PDA

View Full Version : Player Ratings And Reviews: Huddersfield (cup)

glaziers fan
19-09-2017, 08:44 PM
Saw a bit of Periscope/YouTube in first half. Did Souare play left back when he came on or did PVA stay there? Looked like a training match today. Or even a pre-season friendly but I'll take that. No injuries hopefully.

mrB
19-09-2017, 08:54 PM
Saw nothing- but a clean sheet so I guess sakho was immense

cpfcfan1
19-09-2017, 08:56 PM
Speroni needs to start

Sakho and tomkins cb

Riderwield holding

Sako looked good

Kirby
19-09-2017, 08:59 PM
From what I saw Speroni made some decent saves, Sakho looked as composed as ever and Riedewald looked surprisingly good in midfield.

Big Gav
19-09-2017, 09:00 PM
Speroni needs to start

Sakho and tomkins cb

Riderwield holding

Sako looked good

Agree especially about Riderwield. With him Luka and RLC we would have some real power in centre midfield

TheMexicanHorse
19-09-2017, 09:00 PM
Vast improvement on Saturday.
Thought Schlupp did well first half.
Papa Fred didn't do anything of note
Sakho was his usual commanding self , best passer of the ball at the club?
Townsend flattered to decieve, poor final product

jobiinthelastmi
19-09-2017, 09:01 PM
Hennessey 10

Thanks for not playing Wayne and giving us a chance of progression in the cup

St.AlbansEagle
19-09-2017, 09:02 PM
Well I was there.

Sakho and Luka the stand out players. Tompkins also good and should be challenging Dann.

Souare played at LB when he came on and actually looked like a left back - made a nice change.

Jairo looks promising but inexperienced - 5 good passes and then 1 poor one.

Everyone else was ok but not great. Oh and we need a new RB although I'm hoping TFM will play there.

Crowd was small but loud and a fun night out for those who went.

jimmy the gent
19-09-2017, 09:03 PM
Agree especially about Riderwield. With him Luka and RLC we would have some real power in centre midfield

If Hennessey and Puncheon start on the weekend i may cry.

Martin H
19-09-2017, 09:03 PM
From what I saw Speroni made some decent saves, Sakho looked as composed as ever and Riedewald looked surprisingly good in midfield.

I was only listening but it sounded like he set up one of the shots himself but then made a great save. Different 😀 Good to see him get a game and make some saves. Soaure even more so and of course the mighty Sakho and his shorter brother Sako. :D

chrisophiex
19-09-2017, 09:07 PM

I'll get the tissues ready ( not like that ).

Jim Cannons Moustache
19-09-2017, 09:15 PM
Sakho good and looked pretty fit to me.
Tomkins should partner him on Saturday, not sure what he did to get dropped to start with

Luka was excellent first half less so 2nd but again must play at the weekend.

Sako actually was decent but isn't a centre forward and not an alternative if benteke gets crocked

Other than that it was what we know.
Souare was moving well which is the best you can hope for after such an injury.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
19-09-2017, 09:18 PM
Tomkins should partner him on Saturday, not sure what he did to get dropped to start with

Sako actually was decent but isn't a centre forward and not an alternative if benteke gets crocked

Got injured (again)

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
19-09-2017, 09:20 PM
What formation did we actually play? Who was full back out of PVA/ Schlupp?
Where did Lee play?

Davy64
19-09-2017, 09:20 PM
Well I was there.

Sakho and Luka the stand out players. Tompkins also good and should be challenging Dann.

Souare played at LB when he came on and actually looked like a left back - made a nice change.

Jairo looks promising but inexperienced - 5 good passes and then 1 poor one.

Everyone else was ok but not great. Oh and we need a new RB although I'm hoping TFM will play there.

Crowd was small but loud and a fun night out for those who went.

Yeah all the whingers stayed at home

Jim Cannons Moustache
19-09-2017, 09:26 PM
Where did Lee play?

4-4-2-0 Is the best I can describe it.
Lee and Sako were up front ish but neither played as a centre forward.

Ryan_the_eagle
19-09-2017, 09:30 PM
Just got back. Much better performance although clearly a step down from a league game. Looked very good first half and we're creating opportunities.

Sakho is a rock in defence. Everyone looks much more assured with him there and he mops up most mistakes when they happen.

Speroni done well in goal other than the odd poor kick, although he wasn't hugely tested.

Souare done well when he came on considering what happened, but is probably a couple of months away from being contending to start. Can see him making the odd appearance off the bench though.

Bakery and Lee were decent in spells with the former grabbing the goal. Can't really see either featuring in the prem. Sako has the touch and possibly the ability to get there but fitness is severely lacking.

Other than that all decent enough performances. Could see what Roy is trying to do starting to come through. We looked happy to retain possesion but we always looking to move forward with the ball. We were rarely troubled and we're the better team for a good 60 mins. After that the whole team looked incredibly unfit and we just about managed to cling on, but plenty of positives.

Ryan_the_eagle
19-09-2017, 09:31 PM
4-4-2-0 Is the best I can describe it.
Lee and Sako were up front ish but neither played as a centre forward.

To me it looked like we were rotating the two in striker. I can only assume to give each of them a rest up front every now and then.

Excowboy
19-09-2017, 09:33 PM
From the stream it looked something like

----- ---------Speroni ----- --------
Kelly - Tomkins - Sakho - Van Aanholt
------ Milivojevic - Reidewald ----------
Townsend --- Lee --------- Schlupp
---------------- Sako ---------------------

mb23
19-09-2017, 09:34 PM
Was at the match. Mama was top class. He's could be the difference in keeping us up. Will give the squad a huge boost.

NorthPalace23
19-09-2017, 09:35 PM
Speroni 7 Solid. A few dodgy kicks though.

Kelly 5 A few poor passes and there was trouble down his side.
Tomkins 7 I'm a fan. He forms a great partnership with Sakho.
Sakho 8 Motm. Calm. Assured. Won headers, tackled well. Get him in the 1st team and keep him there. If he plays 33 pl games we stay up.
Pva 6 Got forward well. Looked sharper than before.

Townsend 7 Great assist with the corner. A lack of end product at times. Lively and worked hard.
Milivojevic 7 Get him in the 1st team and drop Puncheon! Back to his best at times.
Reidewald 7 I was impressed. He looks much more like a midfielder than a centre back
Lee 6 Worked hard and passes well at times. Sometimes a little lightweight.
Schlupp 6 Made a few positive forward runs.

Sako 7 Nice goal. Did better than I thought he would.

Subs:

Souare 6 A few moments he passed back instead of going forward. Nice to have him back of course.
Delaney 6 Steadied the ship. Nice to have him back.
Cabaye 6 Good shot at the end.

boxthorncutter
19-09-2017, 09:36 PM
Saw a bit of Periscope/YouTube in first half. Did Souare play left back when he came on or did PVA stay there? Looked like a training match today. Or even a pre-season friendly but I'll take that. No injuries hopefully.

Souare at LB.

Reg_Maudling
19-09-2017, 09:37 PM
I have to say

Even though against huddersfield reserves

Sakho looked class

Reg_Maudling
19-09-2017, 09:39 PM
And sako surpisngly decent at holding up and linking play

Although faded a bit second half

Riedevald looks not strong enough for English football at the moment

In these league cup matches cy Lee and Kelly look decent players so I enjoy them

Reg_Maudling
19-09-2017, 09:41 PM
We need a bit of physicla strength and height in the middle with macarthuir pucnheon and cabaye we are too small in midfield

boxthorncutter
19-09-2017, 09:42 PM
Liked the look of us with two defensive midfeilders in the middle. Not sure if we need two every game, but either one of Luka or Jairo must start every game. Don't want to see the likes of Cabaye/Macca/Punch try to play that role again.

Speroni is our no 1 goalkeeper, he should start next game.

We really need a better ACM than either Puncheon or Lee. Be audacious and bid for Coutinho in Jan. Nothing to lose.

minch1
19-09-2017, 09:55 PM
Very impressed with Bakery Sakho up front. Thought he had a great game. Best yet. Didn't really get the support from midfield in the second half. But his link up play was better than Benteke's.
Julian, Sakho, PVA , Soare and Sako all stood out. CYL worked hard. Reidewald grew into the game. Townsend and Schlupp never really got going. The good thing about Sakho is he can take the ball on the ground so he wasn't getting high balls pumped at him all the time like Benteke does. I thought Sako looked unfit on Saturday but tonight he proved me wrong, he really put a shift in. Good win.

Neckinger Eagle
19-09-2017, 09:56 PM
Makes a change to actually enjoy a game of football at Selhurst.

I think Roy would have learned one or two things. Schlupp is better pushed further forward into midfield than PVA. Papa is the best full back of the three even after a year out.

Jairo did well in the first half. He doesn't look like a centre back to me, he looks much more useful in midfield. He tired in the second half and he wasn't helped by Luka's stupid booking, after which Huddersfield gain the upper hand, because Luka stopped tackling.

I like to give Kelly the benefit of the doubt because he tries hard, but today he was just poor. Huddersfield seemed to be targeting that flank. I hope TFM is lined up to be right back because it is now our weakest position (til Benteke gets injured).

Similarly, Chungy was poor. I can't see him getting much game time. He just doesn't fit in any formation.

Sakho is terrific. I'm sceptical that it was money well spent when we are short elsewhere in the team but he was a rock at the back, as was Tompkins.

I voted Sako MoM though, because I just enjoyed the fact he was being a bit flashy, and because he's often a figure of hate on the BBS.

Ryan_the_eagle
19-09-2017, 09:57 PM
Liked the look of us with two defensive midfeilders in the middle. Not sure if we need two every game, but either one of Luka or Jairo must start every game. Don't want to see the likes of Cabaye/Macca/Punch try to play that role again.

Speroni is our no 1 goalkeeper, he should start next game.

We really need a better ACM than either Puncheon or Lee. Be audacious and bid for Coutinho in Jan. Nothing to lose.

Cabaye and RLC will occupy that role for the rest of the season surely. With Puncheon off the bench. Schlupp and Van Aarnholt on the left is a must on Saturday.

Catford Eagle
19-09-2017, 10:00 PM
Quite enjoyable for a change. Particularly impressed with Mama controlling the ball with his todger while sitting on the floor... not that I'm making any comment on its size, if Kick It Out are reading.

glaziers fan
19-09-2017, 10:01 PM
Sako probably needs a run of games to get fit. Our problem is can we afford that luxury? If he plays wide he will probably fail to support the full back enough. If he plays up front he will be too slow as a partner for Benteke. It's a tough one because I'd like to see him given a chance as he is obviously talented when fit.

Superb run out for the lads though and great to use all 3 left backs on the left. Also superb to see Sakho back, and Riedewald back in the midfield with Luka. Hodgson has played a blinder, promoting genuine competition for the first XI. Will be interesting to see what he does for the Man City game.

aj4england
19-09-2017, 10:15 PM
Sako probably needs a run of games to get fit. Our problem is can we afford that luxury? If he plays wide he will probably fail to support the full back enough. If he plays up front he will be too slow as a partner for Benteke. It's a tough one because I'd like to see him given a chance as he is obviously talented when fit.

Superb run out for the lads though and great to use all 3 left backs on the left. Also superb to see Sakho back, and Riedewald back in the midfield with Luka. Hodgson has played a blinder, promoting genuine competition for the first XI. Will be interesting to see what he does for the Man City game.

Agreed . More energy in midfield , Sako looked bothered and did pretty well. Jairo a very tidy and more mobile player in midfield . Well done passing was considerably better , some nice moves put together . Ref rubbish . Sakho the guvnor . We had 3 or 4 bookings to their none !!

teesdale99
19-09-2017, 10:20 PM
Cabaye and RLC will occupy that role for the rest of the season surely. With Puncheon off the bench. Schlupp and Van Aarnholt on the left is a must on Saturday.
You would think so but puncheon will start.

bodger
19-09-2017, 10:20 PM
JS 5 would be more but poor kicking nearly cost us twice.
Kelly 7 first half 4 second so 6
Sakho 8 a class player
Tomkins 7 looks a perfect partner for Sakho
PVA 7 good link up play
Luka 6
Riedwald 7 good passing very promising
AT 7 works so hard very fit just that final ball grrrrr
Schlupp 7 good link up play
Lee 4 poor game
Sako 6 extra point for his goal far to slow to cause any problems other then set plays.

RH 5 missed a great chance to give at least two young players a start.

dave_who_ru
19-09-2017, 10:22 PM
Some good running off the ball and good passing movements particularly in the first half. It helped that we moved the ball much more quickly than Saturday.

Sakho hardly put a foot wrong until he tired after about an hour. He just seems to know where he is going to pass the ball before he receives it. A great steadying influence in defence.

Jules made a couple of smart saves but his kicking and distribution is poor.

Playing Chungy up front made me laugh when the first ball he received was way up in the air. Enthusiastic but lightweight.

Good to see Pape back but he did look off the pace.

I thought Townsend ran his socks off and he remained the main threat although his shooting was off target.

Sako looked lively at the start and maybe he still has a role to play.

The worry is that we don't have a replacement for Benteke and the goalkeeping position.

glaziers fan
19-09-2017, 10:29 PM
Puncheon was my man of the match by the way. That goal would not have been scored without all his off-the-field activities as the supreme club captain. He directly influenced that goal by boosting the morale of Bakary Sako.Well done Jason.

macstar
19-09-2017, 10:30 PM
clearly Punch and Hennessey need to be replaced by Speroni and Luka......but unfortunately it will not happen :-(

Martin H
19-09-2017, 10:31 PM
Puncheon was my man of the match by the way. That goal would not have been scored without all his off-the-field activities as the supreme club captain. Well done Jason.

You're not going to keep this up all year are you? :D

Mad Raschic Ken
19-09-2017, 10:35 PM
Enjoyed it tonight. It was a more pragmatic performance than we've seen this season. We looked very comfortable at the back and retained the ball for long periods.

Sakho is pure class and he ran the defence. His passing was quality too. As soon as he went off we looked less secure, although that did coincide with the introduction of Mooy. Luka and Riedewald in the centre of midfield formed a solid barrier and must surely be worth a go on Saturday.

I thought Sako really impressed. He looked a lot fitter and generally better than he's looked for ages. Possibly worth a go in Wilf's absence if he can be as committed as that. Townsend worked his socks off like he always does.

Overall tonight represented progress and, whilst this doesn't say a lot, it at least means I can travel to the Etihad on Saturday with as much confidence as I have in previous seasons!

cheekychippie
19-09-2017, 10:37 PM
just got back
some nice football played some nice passing and movement . as I said in a previous thread our strongest central back pairing is sakho and Tompkins and they looked good tonight .. luca has to be a certain starter ...
at last a enjoyable night of football at selhurst
COYP

Mad Raschic Ken
19-09-2017, 10:37 PM
Didn't mention Pape. I thought he was excellent in the circumstances. He made two vital clearances towards the end that ultimately won us the game. Great to see him back.

Glɑzier
19-09-2017, 10:38 PM
Very impressed with Bakery Sakho up front. Thought he had a great game. Best yet. Didn't really get the support from midfield in the second half. But his link up play was better than Benteke's.
Julian, Sakho, PVA , Soare and Sako all stood out. CYL worked hard. Reidewald grew into the game. Townsend and Schlupp never really got going. The good thing about Sakho is he can take the ball on the ground so he wasn't getting high balls pumped at him all the time like Benteke does. I thought Sako looked unfit on Saturday but tonight he proved me wrong, he really put a shift in. Good win.

Reidewald I had highish hopes for but I thought he got a bit anonymous as the game went on, whereas Townsend I thought was great overall. Funny how perceptions can completely differ like that.

Do agree with you and others that Sako didn't look too bad, but still needs to improve his fitness a fair bit, he just looked too slow to me. Sublime bit of skill in the first half to beat his man by flicking the ball against him though, he clearly is talented.

Reg_Maudling
19-09-2017, 10:38 PM
Make sakho captain now

glaziers fan
19-09-2017, 10:39 PM
You're not going to keep this up all year are you? :D

Hope not! Come on Roy, you've seen 2 more capable midfielders tonight by all reports. Please put us all out of our misery and drop the skipper. Was Sakho captain tonight does anyone know? Or Speroni?

Martin H
19-09-2017, 10:41 PM
Enjoyed it tonight. It was a more pragmatic performance than we've seen this season. We looked very comfortable at the back and retained the ball for long periods.

Sakho is pure class and he ran the defence. His passing was quality too. As soon as he went off we looked less secure, although that did coincide with the introduction of Mooy. Luka and Riedewald in the centre of midfield formed a solid barrier and must surely be worth a go on Saturday.

I thought Sako really impressed. He looked a lot fitter and generally better than he's looked for ages. Possibly worth a go in Wilf's absence if he can be as committed as that. Townsend worked his socks off like he always does.

Overall tonight represented progress and, whilst this doesn't say a lot, it at least means I can travel to the Etihad on Saturday with as much confidence as I have in previous seasons!

The BBC London commentators seemed to have been driven crazy by Townsend because he wouldn't take them on, on the outside and cross with his right and because he kept giving it away cheaply. They seemed a lot more frustrated with him than you do. When it works it's brilliant but when it doesn't it looks really lame I guess.

Mad Raschic Ken
19-09-2017, 10:43 PM
The BBC London commentators seemed to have been driven crazy by Townsend because he wouldn't take them on, on the outside and cross with his right and because he kept giving it away cheaply. They seemed a lot more frustrated with him than you do. When it works it's brilliant but when it doesn't it looks really lame I guess.

I think he's better on the left. It was his defensive work that stood out as much as anything. Great work rate, desire and fitness. Also, we didn't really have anyone to cross to!

cpfcben
19-09-2017, 10:43 PM
sakho outstanding. Jules was really poor.

Payroll Legend
19-09-2017, 10:44 PM
Wonder if Roy may start with Sako up front at the weekend. wasn't at the game but get the impression with him is that he needs to play to get fitter and better. I think there's a good player in there somewhere. First touch isn't great and he looks cumbersome but he's got a good delivery and great power in that left foot. He's strong and direct.

Martin H
19-09-2017, 10:44 PM
I think he's better on the left. It was his defensive work that stood out as much as anything. Great work rate, desire and fitness. Also, we didn't really have anyone to cross to!

LOL - that's true!

mulla64
19-09-2017, 10:45 PM
Hope not! Come on Roy, you've seen 2 more capable midfielders tonight by all reports. Please put us all out of our misery and drop the skipper. Was Sakho captain tonight does anyone know? Or Speroni?

Speroni

NorthPalace23
19-09-2017, 10:45 PM
just got back
some nice football played some nice passing and movement . as I said in a previous thread our strongest central back pairing is sakho and Tompkins and they looked good tonight .. luca has to be a certain starter ...
at last a enjoyable night of football at selhurst
COYP
Totally agree !!!!!!!!!!!!

TouchyAndalou
19-09-2017, 10:58 PM
We really need a better ACM than either Puncheon or Lee. Be audacious and bid for Coutinho in Jan. Nothing to lose. Shouldn't we be seeting our sights a little higher?

glaziers fan
19-09-2017, 11:01 PM
Speroni

Thanks.

AJ
19-09-2017, 11:02 PM
Both were rested tonight, i expect they may start on Sat.

Mad Raschic Ken
19-09-2017, 11:11 PM
Both were rested tonight, i expect they may start on Sat.

You're probably right, but you would like to think that Roy sent the players out tonight and told them to win a place in the first team. In my opinion, bearing in mind we've been so poor, a number of tonight's team put forward a decent case for starting on Saturday. I don't think it would be a bad message if he rewards them rather than just bringing back those that have been failing.

redsox
19-09-2017, 11:31 PM
If a man speaks in the woods where no woman can hear is he still wrong?

mcmean
19-09-2017, 11:33 PM
Where did Lee play?

Jules (7)

Kelly (6)
Tomkins (7)
Sako (9) /Damo (6)
PVA (6) /Papa (6)

Luka (7)
Jairo (7) /Cabaye (6)

Townsend (6)
Schlupp (5) /PVA (6)

Lee (4)
Sako (7)

Ian Hart
19-09-2017, 11:33 PM

Would that be the Coutinho that Liverpool rejected an offer of £80m for?

I'm sure Mr Parish would be delighted to top that offer. And I'm sure Mr Coutinho would be eager to join us rather than Barcelona ;)

Gregz41
19-09-2017, 11:50 PM
Very good performance first half. Our possession often looks awkward and disjointed, however tonight we looked composed showing nice incisive 1 or 2 touch passing. I read Hodgson likes his players to practice via repetition on passing to specific options and I think we saw evidence of that. 2nd half we tired, started to get sloppy and were generally 2nd to a lot. Fortunately for us, Huddersfield looked far less potent going forward and when they did on the opening day. When they did muster an attack, Sakho was there to step in.

Some nice partnerships on show linking up on the pitch as well. Luka and Riedewald had a nice steel about them in midfield. Sakho and Tomkins picked up where they left off. While Van Aanholt and Schlupp linked up well on the left.

Speroni 6.5 - Huddersfield didn't throw too much at him, but he was equal to it all. One poor kick in the 2nd half, but other than that, it was a fine performance.

Kelly 4 - Parish came out and said he was a squad player on the podcast. Very, very limited player. I can't think he'll feature much at all bar an injury crisis, we are stacked with defenders.
Tomkins 7 - Nice performance from James.
Sakho 9 - Excellent. Showing my perhaps young age, but he's hands down the best CB I've seen play for us.
Van Aanholt 7 - Good link up with Schlupp in the first half showing some neat touches.

Townsend 6.5 - Good corner for the goal. A little frustrating at times with decision making, but a good shift from Andros.
Reidewald 6.5 - Excellent first half, but faded and Huddersfield seemed to overrun the midfield.
Milivojevic 6 - Another good first half, but much sloppier in possession in the 2nd. Had to make a cynical foul after losing it in the last third as a result.
Schlupp 7 - Nice link up play with Van Aanholt in particular. They interchanged naturally and an all round good performance before being subbed at half time.

Sako 7 - Best game since his debut season. Admittedly, this isn't a huge accomplishment. Deployed up front he scored with a close range header, his general link up play was good, and also made some nice runs into the channel. Perhaps a temporary fix to the striker solution. His fitness did fade badly in the 2nd half.
Lee 5 - Some nice touches, but you never feel he's capable of producing a match winning moment. That goal against Stoke very much remains the exception.

Subs:
Souare 8 - Maybe I'm being overly generous here, however he looked like he loved every second of it and showed he wasn't there to make up the numbers. Some excellent defending when our defence was turned around, making some vital clearances.
Delaney 6 - Solid
Cabaye 6.5 - A calming influence to see out the game. Also had a nice shot late on which was saved.

As great as it was to see Sakho back, tonight belonged to Souare. Welcome back Pape, welcome home.

Going forward it will be interesting to see if Roy continues with 4411 or switches to a 433. I hope he sees that we clearly have better options than Ward, Kelly, Mcarthur and Puncheon to be starting games with.

racehorse-80s
19-09-2017, 11:54 PM
Looking at the poll we need to sign some more Sakho's or Sako's to be safe .

Sick Bucket
20-09-2017, 06:33 AM
It was actually enjoyable watching Palace.

I'm been saying this forever but I think there's a good player in Sako. Someone suggested it already but I would think about playing Sako and Benteke in a 442, why not!? Ok maybe not in our next 3 games but in the future it would make sense to me.

Levski
20-09-2017, 06:57 AM
Who was captain last night? (got to be Sakho on Saturday if Puncheon is dropped?)

Terry16
20-09-2017, 07:15 AM
Enjoyment was had. I liked the bit where our striker decided to move outside the width of the 6 yard box. For 17 goals last year Benteke isn't half lazy. Striker runs down the channels, short and over the top creates so many more passages of play, and confusion for defenders. Another reason I like cup games, get to see something different with far less pressure.

Eagle Kneevil
20-09-2017, 07:34 AM

Hadi Sacko played for Leeds last night. He'll do?

Jerry Murphy's Fringe
20-09-2017, 07:37 AM
Glad I made the late decision to go, spurred by Sakho, Souare - and perversely our poor form, because I felt this was winnable. Overall, we could have easily lost and withstood a strong finish by HFTC.

What stood out was the disparity in skill across our team. Lee simply looked out of his depth, lightweight and constantly not quite where he should be. HFTC just ignored him, in the end.

The starting left side (PVA, Schlupp, Reidewalde) were impressive - confident, tricky and quick. Elsewhere, Townsend worked so hard and Luka is very assured on the ball, back in his natural habitat in front of Mama’ – although he did noticeably tire later in the match.

We played a narrow back 4 and were nearly undone around the wing more than once. A lot of playing out from the back producing dynamic counter-attacking in some cases, but others a bit sideways and concluding in a long ball sent in hope to where a target-man would have been.

The final 20 minutes were nervy, seeing Damo and Mooy join the pitch simultaneously did little to quell my growing unease. DD, as it turned out, was OK – shouted at people and hoofed a long-ball or two. Two very good interceptions by Souare dispelled any feeling of his appearance being sentimental.

The ref’ had a curious performance. I have been to a game for a while and do enjoy a bit of egg-chasing, so may be that’s why I was surprised by how little authority he had - and failed to sin bin the HFTC player for his deliberate use of the hand to intercept a pass with no intention to catch the ball, in the second half (or even blow for it at all!). Not quite sure how we accrued as many yellows, either.

Hard to get the result in context as I don’t know much about HFTC – but they really got on top in the last 20 mins and were out on their feet at the end. Elements of Palace came together well – but, in the interests of stating the obvious – we really need a “hold-up” guy up top – or another genuine attacking outlet.

If RLC, Wilf and Big Ben come in for Lee, Sako and Schlupp - I wonder what Puncheon will get up to on Saturday afternoon, trip round the Trafford centre?

Mad Raschic Ken
20-09-2017, 07:37 AM
Who was captain last night? (got to be Sakho on Saturday if Puncheon is dropped?)

Speroni.

Green Bin
20-09-2017, 07:49 AM
I actually thought Chungy played pretty well, since he was in a very advanced role, acting as a front pair with Sako. Think a smaller version of Chamakh, he did a heck of a lot of chasing down and for a small bloke he does put in a lot of aerial challenges. I accept that he probably doesn't pull off too many stunning long passes (but who does) or shots at goal, but he is busy in the J Williams sort of way (but obs not one of our own, so gets no credit for it) but set the tempo for keeping Huddersfield under pressure which was missing from the opening day game.

Sako looked half decent up front, and as an earlier poster said could work quite well with Benteke as a pair, if we play a fairly defensive 4 4 against some of the bigger teams...would certainly give oppositions CB's something more to think about.

Riedewald definitely grew into the game, and midfield is probably a good berth for him alongside Lukas, he moves the ball quickly, although the touch not quite there yet in this league, you can see he is thinking and moving.

PVA looked like a left back last night, Sakho was sublime, but tired towards the end and was starting to look untidy. Tomkins was assured, but Kelly was pretty poor, got beaten by their man so many times

Andrew Townsend was busy defensively and our best attacking threat, although he tried to do too much too often.

And of course great to see Pape back

Overall an enjoyable night with a vocal crowd...felt proper Palace

adman50
20-09-2017, 07:50 AM
Decent performance overall.

Surely the back line will have to comprise of Speroni, TFM, Tomkins, Sakho and PVA going forward...

Riedewald did a decent job in the middle and looked busy which to be honest put Puncheon to shame. Lee is a waste of space in all honesty.

Sako may come good just needs a run of games without getting injured.

Overall, it was a relatively comfortable night bar the final 15 when Mooy came on.

Davy64
20-09-2017, 07:57 AM
The thing with Sako is he has poor control when the ball at his feet in a confined space. He is most effective at quick one touch passing, running on to the ball or he has a bit of a space to work in.

Martin H
20-09-2017, 08:19 AM
Riedewald definitely grew into the game, and midfield is probably a good berth for him alongside Lukas, he moves the ball quickly, although the touch not quite there yet in this league, you can see he is thinking and moving.

Glad he got a game in the middle and looked good. The thing that stood out from all of the Ajax highlights was how quickly he moved the ball, long or short but always very accurately (but not just easy balls) and was always moving to make the next pass. A good example of how the passing game needn't be slow. Worst case, he gives us another option in the middle but hopefully he can add something to our midfield going forward and defending.

switchboard
20-09-2017, 08:26 AM

Why would Sakho be captain when he has played about 8 games for us?

glaziers fan
20-09-2017, 08:27 AM
Glad he got a game in the middle and looked good. The thing that stood out from all of the Ajax highlights was how quickly he moved the ball, long or short but always very accurately (but not just easy balls) and was always moving to make the next pass. A good example of how the passing game needn't be slow. Worst case, he gives us another option in the middle but hopefully he can add something to our midfield going forward and defending.

And he can put his foot in. My goodness, a guy who can tackle and pass in our midfield. Should be worthy to join the club; LM, YC and RLC are the only current members.

glaziers fan
20-09-2017, 08:32 AM
Why would Sakho be captain when he has played about 8 games for us?

Because he is one of our best players (worth his place), well respected by all the players and fans, plus demonstrates leadership qualities in every game he plays? Other than that, I have no idea why he should be considered.

The question is when, not if, he becomes captain. Or at least it should be. Personally, if I was Roy, I'd wait until after the Man Utd and Man City games; leave it as something up his sleeve to give the players a lift after we lose those 2 games. But that said, Puncheon shouldn't be starting again, so we will have to have another captain on the field and I can't think of a better candidate.

*CPFC*
20-09-2017, 08:40 AM
Beacuse he's amazing

GreatGonzo
20-09-2017, 08:52 AM
First things first this was pretty much a second string game, although i suspect far more of our players were knocking on the door to change that last night.

Speroni - 6 Couple of poor kicks and he struggles for distance on them but generally he had nothing to do came well to the edge of his box for 1 ball, hesitated and didn't come for another

Kelly - 5 Was reserve team game and so was ok for him, still tested a bit and not banging the door down, unlikely to make the 18 often if at all

Tomkins - 8 Had a good assured game, helped protect the keeper well and is surely battling Dann for a starting place

Sakho - 9 Best player on the pitch, quality and it is just a matter of how quickly he comes into the first XI. Played just over an hour so will he make Saturday? Should be on the bench at the very least now.

PVA - 7 Our good work down the left usually involved him and thought he was better than Schlupp but his defending is still the weaker part of his game, fortunately not so important last night. When he moved further forward he was good too.

Luka - 7 Let his temperament slip when the referee decided to be a cock and picked up a booking however he used the ball well, broke up play and should be starting in our midfield

Reidewald - 7 Impressed, hoped to see him in midfield and wasn't disappointed. We controlled the middle of the pitch with these 2 and the passing was quick and mostly accurate. Someone mentioned 5 good passes and then 1 poor one but then 83% is better than most of our players usually manage.

Townsend - 6 He got the assist but in a game like this he should be standout. Likes to cut inside too much and his first couple of shots were on target which was nice. Became more anonymous as the game went on IMO

CYL - 5 Fine at this level but there wasn't enough about him, some nice linking of play but he didn't get in good positions in the box and never looked a threat

Schlupp - 4 Was easy to forget he was playing most of the time, no attacking threat, didn't take up great positions and IMO wasted a really good opportunity to stake a claim that he could deputise for Wilf, nothing last night suggested he could. Rightly taken off

Sako - 6 Extra point as he scored the goal, worked hard and ran the channels well, at which point there was no one for him to cross too. Not enough of a threat against a 2nd string team to push for a 1st team place. Bench is the best he can hope for.

Souare - 8 Couple f really good interventions late on covering across from LB, looks like he still has pace and confidence following his lay-off. Couple of runs forward but overall think he staked his claim well for being 1st choice LB

Cabaye - 6 Came on for the tiring Reidewald and was well, Cabaye, played ok, nothing special but helped us see the game out.

Delaney - 5.5 Cannot say i really noticed him when he came on. Not sure is that is a good or bad thing.

Overall the thing i am taking away from this game is the questions to RH as to who he has in his team and squad for Saturday, who will go to Old Trafford? Then with the international break who is his best XI going into Chelsea and certainly Newcastle?

For me I still think Hennessey is the better keeper of our 2 and he would be far better protected by the likes of Souare, Sakho, Tomkins, TFM (moved to RB) Luka and Reidewald than he has been so far this season. I also don't think we lose much as an attacking force either. It would allow the attacking players more ability to get forward and support Benteke better. After last night my thoughts have changed as to our best XI

Hennessey
TFM - Tomkins - Sakho - Souare
Reidewald - Luka
Zaha --------- RLC ----- Townsend
Benteke
Subs: Speroni, Dann, PVA, Puncheon, Cabaye, Sako, Wickham

Question is how quickly and will we be able to get to a point where we can name that 18?

jimmy the gent
20-09-2017, 08:54 AM
Because he is one of our best players (worth his place), well respected by all the players and fans, plus demonstrates leadership qualities in every game he plays? Other than that, I have no idea why he should be considered.

The question is when, not if, he becomes captain. Or at least it should be. Personally, if I was Roy, I'd wait until after the Man Utd and Man City games; leave it as something up his sleeve to give the players a lift after we lose those 2 games. But that said, Puncheon shouldn't be starting again, so we will have to have another captain on the field and I can't think of a better candidate.

Born in Paris, not Penge. No chance.

cooperman
20-09-2017, 08:58 AM

jules was mon capitan (although why its not Luka is a bit beyond me) - now stop all this sarcastic nonsense GF - its getting tiresome; you are better then that, you've made your point about Punch, quite possibly he along with Pards, should have gone straight after the cup final but the facts are he didn't and despite his drop in pace and form since then, every Palace manager has played him consistently....( that doesn't mean i don't agree with you, FWIW had RLC been available to big sam i'd like to hope that he would have played alongside Luka and Cabaye)...

my scores (against a very half arsed Huddersfield side, who played like a training game at times; almost a parody of the hustling, aggressive and compact side that gave us a bloody nose on the first day of the season):

Jules - 6 - couple of smart saves, still bit iffy on crosses in crowded box (has never commanded), distribution was good apart from poor sliced kicks a few times under pressure - just standard Jules realy
Kelly 4- two of the poorest right back performances i've seen at selhurst in last two games, Kelly is all over the place at FB, he doesn't show the winger the outside or inside, out of the half dozen or so centre half's we now have in our squad he is at the foot of that list...
Tomkins - 7- imo the best partner for sakho, Mama seems to raise the game of those that play around him but JT seems to benefit the most - shame he has such a glass jaw
Sakho 8 - couple of wayward passes but the best player on the pitch by a country mile, one cushioned header under pressure back to keeper in first half was champions league class.
pva 6 - steady in first half, less effective in midfield 2nd half, not a natural defender as many have said so much better going forward, tbh if papa regains first team fitness out of our 3 LBs he would be the one i would sell in January
Luka 7 - feisty and slowly getting back to the level he was after January - should be captain IMO
Reideweld - 6 - i'm prepared to accept that (as probably the youngest member of our squad) therefore still learning both this league and his craft but are you telling me we didn't have a promising 18-20 year old in our u21's that couldn't do a similar job and not cost us 8 million ? yes a couple of neat 1 touches in first half but it was interesting because he and PVA were our left side that got targeted and battered in league game against Huddersfield and i wondered if their manager would target them again (he didn't have to really because kelly was playing i guess), both these two down the left flank are ok in a 3rd round minor cup game but would be totally outmuscled in the prem, my observations are for a young player he doesn't have the engine to get forward enough, couple of times we broke quickly with some neat one touch stuff and you would expect him (and others) busting lungs to get into the box but i didn't see that desire (i seem to recall he scored on his debut for Ajax but not much after that ?), his natural tendency is to go backwards with the pass, he tends to be a positional player rather than a man marker, too much yesterday falling into where he should be when they had the ball then man marking anyone (with the dutch possession schooling of retain the ball wasn't it ever thus so that the glass is half empty); thats exactly what cabaye did Saturday and how davies scored because we didn't go with the runner
schlupp 6 - tidy with some good touches came off half time
lee 7 - very busy player and some good touches but far too lightweight to be effective in the league, the sort of player that is probably outstanding in training sessions (because players are not going at 100% physically) scores all the goals, catches the eye etc but is a chocolate tea pot when its serious, for anybody who's played a lot of football we all know a lee, does well in training but pants in a match...
Townsend 7 - good in parts in terms of skills and helping but poor end product both halfs - tbh i'm just still not sure about andros, on his day runs hard chases down defenders puts a shift in and gets the crowd behind him but he is a one trick pony going forward on the right, cuts inside and has a shot like the goal he scored for england under woy, good defenders know its coming and when he does go outside his quality of crossing to benteke etc just isn't good enough - another confidence player ?
Sako 8- a lot better than Saturday, tbf ran the line, challenged a lot, got knocked about and took is goal well by getting in front of his marker, not the ideal back up striker to a premier league team but what else do we have ?

subs

papa 6 - great to see him back of course but a long way yet to go, good start but obviously rusty, sure he will improve and be the only legitimate LB in the squad
Delaney 6 - not a great deal to do - his first touch was an aimless 30 yard punt up the pitch, good that Woy had a look at so many
Cabaye - 7 - got forward more in time he was on than reidwald did in 75, had a shot saved

in my opinion Palace malaise is partly due to loss of identity, we used to be that soak up the pressure, attack on the break, fast wide men - bodies in the box brand, that got results but found it difficult to break others down at selhurst when teams came and played like us against us - then we tried the pards and FDB poundland tikki takka (quite frankly we didn't have and never recruited the right players to do this) with a sprinkling of big sam three centre halfs last 20 mins - respect the point pragmatism in between, Woys challenge is that we are now either one or the other ! there were times last night particularly first half when some nice one touch football had out foxed the opposition only to see the final ball played backwards to retain possession - this just doesn't suit us, we need to go forward...one of the only sensible things Pardew said when he joined was there wasn't a lot wrong but as Palace we had forgotten to put the ball under risk a bit more and that is exactly whats missing, the early cross into the box for benteke, have a few more shots, balls into the channels, play in their half, squeeze up quicker a la the pullis days, no fancy pants dwelling on the ball at the back, a bit more of the jedinak/delaney physicality about us then the didddy men running headless around in midfield and bloody movement from corners and throws !

switchboard
20-09-2017, 09:10 AM
Just to add a footnote, the singing section really worked in the middle, it sounded much louder.

Olympian2
20-09-2017, 09:10 AM

Sakho scored for West Ham last night. Sacko scored for Leeds.

Sign those two & we're almost halfway there.

sheepy
20-09-2017, 09:21 AM
My one takeout from the game. Sako really needs to be starting. Either in place of Benteke or more likely Punch.

Will give our team much more balance and attacking impetuous that has been lost without Zaha.

Also Lee should be the first player out the door. Physically he isnt strong enough against premier league players. His level is league one at best.

McpfcS
20-09-2017, 09:39 AM
My one takeout from the game. Sako really needs to be starting. Either in place of Benteke or more likely Punch.

Will give our team much more balance and attacking impetuous that has been lost without Zaha.

Also Lee should be the first player out the door. Physically he isnt strong enough against premier league players. His level is league one at best.

You've lost all credibility with that opening line. Sako should be no where near a PL first team that has any aspiration to stay in the league.

glaziers fan
20-09-2017, 09:44 AM
Born in Paris, not Penge. No chance.

:D

Sick Bucket
20-09-2017, 12:23 PM
You've lost all credibility with that opening line. Sako should be no where near a PL first team that has any aspiration to stay in the league.

Says who? what do you know about it?

I thought he worked his socks off, showed some good touches and scored a goal. Played better last night than Benteke our 'star striker' has all season.

aj4england
20-09-2017, 12:30 PM

I thought he worked his socks off, showed some good touches and scored a goal. Played better last night than Benteke our 'star striker' has all season.

Agreed. Been his biggest critic, but now his mate Sakho is back, we can expect to see these injuries clear up and performances return.

Agree regarding Lee. Not good enough. Stick RLC or Wilf in his role last night and we wouldve run riot.

Spindle
20-09-2017, 12:37 PM
Schlupp is far better defensively than in attack. He's fast but has no control on the ball when dribbling and doesn't know what to do with it. Overlapping fullback for first time cross, yes, but alternative to a winger, no. Defensively he's decent, tenacious and can tackle although he got completely fooled on Saturday for their winning goal - I know he just made an error there thinking that the Southampton player would go inside for a shooting angle, because he's easily capable of staying goalside.

Souare is the best fullback option for attacking work and he's probably the best crosser of the ball in the team. He's not much of a defender though, does get himself caught out and requires support from Wilf.

PVA I'm still unsure of. It might be that he blows hot and cold.

GreatGonzo
20-09-2017, 12:46 PM
Souare is the best fullback option for attacking work and he's probably the best crosser of the ball in the team. He's not much of a defender though, does get himself caught out and requires support from Wilf.

2 important covering challenges late on last night.

16eagles
20-09-2017, 02:12 PM
Was 442 we will play to banks off 4 all season now, But Roy obviously said top 2 to have free-ish roles last night.

waddoneagle
20-09-2017, 02:35 PM
https://scontent-lht6-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/21616535_10154919231571867_611116300195879638_n.jp g?oh=69af3c54f5eb2fb50d8de8c2d8353152&oe=5A3A8465

trufan
20-09-2017, 02:51 PM
Just to add a footnote, the singing section really worked in the middle, it sounded much louder.

Zombie Nation :p

Great effort from the HF. They led a night of brilliant support for a team which really needs it right now.

Presumably the topless look is their change kit from the usual all-black?

GreatGonzo
20-09-2017, 02:51 PM
Was 442 we will play to banks off 4 all season now, But Roy obviously said top 2 to have free-ish roles last night.

Disagree about it being 4-4-2

Looked far more 4-2-3-1.

McpfcS
20-09-2017, 02:53 PM

More than you - if you consider Sako good enough to play PL football.

pauldrulez
20-09-2017, 03:00 PM

He has the ability.

I wonder if he doesn't handle pressure very well. In friendlies and cup games, he looks a completely different player.

He looked hungry (no pun intended), interested and buzzed about. He also showed that he can pass a ball 20-30 yards along the floor, unlike some of our regular starters.

As for the rest of the team, if that team showed up on Saturday with Benteke, Loftus-Cheek and Fosu-Mensah included in place of Kelly, Lee and Sako, I'm not sure I'd be too bothered.

Speroni, TFM, Sakho, Tomkins, PVA, Luka, Jairo, RLC, Schlupp, Townsend, Benteke. Solid and capable of passing.

CPFC.1990
20-09-2017, 04:20 PM
https://scontent-lht6-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/21616535_10154919231571867_611116300195879638_n.jp g?oh=69af3c54f5eb2fb50d8de8c2d8353152&oe=5A3A8465

Cringe.

Green Bin
20-09-2017, 04:50 PM
He has the ability.

I wonder if he doesn't handle pressure very well. In friendlies and cup games, he looks a completely different player.

He looked hungry (no pun intended), interested and buzzed about. He also showed that he can pass a ball 20-30 yards along the floor, unlike some of our regular starters.

As for the rest of the team, if that team showed up on Saturday with Benteke, Loftus-Cheek and Fosu-Mensah included in place of Kelly, Lee and Sako, I'm not sure I'd be too bothered.

Speroni, TFM, Sakho, Tomkins, PVA, Luka, Jairo, RLC, Schlupp, Townsend, Benteke. Solid and capable of passing.

That's a good team

jackstacks
20-09-2017, 05:09 PM

I wasn't there. Could you expand? Were they in the middle of the Holmesdale End?

Focus of the loud fan base was always in the middle when I was a lad! Might be a very good idea to revert to this as it would possibly "involve" more of the others on either side of them. They always look a bit marginalised there in the corner to me.

jimmy the gent
20-09-2017, 05:12 PM
Cringe.

Young people having a laugh with their mates at football shocker!!! Quick let's sneer at it.

aashman12
20-09-2017, 05:20 PM

So he was decent but not an option??? How do you come to both conclusions

jimmy the gent
20-09-2017, 05:29 PM
Focus of the loud fan base was always in the middle when I was a lad! Might be a very good idea to revert to this as it would possibly "involve" more of the others on either side of them. They always look a bit marginalised there in the corner to me.

Agree, but there's already Season Ticket holders in the middle, so they couldn't change for league games

jackstacks
20-09-2017, 05:33 PM
Agree, but there's already Season Ticket holders in the middle, so they couldn't change for league games

One for the future though? Looked impressive when the main support was at the heart of the Holmesdale.

Jim Cannons Moustache
20-09-2017, 07:23 PM
So he was decent but not an option??? How do you come to both conclusions

He had a good game doing when doing the non centre forward things. I.e when pulling out wide and running with the ball.
Most of the 2nd half we were under pressure and needed a proper centre forward to hold it up and relieve the pressure - something we will need to do in most of our league games. That he cannot do.

Hope that makes sense

Sick Bucket
20-09-2017, 09:00 PM

Yeah well obviously me, half the BBS, whoever signed Sako originally and the likes of Roy Hodgson haven't got a clue have we?

:jerkit:

NYEagle
20-09-2017, 10:12 PM
Cringe.

At least they are supporting the team.

Green Bin
20-09-2017, 10:16 PM
One for the future though? Looked impressive when the main support was at the heart of the Holmesdale.

Agreed, I was sitting in the main stand, and that area looked great especially with the large flags out...The HF sort of get lost in the corner.

For a gate of around 6600 I really enjoyed the atmosphere yesterday

minch1
20-09-2017, 10:28 PM
Zombie Nation :p

Great effort from the HF. They led a night of brilliant support for a team which really needs it right now.

Presumably the topless look is their change kit from the usual all-black?

Yes agreed the HF were brilliant last night. Made it seem like a full crowd. Really good atmosphere plus the performance made for a good game.

jimmy the gent
20-09-2017, 11:48 PM

Not really, as season ticket holders in the middle will get first call on renewing their seats next season, so the block wouldn't be available en masse.

WLYWLYAWYPWF
21-09-2017, 12:52 AM

The Homoerotics

Nostrils
21-09-2017, 05:40 AM
The Homoerotics

:lux:

McpfcS
21-09-2017, 07:03 AM
Yeah well obviously me, half the BBS, whoever signed Sako originally and the likes of Roy Hodgson haven't got a clue have we?

:jerkit:

You think "half the BBS" consider Sako good enough to play Pl football? Fml

Roy picked him for a league cup game - let's see how much Pl time he gets...

Spindle
21-09-2017, 08:22 AM
Not really, as season ticket holders in the middle will get first call on renewing their seats next season, so the block wouldn't be available en masse.

They need to migrate piecemeal and still sing. Then the old bores will get fed up of them and eventually move.

If we ever get a new stand that is the time to do it though.

Scifo
21-09-2017, 08:31 AM
Watched the highlights on https://eagles.cpfc.co.uk/ and saw Sako do his ridiculous to the sublime again (or is it normally the other way round)

First I was screaming "you fat piece of shit" as he shonks the ball then lumbers after it. When he gets to the ball though he has a few lovely touches to create a good attack

(from 1 min 10)

https://eagles.cpfc.co.uk/view-carousel-video/?id=234654252

Jerry Murphy's Fringe
21-09-2017, 08:50 AM
Sako is a squad player for a lower half of the PL team, and that's how he looked. Not sure what his natural position is to be honest - but did OK on Tuesday. We have lower quality players than him.
I believe that if he was on £30k per week and had played more frequently he would sit comfortably in the "typical Palace players" camp.
I like that fact that he looks like he should be working the doors at a club & puts himself about the pitch.

Martin H
21-09-2017, 09:18 AM
The short highlights on the eagles site show a couple of nice moves with the ball being played through the middle and then out wide in the space created. Good to see Jairo and Sako involved in that too. Surprised that by now matches aren't available after the event from somewhere as a full download to drive income etc. Same with Premier matches TBH. Not sure what they think they are protecting, whoever 'they' are.

Davy64
21-09-2017, 09:31 AM
Cringe.

Why do you actually bother?

laggin
21-09-2017, 04:02 PM
I thought it was a fair performance and positive atmosphere for such a small crowd, the HF should permanently be in block E, it made for good consistent noise. I know this can't be the case for league games due to ST Holders but it's something that should be looked into for the future

Sick Bucket
21-09-2017, 04:18 PM
You think "half the BBS" consider Sako good enough to play Pl football? Fml

Roy picked him for a league cup game - let's see how much Pl time he gets...

I don't know why I'm bothering to argue with you, I think it's the annoying way you state your opinions as facts. As if you know what you're talking about. I guess you do it for the attention.

16eagles
22-09-2017, 08:31 PM
Disagree about it being 4-4-2

Looked far more 4-2-3-1.

4231 means the wide players have a bit more freedom. That is and will not be the case with Roy.