PDA

View Full Version : Worst decision of the summer

bolabolabola
30-09-2017, 04:54 PM
Which was the worst decision of the summer?

CPFC 1949
30-09-2017, 04:57 PM
Renewing my season ticket

Gollum
30-09-2017, 04:58 PM
Joint top....
Thinking the club needed to radically change it's style of play
Appointing De Boer
Releasing Campbell and not replacing
Releasing Mandanda and not replacing

Thefunkymonk
30-09-2017, 05:00 PM
All of the above not an option??

Reg_Maudling
30-09-2017, 05:00 PM
I cant understand how parish had always said previously he needed to get a manager with PL experience and then he went for fdb

Tele Caster
30-09-2017, 05:06 PM
This goes back to failing to replace Murray and Gale, then Bolasie. Then giving Hennessey, Speroni, Delaney & Kelly new deals. Then insisting Puncheon be made captain.

CPFC.1990
30-09-2017, 05:08 PM
Not backing FdB.

Parish hires a guy knowing he will need the tools to play 3-5-2 then doesn't give him the support or time to implement it.

Parish has to take full blame for this.

beef
30-09-2017, 05:10 PM
Needs to be multiple choice

H.Bomb
30-09-2017, 05:11 PM
Not backing the manager.

Eagle987
30-09-2017, 05:13 PM
It's got to be only signing sakho. 26 million for one player for one season was f**king stupid

Loughlan torowz
30-09-2017, 05:14 PM
Wrong summer; keeping Pardew summer 2016 remains the biggest mistake. If we had got a solid manager whilst there was still significant money to spend wisely we may have consolidated in this division.

Hector
30-09-2017, 05:14 PM
Appointing De Boer was ludicrous given our squad. I respect SP but from the moment Sam left to now there have been a series of poor decisions which is likely to end in relegation.

Thefunkymonk
30-09-2017, 05:15 PM
Wrong summer; keeping Pardew summer 2016 remains the biggest mistake. If we had got a solid manager whilst there was still significant money to spend wisely we may have consolidated in this division.

Yep

CPFC.1990
30-09-2017, 05:17 PM

People can't keep blaming Pardew because BFS had no problem using a lot of Pard's players

the digger
30-09-2017, 05:17 PM
Letting Sam leave without an apparent notice period and due diligence. It left us horribly exposed and meant our resources were tied up with looking for a manager rather than preparing for the season ahead.

cpfcfan1
30-09-2017, 05:18 PM
Not getting Silva.

the digger
30-09-2017, 05:20 PM
Not getting Silva.

Was already going to Watford before Sam left.

Ralph
30-09-2017, 05:20 PM
Hiring FDB based on not supporting him with funds. To get rid so soon shows a lack of belief in the decision in the first place.

Had Roy had all summer we'd have points on the board by now.

CP-RJW
30-09-2017, 05:27 PM
Was torn between hiring De Boer and not backing him, went for the latter as i think it would've turned out okay if we bought some decent ball playing players.

Benzhiyi
30-09-2017, 05:32 PM
Agree with thefunkymonk. All of the above. Plus not learning anything from, y'know, every other summer transfer window since we got promoted. Amateur.

Big Gav
30-09-2017, 05:33 PM
This goes back to failing to replace Murray and Gale, then Bolasie. Then giving Hennessey, Speroni, Delaney & Kelly new deals. Then insisting Puncheon be made captain.

A combination of all plus the above. Also will add not finding a suitable replacement for Jedinak although he left a while back now. We have bought various players but not many leaders. Jedi, Damo (a few years back) and Murray were all leaders and strong personalities which we are so desperately lacking to get us out of this situation.

danpalace07
30-09-2017, 05:37 PM
easy to say with hindsight but probably not seriously considering Dyche (yes I was one who sniffed my nose at him when rumours of a flashy foreign manager appeared). Would suit our club very well and get these shithouses working in a good system

obviously not getting a striker and a replacement for calamity Wayne are very close behind this

macstar
30-09-2017, 05:38 PM

Remember the season collapsed when Bolasie got injured at stoke... signs were there that he was a HUGE player for us. Then once we sold him we sold our only player who got behind the defence, and was a great outlet for us when we sat back. Teams were sh!t scared of him. We never replaced him.

Selling murray was just stupid. Gayle questionable and Jedi also pathetic.

TheMexicanHorse
30-09-2017, 05:42 PM
Appojtment of De Fraud despite his vile record in the DPL and IPL

CharlieCPFC
30-09-2017, 05:42 PM
Hard to call the worst, but appointing de boer and not backing him was scandalous.

The board had several meetings prior to de boers arrival so would have supposedly spoke extensively exactly what was required to go forwards in terms of taking the club forwards.

Dismissing Silva the way he did on twitter and tweeting about cracking the top 10 declared arrogance the kind that always will bite you on the arse. Silva would have been perfect.

We've replaced what was a squad with good pay parity so a good spirit and element of graft to a squad of selfie takers on silly money very unjustified.

We've crisscrosses philosophies too quickly and have no long term plan.

jimmy the gent
30-09-2017, 05:44 PM
Everything.

bigend1
30-09-2017, 05:47 PM
Not backing the manager.

We are in this position because he backed Franks transfer decision .. should have signed a ******* striker Frank said no to and sacked the ****** earlier

Stellavista
30-09-2017, 05:53 PM
Buying a season ticket?

Wein
30-09-2017, 05:57 PM
Parish bullsing it up again. but i pick not backing FDB.

Ruskin Old Boy
30-09-2017, 05:59 PM
All of the above.

palacemetros
30-09-2017, 06:00 PM
Booking with Ryanair?

palacemetros
30-09-2017, 06:02 PM
People can't keep blaming Pardew because BFS had no problem using a lot of Pard's players

Oh yes he did!

(nearly pantomime season)

SeanPalace84
30-09-2017, 06:04 PM
A mix of FDB and not buying in crucial areas.

JDawg
30-09-2017, 06:07 PM
Oh ye of short memories. We have Bristol City in the next round of the League Cup.

The car park awaits

MFBias
30-09-2017, 06:08 PM
Letting Sam leave without an apparent notice period and due diligence. It left us horribly exposed and meant our resources were tied up with looking for a manager rather than preparing for the season ahead.

Typical moany bollox aimed at Parish. 'Due diligence' people love rolling out that term makes them seem smart.

We didnt let Allardyce leave, he decided he wanted to leave, we couldnt keep him here against his will, it would be detrimental to the club. Parish took months to decide and maybe did too much 'due diliegence' and over thought it, or we just got our third choice who turned out to be a charlatan dud.

the digger
30-09-2017, 06:11 PM
Typical moany bollox aimed at Parish. 'Due diligence' people love rolling out that term makes them seem smart.

We didnt let Allardyce leave, he decided he wanted to leave, we couldnt keep him here against his will, it would be detrimental to the club. Parish took months to decide and maybe did too much 'due diliegence' and over thought it, or we just got our third choice who turned out to be a charlatan dud.

It was aimed at Allardyce, not Parish. People talk about what a great job SA did but, for me, he left it less than half done. At least Pulis guided us through pre-season, getting the players fit and addressing holes in the squad.

SOUTHGATE EAGLE
30-09-2017, 06:14 PM
Not buying a GK, ST or anyone to back Wilf up in terms of creativity.

Everything else is window dressing. Firing FDB did nothing to help us near term because we still lack the above. All firing FDB did was kill any chance we might evolve as a club.

We are the most stupid, regressive club in the Premier League. If we had any brains they'd be in our tails.

Thefunkymonk
30-09-2017, 06:15 PM
Not buying a GK, ST or anyone to back Wilf up in terms of creativity.

Everything else is window dressing. Firing FDB did nothing to help us near term because we still lack the above. All firing FDB did was kill any chance we might evolve as a club.

We are the most stupid, regressive club in the Premier League. If we had any brains they'd be in our tails.

Yep

RazorsEdge
30-09-2017, 06:15 PM
Meh

ElwissAtMemphis
30-09-2017, 06:41 PM
There should have been a major clear the air meeting after Swansea to spell out in no uncertain terms that "losing the dressing room" is not an acceptable excuse for the state of affairs at that point. The order of command should unequivocally have been [1] Parish ... [2] de Boer ... [3] (debatably a couple of trusted members of the coaching staff inbetween) ... BUT ... if a couple of squad members on their way out (as was reported by Neil Ashton et al) like Kelly, Ward and Delaney had their noses put out because a bit of plain speaking hurt their feelings then tough shit. They're paid well enough to suck it up and get on with it.

Not brilliant man management on de Boer's part perhaps but we don't know the full story. If senior players were genuinely in a sulk because de Boer could still display superior ball skills to them on the training ground then they should grow up. I suppose we'll probably never know the full story but if it was mutiny as has been reported then it's shockingly spineless management from the very top.

I doubt whether we'll ever hear from Parish why he performed such a spectacular volte-face but if it was at the behest of a minority of squad members as I suspect then it was inexcusably weak management. You made the decision pal. I respect your right to change your mind but we need a better explanation than what's leaked out so far. If this is all the result of Joel Ward or Martin Kelly having a petulant strop then that on its own is potentially one of the worst decisions in the history of this football club.

(Drunken rant over)

GorBlimey
30-09-2017, 06:44 PM
Booking with Ryanair?

We have a winner!

swissroll
30-09-2017, 06:56 PM
Dyche and da silva turning us down

Danny boy
30-09-2017, 06:59 PM

I assume that was down to lack of funds available? There were rumors that Dyche was unimpressed with the transfer budget.

cpfc4evandeva
30-09-2017, 07:05 PM
Not buying at least one more striker.

We could have Mourinho, Allardyce or Pulis in charge of them now and I doubt we would do any better. I don't necessarily think Hodgson is the best man for the job, but he absolutely has his hands tied behind his back through no fault of his own.

Surely no one really believes that FDB didn't want another striker?

aj4england
30-09-2017, 07:09 PM

Neither did

jimmy the gent
30-09-2017, 07:15 PM
https://i.imgflip.com/1wsx98.jpg

Benzhiyi
30-09-2017, 07:15 PM

Dyche wanted the job.

melteagle
30-09-2017, 07:20 PM
I'm going for 'all of the above' as well

EagleSE24
30-09-2017, 07:21 PM
Combination of things. I can't pick just one. Ending last season scoring in only one of the last five, along with our home record over the past three years should have set alarm bells ringing. It didn't. We picked the wrong manager and dismally failed to strengthen adequately. Signing three defenders and an injury prone midfielder, albeit a very talented one, is madness.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
30-09-2017, 07:29 PM
It's so hard to say which was worse. But at the moment it looks like pretty much every decision the club has made has been bad. A number of them have been awful and a few utterly, bafflingly absurd.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
30-09-2017, 07:44 PM
In terms of the manager decision it is also interesting to see how well Big Sam's suggestion is doing at Sheffield United so far this season. Fantastic job

cdm61
30-09-2017, 08:12 PM
Buying a season ticket?

Buying 2?

Palace Mad
30-09-2017, 08:18 PM
Loads of poor decisions in the summer. Dont moan tho because Parish and the hf says so.

Jim Cannons Moustache
30-09-2017, 08:25 PM
He couldn't have made more shit decisions if he'd tried.
All of the above but the Twitter nonsense he spouts really winds me up.
Quick question, without looking it up who can tell me the name of the Burnley chairman and when he last appeared on Talk sport or last tweeted about crystal palace.

SOUTHGATE EAGLE
30-09-2017, 08:33 PM
Not buying at least one more striker.

We could have Mourinho, Allardyce or Pulis in charge of them now and I doubt we would do any better. I don't necessarily think Hodgson is the best man for the job, but he absolutely has his hands tied behind his back through no fault of his own.

Surely no one really believes that FDB didn't want another striker?

The ones who would rather blame FDB than look at the clusterf*ck of mistakes we as a club have made for three seasons probably do believe FDB, as a manager, really wanted to play with only one fit and proven striker at the club. It's easier to reach for simple answers than ask complex questions.

Penstone Eagle
30-09-2017, 08:37 PM
Agree with thefunkymonk. All of the above. Plus not learning anything from, y'know, every other summer transfer window since we got promoted. Amateur.

Likewise.

But I've chosen the appointment of FdB. Was never going to work.

Penstone Eagle
30-09-2017, 08:42 PM
Quick question, without looking it up who can tell me the name of the Burnley chairman and when he last appeared on Talk sport or last tweeted about crystal palace.

Great point about the Burnley chairman. Quietly gets on with running the club, appointing and supporting a manager that is the right fit for the club.

westsussexeagle
30-09-2017, 08:53 PM
Likewise.

But I've chosen the appointment of FdB. Was never going to work.
No it was never going to work because the requirement was to both 1 rebuild the team through a bottom up approach concentrating on bringing young players through whilst at the same time 2 keeping the Boardroom's investments purring along nicely. Obviously mutually exclusive goals which I admit, in the wonderful days of ecstatic relegation avoidance followed rapidly by crazy Manager replacement mayhem I blindly accepted when it was presented. However just because it is hindsight doesn't make it wrong. My own personal view is that we should have stuck with FdB even if it meant relegation to achieve requirement 1. Unfortunately Parish panicked when requirement 2 was vaguely threatened and we have ended with the worst of all possible outcomes.

swissroll
30-09-2017, 09:01 PM
Dyche wanted the job.

Sadly he didnt

Vendy
30-09-2017, 09:02 PM
All the above for me, the contract renewals are bizarre and smack of personal relationships or decisions based on sentimental reasons (GRASS)

What is it with Palace and Chairmen wanting to be in the public eye? The Burnley question was a good one. I am struggling to name any off the top of my head that seek out the media, and give interviews. (not sure Burnley supporters could name Steve Parish to be fair)

monkey
30-09-2017, 09:23 PM
Only playing 4 friendlies, surely with a new manager trying to change the style of play and formation 8/9 or 10 pre-season games and getting de Boer in earlier would've given us half a chance of being ready for the start of the season, when we quite clearly were not. Getting stuffed at home first day of the season against the team that came up through the play offs killed us and set the tone

bolabolabola
30-09-2017, 09:43 PM
Rapping on the Cote D'Azur?

alanlee11
30-09-2017, 09:43 PM
You dont even need hindsight to know we should have got a striker, that is what is so pathetic.

Maiden Eagle
30-09-2017, 09:48 PM
No it was never going to work because the requirement was to both 1 rebuild the team through a bottom up approach concentrating on bringing young players through whilst at the same time 2 keeping the Boardroom's investments purring along nicely. Obviously mutually exclusive goals which I admit, in the wonderful days of ecstatic relegation avoidance followed rapidly by crazy Manager replacement mayhem I blindly accepted when it was presented. However just because it is hindsight doesn't make it wrong. My own personal view is that we should have stuck with FdB even if it meant relegation to achieve requirement 1. Unfortunately Parish panicked when requirement 2 was vaguely threatened and we have ended with the worst of all possible outcomes.

And the most depressing thing is that when the likely relegation happens, I suspect Roy will quietly walk away and no doubt Greedman will be in pole position to take over:(
Should have persevered with FDB - So what if he upset a few players, who were coming towards the end of their Palace careers.

desperado
30-09-2017, 09:49 PM
All of the above plus

Giving new contracts to Hennessey, Kelly, Speroni and Delaney. All should have left when their contracts were due to expire in June 2017, thanked for their services to the club and replaced with better players

Parish should have cancelled his Twitter account

Stavros 69
30-09-2017, 09:56 PM
Not bringing Nicky Carle back and building a team around him

Kidofwonder
30-09-2017, 10:01 PM

which of the players Sam played were signed by Pardew? Tomkins,Benteke and Townsend?

brighton_eagle
30-09-2017, 10:37 PM
easy to say with hindsight but probably not seriously considering Dyche (yes I was one who sniffed my nose at him when rumours of a flashy foreign manager appeared). Would suit our club very well and get these shithouses working in a good system

We did.

Son of Shacker
30-09-2017, 10:41 PM
Everything!!

JamTheEagle
30-09-2017, 10:45 PM
Needed an all of the above option really. We haven't done a single thing right.

Heppolette
30-09-2017, 10:46 PM
De Boer's appointment without a shadow of doubt. Never seen such a shocking debut from a manager. Clearly talked his way into a job that he couldn't do.

Most of the problems re transfers, fitness and confidence have stemmed from there.

GorBlimey
30-09-2017, 10:47 PM
You dont even need hindsight to know we should have got a striker, that is what is so pathetic.

Who should we have bought, how much should we have paid for him and what salary package should we have offered him?

All this crap about us missing out on buying players presupposes they were for sale, we could have afforded them and that they would have been willing to come here.

I still think people regard this as a real-life computer game where everything you want happens when you click a button and our management simply isn't clicking the right button.

brighton_eagle
30-09-2017, 10:51 PM
Who should we have bought, how much should we have paid for him and what salary package should we have offered him?

Anyone from a number of shortlisted targets that our scouting network identified as potential signings. After all, that's what well run clubs do isn't it.

Chobham Eagle
30-09-2017, 10:55 PM

I'm not sure many Burnley fans could name the Palace chairman.

Purepalace
30-09-2017, 10:55 PM

Any of the numerous forwards available and previously highlighted on the transfer thread.

The going rate.

The going rate.

MFBias
30-09-2017, 10:57 PM
It was aimed at Allardyce, not Parish. People talk about what a great job SA did but, for me, he left it less than half done. At least Pulis guided us through pre-season, getting the players fit and addressing holes in the squad.

'Letting Sam leave' doesnt correspond with it being aimed at Allardyce?

A second point is: He left us in the best shape possible, he retained premier league status then instantly moved aside at the first opportunity. We have ****ed it up since then, nothing to do with Allardyce.

steve hail
30-09-2017, 11:01 PM
It is possible to be grateful to Mr Parish for saving the club, to respect him as a person, and yet to believe that we have witnessed in recent times among the most disastrous series of managerial decisions to be taken within a football club for many years.

All of the above.

Most notably for me the vainglorious claims about the quality of the squad, which appear with the benefit of hindsight to be absurd.

I am NOT claiming I would have done any better, but I don't think we could possibly have done any worse.

Still, onwards and (hopefully) upwards.

GorBlimey
30-09-2017, 11:02 PM
Anyone from a number of shortlisted targets that our scouting network identified as potential signings. After all, that's what well run clubs do isn't it.

Who though?

It's a very easy to finger-point without naming the people we missed out on.

Who the f*ck slipped through our fingers?

GorBlimey
30-09-2017, 11:04 PM
Any of the numerous forwards available and previously highlighted on the transfer thread.

The going rate.

The going rate.

Name them, their price, their probable wage demands and likelihood of coming here.

Purepalace
30-09-2017, 11:04 PM
Who though?

It's a very easy to man an finger-point without naming the people we missed out on.

Who the f*ck slipped through our fingers?

Read the transfer thread.

Latvian Eagle
30-09-2017, 11:06 PM

The going rate.

The going rate.

Tony Sanabria

£10m would probably have got him.

Salary probably considerably less than half our squad.

Purepalace
30-09-2017, 11:09 PM
Name them, their price, their probable wage demands and likelihood of coming here.

Not their agent mate but we were linked to many. Sorry that I can't give you the exact specifics of their contracts.

GorBlimey
30-09-2017, 11:13 PM
Not their agent mate but we were linked to many. Sorry that I can't give you the exact specifics of their contracts.

In other words, you haven't got a f*cking clue but it's easier to throw more shit at our chairman and management.

I hope it makes you feel good but I find it utterly depressing.

Zohar's Penalty
30-09-2017, 11:16 PM

Top of my head- Chris Wood, Andre Ward, Brit Asombalonga, Steve Mounie, Cenk Tosun- all would walk into our team- probably even if Benteke was fit. We didn't aggressively pursue a striker, when we only had one fully fit one on the books.

Purepalace
30-09-2017, 11:16 PM
In other words, you haven't got a f*cking clue but it's easier to throw more shit at our chairman and management.

Sad lol :supergrin:

alanlee11
30-09-2017, 11:18 PM

All this crap about us missing out on buying players presupposes they were for sale, we could have afforded them and that they would have been willing to come here.

I still think people regard this as a real-life computer game where everything you want happens when you click a button and our management simply isn't clicking the right button.

We have been in the league for five years. Not up to me to answer these questions, we should have the staff and strategy in place to find at least one striker, just ONE striker!!! Doesn't need to be a stroke of genius, just one competent player. They club should have the infrastructure in place to do that. You must see that?

GorBlimey
30-09-2017, 11:18 PM
Tony Sanabria:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonio_Sanabria

Just signed a five year contract in 2016. Why the f*ck do you think Real Betis would sell him to Palace for £10m and why the f*ck would he come?

Really, it's not a computer game.

GorBlimey
30-09-2017, 11:21 PM
We have been in the league for five years. Not up to me to answer these questions, we should have the staff and strategy in place to find at least one striker, just ONE striker!!! Doesn't need to be a stroke of genius, just one competent player. They club should have the infrastructure in place to do that. You must see that?

No, I see people bitching and moaning and saying how shit we are at doing things but the same people wouldn't have a f*cking clue what to do.

It's like a back-seat driver who hasn't passed their driving test.

Zohar's Penalty
30-09-2017, 11:22 PM

I find it utterly depressing that the club is incompetent & unapologeticly so. Zero scouting, no strategy whatsoever despite 5 years of riches. Gaping holes in the squad that everybody can see that we didn't address. That is negligent. We have 2 goalkeepers and two centre forward (one we knew was long term injured) on the books. We had all summer to address that and we didn't. You simply cannot defend that. Can you??

Latvian Eagle
30-09-2017, 11:23 PM
No wonder LoÔc Remy wanted out.

Martin H
30-09-2017, 11:24 PM
My answer to the heading question would be

Reading the BBS .........

It's more depressing than watching Palace and that's not easy lately.

Purepalace
30-09-2017, 11:27 PM
No, I see people bitching and moaning and saying how shit we are at doing things but the same people wouldn't have a f*cking clue what to do.

It's like a back-seat driver who hasn't passed their driving test.

You started your little hissy fit because someone suggested that it didn't need hindsight to see we needed a striker.

Since then you have taken it upon yourself to cuss and curse in defence of Steve Parish and the "management team". Have a word with yourself fella lol.

Latvian Eagle
30-09-2017, 11:28 PM
You started your little hissy fit because someone suggested that it didn't need hindsight to see we needed a striker.

Since then you have taken it upon yourself to cuss and curse in defence of Steve Parish and the "management team". Have a word with yourself fella lol.

Yet slagged SP off himself for ditching Frank de Shitmanager.

Zohar's Penalty
30-09-2017, 11:29 PM
My answer to the heading question would be

Reading the BBS .........

It's more depressing than watching Palace and that's not easy lately.

I agree, but mainly just due to oh-so-superior, holier-than-though, I'm-a-better-fan-than-you, tiresome posts like yours

GorBlimey
30-09-2017, 11:29 PM
Top of my head- Chris Wood, Andre Ward, Brit Asombalonga, Steve Mounie, Cenk Tosun- all would walk into our team- probably even if Benteke was fit. We didn't aggressively pursue a striker, when we only had one fully fit one on the books.

Chris Wood - New Zealand international , Championship player.

Andre Ward - turned down new contract at Burnley, signed for Watford. Why would he have come here?

Brit Asombalonga - never played in PL - we got rid of a few of those.

Etc. etc. etc.

squelchy18
30-09-2017, 11:30 PM

Hasn't stopped any other ******* club though, has it?

GorBlimey
30-09-2017, 11:32 PM

"Cuss and curse" - oo-er!

I'm not the one having a "little hissy fit"

GorBlimey
30-09-2017, 11:34 PM
I find it utterly depressing that the club is incompetent & unapologeticly so. Zero scouting, no strategy whatsoever despite 5 years of riches. Gaping holes in the squad that everybody can see that we didn't address. That is negligent. We have 2 goalkeepers and two centre forward (one we knew was long term injured) on the books. We had all summer to address that and we didn't. You simply cannot defend that. Can you??

Yes because it's Crystal Palace and over the last 50 odd years I've seen us f*ck up countless times.

Zohar's Penalty
30-09-2017, 11:34 PM
Chris Wood - New Zealand international , Championship player.

Andre Ward - turned down new contract at Burnley, signed for Watford. Why would he have come here?

Brit Asombalonga - never played in PL - we got rid of a few of those.

Etc. etc. etc.

Chris Wood- better than what we have, plays for Burnley by the way and scored the winner against us in the Premier League- but we are too good for him are we?

Andre Ward- are you saying we shouldn't try to compete with Watford??! They are bigger than us then are they?

Brit Asombalonga- wait we can only sign players with Prem experience? Would he or would he not be starting for us ahead of Sako??!

Your window of potential players in very small. Are you Steve Parish?!

Purepalace
30-09-2017, 11:35 PM
"Cuss and curse" - oo-er!

I'm not the one having a "little hissy fit"

:D you just did lol

GorBlimey
30-09-2017, 11:36 PM
Hasn't stopped any other ******* club though, has it?

Yeah, I heard we were in for that Lukaku chap but the bastard fancied the wankers over us for some reason.

Braintree Eagle
30-09-2017, 11:36 PM

Agree.

Zohar's Penalty
30-09-2017, 11:38 PM
Yes because it's Crystal Palace and over the last 50 odd years I've seen us f*ck up countless times.

Oh well let's just embrace failure then. Pathetic attitude. Should we not try and be a bit more ambitious? Parish asked Palace fans to raise their expectations. Now he is accusing them of whinging. It's hard to know how to feel.

GorBlimey
30-09-2017, 11:39 PM
Oh well let's just embrace failure then. Pathetic attitude. Should we not try and be a bit more ambitious? Parish asked Palace fans to raise their expectations. Now he is accusing them of whinging. It's hard to know how to feel.

We haven't failed for f*ck's sake.

squelchy18
30-09-2017, 11:39 PM
Yeah, I heard we were in for that Lukaku chap but the bastard fancied the wankers over us for some reason.

Wow. Way to completely ignore the point.

GorBlimey
30-09-2017, 11:41 PM
Wow. Way to completely ignore the point.

What is the point you're trying to make?

justjuice
30-09-2017, 11:44 PM

7 games without a goal is a failure for a football team.

Zohar's Penalty
30-09-2017, 11:48 PM

You are playing your violin on the sinking titanic my friend.

We are bottom of the league, with a -17 goal difference after 7 games. We have not scored a goal. Not one. We have the Champions next. We have no centre forward fit for the next 4-6 weeks. We have only two goalkeepers, and our first choice is poor. Today we had to start a 35 year old at centre back well past his best. Our best players are loan players who will likely be recalled by their parent clubs to prevent mental scarring such is the shambles of a team they are playing in. This is failure. We are in the very process of failure.

GorBlimey
30-09-2017, 11:48 PM
7 games without a goal is a failure for a football team.

38 games without a goal is failure.

7 games without a goal is a blip.

GorBlimey
30-09-2017, 11:49 PM
You are playing your violin on the sinking titanic my friend.

We are bottom of the league, with a -17 goal difference after 7 games. We have not scored a goal. Not one. We have the Champions next. We have no centre forward fit for the next 4-6 weeks. We have only two goalkeepers, and our first choice is poor. Today we had to start a 35 year old at centre back well past his best. Our best players are loan players who will likely be recalled by their parent clubs to prevent mental scarring such is the shambles of a team they are playing in. This is failure. We are in the very process of failure.

We have 31 games to go - let's talk about failure in May.

Purepalace
30-09-2017, 11:50 PM

I admire your obstinance but have you ever admitted you might be wrong?

GorBlimey
30-09-2017, 11:51 PM
I admire your obstinance but have you ever admitted you might be wrong?

No because there is always a 50% chance that I'm right.

Purepalace
30-09-2017, 11:52 PM

:D

Zohar's Penalty
30-09-2017, 11:53 PM
We have 31 games to go - let's talk about failure in May.

More like March but sure.

Then, as well as the failings I mentioned, we can also talk about;

- the failure to improve the ground
- the failure to provide the academy with facilities beyond GOALS

justjuice
30-09-2017, 11:53 PM

If you can find a bookie offering those odds please let me know.

Zohar's Penalty
30-09-2017, 11:55 PM

7 games without a goal is a blip??? For a striker maybe, but for an entire squad?? It's a record! That is far from a blip.

Kosowski
30-09-2017, 11:56 PM

**** me how deluded can you get. This is a car crash heading for relegation.

GorBlimey
01-10-2017, 12:01 AM
More like March but sure.

Then, as well as the failings I mentioned, we can also talk about;

- the failure to improve the ground
- the failure to provide the academy with facilities beyond GOALS

There's stuff going on in the background - we know that but dealing with two councils is tortuous and we're not like Liverpool where we can buy up property around the ground for chickenshit money to demolish it and rebuild the ground.

Even then, Liverpool took over ten years - with significantly more funding than we have.

GorBlimey
01-10-2017, 12:04 AM
**** me how deluded can you get. This is a car crash heading for relegation.

After 7 games?

You're deluded and really negative.

Stop following until next season if you think it's already a foregone conclusion.

Take up something like basket weaving instead.

vitesse
01-10-2017, 12:18 AM
Itís got to be a toss up between releasing Frazier Campbell at the end of his contract without getting another striker in first. Ok he is definitely a championship player and his record is not one of a prolific goal scorer but when he played for Palace he did his best, he didnít stroll around like he was disinterested, he showed passion to wear the shirt.

Appointing FDB. There must have been conversations between SP and FDB about wanting to play a different formation? In reality we all know as fans we donít have the players to play the FDB dream. Why did SP even think it was possible? Our success in the premier league has always been about soaking up pressure, throwing bodies on the line defending and scoring on the counter attack with Wilf and Bolasie storming down the wings.

As was mentioned in one of the podcasts lately, it was a strange timing to sack FDB, knowing the games coming up were against City, United and Chelsea, which were almost certain losses on current form. Why didnít SP at least give him a little bit more time to turn things around and then judging on the results of those 3 games before sacking him? It has put Roy in an almost impossible situation now to win back the fans and a team with zero confidence.

With this start to the season relegation is almost certain. Ok we are only 5 points off of the drop zone but currently have no notable striker for at least 6 weeks.

I am not going to slag off SP anymore because he saved the club along with CPFC2010 but maybe he needs to take a back seat a bit more on footballing decisions. Maybe thatís why he got the lesser spotted Dougie back in?

Our infrastructure is rubbish, Selhurst is well past its sell by date, the training facilities are limited. I hate to say it Brighton are well advanced in both these compared to us. I know there is going to be the nostalgic views about Selhurst but at least 50% or more teams in the Premier League are currently in new stadiums or looking to upgrade.

I know there are a lot of NIMBYs regarding Crystal Palace Park and a new stadium where the current athletic stadium is but it really is the most sensible location for a new ground. Good transport links, potentially good parking, 10 mins drive from Selhurst.

I hope we can turn it around but this has to be the worse position we have been in the Premier League, it makes the Pardew days seem almost pleasant, at least we knew how to score!

Kosowski
01-10-2017, 12:21 AM
After 7 games?

You're deluded and really negative.

Stop following until next season if you think it's already a foregone conclusion.

Take up something like basket weaving instead.

Wake up to reality. It will be a miracle to get over 25 points this season.

passion4palace
01-10-2017, 12:33 AM

A record breaking blip

GorBlimey
01-10-2017, 01:20 AM
Wake up to reality. It will be a miracle to get over 25 points this season.

Need to sign that Jesus bloke in the January window then.

Kosowski
01-10-2017, 01:32 AM
Need to sign that Jesus bloke in the January window then.

He'd probably get injured or Judas Freedman would dob us in for signing him illegally.

cpfc4evandeva
01-10-2017, 01:41 AM

:D

Bipe
01-10-2017, 05:15 AM
I'm not sure many Burnley fans could name the Palace chairman.

I think we need to accept that Steve Parish has a higher profile than most chairmen - partly by choice due to his Twitter ramblings and radio appearances, partly because the media have started to pick at the scab due to his Twitter ramblings and radio appearances.

Working in Leicester, I've had a number of unsolicited comments over the past few weeks along the lines of 'your chairman's a bit of a twat isn't he?' and the unanswerable 'why do Palace always attract publicity hungry chairmen who talk bollocks?'.

In my view Parish has done some incredibly good and important work for the club but things have gone sour for a number of reasons. And now he is paying the price for the high profile he enjoyed during the relatively good times.

I think the underlying point remains that you would struggle to name more than a couple of the other premier league chairmen without resorting to Google. Most of them seem perfectly happy to go about their business behind closed doors.

Bipe
01-10-2017, 05:18 AM
Sorry, I would just add that it doesn't help my perception of him that he was so happy to wade into the Brexit debate - regardless of your political views or your position on EU membership it struck me as a crass thing for a football club chairman to get involved in. The sort of thing you would expect from the mob at West Ham (who ironically are probably pro-EU given their historic strong links with certain Dutch and German industries)

Pistol Knight
01-10-2017, 06:14 AM
Only just seen this thread

ALL OF THE ABOVE

Maiden Eagle
01-10-2017, 07:20 AM

Lol !!

This is the worst start ANY team could had made.

No pts, no goals, no striker, 2 goalkeepers (the main one of which is terrible), one Manager already sacked, the new one doing arguably worse, best player injured, Dougie ******* Greedman back at the Club.

The last view is a personal one, but everything else mentioned are facts.

Stop calling out people for basically stating the bleeding obvious.

Things are absolutely desperate at the Club ATM. Only a fool would think otherwise.

CoDownEagle
01-10-2017, 07:23 AM
Itís got to be spunkin all of our limited resources on yet another piggin centre back when we had 6 already. He wonít keep us up on his own.

Jim Cannons Moustache
01-10-2017, 09:21 AM
I think we need to accept that Steve Parish has a higher profile than most chairmen - partly by choice due to his Twitter ramblings and radio appearances, partly because the media have started to pick at the scab due to his Twitter ramblings and radio appearances.

Working in Leicester, I've had a number of unsolicited comments over the past few weeks along the lines of 'your chairman's a bit of a twat isn't he?' and the unanswerable 'why do Palace always attract publicity hungry chairmen who talk bollocks?'.

In my view Parish has done some incredibly good and important work for the club but things have gone sour for a number of reasons. And now he is paying the price for the high profile he enjoyed during the relatively good times.

I think the underlying point remains that you would struggle to name more than a couple of the other premier league chairmen without resorting to Google. Most of them seem perfectly happy to go about their business behind closed doors.

Indeed. I had a Plymouth fan say to me last week "I read Parish say you should be careful what you wish for" because he'd read a massive article in the paper.
If Plymouth fans know who he is then I'm sure Burnley fans and every other premier league club's fans know who he is too.

Yes the media have picked away at the scab of late but most other clubs chairman seen to understand the basic rule:
If one spouts out enough drivel in the media one will end up looking like a cock.
Or maybe if one spouts out drivel in the media it's because one is a cock.

Zohar's Penalty
01-10-2017, 09:39 AM
Sorry, I would just add that it doesn't help my perception of him that he was so happy to wade into the Brexit debate - regardless of your political views or your position on EU membership it struck me as a crass thing for a football club chairman to get involved in. The sort of thing you would expect from the mob at West Ham (who ironically are probably pro-EU given their historic strong links with certain Dutch and German industries)

Is there a secret game to try to bring Brexit into every thread on the BBS :confused:

Nigelbrag
01-10-2017, 10:40 AM
It asks "Worst decision of the summer"?
My answer to that would be, has there been ANY worthwhile decision made in this shambolic period. Management(Parish in particular) should hold their heads in shame as to how they have conducted business to date, having read that Steve Parish is paid 680k per year as a salary for his working role which then beggars the competence issue, also i ask would he put up with an employee's incompetence if paid a salary of that level and failing to deliver? We all know the answer to that.
This has been a slow decline that was clear to see happening for quite sometime now, yet the powers to be ignored that fact either through incompetence, or into believing this could Not happen as we were too well run as a club when the reality could clearly be seen it was to the contrary, afterall this is our Fifth season in the premiership when we should have been over the teething period and have plans in place as to what pitfalls to expect, but also what direction we should be heading in.
Unfortunately it could well be that we fans will have to bite the bullet and accept the disastrous consequences of relegation this season. But then it is only right that fans to expect an explanation when the dust has settled as to why it happened, when it could have been possibly avoided. Answers are needed.

Pete79
01-10-2017, 11:05 AM
Teams that keep on making mistakes get relegated.

Not hiring a proven manager
Failing to have a clear plan about the manager and the goals for the season
Not backing the manager that is subsequently hired
Failing to add depth to the squad
Failing to sign an a goalkeeper is sufficient quality
Not dropping underperforming players
Failing to move on (even loan) the deadwood

Which means when we get bad luck we can't overcome it or fight back. We're at the mercy of some poor play, bad ref decisions or injuries.

Surprisingly the basis of a very good first 11 and with money to spend in January is still there. We don't look to me like a hopeless team I the long run.

BillyTKid
01-10-2017, 11:08 AM

What about 11 out of the last 12 league games seeing us lose and fail to score? Surely by any standard this is horrendous and indicative that the team isnt as good as a lot think?

Martin H
01-10-2017, 11:10 AM
I agree, but mainly just due to oh-so-superior, holier-than-though, I'm-a-better-fan-than-you, tiresome posts like yours

Get stuffed. I don't think I am a better fan than you, I am not that childish. I am just a fan.

bigGcpfc
01-10-2017, 11:29 AM
What about 11 out of the last 12 league games seeing us lose and fail to score? Surely by any standard this is horrendous and indicative that the team isnt as good as a lot think?

I agree with some still thinking the team is better than it is. I stated a few time last season that if we somehow managed to stay up we would need a proper clear out of the dross . We didn't and here we are.

bigGcpfc
01-10-2017, 11:38 AM

Mind you neither is our management as good as some think it is.

Nigelbrag
01-10-2017, 11:42 AM
7 games without a goal is a blip??? For a striker maybe, but for an entire squad?? It's a record! That is far from a blip.

Quite right, i heard it mentioned this morning we are the ONLY top class team in Europe that has NOT scored a goal.

macstar
01-10-2017, 11:43 AM

we were 3 players away from being a mid table team. (goalkeeper, good CB and a striker) We failed to get 2 of those players therefore we are poor-average. Add some injuries into the pot and the results are there for all to see.

IanH
01-10-2017, 11:44 AM
Which was the worst decision of the summer?

Renewing my season ticket!

davech
01-10-2017, 11:51 AM
Quite right, i heard it mentioned this morning we are the ONLY top class team in Europe that has NOT scored a goal.

No chance v Chelsea either. John Terry has buggered off to the Villa :D

S.P.R.
01-10-2017, 11:55 AM
I can't decide between appointing Frank de Boer or not signing a Striker, I think they are both equally as bad decisions.

I think after the Chelsea game with Zaha, RLC & perhaps Gilardino up top, we may compete and pick up points/wins.

The real problem may be the season is 3 or 4 games too short for us to claw it back now.

Thefunkymonk
01-10-2017, 11:58 AM
I can't decide between appointing Frank de Boer or not signing a Striker, I think they are both equally as bad decisions.

I think after the Chelsea game with Zaha, RLC & perhaps Gilardino up top, we may compete and pick up points/wins.

The real problem may be the season is 3 or 4 games too short for us to claw it back now.

RLC can’t play against chelsea

bigGcpfc
01-10-2017, 12:20 PM
RLC canít play against chelsea

To be fair he did say after the Chelsea game.

jhc
01-10-2017, 12:29 PM
I think what has become obvious is that 2 or 3 long standing players, who have done a good job over the years, are now past their sell by date. January will, by necessity, need to see a complete overhaul of the squad. Not ideal timing, but needs must if we are to survive.

Two very good strikers will have to be brought in as well as a couple of midfielders & another couple of defenders.

Some players who are clearly not up to the fight will have to be shipped out. Fresh blood is badly needed. A lot of preparation will have to be done ahead of the transfer window opening, so that changes are made, not at the end of the month, but on 1st January.

The blame game is futile. We need to address the situation as it is, and unfortunately that means major player investment. Quality is what we need now. Players of character who are up for the challenge. We are lacking pace & strength all over the pitch. We canít pretend the squad is too good to go down. The stats tell all!

Some of our multi million pound purchases have been hugely disappointing. Previous managers have a lot to answer for with some of those buys!

Yes, mistakes were made in the summer (and before) but letís put those right the first opportunity we get, and not one day later!

Lombardo's hair
01-10-2017, 12:39 PM
Not backing FdB.

Parish hires a guy knowing he will need the tools to play 3-5-2 then doesn't give him the support or time to implement it.

Parish has to take full blame for this.

Fully agree. All the crap about FDB being a poor manager playing players out of position blah blah blah is nonsense. The poor players are poor in any positions or formations. FDB knew it SP wanted him to make silk purses out of sow ears.
SP is too loyal to old players

bigGcpfc
01-10-2017, 12:51 PM
I think what has become obvious is that 2 or 3 long standing players, who have done a good job over the years, are now past their sell by date. January will, by necessity, need to see a complete overhaul of the squad. Not ideal timing, but needs must if we are to survive.

Two very good strikers will have to be brought in as well as a couple of midfielders & another couple of defenders.

Some players who are clearly not up to the fight will have to be shipped out. Fresh blood is badly needed. A lot of preparation will have to be done ahead of the transfer window opening, so that changes are made, not at the end of the month, but on 1st January.

The blame game is futile. We need to address the situation as it is, and unfortunately that means major player investment. Quality is what we need now. Players of character who are up for the challenge. We are lacking pace & strength all over the pitch. We canít pretend the squad is too good to go down. The stats tell all!

Some of our multi million pound purchases have been hugely disappointing. Previous managers have a lot to answer for with some of those buys!

Yes, mistakes were made in the summer (and before) but letís put those right the first opportunity we get, and not one day later!

You say 2 Very good strikers should be brought in. Where from ? 1 average one will do. We all know we need better players in all positions but it clearly is not as easy as you may think.

S.P.R.
01-10-2017, 12:53 PM
To be fair he did say after the Chelsea game.

Thanks, our season starts after the Chelsea game, hopefully.

Would be amazed if we get anything from that.

exiledeagle
01-10-2017, 12:59 PM

All true but do you believe we will get 6 players in January ? I agree we need them but we would pay over the odds ( and who will want to lose good players half way through season ) Also if we are so far adrift at bottom , I do not see SP risking it .
Agree with your comments about multi million pound buys being disappointing . Yes Benteke got 15 goals but his overall play and effort is poor . Cabaye may be one of our better players on his day but again was he worth the outlay - not for me . Tomkins , Townsend , Van Aanholt all disappointing .

Harry Bassett
01-10-2017, 01:23 PM
The worst decision of the summer was failure to see that the reason that we struggled last season was because our team was not strong enough. During summer 2016 we failed buy left back cover and a dmf replacement. We paid way over the odds for the January replacements (PVA and JS both need replacing ) and you can only spend the money once.

This summer our loan players have been good signings but they have done nothing to address the obvious weaknesses that still exist in our squad.

bigGcpfc
01-10-2017, 01:23 PM
Thanks, our season starts after the Chelsea game, hopefully.

Would be amazed if we get anything from that.

The main problem is we have RH in charge. I don't think he will be able to change anything. He has looked clueless , burying his head in his hands says a lot about how he is coping. We have not improved 1 iota under his leadership.

bigGcpfc
01-10-2017, 01:27 PM
The worst decision of the summer was failure to see that the reason that we struggled last season was because our team was not strong enough. During summer 2016 we failed buy left back cover and a dmf replacement. We paid way over the odds for the January replacements (PVA and JS both need replacing ) and you can only spend the money once.

This summer our loan players have been good signings but they have done nothing to address the obvious weaknesses that still exist in our squad.

We always seem to buy or loan players made of glass. What the hell is wrong with Wickham ? We seem to have a squad of weaklings.

Johnny Byrne
01-10-2017, 01:31 PM
Not having a good director of football until after 1 Sep!

jhc
01-10-2017, 01:36 PM
You say 2 Very good strikers should be brought in. Where from ? 1 average one will do. We all know we need better players in all positions but it clearly is not as easy as you may think.

Never said it would be easy, thatís why a lot of preparation needs to be done in the next 3 months to identify potential targets, and yes, if we want to stay up, 2 very good strikers!

exiledeagle1
01-10-2017, 01:37 PM
Not appointing a manager ASAP.

bigGcpfc
01-10-2017, 01:41 PM
Never said it would be easy, thatís why a lot of preparation needs to be done in the next 3 months to identify potential targets, and yes, if we want to stay up, 2 very good strikers!

With all due respect can you name 1 good striker available right now and who would want to come to us in January ?

jhc
01-10-2017, 01:50 PM
All true but do you believe we will get 6 players in January ? I agree we need them but we would pay over the odds ( and who will want to lose good players half way through season ) Also if we are so far adrift at bottom , I do not see SP risking it .
Agree with your comments about multi million pound buys being disappointing . Yes Benteke got 15 goals but his overall play and effort is poor . Cabaye may be one of our better players on his day but again was he worth the outlay - not for me . Tomkins , Townsend , Van Aanholt all disappointing .

If we donít Ďrisk ití, we may very well go down. To minimise the risk, adequate player evaluation needs to be done. Extensive scouting needs to be carried out all over Europe to bring in some real quality.

Either we want to stay in the Prem or we donít. Investment in January could secure our status and secure our future. Itís no good being timid. We may well have to cough up, but the damage has been done and we need to rectify the situation pronto!

Relegation, and the club will not only lose millions, but all our best players too. Getting back will not be easy and may well require a lot more investment in the long run. We have to be bold or just give up and accept our fate, which I donít see as a viable option.

jhc
01-10-2017, 02:01 PM
With all due respect can you name 1 good striker available right now and who would want to come to us in January ?

I’m not a professional scout, but there must be players in the European leagues who would jump at the chance. It’s up to Dougie & the team under him to make it happen. Watford, among others, didn’t seem to find it difficult to add half a dozen decent players to their squad and we must be a more attractive proposition than them. Yes, it’ll be more difficult in January, but not impossible.

I refuse to be defeatist. If our scouts are out there watching games every week, it can’t be beyond them to come up with potential targets. A lot of work, but possible.

We’ve also got to find players who can play at a much higher tempo. Too many of ours seem knackered and end up watching play go on around them seemingly unaware of what’s happening off the ball.

dave_who_ru
01-10-2017, 02:30 PM
Well I went for failure to buy a striker and I thought I would look back on our record in this department since promotion. I have not included loan players.

2013/14

Bought Dwight Gayle July 2013 £4,5m sold July 2016 to Newcastle £10m - 64 league appearances 15 goals

Kevin Philips on a free July 2013 (on loan previous season) given free transfer to Leicester January 2014 - 4 appearances no goals (ignoring previous season)

Bought Marouane Chamakh undisclosed August 2013 released June 2016 - 60 appearances 7 goals

2014/15

Bought Fraizer Campbell £900k July 2014 released June 2017 - 43 appearances 5 goals

Andy Johnson free agent September 2014 released January 2015 - no appearances no goals

Shola Ameobi free agent January 2015 released June 2015 - 4 appearances no goals

2015/16

Emmanuel Adebayor free agent January 2016 released June 2016 - 12 appearances 1 goal

Bought Freddie Ladapo March 2016 undisclosed - 1 appearance 0 goals

Bought Connor Wickham August 2015 £9m - 29 appearance 7 goals

2016/17

Bought Christian Benteke August 2016 £27m - 42 appearances 15 goals

Jonathan Benteke free? August 2016 released June 2017- 1 appearance 0 goals

2017/18

A big fat nothing.

The fact that we have only been able to sell one of these players for actual cash says it all.

Jordan's Jacket
01-10-2017, 02:54 PM
FdB was a disaster waitng to happen

sydnsteve
01-10-2017, 05:38 PM
Me renewing my season ticket

sydnsteve
01-10-2017, 05:41 PM

Actually i think Liverpool and Burnley away were our best performances. If Benteke And Dann score as theyshoulddifferent games. Wasn't my choice but for me after the Burnley game he had to be given Soton.

GorBlimey
01-10-2017, 10:11 PM

You are Alan Shearer and I claim my five pounds.

GorBlimey
01-10-2017, 10:13 PM

Nah, it's just a bigger blip.

Hector
02-10-2017, 07:19 AM

It's a team that is going to be relegated. The first thing you need to get out of a hole is heart and desire......Also a striker, when fit, who can be bothered to run.

Expat Eagle
02-10-2017, 10:04 AM
The fact is that out of all those 'worst decisions' the easiest to fix is to get another keeper. Effective strikers are not that easy to come by but because of the unique role the keeper has we should be able to get a proven youngish keeper from anywhere in Europe and the whole team would have more confidence that we wouldn't keep conceding soft goals.

I don't blame WH for every goal we've conceded this season, but I do blame him for many. He simply does not dominate the area at all, is not particularly agile, doesn't impose himself on the opposition strikers and makes too many poor decisions. It's not his fault he gets picked every week or that he has no real cover in the role, so for me replacing him is by far the simplest problem to fix. On January 1st or 2nd, please Steve. Please.
PLEASE.