PDA

View Full Version : Bag Searches at Grounds

CJ PLUM
01-10-2017, 08:03 PM
At yesterday’s game at Manchester United several fans were prevented from taking bags into Old Trafford and some have already posted on the Man Utd travel thread. United set up an initial cordon to screen out bags but many fans were not stopped until they got to the turnstiles.
It seems that they have changed their policy following the Manchester bombing and now will only allow small clutch type bags no bigger than A5 or 8x6x2 inches to be taken in anywhere in the ground. Women of over 70 and young girls were stopped from taking in even handbags. Stewards tried to claim it was a Manchester Police or Council requirement but it was pointed out to that the same bag had been allowed in at Manchester City only the week before. They also claimed that CPFC had been informed but had obviously not passed the information on to supporters.
Supporters had to subsequently leave their bags in a bag-drop in one of the car parks and were told that it could take up to an hour to retrieve the bag after the game. Many who had travel connections left the game 10 minutes early to avoid potential queues. Eventually following numerous complaints some fans were later allowed to take in small bags which were searched and then security tagged. A girl with us emptied all of the contents from her bag into her pockets and rolled up her bag to gain entry. Apparently home supporters were allowed in with purchases in official carrier bags from the Megastore.

A search on google leads initially to the previous away fans guide published in 2014 where small rucksack type bags were previously allowed after searching. However this has been updated and the new restrictions were eventually found in a link from the FAQ section of their website. This google search also led to some press reports about the change and a notification warning issued by West Ham to their fans so clearly some clubs have been notified. So it is always advisable to check that a goggle search provides current information.

https://www.cpfc.co.uk/news/2017/september/preview-manchester-united-v-crystal-palace/

The Palace website above published a preview guide for Old Trafford with a link to the out of date visitor information guide. As they now post out away tickets they clearly had an opportunity to publicise this critical information to all travellers and nothing was mentioned on the website. No one in the club communications department seems to actually verify information or even proof read articles. A typical example of this is the recently published Disabled Access Statement linked from the article below which is full of poor phrasing, grammatical errors, inconsistent formatting and factual errors; even stating that Selhurst Park Stadium is in Whitehorse Road.

https://www.cpfc.co.uk/tickets/disabled-supporters/

Newcastle United has a similar bag restriction policy and currently will only allow bags smaller than an equivalent A4 size. Larger bags may only be allowed at the steward’s discretion. They do not however offer any bag storage facility.

Tottenham Hotspur will allow small bags or rucksacks up to 30x30 cm at Wembley but again no storage facility is available. It is interesting to note that Wembley has to adopt the stricter NFL bag policy for American Football games. This does not allow a host of different bag types including backpacks, bum bags, camera cases or even handbags. Fans can only use clutch bags or airport style clear plastic bags no bigger than 4.5x6.5 inches or an NFL approved clear carrier bag 30x30x15 inches.

Palace Ultra
01-10-2017, 10:11 PM
It was a bit of a nightmare. Had a small rucksack. Got told to take it to the bag drop. At the bag drop at 3.01 they said it was closed as the game had started. Had to plead with them to take it which they eventually and begrudgingly did.

Upper Tier Mig
02-10-2017, 02:33 PM
It was a total unnecessary fiasco. I hope someone from cpfc responds to the helpful post by cj plum. I missed the first 30 minutes of the game because of this bloody pointless bag policy. Was going to complain to the club but quite frankly I have little confidence that a fair and meaningful reply would be forthcoming. I was categorically informed by the head steward that Palace had been informed of the policy. Grrrrr.

HOVE EAGLE
02-10-2017, 02:45 PM
I left after 20 mins of second half as I was worried I would miss my train
This was the reply I got when I emailed them
Thank you for your email.

I am very sorry to hear of your disappointment following your visit to Old Trafford on Saturday.

We do have a strict policy here at Old Trafford, where you are unable to bring bags into the stadium. The only bags that are allowed into the stadium are bags sized 8 x 6 x 2 inches, or slightly larger bags that contain items essential for medical reasons which will be subjected to a full medical search.

You are also allowed to bring in a clear Megastore bag as long as this contains Megastore purchases - these are the only bags that are allowed into Old Trafford. The Club did inform Crystal Palace of these arrangements, so I can only apologise if you were not aware of them before you headed to Manchester this weekend.

For future reference, please visit www.manutd.com/safety to view all our guidelines about our Matchday security policies.

Kind regards,

Tom

Customer Services Advisor

Rubbish reply really .if you buy their merchandise you can get in with a bag ������

Yoda
02-10-2017, 02:54 PM

I am very sorry to hear of your disappointment following your visit to Old Trafford on Saturday.

We do have a strict policy here at Old Trafford, where you are unable to bring bags into the stadium. The only bags that are allowed into the stadium are bags sized 8 x 6 x 2 inches, or slightly larger bags that contain items essential for medical reasons which will be subjected to a full medical search.

You are also allowed to bring in a clear Megastore bag as long as this contains Megastore purchases - these are the only bags that are allowed into Old Trafford. The Club did inform Crystal Palace of these arrangements, so I can only apologise if you were not aware of them before you headed to Manchester this weekend.

For future reference, please visit www.manutd.com/safety to view all our guidelines about our Matchday security policies.

Kind regards,

Tom

Rubbish reply really .if you buy their merchandise you can get in with a bag ������

So, following that logic, if you arrived with a clear Megastore bag but carrying a Palace shirt in it, you wouldn’t be allowed to bring it in.

But if the same bag was used to carry in a Man Utd shirt, that’s OK.

What bollox!

I’m all for security checks, but there’s got to be consistency/logic in its application.

I’ve also read there was no bag store near the away fans, which is v unfair as they are the fans most likely to be unprepared for this new rule.

Trying to close the store at 3 o/c is harsh.

Ooh Betty
02-10-2017, 02:57 PM
It was a total unnecessary fiasco. I hope someone from cpfc responds to the helpful post by cj plum.

I wouldn't hold your breath.

Slimbloke'H'
02-10-2017, 03:01 PM

Kind regards,

Tom

I'm not sure it's rubbish at all, really.

They are perfectly entitled to have whatever bag policy they want (and it's understandable why theirs is so miserly). If they did inform us prior to the game it would seem that any problems lie at our end (Club and fans).

Upper Tier Mig
02-10-2017, 03:10 PM
Here's another piece of wonderful logic. My friend wasn't allowed in with her handbag . What they did allow was for her to empty the hand bag contents into a man u merchandise bag and take that into the ground leaving an empty hand bag behind. Who wants to wander around with a bloody merchandise bag from that club. It was bigger than the emptied hand bag and with its contents, still presented my friend with an opportunity to launch a frenzied attack on the home fans with a mascara stick. Double grrrr.

Owngoal
02-10-2017, 03:13 PM
I'm not sure it's rubbish at all, really.

They are perfectly entitled to have whatever bag policy they want (and it's understandable why theirs is so miserly). If they did inform us prior to the game it would seem that any problems lie at our end (Club and fans).

Totally agree. With the number of fans getting into a stadium of that size it is understandable that they have such security systems in place or they would otherwise have a problem getting people in on time. If there was a bag drop for larger bags it is not their fault people got there after kick off. Getting off the train at Old Trafford straight into the ground it was reassuring that we were all patted down and 'scanned' with an electronic device before being frisked at the turnstiles for the individual blocks. Sadly train back was a shambles because Northern Rail only opened one of the gates so hundreds of us missed the first train as a result of two queues trying to get through one tiny gate - they got the train away on time. Second train the Man U stewards requested that they held the train, which they did.

Better to have tight security than an awful incident and because the Man U brand is so well known it must be a prime target.

Dorking .Eagle
02-10-2017, 03:23 PM
First I heard about it was when we got to the turnstile search cordon. Luckily we had time to go to the bag drop, and to be fair afterwards there was very little queue to get our bags back, mainly because the only people caught out were away fans, and first timers (ie all the far eastern Man Utd fans)

I go to Wembley quite often for the England home games, and have never had a problem bringing in an 'airliner' type shoulder bag (the same sort they sell in the Palace shop).

Man United didn't want to let in even small handbags when we got there, they said 'half A4 size was the limit, so in theory you couldn't bring in a bag big enough to keep their oversize programme dry despite it pissing down with rain all day

Fully understand they are twitchy following the Arena bomb, however they managed fine at Man City the week before, and I never have a problem with a thorough bag search if so desired, so found it very annoying.

CJ PLUM
02-10-2017, 04:41 PM

Kind regards,

Tom

Quote below from an email sent to a friend today by CPFC box office.

Quote:
We here at the box office was completely unaware of the no bag policy and this was not indicated to us by Manchester United in the letter they send to us with our allocation of tickets, if we were made aware of this we would have passed this information on to all supporters who purchased a ticket.

Clearly one of the clubs is telling lies. They both need to sort out the truth and issue a public apology.

Dorking .Eagle
02-10-2017, 04:50 PM
Funny how West Ham and Burton were notified ahead of their visits and managed to advise their fans

Ooh Betty
02-10-2017, 04:50 PM
Clearly one of the clubs is telling lies.

I know who my money is on.

CJ PLUM
02-10-2017, 05:12 PM
"For future reference, please visit www.manutd.com/safety to view all our guidelines about our Matchday security policies"

This is typical of all football club websites not being user friendly and difficult to navigate so only the originator knows where to locate information.

I tried searching their website on Sunday checking all tabs and using obvious key word searches but could not find this page so how would most fans find it. Eventually found a list of prohibited items by checking FAQ.

Also note that the security article is dated 17/4/2014 although it has actually been updated for this season.

IanH
02-10-2017, 05:20 PM
Quote below from an email sent to a friend today by CPFC box office.

Quote:
We here at the box office was completely unaware of the no bag policy and this was not indicated to us by Manchester United in the letter they send to us with our allocation of tickets, if we were made aware of this we would have passed this information on to all supporters who purchased a ticket.

Clearly one of the clubs is telling lies. They both need to sort out the truth and issue a public apology.

Why do they let people send emails who have no command of the English language! [emoji35]. “We ... was completely unaware”

CJ PLUM
02-10-2017, 05:41 PM
Why do they let people send emails who have no command of the English language! [emoji35]. “We ... was completely unaware”

I was going to edit it to save embarrassment but removed the name instead.

I am currently in discussion with the club about some other statements. Frankly a number of these are embarrassing for the number of grammatical and punctuation errors.
We employ 15 people in the communications department yet nothing seems to be proof read before publication.

Bernard Shakey
02-10-2017, 06:43 PM
Well said Chris. We got caught up in all this palarver before the game and, having been denied entry by some jobsworth stewards at the turnstiles, had to march across the car park to the drop off portakabin with our bags.
An utter shambles in the pouring rain. As usual us fans are the last ones to be told of the arrangements.
As an aside as we made our way across in the rain we passed a shirt printing outlet and a United 'fan' approached me asking 'is this where I pay to get my shirt printed? I replied something along the lines of 'it's your f*****g club mate you should know' and walked on. Tossers.
Incidentally we were told the new ruling has come in as a result of the recent bombing. Fair enough, however I'm not aware of any problems last week at City. I got in with my rucksack after a search outside. This is the same one not allowed in this week.

Keith Powell
02-10-2017, 07:11 PM
Just shows what a shambles our club is both on the field and off.

Se9 eagles
02-10-2017, 07:12 PM
I asked one of the stewards running his hands all over me at the Holmesdale whether he was looking for terrorists,hooligans,alcohol or food.Unsuprisingly he didn't have a clue......

ian king
02-10-2017, 08:08 PM
Seems like one rule for one Manchester club and not the other. I had no problem at the Etihad with a small rucksack that I was allowed to take in and some friendly stewards.

Sam Spade
02-10-2017, 08:16 PM
I am currently in discussion with the club about some other statements. Frankly a number of these are embarrassing for the number of grammatical and punctuation errors.

Oh that's it, we're relegated.

adman50
02-10-2017, 09:12 PM
Glad we weren't the only ones who were massively inconvenienced by this. No mention on the tickets or anywhere when I booked the bloody things. Pissing with rain had to walk all the way to the other side of the ground to put a bag in. Completely stupid approach taken by united here could have easily been avoided but I don't doubt palace failed to pass on the message too.

Cpfcbob
02-10-2017, 09:45 PM
Arsenal academy has had a complete redesign makeover toward the end of last season. When you drive in now, the security guards open your boot and do a full security search and scan with a wand. Bizarrely they don't search you or your passengers!

Yoda
02-10-2017, 09:57 PM
Totally agree. With the number of fans getting into a stadium of that size it is understandable that they have such security systems in place or they would otherwise have a problem getting people in on time. If there was a bag drop for larger bags it is not their fault people got there after kick off. Getting off the train at Old Trafford straight into the ground it was reassuring that we were all patted down and 'scanned' with an electronic device before being frisked at the turnstiles for the individual blocks. Sadly train back was a shambles because Northern Rail only opened one of the gates so hundreds of us missed the first train as a result of two queues trying to get through one tiny gate - they got the train away on time. Second train the Man U stewards requested that they held the train, which they did.

Better to have tight security than an awful incident and because the Man U brand is so well known it must be a prime target.

I think you’re missing the point that the posters are making, which is that the restrictions were unusually tight and not communicated to the away fans. If they had been, fans could have planned to either bring in nothing or allow extra time to visit the bag store.

This year I’ve been to numerous football stadia, Wimbledon tennis, West End theatre, Royal Albert Hall etc and whilst most say no large bags, they do allow small bags in (after a search).

big bad John
03-10-2017, 06:50 PM
Why does everyone nowadays feel the need to attend a football match as if they are heading off to climb Mount Everest. I understand women having hand bags but what do men need bags for? What is in them that is a necessity to bring to a game?:confused:

Sam Spade
03-10-2017, 06:59 PM
Why does everyone nowadays feel the need to attend a football match as if they are heading off to climb Mount Everest. I understand women having hand bags but what do men need bags for? What is in them that is a necessity to bring to a game?:confused:

This ^^.

I've been attending league and non league grounds home and abroad for over 50 years and never once needed to take a bag. Loads of times I was with my two sons when they were boys and young men. What exactly do you need for watching 90 minutes of football?

SeanPalace84
03-10-2017, 07:24 PM

I really don't get it either?? Have never gone to a game with a bag in the 33 years I have lived and there is no need with my kids now. I just don't get it.

Se9 eagles
03-10-2017, 07:28 PM

Only thing I've tried to take in was my wife's brolly when it was pissing down.Suprise,surprise it was deemed an offensive weapon and had to leave it outside the ground.When I came out some **** had nicked it!Got soaked and my wife went mental when I got home:veryangry.And we lost......

Sam Spade
03-10-2017, 07:32 PM
Only thing I've tried to take in was my wife's brolly when it was pissing down.Suprise,surprise it was deemed an offensive weapon and had to leave it outside the ground.When I came out some **** had nicked it!Got soaked and my wife went mental when I got home:veryangry.And we lost......

If only you had put it in a bag..

SeanPalace84
03-10-2017, 07:37 PM
And we lost......

Typical Palace...

cjcpfc
03-10-2017, 09:15 PM

To be fair I dont normally but I was travelling up alone and meeting others up there. Im currently studying for my insurance exams so thought I could cram an hour or so revision while on the train.

Yoda
03-10-2017, 10:30 PM
This ^^.

I've been attending league and non league grounds home and abroad for over 50 years and never once needed to take a bag. Loads of times I was with my two sons when they were boys and young men. What exactly do you need for watching 90 minutes of football?

Generally I agree on this, especially for home fans.

But I’ve known people have a tricky situation when they’ve travelled long distance by train to a match and had to go there direct from the station, with no time to leave an overnight bag at their hotel.

I’ve usually travelled by car if going for the weekend, so those bags are left in my boot. But not everyone has that option. The imminent Newcastle game will probably have a few Palace who’ve trained up in the morning and then staying overnight afterwards.

Ofcourse most of us would anticipate that an overnight size bag would need a storage solution. The Man U match caught some out because they were fussy about bags above A5 size.

meee
03-10-2017, 10:45 PM
1. We don't all follow ISIS so I don't really appreciate being treated as if I do

2. The fact that you can take in a bag as long as it is bought from their shop tells you all you need to know about the reasons behind the ridiculous policy

3. As others have said,I've never taken a bag to football

smiler2
03-10-2017, 10:52 PM

Examples that I've experienced
Got off a coach or train in Newcastle with overnight bag an hour or so before kick off
Same in Swansea, Hull blah blah
Met kids in northern outposts at grounds near their university with stuff that needs to be exchanged.
I agree we need to be tolerant of new security measures but at the same time the prices we pay as customers are equal to Theatre, Opera,Concerts and Ballet but we never get the same customer respect or service particilarly whèn you are an away supporter.

mroakley9
03-10-2017, 11:04 PM
Oh that's it, we're relegated.

I'd genuinely appreciate a league policy whereby a club is docked points for grammatical errors in its official communications.

New LP
03-10-2017, 11:43 PM

My friend had one of those really lightweight gym bags on him. Not really of Everest proportions. I think he had a jacket in it, some food and beers for the train. It was a day trip so seems quite reasonable. He was able to put it in his pocket when the steward told him he couldn't take it in.

Slimbloke'H'
03-10-2017, 11:55 PM
I asked one of the stewards running his hands all over me at the Holmesdale whether he was looking for terrorists,hooligans,alcohol or food.Unsuprisingly he didn't have a clue......

Given that we playing up in Manchester, I would suggest he knew exactly what he was looking for...

Slimbloke'H'
04-10-2017, 12:01 AM

This ^^...

I really don't get it either??...

Some of us have medical needs.

I have to take Insulin injectors and blood sugar testing kit with me and it amounts to more stuff than I can reasonably stuff in pockets.

Se9 eagles
04-10-2017, 06:01 AM
Given that we playing up in Manchester, I would suggest he knew exactly what he was looking for...

It was Southampton at home:confused:

Shipsisourking
04-10-2017, 08:36 AM
I take a rucksack to games, mainly because we have a four hour trip to Selhurst and stuffing food drinks flags scarves and anything else for two kids and me into a pocket just doesn’t work. Nether had a problem with bag searches apart from at West Brom last season when they took my youngest sons flag off him.
I couldn’t make Old Trafford the other day, but my colleague has season tickets with the filth and he takes a rucksack with him and wasn’t aware of any issues in the Stretford end on Saturday.

CJ PLUM
18-10-2017, 05:49 PM
Everyone going to Newcastle are reminded that they also have a restriction on bags in the stadium.

They will only allow bags smaller than an equivalent to an A4 size (210 x 297 cm or 8.5 x 11.5 in). Larger bags will only be allowed at the discretion of senior stewards.

They do not have any storage facilities so either leave bags in your car or at left luggage store at the station.

No large amounts of food are allowed to be taken in and bottles and cans are also excluded. There is no clarification on the allowance for soft drinks but I would assume that only sealed 500ml plastic bottles of water are likely to be allowed.

Palace Dan
18-10-2017, 05:56 PM
Bag being left in hotel!

keltic eagle
18-10-2017, 08:44 PM
This ^^.

I leave my house at 530 and arrive home half past midnight. Its nigh on 1000 mile train journey round trip. Do I have to travel bagless?

IanH
19-10-2017, 08:17 AM
I leave my house at 530 and arrive home half past midnight. Its nigh on 1000 mile train journey round trip. Do I have to travel bagless?

Apparently not - two options.

“They do not have any storage facilities so either leave bags in your car or at left luggage store at the station.”

Eaglefoz
19-10-2017, 08:24 AM
I never take my Mother in law to matches so no need for her to be searched.

tomlig
19-10-2017, 08:31 AM
Anyone who takes a bag to Newcastle is asking for trouble

HOVE EAGLE
19-10-2017, 09:01 AM
They should have somewhere to leave the bag
I think it's a way of saving the stewards searching the bags and not being liable if they miss something
Away fans are just a nuisance to clubs
I can see there being arguments tomorrow as of course not everyone reads these boards and the club won't tell them when they bought tickets

little al
19-10-2017, 09:04 AM
The only bag you need is the carrier bag from the offy.

Bubble Wrap
20-10-2017, 10:14 AM
Those going Newcastle, Instead of walking up all the stairs their is a lift. Tell them you have Asthma or a bad back and they let you use it. Funny when you get out of it and see fans covered in sweat and panting as they reach the summit.

CJ PLUM
20-10-2017, 10:25 AM
Apparently due to a dispute between companies there are no current left luggage facilities at Newcastle Station. The only other option are a few small lockers at the Eldon Square Bus Station which is next to Haymarket Metro and about 10 mins walk from the ground.
A locker suitable for a small case should cost £5 for 4 hours.

Only other possibility would be to ask the coach drivers if you could leave the bag on the away coach but this would entirely be at their discretion.

gilesy14
20-10-2017, 10:36 AM
My mate who flew over especially from Syria for the Man Utd game wasn't allowed in with his explosive belt. How dare Man Utd enforce such pathetic rules, protecting everyone within the stadium. They shall be receiving a strongly worded email from me also. Seething.

jimmy the gent
20-10-2017, 01:38 PM
What do people need to take with them to a football game, if you're returning home after the match? I know it's a long journey on the train, maybe a book but that you can fit into a small bag or coat, but that's all i can think of apart from booze and sarnies which you'll have done before getting to the ground.

TheMexicanHorse
20-10-2017, 01:53 PM
Everyone going to Newcastle are reminded that they also have a restriction on bags in the stadium.

They will only allow bags smaller than an equivalent to an A4 size (210 x 297 cm or 8.5 x 11.5 in). Larger bags will only be allowed at the discretion of senior stewards.

They do not have any storage facilities so either leave bags in your car or at left luggage store at the station.

No large amounts of food are allowed to be taken in and bottles and cans are also excluded. There is no clarification on the allowance for soft drinks but I would assume that only sealed 500ml plastic bottles of water are likely to be allowed.

That well known terrorist target of Newcastle.

Clear now the climate of “fear” is being used by EPL clubs (ours included) to increase food and drink sales inside stadia.

bodger
20-10-2017, 02:24 PM
That well known terrorist target of Newcastle.

Clear now the climate of “fear” is being used by EPL clubs (ours included) to increase food and drink sales inside stadia.

Any large gathering is a target. The less bags the quicker you can get into the ground and that give you more time to eat and drink away from the ground.

Yoda
20-10-2017, 02:38 PM
What do people need to take with them to a football game, if you're returning home after the match? I know it's a long journey on the train, maybe a book but that you can fit into a small bag or coat, but that's all i can think of apart from booze and sarnies which you'll have done before getting to the ground.

Those aren’t really the people we’re discussing.

There will be some fans staying overnight. My mates are actually on their way to Newcastle now, but previously they’ve travelled up on Saturday morning by train. They only just had enough time to reach the hotel before the match, but wouldn’t have managed this if the train had been delayed.

For the record, I’ve no problem with reasonable security measures.

charltonhater
20-10-2017, 03:02 PM
Apparently due to a dispute between companies there are no current left luggage facilities at Newcastle Station. The only other option are a few small lockers at the Eldon Square Bus Station which is next to Haymarket Metro and about 10 mins walk from the ground.
A locker suitable for a small case should cost £5 for 4 hours.

Only other possibility would be to ask the coach drivers if you could leave the bag on the away coach but this would entirely be at their discretion.

Was no bag storage at Newcastle station when I arrived this morning. Went to Eldon Bus station, there are lockers (thirty at most) but all were in use. This was 11.30am on a Friday.
Even if 2% of Palace fans plan to use lockers there it won't work.

I normally take a bag to away games. I store my scarf / hat in it so I can drink in the nice pubs by the ground, have a book or two for reading and depending on weather a coat/jumper
Home midweek games I go to Selhurst from work so have my work bag.

I've not really got a problem with bags not being allowed in grounds if as long as adequate storage facilities are provided.
I'll be leaving mine at hotel.

ellioteagle1
20-10-2017, 03:16 PM
There are luggage lockers in the shopping centre used then the year they went down and were cheap.

thereichstuff
20-10-2017, 03:54 PM
Imagine the queues at the Amex with all the manbag searches .

CJ PLUM
20-10-2017, 08:03 PM
My mate who flew over especially from Syria for the Man Utd game wasn't allowed in with his explosive belt. How dare Man Utd enforce such pathetic rules, protecting everyone within the stadium. They shall be receiving a strongly worded email from me also. Seething.

The original complaint was more about the lack of communication to fans by CPFC and Man Utd. not the actual need for searches or restrictions. Nearly all football websites are difficult to navigate in order to find their specific restrictions.

The main reason that Newcastle United restrict bags at St James’ Park is that searching these items causes long delays at the entrances. These queues create possible dangerous congestion in the non-ticketed perimeter areas around the ground. We need to be wary that these security checks are not creating the very scenario we are all trying to avoid. Similar general public access areas have proven to be the most vulnerable as recent terrorist attacks at Manchester, London, Berlin, Brussels, Nice and Paris all took place in similar uncontrolled locations.

meee
20-10-2017, 08:07 PM

He'd probably have got in.They're more bothered about people not buying stuff in the ground.I'm assuming they don't sell suicide belts in the club shop so they're fair game.

Palace Ultra
21-10-2017, 07:37 AM
The original complaint was more about the lack of communication to fans by CPFC and Man Utd. not the actual need for searches or restrictions. Nearly all football websites are difficult to navigate in order to find their specific restrictions.

The main reason that Newcastle United restrict bags at St James’ Park is that searching these items causes long delays at the entrances. These queues create possible dangerous congestion in the non-ticketed perimeter areas around the ground. We need to be wary that these security checks are not creating the very scenario we are all trying to avoid. Similar general public access areas have proven to be the most vulnerable as recent terrorist attacks at Manchester, London, Berlin, Brussels, Nice and Paris all took place in similar uncontrolled locations.

Spot on. Right thing to be doing.
Would be helpful if they could sort out places to leave bags for people who need that service. Would also be helpful to communicate what can or can’t be taken in. Maybe print this on the tickets?

Dorking .Eagle
21-10-2017, 06:09 PM
All bags were allowed in, subject to the usual searches of course.

Decided to go for the 'fill my pockets' alternative, which was going well until I passed a person giving out handfuls and handfuls of pepperami's outside the ground!