PDA

View Full Version : Play Zaha as striker vs Chelsea

glaziers fan
02-10-2017, 10:28 AM
Going to get shot down for this, but I'm still going to make the point. Wilf Zaha is not the perfect striker. He was poor when playing the lone role a few seasons back, but we have improved and he has improved since then.

We are going to be playing on the counter attack anyway, so he won't need to hold it up so much. In any case he is stronger than Sako if the ball is below head height and if it's to feet I think he could hold off most centre backs. And he has the pace to go in behind. And the desire plus skill to go past players and drive into the penalty box. He used to play as a striker in the youth team and his finishing has improved massively since then with more goals last season than ever before. Not saying it's ideal, but he's the best option.

Play Zaha right up front vs Chelsea.

Speron1
02-10-2017, 10:29 AM
"Wilf Zaha probably won’t be back" - Roy

Kai
02-10-2017, 10:31 AM
Rest him. We'll lose anyway.

glaziers fan
02-10-2017, 10:32 AM
"Wilf Zaha probably wonít be back" - Roy

Ahh, "probably" ;)

I'll be amazed if he's not! Unless he's had a setback?

west eagle
02-10-2017, 10:34 AM
roy mentioned he'd be in a training session at the end of last week so may have taken a backward step, to be honest probably not the best game to try and get back upto speed.

sw16girl
02-10-2017, 10:35 AM
Even if he is back after a couple of months out he is likely to be a bit ring rusty and unlikely to play the whole game. also I do not think playing him out of position is going help either us or him.

Apart from that it's a great idea.

glaziers fan
02-10-2017, 10:39 AM
roy mentioned he'd be in a training session at the end of last week so may have taken a backward step, to be honest probably not the best game to try and get back upto speed.

I'd say the opposite. The Chelsea game is a 'free hit' as we are not expected to win. Give him some minutes so he is match fit for the important game vs Newcastle a week later.

Martin H
02-10-2017, 10:41 AM

It wouldn't be my response normally but I do think it's the right thing this time. Making sure Wilf is fit and raring to go for the next match is the most important thing.

If he did play I wouldn't play Wilf right up front on his own but I would play him just behind whoever plays there or as a tucked in winger. I think he can cause the most problems there. If he plays as a wide winger he will find himself defending for 88mins.

sydnsteve
02-10-2017, 10:52 AM
I voted no but because my vote actually was dont risk Wilf in a fixture we won't win. Save him for the next one we won't win

Oli28
02-10-2017, 10:54 AM
If we took that approach going in to the Chelsea away game last season (and/or the Liverpool or Arsenal games) then we'd probably be in the Championship right now.

Hector
02-10-2017, 10:59 AM
Give him the last 15 mins when the game will be over to get a bit of match time ready for Newcastle.

mcmean
02-10-2017, 11:36 AM
Ladapo for me

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
02-10-2017, 11:45 AM
I very much doubt he will start against Chelsea to be honest. Not even sure if he'll play at all yet.

SteveyHawking
02-10-2017, 12:07 PM
If he's fit, yes. He has to be our striker until Benteke is back as he's the only player we have that has any spark about him which might possibly result in us scoring a goal.

glaziers fan
02-10-2017, 12:18 PM
I voted no but because my vote actually was dont risk Wilf in a fixture we won't win. Save him for the next one we won't win

:D

Ooh Betty
02-10-2017, 12:30 PM
He was poor when playing the lone role a few seasons back, but we have improved and he has improved since.

Could you please clarify exactly how we have improved?

CP-RJW
02-10-2017, 12:31 PM
Bring him off the bench in the second half, needs some game time but not too much to risk his injury. That's if he even makes the squad though.

Icy
02-10-2017, 12:34 PM

Yup. Give him a run out for a bit of fitness if he's ready but don't risk starting him.

GrayP41ace
02-10-2017, 12:34 PM
I'd say the opposite. The Chelsea game is a 'free hit' as we are not expected to win. Give him some minutes so he is match fit for the important game vs Newcastle a week later.

The old free hit waffle again.

We haven't won a game yet, these free hits will soon be must win games! Just like they were last year.

richdeniro
02-10-2017, 12:35 PM
The way we play we need our forward player to be comfortable with his back to goal especially when going with one up front.

Think he'd be marked out of the game is we played him in this position.

spt1978
02-10-2017, 12:38 PM
Knew who the thread starter would be :) think you have suggested this previously.

As others have said, why risk him against Chelsea. Also, Id rather play him in his proper position where he is most effective.

Ooh Betty
02-10-2017, 12:39 PM
Going to get shot down for this, but I'm still going to make the point. Wilf Zaha is not the perfect striker. He was poor when playing the lone role a few seasons back, but we have improved and he has improved since then.

We are going to be playing on the counter attack anyway, so he won't need to hold it up so much. In any case he is stronger than Sako if the ball is below head height and if it's to feet I think he could hold off most centre backs. And he has the pace to go in behind. And the desire plus skill to go past players and drive into the penalty box. He used to play as a striker in the youth team and his finishing has improved massively since then with more goals last season than ever before. Not saying it's ideal, but he's the best option.

You are mental.
You have started a 'team for Chelsea' thread with Sako up front.

Selhurst Celtic
02-10-2017, 12:50 PM
That Sideshow Bob lookalike David Luiz will go through Zaha once he's been rinsed by him a couple of times.

bodger
02-10-2017, 01:23 PM
Park the bus and do not have Wilf on it, no striker just defend for our lives.

switchboard
02-10-2017, 01:46 PM
Wouldn't play him at all.

GrayP41ace
02-10-2017, 01:49 PM
The way we play we need our forward player to be comfortable with his back to goal especially when going with one up front.

Think he'd be marked out of the game is we played him in this position.

The way we play we don't need a forward :D

glaziers fan
06-10-2017, 10:54 AM
Back in full training now, so do we put him on the wing or up top vs Chelsea?

Zulu84
06-10-2017, 11:08 AM
Back in full training now, so do we put him on the wing or up top vs Chelsea?

Can we just forfeit the game so as to avoid the inevitable injuries and just pretend our season starts at Newcastle? ;)

jaspercpfc
06-10-2017, 11:16 AM
Wouldn't play him at all.

i'd go with this. Damage limitation against Chels' get Loftus Cheek and Zaha back for Newcastle, and start from scratch.

penguin7
06-10-2017, 11:27 AM
He should play if fit, we cannot afford to not use our best players in any game.

Would be totally wasted up front, marked by 2/3 central defenders. Should play wide and interchange on wings with Townsend.

rambo1
06-10-2017, 11:27 AM
Ladapo for me

For Me also.
Though I'd have Wilf Zaha,on the Bench,to come on in the Latter Stages,after Keeping it Tight in 1st Half.

eagle mart
06-10-2017, 11:36 AM
Got a feeling with no RLC he'll play in the hole. Schlupp left and Townsend right.

That's if he plays.

Wandle_Eagle
06-10-2017, 11:43 AM
if the ball is below head height and if it's to feet I think he could hold off most centre backs.

So he won't be holding off anyone then cos neither of these "if's" will transpire.

glaziers fan
06-10-2017, 11:49 AM
i'd go with this. Damage limitation against Chels' get Loftus Cheek and Zaha back for Newcastle, and start from scratch.

Crazy. We all know Zaha is naturally very fit. If he played up top he wouldn't have to track back so much anyway. He will surely start. Take him off after 45 mins if we are already behind but let's at least give ourselves a chance. We beat Chelsea last season. They have Morata injured. We will probably lose but it is a much easier game than the last 2.

glaziers fan
06-10-2017, 11:53 AM
So he won't be holding off anyone then cos neither of these "if's" will transpire.

Why? Sakho, Tomkins, PVA, TFM, Riedewald, Cabaye, Luka and Townsend are all pretty decent passers to a greater or lesser extent. Balls over the top he could chase as well. Get him running at their back 3 with their wing backs up the field and we can damage them. This game is winnable

glaziers fan
06-10-2017, 11:55 AM
Should play up front with Sako in a 4-4-2 with Jairo left midfield, tucking in and narrow.

Zulu84
06-10-2017, 12:08 PM
Crazy. We all know Zaha is naturally very fit. If he played up top he wouldn't have to track back so much anyway. He will surely start. Take him off after 45 mins if we are already behind but let's at least give ourselves a chance. We beat Chelsea last season. They have Morata injured. We will probably lose but it is a much easier game than the last 2.

I agree with you as long as Zahas knee is absolutely 100% ok. He can't afford to go out there less than that as he is inevitably going to get some tasty challenges put on him by Cahill and Luiz which will test that knee to the maximum.

smileysmith
06-10-2017, 12:13 PM
Have suggested he could be used and to an extent re-trained as a striker for a while now.

However, this game is too soon.

glaziers fan
06-10-2017, 12:16 PM
I agree with you as long as Zahas knee is absolutely 100% ok. He can't afford to go out there less than that as he is inevitably going to get some tasty challenges put on him by Cahill and Luiz which will test that knee to the maximum.

Agreed. But we shouldn't rest him if he is fit. Chelsea is a much easier fixture than Man City or Man Utd away. If he plays he occupies 2 or 3 of theirs, minimum. If that allows us to get a 0-0 draw even if he isn't at his sharpest he has helped us get the point. And will then be match fit for Newcastle.

Maidstoned Eagle
06-10-2017, 12:16 PM
Though I'd have Wilf Zaha,on the Bench,to come on in the Latter Stages

Is that as opposed to the other Wilf we have in the squad?

glaziers fan
06-10-2017, 12:17 PM
Have suggested he could be used and to an extent re-trained as a striker for a while now.

However, this game is too soon.

When needs must.

SE5eagle
06-10-2017, 12:18 PM
Would bring him on for the last 20 mins whatever the score.

Why risk him against shithouses like Luiz?

We need him for the games after.

Green Bin
06-10-2017, 12:28 PM
Park the bus and do not have Wilf on it, no striker just defend for our lives.

You're talking about a team that has conceded 17 goals in 7 games! With a weak RB and two Left Backs equally not convincing this season, and that's before we have to decide which of our CB's should partner Sakho. If we give up on the idea of attacking or scoring a goal then it will be a very long afternoon.

Wilf if fit should play on the wing with the main purpose of winning free kicks.

Our choices of CB and central Midfield should in part be based on making the most of any free kicks. Upfront I want to see two lively young forwards like Lumeka, Kai-kai or Loliko, chasing everything down and hunting together for any scraps...we know Townsend can chase players down and set attacks up, we need pace and urgency with the live ball and strength, positioning and aggression from dead balls

aj4england
07-10-2017, 12:01 AM

Nope playing more as a striker is how he got his injury . It requires upper body strength and because a defender will be close he will get clattered like he did against Huddersfield

glaziers fan
14-10-2017, 06:13 PM
It was only an idea ;)

bigend1
14-10-2017, 06:17 PM
It was only an idea ;)

Didn't play towsned with him though did you! ;)

spotkick
14-10-2017, 06:18 PM
He ran the channels, beat players, tackled back and scored a goal. Think it's safe to day he can play No 9

spotkick
14-10-2017, 06:19 PM

This made me smile...

Zohar's Penalty
14-10-2017, 06:20 PM
It was only an idea ;)

Think he proved a few wrong today. I include myself in that, as I always want him playing out wide. Today he was class down the middle though. As soon as he had that chance early on when he controlled Townsends cross, held off the defender and turned to shoot you could tell he was going to give them a headache. Even more impressive when you consider the guy was nowhere near fully fit either.

glaziers fan
15-10-2017, 01:42 AM
Think he proved a few wrong today. I include myself in that, as I always want him playing out wide. Today he was class down the middle though. As soon as he had that chance early on when he controlled Townsends cross, held off the defender and turned to shoot you could tell he was going to give them a headache. Even more impressive when you consider the guy was nowhere near fully fit either.

But why would anyone now want him on the wing? He's far too good for that. Through the middle, right up front. He is wasted out wide, but can do damage from the centre.

COYP.

glaziers fan
15-10-2017, 01:44 AM

:supergrin:

bubbs11
15-10-2017, 03:03 AM
It wouldn't be my response normally but I do think it's the right thing this time. Making sure Wilf is fit and raring to go for the next match is the most important thing.

If he did play I wouldn't play Wilf right up front on his own but I would play him just behind whoever plays there or as a tucked in winger. I think he can cause the most problems there. If he plays as a wide winger he will find himself defending for 88mins.

Tut, tut, tut. Just wish some Palace fans would be more positive about our chances. :D

the drexciyan
15-10-2017, 05:51 AM
I think we need to play Chelsea as a striker v Chelsea.

If we listed out our goalscorers against them since we came back to the PL, they'd be near the top of the list.

gags
15-10-2017, 06:13 AM
Up front means more time in the box and this offers him protection. At times he drew three / four players in the area and they resisted taking him out else give away a pen.

Other managers have tried it but perhaps the time is now. He can't do it alone though.

costello
15-10-2017, 07:49 AM
The formation was perfect against a three man Chelsea defence because their wing backs are poor defensively and play high up the pitch. Not sure it will work so well against a flat back four. That said, and with no strikers available I suspect weíll stick with it.

glaziers fan
15-10-2017, 04:06 PM
The formation was perfect against a three man Chelsea defence because their wing backs are poor defensively and play high up the pitch. Not sure it will work so well against a flat back four. That said, and with no strikers available I suspect weíll stick with it.

Loftus Cheek will be back, and he can do the hard donkey work driving us from defence to attack, allowing Wilf to pick it up just outside the box, neatly outskill one defender and slide it past the keeper on a consistent basis. Zaha is a Palace Legend already. He's about to become a Palace God. The love for goal scorers is always more palpable. And Wilf is about to become a regular goalscorer.

Lombardo's hair
15-10-2017, 04:30 PM
Often felt he should play down middle as he has so much skill and pace. If I was to be critical.....I think he sometimes delays shooting. The chance after 3 mins is a pointer of this. When he turned he should have just hit it but steadied himself took another touch giving donkey Cahill chance to block him

jaspercpfc
15-10-2017, 04:39 PM
:supergrin:

kudos my friend and suitably repped for the original suggestion :supergrin::supergrin:

Ardent Eagle Forever
15-10-2017, 05:24 PM
Interesting to see from the poll result that two thirds of Palace supporters on these boards haven't got a clue about football;)

Golf Boy
15-10-2017, 05:27 PM
He is easier to subdue and mark out of the game out wide. That was an england centre back he made look like a **** yesterday.

Chillo
15-10-2017, 05:41 PM
Interesting to see from the poll result that two thirds of Palace supporters on these boards haven't got a clue about football;)

Only two thirds?! :moo2:

Robin
15-10-2017, 05:44 PM
Much respect to Chelsea who didnít resort to fouling Wilf every time and were also very Sporting after the game.

glaziers fan
16-10-2017, 11:48 AM
kudos my friend and suitably repped for the original suggestion :supergrin::supergrin:

glad we're mates again! :p

gjohnk
16-10-2017, 11:50 AM
I'm voting yes!

SEEPEEEFFSEE
16-10-2017, 11:53 AM
Much respect to Chelsea who didnít resort to fouling Wilf every time and were also very Sporting after the game.

I donít give Chelsea any respect whatsoever, theyíre scum.

Son of Ron
16-10-2017, 11:57 AM
Much respect to Chelsea who didnít resort to fouling Wilf every time

Couldn't get near enough most of the game

glaziers fan
18-11-2017, 10:57 PM
still banging them in. brilliant poacher's goal today.

hdeagle
18-11-2017, 11:11 PM
Wilf has scored 3 goals in 3 home games since he returned from injury and Palace have picked up 5 points in those 3 matches against teams that won the corresponding fixtures last season.

Great to have him back and scoring as well in a position that he is very effective in.

Robson
19-11-2017, 07:22 AM
It's like Lombardo in 97/98. Head and shoulders above the rest. Sadly, it will be the same result.