palacelad197o
14-10-2017, 10:37 PM
Dont change a team that has just beat the champions i say

Jim Cannon
14-10-2017, 10:40 PM
RLC back in?

Purepalace
14-10-2017, 10:40 PM
Think I would have to bring RLC in though.

Son of Ron
14-10-2017, 10:41 PM
RLC has to feature doesn't he ? For jimmy mac I guess although harsh on him after today

Mr Palace
14-10-2017, 10:42 PM
I kind of agree but I think we have to play RLC so I'd drop the highly suspect PvA and put Schlupp to left back, with RLC taking Schlupp's place in the front three. He could interchange with Wilf and Townsend more effectively than Schlupp.

Shoreditch CPFC
14-10-2017, 10:49 PM
I kind of agree but I think we have to play RLC so I'd drop the highly suspect PvA and put Schlupp to left back, with RLC taking Schlupp's place in the front three. He could interchange with Wilf and Townsend more effectively than Schlupp.

Exactly what I was thinking. Also, the improvement in Dann and Ward today means you have quality players like Fosu Mensah and Tomkins bangng on the door. Sako is pretty decent cover too. Everything looks better.

Jim Cannon
14-10-2017, 10:53 PM
PVA will get plenty of stick from the crowd as an ex Mackem next week

Purepalace
14-10-2017, 10:55 PM
PVA will get plenty of stick from the crowd as an ex Mackem next week

Thanks for sharing.

Scifo
14-10-2017, 10:58 PM
What's the story with Souare now? Not on the bench today.

Is he still getting fit & will he be in contention any time soon?

Mr Palace
15-10-2017, 12:53 AM
Exactly what I was thinking. Also, the improvement in Dann and Ward today means you have quality players like Fosu Mensah and Tomkins bangng on the door. Sako is pretty decent cover too. Everything looks better.

Definitely. Marked improvement from ward and Dann today which sad great to see. We need competition like that in more areas of the squad.

RisZero
15-10-2017, 01:06 AM
I would make the RLC change as others have said purely as he looks class when he plays.

I really like TFM too so wouldnt mind him back in for Ward, despite the very good performance from him today. I guess I think on average over a period of games TFM will edge him in speed and defensive ability but happy for Ward to prove me wrong here.

bodger
15-10-2017, 07:32 AM

Yep. Play well you stay in the team.

costello
15-10-2017, 07:54 AM
Tough choice for Roy. If we play the same system as against Chelsea it would be v useful to have RLC making runs into the box. On balance though I think we should stick with the same starting 11.

Cleon
15-10-2017, 08:01 AM
Hard to change the team after than performance, but this is a squad game too. Only two changes anybody might countenance would surely be RLC for Jimmy Mc and TFM for Ward, but it's a nicer position for Hodgson to be in than he probably expected!

dannyb1
15-10-2017, 08:04 AM
for once we have a bit of a dilemma over who to start, would like to see a bit more of reidwield but we have RLC back also.

speroni
TFM
dann
sakho
schlupp
milojovic
RLC
cabaye
townsend
zaha
ladapo

pauldrulez
15-10-2017, 08:08 AM
Same team.

Nothing against RLC who is a very good player, but the midfield knew their jobs and where each other were yesterday. That made a huge difference as we didn’t have holes all over the place.

16eagles
15-10-2017, 08:08 AM

We don't play with a front 3. RLC would have to play left midfield. Could do a job there probably. This or maybe best we move Townsend back and put him up with Wilf. Decisions ay!

16eagles
15-10-2017, 08:13 AM
Definitely. Marked improvement from ward and Dann today which sad great to see. We need competition like that in more areas of the squad.

Dann is not consistent for me (showed it yesterday in parts)and don't like Tomkins. I would like to see Mensah along with Sakho for 1 game.

averity
15-10-2017, 08:58 AM
personally dont think mensah is a cb

Thefunkymonk
15-10-2017, 09:05 AM
TFM in for ward
RLC in for jimmy Mac

Harsh to change it but they will both improve us

glaziers fan
15-10-2017, 09:31 AM
TFM in for ward
RLC in for jimmy Mac

Agreed. Think Ward will keep his place though, and don't mind because we need experience in our current predicament. But as good as Jimmy was, RLC has to play. And right midfield could suit him.

bigend1
15-10-2017, 09:42 AM
TFM in for ward
RLC in for jimmy Mac

Ward was so good I think it's worth seeing if we are going to get him back to his best under Roy. Worth it because ward would likely be here next season if so and at his best would be great for us

Ruben is too much of an upgrade to not replace Jimmy. Jimmy will get plenty of game time.

bigend1
15-10-2017, 09:52 AM
----------------------jules:love:---------------------
Ward---------Dann-------------Sakho-------schlupp
Townsend-------Luka--------cabaye-----------pva
--------------------rlc--------zaha------------------

Much like last game, in terms of starting with a fluid 442, zaha and in this case rlc roaming somewhat

I've swapped schlupp and pva. I think pva is almost a better defender but his concentration is awful. For the goal and several times, especially the offside trap pva just stops and watches. Schlupp is better and more alert to runners. Pva actually looked more of a threat going forward at times, his final ball and bar the shot composure is usually good.

Ward keeps his place. Too good to drop, he's our player and no one can deny that if we have the ward of the pulis or late sam era we've got a great rb for us. Doesn't do much good if you perform like that and get dropped for a loan player.

Jimmy gets dropped for a loan player! :rolleyes: haha. Too much of an upgrade in quality and Jimmy will come on for cabaye once his legs have burnt out. Not though a lack of fitness but because I want to see him play like he did against Chelsea. Cabaye was superb!

Townsend goes to the wing despite a great performance upfront simply because I think he's better on the wing than rlc but rlc could do a very good job with zaha upfront and drop back in and support the midfield when required

Jules keeps his place. I was nervous he'd just be past it but he played well bar a poor kick. Love you jules

Dann and Sakho looked good

ClubBrugge
15-10-2017, 10:00 AM
I'd also go with RLC coming in, with Schlupp taking PVA's place at the back.
I guess everyone is happy with the Zaha/Townsend duet up front? Watching the highlights again, they caused chaos for much of the game with their endless running, great touches and some risk taking. We didn't lack width either, with both regularly going wide..
I'd love to seem them do the same next week, but with RLC bursting through as well -though I am not sure what formation Luka/Cabaye/Macarthur/RLC set up as. Kind of diamond thing?
Nothing to do with formations, but Wilf has got to be one of the fittest blokes around. 6 weeks out, and then such energy.

palace910
15-10-2017, 10:00 AM
Same team, apparently Roy is going to the Southampton Newcastle match, so should hopefully get some good info on them. Have to say I don't know much about how they play or where their strengths/ weaknesses are.

KungFuCharlie
15-10-2017, 10:59 AM
I'd bring in RLC, either for MacArthur or PvA (who I thought was actually poor again yesterday). Schlupp earned a starting place with his performance, and I liked seeing Punch come on with fresh legs.

Ward has now made a very good claim to being first choice RB, but TFM has the pace needed to provide cover, so a tough call.

The big decision for Roy will be whether to stick with Jules.

Nigelbrag
15-10-2017, 11:02 AM
Why on earth would anyone want to change the team or system for the Newcastle game? surely continuity coming after a fabulous win must be the priority, so to suggest change is madness. Every one of those players deserve the opportunity to continue the good work they produced yesterday it was truly a team effort, so to break it up would invite destroying morale.
Seems amazing to say Loftus-Cheek should not be walking straight back in, but after yesterday it has got to be starting place on the bench as should Fosu-Mensah, in doing so will make players in possession determined into upping their game so as to keep their places in the team.
Who would have thought we would be saying that, so why would anybody want to change it.

palacemetros
15-10-2017, 11:12 AM
We've been crying out for some element of stability both on and off the pitch. Newcastle will be obliged to come at us and our set up today had a good balance which allowed us to use the pace in the team. There were still a couple of weaker links but I would stick with the same starting XI. If it was Newcastle or similar at Selhurst, I would think of changes to slightly improve our creativity as we would be expected to take the game to them more.

eagle-leg
15-10-2017, 11:14 AM
Same team. Nobody did anything against Chelsea which would warrant losing their place.

The way that you get a squad playing well is to reward and incentivise positive performances.

If the same XI players are picked automatically when fit, then why would a squad player bother putting in a shift.

Personally on paper i think that Tomkins, Fosu-Mensah, RLC and Benteke are probably in our 'best XI' but they need to know that they will not simply waltz back into the team.

If they are busting a gut to get in the first XI and putting pressure on those in possession of the shirt then that is what we want.

They can also have an impact off of the bench. RLC coming on after 60/70 mins is a nice option to have.

Martin H
15-10-2017, 11:19 AM
Why on earth would anyone want to change the team or system for the Newcastle game? surely continuity coming after a fabulous win must be the priority, so to suggest change is madness. Every one of those players deserve the opportunity to continue the good work they produced yesterday it was truly a team effort, so to break it up would invite destroying morale.
Seems amazing to say Loftus-Cheek should not be walking straight back in, but after yesterday it has got to be starting place on the bench as should Fosu-Mensah, in doing so will make players in possession determined into upping their game so as to keep their places in the team.
Who would have thought we would be saying that, so why would anybody want to change it.

If changes are made It would surely be that Newcastle are a completely different proposition and don't play in the same formation. So it may be the same 11 that start but they probably won't set up the same way. Would expect RLC to play and TBH, for me TF-M too. I would expect the Manager to pick the best keeper (I.e. Whoever he thinks) and I am still not sure what he thinks about keepers yet.

Mr Palace
15-10-2017, 11:37 AM
Dann is not consistent for me (showed it yesterday in parts)and don't like Tomkins. I would like to see Mensah along with Sakho for 1 game.

TFM isn't yet good enough at CB - he got bullied earlier in the season when he played here. But I think he will be a perfect right back. Dann will rediscover his form now he is playing in a role and formation he is more used to.

mpfn
15-10-2017, 11:42 AM
Same team, have RLC on the bench, waiting to grab his chance when players are tiring.

Stavros 69
15-10-2017, 11:46 AM
TFM in for ward
RLC in for jimmy Mac

This

mcmean
15-10-2017, 11:54 AM
The only player that doesn’t deserve to keep his place is PVA

Mr Palace
15-10-2017, 12:10 PM
------------------------Speroni------------------

Ward---------Dann-------------Sakho--------Schlupp

McArthur---------Luka----------Cabaye-------Townsend

---------------------------RLC----------------------------

---------------------------Zaha---------------------------

Subs: Hennessey, Tomkins, TFM, Riedewald, Puncheon, Sako, KaiKai

This could in effect become a 4-3-3 when we attack - ie RLC and Townsend joining Wilf, with Luka, Cabaye and McArthur holding in midfield.

Mickey Gilley
15-10-2017, 12:19 PM
Individually RLC may be better than McArthur but its a team game and McArthur played his part yesterday in holding the shape together and delivering the win. He's earnt the right to start the next game. It will also be a nice change to have a quality attacking option on the bench if its needed.

Zulu84
15-10-2017, 12:25 PM
Same team. Nobody did anything against Chelsea which would warrant losing their place.

The way that you get a squad playing well is to reward and incentivise positive performances.

If the same XI players are picked automatically when fit, then why would a squad player bother putting in a shift.

Personally on paper i think that Tomkins, Fosu-Mensah, RLC and Benteke are probably in our 'best XI' but they need to know that they will not simply waltz back into the team.

If they are busting a gut to get in the first XI and putting pressure on those in possession of the shirt then that is what we want.

They can also have an impact off of the bench. RLC coming on after 60/70 mins is a nice option to have.

This sums it up for me.... Although van Aanholt is on double secret probation

hihi
15-10-2017, 03:51 PM
For an away game I would rather have Kelly at LB. He's a better defender than the other 2.

strawberry mivi
15-10-2017, 04:13 PM
Assuming Newcastle play with a back 4 then we need to go 4-3-3, with Wilf, Andross and RLC up front.
RLC comes in for PVA.
The 2 up front worked because Chelsea were 3 at the back allowing more space.
With 4 at the back we need to be playing the ball behind the defensive line, rather than moving through it.

in-exile
15-10-2017, 04:20 PM
I kind of agree but I think we have to play RLC so I'd drop the highly suspect PvA and put Schlupp to left back, with RLC taking Schlupp's place in the front three. He could interchange with Wilf and Townsend more effectively than Schlupp.Good idea.

Ardent Eagle Forever
15-10-2017, 05:29 PM
Same team. If you have TFM, RLC and Jairo Cheque come on as subs for last 20. That would be an awful lot of quality to come on at a key period in the match.

Dropping Jimmy Mac for RLC, hmm, Jimmy does have a knack of scoring goals when playing in an advanced position. We do need goalscorers on the pitch. Don't know what RLC's goal scoring record is like having said that.

Latvian Eagle
15-10-2017, 05:30 PM
Same team. If you have TFM, RLC and Jairo Cheque come on as subs for last 20. That would be an awful lot of quality to come on at a key period in the match.

Dropping Jimmy Mac for RLC, hmm, Jimmy does have a knack of scoring goals when playing in an advanced position. We do need goalscorers on the pitch. Don't know what RLC's goal scoring record is like having said that.

Scored once for Chelsea.

Golf Boy
15-10-2017, 05:34 PM
Rlc, Zaha and Townsend on the break sounds like a headache for Newcastle.

AddoWolz
15-10-2017, 05:34 PM
.......................Speroni
TFM..........Dann. ...Sakho. .........PVA

.........McArthur. ...Luka. ... Cabaye

........................Loftus-Cheek

....................Zaha. ......Townsend

Nigelbrag
15-10-2017, 05:41 PM
If changes are made It would surely be that Newcastle are a completely different proposition and don't play in the same formation. So it may be the same 11 that start but they probably won't set up the same way. Would expect RLC to play and TBH, for me TF-M too. I would expect the Manager to pick the best keeper (I.e. Whoever he thinks) and I am still not sure what he thinks about keepers yet.

Would you seriously consider starting with changes after what was an outstanding team performance by the boys against the Champions? Why on earth would you.
Is it not better for RLC to have to force his way back in after yesterdays performance, also whilst coming back from injury rather than just walk back in. Yes he is our outstanding midfielder and without question would make a difference, but that win was based on team spirit and grafting for each other so why risk destroying it, having him on the bench would motivate others to up their game knowing he was on the bench to be called on when needed, the same applies to TFM.
As for the keeper, it has to be Speroni for the reliability and confidence he gives his defenders around him that makes them perform better with that belief as we have seen so many times in the past.

Martin H
15-10-2017, 06:00 PM
I am not sure we can just keep yesterday's team and shape because having watched Newcastle today, the challenge is very different. They played 442 in a pretty rigid and disciplined way. They work hard and defend with 2 banks of 4. A lot goes through Shelvey. Atsu has pace but is unpredictable. Ritchie needs handling. Ledlin looks a red card waiting to happen.

So probably back to the drawing board and focus on how we get to Xmas without a striker. The problem that leaves us with is how do you play both wingers and still stay tight unless it was like yesterday?

Robin
15-10-2017, 06:08 PM
Probably bring in RLC and move Townsend out wide because we need to get in behind them.

Dogburger
15-10-2017, 06:11 PM
same again for me ,I'm with Nigel

cpfc@eastbourne
15-10-2017, 06:18 PM
Match their 4-4-2 with our's with same set up but with RLC on bench ready to swap with any of the midfield 4 as they tire, if we come out like we did yesterday then we have a chance but i would respect the point

16eagles
16-10-2017, 09:15 AM
TFM isn't yet good enough at CB - he got bullied earlier in the season when he played here. But I think he will be a perfect right back. Dann will rediscover his form now he is playing in a role and formation he is more used to.

Hope your right about Dann, I personally think the best has gone.
Yeah I agree about Mensah, but we havenít seen him with Sakho in 2 - would just like to see it, I think they will complement each other.

It will be same team against Newcastle. RLC did have slight knock also. Townsend and Zaha are buzzing. You donít change that even if Benteke back arguably.

16eagles
16-10-2017, 09:17 AM
Who will take penalty if we get 1 next week!?

cpfcfan1
16-10-2017, 09:21 AM
Who will take penalty if we get 1 next week!?

Luka

sirdougie
16-10-2017, 09:24 AM
I'm not sure Zaha&Townsend as a front 2 playing against a flat back 4 would be as effective.

Maybe Townsend back out wide, with RLC replacing Schlupp through the middle. Have Zaha, Townsend and RLC (and maybe Mcarthur) rotating across the wide and forward positions.

Newcastle's defense is reasonably solid, but inexperienced and prone to errors of judgement. I think we need to keep them guessing all game, and not let them get comfortable.

16eagles
16-10-2017, 09:30 AM
Luka

Of course yes perfect silly me. Just didnít want Cabaye or Townsend against former club.

CaterhamEagle
16-10-2017, 10:31 AM
Unchanged with RLC off the bench as needed.

Having TFM, RLC and Riedewald to come into the game is very useful. All quality players. And Tomkins too if a defensive change needed.

glaziers fan
16-10-2017, 12:38 PM
I'd definitely play RLC whenever he is fit.

I'd definitely stick to 4-4-2 for the rest of the season. I'd play Zaha in that inside left forward position for the rest of the season. (I like Townsend inside right forward because he can cut in and shoot on his left, but I'd play Benteke when he is fit.)

--------------------------Speroni-----------------------------------
Ward------------Dann--------------Sakho----------------PVA
RLC-------------Cabaye------------Luka-----------------Schlupp
-----------------Townsend----------Zaha--------------------------

TheCharmer1
16-10-2017, 12:52 PM
what kit we wearing? Home?

Jman
16-10-2017, 01:04 PM
I guess with RLC returning in some capacity either starting or on the bench will mean that Kai-Kai will drop out.

A shame really that even with our desperate lack of attacking options he hadn't managed to make the breakthrough.

Maybe he will get a chance against Bristol City in the cup

SteveyHawking
16-10-2017, 01:12 PM
Speroni
Ward Dann (c) Sakho Van Aanholt
Townsend Milivojevic Cabaye Schlupp
Loftus-Cheek
Zaha

Subs: Hennessey, Fosu-Mensah, Tomkins, Riedewald, McArthur, Puncheon, Sako

Adam_Eagle
16-10-2017, 01:21 PM

That's the team

Reg_Maudling
16-10-2017, 01:36 PM
That's the team

Good team but looking at our weakest links who is going to help out our fullbacks?

brighton_eagle
16-10-2017, 01:50 PM

I like this, we can be fluid with Andros pushing up with Wilf and RLC dropping into the middle if we want to mix things up. We played very narrow out of possession on Saturday which allowed a lot of space to their wide players when they were able to switch play, which with players like Fabregas they can do very easily. That scared me and I think we rode our luck at times, but it did mean we had Hazard covered when he cut inside. Our left side was a particular concern, but it might be worth swapping PVA and Schlupp as you suggest. On paper it should be a good wide partnership with both being able to fill in for the other. Maybe they need a few games to get it worked out properly.

Ward should keep his place after his excellent performance on Saturday. I'd bring in RLC for Jimmy, but to be honest Jimmy deserves to keep his place too, and maybe RLC would be a good option from the bench if we need his ability to drive forward from the middle of the pitch.

penguin7
16-10-2017, 02:01 PM
I would not be surprised if Roy changes the formation and possibly the personnel too. Newcastle set up totally differently to Chelsea. Conte was surprised by our tactics, Benitez will now not be and has time to plan to counter them.

RLC should play if fully fit, and used centrally he can make runs into the box better than anyone. I would like to see Townsend spending more time on the left trying to get in behind to cut the ball back.

If RLC does come into midfield, he would have to replace either McArthur or Schlupp there. If it is Schlupp, he should drop back and replace PVA. The rest of the team pick themselves.

SteveyHawking
16-10-2017, 02:06 PM
A further benefit Loftus-Cheek will bring over McArthur (who I like and thought played very well on Saturday) is his ability to drive with the ball from midfield which will aid our counter attacks and also defensively when it comes to set pieces. He's a big fella and deploying him in the space in front of the near post (where Benteke - and formerly Glenn Murray - would usually occupy) could help us immensely especially against Newcastle who score a fair amount from corners and free kicks.

penguin7
16-10-2017, 02:17 PM
Good team but looking at our weakest links who is going to help out our fullbacks?

Did they need help on Saturday ?

Sceagle
16-10-2017, 02:19 PM
RLC in for Schlupp. Same team otherwise.

davo
16-10-2017, 02:25 PM
I think Roy will be a little more defensive away from home with McArthur.
Having said that I think LC has been our best players in pretty much every game he has played so very happy if he is on the team sheet.

penguin7
16-10-2017, 02:28 PM
I guess with RLC returning in some capacity either starting or on the bench will mean that Kai-Kai will drop out.

A shame really that even with our desperate lack of attacking options he hadn't managed to make the breakthrough.

Probably will. I noticed that Roy gave him a mention in a postmatch interview. Wilf and Andros surely will need a rest. Would hate to see Sako and Lee.

Mr Palace
16-10-2017, 02:59 PM
I'd keep KaiKai on the bench and drop PvA from the 18, with Schlupp going to left back and Riedewald able to cover LB if needed. Riedewald apparently played there a lot for Ajax.

I think RLC has to start as he's that good and was our best player up until his injury.

Se9 eagles
16-10-2017, 03:03 PM
RLC in for Schlupp. Same team otherwise.

Is the correct answer....

Old Bill
16-10-2017, 03:41 PM
Move Schlupp to left back in place of van Aanholt. Put Loftus-Cheek in midfield in place of Schlupp.

Eagleinmk
16-10-2017, 03:51 PM
Move Schlupp to left back in place of van Aanholt. Put Loftus-Cheek in midfield in place of Schlupp.

Is the other correct answer!

The Vicar
16-10-2017, 04:07 PM

Tend to agree

Reg_Maudling
16-10-2017, 05:20 PM
Did they need help on Saturday ?

Yes they did

TheCharmer1
16-10-2017, 05:27 PM

Sentimental clap trap. We need to win and stay up. Sod this academy dream

TheCharmer1
16-10-2017, 05:27 PM

Is the right answer.

Mictor Voses
16-10-2017, 05:42 PM
Hard to change a winning team but at the same time I can't see two wide strikers being able to break down a conventional back four like they terrorised Chelsea's back three on Saturday. I hope I'm wrong but I have a horrible feeling we may be brought back down to Earth with a bump this weekend.

arm chair eagle
16-10-2017, 05:49 PM
The way Zaha and Townsend played Saturday ,RLC could get a lot of joy playing through the middle .Jimmy Mc was awesome at the weelend

alanlee11
16-10-2017, 08:24 PM
Tough team selection, but good to have options and I do think we can't expect to play the same game plan against Newcastle. We will need to play with exactly the same intensity though. They have a lot of pace and are doing well so far this season. I would expect the front line will be tweaked a little bit, so our tactics aren't that predictable.

beef
16-10-2017, 08:25 PM
I think it would be so harsh to drop Ward and McArthur. Has to be the same team if everyone is fit. It would be great to have TFM and RLC to bring into a game.

palacemetros
16-10-2017, 08:40 PM
Would you seriously consider starting with changes after what was an outstanding team performance by the boys against the Champions? Why on earth would you.
Is it not better for RLC to have to force his way back in after yesterdays performance, also whilst coming back from injury rather than just walk back in. Yes he is our outstanding midfielder and without question would make a difference, but that win was based on team spirit and grafting for each other so why risk destroying it, having him on the bench would motivate others to up their game knowing he was on the bench to be called on when needed, the same applies to TFM.
As for the keeper, it has to be Speroni for the reliability and confidence he gives his defenders around him that makes them perform better with that belief as we have seen so many times in the past.

This. I really can't see a strong enough argument against it.

palacemetros
16-10-2017, 08:41 PM
I am not sure we can just keep yesterday's team and shape because having watched Newcastle today, the challenge is very different. They played 442 in a pretty rigid and disciplined way. They work hard and defend with 2 banks of 4. A lot goes through Shelvey. Atsu has pace but is unpredictable. Ritchie needs handling. Ledlin looks a red card waiting to happen.

So probably back to the drawing board and focus on how we get to Xmas without a striker. The problem that leaves us with is how do you play both wingers and still stay tight unless it was like yesterday?

Newcastle were the away team. Different expectations of them at St James.

16eagles
16-10-2017, 10:00 PM
https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/H4_eMYEdpKf6GY-rk0u9GfCV6TE=/1600x0/filters:no_upscale()/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/9471659/2017_10_16_17.50.35.jpg

Average formation on Saturday. Notice how it’s drawn to a Hazard I think McCauthur was key to nullify him. Victor seemed could of been real threat and Zacarardo proved that second half. Hence Punch coming on there.

aj4england
16-10-2017, 10:08 PM
Hard to change the team after than performance, but this is a squad game too. Only two changes anybody might countenance would surely be RLC for Jimmy Mc and TFM for Ward, but it's a nicer position for Hodgson to be in than he probably expected!

Plus schlup to left back and Jairo in front of him. Big pitch need plenty of energy / young legs - although 3 changes straight from the start is too many .

Chris Finch
16-10-2017, 10:14 PM
Speroni

Ward
Dann
Sakho
Schlupp

Milivojevic
Cabaye
RLC
McArthur

Townsend
Zaha

Subs: TFM, Riedewald, PVA, Puncheon, Sako, Henry, Tomkins

DARZET EAGLE
16-10-2017, 10:19 PM
Speroni

Ward
Dann
Sakho
Schlupp

Milivojevic
Cabaye
RLC
McArthur

Townsend
Zaha

Subs: TFM, Riedewald, PVA, Puncheon, Sako, Henry, Tomkins

Perfect Chris.

Hector
17-10-2017, 09:56 AM
RLC for McArthur otherwise the same. I fear Hennessey will get the nod though

Bizarro
17-10-2017, 10:32 AM
Unless there's an injury, it'll be the same team as Saturday.

aj4england
17-10-2017, 10:38 AM
RLC in for PVA, Schlupp to left back. That said I would go to a more rigid 4-5-1 with Schlupp and Townsend as wingers and Wilf up front. There is an argument not to start RLC but bring him on later as his fitness generally fades.

Nice to have some solid options on the bench.

The Vicar
17-10-2017, 10:42 AM
RLC in for PVA, Schlupp to left back

Is the correct answer. All for keeping a first XI that was successful, but PVA was the weakest link, terrible, lackadaisical defending on Chelsea's goal. RLC is too good to keep out, particularly given PVA's poor performance.

16eagles
17-10-2017, 10:44 AM
RLC for McArthur otherwise the same. I fear Hennessey will get the nod though

He bloody better not and sure he won't. Roy said before match "from what i hear Julian lost his place through injury, so i see no reason he shouldn't fight for it back"

ben1987
17-10-2017, 12:37 PM
RLC to come in for Schlupp, with Jimmy Mac being the left side of the diamond, to get up and down to help cover Ritchie. Whilst not the best defensively, PVA is more of an attacking threat and would provide some much needed width, playing the diamond formation.

strawberry mivi
17-10-2017, 12:43 PM
All set for a massive downer on Saturday following this week feeling high.
You know it, I know it.
It is the Palace way.

Same team but with a few changes. :)

Kai
17-10-2017, 12:48 PM
I think they should start easing Pape back in soon. He needs to get up to speed

Eagleinsussex
17-10-2017, 12:58 PM

Odd isn't it, you look at that formation and think how the fvck did we not get anything from the first 7 games, it's a funny old game

eaglejez
17-10-2017, 01:03 PM
Odd isn't it, you look at that formation and think how the fvck did we not get anything from the first 7 games, it's a funny old game

no wilf, Luka, sakho at many points :(

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
17-10-2017, 01:07 PM
I don't think Loftus-Cheek will be back to be honest unless others know better. Looked like he had a slight limp still on Saturday as he walked round edge of the pitch

Silks&Tekkers
17-10-2017, 01:10 PM
I don't think Loftus-Cheek will be back to be honest unless others know better. Looked like he had a slight limp still on Saturday as he walked round edge of the pitch

That is his swagger - Some fruit for his bowl.

OxtedBob
17-10-2017, 01:17 PM
Same team but with a few changes. :)

Sorry!

Mad Raschic Ken
17-10-2017, 01:35 PM
RLC in for PVA, Schlupp to left back. That said I would go to a more rigid 4-5-1 with Schlupp and Townsend as wingers and Wilf up front. There is an argument not to start RLC but bring him on later as his fitness generally fades.

Nice to have some solid options on the bench.

Personally I don't think either Townsend or Zaha have what it takes to play up front alone. When we play that way the front man gets isolated and they have both struggled on the odd occasion they've been asked to do it. The beauty of Saturday was that the two of them together had a great understanding and the partnership worked well as a result. I would go 4-4-2 again at Newcastle.

Skintagain
17-10-2017, 08:14 PM

I'd go with that.

Given that we haven't scored a league goal before then and beat the champions it would be a kick in the wedding tackle for the dropped player. Very poor psychology.

McpfcS
17-10-2017, 09:04 PM
TFM and RLC must start no matter what we did on Saturday.

jimmy the gent
17-10-2017, 09:08 PM
TFM and RLC must start no matter what we did on Saturday.

Nonsense. We just beat chelsea, in what may have been our best performance since promotion, and you want to drop Palace players to accomodate a couple of loanees? They will no doubt be given opportunities off the bench and will have to earn their place back in the team.

Maidstone Eagle
17-10-2017, 09:33 PM
So tempting to stay with the same side, BUT Newcastle will play a different formation and style to Chelsea, so RH will hope to have learned from watching them on Sunday.

Hard to leave any one individual out but RLC TFM & JR could strengthend the starting 11

Got a feeling RLC will start possibly at the expense of JMC

Nice to have decent options

teesdale99
18-10-2017, 06:02 AM
So tempting to stay with the same side, BUT Newcastle will play a different formation and style to Chelsea, so RH will hope to have learned from watching them on Sunday.

Hard to leave any one individual out but RLC TFM & JR could strengthend the starting 11

It's a tough call and nice to be in a position where it's hard to drop a player to accommodate our best player so far. It's fair to say Roy won't want to change much. I imagine (and hope) speroni will continue in goal? Most people were very surprised that Ward started at right back ahead of tfm but he had a good game and will surely keep his place unless Roy feels he needs the extra pace of tfm to cope with the different challenge/formation and atsu.

We will more than likely match up to newcastles 442. If so the only conceivable change would be to bring in rlc for either macarthur or sclupp in midfield and play him in one of the wider roles (or drop pva and move sclupp to left back)

There's also the option of reverting to 451 in an attempt to out man Newcastle in midfield. This would mean zaha up front on his own joined by an attacking midfielder (rlc) and the wide players Townsend and schlupp. This formation comes with the risk of isolating wilf (and playing too many aerial balls to him) as has happened to benteke, but gives us the option of playing what is surely our best midfield trio of Luka, cabaye and rlc.

Interesting to see if Roy sticks to a winning team and formation which is a version of the 442 he is most comfortable with or tinkers with things with a 451 horses for courses approach. I predict the former with either no changes or the one change of rlc for sclupp...

New LP
18-10-2017, 06:12 AM

I agree. It's tempting to say 'stick with the team who beat the Champions'. I get the logic.

But it's an away game against a team who set up differently to Chelsea. Whilst some continuity is welcome we should also approach it tactically with that in mind. I also think RLC should play. He's been pretty much our best player this season when fit and is one of our biggest threats.

Skintagain
18-10-2017, 08:44 AM

Football is about results.

RLC looks good when he plays but so far no assists, no goals.

Latvian Eagle
18-10-2017, 08:58 AM
Football is about results.

RLC looks good when he plays but so far no assists, no goals.

You could say the same about everyone else before Saturday?! :confused:

CPFC.1990
18-10-2017, 09:00 AM
This is a MASSIVE game. Our second game against a newly promoted club, no excuses after what we did Saturday.

We are already 8 points behind Newcastle and 17 goals worse off than them. Realistically we will be looking to finish higher than them as you would think they will be relegation rivals come March time.

out vile jelly
18-10-2017, 09:17 AM
Have thought about this and think we should start unchanged with RLC on the bench. Rewatching the Chelsea match made me realise how good a game Macca had and it makes sense to stick with the slightly more defensive player away from home, freeing up Wilf and Andros to get forward.

It will protect RLC's fitness and also how nice would it be to have an attacking player of his quality to come off the bench? It's been a while since I've felt one of our subs could really turn a game!

cdm61
18-10-2017, 09:41 AM
With Roy and Ray's magic starting to work it would be daft to start tinkering straight after the first win. Although I would drop Ward for Tim. Let the players fight it out by performing on the pitch. They've set the bar high with its up to the others to leap higher.

stevek
18-10-2017, 10:20 AM
I'd stick with the same team and formation as Saturday, though I agree with posters saying that it will be a different proposition for Wilf and Andros playing against a flat back four.

For all those saying bring in TFM for Ward - why would Roy do that when he chose Ward ahead of TFM on Saturday and it worked. It is, of course, different with RLC as he was unavailable for Saturday.

andyocpfc
18-10-2017, 10:25 AM
RLC is the real question mark in truth as heís been by far and away our best player this season, to date. Itís a tough call as Macca had a really good game on Saturday but anyone that says RLC doesnít offer more all round I would say is wrong.

Latvian Eagle
18-10-2017, 10:27 AM
RLC is the real question mark in truth as heís been by far and away our best player this season, to date. Itís a tough call as Macca had a really good game on Saturday but anyone that says RLC doesnít offer more all round I would say is wrong.

I like both players. I would start J-Mac and bring RLC on later with fresh legs.

Martin H
18-10-2017, 10:41 AM
With Roy and Ray's magic starting to work it would be daft to start tinkering straight after the first win. Although I would drop Ward for Tim. Let the players fight it out by performing on the pitch. They've set the bar high with its up to the others to leap higher.

But isn't a critical element of that 'magic' to pick and shape the best 11 players for the next match? Newcastle don't play with 3 at the back, have very different strengths and weaknesses and are playing at home.

I can't think we are yet in a situation yet of having the confidence to set out a team and a game plan and ignore the opposition. I am not sure that happens at the top even - maybe Man City at the moment could hack that. It's not in Mourinho's nature.

This is the team I think Roy could pick.

Speroni

Timbo -- Dann -- Sakho -- PVA

Luka -- Cabaye

Townsend -------------------- Zaha
Macca
Loftus-Cheek

I suspect Hennessey will benefit from another week out and just expect him to retain Jules. I will be nervous whoever is in goal but I have to admit that watching the Chelsea match a second time didn't help.

I have stuck with PVA (boom boom) for now but he should be on the post at corners/set pieces I reckon.:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash: Luka also has to start jumping/competing for headers because he has been just as bad.

Almost everything good for Newcastle comes through Shelvey in the middle. So to deal with that I have put Macca in the hole and he would look to close Shelvey down whenever we don't have the ball. We have to watch the pace of Atsu as they also use him as an out ball from defence and Dann in particular might struggle. This is another reason to bring back Timbo who will always catch him. The prime reason is that up until last week he has probably been our best defender. He could replace Dann but I suspect Ward.

Loftus Cheek up front but looking to get close to Wilf or Andros. Could draw it in all sorts of ways really. Andros and Wilf's role would be their normal front to back wing role, providing cover but they might need to adjust as that may be a stretch for Wilf.

Mr Palace
18-10-2017, 11:13 AM
I wouldn't take Zaha away from centre forward where he was superb last week. We need someone to run the channels and he did that brilliantly, as did Townsend.

I would definitely recall RLC as he is an excellent player. The only player that deserves to be dropped is PvA - I don't see how Schlupp should be dropped after playing the way he did last week. He's better at LB anyway.

As for TFM, I don't think he's a good enough CB yet but should be very good at RB. I'd keep him on the bench for this one but I expect him to be our first choice right back very soon. I think it would be tough to drop ward on the back of his performance against Chelsea. I suspect part of the reason TFM didn't start against Chelsea is that I think he was away a lot during the two week break with his country so maybe Roy went for Ward as he had time to work solidly with all the back four during training.

Speroni has to stay in goal regardless of whether Hennessey is fit. Speroni obviously isn't at the level he was but he's still at least the equal of Hennessey and I think he offers much more in terms of his leadership and personality. Hennessey has had so many chances and doesn't command any confidence so it's time for him to step aside. Either way, we need to get a new keeper in January if we can.

Wolfnipplechips
18-10-2017, 11:37 AM
You could say the same about everyone else before Saturday?! :confused:

:D

Jordan555x
18-10-2017, 11:39 AM
Dont fix something that isnt broken. Is my motto. If Loftus Cheek is fit where does he slot in?

I dont really rate Ward but he had a good game against Chelsea so he should definitely start.

Jordan555x
18-10-2017, 11:43 AM
I like both players. I would start J-Mac and bring RLC on later with fresh legs.

This. RLC is one of our best players but I think you are on to something here, RLC running at a tired Newcastle will cause problems. Ruben to score the winner.

AJ
18-10-2017, 11:50 AM
Dont fix something that isnt broken. Is my motto. If Loftus Cheek is fit where does he slot in?

I dont really rate Ward but he had a good game against Chelsea so he should definitely start.
Sometimes that can be correct, but a good manager should always pick the best team to beat the opposition.

Jordan555x
18-10-2017, 12:04 PM
Sometimes that can be correct, but a good manager should always pick the best team to beat the opposition.

Yeah but surely by default the team we fielded on Saturday is the best team? But I do understand what you are saying though, RLC in a team bustling with confidence has gotta be terrifying. Too good to drop does come to mind. Very tough decisions for Roy to make for match day but I trust him to make the right call.

Edit: surely dropping Schlupp makes more sense?

The Vicar
18-10-2017, 12:29 PM
But isn't a critical element of that 'magic' to pick and shape the best 11 players for the next match? Newcastle don't play with 3 at the back, have very different strengths and weaknesses and are playing at home.

Speroni

Luka -- Cabaye

Macca
Loftus-Cheek

Almost everything good for Newcastle comes through Shelvey in the middle. So to deal with that I have put Macca in the hole and he would look to close Shelvey down whenever we don't have the ball. We have to watch the pace of Atsu as they also use him as an out ball from defence and Dann in particular might struggle. This is another reason to bring back Timbo who will always catch him. The prime reason is that up until last week he has probably been our best defender. He could replace Dann but I suspect Ward.

Loftus Cheek up front but looking to get close to Wilf or Andros. Could draw it in all sorts of ways really. Andros and Wilf's role would be their normal front to back wing role, providing cover but they might need to adjust as that may be a stretch for Wilf.

Well-reasoned analysis, this is exactly what I would do, with no qualms, if the Chelsea match had not happened. It would be bold of Roy to take this approach, but on paper it makes a lot of sense. Only slight change might be Schlupp for PVA.

alanlee11
18-10-2017, 04:27 PM
yup, Shelvey can't be allowed time on the ball, very good at long range passing.

Bryan
18-10-2017, 05:41 PM
Despite not having a striker it does look like we do have options.

I like the idea of some form of fluid front 3 that we just tweak depending on the opposition. WZ, AT and RLC the obvious choices at the moment.

In midfield I hope we take a closer look at both Jairo and TFM as options.

PeteCampbell
19-10-2017, 06:54 AM
TFM back in for Ward

CharlieCPFC
19-10-2017, 07:41 AM
----------Speroni--------
TFM--Dann---Sakho---PVA

-----Luka----Cabaye---

Townsend--RLC--Zaha---Schlupp

Jim Cannons Moustache
19-10-2017, 08:09 AM

He's been our best player when we've had the ball, when we haven't got it he's one of our worst. He simply doesn't close down or work hard enough to win it back.
Bear in mind last weekend was all about us doing that successfully I'm not sure he walks back in.

Yet on the other hand it's hard to deny he'd offer more than Schlupp/McArthur does going forward. It's not an easy decision.

Martin H
19-10-2017, 09:33 AM
He's been our best player when we've had the ball, when we haven't got it he's one of our worst. He simply doesn't close down or work hard enough to win it back.
Bear in mind last weekend was all about us doing that successfully I'm not sure he walks back in.

Yet on the other hand it's hard to deny he'd offer more than Schlupp/McArthur does going forward. It's not an easy decision.

It's not how I remember it TBH but it seems ages since we have seen him. I thought he closed down well TBH. He did tire in the early games because he started pre season late. I do think he looked our most promising player in the games he has played and getting him into the squad makes sense.

Another major issue is that the team needs his height at both ends. PVA was supposed to mark Baka last week at corners etc..... even if he jumped there is little chance that he would ever win it.

sydnsteve
19-10-2017, 10:30 AM
Keep the same team. Bring on RLC if we go behind for Jimmy Mac. JCM makes a good point about RLC without the ball. He doesn't track back, whereas Jimmy Mac is everywhere.

Payroll Legend
19-10-2017, 10:50 AM
Does RLC work hard enough for Roy?

He puts great emphasis on work rate.

Old Joe Paxton
19-10-2017, 10:51 AM

racist..

Payroll Legend
19-10-2017, 11:09 AM
racist..

:supergrin:

Davy64
19-10-2017, 12:06 PM
Speroni

TFM -- Dann -- Sakho -- PVA

Luka -- Cabaye

Schlupp

Townsend -----RLC------ Zaha

ScottHooky
19-10-2017, 12:16 PM

I wonder if his work rate is hampered by not being Premier League match fit? As he gets used to playing week in week out you'd hope it'd improve but I don't know enough about him other than the few times I've seen him play for us.

gilesy14
19-10-2017, 12:17 PM
Scenes on Saturday afternoon when Hennessey is picked...

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/08/09/article-2023975-0D5B458600000578-725_964x498.jpg

MFBias
19-10-2017, 12:19 PM
McArthur was one of our best players against Chelsea, and so easily dropped by alot of people.

knowlesyUCLA
19-10-2017, 12:25 PM
Jules
Ward Sakho Dann PVA
RLC Luka Cabaye Schlupp
Zaha Townsend

McArthur was great against Chelsea but RLC is simply a class above.

sydnsteve
19-10-2017, 12:53 PM
RLC is more skilful than Jimmy Mac, but he has 2 problems. He tries to beat too many players, and he does not track back and tackle effectively without the ball. They are very different players, and for an away match vs a very good Newcastle side, I'd stay with a winning team with RLC on the bench.

Gregz41
19-10-2017, 08:00 PM
Very tough call on Loftus-Cheek vs Mcarthur and Fosu-Mensah vs Ward. You can make strong cases for both players. I'd expect the formation to be the same as Chelsea.

---------------------------------------Speroni-------------------------
--Ward------------------------Dann------------------Sakho----------Van Aanholt

Loftus-Cheek-------Milivojevic----------------------Cabaye-----------------Schlupp

----------------------Townsend-----------------------Zaha-----------------------------

spotkick
19-10-2017, 08:37 PM
RLC. Does he tackle does he score? Same starting 11 as last time.

Olympian2
19-10-2017, 08:44 PM
Speroni

TFM -- Dann -- Sakho -- PVA

Luka -- Cabaye

Jimmy Mac

Townsend -----RLC------ Zaha

David of Kent
19-10-2017, 08:56 PM
Same as last week with the subs as

Hennessey, Fosu-Mensah, Tomkins, Riedewald, Puncheon, Loftus-Cheek, Sako

cpfcfan1
19-10-2017, 09:02 PM

Yep totally agree

Lee sinnots ear
19-10-2017, 09:18 PM

100% agree

Yoda
19-10-2017, 09:30 PM

Yes, I think I probably agree with that.

The only small criticism I felt on Saturday was that Hodgson could have made his first sub sooner, as we were flagging. Fresh legs picked us up again and we finished more strongly than I expected.

So with R L-C on the bench this time, Iíd feel confident that heíd do a good job and should be swapped for whoever either needs a rest (or maybe has received a yellow card) at around the 60 minute mark.

palacemetros
19-10-2017, 09:59 PM
Very tough call on Loftus-Cheek vs Mcarthur and Fosu-Mensah vs Ward.

Interesting that a large number here would prefer to pick the loan players than the ones that are actually Palace players. To my mind, neither of them have the right to walk straight back in.

The Vicar
20-10-2017, 01:07 PM

Speroni

Luka -- Cabaye

Macca
Loftus-Cheek

I tend to be reluctant to change the chemistry of a winning team, but the more I think about it, the more I like your approach for this match. My only change would be Schlupp for PVA. I would also be ok with Ward for TFM given his effectiveness and form against Chelsea. But TFM's pace has great value, so either way would be ok.

Excowboy
20-10-2017, 02:01 PM

I'd rather have Kaikai on the bench than Sako

HorleyStu
20-10-2017, 05:11 PM
...................Speroni.......
Fosu-Mensah..Dann..Sakho..PVA
.......MacArthur..Cabaye..Luka.......
Townsend........RLC.............Zaha

The Vicar
20-10-2017, 06:41 PM
...................Speroni.......
Fosu-Mensah..Dann..Sakho..PVA
.......MacArthur..Cabaye..Luka.......
Townsend........RLC.............Zaha

Can't go too far wrong with the above...

Alfonso
20-10-2017, 07:02 PM
Personally I see no changes: why change something that isn't broken?

My match preview, team news & predicted line-up, here: https://youtu.be/K55IDC2Oc2w

This week's press conference: https://youtu.be/nsPm8nHeFjo

NorthPalace23
20-10-2017, 08:03 PM

Totally agree.

Loftus Cheek and Fosu Mensah are good young players, but they are massively overrated on here. Good options for our bench though.

NorthPalace23
20-10-2017, 08:04 PM
Interesting that a large number here would prefer to pick the loan players than the ones that are actually Palace players. To my mind, neither of them have the right to walk straight back in.

Agreed!

penguin7
20-10-2017, 08:39 PM

Really ? I am sure that Roy will continue to pick the players that he believes can get the best result in each game. Totally irrelevant whether they are on loan or not.

We agreed a substantial loan fee for RLC because we thought he would improve our squad, If Roy thinks he will improve our team tomorrow he will play.

Glɑzier
20-10-2017, 09:36 PM
Totally agree.

Loftus Cheek and Fosu Mensah are good young players, but they are massively overrated on here. Good options for our bench though.

They may be somewhat overrated, but I think they're still comfortably good enough for the 1st team. I would pick TFM because of his pace - I think Newcastle will sit fairly deep, and if they do, that would mean we can play a fairly high line, as then three of our back four would have decent pace. Ward does great when playing deep, as he showed, but Newcastle is a different challenge as Roy said.

I'd also play RLC (if he's trained well), then bring Macca on when he tires. A front three of him Zaha and Townsend will pose a substantially larger attacking threat - again I conceed this setup will tend to be more effective/appropriate if they lie deep.

chrisophiex
20-10-2017, 09:52 PM
If he starts WH or Punch then I'm going to lose the faith.

PALACEWU
20-10-2017, 10:02 PM
Hang in there.

DARZET EAGLE
20-10-2017, 10:07 PM
Totally agree.

Really?:wallbash:

The Vicar
20-10-2017, 10:17 PM
Roy's first XI will be very interesting tomorrow. As will be their ability to obtain a result in this specific match...

JDawg
20-10-2017, 10:31 PM
Agree with this.

Do we play Jimmy Mac or RLC?

Other than this, no change.

New LP
21-10-2017, 03:39 AM

Our priority is to try and win the game and the manager must pick the team in order to do so.

Whether a player is on loan or a permanent signing is completely irrelevant. The club opted to make 2 loan signings last summer and we have every right to use them.

New LP
21-10-2017, 03:42 AM
Personally I see no changes: why change something that isn't broken?

My match preview, team news & predicted line-up, here: https://youtu.be/K55IDC2Oc2w

This week's press conference: https://youtu.be/nsPm8nHeFjo

Because the team that was selected against Chelsea was tactically set up to play Chelsea who play 3 at the back at home.

We are playing different opponents, and so the manager may feel that different tactics and different players are more likely to get a result.

Nostrils
21-10-2017, 08:06 AM
I think this one's a game of respect the point. The good thing is we have two in form players with pace that will help us get back up the pitch. If we can disrupt Shelvey and keep up with Phillips and Atsu we have every chance of getting some points.

Normally I'd say keep the same winning team, but think Benitez will target Ward due to his lack of pace more than anything else and possibly try to exploit PVA's positioning. Can't see Loftus-Cheek playing the full 90, so think we'll get McArthur on at some point anyway, but think he adds a bit of height up front and can carry the ball out better on the break.

-----------Speroni
TFM--Dann--Sakho--Schlupp
---------Milivojevic
------Cabaye-Cheek
Townsend------------Aanholt
------------Zaha

bigend1
21-10-2017, 09:17 AM

Much like last game, in terms of starting with a fluid 442, zaha and in this case rlc roaming somewhat

I've swapped schlupp and pva. I think pva is almost a better defender but his concentration is awful. For the goal and several times, especially the offside trap pva just stops and watches. Schlupp is better and more alert to runners. Pva actually looked more of a threat going forward at times, his final ball and bar the shot composure is usually good.

Ward keeps his place. Too good to drop, he's our player and no one can deny that if we have the ward of the pulis or late sam era we've got a great rb for us. Doesn't do much good if you perform like that and get dropped for a loan player.

Jimmy gets dropped for a loan player! :rolleyes: haha. Too much of an upgrade in quality and Jimmy will come on for cabaye once his legs have burnt out. Not though a lack of fitness but because I want to see him play like he did against Chelsea. Cabaye was superb!

Townsend goes to the wing despite a great performance upfront simply because I think he's better on the wing than rlc but rlc could do a very good job with zaha upfront and drop back in and support the midfield when required

Jules keeps his place. I was nervous he'd just be past it but he played well bar a poor kick. Love you jules

Dann and Sakho looked good

A shameless self bump as I still would go for that but sticking to the side that beat Chelsea would also make me happy.

Looking forward to today with a little optimism so expecting crushing depression this evening

NorthPalace23
21-10-2017, 10:37 AM
Really?:wallbash:

Loftus Cheek isn't good enough to walk into our 1st team. He is overrated.

Why would anyone deserve to be dropped after last weeks game? Joel Ward and James McArthur were terrific. I see no reason for them to be replaced by loanees.

Martin H
21-10-2017, 10:54 AM

Why would anyone deserve to be dropped after last weeks game? Joel Ward and James McArthur were terrific. I see no reason for them to be replaced by loanees.

When playing before he had looked like our best player prior to the Chelsea game. I think that gives him a good chance of starting and especially because he brings extra height to a team struggling in the air. Roy has to pick what he sees as his best team. Not sure the 'who deserves to be dropped' is really a factor is it? i.e. Would we have left Wilf on the bench if RLC had played last week?

The good thing is that for the first time this season it looks as if we have an impressive bench and starting 11 albeit without a proper CF.

beef
21-10-2017, 10:57 AM

I think not changing a winning team is a myth. You have to put the best team to face the opposition. Fit players need to come back in too - Hennessey for example.

Yoda
21-10-2017, 11:08 AM
I think not changing a winning team is a myth. You have to put the best team to face the opposition. Fit players need to come back in too - Hennessey for example.

Grab a tin hat quickly!

bigend1
21-10-2017, 11:53 AM
The other reason is stick with the 442 (ish) we played against against Chelsea is it looked very much like we trained for that game for 2 weeks. The players looked like they knew thier roles and executed it well. I'd stick Townsend on the right and rlc up with zaha as I think that's stronger than Jimmy on the right with Townsend up front but the system shouldn't change too much. It was well drilled

Mr Palace
21-10-2017, 11:56 AM

Is that a wind up? I imagine I've been whooshed...

palacelad197o
21-10-2017, 01:04 PM

Last weeks winning team unchanged for Newcastle confirmed

The Vicar
21-10-2017, 10:42 PM
I am strongly biased in favor of sticking with a winning first XI, but against Newcastle it was a mistake to not include RLC in place of either PVA or Schlupp, and we needed to employ a different formation. Roy deserves the plaudits for getting it so right last week, but should have had more courage to bring in RLC from the get-go against Newcastle.

Fine margins, innit.

Martin H
21-10-2017, 11:09 PM
I am strongly biased in favor of sticking with a winning first XI, but against Newcastle it was a mistake to not include RLC in place of either PVA or Schlupp, and we needed to employ a different formation. Roy deserves the plaudits for getting it so right last week, but should have had more courage to bring in RLC from the get-go against Newcastle.

Fine margins, innit.

Have to agree with what you say as principles rather than from watching the match. TBH unless RLC isn't fully fit or under medical direction, I can't see how you leave him out TBH. For me, it's the same with Timbo. These are 2 very good players

The Vicar
21-10-2017, 11:19 PM
Have to agree with what you say as principles rather than from watching the match. TBH unless RLC isn't fully fit or under medical direction, I can't see how you leave him out TBH. For me, it's the same with Timbo. These are 2 very good players

Agree 100 percent. But still strongly biased in keeping a winning team together, but I would not have done it vs. the Toon.

McpfcS
21-10-2017, 11:24 PM
Iím strongly in favour of playing your best players whether that means breaking up a winning team or not. TFM and RLC have to start.

The Vicar
22-10-2017, 01:29 PM
Iím strongly in favour of playing your best players whether that means breaking up a winning team or not. TFM and RLC have to start.

Hopefully a lesson learned going forward for Roy.