PDA

View Full Version : Worst start to a season in the history of English League Football

Pages : [1] 2

Benzhiyi
23-09-2017, 04:25 PM
Yes, really. First time *ever* an English league team has started the season with zero points and zero goals after six games. A quite incredible achievement, really.

If only someone somewhere had a crystal ball that suggested we might struggle with a Championship keeper, no back-up centre forward and a complete lack of squad depth, eh?

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
23-09-2017, 04:28 PM
Yes, really. First time *ever* an English league team has started the season with zero points and zero goals. A quite incredible achievement, really.

If only someone somewhere had a crystal ball that suggested we might struggle with a Championship keeper, no back-up centre forward and a complete lack of squad depth, eh?

None of us saw it coming. None of us. I mean don't forget we started the season with an experienced manager in place who knew what he was doing too. :supergrin:

Happy Arthur
23-09-2017, 04:30 PM
Hang on a second, I thought we blew away tin pot Huddersfield with our total football?

Billy Rhino
23-09-2017, 04:31 PM
https://downstairslounge.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/roy-castle.jpg

alanlee11
23-09-2017, 04:32 PM
I was offended by Steve Parish's comments in the HOL Radio interview where he claimed those complaining were "keyboard warriors" and most likely "16/17 years old" - not fair on loyal fans who could see this mess unfolding and are quite rightly very unhappy.

Sir.S.C Remembered
23-09-2017, 04:34 PM
None of us saw it coming. None of us. I mean don't forget we started the season with an experienced manager in place who knew what he was doing too. :supergrin:

This is nonsense about no depth. We often start with a £10m and £14m player on the bench.

Certain positions yes. But there's this thing called an academy too. Other clubs use them occasionally.

Levski
23-09-2017, 04:34 PM
72 shots.
0 goals.

That is truly amazing

danpalace07
23-09-2017, 04:37 PM
I was offended by Steve Parish's comments in the HOL Radio interview where he claimed those complaining were "keyboard warriors" and most likely "16/17 years old" - not fair on loyal fans who could see this mess unfolding and are quite rightly very unhappy.

apparently we should just be grateful :rolleyes:

HurstpierPalace
23-09-2017, 04:37 PM
In thousands of years when football is to them what chariot racing is to us no one will remember Swansea, Hull, Burnley etc. Our useless band of overpaid blaggers will have their names etched in the record books for all of posterity to see though. I take some comfort from that thought. :)

Penstone Eagle
23-09-2017, 04:41 PM

Yep

KP'S Nuts
23-09-2017, 04:43 PM
In thousands of years when football is to them what chariot racing is to us no one will remember Swansea, Hull, Burnley etc. Our useless band of overpaid blaggers will have their names etched in the record books for all of posterity to see though. I take some comfort from that thought. :)

lol your right but if you were relaxing on your yacht cruising between one of your 50 properties on 50 island paradises i dont think you would care what you had done they have hit the lottery jackpot of life anyway.

Thefunkymonk
23-09-2017, 04:46 PM
Haha. What an embarrassing shambles.

Our most expensive squad ever and they are dog shit

Kai
23-09-2017, 04:47 PM
This is what happens when everything is done wrong from the top down. It is also what happens when you fail to realise the difference between Championship ( and below) players and Premiership ones

TheMexicanHorse
23-09-2017, 04:48 PM
Good quality of cladding mind

eagle101
23-09-2017, 04:50 PM
This is nonsense about no depth. We often start with a £10m and £14m player on the bench.

Certain positions yes. But there's this thing called an academy too. Other clubs use them occasionally.

Other clubs have academies that haven't been neglected for five years, though.

Jim Cannons Moustache
23-09-2017, 04:51 PM
Good quality of cladding mind

And Goals in Beckenham has never been busier

PeterH
23-09-2017, 04:51 PM
Rollercoaster time - all remember now when we are dancing around at Wembley at some point in the next 18 months.

PeterH
23-09-2017, 04:52 PM
And Goals in Beckenham has never been busier

You are not allowed to say that. SP was very upset about that on the cast.

HurstpierPalace
23-09-2017, 04:52 PM
lol your right but if you were relaxing on your yacht cruising between one of your 50 properties on 50 island paradises i dont think you would care what you had done they have hit the lottery jackpot of life anyway.

Very true. Not sure if I would rather live a run of the mill life and die in obscurity or live a life of luxury in a glamorous job going down in history as someone who was particularly shit at what they did.

HurstpierPalace
23-09-2017, 04:53 PM
Rollercoaster time - all remember now when we are dancing around at Wembley at some point in the next 18 months.

When we've scored our first goal away at Tottenham?

Santos-er
23-09-2017, 04:57 PM
We've had a good 5 years. The time had come to get back where we belong - and start it all again :)

Just a shame we have **** all to show for it but a huge wage bill.

TheMexicanHorse
23-09-2017, 04:58 PM

LDV final?

laths
23-09-2017, 05:00 PM
I wonder if he’s choking on his chicken balls in the Man City boardroom after that.

thehalifaxman
23-09-2017, 05:02 PM
72 shots.
0 goals.

That is truly amazing

I made it 76

spt1978
23-09-2017, 05:03 PM
Chairman only had eyes for Sakho.

Eagles6397
23-09-2017, 05:10 PM
I don't care what the stats say. We will still have the last laugh when we stay up. Another typical Palace rollercoaster season is now in full flight.

Happy Arthur
23-09-2017, 05:56 PM
What's the next record?

jaspercpfc
23-09-2017, 06:01 PM

wanted a final 9 month love affair, before we're reunited with some cumbersome lump in the championship. When owners actively buy players which has frequently been the case with SP it never sits well with me.

Buglebob
23-09-2017, 06:02 PM
What's the next record?

Highest placed finish for a team with no points after 6 games.

Can't believe some of the 'woe is me' nonsense being posted on here.

firesign
23-09-2017, 06:05 PM
We are record breakers :lux:

Benzhiyi
23-09-2017, 06:06 PM
Highest placed finish for a team with no points after 6 games.

Can't believe some of the 'woe is me' nonsense being posted on here.

No woe from me despite starting this thread, in an absurd way I find it quite funny. Typical Palace.

Windsor_Eagle
23-09-2017, 06:09 PM
Not to detract at all from the unacceptability of it BUT how we have not scored is more unbelievable. Zaha breaking through agianst Hudds followed by Benteke bullet header and Dann missing from 6 yards out. Benteke from 6 yards at Liverpool. Plethora of chances at Burnley, three goal line clearances against Southampton and the post today.

It is a massive monkey on our backs but *some* of it is just, almost, fate-like.

I do have faith in Roy. On Tuesday and today our shape has been better (yes Man City pulled us apart 2nd half but we aren't the first and won't be the last to have that happen to them by them this season).

We took a few games to get into the shape that Sam needed us to last season. Roy seems to be getting us there and that will be the foundation of anything positive. He warned us it will get 'darker' before it gets lighter. This is where we are. We need to step away from looking at how it will be by x, y or z in the future (too many variables to change over several months) but just focus each game at how we can get something from the game.

It is set up for a remarkable story - I'm not giving up on it.

Danny_Cheviot
23-09-2017, 06:10 PM
Good. Point made.

We move on.

CPFC85
23-09-2017, 06:15 PM
No woe from me despite starting this thread, in an absurd way I find it quite funny. Typical Palace.

The gallows humour part of me sees the funny side of this. Only at Palace.

CPFC85
23-09-2017, 06:16 PM
If we do end up staying up after this God awful start then I'll truly believe we'll never go down.

Buglebob
23-09-2017, 06:22 PM
Yep, this could be one hell of a season when the tide turns. Bring it on.

meee
23-09-2017, 06:22 PM
Not to detract at all from the unacceptability of it BUT how we have not scored is more unbelievable. Zaha breaking through agianst Hudds followed by Benteke bullet header and Dann missing from 6 yards out. Benteke from 6 yards at Liverpool. Plethora of chances at Burnley, three goal line clearances against Southampton and the post today.

It is a massive monkey on our backs but *some* of it is just, almost, fate-like.

I do have faith in Roy. On Tuesday and today our shape has been better (yes Man City pulled us apart 2nd half but we aren't the first and won't be the last to have that happen to them by them this season).

We took a few games to get into the shape that Sam needed us to last season. Roy seems to be getting us there and that will be the foundation of anything positive. He warned us it will get 'darker' before it gets lighter. This is where we are. We need to step away from looking at how it will be by x, y or z in the future (too many variables to change over several months) but just focus each game at how we can get something from the game.

We shouldn't be talking about a new manager getting to grips with things 6 games into a new season.The fact we are on our 2nd manager already is an absurd situation.Then you add in the fact we have no back up striker,no goalkeeper above league 1 standard and at least 4 of the starting line up today not good enough for premier league football any more,proving that by losing the first 6 games and not scoring and it's just one huge mess.And I'm normally fairly optimistic.

palacelad197o
23-09-2017, 06:23 PM
What's the next record?

we are setting them not breaking them

dim
23-09-2017, 06:33 PM
I have felt a lot worse - 81 for instance. When Wright relegated us..... if we go this year, it will be more 81 style.

grand aigle
23-09-2017, 06:37 PM

Most of those teams have decent keepers, we have Hennessey. He would never make the saves the Huddersfield keeper made. The players just dont want it enough, they're happy collecting their money every week, thats all they care about!

GorBlimey
23-09-2017, 06:48 PM

Throw your hat in for the next manager's job.

You really seem to know what to do. While your at it, take over the club and run it too.

You seem to think you can fix everything.

H.Bomb
23-09-2017, 06:51 PM
We will go eight without a win

Robson
23-09-2017, 06:52 PM
Welcome to the Championship, lads.

jimmy the gent
23-09-2017, 06:54 PM
"this squad is bursting with talent"

Thefunkymonk
23-09-2017, 06:56 PM

You really seem to know what to do. While your at it, take over the club and run it too.

Haha. Why? Because I have a different opinion to yours?

Please explain to me how this isnít a shambles?

Please explain to me why going into a season with 1 fit striker isnít incompetence and that 99% of people in the stands and on here identified it

Please explain to me why going into the season with two championship goalkeepers that every bloody person can see isnít incompetence?

This isnít me saying i can fix anything.. itís me saying what 99% of the fan base is saying and could see.

And fwiw I actually thought FdB was a good appointment at the time so donít think I would do to well!!

GorBlimey
23-09-2017, 06:59 PM

Which it is.

Our problems remain having them all fit and able to play.

January window will be key for us and Roy may show his ability to do a deal or two.

GrayP41ace
23-09-2017, 07:00 PM

I think it's actually burst now and the talent has ****ed off.

TheCharmer1
23-09-2017, 07:01 PM
thanks steve

GrayP41ace
23-09-2017, 07:05 PM
Which it is.

January window will be key for us and Roy may show his ability to do a deal or two.

Is it though? The only players we buy aren't players coming up, it's players not good enough for the clubs they were at and we are there only option.

We assume they are talented because of where they have been at before coming to us, but ultimately they weren't talented enough there....

Billy Rhino
23-09-2017, 07:06 PM
Haha. Why? Because I have a different opinion to yours?

Please explain to me how this isnít a shambles?

Please explain to me why going into a season with 1 fit striker isnít incompetence and that 99% of people in the stands and on here identified it

Please explain to me why going into the season with two championship goalkeepers that every bloody person can see isnít incompetence?

This isnít me saying i can fix anything.. itís me saying what 99% of the fan base is saying and could see.

And fwiw I actually thought FdB was a good appointment at the time so donít think I would do to well!!

You are right that it's a complete shambles but what's the point in continually pointing it out, as has been done on here now for weeks on end? (not meant specifically to you but all those who keep posting negative comments). Life's too short.

Great Lombardi
23-09-2017, 07:16 PM
For a team like Palace success goes in cycles and has done for years... you have the highs like the Play-off final at Wembley and the lows like the 97/98 season when we were totally humiliated in the Premier League.

It's time for another slump... it's painful, but it was always coming.

If you don't like it... don't support Palace.

bradpitt
23-09-2017, 07:16 PM
I’m so proud, so bloody proud....

eagle101
23-09-2017, 07:19 PM
For a team like Palace success goes in cycles and has done for years... you have the highs like the Play-off final at Wembley and the lows like the 97/98 season when we were totally humiliated in the Premier League.

We have had ample opportunity to break this cycle by being in the Premier League for five years.

Instead, that opportunity looks like it's going to be snatched from our hands, and it's all on one person as far as I'm concerned.

Happy Arthur
23-09-2017, 07:20 PM
What's the next record?
I've got it:

We'll stay up with a record low amount of points.

Don Rogers
23-09-2017, 07:27 PM
Welcome to the Championship, lads.

Sad thing is, if I didn't support Palace, I'd want us gone. Not done much since Dec 2015.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
23-09-2017, 07:31 PM

That is such a flawed (and often repeated) argument.

Just because you couldn't do any better doesn't mean you can't see when someone else is making a pig's ear of it.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
23-09-2017, 07:33 PM

I find that last sentence strange. There are lots of Palace fans who don't like seeing us be very poor for the majority of two years. That doesn't mean we don't enjoy supporting the club on the whole.

Thefunkymonk
23-09-2017, 07:40 PM
You are right that it's a complete shambles but what's the point in continually pointing it out, as has been done on here now for weeks on end? (not meant specifically to you but all those who keep posting negative comments). Life's too short.

Fair point mate.

I put it down to frustration.

CPFC since 1989
23-09-2017, 08:12 PM

On the podcast SP said he wanted to keep Campbell. Seems that was FDB's decision.

RAB
23-09-2017, 08:16 PM
Palace in the Premier League this season reminds me of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6Y2uQn_wvc

- a bit of a mistake but having a go.

CPFC.1990
23-09-2017, 08:19 PM
On the podcast SP said he wanted to keep Campbell. Seems that was FDB's decision.

That's because FdB clearly knows more about football than Parish. Plus what's it got to do with SP who we keep? Keep his nose out of team affairs (in a polite way)!

Mr Mojo Risin
23-09-2017, 08:24 PM
I've got it:

We'll stay up with a record low amount of points.

It'll make up for going down with a record number of points.

ANDI29
23-09-2017, 08:26 PM
😂😂😂 I still find it funny that we haven't scored incredible really

CharlieCPFC
23-09-2017, 08:27 PM

Yep, a very wankerish thing to say. Instead of admitting a big cock up and suggesting how he's rectifying our problems he just tried deflecting them and playing them down.

st albans
23-09-2017, 08:39 PM
😂😂😂 I still find it funny that we haven't scored incredible really

Considering we've played some average teams it's beyond embarrassing

SE5eagle
23-09-2017, 08:46 PM
Think we should aim for eight games.

The record will be unassailable.

Mr Palace
23-09-2017, 08:49 PM
The thing is - the record is going to be impossible to beat by the time we've played Chelsea...

It's almost impossible to play six games and not score a single goal. God I hate what FDB did to this team and throwing away our early winnable fixtures.

Hopefully roy can turn this round but it's a huge task.

rhiannapaul
23-09-2017, 09:01 PM
I'm embarrassed supporting this joke team this season .the players are thiefs .stealing massive wage for f all return. Gave up second half strolled around .no leader on pitch bloody embarrassing

New LP
23-09-2017, 10:22 PM
I find that last sentence strange. There are lots of Palace fans who don't like seeing us be very poor for the majority of two years. That doesn't mean we don't enjoy supporting the club on the whole.

Yes, it's tiresome to continually be told by these people on here that because you are unhappy with things that you shouldn't support the club. I actually don't get it.

The Omen
23-09-2017, 10:26 PM
The thing is - the record is going to be impossible to beat by the time we've played Chelsea...

It's almost impossible to play six games and not score a single goal. God I hate what FDB did to this team and throwing away our early winnable fixtures.

Sam Allardyce acheived close to the same record in his last 5 games...

I don't think the manager is the problem personally.

New LP
23-09-2017, 10:28 PM

Just because you couldn't do any better doesn't mean you can't see when someone else is making a pig's ear of it.

A desperate argument. From an increasingly desperate poster whose only tactic now is to try and close down discussion on here.

It's like saying you can't have a view on the Prime Minister because you aren't PM yourself and might not be able to do the job.

Following this rationale can anyone have a view or opinion on anything?

Kirby
23-09-2017, 10:28 PM
Scenes when we finally score :D

New LP
23-09-2017, 10:31 PM

These comments sum up the problem.

PeterH
23-09-2017, 10:32 PM

And people regard them as better than 1990 based on supposed fitness and modern nutricion.

I don't recall Bright, Thomas, Gray, Thorn or others being out for half a season. Wright had a broken leg and still made a cameo in the final that blew football apart.

This lot - Zaha and Speroni apart couldn't hold a candle to any of that great side. And two that maybe can are loanees.

PeterH
23-09-2017, 10:36 PM
We have had ample opportunity to break this cycle by being in the Premier League for five years.

Instead, that opportunity looks like it's going to be snatched from our hands, and it's all on one person as far as I'm concerned.

With no legacy - no acadamy worth a mention and nothing but a coat of paint on the ground.

Next season they can rent out the fanzone to food trucks or at least have a jumble sale there once every two weeks to help out the local community. The local community will become important again in the Championship, although more than half of them are Arsenal supporting wankstains.

GorBlimey
23-09-2017, 10:39 PM

No it's not.

People shouting about how shit things are without having a f*cking clue how anything could be done to change the situation is childish and frankly pathetic.

New LP
23-09-2017, 11:01 PM
No it's not.

People shouting about how shit things are without having a f*cking clue how anything could be done to change the situation is childish and frankly pathetic.

I think many people have said what they think should have been done.

Not go into a season with one fit forward.
Not go into a season with Wayne Hennessey as our no 1 keeper when it's been clear for years now that he isn't good enough.
Not go into a season deciding to play total football with this squad only to ditch the idea a few games in having not backed the manager.
Not leave important signings until transfer deadline day and end up empty handed.

The list could go on and on. Of course it's hard to know what can be done now. We are kind of screwed until January by which we are likely to be as good as relegated.

palacelad197o
23-09-2017, 11:08 PM
:pI think many people have said what they think should have been done.

Not go into a season with Wayne Hennessey as our no 1 keeper when it's been clear for years now that he isn't good enough.
Not go into a season deciding to play total football with this squad only to ditch the idea a few games in having not backed the manager.
Not leave important signings until transfer deadline day and end up empty handed.

The list could go on and on. Of course it's hard to know what can be done now. We are kind of screwed until January by which we are likely to be as good as relegated.

:p

GorBlimey
23-09-2017, 11:09 PM
I think many people have said what they think should have been done.

What magic wand would you have waved to achieve the above?

It's people like you that make the knee-jerk reactions happen.

Shutting the f*ck up at this stage of the season would probably help us right now.

Panic can set in around Christmas.

meee
23-09-2017, 11:16 PM
It's not often I agree with New LP and disagree with GorBlimey but on this occasion I do.The problems we currently have were predictable because we've had them for a while.The lack of squad depth in every position other than central midfield has been a problem for a while and now we have arguably less squad depth than last season.We signed a goalkeeper last summer to sort out that problem and now he's gone with no replacement.We've had a problem with continuity of managers and coaching staff for the last few years and then decide to sack the manager and lose practically all of our coaching staff 4 games into a season.These are things that were easily avoidable.

meee
23-09-2017, 11:21 PM

It's easy to blame the manager but our problems are far bigger than that.De Boer was the least of our issues.

GorBlimey
23-09-2017, 11:30 PM
It's not often I agree with New LP and disagree with GorBlimey but on this occasion I do.

Well go f*ck yourself. :D

TAK
24-09-2017, 12:03 AM
We're famous.

bradpitt
24-09-2017, 12:05 AM
This has been brewing since December 2015

racehorse-80s
24-09-2017, 12:20 AM
What's the most goals against from the start of a season before a team has scored one themselves ? we must be close to that record .

laths
24-09-2017, 01:07 AM
As mentioned before the players ain’t bothered for the shirt ( except Speroni and Saha ) the rest are just stealing a living from cpfc and couldn’t give a 4x.

Bipe
24-09-2017, 04:09 AM
I must admit I was a little concerned when I heard Steve Parish interviewed on radio 5 some time around the middle of August - he was asked why football clubs seem to leave the vast majority of their transfer business until right at the end of the window and he gave a fairly flippant answer along the lines of 'well it's like any work situation, the closer the deadline looms the busier you get'. Probably true in a literal sense but it didn't exactly inspire confidence that here was a man working to a plan.

Anyway the good news is that Shrewsbury are absolutely flying at the top of League 1, so those of us of 1980s vintage might be able to look forward to renewing rivalries next season!

Far East Eagle
24-09-2017, 05:21 AM
As mentioned before the players ainít bothered for the shirt ( except Speroni and Saha ) the rest are just stealing a living from cpfc and couldnít give a 4x.
Ah yes, them halycon days of Louis Saha giving away 4x4s. Will we ever see the like again?

Scroatey
24-09-2017, 09:32 AM
Do the players score goals in the warm up? I'd meet that with an ironic cheer.

west eagle
24-09-2017, 09:54 AM
Are the players not embaressed to have this on their CV?

Truly a honour they could do without, being in the team with the worst start to a season in history, I would be mortified.

windy
24-09-2017, 09:55 AM
Every little ting..............

bigGcpfc
24-09-2017, 10:03 AM
These comments sum up the problem.

How ?

IanH
24-09-2017, 10:18 AM
being in the team with the worst start to a season in history, I would be mortified.

If I was earning what these players are earning I think I could live with it - none of them are Palace fans.

Herr Colonpharter
24-09-2017, 10:20 AM

Sounds very RGN ish :(

thehalifaxman
24-09-2017, 10:25 AM
It's easy to blame the manager but our problems are far bigger than that.De Boer was the least of our issues.

the least of our issues? He tried to implement some ridiculous formation that hasn't worked all summer and clearly didn't suit the players we had. it's ridiculous to sack someone after only 4 games but it was probably clear to those within the club that this guy was totally wrong for us before a ball was kicked in the league. he didn't get signings in and he wasted the games against the shit teams.

dim
24-09-2017, 10:51 AM
That is spot on.

spt1978
24-09-2017, 11:01 AM
Which it is.

First 11 when fit is bursting with talent, not the squad.

SussexRed&Blue
24-09-2017, 11:15 AM
It's almost like a Gypsy has laid a curse over the club. The ball just will not go in the net. Anyone seen any Caravans close to Selhurst with Charlton stickers attached?!

Arsenal were nicknamed "The Invincibles" maybe we could be called "The Unscoreables"!

Malarkey
24-09-2017, 11:18 AM

Spurs away is coming up

Mike Elwiss
24-09-2017, 11:28 AM
unfortunately I don't think we have hit the bottom of the barrel yet and likely that after 8 games we will be 7or 8 points from safety.
we need to get the same mentality back that we had in 2010 when we were docked 10 points ... us against the rest of the world .. it will be the greatest escape in the history of football !!

Mr Bo Jangles
24-09-2017, 11:31 AM
Four managers in 9 months won't have helped. Different tactics, different coaches and ideas, fitness regimes. No continuity spells disaster.

bigGcpfc
24-09-2017, 11:45 AM
What magic wand would you have waved to achieve the above?

It's people like you that make the knee-jerk reactions happen.

Shutting the f*ck up at this stage of the season would probably help us right now.

Panic can set in around Christmas.

So you don't think our results cause the knee jerk reactions ? Why should anyone 'shut the f**k up ? If they have an opinion this is the place for it to be heard. Agree or disagree but your voice is no more important than any other voice. Anyway , now is the time to panic and not xmas when it will be far too late by then.

Coastal Palace
24-09-2017, 11:49 AM
5-nil away to the best, most expensive team in the country...they've got every right to beat us 5-nil. No shame in that.
Watford got it worse. And at home too!

Billyd
24-09-2017, 11:52 AM
5-nil away to the best, most expensive team in the country...they've got every right to beat us 5-nil. No shame in that.

Watford are currently in 6th and in centention for Europe. We have had the worst start in English football history. Yeah they got it worse.

bigGcpfc
24-09-2017, 11:53 AM

I bet SP wishes there were more Palace fans like you who have such low expectations from our team.

Coastal Palace
24-09-2017, 11:53 AM
Watford are currently in 6th and in centention for Europe. We have had the worst start in English football history. Yeah they got it worse.

So the season's finished now then is it?

WorthingEagle
24-09-2017, 11:55 AM

Might as well give up if that's the best a squad that cost £150m odd, with a wage bill of £100m a year, can hope for.

We should be delighted we're even allowed to play them, and all be made to suck off a Man City fan at half-time.

Coastal Palace
24-09-2017, 11:56 AM
I bet SP wishes there were more Palace fans like you who have such low expectations from our team.

You're joking me surely? What were you expecting?
They're one of the best sides in the world.
We were never going to get anything there. To think otherwise is delusional.

Coastal Palace
24-09-2017, 12:01 PM
Might as well give up if that's the best a squad that cost £150m odd, with a wage bill of £100m a year, can hope for.

We should be delighted we're even allowed to play them, and all be made to suck off a Man City fan at half-time.

How did you honestly think we would fare up there then?
Did you think we'd win? Or sneak a point?
I'm glad, given the recent upheavals, that we kept it to single figures.

bigGcpfc
24-09-2017, 12:03 PM
You're joking me surely? What were you expecting?
They're one of the best sides in the world.
We were never going to get anything there. To think otherwise is delusional.

The capitulation was a worry. Every team see's us a given 6 points this season.That is maybe the only thing that could work in our favour. They all play a weakened side against us to save their best for the real challenges.

Coastal Palace
24-09-2017, 12:07 PM
The capitulation was a worry. Every team see's us a given 6 points this season.That is maybe the only thing that could work in our favour. They all play a weakened side against us to save their best for the real challenges.

They will hammer a few more teams 5-nil and more this season.
And weakened side? They haven't got one.

WorthingEagle
24-09-2017, 12:11 PM
How did you honestly think we would fare up there then?
Did you think we'd win? Or sneak a point?
I'm glad, given the recent upheavals, that we kept it to single figures.

Did we expect us to win at Chelsea last season? No, of course not, but this is football, it can happen if you stay in the game.

It certainly won't if you give up after the first goal goes in. It's not like we were battered up to then, we arguably had the better chances and promising situations up to then.

Windsor_Eagle
24-09-2017, 12:28 PM

Swallows. Summer. All that jazz.

Season reviews of other teams are best delivered in April / May.

Of course we have plenty to rue on for ourselves, but I'm keen to see where we could get to over 30 odd games with Roy. He's given me more confidence than I thought he would initially.

Payroll Legend
24-09-2017, 12:34 PM
So what. As things stand we are 1 win away from being in the pack.

Coastal Palace
24-09-2017, 12:36 PM
Did we expect us to win at Chelsea last season? No, of course not, but this is football, it can happen if you stay in the game.

It certainly won't if you give up after the first goal goes in. It's not like we were battered up to then, we arguably had the better chances and promising situations up to then.

So you thought we'd beat Man City at their ground?

WorthingEagle
24-09-2017, 12:49 PM

What? Where did I say that? Try reading, and actually comprehending posts. If you prefer, I can switch to crayon drawings.

Mr Palace
24-09-2017, 01:26 PM

de Boer was a huge contributor factor. He was garbage and wasted our pre season and first four games. We are in this mess because of him and the board's failure to strengthen the keeper and striker positions.

But what's done is done and all we can do is hope the damage is reparable.

old git
24-09-2017, 02:57 PM
In our first season back it was a home victory against Chelsea in late March that started our fight back.Lets hope for the same again.:p

CPFC.1990
24-09-2017, 03:32 PM
The only reason we stayed up was because of results against the likes of Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool. We are not going to be able to get those kind of victories this season.

We've already lost to Hudds, Southampton, Burnley and Swansea....If we wanted to stay up then these are games we had to get at least 10 points from. The only way we can get these 10 back is by getting 3 wins and a draw from the likes of Arsenal, Spurs, Man Utd and a Chelsea. It's not going to happen.

CPFC.1990
24-09-2017, 03:34 PM
de Boer was a huge contributor factor. He was garbage and wasted our pre season and first four games. We are in this mess because of him and the board's failure to strengthen the keeper and striker positions.

But what's done is done and all we can do is hope the damage is reparable.

The failure of the summer was all down to Parish. From taking too long to make the appointment, making the wrong appointment and not giving de Boer the money to play 3-5-2.

richdeniro
24-09-2017, 03:37 PM
The failure of the summer was all down to Parish. From taking too long to make the appointment, making the wrong appointment and not giving de Boer the money to play 3-5-2.

I don't know why he took so long to appoint him unless he was holding out for Pellegrino.

He interviewed a heck of a lot of people by the sounds of things. Not sure why he bothered interview people like Robbie Savage though, surely it's a complete waste of time.

Mr Palace
24-09-2017, 03:48 PM

I think that's partly true but I think FDB is also to blame for playing a system and his choice of individuals which clearly didn't suit us. To get zero points from those first four games was inept management of the highest order.

baldeagle68
24-09-2017, 04:13 PM

You sir are 100% correct how dare he be part owner of our club and not have a £zillion to spend.....
You'd think he'd at least have a few money trees.....
Where do you think the money comes from???
He's spent £70m+ this year alone ffs.
And how do you know he didn't try and buy a keeper and striker...you one of the ITK crew who real know F all???

PremierPalace
24-09-2017, 04:14 PM
I don't know why he took so long to appoint him unless he was holding out for Pellegrino.

He interviewed a heck of a lot of people by the sounds of things. Not sure why he bothered interview people like Robbie Savage though, surely it's a complete waste of time.

Did he interview Robbie Savage?! Wtf?!

Jon_C-Pal
24-09-2017, 04:16 PM

Well how else were we to free up Dann as our striker? come on man.

CPFC.1990
24-09-2017, 04:19 PM
You sir are 100% correct how dare he be part owner of our club and not have a £zillion to spend.....
You'd think he'd at least have a few money trees.....
Where do you think the money comes from???
He's spent £70m+ this year alone ffs.
And how do you know he didn't try and buy a keeper and striker...you one of the ITK crew who real know F all???

Lol. Calm down silly.

de Boer spent £8m. What was the point of giving the bloke the job if you weren't going to buy into his vision. Perhaps BFS bought players that de Boer didn't need/want? Why did we buy Sakho when it was clear we needed at least 1 other striker and a goalkeeper.

You, SIR, know f'all!

richdeniro
24-09-2017, 04:22 PM
Did he interview Robbie Savage?! Wtf?!

Yep apparently so.

Jon_C-Pal
24-09-2017, 04:27 PM

Soooo u thought we would be Chelsea at theirs last season then? Truth is we could have sneaked a nil nil had the players not made mistakes.for.the first then totally gave up.

Bipe
24-09-2017, 04:36 PM
Yep apparently so.

This has to be a myth. Surely.

The only possible topic of conversation between the two of them would be hairstyling hints and tips.

If true (and I refuse to believe it is), it would make the 'Marco Silva practically begged us for an interview' comment all the more alarming.

baldeagle68
24-09-2017, 04:38 PM
There you go again are you Sp's right hand for arse wiping?
WTF do you know about who we tried to sign???
WTF do you know about which players de Boer wanted......Oh you read the papers lol
Get a ******* grip. Do you think you just bid agree a price and the players yours?
99% of the crap in the press is just that "CRAP" but it give us all something to talk about you're like so many on here willing to criticize the club you're supposed to support with ZERO facts to back anything you spout up.
What was the club to do with players BFS bought? Other clubs need to want to buy them if we are to move them on. And why did we buy Sakho??? well if you were at City yesterday you would of seen why even at 60/70% match fit he improves us. Yes we all believe we need another striker and keeper and again how do you know we didn't try and sign one???
I'll bow down to your vast knowledge of all thinks that happen behind closed doors at SP!

McpfcS
24-09-2017, 04:38 PM
Yep apparently so.

Absolute nonsense

Raggy
24-09-2017, 04:41 PM
The only reason we stayed up was because of results against the likes of Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool. We are not going to be able to get those kind of victories this season.

We've already lost to Hudds, Southampton, Burnley and Swansea....If we wanted to stay up then these are games we had to get at least 10 points from. The only way we can get these 10 back is by getting 3 wins and a draw from the likes of Arsenal, Spurs, Man Utd and a Chelsea. It's not going to happen.

Winning as many as we lose would put us in mid-table :confused:

More realistically we have to win return games against the first four.

CPFC.1990
24-09-2017, 04:50 PM
There you go again are you Sp's right hand for arse wiping?
WTF do you know about who we tried to sign???
WTF do you know about which players de Boer wanted......Oh you read the papers lol
Get a ******* grip. Do you think you just bid agree a price and the players yours?
99% of the crap in the press is just that "CRAP" but it give us all something to talk about you're like so many on here willing to criticize the club you're supposed to support with ZERO facts to back anything you spout up.
What was the club to do with players BFS bought? Other clubs need to want to buy them if we are to move them on. And why did we buy Sakho??? well if you were at City yesterday you would of seen why even at 60/70% match fit he improves us. Yes we all believe we need another striker and keeper and again how do you know we didn't try and sign one???
I'll bow down to your vast knowledge of all thinks that happen behind closed doors at SP!

Think you need a nap! LOL :supergrin:

Jon_C-Pal
24-09-2017, 04:55 PM
Just to add insult to injury Brighton are 7 points above us and look 10x the team we look ffs. What an embarrassment this club has become under the ownership of who some think is a messiah.

Never seen such unprofessionalism from any team as we are seeing with Palace right now. Can't quite believe, after 7 years or being a chairman and learning nothing, there are still people who.think he's fit to run this club.

GreatGonzo
24-09-2017, 04:59 PM
You, SIR, know f'all!

Which is the same as you.

And pretty much everyone else on these boards. None of us actually KNOW what did and didn't happen.

CPFC.1990
24-09-2017, 05:03 PM
Which is the same as you.

And pretty much everyone else on these boards. None of us actually KNOW what did and didn't happen.

We all know we didn't bring in a GK or a striker, we know de Boer was a mistake and we know it took far too long to appoint de Boer in the first place.

exiledeagle
24-09-2017, 05:03 PM
7 points behind Brighton
9 points behind Newcastle Burnley Huddersfield
11 points behind Watford

All teams I thought would struggle - how depressing and Chelsea Man Utd to come

GreatGonzo
24-09-2017, 05:04 PM

Maths not a strong point?

If we fail to get a single point against the big 6 we would need 36 points+ in the other 26 games. Even 39 points means 1.5 points per game. So all we need to do to correct the points we didn't win that you think we should is beat them in the return game.

NRM the 2nd
24-09-2017, 05:05 PM
Just to add insult to injury Brighton are 7 points above us and look 10x the team we look ffs. What an embarrassment this club has become under the ownership of who some think is a messiah.

Never seen such unprofessionalism from any team as we are seeing with Palace right now. Can't quite believe, after 7 years or being a chairman and learning nothing, there are still people who.think he's fit to run this club.

Could not agree more. It's not even amateurish how we've be run in recent times, It's beyond that. It's difficult to comprehend the decisions that have been made and things that have been said. O What other chairman comes on radio and admits their mistakes isn't he wonderful. What other chairman are making the continued mistakes he is. This is a ****@ng embarrassment beyond which I've not seen in my time and he has masterminded it as simple as that

CPFC.1990
24-09-2017, 05:06 PM
7 points behind Brighton
9 points behind Newcastle Burnley Huddersfield
11 points behind Watford

All teams I thought would struggle - how depressing and Chelsea Man Utd to come

With our goal difference you can add another point onto each of those teams.

Win our next game and we will still be bottom.

CPFC.1990
24-09-2017, 05:07 PM
Maths not a strong point?

If we fail to get a single point against the big 6 we would need 36 points+ in the other 26 games. Even 39 points means 1.5 points per game. So all we need to do to correct the points we didn't win that you think we should is beat them in the return game.

The maths are irrelevant when you look at our form.

Get back to worshipping Lewis Price, there's a good Gonzo.

Kylie_Tracey
24-09-2017, 05:10 PM
we are going to be so adrift after 8-10 games, its untenable IMO

CPFC.1990
24-09-2017, 05:11 PM
People also seem to think we will suddenly get a result at St James'. Could be 9 games before we see a win.

Jon_C-Pal
24-09-2017, 05:15 PM
People also seem to think we will suddenly get a result at St James'. Could be 9 games before we see a win.

When was the last time we got 3 points at St James Park? Even draws have been hard to come by.

CPFC.1990
24-09-2017, 05:16 PM
When was the last time we got 3 points at St James Park? Even draws have been hard to come by.

Lombardo.

Kylie_Tracey
24-09-2017, 05:18 PM
Could not agree more. It's not even amateurish how we've be run in recent times, It's beyond that. It's difficult to comprehend the decisions that have been made and things that have been said. O What other chairman comes on radio and admits their mistakes isn't he wonderful. What other chairman are making the continued mistakes he is. This is a ****@ng embarrassment beyond which I've not seen in my time and he has masterminded it as simple as that

look at the gems some teams are unearthing this season, Richarlison for example looks quick,strong a good finisher, hungry, lively , where is our scouting department?, why aren't we unearthing gems like this?

richdeniro
24-09-2017, 05:19 PM

The players morale by that game will be at rock bottom. Our goal difference could be in the minus 20's by then.

Can only see us getting a win if we play a team who gifts us a win - like we did for Villa a couple of years ago.

bigGcpfc
24-09-2017, 05:22 PM

You are not allowed to be embarrassed by our team. Every person who has said that is shouted down. Is Parish allowed to be embarrassed ? We not only are the joke of English football, it is now the whole of Europe. If we were a racehorse they would be pulling the screens around us now and a vet making his way to us with a pistol.

GreatGonzo
24-09-2017, 05:23 PM
The maths are irrelevant when you look at our form.

Get back to worshipping Lewis Price, there's a good Gonzo.

Maths probably are irrelevant if you cannot grasp basic multiplication and division which judging from your post stating we have to get points against the top 6 you cannot.

As for your Lewis Price comment you merely confirm your ignorance!

Great Lombardi
24-09-2017, 05:25 PM
If this is an embarrassment beyond which you've not seen you clearly have not been supporting Palace long???

How old are you ten?

Bit tired of all these fans thinking being bottom of the Prem is the end of the universe... we've been here before.

Have a Sunday dinner and cheer up [emoji6]

palacemetros
24-09-2017, 05:27 PM
The players morale by that game will be at rock bottom. Our goal difference could be in the minus 20's by then.

Can only see us getting a win if we play a team who gifts us a win - like we did for Villa a couple of years ago.

And that did them no good anyway.

dim
24-09-2017, 05:29 PM
The league is designed for churn. It wears clubs like ours out over time. It's hard to keep moving forward.

GreatGonzo
24-09-2017, 05:30 PM
we are going to be so adrift after 8-10 games, its untenable IMO

It is likely we will be 8 points from safety after 8 games. Then we go into a run of games that under Hodgson we have a reasonable chance of winning, especially if Zaha is back, depending on how long Benteke and Wickham are out, but with full strength defence and midfield options.

After 15 games (Brighton match) we could be right back in the hunt again if we have a decent run of results. 4 wins and a draw out of those 7 and we would in all likelihood be either out of the bottom 3 or within a win of being so.

Lets not forget that would be the same position from which we survived and finished 11th in our first season up.

redsox
24-09-2017, 05:32 PM
First team to go 10 games wothout A WIN and a goal and survives. Gonna be a wonderful season.

WorthingEagle
24-09-2017, 05:33 PM
Maths probably are irrelevant if you cannot grasp basic multiplication and division which judging from your post stating we have to get points against the top 6 you cannot.

Mark, if I hadn't met you, your posts would lead me to believe you look and talk like this....

https://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/simpsons/images/c/cb/Comicbookguy.gif/revision/latest?cb=20120624090208

old git
24-09-2017, 05:34 PM
It is likely we will be 8 points from safety after 8 games. Then we go into a run of games that under Hodgson we have a reasonable chance of winning, especially if Zaha is back, depending on how long Benteke and Wickham are out, but with full strength defence and midfield options.

After 15 games (Brighton match) we could be right back in the hunt again if we have a decent run of results. 4 wins and a draw out of those 7 and we would in all likelihood be either out of the bottom 3 or within a win of being so.

Lets not forget that would be the same position from which we survived and finished 11th in our first season up.

Four wins and a draw ? Seriously mate have you seen anything to suggest we could go on a run like that?

Kylie_Tracey
24-09-2017, 05:37 PM

its all if and buts and maybe's , we had a genius at the helm at the peak of his powers , a brilliant manager, we have nothing of the sort now our goal difference is the worst in the league and will likely remain like it for the remainder of the season, thats as good as an point extra for our rivals

CPFC.1990
24-09-2017, 05:38 PM

Yeah, ok Gonzo..... Kolinkins proved it in detail. But you carry on.

GreatGonzo
24-09-2017, 05:40 PM
Four wins and a draw.Seriously mate have you seen anything to suggest we could go on a run like that?

Yup.

Before this weekend (so it may have changed) only top 6 (or big 6? i forget which) had created more shooting opportunities than Palace.

We have not failed to score because we cannot create chances, we have failed to score because we haven't had those elements of fortune that sometimes you need to turn a chance into a goal. Slightly scuffing a shot, the ball going between a players legs, the inside of the post instead of hitting it flush etc.

At some point that will change. The players don't look like they have given up/aren't trying. If we get the first goal, that first win i think things will change around pretty quickly.

If others don't and are sure we are relegated already then for their own mental health i would suggest they stop going because the rest of this season will not do them any good.

CPFC.1990
24-09-2017, 05:41 PM

If, we could, if, we could, if........LOL :D

I thought you only dealt in maths and facts....?? Don't be a hypocrite now.

GreatGonzo
24-09-2017, 05:41 PM
Yeah, ok Gonzo..... Kolinkins proved it in detail. But you carry on.

Not he didn't but i would not expect you to understand that.

old git
24-09-2017, 05:42 PM
Yup.

Before this weekend (so it may have changed) only top 6 (or big 6? i forget which) had created more shooting opportunities than Palace.

We have not failed to score because we cannot create chances, we have failed to score because we haven't had those elements of fortune that sometimes you need to turn a chance into a goal. Slightly scuffing a shot, the ball going between a players legs, the inside of the post instead of hitting it flush etc.

At some point that will change. The players don't look like they have given up/aren't trying. If we get the first goal, that first win i think things will change around pretty quickly.

If others don't and are sure we are relegated already then for their own mental health i would suggest they stop going because the rest of this season will not do them any good.
I've seen it all before so Palace being shit is not going to do any more harm to my mental health.
Wibble.

CPFC.1990
24-09-2017, 05:43 PM
Yup.

Wow, just wow. :D

GreatGonzo
If, we could, if, we could, if........LOL :D

I thought you only dealt in maths and facts....?? Don't be a hypocrite now.

Difference is i haven't given up on the team i support.

You have!

Maybe they should have loyalty points for that?

CPFC.1990

The gift that keeps on giving......:lux:

NRM the 2nd
24-09-2017, 05:46 PM
If this is an embarrassment beyond which you've not seen you clearly have not been supporting Palace long???

How old are you ten?

Bit tired of all these fans thinking being bottom of the Prem is the end of the universe... we've been here before.

Have a Sunday dinner and cheer up [emoji6]

About 27 years now and i stick by that statement. In that time we've never given ourselves such an amazing opportunity then screwed it up so royally when it's been obvious to everyone bar the so called fan running the club what is glaringly wrong and what needed addressing. Will we still be licking his arse and saying best chairman ever when we are where Sunderland currently sit this time next year. To now have no fit strikers at premier level after 5 years and just be told o well benteke may not get injured is an embarrassment and should never ever allowed to have happened.

Duffle Coat
24-09-2017, 05:46 PM
Is there a sports psychologist on the staff? It strikes me that he/she is in the back room slurping a tea and nibbling a club milk. They're certainly not engaging with the players going by yesterday's second half. Personally, have doubts that Roy can motivate them. Something has to happen. We have to go for something at OT. Right now, I believe a goal would really lift the lads morale. If by some fluke we take the lead, even against Moan, we might go n to win. I just feel Roy has the kind of mentality that says we don't really kick on till after Chelsea. That thinking is not good.

CPFC.1990
24-09-2017, 05:47 PM

You have!

Now, now, don't lose your cool. Stick to the maths....tell us all how easy this is going to be. Even though you suggest we can still stay up even if we get zero points from 12 games against Arsenal, Man City, Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool and Spurs.

Kylie_Tracey
24-09-2017, 05:50 PM
Is there a sports psychologist on the staff? It strikes me that he/she is in the back room slurping a tea and nibbling a club milk. They're certainly not engaging with the players going by yesterday's second half. Personally, have doubts that Roy can motivate them. Something has to happen. We have to go for something at OT. Right now, I believe a goal would really lift the lads morale. If by some fluke we take the lead, even against Moan, we might go n to win. I just feel Roy has the kind of mentality that says we don't really kick on till after Chelsea. That thinking is not good.

sports psychologist at our club? we are still serving steak egg and chips for the prematch meal having tea and orange segments at half time and running up sand dunes in the preseason :confused:

CPFC.1990
24-09-2017, 05:51 PM

Why don't you tell the rest of the BBS what you said about Kolinkins via rep to me??

CPFC.1990
24-09-2017, 05:57 PM

You have!

By your maths we will have a total of 66 points to play for.

Once we lose the 12 games against the top six and the 4 other games we have already lost against the lesser teams.

That is some amazing run of form we are going to have to go on to stay up. Unless of course we will get all those 66 points.

GreatGonzo
24-09-2017, 06:09 PM
Now, now, don't lose your cool. Stick to the maths....tell us all how easy this is going to be. Even though you suggest we can still stay up even if we get zero points from 12 games against Arsenal, Man City, Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool and Spurs.

Where did i say it would be easy? Just said i think we will do it.

If you check the post you will see i did the maths for you!

GreatGonzo
24-09-2017, 06:10 PM
Why don't you tell the rest of the BBS what you said about Kolinkins via rep to me??

I have several times! Never been denied.

GreatGonzo
24-09-2017, 06:11 PM
By your maths we will have a total of 66 points to play for.

Once we lose the 12 games against the top six and the 4 other games we have already lost against the lesser teams.

That is some amazing run of form we are going to have to go on to stay up. Unless of course we will get all those 66 points.

So you admit that we can stay up without needing to beat the top 6?

palacemetros
24-09-2017, 06:18 PM
Target:

Home wins vs West Ham, Bournemouth, Burnley, Newcastle, Brighton = 15 points
Home draws vs Stoke, Watford, Leicester, West Brom = 4 points
Away wins at Brighton (have to!), Swansea, Huddersfield, Watford = 12 points
Away draws at Newcastle, West Brom, Bournemouth = 3 points

That's a total of 34 points

So we will probably need 4-6 points from Chelsea (h & a)
Moan U (h & a)
Spuds (h & a)
Arse (h & a)
Citeh ( h )
L'pool ( a )
Everton (h & a)
Stoke ( a )
Leicester ( a )
Spammers ( a )
So'ton ( a )

Looked at like this, it's far from over yet.

GreatGonzo
24-09-2017, 06:24 PM
Target:

Moan U (h & a)
Spuds (h & a)
Arse (h & a)
Citeh ( h )
L'pool ( a )
Everton (h & a)
Stoke ( a )
Leicester ( a )
Spammers ( a )
So'ton ( a )

Shouldn't fear Stoke, Watford, Leicester and West Brom at home either but winning half our remaining home games (4D 1L) against those not in big 6 is a reasonable target.

I suspect we may win more than 1/3 drawing another 1/3 of those teams away too as you propose. As you say that is without any points against the big 6. Far from over, its September FFS.

eagleincroydon
24-09-2017, 06:24 PM
players look half asleep , uninterested

st albans
24-09-2017, 06:26 PM
Four wins and a draw ? Seriously mate have you seen anything to suggest we could go on a run like that?

Absolutely no chance. People seem to think that we'll get a couple of players back and then suddenly be in a position to win most of the games we play. It's utter lunecy. Last season we were utter shite for most of it and only survived by beating a couple of the top teams where we got a fair bit of luck against Chelsea and Liverpool (penalties that should have been given). This team and squad has been in decline since Dec 2015 and this start to the season isn't a blip, it's a measure of the averageness of the team. People go on about the first 11 on paper being one of the best outside the top 6 or 7. It's nonsense. Barring one or two it's bang average and thia I feel will be one season too far of ******* around in the transfer market. We should have got relegated that first season, it's been amazing, but I just cannot see how we'll get out of this mess. Failed to score in ten of the last eleven games. **** me

st albans
24-09-2017, 06:29 PM
Target:

Moan U (h & a)
Spuds (h & a)
Arse (h & a)
Citeh ( h )
L'pool ( a )
Everton (h & a)
Stoke ( a )
Leicester ( a )
Spammers ( a )
So'ton ( a )

We are horrendous at home. No chance we'll win 5 and draw 4. Seriously underestimating some of the quality in teams like Watford, West Brom, West ham, stoke, etc. They are better than us this season

CP-RJW
24-09-2017, 06:35 PM
We are horrendous at home. No chance we'll win 5 and draw 4. Seriously underestimating some of the quality in teams like Watford, West Brom, West ham, stoke, etc. They are better than us this season
On paper we can still compete with and beat those teams as long as our key players are on the pitch, but quality won't be what would change our season imo. In FDB's words, "the team needs to show balls." With a bit of fight and grit we can get a result against anyone on our day.

bigGcpfc
24-09-2017, 06:46 PM
On paper we can still compete with and beat those teams as long as our key players are on the pitch, but quality won't be what would change our season imo. In FDB's words, "the team needs to show balls." With a bit of fight and grit we can get a result against anyone on our day.

Alas football matches are not played on paper. And with the squad we have it's hard to see us get a draw from any where let alone a win.

rhiannapaul
24-09-2017, 06:48 PM
Wont beat watford playing good stuff under thier new manager
Jan window we need 6 players at least

macs-tash
24-09-2017, 06:51 PM
I honestly believe we can pull this off. Unlike other relegation fodder we have some great players like Sakho, Zaha, Cabaye, Townsend (on his day) and Benteke when he's fit. Roy just needs to motivate them and get organised. Yes we tried to change too quickly and yes we had an appalling transfer window but on our day we could do something special. We just need resilience a backbone and guts. This will be the great escape and we will learn from this and back strong next year.

I also think we need to get Bolasie back in January as he seems one resilient character who'd be great to have in the dressing room...

TouchyAndalou
24-09-2017, 07:07 PM
Why don't you tell the rest of the BBS what you said about Kolinkins via rep to me??Oooohhhhh drama!

rambo1
24-09-2017, 07:17 PM
I honestly believe we can pull this off. Unlike other relegation fodder we have some great players like Sakho, Zaha, Cabaye, Townsend (on his day) and Benteke when he's fit. Roy just needs to motivate them and get organised. Yes we tried to change too quickly and yes we had an appalling transfer window but on our day we could do something special. We just need resilience a backbone and guts. This will be the great escape and we will learn from this and back strong next year.

I also think we need to get Bolasie back in January as he seems one resilient character who'd be great to have in the dressing room...

Absolutely.
We've only Played 6 Games,still in September & 32 Games to Go.
Roy Hodgson will,as Sam Allardyce,who Joined in January &,after a Poor Start,Kept us up.

palacemetros
24-09-2017, 07:27 PM

We have been horrendous at home for three years. We still managed 6 wins and 2 draws last season, so 5 wins and 4 draws is not impossible. The teams you quote are not to be under-estimated but neither are they world beaters. Currently, EVERYBODY has been better than us this season. If you think things cannot change then you are resigned to relegation which is a valid opinion. However, it is equally valid to think that performances and results can and will improve sufficiently to achieve this modicum of success.

mrgins
24-09-2017, 07:33 PM
Thought we played very well in the first half yesterday. Roy put out a great starting line up although I'm not sure why punch came on instead of macca. Zaha will make a difference and were gaining confidence. I'm not throwing in the towel yet

jaspercpfc
24-09-2017, 07:35 PM

https://media.giphy.com/media/tyqcJoNjNv0Fq/giphy.gif

CP-RJW
24-09-2017, 07:35 PM
Alas football matches are not played on paper. .

Agreed, which is why I'm not remotely worried about how good we look on paper compared to other teams, I'm worried about if this group of players will fight with blood sweat and tears for the shirt to stay in the Prem. To be honest, I can't see it, they're seemingly not the most courageous bunch, and Hodgson's a decent manager but it's impossible to imagine him being even remotely inspiring.

Jon_C-Pal
24-09-2017, 07:45 PM
Agreed, which is why I'm not remotely worried about how good we look on paper compared to other teams, I'm worried about if this group of players will fight with blood sweat and tears for the shirt to stay in the Prem. To be honest, I can't see it, they're seemingly not the most courageous bunch, and Hodgson's a decent manager but it's impossible to imagine him being even remotely inspiring.

Although he's now injured, Benteke worries me most. I've never seen such a weak willed player like him. When the chips are down he goes missing.

cpfc 81
24-09-2017, 07:46 PM
Bloody hell 32 games left and I hope the players believe in themselves more that some on here.

Relegation has been prevented from worse positions than ours, it's going to be a slog but 1 result can change everything we should know that more than most.

Long road ahead but sooner we get that win the fixtures after next 2 are nicely spread so all to play for marathon not a sprint hence a few seasons ago everyone moaning we weren't in Europe that's how quickly things change

Duffle Coat
24-09-2017, 07:47 PM
Target:

Moan U (h & a)
Spuds (h & a)
Arse (h & a)
Citeh ( h )
L'pool ( a )
Everton (h & a)
Stoke ( a )
Leicester ( a )
Spammers ( a )
So'ton ( a )

That's a good post.

Johnny Byrne
24-09-2017, 09:40 PM
We have spent so much money creating the worst top flight start in English football history.

Even BHAFC has a better stadium and training facilities now than we do ... we still have the best fans though!

The players know the Mountain we have to climb. It could be 0 goals 0 points 10 games. Players need to listen to RH and his team and deliver once the white line is crossed and 100% left on the pitch!

COYP

GorBlimey
24-09-2017, 09:50 PM
We have spent so much money creating the worst top flight start in English football history.

Even BHAFC has a better stadium and training facilities now than we do

Brighton have £166million net debt.

If they didn't have Bloom they'd be f*cked.

PeterH
24-09-2017, 10:04 PM
LDV final?

I was going to put that - but didn't want to be accused of being toooooo negative.

PeterH
24-09-2017, 10:06 PM

We need to re-enact that gif with supporters holding arrows to where the goal is.

But some would spit their dummies out at that.

ANDI29
24-09-2017, 10:06 PM
Target:

Moan U (h & a)
Spuds (h & a)
Arse (h & a)
Citeh ( h )
L'pool ( a )
Everton (h & a)
Stoke ( a )
Leicester ( a )
Spammers ( a )
So'ton ( a )

Someone has a brain thank you

PeterH
24-09-2017, 10:08 PM
We will go eight without a win

After that we still have to beat Newcastle - away I think. That's probably 9.

DARZET EAGLE
24-09-2017, 10:11 PM
Target:

Moan U (h & a)
Spuds (h & a)
Arse (h & a)
Citeh ( h )
L'pool ( a )
Everton (h & a)
Stoke ( a )
Leicester ( a )
Spammers ( a )
So'ton ( a )

Simples':love:

macstar
24-09-2017, 10:11 PM

Even BHAFC has a better stadium and training facilities now than we do ... we still have the best fans though!

The players know the Mountain we have to climb. It could be 0 goals 0 points 10 games. Players need to listen to RH and his team and deliver once the white line is crossed and 100% left on the pitch!

COYP

its ok, Dougie Freedman is our director of football :wallbash: :sob:

PeterH
24-09-2017, 10:14 PM

There's shame in it when it happens every season up there these days. Soft underbelly, we have. Getting beat 3-0 would make a nice change.

bradpitt
24-09-2017, 10:19 PM
Past 11 premier league games:- 0, 0, 0, 4 (v Hull), 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0

PeterH
24-09-2017, 10:21 PM
The league is designed for churn. It wears clubs like ours out over time. It's hard to keep moving forward.

It's not wearing Stoke, WBA, Southampton et al out.

How can you say it about Palace - we've never stayed up this long.

Going down in 1993 was down to us taking the eye off the ball. Just like this season. Noades was more interested in new Bentleys and golf courses.

PeterH
24-09-2017, 10:27 PM
About 27 years now and i stick by that statement. In that time we've never given ourselves such an amazing opportunity then screwed it up so royally when it's been obvious to everyone bar the so called fan running the club what is glaringly wrong and what needed addressing. Will we still be licking his arse and saying best chairman ever when we are where Sunderland currently sit this time next year. To now have no fit strikers at premier level after 5 years and just be told o well benteke may not get injured is an embarrassment and should never ever allowed to have happened.

We have.

Noades buying Preece and not Paul Stewart - two semi finals, and getting relegated 4th bottom, and Armstrong only turning up for cup games.

SJ not buying another striker to complement AJ. Going down with the Premier's 2nd highest goalscorer in the ranks. And blowing two one nil leads in the last two games. Even then it took Portsmouth and Man Utd throwing their games against WBA to relegate us.

meee
24-09-2017, 10:29 PM
the least of our issues? He tried to implement some ridiculous formation that hasn't worked all summer and clearly didn't suit the players we had. it's ridiculous to sack someone after only 4 games but it was probably clear to those within the club that this guy was totally wrong for us before a ball was kicked in the league. he didn't get signings in and he wasted the games against the shit teams.

He wasn't in charge of getting signings in.Blaming de Boer for our lack of transfer activity is mad.And we still haven't scored or come close to getting a point in the brief time since he's left so there is no evidence yet that things are going to get any better,despite the starting point being low.We just don't have enough players that are good enough to play in this league.

minch1
24-09-2017, 10:38 PM
72 shots.
0 goals.

That is truly amazing

Surely our luck has got to change and soon

Billy Rhino
24-09-2017, 10:46 PM
Surely our luck has got to change and soon

Either that or our players need shooting practice (and some just need shooting;))

greybot
24-09-2017, 11:27 PM
After four hard fought seasons in the premier league, I just looked at the premier league table and for the first time since we were promoted I can honestly say I look at every team and think they are better than us playerwise or managerwise.

Windsor_Eagle
24-09-2017, 11:42 PM
We have been horrendous at home for three years. We still managed 6 wins and 2 draws last season, so 5 wins and 4 draws is not impossible. The teams you quote are not to be under-estimated but neither are they world beaters. Currently, EVERYBODY has been better than us this season. If you think things cannot change then you are resigned to relegation which is a valid opinion. However, it is equally valid to think that performances and results can and will improve sufficiently to achieve this modicum of success.

Indeed, it is all so fluid and transient. During our purple patch last season where we beat Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal it was hard to imagine any side could knock us off our perch.

Right now we are looking the worst of the bunch but it could turn quickly. Particulalry once we get to see a team drilled bg Roy take on one where points are a realistic outcome from the match.

GorBlimey
25-09-2017, 12:14 AM
After four hard fought seasons in the premier league, I just looked at the premier league table and for the first time since we were promoted I can honestly say I look at every team and think they are better than us playerwise or managerwise.

Brighton, Bournemouth or Huddersfield are better than us? :eek:

Palace Yankee
25-09-2017, 12:21 AM
We're going to have a run for the ages just to get back in this thing.

bigGcpfc
25-09-2017, 04:49 AM

Absolutely yes. We are by far the worst team in this division and probably at least half of the championship as well.

orp pisshead1
25-09-2017, 05:00 AM
Absolutely yes. We are by far the worst team in this division and probably at least half of the championship as well.

Your supplier provides some decent shit :p

bigGcpfc
25-09-2017, 05:15 AM
Your supplier provides some decent shit :p

We have already shown we are worse than 6 teams , we won't get anything from our next 2 games but a lot of you still think we are a good side.Wake up mate.

Mr Bo Jangles
25-09-2017, 05:16 AM
Think Bolton, Charlton, Portsmouth, Blackburn, Wigan. I have seen it so many times before and sadly that is where we are heading.

eagles #1
25-09-2017, 06:53 AM
We'll beat United. They'll be ****ed from their long trip to Moscow on Wednesday.

It's not too early to start drinking is it?

Ooh Betty
25-09-2017, 07:53 AM

They are yes. Much better. Have you seen any games this season or do you spend your entire life with your head buried in the sand? That is when you aren't on here berating anyone who isn't masturbating furiously about how fantastic our team is and how well the club is being run.

Ooh Betty
25-09-2017, 07:55 AM
Think Bolton, Charlton, Portsmouth, Blackburn, Wigan. I have seen it so many times before and sadly that is where we are heading.

Sunderland.

Another Oxted Eagle
25-09-2017, 07:59 AM

On paper no they don't have as good a first 11 as us (assuming all fit). What they have is a system, a way of playing that suits their squad and players that have bought into that way of playing as they trust the manager.

We had that under Pullis but don't think we've had that since. I was hoping FdB would be given the time to create something, he wasn't. Roy is a decent man but lets be honest he isn't here to create a dynasty at his age but if he can steady the ship ready for the next guy then he's done his job.

JamTheEagle
25-09-2017, 08:02 AM
We are exactly where we deserve to be, amateur hour during every offseason and transfer window finally catching up to us.

Happy Arthur
25-09-2017, 09:07 AM
We are exactly where we deserve to be, amateur hour during every offseason and transfer window finally catching up to us.
And no Pulis / Allardyce to rescue us.

Eagle Kneevil
25-09-2017, 09:10 AM
It's good to achieve something that other clubs haven't. Aspire to set records!

TWELLSEagle
25-09-2017, 09:13 AM
It all comes back to the disastrous decision to throw out everything that worked and was good in favour of some mythical Cruyffian football. People point to our home form but just look at the Arsenal home game - that showed what this set of players is capable of, when set up properly, in a system suited to their strengths. It wasn't negative counter attacking football. In fact it was the pinnacle of what we've been striving for in the premier league. Allardyce leaving didn't mean we had to chuck the baby out with the bath water. Parish has made a catastrophic error here, he really has.

Maidstoned Eagle
25-09-2017, 09:13 AM
If we get relegated we would be the team with the most relegations from the Premiership.

swissroll
25-09-2017, 09:17 AM
If we get relegated we would be the team with the most relegations from the Premiership.

Dont we already own that record?

KevMason98
25-09-2017, 09:26 AM
Keep calm.
We've seen it all before.

We were brilliant defensively against City in the first half.
We had a plan, were organised and executed the plan brilliantly in the first half.
Probably a bit unlucky to go in 1-0 down.... maybe.

Second half.
City pushed Aguero out wide and had sterling sprinting from central mid field to arrive in the box late at exactly the right time... exposing our central defence partnership's weakness of sprinting back and facing our own goal.

Don't expect us to get anything against Man United or Chelsea and we need points away at Newcastle and at home to West Ham.

It's no use to anyone taking the "outraged from Haywards Heath" attitude.
We have to go with what we have and get behind the manager and team we have .... as hard as it may be.

Anyway that's my take.
Think positive.
We aim for 12 to 15 points by Christmas.. that's achievable.

It will get better, by how much

Eagle Kneevil
25-09-2017, 09:27 AM
Keep calm.

We had a plan, were organised and executed the plan brilliantly in the first half.

Second half.
City pushed Aguero out wide and had sterling sprinting from central mid field to arrive in the box late at exactly the right time... exposing our central defence partnership's weakness of sprinting back and facing our own goal.

Don't expect us to get anything against Man United or Chelsea and we need points away at Newcastle and at home to West Ham.

We have to go with what we have and get behind the manager and team we have .... as hard as it may be.

Anyway that's my take.
Think positive.

Stoke were so bad at the start of last season that even we beat them. They finished midtable comfortably.

SussexRed&Blue
25-09-2017, 09:45 AM
Too much chopping and changing between Management and playing styles with a lack of stability could be costly. How much money has been spent in severance agreements over the year's?

Although we have spent a lot of money in the transfer market value for money has not been achieved. Spent on big names who a lot of them although talented don't seem to have the mental toughness when things go against them.

Look at the team that got us promoted or the Hillsborough Heros team had characters and leaders. Players with less ability but more fight and mental toughness.

That doesn't cover all of the team but it is worrying the mental fragility of the side like on Saturday play well for 40 mins and then capitulate as soon as the goal goes in.

Hopefully with Dougie now in as Director of Football our future buys in the transfer market will be more successful and better value for money.

If the worst happens and we go down it will be a total rebuild job to reduce the wage bill down from the over £100 Million is reportedly is at the moment to a more manageable level.

Hector
25-09-2017, 09:47 AM
Keep calm.

Second half.

Anyway that's my take.
Think positive.

Agree with you. Trouble is there will be huge pressure on Newcastle to get something if we don't then every game until we do will be huge. We are in a really bad position but all we can do is support the side.

Maidstoned Eagle
25-09-2017, 09:50 AM
Dont we already own that record?

No, I believe we we share it with Sunderland and Middlesbrough and Leicester.

We do hold the record for the most play off wins resulting in promotion to the top flight.

ANTEAGLE
25-09-2017, 10:02 AM

We do hold the record for the most play off wins resulting in promotion to the top flight.

Also, we are the only team to be promoted to the top division by;

Winning a two legged play off final
Winning at the old Wembley
Winning at the Millenium Stadium
Winning at the new Wembley

brighton_eagle
25-09-2017, 10:07 AM
Yes, really. First time *ever* an English league team has started the season with zero points and zero goals after six games. A quite incredible achievement, really.

We don't have a lack of squad depth though. We have a very unbalanced squad, but we have plenty of depth in defence and central midfield. Just none upfront, out wide or in goal.

CoDownEagle
25-09-2017, 10:14 AM
We have limited cover at right back as well.

It was indeed a cunning and brave move to invest most of our transfer kitty in centre back number 7, presumably the plan is to try and hold out for a scoreless draw in games. Unfortunately if the other team score we are then ****ed.

RAB
25-09-2017, 10:32 AM
Too much chopping and changing between Management and playing styles with a lack of stability could be costly. How much money has been spent in severance agreements over the year's?

Although we have spent a lot of money in the transfer market value for money has not been achieved. Spent on big names who a lot of them although talented don't seem to have the mental toughness when things go against them.

Look at the team that got us promoted or the Hillsborough Heros team had characters and leaders. Players with less ability but more fight and mental toughness.

That doesn't cover all of the team but it is worrying the mental fragility of the side like on Saturday play well for 40 mins and then capitulate as soon as the goal goes in.

Hopefully with Dougie now in as Director of Football our future buys in the transfer market will be more successful and better value for money.

If the worst happens and we go down it will be a total rebuild job to reduce the wage bill down from the over £100 Million is reportedly is at the moment to a more manageable level.

When Palace most needed it, Freedman has shown he can spot players with the right attitude who will give their all for the team. Palace have always been at their best when the whole team play with commitment and the fans respond to players who show they care.

Whilst we have talented players, possibly the most we have ever had at any one time, some seem content to duck responsibility, drop their heads at the first setback, or look comfortable to just train, sit on the side lines and play the odd game or two for the reserves (or whatever they are called). I'd be happy to see the HF display banners of the wages of these wasters to drive them out from Selhurst Park.

Martin H
25-09-2017, 10:37 AM
It all comes back to the disastrous decision to throw out everything that worked and was good in favour of some mythical Cruyffian football. People point to our home form but just look at the Arsenal home game - that showed what this set of players is capable of, when set up properly, in a system suited to their strengths. It wasn't negative counter attacking football. In fact it was the pinnacle of what we've been striving for in the premier league. Allardyce leaving didn't mean we had to chuck the baby out with the bath water. Parish has made a catastrophic error here, he really has.

This wonderful result is regularly cited as a sign of how good we really are but it isn't a repeatable performance for us is it? I.e. 3 games later ? we were losing to Burnley at home 2-0, thrashed 5-0 at the Etihad (last year) etc. The sad and depressing truth is that the Palace squad has consistently performed, over a season, at relegation levels for the past 4 years.

Kidding ourselves that it is just about formations or tactics is folly and arguably part of the problem at the top. The failure to upgrade the physical infrastructure at the club gets criticism but I think the current state of the squad indicates a far bigger failure to upgrade and manage the quality, ages and contracts in the 25. We have added big money individuals but taken the eye off the squad strength as a whole.

The Sporting Director purports to fix that but why we have chosen DF for that I have little idea. It could have made sense if we were in League 1.

Eagle's Nest
25-09-2017, 10:56 AM
I'm becoming a bit more "glass half full".

Our situation reminds me a bit of Liverpool's Champions League final against AC Milan but on a macro scale.

I remember saying to my Liverpool supporting colleague at halftime that they'd had so many chances that I didn't believe the scoreline. If they carried on making those chances then something would give.

We totally dominated Burnley and could easily have beaten Southampton. Something is going to happen. There will be a moment and things will turn around. These situations, especially at the beginning of a season more often than not seem to "make" people.

There's enough going on here and we need to stop the hand-wringing about goalkeepers, strikers and managers.

DARZET EAGLE
25-09-2017, 11:00 AM

:hi: Half glass full man, I like it.

Seanee Pawnee
25-09-2017, 11:17 AM

Saw this scenario unfolding even before the end of last season....
But not quite at this level

SteveyHawking
25-09-2017, 11:19 AM
I'm waiting for us to be eight games in with zero points and zero goals before putting a bet on us staying up. It'll be win-win when we do!

Windsor_Eagle
25-09-2017, 11:28 AM
This place we find ourselves in is desperate. Desperate situations make for equally desperate reactions. These reactions, when all is said and done, are irrelevant Ďdetailsí to the actual situation. These reactions are what I refer to as the Ďnoiseí. It is particularly pernicious because it is fuelled by both those who take an active interest in the club and casual observers alike. As such it has the absolute potential to swarm and suffocate those in the middle of this particular storm as they are getting it from all angles. Royís job is defined by guiding them through this with their esteem in relative tact. He gets this right, there is no doubt in my mind that we will survive. If he doesnít manage this, then this season will be catastrophic. It really is as simple as that.

The noise that is experienced more broadly and often externally are the statistics around setting new records for all the wrong reasons. Around the home form. Around Hodgson and his England failure. Around the club and the de Boer fiasco. The noise that is more internal for those with a vested interest in the club is all of the above with the added arguments about Pardew. Parishís record over the last 5 years. The scapegoating of players whose transfers havenít worked out. About Pulis. About Allardyce. About other staff at the club. About the Americanís. It manifests as bold predictions of doom that suggest that this team is not only the poorest in the league, but also would struggle in the championship. Salient points scattered amongst overreaction. As ever, truth can lie in different places simultaneously.

It is absolutely fine for those who share the pain and frustration but without much hope of affecting change to vent. Nothing worse than pent up frustration. It is almost therapeutic to vent to those with a similar interest particularly when nearest and dearest in life are ambivalent towards Palace. However, I do feel that sooner or later this frustration and anger has to subside for pragmatism. We need to deal with the acceptance of a shit situation (or ĎShituationí if you will), put to one side the scrutiny, the character assassinations and the self-flagellation and turn towards facing down the adversity. It is not clichť to say that we have faced worse situations than this. That doesnít mean we should be happy about the last 6 games / 2 years, but it does mean that we need to realise that we have been facing down the barrel before and found that not too far down the line things were much better. To know that things can improve Ė eventually if not immediately. This is crucial perspective and experience. It is what Hodgson will draw on. It is what players whoíve come through relegation battles will draw upon. It is what we should draw upon.

I think Roy is as safe a pair of hands as we could hope for. I don't think a fire and brimstone type manager could exert the effect that they perhaps could have a couple of years ago. These players are too browbeaten. They'd just sink. Roy appears to be a calm, experienced head. He speaks quietly with individuals and is (apparently) a great man-motivator. I am encouraged by his start (results to one side). He's within a week identified our strongest XI. Got a good shape out of the side. Made predictions that are bearing fruit (much like Allardyce did when he came in). I think if the team stick together and buy into what Roy and Ray are trying to do, they can get out of this hole. We are desperately short in a few areas. It makes the task that much harder but there is still quality in this squad. There are still players who can match most in this league. There is no reason why Hodgson canít get a tune out of these players. The only thing that can really strangle it and make it impossible is if the noise drowns the players. We can help (a little) by turning away from the focus on what has gone wrong and start turning it towards what still could be achieved. It wonít stop it entirely. It may not even make a huge difference, but it has to be better for all concerned than adding to the already sizeable noise that surrounds the team.

GrayP41ace
25-09-2017, 12:14 PM
There's enough going on here and we need to stop the hand-wringing about goalkeepers, strikers and managers.

Strikers plural? :eek: Since when :D

Palacebear
25-09-2017, 12:43 PM
We have to get some self respect & confidence back. We just have to score against Man U or Chelsea and keep a clean sheet at newcastle.

The midfielders have to start stepping up, as we need the goals from them. AT, YC, RLC, punch & wilf need to be scoring 5+ goals per season. Until they do we are f-ed.

Martin H
25-09-2017, 12:50 PM
This place we find ourselves in is desperate. ...... It may not even make a huge difference, but it has to be better for all concerned than adding to the already sizeable noise that surrounds the team.

I agree with your underlying point and think I am already there with you even if some posts might be misinterpreted, I don't know. For the record I am fine with the Roy/Ray combo going forward. I would by lying if I was optimistic right now and I don't think it's wise to pretend everything is rosy but looking forward is our only option. It does have to be in the context of what has happened and our current 'state' though. Equally damaging as negativity right now is some over optimistic proclamation that we are too good to go down and that 'everything is gonna be alright'. The song is great but it's not a viable tactic.

So looking forward, my concerns aren't particularly the Manager. My biggest worry is the nature of the squad. This isn't attributable to one Manager but rather to management of squad makeup over time. Roy/Ray have no choice but to limp through until January collecting as many points as possible. If they can achieve that then we can potentially buy (overpriced) reinforcements or perhaps as likely right now, is that we start to shape the squad for Championship by letting a bigger name go to fund several younger players. I will put together a post for the Transfer thread on this later maybe.

Roy has the calm persona needed right now I suspect. The return of Wilf will give us all a lift and if Benteke's injury isn't too bad and he can find some form and importantly some goals, who knows. We do need to get behind the team and the club right now though. Newer fans won't want to hear this but it can and does get worse than this, but it makes the successes all the more enjoyable. If we pull this miracle off one more time then that would be a celebration.

TWELLSEagle
25-09-2017, 02:15 PM
This wonderful result is regularly cited as a sign of how good we really are but it isn't a repeatable performance for us is it? I.e. 3 games later ? we were losing to Burnley at home 2-0, thrashed 5-0 at the Etihad (last year) etc. The sad and depressing truth is that the Palace squad has consistently performed, over a season, at relegation levels for the past 4 years.

Kidding ourselves that it is just about formations or tactics is folly and arguably part of the problem at the top. The failure to upgrade the physical infrastructure at the club gets criticism but I think the current state of the squad indicates a far bigger failure to upgrade and manage the quality, ages and contracts in the 25. We have added big money individuals but taken the eye off the squad strength as a whole.

The Sporting Director purports to fix that but why we have chosen DF for that I have little idea. It could have made sense if we were in League 1.

I agree to an extent - the squad isn't great but let's at least stick to what our, pretty decent, first XI do best.

Lee sinnots ear
25-09-2017, 03:22 PM

Mate 50 years I've lived what you say, but is it really necessary? Why can't we break this merry go round? Fulham managed it for a lot longer than our cycle and they are a much smaller club, the same can be said of Coventry city (albeit they are in a shit state now, but did have 20+ years at the top) and the likes of Southampton, WBA, Stoke have established themselves in the long term, so why not us?

There simply seems to be no plan, no consistency whether it be management, recruitment,academy it has just been five years of solving one crisis after another. How is it possible that we've not established one player from the academy in the last 7 years?
How could someone as successful as SP seriously allow the club to go into a season with only one striker and thenon the last day of the window buy another centre back to go with the other six?
I've heard our wage bill is now £109mil and we owe circa £50 mil in outstanding transfer fees

A truly astonishing mess, that will almost certainly take another five years of fire sales to get back into shape.:wallbash:

TomOhio
25-09-2017, 08:41 PM
Message to Steve Parish:

"Having leveled my palace, don't erect a hovel and complacently admire your own charity in giving me that for a home." (Emily Bronte)

knowlesyUCLA
25-09-2017, 10:35 PM
The scene is set for an incredible comeback after losing the first 11 games without scoring a goal. Either that or we only score in 2 games all season, beating Brighton on both occasions and losing every other game to nil.

The Vicar
25-09-2017, 11:02 PM
I agree with your underlying point and think I am already there with you even if some posts might be misinterpreted, I don't know. For the record I am fine with the Roy/Ray combo going forward. I would by lying if I was optimistic right now and I don't think it's wise to pretend everything is rosy but looking forward is our only option. It does have to be in the context of what has happened and our current 'state' though. Equally damaging as negativity right now is some over optimistic proclamation that we are too good to go down and that 'everything is gonna be alright'. The song is great but it's not a viable tactic.

So looking forward, my concerns aren't particularly the Manager. My biggest worry is the nature of the squad. This isn't attributable to one Manager but rather to management of squad makeup over time. Roy/Ray have no choice but to limp through until January collecting as many points as possible. If they can achieve that then we can potentially buy (overpriced) reinforcements or perhaps as likely right now, is that we start to shape the squad for Championship by letting a bigger name go to fund several younger players. I will put together a post for the Transfer thread on this later maybe.

Roy has the calm persona needed right now I suspect. The return of Wilf will give us all a lift and if Benteke's injury isn't too bad and he can find some form and importantly some goals, who knows. We do need to get behind the team and the club right now though. Newer fans won't want to hear this but it can and does get worse than this, but it makes the successes all the more enjoyable. If we pull this miracle off one more time then that would be a celebration.

My concern is the decision making skills of the owner running the club.

AJ's right boot
27-09-2017, 09:42 AM
Anyone else getting tired of the same greeting I'm getting from all work colleagues?

Morning "insert name here" how are you?

Yeah good you?

Yeah not bad, cor Palace are shit aren't they!

Yes...thanks....hadn't noticed

I wager many of you are going through this tedious exchange as much as me.

macstar
27-09-2017, 09:54 AM
Anyone else getting tired of the same greeting I'm getting from all work colleagues?

Morning "insert name here" how are you?

Yeah good you?

Yeah not bad, cor Palace are shit aren't they!

Yes...thanks....hadn't noticed

I wager many of you are going through this tedious exchange as much as me.

actually im getting fed up with fellow palace fan work colleagues who keep bringing up the subject. Yes i know we are sh!te