PDA

View Full Version : Club identity and DNA

CharlieCPFC
16-09-2017, 04:45 PM
Is it a load of bollocks or is there really more to it?

Listening to John Salako on talk sport earlier and I had to agree with what he said. For those who never heard it he said how we've gone away from the Palace identity with a group of players who lack leadership. He said during his time here when things were going bad you'd have Jedinak or Delaney in your face telling you so.

Do you go by what people associate with as the Palace identity? A nasty place to go to with a solid and organised collective unit with raw pace and directness out wide.

We're consistently conflicting our style of play from to another which surely can't be helpful to the players. Today I saw a side who were still stuck in a more safe possession orientated mindset instead of having that more aggressive and penetrative mindset.

Does it add up to the fact as we started to go away from that identity and DNA things started to turn downhill for us?

Skiddo
16-09-2017, 04:50 PM
Jermaine Jenas said a similar thing the other day, also stating our players aren't good enough to play anything other than direct football.

carter
16-09-2017, 04:52 PM
I've always associated Palace with hard work and being tough. We seem like a nicey nice club now. No leaders, no bullies and no leader of a manager. We seem unrecognisable now, especially at Selhurst. I think people dread going there now instead of enjoying it. It's not a fortress it was 3+ years ago. We've slowly come away everything we was good at and that's why we badly miss Allardyce. He was perfect for us. Football isn't a hard game to play. If you can do the basics properly you stand a far greater chance of winning. Example of basics is running after every ball, pressing opposition down, being physically stronger and concentrating. It's embarrassing to watch grown men not being able to do it now. They are such pussies. If you do the basics right like we did under Allardyce then you'll start to reap the rewards. It's infuriating watching us with this group of players. Some of them have it too easy now and are too comfortable.. part of the furniture. I don't care what anyone says if you pick our best 11 v Burnleys best 11 ours would win on paper but Burnley beat us because all 11 of them players give 100%. Ours don't. Grown men can't even put in 100% hard graft for 90 minutes. This is why I'm giving my season ticket up for a couple of months because it is embarrassing to watch these "men". We should easily be sitting on about 7 points now. We need a manager who is willing to scream at them. Is a 70 year old Roy Hodgson gonna be the man to motivate them? Don't think so personally.

5 games in and can't see 3 teams worse than us let alone 1. The last 5 years have been our most successful in our history and we've got nothing to show for it. The club/players/fans look to have ran out of energy and luck now. It's a sorry state of affairs

CPFC.1990
16-09-2017, 04:55 PM
Although Parish seems obsessed with all things Palace past, the current Palace couldn't be more removed from the real Palace if it tried.

The whole club appears to be driven by ego's. From the board to the players.

Billyd
16-09-2017, 04:57 PM
Thing is the further we get away from the promotion team the worse we get and it should be the opposite.

This is the team Pulis took over that went on to the 5th or 6th best team in league (in his reign)

1Speroni
2Ward
21Moxey
15Jedinak
19Gabbidon
27Delaney
8Dikgacoi substituted for O'Keefe at 75'minutes
46Bannan
29Chamakh Substituted for Jeromeat 36'minutes
7Bolasie Booked at 78mins
16Gayle Substituted for Puncheonat 86'minutes

Let that sink in for a second and gives the answer to the original question.

jaspercpfc
16-09-2017, 05:02 PM
When you talk about the DNA I can only go as far back as 88' but I think many harp back to the Coppell era. We were never fashionable, we seldom got any praise from the media but the whole club was built on unity. Many of the squad grew together, and many of the players had a point to prove.
Opposition defenders knew they'd have Wrighty or Bright back chatting and winding them up for 90 minutes, whilst trying to get in there face but behind them you'd have Gray and Thomas doing the dirty work in midfield breaking up play. We were always built on a solid foundation, if you look back at 90/91 for example we seldom won games by more than the odd goal, but we were very disciplined. We did the simple things extremely well which is something the current crop don’t do. The 90/91 squad were resolute and played to their strengths.

If you look at the luxury players we've had in the last 20 years, very few have really ever blossomed and many have ever managed to establish themselves, with the club primarily excelling with industrious workman like individuals. (Lombardo/Jansen being notable exceptions) The game has evolved since that time but I would always associate us as an “up them and at them kinda team”
When things go wrong in life people often harp back to yester year and draw on inspiration from a better period. As football fans many are too sentimental, but for us we have totally imploded and we have a team that many would describe as unlikable, and that are distinctly lacking leadership. If I was in a team you'd want the likes of Thorn/Young/Thomas and co around you, they were limited in certain aspects but for hunger and desire they were up there with the best and you know they’d be there for you on the pitch.

CharlieCPFC
17-09-2017, 07:41 AM
When you talk about the DNA I can only go as far back as 88' but I think many harp back to the Coppell era. We were never fashionable, we seldom got any praise from the media but the whole club was built on unity. Many of the squad grew together, and many of the players had a point to prove.
Opposition defenders knew they'd have Wrighty or Bright back chatting and winding them up for 90 minutes, whilst trying to get in there face but behind them you'd have Gray and Thomas doing the dirty work in midfield breaking up play. We were always built on a solid foundation, if you look back at 90/91 for example we seldom won games by more than the odd goal, but we were very disciplined. We did the simple things extremely well which is something the current crop don’t do. The 90/91 squad were resolute and played to their strengths.

If you look at the luxury players we've had in the last 20 years, very few have really ever blossomed and many have ever managed to establish themselves, with the club primarily excelling with industrious workman like individuals. (Lombardo/Jansen being notable exceptions) The game has evolved since that time but I would always associate us as an “up them and at them kinda team”
When things go wrong in life people often harp back to yester year and draw on inspiration from a better period. As football fans many are too sentimental, but for us we have totally imploded and we have a team that many would describe as unlikable, and that are distinctly lacking leadership. If I was in a team you'd want the likes of Thorn/Young/Thomas and co around you, they were limited in certain aspects but for hunger and desire they were up there with the best and you know they’d be there for you on the pitch.

Fully agree as always M.

I think the whole club identity and DNA has a lot of meaning to it. For example the philosophy which exists today at Ajax stemmed from a philosophy of football that was wanted by the flamboyant Amsterdam culture and people.

We're becoming something that's getting away from the clubs tradition. When you look at what the Selhurst crowd loves and what's being served up or wanted by SP it's so far away from what we want. I've said time and time again we're caught at a crossroads on how this club needs to go about itself to advance and progress itself.

We had the perfect ingredients at the club from when Freedman was in charge. We had as I mentioned in my earlier post a tough middle with real pace out wide. It wasn't technically brilliant all the time but it got the crowd into play and the players thrived off that. This continued under the days of Pulis and early days of Pardew until he changed the style completely. It's all been downhill from there since until Sam gave us a glorious few months in a style the whole club bought into.

Look at other clubs supporters and their expectations of style of play etc like West Ham you sense a grasp that to bring together the club you should try and get that principle right. There's just a lack of direction at the club, f**ked if I know what SP's long term ambitions are. But during his early days in 2010 there was always a long term plan with everything, recruitment policy and style of play.

We've gone away from all of that, the fans are in limbo as to where we'll be in 6 months time let alone 2-3 years. The whole structured organised approach from boardroom level and downwards has disappeared and it's showing.

We had a golden chance to go an approach a Dyche or Wilder and get back to what's served us best. At least the fans would pull to the same direction and have had a good platform to build from.

Lingfield Eagle
17-09-2017, 07:54 AM
I agree and I'm concerned that if Hodgson and Lewington get us to play the England way then nothings going to change.