PDA

View Full Version : Suggested Team and Formation For: Man City (away)

Mad Raschic Ken
19-09-2017, 10:40 PM
Speroni

Fosu-Mensah
Schlupp
Sakho
Tomkins

Milivojevic
Riedewald
Loftus-Cheek

Townsend
Benteke
Sako

Subs: Hennessey, Ward, Dann, Puncheon, Cabaye, Van Aanholt, Kaikai

Glɑzier
19-09-2017, 10:49 PM
I just don't get how everyone thought reidewald was that good. It's funny before he played today I thought he looked like he could be quite good and everyone seemed to think he was rubbish, now our opinions are reversed.

Cabaye for JR and you have a good formation I reckon.

Mad Raschic Ken
19-09-2017, 10:51 PM
I just don't get how everyone thought reidewald was that good. It's funny before he played today I thought he looked like he could be quite good and everyone seemed to think he was rubbish, now our opinions are reversed.

I certainly wouldn't object to Cabaye instead of him, but I think think we need to be big and strong at City and I thought Riedewald did enough to get a chance. We've got nothing to lose up there!

Reg_Maudling
19-09-2017, 10:54 PM
Riedevald was not that good today in my opinion he is as yet not strong enough for English football

glaziers fan
19-09-2017, 10:54 PM
-----------------------Hennessey-------------------------
TFM---------------Dann-------Sakho (c)------------Schlupp
Townsend-------Luka-----Riedewald-------------Sako
------------------------RLC--------------------------------
------------------------Benteke---------------------------

Subs:

Speroni
PVA
Ward
Tomkins
Cabaye
Puncheon
McArthur

I have selected the following because:

1) Obviously we want to keep it as tight as possible for as long as possible. RLC can track back and join in to make it a 4-5-1, but also has the energy to get close to Benteke, which will be important if we want to counter. And we do.

2) Hennessey in goal because he is better than a 38 year old Speroni. A Julian Speroni 4 years ago, yes I'd swap them, but we can't let sentiment rule the decision. Just because we need a new keeper, doesn't mean Julian is an improvement. Sorry Julian

3) Schlupp at left back, just for continuity. And he is the quickest out of the 3, which is an important consideration when facing Man City. I think his place is coming under serious pressure. I am a fan of PVA, but the issue with him is that he is not good enough in the air to play in a 4 imho, and the real competition will come from Pape Souare. PS has linked well with Zaha in the past, but more importantly he can actually cross a ball above knee height, which the other 2 seem unable to do. He could supply Benteke in the future with some decent balls in, but for now should be given more time to recover peak fitness, and start the next cup game.

4) Sakho comes straight back in, and is a natural captain. It doesn't matter if he was born in Paris rather than Croydon, he is the right choice to be captain for so many reasons. The best centre back I've ever seen at Palace.

5) Scott Dann is possibly a controversial selection, but I don't think he has defended at all badly this season. Yes, he is slow, but that won't be a problem because we will be deep. I'd like to see him next to Sakho. He is good in the tackle, his distribution is good, but it is his aerial strength, especially in their box, that gives him the nod over Tomkins. That said, it's a very close call.

6) TFM at right back, to finally give us some pace defending this flank. Sorry Joel, your time has been and gone. Hopefully Ward will be a good squad player., but I am excited to see TFM here: his distribution is good, he can cover Dann with his pace, and hopefully get forward on occasion too.

7) Milivojevic had some stinkers under FdB, but that was probably because he was played out of position all pre-season. He performed with aplomb last season. He can defend, and he can play too. His passing is actually very good normally. He should be our first choice centre mid.

8) Riedewald would give us natural balance left side centre mid with his left foot. He's got the mobility, tackling ability and passing ability to play there. It's harsh on Cabaye, but Yohan was below par vs Southampton I felt, and it is right that all those who have underperformed should be treated equally. I agree with those who say that Puncheon wasn't necessarily the worst midfielder in the last few games. Yes, he's been consistently poor, and overall the worst of the regular starters this season, but we shouldn't overlook the poor form of McArthur and others. Hopefully Cabaye can contribute from the bench, and put big pressure on Jairo.

9) Townsend should start because whilst his end product has been poor so far, he is more than capable, and even when he has a bad game on the ball he always puts in a massive shift for the team. Hodgson has said he wants players who will die for cause. Andros is one of them who will.

10) Bakary Sako is not fully fit, and he needs a run of games to get fit taking into account his natural build, but at the moment there is no-one to play left side of midfield in the 4-4-1-1 (or 4-4-2) that Roy wants to play. He is left footed, can whip in a good cross, and is always a goal threat with his booming shot. As long as he is prepared to run for the team he should get a chance to show what he can do. Would give us natural balance, and he is decent in the air which will be useful in both boxes. Zaha's injury gives him the perfect opportunity.

11) Benteke up front because in the absence of Wickham there is no-one else. Want to see him work harder, but I still believe he is a good finisher. Once the first one goes in he will be back on track for 15-20 goals for the season. Superb in the air. Just needs more service, both from out wide and also balls below head height when asked to hold it up.

It feels like only now we have a squad approaching fitness. So many people coming back that have been injured at some point since pre-season: Souare, Sakho, Tomkins, McArthur, Cabaye, Riedewald RLC, Sako, Zaha and Wickham, with only the latter 2 still not quite there. With a thin squad with very little strength in depth it is no wonder that these injuries decimated our chances under FdB. Hodgson is a lucky man to have a squad approaching full fitness. He has some lovely selection headaches to consider over the coming days.

jobiinthelastmi
19-09-2017, 10:56 PM
Drop Hennessey, Ward and Dann

Big Gav
19-09-2017, 11:02 PM
GK Hennnessey
RB TFM
LB PVA
CB Sakho
CB Tomkins
MID RLC, Townsend, Luka, Cabaye, Schlupp
ST Benteke

Subs: Riedewald, Dann, Speroni, Sako, Ward , Puncheon, Kaikai

Lougz
19-09-2017, 11:33 PM
Speroni

Fosu-Mensah
Schlupp
Sakho
Tomkins

Milivojevic
Riedewald
Loftus-Cheek

Townsend
Benteke
Sako

Subs: Hennessey, Ward, Dann, Puncheon, Cabaye, Van Aanholt, Kaikai

Team picks itself :p

We need a left footed and a right footed centre half pairing and also the same in defensive midfield. It brings balance to the team which will also improve or shape defensively and we will be a more effective unit.

CPFC_Fan
19-09-2017, 11:39 PM
TFM---------------Dann-------Sakho------------Schlupp
Townsend----Cabaye---Luka-----Riedewald-----RLC

Keep it as tight as possible for as long as possible.

This would be my choice too. Maybe RLC over Riedewald though.

bigend1
20-09-2017, 03:10 AM
TFM---------------Dann-------Sakho-------------PVA
Townsend----Cabaye---Luka-----RLC-----------Schlupp

Sit tight and hit on the break. Loads of pace on the wings will be a threat and hopefully keep city's wing backs deeper due to the threat. Schlupp and Townsend both have the pace and engine to get back between the full backs and centerbacks too.

All three midfielders can be fluid and support the attack or defend but with Luka primarily in front of the back four.

I think the threat of pace on the break is key without zaha for the next three games. It'll prevent the wing backs pressing into our half too much. If it doesn't they will be playing to our strengths

If Jairo was as good as he sounded last night he can relieve cabaye for the last 20 mins because we need an all action 70 from yohan to get anything

GorBlimey
20-09-2017, 04:02 AM
Riedevald was not that good today in my opinion he is as yet not strong enough for English football

In that case, give him a chance in a game we're slated to lose.

Who knows what will happen.

WLYWLYAWYPWF
20-09-2017, 05:30 AM

Strong enough? He's a grown f*cking man who has played full International football. Don't get strong mixed up with good or determined. 8 million quid plus wages for a player not strong enough. Need to start putting a few strength tests in the medical if that's all 8 mill gets you these days. :D

Palacebear
20-09-2017, 05:50 AM

I would start YC as we need to keep it as tight as possible, but JR should get a decent substitutes appearance, but I agree with comment this as well.

chelmsfordeagle
20-09-2017, 06:15 AM
TFM---------------Dann-------Sakho------------Schlupp
Townsend----Cabaye---Luka-----Riedewald-----RLC

Keep it as tight as possible for as long as possible.

this.

New LP
20-09-2017, 06:16 AM

Yeah great idea, then we'll definitely lose and it will probably damage his confidence as well.

gilesy14
20-09-2017, 06:22 AM
Tomkins > Dann

newish eagle
20-09-2017, 06:54 AM
Speroni

Sakho
Sakho
Tomkins
Sakho

Luka
Sakho
Sakho
Sakho

Townsend
Sako

cpfcfan1
20-09-2017, 06:57 AM
Id go

Speroni

Tfm dann sakho sclhupp

Milo cabaye

Townsend rlc sako

Benteke

What i expect

Hen

Ward dann tomkins schlupp

Milo cabaye

Towsend rlc punch

Benteke

teesdale99
20-09-2017, 07:04 AM

Sit tight and hit on the break. Loads of pace on the wings will be a threat and hopefully keep city's wing backs deeper due to the threat. Schlupp and Townsend both have the pace and engine to get back between the full backs and centerbacks too.

All three midfielders can be fluid and support the attack or defend but with Luka primarily in front of the back four.

I think the threat of pace on the break is key without zaha for the next three games. It'll prevent the wing backs pressing into our half too much. If it doesn't they will be playing to our strengths

If Jairo was as good as he sounded last night he can relieve cabaye for the last 20 mins because we need an all action 70 from yohan to get anything
This is the best team we can put out at the moment. I can't believe anyone is suggestion reidewald should play over cabaye. Same for sako - can't really pick him on the back of one half decent game against a reserve team. And Kyle walker would run him into the ground after 20 mins.

The reality is that puncheon will start - it's just a case of whether he is picked on the left again or moved into the centre to play alongside Luka and rlc, relegating cabaye to the bench.

JDawg
20-09-2017, 07:23 AM
Speroni

Sakho
Sakho
Tomkins
Sakho

Luka
Sakho
Sakho
Sakho

Townsend
Sako

Where's Alan Lee when you need him?

rambo1
20-09-2017, 07:37 AM
----------------Hennessey------------
Fosu-Mensah---Dann--Sakho---Schlupp

Luca------Loftus-Cheek-------McArthur

Townsend-----Benteke-------Puncheon

Subs-
Speroni,Ward,VanAanholt,Tomkins,Cabaye,Sako,KaiKai .

fuzziettt
20-09-2017, 07:38 AM
He was stronger than many players on saturday.

Im sure if his name was james reginald you may have a different opinion, but that is my take.

Mad Raschic Ken
20-09-2017, 07:43 AM
He was stronger than many players on saturday.

Im sure if his name was james reginald you may have a different opinion, but that is my take.

He's only a kid really. Imagine what we would all be saying about him if he had come through our academy rather than being bought for a few million quid. Let's give the bloke some support.

TWELLSEagle
20-09-2017, 07:43 AM
Speroni
Fosu-Mensah - Tomkins - Sakho - Schlupp
Cabaye - Luka - Riedeweld
Townsend - Benteke - Loftus-Cheek

fuzziettt
20-09-2017, 08:02 AM
jules
FM SD MS PVA
JR LM

AT RLC Schlupp

CB

The issue with city is that you get so bogged down with their high line, and their creative possession players you forget about attacking. This is a mistake imo as defending is still their weakness. Kyle walker in particular does not like turning back the other way and has been done by wilf a couple of times. I would put our paciest player on him to try to keep him occupied.
I was thinking maybe Sako in support of benteke however, where this maybe a good option when we are behind, we need to make best use of what little of the ball we have. Thats why ruben gets the nod, and yohan will come on in the unlikely event we have to defend something.
Im tempted to play jules. Dont get me wrong, as a former gk i dont get half the hyperbole towards wayne, especially when you point out forensically specific incidents where he gets blamed for it, but it would just be good for moral for jules to get the nod.
And lastly, if we are to get anything, we need to win ugly. Stop them playing. Ive deployed jairo and luka so at times it can look like we have 6 defenders on the pitch of the ball. It will be jairos and lukas job to get stuck into their ball playing midfielders, namely silva and de bryne. Hard tackles, fair or unfair, to let them know they are in a match.

And please whoever the captain (and hope it is not puncheon) i hope he is in the refs ear for everything.

jmemour
20-09-2017, 08:10 AM
Speroni

Ward ----- TFM------- Dann ------ Tomkins --------- Sakho ------- Schlupp

RLC -------- Luka -------- Riedewald

Benteke

Not even joking.

glaziers fan
20-09-2017, 08:20 AM
Speroni

Benteke

Not even joking.

Not a bad looking side at all. Not sure how we'd get out, but the bus would be firmly parked, in neutral.

mylona
20-09-2017, 08:25 AM
Speroni

Benteke

Not even joking.

I suspect the game would be 90% played in our half with the above.

gilesy14
20-09-2017, 08:26 AM
I would actually be tempted to go with 3 centre halves vs Man City to try & negate their ridiculous front 2. I don't think I can remember Hodgson actually ever playing that shape mind you...

Am Phibian
20-09-2017, 08:29 AM
7 on the goal line, 3 lying on top of them and Speroni one metre in front of the lot of them.

The 10 outfield need to be put on a MacDonalds and KFC and fizzy drink diet sharpish to fill help fill any gaps.

gilesy14
20-09-2017, 08:32 AM
Speroni
Tomkins-Dann-Sakho
TFM-Cabaye-Luka-Riedewald-Schlupp
RLC
Benteke

or with more of a diamond in midfield...

Speroni
TFM-Tomkins-Dann-Sakho-Schlupp
Luka
Cabaye-Riedewald
RLC
Benteke

Just an idea - we'd probably go 1 nil down after 5 mins & be f*cked, but oh well. You'd obviously not have TFM & Schlupp playing too far forward.

adrenalin john
20-09-2017, 08:44 AM

This is absolutely spot on. When fitter Tomkins and Souare might feature too (and Zaha obviously)

jmemour
20-09-2017, 08:44 AM
Speroni
Tomkins-Dann-Sakho
TFM-Cabaye-Luka-Riedewald-Schlupp
RLC
Benteke

or with more of a diamond in midfield...

Speroni
TFM-Tomkins-Dann-Sakho-Schlupp
Luka
Cabaye-Riedewald
RLC
Benteke

Just an idea - we'd probably go 1 nil down after 5 mins & be f*cked, but oh well. You'd obviously not have TFM & Schlupp playing too far forward.

Tend to agree. These were the tactics used against Liverpool and they did largely work, if Benteke had decided to be a 30 million pound striker we might have got something from the game.

Kidofwonder
20-09-2017, 08:49 AM
Fosu-Mensah---Dann--Sakho---Schlupp

Luca------Loftus-Cheek-------McArthur

Townsend-----Benteke-------Puncheon

Subs-
Speroni,Ward,VanAanholt,Tomkins,Cabaye,Sako,KaiKai .

no.

Kidofwonder
20-09-2017, 08:51 AM
-----------Speroni-----------
TFM-Tomkins--Sakho--PVA
-------Riedwald---Luka------
----RLC------------Cabaye---
--------Sako--Benteke-------

fish finger
20-09-2017, 08:53 AM

This....every single word.

GreatGonzo
20-09-2017, 09:02 AM
Does Sakho have 90 minutes in him yet at full PL pace?

Hennessey
TFM - Tomkins - Dann - PVA
Luka - Reidewald
Puncheon - Cabaye - Townsend
Benteke
Subs: Speroni, Sakho, Schlupp, Ward, RLC, Sako, +1

Play the shape we want to play, use this as we would a pre-season game, drill the players how to defend in this shape. The slightly more defensive Cabaye in over RLC, wide players tracking back etc. All things being equal look to bring Sakho on at half time. Similar line up at Old Trafford with Sakho starting.

Mr Palace
20-09-2017, 09:04 AM
-----------------------Speroni-------------------------
TFM---------------Tomkins-------Sakho------------PvA
Townsend----Cabaye---Luka-----RLC-----Schlupp

Subs
Hennessey, Dann, Riedewald, Puncheon, McArthur, Sako, KaiKai

glenn.f
20-09-2017, 09:22 AM
Has Roy Hodgson ever been known to park the bus, i remember England soaking up a ton of pressure against the Swiss a couple of years in qualifying but wasn't that more of a 4-3-3. Club football i've no idea what he did to negate vastly superior teams on any given day. Ironically didn't De Boer severely frustrate Liverpool at Anfield a few weeks back with the infamous back 5 system.

gilesy14
20-09-2017, 09:26 AM
Has Roy Hodgson ever been known to park the bus, i remember England soaking up a ton of pressure against the Swiss a couple of years in qualifying but wasn't that more of a 4-3-3. Club football i've no idea what he did to negate vastly superior teams on any given day. Ironically didn't De Boer severely frustrate Liverpool at Anfield a few weeks back with the infamous back 5 system.

If you've worked in Italy, you've got to be quite defensively astute tbf to Roy.

Die hard Hoj
20-09-2017, 09:27 AM
---------------------------Speroni --------------------------
TFM---------------Sakho--------Tomkins----------------PVA
-----------------------------Luka-----------------------------
-----------------L-Cheek------------Cabaye------------------
-----------Townsend-------------------------Sako------------
---------------------------Benteke----------------------------

jmemour
20-09-2017, 09:28 AM

Hennessey
TFM - Tomkins - Dann - PVA
Luka - Reidewald
Puncheon - Cabaye - Townsend
Benteke
Subs: Speroni, Sakho, Schlupp, Ward, RLC, Sako, +1

Play the shape we want to play, use this as we would a pre-season game, drill the players how to defend in this shape. The slightly more defensive Cabaye in over RLC, wide players tracking back etc. All things being equal look to bring Sakho on at half time. Similar line up at Old Trafford with Sakho starting.

Roy said in the press conference after the game last night that Sakho was in contention to start. Could've stayed on longer than 70 mins but didn't want to risk him with Saturday in mind.

Wandle_Eagle
20-09-2017, 09:35 AM
This is the best team we can put out at the moment. I can't believe anyone is suggestion reidewald should play over cabaye. Same for sako - can't really pick him on the back of one half decent game against a reserve team. And Kyle walker would run him into the ground after 20 mins.

The reality is that puncheon will start - it's just a case of whether he is picked on the left again or moved into the centre to play alongside Luka and rlc, relegating cabaye to the bench.

I don't really think our best team involves Dann either tbh. Back end of last season Sakho and Tomkins were the partnership and Dann was no where to be seen...another one that is past his best unfortunately, serviceable but should be back up to those two.

mcmean
20-09-2017, 09:44 AM
Jules

TFM - Tomkins - Sakho - Dann - PVA

Luka

Townsend - Cabaye - RLC

Tekkers

Stockport_Eagle
20-09-2017, 10:03 AM
-------------------------Hennessey---------------------------
TFM---------------Sakho--------Tomkins----------------PVA
-----------------------------Luka-----------------------------
-----------------L-Cheek------------Cabaye------------------
-----------Townsend-------------------------Schlupp--------
---------------------------Benteke----------------------------

Subs: Speroni, Dann, McArthur, Sako, Ward, Reidewald, Puncheon

With Zaha back, a striker option on the bench and maybe a new keeper, there's no way that side should be anywhere near being relegated.

Jordan's Jacket
20-09-2017, 10:14 AM

That's the team for me

glaziers fan
20-09-2017, 10:50 AM
He's only a kid really. Imagine what we would all be saying about him if he had come through our academy rather than being bought for a few million quid. Let's give the bloke some support.

Well, quite. The guy obviously has some talent. Here we have a left footer who can tackle, pass and move in the midfield. Who does this not remind you of?! ;)

Hector
20-09-2017, 10:51 AM
I didn't see the game last night but I can't be having Riedewald at City, he'll never cope with the pace and strength. Speroni because I love him.

Speroni

TFM Tomkins Sakho PVA

Luka Cabaye

Townsend RLC Puncheon

Benteke

Hold out as long as possible

glaziers fan
20-09-2017, 10:53 AM

Who cares if he doesn't? We are going to lose this one anyway, so we may as well take the opportunity to get him match fit.

glaziers fan
20-09-2017, 10:57 AM
When everyone is fit I expect to see:

--------------------Hennessey----------------------------
TFM-------SD/JT----------------Sakho----------Souare
Townsend----Luka-------------Cabaye---------Zaha
------------------------RLC------------------------------
----------------------Benteke----------------------------

Possibly RLC and Zaha might swap, but those XI are who I expect to start in about 3 games time. Close between Dann and Tomkins.

Lougz
20-09-2017, 11:03 AM
How anyone puts puncheon or ward anywhere near our team. Either hasn't got a clue about football or doesn't watch us play.

Stavros 69
20-09-2017, 11:06 AM

TFM------Tomkins----Sakho--------PVA

-----------------Luca----------------

---Loftus-Cheek-------Cabaye----

Townsend-----Benteke-------Schlupp

I'd play the extra defender.

glaziers fan
20-09-2017, 11:10 AM
The other option that none of us have gone for so far would be a centre back partnership of Sakho and TFM. Fosu-Mensah might be quite good there because he has the pace to get across. And Ward might be ok for this one at right back because if we are deep he has shown in the past he can defend. Would be a bold decision for Dann and Tomkins to sit this one out though!

GreatGonzo
20-09-2017, 11:10 AM
Who cares if he doesn't? We are going to lose this one anyway, so we may as well take the opportunity to get him match fit.

45 minutes for the U23's, 70 minutes last night. Agree about getting him match fit but that is a process.

'In contention to start' and he may well do so but i would also not be surprised to see him as a sub and come on at half time either. Personally think he might struggle to make the full 90 especially with the defending we will have to do on Saturday.

glaziers fan
20-09-2017, 11:12 AM
45 minutes for the U23's, 70 minutes last night. Agree about getting him match fit but that is a process.

'In contention to start' and he may well do so but i would also not be surprised to see him as a sub and come on at half time either. Personally think he might struggle to make the full 90 especially with the defending we will have to do on Saturday.

True, it's not like all the action will be down the other end! If Mama plays he will be a busy man.

GreatGonzo
20-09-2017, 11:13 AM
The other option that none of us have gone for so far would be a centre back partnership of Sakho and TFM. Fosu-Mensah might be quite good there because he has the pace to get across. And Ward might be ok for this one at right back because if we are deep he has shown in the past he can defend. Would be a bold decision for Dann and Tomkins to sit this one out though!

The argument to keep Ward at RB is that if you take him out for this match, you have to put him back in the following week when TFM cannot play. Unless you go with Tomkins - Dann - Sakho - PVA/Schlupp/Souare at Old Trafford. Either way we will not have a settled defence until Chelsea and beyond.

jmemour
20-09-2017, 11:15 AM
Scott Dann is absolutely garbage these days, don't know what's happened to him but he looks finished. Tomkins and Sakho is easily our best combination.

teesdale99
20-09-2017, 11:25 AM
I wonder if many people would have suggested this team to try and batten down the hatches against Man City away if we hadn't lived through a few months of fdb? We have played 5 at the back before under bfs when trying to shut up shop - different to 3 at the back with wing backs attacking. Just playing devils advocate - it would be a brave manager to pick it!!

Hennessy

TFM Sakho dann Tomkins schlupp
Townsend Luka cabaye rlc
Benteke

Joe1905
20-09-2017, 11:33 AM
City are a confidence side if they score early they run riot as we have found out a few times.

If we are to lose we have to make them work for it no gifts like last season.

Would be nice to still be in the game at the 75 minute mark then anything can happen

GreatGonzo
20-09-2017, 11:35 AM
No one tempted by Schlupp at CB?

Martin H
20-09-2017, 11:36 AM
I know we all see things differently but this confuses the crap out of me:

the outrage at the thought of 3 CBs and 2 WBs that form a 5 defensively but provide width when we have the ball
vs
a 4 at the back defensively and when we go forward the CBs split and the DM drops between them to form a 3 and the FBs push up to give width

One is apparently super easy and solid, the other a basket case.

I am not arguing for one or the other, just confused by the reactions but what's new.

CPFC.1990
20-09-2017, 11:37 AM
Puncheon is the first name on the teamsheet and we all know it :(

Gregz41
20-09-2017, 12:04 PM
Ideally.

-----------------------Speroni------------------
Fosu-Mesah----Tomkins-----Sakho-------Schlupp
---------------------Milivojevic------------------
-----------Loftus-Cheek------Cabaye---------------
Townsend---------------------------------------Sako
-----------------------Benteke-----------------------

Fully expecting 4411 with Puncheon wide left, Loftus-Cheek off Benteke, Cabaye and Milivojevic as the midfield two, with Dann and Sakho at CB.

alanlee11
20-09-2017, 12:05 PM
Please give Wardy some time out of the team before he starts getting stick, not his fault he's all we have at RB but we should try TFM.

Luka must play!!

GreatGonzo
20-09-2017, 12:07 PM
I know we all see things differently but this confuses the crap out of me:

the outrage at the thought of 3 CBs and 2 WBs that form a 5 defensively but provide width when we have the ball
vs
a 4 at the back defensively and when we go forward the CBs split and the DM drops between them to form a 3 and the FBs push up to give width

One is apparently super easy and solid, the other a basket case.

I am not arguing for one or the other, just confused by the reactions but what's new.

Wing backs when you have the ball should both push forward to offer width both sides. Back 4 only 1 full back usually goes forward and the sitting midfielder covers. One leave you with 3 defending the other with 4.

Like most it is not the numbers that matter but how you intend to play the system and whether the players you have can play it effectively.

GreatGonzo
20-09-2017, 12:07 PM
Please give Wardy some time out of the team before he starts getting stick, not his fault he's all we have at RB but we should try TFM.

Luka must play!!

Wardy is likely to play in 10 days time as TFM cannot play.

SteveyHawking
20-09-2017, 12:30 PM
Speroni
Fosu-Mensah Tomkins Sakho Van Aanholt
Townsend Milivojevic Cabaye Schlupp
Loftus-Cheek
Benteke

Subs: Hennessey, Ward, Dann, Riedewald, McArthur, Puncheon, Sako

Celestial Empire
20-09-2017, 12:44 PM
Team picks itself :p

We need a left footed and a right footed centre half pairing and also the same in defensive midfield. It brings balance to the team which will also improve or shape defensively and we will be a more effective unit.

Two youngsters in mid-field, and another at RB looks horribly light-weight.
Fosu-Mensah should be motivated against City, and Riedewal has more experience (than RLC), is used to playing against more technical players, and is left-footed.
But I would start with RLC on the bench, and play Cabaye.

AJ
20-09-2017, 12:50 PM
Sakho was tiring at the 70 min mark, maybe he isnt quite fit enough to start yet?

theCoach
20-09-2017, 12:56 PM
hen
mensah dann sakho pva
luka Jairo
townsend loftus cheek shluppy
benteke

I can see that the case can be made for PVA / shluppy reverse or cabaye instead of jairo other than that we go with what dougie knows best..... (given his input) )

GreatGonzo
20-09-2017, 12:57 PM
Sakho was tiring at the 70 min mark, maybe he isnt quite fit enough to start yet?

Thats my thought. He will also be working a lot harder on Saturday against Aguero and Jesus than he was with 1 man up top for Huddersfield s reserve side so you would think he would tire earlier.

45 minutes Saturday, start and play 60-70 minutes old trafford, international break and then play the 90 against Chelsea?

Martin H
20-09-2017, 01:07 PM
Man City will be as everyone expects a nightmare. Their keeper would probably start in our midfield and we don't have a player that would start in their team and maybe only a couple that might compete for a bench spot. In De Bruyne, Silva (D), Aguerro and Jesus they have remarkable creativity and firepower and their FBs are on fire right now. So should be easy......

Maybe we should just send them a note and say we concede but nahhh, let's have a go. The problem is how do you contain them when everyone can play. They don't have great aerial power in their side as such but can't be ignored completely. Far more dangerous is their movement in and around the box. But if we are to negate them we have to crowd out the midfield and force them to bang in crosses or shoot from long range. The latter will be stressful. They are super scary on the break and so a lack of ambition in terms of numbers going forward makes sense too. So this will look very odd:

Hennessy

Timbo --- Tomkins --- Sakho --- PvA

Luka --- Jairo

Cabaye -- RLC -- Puncheon

Benteke

Subs : Speroni, Dann, Macca, Schlupp, Sako, Ward, Townsend

It looks odd but so is the challenge. The point, obviously enough would be to allow no space in the middle and push them out wide hopefully. I would be tempted to put Puncheon and Jairo in man-marking roles on Silva and De Bruyne to snuff out, or at least limit their creativity. The CBs should handle crosses etc.

Despite the saturation of combatative midfielders there is also enough creativity amongst there to take advantage of breaks with RLC, Punch And Cabaye and the odd set piece TBH.

It's not a plan for regular use. Another reason to do this is that frankly neither Andros, nor Sako are going to beat their FBs and instead will simply launch their attacks for them with us disrupted. We have to avoid FKs on the edge of the box and be very careful with Sterling. So should be easy.

EDIT I put PVA in but really don't think I would play him. Slightly bizarre I know but I would probably switch Joel to LB for this single game because he is the better defender albeit on the left.

Martin H
20-09-2017, 01:13 PM
Wing backs when you have the ball should both push forward to offer width both sides. Back 4 only 1 full back usually goes forward and the sitting midfielder covers. One leave you with 3 defending the other with 4.

Like most it is not the numbers that matter but how you intend to play the system and whether the players you have can play it effectively.

Not when the DM drops back, both FBs push forward.
There are differences and how you use it etc. It doesn't really matter but I find the difference in reaction. Anyway, didn't mean to distract.

GreatGonzo
20-09-2017, 01:13 PM
Man City will be as everyone expects a nightmare. Their keeper would probably start in our midfield and we don't have a player that would start in their team and maybe only a couple that might compete for a bench spot. In De Bruyne, Silva (D), Aguerro and Jesus they have remarkable creativity and firepower and their FBs are on fire right now. So should be easy......

Sakho would.

gilesy14
20-09-2017, 01:17 PM
The other option is to go Tony Pulis on them, ie - a proper narrow back with the wingers coming back & essentially being secondary full backs. This could work nicely in theory - something like...

Speroni
TFM-Tomkins-Sakho-PvA
Townsend-Luka-Cabaye/Jairo-Schlupp
RLC
Benteke

I actually think that could work well. Wingers who can defend but also can turn defence into attack quickly (think Townsend at WBA last season). The midfield 2 sitting in front of the defence, protecting the back 4 (a la Jedinak & Ledley/KG) & RLC with the physique to hold the ball up but also a touch capable of retaining possession & creating chances - like Chamakh.

*JUST LOOKED A FEW POSTS UP & SEE Stevey Hawking HAS ALREADY NAMED THIS EXACT TEAM...Soz!*

Martin H
20-09-2017, 01:23 PM
Sakho would.

If so they would have bought him surely? Cheap as chips for them. I don't think he is Pep's sort of player. All about opinions but I don't think he would make it.

GreatGonzo
20-09-2017, 01:26 PM
If so they would have bought him surely? Cheap as chips for them. I don't think he is Pep's sort of player. All about opinions but I don't think he would make it.

He is better than what they have.

Put the other way, which Man City CB's would you pick over Sakho?

Stavros 69
20-09-2017, 01:33 PM

Are you ******* kidding me?

Yoda
20-09-2017, 01:47 PM

To be fair, he was standing in the CB position for much of the first half on Saturday.

Unfortunately he was supposed to be defending our left wing, not giving the Southampton guy his own avenue of space to run up and down in.

Reg_Maudling
20-09-2017, 01:54 PM

I am not against riedewald at all and hope that he develops - he obviously has technical ability but already our midfield is not big or tough enough
Hopefully this will improve with milivojevic playing his best position but he can't do it alone
We haven't been winning enough headers and tackles in the midfield this season
Riedevald will need to be tougher in challenges and in contesting high balls in order to succeed in england because I can't see at the moment that his technical ability will compensate for the basics

SteveyHawking
20-09-2017, 02:16 PM
The other option is to go Tony Pulis on them, ie - a proper narrow back with the wingers coming back & essentially being secondary full backs. This could work nicely in theory - something like...

Speroni
TFM-Tomkins-Sakho-PvA
RLC
Benteke

I actually think that could work well. Wingers who can defend but also can turn defence into attack quickly (think Townsend at WBA last season). The midfield 2 sitting in front of the defence, protecting the back 4 (a la Jedinak & Ledley/KG) & RLC with the physique to hold the ball up but also a touch capable of retaining possession & creating chances - like Chamakh.

*JUST LOOKED A FEW POSTS UP & SEE Stevey Hawking HAS ALREADY NAMED THIS EXACT TEAM...Soz!*

Great minds! :p

teesdale99
20-09-2017, 02:51 PM
Not when the DM drops back, both FBs push forward.
There are differences and how you use it etc. It doesn't really matter but I find the difference in reaction. Anyway, didn't mean to distract.
I guess part of the problem lies with the fact that it simply referring to a formation as 451, 343 etc doesn't convey any nuances of positions with or without the ball, movement of players, who is supposed to mark who, etc. 442 could be described as 2422 with the same players in the same position and doing the same things.

I think many people's main objection to fdb tactics was not the formation as such but rather the players picked to perform certain roles within that style - most notably Ward being asked to provide width/crossing at the expense of players with more attacking flair and better suited to the role.

To take your point about 3 centre halves vs 2 centre halves joined by a holding midfielder, the effect maybe similar (the same?) but the personal would be different and bring a different skill set and level of familiarity to the role. Luka vs Kelly for example.

It's not hard to see what fdb was thinking (a back 3 of Sakho tfm and reidewald for example could have been great) but unfortunately he got his assessment of our squads capabilities wrong and tried to bring in the change too quickly and was not backed in the transfer market to bring in replacements.

cpfcfan1
20-09-2017, 03:00 PM
Itll be

Hen

Ward dann tfm schlupp

Cabaye milo

Townsend rlc punch

Benteke

Martin H
20-09-2017, 03:02 PM
I guess part of the problem lies with the fact that it simply referring to a formation as 451, 343 etc doesn't convey any nuances of positions with or without the ball, movement of players, who is supposed to mark who, etc. 442 could be described as 2422 with the same players in the same position and doing the same things.

I think many people's main objection to fdb tactics was not the formation as such but rather the players picked to perform certain roles within that style - most notably Ward being asked to provide width/crossing at the expense of players with more attacking flair and better suited to the role.

To take your point about 3 centre halves vs 2 centre halves joined by a holding midfielder, the effect maybe similar (the same?) but the personal would be different and bring a different skill set and level of familiarity to the role. Luka vs Kelly for example.

It's not hard to see what fdb was thinking (a back 3 of Sakho tfm and reidewald for example could have been great) but unfortunately he got his assessment of our squads capabilities wrong and tried to bring in the change too quickly and was not backed in the transfer market to bring in replacements.

Agree. The post really wasn't about the rights and wrongs but more about the differences in reaction. TBH it's not a total surprise because sometimes I wonder if posters are even watching the same match as me sometimes. :D Again not saying, who is right or wrong - more amazed at the differences in perspectives and tolerances.

Re FDB - I think everything could have been different if Sakho had started with us in HK and would have been different if we had won the 4 matches (with the fans for sure, possibly not SP). We are sadly as fickle as anyone else :D All irrelevant and behind us.

One ongoing thing that may haunt us for a while is that there seems to be an impatience to attack immediately, every time we get the ball now. This is neither wise nor sustainable and if we can't develop a bit of patience around the place we could suffer because it really does transmit to the players.

Skintagain
20-09-2017, 03:30 PM

Speroni
TFM-Tomkins-Sakho-PvA
RLC
Benteke

The central block of 4 players is essential against City they like to play through the middle. If we are going to have the slightest chance we have to stop it happening as you say Pulis style.

If he goes with the same line up as Soton its over before the game starts.

bodger
20-09-2017, 03:42 PM
WH
FM Dann Sakho PVA
Luka Riedwald
AT Cabaye Schlupp
CB

mb23
20-09-2017, 03:43 PM
Speroni
TFM - Dann - Tomkins - PVA
Luka
Cabaye - RLC
Townsend - Benteke - Schlupp

Subs: Hennessey, Sakho, Kelly, Riedewald, McArthur, Puncheon, Sako

Lougz
20-09-2017, 04:19 PM
Itll be

Hen

Ward dann tfm schlupp

Cabaye milo

Townsend rlc punch

Benteke

8-0 written all over it

redeagle
20-09-2017, 04:20 PM
WH
TFM SD. MS PVA
LM
AT. YC. RLC. JR
CB

Nigelbrag
20-09-2017, 06:25 PM
The reality is this game is going to be all about damage limitation there can be nothing else we can expect with the form they have been in, i would like to see us start the next THREE games with a solid look and see how that works out. As of late we have been overrun far too easily in midfield, so for now we need to strengthen from the back and work upwards, then hopefully we might stop the rot.
As for the keeper position there is justification to try Speroni as he inspires his defence better than Hennessey does, so may be worth a try now what have we to lose. In Central Defence i would go with the Tomkins -Sakho combination which worked well together last season. For solidity in midfield i would like to see Luka on the Right, Cabaye central, and with Reidewald on the left which will help the LB with much needed support. Also crucially he needs games if he is to be judged and will only get better with more games he plays, I would give him the nod ahead of Puncheon who has disappointed and needs resting. Then with Townsend and Loftus-Cheek playing much closer to Benteke to offer him greater support making us a greater goal threat, but would also expect them to drop back and help out the Midfield Three.
This is how i would like to see us line up for the next Three extremely tough games.

-----------------------------------Speroni-------------------------------------------

----------Fosu-Mensah--------Tomkins---------Sakho----------Schlupp------------

----------------Luka-------------Cabaye--------------Riedewald------------------

-----------------------Townsend-------------------------Loftus-Cheek-----------

---------------------------------------Benteke-----------------------------------------

Mad Raschic Ken
20-09-2017, 06:44 PM

Aguero?

Penstone Eagle
20-09-2017, 06:54 PM
Puncheon is the first name on the teamsheet and we all know it :(

Yep

meee
20-09-2017, 06:58 PM
Hennessey
Speroni
TFM
Dann
Tomkins
Sakho
Delaney
Kelly
Van Aanholt
Riedewald
Cabaye

AddoWolz
20-09-2017, 07:39 PM
........................Hennessey
Ward. .TFM. .Tomkins. .Dann. .Sakho. .Delaney ..PVA
.........................Luka. ..McArthur
................................RLC

Eagle's Nest
20-09-2017, 07:45 PM
Sakho

Sakho Sakho Sakho Sakho

Sakho Sakho Sakho Sakho Sakho

Sako

1-0 (Sako)

Crunchie
20-09-2017, 08:14 PM

This, although a toss up between Dann and Tomkins, but not sure if a Sakho/Tomkins combo are both fit enough to both last 90 mins, So maybe Dann starting is the best bet.

Having said that, not sure if Cabaye is match fit enough being all action for 70 and then relieved for 20 minutes, unless I read that wrong.

CaterhamEagle
20-09-2017, 08:36 PM
Hen
TFM Dann Tomkins PVA
Luka Cabaye
Townsend RLC Schlupp
Benteke

Bench:
Speroni, Sakho, Ward, McArthur, Sako, Riedewald, Puncheon

palacelad197o
20-09-2017, 08:55 PM
-----------------------------------Speroni (c) -------------------------------------------

----------Fosu-Mensah--------Tomkins---------Sakho----------Schlupp------------

----------------Luka-------------Cabaye--------------Riedewald------------------

-----------------------Townsend-------------------------Loftus-Cheek-----------

---------------------------------------Benteke-----------------------------------------

Give benteke 45mins and then bring sako on

Georgie Boy
20-09-2017, 09:39 PM
Apparently Ben Foster made a string of fine saves to keep West Brom from getting done over by City tonight.

Come on Wayne, just for this once, give us a clean sheet.

No Punch. No Ward. That's all I hope for.

TouchyAndalou
20-09-2017, 10:20 PM
8-0 written all over it Let's not get carried away. Realistically, the best we can hope for is probably a 5-0 win.

TouchyAndalou
20-09-2017, 10:23 PM
Sakho

Sakho Sakho Sakho Sakho

Sakho Sakho Sakho Sakho Sakho

Sako

1-0 (Sako) The chants aimed towards Pep of "You're getting Sakhoed in the morning" will be glorious.

danpalace07
20-09-2017, 11:25 PM
Tomkins > Dann

All day long

danpalace07
20-09-2017, 11:30 PM
He is better than what they have.

Put the other way, which Man City CB's would you pick over Sakho?

Kompany for sure. Stones has started the season very well and is more suited to their system.

meee
20-09-2017, 11:34 PM
Kompany for sure. Stones has started the season very well and is more suited to their system.

Would have Otamendi in a heartbeat.Sakho is probably only better than Mangala.

danpalace07
20-09-2017, 11:45 PM
Would have Otamendi in a heartbeat.Sakho is probably only better than Mangala.

I'd have Otamendi here but over Sakho? He loves a foul and a mistimed tackle, him

trent
21-09-2017, 01:23 AM
so we are now picking the 15 year old ajax reject based on a half decent performance against Huddersfield reserves . Did anybody actually see or recall his performance against their first team when he resembled a clueless child better suited to hackney marshes . This was probably the worse debut I can recall anybody making in a palace shirt . How the hell has this talent-less kid gone from rabbit in headlights to be picked ahead of our one class midfielder ( RLC not being ours !!! ) . what happened here ?????

jmemour
21-09-2017, 04:40 AM
Speroni

TFM ------ Tomkins ------- Sakho -------- PVA

Luka ----------- Riedewald

Townsend ------------ RLC -------------- Schlupp

Benteke

We're gonna need legs and energy this game, players like Cabaye/Dann/McArthur/Puncheon/Sako will get the runaround. That team can get up and down will have pace on the break. Luka/Riedewald/RLC can all play and we could potentially break and free up Schlupp and Townsend, Schlupp especially is rapid.

Palacebear
21-09-2017, 05:04 AM
Speroni

Benteke

We're gonna need legs and energy this game, players like Cabaye/Dann/McArthur/Puncheon/Sako will get the runaround. That team can get up and down will have pace on the break. Luka/Riedewald/RLC can all play and we could potentially break and free up Schlupp and Townsend, Schlupp especially is rapid.

I would still start cabaye even if he can only last 60mins, to me we look a lot worse side when he doesn't play.

Apart from Jairo for cabaye, yours is the team I would like to see.

CPFCalifornia
21-09-2017, 05:54 AM
I swear to god if Puncheon starts then I'm believing the rumors about him having nudes of Parish.

McpfcS
21-09-2017, 06:58 AM
Five at the back for me. We have three quality CBs fit and should use them. As well as TFM at right back of course.

CharlieCPFC
21-09-2017, 07:05 AM
Speroni

Benteke

This.

Shoreditch CPFC
21-09-2017, 07:35 AM
so we are now picking the 15 year old ajax reject based on a half decent performance against Huddersfield reserves . Did anybody actually see or recall his performance against their first team when he resembled a clueless child better suited to hackney marshes . This was probably the worse debut I can recall anybody making in a palace shirt . How the hell has this talent-less kid gone from rabbit in headlights to be picked ahead of our one class midfielder ( RLC not being ours !!! ) . what happened here ?????

What happened here is that your opinion of how "badly" he did against Huddersfield is much worse than my view or anyone else's that I read. You have also chosen to give no credit to his much improved performance in the cup, it's pretty normal for a young foreign player to take a while to acclimatise but you've decided he's useless. Playing 2 defensive midfielders away at City is a sensible plan and the other guys aren't defensive midfielders.

Shoreditch CPFC
21-09-2017, 07:40 AM
Speroni

Benteke

its a good team, but I wouldn't drop our goalscorer. I'd play Schlupp at LB with PVA to come on. We'll also benefit in the easier games by giving Sako game time now.

Martin H
21-09-2017, 08:01 AM

I think what happened is that you exaggerated so much to make a point that it's difficult to agree with you. However I would agree that RLC should be playing on Saturday. The rest is pretty much s***e.

Shipp Ahoy!
21-09-2017, 08:16 AM

Just as bad as you judging him based on one shit game under a shite manager.

**** me this 15 year old Ajax reject (he must have got younger...) who played in the Europa League final last season...Jesus mate, have a word with yourself.

Boyandy
21-09-2017, 08:18 AM

Go home - you're drunk.

gilesy14
21-09-2017, 08:26 AM

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/e0/ae/6a/e0ae6afc9f64b4851f927017c3e9b0fc--the-bridge-goats.jpg

Lords Eagle
21-09-2017, 09:32 AM

And Van Aanholt for Schlupp, if Schlupp played anything like he did against Soton I would I would dread to think what might happen, we got torn apart down the flanks up there last year.

Lords Eagle
21-09-2017, 09:35 AM
Speroni

Benteke

Cabaye has energy, ran his a**e off against Saints

Norwich_Eagle
21-09-2017, 09:56 AM
------------------------Speroni------------------------

Fosu-Mensah----Tomkins----Sakho----van Aanholt

--------------Cabaye-----------McArthur-------------

Townsend-------------Loftus-Cheek-------------Sako

------------------------Benteke------------------------

Subs: Hennessey, Dann, Ward, Schlupp, Puncheon, Reidewald & Kaikai

If Zaha is fit swap him for Sako and inter-change wingers positions.

FMH57
21-09-2017, 09:59 AM
Cabaye has energy, ran his a**e off against Saints

Which is where the problem lies. He was ****ed after 40 minutes.

Old Joe Paxton
21-09-2017, 11:55 AM

If Zaha is fit swap him for Sako and inter-change wingers positions.

Zaha not fit until on or after 14 October as was clearly indicated earlier in the week

The Vicar
21-09-2017, 12:00 PM
Speroni

Benteke

I like it

mexicaneagle
21-09-2017, 12:11 PM

If Zaha is fit swap him for Sako and inter-change wingers positions.Swap McArthur for Luka and there you have it

afmluing
21-09-2017, 01:21 PM
Speroni
TFM ---- Tomkins ---- Sakho ---- PVA
Townsend --- Luka---Cabaye-- Schlupp
RLC
Benteke

Bench: Hennessey, Dann (to cover Tomkins), Ward, Riedewald (to cover Cabaye), Sako (to cover Schlupp), McArthur, Puncheon.

Mobility in midfield is the key, so instruct Cabaye and Schlupp to play a 60 minute game and bring on fresh legs in Riedewald and Sako early in the second half.

bodger
21-09-2017, 05:14 PM
WH
FM Dann Sakho PVA
Luka Riedwald
AT Cabaye Schlupp
CB

This team should not be 22/1 to win or 8/1 the draw.

ben1987
21-09-2017, 07:13 PM
WH
FM Dann Sakho PVA
Luka Riedwald
AT Cabaye Schlupp
CB

This team should not be 22/1 to win or 8/1 the draw.

Except you are missing out our best player Loftus Cheek.

16eagles
21-09-2017, 07:49 PM
McCaurthur will defiantly play, sorry to disappoint every poster on here! I actually think he should against City as lots of closing down is needed. He is the best at this. Think It will be same team v Saints.

elgin eagle
21-09-2017, 07:54 PM
McCaurthur will defiantly play, sorry to disappoint every poster on here! I actually think he should against City as lots of closing down is needed. He is the best at this. Think It will be same team v Saints.

He's stubborn like that.

glaziers fan
21-09-2017, 08:27 PM

McArthur may defiantly try to squeeze his way into the XI with good performances on the training field but it will definitely be the manager's (or chairman's) choice as to who makes the XI.

minch1
22-09-2017, 08:36 AM
I would save Sakho for the games where we have a higher chance of winning. We don't want to lose him because he wasn't quite ready. Given Man C current form he would be working his socks off in this game. The season really starts with him and Wilf after the break.

glaziers fan
22-09-2017, 08:51 AM
Here's the other option that could be considered:

---------------------Hennessey-----------------------------
TFM---------Dann---------------Sakho------------Schlupp
-----------Milivojevic----------Riedewald------------------
------RLC-------------Cabaye-------------Townsend-----
-----------------------Benteke------------------------------

Actually, that's probably the side I would play, if horses for courses. Cabaye to press from the front, and put pressure on their defenders. Two defensive mids to protect our centre backs. RLC tucked in, and Townsend up and down on the left. Wouldn't play this way against any other team, but this is Man City with the best strike pair in Europe probably.

Gazpacho
22-09-2017, 09:32 AM
Foolish, I know, but I'm tempted to leave Benteke out, start with Sakho, RLC as false no 9 and try to get the players working 'in pairs' ( TFM with Townsend, PVA with Schlupp, RLC with Cabaye etc ) so maybe :

Hennessey
TFM Tomkins Sakho PVA
Luka Reidewald
Townsend Cabaye Schlupp
RLC

Subs : Speroni, Dann, Benteke, McArthur, Sako, Ward, Puncheon

bigend1
22-09-2017, 09:43 AM
Foolish, I know, but I'm tempted to leave Benteke out, start with Sakho, RLC as false no 9 and try to get the players working 'in pairs' ( TFM with Townsend, PVA with Schlupp, RLC with Cabaye etc ) so maybe :

Hennessey
TFM Tomkins Sakho PVA
Luka Reidewald
Townsend Cabaye Schlupp
RLC

Subs : Speroni, Dann, Benteke, McArthur, Sako, Ward, Puncheon

Our biggest chance of scoring will be set pieces for the next three games. Benteke is a must for me regardless of form

adrenalin john
22-09-2017, 10:05 AM
Pace on the break wide behind the full backs is our only chance

WH
TFM Dann Sakho PVA
Luka Cabaye
Townsend RLC Schlupp
Benteke

We need six men behind the ball at all times. Leave Benteke up front and it is a question of whether one of Townsend RLC Schlupp can exploit some space on the break and feed Benteke. Seems a write off to me in all honesty

Gazpacho
22-09-2017, 10:33 AM
Our biggest chance of scoring will be set pieces for the next three games. Benteke is a must for me regardless of form

Totally understand which is why I nearly didn't post. Decided to 'go with the extra midfielder with good work rate' !

Owngoal
22-09-2017, 10:33 AM

I agree and in that case the key thing is to drop Punch and don't let Cabaye near the set pieces. Surely RLC must be a better bet and Luka to take direct shots?

Owngoal
22-09-2017, 10:35 AM
[QUOTE=glaziers fan;13859468]Here's the other option that could be considered:

---------------------Hennessey-----------------------------
TFM---------Dann---------------Sakho------------Schlupp
-----------Milivojevic----------Riedewald------------------
------RLC-------------Cabaye-------------Townsend-----
-----------------------Benteke------------------------------
QUOTE]

YEP

beef
22-09-2017, 10:42 AM
I think we need to set up to play deep and then hit them on the break with our pace:

----------------------Hennessey--------------------------

----------Tomkins-------Dann------Delaney-------------

Ward----------------------------------------------Sclhupp

------------------------Cabaye---------------------------

---------Townsend----McArthur----Puncheon-----------

--------------------------Sako----------------------------

gilesy14
22-09-2017, 10:50 AM
I think we need to set up to play deep and then hit them on the break with our pace:

Delaney? Good one.

beef
22-09-2017, 10:51 AM
The same Delaney who had Costa in his pocket. He knows how to play the big teams...

Gazpacho
22-09-2017, 11:31 AM
The same Delaney who had Costa in his pocket. He knows how to play the big teams...

Man City full of pace and nippy trickery. Might be a bit less predictable than a hard man Costa leading the line on his own.

ebyeeckeagle
22-09-2017, 11:35 AM
Man City full of pace and nippy trickery. Might be a bit less predictable than a hard man Costa leading the line on his own.

Quite. I have more hope against Manure than their City counterparts. Lines of attack all over the pitch, scary.

Lougz
22-09-2017, 11:40 AM

Troll

GrayP41ace
22-09-2017, 11:59 AM

The same Delaney that's 2 years older and no longer the same? Hmmm...

gilesy14
22-09-2017, 12:02 PM

The same Delaney who hasn't had a good game since, but lived off of it for 2 years?

Plus Costa is old skool - not quite the same sort of player as Aguero or Gabriel Jesus who have pace to burn, a sublime touch & quality movement.

Can't believe I'm even having to type this response.

glaziers fan
22-09-2017, 12:09 PM
The same Delaney who hasn't had a good game since, but lived off of it for 2 years?

Plus Costa is old skool - not quite the same sort of player as Aguero or Gabriel Jesus who have pace to burn, a sublime touch & quality movement.

Can't believe I'm even having to type this response.

Even I can't believe you're bothering!

Tomo
22-09-2017, 12:11 PM
Once. 2 seasons ago.

Ludicrous suggestion and even worse reasoning.

beef
22-09-2017, 12:37 PM
What's our alternative if Sakho isn't fit? Martin Kelly?

jobiinthelastmi
22-09-2017, 12:39 PM

Starting against Man City.....

Chris K
22-09-2017, 12:57 PM
Wayne

TFM
Tomkins
Sakho
PVA

Luka
Cabaye
RLC

Townsend
Shlupp

Benteke

TonysSpy
22-09-2017, 12:59 PM
It would be Dann and Tomkins or TFM but Sakho will start I'm sure.

Only you know why you changed our formation to include Delaney based on 1 game 2 years ago.

Chris K
22-09-2017, 01:01 PM
Sakho is starting, Roy just confirmed it in the press conference

Ian Hart
Most people seem to have TFM at right back. Personally, I'd like to see him play there, but I'm far from convinced Roy will.

I sort of feel that if he was thinking of trying him at right back, he would have tested him out there on Tuesday. The fact that he didn't makes me fear TFM won't be playing there

TonysSpy
Wayne

TFM
Tomkins
Sakho
PVA

Luka
Cabaye
RLC

Townsend
Shlupp

Benteke

Hopefully this

GrayP41ace

Not to play a 3rd CB?

gilesy14
22-09-2017, 01:05 PM
Imagine if the answer to stopping free scoring Man City was Damien Delaney :lux:

The Vicar
22-09-2017, 01:08 PM
Speroni
TFM ---- Tomkins ---- Sakho ---- PVA
Townsend --- Luka---Cabaye-- Schlupp
RLC
Benteke

Bench: Hennessey, Dann (to cover Tomkins), Ward, Riedewald (to cover Cabaye), Sako (to cover Schlupp), McArthur, Puncheon.

Mobility in midfield is the key, so instruct Cabaye and Schlupp to play a 60 minute game and bring on fresh legs in Riedewald and Sako early in the second half.

This might also work

cpfcfan1
22-09-2017, 01:08 PM
I'd be amazed if ward and punch dont start.

Mr Palace
22-09-2017, 01:25 PM
As Sakho will start I think we'll see Tomkins alongside him (Dann possibly), with TFM moved to right back. If he plays Ward after the Saints game I'd be amazed.

Maidstoned Eagle
22-09-2017, 01:28 PM
8 - 1 - 1

bigend1
22-09-2017, 01:30 PM

Three at the back?

Delaney?

Punch?

No benteke?

No loftus-cheek?

No fosu-Mensah?

Edit: no Luka?!

Otherwise I couldn't agree more!

beef
22-09-2017, 01:58 PM
Using more of our squad can't be a bad thing. No point in getting the top players injured or Benteke picking up another card imo. Sako will arguably be more trouble for their defence given his pace.

cpfcfan1
22-09-2017, 02:02 PM
Using more of our squad can't be a bad thing. No point in getting the top players injured or Benteke picking up another card imo. Sako will arguably be more trouble for their defence given his pace.
I actually agree, think Sako would hassle them more.

Seanee Pawnee
22-09-2017, 02:04 PM
Speroni

TFM
Dann
Sakho
PVA

Townz
Luka
McCartz
Loff Cheex

Cabz

Ben10

bigend1
22-09-2017, 02:27 PM

I actually hope benteke picks up his fifth yellow against Newcastle and misses the Bristol city game.

Sako has pace once he gets going but his acceleration is horrible! He takes forever to get going so upfront that won't be much help. Also these games benteke is the biggest threat from set pieces regardless of form. He's come very close with a couple of good headers and will always be a threat. Far more than sako

minch1
22-09-2017, 03:45 PM
I'd put McArthur on De Bruyne and tell him to follow him everywhere. De Bruyne is the one making them tick at the moment. Also get someone running behind Walker to keep him from getting forward. Also Fosu Mensa on Aguero to stop him getting to the bye line. We will need some legs in midfield because they get forward very quickly so PVA and Rienwald would be useful for their pace.

New LP
22-09-2017, 04:53 PM

It's a dilemma isn't it.

Getting pumped by 6 or 7 won't help at all either.

johnnybacaro
22-09-2017, 05:49 PM
What I'd do (not that i think this is what we will do)

Wayne
TFM Tompkins Sakho Schlupp
Luka Cabaye
Andros Mcarthur RLC
Benteeke

Bench: Speroni, Punch, Ward, Dann, PVA, Sako, Jairo

pauldrulez
22-09-2017, 06:04 PM
The worry is that we could get humped 4 or 5-0 even if we play well just because of how strong their squad is.

I would go for:
Speroni, TFM, Tomkins, Sakho, Schlupp, Luka, Jairo, Cabaye, RLC, Townsend, Benteke.

Pack the middle and attempt to break with a winger and Benteke, though I can't see this game suiting the latter at all.

Our best chance might actually be trying to attack their backline without leaving ourselves completely exposed. They have a CL game midweek, so I can see some of the players that played in the Cup midweek getting a rest.

GreatGonzo
22-09-2017, 06:05 PM
I would play the formation we intend to play for the rest of the season and coach the players how to defend really well in that formation.

I trust that is what Roy has done this week.

jaspercpfc
22-09-2017, 07:14 PM

I can't quite believe someone has the audacity to even contemplate this

HorleyStu
22-09-2017, 07:31 PM
My choice would be: 4-2-3-1 formation

--------------------------Speroni----------------
-----------Fosu-Mensa--Tomkins--Sakho--PVA
-----------------------Cabaye--Luka------------
---------------Townsend--RLC--Schlupp-------
--------------------------Benteke---------------

sunshine lucas
22-09-2017, 07:58 PM
Guardian have been looking at bbs
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/sep/22/manchester-city-crystal-palace-match-preview
Ward and Punch on their bench

arabian eagle
22-09-2017, 08:05 PM
I would play the formation we intend to play for the rest of the season and coach the players how to defend really well in that formation.

I trust that is what Roy has done this week.

This for me, lots more of the season to go

Eagle's Nest
22-09-2017, 08:11 PM
Speroni

TFM Dann Sakho Schlupp

Cabaye Milivojevic RLC

Townsend Benteke PVA

Skintagain
22-09-2017, 08:13 PM
..................Hennesey
Ward......Dann....Sakho......Schlupp
..............Luka...Reidewald
.........Townsend...Cabs....PVA
................Benteke

That is our best team anything else is just wishful thinking.

However I expect our team will be;

...................Hennesey
Townsend..Punch..Cabs...Mac...PVA
...................Benteke

Die hard Hoj
22-09-2017, 08:19 PM
..................Hennesey
..............Luka...Reidewald
.........Townsend...Cabs....PVA
................Benteke

That is our best team anything else is just wishful thinking.

However I expect our team will be;

...................Hennesey
Townsend..Punch..Cabs...Mac...PVA
...................Benteke

Do you go to matches? Ward and Dann in our best team! And you leave out RLC, who is probably our best player by far at the moment.

GorBlimey
22-09-2017, 08:23 PM
Guardian have been looking at bbs
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/sep/22/manchester-city-crystal-palace-match-preview
Ward and Punch on their bench

MCFC leading scorer - Aguero 5

CPFC leading scorer - not applicable

Don't know whether to :D or to :sob:

16eagles
22-09-2017, 08:25 PM
8 - 1 - 1

it will be like this tomorrow. But serious note will be 4411 all season now..people may as well stop putting 4231 or 433.

I personallythink Punch will play left wing tomorrow, then this will be it for him. He's still a ledge and be good to have around plus come on.

Skintagain
22-09-2017, 08:32 PM
Do you go to matches? Ward and Dann in our best team! And you leave out RLC, who is probably our best player by far at the moment.

Of course I go to matches, I have a season ticket.
Ward is our best full back, we'll need a full back tomorrow charging up the wing will be secondary.
Dann may be past his best but Tomkins positioning lets him down and he's made of glass. As far as I know RLC is injured, in any case I'm not convinced on what he offers without the ball, yes I know Cabs runs out steam late in the game but Cabs should start.

delboy01
22-09-2017, 08:38 PM
My team

..........................................Bus
Bus.................Bus...........Bus...........Bu s....................Bus
.........Bus...................Bus ...........Bus...............Bus
.........................................Bus

Die hard Hoj
22-09-2017, 08:40 PM
Ward is our best full back, we'll need a full back tomorrow charging up the wing will be secondary.
Dann may be past his best but Tomkins positioning lets him down and he's made of glass. As far as I know RLC is injured, in any case I'm not convinced on what he offers without the ball, yes I know Cabs runs out steam late in the game but Cabs should start.

Suppose that's what this forum is about, a place for everyone to voice their opinions. Sorry fella never mention to dis you, can't say I agree with you though.:p

16eagles
22-09-2017, 08:50 PM

He's spot on about Tomkins. RLC will 100% play the next 2 games in full then nice rest for Chelsea where hopefully Wilf will be back.

Spindle
22-09-2017, 09:21 PM

https://media.tenor.com/images/db7692ffaaef8aace8a8fa6e35347b1c/tenor.gif

fanny farm
22-09-2017, 09:36 PM
Starting 11 from what I've heard
Hennessey
Mensah
Dann
Sakho
PvA
Townsend
Cabaye
Loftus cheek
Luka
Schlupp
Benteke

chrisophiex
22-09-2017, 09:58 PM
Hennessey
Mensah
Dann
Sakho
PvA
Townsend
Cabaye
Loftus cheek
Luka
Schlupp
Benteke

Would be happy with that. Sit deep and counter when possible.

jamescav0
22-09-2017, 10:01 PM
Hennessy
TFM Dann Sakho PVA
Luka
Cabaye RLC
Townsend Ben Schlupp

starting 11

NorthPalace23
22-09-2017, 10:03 PM
Hennessey

Ward
Tomkins
Sakho
Schlupp

Townsend
Loftus Cheek
Reidewald
Milivojevic
PVA

Benteke

Subs:
Speroni
Kelly
McArthur
Fosu Mensah
Cabaye
Puncheon
Sako

glaziers fan
22-09-2017, 10:04 PM
Hennessey
Mensah
Dann
Sakho
PvA
Townsend
Cabaye
Loftus cheek
Luka
Schlupp
Benteke

:lux::lux::lux: IF true that will mean Hodgson has taken only 1 Premier League game to axe Ward and Puncheon, something his predecessors failed to do in months. So long overdue. We might actually beat Man City! COYP.

Palacebear
22-09-2017, 10:30 PM
:lux::lux::lux: IF true that will mean Hodgson has taken only 1 Premier League game to axe Ward and Puncheon, something his predecessors failed to do in months. So long overdue. We might actually beat Man City! COYP.

Exactly! Can't believe this will be the team, fingers crossed it will.

danpalace07
23-09-2017, 03:09 AM
Hennessey
Mensah
Dann
Sakho
PvA
Townsend
Cabaye
Loftus cheek
Luka
Schlupp
Benteke

Too good to be true

bigend1
23-09-2017, 03:14 AM
Hennessey
Mensah
Dann
Sakho
PvA
Townsend
Cabaye
Loftus cheek
Luka
Schlupp
Benteke

Roy looked at my team! :love:

Edit: if we are 5 down at half time... happy Xmas chaps, I'll see you in the new year! :hi:

Mr Palace
23-09-2017, 07:15 AM
If he has gone with that team then I salute Roy. It's definitely the team to take us forward - bar zaha returning for Schlupp. Encouraging news.

Wein
23-09-2017, 07:30 AM
Hennessey
Mensah
Dann
Sakho
PvA
Townsend
Cabaye
Loftus cheek
Luka
Schlupp
Benteke
Why can everyone see this is by far our best team for today but not any of managers?

macstar
23-09-2017, 07:36 AM
Why can everyone see this is by far our best team for today but not any of managers?

Except for Hennessey

Wein
23-09-2017, 07:49 AM
I did say for today not a lot we can do about Henn sadly

glaziers fan
23-09-2017, 08:53 AM
Too good to be true

Agreed. Here's hoping though...

Krise
23-09-2017, 09:26 AM
No chance, but I hope RH plays:
Speroni

Fosu-Mensah - Dann - Sakho - Van Aanholt

Townsend - Luka - Cabaye - Sako

Loftus-Cheek

Benteke

Need to mark De Bruyne tightly (Luka), and stop any crosses coming in from Mendy.

Bryan
23-09-2017, 10:16 AM
Hennessey
Mensah
Dann
Sakho
PvA
Townsend
Cabaye
Loftus cheek
Luka
Schlupp
Benteke

I hope you have some kind of inside knowledge as that's probably the best team we can field ATM in a 4-3-3 without players our of position. Possibly Reidewald fits into midfield somewhere though.

We can turn this around.

Krise
23-09-2017, 11:08 AM
Hennessey
Mensah
Dann
Sakho
PvA
Townsend
Cabaye
Loftus cheek
Luka
Schlupp
Benteke

I wonder who would be captain? Not saying you're wrong, but I would expect either Puncheon or Speroni to start.

McpfcS
23-09-2017, 11:24 AM
I wonder who would be captain? Not saying you're wrong, but I would expect either Puncheon or Speroni to start.

Sakho

redeagle
23-09-2017, 11:29 AM
I hope you have some kind of inside knowledge as that's probably the best team we can field ATM in a 4-3-3 without players our of position. Possibly Reidewald fits into midfield somewhere though.

We can turn this around.

I think we bring on Reidewald for Cabaye when he tires in the second half and we are hanging on 1-0 up.

Simmo the Elder
23-09-2017, 11:34 AM
It'll be either Speroni or Puncheon (continuing) as captain today, I would have thought

Krise
23-09-2017, 11:36 AM
Sakho

I have a funny feeling that Puncheon will be starting on the left side of midfield again. I'm not too impressed with Schlupp, so I won't mind. But the captain situation needs to be sorted sooner rather than later, because when Zaha gets back, there's really no room for Puncheon in the starting XI.

Malarkey
23-09-2017, 11:37 AM
Hennessey
Mensah
Dann
Sakho
PvA
Townsend
Cabaye
Loftus cheek
Luka
Schlupp
Benteke

how did you hear that

McpfcS
23-09-2017, 11:53 AM
Captain really doesn't matter a great deal. We have several natural leaders who, if on the pitch, can be decent captains.

Reg_Maudling
23-09-2017, 12:48 PM
dont leave sakho on too long if he is struggling in the second half - we cant have him doing a hamstring

jeffers1960
23-09-2017, 01:00 PM
Hennessey
Mensah
Dann
Sakho
PvA
Townsend
Cabaye
Loftus cheek
Luka
Schlupp
Benteke

Heard the same

meee
23-09-2017, 01:06 PM
Hennessey
Mensah
Dann
Sakho
PvA
Townsend
Cabaye
Loftus cheek
Luka
Schlupp
Benteke

Repped.

Krise
23-09-2017, 01:55 PM
Captain really doesn't matter a great deal. We have several natural leaders who, if on the pitch, can be decent captains.

True, but it's the player politics and change in player status that has the potential to be unsettling.