PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Eve football - Joint statement from Premier League fan groups

Al From Bromley
02-10-2017, 03:35 PM
Was surprised not to see Palace's Supporters Trust on the list of supporters trust at the foot of this statement? http://www.thstofficial.com/thst-news/supporters-say-no-to-christmas-eve-football

Latvian Eagle
02-10-2017, 03:57 PM
**** that. Never known games to be played on Xmas Eve. Even the NBA doesn't play Xmas Eve and they play pretty much every day during the season.

Tony Montana
02-10-2017, 04:04 PM
Was surprised not to see Palace's Supporters Trust on the list of supporters trust at the foot of this statement? http://www.thstofficial.com/thst-news/supporters-say-no-to-christmas-eve-football

I'm not.

the drexciyan
02-10-2017, 04:08 PM
Joke to play on xmas eve. It's all about tv viewers only now.

Purepalace
02-10-2017, 04:21 PM
Joke to play on xmas eve. It's all about tv viewers only now.

I dunno. Beats visiting the relatives :)

Phil's Barber
06-10-2017, 10:10 PM
Tom Watson MP has stepped in.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41533575

orp pisshead1
06-10-2017, 11:50 PM
That **** schudamore needs a proper proper kicking. If the players for once want to really show their appreciation for the support they receive they should ALL tell that **** they'll go on strike if need be to avoid playing Christmas Eve . They won't as he's their pay master.

PeterH
07-10-2017, 01:38 AM

That is how I get away from the relatives on Boxing Day. When I lived on Whitehorse Lane for 10 years, I went to my uncles in New Addington nearly every Christmas. Arriving Christmas Eve (6pm) and staying with all the cousins etc. until 8am to 10am Boxing Day. Palace home or away was my getaway.

Family are great - but you can have enough of a good thing.

Daniel_Nash
07-10-2017, 05:23 AM
Don't most people have to work on Christmas Eve? I did, until about 1-2pm anyway. I guess it would suit the American and Middle East/Asian TV markets, but not people who actually go to the games - isn't that the way it's all going though.... for me it would be early morning Christmas Day or through the night and I wouldn't be awake for it

Scudamore :jerkit:

orp pisshead1
07-10-2017, 05:25 AM
Don't most people have to work on Christmas Eve? I did, until about 1-2pm anyway. I guess it would suit the American and Middle East/Asian TV markets, but not people who actually go to the games - isn't that the way it's all going though.... for me it would be early morning Christmas Day or through the night and I wouldn't be awake for it

Yep scudamore you ******* :jerkit::jerkit::jerkit:

Ruskin Old Boy
07-10-2017, 06:41 AM
See also http://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=272248

tsunamiman
07-10-2017, 06:46 AM

Christmas Eve is a Sunday so most people will be off. But the rest of the point stands.

pallet
07-10-2017, 07:07 AM
Its so wrong. What about one the people it will effect who have no choice, like the staff who work at the ground. Secondly the negative impact it will have on families. They will be playing on christmas day soon

Happy Arthur
07-10-2017, 07:10 AM
^ that was the tradition back in the day.

TheMexicanHorse
07-10-2017, 07:17 AM
Yep scudamore you ******* :jerkit::jerkit::jerkit:

I might be missing something here, but Scudamore isnít in charge of picking the fixtures is he for BskyB?

I did have a chuckle that none of the clubs involved have actually said anything publicly afaik? Canít sign that billion pound plus TV deal, which stipulates the dates and then pretend to show some mock horror on this issue.

TheMexicanHorse
07-10-2017, 07:20 AM
That **** schudamore needs a proper proper kicking. If the players for once want to really show their appreciation for the support they receive they should ALL tell that **** they'll go on strike if need be to avoid playing Christmas Eve . They won't as he's their pay master.

Again, Scudamore doesnít have any control over each players indivdual employment contract with their clubs.

Ruskin Old Boy
07-10-2017, 07:49 AM
I might be missing something here, but Scudamore isnít in charge of picking the fixtures is he for BskyB?

I did have a chuckle that none of the clubs involved have actually said anything publicly afaik? Canít sign that billion pound plus TV deal, which stipulates the dates and then pretend to show some mock horror on this issue.

You haven't looked very closely. Arsenal and Liverpool are both against it. West Ham aren't bothered.

Dorking .Eagle
07-10-2017, 07:58 AM
There used to be football on Christmas Day!

Ruskin Old Boy
07-10-2017, 08:07 AM

And public transport.

The most effective opposition to Sky's plan to show football on TV whenever it pleases them - in this case Christmas Eve - will come from the forces of law and order. As in most things Sky love the power without responsibility.

TheMexicanHorse
07-10-2017, 08:09 AM
You haven't looked very closely. Arsenal and Liverpool are both against it. West Ham aren't bothered.

Canít see any official statement from either club?

old git
07-10-2017, 08:19 AM
And public transport.

The most effective opposition to Sky's plan to show football on TV whenever it pleases them - in this case Christmas Eve - will come from the forces of law and order. As in most things Sky love the power without responsibility.

And postal deliveries.Surely we have moved on though.:p

Ruskin Old Boy
07-10-2017, 08:22 AM
And postal deliveries.Surely we have moved on though.:p

Yes, we're not in the Third Division South every season :lux:

Yoda
07-10-2017, 08:34 AM

I remember my father going to football at Christmas. Donít think it was Christmas Day, though I know they did used to play then. But my guess is that a greater percentage of the fans lived locally then.

However, he wouldnít have gone beyond a London match at that time of the year. So either they were home matches or a London derby, and Iím sure they were daytime and he was back early evening.

Holding matches this Xmas Eve, especially in the evening, is not reasonable in my opinion. Not only for the travelling fans, but also the stadium staff, police etc, and the local residents who will be greatly inconvenienced then (eg by parking restrictions and road blocks).

sw16girl
07-10-2017, 10:04 AM
I'm not.

Why? Genuine question.

Have to say as far as I am aware we are against it - not sure why we are not on the list except sometimes there is only a very short period to respond and make sure your name is added.

the drexciyan
07-10-2017, 10:38 AM
Why aren't Palace on that list? Can a representative supporters group step in and say its not accepted from CPFC supporters too?

Phil's Barber
07-10-2017, 12:29 PM
I would really like to see a complete fan boycott if the game goes ahead on xmas eve.

Yoda
07-10-2017, 12:36 PM
I would really like to see a complete fan boycott if the game goes ahead on xmas eve.

Anyone who watched last weekís Barcelona match with no crowd would have seen how the TV Ďproductí is flat as a pancake without the fans present.

Sometimes I think the fans think Sky hold all the power, but we do still have some....but you need both sets of fans to boycott to have an impact, not just a few thousand away ones. Itís v rare for home fans to join in.

Yendor1
07-10-2017, 12:41 PM

We're obviously no longer viewed as a Premier League club

Phil's Barber
07-10-2017, 12:47 PM
Anyone who watched last weekís Barcelona match with no crowd would have seen how the TV Ďproductí is flat as a pancake without the fans present.

Sometimes I think the fans think Sky hold all the power, but we do still have some....but you need both sets of fans to boycott to have an impact, not just a few thousand away ones. Itís v rare for home fans to join in.

Spot on. I dont think you'd ever get an empty ground but if there is a significant number boycotting and only the tourists remaining you'd get the desired "flat" atmos.

johnnybacaro
08-10-2017, 01:31 PM
Common sense could play a role here. If the PL/Sky selected a local match for the Xmas Eve match, then noone would be complaining. Issue is making Newcastle fans travel for six hours.

If they make the stoke/west brom match the Sunday match, no one would have issue

RobertCPFC
10-10-2017, 12:15 PM
There will no 4pm game on Christmas Eve. It's still likely at least one game will be moved and whether it happens at lunchtime or 3pm (or somewhere between) we will have to wait and see.

The FSF‏Verified account @The_FSF 50m
More
Breaking news: @premierleague CEO Richard Scudamore commits to no 4pm KO on Xmas Eve following this morning's FSF Fans Group meeting.

Pikie Punisher
10-10-2017, 03:49 PM

Think visiting the relatives might be preferable to watching Palace at the moment :( ! Imagine us playing on Christmas Eve.. :( , it's bad enough every weekend being ruined without us suffering on Christmas Day too, can we just wait until Boxing Day for the the festive season to be ruined as usual :( .

Yoda
10-10-2017, 03:56 PM
Think visiting the relatives might be preferable to watching Palace at the moment :( ! Imagine us playing on Christmas Eve.. :( , it's bad enough every weekend being ruined without us suffering on Christmas Day too, can we just wait until Boxing Day for the the festive season to be ruined as usual :( .

Does feel a bit like that at the moment.

Pikie Punisher
10-10-2017, 04:56 PM
Does feel a bit like that at the moment.

And then to top it off we get to the New Years Day fixture:-

http://media.giphy.com/media/IwJJM1Tg67Gc8/giphy.gif