PDA

View Full Version : Press Conference Live: Pre-Southampton Friday 1pm

EddieEdwards
15-09-2017, 08:50 AM
https://www.cpfc.co.uk/news/2017/september/watch-roys-first-press-conference/

Summary from club Twitter feed here (http://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?p=13846717#post13846717).

bubbs11
15-09-2017, 09:01 AM
Will this be a welcome manager/pre match mash up?

Just wondering if Parish will there. If he is, it will be interesting. I don't think he will be though.

Purepalace
15-09-2017, 09:04 AM

Just wondering if Parish will there. If he is, it will be interesting. I don't think he will be though.

Maybe Dougie?

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
15-09-2017, 09:08 AM

Doubt he will be there. He would just get a ton of questions about FDB which isn't what he wants. Focus needs to be on Roy, the squad and the match tomorrow.

Payroll Legend
15-09-2017, 09:15 AM
Doubt he will be there. He would just get a ton of questions about FDB which isn't what he wants. Focus needs to be on Roy, the squad and the match tomorrow.

I would imagine that's bang on

wrightchipvcfc
15-09-2017, 09:40 AM
Been very low key Roy coming few words in his car at training ground no all singing and dancing press conference like for fdb pardew ect it's a bit embarrassing so can understand just trying to move on with as little publicity as poss.

viking's no1
15-09-2017, 10:14 AM
Been very low key Roy coming few words in his car at training ground no all singing and dancing press conference like for fdb pardew ect it's a bit embarrassing so can understand just trying to move on with as little publicity as poss.
Maybe no fireworks at a joining press conference but Roy has been on Palace TV and several radio stations which have then been picked up by the national media. I think the publicity has been bang on.

bubbs11
15-09-2017, 10:39 AM

Spoil sport! :)

Chillo
15-09-2017, 12:03 PM
So is this happening and it is available for anyone who doesn't want to log into faceache?! :wallbash:

palacea
15-09-2017, 12:04 PM
So is this happening and it is available for anyone who doesn't want to log into faceache?! :wallbash:

He's out and I'll be buggered if it even works on bookface

Big Gav
15-09-2017, 12:04 PM
I'm logged into facebook and get an error message

beef
15-09-2017, 12:14 PM

I'm not logged in and it works (surprisingly!)

Vendy
15-09-2017, 12:17 PM
Live Text on BBC if anyone wants to do it that way.

Vendy
15-09-2017, 12:18 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/41277850

Excowboy
15-09-2017, 12:19 PM
Good press conference. Roy knows what he's doing.

Tomkins and RLC fit, Sakho and Souare injury free but short of match fitness.

chelmsfordeagle
i had no problem with the feed. its just finished. Loftus Cheek and Tomkins are back. Sahko and Souare still not match fit. Wilf injured.

palace_burger

Worked a treat for me

Marksf
15-09-2017, 12:20 PM
Thought he came across very well.

Sounded to me like Sakho & Souare may play on Tuesday?

Mictor Voses
15-09-2017, 12:21 PM
Really enjoyed that and nice to have it streamed clearly via facebook. The way that Roy speaks to the media reminds me of Pulis and Allardyce. Straight talking, to the point and very assured of himself.

Injury updates: Tompkins and RLC fit for tomorrow. Wilf "a little bit further out". Sakho and Pape fit but need some match fitness so unlikely to be involved tomorrow. Roy did mention that Tuesday's game will be useful in order to look at other players so hopefully they will get a run out then.

sunshine lucas
Any mention of Sako?

ExiledStirling
Short and sweet from him. He inspired confidence that he knows what he is doing.

johnbush
15-09-2017, 12:22 PM
He's out and I'll be buggered if it even works on bookface
Consider yourself buggered.

MFBias
15-09-2017, 12:22 PM
Feed worked well, need to say that as people only moan when it doesnt work.

JackTheBiscuit
15-09-2017, 12:24 PM
Really enjoyed that and nice to have it streamed clearly via facebook. The way that Roy speaks to the media reminds me of Pulis and Allardyce. Straight talking, to the point and very assured of himself.

Yes I am feeling a lot more upbeat about him after that

SilentAssassin
Best press conference I have seen from a manager of ours since we have been in the Premier League.

viking's no1
Doesn't work for armchair fans :D

firesign
15-09-2017, 12:25 PM
"[As a boy] If someone told me I wouldn't have been good enough to play for Palace, but I'd be good enough to manage them, I'd take that."

:p

glenn.f
15-09-2017, 12:26 PM
Thought he came across very well.

Sounded to me like Sakho & Souare may play on Tuesday?

Echo this, apart from his shell shocked and forced press conference after the Iceland game, he's always come across well. Wily enough to fend off those questions designed to trip him up isn't he.
Irritating that the press can't let his spell with England go though, bit like those supporters that have him defined by that period.

PremierPalace
"[As a boy] If someone told me I wouldn't have been good enough to play for Palace, but I'd be good enough to manage them, I'd take that."

I liked that. Thought he came across well.

East-End Eagle
Any news on our injured star trio?

chrisophiex
Love the way he said CPFC represents south London.

Lovely stuff.

Excowboy
15-09-2017, 12:27 PM
Any mention of Sako?

Nope

regal_eagle
Cool, calm and collected
http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/wp-content/gallery/young-roy-hodgson/pa-159146.jpg

norwoodeagle
Good feed on Facebook.
Roy the consummate professional - spoke to all the journos by their first name.
Clear about what his and the teams objectives are.
I wish him and the team well for Saturday.

chrisophiex
15-09-2017, 12:28 PM
Cool, calm and collected
http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/wp-content/gallery/young-roy-hodgson/pa-159146.jpg

Didn't know he was in Kraftwerk / Joy Division (take your pick)

Big Gav
15-09-2017, 12:33 PM
Feed worked well, need to say that as people only moan when it doesnt work.

No moaning from me just said it wasn't working

Big Gav
Doesn't work for armchair fans :D

Season ticket holder again knobber :supergrin:

CharlieCPFC
Very, very impressed.

The whole England ridicule from what we know is an absolute c**t of a media has probably influenced a lot of us to be concnerned or even have a negative opinion of Hodgson with myself included in that.

I'm convinced he will get this right, if the players can't take to a man like that they are the problem. His confidence talking about staying in this league was refreshing to see and must breed through to the players.

regal_eagle
15-09-2017, 12:34 PM

/ The Godfather

EddieEdwards
15-09-2017, 12:35 PM
Bottom up...

That's it from the boss. Thanks for following on here and Facebook. Full video will be on http://eagles.cpfc.co.uk this afternoon!

RH: Ruben and James Tomkins are both back fit.

RH: Wilf has more rehab to do. Mama looks good, training every day but not played. Pape same, what an incredible comeback.

RH: There's no doubt in the players' minds about the importance of this game. It would be good to win. It's up to them.

RH: I was heartened by what I saw against Burnley last weekend.

RH: We've begun our work here. We want to bring success to the team, but it will take more than three training sessions.

RH: [As a boy] If someone told me I wouldn't have been good enough to play for #CPFC but I'd be good enough to manage them, I'd take that!

RH: I'm not looking at just the next 4 matches, I'm looking at the next 34.

RH: Styles of play depend on players. I've seen a lot of Palace over the past 5 years, the players have progressed and improved.

RH: It's a 34 game season for us. Our focus is on May, not the end of September. Nothing is decided in the league by September.

RH: You always draw on experiences, sometimes without even knowing it. I'm hoping that will help.

RH: I feel very good, very excited. It's been a hectic week working with the players. Now it's all about #CRYSOU!

Roy Hodgson's first press conference as #CPFC boss will be live on Facebook at 1pm.

firesign
15-09-2017, 12:42 PM
from BBC

• "I am feeling very good and very excited, it has been a hectic week, last three days working with the players and getting to know them. Now it is all about tomorrow and seeing what the outcome is of our work this week, really excited and hopefully fans will be behind us."

• "I think you always draw on previous experiences, sometimes without even realising you are. The training is always evolving, the game is always evolving, I am hoping my experience will help and as far as where it sits in the challenges I face, I think that's a very difficult question to answer. Weve had a bad start and handicapped ourselves by not taking any points so far, but the one point I've made to the players is that our focus is on May and not the end of September. Teams aren't relegated at the end of September. Who doesn't want to see character, who doesn't want to see discipline."

• "I'm hopeful and enthusiastic about what we're going to achieve. I'm a Premier League manager. I am fully aware the team have started badly and I expect the pressure of the job. I am hoping my experience will help. Where it sits in order of challenges I have faced is difficult to answer, with Fulham I had 18 games and 12 with West Brom, this is quite different. It is a 34 games season, had a bad start, handicapped ourselves by not taking any points, 34 to goals. I said to players that our focus is on May, not the end of September. Leagues are not won at end of September and teams not relegated at end of September. Everything evolves in the Premier League, it's bigger and bigger. We are the league where the top players want to play and the league which makes the most money. There has definitely been an evolution in the right way."

• "All styles of play depend on players who play game. It is difficult to impose style that they are not comfortable with. I have seen quite a lot of Palace over the last five years. I have got a clear idea of what works for them and the style needed to be one that wins football matches."

• "I believe the team will stay up absolutely. I wouldn't have taken the job if I didn't believe I and my coaching staff were the right people. This could be a very good year."

• "I have not questioned myself [about England departure]. Matches do get lost, especially in tournament football. I enjoyed my time with England, it was a huge honour, very good memories, and unfortunately that chapter has gone. I am now focused on the next one, as far as I am concerned it’s Palace, Palace, Palace. This club has a strong fan base, there is a feeling it represents south London and means a lot to people born here or live in area. All that matters to me. Hopefully they are enthusiastic of what we are going to achieve."

• "[As a boy] If someone told me I wouldn't have been good enough to play for Palace, but I'd be good enough to manage them, I'd take that."

• "I was heartened by what I saw on TV in the Burnley game. I saw a team that dominated the game and defended well. The least I can hope for is to reproduce that tomorrow. There is no doubt in my players' minds about the importance of the game and how much it would be a good game to win, these 11 select need to show it on the field of play."

• "James Tomkins and Ruben Loftus-Cheek are now fit. Mamadou Sakho and Pape Souare are still pushing for match fitness. Wilfried Zaha has more rehab to do. Sakho looks good, training every day but not played. Pape Souare same, what an incredible comeback."

mcmean
15-09-2017, 12:45 PM
Go on Roy! Spoke well

cdm61
15-09-2017, 12:46 PM
Well what a breath of fresh air he is - down to earth - calm and assured - if I were playing for him I'd have a lot of confidence in his experience and his style - now lets see how it works out in the game - really looking forward to tommorrow

The Omen
15-09-2017, 12:52 PM
Sounds good. He's a Palace fan. He stood on the terraces at Selhurst. How can people not get behind him? He is living the dream - whether it be to play or manage the team you support. There is no way anyone can doubt he has the best intentions for Palace at heart. He has lots of experience abroad, internationally and even more importantly, in the Premier League.

Let's get three points on Saturday and kick start our season.

Maidstoned Eagle
15-09-2017, 12:53 PM
Any news on our injured star trio?

Yes.

East-End Eagle
15-09-2017, 12:56 PM
Yes.

Yep saw it. Good news. Didn't expect wilf to be ready, or sakho, but good that rlc and Tomkins are back

beef
15-09-2017, 01:02 PM
Enjoyed his response to whether he is suited more to club football

Jim Cannon
15-09-2017, 01:04 PM

Also a henchman for the Krays

El Aguila
15-09-2017, 01:09 PM
Very, very impressed.

The whole England ridicule from what we know is an absolute c**t of a media has probably influenced a lot of us to be concnerned or even have a negative opinion of Hodgson with myself included in that.

I'm convinced he will get this right, if the players can't take to a man like that they are the problem. His confidence talking about staying in this league was refreshing to see and must breed through to the players.

On a similar note, it will be interesting to see how he manages Steve Parish.

Ooh Betty
15-09-2017, 01:12 PM
I thought he came across very well. Feels a lot more positive now.

Payroll Legend
15-09-2017, 01:22 PM
He's all over it isn't he. Lots of enthusiasm there, lots of drive.

I'd like to think this could really work.

Jimmy Eagle
15-09-2017, 01:27 PM
Enjoyed his response to whether he is suited more to club football

go on....

PHIL BARBER
15-09-2017, 01:32 PM
Come on Roy we love someone who has something to prove at Palace, he's interviews have reenergised me I feel hope and excitement.

Maidstoned Eagle
15-09-2017, 01:34 PM
Top 15 here we come! :)

scro
15-09-2017, 01:35 PM
I cannot rewrite history. I despised him as England Manager. I thought he showed himself to be a one dimensional dinosaur whose expertise looked stuck way back sometime in the 80's (possibly later but you get my drift). He just never looked like making a success of it.

However two things have taken me by surprise already. How well he has spoken and how reassuring that has been since arriving and secondly the groundswell of support he is receiving amongst the palace faithful already. This has taken me by surprise but i am finding myself unexpectedly infected by it and prepared to go along with it.

Se9 eagles
15-09-2017, 01:36 PM
Any mention of Sako?

'On a diet'...

firstgame63cpfc
15-09-2017, 01:40 PM
I cannot rewrite history. I despised him as England Manager. I thought he showed himself to be a one dimensional dinosaur whose expertise looked stuck way back sometime in the 80's (possibly later but you get my drift). He just never looked like making a success of it.

However two things have taken me by surprise already. How well he has spoken and how reassuring that has been since arriving and secondly the groundswell of support he is receiving amongst the palace faithful already. This has taken me by surprise but i am finding myself unexpectedly infected by it and prepared to go along with it.

Good on you:p

I feel so much more confident after listening to him, think
the players will too:lux:

KevMason98
15-09-2017, 01:43 PM
To me..... this is was the right decision.
We could have waited, but it would have taken longer to get the spirit back........

I think we all agree that the passing football we were playing was very good, but we just didn't have the players to execute it at pace, under the pressure of other premiership players closing us down.
Most of our goals against came from us giving the ball away under pressure.
It's obvious to me that after 3 games we wouldn't win another playing like that and playing the formation we did against Burnley we would win most.
If I can work that out then so can the players.
If we go back to 4-3-3 we don't need De Boer because he's not used to playing like that.
Roy (or Sam) are.
And would be more experienced managers playing in that style.
If you read the article below.. De Boer's man management skills were not conducive to a good team spirit.

We've seen worse... most of the time.
Remember we are still in the premiership ... we've got the best squad on paper we've ever had assembled at the club... EVER.
We just need leadership and everyone pulling in the same direction.... and that includes US... we can play our part Saturday.

We'll never know the full story, but let's get behind the team Saturday and get the place rocking again.

And anyone who doesn't think Roy's methods for achieving results at this level are any good... his statistics are pretty conclusive and very consistent.

It's a brave decision by our owners to make this decision so early, but the right one.

35% - Roy Hodgson's win percentage as a Premier League manager.
Blackburn 35%
Fulham 34%
Liverpool 35%
West Brom 36%.
Consistent.
— OptaJoe (@OptaJoe) September 12, 2017

Article about management style and player confidence - https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.thesun.co.uk_sport_football_4438371_frank-2Dde-2Dboer-2Dsacked-2Dcrystal-2Dpalace-2Dsteve-2Dparish_&d=DwIFAg&c=SFszdw3oxIkTvaP4xmzq_apLU3uL-3SxdAPNkldf__Q&r=PO2p7GEdyu5jNuNJU6SjwJ6kzR29PJD0JQPnfwtcyNE&m=nBDeNs6DC9Eee4BU6uUxaFoBkNNgY1hu1SjCB6vkse0&s=5N2o14xaBw-wERgha9iXJeNUDTZzf-q4PoN-hc0XJWQ&e=

Fatboy
15-09-2017, 01:43 PM

Return of the Jedi. Welcome back Roy.

Mr Palace
15-09-2017, 01:44 PM
Hoping Sako is back - he's been pictured in training. No one seems to ask about him though - bit of a forgotten player sadly. We could use him in Wilf's absence.

scro
15-09-2017, 01:44 PM
Good on you:p

I feel so much more confident after listening to him, think
the players will too:lux:

Let's face it i defended FdB but there was no way you could claim his media appearances were anything but boring and completely lacking in charm and enthusiasm.

glaziers fan
15-09-2017, 01:45 PM
Hoping Sako is back - he's been pictured in training. No one seems to ask about him though - bit of a forgotten player sadly. We could use him in Wilf's absence.

On the bench hopefully.

Mr Palace
15-09-2017, 01:46 PM
On the bench hopefully.

Hopefully - he'd be a good option from the bench.

GreatGonzo
15-09-2017, 01:47 PM

Given his involvement in training for the past couple of weeks, if he isn't in Leeds tonight then he should be in the squad tomorrow.

ExiledStirling
15-09-2017, 01:52 PM
Season starts tomorrow.

The summer madness is over.

Mr Palace
15-09-2017, 01:53 PM
Given his involvement in training for the past couple of weeks, if he isn't in Leeds tonight then he should be in the squad tomorrow.

Good point. I know most of us don't like him but I'm still holding out hope. He's got a great shot on him and is very direct. If he can only stay fit for a prolonged period he could be useful. How many players do we say that about though...

Stellavista
15-09-2017, 01:53 PM
Season starts tomorrow.

The summer madness is over.

Now for the winter madness....

ExiledStirling
15-09-2017, 01:55 PM
:D

brighton_eagle
15-09-2017, 01:55 PM
He speaks very well, makes a lot of sense, is realistic and straightforward and is clearly very happy to have the job and full of energy. He's also polite and a gentleman. I like him, and I'm feeling very positive about the future.

Obviously time, and results, will tell, but I've a feeling this could turn out to be a very good appointment.

art malice
15-09-2017, 02:02 PM
He speaks very well, makes a lot of sense, is realistic and straightforward and is clearly very happy to have the job and full of energy. He's also polite and a gentleman. I like him, and I'm feeling very positive about the future.

Obviously time, and results, will tell, but I've a feeling this could turn out to be a very good appointment.

Same.

Was he interviewed for the job in the summer?

Frisky
15-09-2017, 02:02 PM
Blackburn 35%
Fulham 34%
Liverpool 35%
West Brom 36%.
Consistent.
OptaJoe (@OptaJoe) September 12, 2017

And,coincidence or not, if we win 35% of our remaining 34 games we'll have 12 wins - widely see as the number needed to stay up.

Spanish Dan
15-09-2017, 02:06 PM
And,coincidence or not, if we win 35% of our remaining 34 games we'll have 12 wins - widely see as the number needed to stay up.
Plus 5-10 draws will see us safely over 40 points.

Worksop Palace
15-09-2017, 02:07 PM
We could have waited, but it would have taken longer to get the spirit back........

I think we all agree that the passing football we were playing was very good, but we just didn't have the players to execute it at pace, under the pressure of other premiership players closing us down.
It's obvious to me that after 3 games we wouldn't win another playing like that and playing the formation we did against Burnley we would win most.
If we go back to 4-3-3 we don't need De Boer because he's not used to playing like that.
Roy (or Sam) are.
If you read the article below.. De Boer's man management skills were not conducive to a good team spirit.

Remember we are still in the premiership ... we've got the best squad on paper we've ever had assembled at the club... EVER.
We just need leadership and everyone pulling in the same direction.... and that includes US... we can play our part Saturday.

We'll never know the full story, but let's get behind the team Saturday and get the place rocking again.

And anyone who doesn't think Roy's methods for achieving results at this level are any good... his statistics are pretty conclusive and very consistent.

It's a brave decision by our owners to make this decision so early, but the right one.

Blackburn 35%
Fulham 34%
Liverpool 35%
West Brom 36%.
Consistent.

Article about management style and player confidence - https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.thesun.co.uk_sport_football_4438371_frank-2Dde-2Dboer-2Dsacked-2Dcrystal-2Dpalace-2Dsteve-2Dparish_&d=DwIFAg&c=SFszdw3oxIkTvaP4xmzq_apLU3uL-3SxdAPNkldf__Q&r=PO2p7GEdyu5jNuNJU6SjwJ6kzR29PJD0JQPnfwtcyNE&m=nBDeNs6DC9Eee4BU6uUxaFoBkNNgY1hu1SjCB6vkse0&s=5N2o14xaBw-wERgha9iXJeNUDTZzf-q4PoN-hc0XJWQ&e=

He will probably have to up that for us to stay up

regal_eagle
15-09-2017, 02:09 PM

In training...for man vs food?

scro
15-09-2017, 02:11 PM
11 wins is always enough in reality with the draws teams capable of achieving that pick up.

GreatGonzo
15-09-2017, 02:11 PM
Good point. I know most of us don't like him but I'm still holding out hope. He's got a great shot on him and is very direct. If he can only stay fit for a prolonged period he could be useful. How many players do we say that about though...

Had he played last week instead of Lee, i am pretty sure we don't concede that goal.

Mind you have anyone started last week instead of Lee i don't think we would have conceded that goal!

GreatGonzo
15-09-2017, 02:13 PM
11 wins is always enough in reality with the draws teams capable of achieving that pick up.

10 wins, 10 draws and 18 defeats keeps you up almost every year and certainly in recent years.

aj4england
15-09-2017, 02:45 PM

Roy (or Sam) are.

Blackburn 35%
Fulham 34%
Liverpool 35%
West Brom 36%.
Consistent.

Stop talking sense! :lux:

Jacko
15-09-2017, 02:54 PM
:p:lux:

from BBC

"This club has a strong fan base, there is a feeling it represents south London and means a lot to people born here or live in area. All that matters to me. Hopefully they are enthusiastic of what we are going to achieve."

If someone told me I wouldn't have been good enough to play for Palace, but I'd be good enough to manage them, I'd take that."

old git
15-09-2017, 02:56 PM

If we win 35% of our remaining games we will have around 35/36 points ,add a few draws and job done.

Windsor_Eagle
15-09-2017, 02:57 PM
On a similar note, it will be interesting to see how he manages Steve Parish.

Something tells me that their relationship will be far from fractious. Roy strikes me as somebody (at least in his advancing years) who is beyond the stress of needing money to 'build' something in his vision. He seems to get most out of the day to day interaction with the squad.

Likewise I think Parish will quite like RH's understated nature and calm almost father-like figure.

Windsor_Eagle
15-09-2017, 02:59 PM

Roy was not the problem at England. England has been a problem for years.

Sadly, anyone managing England get tainted by it. Glad that it is being washed off by Palace and we can get some support for the guy. COYP!

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
15-09-2017, 03:14 PM
I'm certainly warming to him - I find him humble, confident and just well mannered. No idea if it will translate to results but it is nice to have a likeable man in charge.

Good to hear that Tomkins and particularly RLC are available.

montrealeagle
15-09-2017, 03:22 PM
Zaha still out - and to think when he complained about being kicked off the park the ref threatened to book him !!

Penstone Eagle
15-09-2017, 03:22 PM

Autumn first.

Green Bin
15-09-2017, 03:34 PM

He's probably working on his next injury!

If people can write off Riedewald after one game, or MacArthur as being a journeyman, or Ward as being ineffective and past it, we should certainly be giving this guy notice, he got off to a lucky start with a couple of streaky goals and a cross or two, but he's too slow to be get through the sort of defensive/offensive work that AT, Wilf and Bolaise when he was here do...he seems to have no acceleration.

Shame... he seemed to have all the makings of being a decent player for us based on reports from Wolves fans, but he's been a complete washout

bodger
15-09-2017, 03:35 PM

I would say most of us want him to be fit like he was in his first few games. His condition is a disgrace if he worked hard like Pape has he would have played.

Chillo
15-09-2017, 03:40 PM
Zaha still out - and to think when he complained about being kicked off the park the ref threatened to book him !!

That referee was Jon Moss (not the Culture Club drummer).

Payroll Legend
15-09-2017, 03:40 PM
He's a unit. Maybe he needs games to get fit but can't get games because he's not good enough or injured again.

Payroll Legend
15-09-2017, 03:41 PM
That referee was Jon Moss (not the Culture Club drummer).

No it was the Culture Club drummer.

Maidstoned Eagle
15-09-2017, 03:49 PM
Same.

Was he interviewed for the job in the summer?

I heard he was advising SP on his managerial search. He suggested Silva and Pellegrini/o, when they slipped through the net FdB got the job.

Lombardo's hair
15-09-2017, 04:02 PM
Very, very impressed.

Sorry but I for one don't get influenced by media as most of them are ptats. I base my opinion on what I saw and I wasn't impressed

bigend1
15-09-2017, 04:03 PM
What a good interview.

I think, though you don't like to say it, most of the doubts were on his age. Is he past it? Is he losing his marbles? Partly people of that age can become a little forgetful should we say, doddery even.

I think the English media can take some blame too. Once they decided Roy wasn't the man anymore lots of the coverage seemed to emphasise him looking a bit confused! The power of the media I suppose.

This was about palace. He looks old (though not bad at all for 70) but he's sharp. He's said all of the right things and with his experience that's me convinced he's the guy for the job. He's also a palace man and it's exciting now.

In hindsight he was probably the most qualified manager interested in the job. I fear however the combination of his age meaning he won't be managing with the potential to be here for the next 10 years and with the promise of playing like Ajax frank sold he was overlooked.

I'm delighted, though regretful that Steve & co acted quickly when the problems were inevitable and we've got the right guy in with much of the season to play.

It's a happier place at palace before a ball has been kicked. The next four games are also something of a free pass and hopefully that will be the mindset for the players too so they don't lose confidence as much as they might have without the managerial change and likely being rock bottom after eight games.

Happy days :lux:

sideburns7
15-09-2017, 04:20 PM
Also a henchman for the Krays

Also a hint of Martin Kemp spandau or east enders

Wycombe Eagle#2
15-09-2017, 04:22 PM
Roy was not the problem at England. England has been a problem for years.

Sadly, anyone managing England get tainted by it. Glad that it is being washed off by Palace and we can get some support for the guy. COYP!

I agree with both of you. He was utterly clueless for England and it was horrible football to watch. But you are right and England have been a problem for years now along with their boring style of football. I actually think outside forces dictate the style and personnel for England so I'm prepared to give Roy the benefit of doubt.

I actually think we'll be OK. Once everyone is fully fit we have a very stron starting 11 which shouldn't be flirting anywhere near relegation.

Maidstoned Eagle
15-09-2017, 05:02 PM
I am now more confident we will avoid relegation, he came across well. Of course that feeling could be gone by tomorrow

Billy Rhino
15-09-2017, 05:04 PM
I agree with both of you. He was utterly clueless for England and it was horrible football to watch. But you are right and England have been a problem for years now along with their boring style of football. I actually think outside forces dictate the style and personnel for England so I'm prepared to give Roy the benefit of doubt.

I actually think we'll be OK. Once everyone is fully fit we have a very stron starting 11 which shouldn't be flirting anywhere near relegation.

I went to watch England v France under him and thought we looked really good, so much so I even started to get a bit optimistic about the Euros (you'd think I'd have learned by now). Managing some of the prima donnas that play for England can't be easy.

Wycombe Eagle#2
15-09-2017, 05:15 PM
I went to watch England v France under him and thought we looked really good, so much so I even started to get a bit optimistic about the Euros (you'd think I'd have learned by now). Managing some of the prima donnas that play for England can't be easy.

England always look half decent in friendlies though no matter who has been in charge. It's when it counts they look hopeless.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
15-09-2017, 05:34 PM
I am now more confident we will avoid relegation, he came across well. Of course that feeling could be gone by tomorrow
I think a lot of that will be down to the fitness of our key players. We need at least 4 (maybe 5) of Wilf, Sakho Benteke, Cabaye and Loftus-Cheek to be fit for the majority of the season from here.

Another positive with Hodgson though, when we are a bit adrift after only 8 games, possibly even on zero points, I like to think that a manager of his experience will not panic in the way someone less experienced might.

trufan
15-09-2017, 05:44 PM
It's a happier place at palace before a ball has been kicked.

I sincerely hope we're still thinking that this time tomorrow. I fear we could enter a tailspin if things don't turn quickly. We've played our Joker early this time - rather than in December as per usual. It simply has to work.

Fingers crossed . . . :vader:

old traf
15-09-2017, 05:49 PM

No he wasn't, how the fxxk do you think he got to play in the later stages? it was two years of qualifying to get there,as i recall he didn't loose a game, his England record was lost 7 games out of 50 odd.
He lost two games in our group, every manager of England for the last 30 odd years has lost at the final stages except one who got to the semi's.

bigGcpfc
15-09-2017, 06:03 PM
What a good interview.

It's a happier place at palace before a ball has been kicked. The next four games are also something of a free pass and hopefully that will be the mindset for the players too so they don't lose confidence as much as they might have without the managerial change and likely being rock bottom after eight games.

Happy days :lux:

When you say the next 4 games are something of a free pass they aren't really. We need to get something out of them. I said after the Huddersfield game that we will lose our first 8 games so our season will be over 30 games and i don't think we will get enough points from those 30 games. I'm a real pessimist about RH but if he does work the oracle I will be pleased to say I was wrong.

BinfieldEagle
15-09-2017, 06:14 PM
Hublot certainly got their money's worth in that presser.
Could hardly have held his wrist up more! Sometimes even seemed that he'd let it drop and whipped it back into view of the camera.

SE25 exile
15-09-2017, 06:15 PM
Good interview, and I was particularly impressed with his overall attitude towards the club and the fans. He has only been with us for two training sessions and he talking up the club and the fans as if he has been here for years. This is in marked contrast with Pulis and FDB, in particular. I think he is going to be a very good thing for Palace, very loyal, and will raise our profile to where it should be. I wish him and the squad well together.

WLYWLYAWYPWF
15-09-2017, 07:49 PM

His worst Points per game return is 1.35 at WBA according to Transfermarkt.com

34.x 1.35 = 45.9

Chill blud.

ShireEagle
15-09-2017, 11:42 PM
I think like many of us I had reservations about Roy, how he would be able to cope with the pressures and demands on a Premier League manager at his age, whether the England experience had 'damaged' him.

But since he was appointed I have warmed to him more and more. Above all else he appears to be a great person. Over the last few days many ex players and coaching staff he has worked with have come out and universally praised him even the bigger name players have nothing but support for him.

I've supported Palace for over 40 years. It is/was my local club - all my family support Palace. Like I did when I was a young boy, I still have dreams that we will be able to compete with the big boys - I still believe in our potential. If that could be achieved at a time when we have a chairman, manager and captain who regardless of whether you like them or not, believe they've made mistakes or not, etc..) if we could achieve success with these guys at the forefront - how special would that be...

I've sensed many of the initial doubters (like me) have come around to Roy. His personality, good will, passion have turned me around. I know he will make mistakes, pick players I wouldn't - but I also know he will try his best, do what is best for Palace and has Palace in his heart. At the end of the day that is all I can ask.

I hope on Saturday before the game he is given the ovation a local Croydon boy who supported us on the Holmesdale terrace truly deserves. I'll be watching on a stream from Oz - lets have that atmosphere back where it belongs.

Lets hope again.

COYP

01CPFC
15-09-2017, 11:56 PM

So what are your expectations after 4 days in the job?
Idiot!
coyp

danpalace07
16-09-2017, 03:15 AM
I can see us taking to him very quickly if he keeps that up. Classy man and I reckon a proper Palace manager.

Cpfcbob
16-09-2017, 05:40 AM
Just watched pre-match press conf, the guy is a total dinosaur! He refers to us as a premiership club ffs! The 'Premier League' dropped the label 'Premiership' in May 2007.

Samuel
16-09-2017, 05:53 AM
Just watched pre-match press conf, the guy is a total dinosaur! He refers to us as a premiership club ffs! The 'Premier League' dropped the label 'Premiership' in May 2007.

Who cares what the First Division calls itself? Despite using slightly incorrect terminology for the name of the league, Roy came across well by answering the questions openly, intelligently and honestly. Surely the substance of what he was saying was more important than the use of the word "Premiership"?

Cpfcbob
16-09-2017, 06:00 AM
Who cares what the First Division calls itself? Despite using slightly incorrect terminology for the name of the league, Roy came across well by answering the questions openly, intelligently and honestly. Surely the substance of what he was saying was more important than the use of the word "Premiership"?

I thought he set himself up to expect a bunch of losses, saying we are looking at where we are in may rather than short-term & haven't had time to really talk to the squad.

Samuel
16-09-2017, 06:05 AM
I thought he set himself up to expect a bunch of losses, saying we are looking at where we are in may rather than short-term & haven't had time to really talk to the squad.

Fair enough, but personally I care more about where we finish in May than more short term.

He said he's been looking to get to know the squad over the last three days, but how much more is it realistic to expect over such a short period of time? Would you rather he lied and said he was 100% sure exactly what his best team was already?

SilentAssassin
16-09-2017, 06:49 AM

So what?

McpfcS
16-09-2017, 06:51 AM

Embarrassed yourself

Payroll Legend
16-09-2017, 06:57 AM
I think like many of us I had reservations about Roy, how he would be able to cope with the pressures and demands on a Premier League manager at his age, whether the England experience had 'damaged' him.

But since he was appointed I have warmed to him more and more. Above all else he appears to be a great person. Over the last few days many ex players and coaching staff he has worked with have come out and universally praised him even the bigger name players have nothing but support for him.

I've supported Palace for over 40 years. It is/was my local club - all my family support Palace. Like I did when I was a young boy, I still have dreams that we will be able to compete with the big boys - I still believe in our potential. If that could be achieved at a time when we have a chairman, manager and captain who regardless of whether you like them or not, believe they've made mistakes or not, etc..) if we could achieve success with these guys at the forefront - how special would that be...

I've sensed many of the initial doubters (like me) have come around to Roy. His personality, good will, passion have turned me around. I know he will make mistakes, pick players I wouldn't - but I also know he will try his best, do what is best for Palace and has Palace in his heart. At the end of the day that is all I can ask.

I hope on Saturday before the game he is given the ovation a local Croydon boy who supported us on the Holmesdale terrace truly deserves. I'll be watching on a stream from Oz - lets have that atmosphere back where it belongs.

Lets hope again.

COYP

You should post more often

Nostrils
16-09-2017, 07:01 AM
It was a deflection tactic - if he'd answered differently, they would've wheeled out the old "must win?". Instead he's managed to avoid putting any extra pressure on himself or the players. If you're looking to find fault, you'll find it, but look a bit further and you'll find it was quite canny.

He's sharper than I expected.

SussexRed&Blue
16-09-2017, 07:49 AM
Roy talking about the long haul about getting the job done over 38 games is a wise move. Takes the immediate pressure away from the players.

Really don't like the term "Must Win" as it loads pressure on and you end up paralysed with fear to get the immediate outcome.

He has probably come in at the right time and although we have tough games against the big boys coming up we have got results against them in the past.

Going to be interesting to see the side Roy picks today. I fancy us to score today!

Brod
16-09-2017, 08:39 AM
When you say the next 4 games are something of a free pass they aren't really. We need to get something out of them. I said after the Huddersfield game that we will lose our first 8 games so our season will be over 30 games and i don't think we will get enough points from those 30 games. I'm a real pessimist about RH but if he does work the oracle I will be pleased to say I was wrong.
Well, if we lose the next 4 (entirely possible) and THEN get 1.35 a game, we'll get to 40 points. Usually enough.

Martin H
16-09-2017, 08:44 AM
Reading this thread, listening to the FYP podcast and adding in our own reactions here it is striking how much impact the press conference/hearing and seeing the Manager talk has on perception or the Manager.

In practice it offers no indication of the effectiveness of the Manager but it does seem to me that it has a massive filtering impact on our perception of how good they are and the patience we will show. It's an instinctive thing and maybe we might not want to admit some of the components of that reaction apply to us. It's a filter and winning or losing all four has an impact too :D so 4 wins on the bounce please Roy.

westsussexcpfc
16-09-2017, 09:09 AM
The media in general don't like us and you need to read between the lines and examine things written very closely or you can get the wrong idea.
The BBC mentioned a couple of records we could break, Ipswich are the only top flight team who failed to score in their opening five games (70/71)(2 were draws) and the premiership record for the first goal in a season is 438mins, Newcastle (05/06).
When you look at us possibly breaking both records it doesn't seem to good but the thing they failed to mention is that both teams stayed up and Newcastle finished 7th.
The media and a lot of fans want us to go down because of Roy and Iceland, we need to get behind him and the team to annoy them all.

Reg_Maudling
16-09-2017, 09:41 AM
on arrival Roy was, as he said, now "Crystal Palace, Crystal Palace, Crystal Palace"

FDB would never have been that in three years

Shipp Ahoy!
16-09-2017, 09:45 AM
Reading this thread, listening to the FYP podcast and adding in our own reactions here it is striking how much impact the press conference/hearing and seeing the Manager talk has on perception or the Manager.

In practice it offers no indication of the effectiveness of the Manager but it does seem to me that it has a massive filtering impact on our perception of how good they are and the patience we will show. It's an instinctive thing and maybe we might not want to admit some of the components of that reaction apply to us. It's a filter and winning or losing all four has an impact too :D so 4 wins on the bounce please Roy.

Very true.

Thing is, its not a bad reflection of the trurh as we have seen the players can have a big impact on how a manager does. If the natural feeling from hearing Roy is a good one, there's a decent chance the players will feel the same.

Martin H
16-09-2017, 10:14 AM
The media in general don't like us and you need to read between the lines and examine things written very closely or you can get the wrong idea.
The BBC mentioned a couple of records we could break, Ipswich are the only top flight team who failed to score in their opening five games (70/71)(2 were draws) and the premiership record for the first goal in a season is 438mins, Newcastle (05/06).
When you look at us possibly breaking both records it doesn't seem to good but the thing they failed to mention is that both teams stayed up and Newcastle finished 7th.
The media and a lot of fans want us to go down because of Roy and Iceland, we need to get behind him and the team to annoy them all.

Not sure if the media want us to go down because of Roy. I think they just think we are a tinpot club who should 'know their place' and it's just a matter of time before we go down. Sneers when we sign good players or well known Managers and the thought of us playing good football horrifies them. We should just be defending and hoping for a goal on the break or the odd set piece. Anything more is above our station. Many of our fans seem to agree with them it seems (this isn't about FDB it's about the reaction to any elevation of our game that goes way back).

Can't blame them I guess for preferring being spoilt at OT etc by the big established clubs but they also seem to have a love affair with clubs like Bournemouth, a love that never seemed to apply to Palace somehow. I do think the HF started to shift perceptions but that seems to have worn off.

I would add that I always make a point of watching the press conferences video because the reporting always distorts what is said.

Cpfcbob
16-09-2017, 04:17 PM
Embarrassed yourself

Ehhhh who embarrassed? Roy is bog-standard at best. He is way-way past his sell-by date. Wake up ffs! Go look at his presser when England was knocked out by Iceland.
It shows he was finished in football then, found out. Everyone knew it, yet he then had the audacity to use his eng cv to get a job back in the prem league.