PDA

View Full Version : A Simple thing to Fix - Throw-ins

YOGIH
18-09-2017, 07:25 AM
Sort out the throw-ins. We lose possession nearly every time. Lack of movement, throwing down the line. Watch other teams they throw the back to players in space retaining possession. It dose not seem to matter who the manager is we do the same thing, what's the problem ?

Yoda
18-09-2017, 07:33 AM
Very true and it's been going on for ages.

kestoneagle
18-09-2017, 07:37 AM
We don't seem to have a fit (CW can do it) player on the books who can throw the ball more than 5 yards so every throw we get it to feet close up followed by a short pass back where we then lose possession.

SE5eagle
18-09-2017, 07:37 AM
Agreed, or even do that thing where the thrower throws it and the receiver touches the ball back to the thrower.

They've been abysmal for seasons.

Also, I don't think cabaye should be taking free kicks but that's for another thread.

kestoneagle
18-09-2017, 07:50 AM
Sorry, yes, that's what i meant...the pass back to the thrower. Rarely works for us as the initial throw isn't long enough leading to the pass back being from too close. They close us down and our guy doesn't have the control to cope.

CharlieCPFC
18-09-2017, 07:57 AM
The lack of movement ain't just from throw ins it's from our general play too. Centrally were so static when we've got the ball mainly from the back.

Green Bin
18-09-2017, 08:04 AM
I thought you were going to discuss marking...particularly our Full Backs v opposition wingers

Green Bin
18-09-2017, 08:05 AM
...or someone actually getting close to Benteke on a regular basis to feed off his headers

Only Townsend seems to make an effort

Green Bin
18-09-2017, 08:06 AM
..or our Full Backs properly overlapping our wingers??

Green Bin
18-09-2017, 08:07 AM
...or our midfielder not standing 10 yards off every opposition player in midfield

Green Bin
18-09-2017, 08:08 AM
...but obviously not the goalkeeping situation, there's no simple fix there

Shipp Ahoy!
18-09-2017, 08:13 AM
Part of it is how bloody slow we are taking them!

Lets the opposition get back in numbers to defend and pick up every player.

It pisses me off when one player walks over picks up the ball then immediately looks at the full back as if to say 'I don't know how to throw a ball'. Then when Ward/Schlupp/PVA eventually trudles up they spend 5 minutes trying to remember how a throw in ******* works!

FFS lads it's not hard.

dannyb1
18-09-2017, 08:18 AM
...or our midfielder not standing 10 yards off every opposition player in midfield

There was an attack from Southampton where RLC pointed towards Ward to tell him to stick with his man when Tadic (i think) was 10y or so away and RLC let him skip straight past.

meee
18-09-2017, 08:24 AM
The lack of movement ain't just from throw ins it's from our general play too. Centrally were so static when we've got the ball mainly from the back.

It's like a game of statues.Either that or everyone moves in the same direction.That goal against Liverpool where Cabaye spun in behind and crossed it for Benteke is so rare for us it's incredible.Man City this week are going to teach us a pretty harsh lesson.

Lombardo's hair
18-09-2017, 08:30 AM
All the issues raised have been part of our ineptitude for decades since wright a d bright. They were always on the .o email a d supported each other. We did things with.corners too. Midfield has always been fairly static except for when Bruce was .in. Charge. But it seems the players can't adapt. They apparently don't like change or innovation or some mouthy ones don't

Thefunkymonk
18-09-2017, 08:36 AM
Sort out the throw-ins. We lose possession nearly every time. Lack of movement, throwing down the line. Watch other teams they throw the back to players in space retaining possession. It dose not seem to matter who the manager is we do the same thing, what's the problem ?

Dude.. I've been a season ticket holder since 1991/92 and have always said this.. every season. We never keep posesssion from throw ins!!

YOGIH
18-09-2017, 08:51 AM
Like I said its a simple fix !

Seanee Pawnee
18-09-2017, 08:55 AM
1st goal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZwSWIoVYwQ&sns=em

We did summit similar fa cup semi v Watford. But nuttin inventive since...

MENTALLY TOUGH
18-09-2017, 08:56 AM
I thought you were going to mention the water feature on the Holmesdale Roof.

Ooh Betty
18-09-2017, 09:08 AM
All the issues raised have been part of our ineptitude for decades since wright a d bright. They were always on the .o email a d supported each other. We did things with.corners too. Midfield has always been fairly static except for when Bruce was .in. Charge. But it seems the players can't adapt. They apparently don't like change or innovation or some mouthy ones don't

Are you a distant relative of Rambo1 ?

GreatGonzo
18-09-2017, 11:06 AM
Sorry, yes, that's what i meant...the pass back to the thrower. Rarely works for us as the initial throw isn't long enough leading to the pass back being from too close. They close us down and our guy doesn't have the control to cope.

To be fair, when we do that half the time we just kick the ball out for a throw in the other way! Movement at set pieces it appalling.

Part of it is how bloody slow we are taking them!

Lets the opposition get back in numbers to defend and pick up every player.

It pisses me off when one player walks over picks up the ball then immediately looks at the full back as if to say 'I don't know how to throw a ball'. Then when Ward/Schlupp/PVA eventually trudles up they spend 5 minutes trying to remember how a throw in ******* works!

FFS lads it's not hard.

It is hard! It must be hard, because you and i both know that each game about half the throws are foul throws. Player do not seem to know how to take a throw in! What is hard it would seem is the referees ability to spot these and penalise them.

aj4england
19-09-2017, 09:07 AM
I cant imagine I am the only one who has become beyond infuriated by our abysmal ball retention from throw ins? (yes things are desperate!)

We generally are static and the thrower waits for the players to move however the thrower is in control! They can make space with the throw!

Our lack of height in central midfield highlighted this even more, causing Benteke to be dragged across the pitch only for the flick on to land at Southamptons CBs and away they go.

Watching Jimmy Bullard, yes, Jimmy Bullards Sunday League Hacks on SoccerAM, even he highlighted how poor throw ins within the English game are. We could do worse than show the players the video.

https://twitter.com/SoccerAM/status/909744131710373888

Watch us over the next few weeks (it will distract you from the rest of the problems if nothing else!) but will also show why we struggle to keep the ball so long.

SilentAssassin
19-09-2017, 09:09 AM
I get the feeling there was a thread for this....

Here it is;

http://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=272125

Reg_Maudling
19-09-2017, 09:20 AM
Our own players waste time delaying throws ins when we are losing

YOGIH
19-09-2017, 09:22 AM
We.can see it why can't umpteen managers and coaches

Shipp Ahoy!
19-09-2017, 09:30 AM
It is hard! It must be hard, because you and i both know that each game about half the throws are foul throws. Player do not seem to know how to take a throw in! What is hard it would seem is the referees ability to spot these and penalise them.

I think the reason they take foul throws is BECAUSE the referees don't penalise them!

A Wooden Fish On Wheels
19-09-2017, 10:00 AM
Wow. Yes... I agree with all of this. Good call.

Our movement off the ball was terrible on Saturday, and we showed little or no urgency to get the game going from dead ball situations. You would not have thought that we were losing from the way the players dawdled about to take a throw in and just stood like statues rather than making bids to shake their markers and cut for the ball.

Our marking and closing down was too loose as well. These aren't issues with skill, we have amazing skill in our squad - there are issues with fitness and motivation.

RH should sit the players down and make them watch their 'performance' and then he should stick a f*cking big rocket up their arses and remind them that they are paid millions of pounds a year for this shit.

jimmy the gent
19-09-2017, 10:30 AM

This has been the case the last 30 odd years i've been watching palace.

Celestial Empire
19-09-2017, 10:42 AM
Like I said its a simple fix !

You are spot on, good thread. Something Hodgson and Lewington can improve quickly and easily.
The "discipline" where only full-backs can take throw-ins is really dumb, especially when ours are poor throwers !
A quick and unexpected throw-in from the nearest midfielder could give an advantage (Palace tactical innovation, whatever next ? :cool:).
Of course, the Clattenburg school of refs would probably just demand it was retaken by a slowly arriving full-back though.:hmph:

Spindle
19-09-2017, 10:45 AM
Is this thread better than the other one?

kestoneagle
19-09-2017, 10:48 AM
This is the kind of helpful input Steve P was asking for on the HOL pod. Someone should send him and Roy a copy of the thread!

YOGIH
19-09-2017, 11:14 AM
maybe the feedback should come from Ray Charles or Stevie Wonder

3 Beers at HT
19-09-2017, 11:31 AM
Dude.. I've been a season ticket holder since 1991/92 and have always said this.. every season. We never keep posesssion from throw ins!!

Gloryhunter.

GreatGonzo
19-09-2017, 11:53 AM
I think the reason they take foul throws is BECAUSE the referees don't penalise them!

They should incrementally take the piss until the get to the point they are running down the line bowling it single handed onto the pitch and see where they will draw the line.

tompalace
19-09-2017, 12:01 PM
Spot on. Don't know if anyone noticed how many times Forster kicked the ball out of play on Saturday. I'm certain this was because they had also picked up on this, and felt they were more likely to regain possession from our throw on then from kicking it to Shane Long.