PDA

View Full Version : Freedman v Morrison

Jim Cannon
17-09-2017, 03:45 PM
I think this will be a closer match up than Murray v Armstrong

Freedman scored the more spectacular goals but Clint earned his rightful place in Palace folklore too. This is based on football only and anyone holding a grudge against Freedman should consider it on this basis.

teesdale99
17-09-2017, 03:55 PM
Close but Dougie edges it on the basis he was one of the individual players you would get excited about watching each week along with Wright, Lombardo,curcic, bolasie, zaha

Clinton was a clinical championship striker but didn't bring that buzz of the unexpected of brilliant

Icy
17-09-2017, 04:00 PM
The doog was a far better player plus Stockport away.

CharlieCPFC
17-09-2017, 04:01 PM
Clinton.

Proper Palace man.

averity
17-09-2017, 04:08 PM
Client all day! Just wish he had stayed when he went! Proper palace lad! Still my fav player! Him and wilf

PALACEFAN
17-09-2017, 04:14 PM
Clinton!

boxthorncutter
17-09-2017, 04:19 PM
Freedman the better footballer, sublime touch, he scored some great goals, couldn't call him slow either. Did get muscled out in a lot of games. Went on dry spells when it came to finding the back of the net. Vital goals against Wolves in the play offs and at Stockport.

Clinton at his best was lethal in the box with his back to goal. During the first admin period under Coppell he was so energetic, a constant threat down the channels too. Great goal against Liverpool in the League Cup

Maybe Freedman edges it, which is a shame cause he's a bit of a knob as a person. Clinton is too but in a more innocent way.

Joe85
17-09-2017, 04:27 PM
Clint.

jaspercpfc
18-09-2017, 09:29 PM
Clint every day for me.

Oli28
18-09-2017, 09:36 PM
Went on dry spells when it came to finding the back of the net. Vital goals against Wolves in the play offs and at Stockport.

You could have added Charlton to that, had we not thrown one away at the end.

Love Clint but dougie was the better player

eagle-leg
18-09-2017, 10:03 PM
Why are there no polls on these versus threads?

Both had two spells with us.

Dougies first spell was the best, but overall i have to go with clint.

Dougie at the end took around 100 gamea to score his final 10 goals.

Im probably bias though, got nothing but love for clint but for me dougie tarnished his own legacy when he left as manager to join bolton.

I find it difficult to seperate dougie the player and dougie the manager.

wawman_15
18-09-2017, 10:09 PM
Dougie had more ability. Could score from literally anywhere. Superb vision and was always one move ahead of the play in his head.

Unfortunately his managerial spell is likely to cloud judgement as it's still raw with a lot of fans.

Urine Mattress
18-09-2017, 10:09 PM
Both strikers, but entirely different types of players, making comparisons a bit moot.

DF clearly the better all round footballer, Clinton a lethal, direct goal scorer.

Glad to have had them both

DARZET EAGLE
18-09-2017, 10:15 PM
Both strikers, but entirely different types of players, making comparisons a bit moot.

DF clearly the better all round footballer, Clinton a lethal, direct goal scorer.

Glad to have had them both

Points well made. Wish you would change your user name though.:hmph:

WLYWLYAWYPWF
18-09-2017, 10:32 PM
It doesn't matter.

leeeooooh2
18-09-2017, 10:46 PM
Clint is one of my favourite players ever....but Freedman was probably a better player.

jimmy the gent
18-09-2017, 10:53 PM
Dougie was the better player, Clinton the better man.

jimos_uk
18-09-2017, 11:07 PM
It doesn't matter.

You could say that about this whole Memory Lane board. Daft thing to say, though.

Freedman was much better technically, but I think a lot of people forget that Clint was a very skilled player, he just played the poacher role because it got him more goals.

If you asked me which one I'd prefer to have in the team now, despite the sulks, the shoulder and his ability to infuriate me constantly, it'd be Clint. His skillset still works in this division in my humble as he was always able to find an inch to get a shot off, whilst Dougie's jinking runs and undoubted ability to score from anywhere i suspect would be nullified by the way the defensive lines are these days.

Oli28
19-09-2017, 06:40 AM
If you asked me which one I'd prefer to have in the team now, despite the sulks, the shoulder and his ability to infuriate me constantly, it'd be Clint. His skillset still works in this division in my humble as he was always able to find an inch to get a shot off, whilst Dougie's jinking runs and undoubted ability to score from anywhere i suspect would be nullified by the way the defensive lines are these days.
Please don't give Parish any ideas

jaspercpfc
19-09-2017, 09:45 AM
Dougie was the better player, Clinton the better man.

technically better but Freedman should have achieved more IMO. Both Morrison and Freedman have an identical goals per game ratio for the top flight at 0.17 goals per match.

Freedman made 58 top flight appearances in all (For Forest & Palace) scoring 10 goals

Morrison made 88 top flight appearances (For Birmingham) scoring 15 goals.

KP'S Nuts
19-09-2017, 09:53 AM
Freedman in his prime was a better striker than clinton in his prime in my opinion.

SilentAssassin
19-09-2017, 10:00 AM
Clinton for me. A real favourite of mine growing up. I liked Dougie but I always felt Clinton had that star quality that as a kid had you gleaming and wanting to turn up to Selhurst no matter if the opposition was Liverpool or Bury.

Dom the Eagle
19-09-2017, 10:23 AM
Dougie was far better to watch. A sublimely clever footballer.

mrB
19-09-2017, 10:32 AM
Dougie- by some distance. Loved them both tho.

smileysmith
19-09-2017, 10:41 AM
Dougie. Loved Clint for many reasons, but watching Dougie play was, at times, sublime.

Selhurst Celtic
19-09-2017, 10:44 AM
Morrison.

He played for Ireland.

Daddy Long
19-09-2017, 11:01 AM
Clinton quite easily for me. Probably my favourite palace player since I started supporting in the 90s.

brighton_eagle
19-09-2017, 11:16 AM
Clinton for me too. A classic Palace player - cheeky and a real handful. They were pretty good together though.

Son of Ron
19-09-2017, 11:22 AM
Dougie for me, but a bit like being asked who's your favourite of your own children

st albans
19-09-2017, 11:28 AM
Freedman by a distance

PalaceForever
19-09-2017, 11:46 AM
I always preferred Clinton. Not sure why exactly, I just liked his personality and ability.

I loved that little period at the end of 2008 with Moses and Scott Sinclair either side of Clinton. Good times.

aj4england
19-09-2017, 12:05 PM
Always have memories of clinton being unreal until he did his shoulder? May have been a myth about his shoulder though it feels that long ago.

For me freedman. I could barely think of any goals that Clinton scored that have stuck in my head though can think of a few from Dougie.

beef
19-09-2017, 12:11 PM
Clinton for me. He was my favourite player when I was a child and I was so happy to see him return.

Se9 eagles
19-09-2017, 02:12 PM
Freedman.

Tom's Old Man
19-09-2017, 06:17 PM
Clinton was the better finisher, Dougie the better all-round player.

jobiinthelastmi
19-09-2017, 06:53 PM
Clinton :lux:

CPFC Jimmy
19-09-2017, 06:55 PM
Clinton

PeterH
19-09-2017, 07:00 PM
Doug for me.

Urine Mattress LOL

Panther
20-09-2017, 06:50 AM
They had very similar scoring ratios for Palace. Clinton was more consistent, always reaching double figures for a season, whereas Dougie had some good seasons and several unproductive ones, the last four or five in particular. Clinton probably scored more bread and butter goals while Dougie could do the more special, e.g. Stockport.

spt1978
20-09-2017, 08:25 PM
Clint.

rambo1
20-09-2017, 08:42 PM
Hate Comparing Players,as of a Different Type,but Dougie,Just Shades it,for Me.

David Amsalem
20-09-2017, 08:50 PM
Morrison. Proper Palace and London boy.

Benzhiyi
20-09-2017, 11:41 PM
Morrison.

Dougie had his incredible moments, and is rightly a club legend as a result, but was never Premier League calibre. Clint was a master poacher but people generally underrated his hold-up play, which was first-rate for us and the driving force in him clocking up up more than 100 top-flight appearances for Brum.

Relatedly, I once interviewed Aki and asked him where Dougie ranked among the best strikers he'd ever played with.

His answer, with a delivery which made clear it wasn't meant disrespectfully to DF: "A long way behind Clinton."

jimmy the gent
20-09-2017, 11:50 PM
Was that before or after Dougie had slunk off to Bolton / grassed us up to Solsjkaer

Owngoal
20-09-2017, 11:51 PM
Morrison. Dougie had his incredible moments, and is rightly a club legend as a result, but was never Premier League calibre. Whereas Clint clocked up more than 100 top-flight appearances for Brum and held his own at that level.

Relatedly, I once interviewed Aki and asked him where Dougie ranked among the best strikers he'd ever played with.

His answer: "A long way behind Clinton."

Both as a footballer and a man - he never wanted to be friends with Clinton - dour Scot as opposed to the smiling Irishman

Payroll Legend
21-09-2017, 12:24 AM
technically better but Freedman should have achieved more IMO. Both Morrison and Freedman have an identical goals per game ratio for the top flight at 0.17 goals per match.

Freedman made 58 top flight appearances in all (For Forest & Palace) scoring 10 goals

Morrison made 88 top flight appearances (For Birmingham) scoring 15 goals.

That's a 1 in 6 ratio for both in the top flight.

I agree Freedman could've achieved more. Not sure he was strong enough against top level defences. Morrison was the better player for me. More athletic, stronger and quicker.

Freedman could finish though. As the clock ticked down at Stockport I was holding onto the hope that a chance would fall Freedman's way. I just felt he'd have the composure to stick it away.

jimmy the gent
21-09-2017, 02:12 PM
Coppell made a blunder selling Freedman in 97 IMHO. We really could have used him that year.

Il Padrino
30-09-2017, 12:32 PM
Coppell made a blunder selling Freedman in 97 IMHO. We really could have used him that year.

Hadn't he said he wasn't going to renew his contract at the end of that season?0

I Am No. 6
01-10-2017, 01:43 PM
You could have added Charlton to that, had we not thrown one away at the end.

Love Clint but dougie was the better player

My first post on here.

Can't get the first goal we scored against the filth at Withdean in October 2005. Clinton picked it up on the left side of the penalty area and literally took a sand-wedge to find Dougie who headed it thru the keeper's hands. sublime. They seemed to know where each other was on the pitch almost like Wright/Bright. Probably the best partnership I ever saw play for Paace.

I gather though they did not get on well off the pitch, true or not?

Gotta say Dougie for me for Stockport and the goal which should have won us that Charlton game to keep us up. What happened to the wa@@er who gave away the free-kick? Didn't he go to QPR later?

Dougie the manager kept us up against Sheffield W. Why he left to go to Bolton is a mystery to me. And to him probably.