PDA

View Full Version : Cost of our squad - £180m?

spt1978
01-10-2017, 11:36 AM
Very bored waiting for Amazon to arrive so I decided to try and figure out how much we have spent on this squad. I have mainly used Sky Sports figures so no doubt they are inflated (sources for other fees quoted) but even if it is overstated by £20m it is an incredible figure. Sure I will get lots of abuse about the accuracy of the figures but its only a rough estimate.

JuliŠn Speroni £0.75m
Wayne Hennessey £3m
Goalkeeper - £3.75m

Joel Ward £0.4m
Patrick van Aanholt £14m (including add-ons)
Jeffrey Schlupp £12.5m
Pape Souare £3.45m (Guardian)
Martin Kelly £1.5m (Daily Mail)
James Tomkins £10m
Scott Dann £1.5m (exlcuding add-ons, which included survival payments)
Mamadou Sakho £26m (The Mirror)
Timothy Fosu-Mensah - Loan
Damien Delaney - Free
JaÔro Riedewald £8m (Independent)
Defenders - £77.35m

Luka Milivojević £13m (Independent)
Yohan Cabaye £10m
Ruben Loftus-Cheek - Loan
James McArthur £7m
Jordon Mutch £5.8m
Jason Puncheon £1.75m
Andros Townsend £13m
Wilfried Zaha £6m (Daily Mail)
Lee Chung-yong £1m (Daily Mail)
Sullay Kaikai - Youth
Bakary Sako - Free
Midfielders - £57.55m

Christian Benteke £32m
Connor Wickham £9.5m (Daily Mirror, including add-ons)
Forwards - 41.5m

TOTAL £180.15m

CP-RJW
01-10-2017, 11:43 AM
Money can't buy you love. Or team spirit. Or effort. Or balls (one thing FDB got right.)

Yoda
01-10-2017, 11:43 AM
It would be interesting to compare this with other Prem clubs.

RedStripe Eagle
01-10-2017, 11:49 AM
Or to actually look at what each of them is worth in terms of sale value

Thefunkymonk
01-10-2017, 11:53 AM
Bursting with talent

JackTheBiscuit
01-10-2017, 11:59 AM
Or to actually look at what each of them is worth in terms of sale value

Exactly. Not one of those has increased in value I'd guess. Townsend maybe because of the market. A shameful legacy of our transfer/recruitment policy

The only player that will have enhanced his value is Wilf.

spt1978
01-10-2017, 12:00 PM
Interesting that we have spent more on defenders than anything else.

Martin H
01-10-2017, 12:49 PM
Exactly. Not one of those has increased in value I'd guess. Townsend maybe because of the market. A shameful legacy of our transfer/recruitment policy

The only player that will have enhanced his value is Wilf.

I would be surprised if Townsend's value has gone up this season. His best game, ironically was at RWB :D :D :D where he looked far more dangerous. Ever since he has flattered to deceive and I don't doubt he has been trying but he has become very ineffective. So if value was based on trying, then maybe, but if it's based on effectiveness and impact then I would say he has dropped in value. I had hoped when Roy arrived he would get a lift in his form but it's not been the case.

So probably needs to go somewhere they will play him as RWB ;-^)

Danny boy
01-10-2017, 01:49 PM
Overpriced squad with underperforming big name players.

If only we had a decent scouting network

CharlieCPFC
01-10-2017, 02:07 PM
Overpriced squad with underperforming big name players.

If only we had a decent scouting network

Been saying this for ages, the latter of course. We must be wrong however and the aforementioned is correct.

beef
01-10-2017, 02:08 PM
Money well spent

jimmy the gent
01-10-2017, 02:08 PM
cost 180m, but in reality two bob.

Martin H
01-10-2017, 02:19 PM
Been saying this for ages, the latter of course. We must be wrong however and the aforementioned is correct.

TBH we might already have one but it's not just the scouting/identification it's the buying decisions in the context of squad management that is key. I.e. The whole thing has to gel.

MENTALLY TOUGH
01-10-2017, 02:21 PM
Jordon Mutch £5.8m

Whoever authorised that needs to be mentioned on the Comedian Thread

beef
01-10-2017, 02:23 PM
Jordon Mutch £5.8m

Whoever authorised that needs to be mentioned on the Comedian Thread

You could get 2.5 Akinbiyis for that!

richdeniro
01-10-2017, 03:08 PM
You look at the 55 odd million we spent on Benteke and Sahko and wonder if maybe the money could have been spent better building a squad of players - like Watford, West Brom, Burnley, etc do.

thefox
01-10-2017, 03:16 PM
Interesting that we have spent more on defenders than anything else.

It depends if you see Reidewald and Schlupp as defenders.

Plus loan and signing on fees.

The Sniper
01-10-2017, 03:29 PM
Sickening amount of money, whether you compare it to other clubs or not. No wonder we've lost our way and the mentality from the stands has gone, it just doesnt suit our DNA. We're no longer cheering for that underdog fighting spirit team but a £180m team that none of us really feel connected to, and who ironically are a LOT worse than our '2 bob championship' squad that got and kept us there.

Go down, rebuild and go back to the (winning) basics and stay with it.

SE5eagle
01-10-2017, 03:42 PM
You look at the 55 odd million we spent on Benteke and Sahko and wonder if maybe the money could have been spent better building a squad of players - like Watford, West Brom, Burnley, etc do.

I mildly disagree with this, I would rather spend on big players who significantly improve the first eleven, than a bunch of squad players a la when we first came up. Obviously it's not going so well at the moment, but class being permanent and form being temporary; it could yet turn out ok this season.

On the flip side though, having a tight-knit squad who fight and die together is what got us up in the first place.

I dunno, just need to f'k over Newcastle on the 21st...

Mr Bo Jangles
01-10-2017, 03:54 PM

Exactly where we have got it so wrong. Bring in players like Benteke, Sakho and Sako on huge wages has caused discontent in the dressing room and destroyed team spirit. We should never have been in for this type of players but built a decent squad that could withstand injuries. Look at the team we had out yesterday and you can see how it has all gone so wrong.

richdeniro
01-10-2017, 04:10 PM
Exactly where we have got it so wrong. Bring in players like Benteke, Sakho and Sako on huge wages has caused discontent in the dressing room and destroyed team spirit. We should never have been in for this type of players but built a decent squad that could withstand injuries. Look at the team we had out yesterday and you can see how it has all gone so wrong.

You look at teams of a similiar standing to us and their squads seem so much more rounded.

Watford signed Gray, Richarlison, Hughes, Chalobah and Zeegalaar for around a combined 40M.

West Brom signed Burke, Rodriguez, Gibbs and couple of others for around 35M.

Stoke picked up Wimmer and Indi for less than 25M.

I can't imagine any of those players are on 100k+ a week wages either.

Clubs like Bournemouth, Burnley, Leicester and even Huddersfield also seem to be so much more savvy in the transfer market and have far more advanced scouting networks whereas we just go for big name established players in most cases with no actual planning involved in the positions we are strengthening or style of football we are working towards.