PDA

View Full Version : Would you take relegation if it came with winning the League Cup?

Raggy
20-09-2017, 08:23 AM
I would.
Obviously, would love to stay in the premier, but loved the way that clubs like Portsmouth and Wigan grabbed a nice piece of silverware on their way out the trap-door. No one will ever take that away from them.

Worksop Palace
20-09-2017, 08:26 AM
Nope

Harry Holmesdale
20-09-2017, 08:27 AM
Deffo

Football is about winning trophies not earning more money

thehalifaxman
20-09-2017, 08:29 AM
we will go down eventually. if we have that to show for it I'll be well happy.

eagle mart
20-09-2017, 08:34 AM
FA cup yes. Not so sure on the League Cup - but I loved the FA Cup run, and wanted another piece of it after the Final last year.

We can do both.

Far East Eagle
20-09-2017, 08:39 AM
There are still a lot of good teams in the League Cup. No guarantee even if we got to the final that we would win it, see FA Cup final 2016

CPFC.1990
20-09-2017, 08:41 AM
Sadly, the League Cup has zero prestige anymore so to win it would be no more remarkable than the ZDS Cup, where at least teams put out full strength sides.

Stinger1
20-09-2017, 08:41 AM
Really can't understand that mentality. No cup would be able to replace my joy at seeing Wilf dance past defenders every week. I think people forget how dire the Championship can be.

jmemour
20-09-2017, 08:42 AM
FA Cup yes. League Cup nah.

Steamy
20-09-2017, 08:51 AM
FA Cup yes. Providing the Europa League doesn't distract from our promotion season in 2018/19.

GrayP41ace
20-09-2017, 08:54 AM
I'd take either trophies tbh.

Though in terms of staying in the league. We'd have 3 months left after the LC final, so the buzz and confidence might even spur us on to a few more wins :) an FA cup run would seal relegation IMO. Still take the win mind.

Mr Palace
20-09-2017, 08:56 AM
No, but yes to the FA Cup and going down.

Kirby
20-09-2017, 08:58 AM
Tricky one.

Would absolutely have taken the FA Cup and relegation but as others have said the League Cup doesn't have as much prestige (and is generally easier to win).

We're looking nailed on for relegation as it stands though, so I might as well vote yes!

Favelly Weston
20-09-2017, 09:09 AM
League Cup or Caribou Cup or whatever it’s called this year, definitely not. Even unsure I’d choose the FA Cup at the expense of our PL status, though of course it would be great to win it. It’s not about the millions; it’s about seeing our players compete in one of the best leagues in the world, although of course the millions unfortunately do come with it.

SEEPEEEFFSEE
20-09-2017, 09:11 AM
This has to be a joke surely? Thai energy drink joke cup Vs PL status?

eagleborn
20-09-2017, 09:12 AM
Really can't understand that mentality. No cup would be able to replace my joy at seeing Wilf dance past defenders every week. I think people forget how dire the Championship can be.

Dance past defenders and still watch us lose?

sheepy
20-09-2017, 09:17 AM
100% yes.

The feeling of winning a major trophy at Wembley > coming out on the right side of a relegation scrap every year

What's the point of being in the premier league if not to win things?

If West Brom go down this year what will their fans have to show for their stay in the premier league? At least we have an FA Cup final to our name.

Son of Ron
20-09-2017, 09:39 AM
If West Brom go down this year what will their fans have to show for their stay in the premier league? At least we have an FA Cup final to our name.

All of their stands have been built / significantly re-furbed in the Premier league era, i.e. in time since we built the Holmesdale.

But I too would take a Wembley trophy and relegation. We'll come again in the league, but to win the 1st major-ish trophy in the clubs history would be great.

TWELLSEagle
20-09-2017, 09:39 AM
Alternatively you can sum this up as win the carabao cup or keep Wilf...

Oli28
20-09-2017, 09:41 AM
Better than getting relegated without winning the cup which is the alternative

Raggy
20-09-2017, 09:43 AM
This has to be a joke surely? Thai energy drink joke cup Vs PL status?

39.22% of voters clearly don't agree.

Raggy
20-09-2017, 09:47 AM
Sadly, the League Cup has zero prestige anymore so to win it would be no more remarkable than the ZDS Cup, where at least teams put out full strength sides.

Don't buy that.

The League Cup is one of the big three trophies in the country.

I was at Wembley for the ZDS and it was great and joyful day. But even then, we all know it was a joke, even singing "When Geoff goes up to lift the Tin-pot Cup.."

bubbs11
20-09-2017, 09:49 AM
Short term, no. But when I'm lying on my deathbed, I think the memory of my Palace lifting a major trophy would eclipse 5 years surviving on the bounce.

CPFC.1990
20-09-2017, 10:27 AM
Don't buy that.

The League Cup is one of the big three trophies in the country.

I was at Wembley for the ZDS and it was great and joyful day. But even then, we all know it was a joke, even singing "When Geoff goes up to lift the Tin-pot Cup.."

Neville Southall didn't think it was a joke!

The League Cup has been a nothing comp for years.

Cpfcbob
20-09-2017, 10:37 AM
Would you take relegation if it came with winning the League Cup?

LOL we cant score goals, our first team couldn't currently win a game of bingo let alone any major cups

A Wooden Fish On Wheels
20-09-2017, 10:40 AM
Shit poll.

I would have voted 'no' but not because 'its all about the premier millions.' [sic]

SEEPEEEFFSEE
20-09-2017, 10:56 AM
39.22% of voters clearly don't agree.

So then clearly 39% of voters would also sacrifice Zaha to win this cup as someone else pointed out above.

Stavros 69
20-09-2017, 10:57 AM
No

johnnytemper
20-09-2017, 10:58 AM
No chance.

Don't get me wrong, would love to win the League Cup, but it's the poor, poor relation of the FA Cup. No way would I want to trade the opportunity for the club to progress off and on the field, plus the games we've seen along the way, for it. You can't beat Arsenal 3-0 at home in the league playing Championship or lower, nor have the hoodoo over Liverpool, or beat Chelsea or Man City while they're reigning champions of England or whatever else there is to come.

elgin eagle
20-09-2017, 11:02 AM

Yes but to have the Carabao Cup alongside the Zenith Data Systems Trophy is the stuff of dreams.

Pub Idol
20-09-2017, 11:09 AM

I don't think that true.

It would be a major trophy. The ZDS doesn't even exist and hasn't for nearly 30 years.

It would be amazing to win - Presume you wont go then if we get there?

fuzziettt
20-09-2017, 11:20 AM
Im not saying it is good for us to go down, but i am getting pretty tired of the hysterical nature of PL.

Would like something out of these 4 years and i would like that to be a trophy.

CPFC.1990
20-09-2017, 11:33 AM
I don't think that true.

It would be a major trophy. The ZDS doesn't even exist and hasn't for nearly 30 years.

It would be amazing to win - Presume you wont go then if we get there?

It's basically a cup that has replaced the reserve league and a chance to give some fringe players game time.

I'd go because it's Palace. Wouldn't be our greatest achievement though if we won it.

TOOPM
20-09-2017, 12:00 PM
No, but not for the millions.

As much as people may moan, this team has some of the best players to have featured for the club since the early 90s. I wouldn't want to throw that away for one day out at Wembley and a couple of qualifying games for the Europa League.

Also, last time we went down, it took a decade and administration to come back. Does anyone really want to go through that (or worse) again?

alanlee11
20-09-2017, 12:04 PM
Guys, we aren't going to win a cup this season. We really won't.

Palacebear
20-09-2017, 12:04 PM
Would be interesting to hear what Wigan fans think.

I would love an fa cup final win, but it hasn't done Wimbledon, Coventry, Wigan etc much good now.

Sharkba1t
20-09-2017, 12:07 PM
its a no from me. Gotta stay up here with and try to compete in the big league...that's priority

Oli28
20-09-2017, 12:11 PM

I would love an fa cup final win, but it hasn't done Wimbledon, Coventry, Wigan etc much good now.
I only know a couple but they're quite happy to have won the cup and gone down. The league cup isn't the same though; not even close.

bigend1
20-09-2017, 12:12 PM
Fantasy question really.

The idea of winning the cup is romantic but relegation has the potential to ruin the future of the club forever. Not a long way from liquidation either.

Staying in the premiership has to be the priority and even those blinkered enough to say otherwise would regret it if we went down

Palestinian
20-09-2017, 12:15 PM
Premier League status or winning The Thailand's second most popular energy drink Cup, it's a tough call, but the league edges it.

Danny_Cheviot
20-09-2017, 12:26 PM
Over 40 years spending thousands watching Palace relegated and promoted and nothing to show for it.

Gladly take a League or FA CUP with relegation.

It would be something nobody could ever take away from us.

desperado
20-09-2017, 12:29 PM
Every time winning the FA Cup or League Cup is discussed on here it reminds me of a joke I heard many years ago. Still true today

BBC Radio London News: 'Last night thieves broke into the trophy room at Selhurst Park Stadium home of Crystal Palace Football Club. A Police spokesperson said they were looking for two men carrying a red and blue carpet'

Yoda
20-09-2017, 12:39 PM
I think I'd take staying up in the Prem first over League Cup.

But would love to win the FA Cup and would choose that above Prem. After so many years of rollercoaster, I'd like our 'moment in the sun', so to speak.

Obviously then hoping to have a good rebuilding season in the Championship and to bounce back up.

Sceagle
20-09-2017, 12:41 PM
I would.
Obviously, would love to stay in the premier, but loved the way that clubs like Portsmouth and Wigan grabbed a nice piece of silverware on their way out the trap-door. No one will ever take that away from them.

And look at the both now

Purepalace
20-09-2017, 12:41 PM
Never.

Sceagle
20-09-2017, 12:42 PM
I take more joy in being able to watch top players personally. I don't see why we can't stay up and win silverware.

Excowboy
20-09-2017, 12:43 PM
The league cup is a joke. I'd take winning the FA cup over staying up but the difference between the two is like the tour de France Vs the tour de Yorkshire

GrayP41ace
20-09-2017, 12:43 PM
Alternatively you can sum this up as win the carabao cup or keep Wilf...

Not really, we could stay up and lose Wilf? :confused:

GrayP41ace
20-09-2017, 12:47 PM

It would be a one sided result surely?

Would you rather be Championship/league 1/league 2 with a cup win?
Or
Championship/league 1/league 2 without a cup win?

GrayP41ace
20-09-2017, 12:50 PM
Short term, no. But when I'm lying on my deathbed, I think the memory of my Palace lifting a major trophy would eclipse 5 years surviving on the bounce.

This for me, 112 years without a trophy, that's alot of people that have seen promotions and relegations, but never a major piece of silverware, or meaningful European match.

The club wasn't founded solely for it's own existence.

GrayP41ace
20-09-2017, 12:56 PM
I take more joy in being able to watch top players personally. I don't see why we can't stay up and win silverware.

Well obviously the option of staying up and winning the league cup would win by a 100% landslide :D

We've been in relegation battles for 4 straight seasons, give or take, pretty much 5. It goes without saying we will be relegated again at some point. No matter how much 'improvement' we make as a club with the Premier League money, there will always be 20+ clubs ahead of us in that respect, and at some stage will be ahead of us in league position.

It basically comes down to, eventually go down with a trophy win, or eventually go down without one.

TWELLSEagle
20-09-2017, 12:56 PM
Not really, we could stay up and lose Wilf? :confused:

Far far less likely obviously

GrayP41ace
20-09-2017, 01:00 PM
Far far less likely obviously

Far, far less?

Of course it's less likely, but lets be frank, if we scrape safety, someone will come knocking at some stage? Maybe next season or the season after.

Maybe even January if we're sat 20th and out of both cups, but sat 20th and in the LC final, Wilf might want to stay and win his first trophy with us ;)

16eagles
20-09-2017, 01:23 PM
No FA cup yes.

HurstpierPalace
20-09-2017, 01:34 PM
FA cup yes, league cup no.

spike
20-09-2017, 01:39 PM
At least wait until half the Premier League has been knocked out before starting a thread like this!

Pierre
20-09-2017, 01:40 PM
The amount of money involved in winning either cup pales into insignificance in comparison with being relegated from the Premier League.
The League Cup continues to devalue itself at home by finding a foreign sponsor who wish to conduct draws for rounds at convenient times for Asian viewing only instead of trying to accommodate both.
The FA cup still remains highly prestigious in terms of history but still not over the Premier leagues millions!
Also when you finally manage to get to a bloody cup final they give you the worst f*cking official in the world ever!

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
20-09-2017, 02:01 PM
We've been in the Premier League before - we haven't won a piece of major silverware before. So, yes, winning a trophy would be more important to me.

All a bit hypothetical of course and I am sometimes unsure the point of such questions. We won't get to choose between them. We will probably get knocked out in the next round too :supergrin:

richdeniro
20-09-2017, 02:02 PM
For me, I would take FA Cup and relegation but not the League Cup.

TAK
20-09-2017, 02:16 PM
Relegation would tear the club apart and dismantle one of the most talented teams we have ever had apart. Bye Wilf, Sakho, Luka, etc and we'd probably left with the likes of Sako, Mutch, Lee and WH.

Staying up is what counts this season.

firesign
20-09-2017, 02:18 PM
Yes - not just for the experience of winning something but because it would mean European competition the following season.

A Wooden Fish On Wheels
20-09-2017, 02:18 PM
I can't see why we would need to choose one or the other? The whole question is pointless :(

CPFC.1990
20-09-2017, 02:33 PM
The thought that Jason Puncheon lifting the Carabo Cup for Palace would be a preference to keeping all of our top players just beggars belief.

Se9 eagles
20-09-2017, 02:34 PM

Better than getting beaten every week in this league......

PeterH
20-09-2017, 04:14 PM
Given where we currently are in the table and the likelihood of very few points in the next few games, I will take the Cup please.

Excowboy
20-09-2017, 07:27 PM
To be honest I'm always slightly relieved to be knocked out of the league cup - the two leg semi-final makes it a real energy sapper of a competition.

danpalace07
20-09-2017, 11:52 PM
FA Cup: sure, bring on QPR, Ipswich, Millwall and the rest. The grand old trophy finally ours

League Cup: nah. What was already an uninspiring cup has been whored off into tinpot status by the EFL and pals. Just doesn't have the history behind it to make it worth it as nice as being there at Wembley would be

GorBlimey
21-09-2017, 01:32 AM
Relegation = potential/probable financial ruin.

Been there, done that so the answer has to be no.

Jaserob
21-09-2017, 01:59 AM
I think sacrificing our PL status on wining the Caribou cup would be a big moose-take

Jason
21-09-2017, 04:29 AM
FA Cup: sure, bring on QPR, Ipswich, Millwall and the rest. The grand old trophy finally ours

League Cup: nah. What was already an uninspiring cup has been whored off into tinpot status by the EFL and pals. Just doesn't have the history behind it to make it worth it as nice as being there at Wembley would be

Couldn't agree more. For all that it has been devalued in the last couple of decades, the FA cup is still the oldest cup competition of them all, and remains in many ways the purest expression of what football is all about. To have our name on that trophy would mean a huge amount. Finances apart, another year or two escaping the gravitational pull of relegation (which lets face it, will always come eventually for a club of our size) means little by comparison

But the League cup, nah. I bet even the fans of most clubs who win it can't remember what it was called the year they won it five years later. It's still a bigger trophy than we've ever won, and I'd be happy to win it, but not at the expense of our league status.

Stockport_Eagle
21-09-2017, 04:52 AM
111 years, various divisions and a ZDS Cup.

If this becomes 112 years, various divisions, a ZDS Cup and a League Cup, then take it all day.

Too many top teams left though and they all seem to have avoided each other in the draw so it'll be tough IF we get past Brizzle.

bus w*nker
21-09-2017, 09:45 AM
Deffo, to goes so close twice and finally win something would be fantastic.
Like the 60% of Palace fans who can go to matches, I will be there next season what ever league we are in.

Mad Raschic Ken
21-09-2017, 09:50 AM
A trophy and Europa League football? Yes please!

Sam Spade
21-09-2017, 09:53 AM
No.

thomasbroad
21-09-2017, 10:06 AM
Europa League football with a Championship squad? Not how I envisage our European voyage.

glenn.f
21-09-2017, 10:21 AM
For a club with a history of winning bugger all over the years, how can any supporter actually turn their nose up at a trophy. Yes its not as prestigious as the FA cup but it is still one of only three we could win. Give me a trophy to celebrate and I'll be all over it. Those turning their precious little beaks up are talking bollocks, cos you watch them go in the scramble for tickets.

CPFC247
21-09-2017, 10:30 AM
No.....unless it was beating Man utd in the final 3-2 after being 2-1 down with 5 minutes to play and it meant the wankers went trophy less for the season.

Icy
21-09-2017, 10:32 AM
**** yeah. Winning a proper trophy will always beat league position for me. Losing a few day trippers in the process wouldn't hurt either.

Mr Mojo Risin
21-09-2017, 10:34 AM
Yes. Relegation would be a massive blow but I am almost certain it will happen over the next few years. Hardly any club of our size can stay up for more than a decade. I also think that we would eventually go back up.

However we have never won a major trophy and it is much harder than getting promoted. Winning a cup, even if it is just the League Cup, is something we will remember far more than a season of mediocrity in the Premier League. Plus we would get to play in Europe.

Also in a season where we have already set a couple of unwanted records, we could shed a couple by winning it such as the biggest team to have never won a trophy and reaching the record number of League Cup semis without making the final.

New LP
21-09-2017, 10:35 AM

Well if you'd had your way we'd have been relegated under Pardew months ago.

smileysmith
21-09-2017, 10:35 AM
Of course.

New LP
21-09-2017, 10:36 AM
To be honest I'm always slightly relieved to be knocked out of the league cup - the two leg semi-final makes it a real energy sapper of a competition.

And also gives a massive advantage to the bigger teams who can be upset on the day but still have another chance to win.

Raggy
21-09-2017, 10:36 AM

Well, when I started watching Palace regularly our home gates averaged 6,000. Since then I have seen us relegated four times. Yet here we all still are, averaging 25,000, considerably wealthier, but more importantly richer in spirit for all the highs and lows the club has experienced.
The trophy cabinet is still empty, however.

The Premier League is like an abusive, controlling partner. "You'll be nothing without me", "Once you walk out that door, you ain't coming back", etc, etc.
I expect more of Palace fans than to buy into such nonsense.

GorBlimey
21-09-2017, 05:31 PM
Well if you'd had your way we'd have been relegated under Pardew months ago.

Unprovable bollocks.

jonn63
21-09-2017, 06:25 PM
Win cup qualifie for europy cup and get promoted back to premier.

sydnsteve
21-09-2017, 06:33 PM
No

Heath eagle
21-09-2017, 06:44 PM
No way

Wolfnipplechips
21-09-2017, 06:47 PM
Yes

Twiggy
21-09-2017, 06:47 PM
No one takes the cup seriously, so we'd still be laughed at unless we are in the premier league.

Wolfnipplechips
21-09-2017, 06:50 PM
No one takes the cup seriously, so we'd still be laughed at unless we are in the premier league.

So what?

Let's face it Saturday afternoons or lunchtimes or Sunday lunchtimes etc. aren't a lot of fun at the moment.

H.Bomb
21-09-2017, 07:21 PM
I would. Day out at Wembley. Will love forever in the memory. Will get promoted again.

montrealeagle
21-09-2017, 09:36 PM
Absolutely win the Cup. At this point the only reason I want Palace to stay in the Premier League is to secure a strong, sustainable financial position with major improvements in facilities, the scouting staff, the Academy etc. Well......it does not look like that is going to happen any time soon does it ?? If we are going to continue acting like "typical Palace" we may as well have a glorious day out at Wembley, to triumph (hopefully over Man U) and win a trophy. At least then we will have some memories to cheer us up next time we are in Administration.

Psych
21-09-2017, 09:38 PM
Yes. No. Maybe. Could you repeat the question?

DARZET EAGLE
21-09-2017, 10:04 PM
No way, the Premier League versus a tinpot cup, it's a no brainer.:wallbash:

laggin
21-09-2017, 11:37 PM
yes without question

Raggy
22-09-2017, 12:21 AM
I think I would take a League Cup victory, even if it meant relegation to the conference like Oxford.

Kinzman
22-09-2017, 12:55 AM
Call me old fashioned but I still believe taking part in a sport you should aim to win something!!

west country boy
22-09-2017, 01:03 AM
Call me old fashioned but I still believe taking part in a sport you should aim to win something!!I'd be happy if Palace win a Premier League game this year.

Die hard Hoj
22-09-2017, 01:14 AM
Why this negative shit! Get a f***ing life, polls for this, polls for that, why?

Die hard Hoj
22-09-2017, 01:16 AM
Why this negative shit! Get a f***ing life, polls for this, polls for that, why?

Just feeling angry 😡, alright! ...lol

DaveTheGnome
22-09-2017, 05:08 AM
100% yes

We've never won a major trophy surely it should be every fans dream. Plus the added bonus of qualifying for Europe for the first time.

Both experiences you'll never forget.

Rather that than finish 17th in an overrated premier league w*nkfest

New LP
22-09-2017, 05:11 AM
Unprovable bollocks.

The argument that an opinion doesn't carry a significant amount of weight because it can't be proved is lame (clearly it can't be 'proved' that Pardew would have taken us down as he was sacked)
However, it's reasonable to state that we were in all likelihood heading to relegation under him, basing this on results, a failure to win matches and the general state of the team under him. So to see someone like you who seemed to make a point of coming on here and supporting Pardew as this happened, now saying you covet our Premier League status is strange. Although not really that strange when you take into consideration the attention seeking bollocks you post on here every day.

New LP
22-09-2017, 05:14 AM
100% yes

We've never won a major trophy surely it should be every fans dream. Plus the added bonus of qualifying for Europe for the first time.

Both experiences you'll never forget.

Rather that than finish 17th in an overrated premier league w*nkfest

You aren't really presenting the two options in an entirely balanced way there are you though?

Dorking .Eagle
22-09-2017, 05:51 AM
It's a funny question, because deep down we all know the EFL Cup is very much second rate, probably as second rate as the ZDS was in 1991. The naff sponsor, and the 4am draw in China have done nothing to make it any more credible.

They say life is about the journey rather than the destination, however most of us have been on this frickin journey for donkey's years and would actually like to get to a destination at some point!

We have probably had more 'ups' than many clubs of our size. I have seen us win both home and away at pretty much every club in the league (ok maybe not at the Etihad or the Emirates, but at both of their old grounds), I have seen us reach Cup Finals, play home and away in Europe (ok it was the Intertoto Cup) and been to loads of pre-season games abroad for the experience of a Palace European tour. Seen them win at Old Wembley, New Wembley, the Millennium, been to the Olympic Stadium (shit), been to the smallest grounds in the League and non-League. It's been a journey.

You win that cup, it stays on the 'honours list' for ever. You get into Europe 'proper' - not just a pre-season game abroad, but 6 games, 3 away. You have something Br*ghton have never done.

If you go down, there is always another 'journey' trying to come back up, Palace have done it once a decade (or less) for the last 50 years. We can't always be the 'nearly' team.

Lingfield Eagle
22-09-2017, 06:13 AM
FA cup yes, league cup no. It's become too devalued to go through relegation for. I'd be surprised if they don't scrap it soon as it's become a bit of an irellavance with a 5.30 Sunday kick off and only on sky.

palace_crystal
22-09-2017, 08:05 AM
Its silverware, i would snap your hand off if offered the choice. I can't believe people would pick 1 season in the premiershit over a trophy!

viking's no1
22-09-2017, 08:15 AM
Its silverware, i would snap your hand off if offered the choice. I can't believe people would pick 1 season in the premiershit over a trophy!

Maybe some people imagine they own the club and are always looking for what they think is best for the club in the longer term.

I am a supporter and would take a League Cup win over relegation every day of the week.

Repo Man
22-09-2017, 09:04 AM
No, because going down means playing shite teams like Millwall and Brentford rather than Arsenal and Chelsea.

smoll
22-09-2017, 11:06 AM
Playing Tuesday, Thursday, Sunday would be great fun wouldn't it

GrayP41ace
22-09-2017, 12:17 PM

We ain't exactly being praised for our solid performances, goal scoring exploits, form in the last 2 years throughout the leagues, managerial appointments etc. as it is. In fact, any negative/'if you don't laugh you'd cry' stat or table right now seems to have us in it!

Give me a trophy on top of all that and it's happy days from me :)

GrayP41ace
22-09-2017, 12:19 PM
I'd be happy if Palace win a Premier League game this year.

:D ain't that the truth!!

New LP
22-09-2017, 12:21 PM
No, because going down means playing shite teams like Millwall and Brentford rather than Arsenal and Chelsea.

It will probably be hard to get a ticket for Millwall to be fair. As all the people who say they don't want Premier League football on here will be snapping up the tickets early doors I'd imagine as they'll have their Palace back.

GrayP41ace
22-09-2017, 12:26 PM
Absolutely win the Cup. At this point the only reason I want Palace to stay in the Premier League is to secure a strong, sustainable financial position with major improvements in facilities, the scouting staff, the Academy etc. Well......it does not look like that is going to happen any time soon does it ?? If we are going to continue acting like "typical Palace" we may as well have a glorious day out at Wembley, to triumph (hopefully over Man U) and win a trophy. At least then we will have some memories to cheer us up next time we are in Administration.

The club has nearly gone out of existence twice, if it ever did happen having never won anything (of note) it would be tragic.

If the purpose of exisiting is purely for the sake of existing, it seems somewhat strange. The record books would pretty much show that we existed and that's about all.

Always an Eagle
22-09-2017, 01:05 PM
Wigan won the FA Cup.

Got relegated.

Anyone half decent left.

Are they championship or league 1 ?

Personally I want to see CPFC in the top division, with players that we can afford, taking the scalps of Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool when they're going for the title.

3-3 & the Liverpool "cave in" takes some topping.

League cup, I'd enjoy it but not at the expense of the above.

GrayP41ace
22-09-2017, 01:11 PM
Wigan won the FA Cup.

Got relegated.

Anyone half decent left.

Personally I want to see CPFC in the top division, with players that we can afford, taking the scalps of Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool when they're going for the title.

They were nearly relegated the year before they won it, they may well have been relegated without winning it regardless? Would they rather be in League 1 with a trophy or without?

For 112 years that hasn't been a constant. We are not one of the top 20 clubs in the country. For us to get there, I agree, we need to stay in the Prem, but there are plenty below us that only need that 1 promotion, to push us further back regardless.

We will go down again, maybe not this year, maybe not in the next 10 years, but we will, as we have always done. With a trophy would be much more favourable than without one.

whereEaglesFly
22-09-2017, 01:37 PM
Wigan won the FA Cup.

Got relegated.

Anyone half decent left.

If you rate things like this above winning trophies that's ridiculous

AddiscombeEagle
22-09-2017, 01:57 PM
No brainer for me.

Winning a major trophy and get into Europe properly over scraping by in the Premier League year after year, maybe reaching the exciting heights of finishing between 9th and 12th each year where season over by March as can’t go any higher and can’t get relegated. Football should be about trying to win something.

To all those saying that we would lose Wilf if we went down, I think we will lose Wilf if we stay up this year because he is to good to be doing this year in year out.

beef
22-09-2017, 02:02 PM
Such a pointless cup. I'd take the FA cup only if we were comfortably mid-table. Staying up secures the long-term future at the club and makes infrastructure better. If we go down it will not be simple to come back up...

Celestial Empire
22-09-2017, 02:03 PM
If you rate things like this above winning trophies that's ridiculous

Looking through all the guff, it appears that the people on here desperate for a "trophy", are mainly concerned with their self-esteem and their mates teasing them. A bit sad really.
Establishing Palace as a sound club at the top level (looks miles away at the moment), is surely a better ambition.
Have a look down the list of League Cup winners - how many do you even remember.

whereEaglesFly
22-09-2017, 02:29 PM
Such a pointless cup. I'd take the FA cup only if we were comfortably mid-table. Staying up secures the long-term future at the club and makes infrastructure better. If we go down it will not be simple to come back up...

It's a lot easier to get to the top division than it is to win a trophy though? Surely our 112 years without a trophy proves this

CP-RJW
22-09-2017, 02:46 PM
It's a lot easier to get to the top division than it is to win a trophy though? Surely our 112 years without a trophy proves this
It's a lot harder to be an ESTABLISHED premier league club than to win a trophy. I don't think anyone would take being the turd that won't flush in the Prem, a la Sunderland or Wigan above the league cup. Its the chance to be an established premier league club, improve our infrastructure (which helps massively when the eventual relegation comes,) see the likes of Wilf, Cabaye and Sakho playing in red and blue, and the better a team we become, the higher the chance we have of winning a cup.

Dorking .Eagle
22-09-2017, 02:55 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Spurs have only one the League Cup once since winning the FA Cup last in 1991

Everton nothing since the FA Cup in 1995

Newcastle, bugger all since 1969

Winning the League Cup would be celebrated at any of those clubs, none would be embarrassed to win it.

viking's no1
It's a lot harder to be an ESTABLISHED premier league club than to win a trophy. I don't think anyone would take being the turd that won't flush in the Prem, a la Sunderland or Wigan above the league cup. Its the chance to be an established premier league club, improve our infrastructure (which helps massively when the eventual relegation comes,) see the likes of Wilf, Cabaye and Sakho playing in red and blue, and the better a team we become, the higher the chance we have of winning a cup.

All very laudable and rational but, with respect, that isn't the question. Everything you've said will come round again eventually, including great players, so even if we go down, we will come back up eventually. What isn't a given is a cup win, so I'll take a cup win please. The champagne won't stay on ice for much longer.

beef

For the opposite see Coventry, Ipswich, Leeds, Wolves, Forest, Derby, Portsmouth etc. I know which position I'd rather be in.

beef
22-09-2017, 02:57 PM
All very laudable and rational but, with respect, that isn't the question. Everything you've said will come round again eventually, including great players, so even if we go down, we will come back up eventually. What isn't a given is a cup win, so I'll take a cup win please. The champagne won't stay on ice for much longer.

Palace being promoted again is a huge assumption. I'd take relegation and a cup if we we're guaranteed promotion the next season. Until then we should be giving everything to stay up.

whereEaglesFly
22-09-2017, 02:57 PM
For the opposite see Coventry, Ipswich, Leeds, Wolves, Forest, Derby, Portsmouth etc. I know which position I'd rather be in.

So you're saying you wouldn't swap their trophy cabinets for our premier league status?! Madness

beef
22-09-2017, 03:00 PM
Nope. It's metal in some glass. I'd prefer seeing my club on the up rather than being obsessed with the past. Who wants to be like a Liverpool fan?

CP-RJW
22-09-2017, 03:07 PM
As Beef said, us coming back up again is a huge assumption. The longer we stay in the prem and the more our club grows, the higher the chance we'll have of bouncing back when the inevitable relegation comes. I love many things about the championship but the possibility of floating around midtable for a decade or longer is soul destroying. Also this may seem like having ones cake and eating it but why don't we stay up and go for a cup? Which is why my answer is stay in the league, grow and improve and win a cup later down the line.

Yoda
22-09-2017, 03:08 PM
At the Pearly Gates

St Peter 'So, which footie team did you support?'

Yoda 'Palace'

St Peter 'Ah yes, nice kit. How many years?'

Yoda 'Many decades'

St Peter 'I like your loyalty. They must have won some nice trophies in that time?'

Yoda 'Well, we hung around in the Prem by our finger nails occasionally. Oh, and won the ZDS.'

St Peter 'Yes, but decades of support....and that was it?!'

Yoda 'They've got a great eagle....'

St Peter ' Come in my son, you've had enough punishment.'

mroakley9
22-09-2017, 03:09 PM
Nope. It's metal in some glass.

Isn't that literally the entire point of playing football though?

whereEaglesFly
22-09-2017, 03:10 PM
Nope. It's metal in some glass. I'd prefer seeing my club on the up rather than being obsessed with the past. Who wants to be like a Liverpool fan?

If we ever won a champions league in my lifetime I'd happily languish in the lower leagues for the rest of our years

lewisuk
22-09-2017, 03:10 PM
100% No
If we get relegated i don't see us coming straight back up and that next tv deal that gets signed will make the gap even greater between the football league and premier league

beef
22-09-2017, 03:14 PM
Isn't that literally the entire point of playing football though?

If that were the case why would Rotherham and Grimsby fans bother supporting their club?

I do want us to win trophies but not at the expense of our long term stability. I like the idea that we could have both in the long run.

viking's no1
22-09-2017, 03:19 PM
As Beef said, us coming back up again is a huge assumption. The longer we stay in the prem and the more our club grows, the higher the chance we'll have of bouncing back when the inevitable relegahion comes. I love many things about the championship but the possibility of floating around midtable for a decade or longer is soul destroying. Also this may seem like having ones cake and eating it but why don't we stay up and go for a cup? Which is why my answer is stay in the league, grow and improve and win a cup later down the line.

It' a yes or no question. No yeses but with caveats and there's no requirement to show your workings.

What you've said is the same thing that's always been said over the past 45 years of my support on each of the occasions we've bounced back to the top flight. It's also an assumption we'll ever win anything even if we finish top half all the time so relegation is a small price to pay for the elation of actually winning a trophy. We'll then have time to look forward the great day when we get back to the top flight through the play offs.

beef
22-09-2017, 03:19 PM
If you melted down the FA cup it would only be worth 2800. That would pay for half an hour of Sako.

Yoda
22-09-2017, 03:20 PM
Which is why my answer is stay in the league, grow and improve and win a cup later down the line.

A valid answer for you, but I suspect that is the answer of a comparatively younger supporter with time ahead of you? Decades maybe?

In 2016 we helped a friend, just in his 60s, with a terminal illness to attend the Cup Final.

He passed away this year and would have loved, loved, loved to celebrate a cup final win after his lifetime of Palace support. In fact, I'm still gutted for him as I genuinely think we could have won that day.

I totally understand your point, but I think many of us fear a year on year struggle to stay in the Prem and then the inevitable drop. You can keep ploughing the millions into the team, but it's no guarantee.

I'm not 100% bothered about the League Cup, but I'd love an FA Cup trophy please.

whereEaglesFly
22-09-2017, 03:26 PM
If you melted down the FA cup it would only be worth 2800. That would pay for half an hour of Sako.

Yeah and if you melted your bloody legs off they'd be worth sweet FA so what's your point?

mroakley9
22-09-2017, 03:29 PM
If that were the case why would Rotherham and Grimsby fans bother supporting their club?

I do want us to win trophies but not at the expense of our long term stability. I like the idea that we could have both in the long run.

Because they might win a trophy. It doesn't have to be an FA Cup. It might be a lower league title, or a play off final, or even the EFL Trophy. Winning trophies is the only for football clubs to exist (besides laundering dodgy Russian money). I know I'd rather be Wigan even if they have been a bit shit lately, than Stoke who have done **** all in years. Like what is Stoke hoping to achieve? They're just spending stupid money on average players to finish mid table so that they can do it again the next season. **** that.

And as much as I enjoy spending 30m on Liverpool players, I'd rather be winning games in the Championship with an FA Cup in the trophy cabinet than breaking records for being shit in the Premier League.

beef
22-09-2017, 03:29 PM
The trophy doesn't have much real value. The cups are a social construct to keep us distracted from the premier league.

CP-RJW
22-09-2017, 03:38 PM
It' a yes or no question. No yeses but with caveats and there's no requirement to show your workings. It was a simple yes but I was explaining why I chose yes, if it was just about this season and no consideration for the future then it'd be a pointless no brainer question.

What you've said is the same thing that's always been said over the past 45 years of my support on each of the occasions we've bounced back to the top flight. This is our joint longest (or longest, can't remember) period spent in the top flight right? Not a bounce back in my opinion, as although we've found ourselves scrapping relegation yet again, with the players we have we should be solid in the league and improving year by year, and only managerial drama has prevented us from that. If we can god forbid, finally keep a decent manager here for two or three seasons (maybe Hodgson could be that man who knows,)well it's the best or at least the joint best chance in our 112 year history of establishing ourselves in the top flight. It's also an assumption we'll ever win anything even if we finish top half all the time so relegation is a small price to pay for the elation of actually winning a trophy. We'll then have time to look forward the great day when we get back to the top flight through the play offs.I suppose it's easy for me to say "win a trophy later" as I have many decades to come or following Palace, and I'd completely understand those in the 40+ bracket going for the win a trophy option. .

stannard
22-09-2017, 03:39 PM
No. That would be financial suicide. The League Cup means very little. Even Burton played their 2nd side vs Man U.

rambo1
22-09-2017, 03:41 PM
Most Definitely Not.
Staying,in the Premier League,is Essential.

CP-RJW
22-09-2017, 03:43 PM
A valid answer for you, but I suspect that is the answer of a comparatively younger supporter with time ahead of you? Decades maybe?

In 2016 we helped a friend, just in his 60s, with a terminal illness to attend the Cup Final.

He passed away this year and would have loved, loved, loved to celebrate a cup final win after his lifetime of Palace support. In fact, I'm still gutted for him as I genuinely think we could have won that day.

I totally understand your point, but I think many of us fear a year on year struggle to stay in the Prem and then the inevitable drop. You can keep ploughing the millions into the team, but it's no guarantee.

I'm not 100% bothered about the League Cup, but I'd love an FA Cup trophy please.
Yep exactly that, I should have a good 60-70 years of Palace ahead of me so I'm more hopeful about winning a trophy at some point in the future regardless, and completely understand someone in the 40+ bracket going for the win a trophy now option. Although I was obviously devastated about the cup final, I had lots of sympathy for those like your friend who had far more less time left of this earth to hope and dream that Palace would win an actual trophy.

DARZET EAGLE
22-09-2017, 03:49 PM
In a nutshell noooooooooh.

AddiscombeEagle
22-09-2017, 04:02 PM
When Punch scored in the cup final, I looked at my Dad next to me who has been going up Palace since the 1950s and the looks of what it meant was obvious.

I then turned round and behind me were two blokes in their 70s and one of them said "we are going to do it, we are going to do it".

There were a few tears in eyes if we are being honest.

I don't think any of us will get the same emotion if we survive another few seasons in the Premier League. Winning a trophy in our lifetime would mean so much to so many. I can still remember how I felt walking away from Wembley that day, the thought of winning a trophy with my Dad beside me meant the world and who knows if we will get that opportunity again.

Honestly since that day no defeat last season or this miserable run this has hurt me or really got me down as none compare to that. League just doesn't have same impact.

That's why I would take winning a trophy over staying in the league.

Latvian
22-09-2017, 04:14 PM
As long as we finish above Br*ghton - even if that means us being 19th on 6 points from the derby matches - then yes. Winning a cup, being in Europe and a more fun division next season! :lux: :p

NRM the 2nd
22-09-2017, 04:42 PM
Personally yes I'd take either cup and be relegated as it would offer me the excitement and emotion that just being in the premier league doesn't give me anymore

Smoz
22-09-2017, 04:46 PM
As long as we finish above Br*ghton - even if that means us being 19th on 6 points from the derby matches - then yes. Winning a cup, being in Europe and a more fun division next season! :lux: :p

Would be even sweeter if we finished 17th and they finished 18th, separated only by the goal difference we earned from an undeserved penalty against them.

Dorking .Eagle
22-09-2017, 04:58 PM
Would be even sweeter if we finished 17th and they finished 18th, separated only by the goal difference we earned from an undeserved penalty against them.

......conceded by Dunk

Payroll Legend
22-09-2017, 05:08 PM
Keep Wilf

Oli28
22-09-2017, 11:10 PM
Keep Wilf
Wilf is going regardless.

I'd probably take a League Cup final win over safety. I'd definitely, 100% take an FA cup win over either.

Oli28
22-09-2017, 11:11 PM
It's not as if anyone seems to be enjoying our time in the premier league these days.

orp pisshead1
23-09-2017, 04:24 AM
At the Pearly Gates

St Peter 'So, which footie team did you support?'

Yoda 'Palace'

St Peter 'Ah yes, nice kit. How many years?'

Yoda 'Many decades'

St Peter 'I like your loyalty. They must have won some nice trophies in that time?'

Yoda 'Well, we hung around in the Prem by our finger nails occasionally. Oh, and won the ZDS.'

St Peter 'Yes, but decades of support....and that was it?!'

Yoda 'They've got a great eagle....'

St Peter ' Come in my son, you've had enough punishment.'

:D
Ain't that the truth , give us a bloody trophy Palace. Sod the premiership.

orp pisshead1
23-09-2017, 04:27 AM
When Punch scored in the cup final, I looked at my Dad next to me who has been going up Palace since the 1950s and the looks of what it meant was obvious.

I then turned round and behind me were two blokes in their 70s and one of them said "we are going to do it, we are going to do it".

There were a few tears in eyes if we are being honest.

I don't think any of us will get the same emotion if we survive another few seasons in the Premier League. Winning a trophy in our lifetime would mean so much to so many. I can still remember how I felt walking away from Wembley that day, the thought of winning a trophy with my Dad beside me meant the world and who knows if we will get that opportunity again.

Honestly since that day no defeat last season or this miserable run this has hurt me or really got me down as none compare to that. League just doesn't have same impact.

That's why I would take winning a trophy over staying in the league.

Sums it up perfectly :p

ben1987
23-09-2017, 07:06 AM
A trip to the deepest darkest parts of Europe would soften the blow of playing Bolton on a cold Tuesday night that's for sure. We would probably end up with Aberdeen though and it would have all been for nothing other a tin pot trophy in the cabinet.

firesign
23-09-2017, 08:18 AM
Clearly it’s better to be in the Premier League rather than the Championship but what do we have to show for it? There’s been some great games, but for the millions swooshing around there’s been virtually no investment in the academy, training ground or Selhurst Park. A League Cup win would at least live in the memory forever.

Lombardo 888
23-09-2017, 10:25 AM
I can't believe 30% would swap the Prem for that piss poor excuse for a cup that everyone treats as second rate until the semi finals. Let's stabilise ourselves in the Prem an then go for the Micky Mouse cup.

The12thman
23-09-2017, 10:29 AM
I personally wouldn't. Much rather keep the prem place.

danibutcher
26-09-2017, 12:59 PM
I’d take a cup win for relegation, Brighton to be relegated and beating Brighton twice this season.

Seen us play in the prem and championships loads of times, we’ll always bounce back.
We’ve never won anything!!! At least it’ll give us some history even if it’s the league cup.

GrayP41ace
26-09-2017, 01:13 PM
A trip to the deepest darkest parts of Europe would soften the blow of playing Bolton on a cold Tuesday night that's for sure. We would probably end up with Aberdeen though and it would have all been for nothing other a tin pot trophy in the cabinet.

As opposed to just a cabinet.

GrayP41ace
26-09-2017, 01:23 PM
I can't believe 30% would swap the Prem for that piss poor excuse for a cup that everyone treats as second rate until the semi finals. Let's stabilise ourselves in the Prem an then go for the Micky Mouse cup.

The question isn't would you take stability, Prem status forever and an eventual cup win in 10/20 years time though is it? All those likely to be around would all take that in a heart beat. Staying up this season, doesn't guarantee safety next, or the last 2 years wouldn't have been such hell!

I genuinely cannot believe how many people would prefer the guarantee of just 1, ONE, further season of what we have endured so far over the guarantee of winning our first trophy? :eek:

112 years this club has existed to actually win something, achieve something, and how many supporters have come and gone willing for that to happen, how many of us have had grandparents, parents etc. no longer with us, that wanted to see us achieve something?

One more season of TRYING to establish ourselves over winning our first trophy? **** that, trophy all day long, the same players winning something with us this season would go down in history far more than the same group finishing 17th again.