PDA

View Full Version : Travel Information Train works 18/11 Everton - no trains at Selhurst or Thornton Heath

King William
02-10-2017, 08:21 PM
Was looking at train tickets and seems Selhurst could be affected by engineering works.....

LN1
03-10-2017, 09:49 PM
Looks like nothing stopping at Thormton Heath or Selhurst all day (bus replacements). East Grinsteads and Caterhams running to/from Victoria but via Balham - Crystal Palace - Norwood Junction.

EddieEdwards
14-11-2017, 01:15 PM
Reminder that there will be no train service at Selhurst or Thornton Heath on Saturday - replacement buses operating between Balham and East Croydon. Norwood Junction will be open.

PeterH
15-11-2017, 01:16 PM
I have said this before, and I suspect I will say that again.

Palace have been at Selhurst for nearly 100 years, and for the most part play on Saturdays. That is not a train service.

cpfcfly
15-11-2017, 03:33 PM
8 trains an hour between East Croydon and Norwood Junction.

Trains will run from Norwood Junction fast to London Bridge, more than normal.
Trains will also run to Victoria, running fast to Balham and then stopping service to Vic, on top of the normal services.

hdeagle
17-11-2017, 11:59 AM
Due to Rail Engineering Works both Selhurst and Thornton Heath Station will be out of use for the Everton game on Saturday.

The only station available for the match will be Norwood Junction which will be rammed with people especially after the game when both Palace and Everton fans plus the general public will have to use it.

This is another case of very poor scheduling by Southern and will inconvenience thousands of people plus create problems for the British Transport Police as usually away fans would use Thornton Heath Station but now all fans will be using Norwood Junction.

This is from the club

https://www.cpfc.co.uk/

eagle mart
17-11-2017, 12:04 PM
Rumour has it trains diverted (both LB & Vic) via NJ route and they are planning to run a max of 4 an hour of each...

Mr Palace
17-11-2017, 12:11 PM
Southern wankers.

Palacetony17
17-11-2017, 12:25 PM
Don't blame Southernn for this, this is fault of network rail.

PoshPalace
17-11-2017, 12:30 PM
Go to East Croydon, it's a half hour brisk walk, or slightly longer if you stop at one of the fine watering holes en route.

ben1987
17-11-2017, 12:30 PM
They are still wankers though.

Mr Palace
17-11-2017, 12:33 PM
They are still wankers though.

They're all wankers.

hdeagle
17-11-2017, 12:57 PM
Here are fuller details on the Engineering Works and some East Croydon trains are being diverted to London Bridge when their normal route would be Victoria.

https://www.southernrailway.com/travel-information/plan-your-journey/planned-engineering-work?date=2017-11-18

Chris K
17-11-2017, 01:07 PM
Pleasant morning stroll from EC to the Pawsons it is then

CK
17-11-2017, 01:10 PM
Few more after till the crowd clears then. What a blow:supergrin:

Penstone Eagle
17-11-2017, 01:24 PM
Southern wankers.

This.

Penstone Eagle
17-11-2017, 01:26 PM
Don't blame Southernn for this, this is fault of network rail.

Changes nothing. Dreadful operator.

Jimmy Eagle
17-11-2017, 01:37 PM
Pleasant morning stroll from EC to the Pawsons it is then

Is the right answer

ebyeeckeagle
17-11-2017, 01:41 PM
Few more after till the crowd clears then. What a blow:supergrin:

Its a great excuse! :)

Lombardo's hair
17-11-2017, 02:00 PM
This is symptomatic with all that is wrong with public transport in the UK. Especially London. The congestion charge and TTax at just ways of raising money. The excuse for the T Tax is specious. Funny how it was introduced after a release of stat of deaths caused by position. Really? I wouldn't mind if the money was spent on an improving transport infrastructure but it's getting worse. People drive to work as it's almost the only guarantee of getting there and on time!!

Yoda
17-11-2017, 02:24 PM
I agree Lombardo, it’s largely about raising tax revenue, hidden behind a desire to be green.

Every few years the motorist has been compelled to make a change that would significantly reduce pollution (or so they say).

We’ve had the pressure change to unleaded petrol, and those converters that had to be fitted if you wanted to keep your old car, then diesel was bad, then diesel was better, then diesel was bad again.

Then the congestion charge, now the additional tax.

But has any of this improved the pollution...doesn’t seem to have made a positive improvement?

Ooh Betty
17-11-2017, 02:24 PM
This is symptomatic with all that is wrong with public transport in the UK. Especially London. The congestion charge and TTax at just ways of raising money. The excuse for the T Tax is specious. Funny how it was introduced after a release of stat of deaths caused by position. Really? I wouldn't mind if the money was spent on an improving transport infrastructure but it's getting worse. People drive to work as it's almost the only guarantee of getting there and on time!!

???

Chobham Eagle
17-11-2017, 02:34 PM
I have said this before, and I suspect I will say that again.

Palace have been at Selhurst for nearly 100 years, and for the most part play on Saturdays. That is not a train service.

You'd think they could at least choose a weekend when the Palace aren't at home. :grrr:

Malaga Eagle
17-11-2017, 02:44 PM
Also the High street has road works by Nisa with temporary lights at the moment.
Portland road has resurfacing going but i think thats at night.

Bobby Woodruff
17-11-2017, 03:06 PM
Bugger!

I checked the engineering works poster at Sutton a couple of days ago and it just said no trains from Selhurst to Victoria so i assumed trains would turn round at Selhurst. It looks like there are only two trains an hour Sutton- Norwood Junction. :frown:

I just hope they have the common sense to run eight car trains. But I'm not betting on it. :mad:

billy_gilberts_hammer
17-11-2017, 03:18 PM
You'd think they could at least choose a weekend when the Palace aren't at home. :grrr:

Why would they worry about a 3 hour window for football supporters at a weekend who use the service once every couple of weeks over improving the service for regular commuters who use it daily. Norwood Junction is open and readily accessible use that.

stamford triumph
17-11-2017, 03:25 PM
People drive to work as it's almost the only guarantee of getting there and on time!!
Really? In London? There is no guarantee of arrival time when driving anywhere in the country.

CJ PLUM
17-11-2017, 07:07 PM
Train travellers who normally use Selhurst or Thornton Heath and may be using Norwood Junction for the first time should be aware that they use a side gate entrance after the game and should ensure that they tap in on an oyster card reader to avoid a maximum fare charge.

macstar
17-11-2017, 08:14 PM
Due to Rail Engineering Works both Selhurst and Thornton Heath Station will be out of use for the Everton game on Saturday.

The only station available for the match will be Norwood Junction which will be rammed with people especially after the game when both Palace and Everton fans plus the general public will have to use it.

This is another case of very poor scheduling by Southern and will inconvenience thousands of people plus create problems for the British Transport Police as usually away fans would use Thornton Heath Station but now all fans will be using Norwood Junction.

This is from the club

https://www.cpfc.co.uk/

its Network Rail

macstar
17-11-2017, 08:15 PM

this is all done at weekends because work cant be carried out at night due to the many thousands of houses close to the railway lines. There is actually proper thought that goes into this. its just unfortunate it falls on a football day at selhurst.

newish eagle
17-11-2017, 08:16 PM
Changes nothing. Dreadful operator.
They are indeed a shocking operator.

They are the best advert for the car I have ever seen!

mushroom
17-11-2017, 08:36 PM
I think Network Rail plan these works 9-12 months in advance.

Smoz
17-11-2017, 09:04 PM
its Network Rail

I think Network Rail plan these works 9-12 months in advance.

Get it right, it should be Network Rail bastards.

hdeagle
17-11-2017, 09:47 PM
I spoke to the following regarding the logistical nightmare caused by this action :

British Transport Police - Unaware of these closures, suggested fans use bus service I kid you not.
Southern Rail - Ask Network Rail
Network Rail - Ask Southern
FSF (Football Supporters Federation) - Genuine concern about the inconvenience to both Palace and Everton fans particularly those with connections to catch to complete their journey and also the fact that Everton fans will be barred from the home fans only pubs in Norwood Junction as they would normally be using pubs in Thornton Heath and use that station.

They will query the timing of the Rail Engineering Works and the fact that it clashes with a Palace home game.

bhb
17-11-2017, 10:09 PM
First world problems. How many grounds have no station near them, let alone three?

greybot
17-11-2017, 10:19 PM
First world problems. How many grounds have no station near them, let alone three?

Indeed. It's quite a nice walk or a short bus ride from Victoria to London Bridge if you're allergic to the underground.

EddieEdwards
17-11-2017, 10:46 PM
It's always a pain when we get local engineering works on the day of a Palace home game but it really is pointless getting all indignant about it. Network Rail plan their programme of essential works throughout the whole country months in advance, often before football fixtures are known, and it's unrealistic to expect them to avoid ever clashing with a football match or other big event somewhere in the country.

The problems facing Palace and Everton fans tomorrow will hardly be insurmountable, with rail replacement buses serving Selhurst and Thornton Heath, extra trains on some routes through Norwood Junction and the usual alternatives such as buses and trams. Yes, it's all a bit of a pain, but football fans and other people are affected by engineering works somewhere every weekend, and once in a while it's inevitably going to be us.

Oli28
17-11-2017, 11:08 PM
I spoke to the following regarding the logistical nightmare caused by this action :

British Transport Police - Unaware of these closures, suggested fans use bus service I kid you not.
Southern Rail - Ask Network Rail
Network Rail - Ask Southern
FSF (Football Supporters Federation) - Genuine concern about the inconvenience to both Palace and Everton fans particularly those with connections to catch to complete their journey and also the fact that Everton fans will be barred from the home fans only pubs in Norwood Junction as they would normally be using pubs in Thornton Heath and use that station.

They will query the timing of the Rail Engineering Works and the fact that it clashes with a Palace home game.
If you're an Everton fan heading back to Euston then you'd go to Norwood Junction anyway.

Robson
18-11-2017, 12:17 AM
Palace play at home on a Saturday once in a blue moon these days. So yeah, well done Network Rail for choosing the first Saturday in about a month there playing at home and 26K expected to do their engineering works.

Can we rely on Southern to put on extra carriages for Norwood Junction? Lolololololol.

Big Gav
18-11-2017, 12:30 AM
Is it too much to ask for a bit of forward planning from these ******* idiots.
Why not do it on a Sunday instead of a Saturday? Surely even without the football Saturday is a busier day on the rail network for passengers.
Also the week between Christmas and New Year there is a whole bloody week of engineering works, could this not have been added then? Talking of which the Arsenal game on the 28th will also be affected I presume

Edit: Just noticed it's all weekend

hdeagle
18-11-2017, 12:33 AM
Everton would also use Victoria and the Victoria line underground from Euston/Kings Cross.

They would normally use Selhurst and Thornton Heath stations to get to Victoria but these stations are not operating.

Highbury and Islington overground service is running and this station is on the Victoria Line underground and runs to and from Norwood Junction.

The problem will be after the match when thousands will be heading for Norwood Junction including non-football fans.

bhb
18-11-2017, 12:53 AM
I really don’t see what the fuss is all about. Getting away from games in Liverpool and Manchester is always a pain, but hardly the end of the world. This will be no different.

hdeagle
18-11-2017, 01:14 AM
Bhb

You cannot be serious that there will not be massive congestion at Norwood Junction with thousands of people trying to gain access to the station after the game.

Norwood Junction is not designed to cope with this volume of passengers converging at the same time and it is bad enough when Selhurst and Thornton Heath stations are operating which is not the case on Saturday.

I agree that the best thing to do is to go for an after match drink to delay your return journey but some fans may have onward connections to catch and are rightly worried at missing them and cannot hang around after the game.

This should never have been an issue and the there has definitely been a lack of foresight over the scheduling of these works to coincide with Palace playing a home game being attended by over 25,000 fans many of whom rely on the trains.

PeterH
18-11-2017, 01:40 AM

It's not a first world problem - although I get your gist.

It's about having a railway insfrastructure that's on a par with India. Thus, it seems to be a second world problem.

Hedgehog
18-11-2017, 01:43 AM
Norwood Junction is not designed to cope with this volume of passengers converging at the same time and it is bad enough when Selhurst and Thornton Heath stations are operating which is not the case on Saturday.
Used to get a bit leery in the 70's!

hdeagle
18-11-2017, 02:10 AM
Everywhere was a potential trouble spot in the 70's and 80's when hooliganism and fighting was rife.

Thankfully this is now not the case apart from isolated incidents.

Hedgehog
18-11-2017, 02:26 AM
Everywhere was a potential trouble spot in the 70's and 80's when hooliganism and fighting was rife.

Certainly was not endorsing the actions of the 70's and 80's. But just shear numbers was scary alone.

Many people on a station platform is never a good thing.

HRP
18-11-2017, 02:51 AM
Bhb

You cannot be serious that there will not be massive congestion at Norwood Junction with thousands of people trying to gain access to the station after the game.

I agree that the best thing to do is to go for an after match drink to delay your return journey but some fans may have onward connections to catch and are rightly worried at missing them and cannot hang around after the game.

This should never have been an issue and the there has definitely been a lack of foresight over the scheduling of these works to coincide with Palace playing a home game being attended by over 25,000 fans many of whom rely on the trains.

Instead of blaming everyone else apart from the club , why didnít the club put a notice in the last match programme . People who travel by train have known about this for months , itís a shame the programme editor at palace is more concerned about whatís happening at Newcastle

How can network rail be expected to schedule works when sky tv can change fixtures at the drop of a hat.

Oli28
18-11-2017, 05:41 AM
Everton would also use Victoria and the Victoria line underground from Euston/Kings Cross.

Norwood to London Bridge in 12 minutes. Northern line.

Oli28
18-11-2017, 05:43 AM
Bhb

The engineering works are scheduled way before the fixture list comes out. Perhaps it's the Premier League who should have had the foresight.

Ooh Betty
18-11-2017, 06:31 AM
The engineering works are scheduled way before the fixture list comes out. Perhaps it's the Premier League who should have had the foresight.

Is clearly the correct answer.

mushroom
18-11-2017, 08:24 AM
Should Network Rail delay planning and arrange it around all 20 premier league clubs?

Maybe they should consult with Sky as well... just in case they move a game?

old git
18-11-2017, 09:16 AM
Stay in a pub or the ground for an hour.
Everyone's a winner.

TheMexicanHorse
18-11-2017, 09:32 AM
What travel chaos?
More trains stopping at NJ than usual
If your that worried just walk back into central croydon and go east or west accordingly.
But of course, the victim culture is back at this club. National rail, southern, tfl all out to get us

Selhurst Celtic
18-11-2017, 09:46 AM

COYP.

BERT'S HEAD
18-11-2017, 09:48 AM
COYP.

You should drop your first name today. For shame.

elgin eagle
18-11-2017, 09:53 AM
You should drop your first name today. For shame.

:)
And that Celtic nonsense.

Worksop Palace
18-11-2017, 09:59 AM
Looking forward to hdeagle throwing this in to the mix for reasons why we lost to Everton...

Lombardo's hair
18-11-2017, 10:27 AM
Really? In London? There is no guarantee of arrival time when driving anywhere in the country.

It's just as reliable as southern rail. Don't be argumentative see the whole spectrum. Public transport is a joke

Penstone Eagle
18-11-2017, 10:31 AM
Looking forward to hdeagle throwing this in to the mix for reasons why we lost to Everton...

:supergrin:

hdeagle
18-11-2017, 10:32 AM
What a massive contribution you make to the Palace cause Worksop.

You need to move to the Away End as you are not a Palace fan just a negative troll.

COYP

Worksop Palace
18-11-2017, 12:02 PM
What a massive contribution you make to the Palace cause Worksop.

You need to move to the Away End as you are not a Palace fan just a negative troll.

COYP

:supergrin: