PDA

View Full Version : Parachute payments ?

palacelad197o
23-09-2017, 07:05 PM
Would i be correct in saying they are £102 million pounds over 3 years ?

Year 1 £47 million
Year 2 £38 million
Year 3 £17 million

Add to that the sale of players where i would say we would claw back aprox £60 million

So relegation could be worth £160 million over 3 years add to that the football league prize fund
and there is no way that sum would be reinvested back in players

Where if we was to remain in the premier and Finnish 15th for 3 seasons the club would pocket £345 million

CPFC since 1989
23-09-2017, 08:23 PM
Aren't our current wages about £60m+ a year. Probably carry £40m.

palacelad197o
23-09-2017, 08:35 PM
Aren't our current wages about £60m+ a year. Probably carry £40m.They would be wiped out with relegation surely this is built into there contracts the ones we might keep that is

CharlieCPFC
23-09-2017, 08:38 PM
The wage bill would decrease significantly if we went down as a good portion of the squad would leave. Benteke, Zaha, Sakho, Townsend and Luka will all raise over £100M easily. Cabaye' contract is out next year so all that would help with the wage bill. It would be depressing but then we could have a serious rebuild provided the money is reinvested.

It's depressing to even talk like this but in truth it's the reality and all down to poor preparation and structure.

We keep talking about needing to stay in the league to improve the infrastructure etc but we're not even improving in the squad.

palacelad197o
23-09-2017, 08:44 PM
The wage bill would decrease significantly if we went down as a good portion of the squad would leave. Benteke, Zaha, Sakho, Townsend and Luka will all raise over £100M easily. Cabaye' contract is out next year so all that would help with the wage bill. It would be depressing but then we could have a serious rebuild provided the money is reinvested.

It's depressing to even talk like this but in truth it's the reality and all down to poor preparation and structure.

We keep talking about needing to stay in the league to improve the infrastructure etc but we're not even improving in the squad.But do you really think that money will be reinvested ? Don't you think the yanks will take there cut and run ?

redandblue
23-09-2017, 08:51 PM
They would be wiped out with relegation surely this is built into there contracts the ones we might keep that is

Good players don't have relegation reductions in their contracts why would they ?

SE5eagle
23-09-2017, 08:51 PM
Could we clad the Arthur?

GreatGonzo
23-09-2017, 08:54 PM
Good players don't have relegation reductions in their contracts why would they ?

Much of the squad apparently does.

Those that don't are likely to be the ones who would move on and command HUGE fees.

Sunderland finished bottom last year, were poor and sold their keeper for £35m despite relegation.

Its irrelevant anyway as we won't go down.

CPFC since 1989
23-09-2017, 08:58 PM
They would be wiped out with relegation surely this is built into there contracts the ones we might keep that is

Don't remember contracts being like that. Many clubs carry the big wages into the Championship.

Reported as £55m in 2016/17, I believe wages actually will be more like £75-80m after the January transfer window.

I don't think we'll be overly rich in the Championship.

CPFC since 1989
23-09-2017, 09:02 PM

Agree :p:lux:

palacelad197o
23-09-2017, 09:07 PM

Those that don't are likely to be the ones who would move on and command HUGE fees.

Sunderland finished bottom last year, were poor and sold their keeper for £35m despite relegation.

Its irrelevant anyway as we won't go down.Yeah far to many goals in us to go down

Neckinger Eagle
23-09-2017, 09:12 PM
Knowing our luck I bet the Premier League will vote to end Parachute Payments with immediate effect this season. Or link them to points won or goals scored.

Gazza2
23-09-2017, 09:22 PM
Wage bill is now about £100m.
In last published accounts (season before last) it was nearly £85m. It increased significantly last season with some newspaper reports putting it at just over £100m.
Our total income last season (when the accounts are published) will be just under £130m. Of which tv revenue was 109m and gate money 12m.
All of the above excludes transfer dealings.
We will have made a loss overall last season probably when factoring in transfers and non wage bill costs.

If relegated then even with the parachute payment, income will reduce from about 130m to 70m. Excluding transfers.
We'd need to sell players and cut our wage bill by about 50%.

If still in the championship after parachute payments stop then total income would reduce to about £21m a season. Which means we could afford a wage bill of 15m. Which equates to average first team wage of about 7k a week.

From memory, I think wage bill was 12m in season we won promotion.

Sunderland have cut their wage bill from close to 100m to under 40m already.

Gazza2
23-09-2017, 09:27 PM
All clubs in bottom half try to have wage reduction if relegated clauses in player contracts.
However, there is often more than 1 club trying to sign a player. It only takes 1 of those clubs to offer a deal without such a clause for the other interested clubs to have to do likewise if they still want to be in with a chance of signing that player.
Just put yourself in sitiation of rival companies making you a job offer. One says your wages could reduce by 35% next year while the other doesn't.

smoll
23-09-2017, 09:30 PM

Of course we won't go down with all those forward options of ours and that world class goalkeeper of ours. What a daft thought

palacelad197o
23-09-2017, 09:34 PM
In last published accounts (season before last) it was nearly £85m. It increased significantly last season with some newspaper reports putting it at just over £100m.
Our total income last season (when the accounts are published) will be just under £130m. Of which tv revenue was 109m and gate money 12m.
We will have made a loss overall last season probably when factoring in transfers and non wage bill costs.

If relegated then even with the parachute payment, income will reduce from about 130m to 70m. Excluding transfers.

If still in the championship after parachute payments stop then total income would reduce to about £21m a season. Which means we could afford a wage bill of 15m. Which equates to average first team wage of about 7k a week.

Sunderland have cut their wage bill from close to 100m to under 40m already.And Sunderland now in the bottom 3 of the championship

GreatGonzo
23-09-2017, 09:34 PM
Of course we won't go down with all those forward options of ours and that world class goalkeeper of ours. What a daft thought

We'll see come May.

Gazza2
23-09-2017, 09:37 PM
And Sunderland now in the bottom 3 of the championship

Yes but better than club being liquidated.

smoll
23-09-2017, 09:48 PM
We'll see come May.
Wish I could see what you can

Lee sinnots ear
23-09-2017, 10:06 PM

Sunderland have cut their wage bill from close to 100m to under 40m already.

Today the wage bill is £109mil and the outstanding transfer debt £47mil. It is going to have to be some fire sale:wallbash:

9Freedman9
23-09-2017, 10:12 PM
We'd propably still have Hennessy, Ward, Schlupp, CYL, Macca, Luka, Wickham plus more, we wouldn't have a bad side championship wise, I could see that getting promoted.

Salad_Burnet
23-09-2017, 10:14 PM
"give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime"

...Which is why we should put the money into a new stand rather than risking it trying to bounce back straightaway.

Gazza2
23-09-2017, 11:12 PM
We'd propably still have Hennessy, Ward, Schlupp, CYL, Macca, Luka, Wickham plus more, we wouldn't have a bad side championship wise, I could see that getting promoted.

I dont think we could afford Wickham's £60k a week wages in The Championship.

RCUK
24-09-2017, 01:15 AM
We have a threadbare squad as it is, if we get relegated and sell 4 or 5 to balance the books, we be utterly ****ed.

spt1978
24-09-2017, 08:10 AM
Championship transfer fees are scary, clubs spending £15m on strikers.

For us to survive in this transfer market we need a top notch academy. But we have neglected it.

Hector
24-09-2017, 08:13 AM
Championship transfer fees are scary, clubs spending £15m on strikers.

For us to survive in this transfer market we need a top notch academy. But we have neglected it.

Academy don't seem to produce many players if any nowadays. I think very good scouting system for young hungry players would help.

bradpitt
24-09-2017, 08:22 AM
We have a threadbare squad as it is, if we get relegated and sell 4 or 5 to balance the books, we be utterly ****ed.

Absolutely, I'm pretty certain we'd double drop.

Far East Eagle
24-09-2017, 10:14 AM
"give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime"

...Which is why we should put the money into a new stand rather than risking it trying to bounce back straightaway.

What would be the point of that when our attendances will drop to 18k in the Championship?

jamieb73
24-09-2017, 02:08 PM
And the young players we have released recently was suicidal

Jim Cannon
24-09-2017, 02:13 PM

No, but they don't stick around for the Championship either, so if we drop, they will be sold anyway

mroakley9
24-09-2017, 02:14 PM
Yeah far to many goals in us to go down

https://i.giphy.com/media/eah2loce5T8VW/giphy.webp

Yoda
24-09-2017, 02:46 PM
What would be the point of that when our attendances will drop to 18k in the Championship?

You donít develop your stand for one particular season.

RAB
24-09-2017, 03:20 PM
It's not easy to consider relegation because surely the whole point of the competition is to succeed. However I am separating the 'Club' and the 'Team' in my thoughts.

It is though disheartening to see Palace lose so often and to be seen as a bit of a joke setting unwanted records on a weekly basis. Being in the Premier League for a club like Palace and trying to achieve the status of 'established' is beginning to look beyond the reach of this Board for all the good intentions and investment. All the reasons and blame for the lack of stability is just a symptom of being woefully short of a sound structure on which to build and grow.

It is arguable that Palace's true station is the Championship and the Club has punched above its weight for four successive seasons after promotion against all expectations.

If relegation comes this time, the trauma felt next Summer will be very difficult for the Club and every effort will be needed to ensure Palace do not fall further.

The Club may get the chance to concentrate more on improving Selhurst Park without seeing all the tv money they have being getting going straight into the pockets of so many undeserving players and agents.

It is an occupational hazard for a club like Palace that any players they develop through the Academy will be poached but that in itself is not a reason for a Club that uses the 'South London and Proud' tag to stop finding and developing local players.

palacelad197o
24-09-2017, 05:49 PM
It's not easy to consider relegation because surely the whole point of the competition is to succeed. However I am separating the 'Club' and the 'Team' in my thoughts.

It is though disheartening to see Palace lose so often and to be seen as a bit of a joke setting unwanted records on a weekly basis. Being in the Premier League for a club like Palace and trying to achieve the status of 'established' is beginning to look beyond the reach of this Board for all the good intentions and investment. All the reasons and blame for the lack of stability is just a symptom of being woefully short of a sound structure on which to build and grow.

It is arguable that Palace's true station is the Championship and the Club has punched above its weight for four successive seasons after promotion against all expectations.

If relegation comes this time, the trauma felt next Summer will be very difficult for the Club and every effort will be needed to ensure Palace do not fall further.

The Club may get the chance to concentrate more on improving Selhurst Park without seeing all the tv money they have being getting going straight into the pockets of so many undeserving players and agents.

It is an occupational hazard for a club like Palace that any players they develop through the Academy will be poached but that in itself is not a reason for a Club that uses the 'South London and Proud' tag to stop finding and developing local players.

We have started our 5th season in the premier league with 1 striker do you really think in ya wildest imagination that money will be spent on selhurst park if we are relegated