PDA

View Full Version : Zaha versus Rogers

DARZET EAGLE
18-09-2017, 10:06 PM
Two brilliant wingers, but who is the best?

Harry Bassett
18-09-2017, 10:15 PM
Zaha perhaps more consistent, Rogers faster and a much better goal scorer, how Rogers was not an England regular is beyond me Don had dodgy knees though.

Both would make the team.

DARZET EAGLE
18-09-2017, 10:17 PM
Zaha perhaps more consistent, Rogers faster and a much better goal scorer, how Rogers was not an England regular is beyond me Don had dodgy knees though.

They would make any team we put out and are proven at the very top level.

WLYWLYAWYPWF
18-09-2017, 10:28 PM
It doesn't matter.

Martin H
18-09-2017, 10:32 PM
Quite difficult to compare eras because memory plays tricks. Allowing for that I would have said that Rogers was just as magical as Wilf looks at his best but almost casual (different era remember) as he left players on their ****. He seemed to walk past defenders, jinking and leaving them on the floor. Also from memory he seemed to create or score more regularly but I suspect that maybe amplified by the passing of time because you remember those moments.

I just had that feeling that this year would be Wilf's year and everything would come together and his new role would have seen him score a lot more goals. So one thing I am gutted about is not seeing him play there as I assume he will be pushed back out wide again where he can be boxed in more easily. He will wriggle free but not as often as I had hoped. His injury has been a blow but hopefully he will be back on track soon.

davech
18-09-2017, 11:00 PM
I can only echo Martin H.

Don Rogers.

Only here for two years, but an exciting winger with a goal every 2.5 games, which is up there with the best at Palace. Don's goal-scoring record far outweighs that of Wilf. Some of those goals were truly sublime; two against Man Utd in THAT game and a goal of the season against Stoke spring readily to mind. Back then, goalscoring wingers were all around, but there was never any international recognition for Don - Palace were just not fashionable enough - plus ša change and all that :rolleyes:.

To the best of my knowledge there were no official stats on assists back in Don's day, but there were certainly quite a few. I don't remember him ever being booked, and his temperament was far superior to Wilf. Had he not chosen to stay with third-tier Swindon as long as he did, his career would have been even more illustrious. His dodgy hips were eventually his downfall.

Wilf is equally exciting and skilful and can also tear defences apart. The game has changed since Don's day, but for temperament and goalscoring ability, for me it has to be Don Rogers.

Hal Low
19-09-2017, 10:47 AM
An impossible choice. Two of the best wingers ever in this country and both ignored by England.

Martin H
19-09-2017, 12:21 PM
I can only echo Martin H.

Don Rogers.

Only here for two years, but an exciting winger with a goal every 2.5 games, which is up there with the best at Palace. Don's goal-scoring record far outweighs that of Wilf. Some of those goals were truly sublime; two against Man Utd in THAT game and a goal of the season against Stoke spring readily to mind. Back then, goalscoring wingers were all around, but there was never any international recognition for Don - Palace were just not fashionable enough - plus ša change and all that :rolleyes:.

To the best of my knowledge there were no official stats on assists back in Don's day, but there were certainly quite a few. I don't remember him ever being booked, and his temperament was far superior to Wilf. Had he not chosen to stay with third-tier Swindon as long as he did, his career would have been even more illustrious. His dodgy hips were eventually his downfall.

Wilf is equally exciting and skilful and can also tear defences apart. The game has changed since Don's day, but for temperament and goalscoring ability, for me it has to be Don Rogers.

I am not surprised his hips ended up being a problem because he seemed to make them go one way while he legs went the other. Nostalgia is a terribly thing but I can watch those goals all day and still wonder at how he beat players sometimes. With Wilf, the outcome is similar, in that I really don't know how he gets past them sometimes but is more to do with the complexity of his tricks etc. Hopefully Wilf can be remembered for decades for a wonderful goal scoring record one day. He is an unbelievable player at times.

I do think that Reuben is right up there with him in terms of his potential and will be a very special player. Long way to go.

Bintang
19-09-2017, 02:38 PM
Different times.

Not sure how Wilf would last against some of the thuggish full backs and centre halfs back in the day.

One on one Don was a star player. I started going to see Palace as we slid down from the 1st to the 3rd divisions. Hardly won a game. Don was the reason I kept going back. A dream to watch.

wrightchipvcfc
19-09-2017, 02:49 PM
I was only a kid in don Rogers time but even then he seemed a brilliant player Peter Taylor as well but as a kid you prob only remember the good stuff don't say he didn't run back for there goal ect so hard to judge agaist Zaha today but they are both players worth the ticket money just to watch them.

9Freedman9
19-09-2017, 02:54 PM
Can we add Jolly Rodger into the mix?

ExiledStirling
19-09-2017, 03:01 PM
two against Man Utd in THAT game
D3QRi_oQ9mU

davech
19-09-2017, 03:52 PM
I know I harp on about Don Rogers at the slightest opportunity, but he is imho the best player I have seen in Palace shirt in my 50-odd years of support. We probably only got him due to Bert Head, who had been a big influence back in their Swindon days; I doubt he would have moved for anyone else.

I remember his debut v Everton. He had been hanging around on the right wing for some 20 minutes or so, looking like a little boy lost. Then there was a through-ball. He was in space and was off like a whippet, outpacing all. He drew David Lawson from goal and lifted the ball past him into the far side of the goal. Final score 1-0, after 7 losses in 8 games. Pure class. Some of our present-day players would do well to watch that and copy.

Martin H
19-09-2017, 03:54 PM
I know I harp on about Don Rogers at the slightest opportunity, but he is imho the best player I have seen in Palace shirt in my 50-odd years of support. We probably only got him due to Bert Head, who had been a big influence back in their Swindon days; I doubt he would have moved for anyone else.

I remember his debut v Everton. He had been hanging around on the right wing for some 20 minutes or so, looking like a little boy lost. Then there was a through-ball. He was in space and was off like a whippet, outpacing all. He drew David Lawson from goal and lifted the ball past him into the far side of the goal. Final score 1-0, after 7 losses in 8 games. Pure class. Some of our present-day players would do well to watch that and copy.

David Lawson - didn't he play for Huddersfield Town at some point? Perhaps its an omen - Don Rogers will score the winner tonight.

Nigelbrag
19-09-2017, 04:03 PM
Wow such wonderful memories, If only!!!
As for the superb Don Rogers, what would we give to have a complete winger like him today, and when you think he had his best days at Swindon previously. Also who could forget that Wembley final for Div 3 Swindon when he tore apart was it Arsenal?
As to compare Wilf and Don is slightly tricky due mainly as WZ is more pleasing to the eye with his trickery but nowhere near a finisher like the elegant player Don Rogers was, who was a more direct type winger with skill but also a superb finisher which made him a rarity.
For me it's a no brainer, Don Rogers everytime.

Martin H
19-09-2017, 04:07 PM
As for the superb Don Rogers, what would we give to have a complete winger like him today, and when you think he had his best days at Swindon previously. Also who could forget that Wembley final for Div 3 Swindon when he tore apart was it Arsenal?
As to compare Wilf and Don is slightly tricky due mainly as WZ is more pleasing to the eye with his trickery but nowhere near a finisher like the elegant player Don Rogers was, who was a more direct type winger with skill but also a superb finisher which made him a rarity.

Although he was my hero at the time for Palace I think even I always thought of him as being a Swindon player that we now had because he played for and stuck with them for so long.

davech
19-09-2017, 04:07 PM

And for me too. And, yes, it was Arsenal, on a cabbage patch of a Wembley pitch.

Owngoal
19-09-2017, 04:38 PM
If anyone not there at the time saw the Don doing his classic goals such as the slaughter of Man U they would not talk about any other Palace player. He was that good and I love Wilf

SE25 exile
19-09-2017, 04:48 PM

Have to agree with all this. He was so comfortable on the ball and a wonderful and calm finisher. He just oozed class, and I was lucky enough to witness live. all his matches for us at home, including that Man U match on the video above. Great and heady days.

917L
19-09-2017, 04:51 PM
My late dad always said that Don could 'walk on water'.

I was fortunate enough to see him, and was at the 5-0 and the Stoke goal of the season games.

Not sure he was that quick, especially by todays standards, but he could just drop a shoulder and leave the full back swinging at fresh air. The fact he could finish was a bonus

A joy to watch

Dave McGregor
19-09-2017, 04:59 PM
D3QRi_oQ9mU

That brought a tear to my eye. I was there that day. That to me is why I love this club. A real football club with no pretensions. Just a local club supported by local people.

montrealeagle
19-09-2017, 05:28 PM
Anyone who saw Don Rogers score against Everton, Man U, Stoke etc. will never forget it. But to be fair I think the best of Wilf Zaha is still to come. Let's hope he does it in a Palace shirt.

Nigelbrag
19-09-2017, 05:36 PM
Two brilliant wingers, but who is the best?

What have you done Darzet rekindling such wonderful memories that so many of us long for again, but sadly will never see with this Palace lot.:wallbash::)

Nigelbrag
19-09-2017, 05:46 PM
Although he was my hero at the time for Palace I think even I always thought of him as being a Swindon player that we now had because he played for and stuck with them for so long.

You are right Martin, he always was a "Swindon" boy and i believe always said so and probably only joined due to Bert Head as "davech" had mentioned. Very similar scenario to Matt le Tissier when he stayed loyal to Southampton eventhough he could have joined Man Utd and many others.

Lee sinnots ear
19-09-2017, 06:07 PM

Agreed Wilf on the right Don on the left servicing Wright and Bright what a combination that would be:lux::lux:

big bad John
19-09-2017, 06:16 PM
Agreed Wilf on the right Don on the left servicing Wright and Bright what a combination that would be:lux::lux:

Hate to say it, but Peter Taylor was better than both of them.

charltonhater
19-09-2017, 09:49 PM
For a 33 year old, impossible to compare really.

I never saw Don live but certainly tried to replicate that goal v manure in the 5-0 numerous times after seeing it on the "Greatest / Classic Games".
Have seen Wilf 150+ times live, love him to bits but can't think I've ever tried to replicate any of his goals. But that's probably an age thing.

davech
19-09-2017, 09:58 PM
For a 33 year old, impossible to compare really.

I never saw Don live but certainly tried to replicate that goal v manure in the 5-0 numerous times after seeing it on the "Greatest / Classic Games".
Have seen Wilf 150+ times live, love him to bits but can't think I've ever tried to replicate any of his goals. But that's probably an age thing.

I assume you mean the one where he put the ball one side of Stepney, ran round the other and squeezed it in from a tight angle in the mud? Pele tried that in perfect conditions and nowhere near as tight an angle in the 1970 World Cup and missed!

DARZET EAGLE
19-09-2017, 10:02 PM
D3QRi_oQ9mU

What a result, what a memory, what a team...nuff said.

DARZET EAGLE
19-09-2017, 10:09 PM
What have you done Darzet rekindling such wonderful memories that so many of us long for again, but sadly will never see with this Palace lot.:wallbash::)

Sorry Nigel, as Montreal Eagle said, the best is to come from Wilf so who knows. Hopefully we can get in some 'Don Rogers:lux:' from somewhere to help the cause.

DARZET EAGLE
19-09-2017, 10:10 PM
Hate to say it, but Peter Taylor was better than both of them.

He was good but not that good in my opinion.:eek:

davech
19-09-2017, 10:26 PM
Different times.

Not sure how Wilf would last against some of the thuggish full backs and centre halfs back in the day.
One on one Don was a star player. I started going to see Palace as we slid down from the 1st to the 3rd divisions. Hardly won a game. Don was the reason I kept going back. A dream to watch.

Which reminds me. In the game v Leeds that same season, John Craven (RIP, John :() put us two up with his second of the game just before half time. Norman "Bites yer legs" Hunter lined up at centre forward for the restart, made a bee-line for John and took him out with an horrific over-the-top tackle that saw Craven substituted. Hunter was not even booked, iirc. After the game, he was quoted as saying, "He had scored twice - we couldn't risk him getting a third", Leeds came back to draw 2-2.

boxthorncutter
19-09-2017, 10:45 PM
Which reminds me. In the game v Leeds that same season, John Craven (RIP, John :() put us two up with his second of the game just before half time. Norman "Bites yer legs" Hunter lined up at centre forward for the restart, made a bee-line for John and took him out with an horrific over-the-top tackle that saw Craven substituted. Hunter was not even booked, iirc. After the game, he was quoted as saying, "He had scored twice - we couldn't risk him getting a third", Leeds came back to draw 2-2.

Savages.

Their fall from grace is karma.

big bad John
19-09-2017, 11:05 PM
What a result, what a memory, what a team...nuff said.

Up to that point the best team we ever had, but we still went down that season

davech
19-09-2017, 11:22 PM
Up to that point the best team we ever had, but we still went down that season

Sadly, yes. And again the season after that. Best not to dwell on that, though.

DocSavage
22-09-2017, 09:01 AM
Different era different styles. Don direct and fast, Wilf tricky fast but polo defences far more organised. Equal in my view and suited to their eras both make me sit up when on the ball

M3 Eagle
22-09-2017, 06:09 PM
Don and Wilf were/are incredible and Taylor too but what about Vince. For me he was the best of the lot.

Payroll Legend
22-09-2017, 06:22 PM
Don and Wilf were/are incredible and Taylor too but what about Vince. For me he was the best of the lot.

Vince was my hero as a kid. The buzz of the crowd when he got the ball was fantastic. Unbelievable balance and close control. Would sometimes hold the ball too long and end up dribbling the width of the pitch but a great entertainer.

Didn't fulfil his potential really.

Palace Dan
22-09-2017, 06:29 PM
Vince was my hero as a kid. The buzz of the crowd when he got the ball was fantastic. Unbelievable balance and close control. Would sometimes hold the ball too long and end up dribbling the width of the pitch but a great entertainer.

Didn't fulfil his potential really.

Great post. Also particularly impressive given that his artistry was pretty rare at the time given the stodginess of pitches etc. A total joy to watch was Vince....

DocSavage
22-09-2017, 06:35 PM
That brought a tear to my eye. I was there that day. That to me is why I love this club. A real football club with no pretensions. Just a local club supported by local people.

privileged to see him and met lots of swindon fans who became palace fans when he moved

i understand that he may still be running a sports shop in swindon?

DARZET EAGLE
22-09-2017, 10:16 PM
Whilst Vince Hilaire was a nugget for Palace, particularly as he came through our juniors as they were known, he didn't quite fulfil his potential scoring 29 goals in 255 appearances and then moving on briefly to luton, and then Portsmouth where he stayed for four seasons, followed by moves to Leeds and Stoke amongst others. He made 9 appearances for England under 21 whilst with us.

I Am No. 6
01-10-2017, 02:02 PM
Different times.

Good point. Rogers must have played against thugs like Ron Harris (still on my personal black-list for what he did to John Loughlan at Stamford Bridge, I don't think Loughlan ever fully recovered from that leg-break).

I once saw Rogers play for Swindon v Oxford at Headington, he was booed and vilified at every touch. Nothing he did for Palace could have been as hard as that.