PDA

View Full Version : Bored of relegation battles?

BillyTKid
09-10-2017, 01:09 PM
I thought this article on the guardian website (from a Swansea perspective) was interesting:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/when-saturday-comes-blog/2017/oct/09/relegation-premier-league-championship-swansea-city

To a large degree it echoes my current feeling:

"Once the novelty of playing in the Premier League wears off, watching your team lose most weeks can feel predictable, dispiriting and just not much fun"

I know there is no guarantee we will be towards the top end of the table if we do go down but I'm coming to the realisation that I won't be that disappointed if we do get relegated. We have had some great moments over the last few seasons but the form at home has generally been miserable and I just want to see us win more games and score some goals.

From a financial standpoint I know it would be damaging and if I were a share holder then I wouldn't feel this way but surely most of us just want to be entertained?

What are other peoples views?

mcmean
09-10-2017, 01:35 PM
Personally I wouldn't be devastated if we went down - maybe its because I've seen far too many relegations in my time following Palace to know it's not the be-all and end-all. That, and the fact I always enjoyed away-games more in the lower leagues for some reason.

However, we do need to dispel the myth that we'll come straight back up, or 'walk the league' if we go down - that very rarely happens.

DARZET EAGLE
09-10-2017, 01:43 PM
Personally I wouldn't be devastated if we went down - maybe its because I've seen far too many relegations in my time following Palace to know it's not the be-all and end-all. That, and the fact I always enjoyed away-games more in the lower leagues for some reason.

However, we do need to dispel the myth that we'll come straight back up, or 'walk the league' if we go down - that very rarely happens.

Indeed. There are now some very big fish in the Championship who all want a return to the Premier League....but I would rather not think of that now.

Dorking .Eagle
09-10-2017, 01:52 PM
After 5 seasons, we have seen Palace beat every big team at least once (well, everyone bar Man Utd grrrrr), so we have ticked that off.

We've beaten Chelsea 3 times, won at Anfield 3 seasons in a row, ruined their title hopes, knocked Tottenham out of the Cup, played in a Final and so on.

It wouldn't feel as frustrating as the times we have gone straight down.

From a realistic fans point of view, all that is left really are

a) the stadium,
b) win a cup, and
c) get into Europe (which comes from b)

I'm not holding my breath over the stadium despite people saying 'be patient' for the last 4/5 years.

The cup is most likely possible when you are a settled mid-table team, but look at Stoke, West Brom etc - nothing.

Europe - well the drawbridge has pretty much been pulled up on that one as far as we are concerned - no Fair Play League and no spot for Cup runners-up any more. I ain't holding my breath.

Not a great deal to stick around for really, other than an occasional big scalp in our desperate annual attempt to reach 40pts. Been there, done that.

Hector
09-10-2017, 01:52 PM
I thought this article on the guardian website (from a Swansea perspective) was interesting:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/when-saturday-comes-blog/2017/oct/09/relegation-premier-league-championship-swansea-city

To a large degree it echoes my current feeling:

"Once the novelty of playing in the Premier League wears off, watching your team lose most weeks can feel predictable, dispiriting and just not much fun"

I know there is no guarantee we will be towards the top end of the table if we do go down but I'm coming to the realisation that I won't be that disappointed if we do get relegated. We have had some great moments over the last few seasons but the form at home has generally been miserable and I just want to see us win more games and score some goals.

From a financial standpoint I know it would be damaging and if I were a share holder then I wouldn't feel this way but surely most of us just want to be entertained?

What are other peoples views?

Recently I've come round to this way of thinking. The Premier League is brilliant for money but the losing and not scoring is just killing the enjoyment.

trufan
09-10-2017, 01:53 PM
Sympathise with the views expressed there, but my hope is that we'll somehow stabilise things and attain the "dream" goal of becoming established in mid-table. Believe me, I work with several fans of Championship clubs. They envy us and would love to be top flight. Giving up that status without a whimper as we're doing now is simply unforgivable.

DARZET EAGLE
09-10-2017, 01:55 PM
After 5 seasons, we have seen Palace beat every big team at least once (well, everyone bar Man Utd grrrrr), so we have ticked that off.

We've beaten Chelsea 3 times, won at Anfield 3 seasons in a row, ruined their title hopes, knocked Tottenham out of the Cup, played in a Final and so on.

a) the stadium,
b) win a cup, and

I'm not holding my breath over the stadium despite people saying 'be patient' for the last 4/5 years.

The cup is most likely possible when you are a settled mid-table team, but look at Stoke, West Brom etc - nothing.

Europe - well the drawbridge has pretty much been pulled up on that one as far as we are concerned - no Fair Play League and no spot for Cup runners-up any more. I ain't holding my breath.

Not a great deal to stick around for really, other than an occasional big scalp in our desperate annual attempt to reach 40pts. Been there, done that.

A pragmatist, a sensible approach Dorking.

EagleSE24
09-10-2017, 01:56 PM
I'm bored of relegation battles. But I want us to finish mid-table in the PL year on year with occasional forays into Europe, not return to the Championship.

DARZET EAGLE
09-10-2017, 02:01 PM
I'm bored of relegation battles. But I want us to finish mid-table in the PL year on year with occasional forays into Europe, not return to the Championship.

Don't we all mate. COYP.

Neillo's Son
09-10-2017, 02:12 PM
Leicester winning the league has made PL football even less enjoyable. It was an unbelievable achievement but out of sheer arrogance and damaged pride, the top sides have now cut the rest of us further adrift through their spending power.

Given our inability to pick up points against the bottom half teams, this season has already become a chore.

Windsor_Eagle
09-10-2017, 02:20 PM
The other positive of staying up is being able to hang on to your better players. Otherwise I agree with Dorking Eagle's post.

HurstpierPalace
09-10-2017, 02:24 PM
Stay up or not I just want most of this crop of players gone and to move on from this 'era'. I can deal with annual relegation battles if it's supporting a team of grafters who will fight and scrap for every point. I support the team as always this year through a love of the club and a shared sense of loyalty with other Palace fans but God I ******* hate this group of overpaid, whining twats.

exiledeagle
09-10-2017, 02:26 PM
Thing thing about Palace we go on dreadful runs then perhaps get 3 wins and a draw to ease pressure ( apart from this season sadly ) . Wish we could win one lose one draw one - better for our nerves . Must be honest though , this season has been a real downer and I just expect us to lose to whoever we play . The one available forward is just hard to understand .

SeanPalace84
09-10-2017, 02:58 PM
Great post from OP. Think the 2ay it's all panned out is just a bit frustrating. Hope that if we do go down we have the right backing to be competitive.

Richard
09-10-2017, 03:06 PM

a) the stadium,
b) win a cup, and

Good post (albeit missing out the 3-0 against Arsenal) - but the one unforgiveable lapse if we do get relegated is not having substantially redeveloped at least one side of the ground. Love its rustic charm, as I do, we all have to accept that Selhurst isn't even a decent Championship stadium these days; and the ability to develop revenues from all the peripheral match-day activity - and other non-matchday use - is sadly vital to modern football economics.

laughing_gravy
09-10-2017, 03:06 PM
People talk about the money we'll lose if we go down but have we really seen any benefit from it since promotion?
I know we've spent some money on players but have those big money players really contributed that much? Zaha is still the best player at the club & we paid virtually nothing for him.
Also, this stadium talk. We still haven't seen any real evidence to suggest the money is there have we? If the money has been ring-fenced (as has been quoted), surely it will still be there if we go down?
I'm just sick of the constant Parish talk of us being an established Premier League team, yet we're still run like a League 1 outfit. Waiting to pick up last minute bargains on deadline day is a typical example. What sort of "established" Premier League club does that? As a club, we knew what we needed but failed to address it. Maybe Championship is our level?
I won't be too bothered going down to be honest, it'll be easier to park up next season without having to arrive 3 hours beforehand! The most devastating thing for me will be saying goodbye to Wilf, as he'll certainly be sold. Won't be too bothered about Benteke as he can't be bothered himself.

Panther
09-10-2017, 03:17 PM
Recently I've come round to this way of thinking. The Premier League is brilliant for money but the losing and not scoring is just killing the enjoyment.

Is the money so brilliant though? Sure, there’s a lot of it but not much of it stays in the club, mostly going out in ridiculously inflated transfer fees, wages and agents’ fees.

Fatboy
09-10-2017, 03:22 PM
I'm more bored with.....

- Crap transfer dealings.
- Needing to have two managers every season.

If we got rid of those - We might not be in relegation battles.

aj4england
09-10-2017, 03:25 PM
Agree with Dorking however I don't get bored of seeing Wilf play. This would become a memory and who knows how long we would have to wait until we say a palace player, never mind a home grown palace player, bring as much satisfaction as he does.

Pikie Punisher
09-10-2017, 03:32 PM
Sympathise with the views expressed there, but my hope is that we'll somehow stabilise things and attain the "dream" goal

Yep, we're all dreaming of that goal at the moment!

SussexRed&Blue
09-10-2017, 03:32 PM
The Premier League is great for money when you 1st get promoted without having a bloated wage bill and big pay disparity between players.

The longer we remain the bigger the wage bill gets without seeing any improvements on the pitch and we are not able to break even despite the huge income we receive. All the money goes out to players and agents who appear to be the only benefactors in this.

The Wage Bill is probably just about covered by the revenue but that is before any incoming transfers.

It is a very difficult balancing act.

Se9 eagles
09-10-2017, 03:43 PM
Sick and tired of it.Sick of all the home defeats,the greed and Gary Lineker.The ONLY thing I would miss is if Wilf left as a result of going down....

Se9 eagles
09-10-2017, 03:45 PM
Who is honestly looking forward to Saturday?

trufan
09-10-2017, 04:03 PM

Chelsea. Another three points and a chance to bump up their goal difference.

Let's pray we finally get the shock result we all crave. Unlikely, but would be extra sweet against that entitled bunch of King's Road twerps.

orp pisshead1
09-10-2017, 04:30 PM
People talk about the money we'll lose if we go down but have we really seen any benefit from it since promotion?
I know we've spent some money on players but have those big money players really contributed that much? Zaha is still the best player at the club & we paid virtually nothing for him.
Also, this stadium talk. We still haven't seen any real evidence to suggest the money is there have we? If the money has been ring-fenced (as has been quoted), surely it will still be there if we go down?
I'm just sick of the constant Parish talk of us being an established Premier League team, yet we're still run like a League 1 outfit. Waiting to pick up last minute bargains on deadline day is a typical example. What sort of "established" Premier League club does that? As a club, we knew what we needed but failed to address it. Maybe Championship is our level?
I won't be too bothered going down to be honest, it'll be easier to park up next season without having to arrive 3 hours beforehand! The most devastating thing for me will be saying goodbye to Wilf, as he'll certainly be sold. Won't be too bothered about Benteke as he can't be bothered himself.

^^^^^^
Nothing more to be said really and losing Wilf will be devastating so it's the only reason i hope we pull off a miracle and stay up.

Maiden Eagle
09-10-2017, 04:30 PM

I'm not. Looking forward to a beer beforehand, in fact almost would consider staying in the pub.
The premier league is becoming a play thing for the top 6 - It will not be long before they sort out their own TV deals, like Real and Barca do in Spain. They have already showed their hand in the recent o'seas deal.
Everton are trying to join the elite but failing ATM but for the other 12 Clubs there is little to aim for other than survival. So it has become a chore from a Palace point of view TBH.
So, relegation would't bother me greatly, but I don't want us to carry on being embarrassing this season and if the Seaweeds ended in the Prem still, that would hurt.

Reg_Maudling
09-10-2017, 04:38 PM
An 'established' premier league club doesn't fight relegation for five successive seasons

The 'next level' for palace at the end of last season would have been to aim for a comfortable midtable finish with no serious threat all season of relegation and a good go at one of the cups

Then you can gradually strengthen the squad every year
And hopefully improve the ground

Thinking that the next level for palace was something beyond that was an error made by the board and a lot of fans at the time

Dorking .Eagle
09-10-2017, 04:54 PM
We are as 'established' after 5 years as Sunderland were after 10. Pulls and Allardyce would have changed that, and made us into a safe West Brom or Stoke type club, but for whatever reasons, neither wanted to stick around for long.

SussexRed&Blue
09-10-2017, 04:56 PM
You have to walk before you can run and build it gradually. Unfortunately by trying to be a big club without the firm foundations has caught us out. Buying the right types of players with the right character is key. Buy players who are hungry for success and not just driven by money and financial security.

RAB
09-10-2017, 04:56 PM
It's pretty depressing really. Following Palace shouldn't be like this.

But a thought provoking thread.

I've been banging on for ages about our home form and despite all the worthy wishes by Steve Parish for Palace fans to think bigger I am reaching the conclusion that this Club just does not have the necessary equipment in finance, expertise or realistic ambition to bridge the gap. CPFC are essentially second rate. Sure we have punched above our weight at times and have produced some wonderful moments since being promoted but ultimately it's been like watching inevitable glorious failure, with the very real prospect that the final outcome of our 5 season promotion will be far removed from 'glorious'. Bit like watching Mel Gibson's 'Braveheart'. You know the ending.

I hate watching Palace lose but our home form is a disgrace. Most times, there is no joy in attending matches at Selhurst Park.

What do we need? A very rich owner(s) with a vision that is sustainable. The luck to appoint and support a proper long term manager who shares the vision. Well paid and provided with the resources to do the job to the maximum. Commitment by the owner and mutual trust with the manager to see off any attempt for him being poached. A team built on hungry, talented players with that special quality of 'brotherhood' with each other. Home grown players to blend in. The ability to part quickly with any dissention on or off the pitch so that rumour does not spread in social media to worry players or fans. Strong trustful communication between the Club and the fans. A local, fierce pride with media support and social media expertise to snuff out any attempt by bigger clubs to poach our talent. More than 'South London and Proud' posters. Open days, Fans' Evenings, schools etc.

We had some elements of this with the promotion team and most certainly had some of these qualities with Coppell in the early 90s. That time was a long time ago. We also had some communication systems under Jordan and a more productive youth system.

Sadly even if we reach this magical outcome, it never endures.

Reps AJ
09-10-2017, 05:15 PM
For all the success in staying in the Prem you'd hope that there would be some sort of legacy.... a fantastic training facility or academy or a revamped ground

But relegation is no better.... I watched Huddersfield put 7 passed us in the Championship

johnp
09-10-2017, 06:48 PM
For all the success in staying in the Prem you'd hope that there would be some sort of legacy.... a fantastic training facility or academy or a revamped ground

But relegation is no better.... I watched Huddersfield put 7 passed us in the Championship

Prepare to be bored with our relegation battle in the Championship next season after we have sold off any players of value by the summer.

Se9 eagles
09-10-2017, 06:53 PM
I'm not. Looking forward to a beer beforehand, in fact almost would consider staying in the pub.
The premier league is becoming a play thing for the top 6 - It will not be long before they sort out their own TV deals, like Real and Barca do in Spain. They have already showed their hand in the recent o'seas deal.
Everton are trying to join the elite but failing ATM but for the other 12 Clubs there is little to aim for other than survival. So it has become a chore from a Palace point of view TBH.
So, relegation would't bother me greatly, but I don't want us to carry on being embarrassing this season and if the Seaweeds ended in the Prem still, that would hurt.

Ah 'the beer beforehand'.What would we do without it:supergrin:?

Shipp Ahoy!
09-10-2017, 07:03 PM
What is funny is, we have actually only really been two relegation battles before this season out of 4!

First seaaon under Pulis we finished mid table and were safe with weeks to spare, second season under Pardew we were again very comfortable and finished mid table safe with games to spare.

The following season was a weird one as we were so high up and looked almost safe by christmas, then had an absolutely calimitous league run while making the cup final, ultimately guatenteeing safety with a couple of weeks to go.

Even last season with 3 games to go it needed a pretty miraculous set of results for us to go down...

I agree it would be nice to have a season where we were actually pushing for a European spot such is our comfor level with a couple of months to go... but then what team other than Leicester have actually achieved this in the last 10-15 years?!? Ironically I can only think of Hodgsons Fulham and McLaren's Boro!

Ps. Apologies for the many many typos due to my stupid phone!

newish eagle
09-10-2017, 07:04 PM
We are as 'established' after 5 years as Sunderland were after 10. Pulls and Allardyce would have changed that, and made us into a safe West Brom or Stoke type club, but for whatever reasons, neither wanted to stick around for long.
Agreed, those were the mid-table ships that sailed, for whatever reason (as you say).

NRM the 2nd
09-10-2017, 07:36 PM

a) the stadium,
b) win a cup, and

Sums it up for me. Actually finding it boring now. I've said before I think in 5 years I can count 5 moments where I have thought I can't get that feeling in the championship. But even saying that has there been a instance where it meant more than say wilfs goals at Brighton.

I personally need to rediscover the buzz and I actually think going down will do that

Martin H
09-10-2017, 07:39 PM
What is funny is, we have actually only really been two relegation battles before this season out of 4!

Think that's a bit of a rosy memory of it. They felt like relegation dogfights to me. We escaped them but we were deep in the mire for sure.

Jim Cannon
09-10-2017, 07:40 PM
[/B]

Indeed. There are now some very big fish in the Championship who all want a return to the Premier League....but I would rather not think of that now.

Staggering how many people believe this as well. If we do drop, I expect us to be down for quite a while.

Gregz41
09-10-2017, 07:47 PM
A thought provoking piece from a fan of another team in a similar position. The lack of progress from the opening half of the 15/16 season has left a very stale feel about the place. The first two and a half years were great, but the core members of that squad have largely moved on and have been replaced with players that are uninspiring.

On the pitch, the Home form which has been a concern since the 2nd season in hasn’t been addressed, if anything it has deteriorated. Off the pitch, mistakes that have been made in previous seasons, almost costing our Premier League status have been repeated last season and again this season. The lack of left back in 14/15 and 16/17 is beyond naive. We’ve been incredibly short up front for large portions of 14/15, 15/16, 16/17 and now once again in 17/18, and it’s worse than its ever been. I get that prolific goalscorers and to a lesser extent strikers cost more so than any other position, but it is seriously crap to blow £26m on another defender when the rest of the squad is chronically short.

There’s been a real glut of injuries this season which some might say is highly unlucky, but for me it’s negligence. We’ve really rode our luck at times with key players staying fit. We’d have likely been down if Benteke had got injured last season after Wickham’s ACL tear.

RAB
09-10-2017, 07:58 PM
I really don't want to go down but yes I am bored and tired of constantly being beaten. We lost 21 times last season and already have reached a third of that total this season.

Like a few others I do not look forward to the Championship with much confidence. Apart from losing the best players, those left are pretty ropey and lack heart. But perhaps a bigger problem might be an unreadiness for that tough league. After the trauma of the Burley season, Freedman took a very pragmatic approach and though it was boring football at times, the whole Club including us the fans, began to adjust, not being too ambitious. True that the promotion season start had a worrying feel but gradually there was a substance in the Team which proved itself. Having had 5 seasons in the Premier League may lead to high expectations. Often that ends badly.

If we go down and start badly, the outcome could be very bad.

Shipp Ahoy!
09-10-2017, 08:41 PM
Think that's a bit of a rosy memory of it. They felt like relegation dogfights to me. We escaped them but we were deep in the mire for sure.

Funny enough yes, it felt that way.

I was at West Ham that first season... it was such a celebration and yet we were safe with several games to go.

FMH57
09-10-2017, 08:56 PM
The worst thing about relegation is the thought of having Hennessey in goal for another season. If that turns out to be the case it will be a Championship relegation battle.

macstar
09-10-2017, 09:12 PM
like others have said we still dont feel like we are a premier league club even though this is the 5th season. We feel like "visitors".

So many mistakes have been made its untrue....add that to the fact that many of the fans still feel that the championship was "more enjoyable".

NorthPalace23
09-10-2017, 09:42 PM
Sunderland are experiencing another relegation battle, this time in the Championship!

Stay up Palace!

DARZET EAGLE
09-10-2017, 10:00 PM
Thing thing about Palace we go on dreadful runs then perhaps get 3 wins and a draw to ease pressure ( apart from this season sadly ) . Wish we could win one lose one draw one - better for our nerves . Must be honest though , this season has been a real downer and I just expect us to lose to whoever we play . The one available forward is just hard to understand .

Indeed a mystery to me. We had the Summer to sort it out and failed. In all my years in whatever division, I can't recall such a dearth of forward options.:sob:

SussexRed&Blue
09-10-2017, 10:05 PM
Just look at those Clowns at Charlton who wanted to move on to the next level in the Premier League and ended up playing at the Big Top in Division 1! Very easy to go straight through another division with a side not equiped to fight in the Championship. It's not too late but we need to start getting our act together.

New LP
09-10-2017, 10:35 PM
Is the money so brilliant though? Sure, there’s a lot of it but not much of it stays in the club, mostly going out in ridiculously inflated transfer fees, wages and agents’ fees.

That's certainly the case if a club is badly run, doesn't have any coherent plan or desire to invest in its infrastructure and has to continually pay managers off and bring in new managers to bail out the situation.

cpfc4evandeva
09-10-2017, 11:02 PM

Good post.

Losing Zaha and a real chance to push the club forward will be sad, but the Championship is a good, enjoyable league. I honestly think that from a fan point of view, there are more positives to be found there.

cpfc4evandeva
09-10-2017, 11:04 PM
And even if we do stay up, I have no faith at all that the people currently in charge will ever turn us into a new WBA or Stoke. If we stay up this season, we'll have it all to look forward to again the following year until we do eventually drop.

Winny
09-10-2017, 11:19 PM
Palace will never become an established prem side like your stokes, wba’s and to a degree your other teams like Everton, soton.

We’re a relegation ready to happen and the biggest travesty is we could entertain Sheffield United at home this time next year, they’d turn up and the ground will still be in the sorry state it is in from when we left them 5 years ago!

There is nothing within the club that has improved within the prem stay, all we have a legacy for us having the 8th most expensive squad in the 2017/2018 (believe I read that somewhere else) and being in the top 20 across Europe for salaries paid to mercenaries who call themselves footballers!

Me personally, I would enjoy it more, the prem match day experience is void now! It’s a joke, it’s not what selhurst is about.

The thrill of Tuesday evenings and 3pm Saturday continually
The thrill of not knowing what your going to watch on the pitch
The thrill of a hopefully another young talent grow before our eyes
The thrill of scoring and winning (hopefully) more
The thrill of shit shocking refs and bizarre decisions as they are incompetent and not just game hungry media whores
The thrill of a league where all teams battle and slog it out for 90 minutes
The thrill of the away day

The prem really doesn’t offer me much and if we were to skip out, I honestly don’t think I’d be that fussed. Would pain only if Brighton stayed up, but I think they’ll slide with us!

Bring on the burton!

palace_burger
10-10-2017, 05:20 AM
[/B]

Indeed a mystery to me. We had the Summer to sort it out and failed. In all my years in whatever division, I can't recall such a dearth of forward options.:sob:

Not sure it's a mystery, this summer the transfer market went nuts when PSG brought Neymar

I read a report that Spurs are confident that Deli Alli will sign a new contract taking him from 50k to 80k

I suspect the like of Utd, City, Real Madrid would be interested in him and Kane and could offer 200-300k

The world has gone mad, there's not doubt we had targets lined up, but greed for players and agents had taken over a d driven prices to crazy levels

I wonder (and perhaps did SP) is thinking when the current TV deal expires will there be new one signed at even higher rates to cover the inflated player costs?

With so much online streaming going on, could a global deal be sought and at a lower rate? Wil the top teams as we have seen in the last week seek a higher percentage

As bad as the situation is I'm sure we were minded to ongoing rising costs

Benteke, cabye, zaha' wages will look small fry in due course?!

Night Eagle
10-10-2017, 07:44 AM
We have to stay up build and develop. It's imperative for the Club to evolve properly.

Green Bin
10-10-2017, 09:44 AM
We have to stay up build and develop. It's imperative for the Club to evolve properly.

We'll never evolve properly if we keep changing managers on a regular basis... and we need to stop getting rid of players that were previously key to success but not replacing them...Jedinak is the obvious one, I would say Gayle was another, Bolasie perhaps another.

Imagine if we had stuck with Pardew and addressed the missing links that Sam had to sort out in Jan.

Not too fussed which division we're in, just want us to be able to compete

MFBias
10-10-2017, 10:33 AM
I'm bored of hearing Palace 'fans' call everything 'Pathetic' or 'a disgrace' when we are in the most competitive league in the world, I am also bored of all the footballers now conforming to the look David Beckham created, shit armsleeve tattoos, even youth team players have them its ******* boring and conforming.

MFBias
10-10-2017, 10:39 AM
Not sure it's a mystery, this summer the transfer market went nuts when PSG brought Neymar

I read a report that Spurs are confident that Deli Alli will sign a new contract taking him from 50k to 80k

I suspect the like of Utd, City, Real Madrid would be interested in him and Kane and could offer 200-300k

The world has gone mad, there's not doubt we had targets lined up, but greed for players and agents had taken over a d driven prices to crazy levels

I wonder (and perhaps did SP) is thinking when the current TV deal expires will there be new one signed at even higher rates to cover the inflated player costs?

With so much online streaming going on, could a global deal be sought and at a lower rate? Wil the top teams as we have seen in the last week seek a higher percentage

As bad as the situation is I'm sure we were minded to ongoing rising costs

Benteke, cabye, zaha' wages will look small fry in due course?!

You know where this all went wrong? Two short transfer windows giving all the players the power, increaing panic and competition between the clubs, inflating the market. Yes more money has come into the game but this has hiked it.

The window was brought in due to fears players could walkout if their contract at anytime but this didnt happen. They were scared if another Bosman situation but they actually made it worse. The windows policy nevers get included as a reason why transfers fees and player power has gone up but it is the main culprit.

Bring back one window open till March.

Jimmy Eagle
10-10-2017, 11:08 AM
We'll never evolve properly if we keep changing managers on a regular basis... and we need to stop getting rid of players that were previously key to success but not replacing them...Jedinak is the obvious one, I would say Gayle was another, Bolasie perhaps another.

Imagine if we had stuck with Pardew and addressed the missing links that Sam had to sort out in Jan.

Jedinak was shot. He's proved that at Villa this season and Gayle isn't cut out for the Prem. He's proved that at Newcastle this season - they want rid.

Yes, imagine if we had stuck with Pardew. We'd be in the Championship right now instead of next season. :wallbash:

Hector
10-10-2017, 11:15 AM

If you set the club up right the manager becomes far less important. Watford change manager all the time and are progressing. Southampton change and it doesn't disrupt them to much. It's all about a club strategy and pursuing it, we just bounce for possession football to long ball and back meaning the manager becomes vital.

mcmean
10-10-2017, 11:19 AM
Palace will never become an established prem side like your stokes, wba’s and to a degree your other teams like Everton, soton.

We’re a relegation ready to happen and the biggest travesty is we could entertain Sheffield United at home this time next year, they’d turn up and the ground will still be in the sorry state it is in from when we left them 5 years ago!

There is nothing within the club that has improved within the prem stay, all we have a legacy for us having the 8th most expensive squad in the 2017/2018 (believe I read that somewhere else) and being in the top 20 across Europe for salaries paid to mercenaries who call themselves footballers!

Me personally, I would enjoy it more, the prem match day experience is void now! It’s a joke, it’s not what selhurst is about.

The thrill of Tuesday evenings and 3pm Saturday continually
The thrill of not knowing what your going to watch on the pitch
The thrill of a hopefully another young talent grow before our eyes
The thrill of scoring and winning (hopefully) more
The thrill of shit shocking refs and bizarre decisions as they are incompetent and not just game hungry media whores
The thrill of a league where all teams battle and slog it out for 90 minutes
The thrill of the away day

The prem really doesn’t offer me much and if we were to skip out, I honestly don’t think I’d be that fussed. Would pain only if Brighton stayed up, but I think they’ll slide with us!

Bring on the burton!

Cant agree with the two highlighted points. You only have to look around the ground and the training ground to see the progress made

MFBias
10-10-2017, 11:46 AM
Cant agree with the two highlighted points. You only have to look around the ground and the training ground to see the progress made

Cue some joke about cladding...

CharlieCPFC
10-10-2017, 11:54 AM
I'm not neccassarily bored of relegation battles, I'd probably be just as bored sitting mid table every season if not worse. I am really bored though of the constant change in direction the board want and massively poor and disjointed squad we have in both their pay packets and ability. I'm bored of watching the players put in no effort whatsoever for all their given ability, the shocking home form with dysmal performances reflects that.

I'm not saying I want to see Shaun Derry and Ertl here etc but a model in a similar veign to Burnley where we have a team who first and foremost offer 100% and get the fans into play and then a mix of good ability in the right areas like out wide.

People who talk round in circles like Brendan Rodgers talk about going one step backward to take two forward but now we quite literally need to do that with ourselves modelled on ourselves.

My positive outlook on it now is if Hodgson can solidify the club again into having a vision that fits both the profile of the club and players we got we could be half a decent force again. We've got a solid spine of Sakho, Dann/Tomkins and Luka. We need to work around that.

A lot of rebuilding required as there has been needed for ages now but hopefully SP might learn his lesson before it's too late. We are cutting it very fine this year though.

pallet
10-10-2017, 12:37 PM
When we got promoted and stayed up I was really hopeful that at last we could now be stable and build as a club and move forward, bit by bit. Improvements to the ground, better players, each season a higher finish until we were on the edges of fighting for a Europa cup spot. Palace in Europe, we would take thousands and it would be a great experience. How wrong could I be, we have no real improvements made to the ground, our transfer policy is shocking and we have been through more managers than Steve Parish has had hairdressers.
If we go down we will lose Wilf, as he deserves to be playing at a better level, but we will also hopefully unearth so gems. If we in the Premership before would we ahve signed AJ? Murray or Jedi, no we would have still thrown money away on players that are meant to be better like Benetkeke.
It is going to be painful but also alot of fun POTY again anyone??

trufan
10-10-2017, 03:43 PM
We looked well-run and appeared to be a club with sensible expectations when we got promoted. However, something almost always goes badly wrong at Palace and it looks like it's happening yet again. Whether we're trying to be "clever little sausages" or just trying to keep up with the Joneses, we invariably slip up eventually. It makes it all the harder for us fans that this one seemed so eminently avoidable.

Still, I suppose the perennial battles do make the occasional good days even brighter. Whatever happens, we'll always have May 2013. :)

MFBias
10-10-2017, 04:18 PM
The only off season we have had consistency has been the two summer Pardew was at the club, every otherone we have been dealt blows by manager's leaving unexpectanly.
We have needed to fight fires every year we have been up which takes up alot of the boards energy and funds. I dont know why people just assume staying in the top flight is easy. Pardew was the closest we came to consistency in the Premier League but then the fans wanted him sacked before the bored.

I think we need to look at ourselves and not just blame the board. Lets be honest it has been a tough time with certain events going against us, we have thrown everything at the problems and maybe it has just caught up with us this time. Im not ashamed; the club have delievered our longest spell in the top flight and a cup final, and is probably guilty of trying to grow too fast.

Ooh Betty
10-10-2017, 04:24 PM
I think we need to look at ourselves and not just blame the board. M

Oh, so it's our fault then.

Thanks for pointing that out. It's all becoming clear now.

RAB
10-10-2017, 05:22 PM
Glass Ceiling:
Noun - an upper limit to professional advancement that is imposed upon women, minorities, and other nondominant groups and is not readily perceived or openly acknowledged.

I don't blame the Board for the current state. At least they've tried and as another poster has said, they have thrown everything at it to stay up with record signings and huge wages. Whilst we are far from down yet, I will only have emotional loss as a supporter if we are relegated.

Sure mistakes have been made but I don't know the first thing about how transfers actually work now. It all looks fairly straightforward when I read the sports gossip but then I read about the player's wage demands, add-ons, contract clauses and much more. That is even before the ante is upped on a small club like Palace by Sky and TalkSport mixing the pudding with rival clubs joining the auction.

The old days when a new signing (or a new manager) arrived at Selhurst Park in a Ford Cortina, wearing a sheepskin coat and the first I got to know about it was from The Advertiser or Ceefax are long gone.

There have been some very informative posts on this thread and I hadn't really taken in how much the signing of average players for huge fees on high wages has probably impacted so badly on the Board's plans to improve the Ground. It has become virtually impossible to move these players on. This is the true cost of being in the Premier League. A modest club simply cannot compete with the finances.

The spiralling costs, for all the tv money, to a club like Palace is like playing in a fixed game with loaded dice against richer opponents. Palace have to bet it seems with the odds stacked against them.

The sooner the so called Top 6 break away the better, perhaps and that might be when finally the Premier League eats itself.

trufan
10-10-2017, 06:00 PM
Glass Ceiling:
Noun - an upper limit to professional advancement that is imposed upon women, minorities, and other nondominant groups and is not readily perceived or openly acknowledged.

I don't blame the Board for the current state. At least they've tried and as another poster has said, they have thrown everything at it to stay up with record signings and huge wages. Whilst we are far from down yet, I will only have emotional loss as a supporter if we are relegated.

Sure mistakes have been made but I don't know the first thing about how transfers actually work now. It all looks fairly straightforward when I read the sports gossip but then I read about the player's wage demands, add-ons, contract clauses and much more. That is even before the ante is upped on a small club like Palace by Sky and TalkSport mixing the pudding with rival clubs joining the auction.

The old days when a new signing (or a new manager) arrived at Selhurst Park in a Ford Cortina, wearing a sheepskin coat and the first I got to know about it was from The Advertiser or Ceefax are long gone.

There have been some very informative posts on this thread and I hadn't really taken in how much the signing of average players for huge fees on high wages has probably impacted so badly on the Board's plans to improve the Ground. It has become virtually impossible to move these players on. This is the true cost of being in the Premier League. A modest club simply cannot compete with the finances.

The spiralling costs, for all the tv money, to a club like Palace is like playing in a fixed game with loaded dice against richer opponents. Palace have to bet it seems with the odds stacked against them.

The sooner the so called Top 6 break away the better, perhaps and that might be when finally the Premier League eats itself.

All good points and well made. However, we didn't need to go mad in the transfer market during the summer or really even try to participate in that madcap circus. A lot of fans could see where the sticking plasters needed applying and, for a reasonably modest outlay, it looked like we should be able to strengthen and augment where necessary.

To emerge from the close season with only a couple of loan signings and one injury-prone and arguably over-priced centre half made no apparent sense. And to put all our eggs in the Benteke basket was tantamount to suicide.

RAB
10-10-2017, 07:14 PM
All good points and well made. However, we didn't need to go mad in the transfer market during the summer or really even try to participate in that madcap circus. A lot of fans could see where the sticking plasters needed applying and, for a reasonably modest outlay, it looked like we should be able to strengthen and augment where necessary.

To emerge from the close season with only a couple of loan signings and one injury-prone and arguably over-priced centre half made no apparent sense. And to put all our eggs in the Benteke basket was tantamount to suicide.

Yes that's part of the mistakes I mentioned but I started by saying I don't want to blame the Board. It's always so clear looking back at what went wrong with anything. Mistakes for me are just symptoms of the problem not the cause of the problem. The problem is the Club's DNA.

Palace are basically out of their league. Effectively a Championship club with occasional forays up the football echelon. A Norman Wisdom making a stumbled stage entrance. The look of surprise at the vast audience with an embarrassed, scared smile that we are there by mistake but don't worry we're harmless and will be gone soon.

For a period, with luck, clubs like Palace are able to buck the trend and can mix it with the Elite but eventually reality bites. It was always a forlorn dream to think Palace would break into the top 8. The infrastructure is simply not here.

Losing managers like Pulis and Allardyce who probably would have given more stability are just symptomatic of the mountain Palace faces. Would Pulis have walked away or tried to cheat Southampton or Stoke? Would Allardyce have quit from either as he did here? Maybe. Maybe not. Without labouring over the reasons for those departures, this Board is under resourced to take those hits time and again.

Southampton's hidden wealth I'd guess is considerably more than Palace's. They and perhaps Stoke are probably the clubs Palace can reasonably look to compete with but it's making that step up which is proving so difficult. Palace don't have owners who advertise their business in the Sky live match breaks fronted by Ray Winstone.

If Palace had a billionaire owner with a vision for the Club it might be very different. Before anyone says, "we have two," think someone with Parish's passion as a fan but with all their money too. Not a part time interest which the American investors appear to have with Palace, just one of their many business pursuits.

Whatever one thinks of the Chelsea owner, he has so much wealth and investment ploughed in, he also seems passionately involved on match days.

In fact, comparison with Chelsea is a good way of making my point. A Board which takes decisions with the owner in the background but leaves no doubt that the big decisions are his.

Palace are light years from that.

I don't mean to invite comment that rejects the Chelsea way for Palace but at the same time, it is unfair I think to point to all the mistakes and blame Parish and the Board. The mistakes have been made in good faith I believe and are perhaps for the want of trying too hard.

Punching above your weight eventually causes you to drop your arms with fatigue.

Windsor_Eagle
10-10-2017, 07:24 PM
Brilliant posting RAB.

Eagle's Nest
10-10-2017, 07:38 PM
Brilliant posting RAB.

It is.

What it's made me remember is that I didn't start supporting Palace because I wanted to follow a top 8 football club. It was handed down through the family and galvanised by the quirks, the ups, the downs.

Tim
10-10-2017, 07:59 PM
The only off season we have had consistency has been the two summer Pardew was at the club, every otherone we have been dealt blows by manager's leaving unexpectanly.
We have needed to fight fires every year we have been up which takes up alot of the boards energy and funds. I dont know why people just assume staying in the top flight is easy. Pardew was the closest we came to consistency in the Premier League but then the fans wanted him sacked before the bored.

I think we need to look at ourselves and not just blame the board. Lets be honest it has been a tough time with certain events going against us, we have thrown everything at the problems and maybe it has just caught up with us this time. Im not ashamed; the club have delievered our longest spell in the top flight and a cup final, and is probably guilty of trying to grow too fast.

The only consistency we had by that second Summer under Pardew was losing. Not getting rid of him that summer has contributed to this mess!

JDawg
10-10-2017, 08:16 PM
Prefer having a relegation battle in the PL to the ones in the Championship.

JDawg
10-10-2017, 10:28 PM
Yes that's part of the mistakes I mentioned but I started by saying I don't want to blame the Board. It's always so clear looking back at what went wrong with anything. Mistakes for me are just symptoms of the problem not the cause of the problem. The problem is the Club's DNA.

Palace are basically out of their league. Effectively a Championship club with occasional forays up the football echelon. A Norman Wisdom making a stumbled stage entrance. The look of surprise at the vast audience with an embarrassed, scared smile that we are there by mistake but don't worry we're harmless and will be gone soon.

For a period, with luck, clubs like Palace are able to buck the trend and can mix it with the Elite but eventually reality bites. It was always a forlorn dream to think Palace would break into the top 8. The infrastructure is simply not here.

Losing managers like Pulis and Allardyce who probably would have given more stability are just symptomatic of the mountain Palace faces. Would Pulis have walked away or tried to cheat Southampton or Stoke? Would Allardyce have quit from either as he did here? Maybe. Maybe not. Without labouring over the reasons for those departures, this Board is under resourced to take those hits time and again.

Southampton's hidden wealth I'd guess is considerably more than Palace's. They and perhaps Stoke are probably the clubs Palace can reasonably look to compete with but it's making that step up which is proving so difficult. Palace don't have owners who advertise their business in the Sky live match breaks fronted by Ray Winstone.

If Palace had a billionaire owner with a vision for the Club it might be very different. Before anyone says, "we have two," think someone with Parish's passion as a fan but with all their money too. Not a part time interest which the American investors appear to have with Palace, just one of their many business pursuits.

Whatever one thinks of the Chelsea owner, he has so much wealth and investment ploughed in, he also seems passionately involved on match days.

In fact, comparison with Chelsea is a good way of making my point. A Board which takes decisions with the owner in the background but leaves no doubt that the big decisions are his.

Palace are light years from that.

I don't mean to invite comment that rejects the Chelsea way for Palace but at the same time, it is unfair I think to point to all the mistakes and blame Parish and the Board. The mistakes have been made in good faith I believe and are perhaps for the want of trying too hard.

Punching above your weight eventually causes you to drop your arms with fatigue.

Probably some truth but let me put a counter-argument.

I'd agree with all of the points above until the point that the club received fresh investment from investors who, for the first time ever, are neither from south London or had a previous connection with the club. Indeed I would imagine the only view of Palace they would have had is the premier league version but potentially sold to them on our view of the DNA - so a growth opportunity

The new investment financed the club for the next stage of our development and part of this has to include being in the Premier League. Why otherwise invest at Premier League Valuation?

This sort of investment comes with strings around governance so the Board is now Parish, Harris and Blitzer who now collectively own the majority of the club. So two new significant shareholders who haven't been around long enough to understand or indeed have ridden the roller coaster and with different perceptions. But they and Steve P get to make the big decisions on how to spend the money. It gets to sort them lots if they get it wrong.

This is the new reality. The club should now be adequately funded and have the governance to move us on. So the DNA has shifted. Consequently beyond December 2015 I don't believe the reality is that either the Board or the club is under-resourced. So if anything we are punching below our weight and to extend the analogy, the reason we are currently on the floor is because of poor decision making.

I do agree that we still see Palace in the terms couched by RAB, simply because that's what we're used to. So the perception of DNA is in one place whereas the bedrock of the club has shifted taking the actual DNA some place else. This creates a perception gap and it could could well be part of the issue. As a rule perception gaps are a pin in the arse as they can foster mistakes and cause monumental frustration. They are closed as things adjust to the new reality, but the journey can sometimes be painful.

Mistakes have been made on the basis of what seems albeit with hindsight to be some unusual decisions. In theory the collectively responsibility of three people taking risk with their own money should mitigate against this but isn't. So look at and invest in the infrastructure behind this decision making. In doing this you get to play catchup more quickly.

I'd emphasise that I like everyone else on the BBS have come up with conclusion based upon assumptions rather than data. There isn't any because we don't know what actually goes on behind the scenes. In my defence, I am not alone, nd part of what I do for a living is consult on governance so I have experience to fall back on. But it remains but a theory.

So to conclude I don't agree that either the Board or the club are under-resourced.However I do think there's an element of catchup between what we think we are and what we should be given our capital base and it's this process is causing one or two issues. We should be punching at a higher weight than we currently are.

It's all soluble, but it does take time.

Billy Rhino
10-10-2017, 11:33 PM
Both good posts but the problem I have with them is the idea that it is purely financial muscle that gets you success. It obviously has a significant impact but it more how you use the money. Look at the relative failure of Man City over the last few seasons despite the fact they're rolling in the stuff, and then there's Arsenal who seem to be on a downward slope.

To use the boxing analogy if we are to punch above our weight we need to be leaner and meaner than our opponents and learn to outwit them. Currently we're boxing with a hangover and a beer gut.

Random*
11-10-2017, 05:52 AM
It's important to stay in the Premier League for the next generation of fans.

Over the past 5 years I've seen a flourishing of Palace support amongst kids just finding their football legs. It's much easier for that to happen when the club is on match of the day and has a few live on TV games than without, and I really believe that Palace can be an identity for a lot of South London kids.

Outside of that, while you might say there's little to play for in the Premier League, we actually have a chance at a cup and play in full grounds every week. Whereas in the Championship we end up with half full grounds and crap players, and the cup run is a joke.

I remember the misery of Peter Taylor and Trevor Francis managed Championship sides and really don't want to go back to that again.

Mr Mojo Risin
11-10-2017, 06:54 AM
There are only about ten clubs who have a Premier League infrastructure - the top six, Everton, West Ham and Newcastle with Southampton and Stoke getting to that point. Although as Newcastle's and West Ham's relegations show, even these clubs are not immune and even large clubs like that can fall out of the top flight for a long time, such as Leeds and Aston Villa. The rest of the Premier League clubs are like us - a couple of bad decisions or a poor run of form from relegation. Unless we get a billionaire owner or manage to build and fill a 40,000 seater stadium (far easier said than done and I don't think Parish is to blame for that not happening) then that will never change.

cpfc4evandeva
11-10-2017, 07:03 AM
Both good posts but the problem I have with them is the idea that it is purely financial muscle that gets you success. It obviously has a significant impact but it more how you use the money. Look at the relative failure of Man City over the last few seasons despite the fact they're rolling in the stuff, and then there's Arsenal who seem to be on a downward slope.

To use the boxing analogy if we are to punch above our weight we need to be leaner and meaner than our opponents and learn to outwit them. Currently we're boxing with a hangover and a beer gut.

Yep. Look at Leicester a couple of seasons ago now. Was it a one-off? Undoubtedly yes. But they showed that with shrewd tactics and spending, success is possible.

I don't think that will ever happen again, and I also think that everything clicked for them that season. But you can't blame luck on the emergence of players like Vardy, Kante, Mahrez, Drinkwater, etc. It's not easy and I'll never pretend it is, but they spent their money well whilst we didn't.

Billy Rhino
11-10-2017, 07:41 AM
Back on subject the best game I went to last season was Sutton v Leeds. Although it's a tiny ground the atmosphere was great and a lot of their songs were what we used to sing back in the 80s and 90s.

Going to Selhurst really became a chore and it was only the social side of meetings friends for a beer that made it worthwhile (bar the Arsenal game of course). Due to me moving down to Sussex I'm having a break this season and I don't miss the games one bit.

JDawg
11-10-2017, 08:00 AM

I Think we agree. Not so sure about this is purely down to finance. The point I was making was that we are now financially set up to compete but haven't done the best job in spending to deliver. Shifting the collective mindset to perhaps what the new owners view as reality is probably part of this.

3 Beers at HT
11-10-2017, 08:31 AM
The Swansea 'supporter's' perspective in the opening post sums up everything wrong with football.

Where was he 15 years ago when they were losing every week in the 4th division?

cpfc4evandeva
11-10-2017, 09:01 AM
The Swansea 'supporter's' perspective in the opening post sums up everything wrong with football.

Where was he 15 years ago when they were losing every week in the 4th division?

My guess is that he was watching his side? Unless I missed something in the article?

I'm confused by your post.

DARZET EAGLE
11-10-2017, 11:47 AM
Probably some truth but let me put a counter-argument.

I'd agree with all of the points above until the point that the club received fresh investment from investors who, for the first time ever, are neither from south London or had a previous connection with the club. Indeed I would imagine the only view of Palace they would have had is the premier league version but potentially sold to them on our view of the DNA - so a growth opportunity

The new investment financed the club for the next stage of our development and part of this has to include being in the Premier League. Why otherwise invest at Premier League Valuation?

This sort of investment comes with strings around governance so the Board is now Parish, Harris and Blitzer who now collectively own the majority of the club. So two new significant shareholders who haven't been around long enough to understand or indeed have ridden the roller coaster and with different perceptions. But they and Steve P get to make the big decisions on how to spend the money. It gets to sort them lots if they get it wrong.

This is the new reality. The club should now be adequately funded and have the governance to move us on. So the DNA has shifted. Consequently beyond December 2015 I don't believe the reality is that either the Board or the club is under-resourced. So if anything we are punching below our weight and to extend the analogy, the reason we are currently on the floor is because of poor decision making.

I do agree that we still see Palace in the terms couched by RAB, simply because that's what we're used to. So the perception of DNA is in one place whereas the bedrock of the club has shifted taking the actual DNA some place else. This creates a perception gap and it could could well be part of the issue. As a rule perception gaps are a pin in the arse as they can foster mistakes and cause monumental frustration. They are closed as things adjust to the new reality, but the journey can sometimes be painful.

Mistakes have been made on the basis of what seems albeit with hindsight to be some unusual decisions. In theory the collectively responsibility of three people taking risk with their own money should mitigate against this but isn't. So look at and invest in the infrastructure behind this decision making. In doing this you get to play catchup more quickly.

I'd emphasise that I like everyone else on the BBS have come up with conclusion based upon assumptions rather than data. There isn't any because we don't know what actually goes on behind the scenes. In my defence, I am not alone, nd part of what I do for a living is consult on governance so I have experience to fall back on. But it remains but a theory.

So to conclude I don't agree that either the Board or the club are under-resourced.However I do think there's an element of catchup between what we think we are and what we should be given our capital base and it's this process is causing one or two issues. We should be punching at a higher weight than we currently are.

It's all soluble, but it does take time.

Another very considered post, particularly the part highlighted. But I guess that is the point, we all make assumptions driven by media rumour and messageboards such as this.