PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Jan Window

Jim Cannon
24-09-2017, 07:57 PM
So come the 31st when we are scrabbling around, with only one overseas loan space available, any other signings will have to be permanent. No one is going to fancy it are they

SJ'sLoveMonkey
24-09-2017, 07:59 PM
So come the 31st when we are scrabbling around, with only one overseas loan space available, any other signings will have to be permanent. No one is going to fancy it are they

You wouldn’t think so

WLYWLYAWYPWF
24-09-2017, 08:08 PM
Is he Dutch?

elgin eagle
24-09-2017, 08:40 PM
Is he Dutch?

:D

Jan Van der Vindow?

Enfield eagle
25-09-2017, 05:21 AM
Danish?

gold76
25-09-2017, 06:51 AM
I'm not being defeatist or negative, but if we are adrift, I'd expect pragmatism from Roy, perhaps a few senior pro's who would be capable of doing a job in the championship next season.

Ala Dowie and Houghton, if you go back that far, experienced, dependable, won't let you down.

As for who, I wouldn't mind Murray back, yes I'm a nostalgic bugger, hey I wouldn't say no to a last hurrah for Crouchie, an old war horse, who can still do a job at 37

Most will scoff, but the best signing value for money wise in recent times was old KP, bit of nous, didn't cost a bean and took us to the promised land.

I'd have loved us to have taken record breaker Gareth Barry in the summer, sometimes you can't put a price on experience

Chillo
25-09-2017, 07:45 AM
:D

Jan Clos der Vindow?

EFA

Nigelbrag
25-09-2017, 11:12 AM
As for the January window so much will be dependant on where we sit come the start of the new year, if we are seemingly in a hopeless position then planning will have to be based for life in the championship, as planning needs to start asap.
However, we all hope that we can survive, but we need to be realistic as it is looking like a hopeless situation especially if we were to lose our next 3/4 games, all of this is the consequences of poor leadership, but that is another story.
Make no mistake relegation will be financially disastrous for the club, as i just can't see Palace returning for many many seasons as it will be a completely rebuilding job needed as there are NO Youth players of note to fall back on due mainly to our complacency over our Youth development policy. We will need to hold on to a hardcore of some of our experienced players like Ward, Dann, McArthur along with a few others to give us a base to work from, then look at decent quality young Championship and Foreign players as Huddersfield did to bring in, if we are to succeed.
Whether we fans like it or not as it may be seen as throwing in the towel, but we will need to reduce our wage bill with players like Benteke, Townsend and even Zaha initially will need to be sold, but also so as to get the best fees whilst still a premiership club.
What a shambolic position to be in with NO legacy to show after FOUR seasons of Premiership money along with American investment money. No new Stadium or Stands, Youth development or facilities of note, a squad of players apart from Zaha and possibly Benteke? after 4 years spending with no true added value in the players does not bode well.
As i said lets hope we can pull off an unexpected feat and survive.

BillyTKid
25-09-2017, 11:32 AM
Need to get a striker with a good goal scoring record outside of the premier league, aged under 28. Somebody that has the potential to score goals in the premier league but will be well positioned to score goals in the champ if we go down. Oh and his name can't be Dwight Gayle.

gold76
06-10-2017, 08:47 AM
brief snippet in the adder saying we're looking at Lookman..

http://www.croydonadvertiser.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/transfer-talk-crystal-palace-tottenham-585395

elgin eagle
06-10-2017, 09:13 AM

http://www.croydonadvertiser.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/transfer-talk-crystal-palace-tottenham-585395

Hope so.

CharlieCPFC
06-10-2017, 09:40 AM

We should have made this happen before Everton signed him. Would make sense, a youngster who will develop with regular football but also a top player to help if the worse happens and we went down.

Pinkie Brown
06-10-2017, 09:54 AM
If there is hope it has to be two strikers and a first choice keeper minimum.
If we are cut adrift I'm afraid we need to jettison our top earners asap and plan for Championship :(

andyocpfc
06-10-2017, 09:59 AM
Experienced striker
Young striker.
Decent keeper

January sales please.

ANDYEAGLE
06-10-2017, 10:55 AM
If there is hope it has to be two strikers and a first choice keeper minimum.
If we are cut adrift I'm afraid we need to jettison our top earners asap and plan for Championship :(

Yes our transfer activity in January will very much depend on our league position. Hopefully after Chelsea is out of the way we can start putting some points on the board to give us a chance in January.

glaziers fan
06-10-2017, 12:29 PM
Lookman is exactly the sort of player we should go for in the window.

averity
06-10-2017, 12:44 PM
Zohore from Cardiff, international and young! Those are the sort of players we should be looking for, would be good signings regardless of the league we are in! The situation we are in at the minute I would be doing some dodgy dealings! Find a player in a low league pay the club to terminate his contract and then sign him up! I know it's not the way things should be done but every other ****** in the league bend the rules and we just stick straight as possible!! Desperate times mean desperate measures ;)

Adlerhorst
06-10-2017, 01:58 PM
Jan Window sounds Dutch and I thought the let’s sign him if he is Dutch thing stopped when we sacked the farmer.

EldraththeSane
06-10-2017, 02:39 PM
Players will come, any Championship player not in a promotion chasing side would be able to pick up a nice contract and still have a chance of being in the Prem next season

ForzaPalace
06-10-2017, 02:49 PM
We won't be signing anyone. No player in their right mind would want to come to Palace at the moment. Don't get your hopes up.

Ardent Eagle Forever
06-10-2017, 03:10 PM
Whoever we bring in needs to come in as the window opens. Not at the end of the window. Do we have AFC on in January?

Gyro1780
07-10-2017, 04:50 PM
I'm not being defeatist or negative, but if we are adrift, I'd expect pragmatism from Roy, perhaps a few senior pro's who would be capable of doing a job in the championship next season.

Ala Dowie and Houghton, if you go back that far, experienced, dependable, won't let you down.

As for who, I wouldn't mind Murray back, yes I'm a nostalgic bugger, hey I wouldn't say no to a last hurrah for Crouchie, an old war horse, who can still do a job at 37

Most will scoff, but the best signing value for money wise in recent times was old KP, bit of nous, didn't cost a bean and took us to the promised land.

I'd have loved us to have taken record breaker Gareth Barry in the summer, sometimes you can't put a price on experience

Ha :D Ha :D Ha. Yeah right ;)

JDawg
10-10-2017, 05:17 PM
Obvious point, but January's activity will be contingent on where we are in the league. The grown ups bought us survival last year but we were half way there at Christmas and even then only just. If we're struggling in December I wouldn't expect a repeat performance.

Dobbo
10-10-2017, 06:01 PM
This guy would fit in well.......

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41558174

thereichstuff
10-10-2017, 07:53 PM
We won't be signing anyone. No player in their right mind would want to come to Palace at the moment. Don't get your hopes up.

:S:

gold76
11-10-2017, 11:16 AM
Beeb snippets still have Leicester keen on Townsend..

And us, Baggies and Weed, keen on Gary Hooper!

JackTheBiscuit
11-10-2017, 12:13 PM
Beeb snippets still have Leicester keen on Townsend..

And us, Baggies and Weed, keen on Gary Hooper!

Preparing for the championship......

Bourne Eagle
11-10-2017, 12:32 PM
Preparing for the championship......

far to early to plan for the championship we need to be there for 2 seasons first:mad:

theCoach
11-10-2017, 01:10 PM
As for the January window so much will be dependant on where we sit come the start of the new year, if we are seemingly in a hopeless position then planning will have to be based for life in the championship, as planning needs to start asap.
However, we all hope that we can survive, but we need to be realistic as it is looking like a hopeless situation especially if we were to lose our next 3/4 games, all of this is the consequences of poor leadership, but that is another story.
Make no mistake relegation will be financially disastrous for the club, as i just can't see Palace returning for many many seasons as it will be a completely rebuilding job needed as there are NO Youth players of note to fall back on due mainly to our complacency over our Youth development policy. We will need to hold on to a hardcore of some of our experienced players like Ward, Dann, McArthur along with a few others to give us a base to work from, then look at decent quality young Championship and Foreign players as Huddersfield did to bring in, if we are to succeed.
Whether we fans like it or not as it may be seen as throwing in the towel, but we will need to reduce our wage bill with players like Benteke, Townsend and even Zaha initially will need to be sold, but also so as to get the best fees whilst still a premiership club.
What a shambolic position to be in with NO legacy to show after FOUR seasons of Premiership money along with American investment money. No new Stadium or Stands, Youth development or facilities of note, a squad of players apart from Zaha and possibly Benteke? after 4 years spending with no true added value in the players does not bode well.
As i said lets hope we can pull off an unexpected feat and survive.

chin up nige....think we will have a good November and December

redsox
11-10-2017, 01:15 PM
We have to sell before buying there are so many players that we have who are unable to cut it at this level. Sicknote Wickham for example he has a glass body the most overpaid plonker who gets paid stupid money to train in the gym.

JDawg
11-10-2017, 02:02 PM
This guy would fit in well.......

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41558174

In answer to the question on the clip. Yes. Scott Dann against Burnley.

TristanWhite
11-10-2017, 03:48 PM
Croydon Advertiser today says we may sign Paco Alcácer, as he's been told by Barcelona he can leave in January.
http://www.croydonadvertiser.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/transfer-talk-crystal-palace-southampton-605028

My other team apart from CPFC is Valencia CF, where Alcácer did very well, banging in loads of goals for us. He came from Valencia's youth team and when he joined the senior team he scored 30 goals in 93 appearances, and became a regular in the Spain national side, scoring six times in 13 appearances. Hardly set La Liga alight but not a bad return.

However, Gary Neville in his terrible period in charge of Valencia, stripped him of his captaincy and at the end of the summer Alcácer decided he wanted to move to Barcelona. In spite of the fact that his buy-out clause was 80m€ and he'd recently signed a contract extension till 2020, he decided that Valencia wasn't big enough for him and made an awful fuss, to the extent that the fans got really angry with him and Valencia let him go for just 30m€ to Barcelona, where surprise surprise he barely got a game in, as he was always going to be fourth choice after Neymar, Messi and Suárez. He stopped getting called up for Spain.

So now Barcelona are happy for him to go, and I imagine they'll be happy to make a loss on him. He's a good player, he'll score goals fairly regularly, but I suspect that if come the January window we are still languishing at or near the bottom, he won't want to come. He does seem to think that he's a better player than he is.

I would expect Barcelona to be expecting to make a loss on him, and may let him go for £15m. He is probably NOT as good as Benteke, so he would probably end up on the bench, though there is probably not much between them. If Alcácer were to get his mojo back, inspired by playing in London, he could raise his game. But I suspect that he would end up being a sub most of the time, unless Benteke got injured or suspended and he got a decent run.

Still, there's worse players we can aim for. Just expect him to leave in the summer unless he gets plenty of matches.

DARZET EAGLE
11-10-2017, 04:20 PM
chin up nige....think we will have a good November and December.

I agree Coach, Nigel needs to take his usual positive stance. I disagree with his opinion about lack of Academy talent. Maybe they may not be up to Premier League standard yet, but some could be a force in the Championship should we seriously slip up and get relegated. The Under 18's remain undefeated after 8 games and are top of their league, and Woosie reckons the Under 16 group are the best for many years.

elgin eagle
11-10-2017, 04:29 PM
Croydon Advertiser today says we may sign Paco Alcácer, as he's been told by Barcelona he can leave in January.
http://www.croydonadvertiser.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/transfer-talk-crystal-palace-southampton-605028

My other team apart from CPFC is Valencia CF, where Alcácer did very well, banging in loads of goals for us. He came from Valencia's youth team and when he joined the senior team he scored 30 goals in 93 appearances, and became a regular in the Spain national side, scoring six times in 13 appearances. Hardly set La Liga alight but not a bad return.

However, Gary Neville in his terrible period in charge of Valencia, stripped him of his captaincy and at the end of the summer Alcácer decided he wanted to move to Barcelona. In spite of the fact that his buy-out clause was 80m€ and he'd recently signed a contract extension till 2020, he decided that Valencia wasn't big enough for him and made an awful fuss, to the extent that the fans got really angry with him and Valencia let him go for just 30m€ to Barcelona, where surprise surprise he barely got a game in, as he was always going to be fourth choice after Neymar, Messi and Suárez. He stopped getting called up for Spain.

So now Barcelona are happy for him to go, and I imagine they'll be happy to make a loss on him. He's a good player, he'll score goals fairly regularly, but I suspect that if come the January window we are still languishing at or near the bottom, he won't want to come. He does seem to think that he's a better player than he is.

I would expect Barcelona to be expecting to make a loss on him, and may let him go for £15m. He is probably NOT as good as Benteke, so he would probably end up on the bench, though there is probably not much between them. If Alcácer were to get his mojo back, inspired by playing in London, he could raise his game. But I suspect that he would end up being a sub most of the time, unless Benteke got injured or suspended and he got a decent run.

Still, there's worse players we can aim for. Just expect him to leave in the summer unless he gets plenty of matches.

Sounds like a decent shout and FAR better than the unattached freebies that are without clubs.

I guess it depends if we are cut adrift or have managed to stay in contention with the players available to call on at the moment. Might need Wilf up top with someone who can hold it up for him. Either that or in some sort of David Villa-esque role.

JDawg
15-10-2017, 08:28 PM
Just listened to the rather good HOL radio review show. Right at the end there was talk of Bolasie. Is this remotely possible or just a pipe dream?

averity
15-10-2017, 09:13 PM
Would be a dream to get yala back! But Not sure he will ever be the same player after the injury, not sure as he is all about his movement and his strange leg positions so will be interesting!

gold76
16-10-2017, 11:13 AM
If we stay up, it would be amazing to get yala back next summer.

Sadly I think alas Wild will get a big move if we're offer silly money

swissroll
16-10-2017, 12:35 PM
Yannicks injury is horrible, a few years ago and there would have been no chance he would play again - would be amazed if he gets anywhere near the level he was with us/

Jan window - a striker and a keeper. Thats all

Summer - can see the squad being ripped up and starting again as Southampton did a few seasons ago. We need so many players

Keeper or backup keeper if we get a number 1 in Jan
RB and backup RB
Poss CB if Tomkins injuries just keep happening
Cabeye Replacement
RLC replacement
2 strikers (assuming we get one in Jan), maybe 3 if Benteke goes
B Sako replacement

Min 8 Players and at least 5 of them quality starters

CharlieCPFC
16-10-2017, 04:56 PM
Yannicks injury is horrible, a few years ago and there would have been no chance he would play again - would be amazed if he gets anywhere near the level he was with us/

Summer - can see the squad being ripped up and starting again as Southampton did a few seasons ago. We need so many players

RB and backup RB
Cabeye Replacement
RLC replacement
B Sako replacement

Agree with this, some good results under Roy if they come can't and won't hide the fact this squad needs a lot of work done to it. SP will have to pull his finger out and put some money into it big time if he wants to truly cement us as a solid PL club and not worry about relegation each year.

One thing I do trust though going by Saturday is Roy and DF to assemble a squad capable fitting into an ethos which requires working hard which will hopefully minimise the duds who clearly don't give a f**k like Mutch.

brisbane_eagle
17-10-2017, 04:47 AM

RB and backup RB

Cabeye Replacement

RLC replacement

B Sako replacement

Fair enough but where does the money come from for these 8 players? We don’t have it and quality players are so overpriced. We can’t afford this so we have to manage with some of the existing squad. This explains why Ward is still the number 1 RB. And let’s face it, he did well on Saturday.

The last thing SP wants to do is blow the budget (like Everton) and end up with a collection of skilled individuals who cannot function as a team.

We’ve persisted with Cabaye and McArthur and look how well they played too.

The current squad with three or four additions is the best we can hope for and when the best 11 gel on the pitch they can potentially beat anyone. RLC would be a great signing as well as a keeper and striker/attacking winger.

It’s the consistency which needs improving and I think it is going to improve now confidence is high.

Joe.L
17-10-2017, 06:18 AM
Fair enough but where does the money come from for these 8 players? We don’t have it and quality players are so overpriced. We can’t afford this so we have to manage with some of the existing squad. This explains why Ward is still the number 1 RB. And let’s face it, he did well on Saturday.

The last thing SP wants to do is blow the budget (like Everton) and end up with a collection of skilled individuals who cannot function as a team.

We’ve persisted with Cabaye and McArthur and look how well they played too.

The current squad with three or four additions is the best we can hope for and when the best 11 gel on the pitch they can potentially beat anyone. RLC would be a great signing as well as a keeper and striker/attacking winger.

It’s the consistency which needs improving and I think it is going to improve now confidence is high.

The problem faced with this plan is there will be more than 4 of the current squad at the end of their contract this season. They will need replacing before you even look to upgrade some of the weakest areas in the squad. In the longer term we need to try and start getting fees for players rather than them being allowed to run down their contracts all the time.

From the top of my head we would currently lose at the end of the season:

Mcarthur
Cabaye
Ward
Delaney
RLC
TFM
Bakary Sako?
CYL?
Speroni

Thats an extensive list all who have been in and around the matchday but still hasn't allowed for upgrading Kelly, Ladapo or Mutch in the overall 25.

brisbane_eagle
17-10-2017, 06:52 AM
The problem faced with this plan is there will be more than 4 of the current squad at the end of their contract this season. They will need replacing before you even look to upgrade some of the weakest areas in the squad. In the longer term we need to try and start getting fees for players rather than them being allowed to run down their contracts all the time.

From the top of my head we would currently lose at the end of the season:

Mcarthur

Cabaye

Ward

Delaney

RLC

TFM

Bakary Sako?

CYL?

Speroni

Thats an extensive list all who have been in and around the matchday but still hasn't allowed for upgrading Kelly, Ladapo or Mutch in the overall 25.

Sure but we should offer new contracts to some of those, Cabaye, McArthur,Ward as a minimum as they would still be able to do a job. Speroni would be a good back up keeper.

It’s the same adage as previous “in Parish would should trust”. He didn’t sign a second striker last window but now we’re all wondering whether Wilf can play there? We’ve got Benteke and Wickham back soon so do we go out and splash a huge amount of money on someone we cannot be sure will gel into the team? Missing out on Niasse may well turn into a blessing in disguise.

Excluding the FBD debacle (which he rectified v quickly), I reckon SP secretly knows exactly what he is doing! Despite a poor transfer record last summer I reckon we could get into the top half very soon.

Joe.L
17-10-2017, 07:56 AM
Can't imagine Cabaye signing a new contract but Mcarthur and Ward possibly would. Though they would obviously demand improved terms as I would imagine they are amongst the lower earners in the squad so therefore tying up more of whatever budget is available. Really is a tricky juggling act so lets hope you are right and SP does know what he's doing!

brisbane_eagle
17-10-2017, 10:00 AM
What makes you think Cabaye wouldn't want to sign another contract? He's a great player and he gives the impression that he likes playing for us, so if the ££ is right, he'll stay.

Joe.L
17-10-2017, 10:30 PM
Always thougjt he was heading back to France but could be wrong.

theCoach
19-10-2017, 06:53 AM
Commanding keeper and matchday striker essential.

BillyTKid
19-10-2017, 07:12 AM
Its such a difficult one with Cabaye. If he did want a new contract with us (which I'm doubtful of) then he would surely want three years. He turns 32 in January and although he is a fantastic player for us do we really want the wage burden for another three years when he is likely to deteriorate? In an ideal world we would sign him on for another year but he will be looking for one big last contract. I think we might need to move on and find another Luka type buy.

CharlieCPFC
19-10-2017, 08:07 AM
Its such a difficult one with Cabaye. If he did want a new contract with us (which I'm doubtful of) then he would surely want three years. He turns 32 in January and although he is a fantastic player for us do we really want the wage burden for another three years when he is likely to deteriorate? In an ideal world we would sign him on for another year but he will be looking for one big last contract. I think we might need to move on and find another Luka type buy.

I suspect Cabaye will be looking at getting big contract on America or China possibly.

He's going to be hard to replace but there is players out there, we could do a lot worse than Cairney at Fulham.

mexicaneagle
20-10-2017, 04:07 PM
Luckily we now have a Sporting Director, whose job it is to make sure that we have players lined up for contact and possible bids accepted as soon as the window opens.

Our needs are clear and if we don't have a striker and keeper lined up for quick transfer early January, then what the hell has Doogie been doing?