PDA

View Full Version : Where did it all start to unravel?

Pages : [1] 2

Lee sinnots ear
16-09-2017, 07:44 PM
Let's just think back a mere 20 months ago CYL scored a beauty up at Stoke that put us upto 5th in the Premier League!!!!

So what ONE single thing do people think started the demise?

My vote goes to buying Sako paying him £70k pissing off Bolasie that led to his departure, since that moment it has all gone tits up:veryangry

So what do people think?

spt1978
16-09-2017, 07:45 PM
Pardew being kept far too long.

CharlieCPFC
16-09-2017, 07:47 PM
Change of philosophy
Poor recruitment
No strategy or plan
Letting go of leaders too easily and not replacing - (recruitment)

The big thing is recruitment and long term plan.

Something that ironically enough took us up.

jobiinthelastmi
16-09-2017, 07:49 PM
Dropping Jules

Wolfnipplechips
16-09-2017, 07:49 PM
Thread derailed post three.

Is this a record?:D

EagleSE24
16-09-2017, 07:53 PM
No one thing. So many individual things including:

Letting Ben Garner go
Appointing Salako and the old boys to roles around the club
Selling Jedinak and not replacing him
Selling Bolasie and not replacing him
Going into last
season with one left back
Not sacking Pardew sooner
Panic buying in January
Making wrong choice with FdB
Not replacing an ageing squad in the summer

Add that to the apparent lack of clarity around the role of the Americans, plans for the ground and plans for the academy and it all begins to snowball.

EagleSE24
16-09-2017, 07:53 PM

GrayP41ace
16-09-2017, 07:54 PM
Let's just think back a mere 20 months ago CYL scored a beauty up at Stoke that put us upto 5th in the Premier League!!!!

My vote goes to buying Sako paying him £70k pissing off Bolasie that led to his departure, since that moment it has all gone tits up:veryangry

So what do people think?

2 games after that win, January window, Bolasie injured, Wickham injured, Dann injured, players playing that were in need of a rest and we strengthened the dwindling squad with an unfit waster on 70k in adebayor.

We then put all our eggs in the F A Cup basket with a squad running on empty and have never recovered.

jimmy the gent
16-09-2017, 07:56 PM
Well by results you'd have to say December 2015, around when the Yanks came in. Been downhill ever since, with a little bounce when Big Sam had settled in.

pallet
16-09-2017, 07:56 PM
Was it when Clinton hurt his shoulder?

HRS
16-09-2017, 07:59 PM
Not allowing Pulis to bring in the players he wanted. Director of football Steve Parish knew best.

mrdance88
Jedinak leaving for me..

MAW
Not spending £200 million per year.

Ralph
16-09-2017, 08:02 PM
When the HF got that drum.

bonzo
16-09-2017, 08:06 PM

So what do people think?

That is litrally when it went wrong. Bolasie got injured in the celebration and we all know the rest.

meee
16-09-2017, 08:06 PM
Bolasie got injured that day. Then we sold him. A club with a scouting network as bad as ours can't afford to sell our best players.

Edit: Great minds

jimmy the gent
16-09-2017, 08:07 PM
When the old "EEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEES" chant was fazed out.

CPFC.1990
16-09-2017, 08:09 PM
When the players went to the board rather than the manager to have a whinge. The players seem to love going crying to the board.

That nasty man plays better than us in training and it's not fair. Sack him. Precious idiots.

dim
When Pardew was let loose to spend money on errr...

Chunt
Not matching Tony Pulis' ambitions.

AddoWolz
When we sold Ian Wright :grrr:

GrayP41ace
16-09-2017, 08:10 PM
Jedinak leaving for me..

We'd lost 18 from 23 games whilst he was playing, it hasn't got better without him granted, but he was as much a part of the beginning of the shit show.

in-exile
16-09-2017, 08:11 PM
Selling Yannick started this path!

rainbow_child
16-09-2017, 08:13 PM
Having just 1 Striker!

Heath eagle
16-09-2017, 08:14 PM
2 games after that win, January window, Bolasie injured, Wickham injured, Dann injured, players playing that were in need of a rest and we strengthened the dwindling squad with an unfit waster on 70k in adebayor.

We then put all our eggs in the F A Cup basket with a squad running on empty and have never recovered.

Is sako really on 70k , that is absolutely criminal

Eagle's Nest
16-09-2017, 08:15 PM
The Americans. We were 3rd when they bought a huge share. We've been on a terrible run since.

RAB
16-09-2017, 08:15 PM
The Drum. Should now start playing The Funeral Beat.

Sam Spade
16-09-2017, 08:16 PM
Appointing Big Mal

Heath eagle
16-09-2017, 08:17 PM
The Americans. We were 3rd when they bought a huge share. We've been on a terrible run since.

You can't argue with this

Neil 154
16-09-2017, 08:17 PM

There you have it. Could it be the big wages they are prepared to pay to players? Creates imbalance and envy in the squad. Players no longer in it for the love of the game?

Kai
16-09-2017, 08:18 PM
Not replacing outgoing players with better ones and never coming prepared into a season. It was bound to come to hit us in the face at some point and does so now

Blind_Eagle
16-09-2017, 08:19 PM
£££

newish eagle
16-09-2017, 08:21 PM
When you stick Jordan Mutch on 40k a week for 3 years (allegedly)....

PeterH
16-09-2017, 08:23 PM
The Yanks - including SP and AP in New York courting their graces and playing the 'we've made it' publicity game when the fitness and training was a shambles.

Codman Haddock
16-09-2017, 08:23 PM
Bolasie and Zaha were frightening....

MENTALLY TOUGH
16-09-2017, 08:31 PM
The transfer window of Jan 2016.
At the start of it we were in Top 6 just knocked out Southampton in the FA Cup, and like the summer of 1991 we had a chance to make a point of showing our ambition. What did we do? we bought in the waste of space Adebayor, did not get a replacements in for the injured Bolasie and Wickham (Again). That was the time to give Pardew the dosh while his stock was still high, not in the summer when by then a fair few of us would not have moaned if he had been sacked after the way we collapsed duting the 2nd half of the season. Some will say blame the Americans but surely at that time Parish would have probably held sway, where as now if I was one of the investors I would be looking as Parish position thinking is he the right man to run this club.

Thefunkymonk
16-09-2017, 08:31 PM
Pardew being kept far too long.

Yep.

Hedgehog
16-09-2017, 08:42 PM
Something seemed to snap when we lost to Villa 1-0 away... when the ball went between Hennessy's legs. It had been going along pretty smoothly until that game.

SJ'sLoveMonkey
16-09-2017, 08:43 PM
Year after year of poor planning

Palacemad2002
16-09-2017, 08:43 PM
Ever since Mark Bright got a free ride in Stevey P's Lambo.

Heath eagle
16-09-2017, 08:47 PM
Ever since Mark Bright got a free ride in Stevey P's Lambo.

He has a Ferrari, get it right:D

Thefunkymonk
16-09-2017, 08:48 PM
When parish and pards started believing their own hype.. pards for England.. pards for Barcelona... palace for Europe..

H.Bomb
16-09-2017, 08:49 PM
Pardew started the rot with selfish and deluded opinions about himself. Shocking management from the board. We are a disgrace. Reep what you sow

cdm61
16-09-2017, 08:53 PM
Not sacking Pardew after the Cup Final

palacemetros
16-09-2017, 08:56 PM
Appointing Big Mal

:eek: How very dare you!

Hector
16-09-2017, 08:58 PM
Cup final, people got stucked into believing a fun day out was something important

PeterH
16-09-2017, 09:04 PM
Cup final, people got stucked into believing a fun day out was something important

For us traditionalists, it is.

stumpy feelers
16-09-2017, 09:05 PM

Wanker, I'd have given my right bollock to win that.

FetchamEagle
16-09-2017, 09:07 PM
Not investing in the absolute sub standard infrastructure despite being told by the board it was the prime objective ! Selhurst Park is a tip an embarrassment if we demand premiership quality on the field it needs to matched by the facilities!! For me there is a link between the appalling Selhurst Park and our abysmal home record !?

What?

Leopald Stotch
When parish and pards started believing their own hype.. pards for England.. pards for Barcelona... palace for Europe..

Spot on!

gilesy14
16-09-2017, 09:08 PM
I look back at January 2016. The window for starters was a shambles. Our squad had literally played out of its skin to get into the top 6 at Xmas. It desperately needed reinforcements - this was proved with the Bolasie injury. All we did was bring in Adebayor - a mercenary who hadn't played regular football for almost 2 years. Yet another short term solution - in fact, that's over doing it. He wasn't a solution at all as it turned out.. It was appalling business & most of us knew how it would end up.

Not to mention we did that documentary for Yank TV which basically was the club giving itself one almighty pat on the back like we'd made it. It makes me cringe thinking about it now - I genuinely think certain people at the club thought we were the finished article & took their eyes off the ball. It all went down hill from there - our league form was abysmal from there on in. & I don't think we've ever really recovered.

Wolfnipplechips
16-09-2017, 09:09 PM

Not so much a fun day out.....but actually winning something would be worth doing.

I'd take winning the FA cup over continual scrapping for survival every day.

Sam Spade
16-09-2017, 09:09 PM
:eek: How very dare you!

First relegation from the top flight, never fully recovered.

Thefunkymonk
16-09-2017, 09:11 PM
I look back at January 2016. The window for starters was a shambles. Our squad had literally played out of its skin to get into the top 6 at Xmas. It desperately needed reinforcements - this was proved with the Bolasie injury. All we did was bring in Adebayor - mercenary who hadn't played regular football for almost 2 years. It was appallinb business & most of us knew how it would end up.

Not to mention we did that documentary for Yank TV which basically was the club giving itself one almighty pat on the back like we'd made it. It makes me cringe thinking about it now - I genuinely think certain people at the club thought we were the finished article & took their eyes off the ball. It all went down hill from there - our league form was abysmal from there on in. & I don't think we've ever really recovered.

Yep.

Too busy high fiving each other and rubbing egos on sky tv rather than managing the club

Shambles.

Relegation beckons. We will literally lose 75% of the squad (that's better than Burnley apparently) and have nothing to show for 'our best period ever'

Reg_Maudling
16-09-2017, 09:19 PM
pardew
At least pulis allardyce and hodgson know it's about hardwork
and preparation

meee
16-09-2017, 09:29 PM
Something seemed to snap when we lost to Villa 1-0 away... when the ball went between Hennessy's legs. It had been going along pretty smoothly until that game.

That game seems really important now. Zaha hit the post about 45 seconds in. If he'd scored I think the last 20 monthsish would have been very different.

MENTALLY TOUGH
16-09-2017, 09:33 PM
When FDB wore those white trousers to that first Press Conference. You could see the jealousy in Parish face.

Palacemad2002
He has a Ferrari, get it right:D Personally, i feel you're nothing if you dont have a VW scirocco anyway :D

little dedders

This for me.

Palacemad2002
16-09-2017, 09:37 PM

**** you! And im not usually one for being confrontational, but **** you! That final meant the world to so many of us. What id give for us to have won that game and finally get a domestic honour on the board. Most emotional day of my life following this club and thats saying something.

BillyTKid
16-09-2017, 09:43 PM
Since the Americans bought in things have obviously been rough. The link I make is that we seem to have prioritised a few high profile signings and building a first eleven rather than a well balanced squad. I was excited to get Benteke and Sakho but it's no good having these guys if you still have to play Lee, Puncheon, Hennessy and Ward.

Skintagain
16-09-2017, 10:11 PM
It started to unravel when Pulis left. We only got one player in that summer, MacArthur, when we needed 3 or 4. The squad was threadbare.
Pardew got Cabs, Benteke and Townsend but the rest were dross. I don't know if this was poor choices or budget but players like Fryers, Mutch, Chungy and Sako were way off the pace from the outset. Its these mistakes that have set us up for the position we're in today.

MENTALLY TOUGH
16-09-2017, 10:15 PM
It started to unravel when Pulis left. We only got one player in that summer, MacArthur, when we needed 3 or 4. The squad was threadbare.
Pardew got Cabs, Benteke and Townsend but the rest were dross. I don't know if this was poor choices or budget but players like Fryers, Mutch, Chungy and Sako were way off the pace from the outset. Its these mistakes that have set us up for the position we're in today.

How could you forget Fraizer Campbell, he was our big summer signing whilst Pulis was still here.:cool:

stamford triumph
16-09-2017, 10:18 PM
That game seems really important now. Zaha hit the post about 45 seconds in. If he'd scored I think the last 20 monthsish would have been very different.
Have to agree with you. Went to that game full of optimism. Zaha hits the post and I was certain we would steamroller them. Hennessey snatches defeat from the jaws of victory and other than the cup final it has all been all downhill ever since. So Palace.

st albans
16-09-2017, 10:22 PM

This for me. All very uncomfortable viewing at the time. Very un palace. All this at the same time as the American owners and the NBC documentary....felt like the start of us losing our identity

Dawkins' Banana
16-09-2017, 10:44 PM

We got many more players in that summer than just McArthur: Chris Kettings, Brede Hangeland, Frazier Campbell, Martin Kelly, Andy Johnson, Kevin Doyle, Zeki Fryers and, I believe, a certain Wilfried Zaha on loan from Man U. Fryers was also a Warnock signing that summer, not a Pardew signing.

Mictor Voses
16-09-2017, 10:47 PM
Dropping Jules

Not far off the mark there. I have never seen anything in Hennessey, Mandanda or McCarthy to suggest that they were any better than Speroni.

For me the moment that sticks out was Bolasie getting injured up at Stoke and the being sold the summer after. Talk about losing our identity- he encompassed everything that was good about Palace and was such a key part of everything we did. Despite that it's very hard to put your finger one any one moment. I think what we have seen so far this season is a culmualtion of mismanagement. Mismanaging the balance of the squad, mismanagement in terms of letting the wrong managers go and bringing the wrong ones in and spending a lot of money on players that have made us no better. I read something John Salako put on Twitter in terms of Steve Parish being lucky and I can see what he means having thought about it. We have gone from manager to manager and spending our way out of trouble for nearly four years now and there is only so much you can do of that before it catches up with you. I just hope that we at least put in a challenge this season. Would hate for us to go down with a whimper like Villa and Sunderland did.

audreytatou
16-09-2017, 10:51 PM
Selling Jedi.

Green Bin
16-09-2017, 10:55 PM
How could you forget Fraizer Campbell, he was our big summer signing whilst Pulis was still here.:cool:

However seemingly limited Campbell was, he usually ran his heart out and least scored a couple of goals, but actually the purchase of both Campbell and Gayle, two players who need to be part of a front two playing off a target man, when the team philosophy for most of our current tenure in the Premiership has been to play one guy up top and two wide men shows how badly thought out our recruitment strategy has been.

TouchyAndalou
16-09-2017, 10:56 PM
There have been plenty of mistakes off the pitch, but when Bolasie got injured against Stoke the start of a very long run of poor results began. It wasn't a coincidence.

Wycombe Eagle#2
16-09-2017, 11:55 PM

Pulis $hitted on us walking out when he did but if I'm honest he done a great job whilst he was here.

I'd love to know what really went on though. I remember at the time him saying he had studied a model of a club similar to us and wanted to build an infrastructure. I think it was real sociedad. 4 years on and we have no infrastructure. No plans for a much needed ground redevelopment, academy no further forward, squad pathetic. Nothing to show in 4 years. All this taking the p*** and claiming his bonus back for keeping us up. Karma really is a b****

palacelad197o
17-09-2017, 12:06 AM
letting pullis go and sticking with pardew to long letting bollasie go and failing to buy another striker to play alongside benteke. Letting sammy walk away and then letting the other sammy walk away. I fear the Americans want the parachute payments after we have offloaded

leweseagle
17-09-2017, 08:03 AM
When Pardew jigged down the touchline at Wembley you sort of knew that was that and we've never recovered. It represented a defining moment of vanity, egotism, aloofness, misdirected spirit, entitlement that is not the Palace way.
Keeping Pardew so long represented not a club pulling together like the Palace do but the emergence of cliques and dysfunction. A club spinning out of control. A club gorging itself at the top table rather than trying to outsmart them.
Jettisoning talismanic players like Jules, FFS, Jedi....proper Palace players for Fancy Dan's was not a Palace thing. We are scrappers and that is our proud culture.

We stopped doing what we did best and the riches of the Premier League have ultimately corrupted our soul.

Sakho is the absolute key to our possible return to form. We all wanted him back because he is a proven Palace warrior and hopefully his indefatigable spirit will rub Palace dust off onto the other players.

Parish needs to stop playing fantasy football Chairman and start playing Crystal Palace Chairman and be comfortable at what we do best in our dna,

pauldrulez
17-09-2017, 08:16 AM
Letting Pardew remove any player more popular than him from the squad or starting line-up was the start.

NRM the 2nd
17-09-2017, 08:30 AM
Yes he tried to mug us off but the moment pulis left as that was the sign the club were not prepared to move forward the way it needed to

Ogilvy
17-09-2017, 08:34 AM
For me it was the first year up, and the moment was giving us hope and a fighting chance. Over the last 40+ years the relegations I've seen have been about knowing your down by Christmas, you have the 'fans false hope' but you just know. Appointing Pullis, Pards and BFS have shown us it is possible to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat. Knowing this and with some hindsight surly when BFS threw his ticket it, there were two possible roads to go down. Boring stability, Stoke, WBA, Burnley etc. Know your place and play to your strengths.

Or you could gamble. Change everything overnight, a new exciting style, that will take the Premier league by storm. Attractive football, and results. Take your time with the appointment and agree that this gamble is going to cost millions, but the investment would be worth it, after all, the new style couldn't work with Hennessy, Ward, Delany et al.

So for me the single moment is when you put the Lamborghini badge on the front of the Palace Vauxhall Nova and told us not to worry, the engine had been modified, and if we needed a fancy spoiler and big shiny wheels we could get them in January.

Who's to say what's right, if Dyche was here grinding out results, us sitting on 4 points we'd be moaning, saying we have flair players, great players and are drawing 0-0 with Huddesfield and scrapping a 1-0 home to a poor Southampton.

Windsor_Eagle
17-09-2017, 08:36 AM
Too simplistic to pick any one moment. However, a series of events epitomised that we felt like we 'had arrived'. It has beem downhill since then.

We got to those heights (5th at Xmas 2015) through some good fortune, hard work and a brilliant spirit / attitude. Instead of recognising that for what it was, we believed our own hype, changed our view on the sorts of players we needed and then, like Icarus, started the see the situation for the unsustainable thing that it was and lacked the nous or quality to overcome it.

Bolasie popping his hip will be that moment for me as it immediately sparked an 'oh no' because a few of us were realising up to that Stoke match that our wins were not necessarily reflected on our play. We just knew that Bolasie going then would make us impotent and so it proved.

We allowed Pardew too long (for the 2nd half of the 2015 / 2016 season that was more than umderstandable given the preceding 12 months). This prolonged allowance for AP to stay on had the effect of strangling the players belief and confidence. Like oxygen depletion to the brain, you can survive but are impacted long after. We are still reeling from the effects of this.

Indecisive and confused leadership from the top have compoinded matters and we have been staggering around since.

We desperately need experienced and knowledgable heads to control the wobbling vehicle now and serve us the medicine. In such a way I think Roy is (eventually) the right guy for right now. If it comes with relegation, so be it. If he keeps us up, then he will, correctly assume legendary status for us.

exiledeagle
17-09-2017, 08:39 AM
SP and AP having photo taken with Pierce Morgan acting as if they were celebrities , AP should have been on training ground we were already on a dismal run .

Chris Finch
17-09-2017, 08:39 AM
Having a survival strategy that relies on other teams failings

the digger
17-09-2017, 08:43 AM
Selling Murray.

Skintagain
17-09-2017, 08:45 AM
We got many more players in that summer than just McArthur: Chris Kettings, Brede Hangeland, Frazier Campbell, Martin Kelly, Andy Johnson, Kevin Doyle, Zeki Fryers and, I believe, a certain Wilfried Zaha on loan from Man U. Fryers was also a Warnock signing that summer, not a Pardew signing.

I don't deny it but you are reinforcing my point about the dross we got in.

Skintagain
17-09-2017, 08:48 AM
When the new cladding was treated as a triumph I knew we were doomed.

FourtyTwo
17-09-2017, 08:48 AM
Pardew not being sacked before Van Gaal after the cup final.

eaglejez
17-09-2017, 08:53 AM

So what do people think?

Yannick getting injured in the celebration at Stoke when we went 5th. I was there and whilst everyone else was celebrating I noticed this and knew this would be the end of us in the Premier League and probably the descent into League 1 *

* that my friend is a classic Palace pessimistic side ;)

RCUK
17-09-2017, 08:54 AM
Biggest mistake is not investing in the right players.

Simple as that.

We bought lots of journey men and none of them were here to actually play, but just to get a wage.

Ameobi for **** sakes... Who thought that was a good idea.

eaglejez
17-09-2017, 08:58 AM
We've supported Palace long enough to know eventually we will muck it up but tbf we've had some bad luck too. Reasons its all gone pearshaped in no particular order

1. terrible terrible awful and embarrasing scouting network. This sets us apart from every other team in the top two divisions by a long chalk. Not getting this sorted meant that short of the odd fluke a Stoke / West Brom type stability could never happen

2. Selling Murray. Completely illogical. Helped fuel the negative atmosphere and caused us to struggle for months (aswell as getting Brighton promoted)

3. Yannick getting injured just at the point we actually did ok

4. Sam leaving

5. Pulis leaving

6. Getting FDB

Favelly Weston
17-09-2017, 09:03 AM
We've supported Palace long enough to know eventually we will muck it up but tbf we've had some bad luck too. Reasons its all gone pearshaped in no particular order

1. terrible terrible awful and embarrasing scouting network. This sets us apart from every other team in the top two divisions by a long chalk. Not getting this sorted meant that short of the odd fluke a Stoke / West Brom type stability could never happen

2. Selling Murray. Completely illogical. Helped fuel the negative atmosphere and caused us to struggle for months (aswell as getting Brighton promoted)

3. Yannick getting injured just at the point we actually did ok

4. Sam leaving

5. Pulis leaving

6. Getting FDB

It's a combination of many things, including bad luck, but this (above) is a biggy.

Cpfcbob
17-09-2017, 09:05 AM
Where did it all start to unravel?

Getting helicopters to away games with fake mates, whilst an NBC film crew follows you around

the drexciyan
17-09-2017, 09:06 AM
On the pitch: Not buying a quality striker straight after we got promoted.

Getting that in place would have given us the platform to introduce different styles of play, instead we became over-reliant on the 4231 and the freakish talents of our 2 wide men compared to the talents in the rest of the side.

Also: Subsequent attempts to strengthen the side just patched things over on the striker front whilst inflating our wage bill until we went the full hog and purchased a proven goalscorer who is lethal with his head when serviced, but who walks around for a lot of the time. Relegation worries led to increased short-termism with the player purchases culminating in last January. We cant keep spending that amount of money and puffing up the wage bill in the process, something had to give and it was reflected in the unspoken 'hands-tied' transfer strategy this summer.

Off the Pitch: American owners
I mean, where the fck is the product of their investments if they were going to pay to rebuild the stadium? Just use their money to pay Sainsburies the premium they want and just get the fck on with it.

What good have they done for us? Serious question.

the drexciyan
17-09-2017, 09:10 AM
on the striker subject

Kevin Doyle
Ameobi
AJ
Keshi Anderson
Ladapo
Adebayor
Frazier Campbell
Yaya Say-no-to-goals

a few more probably but all illustrative of skirting around the issue.

New LP
17-09-2017, 09:11 AM
Yes he tried to mug us off but the moment pulis left as that was the sign the club were not prepared to move forward the way it needed to

Totally.

The moment it became clear that the club was not going to be run properly.

AddoWolz
17-09-2017, 09:12 AM
The summer transfer window was an absolute bloody disaster, totally amateurish , we could all SEE WE NEEDED A STRIKER and what did we do ? Go and Spunk 34 million pounds on 2 centre backs and 1 of those can't even play , who the hell is in charge of player recruitment at our club ?

New LP
17-09-2017, 09:13 AM
On the pitch: Not buying a quality striker straight after we got promoted.

Getting that in place would have given us the platform to introduce different styles of play, instead we became over-reliant on the 4231 and the freakish talents of our 2 wide men compared to the talents in the rest of the side.

Also: Subsequent attempts to strengthen the side just patched things over on the striker front whilst inflating our wage bill until we went the full hog and purchased a proven goalscorer who is lethal with his head when serviced, but who walks around for a lot of the time. Relegation worries led to increased short-termism with the player purchases culminating in last January. We cant keep spending that amount of money and puffing up the wage bill in the process, something had to give and it was reflected in the unspoken 'hands-tied' transfer strategy this summer.

I mean, where the fck is the product of their investments if they were going to pay to rebuild the stadium? Just use their money to pay Sainsburies the premium they want and just get the fck on with it.

The Americans have put millions into the club. They are a convenient scapegoat though.

stevedb55
17-09-2017, 09:16 AM
I hope City have an off day next week or there will be new records broken....

the drexciyan
17-09-2017, 09:17 AM
The Americans have put millions into the club. They are a convenient scapegoat though.

Not really. Their money was intended for a long-term investment in stadium infrastucture etc, or so the punters were led to believe. Is the implication then that their money has instead been used for short-term measures like transfer fees and wages?

fish finger
17-09-2017, 09:19 AM
In the January window when we got Adebayor instead of Defoe.
According to Salako Defoe wanted to come but someone said No.
Defoe gets an England recall. Adebayor got a good song.
Palace struggle since.

Skintagain
17-09-2017, 09:21 AM

Que?, they're not here for us, they're here for Sky's money.

I've long since realised there will be no new stadium, stand or purchase of the Sainsburys end. It doesn't make financial sense, only a fan with the usual (clouded) vision would think it can, in any event it would be a very long term investment beyond what makes sense for the current shareholders.

If the way we are playing continues we'll be finished by Xmas and a new manager won't save us and I doubt they'll sack Hodgeson. Even worse we'll lose Wilf if we go down and can't see the rest getting us back up. Crowds will drop drastically if we are relegated.

Still, lets look on the bright side we'll still have the new cladding and possibly Derby's record.

Skintagain
17-09-2017, 09:24 AM
Not really. Their money was intended for a long-term investment in stadium infrastucture etc, or so the punters were led to believe. Is the implication then that their money has instead been used for short-term measures like transfer fees and wages?

We'll never know but it seems likely to have been used in January's rescue by BFS.

the drexciyan
17-09-2017, 09:25 AM
We'll never know but it seems likely to have been used in January's rescue by BFS.

That is my thoughts too.

Sleeping Giant
17-09-2017, 09:34 AM
We were in our strongest position ever at the point of Sam's exit. It was bleedin obvious to most of the posters on here (you recognise as being usually right) that we needed as a minimum, Keeper, CB, striker cover and tricky winger cover. That is assuming we kept everyone else. Of those 4 priorities, no matter how good some of the other acquisitions we sorted 1/4. Add to that SP concluding the upside of going 3 at the back outweighed the upside of Sean Dyche with not a care in the world for the downside and you find yourselves with suicide on your hands. There has been no account of the emotional damage from last season and lack of on pitch leaders. This could be the biggest collapse in our history given Sansom and Wright left and we could do nothing about it. We couldn't even manage the bleed*n obvious yesterday, completely ignoring the high profile trick Sam used to arrest our slide in protecting the back 4 with Luka. What a weird club we are right now. It's a shame because all the good work in other areas, keeping Wilf etc has been spectacularly dwarfed.

Favelly Weston
17-09-2017, 09:37 AM

Slightly off topic I know, but City scored 6 without reply at Watford yesterday. Watford won 2-0 away at Southampton a week ago. We lost to Southampton 0-1 yesterday. That obviously means Man City are 6+2+1 = 9 goals better than us. Add on a couple more for them being at home and that looks like being an 11-0 thrashing.

They donít call me a pessimist for nothing. Or is that a realist?

Hooray, itís my 100th post!

the drexciyan
17-09-2017, 09:42 AM
Slightly off topic I know, but City scored 6 without reply at Watford yesterday. Watford won 2-0 away at Southampton a week ago. We lost to Southampton 0-1 yesterday. That obviously means Man City are 6+2+1 = 9 goals better than us. Add on a couple more for them being at home and that looks like being an 11-0 thrashing.

Hooray, itís my 100th post!

I believe it makes you an optimist. 6 times a cumulative -3 gives a predicted score of in fact 18-0.

jimmy the gent
17-09-2017, 09:47 AM

Could be their turn for a 9 0

L'head Eagle
17-09-2017, 09:50 AM
Losing leaders and personalities from the team, Murray, Jedi and Bolasie. Wrongly thinking Delaney and Puncheon are the leaders in the squad. This alone might have kept a steady ship with all the changes in managers and maintained some form of continuity. Further compounded recently by stunting the influence of someone like Luka who is a leader in the making.

Brett
17-09-2017, 10:02 AM
Off the field: the Yanks

On it: letting Garner go

Richard
17-09-2017, 10:09 AM
When the HF got that drum.

Gets my vote.

Stavros 69
17-09-2017, 10:15 AM
Planning
It's that simple for me
Pulis, Pardew, BFS - all decent enough managers but all have been replaced and we've moved on, the problem is we never have someone lined up. Over 6 weeks to bring in FdB was a joke, and then we didn't have a plan.

The plan was supposed to be evolution not revolution but if we did our homework better we'd have understood FdB wasn't that type of manager.

We know where we've been exposed for years. Every summer we come on here and comment on the positions that need improving. Last summer it was fullbacks and keepers, this summer it was fullbacks, keepers and now wingers and strikers. No plan, no direction.

Every player is replaceable, commenting that selling yannick was our undoing is crazy, the problem was we had no plan to replace him.

Now we have an unbalanced squad and the reliance on Wilf, Dros and Ben is insane. One gets injured we're finished. We have no goals from MF. Punch hasn't scored in over a year, Cabaye rarely chips in and we have literally nothing on the bench. In 2 years how many goals/assists/game changing moments have we had from the likes on Chungy, Sako, Mutch, Youth players? only chungy's goal at Stoke. We're so devoid of any quality and there is no plan to replace or upgrade.

No plan on the youth set up, no plan on the stadium apart from a lick of paint.
I mean it's still almost impossible to get a pint at half time that is drinkable or having to deal with the retards who can't price up 4 beers in under 4 mins. It's a shambles.

What's worse is when we get relegated will we have a plan to come back up, doubtful.

T.C.
17-09-2017, 10:22 AM
When we got promoted.

The infrastructure was shot and we were still unstable then

It's all been too much in such a short time.

We were run by well-meaning amateurs who didn't (and still don't) know how to run a club at this level

T.C.
17-09-2017, 10:22 AM
When we got promoted.

The infrastructure was shot and we were still unstable then

It's all been too much in such a short time.

We were run by well-meaning amateurs who didn't (and still don't) know how to run a club at this level

New LP
17-09-2017, 10:31 AM
Off the field: the Yanks

On it: letting Garner go

Yep, blame the Yanks. It's their decisions over several years which have landed us in this mess obviously.

New LP
17-09-2017, 10:40 AM

Their money has clearly been spent on players.

Regardless though I don't really understand why they are to blame. Unless you are desperate to blame anyone except Steve Parish for everything.

Godstone Eagle
17-09-2017, 10:40 AM
John Salako's tweets yesterday an eyeopener..no doubting where hes pointing the blame at!

Purepalace
17-09-2017, 10:48 AM
When they filmed the documentary with Parish, Wright and Bright in a helicopter.

Purepalace
17-09-2017, 10:48 AM
John Salako's tweets yesterday an eyeopener..no doubting where hes pointing the blame at!

Do share!

bigGcpfc
17-09-2017, 11:00 AM
What's worse is when we get relegated will we have a plan to come back up, doubtful.[/QUOTE]

I think the team we have now would get relegated from the next 2 divisions below. Townsend, Benteke and Zaha would all leave and we would probably still have Hodgson.What a mess.

Lydder
17-09-2017, 11:02 AM
Realising that only YES men stick around Parish.

Pulis left because Parish insisted we sign Wilf (im not complaining, but Pulis didn't want him)

He then went onto resign AJ, the second summer in a row he was chased for no more than nostalgia.

Dougie as Sporting Director...

This falls at only one mans feet due to a big list of ridiculous decisions over the last few years.

macstar
17-09-2017, 11:08 AM
Bolasie getting injured up at Stoke

Gregz41
17-09-2017, 11:09 AM
I think it all comes down to the under valuing of Bolasie. One season on after his departure and I've come to realise that the new waves of signings Sako, Van Aanholt, Schlupp, Mutch, Mccarthy, Cabaye etc might have cost a lot, but none deserved to be on more than Bolasie in terms of output on the pitch.

One year on and it appears we've learnt our lesson making Zaha our top earner. However we are stuck with a squad of vastly inferior players.

the drexciyan
17-09-2017, 11:32 AM
Their money has clearly been spent on players.

Regardless though I don't really understand why they are to blame. Unless you are desperate to blame anyone except Steve Parish for everything.

No agendas here. But I'm not blinkered either.

in-exile
17-09-2017, 11:35 AM
I think it all comes down to the under valuing of Bolasie. One season on after his departure and I've come to realise that the new waves of signings Sako, Van Aanholt, Schlupp, Mutch, Mccarthy, Cabaye etc might have cost a lot, but none deserved to be on more than Bolasie in terms of output on the pitch.

One year on and it appears we've learnt our lesson making Zaha our top earner. However we are stuck with a squad of vastly inferior players.We were ripping off the players that brought the club up while overpaying new signings!

in-exile
17-09-2017, 11:36 AM

Hooray, itís my 100th post!:(

Phil's Barber
17-09-2017, 11:44 AM
Taking the wooden seats out of the Main Stand.

Nelson Muntz
17-09-2017, 11:46 AM
Fulham away. Hennessey debut.

Brett
17-09-2017, 11:55 AM
Yep, blame the Yanks. It's their decisions over several years which have landed us in this mess obviously.

Calm down.

It's possible to include that description as a concept as well. Doesn't really matter which Yanks we got lumbered with, it was the point Parish took his eye off the ball and we lost the likes of Browett and Long (obvious counterweights to Parish).

laths
17-09-2017, 12:04 PM
Hennessy at Villa

CPFC85
17-09-2017, 12:12 PM
Change of philosophy
Poor recruitment
No strategy or plan
Letting go of leaders too easily and not replacing - (recruitment)

The big thing is recruitment and long term plan.

Something that ironically enough took us up.

No real significant improvement to the stadium, infrastructure (especially scouting and manager recruitment), player recruitment (no real strategy with average players on bloated wages), and the academy.

Too much inteference from chairman too where buying players has been concerned. As well as playing philosophy.

Feels like 5 years in the premier league has been a total waste of time.

H.Bomb
17-09-2017, 12:14 PM
The rot started with Pardew getting us into 7th, talking about Europa League and the England job. We didn't strengthen when needed and many of our 'squad' are surplus to requirements. I also think that the American investors have had a negative effect on our club by taking our identity away. It's our own fault we are in this mess.

JJ
17-09-2017, 12:16 PM
The moment it all started going belly up for me was when Wilf hit the post after 40 seconds away at Villa. If that went in they'd have collapsed and we'd have kicked on. And of course Hennessey gave them the winner...

Bryan
17-09-2017, 01:11 PM
Obviously when we signed the deal with the Americans.

bestperch
17-09-2017, 02:10 PM
When we started paying players £100k a week .

New LP
17-09-2017, 02:11 PM
No agendas here. But I'm not blinkered either.

I just genuinely don't see how the Americans are to blame here.

They have allowed Parish to run the club.

burgess hill 84
17-09-2017, 02:42 PM
The dream is over, to be fair its lasted a lot longer than we all expected, back to the reality of the championship next season and crowds of 14,000.

eagleDAN
17-09-2017, 02:52 PM
A lot of people here seem to think the rot started when the Americans became involved.
I don't really see that their involvement has had any noticeable effect on Palace - I don't see that we are splashing cash to a level what we can't afford ( with FFP being quoted by Parish it would suggest we are in budget ) and there's no investment in infrastructure of any real note. Maybe some compensation to too many Managers. Maybe they are as keen on the 'moneyball' transfer policy as SP?

I often wish the Americans had half the effect on Palace that some people suggest they have - maybe we wouldn't be in such a mess now.

RedStripe Eagle
17-09-2017, 02:57 PM
When uncle Ron didn't buy Alan Shearer

boxthorncutter
17-09-2017, 02:57 PM
when the Wall Street gang took over.

you can't point out what they've done wrong but it's like they're a curse.

then again good managers walking out on us is nothing new.

dave_who_ru
17-09-2017, 03:16 PM
At the end of the brilliant 12 month run with Pardew in December 2015.

1. Bolasie and Wickham injured in Stoke away win
2. We started believing the hype and the 'management' clearly thought the team was good enough
3. Pardew talking about England manager job
4. Not buying anyone in the January 2016 window (Adebayor came in on loan + Randell Williams from Tower Hamlets and Freddie Ladapo 3 months later from Margate)
5. Negotiations with Americans probably meant we took our eyes of the ball

Neckinger Eagle
17-09-2017, 03:17 PM
A lot of people here seem to think the rot started when the Americans became involved.
I don't really see that their involvement has had any noticeable effect on Palace - I don't see that we are splashing cash to a level what we can't afford ( with FFP being quoted by Parish it would suggest we are in budget ) and there's no investment in infrastructure of any real note. Maybe some compensation to too many Managers. Maybe they are as keen on the 'moneyball' transfer policy as SP?

I often wish the Americans had half the effect on Palace that some people suggest they have - maybe we wouldn't be in such a mess now.

I have not seen any evidence that Parish operates or understands 'Moneyball'. That's laughable.

mb23
17-09-2017, 03:29 PM

So what do people think?

Problems were there as soon as we appointed Pardew. Recruitment was always wrong, the players were never physically strong enough, and as time went on we became more and more complacent.

Pardew is a great motivator but struggles when things go wrong. We somehow were 5th at Christmas in our third season up (more out of luck that ability), and we should have really given it a good go in the January transfer window.

Instead, all we signed was Adebayor. Bolasie got injured, Sako didn't have the impact he was having at the start of the season, and the admittedly brilliant cup run was used as the perfect excuse for our horrific league form.

Pardew and his mates on the coaching staff clearly didn't have a clue how to turn things around and should have been sacked at the end of that season. Instead they were given 6 months extra.

Meanwhile a squad who had a habit of losing wasn't properly added to in the 2016 summer, meaning the losing mentality was still there. Our two most charismatic players (Bolasie and Jedinak) were sold, while Gayle was replaced by a crock in Remy that we clearly didn't do our homework on before signing.

So many problems in 2016 which never got sorted out, and the complacency/negligence which followed, has left us in this mess.

civil eagle
17-09-2017, 03:33 PM
When the US investors got involved and Bolaise injured himself at Stoke

the drexciyan
17-09-2017, 03:55 PM
Tbh I think it all started after Ray Bloye sold the Whitehorse to Sainsburies. We've been fcked ever since in one way or another.

boxthorncutter
17-09-2017, 04:04 PM
when the gypos cursed Selhurst Park

Buysakho
17-09-2017, 04:19 PM
When did it go wrong. We are in the premier league, somehow kept zaha. Only 5 games in. Got to a cup final a few years ago. sakho is back. Everyone chill your beans.

hatter8142
17-09-2017, 04:23 PM
When Steve Parish appointed himself manager.

pots1970
17-09-2017, 04:25 PM
Buying marquee signings instead of overall squad strengthening, leaving us unbalanced and weak, add the constant changing of manager that means even the players we do sign are not used enough, i.e. Luka, pva and schlup by fdb and now jairo by Roy

Gerry from Sussex
17-09-2017, 04:40 PM
So, to summarise this thread it's all down to:

Sh1t scouting and recruitment
Sh1t owners
Sh1t managers (apart from the good ones who leave in a hurry)
Mostly Sh1t players (apart from the good ones who will be sold in a hurry to recoup some money for the Sh1t owners).

Hope I haven't missed anything!!

New LP
17-09-2017, 04:45 PM
When did it go wrong. We are in the premier league, somehow kept zaha. Only 5 games in. Got to a cup final a few years ago. sakho is back. Everyone chill your beans.

How does the cup final bit help us in any way?

Mr Bo Jangles
17-09-2017, 05:14 PM
No one thing. So many individual things including:

Letting Ben Garner go
Going into last
Panic buying in January

Add that to the apparent lack of clarity around the role of the Americans, plans for the ground and plans for the academy and it all begins to snowball.
Add to that overpaying for players, disharmony caused by wage differential, total lack of scouting network, buying wrong type of players for our club (we need battlers, players who appreciate the club and have a connection with the fans). The list is endless and so much could and should have been avoided with better planning and infrastructure.

hatter8142
17-09-2017, 06:28 PM
I just genuinely don't see how the Americans are to blame here.

They have allowed Parish to run the club.

Exactly

hatter8142
17-09-2017, 06:33 PM
[QUOTE=EagleSE24;13850400]No one thing. So many individual things including:

Letting Ben Garner go
Going into last
Panic buying in January

Add that to the apparent lack of clarity around the role of the Americans, plans for the ground and plans for the academy and it all begins to snowball.[/QUOT

Very good call mate Spot on in my opinion.

eagleincroydon
17-09-2017, 06:33 PM
keeping mutch and lee

sheepy
17-09-2017, 06:45 PM
Not strengthening the attack in the January transfer window under Pardew during the FA Cup season was probably the momentum killer.

Though I'd argue not sorting out the scouting over Pardew's first summer was probably even more fatal and contributed massively to it.

Yoda
17-09-2017, 06:51 PM

That occurred to me during yesterday's match....I think we should try an exorcism, or does sacrificing Frank count?

Stellavista
17-09-2017, 06:52 PM

Romark, surely?

https://chudbeagleblog.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/relax.jpg?w=500&h=509

eagleincroydon
17-09-2017, 06:56 PM
when americans arrived , things gone wrong, i dont know why throu

HRP
17-09-2017, 06:56 PM
The media team using these :
Enjoy the game
Fortress Selhurst
And this season as Benteke scored 17 goals last season the same as his shirt number , suggested he change it to a higher number .

Sleeping Giant
17-09-2017, 07:12 PM
Tbh I think it all started after Ray Bloye sold the Whitehorse to Sainsburies. We've been fcked ever since in one way or another.

Yeah, younger ones may not be so aware but there was something about Palace getting 40000+ for games even in relegation seasons. It was easy to believe we could become huge.

JDawg
17-09-2017, 08:49 PM
When the burger van beside the Holmesdale was changed

Hong Kong Eagle
17-09-2017, 11:26 PM

Yes, Sako and Adebayor were IMO bad choices, se got good money for Bolasie but you would think with him and Zaha on the wings Benteke would be scoring plenty

Scarface
18-09-2017, 06:35 AM
moving the away fans

eagleincroydon
18-09-2017, 07:23 AM
trouble with managers in premire league , theey think twice about coming to palace and dont like stay too long, when got in the premire league has its own , crazy world

simplex
18-09-2017, 07:39 AM
Re-instate the Crystals

tsunamiman
18-09-2017, 08:29 AM
When the youth team got moved to goals.

Yoda
18-09-2017, 02:52 PM
I think it's the constantly changing managers.

They've gone for different reasons, but generally the Prem pressure means Parish has either axed them, or they were never going to stay long for their own reasons.

This means there hasn't been long-term commitment to developing youth, or even taking a punt on an up and coming young guy from down the leagues who might develop.

It's been about quick fixes who have to be Premiership-ready. That's a v expensive way forward, probably unsustainable for a club our size. We can afford to buy some each year, but we need to find cheaper gems too, or bring through our own. When did we last do either of those last two options?

And the additional problem of buying in nearly all your players is that some are a bit more mercenary, and less likely to fight for the cause when the going gets tough. Deep down, they know they're not going down into the Championship, whatever happens to the club.

jockstapp
18-09-2017, 07:14 PM
When you do get a good manager like Sam or Pulis they don't hang around for a second longer than they have to until they get their bonus.Indeed Pulis was so keen to get away he left 2 weeks early and ended up having to repay it.
I wonder why this is

KP'S Nuts
18-09-2017, 07:23 PM
Selling Bolasie we lost our plan ABCDEF we are left with Plan put Dann upfront

CPFC Since 68
18-09-2017, 07:24 PM
When my mum knitted me a Claret and Blue bobble hat and within a week the clolours changed to Red and Blue.

Maidstoned Eagle
18-09-2017, 07:49 PM
When Noades didn't fork out a bit extra for Shearer, do more to keep Wright, going down when four were relegated, not investing when we finished 3rd, not using Ventola more, Ray Lewington getting septiscemia, not being able to defend for more than several minutes in a cup final........take your pick

3 Beers at HT
18-09-2017, 08:11 PM
When the club broke the £10m mark in buying Cabaye.

Paying that kind of money for a player was not par for the course and, to me, signalled that Palace were happy to join in with the vulgarity of the money awash in the top flight.

SOUTHGATE EAGLE
18-09-2017, 08:21 PM
When we realized that our counter-attacking style of play was being nullified by teams who realized all they had to do was sit back and wait for us to lose the ball or punt it hopefully into the box. Instead of doing the intelligent thing ( admittedly against out culture ) and buying players able to pass through defenses, we bought Benteke and tried playing possession football with a midfield that contained Jason Puncheon. After a year of losing and not making the above, necessary changes, BFS came in and tucked in Wilf and Andros in around Benteke, creating a three-man unit able to make fast, close range, one-two passes that pierced defenses well enough for us to make attacking through the middle viable even if the midfield had nothing to do with it. All we needed was to buy an AM able to add a midfield creative component to the solidity Luka and Sahko brought in plus a reserve ST and a decent Keeper and we were bomb proof. Instead, we went an even greater apparent step towards playing genuinely creative and possession based football by bringing in FdB only to bottle it on the eve of seeing some results.

Basically it all comes down to never committing fully to bringing in the technically gifted players required to play through the middle and being content to stand or fall on the performances of our wingers. There are several other elements involved in our malaise but this is the patently obvious one, especially when you ask how many goals we scored and games we won without Wilf across last season and this. But shit, regressive football is our identity.

The Drive Man
18-09-2017, 08:22 PM
After the FA cup final- we should have moved at least 8 players on and freshened things up.
We're now unable to get rid of the dead wood - as they are happy sitting in the U23 and picking up 30k a week , running down their contracts and will end up going for free!

The lack of planning for this seasons squad has been very poorly handled- not to have secured a striker and goalkeeper is cimininal!

The Drive Man
18-09-2017, 08:22 PM
After the FA cup final- we should have moved at least 8 players on and freshened things up.
We're now unable to get rid of the dead wood - as they are happy sitting in the U23 and picking up 30k a week , running down their contracts and will end up going for free!

The lack of planning for this seasons squad has been very poorly handled- not to have secured a striker and goalkeeper is cimininal!

The Drive Man
18-09-2017, 08:25 PM
On the plus side I can't see Roy allowing that to happen. His experience and clarity of thought might be just we need.

GorBlimey
18-09-2017, 09:33 PM
Indeed Pulis was so keen to get away he left 2 weeks early and ended up having to repay it.
I wonder why this is

Because he is a greedy, duplicitous c*nt who thought he could f*ck us over.

cooperman
18-09-2017, 10:02 PM
it all started to go pete tong when tommy trinder paid johnny haines £100 a week...

New LP
18-09-2017, 10:58 PM
Because he is a greedy, duplicitous c*nt who thought he could f*ck us over.

Yes of course, it was all his fault. Parish played no part in it at all. Pulis just lives to screw people over and has no record of managing football clubs or forging relationships with owners at other clubs successfully.

Write it again and again everyday and it will become true.

Even though you have no more knowledge of what really happened in a complex breakdown of relations between chairman and manager at that time than any of us do.

You are an utterly deluded apologist.

WLYWLYAWYPWF
18-09-2017, 11:04 PM
Pardew appointment.

GorBlimey
18-09-2017, 11:34 PM
Yes of course, it was all his fault. Parish played no part in it at all. Pulis just lives to screw people over and has no record of managing football clubs or forging relationships with owners at other clubs successfully.

Even though you have no more knowledge of what really happened in a complex breakdown of relations between chairman and manager at that time than any of us do.

Pot and kettle.

Its a matter of legal record that Pulis f*cked us over and for his greed and deceit he has paid a heavy financial penalty for so doing.

Why you would want to defend the c*nt's wrongdoings only you can answer.

New LP
18-09-2017, 11:58 PM
Pot and kettle.

Its a matter of legal record that Pulis f*cked us over and for his greed and deceit he has paid a heavy financial penalty for so doing.

Why you would want to defend the c*nt's wrongdoings only you can answer.

It's a fact that Pulis misbehaved over the bonus and that was established in a court of law. I don't particularly defend that. He's paid a price for that both financially and also in terms of his reputation.

However, we are talking about a clear breakdown in relations between them and the fact is none of us really know what happened. Your constant childish need to portray Pulis as 100% malicious villain and Parish as 100% innocent victim, and focus merely on the issue of the bonus is tiresome. As is your more general agenda on here.

Pulis was great for CPFC, he's a tough character and clearly he his faults. But for me the failure to work with him, instead going down the road we did is now costing us. Pulis will have expected higher standards in terms of the way a football club is run and there not being constant interference in the job he does. It says it all that Allardyce couldn't wait to leave either. Although no doubt he's a wanker who wished to screw us over in your view also I expect.

GorBlimey
19-09-2017, 12:24 AM
It says it all that Allardyce couldn't wait to leave either. Although no doubt he's a wanker who wished to screw us over in your view also I expect.

BFS recognised that he'd had a lot of luck in keeping us up and didn't want to sully his reputation by fulfilling his contract so he pissed off under the "I want to spend more time with my family" excuse.

If he takes another senior football job in the next couple of years I think we'll be seeing him in court too.

I can't figure out why you defend these people yet attack the person who has the club's best interests at heart.

Sort out your loyalties.

laths
19-09-2017, 12:51 AM
Getting rid of the Palace Dollies and their white knee length plastic boots.

IanH
19-09-2017, 05:49 AM
For me it went wrong with the injuries we picked up in the 2-1 win at Stoke. I remember seeing the team for the Bournemouth game on Boxing Day and thinking that we could go a long time without another win (Campbell up front with Mutch playing off him). Clearly we didn't have any decent back up players to the first eleven at that time (which was an error of the management), but what amazed me is how little business we did in that January window having just got new investors on board. Just Adebayor coming in. And we went something like 20 League games without a win. The players have never recovered from that mentally.

jimmy the gent
19-09-2017, 05:51 AM
When my mum knitted me a Claret and Blue bobble hat and within a week the clolours changed to Red and Blue.

Collateral damage.

Flappy Chicken
19-09-2017, 05:52 AM
And we went something like 20 League games without a win. The players have never recovered from that mentally.

Deja Vous? :wallbash:

jimmy the gent
19-09-2017, 05:58 AM
Pardew appointment.

That's a bit harsh. As of December 2014, who else would you have realistically appointed (without the use of hindsight), or would you rather we had persevered with Neil Warnock?

Pardew should have been sacked after the FA Cup Final. If we'd done so we'd have been in a very strong position to attract a better candidate, give them the substantial funding that we had then, and likely had a good chance of keeping Bolasie. A new, ruthless manager, if given the remit (fat chance with parish and his favourites, but hey) could have trimmed a lot of the players that were beginning to approach what should have been the end of their Palace careers - Puncheon, Delaney, Ward, Hennessey etc.

Raggy
19-09-2017, 06:09 AM
It all started to unravel when there was a scrap between the HF and stewards about a banner blocking a sky TV camera.

That sense of us being a club that was different from the rest the premier greed took a big hit that day.

charltonhater
19-09-2017, 06:10 AM
Leicester winning the Premier League.

JackTheBiscuit
19-09-2017, 07:53 AM
When Parish (not the fans as he is now implying with his Charlton comments) started getting ideas above his station and telling us all we should have ambitions beyond mere survival each year after only two years in the top league.

Eric the Ginga
19-09-2017, 07:59 AM
The advent of social media

fang
19-09-2017, 08:37 AM
The Corn Laws.

gilesy14
19-09-2017, 08:54 AM
BFS recognised that he'd had a lot of luck in keeping us up and didn't want to sully his reputation by fulfilling his contract so he pissed off under the "I want to spend more time with my family" excuse.

If he takes another senior football job in the next couple of years I think we'll be seeing him in court too.

I can't figure out why you defend these people yet attack the person who has the club's best interests at heart.

Sort out your loyalties.

You're a prat.

meee
19-09-2017, 09:02 AM

Your top paragraph is practically what the judge said.It has been proved in court that Pulis was being deceitful and had no intention of doing anything other than leaving before the start of the season.Why you feel the need to question the facts is beyond me.

Pardew appointment.

We would have been relegated 2 years ago if it wasn't for Pardew.Instead we achieved our highest finish since promotion.What happened after those 12 months and who to blame is an entirely different debate,but if you think the initial impact of Allardyce was great(I don't know if you do)then Pardew must be seen as a god.:D

foresthillbilly
19-09-2017, 09:04 AM
When Eddie Izzard got a seat for the Cup Final. It was obvious there was no way he'd have enough Loyalty Points for a seat, as he was off doing those little jogs around the world that season.

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2016/mar/20/eddie-izzard-tired-yet-triumphant-after-running-27-marathons-in-27-days

That was corruption exposed on a massive scale.

westsussexcpfc
19-09-2017, 09:18 AM
Americans and football never works, they have no idea. When they offered us the money to invest in the club we should have told them thanks but no thanks.

mystery_man
19-09-2017, 09:25 AM
I've not read the entirety of the thread so apologies for any repitition but for me the main thing that is common across all managers and therefore is the responsibility of the club hierachy is the lack of creating squad depth.
It has been said that we rely on probably 4 or so players that when any one or two are unavailable we struggle.
Ignoring any monetary constraints which I know is not fair we should have done things like kept Gayle AND bought his replacement in. Unlikely but also to have kept Bolasie AND brought in Andros.
I'm ignoring factors like wage bill and having quality players unable to always start and therefore being unhappy. but we need to buy at the highest level and let go of the ones at the very lowest.
In it's most basic form ignoring positions list the players from best to worst (based on whatever factors) and add to that list towards the top and release from the bottom up.

I'm stating this like it is easy and I know it is not but it should be a long term vision and plan.

KP'S Nuts
19-09-2017, 09:39 AM
I've not read the entirety of the thread so apologies for any repitition but for me the main thing that is common across all managers and therefore is the responsibility of the club hierachy is the lack of creating squad depth.
It has been said that we rely on probably 4 or so players that when any one or two are unavailable we struggle.
Ignoring any monetary constraints which I know is not fair we should have done things like kept Gayle AND bought his replacement in. Unlikely but also to have kept Bolasie AND brought in Andros.
I'm ignoring factors like wage bill and having quality players unable to always start and therefore being unhappy. but we need to buy at the highest level and let go of the ones at the very lowest.
In it's most basic form ignoring positions list the players from best to worst (based on whatever factors) and add to that list towards the top and release from the bottom up.

I'm stating this like it is easy and I know it is not but it should be a long term vision and plan.

Your right you have to have a volume of players at the level who can play the system you want to play and we have not had that. Mainly as we cant afford it but also partly i think as our scouting system is a mess.

old geezer
19-09-2017, 09:52 AM
When the players went to the board rather than the manager to have a whinge. The players seem to love going crying to the board.

That nasty man plays better than us in training and it's not fair. Sack him. Precious idiots.

Parrish is the problem
You do not allow players to reach through the management line and you do not allow them to identify and sign players if that happens
Is this what Pulis disliked so much and maybe why Sam left as well

sheepy
19-09-2017, 09:52 AM
For me it went wrong with the injuries we picked up in the 2-1 win at Stoke. I remember seeing the team for the Bournemouth game on Boxing Day and thinking that we could go a long time without another win (Campbell up front with Mutch playing off him). Clearly we didn't have any decent back up players to the first eleven at that time (which was an error of the management), but what amazed me is how little business we did in that January window having just got new investors on board. Just Adebayor coming in. And we went something like 20 League games without a win. The players have never recovered from that mentally.

Yup, that was the point where we should have been trying to sign a top young striker for the following season.

Probably could have picked up Batshuai at that point for £20 million which would have offered much better long term value and given us impetus for the rest of the season.

GJN
19-09-2017, 10:24 AM
When we sold Bolasie.

Old Joe Paxton
19-09-2017, 10:26 AM
When we sold Bolasie.

Great fun and player that he was, there were problems before that

Oikboy
19-09-2017, 10:33 AM
For me, it was following one of those secret shopper things that they did which told the club our staff were miserable and didn't engage with the fans. As a result, all match day interactions with the staff were concluded with "enjoy the game".

I don't think I've enjoyed a game since.

FourtyTwo
19-09-2017, 10:37 AM
Stoke away, or rather the games immediately following that was the point where it became clear that Pardew had no credible plan B.

Losing Bolasie lost us the ability to spread teams across the pitch with width on both flanks, and pace to move the ball upfield. Plan B appeared to be the same as plan A, but only down one wing with Zaha, which people immediately cottoned on to and were able to comfortably contain. After too long, he realised this wasn't working any more, and tried to change style, but that was at a point where (a) the players had lost confidence and (b) the new style also didn't fit the players we had.

Bolasie, when fit, was then almost shoe-horned into the new style (which he also didn't fit) and results continued to suffer in the league - rather than Pardew reverting to the style which had worked previously when both Zaha and Bolasie were fit.

During that "boom period" of Pardew's first year, the key things that you seemingly heard every week were that we had won because the opposition hadn't played well - and that to me was the key to our success. We played in such a way that the opposition always seemed to struggle - rather than us playing well ourselves, we were based on a foundation of making the opposition play badly, and then (almost Pulis-esque) breaking with pace and taking advantage. To me, the loss of Bolasie and lack of adequate cover meant that the style no longer worked, and it took Pardew too long to realise that. And I never think he actually found a solution.

Someone on another thread said hi Newcastle "success" was based on defending deep, and relying on "individual brilliance" to get wins. Whilst I wouldn't necessarily say our successes were based on one individual, it did seem that it was down to a style of play that was only sustainable with the right personnel.

Anyway, whilst the matches following Stoke probably highlighted that Pardew wasn't necessarily the man to take us forward, for me it was the Cup Final where we should have called time on his tenure (or straight after). Keeping him on at that point meant we were not able to build in the right way the summer before last, which in turn may have seen a different out-turn last season, and also not seen the upheaval we have had this year as well.

elgin eagle
19-09-2017, 10:40 AM

You are right though. People mainly go to football to be entertained (not in our case obviously but generally). Our squad seems to be becoming slower and more workmanlike with each passing window. You can only get so excited by central defenders and loanees.

EryrExile
19-09-2017, 10:44 AM
Your top paragraph is practically what the judge said.It has been proved in court that Pulis was being deceitful and had no intention of doing anything other than leaving before the start of the season.Why you feel the need to question the facts is beyond me.

But New LP (or anybody else who takes a similar kind of position) doesn't deny that Pulis was being deceitful and had no intention of doing anything other than leaving before the start of the season. Nobody's question the facts.

The question is why Pulis did not intend to do anything other than leave before the start of the season. Some people say it's because Pulis is a c*nt. Others say it's because Parish is a c*nt. Others say they're both c*nts, or neither are c*nts.

Maybe Pulis got mugged in Norwood and decided London was too dangerous for him. Maybe Parish took a sh*t in Pulis's baseball cap at the end-of-season party. Maybe Jedinak f*cked Mrs Pulis.

In any case, the end result is the same: Pulis decides to go, and deceitfully takes his bonus from the club early without any intention of continuing his employment, in a way the judge decided wasn't kosher. Okay, so there we get to the facts. But before that, it's all rumour and speculation, and taking this or that guess as to why Pulis made the decision doesn't mean you're questioning the fact that Pulis made the decision.

I get the feeling I wouldn't agree with New LP on this issue, but at the same time, I'm not going to say that everything was fine and dandy with him here and then out of the blue he left because he's a c*nt. Even if it's a perfectly innocent reason, like the fact that at that point our infrastructure and financial clout didn't match his immediate career ambitions, there was a reason for him to want to leave.

Perhaps we still have the same problem, and it's making attracting and retaining the necessary calibre of manager more difficult than it needs to be?

Selhurst Celtic
19-09-2017, 10:47 AM
For me, it was following one of those secret shopper things that they did which told the club our staff were miserable and didn't engage with the fans. As a result, all match day interactions with the staff were concluded with "enjoy the game".

I don't think I've enjoyed a game since.

That "enjoy the game" horseshite is no doubt a HR box tickers notion. It's akin to master pockface no-stars behind the jump in MuckDonalds asking you if you want a large meal when you've just asked for a meal.

APalaceFan
19-09-2017, 07:46 PM
Dropping Jules Just this as tonight will show

Se9 eagles
19-09-2017, 08:07 PM
Papa's car crash.Without a left sided replacement Pardew then destroyed the defence's confidence by playing people out of position.Then when he was sacked BFS panicked and blew £25m of the transfer budget on two very,very average players in PVA and Schlupp.This left us short of money to buy a decent goalkeeper and striker.So bad luck and poor management......

Cpfcbob
21-09-2017, 04:58 AM
Look how most of these you don't know
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/09/20/19/4486A12100000578-0-image-a-7_1505932841914.jpg

Parish loves limelight too much and that IMO is where its all spiraled out of control

Far East Eagle
21-09-2017, 06:01 AM
It all started to go wrong when we sold Bolasie. People like to say he was off regardless but if we had paid him the going rate for his talent and based on who were interested in him (Everton, Spurs etc.) then he would have stayed.

Having him and Zaha on the wings gave us so many options. Teams can double up to stop Zaha now but they couldn't expend 4 players to take out the pair of them and if they did then we could have been in through the middle.

He also offered something very different to Townsend, Pardew used to say that even he didn't know what he was going to do. With Townsend everyone knows.

Interestingly after the game Pardew was saying that loosing Bolasie was a massive knock everyone loved having him around and he was so dangerous on the pitch. Sounds like Parish sold him rather than Pardew wanting him to go.

Ardent Eagle Forever
21-09-2017, 06:12 AM
It all started to go wrong when we got promoted. The premiershite is only the promised land if your club is one of the top six to eight richest clubs in the league. For the rest it's just a struggle as it always has been. Until this season we've never spent more than four seasons in the top flight and have struggled in practically every season we've been here. At best we're a mediocre top flight team. Unless someone like abramovich buys the club.

EryrExile
21-09-2017, 06:13 AM
Look how most of these you don't know
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/09/20/19/4486A12100000578-0-image-a-7_1505932841914.jpg

Parish loves limelight too much and that IMO is where its all spiraled out of control

Is this a picture of our board of directors or something? I'm just guessing because P Puffy Diddy Daddy Puff is there.

New LP
21-09-2017, 06:13 AM
But New LP (or anybody else who takes a similar kind of position) doesn't deny that Pulis was being deceitful and had no intention of doing anything other than leaving before the start of the season. Nobody's question the facts.

The question is why Pulis did not intend to do anything other than leave before the start of the season. Some people say it's because Pulis is a c*nt. Others say it's because Parish is a c*nt. Others say they're both c*nts, or neither are c*nts.

Maybe Pulis got mugged in Norwood and decided London was too dangerous for him. Maybe Parish took a sh*t in Pulis's baseball cap at the end-of-season party. Maybe Jedinak f*cked Mrs Pulis.

In any case, the end result is the same: Pulis decides to go, and deceitfully takes his bonus from the club early without any intention of continuing his employment, in a way the judge decided wasn't kosher. Okay, so there we get to the facts. But before that, it's all rumour and speculation, and taking this or that guess as to why Pulis made the decision doesn't mean you're questioning the fact that Pulis made the decision.

I get the feeling I wouldn't agree with New LP on this issue, but at the same time, I'm not going to say that everything was fine and dandy with him here and then out of the blue he left because he's a c*nt. Even if it's a perfectly innocent reason, like the fact that at that point our infrastructure and financial clout didn't match his immediate career ambitions, there was a reason for him to want to leave.

Perhaps we still have the same problem, and it's making attracting and retaining the necessary calibre of manager more difficult than it needs to be?

Great to see someone understand what I am saying.

I'm not excusing Pulis' behaviour with the bonus. It was shabby and a civil court of law agreed and he was punished for it. As you say, I'm not denying that this happened or the facts surrounding it.

However, what I am pointing out is that this was an action which Pulis took when the relationship between him and SP/the owners had clearly irreversibly broken down. What we don't know is why that happened. There was clearly ill feeling. However, Pulis can work successfully with owners at football clubs of a similar size. Why did that not happen at Palace? Pulis wants control of the football side of things and for plans he has to be supported both in terms of the team and the infrastructure and facilities. I wonder if that's what was behind this. I also question why BFS felt the need to 'retire' when he did yet now seems keen to get back into management elsewhere next year? Calling them c***s and scumbags etc is fine. It's easy to just paint them as the villains (this will happen with BFS if he takes another club job) Of course the bonus thing and the England thing allow people to do this with both of them. But football is a complex business and if we are being honest we've had 2 good football managers walk away and questions can be asked as to why.

foresthillbilly
21-09-2017, 06:23 AM

^^ this is a very fine post Sir ^^
The last sentence sums it up pretty well. There is something wrong if we can't attract (and more importantly RETAIN) a high calibre Manager.
Then again, having every season as a white-knuckle ride to (near) the bottom of the league has a certain amount of thrill value :D

Golf Boy
21-09-2017, 06:23 AM

So what do people think?

Irony being that Bolasie injured himself celebrating that goal.

Golf Boy
21-09-2017, 06:28 AM
We insisted on Zaha, and Pulis would never sign a player like Zaha. That's my opinion on why he went.

thereichstuff
21-09-2017, 06:30 AM
Irony being that Bolasie injured himself celebrating that goal.

Good point :)

Neckinger Eagle
21-09-2017, 06:30 AM
When Bert Head was replaced by Big Mal.

foresthillbilly
21-09-2017, 07:09 AM
Not wishing to over-egg the Pulis thing, but I think the discrepancy over transfers was something to do with his son being a football agent.
However, it wasn't just Pulis. Others have walked and continue to do so

foresthillbilly
21-09-2017, 07:13 AM
Is this a picture of our board of directors or something? I'm just guessing because P Puffy Diddy Daddy Puff is there.

More intriguing than those in the picture,...is those that aren't.

There are quite a few Arabs who dwarf the combined monies of those shown.

and the fact so few have so much, shows how fcked-up we have made this world

and that is where it all started to go wrong for Palace,.. :D

adman50
21-09-2017, 08:06 AM
Loaning out Murray to be replaced by Kevin Doyle.

Owngoal
21-09-2017, 08:33 AM
Nothing is wrong. This is the Palace I have supported all my life. It's just that with the internet and the BBS we have lots of moaning bitches on here rather than just on match days and in the letters section of the Croydon Advertiser. We should never have let Alan Whittle go..............

Windsor_Eagle
21-09-2017, 08:53 AM
We insisted on Zaha, and Pulis would never sign a player like Zaha. That's my opinion on why he went.

If that is the reason, then for lots and lots of reasons Zaha > Tony Pulis.

If you disagree, then I fear for your soul.

smileysmith
21-09-2017, 09:22 AM
Nothing is wrong. This is the Palace I have supported all my life. It's just that with the internet and the BBS we have lots of moaning bitches on here rather than just on match days and in the letters section of the Croydon Advertiser. We should never have let Alan Whittle go..............
Yup.

Sceagle
21-09-2017, 09:27 AM

All of the teams the American's own are bad too. They all do poorly.

New LP
21-09-2017, 10:42 AM

Ah yes the good old 'Palace rollercoaster' point that crops up on here too frequently.

Like failure and the club not realising its potential yet again is actually part of its charm and something to celebrate?

tomlig
21-09-2017, 10:54 AM
All started going wrong when people started shouting Steeeeeeeeve

New LP
21-09-2017, 10:55 AM

It's a really interesting point.

On one level of course we all are grateful that Zaha came back. Initially on loan at the time Pulis walked and then permanently. It's worked a treat as it goes.

But the fact is that he was Parish's signing. Parish wanted to bring him home etc. Yet Pulis was manager and clearly wanted to make the decisions when it came to player recruitment. He didn't receive much backing that summer and was then told Wilf would be joining. I can't imagine he was happy about that. It doesn't matter that in that one instance we got a great player, we lost a great manager. I felt the same this summer when Damo signed a new deal and then BFS walked a few days later. The moment a good manager is no longer able to manage you will lose them.

aj4england
21-09-2017, 11:03 AM
All about strikers for me. Even the worst manager can get by if you have a decent set of forwards.

Selling Murray. Not replacing him. Wickham got injured. Left with Benteke and Campbell. Campbell went. Left with Benteke....

Kirby
21-09-2017, 11:04 AM
All of the teams the American's own are bad too. They all do poorly.

I did find it weird that we took on two investors with such an atrocious record in sport.

May just be a coincidence, but their overall CV in the industry doesn't read well.

philsick
21-09-2017, 11:18 AM
Its the US moneymen no doubt. Many of us called it at the time.

eagle-leg
21-09-2017, 11:59 AM
Everybody pointing the fingers at the Americans, would you mind me asking what it is that you think they have done that has resulted in our results on the pitch worsening?

Dom the Eagle
21-09-2017, 12:43 PM

On one level of course we all are grateful that Zaha came back. Initially on loan at the time Pulis walked and then permanently. It's worked a treat as it goes.

But the fact is that he was Parish's signing. Parish wanted to bring him home etc. Yet Pulis was manager and clearly wanted to make the decisions when it came to player recruitment. He didn't receive much backing that summer and was then told Wilf would be joining. I can't imagine he was happy about that. It doesn't matter that in that one instance we got a great player, we lost a great manager. I felt the same this summer when Damo signed a new deal and then BFS walked a few days later. The moment a good manager is no longer able to manage you will lose them.

I'm pretty sure Damo's new deal was triggered by his appearances last season.

Windsor_Eagle
21-09-2017, 12:50 PM
Re: Americab teams doing poorly. I was under the impression that this was due to the nature of no relegations in those respective leagues and the tactic was very much to 'tank'. You can't extrapolate those teams performances with our own, though it is intersting to note the similarity.

IpswichEagle
21-09-2017, 12:52 PM
Bolasie going for me.

The set-up where Bolasie and Zaha would interchange and terrorise defences meant that quite often, we got something out of nothing. Mavericks will do that and average (or below average depending on your preference) teams need them to snap up a few points where the game has otherwise gone against you. I always think you need a very solid keeper, a couple of flair players and a physically imposing striker and you will probably be ok.

We've tried to move on to running, while skipping the walking stage from crawling. We need to evolve, but Jesus has it been handled really badly.

All the focus is on Wilf now who singlehandedly tries to win us games, but oppositions know this and treble up on him. At least with Bolasie's pace and trickery, he had to be marked by two as well, or at the least they would keep their full back in their own half.

On a personal level i really enjoyed the football as well. I've never actually been much of a technical purist who enjoys watching Barcelona string 477 passes together in a half. I much prefer dynamism and spirit and flair.

I miss the days when we he would transfer the ball from our area to theirs in about 9.8 seconds.

Windsor_Eagle
21-09-2017, 12:54 PM

Yet several reports at the time suggested that TP failed to produce a list of transfer targets when pressed on the issue by Parish. Cynics might conclude that he was pushing for the sack (given he didn't want to be in the job) and the tidy payout that he'd be due.

New LP
21-09-2017, 01:20 PM
Yet several reports at the time suggested that TP failed to produce a list of transfer targets when pressed on the issue by Parish. Cynics might conclude that he was pushing for the sack (given he didn't want to be in the job) and the tidy payout that he'd be due.

Ah yes, those rumours saying that the manager didn't want to sign anyone to strengthen the team. Parish was itching to give him millions to spend and he said no I don't want to do that! Funny because all I ever heard him talk about at Palace and now at WBA was/is the need to strengthen.

We've been having similar rumours about FDB recently not wanting to sign players. Amazing how the manager never wants to sign players after we've had a lean transfer window and he then departs isn't it?

But keep believing those rumours.

Owngoal
21-09-2017, 01:32 PM
Ah yes the good old 'Palace rollercoaster' point that crops up on here too frequently.

Like failure and the club not realising its potential yet again is actually part of its charm and something to celebrate?

We came third once under Steve which was one hell of an achievement, but being Palace English clubs banned from Europe. Hopefully we will get a decent manager one day of the right age who will get us in the top 6 - 8 clubs consistently. We are not far off it.

wrightchipvcfc
21-09-2017, 01:56 PM
Over the years we have shot our self in the foot a good few times but I honestly believe we are a unlucky club owners that have not always done what's best for club money troubles managers come and go to frequently but law of averages a club who has been a decent level for good few years in last 50 years would have had there day in the sun win a major trophy. Just like teams like Wimbledon Coventry Luton Swansea Oxford Sunderland Birmingham boro Norwich Swindon wigan and Portsmouth did not massive clubs but in there windows of opportunity it went there way .

regal_eagle
21-09-2017, 03:04 PM
This was the very moment.

http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/onesport/cps/800/cpsprodpb/10108/production/_87300856_palace.jpg

theCoach
21-09-2017, 03:23 PM
simples......'it went wrong' during june and july and august 2016 when we didn't recruit a hard nosed member to the coaching staff that would have challenged,would have been respected and listened to of when and where to play an 'expansive' style of football rather than pards being allowed to surround himself with sycophants and the players simply not being fit enough.
even the best of players need a b******ing and kick up the harris from time to time. This set of players frustrate the hell out of me. They really could do something good for our club if they applied themselves to their ability.

ElwissAtMemphis
21-09-2017, 03:39 PM
This was the very moment.

http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/onesport/cps/800/cpsprodpb/10108/production/_87300856_palace.jpg

More likely this ...

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/lee-chungyoung-of-crystal-palace-and-christian-benteke-of-crystal-picture-id845244272?s=612x612

regal_eagle
21-09-2017, 03:42 PM
More likely this ...

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/lee-chungyoung-of-crystal-palace-and-christian-benteke-of-crystal-picture-id845244272?s=612x612

No, hopefully that's when the unravelling ended. Hopefully.

Windsor_Eagle
21-09-2017, 03:44 PM
Ah yes, those rumours saying that the manager didn't want to sign anyone to strengthen the team. Parish was itching to give him millions to spend and he said no I don't want to do that! Funny because all I ever heard him talk about at Palace and now at WBA was/is the need to strengthen.

We've been having similar rumours about FDB recently not wanting to sign players. Amazing how the manager never wants to sign players after we've had a lean transfer window and he then departs isn't it?

But keep believing those rumours.

We've got one poster on here who knows for a fact that FdB vetoed one possible player suggestion and other press reports that amongst other things, Parish and FdB fell out over his reluctance and hesitation to move in the transfer market. Indeed, the sudden on-boarding of Dougie and the late scramble in the window suggests to me that far from Parish trying to save a few quid, he perhaps was growing increasingly frustrated with FdB and the gaps that remained in our squad.

The other, Pulis, is a proven liar and spent most of that summer in Brazil. So I don't think it at all unlikely that he was reluctant to generate a proper list of targets because he had precisely zero intention of managing us that season.

Holloway, Sam, Pardew and even Warnock were backed by Parish - so this notion that he refused to back managers is a nonsense.

New LP
22-09-2017, 05:34 AM
We've got one poster on here who knows for a fact that FdB vetoed one possible player suggestion and other press reports that amongst other things, Parish and FdB fell out over his reluctance and hesitation to move in the transfer market. Indeed, the sudden on-boarding of Dougie and the late scramble in the window suggests to me that far from Parish trying to save a few quid, he perhaps was growing increasingly frustrated with FdB and the gaps that remained in our squad.

The other, Pulis, is a proven liar and spent most of that summer in Brazil. So I don't think it at all unlikely that he was reluctant to generate a proper list of targets because he had precisely zero intention of managing us that season.

Holloway, Sam, Pardew and even Warnock were backed by Parish - so this notion that he refused to back managers is a nonsense.

FDB vetoing one player suggestion proves nothing. Maybe he didn't like the player in question. We don't know who that player was so it's hard to really judge beyond that. Also I'm still wary of ITK rumours on here or Twitter or 'press rumours' that appeared after his sacking. Clearly though no one can really say he was backed in his time at the club. But to seriously suggest that he didn't want to sign players doesn't stand up. It's very convenient that at a time when SP has received a lot of stick for sacking FDB after 4 games and not backing him, suddenly there are rumours, stuff in the press etc blaming all this onFDB. He mentioned 'spending money' in his first press conference, but this never happened beyond the kid from Ajax. Does the manager actually do the deals anyway, surely we have Tim Coe and others who do this? FDB has been blamed here and you are buying into it as ever because you like and support Steve Parish.

I actually think there's some truth that the relationship between Pulis and Parish had broken down irretrievably by that summer. Neither wanted to work with each other and the main issue was contractual, i.e. regarding Pulis' payoff. Clearly Pulis was unhappy for a number of reasons and I would suggest that player recruitment and interference in his job may have been those reasons. Of course Parish could have sacked Pulis, brought in another coach and given him all this money he was desperate to spend on new players, the day after the previous season. But instead the whole thing was allowed to drag on until days before the following season.

bubbs11
22-09-2017, 05:53 AM

Just backing up your Pulis assertion: Speroni was on Sky a few weeks after Pulis walked and was asked if Pulis leaving shocked him. He said 'no', but what did surprise him was he never left as soon as the previous season ended.

Pulis had no intention of hanging around and playing Murray centre back in one of the friendlies said it all.

Purepalace
22-09-2017, 08:59 AM

Great player. His nephew plays for Everton now.

Dom the Eagle
22-09-2017, 09:06 AM
simples......'it went wrong' during june and july and august 2016 when we didn't recruit a hard nosed member to the coaching staff that would have challenged,would have been respected and listened to of when and where to play an 'expansive' style of football rather than pards being allowed to surround himself with sycophants and the players simply not being fit enough.
even the best of players need a b******ing and kick up the harris from time to time. This set of players frustrate the hell out of me. They really could do something good for our club if they applied themselves to their ability.

Kevin Keen was ostensibly brought in to fill this remit.

Windsor_Eagle
22-09-2017, 09:12 AM
FDB vetoing one player suggestion proves nothing. Maybe he didn't like the player in question. We don't know who that player was so it's hard to really judge beyond that. Also I'm still wary of ITK rumours on here or Twitter or 'press rumours' that appeared after his sacking. Clearly though no one can really say he was backed in his time at the club. But to seriously suggest that he didn't want to sign players doesn't stand up. It's very convenient that at a time when SP has received a lot of stick for sacking FDB after 4 games and not backing him, suddenly there are rumours, stuff in the press etc blaming all this onFDB. He mentioned 'spending money' in his first press conference, but this never happened beyond the kid from Ajax. Does the manager actually do the deals anyway, surely we have Tim Coe and others who do this? FDB has been blamed here and you are buying into it as ever because you like and support Steve Parish.

I actually think there's some truth that the relationship between Pulis and Parish had broken down irretrievably by that summer. Neither wanted to work with each other and the main issue was contractual, i.e. regarding Pulis' payoff. Clearly Pulis was unhappy for a number of reasons and I would suggest that player recruitment and interference in his job may have been those reasons. Of course Parish could have sacked Pulis, brought in another coach and given him all this money he was desperate to spend on new players, the day after the previous season. But instead the whole thing was allowed to drag on until days before the following season.

Read back through my posts, I raised the suggestion that FdB might have been the reason for limited transfer activity right up to deadline day mad rush. This was before he was sacked. This was before any press reports. He made 2 or 3 references in his pre-match press conferences (when asked about transfers) that if a good deal becomes available that we would go for it BUT that if no more players came in then he is happy with the squad. Suddenly, with a few days left Dougie comes in and we have a deadline day scramble and only manage to bring in one of the three players we were rushed to try and get in. Yes, I don't doubt that factors outside of FdB contributed, but I also get the impression that a lack of movement from the manager was one of the reasons that friction emerged with Parish.

Pulis is the only other manager where the 'he wansn't backed' line bears some truth - superficially at least. However, given what I've previously pointed out and what Bubbs has too, I think it is fair to say that it was less of Parish saying 'no' to every player Pulis suggested and more a case of Pulis engineering a move out of the club for whatever reason (I don't think he wanted to come here in the first place and SW16 girl has mentioned a few times that he was given certain promises about the West Ham job before Allardyce turned their fortunes around somewhat). I think Parish was genuinely surprised by Pulis' decision 2 days before the start of the season. He'd perhaps been a little concerned (and didn't want to sack him) and then suddenly had a bombshell land on his lap.

And all of that is before we consider that all other Palace manages have been backed in the market.

It is funny that you criticise me for only viewing things in a 'pro-Parish' way (I don't by the way, I've criticised things I don't think are great but whom I'd back over the likes of Pulis any day of the week), when your slant on any situation is the direct opposite. If there is the smallest hint that Parish could in some way be to blame, you're blinded to all else.

elgin eagle
22-09-2017, 09:31 AM
Promotion. This current chaos suits us far better. Its almost worth lumping on us to win 1 nil tomorrow.

Nigelbrag
22-09-2017, 10:21 AM

Interesting thoughts about a coach being the answer"Coach", personally i would have said getting in the right manager who in turn would have a proven and trusted coach in tow would have been the answer.
Unfortunately the TWO most suitable men we recruited Pulis and Allardyce, having proven their ability to carry out the task this club needed so as to step up then chose to leave for whatever reasons, the truth and true reasons behind that may be something we fans will never really know.
What i will say on the coach issue is we had a highly rated youth coach who also worked with the 1st team i believe at Palace and a true fan of the club who's name escapes me, felt he was overlooked at Palace and unappreciated, but is now at WBA taken there by Pulis who obviously recognised his budding talent.
This to me comes down to poor management and decision making at Board level, just one look at the genuine progress or lack of it in the FOUR years in the premiership will tell you our failings, is this down to Steve Parish alone? i am not sure he is, but as it appears he is at the forefront of most decision makings at the club then we can say the buck stops with him, and the Frank de Boer saga said it all.
Personally i feel we Must now show faith in Roy Hodgson's management for the given Two year term regardless to whether we are relegated, providing we have seen an upturn in form and progress and build on that. Afterall he is vastly experienced at ALL levels of the game and without question will bring a lot to Palace in time but we Must show patience and belief in the man, and in bringing in a track suited coach in Reid could prove a masterstroke.
One thing for sure is we cannot continue with our previous chaotic planning as it is shambolic, what is it 11 managers in 7 years says it all.