PDA

View Full Version : Abuse of Roy Hodgson - merged threads

CPFC.1990
16-09-2017, 03:12 PM
Is that the first time in Palace history a new Palace manager has been booed in his first game for a tactical/necessary substitution?

I remember Francis getting a few groans as he walked out for the first time, but this was different.

Pretty sad to hear to be honest, especially as RLC clearly had to go off.

Wolfnipplechips
16-09-2017, 03:14 PM
Is that the first time in Palace history a new Palace manager has been booed in his first game for a tactical/necessary substitution?

I remember Francis getting a few groans as he walked out for the first time, but this was different.

I think the booing was of the decision not the bloke.

Don't dwell on it. We've been watching total dross at home for a ******* long time.

Kylie_Tracey
16-09-2017, 03:15 PM
we will see even more lows before the season is out, the substitution was insane though

CornishPalace
16-09-2017, 03:17 PM
we will see even more lows before the season is out, the substitution was insane though

So you'd rather keep RLC out on the field when not fit? That worked out well for Zaha in our first game!?!

Wolfnipplechips
16-09-2017, 03:18 PM

The substitution may well have been necessary. RLC has been out injured.

Kylie_Tracey
16-09-2017, 03:18 PM
So you'd rather keep RLC out on the field when not fit? That worked out well for Zaha in our first game!?!

as some have said a one legged Cheek would have been more effective than Punch and Sako

cpfcben
16-09-2017, 03:22 PM
Roy confirmed he was cramping up. It was nothing against Roy. I was just aghast that puncheon was still on the pitch.

CornishPalace
16-09-2017, 03:24 PM
as some have said a one legged Cheek would have been more effective than Punch and Sako

If that really was true (which obviously it isn't) then it still doesn't getaway from the point that he could've risked further injury. If that did happen then I trust you wouldn't be one of the people to moan at Hodgson for keeping him on and causing it???

Kylie_Tracey
16-09-2017, 03:26 PM
If that really was true (which obviously it isn't) then it still doesn't getaway from the point that he could've risked further injury. If that did happen then I trust you wouldn't be one of the people to moan at Hodgson for keeping him on and causing it???

if he had a knock in which he gave no indication he had he could have "run it off"

Reg_Maudling
16-09-2017, 03:27 PM
I hope Roy watches a lot of our recent games very quickly so he can get up to speed about the form of ward and puncheon etc

Shipp Ahoy!
16-09-2017, 03:35 PM

You are a ******* idiot.

If he'd stayed out and then torn his muscle and out for 3-6 months??? :jerkit:

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
16-09-2017, 04:01 PM
Things like this are a consequence of absolutely turgid home form for so, so long. It isn't deliberately aimed at Hodgson personally. The frustration is just (understandably) getting to people.

The amount of times we are a goal behind at home before the game has even settled down.

I wonder what sort of reaction Parish would have got if he had walk out on the pitch at full-time.

CPFC since 1989
16-09-2017, 04:04 PM
Booing the players not the manager. Has become endemic since the BFC was manager.

Shipp Ahoy!
16-09-2017, 04:09 PM
Booing the players not the manager. Has become endemic since the BFC was manager.

It clearly wasn't though.

It was the substitution which was totally correct that was booed!

palacea
16-09-2017, 04:10 PM
My Booing was solely that it should have been punchoen coming off. nothing more.

newish eagle
16-09-2017, 04:12 PM

Don't dwell on it. We've been watching total dross at home for a ******* long time.
Agreed!

Home form has been absolutely woeful for at least three years.

Parish keeps banging on in the programme about us being the 12th man - but if 20k people watch endless defeats and shite performances, something inevitably will give. IMHO - I think we have been more patient than many other crowds would have been given the dreadful performances we have been watching.

Bizarro
16-09-2017, 04:14 PM
The idiots booed the substitution, thankfully we have a manager who knows what he's doing.

bodger
16-09-2017, 04:20 PM
Sorry but Sako has no place on the pitch

Shipp Ahoy!
16-09-2017, 04:22 PM
My Booing was solely that it should have been punchoen coming off. nothing more.

So you would have accepted that at the expense of RLC getting injured then?

:rolleyes:

orp pisshead1
16-09-2017, 04:24 PM
You are a ******* idiot.

^^^^^^^

Ardent Eagle Forever
16-09-2017, 04:26 PM

Agree with this. Taking salary under false pretences, but that's the way of a lot of football players.

We're mugs going to watch it I reckon.

Hemeleagle
16-09-2017, 04:28 PM
Vshould if taken the whole bloody eleven off

Shoreditch CPFC
16-09-2017, 04:31 PM
Well nobody around us realised RLC was injured and therefore we all showed frustration at Punch being left on. He should have gone instead of McArthur anyway. It wasn't booing the manager and to suggest it was is a little silly in my opinion.

Sir.S.C Remembered
16-09-2017, 04:32 PM

Maybe, but sadly our fans have changed. Even the same ones who were there for years.

There is frustration and then getting on the backs of hard-working pros like Ward.

Lydder
16-09-2017, 04:33 PM
Was a crap sub, shows how light we are if Sako shit is our offensive sub.

Shoreditch CPFC
The idiots booed the substitution, thankfully we have a manager who knows what he's doing.

Don't come on here calling your fellow palace fans idiots, unless you'd care to do so in person next game. Most people didn't realise he was injured. That doesn't make us idiots.

MFBias

Why the fake apology? No one is offended.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
16-09-2017, 04:35 PM
It is sad that he has literally been the only positive or cause for hope we have seen all season (despite missing two games). People were just so frustrated at seeing our only bit of hope leave the pitch. It is understandable when we have been so abject and miserable.

CPFC.1990
16-09-2017, 04:40 PM
Well nobody around us realised RLC was injured and therefore we all showed frustration at Punch being left on. He should have gone instead of McArthur anyway. It wasn't booing the manager and to suggest it was is a little silly in my opinion.

Only silly to those who booed.

You booed the decision made by the MANAGER, ergo, you are booing the manager. No one else had to make the decision.

davo
16-09-2017, 04:41 PM
Agree, it was frustration that Puncheon was still on the pitch after another nothing display.

Maiden Eagle
16-09-2017, 04:45 PM

Not on today's evidence ! (And I'm talking about the match in general)

PHIL BARBER
16-09-2017, 04:46 PM
Embarrassing to hear, concerned by what we are becoming felt sad to hear it a new low. Obvious to anyone that RLC was tiring logical after being out for 3 weeks. F...... K off boo boys I hope you disappear where you came from if we go down, chance to ship out poor players and Newly acquired premier league fans.

GrayP41ace
16-09-2017, 04:46 PM
Maybe, but sadly our fans have changed. Even the same ones who were there for years.

There is frustration and then getting on the backs of hard-working pros like Ward.

This mentality is why we don't replace 'hard working' pros and the ability they have will be why we go down. I'd be happy if we did that throughout, but buying £30 million strikers and having honest pros put crosses out for goal kicks is a ******* joke.

TonysSpy
16-09-2017, 04:52 PM
Trying to make out it was Hodgson being booed is just stupid. It clearly was frustration at RLC going off.

I didn't boo, but this I'm a super fan shit is so tiresome. It's football, fans express their views and opinions. Get over it.

Yoda
16-09-2017, 04:56 PM

But it was booing the manager's decision about the substitution.

Who else do you think chose the sub?

I share your frustration that Puncheon wasn't subbed today, but you didn't have to be in the know to spot that RLC was running out of steam, had had a couple of knocks since half time and had been injured until recently.

Ridcully
16-09-2017, 04:57 PM
It was as much that he chose Sako and didn't take punch off.

cpfcben
16-09-2017, 05:00 PM

this

CPFC.1990
16-09-2017, 05:01 PM
But you are by the very definition booing Hodgson by booing HIS decision. I don't see how it's that hard to understand?

mean
16-09-2017, 05:03 PM

If you really think that, then you should watch whats happening on the pitch and you are very stupid.

Kylie_Tracey
16-09-2017, 05:07 PM
If you really think that, then you should watch whats happening on the pitch and you are very stupid.

so you think Sako was going to make a fundamental change to the result? he got more comments about his new hairstyle than what effect he had on the game

thehalifaxman
16-09-2017, 05:14 PM
You are a ******* idiot.

didn't expect people to come in here and admit to booing an hour into a new managers spell for subbing an injured player.

Fatboy
16-09-2017, 05:15 PM
so you think Sako was going to make a fundamental change to the result? he got more comments about his new hairstyle than what effect he had on the game

His debut seems a lifetime ago. That lulled us all into a false sense of stupidity.

adrenalin john
16-09-2017, 05:22 PM

Some managers like to compress space and Sako certainly makes the pitch smaller.

Not through closing down of course but simply by way of comparative size

thehalifaxman
16-09-2017, 05:25 PM
Puncheon trying to gee up the fans and getting abuse from block d was another proud moment for our support. you might think the manager should have selected different players but one of our own getting abuse for trying to lead his team is grim. like arsenal fan level of embarrassing.

surely we are used to this shit ffs why make it worse

Yoda
16-09-2017, 05:28 PM
But you are by the very definition booing Hodgson by booing HIS decision. I don't see how it's that hard to understand?

I think some are demonstrating by their comments that they booed out of frustration and don't really think about how that comes across and how unhelpful it was.

If you recorded the match, watch what Pardew says after the RLC interview and then consider whether your booing was something to be proud of.

Come on the BBS after the match to vent your frustration instead.

But during the match, support or moan to your mate beside you, but no booing please. It's becoming an ugly habit and if you're a fan, you should exercise more self control.

I assure you, I was as frustrated and disappointed by recent events as any other Palace fan there today.

adrenalin john
16-09-2017, 05:33 PM
As to the opening point RLC was clearly not match fit and his effort level was poor on several occasions presumably due to lack of fitness after injury and time out of training.

Hodgson chose to take him off, what were they booing if they weren't booing his decision? Booing a manager's decision is surely booing the manager.

Hadham Eagle
16-09-2017, 05:38 PM
Booing people?? FFS grow up, it achieves nothing and is entirely stupid

mean
16-09-2017, 05:42 PM

RLC was cramped up FFS thats why he had to come off! Watch the game. Or are you completely unconvincingly suggesting its wasn't RLC being taken off you were booing but the waste of space, and money that came on instead?

Kosowski
16-09-2017, 05:47 PM
Puncheon trying to gee up the fans and getting abuse from block d was another proud moment for our support. you might think the manager should have selected different players but one of our own getting abuse for trying to lead his team is grim. like arsenal fan level of embarrassing.

surely we are used to this shit ffs why make it worse

Punch shouldn't even be on the pitch. Any idiot can see it's like playing with ten men yet he continues to start.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
16-09-2017, 05:49 PM
As to the opening point RLC was clearly not match fit and his effort level was poor on several occasions presumably due to lack of fitness after injury and time out of training.

Hodgson chose to take him off, what were they booing if they weren't booing his decision? Booing a manager's decision is surely booing the manager.
I doubt many people stopped to think why they were booing to be honest. I think it was an immediate expression of disappointment at seeing our only bright spark of the season leave the pitch. Of knowing we had no chance of scoring a goal (again).

I agree it isn't helpful but I'm just trying to rationalise it, I don't think it was meant to be personal towards Roy.

Sam Spade
16-09-2017, 05:49 PM
Don't come on here calling your fellow palace fans idiots, unless you'd care to do so in person next game. Most people didn't realise he was injured. That doesn't make us idiots.

Hahaha. Anyone who defends Punch is an idiot apparently. Anyone who has a different opinion about any player is an idiot on today's BBS. Get used to it.

PHIL BARBER
16-09-2017, 06:45 PM

i will happily meet you and call you an idiot, if you were actually watching the game you could see he dropped of the Pace and mistimed a few challenges, which could of resulted in a new injury........ you IDIOT !!!! :jerkit:

glaziers fan
16-09-2017, 06:48 PM

NO. Don't agree. It's not booing Hodgson, it's booing the decision. And perhaps it will help Roy to know who our best players are. Let's face it, he didn't have a clue before this game. Hopefully he knows a little more now. Hopefully he will sub Puncheon and then we will get a chance to cheer Roy Hodgson! ;)

libran
16-09-2017, 06:50 PM
Puncheon trying to gee up the fans and getting abuse from block d was another proud moment for our support.

Total cretins - wish they would do away from our club.

glaziers fan
16-09-2017, 06:51 PM
Roy confirmed he was cramping up. It was nothing against Roy. It was just aghast that puncheon was still on the pitch.

Exactly this.

CPFC.1990
16-09-2017, 06:51 PM
NO. Don't agree. It's not booing Hodgson, it's booing the decision.

The decision made by Hodgson you mean?

glenn.f
16-09-2017, 07:00 PM
We don't half have some simpletons as fans if they couldn't see it was a precautionary substitution of a player who'd missed a number of games and was playing his first minutes of his comeback. Did well to get beyond an hour.

PALACEFAN
16-09-2017, 07:09 PM
Trying to make out it was Hodgson being booed is just stupid. It clearly was frustration at RLC going off.

Since when do people boo because they are frustrated at somone going off injured? If those booing thought for a minute, and watched the game it was fairly obvious.

PALACEFAN
16-09-2017, 07:12 PM
NO. Don't agree. It's not booing Hodgson, it's booing the decision

You mean booing Hodgson's decision? (A perfectly sensible one).

The way those who booed are justifying it.

PALACEFAN
16-09-2017, 07:13 PM

Maybe if you'd thought for a minute....

WLYWLYAWYPWF
16-09-2017, 07:15 PM
Anyone who boos in any walk of life is a cu*t. It is such a wanky way to express displeasure. :jerkit:

palacea
16-09-2017, 07:16 PM
Anyone who boos in any walk of life is a cu*t. It is such a wanky way to express displeasure. :jerkit:

boooo

Les Butler
16-09-2017, 07:19 PM

Boooo

RAB
16-09-2017, 07:24 PM

Pitch invasion with baseball bats would get the message across much better. :rolleyes:

bodger
16-09-2017, 07:25 PM

I might start booing i am fed up calling them cnuts ;).

Heath eagle
16-09-2017, 07:33 PM

Boooo

keltic eagle
16-09-2017, 07:38 PM
I might be wrong but did no one see him speaking to Roy asking to come off or am I needing to read the whole thread? I didn't understand the booing so am confused

bodger
16-09-2017, 07:46 PM
I might be wrong but did no one see him speaking to Roy asking to come off or am I needing to read the whole thread? I didn't understand the booing so am confused

It was the perfect booing storm take off good player leave on poor players bring on fat bloke.

Wolfnipplechips
16-09-2017, 07:53 PM
It was the perfect booing storm take off good player leave on poor players bring on fat bloke.

https://youtu.be/V4o7Y_NW3bQ

Nice bloke, fat bloke.......knows a lot about motors.

Kylie_Tracey
16-09-2017, 07:53 PM

he's a nice bloke, fat bloke, nice and fat

CPFC since 1989
16-09-2017, 09:01 PM
It clearly wasn't though.

It was the substitution which was totally correct that was booed!
Didn't read properly. I thought it was about the booing at the end. I didn't know why during the game but can work it out now, though the player looked knackered.

aashman12
17-09-2017, 06:27 AM

Only for the rest of the game. But not the month or so he'd be missing with an injury due to playing on

New LP
17-09-2017, 06:31 AM
When I hear people boo at games now, or under FDB or Allardyce I always wonder if these were the same people who would have probably kicked off if people had booed Pardew.

New LP
17-09-2017, 06:31 AM

What way do you suggest, not being a **** etc?

Nth Kent Eagle
17-09-2017, 06:43 AM
I'm sure RLC was indicating a tight hamstring just before he was subbed?

Bizarro
17-09-2017, 06:58 AM

Then don't boo our manager's decision in his first match unless you're prepared to tell him where he is going wrong.

palacea
17-09-2017, 07:00 AM
Then don't boo our manager's decision in his first match unless you're prepared to tell him where he is going wrong.

I wonder if you have ever set foot in a stadium as your post seems to say not. Bizarro...

New LP
17-09-2017, 07:26 AM

What way do you suggest, not being a **** etc?

redandblue
17-09-2017, 07:36 AM
NO. Don't agree. It's not booing Hodgson, it's booing the decision. And perhaps it will help Roy to know who our best players are. Let's face it, he didn't have a clue before this game. Hopefully he knows a little more now. Hopefully he will sub Puncheon and then we will get a chance to cheer Roy Hodgson! ;)

I would also say that it is booing the fact that we have nothing on the bench

thehalifaxman
17-09-2017, 07:56 AM
not fair to call the people who boo all game idiots. they are clearly wankers.

AddiscombeEagle
17-09-2017, 08:05 AM
I said at end of game we are lucky to have the HF making noise all game because otherwise we would just have miserable football being played to the sound of half our fans getting on our players backs constantly making it even more miserable.

Martin H
17-09-2017, 08:14 AM
I am not surprised that people are upset right now but even then I was really surprised at the booing. So here is a wonderful young player playing his second home game at Palace and there have been boos from the crowd in both of them. Worst still now, booing as he leaves the pitch when it's pretty obvious it is due to injury/fitness and he had been struggling in the second half until the last run finished him off.

Hodgson is 70 and perhaps better equipped to handle it but I can't imagine what he thought to it either in his first match. It no doubt gave Southampton a lift and their fans a good laugh.

Each to their own I guess but I just can't see the point or how it helps anyone, other than the opposition.

Kylie_Tracey
17-09-2017, 08:15 AM
I wonder if you have ever set foot in a stadium as your post seems to say not. Bizarro...

if those suggesting all fans who boo are wankers etc and shouldn't be allowed to go to games then every football match in the country would have a mere handful of fans in attendance, I doubt he's ever set foot inside a football stadium either with such a daft suggestion

redandblue
17-09-2017, 08:17 AM
not fair to call the people who boo all game idiots. they are clearly wankers.

Are you saying you never have ?

redandblue
17-09-2017, 08:19 AM
I am not surprised that people are upset right now but even then I was really surprised at the booing. So here is a wonderful young player playing his second home game at Palace and there have been boos from the crowd in both of them. Worst still now, booing as he leaves the pitch when it's pretty obvious it is due to injury/fitness and he had been struggling in the second half until the last run finished him off.

Hodgson is 70 and perhaps better equipped to handle it but I can't imagine what he thought to it either in his first match. It no doubt gave Southampton a lift and their fans a good laugh.

Each to their own I guess but I just can't see the point or how it helps anyone, other than the opposition.

Maybe he thought "the fans think I am so much better than the other shower of shit options they would rather me stay in than be replaced by a league one player"

thehalifaxman
17-09-2017, 09:58 AM
Are you saying you never have ?

don't think I have in the premier league. certainly not during a game we are still in. ( and not all gane)

there was a time when we used to take advantage of other teams fans getting in their players backs. Cardiff string to mind in few years before promotion. west ham and Newcastle fans to

glaziers fan
17-09-2017, 10:07 AM
Maybe he thought "the fans think I am so much better than the other shower of shit options they would rather me stay in than be replaced by a league one player"

Well, exactly. It was booing IN SUPPORT of Loftus-Cheek staying on the field. I expect the lad was chuffed to be so highly valued by the Selhurst faithful.

Martin H
17-09-2017, 10:28 AM

naaah don't think so.

Yoda
17-09-2017, 10:52 AM
I've now read several different reasons why people booed, which only goes to demonstrate why it was stupid in this circumstance.

It can be interpreted so many different ways:-

- are they booing the player subbed cos he's been poor?,
- or are they booing the player subbed cos he's been great and should stay on?,
- are they booing because they don't rate the player who is coming on to play?,
- or are they booing because they wanted a different player to be subbed on?
etc etc etc

I think I've only booed once in 30 years of Palace support (Kevin Miller), but can understand it in certain extreme circumstances, e.g. red card violent tackles.

Booing a substitution is entitled Premiership customer behaviour....aren't we meant to be better than that, especially when we know the club is struggling and Hodgson has only just found his parking spot.

Yoda
17-09-2017, 10:53 AM

ForzaPalace
17-09-2017, 10:54 AM
Were they saying boo or Booakary

Nostrils
17-09-2017, 11:53 AM
Booing makes us look like *****, and yes more so than the ones on the pitch.

newish eagle
17-09-2017, 12:01 PM
I've now read several different reasons why people booed, which only goes to demonstrate why it was stupid in this circumstance.

It can be interpreted so many different ways:-

- are they booing the player subbed cos he's been poor?,
- or are they booing the player subbed cos he's been great and should stay on?,
- are they booing because they don't rate the player who is coming on to play?,
- or are they booing because they wanted a different player to be subbed on?
etc etc etc

I think I've only booed once in 30 years of Palace support (Kevin Miller), but can understand it in certain extreme circumstances, e.g. red card violent tackles.

Booing a substitution is entitled Premiership customer behaviour....aren't we meant to be better than that, especially when we know the club is struggling and Hodgson has only just found his parking spot.
It may indeed have been stupid.

But...everyone has different degrees of resilience I guess. Let's face it, our home form has been shocking for the best part of three years, and we've added to that this season by removing the buzz of cheering a goal. Some people have had enough.

IMHO our crowd have stayed with the team far longer than many others would have under the same circumstances.

cdm61
17-09-2017, 12:08 PM
3 years of dreadful home form so many managerial changes but the same rubbish served up its a wonder the great cladding on the old stand hasn't been ripped off. Let alone boo a decision that at the time seemed very odd to say the least.

cdm61
17-09-2017, 12:11 PM
It may indeed have been stupid.

But...everyone has different degrees of resilience I guess. Let's face it, our home form has been shocking for the best part of three years, and we've added to that this season by removing the buzz of cheering a goal. Some people have had enough.

IMHO our crowd have stayed with the team far longer than many others would have under the same circumstances.

Yes agreed...we have been very loyal collectively and if or when we go down that loyalty will be tested. Home gates back down to 15000!

H.Bomb
17-09-2017, 12:12 PM
The booing was the fans getting frustrated with our most attacking player being taken off when we were 1-0 and not directly at Roy Hodgson.

Sir.S.C Remembered
23-09-2017, 08:44 AM
This mentality is why we don't replace 'hard working' pros and the ability they have will be why we go down. I'd be happy if we did that throughout, but buying £30 million strikers and having honest pros put crosses out for goal kicks is a ******* joke.

I didn't say we shouldn't replace him. I suggested our fans never used to get on the back of any player who was clearly someone trying and professional, whether they cost us big relative money or not.

eagleincroydon
23-09-2017, 08:46 AM
hodgeson likes hard work players so i see hes logic

PauLo
23-09-2017, 08:49 AM
Were they saying boo or Booakary

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/--8RN47rweDA/TxzhBQvVk6I/AAAAAAAAK7Y/VJYrif73NBM/s1600/hans+moleman+at+the+dmv+the+simpsons.png

PauLo
23-09-2017, 08:51 AM
Booing anyone is ******* stupid.

It's nearly christmas, though. Plenty of pantomimes for the braindead to attend and boo till their hearts content.

Langers
23-09-2017, 08:52 AM
Save the booing for the ref IMO - or Dowie

JDawg
23-09-2017, 09:14 AM
Booing a shit performance generally I can see. But booing a tactical decision? Jeez. What a croc of shit. What next, a twitter poll for substitutions?

What are we turning into?

mcmean
23-09-2017, 10:18 AM
Personally I find the notion of a grown man standing up and ‘booing’ quite ridiculous. Have a look at yourself

Malarkey
23-09-2017, 10:25 AM
Personally I find the notion of a grown man standing up and ‘booing’ quite ridiculous. Have a look at yourself

Who the **** takes a mirror to a football match

glenn.f
23-09-2017, 10:31 AM

You're not wrong, remember some big tub of lard behind me stood there booing at a game years ago. All I can remember is looking at this guy and laughing because of how stupid he looked.

PauLo
23-09-2017, 10:39 AM
Who the **** takes a mirror to a football match

How else am I going to know how good I look when celebrating a goal? God man, use your head.

macstar
23-09-2017, 10:52 AM

list time i booed was at Alan Smith in that notorious Wolves home game. Must have been 10,000 or more booing. ..it was deserved.

Sir.S.C Remembered
23-09-2017, 11:48 AM
Boos for a team should only happen at half time on rare occasions such as losing 3 or 4 at half time and been lazy and awful. Bit lower bar at the end of a match but not early on in a season/new reign.

Player wise we all show frustration at a missed cross etc. But getting on their back only ever when it's a player who isn't putting the effort in and/or bad behaviour contract wise etc. So Julian Gray at one point for example.

My personal mantra only.

beef
23-09-2017, 12:30 PM
Booing Ben Watson before his penalty is hard to beat

Yoda
23-09-2017, 12:57 PM

‘Grown man’....that’s an assumption and a bit offensive. Don’t you know we’re all gender neutral in the Prem now?

:)

thereichstuff
23-09-2017, 01:44 PM
Can you sit down and boo ?

arm chair eagle
23-09-2017, 04:42 PM
Is anyone else getting fed up with the online abuse of Roy Hodgson on social media .It varies from mocking his speech impediment to so called funny images of him caught of guard in a photo with a "funny" caption.

Has Roy ever done anything that warrants this level of abuse or am I being over sensitive?

beef
23-09-2017, 04:43 PM
I feel the same way. I think it sums up the society we live in and social media.

Far East Eagle
23-09-2017, 04:47 PM
He comes across as the perfect gentleman as well, there are many many people more deserving of character assassination than our Roy.

Danny_Cheviot
In 2 weeks he has got us a win, worked out our best starting XI, and matched a £400 million pound squad for 44 mins away from home.

HurstpierPalace
It's all a bit ******* to be fair. Whatever your footballing opinions he comes across as a decent, genuine bloke.

PeterH
It started a long time ago TBF when the old time press started going after Bobby Robson.

Turnip Taylor got it much worse. And then the press fell over themselves to write fantastic eulogies.

HeadofEraser
23-09-2017, 04:50 PM
From memory, the mocking became relentless the moment Harry Kane took a corner for the national team.

That was a bit silly.

Far East Eagle
23-09-2017, 04:52 PM
It started a long time ago TBF when the old time press started going after Bobby Robson.

Turnip Taylor got it much worse. And then the press fell over themselves to write fantastic eulogies.

Same as when Michael Foot died. The press pick a target and stick with it beacuse it then feeds into their narrative, the truth doesn't factor into it

IanH
23-09-2017, 04:55 PM
Nice bloke. Hopefully, people will see where the blame lies - and it's clearly not with Hodgson. We have assembled a squad full of Premier League journeymen who earn fantastic salaries but don't appear to have the stomach for a relegation fight. Poor recruitment has led to this - and characters like Murray and Jedinak have been moved on. And having only one recognised fit striker in the whole squad - shambolic way to run a football club.

PeterH
23-09-2017, 05:00 PM
Media has just moved on. Now any arsehole with a keyboard can create media. Any twat can be offensive from obscurity - like baiting footballers when their babies die.

jimmy the gent
23-09-2017, 05:02 PM
The media are loving our fall from grace. F*ck em.

spt1978
23-09-2017, 05:04 PM
Is anyone else getting fed up with the online abuse of Roy Hodgson on social media .It varies from mocking his speech impediment to so called funny images of him caught of guard in a photo with a "funny" caption.

Has Roy ever done anything that warrants this level of abuse or am I being over sensitive?

Does not deserve abuse. He has taken an impossible job.

Bottom line is that FdB should have be backed fully. The players who he wanted out are not near the squad. So what if he wanted a different type of player to the big strong players the board wanted, that is what is required to change styles.

andyocpfc
23-09-2017, 05:12 PM
There are people that should get hammered whether it be the players, the board, some fans, but Roy is the least deserving of any abuse.

philsick
23-09-2017, 05:15 PM
Does not deserve abuse. He has taken an impossible job.

Bottom line is that FdB should have be backed fully. The players who he wanted out are not near the squad. So what if he wanted a different type of player to the big strong players the board wanted, that is what is required to change styles.

True. We've had a string of old school managers who have packed the squad with workman like players to play grindout football without the ball ,mainly relying on set pieces and the skill of zaha and bolasie. Very strange to employ a manager to change that and then sack him when he wants too.

Sir.S.C Remembered
23-09-2017, 05:20 PM
Social media is scary. The abuse levels are insane. I'm not sure why people would bother going on it as a public figure.

wrightchipvcfc
23-09-2017, 05:20 PM
Guy just inherited a sxxx situation not his fault how many would have been queing up for job

TheCharmer1
23-09-2017, 05:21 PM
Do you think Roy is on social media ? Who gives a shit? He's got more pressing matters to attend to

thehalifaxman
23-09-2017, 05:24 PM
presumably all those who stream our around 85 minutes go to considerately boo in their cars

Selhurst Celtic
23-09-2017, 05:38 PM
Read the engerland vs Iceland thread from about page 30 onwards if you want to see Palace supporters throwing muck at Hodgson.

Naboo
23-09-2017, 06:13 PM
It's the exact same thing palace fans were doing before he got the job.... ��

Naboo
23-09-2017, 06:15 PM
Before Pulis got the job he was a ****, when Pulis was at palace he was a gentleman and a thoroughly decent chap, after Pulis left he was a ****. Let's not preach

Stavros 69
23-09-2017, 06:27 PM
Lucky he doesn't know what the internet is.

west country boy
23-09-2017, 06:48 PM
The media are loving our fall from grace. F*ck em.You can't blame them though - objectively, it is a good story.

Back OT, anyone calling Hodgson "Woy" should have their face sawn off.

Sharkba1t
24-09-2017, 07:02 AM
You can't blame them though - objectively, it is a good story.

Little bit drastic? :lux:

Penstone Eagle
24-09-2017, 07:08 AM

:supergrin:

Yoda
24-09-2017, 08:07 AM
Social media is scary. The abuse levels are insane. I'm not sure why people would bother going on it as a public figure.

Me either.

If I was a celeb, I’d have an official twitter/Facebook account that was run by a colleague. They could gatekeep any abuse etc.

Who needs that sort of grief, and it’s inevitable that a percentage of messages will be garbage. No matter how much you laugh that stuff off, it must hurt your mental health eventually.

The more nonsense you leave up, the more gets sent to you I suspect? Don’t give the idiots the satisfaction of attention by replying, just pay someone to delete and gatekeep.

lombardo7
24-09-2017, 08:26 AM
It's not Roy's fault, seems a genuine guy. We have just run out of options as the established fire fighters couldn't work with SP for very long for some reason.

eaglejez
24-09-2017, 09:27 AM
why would anyone abuse RH ?

JDawg
24-09-2017, 11:26 AM
Roy is who we have to get us out of this mess, which is not of his making. He requires support, not abuse.

DARZET EAGLE
24-09-2017, 12:03 PM

Lucky he knows more about football than you though.:D

DARZET EAGLE
24-09-2017, 12:04 PM
Roy is who we have to get us out of this mess, which is not of his making. He requires support, not abuse.

He and the team.

cockles
24-09-2017, 12:13 PM
In 2 weeks he has got us a win, worked out our best starting XI, and matched a £400 million pound squad for 44 mins away from home.

This is it.:p

**** the media. Us against the world!:lux:

mrgins
24-09-2017, 07:51 PM
He's had the balls to drop punch and ward, albeit with the availability of sakho, so I have confidence hell make the right adjustments. Was a bit confused when punch came on instead of jimmymac

Skintagain
25-09-2017, 06:00 AM
You can't blame them though - objectively, it is a good story.

He's getting paid millions, I can't get excited about a bit of low level ribbing. The term abuse in this case is nothing more than hand wringing faux outrage, such self righteous posturing is what people should have their faces sawn off for.

Everyone that goes to games pays their money and is therefore entitled to their opinion. If that includes having a go at Hodgeson so be it, he knows the score.
If they want to boo over a player being taken off so be it.

He knows the score and will get millions whether he fails or succeeds.

Man up ladies, worse things happen.

bubbs11
25-09-2017, 06:08 AM
Originally Posted by JDawg View Post

He and the team.

Can we not pin these two posts in big flashing lights at the front of this site as there a quite a few that are not getting it.

Bitch and moan and piss your pants once we're mathematically down, until then SUPPORT THE FECKIN CLUB!!

aj4england
25-09-2017, 06:14 AM
He's had the balls to drop punch and ward, albeit with the availability of sakho, so I have confidence hell make the right adjustments. Was a bit confused when punch came on instead of jimmymac

Or Jairo - we need legs and energy in midfield and two weeks running no 3rd sub

eagles #1
25-09-2017, 06:27 AM
I wish he'd stop sitting there sucking his fingers. It really does make him look* clueless.

*He probably is.

swhib
25-09-2017, 06:54 AM
If you shout abuse at Roy, you're an idiot and NOT a Palace fan... period.

Skintagain
25-09-2017, 07:08 AM
If you shout abuse at Roy, you're an idiot and NOT a Palace fan... period.

I take it you're having one. Calm down dear.

Yoda
25-09-2017, 07:47 AM
Everyone that goes to games pays their money and is therefore entitled to their opinion. If that includes having a go at Hodgeson so be it, he knows the score.

Since when did buying a ticket to a football match entitle you to shout abuse at someone?

How do you think that’s going to help? Hodgson has signed up to manage/coach the team and do the best he can with the players available....it’s not so you can shout abuse at him and feel some sort of entitlement about it.

Is that the way you’re going to support the club this season?

Skintagain
25-09-2017, 08:15 AM
Since when did buying a ticket to a football match entitle you to shout abuse at someone?

How do you think that’s going to help? Hodgson has signed up to manage/coach the team and do the best he can with the players available....it’s not so you can shout abuse at him and feel some sort of entitlement about it.

Is that the way you’re going to support the club this season?

You are using the term abuse to describe what?
Its not reasonable to expect paying customers, in this case fans that have supported the club for years inevitably with some passion to sit on their hands and nod in approval if they don't agree with what they are seeing, feck that, as far as I'm concerned I'm entitled to my opinion and entitled to express it

If it includes a bit of ribbing, so what. If you think he's such as snowflake, which I very much doubt, he should take up knitting. In football losers pay the price.

Perhaps you'd be better off watching a non-competitive activity.

http://www.mindfulteachers.org/2016/01/best-noncompetitive-games.html

macstar
25-09-2017, 08:43 AM
Anyone see Jimmy Bullards interview on sky sports about Roy Hodgson...
He says they get starved of the ball in training, there are not many training ground matches etc etc...and that it made the players "hungry" for the ball on matchday. Can kinda see how that would work.!

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/teams/crystal-palace/11048917/bullard-on-hodgsons-great-escape

Jordan's Jacket
25-09-2017, 08:46 AM
tbf we are starved of the ball in matches too

Yoda
25-09-2017, 08:54 AM
Skintagain....there is a middle ground between shouting abuse and nodding approval you know.

For example, if you don’t like what you’re see, stop paying and stop coming. Exercise your right to choose what you do with your time, just as you would with other hobbies.

Shouting at Hodgson would be ridiculous....how is he responsible for the predicament that Palace currently finds itself in?

From my point of view as a season ticket holder, I’m there to support the team and spend time with the friends I sit with. I’m not a big singer, but I’m not a boo-er either.

Whilst the team is playing poorly, I stop attending the away matches. That gives me more time for other priorities, saves us money and helps us not to over-invest our free time on just Palace.

If Palace go down, we’ll still be ST holders next season, as will all our group.

alanlee11
25-09-2017, 08:56 AM
He's getting paid millions, I can't get excited about a bit of low level ribbing. The term abuse in this case is nothing more than hand wringing faux outrage, such self righteous posturing is what people should have their faces sawn off for.

"Worse things happen"

Wow, what a moral compass, you're like a modern day Buddha.

So if I just verbally abuse someone based on an impairment it's ok, because physically assaulting them is worse? Or maybe it's ok to beat someone up because.of this, because killing them would be worse, so what's a little kicking?

Yup, very cool way of thinking. Every action is independent and taking the piss out of someone for something they have no control over is a weak and cowardly action.

Moe Lester
25-09-2017, 09:02 AM
You are using the term abuse to describe what?
Its not reasonable to expect paying customers, in this case fans that have supported the club for years inevitably with some passion to sit on their hands and nod in approval if they don't agree with what they are seeing, feck that, as far as I'm concerned I'm entitled to my opinion and entitled to express it

If it includes a bit of ribbing, so what. If you think he's such as snowflake, which I very much doubt, he should take up knitting. In football losers pay the price.

Perhaps you'd be better off watching a non-competitive activity.

http://www.mindfulteachers.org/2016/01/best-noncompetitive-games.html

Lol. You sound like a right tit.

TWELLSEagle
25-09-2017, 09:17 AM
If you're shouting abuse at Hodgson already then you must be mentally challenged

old geezer
25-09-2017, 10:31 AM
If you're shouting abuse at Hodgson already then you must be mentally challenged

Or a Corbyn supporter :hi:

Skintagain
25-09-2017, 10:57 AM
Skintagain....there is a middle ground between shouting abuse and nodding approval you know.

For example, if you don’t like what you’re see, stop paying and stop coming. Exercise your right to choose what you do with your time, just as you would with other hobb.................

No, No and trice No. I've been a supporter for longer than I care to remember, I and many others are more entitled to say what they think than either Parish or Hogdson.

If I don't like what I see I will say so. Hogdeson won't be here for long or in the overall scheme of things neither will Parish. I have every right to criticise, so has every other fan.

Skintagain
25-09-2017, 11:01 AM
"Worse things happen"

Wow, what a moral compass, you're like a modern day Buddha.

So if I just verbally abuse someone based on an impairment it's ok, because physically assaulting them is worse? Or maybe it's ok to beat someone up because.of this, because killing them would be worse, so what's a little kicking?

Yup, very cool way of thinking. Every action is independent and taking the piss out of someone for something they have no control over is a weak and cowardly action.

W's for R's isn't really an impairment it's an accent, perculiar to London and the south east.

I'm not aware of anyone beating him up or killing him, this a perfect example of faux outrage, untwist your knickers.

Skintagain
25-09-2017, 11:02 AM
Lol. You sound like a right tit.

You must be the left tit.

Jim Cannon
25-09-2017, 11:50 AM
tbf we are starved of the ball in matches too

We are starved of everything, goals, draws,wins. But the damage was done before Roy arrived, we can only hope he can turn it round.

Yoda
25-09-2017, 01:09 PM
No, No and trice No. I've been a supporter for longer than I care to remember, I and many others are more entitled to say what they think than either Parish or Hogdson.

If I don't like what I see I will say so. Hogdeson won't be here for long or in the overall scheme of things neither will Parish. I have every right to criticise, so has every other fan.

You have every right to think/say what you like about Palace, I’m not the mind police so let’s not exaggerate.

We were specifically disagreeing about shouting abuse at Hodgson in person at a match, which you believe you’re entitled to do because you’ve bought a ticket.

I think you should look up the definition of ‘supporter’, because at the moment you sound more like a Premiership ‘customer’.

It’s bad enough having to endure some of the recent performances, it must be extra hell for those who have to sit near you, adding to the negativity with your abuse of managers...probably the players and Parish too?

Why don’t you find something more positive and enjoyable to do on your Saturdays? You’re not the only one who is disappointed and annoyed by how things have turned out, but you’ve lost perspective if you think you’re entitled to abuse a new manager who is trying his best with what he has.

Skintagain
25-09-2017, 01:17 PM
You have every right to think/say what you like about Palace, I’m not the mind police so let’s not exaggerate.

We were specifically disagreeing about shouting abuse at Hodgson in person at a match, which you believe you’re entitled to do because you’ve bought a ticket.

I think you should look up the definition of ‘supporter’, because at the moment you sound more like a Premiership ‘customer’.

It’s bad enough having to endure some of the recent performances, it must be extra hell for those who have to sit near you, adding to the negativity with your abuse of managers...probably the players and Parish too?

Why don’t you find something more positive and enjoyable to do on your Saturdays? You’re not the only one who is disappointed and annoyed by how things have turned out, but you’ve lost perspective if you think you’re entitled to abuse a new manager who is trying his best with what he has.

This is ridiculous, I've not said I abuse the manager although I see little harm in people referring to him as Woy, its hardly abuse.

As for customer, if that's all I were I'd be at Chelsea or the Arse every week.

It's bad enough, yeah I'm sure they're all munching on prawn sandwich's around you quoting passages out of the match day program in hushed tone's.

What nonsense.

Yoda
25-09-2017, 01:31 PM
This is ridiculous, I've not said I abuse the manager although I see little harm in people referring to him as Woy, its hardly abuse.

As for customer, if that's all I were I'd be at Chelsea or the Arse every week.

It's bad enough, yeah I'm sure they're all munching on prawn sandwich's around you quoting passages out of the match day program in hushed tone's.

What nonsense.

I suggest you read your own posts then, such as 145 and 152, when you clearly advocate that it’s OK to have a go at Hodgson, that people have paid their money, he’s paid millions and he should be able to take it.

That’s going further than just calling him Woy on the BBS, isn’t it.

One advantage of the BBS is that readers can go backwards and actually see what people have written.

As for the second half of your latest post, what a load of childish nonsense.

Skintagain
25-09-2017, 01:46 PM
I suggest you read your own posts then, such as 145 and 152, when you clearly advocate that it’s OK to have a go at Hodgson, that people have paid their money, he’s paid millions and he should be able to take it.

That’s going further than just calling him Woy on the BBS, isn’t it.

One advantage of the BBS is that readers can go backwards and actually see what people have written.

As for the second half of your latest post, what a load of childish nonsense.

It's perfectly alright to have a go at the manager if you disagree and remember the fans usually have the benefit of hindsight so are more often right. Disagreement doesn't amount to abuse.

Ooh you're a girl you are.

mroakley9
25-09-2017, 01:47 PM
You must be the left tit.

banter

Yoda
25-09-2017, 04:05 PM
You can’t reason with unreasonable people.

I did anticipate that beforehand, but thought I’d give it a try.

Never mind.

Stavros 69
25-09-2017, 08:45 PM
None of this utter mess is down to Roy.

GorBlimey
25-09-2017, 09:00 PM
W's for R's isn't really an impairment it's an accent, perculiar to London and the south east.

I'm not aware of anyone beating him up or killing him, this a perfect example of faux outrage, untwist your knickers.

Bollocks.

I was born in Thornton Heath and for the first 34 years of my life I never lived more than 5 or so miles away from Croydon.

Absolutely no-one says an "r" as a "w" unless they have a mild speech impediment.

Anyone who says or writes "Woy" is a total shit and a knob and really should f*ck off.

Away
25-09-2017, 09:25 PM
Anyone who says or writes "Woy" is a total shit and a knob and really should f*ck off.

Pardon?

GorBlimey
25-09-2017, 09:32 PM
Pardon?

As you're replying to the written word I presume you're not hard of hearing so what's your question?

Away
26-09-2017, 07:21 AM
For the sake of clarity I think mimicking speech impediments is puerile at best.

Skintagain
26-09-2017, 07:24 AM
Bollocks.

I was born in Thornton Heath and for the first 34 years of my life I never lived more than 5 or so miles away from Croydon.

Absolutely no-one says an "r" as a "w" unless they have a mild speech impediment.

You're either a liar or deaf.

Skintagain
26-09-2017, 07:50 AM
For the sake of clarity I think mimicking speech impediments is puerile at best.

You're making the assumption of impediment. It's something I hear all the time to some extent and something that is increasing which indicates to me at least that its an accent rather than an impediment, or possibly lazy. Its perculiar to London and since I've been googling to Boston (USA).

Here's an extract from Wiki.

R-labialization[edit]
R-labialization, not to be confused with the rounding of initial /r/ described above, is a process occurring in certain dialects of English, particularly some varieties of Cockney, in which the /r/ phoneme is realized as a labiodental approximant [ʋ] in contrast to an alveolar approximant [ɹ]. To English speakers who are not used to [ʋ], this sounds nearly indistinguishable from /w/.
Use of labiodental /r/ is commonly stigmatized by prescriptivists. Regardless, the consonant [ʋ] is used in a variety of other languages and is increasing in many accents of British English.[6] Most speakers doing so are from the southeastern part of the country, particularly in London. It is also occasionally heard in some speakers of Boston accent though more often in an exaggerated parody of these dialects.
It has also been reported to be an extremely rare realization of /r/ in New Zealand English.[7]
The /r/ realization may not always be labiodental: bilabial and velarized labiodental realizations have been reported.
R-labialization leads to pronunciations such as the following:
red – [ʋɛd]
ring – [ʋɪŋ]
rabbit – [ˈʋæbɪt]
Merry Christmas – [mɛʋi ˈkʋɪsməs]

GorBlimey
26-09-2017, 01:25 PM

I went to school in Croydon, (ex Holy Joe) and I can tell no-one ever spoke like that.

Unfortunately they would have had the piss taken out of them if they had.

At least the majority of us have grown up now.

Jules
26-09-2017, 01:43 PM
I asked my missus about this - she's a speech therapist. She said it was "incorrect phonological processing" (or something similar). All kids start out pronouncing R's as W's, but then realise everyone else around them isn't, feel like prats, so they get their shit in order and change. Some people just don't hear it right, so don't feel the need to change, and then it's get ingrained and becomes too late to do so.

Doesn't sound like our Roy/Woy is such a smart cookie.

Kylie_Tracey
26-09-2017, 01:52 PM
Bollocks.

its not a speech impediment it is more associated with a speaking style or kind of accent, he chooses to pronounce his R's as a W sound, the most common examples of this are Jonathon Ross and David Bellamy and neither were classed as suffering from a speech impediment, I have a slight stutter that is what could be classed as a speech impediment, I have met quite a few people that speak similarly and none of them have ever been labelled as having a speech impediment in fact some of them are excellent speakers.

Kylie_Tracey
26-09-2017, 01:54 PM

GorBlimey
26-09-2017, 05:48 PM

So you think it's funny to take the piss out of Roy for the way he speaks?

Kylie_Tracey
26-09-2017, 06:11 PM
So you think it's funny to take the piss out of Roy for the way he speaks?

I think Skintagain making you sound like a weally wight widiculous pwised twerp is quite funny though

Skintagain
26-09-2017, 06:23 PM
I asked my missus about this - she's a speech therapist. She said it was "incorrect phonological processing" (or something similar). All kids start out pronouncing R's as W's, but then realise everyone else around them isn't, feel like prats, so they get their shit in order and change. Some people just don't hear it right, so don't feel the need to change, and then it's get ingrained and becomes too late to do so.

The thing is not everybody is like Tony Angelino, its there by degrees.

Ask her about l's and w's. That's a similar cockney thing, for instance have you ever crossed the Severn Bridge into Wows.

To translate Gor Blimey becomes Gaw Bwimey.

Kylie_Tracey
26-09-2017, 06:32 PM

Ask her about l's and w's. That's a similar cockney thing, for instance have you ever crossed the Severn Bridge into Wows.

that certainly has a mix of Woy and Tony Angelino in three small syllables,quite pleasant on the ear if I may say so.

PeterH
26-09-2017, 06:32 PM
presumably all those who stream our around 85 minutes go to considerately boo in their cars

For Brighton fans, it's usually around the 70 minute mark.

Skintagain
26-09-2017, 06:43 PM
So this thread is about abuse, now what's left. We have the crowd disagreeing with RLC being taken off during the Swansea game, I see no reason why they can't, they may not necessarily know he's injured besides as paying punters they're entitled to their opinion, without that what's the point going.
Then we come to Woy/Roy, presumably he's happy with it otherwise he'd do something about it, could be a nice little earner for Jules's misses. However look at Wossy for him it's a badge he wears all the time and part of his USP. Get over it.

So what abuse?

PeterH
26-09-2017, 06:43 PM
Whilst the team is playing poorly, I stop attending the away matches. That gives me more time for other priorities, saves us money and helps us not to over-invest our free time on just Palace.

You've got this mixed up for the last 5 seasons. Better investing the time and money on the aways and skipping the homes.

PeterH
26-09-2017, 06:51 PM

Ask her what she thinks about Schteve Mclaren. Or scandinavians suddenly talking scouse.

Jules
26-09-2017, 07:01 PM
Ask her what she thinks about Schteve Mclaren. Or scandinavians suddenly talking scouse.

Well there is something about conforming to the way that the locals speak, if you are an immigrant, as she is (and, of course, you are too). So my first task is to tell her to stop saying yoghurt with a long a, as in Yohan.

Jules
26-09-2017, 07:03 PM

It's the vowel sound they can't get right, not the L.

But I never had you down as a student of phonetics.

Wolfnipplechips
26-09-2017, 07:05 PM
You've got this mixed up for the last 5 seasons. Better investing the time and money on the aways and skipping the homes.

True dat.

Innit Bruv.

Like.

GorBlimey
26-09-2017, 07:05 PM
I think Skintagain making you sound like a weally wight widiculous pwised twerp is quite funny though

You're a f*cking twat.

Do you take the piss out of disabled people too?

Arse.

PeterH
26-09-2017, 07:06 PM
I've been here 14 years - and my accent and pronunciation suck.

My UK friends laugh at my cockney (Sarff London) Chilean Spanish. I laugh at the Chileans that criticise me though. They can't speak Spanish themselves - illiterate muppets. No-one else in the Spanish speaking world understands them properly.

Kylie_Tracey
26-09-2017, 07:11 PM
You're a f*cking twat.

Do you take the piss out of disabled people too?

Arse.

:supergrin::lux:

in-exile
26-09-2017, 07:15 PM
I stopped hating or taking the piss out of Roy the day he signed up to try and save us....for now he is our champion!

DARZET EAGLE
26-09-2017, 07:23 PM
I stopped hating or taking the piss out of Roy the day he signed up to try and save us....for now he is our champion!

Good man, sense at last.

Skintagain
26-09-2017, 07:31 PM
It's the vowel sound they can't get right, not the L.

But I never had you down as a student of phonetics.

I'm not of course, just googling, I did know about the RW thing though and do hear it quite a bit. It is quite an interesting subject though.

Skintagain
26-09-2017, 07:35 PM
I've been here 14 years - and my accent and pronunciation suck.

My UK friends laugh at my cockney (Sarff London) Chilean Spanish. I laugh at the Chileans that criticise me though. They can't speak Spanish themselves - illiterate muppets. No-one else in the Spanish speaking world understands them properly.

I once worked with a guy that the company sent to Brazil, beforehand they sent him to a school in Holland to learn Spanish in 2 weeks. Really, at that place if you can't ask for it in Spanish you don't eat.

Then he got to Brazil, oh.

Jules
26-09-2017, 07:41 PM
I'm not of course, just googling, I did know about the RW thing though and do hear it quite a bit. It is quite an interesting subject though.

You're right, it is.

She tells me that sorting out the stutters, stammers and other minor impediments is a bit looked down on in the trade. The "proper" work is with victims of major illness or injury, who struggle to produce much in the way of intelligible language at all.

Skintagain
26-09-2017, 08:02 PM
You're right, it is.

She tells me that sorting out the stutters, stammers and other minor impediments is a bit looked down on in the trade. The "proper" work is with victims of major illness or injury, who struggle to produce much in the way of intelligible language at all.

R's do cause a lot of trouble.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEaKX9YYHiQ