PDA

View Full Version : Zaha & Townsend as a forward line.

andyocpfc
14-10-2017, 05:36 PM
Could this be a potential front line without us even knowing? I Like Benteke and he offers good aerial threats but he does make us very one dimensional. Could Andros & Wilf potentially be our first choice forward line with Benteke giving us an alternative option if needed?

They simply couldn’t handle Wilf and Andros today mixing it up.

Thoughts?

RisZero
14-10-2017, 05:37 PM
The thought running through my head was what Benteke would have been thinking spectating. I like him when used well, but this was the best we have looked for a long long time.

Heb 7:4
14-10-2017, 05:38 PM
It's an option, but frankly I expect Benteke to improve under Hodgspn too. Used the right way, he's quality.

Reg_Maudling
14-10-2017, 05:42 PM
Could use benteke as a sub at the end of matches we were so much more mobile today up front without him

BillyTKid
14-10-2017, 05:45 PM
Benteke with Zaha and Townsend around him should be a fantastic forward three.

Zohar's Penalty
14-10-2017, 05:46 PM
They were a joy to watch, and between them created enough for us to have got 2/3 more even.

I believe wilf started out as a CF as a kid? I wonder if Andros did too?

carlito
14-10-2017, 05:49 PM
It's an option, but frankly I expect Benteke to improve under Hodgspn too. Used the right way, he's quality.

Yep. Taking the emphasis away from his height and heading ability, he scored some sublime goals when he played for Villa.

16eagles
14-10-2017, 05:56 PM
They will play against Newcastle like this for sure. Newcastle will be bricking it!

jimmy the gent
14-10-2017, 06:02 PM
They were superb today, but they were facing a 343, and will have had more space than usual, and more possibility to get beyond their marker than a 4. But yes, we looked way better with today's attack than the lacklustre Benteke.

jimmy the gent
14-10-2017, 06:04 PM
They were a joy to watch, and between them created enough for us to have got 2/3 more even.

I believe wilf started out as a CF as a kid? I wonder if Andros did too?

Most skilful players play up front as kids, as they've got the ability with the ball. It's where they've played as pro's that counts though, not as 15 year olds.

Danny_Cheviot
14-10-2017, 06:07 PM
Zaha and Townsend switching in behind Betenke and RLC feeding on the scrapes.

wawman_15
14-10-2017, 06:10 PM
I believe Wickham will suit this better

spotkick
14-10-2017, 06:31 PM
More of the same at NUFC please.

spotkick
14-10-2017, 06:37 PM
I believe Wickham will suit this better

Can you expand on this?

Danny1
14-10-2017, 07:01 PM
Yep. Taking the emphasis away from his height and heading ability, he scored some sublime goals when he played for Villa.

One was against us at Selhurst!

Excowboy
14-10-2017, 07:10 PM
Benteke's work rate off the ball is so low we lose the benefit of having the extra player in midfield. Wilf and Andros chase down, run the channels and take on full-backs as well as get into goalscoring positions. That mean's we're better as a unit than with Benteke up front.

At the very least when he does come back, he'll have to fight for his place - and hopefully that'll mean upping his work rate.

jhc
14-10-2017, 07:16 PM
Playing two up top makes us much more balanced. Both Wilf & Andros were outstanding today.

passion4palace
14-10-2017, 07:19 PM
A lot of it was about how Roy played them too. Individually strong and well set up tactically ... nice :p

gcwhite
14-10-2017, 07:23 PM
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3pbzt0ek68jjqhl/wilf.jpg?raw=1

Windsor_Eagle
14-10-2017, 07:24 PM
Just think of a front three of Wilf, Townsend and Benteke with Luka, Cabaye and RLC behind.

Sexual.

PHIL BARBER
14-10-2017, 07:25 PM
Can you expand on this?

Wickham is a far better footballer than Benteke.

elgin eagle
14-10-2017, 07:32 PM
A lot of it was about how Roy played them too. Individually strong and well set up tactically ... nice :p

Yeah, really good. For a team without strikers against a back 3 that was exactly the correct setup. Great to see everyone using their brains as well (the crazy Sakho backheel aside).

CJ PLUM
14-10-2017, 08:00 PM
Can you expand on this?

Playing split forwards works against three at the back as they become stretched out. This is how we played away at Chelsea last season with Benteke and Zaha.
Ideally both players should be comfortable in wide positions but also able to become an effective central forward when the ball is on the other wing.
As Wickham played wide in several games for Sunderland he is probably better suited for this system but whether he is the same goal threat might be questioned by some.
It also means that the width is not provide by the midfield who can therefore be tighter.
I actually think that the next big tactical system will be 3-2-3-2 with a split forward line which is almost a like a reversion to the old WM formation.

Danny boy
14-10-2017, 08:40 PM
Benteke's work rate off the ball is so low we lose the benefit of having the extra player in midfield. Wilf and Andros chase down, run the channels and take on full-backs as well as get into goalscoring positions. That mean's we're better as a unit than with Benteke up front.

At the very least when he does come back, he'll have to fight for his place - and hopefully that'll mean upping his work rate.

Spot on

Palestinian
14-10-2017, 08:45 PM
It worked well because Chelsea played with a relatively widely split 3 at the back, suspect that there might be less joy and space against a 4, but hopefully Roy will have a plan for that too by next weekend.

Biggineagle
14-10-2017, 08:49 PM
Both were quite awesome today. Benteke on the bench on his return? Chelsea didnt know what to do. Well done woy.

Wolfnipplechips
14-10-2017, 08:51 PM
Both were quite awesome today. Benteke on the bench on his return? Chelsea didnt know what to do. Well done woy.

How did it look on the big screen in your bedroom?

Skintagain
14-10-2017, 08:56 PM
How did it look on the big screen in your bedroom?

Stalker alert!!!

Biggineagle
14-10-2017, 09:03 PM
Stalker alert!!!:D

http://family.newarchaeology.com/string.gif

Golf Boy
14-10-2017, 09:06 PM

**** off. Wickham is championship. Benteke 1 in 2 premier league.

libran
14-10-2017, 09:07 PM
You have to say it's looking pretty good with Zaha/Townsend playing like today; supported by Cabaye, Luka and a returning RLC. That's a very strong area.

Billy Rhino
14-10-2017, 10:25 PM
The problem with playing a target man is it changes the mindset of the players so that they automatically start aiming at him. The same happened to Liverpool when Crouch played for them.

Without that target the players know they have to play a different option, hence we start playing more passes. Despite his goals I think Benteke has been detrimental to our style and I would swap him for Bolasie any day. Now imagine him playing with Zaha and Townsend in a fluid front three?

Stavros 69
14-10-2017, 10:48 PM
Needs must

ANDI29
I cannot wait to see loftus cheek playing with these two as a three forward players awesome

Stavros 69

Say what?!

exiledeagle1
14-10-2017, 10:58 PM
the modern day wright n bright.........:)

SOUTHGATE EAGLE
14-10-2017, 11:21 PM
Benteke with Zaha and Townsend around him should be a fantastic forward three.

Tucked in together, as BFS used them, they were. They basically used Wilf and Townsend's pace to work off one-two's, thereby avoiding the need for us to play a final ball from midfield, something we still can't reliably do. I think it's the way out of trouble for us this season, assuming we never want to invest in buying a quality AM and need to save money for the striker and keeper we should have gotten in above all else in the first place, come this January.

SOUTHGATE EAGLE
14-10-2017, 11:25 PM

Agreed. The only reliable creator we have is Wilf and he's been injured basically all season. That and the drop in overall performance / confidence has lead to reduced chances for Benteke, although he has missed a few he shouldn't have. Still, when he is back and playing in a team of renewed confidence and with both Andros and Wilf firing, Benteke will soon be among the goals again. Still believe he would be a twenty-goal striker for us if we just get the right player in behind him and keep both wingers fit and on form.

BarcaPalace
14-10-2017, 11:34 PM
Been getting seriously sick & tired of Benteke, he's such a big poof for his size. He's got f*ck all aggression and lacks work rate. Was so refreshing to see Wilf & Andros running around non stop today creating openings and chasing everything.

redsox
15-10-2017, 12:49 AM
lets get Bolaisie and Moses back this January and a good keeper should be fine with that.

AJ
15-10-2017, 12:53 AM
It worked today as it did away at Chelsea last season, they struggle against 2 fast wide players, but it won't work every game and once teams get wind of it they will just double up on each player and keep them out wide.

exiledeagle1
15-10-2017, 01:17 AM
Townsend and Zaha is a formidable striking line up.

I just hope when Benteke is fit that he has to win his place back.

The 2 lads looked so dynamic up front together....so much better than the ponderous, no first touch Benteke.

Bryan
15-10-2017, 07:16 AM
Just think of a front three of Wilf, Townsend and Benteke with Luka, Cabaye and RLC behind.

Sexual.

That is definitely my first choice. I think Reidewald would be my understudy for those last three names simply as he has quality and energy.

All about injuries it seems with Palace. Just need to get through to Christmas.

I think the last few weeks will have scared the **** out of Parish. Dougie to find a couple of gems in January.

Billy Rhino
15-10-2017, 07:25 AM
It worked today as it did away at Chelsea last season, they struggle against 2 fast wide players, but it won't work every game and once teams get wind of it they will just double up on each player and keep them out wide.

If every player is up for it like yesterday then doubling up just creates more space for other players. Benteke's complete lack of movement is like playing with 10 men, as everyone else has to do his work for him.

We're at our best playing fast counter attack football. You are right that this is difficult against clubs who sit back but with the right tactics it can work against anyone. I remember that Liverpool team under Houllier doing it at Anfield and we walked right into it and attacked, and lost 5-0.

Ron Dogers
15-10-2017, 07:26 AM
Most skilful players play up front as kids, as they've got the ability with the ball. It's where they've played as pro's that counts though, not as 15 year olds.

I could be wrong but I thought our last 3 wonder kids, Moses, Scannell and Wilf were all CFs used on the wing as we were in need when the club was in trouble and needed players in that role? Gutted as we had to miss the game yesterday having watched the dross on show so far!

Billy Rhino
15-10-2017, 07:29 AM
The best striker I've ever seen in England was Thierry Henry, whose movement was fantastic and must've been a nightmare for centre backs. And he used to be a winger.

Spindle
15-10-2017, 07:33 AM
Benteke with Zaha and Townsend and RLC around him should be a fantastic forward four.

EFA

I Hate Brighton
15-10-2017, 09:17 PM
Pace and mobility up front was key for me yesterday and something we seriously lack with Benteke, when he plays.
Chelsea's defenders didn't have a clue what Wilf or Andros were going to do next and were stretched throughout the game.

I also thought Speroni's performance meant that the back 5 looked like a solid unit (but they still need to work on set pieces; especially Van Aanholt).

I did get worried when Puncheon came on but maybe cameo appearances is all he'll get in terms of game time unless his effectiveness increases.

Very happy as with Loftus-Cheek coming back we should be even stronger.

Finally got to watch Match of the Day too!

Hudds Eagle
15-10-2017, 09:33 PM
Luka

Cabaye - RLC

Townsend

Zaha Benteke

Let's see if Roy's diamond works better for us than it did for England. I really like the two of them central and it's flexible in the sense that if we need more width against certain teams you can push them both wide for a 433

Hudds Eagle
15-10-2017, 09:40 PM
I don't think it's a coincidence that Wilf more often than not scores when played centrally. That finish yesterday was Henryesque and I genuinely think that if you played him right up front alongside a big striker he'd score goals for fun

sheepy
15-10-2017, 10:31 PM
100% should be played centrally ideally along an intelligent number 10 (think Bergkamp as the type of player).

Personally I'm still gutted we didn't try and get Perez off of Arsenal. £13 odd million would have been tremendous value.

Also think Benteke's days are numbered. I'd be so, so tempted to cash in if we line up a decent replacement in Jan.

jimmy the gent
15-10-2017, 10:37 PM

Lol, you're off your head.

jimmy the gent
15-10-2017, 10:40 PM
The best striker I've ever seen in England was Thierry Henry, whose movement was fantastic and must've been a nightmare for centre backs. And he used to be a winger.

Poor man's Freddie Sears.

Buysakho
15-10-2017, 10:48 PM
In the next few years messi and Ronaldo's time will be up. Zaha will be reaching his peak, am convinced the upcoming World Cup will be the launchpad to him winning the balon d'or within a few years.

Jimmy Eagle
15-10-2017, 10:54 PM
In the next few years messi and Ronaldo's time will be up. Zaha will be reaching his peak, am convinced the upcoming World Cup will be the launchpad to him winning the balon d'or within a few years.

Ivory Coast didn't qualify for the World Cup...

CP-RJW
15-10-2017, 10:54 PM
I dunno, Wilf will struggle to beat Lewis Dunk to the balon d'or if we're being honest with ourselves :S:

johnnytemper
15-10-2017, 11:23 PM
Ivory Coast didn't qualify for the World Cup...

Might do yet...guaranteed if they win their last match, anything else and they're out.

Purepalace
16-10-2017, 12:07 AM
I love it, do you? :love:

red&blue_moomin
16-10-2017, 06:11 AM
Been getting seriously sick & tired of Benteke, he's such a big poof for his size. He's got f*ck all aggression and lacks work rate. Was so refreshing to see Wilf & Andros running around non stop today creating openings and chasing everything.

He's a striker his main job is to score goals last season without the 15 he scored we would have gone down. He's streaky he just is. Let's not forget lack of goals has almost killed us in previous seasons.

All that said he actually needs ball to feet and service outside of the box except the team lump it to an isolated striker with no one around him. Benteke plays better with Wilf and vice versa. That's the potential Wright Bright partnership. Add Andros to it and that's why we scored over 50 goals in all competitions last season. Something I don't think we've ever actually managed before in the prem. Just a shame we conceded 60!!

Golf Boy
16-10-2017, 06:27 AM
I think the last few weeks will have scared the **** out of Parish. Dougie to find a couple of gems in January.

He's been sent to to watch Ipswich and Bristol City reserves to find some more of those gems.

Se9 eagles
16-10-2017, 06:44 AM
He's a striker his main job is to score goals last season without the 15 he scored we would have gone down. He's streaky he just is. Let's not forget lack of goals has almost killed us in previous seasons.

All that said he actually needs ball to feet and service outside of the box except the team lump it to an isolated striker with no one around him. Benteke plays better with Wilf and vice versa. That's the potential Wright Bright partnership. Add Andros to it and that's why we scored over 50 goals in all competitions last season. Something I don't think we've ever actually managed before in the prem. Just a shame we conceded 60!!

You say Benteke needs ball to feet.Maybe I'm missing something but when we do that it's just seems to bounce of him......

thefox
16-10-2017, 06:55 AM
Lesser teams will park the bus against them and kick them to bits. We wont win a ball in the air against more old style centre backs.

Hector
16-10-2017, 07:03 AM
Could this be a potential front line without us even knowing? I Like Benteke and he offers good aerial threats but he does make us very one dimensional. Could Andros & Wilf potentially be our first choice forward line with Benteke giving us an alternative option if needed?

They simply couldn’t handle Wilf and Andros today mixing it up.

Thoughts?

Benteke cost 30m he's going to be playing. Unfortunately Benteke offer little movement so we become static up front...oh for an Andy Johnson

Mr Bo Jangles
16-10-2017, 07:32 AM
Saturday's result was all about workrate. Non-stop running after loss causes to put pressure on their defence. Benteke offers none of this and causes us to play one dimensional route one football. If we could get rid and get a more mobile,hard working forward, I believe the team would be much improved.

Hector
16-10-2017, 07:35 AM
Saturday's result was all about workrate. Non-stop running after loss causes to put pressure on their defence. Benteke offers none of this and causes us to play one dimensional route one football. If we could get rid and get a more mobile,hard working forward, I believe the team would be much improved.

100% agree

the digger
16-10-2017, 07:38 AM
If we get Townsend and Zaha close to, and beyond, Benteke he will become a different proposition. Isolated and with his back to goal, he is wasted.

Nostrils
16-10-2017, 07:39 AM

I think, when he returns from injury, we'll see a different Benteke all together. He will have watched how effective Zaha and Townsend were, and before too long (fingers crossed) we'll have Wickham back with the possibility of another striker in January. Roy's found another system that doesn't necessarily include him - he now has to prove himself again.

aj4england
16-10-2017, 07:41 AM
Swap Deeney for Benteke and we would be a much improved side...

red&blue_moomin
16-10-2017, 07:55 AM

Name me a palace striker in the prem in the last five years who has scored more than 5 league goals.......I can think of two.

Name me all the hard working ones..........

Spot the issue. You are describing Fraser Campbell do you want him back. Lots of effort barely any goals I can go on but you get the point.

Benteke is a 1 in 3 to 1 in 2 average across a season striker.

Nigelbrag
16-10-2017, 08:11 AM
This is the system and combination we Must pursue for Now until Benteke returns, it is Not the permanent answer but perfect for now, forget about the Sako experiment as he just is not good enough to master that striker role.
We need to play a more allround game for Now, with Midfielders/Wingers breaking through into being our forward line but also dropping back helping with defensive duties as a midfield as so well executed in the Chelsea game. The return of Loftus-Cheek should see us add more physical presence to the formation, this until CB is back and hopefully fully firing again under Roy's system. Ideally a 4-2-3-1
However,what we need when Christian Benteke returns is closer link up play from Zaha and Townsend as they are doing now in playing a more attacking roles than before, as previously CB looked isolated and never posing a goal threat.
Also i would like to see the returning RLC pushing up more from midfield so as to pressurise the opposition defence to divert attention away for the others to exploit, that would make Palace a far greater goal threat than before.

bigend1
16-10-2017, 08:15 AM
They were excellent. A great plan from Roy perfectly executed. It was ideal against a fairly slow Chelsea back three too.

We did miss benteke at times though. He's not been great this season but the first four games we didn't cross. At all!!

Against Utd we actually go ourselves in positions we needed a benteke in the box to cross to several times and the area was empty with Sako lacking the movement or positioning of a striker

Whilst wilf and Townsend were outstanding Saturday and ideally suited stand ins up front against the Chelsea defence we still missed benteke at times. There were a good few times we got on behind, Townsend, schlupp, pva, punch and wilf were in great positions to cross and we had no aerial threat so they had to try to pass low through a crowded area. It was ideal benteke stuff, a quick break to stand the ball up and benteke would have had the run on the defenders... I'd have fancied Ben to score a couple of those yesterday but we had no one.

We saw that for the cabaye goal. Townsend was in the perfect position to lift the ball up for Big Ben but had no threat and we got lucky with the bouncing around into the net. Thoroughly deserved goal of course. 99 times out of 100 that doesn't go in.

Against teams that will pack the area more we'd struggle to get the ball through to anyone and giving benteke a ball to attack will still be our most likely chances.

It's a great option certainly but I think ultimately, for most games at least I'd go for

---------------------benteke----------------
----Townsend----------------------zaha----
-----------------loftus-cheek---------------
------------cabaye----------Luka-----------
-----------------BACK FIVE---------------

That would be fluid. Effectively a front three when suitable, zaha and Townsend like yesterday but with a target man available for when we are in behind.

For teams vulnerable to width and crosses I'd have Townsend like above on the left and wilf on the right for first time crosses. For teams more vulnerable to a cut inside the otherway around.

Loftus would be engine man defending and supporting the attack. His driving runs would really open space for that front three and of course cabaye and Luka are also capable of that (and Sakho)

Benteke needs to come back fighting for his place though. I don't think he's been as bad as some on here suggest. He has literally zero service under frank and somehen chances came he may have snatched a little as the best players do. Then he's against city and injured. Get him service and he'll score

Yoda
16-10-2017, 08:19 AM
If we get Townsend and Zaha close to, and beyond, Benteke he will become a different proposition. Isolated and with his back to goal, he is wasted.

I agree.

We should see Benteke’s lack of goals in the context of poor play by the team as a whole. A big guy like him can’t run around for 90 mins every match, on his own with 2, sometimes even 3, Prem standard defenders snapping away at him. Especially if he picks up an early yellow card and has to watch how he challenges for the ball.

The return of Wilf is a huge improvement, as his presence affects the opposition defence, giving them a big headache. In Wilf’s absence, Townsend wasn’t as effective at this, leaving Benteke isolated.

I do also think that when Benteke plays, some of our guys get too lazy at lumping the ball at him, rather than showing more imagination and mixing things up. With Wilf up front, Hodgson probably drilled them to reduce the number of aimless high balls, as he’s unlikely to win them.

For the next match, the team need to work on what to do when we have a goal kick. Speroni had v little to aim at, sometimes hoping Schlupp could out-jump much taller guys. We need some plan As, Bs and Cs to help the goalie clear the ball, otherwise we’ll keep losing the ball to the taller opposition.

Nigelbrag
16-10-2017, 08:19 AM
Swap Deeney for Benteke and we would be a much improved side...

I had suggested that before and got slated for it, saying he is too fat and lacked movement :rolleyes: It won't happen though, but should we sell CB for say 40m then Deeney for me would be a good cheaper quality alternative to get us back on track, and for possibly 15m or so would be good business.

jimmy the gent
16-10-2017, 08:28 AM
We should stick to this system for now. RLC also could come in for one of zaha or Townsend and perform the same role

Yoda
16-10-2017, 08:32 AM
Deeney, who has been on the bench for Watford this season and scored one goal, a penalty.

I like his competitive attitude, but would only swap him for Benteke if we were in the Championship and needed to cash in Ben’s transfer fee.

the drexciyan
16-10-2017, 08:34 AM
Lesser teams will park the bus against them and kick them to bits. We wont win a ball in the air against more old style centre backs.

In Hodgson we have a manager who is highly adept, especially at our level, of adapting what he has. Tactically I feel he can find a way round that. Bigger teams have shown its possible to play without out and out strikers and get good results along the way too (though we are nowhere near spain tika-taka vintage)

the drexciyan
16-10-2017, 08:36 AM

Good point, there was no focal point on saturday, it was all about industry and movement. Benteke would disrupt all of that but if Hodgson can blend him in, then we are in serious business.

bigend1
16-10-2017, 08:43 AM

He's been scoring goals against teams like that his whole career. It's the kind of service that's makes the difference.

Get behind like zaha, Townsend, pva, and punch did against Chelsea and stand the ball up from a quick break will give benteke a run on his man... if he gets a run on them most times he's gonna get his head on it regardless of the defender. It's about quality service.

In addition to that the aerial threat of benteke will be defensive priority number one for any defence, it opens the way for cutting the ball back to Ruben, cabaye or Luka. Or of course for Townsend and zaha... cutting back inside and having a shot.

Mr Bo Jangles
16-10-2017, 11:35 AM
Name me a palace striker in the prem in the last five years who has scored more than 5 league goals.......I can think of two.

Name me all the hard working ones..........

Spot the issue. You are describing Fraser Campbell do you want him back. Lots of effort barely any goals I can go on but you get the point.

Benteke is a 1 in 3 to 1 in 2 average across a season striker.

I agree there hasn't been any at Palace but I could name you 10-15 from other clubs who cost a lot less, on much lower wages and are better suited to our team ethic of hard work and endeavor.

glaziers fan
16-10-2017, 11:42 AM
I don't think it's a coincidence that Wilf more often than not scores when played centrally. That finish yesterday was Henryesque and I genuinely think that if you played him right up front alongside a big striker he'd score goals for fun

This. And notice yet again that he scored from left hand side.

For all those who say he should play right wing, even if he drifts inside he runs out of angle to score on a regular basis. And scoring goals whilst terrifying defenders is what he is all about. Can't wait to see him build a partnership with Benteke.

Billyd
16-10-2017, 11:48 AM
I rate Benteke and have defended him many times on here, however this season he HAS been poor. I get this is down to a big lack of confidence at the moment but If Zaha and Townsend carry on working up top Benteke has no right to walk back into the side.

eagles #1
16-10-2017, 11:51 AM

This is where Hodgson will need to be smart. Playing against Chelsea suited Zaha and Townsend because we defended and then counter attacked with pace. There's no way Zaha and Townsend will cope with big centre halves like they have a Newcastle/Burnley/Huddersfield/Stoke etc if they sit deep against us.

Jordan555x
16-10-2017, 12:08 PM
Benteke is one of those players who blows hot n cold but when hes hot he bangs the goals in. Its usually when the team plays well Benteke plays well.

Coastal Palace
16-10-2017, 12:13 PM
I rate Benteke and have defended him many times on here, however this season he HAS been poor. I get this is down to a big lack of confidence at the moment but If Zaha and Townsend carry on working up top Benteke has no right to walk back into the side.

With Wilf and Townsend firing on all cylinders I'd say it was the perfect time for Benteke to come back in.

Danny_Cheviot
16-10-2017, 12:15 PM
Benteke is one of those players who blows hot n cold but when hes hot he bangs the goals in. Its usually when the team plays well Benteke plays well.

Agree. A confidence player who needs a couple of goals behind him.

Also, has to stop the shouting and moaning and up his work rate if below is gonna work.

---------------------benteke----------------
----Townsend----------------------zaha----
-----------------loftus-cheek---------------
------------cabaye----------Luka-----------
-----------------BACK FIVE---------------

Coastal Palace
16-10-2017, 12:36 PM
I love Benteke. I think he's a class act and were lucky to have him.
Every striker goes through a barren spell and given the upheavals this season it's no surprise.
Zaha and Townsend and Benteke....they will fear us soon enough

glaziers fan
18-11-2017, 10:58 PM
zaha banging them in for fun.

Mr Palace
19-11-2017, 04:07 AM
I don't mind Wilf up front as he can play well anywhere. I'd prefer him just to the left in a front three but he's doing my very well up front in a two.

But we can't have Townsend up front - it's completely ineffective in that position. I like him and think he's playing well but when it comes to the crucial moment his end product is woeful. He never scores or really creates but he's brilliant on the wing and is a good player. But you can see why he doesn't play for a better team as he cant finish. He really needs to shoot more - so many times yesterday he could have gone for it.

glaziers fan
19-11-2017, 09:01 AM
I don't mind Wilf up front as he can play well anywhere. I'd prefer him just to the left in a front three but he's doing my very well up front in a two.

But we can't have Townsend up front - it's completely ineffective in that position. I like him and think he's playing well but when it comes to the crucial moment his end product is woeful. He never scores or really creates but he's brilliant on the wing and is a good player. But you can see why he doesn't play for a better team as he cant finish. He really needs to shoot more - so many times yesterday he could have gone for it.

That's the point though: If we are going to play Benteke, and we should, who would you want partnering him? Wilf Zaha who has scored 3 in 5 since his return, or Townsend, who hasn't scored all season?

Hodgson went for Townsend, and shunted Wilf out wide :clown:

bradpitt
19-11-2017, 09:05 AM
I love Benteke. I think he's a class act and were lucky to have him.
Every striker goes through a barren spell and given the upheavals this season it's no surprise.
Zaha and Townsend and Benteke....they will fear us soon enough

His scuffed effort in the second half was awful and fairly indicative of his performances this season, I do however think things will click for him when he does eventually score.