PDA

View Full Version : Tony Popovic quits Western Sydney to join Turkey's Karabukspor

HRP
01-10-2017, 07:47 AM
Poppvic has left his job to pursue overseas job opportunity

HRP
01-10-2017, 07:48 AM
The NRMA Insurance Western Sydney Wanderers have today parted ways with foundation head coach Tony Popovic.

Following five successful seasons at the Wanderers which included three Hyundai A-League Grand Final appearances, a Premiers Plate and the 2014 AFC Champions League Trophy, Popovic will depart the club to pursue an overseas opportunity in the next step of his coaching career.

Wanderers Chief Executive Officer John Tsatsimas said the legacy Tony Popovic will leave the club cannot be understated.

“Tony has been fundamental to this club’s success and growth since our inception in 2012 and leaves a lasting legacy that this club will use as a platform to continue our rapid growth,” said Tsatsimas.

“He will forever remain a great part of our history, leading us on our course to be globally recognised and respected as a football club.

“While we have always known Tony was destined to have a great future coaching on the global stage, just as he did as a player, we are sure he will look back fondly on his time with the Western Sydney Wanderers with pride in the achievements we have made as a group.”

The club will now expedite its search for a new coach with a number of candidates already identified and a thorough vetting process to take place.

“Our Members can be assured we will be taking the time to consider the right candidates for this role to ensure the work we have done leading into this season is not disrupted and the right manager is appointed to continue our journey in becoming the best sporting organisation in Australia,” continued Tsatsimas.

“We have a robust organisation that can handle anything thrown at us, on and off the field, led from the Board of Directors down to the club, so we will once again exhibit our resilience in the coming weeks.

“While we can’t hide the fact that the timing is not ideal, I can assure our members, our fans and the Australian football community that we will not take a step backwards in our pursuit of the title this season and we will be ready for Round 1 on Sunday.”

Tony Popovic said the five seasons he has spent with the Wanderers hold some of his fondest footballing memories.

“Today is a very difficult day to announce my departure from the Western Sydney Wanderers," said Popovic.

“The timing is not great and you don’t plan these things. It has come up very recently and it is an opportunity to get my foot in the door in Europe.

“To see where the club has grown in five years, I leave with a lot of amazing memories. I’ve got the utmost respect for our Members and fans that have changed the landscape of Australian football

in-exile
01-10-2017, 07:53 AM
We're getting ready for the championship.

Palace Kebab
Learn from Roy with a promise of being next manager? Great if it were, but unlikely I suspect.

adrenalin john
Perfect, 2 years as coach here then he can be our manager

BringbackShipps
01-10-2017, 07:54 AM
Going to manage Karabukspor. Me neither.

in-exile
01-10-2017, 07:56 AM
Breaking news OJ Simpson is released on parole ... Our new Striker?

Ralph
01-10-2017, 08:42 AM
Breaking news OJ Simpson is released on parole ... Our new Striker?

Would rather see him in the gloves!

wavey
01-10-2017, 09:07 AM
Would rather see him in the gloves!

So long as they fit.

mroakley9
01-10-2017, 09:09 AM
Shit thread

Thefunkymonk
01-10-2017, 09:35 AM
To be fair.. when we get relegated would be a wise long term appointment

beef
01-10-2017, 10:01 AM
Why would Popovic would be a good manager for Palace?

Thefunkymonk
01-10-2017, 10:07 AM

Why not? (In championship)

GrayP41ace
01-10-2017, 10:08 AM

Just wanting the job makes you good enough after the last 2 years :D

HRP
01-10-2017, 10:10 AM

Ex palace init

mroakley9
01-10-2017, 10:14 AM

Because his name is Tony P and he's good at walking out on his club days before the season starts

TouchyAndalou
01-10-2017, 10:21 AM
He was offered the Norwich job a few years ago in the Championship. I'd like him to be groomed under Roy, but won't happen.

CharlieCPFC
01-10-2017, 10:31 AM
I haven't been keeping track of his progress at WSW, but by all accounts he was very thought of at Palace in solidifying the defence. He was offered the Norwich job so must have something about him. I don't like the Palace old boys club but as I said he does have something about him.

Robson
01-10-2017, 10:31 AM
We're getting the 2012 dream team back together, but it'll be Popovic as manager and Dougie as DoF. Might work in the Championship.

HRP
01-10-2017, 10:33 AM
We're getting the 2012 dream team back together, but it'll be Popovic as manager and Dougie as DoF. Might work in the Championship.

We just need to find someone to score 30 goals

ForzaPalace
01-10-2017, 10:34 AM
Ruled out coming back here ages ago as Parish meddles too much

HRP
01-10-2017, 10:34 AM

Who knew :supergrin:

Leopald Stotch
01-10-2017, 12:06 PM
He was offered the Norwich job a few years ago in the Championship. I'd like him to be groomed under Roy, but won't happen.

Nonce!:supergrin:

TouchyAndalou
01-10-2017, 12:15 PM
Nonce!:supergrin:

Ha, I knew that was coming. Just a poor choice of words on my part. What I should have said is "I'd like Roy and him, two consenting adults, to share a bottle of wine, put on some sexy music and then get down to business in front of Chris Grierson's ever seeing camera". Better?

Worksop Palace
01-10-2017, 12:18 PM

Jeez. Isn't tht blindingly obvious ?

He used to play for us. What other reason do you want ? :rolleyes:

richdeniro
01-10-2017, 12:20 PM
The obsession with former players continues.

Why can't we just look for the best person for the job rather than continue with this failed policy of insisting anyone employed at the club has a Palace connection?

macstar
01-10-2017, 12:21 PM

Why can't we just look for the best person for the job rather than continue with this failed policy of insisting anyone employed at the club has a Palace connection?

exactly. Both Pulis and Big Sam had no allegiance with palace and have been our two most successful managers in our current PL stint.

Odd nostalgia from palace fans.

TouchyAndalou
01-10-2017, 12:23 PM
Bring in Popovic, bring back Jedinak, sign Mooy in January and find out where Anthony Danze is hiding, sign him up and build the team around him. Job sorted.

Thefunkymonk
01-10-2017, 12:26 PM

To be fair as ex players as potential managers go he would be a good appointment... in the championship.

Tim
01-10-2017, 12:44 PM
We just need to find someone to score 30 goals

Get Murray & Gayle back. They’ll get 20 plus each in the Championship & both ex Palace..

Martin H
01-10-2017, 02:00 PM
Says on wiki he is now to coach in Turkey?

mroakley9
01-10-2017, 02:05 PM
Says on wiki he is now to coach in Turkey?

That's correct

Shipp Ahoy!
01-10-2017, 02:13 PM

:D

Lovw it, talk about putting two and twi together to get ten!

Martin H
01-10-2017, 02:26 PM

Agree 100%. Would be more but that's just silly :)

alanlee11
01-10-2017, 07:11 PM
yay more ex players

New LP
01-10-2017, 08:01 PM
yay more ex players

Nothing like learning from your mistakes is there?

SA Eagle
01-10-2017, 08:07 PM

When was this?

Daniel_Nash
02-10-2017, 03:19 AM
Him leaving is a bit of a shock. He was WSW's first coach, won the Asian Champions League and kept the team competitive despite the salary cap issues forcing teams to refresh almost their entire squad year after year.

Karabukspor haven't started very well. A-League starts in less than a week and he's quit to battle relegation in Turkey. I guess they are paying a lot more than WSW!

Ralph
02-10-2017, 05:32 AM
When was this?

Not quite true.

Rumours he was contacted after Warnock left but as a head coach not manager in a new set up that would keep on other coaches and a player recruitment team (assumed to be led by Parish).

He wasn't keen. We got Pardew. Probably all made up.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/football/epl/tony-popovic-unlikely-for-crystal-palace-role-as-alan-pardew-emerges-as-favourite/news-story/0132cb55e6b2801bae3428d9b1785d88?from=public_rss

SA Eagle
02-10-2017, 02:05 PM
Not quite true.

Rumours he was contacted after Warnock left but as a head coach not manager in a new set up that would keep on other coaches and a player recruitment team (assumed to be led by Parish).

He wasn't keen. We got Pardew. Probably all made up.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/football/epl/tony-popovic-unlikely-for-crystal-palace-role-as-alan-pardew-emerges-as-favourite/news-story/0132cb55e6b2801bae3428d9b1785d88?from=public_rss

As they say, who knew :D

Blind_Eagle
02-10-2017, 02:53 PM

Err, he’s not resigned to join us, he’s off to Karabükspor.