PDA

View Full Version : No magic wand

cockneyrebel
17-09-2017, 10:51 AM
Did anyone else find Roy's comments strange? No inspiration, saying we could be in an even worse situation in three matches time? This is hardly a talk that is gonna inspire confidence and raise morale!

Scifo
17-09-2017, 11:01 AM
When we are on a bad run our managers comments in press conferences get scrutinised beyond all reason.

Even before yesterday Roy was talking about 'don't expect instant results', Brede Hangeland's comments about him also said the same.

It will suck balls if we have no points after 8 games but lets face it there is a very decent chance of that happening. If he starts acting let getting a point against a strong Man City team will define our season then that is just setting everyone up for a fall.

If he gets a point out of 1 of those 3 games & we don't lose any of them by cricket scores (Like Watford yesterday) then we are doing better than is expected

Les Butler
17-09-2017, 11:01 AM
He is a realist, from yesterday and before shit I would think people are not going to go for the bullshit

chrisophiex
17-09-2017, 11:09 AM
Forget the next three games. It's a blessing that we have them. 2 are away, which helps with the tense atmosphere at Selhurst, and Roy will know ALL about his squad after the next three games.

He will see who is up for the fight and who is not. Forget the record of 5 losses and no goals...it's there but so what?

Three really tough games where we are expected to lose. I'm not going to say we are at our best when up against it, and all that rhetoric, but we have to use the next three to get our shit together.

It took Sam 8 games and it will take Roy the same. But there is time, I hope.

Kai
17-09-2017, 11:27 AM
The next three games are all lost - if we can somehow scrape a point it would be an upset. However, the games after that are of a different stature and those are the ones we need to focus on. Work on getting the shape right and be ready for Newcastle.

cockneyrebel
17-09-2017, 01:15 PM
He doesn't have to bullshit, but at least give hope. I think it's really poor to give comments that are so down beat. Alladyce was a realist but also gave out a feeling of confidence (and we went on to beat top teams).

Maz
17-09-2017, 01:18 PM
Did anyone else find Roy's comments strange? No inspiration, saying we could be in an even worse situation in three matches time? This is hardly a talk that is gonna inspire confidence and raise morale!

I prefer realism to fake optimism, so no.

Bones14
17-09-2017, 01:27 PM
He doesn't have to bullshit, but at least give hope. I think it's really poor to give comments that are so down beat. Alladyce was a realist but also gave out a feeling of confidence (and we went on to beat top teams).

So you want him to lie. We're in a mess and that's how it is. No point bullshitting anyone.
I don't need the manager to give me optimism, I need the players to play ****EN PROPERLY for 90+minutes. That would inspire me.

ExiledStirling
17-09-2017, 01:29 PM
Funny how we can interpret things so differently.

I like all he has said so far, measured, honest, knowledgeable, realistic but also expressing his confidence the squad will survive relegation come May.

He has made it clear to us, and more importantly the players, that the league is not decided at the end of September, which was obviously a nod to our next 3 games.

One more unwanted record for us to take, record premier league defeat next Saturday, and then the upward curve will hopefully start.

ExiledStirling
17-09-2017, 01:29 PM

Lombardo's hair
17-09-2017, 01:35 PM
This jut shows how ludicrous sacking FDB was. It just beggars belief. Also I dont see Roy as being a great motivator or disciplinarian. Nor can I see him making tough decisions regard team selection based on his England reign. He also does not mske me feel as though he is innovative in his approach. He will set up 442 or 4411 and sit back and teams will set up to close down wilf and townsend as always. We will then be reliant on Sakho improving our defence. I know people will say that's how we've survived but I was hoping for a different approach this season. But the players couldn't cope...poor dears

cockneyrebel
17-09-2017, 02:13 PM
So you want him to lie. We're in a mess and that's how it is. No point bullshitting anyone.
I don't need the manager to give me optimism, I need the players to play ****EN PROPERLY for 90+minutes. That would inspire me.

You don't have to lie to give hope and be inspirational. Alladyce got the mix right. Hodgson came across like he had just written off the next three games.

CPFC.1990
17-09-2017, 02:19 PM

We are in the crap. To say otherwise would just make the situation even more pathetic and make Hodgson look deluded.

Mr Palace
17-09-2017, 02:21 PM
I thought Roy's comments were good. The only thing I am annoyed at him about is not starting Luka but I trust he will never make that mistake again.

st albans
17-09-2017, 02:28 PM

All Sam did in his first 8 games was blame the players and seem really depressed. Inspired zero confidence at the time

Reg_Maudling
17-09-2017, 02:35 PM
some people want a tub-thumper - then they would have been happiest with a Tim Sherwood type figure, someone who beats his chest and shouts and shows "passion" - it might win you the first match but would crumble very soon after without careful and clear thinking of the situation and what needs to be done with this particular group of players

this squad is so unbalanced and lacking in key areas it needs first analysis and then easy to understand direction - not empty passion

chrisophiex
17-09-2017, 02:36 PM
I thought Roy's comments were good. The only thing I am annoyed at him about is not starting Luka but I trust he will never make that mistake again.

Agreed. There's no way he can come in and play a whole new system and change the personnel after 3 days.

The best thing a manager can do is start with what worked reasonably well last week, and then make changes as he sees it during the game and within training.

I think he may drop Punch in due course, but it would be ridiculous to come in and drop the club captain without having had a single game to make up his own mind about him.

Like I said above, the next 3 games are just what we need to get it going again. The worst thing would be to play 3 more "relegation" teams and lose to them because we haven't had time to get it going.

I hope that last bit makes some sort of sense.

eagleincroydon
17-09-2017, 09:01 PM
zaha

Skintagain
17-09-2017, 09:24 PM

His getting his excuse's in early, football management is also about managing the expectation of the board, that's what he's doing. The more he can lower that the better for him.
Flip the coin, he's hardly going to say we're great and we'll win the next few.

DARZET EAGLE
17-09-2017, 09:31 PM

He's a realist.

Skintagain
17-09-2017, 09:31 PM
I prefer realism to fake optimism, so no.

We might as well give up now then. I see no reason why we can't recover from here, the stats from the Soton game weren't that bad, a point was within arms reach.
We need to tweek the tactics and drop a couple from the starting line up and it'll be different. Plus we have Sakho and Wilf to come yet.

He should be instilling confidence into the players and trying to improve the situation not telling everybody we're crap.

Skintagain
17-09-2017, 09:33 PM
He's a realist.

He's a defeatist on the comments so far, he shouldn't be here he should be sitting on deck chair on one of Maz's cruises.

chrisophiex
17-09-2017, 09:34 PM
We might as well give up now then. I see no reason why we can't recover from here, the stats from the Soton game weren't that bad, a point was within arms reach.
We need to tweek the tactics and drop a couple from the starting line up and it'll be different. Plus we have Sakho and Wilf to come yet.

He should be instilling confidence into the players and trying to improve the situation not telling everybody we're crap.

I think Maz was saying he didn't think RH's comments were strange. Thus, he's agreeing with you. ( I think ).

davech
17-09-2017, 09:57 PM

I don't think he was saying that at all. He was simply being a realist.

He was only acknowledging what the whole football world knows; the next three games would be difficult for anyone, let alone us in our current form. Who really expects us to get anything? But, as we all know, it would be so Palace to come away with a win and a draw. Just look at those 3 games (Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea) under Big Sam at the end of last season.

We are feeding off scraps at the moment. We can only hope and pray we can get SOMETHING

Bryan
17-09-2017, 10:23 PM
I would bet good money we will get something out of these 3 game.

We also have a world class defender and a world class winger to return to the first team.

If we can give Puncheon and Ward a rest and finally get some luck with injuries I think we will start to turn this around.

PeterH
17-09-2017, 10:27 PM
I would bet good money we will get something out of these 3 game.

We also have a world class defender and a world class winger to return to the first team.

If we can give Puncheon and Ward a rest and finally get some luck with injuries I think we will start to turn this around.

I'd bet good money that neither of those two injured players will be ready before Newcastle. Certainly not Zaha.

racehorse-80s
17-09-2017, 10:43 PM
I've found a magic wand http://magicwandoriginal.com/ we can all relax now .

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
18-09-2017, 12:26 AM
In a way maybe it is good that he can get to know his squad and try things out in games we would probably, and will certainly be expected to, lose anyway. FDB was possibly unlucky that he didn't have such fixtures - 3 of his 4 games were matches where points were expected.

We need to be absolutely ready to hit the ground running after these three games though. It may well be too late by then but if it takes any longer than that, it will definitely be. Hopefully he and the players can learn during and from those matches, and the cup game.

Louis
18-09-2017, 01:27 AM
Careful lowering of expectations is probably a sensible approach in the short-term. When we start exceeding those lowered expectations, confidence should start to grow.

Louis
18-09-2017, 01:28 AM
I don't think he was telling anybody we're crap - earlier he said he will stay up :)

Sharkba1t
18-09-2017, 05:39 AM
He is being a realist and managing expectations.
Nothing wrong with that.
Undoubtedly we're in big trouble, but we have time to turn it around. Confidence plays a big part and we've lost it, but I think Roy will get us going again.
I'm hopeful...ish.

McpfcS
18-09-2017, 06:09 AM
Thought Roy spoke very well after the game. Danny Mills et al embarrassed themselves by bemoaning how dour and unmotivational he is.

Golf Boy
18-09-2017, 06:21 AM
some people want a tub-thumper - then they would have been happiest with a Tim Sherwood type figure, someone who beats his chest and shouts and shows "passion" - it might win you the first match but would crumble very soon after without careful and clear thinking of the situation and what needs to be done with this particular group of players

this squad is so unbalanced and lacking in key areas it needs first analysis and then easy to understand direction - not empty passion

Yes. Get Serwood in, with Keegan as assistant.

Palacebear
18-09-2017, 06:48 AM
After that performance on Saturday he could hardly come out and say everything is fine, we have no problems, we are scoring for fun and will soon move up the table.

We are in a very difficult position, we have lost 5 consecutive league games, not scored a goal and have the two Manchester clubs next.

He needs to manage expectations, we are likely to have no wins from 8 games. So for me the realistic objectives are beat Huddersfield (for confidence) and then score in the league.

SilentAssassin
18-09-2017, 07:37 AM

No win situation, he say's that we're gonna start climbing the league etc etc and we don't then people will hound on him. He's brave enough to tell the situation as it is and I think that is a good thing.

Allardyce was the same was he not, his press conferences were hardly inspiring? Yet people didn't jump on him. Give Hodgson a bit of time! We don't need to play up to the media's portrayal of the football club at the moment, they would love for us to turn in on a manager, let's not gift them that whilst they have gifted us the the club that is written off this season.