PDA

View Full Version : We are this years hapless team

Green Bin
16-09-2017, 03:27 PM
It gives me no pleasure to say this but you can see us as this years Sunderland, and Aston Villa, so obviously heading out of the division even at this stage.

We are worse off now than when we first came up, a few seemingly talented players but having completely lost the togetherness and fight. We now also have a huge wage bill....which could sink us again.

Now it's probably not the boards fault that Allardyce choose to step down at the end of last season, which has royally eff'd us up, and to be fair it seems we did recognise that the seasons of counter-attacking hoofing relying on a couple of talent players was not sustainable, having run things close for the first two seasons, but we have mucked up two summer transfer window, leaving us short of defenders last year and attackers this.

We have tried to replace Hennessey twice as well but this year we failed to land a new goalkeeper despite there being (apparently) seven options put forward.

We all knew that Ward was probably life expired as a right back, but we haven't got a back up. We do seem to have three left backs who can't seem to defend properly for 90mins game after game, Schlupp is the best of them but today he seemed to be so close to his own CB's, that Tadic was being picked out time and time again from long cross-field balls...I thought we weren't playing 3 at the back.

We perhaps have a decent midfield although that hasn't come across at home other than perhaps the second half against Swansea, alright perhaps we have been affected by most of our players not being fit.

However the failure to provide any sort of viable alternative striker to Benteke was absolutely crazy, we've signed our own death warrant. I would be very dissappointed if I found out that the board shrinked back from buying anyone because of their apparent issues with FdB. Perversely we've spent 32m on two CB's who have played one game between them...arguably our defence is not the problem in that we have lost three games by just a single goal, one by two stupid goals, and one because we were crap all over the place. So I would suggest we have spent the money in the wrong area.

I do wonder that if we had actually provided Pardew with the missing players at the start of last season we might have been so much better off now. Having been saved then shafted by BFS I did think the appointment of FdB was a good long term move, but which ever side of that argument you're own its clear that RH is hampered by the same issues as FdB plus he has lost all of the pre-season.

I couldn't get to the match in time today but got to a TV, and really the only positive thing to see was Lukas make a few decent passes (something that our DNA doesn't seem to encourage much)

In the end having pulled off four miracles in successive seasons, the constant changing of managerial staff, lack of adequate scouting, failures in various transfer markets and having found no alternative to a playing style that puts us at a disadvantage at home, we are going to be finally found out.

Sometimes when we have got relegated, we've gone down 'badly' and this year has all the makings of that...we'll know for sure if Brighton beat us at home

DARZET EAGLE
16-09-2017, 03:29 PM
It gives me no pleasure to say this but you can see us as this years Sunderland, and Aston Villa, so obviously heading out of the division even at this stage.

We are worse off now than when we first came up, a few seemingly talented players but having completely lost the togetherness and fight. We now also have a huge wage bill....which could sink us again.

Now it's probably not the boards fault that Allardyce choose to step down at the end of last season, which has royally eff'd us up, and to be fair it seems we did recognise that the seasons of counter-attacking hoofing relying on a couple of talent players was not sustainable, having run things close for the first two seasons, but we have mucked up two summer transfer window, leaving us short of defenders last year and attackers this.

We have tried to replace Hennessey twice as well but this year we failed to land a new goalkeeper despite there being (apparently) seven options put forward.

We all knew that Ward was probably life expired as a right back, but we haven't got a back up. We do seem to have three left backs who can't seem to defend properly for 90mins game after game, Schlupp is the best of them but today he seemed to be so close to his own CB's, that Tadic was being picked out time and time again from long cross-field balls...I thought we weren't playing 3 at the back.

We perhaps have a decent midfield although that hasn't come across at home other than perhaps the second half against Swansea, alright perhaps we have been affected by most of our players not being fit.

However the failure to provide any sort of viable alternative striker to Benteke was absolutely crazy, we've signed our own death warrant. I would be very dissappointed if I found out that the board shrinked back from buying anyone because of their apparent issues with FdB. Perversely we've spent 32m on two CB's who have played one game between them...arguably our defence is not the problem in that we have lost three games by just a single goal, one by two stupid goals, and one because we were crap all over the place. So I would suggest we have spent the money in the wrong area.

I do wonder that if we had actually provided Pardew with the missing players at the start of last season we might have been so much better off now. Having been saved then shafted by BFS I did think the appointment of FdB was a good long term move, but which ever side of that argument you're own its clear that RH is hampered by the same issues as FdB plus he has lost all of the pre-season.

I couldn't get to the match in time today but got to a TV, and really the only positive thing to see was Lukas make a few decent passes (something that our DNA doesn't seem to encourage much)

In the end having pulled off four miracles in successive seasons, the constant changing of managerial staff, lack of adequate scouting, failures in various transfer markets and having found no altenative to a playing style that puts us at a disadvantage at home, we are going to be finally found out.

Sometimes when we have got relegated, we've gone down 'badly' and this year has all the makings of that...we'll know for sure if Brighton beat us at home

Great post, but keep the faith. I remember the old Division 4 days!

Penstone Eagle
16-09-2017, 03:29 PM
Said we were this season's Sunderland a couple of weeks ago.

We are poorly run and have spineless players led by a captain that is one of the worst players in the team.

CPFC.1990
16-09-2017, 03:30 PM
I can't name 3 teams that are worse than us.

Shipp Ahoy!
16-09-2017, 03:33 PM
Its been 2 days...

We still have Wilf and Sakho to come back...

Ffs.

Dorking .Eagle
16-09-2017, 03:33 PM
Certainly has all the ingredients of a real car-crash of a season

alanlee11
16-09-2017, 03:34 PM
only having one fit striker is something Steve Parish should have to answer to.

He made a very childish, flippant comment about it on Twitter, during his eve of sacking rant, something like "and what if the sun doesn't come up" - not a good enough response to a very fair question - why, after five years in the top flight, are we going to play at least 15 games of a season with only one striker?

KP'S Nuts
16-09-2017, 03:37 PM
I think the post just about sums things up apart from i believe Sam prob knew not enough investment was going to be put forward so did the clever thing and left.

CPFC.1990
16-09-2017, 03:39 PM
Its been 2 days...

Ffs.

So, it won't make a difference is our other players are not up to the job.

We are playing against teams where 8 out of 11 players on the oppo team are better than ours, we cannot survive against those odds.

Today only RLC would get in the Saints team.

Penstone Eagle
16-09-2017, 03:39 PM
Its been 2 days...

Ffs.

Oh ok

Penstone Eagle
16-09-2017, 03:40 PM

We are playing against teams where 8 out of 11 players on the oppo team are better than ours, we cannot survive against those odds.

Spot on.

So many deluded fans waiting for Sakho to save us.

Shipp Ahoy!
16-09-2017, 03:43 PM

Want to bet? Wilf has been carrying us for the last two seasons and Sakho made a massive difference last season.

How do two 30+million players coming back into your team not make a difference?

Imagine offering those two to at least 10 teams in this division... they would rip both your arms off!

Jon_C-Pal
16-09-2017, 03:43 PM
Not to forget that other than Wilf and Townsend we have no other recognised winger meaning a spineless Puncheon had to be pushed out there. Sako and CYL are not only awful footballers but neither are wingers.

CPFC.1990
16-09-2017, 03:44 PM
Want to bet? Wilf has been carrying us for the last two seasons and Sakho made a massive difference last season.

Imagine offering those two to at least 10 teams in this division... they would rip both your arms off!

I admire your optimism but Wilf and Sakho will not be anywhere near enough to keep us up.

IanH
16-09-2017, 03:54 PM
It does have a bad feel about it this season. Loads of Premier League journeymen who will be off at the end of the season if we drop and who don't seem to be too bothered whether we win or lose. Sadly, 2 of the players who do genuinely care (Ward and Puncheon) are the worst players in the team. Hodgson will have his work cut out to save this side from the drop. Hopefully, he can but it doesn't look too promising at the moment.

redsox
16-09-2017, 03:57 PM
Two 30 miilion pound players!!! one is unable to play and the other can't seem to play. We also have another 30 million in unwanted players. The wages are unthinkable makes you wonder where it will all end up. The next 3 games would suggest played 8. Lost 8 and still no goals

richdeniro
16-09-2017, 03:58 PM
Spot on.

So many deluded fans waiting for Sakho to save us.

Vanity signing with fans cheering his signing like we'd just won a cup.

Same kind of thing with us constantly employing former players/heroes who have no qualifications or experience for the role they are being employed to do.

We need to get over the nostalgia thing if we ever want to be a stable Premier League club.

danpalace07
16-09-2017, 04:00 PM
I can't name 3 teams that are worse than us.

trying to but I'm seriously struggling

wrightchipvcfc
16-09-2017, 04:02 PM
If we could get best 11 on pitch every week they would be competitive agaist the bottom 12 realisticly that's not going to happen then the back up players are just not prem players ward Kelly lee sako mutch puncheon delaney poor keeper 1 fit striker. from top to bottom club seems rudderless at this time wasted pre season on a system that we dropped after 3 games didn't get rid of any of the dead wood there still drawing big wages and contribute nothing lee sako mutch ect terrible summer window and Zaha injured after 1 game puts tin hat on everything yer got to agree with those who think were go down especially when you see the relegation rivals prob over achieving .

Green Bin
16-09-2017, 04:03 PM

We are poorly run and have spineless players led by a captain that is one of the worst players in the team.

Yes sadly when I saw that Punch had been made Captain again, it certainly didn't give me a good vibe, I wonder who made that call. He's heart is in the right place, and I think he did up his game a bit last season when made Captain...but looked very average out wide today where I though he might make an impact, and he blocks better players from playing.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
16-09-2017, 04:06 PM
We've been an utter car crash so far. Things will get better, they have to, don't they?

Penstone Eagle
16-09-2017, 04:07 PM

So why has Wilf been carrying us for so long?

Piss poor transfer activity from the owners, that's why.

TouchyAndalou
16-09-2017, 04:09 PM
I don't know how many years are remaining on some of our squad player's contacts, but not being able to move any of these players on this summer prevented us from being able to bring in more new players. And if we do go down, this will be even more of an issue in the Championship given their high wages.

Another problem is that if we're still really struggling by January, you'd have to think that it'll be hard to keep hold of Wilf, who's not going to want to drop down a league.

CharlieCPFC
16-09-2017, 04:09 PM

The only couple of pros worthy of the armband in my eyes are Sakho and Luka, bar Zaha and the younger players the rest of them want to be ashamed. They lack bollocks this squad and its painfully affecting us. We've underestimated big time the characters we've had albeit on limited ability the impact they had as individuals and as a team.

AddoWolz
16-09-2017, 04:13 PM
Behind the team on the pitch we certainly have a hapless recruitment team , Jesus H Christ , blind Willie Mcblind the blind could see this coming with such poor recruitment.

Lee sinnots ear
16-09-2017, 04:14 PM

In the end having pulled off four miracles in successive seasons, the constant changing of managerial staff, lack of adequate scouting, failures in various transfer markets and having found no alternative to a playing style that puts us at a disadvantage at home, we are going to be finally found out.

Absolute spot on post. HAPLESSNESS, the word of the day FOUR Managers YES 4 in just NINE months,makes it impossible to make structured progress. Anyone connected with Palace knows we had to get a new keeper and an additional striker, yet we spend the whole window recruiting THREE more centre halfs and a midfielder. And as much as we all rate Sakho how can you justify spending 26 mil on him ahead of a striker and a keeper? Totally insane I've never said a bad word about Parish but he obviously purchased Sakho and sanctioned all the rest This is the most disjointed unbalance squad in my 50 years 7 centre halves 3 left backs but only one right back and one striker.
The management at the top must take the blame for this utter shit show, they ( not the fans) deserve relegation and all the grief it will bring them. They are responsible for the managerial mess of 4 in 9 months and with it the hideously unbalanced squad. I hate to wish my life away but the sooner this is over the better:veryangry:grrr:

KP'S Nuts
16-09-2017, 04:14 PM
Yes sadly when I saw that Punch had been made Captain again, it certainly didn't give me a good vibe, I wonder who made that call. He's heart is in the right place, and I think he did up his game a bit last season when made Captain...but looked very average out wide today where I though he might make an impact, and he blocks better players from playing.

Apart from the fact his legs are shot and hasn't scored a goal since the FA cup final the biggest problem to me is he seemes to have mood swings and mental problems. Over the years esp when he missed the penalty against tottenham and then said Warnock took bribes he hit hot and cold form. You need a stable level headed captain he just isn't that to me anyway.

Banger
16-09-2017, 04:19 PM
Yes. We are going down unless I fear

macstar
16-09-2017, 04:22 PM
I don't know how many years are remaining on some of our squad player's contacts, but not being able to move any of these players on this summer prevented us from being able to bring in more new players. And if we do go down, this will be even more of an issue in the Championship given their high wages.

Another problem is that if we're still really struggling by January, you'd have to think that it'll be hard to keep hold of Wilf, who's not going to want to drop down a league.

It will be a case of sell for 30 mil and then use that cash wisely the following season to come up again

Windsor_Eagle
16-09-2017, 04:25 PM
Deep rooted problems need long term fixes.

We have issues all over the pitch but they are underpinned by a woeful defence. Get that solid and the rest somewhat looks after itself. The forward thinking players are hamstrung by a poor defence. They have to get very deep to stop us conceding at will (and thereby effect nothing in the final third) and they are having too much pressure on their shoulders on the rare chance they get because they knkw if they fluff their lines that is essentailly the chance of 1 or 3 points wasted. This leads to the chronic lack of conviction we see in front of goal.

Sakho coming in can hopefully have the same effect as it did last term and if we get an extra 5 or 10 percent improvement in the rest of the defence accordingly then we get some clean sheets and some points. This would be how the tide starts to turn. However, the players have to stop feeling sorry for themselves, they have to step up to the plate and play through the nerves. They need to demand the ball rather than shirk it. They need to shkw both the quality and fight they have but have buried deep.

Roy doesn't have to reinvent anything, he just needs to find a way to get the players mental attributes up and the quality will start to emerge.

More broadly the club needs to be planning for 1-2 years from now. They need to identify suitable replacements for Hodgson for when he is gone, identify player purchase / sale plans for either eventuality this season and accept that we need to core out the rotten problem and not just seek out transient, topical treatments. The disease is dire, the treatment needs to be brutal.

thefox
16-09-2017, 04:33 PM
The players have never been bought to have a plan B on scoring goals in 5 seasons.

No number 10, no other half decent striker than Benteke who gets marked out the game in 5 years.

MFBias
16-09-2017, 04:38 PM

Loftus-Cheek generally was pretty wasteful today, he had some good moments but he certainly wasnt at the races, if it hadnt been for fitness though; Puncheon should have come off, but Loftus-Cheek wqs far from our best player.

CPFC.1990
16-09-2017, 04:52 PM
Loftus-Cheek generally was pretty wasteful today, he had some good moments but he certainly wasnt at the races, if it hadnt been for fitness though; Puncheon should have come off, but Loftus-Cheek wqs far from our best player.

WHAT!!!???:eek:

SussexRed&Blue
16-09-2017, 04:56 PM
You do worry about the mental toughness of this side.

Look at last season as soon as Sakho got carried off the side went to pieces apart from the game where Hull rolled over. We lack leaders and players with steel on the pitch.

Unfortunately during our years in the Premier League we have lost the character from the side that got us promoted as we have brought in new players on big money. Although a lot of them are talented do they have the character of the likes of Jedinak, Murray, Bolasie etc when the going gets tough?

Although Dougie Freedman wasn't a great manager for us he did have a great eye for a player and i know that one of the requirements was to buy players in with the right character.

Hopefully now he is in the role of Director of Football this area will improve in the future.

Duffle Coat
16-09-2017, 04:59 PM
I am an optimist by nature but I am struggling to feel positive about us right now. At the same time, my knowledge of Palace tells me that we always surprise either for good or bad. I wouldn't be surprised if we do something in the three upcoming fixtures. So, I'm not going to doom us...yet.

fletch1000
16-09-2017, 05:08 PM
Can someone please, please, explain why Ward, puncheon and Hennessey are still in the team?.
I hear a lot about being a local lad, and being PALACE through and through.....well thats me, I'm almost 60 and would still try and give 10 times more than they give,
the difference is,
i know I'm not good enough.

HurstpierPalace
16-09-2017, 05:10 PM

Who was?:confused:

jhc
16-09-2017, 05:16 PM
We paid a lot of money for some players who are putting in some very average performances.
Some need to have a long hard look at themselves.
My fear is, this could all end in having to let those players go who we really want to keep.
The thought of Wilf being sold if the worst happens, doesn't bare thinking about

jhc
16-09-2017, 05:16 PM

Millwank
16-09-2017, 05:20 PM
We'll know what the fate to be is when zaha/Sakho are back

RAB
16-09-2017, 05:24 PM

Mutch, Sako and Lee. These are just three. A small part of their combined weekly salaries would pay for at least one player desperate for the chance to prove himself who might have played with a bit more heart and spirit. Or at least actually play at all!

I wonder if the manager who signed them is getting a knock on from their contract.

Pistol Knight
16-09-2017, 05:24 PM

Nail on head:p:p:p
if your on twitter go read this thread

John Salako‏
@JohnSalako

Palace lose 0-1 Soton. Shockingly poor 1st half. Lifted to poor 2nd half. Players not good enough. Nothing to come off the bench.

tells it as is it

Malarkey
16-09-2017, 05:25 PM
Its been 2 days...

Ffs.

And another game that was at home and another loss without scoring

Lee sinnots ear
16-09-2017, 06:12 PM

Look at last season as soon as Sakho got carried off the side went to pieces apart from the game where Hull rolled over. We lack leaders and players with steel on the pitch.

Unfortunately during our years in the Premier League we have lost the character from the side that got us promoted as we have brought in new players on big money. Although a lot of them are talented do they have the character of the likes of Jedinak, Murray, Bolasie etc when the going gets tough?

Although Dougie Freedman wasn't a great manager for us he did have a great eye for a player and i know that one of the requirements was to buy players in with the right character.

Hopefully now he is in the role of Director of Football this area will improve in the future.

Spot on and two years after promotion half the team that got us up were still playing there was a bond they were mates etc. Now we have a bunch of mercenaries, who with a couple of exceptions are not good enough. No leaders no characters and probably no loyalty except for their bank balance.

passion4palace
16-09-2017, 06:26 PM
Absolute spot on post. HAPLESSNESS, the word of the day FOUR Managers YES 4 in just NINE months,makes it impossible to make structured progress. Anyone connected with Palace knows we had to get a new keeper and an additional striker, yet we spend the whole window recruiting THREE more centre halfs and a midfielder. And as much as we all rate Sakho how can you justify spending 26 mil on him ahead of a striker and a keeper? Totally insane I've never said a bad word about Parish but he obviously purchased Sakho and sanctioned all the rest This is the most disjointed unbalance squad in my 50 years 7 centre halves 3 left backs but only one right back and one striker.
The management at the top must take the blame for this utter shit show, they ( not the fans) deserve relegation and all the grief it will bring them. They are responsible for the managerial mess of 4 in 9 months and with it the hideously unbalanced squad. I hate to wish my life away but the sooner this is over the better:veryangry:grrr:

And 3 different managers over the past 6 prem games!

Maidstonecpfc
16-09-2017, 06:29 PM
Can someone please, please, explain why Ward, puncheon and Hennessey are still in the team?.
I hear a lot about being a local lad, and being PALACE through and through.....well thats me, I'm almost 60 and would still try and give 10 times more than they give,
the difference is,
i know I'm not good enough.
They play because the rest of the squad aren't any better which says it all about our transfer policy over the past few seasons - all fur coat and no knickers approach which has seen us recruit a few marquee headline signings without bolstering the squad as a whole. This ok if you have a scouting network but we clearly haven't....

Jason
16-09-2017, 06:30 PM

A couple of weeks ago I would have agreed with this, but looking at it now, I'm genuinely not quite so sure. Against Huddersfield and Swansea, we looked utterly hopeless, to the point where the players didn't seem to understand what they were being asked to do.

Today, while we certainly didn't look good, we at least had a semblance of a workable plan. The players we have suit that plan, and with a few games to get their heads round how it works (and in that sense the fact that the next three games are ones we are unlikely to get much from regardless is actually helpful as we're not wasting points while we learn) can probably work well. With two excellent players to come back, we can start to move forward if (and probably only if) our top players stay fit.

That doesn't take away the fact that the situation is bad. The lack of balance and depth in the squad leaves us extremely vulnerable to injuries or loss of form from key players, and the club needs to take some responsibility for how it has found itself in that situation. We're also likely to be giving the rest of our rivals a 7-8 point head start by the time we find any kind of form, and making up that gap is going to be a big ask.

But for all that, I genuinely think there were some signs today that things are likely to get better, and with a little bit of (perhaps undeserved) luck, have half a chance of pulling ourselves out of this hole even with the dire start that is likely to continue for a few games more yet.

redsox
16-09-2017, 06:40 PM
More riveting than Bleak House!!!

Les Butler
16-09-2017, 06:51 PM
I have a golf tourney tomorrow and the way I get put upon you would think I was managing fecking Palace LOL, what a fecking shambles and fecking Brighton coming up the season we decide to give up and cop out.

Dad if you are looking down why did you forsake me FFS ;)

RAB
16-09-2017, 06:57 PM

This is very true.

The toughest challenge for Pardew was how to dismantle the promotion team strategically and introduce proper replacement. Pardew failed and that requirement has found out better managers over the years.

Allardyce as he left, was just an expert 'sticking plaster' when Pardew was dispensed with.

What has happened at Selhurst Park is not an accident. It is a disease, as at least one poster has referred to it and so to the F365 article today. Endemic is the home record. The full stadium, record season tickets and big signings have it seems caused our owner-fans in the Boardroom to be star-struck at dining at the top table and with it a bit complacent.

Stockport_Eagle
16-09-2017, 07:05 PM
We surely have to score in the next three games.

Singing "you're so s*** we scored a goal" to City, Utd or Chelsea will at least restore some humour to the whole thing :p

sheepy
16-09-2017, 07:25 PM
For what it's worth, against Burnley & Southampton I find it inconceivable that we wouldn't have had at least one or two more clear cut chances if we had Zaha playing.

I'm gonna cling onto that one hope that when he's back and now that Hodgson has sussed out Punch we might start getting somewhere.

Today's team with following changes probably would have won it.

Sakho for Ward (TFM to RB)
Luka for Mcarthur
Zaha for Punch
PVA for Schlupp

Zohar's Penalty
17-09-2017, 10:43 AM
I have woken up with a new perspective today (and a sore head).

We are ****ed. Down. Gone. It's a disaster. We will be 8 games, zero points, potentially zero goals. There's no coming back. The De Boer experiment has relegated us. A chancer who failed to address our weaknesses and now we are stuck with Ward, Hennessey, Puncheon, Lee, Sako, Delaney, McArthur- who just are not up to it. Parish has dropped the ball and has lots to answer for. Zaha, Benteke, Sakho, Cabaye will all be sold and we will be starting again, back in the championship, playing the likes of Millwall, Barnsley and Burton, still in a stadium that is decrepit, with an outdated training ground, an academy playing at Goals and a compete lack of of iinfrastructure.

Our demise will be played out painfully slowly, over the next 8 months, with the world looking on as we get beaten week after week, breaking all sorts of unwanted records, being humiliated and embarrassed. This will be immensely painful, and particularly if Brighton stay up whilst we are Cannon fodder at the bottom. Out atmosphere has become toxic already and will only get worse. This relegation is going to be death by 1000 cuts. Worse than 93, 95, 98, 2005 put together. We have been shocking for what now- nearly 20 months?

BUT...

I for one cannot sit through games as miserable as I was yesterday. It's just AWFUL. We can't become that ugly club like Sunderland- embarrassing ourselves every week, leaving early, booing, calling up talksport crying, shouting abuse at anyone who will listen. We are better than that. Let's collectively accept our fate now. It's over. Finished. Done. We've ****ed it up. Prepare ourselves mentally for things getting a lot worse before they get better. We are going to have to learn to laugh at ourselves. **** this league anyway- it's a load of toss, mostly supported by toss fans. **** them. Can we all just try and enjoy this. Appreciate Wilf whilst we can. Have fun. I'm thinking conga lines in the stands and a MASSIVE FULL SCALE PITCH INVASION when we finally SCORE A ******* GOAL.

If we are this years bottom feeders, let's do it in style.

COYP!