PDA

View Full Version : Player Ratings And Reviews: Man Utd (away)

glaziers fan
30-09-2017, 03:53 PM
Hennessey 5 His mistake for the 3rd. Still can't command his box properly

PVA 5 Defended ok and got forward well. Decent technical player, but poor positionally
Delaney 6 Fine
Sakho 6 Good distribution, good clearances, poor in the air
Ward 4 Abysmal. Gifted them the game. One mistake, but you can't afford to do that in this context.

Schlupp 5 Lacked fight in first half, improved second but correct to sub him
Puncheon 3 He was awful. Handballs, mistimed tackles, backward passes. Not up to this level. Maybe he will do well vs Bristol City?
Milivojevic 6 Solid, tries to pass forward
Cabaye 7 MOM didn't stop running. Class act
Townsend 7 Worked hard. Good first half. Can't fault him

Sako 6 Felt he did well leading the line out of position. Got into some good positions.

Subs:

McArthur - N/A did little
Riedewald - N/A but promising
Ladapo - N/A but some decent touches.

Hopefully we will have a few players back for the next one. Not an atrocious performance despite the scoreline. Sympathise with the players.

Thefunkymonk
30-09-2017, 03:53 PM
Tbh. They are all shit.

7 games. 0 points. 0 goals. 17 conceded (9 in 2 games with £25m sakho)

glaziers fan
30-09-2017, 03:56 PM
Tbh. They are all shit.

Against the Premier League Champions elect, and the Premier League Runners Up elect. Stop wetting your pants? Those season tickets up for grabs? Just send me a PM and I'll come and collect them. Wilf's back for the next game ;)

beef
30-09-2017, 03:57 PM
Hennessey and Van Aanholt were particularly pathetic

teesdale99
30-09-2017, 03:59 PM
Hen 4
Ward 3
Sakho 4
Deleanney 6
Pva 3
Luka 7
Cabaye 6
Puncheon 4
Townsend 6
Schlup 3
Sako 5

CPFC.1990
30-09-2017, 03:59 PM
Ladapo was MOTM.

Hennessey a joke.

Van Aanholt is a pub player in the over 60s division. £14m BFS you twat.

oldeagle
30-09-2017, 04:03 PM
This picture tells me everything. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41370357

Langers
30-09-2017, 04:04 PM
PVA has a "couldn't care less attitude" - just awful - can still be a great season if we send the weeds down

glaziers fan
30-09-2017, 04:05 PM

It's a fair point. Hennessey should be claiming it and Delaney barely off the ground. But other than that we did ok. Honestly.

IanH
30-09-2017, 04:07 PM
Against the Premier League Champions elect, and the Premier League Runners Up elect. Stop wetting your pants? Those season tickets up for grabs? Just send me a PM and I'll come and collect them. Wilf's back for the next game ;)

No we have lost 7 games not just the last 2 which includes defeats by Huddersfield, Swansea, Burnley and Southampton.

teesdale99
Dispiriting, disheartening. Still in disbelief at our transfer window and abysmal squad management. However heads didn't drop totally and I for one are going to continue to support them and somehow get some atmosphere/passion/luck going in our next few games, something to kick start our season. I still believe that when we finally get zaha rlc Luka Townsend cabaye together, even with sako up front for abut, we will start to turn it round.

Our shape wasn't bad today - similar to first half at city - if we had started the season like this (with a sensible formation in pre season to boot) with a pragmatist like Hodgson or dyche in charge we wouldn't be in such a mess now.

kark
0 points, -17 goal difference

...hell's bells

davo
30-09-2017, 04:08 PM
Hen 5 - some good saves
Ward 2 - started the rot, he is being targeted as a slow player now
Sakho 6 - great to see him back
Delaney - 4 should not be part of our squad, great passion, way too slow
Pva 3 - poor
Luka 6 - MOM
Cabaye 5 - OK
Puncheon 4 - tried hard but doesnt add anything
Townsend 5 - good outlet but not much of his creativity had any impact
Schlup 4 - he also tried hard but he lacks ideas, he did win a pen so he was unlucky we had another twat of a ref against us
Sako 4 - not a striker
Lapado - 5 best bit of the game seeing him come on.

sheepy
30-09-2017, 04:09 PM
Watch punch's attempt to mark Smalling for their third goal. Tells you everything you need to know about our esteemed captain.

Teagle
No we have lost 7 games not just the last 2 which includes defeats by Huddersfield, Swansea, Burnley and Southampton.

If you refuse to be incessantly optimistic in the face of these defeats you'll be politely asked to hand in your Palace shirt and go support one of the 'Big 6'.

Thefunkymonk

Thanks. Saves me repeating myself

jimmy the gent
30-09-2017, 04:11 PM
How on earth Puncheon gets called "one of the greatest Palace players of all time", when he's only ever played well for us for about a 9 month period 3 years ago, absolutely baffles me. On current form i dont even think he's Championship standard, league one i think he could do a job. Maybe he can sign for AFC Wimbledon and have the holy trinity of three south london sides he's claimed to support as a kid.

BillyTKid
A lot of players running around but doing the bare minimum. Had a similiar feel to the Arsenal away game last year.

kark
Townsend 6

Schlupp -7 & Hennessey -6 should be exiled in a Siberian labour camp for the rest of their days

The rest, 0

mynameisnotmax
30-09-2017, 04:18 PM
Schlupp and PVA are both lemons. We got royally stooged on those 2.

Cabaye has talent but needs to be surrounded by leaders which we don't have

Puncheon has lost his passion and confidence.

Hennessey often looks like a defender playing fill in keeper. We need Speroni back

Ward is making crucial errors every game.

Its getting increasingly difficult to watch palace. The fact that we're hoping for a goal, let alone a draw or a win says it all.
Roy is in an extremely difficult position and I fear he's too soft to handle the job ahead of him.

PemboExpress
30-09-2017, 04:23 PM
Henn - 5 up to his usual standard, i.e. not good enough and at fault for 1 goal. Passenger no.1.
Ward - 4, so slow, so poor. Dream full back for any decent oppo player to come up against. Passenger no.2.
Sakho - 5, still needs to find match fitness and sharpness especially with so much shit around him.
Delaney - 4, well he didn't hoof it but looked a liability at times and at fault for 3rd goal. Legend for what he's done, but he should not be featuring now.
PVA - 3 dreadful, so left footed and lazy. Passenger no.3
Luka - 5 passed it well at times but missing the tackling snap he had last year.
Cabaye - 6 class at times, but missing at others.
Punch - 3, passed responsibility, passed into danger in tight spots and passed backwards. Passenger no.4
Schlupp - 2, atrocious today, another so left footed its embarrassing. Awful for 1st goal and clueless going forwards. Passenger no. 5.
Sako - 6. Says something when he's our motm imo for actually putting in a shift up front and doing pretty well given limited support.
Townsend - 5, nice touchs and dribbles but lack of any end result. No confidence to shoot when **** all else on.

Jairo - 4 jury out.
Jimmy - 4 didn't get into game
Lapado - 4 limited time to show anything meaningful.

glaziers fan
30-09-2017, 04:26 PM

Under FdB's watch. Relax. RH will be ok.

ee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o
30-09-2017, 04:27 PM
PVA has a "couldn't care less attitude" - just awful

To me that came across in his pre match interview..had to keep stopping himself from smirking..not impressed.

Martin H
30-09-2017, 04:28 PM
Tbh. They are all shit.

Hmmm.

I actually thought Cabaye had a reasonable game and he seemed to be the only grown up footballer we had.

I am off out to drown my sorrows I reckon but before I do and with only seeing it onscreen:

I didn't understand the idea of playing Sakho on the right where he looked very uncomfortable and bringing in Damo instead of playing Kelly alongside Sakho. Seems barmy to me, especially with ManU's pace and power.

Hennessey - 6 - I am sure he will get blamed by the usual suspects but I think he played OK and made one or two sharp saves. The 3rd goal I would have to see again but I think Rashford hit the FK so hard that he had no time to move to cut it out and as Hennessey was hiding behind Fellaini (WTF) he had no chance with the header.

Ward - 4 - this might be generous but he is a trier and never gave up. Completely done by Rashford for the first goal which was pretty criminal but I hope to see Timbo back next match

Sakho - 5 - he was often out of position leaving him a lot to do on several occasions and didn't look right for most of the game TBH as instead of his cultured left foot he was awkward on the ball.

Damo - 5 - TBH he did better than I expected as I thought he would get killed by Lukaku for pace but the latter seemed reserved. Damo did OK.

PVA - 5 - frustrating because he seems to have something but it won't quite come out. When at Sunderland he would be crap at the back but a handful coming forward. That's not working here.

Luka - 5.5 - he is trying but he hasn't recovered last year's form still. Composed when others panic but not the midifield giant of last year.

Puncheon - 5 - worked hard but average performance

Townsend - 5.5 - I want to give him more because he was putting huge effort in and was often involved in our possession but he seems to be in a permanent blind alley right now. No idea what to do with it, rarely gets to the byline and when he does he was crossing as if Benteke was there. Flattered to deceive TBH and if you look at what actually came of his possession it was very little.

Cabaye - 7 - Seemed to be the only one with any clue and put in a huge shift today, chasing a lot of lost causes. So marked him up for persevering TBH. All uphill still because he was too often on his own and with no outlets.

Schlupp - 3 - Seemed to be playing the same role against Valencia as he did against Kyle Walker but took it so literally in the first half that he was a waste of space when he did get the ball. Weird performance.

Sako - 5.5 - extra half point for being out of position and keeping at it with awful support. He worked at it and a couple of times won balls that I don't think Benteke would have won. One great shot at goal and I just which he would pull the trigger more often.

Jairo, Macca and Ladapo all did OK when they came on. I like the look of Jairo but it's difficult to tell in these short spells in these situations. I just get the feeling that Jairo, Cabaye and Ruben together would be interesting to watch with the ball as they can all play first touch and know in advance where it's going.

Ref - I don't normally have a dig at the ref and this is a minor grumble but I did think the decisions were mostly Utd's way. We rarely got FKs for the shoves but Rashford etc got everything.

COYP

Sob....

CPFC.1990
30-09-2017, 04:29 PM
Van Aanholt is crap.

andyocpfc
30-09-2017, 04:29 PM
4-0 suggests we're improving. They'll be no stopping us in a few games.

glaziers fan
30-09-2017, 04:31 PM
Henn - 5 up to his usual standard, i.e. not good enough and at fault for 1 goal. Passenger no.1.
Ward - 4, so slow, so poor. Dream full back for any decent oppo player to come up against. Passenger no.2.
Sakho - 5, still needs to find match fitness and sharpness especially with so much shit around him.
Delaney - 4, well he didn't hoof it but looked a liability at times and at fault for 3rd goal. Legend for what he's done, but he should not be featuring now.
PVA - 3 dreadful, so left footed and lazy. Passenger no.3
Luka - 5 passed it well at times but missing the tackling snap he had last year.
Cabaye - 6 class at times, but missing at others.
Punch - 3, passed responsibility, passed into danger in tight spots and passed backwards. Passenger no.4
Schlupp - 2, atrocious today, another so left footed its embarrassing. Awful for 1st goal and clueless going forwards. Passenger no. 5.
Sako - 6. Says something when he's our motm imo for actually putting in a shift up front and doing pretty well given limited support.
Townsend - 5, nice touchs and dribbles but lack of any end result. No confidence to shoot when **** all else on.

Jairo - 4 jury out.
Jimmy - 4 didn't get into game
Lapado - 4 limited time to show anything meaningful.

pretty fair assessment of our starters. Cut the subs some slack though!

beef
Van Aanholt is crap.

He has ability but is positionally terrible and doesn't appear to give a shit

Eagle's Nest
Hennessey 2 (shite)
PVA 3 (shite)
Delaney 6 (fine)
Sakho 6 (fine)
Ward 1 (dreadfully, dreadfully shite)
Townsend 6 (fine)
Milivojevic 6 (fine)
Cabaye 6 (fine)
Puncheon 5 (below fine)
Schlupp 3 (poor)
Sako 7 (ran around and did better than Benteke)

Simmo the Elder
30-09-2017, 04:32 PM
Speroni or Sakho for Captain . Enough of the Puncheon hokey - cokey . You are either in or out. He is most certainly not spraying it all about (usually backwards). He has had his time in the match day squad IMHO. Who partnered Sakho most last season when clean sheets were kept? It certainly was not Dann . Tomkins I think. As was the case in the League Cup v Huddersfield?

DocSavage
30-09-2017, 04:37 PM

Well said and I agree. My son was on a tube last Saturday night on way home carriage was empty apart from hodgson and 3 colleagues. He described them as being very low. Now you could read that in many ways but I see it as an accomplished manager with an appetite and it's our role to give him RESOLVE. so stop smiling (the dutchman was a nutcase) back the manager and the team

brighton_eagle
30-09-2017, 04:41 PM
Ward had a mare, but then he was up against an in form Rashford, an inform Young and then Martial later in the game. PVA, however, was just really poor and had an easier time of it. Schlupp also very poor first half, but did a little better second half.

Cabaye MoM. Chased backpasses, closed players and tried to play football. Tired though, unsurprisingly. Andros close behind but ended up trying to do too much. Sakho isn't fully match fit clearly, and Damo is a busted flush. Luka did OK. Puncheon worked hard but to little effect. Not fair really to say much about Sako, as he's out of position, but I'd rather see Ladapo start upfront next few matches. Sako did work hard though, but tended, naturally, to pull wide too much.

Jairo and Ladapo to start next game for Punch and Sako. Hopefully Wilf will be back to play wide, if not Sako to replace Schlupp there. Jules in goal please.

Simmo the Elder
30-09-2017, 04:52 PM
Jairo and Ladapo to start next game for Punch and Sako. Hopefully Wilf will be back to play wide, if not Sako to replace Schlupp there. Jules in goal please.[/QUOTE]

Sounds good to me. Possibly with an 'under the micoscope' Schlupp moving back to Left back to replace PVA, if only as he was solid there under BFS ?

Wein
30-09-2017, 04:57 PM
we have let in more goals under Roy than we did with Frank. roys first 3 games we are 10-0 down.

4 cryingOutloud
30-09-2017, 05:00 PM
Loftus Cheek, Zaha, Benteke, Tomkins, Dann and Fosu-Mensah all missing. Any team would be shite without six of their better players. Sure, there were some substandard performances against United's collection of disgustingly priced band of foreign Legion players who we have no way of competing with (well not until they're well into their 30 and past it). You simply cannot play the likes of Sako, PVA, Shlupp, Ward & Puncheon and expect a result. We were absolute crap again, but some of it is down to having no luck and too many players on the treatment table, coupled with a certain Chairman's lack of enthusiasm over the summer. I will never forget his statement that we have a very talented squad of players, and that he was Impressed with Frank DeBoer with his vision of playing pure football at his interview. Our squad aren't talented at all, that's for sure.

Perhaps we should take a look at the way Harris & Blitzer have taken over certain American sports club and run them into the ground, then they try to rebuild on a shoestring. Only one thing wrong with that, you don't get relegated in America, you just go up and down the one league, so it won't work here.

AJ
30-09-2017, 05:00 PM
After 2 mins, I was able to except defeat and tried to watch the game as a neutral. My conclusion was that we have a number of players out of form or not good enough and a lack of confidence. Defensively, we are terrible, especially from the flanks. All the goals came through the flanks and all from the right side. We are not scoring goals because we are not creating chances, fix that and my long deceased gran could put them away.

Hen 6 - people like to blame him, but in all honestly today wasn't his fault.
Ward 1 - looks like a player who is sulking. Easily lost his man in the 2 min and threw away the game, all the goals came from his side. He has lost any motivation he once had. Once he gave up and a good cross field pass from Cabaye and then he gave up on the 4th goal.
Van 3 - really isn't very good. Bad attitude.
Sako 5 - shaky, but I can see he is still not 100% sharp.
Delaney 5 - did a lot better than I expected. On the times he lost the ball he showed passion to get back and win the ball back, more than can be said for some of the other players.
Luka 6 - a lot of work defensively, but we need him to push forward and get into the opponents box.
Punch - 5 not terrible, but seems to have lost so much of his game.
Cabaye - 6 worked hard, it needs better players around him.
Shlupp - 2 poor, lacks confidence big time.
Townsend 6 - MoM. Ran all afternoon, while some of his team mates just strolled. Tried to create but without success.
Sako 6 - grew into the game, but not the position. He looked decent on the ball when out wide but not so good trying to big the center forward. Worked hard.

Subs: McArthur 1 - complete waste of space. It was right to bring off Shlupp but to replace him with a player who made no effort at all was a joke. What has happened to him? He used to be a terrier of a player. Mutch would have been a better option.
Ladapo 5 - tbh didn't look any worse an option than Sako or Benteke. He won a couple of headers and flicked the ball forward, but to no one.
Reldeweld 2 - like McArthur the player he replaced was having a better game.

ianace
30-09-2017, 05:06 PM
I thought we did well for large parts of the game without actually looking like scoring.
However, we will always lose until 1) we can stop crosses coming in 2) we can defend them in the middle & actually mark players!

Al From Bromley
30-09-2017, 05:30 PM
Bearing in mind it was Man U they were playing, for spells of the game they knocked it around OK. It was a game they were never going to win, just as Man City was and Chelsea will be. It's what comes after that that matters, and to me they looked a lot more cohesive at times today than in previous games. Still some glaring errors, but some promising signs too that they can beat lesser teams.

Michael G
30-09-2017, 05:33 PM
Bearing in mind it was Man U they were playing, for spells of the game they knocked it around OK. It was a game they were never going to win, just as Man City was and Chelsea will be. It's what comes after that that matters, and to me they looked a lot more cohesive at times today than in previous games. Still some glaring errors, but some promising signs too that they can beat lesser teams.

Today was never going to tell us much against this lot with so many players out. I think we will be more competitive against Chelsea then we must kick on.

glenn.f
30-09-2017, 05:34 PM
The way i'm looking at this little run under Hodgson is as a pre-season (admittedly a bad one) against some of the top sides in the country, and as it stands it was always going to be difficult to see, or even expect too much of an upturn in fortunes. Once we start to play those lesser sides will be the time to judge how Roy has improved us you'd think. Cannot see the point in condemning anybody during this run of difficult fixture with confidence lower than Pavarotti's belly. Hopefully by the time we get to play the big boys in the returns confidence will have been restored allowing us to compete a little better than we are at the moment. Its all we can do for the minute despite the frustrations of every passing weekend.

Wein
30-09-2017, 05:45 PM
Does anyone think after losing 7 games 17-0 and most probably the 8th game by maybe 3 or 4 goals that we are going a have any confidence going into the next few games and get a win or even a draw i hope for miracles but just don't see it happening i hope i'm wrong.

JDawg
30-09-2017, 05:48 PM
we have let in more goals under Roy than we did with Frank. roys first 3 games we are 10-0 down.

Um. The two Manchester clubs? If we shipped three at home against Huddersfield what exactly were you expecting?

jimmy the gent
30-09-2017, 05:48 PM
Ward had a mare

He must've got a f*cking stable full of them at this point.

fuzziettt
30-09-2017, 05:50 PM
Im as bigger an advocate of the fact we pulled the trigger to early as anyone.

However this comparison is grossly unfair for several reasons, least of all the quality of the opposition.

jimmy the gent
30-09-2017, 05:50 PM
the commentator said something about a palace player being carded, thus suspended for Chelsea but i missed who it was?

grand aigle
30-09-2017, 05:51 PM

No hes not, whats the point? Save him for a game we may just score in

bigend1
30-09-2017, 05:52 PM

Really?

You cant actually see beyond the results?

Roy has effectively had 2 games he could properly influence
. Man city and utd.. the two most dangerous and in form sides in the league with half of our players missing

**** off

bigGcpfc
30-09-2017, 05:55 PM
Puncheon got caught in possession more times than Pete Dohety

JDawg
30-09-2017, 05:58 PM
Does anyone think after losing 7 games 17-0 and most probably the 8th game by maybe 3 or 4 goals that we are going a have any confidence going into the next few games and get a win or even a draw i hope for miracles but just don't see it happening i hope i'm wrong.

Look at what Spurs did to Huddersfield and City did to Watford at their home grounds. I don't know whats happened but theres a visible gap opening with the big boys. We sure as hell wont be the last to be on the wrong end of a hammering. The good news is it will be out of the way.

If there was a mistake, it was keeping FDB beyond the Swansea game, but hindsight is wonderful.

I'll wait until mid November before deciding whether to panic.

Kai
30-09-2017, 06:00 PM
Our defending is atrocious for all the goals. Ward gets played like a kid for the first and the rest are caught ballwatching. Schlupp looks up, sees Mata, then does nothing!

The second we have 9 players back and nobody picks up the run of Fellaini! Mata is also left totally on his own on 5 yards

The 3rd is a comedy of errors. Ward, Hennessey, Luka and Delaney all do nothing but watch. Not to mention the play leading up the free kick.

For the 4th- where the hell is PVA?

Cabaye was the best of our lot today

bigGcpfc
30-09-2017, 06:02 PM
We got hammered at home by Huddersfield !! I posted after that game that we would lose our first 8 games and was mocked. Stevie Wonder could see how very poor a side we are and the problem is with so many poor players even when we get our better ones back I don't think they will make that much difference.

CPFC.1990
30-09-2017, 06:05 PM
Luka gets off very lightly from criticism. The guy just doesn't get the basics right. His tracking of the spare man is non existent. Still living off last seasons form, he needs to up his game.

CaptainCharisma
30-09-2017, 06:12 PM
On the coach on the way home.

Hennessy - 1 - failed to command his book and just stood flat footed for their second and third, awful keeper.

Ward - 0 - at fault for the 1st and 4th. Couldn't pass for love nor money, sakho constantly dragged out of position to cover him

Sakho - 6 - did ok in a poor defence

Damo - 5 - ok, less productive then sakho

PVA - 4 - ball watching at times, although not helped by schlupp

Luka - 5 - had some positive moments, but also gave away the ball a lot a just struggled to break up play

Cabaye - 7 - gave it everything in a side that didn't really help him

Punch - 4 - just offers nothing at all. Tries, but with little production

Townsend - 7 - have everything, ran out of steam second half

Schlupp - 0 - gave nothing, literally nothing. First half just stood there. Had a great opportunity from a mid clearance by de gea and instead of shooting at an open goal, opted for a woeful cross. Didn't deserve to come out second half

Sako - 6 - tried, not a striker. Won nothing from Smalling and Jones. Got dragged out of position trying to get the ball. Put in effort

Subs

McArthur - didn't do much

Jairo - could use of the ball, clearly low on confidence

Ladapo - good on the lad. Should have been given longer. One every header, more than sako achieved. He may not be a top player, but he is a young lad who appreciates the opportunity and just wants to play. Deserves more chances

Here is the thing. We lost 4-0 away to United, I believe a few have this season. We lost 5-0 to city, that happens no matter who our manager is and they tonked Watford away the week before 6-0. Despite he lost cause, the players didn't just throw in the towel, I think hodgson will get fight from the team. The problem is the lack of quality. Most of these players just aren't good enough. We have three left backs at the club, none of which are that good at defending. Injury prone centre backs. Tomkins is our second best CB after sakho, but can't stay fit. Just one striker who is injured. The quality players we do have, Wilf is injured and RLC seems to struggle to stay fit. Cabaye and Townsend and carrying he team and on their own it isn't enough. But madness is, we are not dead and buried. Get Chelsea out the way and of players are back, it's game on. A despite 7 losses and no goals, we somehow are only 5 adrift! We need to limp our way to January scrambling for enough points to still be alive, then the board have to back Roy. No excuses, sod ffp, they need to correct the shambles they have played a massive part in.

Mad Raschic Ken
30-09-2017, 06:19 PM
I feel more positive this week than last. The team was short of so many of our better players today, but unlike last week when they collapsed, this week we kept going.

I thought we were pretty good in possession, but the weak links at both ends of the pitch were ruthlessly exposed.

Hennnessey 5
Ward 3
Sakho 6
Delaney 5
Van Aanholt 5
Milivojevic 6
Cabaye 7
Puncheon 5
Townsend 7 MoM
Schlupp 4
Sako 5

McArthur 6
Ladapo 7
Riedewald 7

Wein
30-09-2017, 06:23 PM

Panther
30-09-2017, 06:23 PM
the commentator said something about a palace player being carded, thus suspended for Chelsea but i missed who it was?

No cards according to BBC but the only one who could get suspended would be Puncheon who has already managed four yellows.

exiledeagle
30-09-2017, 06:25 PM
Thought Le Tissier summed us up well . After conceding so early , Palace were never really in game . Had a couple of spells in game but never really looked like scoring . Sako tried hard but he is not a Striker . Need Zaha back asap but he will not score goals to keep us up . Said he felt sorry for Sako and Ladapo having no support up front . Would have been better playing both for last 20 mins at least there would be 2 players in or around the box.

Personally I do not think we have any chance unless we get our best team out , but so many seem prone to niggles ( RLC is a concern ) Even if we managed to be injury free , where are goals coming from ?

Wein
30-09-2017, 06:27 PM
Really?

You cant actually see beyond the results?

Roy has effectively had 2 games he could properly influence
. Man city and utd.. the two most dangerous and in form sides in the league with half of our players missing

**** off
do what Bellend1 you mug

teesdale99
30-09-2017, 06:29 PM
On the coach on the way home.

Hennessy - 1 - failed to command his book and just stood flat footed for their second and third, awful keeper.

Ward - 0 - at fault for the 1st and 4th. Couldn't pass for love nor money, sakho constantly dragged out of position to cover him

Sakho - 6 - did ok in a poor defence

Damo - 5 - ok, less productive then sakho

PVA - 4 - ball watching at times, although not helped by schlupp

Luka - 5 - had some positive moments, but also gave away the ball a lot a just struggled to break up play

Cabaye - 7 - gave it everything in a side that didn't really help him

Punch - 4 - just offers nothing at all. Tries, but with little production

Townsend - 7 - have everything, ran out of steam second half

Schlupp - 0 - gave nothing, literally nothing. First half just stood there. Had a great opportunity from a mid clearance by de gea and instead of shooting at an open goal, opted for a woeful cross. Didn't deserve to come out second half

Sako - 6 - tried, not a striker. Won nothing from Smalling and Jones. Got dragged out of position trying to get the ball. Put in effort

Subs

McArthur - didn't do much

Jairo - could use of the ball, clearly low on confidence

Ladapo - good on the lad. Should have been given longer. One every header, more than sako achieved. He may not be a top player, but he is a young lad who appreciates the opportunity and just wants to play. Deserves more chances

Here is the thing. We lost 4-0 away to United, I believe a few have this season. We lost 5-0 to city, that happens no matter who our manager is and they tonked Watford away the week before 6-0. Despite he lost cause, the players didn't just throw in the towel, I think hodgson will get fight from the team. The problem is the lack of quality. Most of these players just aren't good enough. We have three left backs at the club, none of which are that good at defending. Injury prone centre backs. Tomkins is our second best CB after sakho, but can't stay fit. Just one striker who is injured. The quality players we do have, Wilf is injured and RLC seems to struggle to stay fit. Cabaye and Townsend and carrying he team and on their own it isn't enough. But madness is, we are not dead and buried. Get Chelsea out the way and of players are back, it's game on. A despite 7 losses and no goals, we somehow are only 5 adrift! We need to limp our way to January scrambling for enough points to still be alive, then the board have to back Roy. No excuses, sod ffp, they need to correct the shambles they have played a massive part in.
Agree - there is hope if we can somehow get our best team fit

Mad Raschic Ken
30-09-2017, 06:29 PM
No cards according to BBC but the only one who could get suspended would be Puncheon who has already managed four yellows.

I didn't see anyone get booked today.

cdm61
30-09-2017, 06:31 PM

What a joke three on 1 with a goalkeeper :wallbash:

bigend1
30-09-2017, 06:32 PM
do what Bellend1 you mug

You heard me weiner you mug

jimmy the gent
30-09-2017, 06:36 PM
Our defending is atrocious for all the goals. Ward gets played like a kid for the first and the rest are caught ballwatching. Schlupp looks up, sees Mata, then does nothing!

The second we have 9 players back and nobody picks up the run of Fellaini! Mata is also left totally on his own on 5 yards

The 3rd is a comedy of errors. Ward, Hennessey, Luka and Delaney all do nothing but watch. Not to mention the play leading up the free kick.

For the 4th- where the hell is PVA?

Cabaye was the best of our lot today

A good summary of a shit bunch of footballers.

AJ
30-09-2017, 06:38 PM
It was mentioned that if he git booked he would miss Chelsea and it would be a new record!

Eagle's Nest
30-09-2017, 06:39 PM
It's gone a bit Green Street in here

Pistol Knight
30-09-2017, 06:41 PM
0 points, -17 goal difference

...hell's bells

well this season ppl cant say "our goal difference is worth a point or 2" !!!!!!

aj4england
Had enough of punch and hen, and schlupp and PVA being played the wrong way round . Joel is get close to his last chance . Decent effort from Townsend and Cabaye .

jhc
A very depressing day. Not nearly enough bottle or fight. Utd won far too many of the 50/50 balls.
Not enough leaders or players of character who are prepared to roll up their sleeves when the going gets tough.

Iíve heard the argument that it was Man Utd so we shouldnít expect anything, but these are the games that weíve got to get something out of. The players looked resigned to defeat as soon as that first goal went in. If we hadnít got those results against Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool last season, we would have been relegated. Itís possible with a bit of belief & desire. Once again we had none. We canít just rely on getting results against the bottom clubs. That wonít be good enough.

The players let the fans down again today. I can accept defeat, but not the manner of it. How many can really hold their hand up and say they put in a real shift today? I didnít see any of of them come off that pitch totally exhausted from giving their all. That is the least we should expect, but too many have simply given up:(

Sam Spade
30-09-2017, 06:45 PM

This.^^

aj4england
30-09-2017, 06:45 PM
A very depressing day. Not nearly enough bottle or fight. Utd won far too many of the 50/50 balls.
Not enough leaders or players of character who are prepared to roll up their sleeves when the going gets tough.

Iíve heard the argument that it was Man Utd so we shouldnít expect anything, but these are the games that weíve got to get something out of. The players looked resigned to defeat as soon as that first goal went in. If we hadnít got those results against Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool last season, we would have been relegated. Itís possible with a bit of belief & desire. Once again we had none. We canít just rely on getting results against the bottom clubs. That wonít be good enough.

The players let the fans down again today. I can accept defeat, but not the manner of it. How many can really hold their hand up and say they put in a real shift today? I didnít see any of of them come off that pitch totally exhausted from giving their all. That is the least we should expect, but too many have simply given up:(
Yep PVA , Schulp, punch take a look at yourself. Roy Jairo should have played need more energy in the team

Ryan_the_eagle
30-09-2017, 07:25 PM

Confidence is on the floor. It's hard to watch at the moment and going 1 nil down to utd so early on was a nail in the coffin of any hope they had going into the game. I'm not one to normally come out with a confidence thing to defend the team, but you can see it at the moment.

The team that started today is nowhere near good enough to stay up. Especially from this position. However, you can see the work being done behind the scenes and if we can manage to get our key players fit and keep them in good condition then we may have half a chance.

old git
30-09-2017, 07:28 PM
You heard me weiner you mug

You listening roy?:D

meee
30-09-2017, 07:51 PM
Watched a stream and missed the last 10 minutes. Cabaye and Townsend were ok, Schlupp and Puncheon were a total embarrassment and everyone else was incredibly poor. The game wasn't even a contest. It was utterly hopeless and lifeless all round. We'll be lucky to get to Derby's points total.

jeffers1960
30-09-2017, 07:57 PM

Coming from you Jerry I'm now very concerned... not to say I wasn't before today but reading what you have said doesn't sound good ...It certainly looks like some have thrown the towel in 7 games in , which is crazy ... get the Chelsea game out of the way and they then need to stand up and be counted if we are still zero points after playing Newcastle and West Ham I will also throw the towel in !

meee
30-09-2017, 08:01 PM

Promising signs? I thought it was depressing for 90 minutes. Conceded after 2, never looked like scoring and for most of the game we looked like an overawed league 1 side playing there in the league cup. It was awful.

Brumie Allan
30-09-2017, 08:39 PM
Hen 5
Ward 3
Sakho 4
Delaney 8
Pva 4
Luka 7
Cabaye 7
Puncheon 4
Townsend 6
Schlupp 4
Sako 6

EDIT that'll teach me to Copy n Paste someone who can't spell

Naboo
30-09-2017, 08:47 PM

We can't get results against the bottom clubs!!

Brumie Allan
30-09-2017, 08:55 PM
We can't get results against the bottom clubs!!
We will.

Al From Bromley
30-09-2017, 09:05 PM
Promising signs? I thought it was depressing for 90 minutes. Conceded after 2, never looked like scoring and for most of the game we looked like an overawed league 1 side playing there in the league cup. It was awful.

They are a very good side. Have scored 4 goals against teams six times already this season.

exiledeagle
30-09-2017, 09:08 PM
They are a very good side. Have scored 4 goals against teams six times already this season.

They are a good side but were in 2nd gear with us

PemboExpress
30-09-2017, 09:10 PM
I feel more positive this week than last. The team was short of so many of our better players today, but unlike last week when they collapsed, this week we kept going.

I thought we were pretty good in possession, but the weak links at both ends of the pitch were ruthlessly exposed.

Hennnessey 5
Ward 3
Sakho 6
Delaney 5
Van Aanholt 5
Milivojevic 6
Cabaye 7
Puncheon 5
Townsend 7 MoM
Schlupp 4
Sako 5

McArthur 6
Ladapo 7
Riedewald 7

I like to be positive but United were barely out of 2nd gear today unlike City who were probably in 3rd or 4th at times and egged on by Pep.

I can see we are in some ways more comfortable in possession and passing better than last season but we are conceding far too many soft and easy goals. The kind of soft and easy goals that will spell relegation no matter how much we improve up top (which isn't hard) if we don't improve at the back.

BLUE BOY
30-09-2017, 09:24 PM
Hennessey done Hennessey things
Ward is a liability
PVA another liability.
Sakho played ok, not a ball player though and scares me when he has the ball at his feet.
Delaney, sad state of affairs if he's still starting games for Palace
Luca, done ok, difficult to stop wave after wave of attacks with plenty of runners.
Cabye worked hard for little reward.
Schlupp, just runs fast.
Townsend, worked hard, looks worse because he's in a struggling team.
Puncheon, totally lost it, shame to see.
Sako, looked like a midfielder asked to play as a striker, tried hard but was a big ask.

Apart from that everything's great!

glaziers fan
30-09-2017, 09:30 PM
Yep PVA , Schulp, punch take a look at yourself. Roy Jairo should have played need more energy in the team

thought Jairo Riedewald looked very bright when he came on. McArthur, not so much.

macstar
30-09-2017, 09:34 PM
no bookings. we are too soft

Braders
30-09-2017, 09:41 PM

I agree. We only tend to pick up bookings for "professional" fouls and general petulance/lack of discipline.

None of our players (Sakho aside) have any bottle to smash through a 50/50 from what I can tell. Lemina for Saints the other week went through about three tackles one after the other and came out on top. It was painful viewing.

We really do miss an enforcer type midfielder, Luka is a decent CDM but is incredibly overrated and needs someone next to him doing the same job in order to look effective (Matic for the Lemon and Herbs).

glaziers fan
30-09-2017, 09:53 PM

Agreed.

glaziers fan
30-09-2017, 09:55 PM
By the way, another positive is that corners are now whipped in inswingers. Rather than loopy outswingers. When Benteke and Dann are back we might score from a set-piece!

racehorse-80s
30-09-2017, 10:00 PM
I don't know what to think other than the club has replaced the decent hardworking players that won promotion with expensive dreamers and fakes , Man utd clearly had a day off today but managed to scored 4 and conceded zero .

sunshine lucas
30-09-2017, 10:02 PM
Shearer correct on MOTD... some v poor performance issues highlighted.

Skiddo
30-09-2017, 10:02 PM
By the way, another positive is that corners are now whipped in inswingers. Rather than loopy outswingers. When Benteke and Dann are back we might score from a set-piece!

It's all a bit late now really.

We had 682 corners vs Burnley and all of them were poxy outswingers.

Big Gav
30-09-2017, 10:19 PM

Ok it was against the scum with a weakened team but the players should be brought in tomorrow and be made to watch that again and explain what the **** they thought they were doing :veryangry. Can accept getting beaten but cannot accept players not putting a shift in and who cannot be arsed to put the effort in and just let players run past them and not track runs. Puncheon supposed to be our captain what a joke, he should be leading by example! Fight for the team and the fans or the sooner these players **** off the better

PemboExpress
30-09-2017, 10:24 PM
thought Jairo Riedewald looked very bright when he came on.

Didn't bust a gut to get back to avert the 4th goal. Poor effort.

exiledeagle
30-09-2017, 10:34 PM
Cabaye along with Townsend was decent today but like Puncheon McArthur Schlupp he just cannot tackle - they are all too lightweight . Play one yes but not all of them .

Cally
30-09-2017, 10:50 PM
Ok it was against the scum with a weakened team but the players should be brought in tomorrow and be made to watch that again and explain what the **** they thought they were doing :veryangry. Can accept getting beaten but cannot accept players not putting a shift in and who cannot be arsed to put the effort in and just let players run past them and not track runs. Puncheon supposed to be our captain what a joke, he should be leading by example! Fight for the team and the fans or the sooner these players **** off the better
Several managers have now made/kept Puncheon as captain.

Is it due to perceived strength in his character, or because all the others simply haven't got it in them?

jimmy the gent
30-09-2017, 10:57 PM
Sam (who made him captain) said it was solely down to the fact he is local.

audreytatou
01-10-2017, 12:06 AM
Hope we get to see more of Ladapo and Sako putting in a shift is ok. Cabaye is the grown up and Androstrys .Like Damo's passion,poor old Wardy and Punch:( Jairo is a unit ,can we see more please Woy?...i'm biased of course, but i wish we had Jedi back just to kick that bobble haired **** fellatio in the head..just for one game!

glaziers fan
01-10-2017, 12:16 AM
Riedewald: 11 passes 100% accuracy
Milivojevic: 48 passes 91.7% accuracy (more passes than any other Palace player)

pauldrulez
01-10-2017, 06:58 AM
Van Aanholt is a disgrace, along with half of the team but he deserves singling out for yesterday

McpfcS
01-10-2017, 07:13 AM
Thought Roy and Damo spoke very well after the game. Difficult to disagree with anything they said...'was a decent performance yesterday, the damage to our season was done in first four games and there's plenty of games ahead to put this right.

You can certainly see why SP was keen to keep Damo involved.

Dobbo
01-10-2017, 07:35 AM
"Going forward, the fans will be our major weapon".
Doesn't show a lot of faith in your players then does it Roy ?

djlee
01-10-2017, 07:51 AM
"Going forward, the fans will be our major weapon".
Doesn't show a lot of faith in your players then does it Roy ?
It shouldn't be down to the fans, we always get this message. What about the overpaid underperforming players?

macstar
01-10-2017, 07:58 AM
Van Aanholt is a disgrace, along with half of the team but he deserves singling out for yesterday

Hes not a very good left back.. could see this time and time again at Sunderland .

Yoda
01-10-2017, 08:31 AM
Didn't bust a gut to get back to avert the 4th goal. Poor effort.

I noticed that too.

He was the nearest player and yet he pointed at the Manchester player running as if it was someone elseís responsibility to do something about it.

He was fresh and the nearest, so should have done his best to mark the guy...take responsibility himself in that moment, and argue later whether it should have been someone else.

ct_
01-10-2017, 08:36 AM
I was moderately encouraged (from watching full game live on TV). Players looked like they knew what was expected of them and never gave up, but really hard to judge with so many players missing and against such a strong team.

(1) Did well enough, should be in the team going forward: Sakho, Milivojevic, Cabaye (MotM), Townsend, Riedewald

(2) Put in the effort and did what was asked of them: Delaney, Sako, Ladapo

(3) Not impressed: Van Aanholt, Ward, Schlupp, McArthur

I don't want to join in the criticism of the remaining two players - I actually thought Puncheon performed better than he has done recently, and Hennessey made a few decent saves.

If we can add Zaha, RLC, TFM and and either Dann or Tomkins to the team, even with Ladapo or Sako up front for the next few weeks, I think we should be OK.

And I think there's a reasonable chance that Hodgson and his team can improve some of the other players (PvA, JP) and maybe Souare will be back soon.

Finally, I got bored with all the stats from the commentator on the international TV coverage.

exiledeagle
01-10-2017, 08:46 AM
Finally, I got bored with all the stats from the commentator on the international TV coverage.

An interesting one was that Sako has started only once in our last 46 Premier League matches ?

Kai
01-10-2017, 08:57 AM
Shearer's comments on our players not dating to go in the box is spot on. Several times we had the ball 30-25 yards out and no one moved. No one. They all stood and watched and did not want to create. A few times Sako had the ball wide looking to cross it and there was no one in there. It's beyond poor.

The last ten minutes we tried hard to score but no one made the runs needed or managed to pass the ball correctly. The decision making or football IQ of some of our players is at League Two level

philsick
01-10-2017, 09:02 AM
All the noises from the manager ,players etc have been that we didn't stand a chance in these games and we'd get something when they're over. Well the thrashings we're getting mirror that attitude and thank **** we didn't go into the chelsea arsenal and liverpool games last year with the same atttitude or we'd be in the championship right now.

The sacking of fdb was wrong and not getting a hungry manager/coach to replace him was just as crazy. The players look broken by it all with little or no fight in them.

exiledeagle
01-10-2017, 09:07 AM
No real encouragement for me , we lost 4-0 and Man Utd barely got out of 2nd gear .

Hennessey 5 We should have bought a better keeper
Ward 4 Always liked him but he struggles now
Van Aanholt 3 Poor defending and doesn't appear to bust a gut for team
Sahko 5 Struggling after so long out
Delaney 5 Was ok but should not be playing
Puncheon 4 As with Ward , always liked him but offers little
Milivojevic 5 Not as good as last season but he has no one else in midfield with any physical attributes
Cabaye 6 Worked hard , covered lot of ground but no end result . Our midfield is too lightweight and offers no support offensively .
Townsend 6 Worked his socks off , but lacks any sort of option around him
Schlupp 2 So disappointed with him , ambled about no effort
Sako 5 Closed players down ( Benteke take note ) but he is not a striker

Riedewald 5 Showed bit of promise
Ladapo 4 Has to be given a chance
McArthur 4 As with other midfielders -United were men against boys

NB/ Tomkins Dann missing too many games now . Kelly , Lee , Mutch not good enough. Wickham will take ages to get match fit and prone to injuries .

Really do not see where a goal or a point is coming from . Newcastle and West Ham must be relishing playing us . Zaha will help but after all these years we are still relying on one player . Why oh why didn't we buy a keeper , cover for Wilf and a striker . Didn't want FDB but then we sack him after an impressive performance at Burnley . Yes I need to let this go but it all makes no sense .

SA Eagle
01-10-2017, 09:12 AM
Shearer's comments on our players not dating to go in the box is spot on. Several times we had the ball 30-25 yards out and no one moved. No one. They all stood and watched and did not want to create. A few times Sako had the ball wide looking to cross it and there was no one in there. It's beyond poor

Indeed. It's so simple and should be easy to fix, if the players would only show a bit of intelligence and appreciation of what is happening.

Windsor_Eagle
01-10-2017, 09:14 AM
It does feel like something needs to generate some fire in the bellies. It is encouraging that players seem to be knowing what is asked of them and that they keep trying. I hope, like with Sam last season, that the repetition of focus on the training ground keeps them upbeat and that the tide might start to turn.

However, it does feel as though the players are too nice and accepting. I want to seem some rash tackles going in and players squaring up to opposition players. Moments like that can get the fans to go up a notch or two and spur something to happen.

Too much has been made of the car park talk at Ashton gate, but the turning point (for me anyway) came in the next match against Sheff Wed where we had a penalty given and then rescinded after their wanker of a keeper moaned to the ref.

The noise levels and visceral anger went up a few notches and the players responded.

Owngoal
01-10-2017, 09:29 AM
We really lacked a true captain on the field yesterday to pull us together. Although Sakho seems the obvious candidate he struggled himself, match sharpness still being developed. I voted Cabaye MOM and he probably is the other choice. There were a couple of spells yesterday where we put them under real pressure but they fizzled out because of the reluctance to take a shot

jaspercpfc
01-10-2017, 09:31 AM
are the players training today? I know the International break is approaching but I bloody hope they are.

SA Eagle
01-10-2017, 09:33 AM
Hennessey 5 - conceded 4 and was a contributory factor in at least one of those
Ward 4 - his poor run of form continues
PVA 4 - poor defensively and managed the trick of getting forward without really offering anything in attack
Sakho 5.5 - played well in parts, seemed to tire and become sluggish late on, fitness will hopefully benefit for the last two games
Delaney 5.5 - as expected poor with the ball at his feet, not quite the disaster defensively that many (including me) expected but ultimately was in a defence that conceded 4
Luka 6 - composed on the ball and did some good work defensively but eventually was overrun in midfield
Cabaye 6.5 - probably our best player for what it was worth
Townsend 6 - lots of effort and put in a couple of good corners, needed more quality at times in open play
Puncheon 5 - marginally better than he has been in recent weeks, but still ineffective
Scluup 3 - the fact that I'd forgotten him probably says it all
Sako 5.5 - put effort in and didn't stop trying but lacked quality as a lone frontman and seemed unsure which positions to take up

McArthur - didn't influence the game when he came on
Jairo - seemed assured on the ball when in his limited opportunities to do so
Ladapo - not much time, looked like he knew which positions to take up as a striker but didn't particularly threaten

Hodgson - poor bloke, injuries, paper thin squad with players seemingly shorn of any confidence and form whatsoever; surely it can only get easier now, who's next? Oh the reigning champion, great! At least made the players come over to acknowledge the fans.

bern5161
01-10-2017, 09:48 AM
Hennessy. Solid 3, as usual.
Ward. Any team with Joel in it will concede. Opposition players aren't stupid. They know he is shot. 2
Sakho. Looked frightened to be playing with this defence 5
Delaney. Is damo really all we have? 4
Van Arnholt. Not giving him a rating as like him, I can't be bothered.
Luka. Tried. Overrun. 5
Cabaye. Tireless. Good platform for him to get a move in January 6.
Schlupp. 4. Almost won a penalty. Out of his depth.
Puncheon. 3 Thanks for the memories.
Sako. 4 Jeezus we are in trouble.
Townsend. 4. Don't see the point in a winger who doesn't take on the full back

No coming back this time. We're gone

Jukesy
01-10-2017, 09:50 AM

Surely it should be "we" rather than "they"?

KP'S Nuts
01-10-2017, 10:00 AM
Part of me hopes this is sort of like a scorched earth policy. Just save players act like these games are training games knowing that most lower sides will be beaten against the top teams and save picking up injuries. Trouble is we have been gutless against teams at our own level for the opening ones as well.

Barnstormer
01-10-2017, 10:19 AM
From the highlights couldn't see Wayne was at fault for any of the goals so don't understand the comments.

The defence is terrible Patrick Van Anhoult goes missing. No pace in the centre of defence.

Why did Roy go to Man Utd and not play two defensive midfield players.
We just need a clean sheet. We are getting worse and the defence and Midfield needs some Pulis organization.

Baffled Bob 2
01-10-2017, 11:00 AM
are the players training today? I know the International break is approaching but I bloody hope they are.

That sounds like a recipe for an injury crisis.

Danny boy
01-10-2017, 11:03 AM
Hodgson seems to getting away with that terrible team selection.

How can he select Puncheon when Riedewald would have offered more protection to the defence?

lee_cpfc
01-10-2017, 11:08 AM
FDB was right all along...

strawberry mivi
01-10-2017, 11:25 AM
Has Townsend always been so absolutely totally left-footed?

meee
01-10-2017, 01:43 PM
All the noises from the manager ,players etc have been that we didn't stand a chance in these games and we'd get something when they're over. Well the thrashings we're getting mirror that attitude and thank **** we didn't go into the chelsea arsenal and liverpool games last year with the same atttitude or we'd be in the championship right now.

The sacking of fdb was wrong and not getting a hungry manager/coach to replace him was just as crazy. The players look broken by it all with little or no fight in them.

This is true.The likes of Allardyce and Pardew would never go into a game saying we don't have a chance and it's all about the games that follow.We needed to beat these teams to stay up last year,we needed to beat the likes of Tottenham to finish top 10 under Pardew.I hate this defeatist attitude.If you go in claiming you're going to get hammered,that will be the best case scenario.

meee
01-10-2017, 01:49 PM
Thought Roy and Damo spoke very well after the game. Difficult to disagree with anything they said...'was a decent performance yesterday, the damage to our season was done in first four games and there's plenty of games ahead to put this right.

What was decent about it?We got absolutely walked all over by a team that didn't even play that well.Lukaku had an off day and they still stuck 4 past us with minimal effort.We conceded after 2 minutes and never looked like scoring so from the 3rd minute the game was over.It wasn't a football match,just a procession.Their under 18s would have given them a better game.

Nigelbrag
01-10-2017, 02:50 PM
The difficulty we have is we are shot of confidence and that is reflected in our play, we just don't look capable of scoring along with our reluctance to push players up in attack makes scoring goals as good as impossible. Yesterday summed it up when in a game we knew there was never a chance of winning, then falling behind after 2 minutes made it a lost cause, and when the Second goal went in should have been a signal to show a bit of adventure to get that all important FIRST goal so as to lift spirits, but we just continued to huff and puff in attack and got nowhere.
Come on Roy our next game is at home which we are not expected to win let alone opening our scoring, so why not give it a try and show a little more adventure in the Chelsea game. We need to go into the crucial games that follow with a bit more belief regardless of the Chelsea game which we will be expected to lose so it wont be a surprise, but if we can take forward belief into those games that follow will be far more important.

Brumie Allan
01-10-2017, 02:51 PM
Hodgson - poor bloke, injuries, paper thin squad with players seemingly shorn of any confidence and form whatsoever; surely it can only get easier now, who's next? Oh the reigning champion, great! At least made the players come over to acknowledge the fans.
Like they wouldn't have come over, if he hadn't told them to.

Martin H
01-10-2017, 02:56 PM
The difficulty we have is we are shot of confidence and that is reflected in our play, we just don't look capable of scoring along with our reluctance to push players up in attack makes scoring goals as good as impossible. Yesterday summed it up when in a game we knew there was never a chance of winning, then falling behind after 2 minutes made it a lost cause, and when the Second goal went in should have been a signal to show a bit of adventure to get that all important FIRST goal so as to lift spirits, but we just continued to huff and puff in attack and got nowhere.
Come on Roy our next game is at home which we are not expected to win let alone opening our scoring, so why not give it a try and show a little more adventure in the Chelsea game. We need to go into the crucial games that follow with a bit more belief regardless of the Chelsea game which we will be expected to lose so it wont be a surprise, but if we can take forward belief into those games that follow will be far more important.

Again I want to agree with this and to some extent I thought we did give it a bit of a go after their third but at the same time, if we are losing 4 or 5 goals this way, I dread to think we would do if we pushed further forward too early.

What is certain though is that we do need to break our duck on the scoring front and risking conceding a couple more yesterday wouldn't have been the end of the world. The players looked scared of going into their box. Suspect we need a pen if we are going to score but we have to get in their box for that and who would take it? And if they miss? Just watching Everton and they look pretty clueless.

SA Eagle
01-10-2017, 03:09 PM
Like they wouldn't have come over, if he hadn't told them to.

A few of them were making to skulk off, same at City

Woosie
01-10-2017, 03:12 PM
Fascinated by Townsend's decision to put the ball out for a corner when he could have quite easily put it out for a throw.

Ward was absolutely atrocious

sunshine lucas
01-10-2017, 03:19 PM
Fascinated by Townsend's decision to put the ball out for a corner when he could have quite easily put it out for a throw

Hit it out with his right foot didn't he? Don't think he has any control of his right foot...
Number of times we passed out to players tightly marked, facing towards our goal...

ct_
01-10-2017, 03:31 PM
An interesting one was that Sako has started only once in our last 46 Premier League matches ?

Yes, I suppose so!!

ct_
01-10-2017, 03:34 PM
Fascinated by Townsend's decision to put the ball out for a corner when he could have quite easily put it out for a throw.

I thought that he was putting it back for one of our defenders but pick it up, but there was no communication.

Martin H
01-10-2017, 03:41 PM
I thought that he was putting it back for one of our defenders but pick it up, but there was no communication.

I thought that. He didn't want the ball in the first place but someone pushed it to him (Luka or Joel ?) and he had no 'out' other pushing it back to Joel to clear. I assumed he thought Joel would run wide to do that but he stopped instead and Andros ball just rolled out. TBH he was stitched and best he could do was give away a throw. But not seen it again yet.

Al From Bromley
01-10-2017, 05:37 PM
Surely it should be "we" rather than "they"?

Call me old fashioned, but I tend to refer to Palace as 'they' rather than 'we', as I don't play for them, merely support them.

Nostrils
01-10-2017, 06:04 PM

I assumed at the time that it was a pass, with him expecting the other Palace player (Ward?) to run on to it - a misunderstanding maybe.

Edit - Just seen CT made almost the same post.

jmemour
01-10-2017, 06:56 PM
When I saw the team come in I thought it would be worse than 4-0 to be honest. No excuses for the atrocious results so far, but without Benteke, Zaha, RLC, Tomkins, TFM we were always going to struggle. That's 5 guaranteed starters out.

Stavros 69
01-10-2017, 07:09 PM
I was moderately encouraged (from watching full game live on TV). Players looked like they knew what was expected of them and never gave up, but really hard to judge with so many players missing and against such a strong team.

(1) Did well enough, should be in the team going forward: Sakho, Milivojevic, Cabaye (MotM), Townsend, Riedewald

(2) Put in the effort and did what was asked of them: Delaney, Sako, Ladapo

(3) Not impressed: Van Aanholt, Ward, Schlupp, McArthur

I don't want to join in the criticism of the remaining two players - I actually thought Puncheon performed better than he has done recently, and Hennessey made a few decent saves.

If we can add Zaha, RLC, TFM and and either Dann or Tomkins to the team, even with Ladapo or Sako up front for the next few weeks, I think we should be OK.

And I think there's a reasonable chance that Hodgson and his team can improve some of the other players (PvA, JP) and maybe Souare will be back soon.

Saves me writing.
I didn't think we were as bad as people have made out.
Didn't think Jeff was that bad either, not great but did get forward.
The gap between out midfield and attack was insane, just utterly toothless up to.
Once we get Wilf, RLC and Big Ben with a striker in the window we'll be fine.
My worry is players will give up before xmas and be looking to abandon ship.

PalaceRichard
01-10-2017, 08:18 PM
Having just returned after spending an extra day up North, that match was a very depressing experience. I was shocked how bad we looked yesterday, notwithstanding the many injuries and the opposition.

I have just watched Shearer's comments from last night, and I totally agree with most of them. When we did have the ball near their area, we were scared to drive into the box and nobody dared to actually make a move into the area. The goals showed the extreme lack of quality we have at full back, and at the other end we need another plan for the coming games because Sako is no centre forward (he hardly jumped for a header and doesn't have pace either).

I won't mark out of 10 for this game, but give the MOTM to the one player who showed any quality on the day and the will to drive us forward, Cabaye. Damo did his best and Luka was ok, but apart from that it was embarrassing. We had one 10 minute period where we put some play together, but that ended with another gifted goal to make it 2-0. To go 3-0 so soon after halftime totally killed it, and after that Man U were happy to cruise home, giving us a bit more ball which we couldn't use.

Since the FdB sacking I have always thought that it would be a 30 game season for us effectively, but if anyone thinks that we are going to give Newcastle or West Ham a game in our current mentality, they are extremely optimistic. Roy needs to get into the players heads big time before the Chelsea game, and we need multiple players back from injury. We need a proper striker upfront and if that has to be Ladapo then so be it, and players need to support the front man. We also need to put the effort in to actually mark and follow the opposition as the 1st, 2nd and 4th goals showed yesterday.

It's going to take a huge effort to turn things around and do what's never been done before, and it's almost impossible to believe in it giving the series of events that have led to this.

exiledeagle
01-10-2017, 10:41 PM
Sure it said on motd that Burnley have had same back 4 in 7 out 8 league games this season - they look so organised and committed .

harry_1993
02-10-2017, 08:26 AM
Sako played better at United away than Benteke has all season. Makes a change to see some effort up front.

glaziers fan
02-10-2017, 08:37 AM

Agreed. Solid professional who has never let the club down.

ct_
02-10-2017, 09:05 AM
Saves me writing.
I didn't think we were as bad as people have made out.
Didn't think Jeff was that bad either, not great but did get forward.
The gap between out midfield and attack was insane, just utterly toothless up to.
Once we get Wilf, RLC and Big Ben with a striker in the window we'll be fine.
My worry is players will give up before xmas and be looking to abandon ship.
Yes, I may have been a little unfair to Schluppy. He had his moments, and maybe when we are back to full strength he can be a useful squad player.

Nigelbrag
02-10-2017, 10:04 AM
Having just returned after spending an extra day up North, that match was a very depressing experience. I was shocked how bad we looked yesterday, notwithstanding the many injuries and the opposition.

I have just watched Shearer's comments from last night, and I totally agree with most of them. When we did have the ball near their area, we were scared to drive into the box and nobody dared to actually make a move into the area. The goals showed the extreme lack of quality we have at full back, and at the other end we need another plan for the coming games because Sako is no centre forward (he hardly jumped for a header and doesn't have pace either).

I won't mark out of 10 for this game, but give the MOTM to the one player who showed any quality on the day and the will to drive us forward, Cabaye. Damo did his best and Luka was ok, but apart from that it was embarrassing. We had one 10 minute period where we put some play together, but that ended with another gifted goal to make it 2-0. To go 3-0 so soon after halftime totally killed it, and after that Man U were happy to cruise home, giving us a bit more ball which we couldn't use.

Since the FdB sacking I have always thought that it would be a 30 game season for us effectively, but if anyone thinks that we are going to give Newcastle or West Ham a game in our current mentality, they are extremely optimistic. Roy needs to get into the players heads big time before the Chelsea game, and we need multiple players back from injury. We need a proper striker upfront and if that has to be Ladapo then so be it, and players need to support the front man. We also need to put the effort in to actually mark and follow the opposition as the 1st, 2nd and 4th goals showed yesterday.

It's going to take a huge effort to turn things around and do what's never been done before, and it's almost impossible to believe in it giving the series of events that have led to this.

Very good assessment Richard, that is precisely how i saw it but sadly it was nothing new.
What concerns me is our negative play has constantly lacked true cohesion and fluency in our movements for many a season, when compared to most other premiership clubs including the so called "lesser ones" like Bournemouth etc, we lag behind. Even with the incredible turnover of managers we have had NONE have been able to turn it around, could this be down to the managers we employed and the tactics they employ, or is it the players inability!
As you say Roy needs to instill some positiveness and belief in the players asap starting with the Chelsea game, eventhough we can in reality expect to be beaten it's what follows that we need to concern ourselves about and that is what we need to build towards.

sherstonpalace
02-10-2017, 10:28 AM

Having been to all four of the Manchester matches since late last season - aggregate Manchester 16 Palace 0 - I agree with much of this assessment.

But I think a lot of people are overlooking the fact that we played pretty well up until their second goal, which actually came against the run of play.

Driving back from Manchester, I was also infuriated by Robbie Savage's bizarre suggestion that any XI Palace put out would be hammered. It's ridiculous to disregard the fact that the spine of the team (Dann- RLC - Zaha - Benteke, not to mention TFM) was missing on Saturday.

It's looking bleak, and I personally think that those 90 minutes against Huddersfield may turn out to be the most damaging for many years, for lots of reasons. But let's not throw in the towel just yet.

Hector
02-10-2017, 10:29 AM

summed things up nicely. It's so difficult to believe we can keep turning sh** shows into survival.

Martin H
02-10-2017, 04:09 PM
I have got into what has been a depressing habit of stepping through each of the goals conceded to see what has gone wrong and who didn't do what etc. It's an interesting thing to do but nothing to obsess about because it's a match not a chess board but it helps nevertheless and you do spot things that are less obvious at the time - particularly the secondary issues. The only good thing about the Old Trafford goals is that it gives Roy/Ray so many things to work on they have to know they can improve this defence/team.

One thing it did reinforce for me was that it was even dumber playing Sakho on the right side to play Delaney rather than drop Kelly into the right hand slot than I had thought before and immediately after the match.

Alfonso
02-10-2017, 08:49 PM
My review of the game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pm25y9evV0