PDA

View Full Version : Player Ratings And Reviews: Chelsea (H)

Pages : [1] 2

costello
14-10-2017, 04:23 PM
I can’t remember a performance better than Andros Townsend’s today. Outstanding.

mexicaneagle
14-10-2017, 04:24 PM
I can’t remember a performance better than Andros Townsend’s today. Outstanding.

He worked his nuts off

alanlee11
14-10-2017, 04:30 PM
An incredible performance from the whole team. They played as a unit, the passing was so much better today, they really tried to find more angles and trust each other. I can't believe it, one of those games you will remember for a long time

danpalace07
14-10-2017, 04:31 PM
PALACE ARE BACK!

all of them were outstanding, finally they turn up and make us proud this season. Incredible.

Our work off the ball was fantastic

danpalace07
14-10-2017, 04:32 PM

The man was relentless!

bubbs11
14-10-2017, 04:33 PM
Andros was great but thought Luca might've edged him.

LDNEAGLE
14-10-2017, 04:35 PM
Best team on the field for at least 70 minutes. Great performance all round.

Happy days :lux:

newish eagle
14-10-2017, 04:38 PM
The work rate and togetherness was outstanding! Simply superb performance and great to have the lads stay on the pitch and suck it all up. Confidence is king!

carter
14-10-2017, 04:40 PM
That is the Palace we know and love. Was expecting the worse today but wanted a committed performance and we got it. Everyone was 10/10 today. The great thing is is that Chelsea didn’t even play poorly.

Andros Townsend is everything a Palace player is about I love him and if my plane was about to crash and burn then I’d want Mamadou Sakho as pilot.

Enjoy your weekend and MOTD!

andyocpfc
14-10-2017, 04:50 PM
Amazing, just amazing - lost for words. I haven’t seen us play like that for ages (feels like years). I’d almost forgotten we could do all that shit. All the boys should take a bow.

Jim Cannon
14-10-2017, 04:54 PM
Well what do you know - now that we have abandoned the tedious passing it back to the keeper and started playing in a style that suits are players we get a good performance. What impressed me most is you would not have thought we had been on such a shocking run right from the off - we looked better organised and the players were up for it. There were still some mistakes but feck it, it's great to get a win and getting it over a top side should do wonders for confidence.

trufan
14-10-2017, 04:55 PM
Amazing, just amazing - lost for words. I haven’t seen us play like that for ages (feels like years). I’d almost forgotten we could do all that shit. All the boys should take a bow.

Yep, and take this result into the coming games, please. One swallow doesn't make a late autumn revival . . . or something.

Wolfnipplechips
14-10-2017, 05:05 PM
We have our Palace back.

It's as simple as that.

Neckinger Eagle
14-10-2017, 05:08 PM
Well, that was terrific!

montrealeagle
14-10-2017, 05:10 PM
Magnificent, absolutely magnificent. What a wonderful way to remind everyone in Croydon that Chelsea is NOT their local side !!!!!!

hatter8142
14-10-2017, 05:10 PM
Yep, and take this result into the coming games, please. One swallow doesn't make a late autumn revival . . . or something.

It makes your evening tho.

Hector
14-10-2017, 05:17 PM
Brilliant. Play like that and we have a chance

Thefunkymonk
14-10-2017, 05:31 PM
Absolutely top performance. Get ******* in.

We have our palace back peeps

Lordbenny
14-10-2017, 05:35 PM
Andros MOTM without a doubt 10/10, he was immense. Mama, Wardy, Wilf, Jules, Luka, Yohan, Jimmy Mac all get a 9...the rest get an 8. One of the bravest performances I’ve ever seen from a Palace team.....sitting at home now with a pint....still on a mahoosive high

alanlee11
14-10-2017, 05:35 PM
Townsend.

nicobos
14-10-2017, 05:36 PM
Brilliant performance and passing was noticeably better than recent weeks ! Scoring gave us confidence and at least we had something to fight for with us not conceding early on.

Great team performance by all and hard t think that was the same team that played against Huddersfield / Swansea.

Just shows that our players have not been playing up to the level they can so far this season and what a bit of organisation can do.

Even without a recognised striker, with Zaha and Townsend we always looked a threat coming forward and gave chelsea plenty of problems.

Play like this for the rest of the season and we’ll be comfortably mid table.

RisZero
14-10-2017, 05:36 PM
Giving mine to Zaha but a few could have taken it

Zohar's Penalty
14-10-2017, 05:39 PM
A lot of good performances but Townsend and Zaha both superb- as in 11/10 good.

Given the context of how bad our start has been, that win could even be up in the top 10 most satisfying I've watched in 25 years at Selhurst Park.

Buzzing.

Reg_Maudling
14-10-2017, 05:40 PM
Andros Townsend was amazing such effort and such heart

jimos_uk
14-10-2017, 05:42 PM
Watched on US TV - voted for Ward. His performance, and a number of very significant blocks, kept us ahead. He was outstanding.

Townsend was brilliant, Wilf was brilliant, they were all brilliant, but I felt that Joel turned around from some poor performances and showed us exactly why he's been such an important player these last few years.

Obv, everyone was awesome.

mrB
14-10-2017, 05:42 PM
We have it in our locker - Palace to stay up, Brighton and the like will worry. Voted Wilf his goal and influence but Andros, Luka or Cabaye could have it as well....

penguin7
14-10-2017, 05:43 PM
Wilf and Andros obvious choices, but the much maligned Joel Ward, despite a couple of mistakes, was outstanding. Put in 110% to the end when most of those around him were out on their feet.

Neillo's Son
One of many superb performances but I thought Puncheon was fantastic when he came on. I groaned when I saw his number pop up but he really led our counter attacks well at the end.

glenn.f
I went for Townsend but Wilf, Cabaye, Luka, Dann and Sakho were all top notch and i also thought Schlupp, Macca and Ward weren't far behind either. Just what a performance. Will be a Chinese and the missus to celebrate tonight and i've got to go and pick up the junior plastic from town shortly, bet the little twot doesn't even know the score but he will do once he gets in the car

Reg_Maudling
MacArthur was also brilliant today

Reg_Maudling
14-10-2017, 05:44 PM
Ward huge improvement today

Old Bill
14-10-2017, 05:45 PM
When Chelsea equalised, our boys might have thought ‘here we go again’, lost focus and conceded a few more. They didn’t. That’s a huge achievement.

I thought there were some signs of low confidence - e.g. inaccurate shooting - but the result should help turn that round. Zaha and Townsend were outstanding and I thought Sakho, Schlupp and Milivojevic had excellent games. We did very well at getting the ball and denying Chelsea the chance to develop attacks.

Substitutions were well judged at a time when some of the players were looking tired and Chelsea were getting on top.

Al From Bromley
Tens all round. Right from the off they were up for it. They were like a different team to the last seven games. Amazing the difference a couple of weeks learning a new system that everyone is comfortable with makes. Yes, woeful defending for Chelsea's goal but other than that and Sakho's mindless attempt at a back heeled clearance late on they were the better side. Special mention to Joel Ward who has come in for a lot of stick of late. He made a couple of goal saving challenges today.

PT109
Speroni - On dis ting
Ward - On dis ting
Dann - On dis ting
Sakho - On dis ting
van Aanholt - On dis ting
McArthur - On dis ting
Cabaye - On dis ting
Milivojevic - On dis ting
Schlupp - On dis ting
Townsend - On some ting
Zaha - On some ting

Fans - On dat ting

cdm61
14-10-2017, 05:47 PM
I take my hat off to the coaching staff and players - that was a quality performance - we passed the ball really well with hardly a long ball in the game - 3 or 4 would not have flattered us.

Alfie's army
14-10-2017, 05:49 PM
Townsend just shaded it for me today , thought schlupp had he's best game for us

Cpfcbob
14-10-2017, 05:49 PM
Speroni - On dis ting
Ward - On dis ting
Dann - On dis ting
Sakho - On dis ting
van Aanholt - On dis ting
McArthur - On dis ting
Cabaye - On dis ting
Milivojevic - On dis ting
Schlupp - On dis ting
Townsend - On some ting
Zaha - On some ting

Fans - On dat ting
Sure you're not on some ting?

Jezza
14-10-2017, 05:51 PM
Great performances all round. Special mentions to Luka and Wilf who showed why they are the first two names on the teamsheet for me.

But I gave MOTM to Joel Ward for his last ditch blocks, probably saved two certain goals. Well done to Hodgson for picking him over TFM.

SE25 exile
How is Tekkers going to fit in when fit?

SOUTHGATE EAGLE
Andros MOTM without a doubt 10/10, he was immense. Mama, Wardy, Wilf, Jules, Luka, Yohan, Jimmy Mac all get a 9...the rest get an 8. One of the bravest performances I’ve ever seen from a Palace team.....sitting at home now with a pint....still on a mahoosive high

I think Wilf edged it over Andros but what was great was that Jimmy Mac, Luka and Sahko all were serious contenders. For once, we got the luck and can see this as a bonus three points in the grand scheme. RLC coming back too which is a bonus and a few more winnable games. Onwards and upwards and let's make sure we are still a viable Premiership team come January ( when that bloody chequebook better come out for a striker and GK minimum. )

firesign
14-10-2017, 05:53 PM
I can’t decide between Andros Zaha or Wilf Townsend.

Forever Stripes
14-10-2017, 05:55 PM
I went for Townsend but Wilf, Cabaye, Luka, Dann and Sakho were all top notch and i also thought Schlupp, Macca and Ward weren't far behind either. Just what a performance.

This saves me writing exactly what I thought.

Mine was fish and chips though and now a beer! :lux::lux::lux:

Zulu84
14-10-2017, 05:56 PM
Give all of them 10 except VanAanholt who I thought was pretty shocking and lacked the 100 percent, do or die commitment his team mates showed. Will be happy to see Pape back there sooner rather than later.

jimmy the gent
14-10-2017, 05:57 PM
Mate's comment on Luka was a good one i thought "f*cking hell, that Serb loves a tackle". Absolute guvnor.

NorthPalace23
Speroni 7 Some smart saves with his hands. Gives the fans a lift with his presence.

Ward 7 I think he dealt with the threats down his side well. He bombed forward a few times, even at the end.
Dann 7 I would have selected Tomkins. However, credit to Dann he was great today. That was Dann close to his best. I haven't seen that level from him for a long time. Took a great booking as well.
Sakho 8 One dodgy moment in the 1st half when he over played it. Great assist for the 2nd! Generally passed well and gives the team calmness.
PVA 6 Should have scored at the end-but credit to him for being there, especially at the end of the game. Seemed like our left side was open all game-not sure why?

Townsend 8 Put the ball into the box which led to our 1st goal. Worked unbelieveably hard. Won vital free kicks and tackles to ease the pressure.
McArthur 7 Bundles of energy. Gave us some bite in midfield.
Cabaye 8 His shot led to our goal. He used the ball intellegently. Great movement.
Milivojevic 7 Another one close to being back to his best after being ruined by De Fraud. Love the booking he took. Stood up to the techincal threats of Fabregas/Willian and the physical threat of Bakayoko.
Schlupp 7 Won a few headers. Worked hard off the ball.

Zaha 9 Motm What a goal! Gave his all and somehow lasted the whole game. Caused them problems all game with creativity and movement. Wish he would shoot more though. A few times he took too many touches.

Subs:

Puncheon 6 Kept the ball well. Should have shot-scored.
Fosu-Mensah 6 Should have scored but credit for being in the right position.
Reidewald 6 Prefer him in midfield. Helped us see out the game.

Fans 10.

Wow wow wow. That really was great! One of the best atmospheres and games ever.

eaglejez
where the hell did that performance come from ?!! :):)

Wolfnipplechips
14-10-2017, 05:58 PM
Hodgson for me.

Look at what he's done.

This team has been hammered for weeks and the fact that 11 of them can perform like that is testament to wily old Roy.

Davy64
14-10-2017, 05:59 PM
that goal was like punch scoring at wembley

nicobos
Ps: wilf’s Goal definitely Palace goal of the season so far :lux:

jimmy the gent
MacArthur was also brilliant today

Indeed. Didn't pull off anything necessarily eye catching, but his tracking and pressing was superb. Great to see him back to how he was a year ago.

Reg_Maudling
14-10-2017, 06:00 PM
Even can arnholt played better today than usual (meaning he wasn't atrocious) ray Lewington will be doing all he can to get him to play like a decent footballer "Good Boy Patrick!"

mylona
14-10-2017, 06:02 PM
Two things about today's game.

1. Having agonised over team selection I would not have come up with 4 4 2 and Wilf and Andros up front. But it was brilliant.

2. If Benteke had played, I think it would have been a different game and result.

OriginalNutter
14-10-2017, 06:04 PM
Give all of them 10 except VanAanholt who I thought was pretty shocking and lacked the 100 percent, do or die commitment his team mates showed. Will be happy to see Pape back there sooner rather than later.

This. Just shows what commitment over 90mins can do. Chelsea didn't like the constant pressing. They couldn't get control of the game and we're not used to a team bringing it to them and showing no fear.

palace_burger
14-10-2017, 06:04 PM
where the hell did that performance come from ?!! :):)

Our boy Roy

Notably not be FDB signing in the starting 11

DaveS
14-10-2017, 06:05 PM
Defence had much more confidence in Jules than they have had in Wayne. Offside trap worked well.

Zulu84
14-10-2017, 06:05 PM
Stupid bbc has the title 'relive Chelsea win over Palace'.

PT109
14-10-2017, 06:10 PM
Sure you're not on some ting?

Nah mate not at all. Forgot to rate Roy though.

Hodgson - did some tings

EdMan
14-10-2017, 06:11 PM
Felt like the first day of a new season for me. Players all looked comfortable on the ball and committed. Fully deserved. Will/Andros MOM. No way could FdB ever have got that performance out of the team.

Thefunkymonk
14-10-2017, 06:12 PM
Luka and cabaye were sensational in midfield today

glaziers fan
14-10-2017, 06:12 PM
Speroni 6 kicking poor but solid with little to do

PVA 7 got forward well and defended well. Should have scored.
Sakho 8 an assist and decent defending
Dann 7 solid
Ward 7 solid

Schlupp 7 good. More desire.
Milivojevic 7 edited. On hindsight he deserves a 7.
Cabaye 8 ran the game
McArthur 7 huge shift

Townsend 8 give him space and he will hurt you
Zaha 9 MOM great finish. Should have had two more but will let him off.

Zaha is going to save us again! Cabaye was excellent btw

teesdale99
14-10-2017, 06:16 PM

1. Having agonised over team selection I would not have come up with 4 4 2 and Wilf and Andros up front. But it was brilliant.

2. If Benteke had played, I think it would have been a different game and result.
Very good point. Astute management. We looked technically assured, passed the ball well and most importantly got stuck into challenges and everyone gave a noticeable extra 10% - midfield 4 worked their socks off and showed a lot of composure. The partnership of Luka and cabaye that looked so promising last year once again thrived and can only benefit from the energy and pace of rlc.

Dann solid, Ward better against players without electric pace, sakho produced the same kind of dominant and classy performance that turned our season round last year after 2 sluggish performances v manc clubs post injury.

As many people have been suggesting for over a year the mere presence of speroni gave the fans a huge lift and seemed to give the defence a little more confidence.

Wilf did what wilf does. A real pleasure to watch his skill and pace.

Star of the day was Andros. Created so many chances with pace on the counter, retained possession brilliantly and, most importantly of all didn't stop running. That sort of energy and commitment is infectious.

4 or 5 - 1 wouldn't have flattered us. Great atmosphere too.

Expat Eagle
14-10-2017, 06:16 PM
Defence had much more confidence in Jules than they have had in Wayne. Offside trap worked well.

It would be unkind to suggest Wayne as MoM this week, wouldn't it?

Just fantastic to get our Palace back. So happy. :supergrin:

teesdale99
14-10-2017, 06:18 PM
Felt like the first day of a new season for me. Players all looked comfortable on the ball and committed. Fully deserved. Will/Andros MOM. No way could FdB ever have got that performance out of the team.
Agree, it's the sort of team, formation, organisation and commitment we would have had if bfs had remained in charge. Important to keep those levels and that passion going.

teesdale99
14-10-2017, 06:20 PM

Dann 7 solid
Ward 7 solid

Milivojevic 6 did a job
Cabaye 8 ran the game
McArthur 7 huge shift

I'd be a bit miffed if I was Luka and reading this. 6? He was fantastic, snuffed out so many attacks and had great composure on the ball. Please review!!

Mark Gardiner
14-10-2017, 06:22 PM
Voted for Townsend although Schlupp & Wilf also excellent.

Had kittens when Sakho back-heeled in his own box!

A lot must go down to Hodgson & Lewington who wrung a stupendously hard-working performance from a team with shattered confidence. The absence of Benteke may have helped in giving no easy option so team had to pass thru midfield or exploit round the flanks.

JDawg
14-10-2017, 06:26 PM
Dreading going today. Sat in the HU thinking WTF after 5 minutes. Where has this been all season. We finally looked organised and could have easily got a couple more.

Their goal was irritating as it was pretty soft, however that was a great performance and a good win. Cut out some of the showboating, get fitter and you just never know.

And if Chelsea took us lightly as has been suggested. Well this shows that they are arrogant ***** and they got what they deserved.

Townsend MOTM easily and nobody had a bad game.

917L
14-10-2017, 06:27 PM
Overall a great performance but a couple of things

Watch PVA for the Chelsea goal, absolutely abysmal

Sackhos backheel across the goalmouth in injury time one of the dumbest things I've ever seen a footballer do.

Speroni helped the crowds nerves and avoided the pathetic ironic cheers Wayne gets but was no better than Henessey. We still need a true no 1 keeper

The much maligned Ward was superb, as was Cabaye. Dann appeared to be back to something like his best as well

Wilf my MOM though

917L
14-10-2017, 06:28 PM
I'd be a bit miffed if I was Luka and reading this. 6? He was fantastic, snuffed out so many attacks and had great composure on the ball. Please review!!

Especially when he gave our worst player PVA a 7

Al From Bromley
14-10-2017, 06:28 PM
Sackhos backheel across the goalmouth in injury time one of the dumbest things I've ever seen a footballer do.

You're not wrong! So lucky to get away with that.

minch1
14-10-2017, 06:34 PM
Amazing quick passing in the midfield. Very impressive Roy.

CPFC.1990
14-10-2017, 06:39 PM
Speroni 8. Inspires confidence. Smart saves and much more of a leader for the defence. Showed us what we need.

Ward 8. THAT tackle to stop a certain Hazard goal was just incredible.

Dann 8. Back to the old Dann, more than likely due to him having confidence in the Goalie.

Sakho 8 for the assist. Would have been a 4 if that back heel had led to a goal. Very erratic performance.

PVA 5. Feel bad for singling him out but his marking was nonexistent, he missed a sitter and was generally the weak link in an otherwise excellent display from the rest.

Luka 8. Back to his best.

Cabaye 8. A cultured display, looked the best midfielder out there.

McArthur 7. Solid display, worked so hard for the middle.

Schlupp 7. Same as McArthur.

Zaha 10. Just brilliant, from start to finish. Chelsea clearly didn't do their homework on him. Made Luiz look like a pub player.

Townsend 9. So good and such passion. Pleasure to watch.

Brilliant result, Roy showed his intelligence with those tactics. Chelsea couldn't cope with us.

Ogilvy
Townsend just shaded it for me today , thought schlupp had he's best game for us

Thought the same, he set a real tempo and was up for this game more than I've seen from him.

The Omen
Speroni 8

Ward 9
Dann 8
Sakho 8
PVA 6

Townsend 9
McArthur 8
Cabaye 8
Milivojevic 7
Schlupp 7

Zaha 10

Subs:

Puncheon 7
Fosu-Mensah 6
Reidewald 6

917L
14-10-2017, 06:43 PM
Speroni 8

Ward 9
Dann 8
Sakho 8
PVA 6

Townsend 9
McArthur 8
Cabaye 8
Milivojevic 7
Schlupp 7

Zaha 10

Subs:

Puncheon 7
Fosu-Mensah 6
Reidewald 6

Speroni a higher Mark than Luka or Schlupp, mental

bunter
14-10-2017, 06:43 PM
Just class from start to finish! So happy to have the real palace spirit back!

Motm for me is Zaha but all the players gave everything today. Excellent!

Skintagain
14-10-2017, 06:44 PM
Fantastic work rate, what we've been missing in every game so far. If they work that hard every match we won't have a problem.

Oh yeah, shooting practice.

Skintagain
14-10-2017, 06:46 PM
Like the subs as well, Chelski were beginning to get on top and looked like scoring but the double sub of Fosu and Reidewald turned it back around.

Skintagain
14-10-2017, 06:47 PM
What a difference a Wilf makes.

andyocpfc
14-10-2017, 06:50 PM
Amazing performance and I’m on cloud nine tonight but we’ve got to stop being a arrogant at times and thinking we’re Brazil of old and can walk our way out of defence. They put my head in my hands time and again and as for Sakho (the man is amazing ftr) but bloody Aida, wtf were you doing man. There is nothing ugly about putting your foot through the ball.

Top marks all round and I’m so chuffed for Roy and Steve P too as they and we all need something to smile about. I just pray we don’t have ‘after the lord mayor’s show’ next week....not least because I’m flying up to support the lads on and it’s a long way home [emoji16]

CPFC.1990
14-10-2017, 06:51 PM
The only threat Chelsea offered was from an excellent Fabregas. Maybe I was expecting something from them ala Man City but they were shite.

Excowboy
14-10-2017, 06:52 PM
4-4-2. Who knew?

Ruskin Old Boy
14-10-2017, 06:59 PM
Townsend all the way. From start to finish he was superb.

Zaha, Luka, Cabaye and Ward also in the mix.

Will be fascinating to see what the line up is next match as Hodgson is likely to go for the win at Newcastle.

redsox
14-10-2017, 07:01 PM
Sakhos backheel in injury time was sublime, no one expected it!!!

mcmean
14-10-2017, 07:02 PM
Jules 8. Installs confidence in both the fans and the defence in front of him. It’s nice to feel comfortable and not on edge with him in goal again. Dispelled all thoughts myths about his distribution, aimed for Schlupp every time.

Ward 8. The best performance I’ve seen from Joel for a long time. That tackle was unbelievable

Dann 7. Solid, I would have gone for Tomkins ahead of the game though

Sakho 7. Would have been an 8 if not for the stupid trick near the end of the game. Credit to him for chasing after his mistake that led to Zahas goal

PVA 5. Left his side open all game and really should have at least hit the target with that late effort

Luka 7. Solid sweeping up, but frustrated me in trying to do a little too much when a simple option was open, leading to giving the ball away 4/5 times with the same error

Jimmy Mac 8. A deeper right wing role for him really suited him I thought.

Cabaye 8. Outstanding, but he was shattered by the hour mark. Looked very heavy legged

Schlupp 8. Was told to be the target man and did what he could with his height. Probably the best performance I’ve seen from him in a Palace shirt

Townsend. 9. Mom for me. The chased everything, what a difference from the Andros from the first half of last season. Well done that man

Zaha 9. Class, pure class. Was dead on his feet from about 65 mins. I think Hodgson was being harsh on him not taking him off, perhaps toughening him up for the coming weeks as he’ll be our main man?

Hodgson 9. A masterclass in game management in the second half. Well done Rozza

SOUTHGATE EAGLE
14-10-2017, 07:03 PM

Dann 7 solid
Ward 7 solid

Milivojevic 6 did a job
Cabaye 8 ran the game
McArthur 7 huge shift

The scary thing is we still don't know how to create and penetrate effectively without Wilf in the team as the statistics consistently show. We desperately need another strong creative influence in the team because ( aside from making us better! ) I can't see Wilf lasting the rest of the season without more knocks. He is becoming very much feared now and many clubs will kick him from pillar to post. Someone to take up the creative slack for Wilf is as big a must as a forward and keeper, IMHO.

Millip
14-10-2017, 07:04 PM
Cabaye MOM for me, though nearly players all excellent. Thought our left side of PVA & Schlupp not cohesive and let Chelsea have far too much space. Sakho good, then almost cocked it up.

Wilf absolutely shattered after an hour, would have scored more if fit.

Great game, especially the midfield passing in the first half.

Palace121
14-10-2017, 07:04 PM

I’m a bit confused. What did Speroni do wrong? One bad bit of control and a couple of poor kicks. Everything else he did well. Couldn’t do anything about the goal.

Schlupp has one of his better games but turned in to trouble a few times. One time having the ball nabbed off him by Willian and setting Chelsea on a dangerous counter.

Palace121
14-10-2017, 07:06 PM
Cabaye MOM for me, though nearly players all excellent. Thought our left side of PVA & Schlupp not cohesive and let Chelsea have far too much space. Sakho good, then almost cocked it up.

Wilf absolutely shattered after an hour, would have scored more if fit.

Great game, especially the midfield passing in the first half.

I think it was clear to see that our game plan was to be compact. We let them have space on the wing. We didn’t mind them crossing the ball in as they didn’t have a big man up there.

penguin7
14-10-2017, 07:07 PM
'Me and Andros Townsend aren't strikers so we run all over the gaff, but the boss told us that if one had the ball the other needs to get himself into the box.'

Great comment from Wilf ! Made me think of Wright and Bright at their best. 442 may not be in fashion, but it is great to watch when it works.

Alfonso
14-10-2017, 07:07 PM
Outstanding performance from the whole team! COYP!

Jim Cannon
14-10-2017, 07:08 PM
Townsend all the way. From start to finish he was superb.

Zaha, Luka, Cabaye and Ward also in the mix.

Will be fascinating to see what the line up is next match as Hodgson is likely to go for the win at Newcastle.

To get it would be sweet. The last time we won there was 20 years ago after a woeful run of 11 defeats in a row IIRC. I'd snap your hand off for a point right now though

Krise
14-10-2017, 07:11 PM

Luka was one of the best players today, but what exactly did Speroni do wrong except one misdirected kick that went out for a Chelsea throw?

And btw, Speroni got a 9 here (by Jim Daly): http://www.football.london/crystal-palace-fc/players/crystal-palace-2-1-chelsea-13762358

bigend1
14-10-2017, 07:11 PM
Speroni 8. Inspires confidence. Smart saves and much more of a leader for the defence. Showed us what we need.

Ward 8. THAT tackle to stop a certain Hazard goal was just incredible.

Dann 8. Back to the old Dann, more than likely due to him having confidence in the Goalie.

Sakho 8 for the assist. Would have been a 4 if that back heel had led to a goal. Very erratic performance.

PVA 5. Feel bad for singling him out but his marking was nonexistent, he missed a sitter and was generally the weak link in an otherwise excellent display from the rest.

Luka 8. Back to his best.

Cabaye 8. A cultured display, looked the best midfielder out there.

McArthur 7. Solid display, worked so hard for the middle.

Schlupp 7. Same as McArthur.

Zaha 10. Just brilliant, from start to finish. Chelsea clearly didn't do their homework on him. Made Luiz look like a pub player.

Townsend 9. So good and such passion. Pleasure to watch.

Brilliant result, Roy showed his intelligence with those tactics. Chelsea couldn't cope with us.

That's about right for me.

I think pva can be a good player but he stops concentrating! Just of his **** ups almost all were when he stops and watches. The goal especially but he nearly nearly played them inside about 4 times when everyone else stepped up bar him. Concentrate and he'll be good

Great performance otherwise

Cabaye, zaha, ward, Townsend and Luka excellent.

Actually so we're the rest

bubbs11
14-10-2017, 07:18 PM
Ps: wilf’s Goal definitely Palace goal of the season so far :lux:

Yeah, but Azpilicueta runs it a close second. :)

Big Gav
14-10-2017, 07:19 PM
Great movement, desire and passion by the team today something that has seemed to be sadly missing for much of the season so far. Well pleased beating that lot

st albans
14-10-2017, 07:24 PM
Andros was great but thought Luca might've edged him.

I can't believe how few votes he's got. Was one of the best defensive midfielder performances I've seen in the prem for years. Tackle after tackle, and proper tackles to. Very little got passed him

Yoda
14-10-2017, 07:26 PM
Don’t think we’d have won without Wilf, as he lifts the team and gives us all hope that something positive could occur.

However, Wilf wouldn’t get the chance to do his stuff without the sheer hard effort of those around him breaking up Chelsea’s possession and winning the ball, and I’m sure he’d agree.

So, I’m giving my MoM vote to Luka, who constantly disrupted Chelsea and gave his best performance of this season.

(Thought Yohan had a brilliant 70 mins too.)

CPFC.1990
14-10-2017, 07:27 PM
I’m a bit confused. What did Speroni do wrong? One bad bit of control and a couple of poor kicks. Everything else he did well. Couldn’t do anything about the goal.

Schlupp has one of his better games but turned in to trouble a few times. One time having the ball nabbed off him by Willian and setting Chelsea on a dangerous counter.

He's on a wind up.....

Frisky
14-10-2017, 07:27 PM
Great movement

This for me. The best I have seen Palace players move off the ball for years. Thank you Roy/Ray.

cranesparkeagle
14-10-2017, 07:29 PM
what a tonic I ve hada prostate problem since August but on Monday I had the op. Now Zaha is back and Palace beat Chelsea. Hope is an omen and Palace and I recover together. Had to sit this out as energy levels still low and feel Im missing a party. Never mind

st albans
14-10-2017, 07:29 PM

Dann 7 solid
Ward 7 solid

Milivojevic 6 did a job
Cabaye 8 ran the game
McArthur 7 huge shift

Pva better than luka?!?!! Pva was shite

palacemetros
14-10-2017, 07:36 PM
The ground that Cabaye covered today! Does so much off the ball as well as on it.

Impressive team performance but Cabaye just edges it for me.

El Aguila
14-10-2017, 07:36 PM
Is there a link to watch the game? I was on a bus through Castile, following on Twitter.

rambo1
14-10-2017, 07:40 PM
Excellent Performance.
Good Quick Passing & Movement,when in Possession,& Great Closing Down,when out.
Felt,Wilf Zaha,just Edged,MoM,from Andros Townsend.
Great Goal.

palacemetros
14-10-2017, 07:40 PM
Is there a link to watch the game? I was on a bus through Castile, following on Twitter.

You missed possibly the best team performance in the last 3 years. Some of the football was sublime. In fact, I'm not even sure I was at Selhurst today???

SKATE
14-10-2017, 07:42 PM
what a tonic I ve hada prostate problem since August but on Monday I had the op. Now Zaha is back and Palace beat Chelsea. Hope is an omen and Palace and I recover together. Had to sit this out as energy levels still low and feel Im missing a party. Never mind
Wishing you a Zaha style recovery!

CaterhamEagle
14-10-2017, 07:43 PM

Dann 7 solid
Ward 7 solid

Milivojevic 6 did a job
Cabaye 8 ran the game
McArthur 7 huge shift

If you think Luka was a 6 you need to watch the game back again. Possibly his best performance in a Palace shirt.

Townsend my MOTM, Wilf, Luka, Cabaye and McArthur all also fatastic but nobody had a bad gsme

Sidney Kickit
14-10-2017, 07:45 PM
Thought the Ball Boy near the corner of the Holmesdale / Main Stand played a blinder hanging onto the ball and rolling it away from Courtois wasting a few precious seconds.

jobiinthelastmi
14-10-2017, 07:46 PM
Dann had a good game.

Could he finally be back to his best?

IanH
14-10-2017, 07:46 PM
As someone said near us today, whatever happens to Palace this season, Zaha won’t be with us next season. By far the best player on either side today. If he hadn’t got injured against Huddersfield we would be comfortably mid-table now. As for the rest, everyone put in a shift. Roy will organise these players to contain the top teams. The challenge we will have is beating the teams around us.

Joooe
14-10-2017, 07:48 PM
I voted Cabaye, but it's hard to single out one player as the whole team was quality.

We moved so quickly to win the ball, even though he missed Van Aanholt suddenly breaking through the defence to get to that rebound summed it up.

palacelad197o
14-10-2017, 07:50 PM
You missed possibly the best team performance in the last 3 years. Some of the football was sublime. In fact, I'm not even sure I was at Selhurst today???

:p

Ridcully
14-10-2017, 08:09 PM
Townsend, simply sensational the whole game

Zaha, unplayable first half, great comeback

Sakho, marvellous

Speroni, a God

Zulu84
14-10-2017, 08:14 PM
As someone said near us today, whatever happens to Palace this season, Zaha won’t be with us next season. By far the best player on either side today. If he hadn’t got injured against Huddersfield we would be comfortably mid-table now. As for the rest, everyone put in a shift. Roy will organise these players to contain the top teams. The challenge we will have is beating the teams around us.

Don't think so, not even wilf could have saved us from the shambles that frank had us in

Urine Mattress
14-10-2017, 08:16 PM
Not just enjoyable in terms of getting a victory against a 'bigger' team - but it wasn't just a backs to the wall, hope to snatch something from a set piece smash and grab type job. We stood with them, toe to toe, had the confidence to pass it around and worked like hell when we didn't have the ball.

Inevitably, we tired a bit during the game but finished strongly and withstood everything that they had to offer. Zaha was unplayable at times, and in a game supposedly chock full of 'world class players' in terms of the opposition, he was the best player on the pitch.

For better or for worse, these players clearly seem to respond to being well drilled and knowing their clearly defined roles. Hopefully this is an indication of RH's oft-mentioned relentless team drills finally taking effect, and not a false dawn.

PT109
14-10-2017, 08:21 PM
Not just enjoyable in terms of getting a victory against a 'bigger' team - but it wasn't just a backs to the wall, hope to snatch something from a set piece smash and grab type job. We stood with them, toe to toe, had the confidence to pass it around and worked like hell when we didn't have the ball.

Inevitably, we tired a bit during the game but finished strongly and withstood everything that they had to offer. Zaha was unplayable at times, and in a game supposedly chock full of 'world class players' in terms of the opposition, he was the best player on the pitch.

For better or for worse, these players clearly seem to respond to being well drilled and knowing their clearly defined roles. Hopefully this is an indication of RH's oft-mentioned relentless team drills finally taking effect, and not a false dawn.
For someone quite new on here these are very sensible remarks. Just hope that Palace won't have to flog anyone soon....all about the management now!

fa4ab
14-10-2017, 08:27 PM
Yep Townsend man of the match, but Luka was excellent

Owngoal
14-10-2017, 08:29 PM
Excellent team performance and the best the home crowd has been in a long time. At the beginning thought Roy had made a real mistake playing Ward but he had his best game in ages. Although distribution was not great by Jules he made an all important save. Andres was better than he has been in ages because of the influence of having Wilf back. Midfield trio did extremely well. What a shame PVA did not put one away in second half. Great to hear the Sakho chant when he set Wilf up. Wilf my MoM but it was above all a Palace team performance.

Palestinian
14-10-2017, 08:40 PM
If you think Luka was a 6 you need to watch the game back again. Possibly his best performance in a Palace shirt.

He and Cabaye were superb today. The difference a match fit Sakho makes to organising th defence was clear today - played as a unit, played offside trap well and gave everyone else confidence passing it out. The back heel was stupid though, really daft. Wilf was our talisman though and should be MoM - but could make a strong argument for anyone on the pitch. Off the pitch Roy was the tactical expertise he showed at Fulham and West Brom - so please for him, and us.

beef
14-10-2017, 08:41 PM
Hennessey edges it for me. Best game I've ever seen him play. No shaky moments or mistakes. Hopefully it's like this every week.

Nth Kent Eagle
14-10-2017, 08:43 PM
The central midfielders were key.

meee
14-10-2017, 08:47 PM
He and Cabaye were superb today. The difference a match fit Sakho makes to organising th defence was clear today - played as a unit, played offside trap well and gave everyone else confidence passing it out. The back heel was stupid though, really daft. Wilf was our talisman though and should be MoM - but could make a strong argument for anyone on the pitch. Off the pitch Roy was the tactical expertise he showed at Fulham and West Brom - so please for him, and us.

Having watched a stream and therefore seen replays, our offside trap was one of the weaker areas of our performance. The lineswoman bailed us out twice and got it wrong.:)

jobiinthelastmi
14-10-2017, 08:48 PM
Still confused as to why Dann was booked for winning the ball with a decent tackle?

Skintagain
14-10-2017, 08:52 PM
Never mind the football, the Crystals are back.

Over complicated routine?

PT109
14-10-2017, 08:55 PM
Hennessey edges it for me. Best game I've ever seen him play. No shaky moments or mistakes. Hopefully it's like this every week.
Mate - Julian Speroni was in goal this time so why not lay off.

beef
14-10-2017, 08:57 PM
It's been two years with the clown in goal and I was relieved that Jules can still do a decent job at 38!

Celestial Empire
14-10-2017, 08:59 PM
Overall a great performance but a couple of things

Watch PVA for the Chelsea goal, absolutely abysmal

Speroni helped the crowds nerves and avoided the pathetic ironic cheers Wayne gets but was no better than Henessey. We still need a true no 1 keeper

The much maligned Ward was superb, as was Cabaye. Dann appeared to be back to something like his best as well

Wilf my MOM though

The big difference today was that Julian was quick and brave in coming out.
Wayne dithers, then usually stays put.

Loafster
14-10-2017, 08:59 PM
for the first time in probably 30 years, was so fed up with Palace, woke up feeling shit and thought bollocks, I cannot be bothered to go and watch us lose 4-0/
What a mug and a serious lesson learnt.
never miss a game because it will always be the game you wish you hadn't
Last season Chelsea away thought we would lose so took up free tickets in the home end and regretted it and vowed would never risk another Chelski win again.
DOH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mark Gardiner
14-10-2017, 09:03 PM
Having watched a stream and therefore seen replays, our offside trap was one of the weaker areas of our performance. The lineswoman bailed us out twice and got it wrong.:)

Yeah - think I've a new target for my unwanted advances :love:

#mp3_zone
14-10-2017, 09:08 PM
Still confused as to why Dann was booked for winning the ball with a decent tackle?

He kicked the ball away after a free kick was given.

Acky the Eagle
14-10-2017, 09:11 PM
Jules. Wilf.

Biggineagle
Townsend for me he put the fear up them every time he got the ball. Well done andros

sl6 Eagle
for the first time in probably 30 years, was so fed up with Palace, woke up feeling shit and thought bollocks, I cannot be bothered to go and watch us lose 4-0/
Last season Chelsea away thought we would lose so took up free tickets in the home end and regretted it and vowed would never risk another Chelski win again.
DOH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I did the same today :clown: lesson learnt.

El Aguila
14-10-2017, 09:19 PM
Thanks, all. I would love to watch it if poss.

Al From Bromley
14-10-2017, 09:20 PM
DOH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I did that many years ago and missed Palace beating Swindon 6-2 and scoring 5 goals in 12 minutes - at the time a league record. I vowed then, never again!

Loafster
14-10-2017, 09:28 PM
yep 1st and last time I cry off.
After this amount of time should of known, TYPICAL PALACE!!!
And all because wife went away for the weeken, so home alone and got shitfaced until 5 in the morning and just couldn't face it, so her bloody fault.
Now sat night and she comes home a day early as actually ill, so needed to cancel the Lady of the night due at 11 to celebrate.
Bollocks! hence I am on here I suppose!

Biggineagle
14-10-2017, 09:30 PM
yep 1st and last time I cry off.
After this amount of time should of known, TYPICAL PALACE!!!
And all because wife went away for the weeken, so home alone and got shitfaced until 5 in the morning and just couldn't face it, so her bloody fault.
Now sat night and she comes home a day early as actually ill, so needed to cancel the Lady of the night due at 11 to celebrate.
Bollocks! hence I am on here I suppose!Damn :D

Palestinian
14-10-2017, 09:31 PM
Stand corrected then - seemed to be better from LH than rest of season - the second goal against Swansea still gives me nightmares.

Loafster
14-10-2017, 09:31 PM
double dam mate to be honest
how to **** up the perfect saturday

PALACEWU
14-10-2017, 09:36 PM
double dam mate to be honest
how to **** up the perfect saturday

What's that? Beat Chelsea against all odds and get a prostitute in.

Loafster
14-10-2017, 09:47 PM
meant to be, but royally ****ed it up no Palace, no Prostitute

TheCharmer1
14-10-2017, 09:51 PM
PVA is shit defensively, lost the chelsea guy for the goal and mcarthur lost the post. we looked shaky defending corners all day.

Sako wasn't great today either bar the tackle for the second goal, after his initial poor mistake

schlupp lifted his shirt as he was subbed. How fat is he?

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
14-10-2017, 09:58 PM
Superb performance all round but what a massive difference Wilf and Sakho make. After such a retched start to the season, today was one of our best performances in this Premier League ride.

Well done all involved (including us fans who responded to our players' impressive start to the game).

AddoWolz
14-10-2017, 10:12 PM
Great all round team performance, Townsend and Zaha standout performances and the crowd were pretty amazing as well .

CPFC 1949
14-10-2017, 10:12 PM
Roy and Ray made Chelski pay

Eagle's Away
14-10-2017, 10:17 PM
Yep Townsend man of the match, but Luka was excellent

Undoubtedly Andros Townsend was very good and I have no problem that most people feel he deserved the MOM but for me it was Luka.
As in rugby, there are players who do an enormous amount of work that are often not see by many people but keep the whole machine ticking along. A good defensive midfield player is essential and why the MOTD team used to eulogise N'golo Kante when at Leicester, then Chelsea. It was also why the Chelsea manager has been bitching about the loss of Kante all week.
Luka is our new Jedi / Geof Thomas / Michael Hughes. Not afraid to go toe to toe with the oppo's hardman. Jumps for the ball bouncing around. Does not duck tackles. Not afraid to be booked. Always making himself a nuisance. Always in and around the action and snapping at the heels of Fabregas and whoever else wants to try and show boat. His workrate also gives the ball players like Cabaye a few moments to actually get their head up and study what is going on.
Wilf and Andros will always do clever things (God luv 'em) but just keep an eye on Luka. He works hard. He does not shirk. He was stifled uder the FSB regime but is coming back to his best.

KingClinton
14-10-2017, 10:33 PM
Zaha. Absolute mustard. What a legend. His return coupled with Speroni's start was the catalyst for a wonderful performance. First game back from that lay off. Spent after 60 mins and never stopped. One of the maturist performances I've seen from wilf & what a composed finish. Class. Well done palace. Well done Roy.

And a special mention to schlupp who after a shaky 10 mins put in a stellar performance. Winning the ball and nicking it back countless times.

PalaceRichard
14-10-2017, 10:42 PM
Couldn't make it but on the radio the support sounded great and it was clear that the players were right up for it from first to last minute. Great for everyone, but especially for Hodgson to instil confidence in the players before some supposedly "easier" fixtures. Different team with Wilf back......onwards and upwards.

nicobos
14-10-2017, 10:49 PM

Trusting PVA not to fall asleep when trying to play offside is like trusting a paedo at a kids birthday party.

Chelsea clearly targeted pva with a couple of long diagonals down his wing and fortunately the Lino helped us out !

As an aside, I thought bringing puncheon on for schlupppp really helped shore things up down the left side at a time when we we’re really flagging. Well done Roy.

Chas
14-10-2017, 10:50 PM
I voted for Townsend figuring everyone else would vote for Zaha. Was pleasantly surprised.

I instinctively laughed at Sahko's backheel on MOTD. It's easy to laugh about it now, I guess!

Crunchie
14-10-2017, 11:53 PM
DOH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just don't go to Chelski games Loafster, we'll be fine mate! :D

macstar
15-10-2017, 12:12 AM
in all seriousness...the 3 people who put Riedewald, Puncheon and Fesu-Mensah as man of the match.....what is the point of you...!

macstar
15-10-2017, 12:17 AM
The ground that Cabaye covered today! Does so much off the ball as well as on it.

Impressive team performance but Cabaye just edges it for me.

Cabaye absolutely immense 1st half, but tailed off second half. He seriously is one of the best players to ever pull on a palace shirt. Love him to bits. :lux:

brighton_eagle
15-10-2017, 12:29 AM
The players were all excellent, of course, but the credit goes to Roy for me. Tactics are spot on, we nullified them whilst making t most of our threats.

That said, mom in my opinion was Luka. Could have been cabaye, Andros wilf, but Luka was always in the right place and his passing was excellent. His best performance of the season

Excowboy
15-10-2017, 12:39 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171015/c8c0170087203029172aa5520aa195b6.jpg

Best thing about our formation was that we had one.

Looked at these who scored maps after our matches with De Boer and it had the distinct appearance of a game of pin the tail on the donkey. Working on shape helps.

Mr Palace
15-10-2017, 12:56 AM
Has to be Wilf for MoM. Townsend was excellent but in terms of providing a touch of class to win a game, Wilf has that in his locker but it's something Townsend lacks. But they were both immense together. Great to see.

Lee B
15-10-2017, 01:07 AM
EAGLLLESSS

WLYWLYAWYPWF
15-10-2017, 01:21 AM
in all seriousness...the 3 people who put Riedewald, Puncheon and Fesu-Mensah as man of the match.....what is the point of you...!

To provoke a reaction. I was for Reidewald and I didn't even go.

glaziers fan
15-10-2017, 01:48 AM
Zaha 9 Motm What a goal! Gave his all and somehow lasted the whole game. Caused them problems all game with creativity and movement. Wish he would shoot more though. A few times he took too many touches

Agreed. MOM but should have scored from first townsend cross.needs to shoot earlieer

ct_
15-10-2017, 02:57 AM

It did look that way from replays, but the co-commentator on the international coverage (who sounded like Clive Allen) said they were excellent decisions, and I suppose he had a great view from the TV gantry.

Sceagle
15-10-2017, 06:46 AM

What?! PVA was quality today until Schlupp got knackered and left him with two players to deal with.

Banger
15-10-2017, 06:47 AM
Luca, Cabeye, Wilf and Andros were all excellent. But for me Joel Ward deserves man of the match especially as most of us including myself felt he had to be dropped. Great game - play like that for the rest of the season and we will win more than we lose.

Sceagle
15-10-2017, 06:48 AM
PVA was better than Schlupp and people are still laying into him. Weirdos.

Martin H
15-10-2017, 06:50 AM
It did look that way from replays, but the co-commentator on the international coverage (who sounded like Clive Allen) said they were excellent decisions, and I suppose he had a great view from the TV gantry.

I saw that too. I thought they both looked like correct decisions technically but were extremely tight. I.e. Cms. The camera angle on the second wasn't great and at first glance looked onside but if you look at the mowing lines, he was fractionally offside. Both were so close that neither defenders nor lineswoman could be 100% certain I suspect. It was Clive Allen.

Panther
15-10-2017, 06:50 AM
Agreed. MOM but should have scored from first townsend cross.needs to shoot earlieer

Not only Wilf. There were several occasions when Palace players delayed shooting in order to work a clearer chance only to lose the opportunity. Overall, one of the great Palace games though.

Chris Finch
15-10-2017, 07:12 AM
Phenomenal performance

Milivojevic MOTM - less glamorous choice than Wilf, but collosus in the middle

Townsend, Zaha, Cabaye, Sakho all great

Great to have Jules in goal too

BLUE BOY
15-10-2017, 07:41 AM
Great team performance, no doubt about that. My one major concern was our defending of corners, didn't look good at all.

L'head Eagle
15-10-2017, 07:43 AM
For me MoM as Wilf for a great performance and being the catalyst for what we saw yesterday.

Andros was simply brilliant, worked so hard, always tracking back but with Wilf always found a way of turning defence into attack.

Luka with Cabaye dominated midfield both physically and technically. Special mention to MacArthur for a text book box to box midfield performance.

PVA, Schlup easily best we have seen from both. Fantastic from Ward, so pleased for him. All 3 did so much to stop Chelsea playing.

Dann and Sakho made it look easy at times, as a pairing will get better and better.

Speroni when called upon did the job what a GK needs to do. Showed his quality and experience of knowing when to keep hold of ball and when to punch or parry out of danger. WH would have probably parried direct to an opposition player, that is the difference !!

dannyboy1807
15-10-2017, 07:47 AM
I've slated Ward along with a lot of people and was pretty annoyed when he got ahead of TFM, he played really well yesterday really well.

The whole team played well they actually looked like a team who knew the roles they were playing and stuck to it.

averity
15-10-2017, 07:58 AM
i loved the waythat when sakho played the ball down the channel to zaha but didnt put enough on it, then zaha had his hands in the air moaning and aggitated about it, its as if sakho seen this and just carried on running and crushed everyone in his path and then gave zaha the ball and his first touch was sublime, and then to take another to steady it before finishing it, sheer class. on the sky commentary one guy was trying to take the piss by saying the own goal was our goal of the season because its our only goal and then the other older wiser commentator took over and made his comments not sound as bad as he was saying the fans will love any goal at the moment etc.

Marki
15-10-2017, 08:07 AM

Same here mate.

Couldn’t face it and went and played golf instead. Still, I’d rather we won and I wasn’t there than being there to see us lose.

knowlesyUCLA
15-10-2017, 08:12 AM
I watched from afar but the main thing I noticed was that passes were being played forward rather than sideways.

Dann and Sakho were willing to take a risk, Luka and Cabaye worked well together and wanted the ball, and there was enough movement in the final third.

Good game plan from Roy, kept Chelsea’s wing backs in check and applied pressure in the centre. We were lucky that Kanté was injured, superb player, and Fabregas has an off day when otherwise he would’ve run the show. But we deserved all of that.

Must follow it up against Newcastle now. COYP.

Mark Gardiner
15-10-2017, 08:16 AM
I'm giving that first goal to Cabaye - don't care what the FA say!

But, officially, that means that since our return to the "Greed-is-Good" League, our top scorer at Selhurst against Chelski is that fine Irish international Mr. O'Goal.

Still, "John Terry, John Terry, scoring goals for Palace..." doesn't seem to work with Azpilicueta

AddiscombeEagle
15-10-2017, 08:19 AM
Great team performance, no doubt about that. My one major concern was our defending of corners, didn't look good at all.

Possibly because we are a small team. Other than centre backs there isn't much height.

Kai
15-10-2017, 08:19 AM
So many played great yesterday and but I still think PvA and Schlupp look out of their depth. Schlupp because he really does not want the ball and tries to get rid of it the second he's got it and PvA because he is horrible defensively. He is good at coming forward and occasionally winning the ball but actual defending is not his strength

917L
15-10-2017, 08:20 AM
What?! PVA was quality today until Schlupp got knackered and left him with two players to deal with.

Quality?

Chelsea goal was entirely his fault, watch the replay, and as usual he failed to stop the cross about 95% of the time

Our worst player by a country mile

colonel
15-10-2017, 08:21 AM
SO so chuffed!
But without wanting to piss on anyone's chips, we can do that against top teams that come at us - it is terrific to watch and we have all enjoyed plenty of those moments these past 5 years when it all comes together and produce a top notch performance.
But can we break down an inferior side when Wilf and Andros don't have the same space to work with??
One for later in the week when the glow has worn off perhaps...

exiledeagle
15-10-2017, 08:21 AM
Defensively Van Aanholt does need to improve . However watching the game , albeit dodgy stream and half hour on sky , he does help us offensively ( which is important with our lack of strikers . He was always making himself available and got in some good positions going forward . Yes he should have scored but not many left backs would be there in first place . Also noticed McArthur gave Ward lots of help whereas Schlupp left Van Aanholt exposed numerous times . Offensively I feel Van Aanholt is way ahead of Schlupp and Souare in terms of quality , defensively not much in it . Think we would regret selling him in January as some have suggested .

917L
15-10-2017, 08:25 AM

No, he wasn't, clearly

Martin H
15-10-2017, 08:26 AM
What a relief. Not only a goal, but 2 goals and our first 3 points! All without a striker and with a 38 year old keeper and against the Champions. Typical Palace I guess. It's difficult not to get carried away with the euphoria and see it as it really was but this is my early attempt. The more I think about it, we had the perfect storm with regard to the 2 teams personnel/form and shouldn't get too carried away just yet looking forward - but of course we should milk the **** out of it because it's been tough so far!

Before the match you would expect their back 3 to have too much for our makeshift forwards, their midfield to swamp us in the middle with numbers, let alone class, and give Hazard etc the platform to rip us apart. Instead for long periods we were winning the midfield battle despite being outnumbered. The loss of Kante made a huge difference. The indifference of Hazard and Willan difficult to explain.

We set up to play 4 across the back and 4 midfielders in front. So no wingers as such, with both Schlupp and Macca playing as wide midfielders and focused on picking up their wingbacks. This left the full backs to mostly play narrow and compress the space in the middle. Ward probably making more CB actions than Dann at times. To compensate for that and more so because we have no strikers as such, Andros and Wilf were given free ranging roles up front and encouraged to run towards space as soon as we had the ball at the back for the long ball. Then, both being comfortable with keeping the ball until others arrive, drive towards goal and let the team get forward. By hitting those early long balls up to the pacy, tricky AT/WZ forced their fairly slow back 3 to sit deeper preventing them from compressing us. This in turn provided the very space needed for those long balls to work. Both Luiz and Cahill really struggled with their sheer pace/tricks and Cahill seemed to get an early knock.

Despite the pluses above they still should have battered us in the middle but credit to the 4 that they not only handled them but played good passing football once they had the ball. Cabaye was at the heart of this with more touches than anyone and with Luka, constantly tidying up and controlling play. Macca deserves mention though because he had an excellent game. Very disciplined and easy to underestimate but major contribution. Then Cabaye even gets into their box to nick our first goal ! Critically, it was the first of the match. The other key 'player' was confidence. If we had conceded that awful goal first I think the confidence that held our game together yesterday would have drained and we could well have been buried. But we started brightly and didn't really lose that in the match. We looked completely wrecked with too many players on empty well before the end.

Their goal was awful and our set piece defending generally was flaky. The weird Sakho backheel etc could have been far worse. Jules appeared to misread a shot from range that thankfully hit his legs and Fabregas hit the bar etc.

The perfect storm was a mixture of the personnel, form and player moods plus respective shapes. It all went our way somehow and TBH we should have scored at least another 2. The biggest question for Conte has to be over his big players failure to turn up. Not quite as bad as the Jose sacking form but I do have to wonder if Conte has ruffled some 'precious' feathers.

A lot to do and we will probably struggle against far worse teams but what a result - yay!

Baffled Bob 2
15-10-2017, 08:33 AM
MOTM - Roy.

Reg_Maudling
15-10-2017, 09:28 AM
i voted for townsend but its interesting that macarthur has so few votes
thats what happens in a great team performance, its not about one or two players

Woosie
15-10-2017, 09:31 AM

Defensively he was terrible, Luka and Dann were screaming at him on at least one occasion to sort himself out.

Going forward, he was also terrible. Missed two good chances.

Schlupp had a good game

Owngoal
15-10-2017, 09:34 AM
Defensively he was terrible, Luka and Dann were screaming at him on at least one occasion to sort himself out.

Schlupp had a good game

PVA looked like he was trying hard. In recent weeks he looked like he was just there for the pay cheque

glaziers fan
15-10-2017, 09:36 AM
To get it would be sweet. The last time we won there was 20 years ago after a woeful run of 11 defeats in a row IIRC. I'd snap your hand off for a point right now though

I wouldn't. We should be capable of getting 3 points at St James Park.

glaziers fan
15-10-2017, 09:51 AM
What a relief. Not only a goal, but 2 goals and our first 3 points! All without a striker and with a 38 year old keeper and against the Champions. Typical Palace I guess. It's difficult not to get carried away with the euphoria and see it as it really was but this is my early attempt. The more I think about it, we had the perfect storm with regard to the 2 teams personnel/form and shouldn't get too carried away just yet looking forward - but of course we should milk the **** out of it because it's been tough so far!

Before the match you would expect their back 3 to have too much for our makeshift forwards, their midfield to swamp us in the middle with numbers, let alone class, and give Hazard etc the platform to rip us apart. Instead for long periods we were winning the midfield battle despite being outnumbered. The loss of Kante made a huge difference. The indifference of Hazard and Willan difficult to explain.

We set up to play 4 across the back and 4 midfielders in front. So no wingers as such, with both Schlupp and Macca playing as wide midfielders and focused on picking up their wingbacks. This left the full backs to mostly play narrow and compress the space in the middle. Ward probably making more CB actions than Dann at times. To compensate for that and more so because we have no strikers as such, Andros and Wilf were given free ranging roles up front and encouraged to run towards space as soon as we had the ball at the back for the long ball. Then, both being comfortable with keeping the ball until others arrive, drive towards goal and let the team get forward. By hitting those early long balls up to the pacy, tricky AT/WZ forced their fairly slow back 3 to sit deeper preventing them from compressing us. This in turn provided the very space needed for those long balls to work. Both Luiz and Cahill really struggled with their sheer pace/tricks and Cahill seemed to get an early knock.

Despite the pluses above they still should have battered us in the middle but credit to the 4 that they not only handled them but played good passing football once they had the ball. Cabaye was at the heart of this with more touches than anyone and with Luka, constantly tidying up and controlling play. Macca deserves mention though because he had an excellent game. Very disciplined and easy to underestimate but major contribution. Then Cabaye even gets into their box to nick our first goal ! Critically, it was the first of the match. The other key 'player' was confidence. If we had conceded that awful goal first I think the confidence that held our game together yesterday would have drained and we could well have been buried. But we started brightly and didn't really lose that in the match. We looked completely wrecked with too many players on empty well before the end.

Their goal was awful and our set piece defending generally was flaky. The weird Sakho backheel etc could have been far worse. Jules appeared to misread a shot from range that thankfully hit his legs and Fabregas hit the bar etc.

The perfect storm was a mixture of the personnel, form and player moods plus respective shapes. It all went our way somehow and TBH we should have scored at least another 2. The biggest question for Conte has to be over his big players failure to turn up. Not quite as bad as the Jose sacking form but I do have to wonder if Conte has ruffled some 'precious' feathers.

A lot to do and we will probably struggle against far worse teams but what a result - yay!

Great analysis as always.

Who should have been picking up their goalscorer? we only won 17% of the aerial duels. That is a big worry for me.

pauldrulez
15-10-2017, 09:51 AM
Sakho needs to cut out some of the tricks, but his defending and passing is spot on.

The little flick he did that led to a Chelsea break (and I think Luka’s booking) should’ve been a warning, to then do that backheel was insanity. Still love him for it, and great to see Dann patting him on the back and having a word!

Excellent tactical performance and a masterclass from Roy.

glaziers fan
15-10-2017, 09:54 AM

Schlupp had a good game

He was ok defensively. Won the ball quite a few times. Moses didn't have much joy did he? Also he is good on the ball. His passing is better than Schlupp's. And his movement and timing of runs is excellent. He should have scored but at least he was in the right place. Not many of our players get themselves in as many good positions as he does.

jimos_uk
15-10-2017, 09:57 AM
PVA looked like he was trying hard. In recent weeks he looked like he was just there for the pay cheque

I make you right on this. A huge increase in effort. If anything, he snatched at that chance, probably due to enthusiasm.

Those saying that Massey on the line did us a favour, well, based on the replays (watched on TV), she did an outstanding job - a lot of other lines(people), wouldn't have had the guts to make the correct calls that she did - especially that diagonal to Pedro in the second half, which was knife-edge stuff.

Reg_Maudling
15-10-2017, 10:09 AM
I thought the lineswoman was superb

teesdale99
15-10-2017, 10:10 AM
I wouldn't. We should be capable of getting 3 points at St James Park.
We are of course capable of winning at Newcastle and it would be great to gather some momentum with a run of games against 'lesser' opposition. However I think we should remember the respect the point mentality. Recovery from our disastrous start needs to be based on defensive solidity that comes from discipline, a solid formation (2 banks of four?) defending as a team, busting a gut to cover for each other and each player having a clear understanding of their role. This will help reduce the number of individual errors that are more likely to happen when players are exposed in one on one situations. If we can start to get a few clean sheets it will help us no end and with wilf in the team we are always likely to create chances, even more so if we can draw teams on to us and hit them on the break.

Owngoal
15-10-2017, 10:12 AM
I make you right on this. A huge increase in effort. If anything, he snatched at that chance, probably due to enthusiasm.

Those saying that Massey on the line did us a favour, well, based on the replays (watched on TV), she did an outstanding job - a lot of other lines(people), wouldn't have had the guts to make the correct calls that she did - especially that diagonal to Pedro in the second half, which was knife-edge stuff.

No one let us down is the key thing and we had our share of luck for once with the Fabregas shot skimming over rather than under the woodwork. Interesting to see any changes in midfield next week away or stay with what worked (I hope the latter)

bigend1
15-10-2017, 10:23 AM
Just watch the highlights and got the tingles

We didn't just steal the points we dominated huge parts of the game.

We were just a very good team

Bloody brilliant!

Even if we didn't take the points that performance was enough to get the confidence brimming and really go for this fight. We did take the points

Bloody Fantastic.

Cut adrift never felt so good! :lux:

Civic
15-10-2017, 10:30 AM
Memorable game. Lovely to see such effort and commitment. Luka and Andros were just magnificent.

palacemetros
15-10-2017, 10:37 AM
Great analysis as always.

Who should have been picking up their goalscorer? we only won 17% of the aerial duels. That is a big worry for me.

Looked to me like PVA had the job at the time and on the highlights too. He certainly had that job on subsequent corners as far as I could see.

It was a p*ss poor bit of defending all round and a bit surreal on the day, given an otherwise excellent team performance.

Se9 eagles
15-10-2017, 10:54 AM
How is Benteke going to fit into that system?

Martin H
15-10-2017, 10:58 AM
Looked to me like PVA had the job at the time and on the highlights too. He certainly had that job on subsequent corners as far as I could see.

It was a p*ss poor bit of defending all round and a bit surreal on the day, given an otherwise excellent team performance.

What I didn't understand is why would you pit PVA against that giant in an aerial battle?

eagleincroydon
15-10-2017, 10:59 AM
mostly impressed with townsend playing a unusual position in the team for him

palace910
15-10-2017, 11:02 AM
Back to the Palace we all know and love! Without playing a forward worked brilliantly for us and Townsend and Zahas movement and pace caused Chelsea allot of problems, and allot of the time they didn't know who to mark.

Also quick balls upto Wilf and Townsend were great as it really put Chelsea on the back foot. We looked comfortable on the ball at home, which is a rare! And has been our downfall on occasions. Special mention to the fans who were incredible. Loved it at the end when Speroni got all the players to come and celebrate with us, that will be a moment I will remember for a long time!

Feeling more confident for the rest of the season now. Also can Speroni play every week!

knowlesyUCLA
15-10-2017, 11:06 AM
What I didn't understand is why would you pit PVA against that giant in an aerial battle?

Yes that was a strange match up but PVA totally switched off from the moment the ball was sent over. Shocking defending.

There was also a very marginal offside decision in the second half that he was again totally asleep for. He had no idea where Zappacosta was and appealed more in hope than expectation.

I am really not a fan of his. Needs must at the moment but once Benteke is fit again, I would hope that Schlupp moves back, or better still Souare.

Stellavista
15-10-2017, 11:07 AM

The important thing is we've found an effective alternative way to play.

Penstone Eagle
15-10-2017, 11:08 AM

Or match that work rate.

dave_who_ru
15-10-2017, 11:18 AM
The important aspect from yesterday was that we started on the front foot and took the game to them. I thought second half it might all come down who tired more and at one stage it looked like we had peaked but then we picked up the pace once more and our running up front could have given us a couple more goals.

Zaha just shaded for me because of the goal but Townsend was magnificent.

RAB
15-10-2017, 11:33 AM
It's been ages since I've enjoyed a Sunday morning. A bit fragile after the joy of celebrating on Saturday evening with too many beers but a nice satisfied inner glow.

Wonderful Palace team display and a thoroughly deserved win against the Champions.

The Band of Brothers are still there - just. Speroni, Ward and Zaha. Three of the Magnificent Seven who won promotion were there and it just shows what can be achieved with belief and spirit and no little skill too. All of this, especially the team spirit, rubbed off on the fans and the Selhurst atmosphere was there again after going missing (HF excepted) for so long.

It's going to take a sustained gathering of points and slow climb up the league to convince though. Hodgson is right to add words of caution in his post match interview.

Mr Palace
15-10-2017, 11:41 AM

PvA's was one of the worst defensive performances I have seen. He was diabolical. He just cannot defend. I watched the extended highlights this morning after being at the game abs it confirmed how inept he was.

Stavros 69
15-10-2017, 11:48 AM

Schlupp had a good game

This is really harsh, I thought he had one of his best games for us.

Penstone Eagle
15-10-2017, 11:58 AM
PvA's was one of the worst defensive performances I have seen. He was diabolical. He just cannot defend. I watched the extended highlights this morning after being at the game abs it confirmed how inept he was.

He isn't very good.

Nostrils
15-10-2017, 11:59 AM

He definitely upped his work rate and put himself about a lot more, I just don't thing he has a very good football brain, certainly not in defence anyway.

Bryan
15-10-2017, 12:00 PM
Waited 641 minutes for a goal according to the Sunday Times.

Ironically also the formation we’ll be playing probably up to Christmas.

macstar
15-10-2017, 12:00 PM
Speroni 7
Was there ever any doubt?

van Aanholt 6
The weak link but we know hes not a defender and shouldve scored at the death, or at least shot on target

Ward 6
Decent game

Dann 7
Kept Chelsea at bay

Sakho 7
A moment of madness in the second half but pretty solid apart from that

Schlupp 7
Best game for us in an unfamiliar role

McArthur 7
Willing runner and played a big part in our 1st goal

Luka 7
Madness that he was dropped earlier in the season

Cabaye 7
Terrific 1st half....tired 2nd half but one of my favourite players in the side

Zaha 8 *MOM*
So good to have him back

Townsend 8
Amazing energy.

---------------------
Hodgson 8
Tactical masterclass i think its fair to say

PalaceSi
15-10-2017, 12:02 PM
For once the luck went our way and we certainly deserved it. Why do we not defend corners with full backs on the posts? If there was one he knocks it away as it was we nearly gifted Chelsea a route back. We are a bit pint sized with only really Sakho and Dann good in the air so we are going to be exposed at set pieces, not protecting the posts is suicidal.

Anyway not a day to moan, it was a joy to have Wilf back, and a joy to have two fast energetic and busy players up top which gave us a chance to press, this was key to how we nullified Chelsea so well. You don't want to say we were lucky but they could have scored plenty, i know we had incredible chances too but it was one of those days when the gods were smiling at us, unlike the whole season before that. Lets hope this change of fortune lasts strong and long and well done Roy for picking a line up that was equipped to ask all the right questions of Chelsea, they wern't expecting us to play like that at all.

Mr Palace
15-10-2017, 12:02 PM
A fantastic team performance - we've got our team back after the de Boer nonsense. Hodgson set us up brilliantly. We had to ride our luck at times but fully deserved it. And while we're not quite a one man team, we are as close as you will get to seeing one. Zaha transforms us. He really is a privilege to watch.

Speroni - 7 - what joy seeing a calm and composed keeper. Yes he's not the force he was but give me him over Hennessey any day.

Ward - 7 - much maligned but put in a fantastic shift. Full of effort and desire. He looked much better than his recent performances.
PvA - 4 - just awful. A terrible defender who has no positional sense, can't tackle, has no desire to compete as he showed for the goal, and who repeatedly let their sub right back get crosses in. Struggling to see how he is starting games. He'd be my third choice left back.
Dann - 7 - much better. Looked so much more solid yesterday. Played for assurance.
Sakho - 6 - loses a mark for losing his head at the end with the back heel but he is getting back to full match fitness and his best form. His desire to rob Willian for the winner was superb.

Luka - 8 - absolutely immense. He set the tone from the start with some full bloodied tackles. Back to his best. Great performance.
Cabaye - 7 - full of running and in the right place with the goal. Him and Luka should be a brilliant partnership. Still wish he could last the full 90 though.
McArthur - 7 - did a great job defensively and helped limit Alonso's forward runs.
Schlupp - 6 - thought he did ok but he's a curious one at times. Seems to lack football intellect but he was full of running. He did a solid job but the combination of him and PvA were routinely run ragged by their sub right back especially. Teams target our left side.

Townsend - 8 - absolutely superb in terms of his effort, desire and also created some good chances. Had a glorious shot just wide. I think he needs to improve his end product but he really deserved a goal for his performance. Brilliant.
Zaha - 9 - wow. He makes all the difference. We looked transformed with his blistering pace. Their back three couldn't handle him at times. It's a joy watching him. I can't bear the thought of going down and losing him from the club. He's our best player by a considerable margin.

Credit to Hodgson for deploying a solid shape. More work will be needed on defensive set plays as we looked very vulnerable, as the goal showed. But it's a massive step forward and if we can only take this into Newcastle and West Ham and pick up at least four points then I think we can start to rise up the table. But, as ever, we are highly dependent on one or two players and need to avoid injuries until we can strengthen in January.

Mr Palace
15-10-2017, 12:04 PM
He isn't very good.

It's painful watching him. The weakest defender I have seen for a long time. The amount of times he let their sub right back easily cross the ball in was scandalous. He just doesn't compete. I wonder if Riedewald could do a decent job there - he apparently played there for Ajax at times. I'd put Schlupp back to left back if not.

eagleborn
15-10-2017, 12:05 PM

I mean, he may not have been the best, but talk about hyperbole. Not that I expect any less from you. Worst defensive performances ever seen? We beat Chelsea 2-1. Get a grip honestly and just enjoy what was an excellent all round performance.

Dave Hedgehog
15-10-2017, 12:10 PM
Everybody at the club did themselves proud yesterday.

They're talking on the radio now about 'one of the greatest ever English atmospheres'.

Let's keep going. We have everything we need, with Roy and this squad, to get ourselves out of trouble.

Another magical day, pulled from our arses when we're at rock bottom. Magic football club.

Martin H
15-10-2017, 12:11 PM

It's funny how we all assess things so differently.

Not sitting on the fence but ........PVA definitely made an appalling job of marking Baka for their goal yesterday. So bad it was 'not marking'. There wasn't even an excuse of him being pushed (as Joel was), he simply lost him and didn't even get in his way. Baka barely moved which makes it worse. There several other mistakes etc which make it difficult for me to think he had a good game, but he did at times do good things. So neither was it completely crap. Unfortunately I think this sums him up. He offers something extra going forward and can create chances but he will also regularly screw up defensively.

Mr Palace
15-10-2017, 12:15 PM
I mean, he may not have been the best, but talk about hyperbole. Not that I expect any less from you. Worst defensive performances ever seen? We beat Chelsea 2-1. Get a grip honestly and just enjoy what was an excellent all round performance.

I genuinely think it was. I am absolutely over the moon with the result and couldn't be happier but my honest assessment of PvA is that he was awful. Look at how many times he failed to cut out crosses. And his attempt at marking for their goal was schoolboy stuff. Why don't you give me your assessment of his performance then? I'd be interested to know how you rated him.

jimmy the gent
15-10-2017, 12:26 PM
Not seen enough of him to form an opinion, but if Jairo has any pace he would be a far better bet than PVA at LB. The latter just cannot defend. F*cking awful display. I don't give a monkey's how good a FB is at going fwd if he cannot do the basics in defence, that has to be the first priority.

Schlupp looked better in midfield today, good pace strength and workrate. Not sure he's a defender either though. Get in Jairo at LB with him in front and TFM on the other side and i think we'd be pretty solid down the flanks.

Really liked Andros and Wilf up top, so much pace and ability to cut wide and deliver the ball. Think we may have stumbled on a way to play. Looked far more dangerous than at any point with Benteke up top for a long time.

Man of the match - Roy Hodgson. Brilliant tactical display.

exiledeagle
15-10-2017, 12:27 PM

Well I have been following Palace for over 40 years and there has been a LOT worse defensive performances than PVA . I thought he was a 5 out of 10 yesterday , yes struggled at times but didn't get much help from Schlupp . Thought PVA was good in an attacking sense but does need to concentrate more defensively .

Ruskin Old Boy
15-10-2017, 12:32 PM

Well said.

With no Hennessey the boo boys need to find someone new to blame.

As you say rightly say Get a grip honestly and just enjoy what was an excellent all round performance.

Ruskin Old Boy
15-10-2017, 12:33 PM
Well I have been following Palace for over 40 years and there has been a LOT worse defensive performances than PVA . I thought he was a 5 out of 10 yesterday , yes struggled at times but didn't get much help from Schlupp . Thought PVA was good in an attacking sense but does need to concentrate more defensively .

As above.

Zulu84
15-10-2017, 12:35 PM

Agreed, he was a clear defensive liability, lazy marking, terrible positional awareness and half-assed tackling and going forward he didn't cover himself in glory either. But no, doesn't even make the top 50 of worst defensive performances...which is pretty funny. I want Pape back!

Mr Palace
15-10-2017, 12:36 PM

Like me, I doubt you have seen many left backs earning circa £70k per week as PvA does. It's all relative. I didn't expect much from players like Craig Harrison but expect a lot more from PvA.

Anyway, it's a minor dark cloud on what was a fantastic performance and day.

Mr Palace
15-10-2017, 12:37 PM
Not seen enough of him to form an opinion, but if Jairo has any pace he would be a far better bet than PVA at LB. The latter just cannot defend. F*cking awful display. I don't give a monkey's how good a FB is at going fwd if he cannot do the basics in defence, that has to be the first priority.

Schlupp looked better in midfield today, good pace strength and workrate. Not sure he's a defender either though. Get in Jairo at LB with him in front and TFM on the other side and i think we'd be pretty solid down the flanks.

Really liked Andros and Wilf up top, so much pace and ability to cut wide and deliver the ball. Think we may have stumbled on a way to play. Looked far more dangerous than at any point with Benteke up top for a long time.

Man of the match - Roy Hodgson. Brilliant tactical display.

I agree - it would be good to see Riedewald given a go there. I like Schlupp but he's not the best defensively either.

Mark Gardiner
15-10-2017, 12:44 PM
I thought the lineswoman was superb

Hey, stop talking about my future restraint-order applicant!

Mark Gardiner
15-10-2017, 12:49 PM

For once I agree with Glaziers Fan - another masterful analysis Martin. At least watching the "tape" back wouldn't be painful for the first time in years.

Me - I'm knackered. Not used to staying up to watch Match of the Day.

DE - Glad All Over
15-10-2017, 12:52 PM

Bizarrely you’d point about Benteke is something that went in our favour

Reg_Maudling
15-10-2017, 01:02 PM
Hey, stop talking about my future restraint-order applicant!

two very very tight offside decisions in 62nd and 63rd minutes and she was spot on both times

Martin H
15-10-2017, 01:59 PM
Thought I would add some ratings:

Speroni - 6 - always great to see that smile and he did OK but without a lot to do. If was called Hennessey he would probably be hounded for diving to his left when the shot from range was straight at him but it hit his legs. He did fine. I don't buy some of the claims that he transformed defensive confidence etc. But no problems. His distribution was pretty awful (if the stats are to be believed. 14% pass accuracy is pretty bad). Only 2 out of 38 long balls were accurate? To my eye it didn't look great, distance or accuracy, but didn't think it was quite that bad.

Ward - 6.5 - really surprised Timbo didn't start but Joel had a better game. Not sure I agree with commentator that it was so great that he was throwing his body in to block because he should have stayed on his feet and handled it.

Dann - 6.5 - solid but his lack of pace and failure to dominate in aerial battles are risks going forward. Without Ward covering behind him several times he would have looked very exposed.

Sakho - 7 - powerful, dominant and slightly crazy but a great assist. The back heel was beyond weird. Looked more like our Sakho this week and hopefully should be on the up from now on.

PVA - 5.5 - posted earlier. A mix of awful, good and some hard running. The mistake for the goal was difficult to explain and the missed chance the same.

Macca - 7 - again bit surprised to see him start but excellent game. Disciplined, hard working and some solid creative work. Very effective at keeping the ball moving.

Luka - 7 - hard working, DM performance but got also forward well to pin them in rather than constantly inviting them forward. He really has to start jumping again though. He has never been Jedi-like in the if but simply doesn't jump now and gets pushed around everywhere. Almost as if he is still trying to prove he can't possibly play RCB in a 3. Somebody tell him Roy is IC.

Cabaye - 8 - led and against all odds, with Luka, won the battle with their midfield despite being outnumbered. Controlled a lot of our play. Deserved to claim that goal and gutted he will get nothing for that. It's his football intelligence on the pitch that sets him apart and it has been a joy to watch him at Palace. Put in a hard shift yesterday and not surprised to see him come off.

Schlupp - 6 - looked wrecked at times and gradually stopped covering PVA. Probably should have gone off earlier. Prior to that had a solid game. Sometimes his body language looks as if he can't be bothered.

Townsend - 8.5 - created a lot of problems and created chances but his hard work was even beyond that. What a shift with and without the ball. It's that which gives him the edge over a half fit Wilf yesterday. Andros will never be fully appreciated at Palace because Wilf is just so good and adored but we shouldn't underestimate how good he can be.

Zaha - 8 - makes such a difference and with Andros, scared the crap out of the Chelsea defence. Probably should have taken several more and earlier shots but you just have to love the guy. Genius. It's been a good week to see him interviewed by Gabby and post match and you see him maturing as a man and I think that's helping him on the pitch too. His approach to improving himself has been excellent. Can't wait to see him realise his full potential and score a lot of goals.

Martin H
15-10-2017, 02:05 PM
For once I agree with Glaziers Fan - another masterful analysis Martin. At least watching the "tape" back wouldn't be painful for the first time in years.

Me - I'm knackered. Not used to staying up to watch Match of the Day.

Thx - still miss your summaries though (hint, hint). I am only now watching MOTD because we were out celebrating. Drank red wine, (dark red) port but there was nothing blue about last night :) Things are still a little fuzzy......

917L
15-10-2017, 02:07 PM

He may have been better than he has been before, but he was stil abysmal defensively

RCUK
15-10-2017, 02:13 PM
Formation yesterday really worked, though i would have started with TFM.

Think Punch came on, and all of a sudden we were missing that extra yard, and he really didn't add anything to the game, but just got in the way a lot.

Personal view is that he is best kept on the bench and brought on for emergencies only.

Thefunkymonk
15-10-2017, 02:17 PM
Just watched it again... and it confirmed my original opinion from the game.. luka and cabaye were sensational

Martin H
15-10-2017, 02:20 PM
Formation yesterday really worked, though i would have started with TFM.

Think Punch came on, and all of a sudden we were missing that extra yard, and he really didn't add anything to the game, but just got in the way a lot.

Personal view is that he is best kept on the bench and brought on for emergencies only.

TBH I thought Schlupp was completely knack**ed well before he was swapped and it made sense to bring Punch on for him. He did OK and was hardly supposed to come on to do anything other than hold the result which he did.

Martin H
15-10-2017, 02:22 PM
Just watched it again... and it confirmed my original opinion from the game.. luka and cabaye were sensational

Is the whole game available somewhere?

Reg_Maudling
15-10-2017, 02:26 PM
Is the whole game available somewhere?

https://eplfootballmatch.com/epl-crystal-palace-vs-chelsea-full-match-replay

Reg_Maudling
15-10-2017, 02:27 PM
pva actually makes a fair few decent interceptions among the usual sloppy/headless chicken stuff

so by his standards he had a decent game

jimmy the gent
15-10-2017, 02:32 PM
He cost us a goal for Chelseas, and then cost us another with his glaring miss late on. That is not a decent game.

Reg_Maudling
15-10-2017, 02:36 PM
He cost us a goal for Chelseas, and then cost us another with his glaring miss late on. That is not a decent game.

by his standards!

I wouldn't play him

Isle of Wight
15-10-2017, 02:43 PM
Going on what I heard on the Radio rather than what I saw
MOM Townsend. Commentators said they were terrified every time he got the ball
Fans. Wow the noise. Again the Commentators kept going on about the atmosphere. "best in the Country, fantastic supporters, cant hear myself think" etc etc.

Mark Gardiner
15-10-2017, 02:52 PM
two very very tight offside decisions in 62nd and 63rd minutes and she was spot on both times

Sadly described in the Palace teamsheet as "Mister".

Looks like she's married too :frown:

Ah well, back on the market again :D

Mark Gardiner
15-10-2017, 02:55 PM
Thought I would add some ratings:

Speroni - 6 - always great to see that smile and he did OK but without a lot to do. If was called Hennessey he would probably be hounded for diving to his left when the shot from range was straight at him but it hit his legs. He did fine. I don't buy some of the claims that he transformed defensive confidence etc. But no problems. His distribution was pretty awful (if the stats are to be believed. 14% pass accuracy is pretty bad). Only 2 out of 38 long balls were accurate? To my eye it didn't look great, distance or accuracy, but didn't think it was quite that bad.

That stat would have been inflated as we won so few headers - if the big central defender towers above Wilf or Cabaye on the end of Julian's kicks then that's an "inaccurate" pass.

Payroll Legend
15-10-2017, 03:00 PM

I thought one was level but who cares really

Martin H
15-10-2017, 03:01 PM
That stat would have been inflated as we won so few headers - if the big central defender towers above Wilf or Cabaye on the end of Julian's kicks then that's an "inaccurate" pass.

I did think that but even so 2 out of 38 is beyond that explanation. To the eye it wasn't great either but distribution was always a weakness even in his prime. As a team we will need to find something better than handing it to the opposition. I think he only made 4 short passes.

Palace121
15-10-2017, 03:27 PM

I was in the Holmesdale at the other end of the picth and a few looked like bad calls, even to me.

I now fancy Sian Massey. :supergrin:

Zulu84
15-10-2017, 03:34 PM

Let's be honest, Jules kicking even in his prime was never particularly long or accurate

Dogburger
15-10-2017, 03:44 PM
I did think that but even so 2 out of 38 is beyond that explanation. To the eye it wasn't great either but distribution was always a weakness even in his prime. As a team we will need to find something better than handing it to the opposition. I think he only made 4 short passes.

The truth is Martin that we are a better team without the ball than with it . Jules just helps with that . Give it to the opposition then nick it off them is our game .

Nostrils
15-10-2017, 03:51 PM
Let's be honest, Jules kicking even in his prime was never particularly long or accurate

His kicks seemed to be aiming for Schlupp who, for all his efforts, couldn't compete in the air with the giant Bakayoko, who I thought was very good. When Benteke's back, I think Roy will start using those headers he wins and some less kicks will be wasted, whether it's Jules, The Hen or hopefully a new keeper in January.

Martin H
15-10-2017, 04:09 PM
The truth is Martin that we are a better team without the ball than with it . Jules just helps with that . Give it to the opposition then nick it off them is our game .

LOL - a very cunning plan indeed my Lord ..........

Sad but sometimes it really does feel like that.

pauldrulez
15-10-2017, 04:12 PM
https://eplfootballmatch.com/epl-crystal-palace-vs-chelsea-full-match-replay

The noise just after the 33min mark in the 2nd half video. Spine-tingling.