PDA

View Full Version : 11pts from 13, 16pts from 22, 19pts from 25

Eagle96
24-09-2017, 09:39 AM
11pts from 13, 16pts from 22, 19pts from 25

To put things into perspective, that was our record last season, and we still stayed up. Granted, we had Benteke and Wilf fit all season and BFS (albeit for half a season), but this year we'll have Sakho for more than 8 games and Fosu-Mensah and Loftus-Cheek instead of Ward and Puncheon, and of course Luka for the entire season.

We'll probably have no points from 8 games. Can we get 11 points in the 5 matches after that to match last season? Probably not, we play:
Newcastle (A)
West Ham (H)
Tottenham (A)
Everton (H)
Stoke (H)

Maybe we can get 5-7 points.

Next 9 games are:
Brighton (A)
West Brom (A)
Bournemouth (H)
Watford (H)
Leicester (A)
Swansea (A)
Arsenal (H)
Man City (H)
Southampton (A)

Maybe we can get 10-12 points. That would put us on roughly 15-19 points from 22 games. Similar to last season (16pts from 22).

Next matches 3 are:
Burnley (H)
Arsenal (A)
West Ham (A)

Hopefully we can get 4 points, putting us on 19-22 points after 25 games, which is more or less the same as last season.

Obviously this is hugely contingent on current first-teamers staying fit and Benteke not being out for longer than the next 5-7 matches, hopefully back for Brighton (A) on the 28th of November.

I don't know, I guess the point I'm trying to make is that we're not down and out just yet. The fact we saved ourselves last season with essentially 13 games to go gives me some hope.

The Drive Man
24-09-2017, 10:01 AM
Ahh perspective! Good post.

Veagle1
24-09-2017, 10:03 AM

To put things into perspective, that was our record last season, and we still stayed up. Granted, we had Benteke and Wilf fit all season and BFS (albeit for half a season), but this year we'll have Sakho for more than 8 games and Fosu-Mensah and Loftus-Cheek instead of Ward and Puncheon, and of course Luka for the entire season.

We'll probably have no points from 8 games. Can we get 11 points in the 5 matches after that to match last season? Probably not, we play:
Newcastle (A)
West Ham (H)
Tottenham (A)
Everton (H)
Stoke (H)

Next 9 games are:
Brighton (A)
West Brom (A)
Bournemouth (H)
Watford (H)
Leicester (A)
Swansea (A)
Arsenal (H)
Man City (H)
Southampton (A)

Maybe we can get 10-12 points. That would put us on roughly 15-19 points from 22 games. Similar to last season (16pts from 22).

Next matches 3 are:
Burnley (H)
Arsenal (A)
West Ham (A)

Hopefully we can get 4 points, putting us on 19-22 points after 25 games, which is more or less the same as last season.

Obviously this is hugely contingent on current first-teamers staying fit and Benteke not being out for longer than the next 5-7 matches, hopefully back for Brighton (A) on the 28th of November.

I don't know, I guess the point I'm trying to make is that we're not down and out just yet. The fact we saved ourselves last season with essentially 13 games to go gives me some hope.

Well worked out Sir.
You've just given me some hope!

S.P.R.
24-09-2017, 10:10 AM
We need five wins and maybe the odd draw by boxing day in my opinion to stand a chance.

Danny_Cheviot
24-09-2017, 10:13 AM
In the 20s by 01/01/18 should be the target.

Herr Colonpharter
24-09-2017, 10:15 AM
I can see a few points in the pipeline but mostly from draws :frown:

CharlieCPFC
24-09-2017, 10:17 AM
This league will remain tight, we have the quality to string 3 wins together with a fully fit 11 whereas the likes of Brighton and Swansea I can't see that happening. There's still an awful lot to play for and the way Roy, Ray and Reid have gone about their business I'm impressed and convinced we'll see points on the board sooner rather than later.

The best thing SP could do is discuss targets with DF and Hodgson asap and have deals prepared for early January.

We may be in the same league on paper as Manchester City but really it's split into two. I think most sides will go up there this season coming back with a pasting.

As long as we win the games we're supposed to win we will still be fine. If we don't get results at the likes of Brighton away, Stoke at home or Watford at home etc then we will ultimately deserve to go down. But until those games have passed by and the results been determined I still remain upbeat we'll be fine.

Windsor_Eagle
24-09-2017, 10:19 AM
The hope I have remaining is based largely around two variables:

1) Roy & Ray

2) How many games we have to go

What has won me over about Roy is his calm, pragmatic approach. We have had a lot of his ex-players lauding him and we have seen in his three games, clear evidence of what structure he is trying to bring (and he is getting there). What his biggest challenge will be is getting the players to keep positive and not drown with all the 'noise' around the unwanted records etc.

What all the ex-players of Roy have said is that he works the players hard on the training pitch and it is relentlessly repetitive to the point where the players instinctively know where to go or what to do in any given situation. Almost Pulis-esque. These players are let down when they have to try and 'think' (I think most of our squad lack football intelligence) and are far better when they are drilled and work on instinct.

Over time, these massages will get through to the players. Our luck in front of goal has to turn very soon and when it does we may see something resembling a 'click into place' and the season gets kick-started.

sheepy
24-09-2017, 10:19 AM
Great post but...

Not sure how we're gonna get 10 points from 9 nil nil draws (cause god know we ain't scoring any time soon).

JJ
24-09-2017, 11:39 AM
The best thing SP could do is discuss targets with DF and Hodgson asap and have deals prepared for early January.

Of course. But we all know that what's more likely to happen is we'll be moaning on here come the final few days of January that not enough's been done / left it too late etc.

DARZET EAGLE
24-09-2017, 11:42 AM

Newcastle (A)
West Ham (H)
Tottenham (A)
Everton (H)
Stoke (H)

Next 9 games are:
Brighton (A)
West Brom (A)
Bournemouth (H)
Watford (H)
Leicester (A)
Swansea (A)
Arsenal (H)
Man City (H)
Southampton (A)

Next matches 3 are:
Burnley (H)
Arsenal (A)
West Ham (A)

Thought provoking and a cause for some optimism. It is not over until the fat lady sings. COYP.:lux:

CharlieCPFC
24-09-2017, 11:53 AM
Of course. But we all know that what's more likely to happen is we'll be moaning on here come the final few days of January that not enough's been done / left it too late etc.

Could well be, might not be.

We did go for it in all fairness last January window but it annoys me we don't do it in the summer.

Parish has to spend 40M again this summer to have a chance of survival.

The Vicar
24-09-2017, 12:05 PM
Great opening post, we can still survive.

Glɑzier
24-09-2017, 12:27 PM
Great opening post, we can still survive.

Exactly, also bear in mind there are only 5 points between the bottom 6 teams currently. I think there's a good chance it will remain that tight too. Good post Eagle, as long as the squad stay fit and take each game as it comes we've got a great chance. Also I would say they shouldn't panic if they go a goal down and loose shape, as I think happened yesterday somewhat. Even if city won we could've kept it down to 2 odd IMO.

danpalace07
24-09-2017, 10:34 PM
The hope I have remaining is based largely around two variables:

1) Roy & Ray

2) How many games we have to go

What has won me over about Roy is his calm, pragmatic approach. We have had a lot of his ex-players lauding him and we have seen in his three games, clear evidence of what structure he is trying to bring (and he is getting there). What his biggest challenge will be is getting the players to keep positive and not drown with all the 'noise' around the unwanted records etc.

What all the ex-players of Roy have said is that he works the players hard on the training pitch and it is relentlessly repetitive to the point where the players instinctively know where to go or what to do in any given situation. Almost Pulis-esque. These players are let down when they have to try and 'think' (I think most of our squad lack football intelligence) and are far better when they are drilled and work on instinct.

Over time, these massages will get through to the players. Our luck in front of goal has to turn very soon and when it does we may see something resembling a 'click into place' and the season gets kick-started.

Good post, I agree. We have to click some day surely

cpfc4evandeva
24-09-2017, 10:38 PM
People's optimism on here is wonderful, but also completely mental.

Guys, we're ****ed.

Buysakho
24-09-2017, 10:49 PM
We'll win the Caraboa cup and finish 14th. Everyone chill and enjoy a refreshing Caraboa .

Buglebob
25-09-2017, 03:02 PM
A refreshingly optimistic thread; just one 'fly in the ointment' so far!

Spindle
25-09-2017, 03:22 PM
I don't know what all the fuss is about. Lost 2 games we should've got at least a point from (Huddersfield & Swansea) because we were crap, then were very unlucky not to score versus 2 more (Burnley and Southampton) so could've been on 4 points, maybe 6, or 8 if we had a good start. Lost to Liverpool away & Citeh away - who expected points there? Now we face the next 2 sides at the top so nothing expected. Point is, we aren't that far off where we would have been anyway. Sure we dropped points but we're already seeing an improvement and that we can play - the points will come.

It's like the first season where we had 1 point in 8 games but we had actually played the top 7 sides in the first 8 games.

We'll be fine.

aj4england
25-09-2017, 03:28 PM
If we are no more than 6 points from safety after the Chelsea game I will have hope.

Brod
25-09-2017, 04:01 PM
Well, as I posted somewhere else, Roys premiership ppg is 1.35. Even if we get nothing from Man U and Chelsea 1.35 x 30 remaining games is 40 points.

Maybe, just maybe.

Maidstone Eagle
25-09-2017, 06:36 PM
We need five wins and maybe the odd draw by boxing day in my opinion to stand a chance.
Completely agree.

Usually 10 to 12 wins in a Season is enough.

Just baffled by how we managed to make such a stupid cocktail up with cover for striker.

Not clever

TWELLSEagle
25-09-2017, 06:51 PM
People's optimism on here is wonderful, but also completely mental.

Guys, we're ****ed.

We will stay up

RAB
25-09-2017, 07:27 PM
Survival from relegation will probably depend on how many struggling teams there are in the mix perhaps more than ever before.

This season is looking as if the gap between the super powers and the rest, which had closed, is widening again. The Manchester clubs are sweeping all before them and Chelsea have definitely overcome their malaise from the fall out parting with Mourinho. Spurs look to at last be on a par at least with Arsenal and Liverpool, albeit with a dodgy defence are playing with swagger and scoring plenty. Only Arsenal are yet to find their 'guaranteed' top 6 place form yet. Though they have just scored against West Brom. Everton remain a question mark.

If the gap has widened it may suggest that points against the top teams by the lesser will be even more scarce with fewer surprise results such as Palace achieved in those three games last Spring. The other 13/14 teams will take and lose points amongst each other and that might create an even bigger gap than the 16 points last season between 7th and 8th place.

If as many as 10/12 teams are involved in the end of season dogfight, perhaps this season will see the lowest points total to survive and if it's Palace who do, it would be a very welcome record amongst the unwanted others currently racking up.

Spindle
25-09-2017, 09:20 PM
It is also about who we beat. Turn over BHA, Bournemouth, plus a decent selection from Burnley, West Brom, West Ham, Newcastle, Stoke, Swansea etc and it'll matter more.

Hong Kong Eagle
26-09-2017, 12:12 AM
It is also about who we beat. Turn over BHA, Bournemouth, plus a decent selection from Burnley, West Brom, West Ham, Newcastle, Stoke, Swansea etc and it'll matter more.

We need to beat Burnley and Swansea in return fixtures just to stand still against those two clubs

Eagle96
14-10-2017, 04:14 PM

Newcastle (A)
West Ham (H)
Tottenham (A)
Everton (H)
Stoke (H)

Next 9 games are:
Brighton (A)
West Brom (A)
Bournemouth (H)
Watford (H)
Leicester (A)
Swansea (A)
Arsenal (H)
Man City (H)
Southampton (A)

Next matches 3 are:
Burnley (H)
Arsenal (A)
West Ham (A)

I stand corrected! Believe!