PDA

View Full Version : Crystal Palace & Poppys for Royal British Legion

RCUK
22-09-2017, 09:15 PM
For those of you who will be buying a poppy soon, these are available from the Royal British Legion.

Money goes to a good cause, and i think they look pretty ok too :)

http://www.poppyshop.org.uk/crystal-palace-2017-poppy-lapel-pin.html

SeanPalace84
22-09-2017, 09:16 PM
Great stuff! Will order one.

OLD BASING EAGLE
22-09-2017, 09:26 PM
Excellent.

Les Butler
22-09-2017, 09:38 PM
Is it me, Im not too sure about this.

I kind of think the remembrance poppy is a stand-alone deal.

Maybe good marketing, again don't think I would go for that.

Wolfnipplechips
22-09-2017, 09:44 PM

^^

It's not just you Les. I'm struggling to think of anything in poorer taste than aligning millions of lives sacrificed with a football club.

Yoda
22-09-2017, 09:51 PM

Me too Les.

For me, it's a bit undignified and commercial. I prefer a simple poppy.

But I appreciate this is just a personal thing and others will probably feel differently.

TWELLSEagle
22-09-2017, 09:54 PM

Me too. I will stick with my poppy thanks and my palace badge, separate. They have no meaning in tandem other than cynical exploitation

GorBlimey
22-09-2017, 10:05 PM
Me too. I will stick with my poppy thanks and my palace badge, separate. They have no meaning in tandem other than cynical exploitation

If the "cynical exploitation" raises more funds for the Royal British Legion, what's the problem?

That's what they're trying to do and why they have a shop in order to do it.

I think you're reading too much into what is simply a way of raising funds.

They do Christmas cards with war themes, which could be described as a tad distasteful but I'm with the cause so I'll buy a few bits and bobs as well as a regular poppy.

jimmy the gent
22-09-2017, 10:26 PM
I dont know about this. There will be a far higher manufacturing cost than a simple poppy, thus a smaller percentage of what you pay will go to the charity. Each to their own, but seems to me if you want to give to the troops and the Royal Legion, just buy a normal poppy and chuck in a few extra quid on top, instead of buying what is essentially tat.

sw16girl
22-09-2017, 10:33 PM
Oh dear - it rather loses its point as a simple symbol of remembrance. Sometimes charities should just think about what they represent before chasing every last penny.

I'll stick to my poppy and if I want any tacky Palace memorabilia (and I will) I'll buy that separately. If others feel differently that is down to them.

Stellavista
22-09-2017, 10:53 PM
It's a bit weird.

Scrumpy
22-09-2017, 11:26 PM
Rememberance day should be a stand alone thing. Not tied in to football clubs unless you are specifically remembering ex employees/players who lost their lives.

mcmean
23-09-2017, 06:33 AM
I quite like the enamel poppies in their own. Might invest on one of those. I’m not sure about the Palace (or any other football club badge) next to it, but each to their own