PDA

View Full Version : Roy Hodgson Can Make Palace A Top 10 Side

hdeagle
20-10-2017, 09:05 AM
This reasoned article is looking at the bigger picture and not basing Palace's season on our disastrous start with a weakened team.

There are 30 games to go and that is plenty of time for Palace to turn their season around with having their star players back making them a completely different team to play against as Chelsea found out.

Nice to see the media looking at the bigger picture and not just judging Roy Hodgson on the Iceland result.

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/rated-roy-hodgson-will-turn-crystal-palace-top-ten-side-090855917.html

COYP

Pikie Punisher
20-10-2017, 09:14 AM
If Roy can get us anywhere in the top 17 I'll be happy!

Urine Mattress
20-10-2017, 09:23 AM
hdeagle is right - it's time we turned our attentions to thoughts of Europe

Pikie Punisher
20-10-2017, 09:27 AM

Yep, the summer holiday brochures will soon be out, I fancy a knees up in Benidorm in July :p

Maidstoned Eagle
20-10-2017, 09:27 AM

Sod Europe....how about THE WORLD!!?????

Hector
20-10-2017, 09:32 AM
Lets get out of the relegation zone first. That may well be the extent of our achievements this season.

Palace Bear
20-10-2017, 09:36 AM
Lets get out of the relegation zone first. That may well be the extent of our achievements this season.

We can still catch Man City you know, don't be so defeatist.

Maidstoned Eagle
20-10-2017, 09:36 AM

Where's your ambition!? I'm looking forward to us being the first team to compete in the United Federation of Planets Champions League.

Shoreditch CPFC
20-10-2017, 10:24 AM
If you actually read it it says we can become a top 10 side but still has the aim this season of survival.

Mr Palace
20-10-2017, 10:35 AM
We'd all accept a 17th placed finish now for this season - I'd snap your hands off for that. Then hopefully we can remove the dead wood from the squad and being in some quality. We've practically started the season with a 20 man squad, that's how weak our squad is this season, so I'm sure we can do better in future.

But I think it's becoming increasingly difficult for most clubs to consider themselves an established premier league club these days - unless you are one of the top 6, then pretty much any club could go down if everything went against them. As we've seen, it only takes ones awful managerial appointment - as we had with FDB - to put clubs like us in grave danger. Swansea felt like an established premier league club until they made some bad managerial choices and now they are going to continue to struggle by the looks of it.

I'm not sure we'll ever be a comfortable premier league club but I don't see any reason why we can't get close to stoke in terms of their consistency.

RAB
20-10-2017, 10:55 AM
This reasoned article is looking at the bigger picture and not basing Palace's season on our disastrous start with a weakened team.

There are 30 games to go and that is plenty of time for Palace to turn their season around with having their star players back making them a completely different team to play against as Chelsea found out.

Nice to see the media looking at the bigger picture and not just judging Roy Hodgson on the Iceland result.

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/rated-roy-hodgson-will-turn-crystal-palace-top-ten-side-090855917.html

COYP

Thanks for posting this link hd.

I am naturally pessimistic so this was a good read and gives me a lift like most of your posts. :p

Selhurst Celtic
20-10-2017, 10:57 AM

Amen. I'm currently learning how to say "Where is your town square and does it have any plastic garden furniture that I can chuck at the police?" in Slovenian.

DARZET EAGLE
20-10-2017, 11:01 AM
Very good article, it's good to have some positive media written about our Club and particularly it's Manager.

Maidstoned Eagle
20-10-2017, 11:03 AM
Amen. I'm currently learning how to say "Where is your town square and does it have any plastic garden furniture that I can chuck at the police?" in Slovenian.

Kje je vaš mestni trg in ali ima plastično vrtno pohištvo, ki ga lahko preidem na policijo?

DARZET EAGLE
20-10-2017, 11:11 AM
Kje je vaš mestni trg in ali ima plastično vrtno pohištvo, ki ga lahko preidem na policijo?

Eh?:eek:

west country boy
20-10-2017, 11:20 AM
Amen. I'm currently learning how to say "Where is your town square and does it have any plastic garden furniture that I can chuck at the police?" in Slovenian.Is Slovak any good for you?

"Rád by som vedel, kde sa nachádza Vaše mestské námestie a či sú tam nejaké terasy, nech možem nejaké plastové stoličky hádzať po policajtoch."

Eagle's Nest
20-10-2017, 11:32 AM
People forget about Hart's performance during that game against Iceland. We may as well have just rolled a wheelie bin into the middle of the penalty area that day.

Urine Mattress
20-10-2017, 11:34 AM

I will not be at the town square, I'm bringing my own pork belly and rice

Jim Cannon
20-10-2017, 11:38 AM
Look everyone knows how unfair it is that Palace got injuries. And we had some tough games. We will sweep Burnley, Huddersfield and Swansea under the carpet. But yeah, if we stay up I am sure SP will arrange a jolly in Europe for the lads

Pikie Punisher
20-10-2017, 11:57 AM
But I think it's becoming increasingly difficult for most clubs to consider themselves an established premier league club these days - unless you are one of the top 6, then pretty much any club could go down if everything went against them. As we've seen, it only takes ones awful managerial appointment - as we had with FDB - to put clubs like us in grave danger. Swansea felt like an established premier league club until they made some bad managerial choices and now they are going to continue to struggle by the looks of it.

Look at Everton, established Premier League club, Ł150 million just spunked on players, massive wage bill, poor and boring football with a manager who they thought was world class, it's not as easy as some people on here think is it.

sw16girl
20-10-2017, 11:59 AM
It is a good article and in fact the eye catching headline does it an injustice.

I had to laugh at the description of Hodgsons time at Fulham as being the highlight of his career though - talk about blinkered - Malmo or Switzerland probably qualify for that

st albans
20-10-2017, 12:01 PM
We'd all accept a 17th placed finish now for this season - I'd snap your hands off for that. Then hopefully we can remove the dead wood from the squad and being in some quality. We've practically started the season with a 20 man squad, that's how weak our squad is this season, so I'm sure we can do better in future.

i feel like the above comment has been said at the end of the last 4 seasons. we never learn. guaranteed if we stay up the first thing we'll do is offer mutch, damo, williams new contracts and let cabaye and others leave on a free

Jim Cannon
20-10-2017, 12:05 PM
Look at Everton, established Premier League club, Ł150 million just spunked on players, massive wage bill, poor and boring football with a manager who they thought was world class, it's not as easy as some people on here think is it.

Everton are a funny one. Due to them having been in the top flight for 47,000 years nobody imagines them ever going down. They also thought Roberto Martinez was the nuts before finding out he wasn't.

AJ
20-10-2017, 12:10 PM
Maybe top 10 in the Championship! 1 win and 2 goals in 8 is still very poor and RH has been here for 4 of those games, where we shipped 11 goals.

Palace Bear
20-10-2017, 12:22 PM
Maybe top 10 in the Championship! 1 win and 2 goals in 8 is still very poor and RH has been here for 4 of those games, where we shipped 11 goals.

I don't for a minute think we'll be top ten, but bit harsh on Roy. Most teams have been letting in similar amounts against both Manchester clubs before we played them. Don't forget Man City scored 7 against Stoke. If he'd had all 8 games, it's hard to imagine we'd be in the spot we are in now.

rambo1
20-10-2017, 12:24 PM

Forget about Europe,Disregarding the Cups,Top 10 achievable,however.

Selhurst Celtic
20-10-2017, 12:25 PM
Everton are a funny one. Due to them having been in the top flight for 47,000 years nobody imagines them ever going down.

'No' Hans Segers has a lot to answer for. I expect the brown envelopes were some consolation to him though.

Nostrils
20-10-2017, 01:09 PM
There are some right bellends on the comments list - I bet Hodgey supports Man Utd.

17th and anything above is an absolute bonus. I think/hope we'll get 14th again though.

jimmy the gent
20-10-2017, 01:23 PM
Totally agree. After our success in the Chelsea game it's time to start putting the ball at risk, playing a more expansive game and stop thinking of ourselves as 'little Palace'. A few more mavericks in the team come January and we'll be pushing for Europa easy...

sheepy
20-10-2017, 01:34 PM
Cue Gayle scoring in the first 5 mins and the traditional BBS meltdown

bgraham
20-10-2017, 01:38 PM
Cue Gayle scoring in the first 5 mins and the traditional BBS meltdown

Gayle is injured.

Reg_Maudling
20-10-2017, 01:47 PM
one win only and its thoughts of top 10

I would be very happy and relieved to finish 17th this year

why not champions league by the way?

Jim Cannon
20-10-2017, 02:15 PM
Gayle is always injured.

EFA

Worksop Palace
20-10-2017, 02:36 PM
Forget about Europe,Disregarding the Cups,Top 10 achievable,however.

Nope

Nigelbrag
20-10-2017, 05:24 PM

I'm not sure we'll ever be a comfortable premier league club but I don't see any reason why we can't get close to stoke in terms of their consistency.

Good assessment.
I think your example of Swansea was spot on, another i would throw into the mix is the slow demise of Southampton, both epitomised how a club should be developed on the right lines but somehow it all fell away, as you rightly say due to poor managerial appointments.
As for Palace and FDB, i would say we had a promising manager in the making but chose the wrong club and chairman, who lacked the belief or patience to see through his convictions of the man he believed to be right choice when he appointed him. Afterall he knew what to expect with FDB and said so at the time, but somewhere along the line there was a breakdown in relationship for whatever reasons, so the split was inevitable.
WE have had TWO managers in Pulis and Allardyce who were the perfect fit for a club like Palace to have taken the club forward, but again it was not to be for whatever reasons, and then a complete shift in thinking with FDB, was clear to see it was NOT for CPFC and certainly not the place to experiment with in the premiership without dire consequences, as it proved.
Now i feel we have a good manager again in Roy Hodgson, who will prove to be a shrewd appointment and i do hope we stick with him to see out his contract if not longer, as i feel he will lay the foundations for a solid base to build on for the future. Lets all hope so.

CPFC.1990
20-10-2017, 05:26 PM

COYP

The article says that Van Aanholt and Jason Puncheon are at least mid table quality. That says to me he hasn't seen us play.

CPFC.1990
20-10-2017, 05:28 PM
The BBS will go into meltdown at 5.15 tomorrow if we lose.

alexcpfc
20-10-2017, 05:37 PM
The BBS will go into meltdown at 5.15 tomorrow if we lose.

The hysteria will return no doubt. Will be happy with a point.

Good Shipp
20-10-2017, 05:47 PM
Strangely I think we could find it as easy or hard to finish top 10 than to just stay up. There are a number of clubs that we can leapfrog if we play well enough for the rest of the season. On the other hand I think enough of those clubs will do enough to get in or around the 40 point mark as well. Last season there were only 6 points between 8th and 17th and I can see something similar this season. My personal feeling.

strawberry mivi
20-10-2017, 06:17 PM
Quote from article - No manager should be judged on a single 90 minutes of football no matter how appalling. But following England’s diabolical display against Iceland, ...

We are in danger of basing our optimism on 90 minutes against Chelsea.

Reg_Maudling
20-10-2017, 06:22 PM
40 years of managerial success in different countries and some want to judge him on one game against iceland

hdeagle
20-10-2017, 06:24 PM
Newcastle and West Ham have the HMRC cases hanging over them which could lead to point deductions depending on their severity of the amount of reported tax fraud.

hdeagle
20-10-2017, 06:29 PM
Palace played very similar in the Huddersfield cup win to the way that we beat Chelsea and this style of breaking from defence to midfield is very difficult to play against when you have pace in the side.

Maiden Eagle
20-10-2017, 06:33 PM
The article says that Van Aanholt and Jason Puncheon are at least mid table quality. That says to me he hasn't seen us play.

Riedewald has only played one game (and had a mare), so how can he be mentioned in this group, as well ?

rhiannapaul
20-10-2017, 06:44 PM
Wot bolloxs

beef
20-10-2017, 06:49 PM
The BBS is manic

Mr Palace
20-10-2017, 07:10 PM

Absolutely. It's always going to be perilous for clubs like us.

bhb
20-10-2017, 07:23 PM

I can’t pos rep you for this, but you owe me a pint: beer spat!

red&blue_moomin
20-10-2017, 09:31 PM
People forget about Hart's performance during that game against Iceland. We may as well have just rolled a wheelie bin into the middle of the penalty area that day.

He'd probably been taking tips off Wayne.

Worksop Palace
21-10-2017, 07:38 AM
Newcastle and West Ham have the HMRC cases hanging over them which could lead to point deductions depending on their severity of the amount of reported tax fraud.

You, my friend, are a mental

917L
21-10-2017, 08:01 AM

Not a prayer of them having points deducted

liberal clubber
21-10-2017, 01:12 PM
I live in hope. It’s about time the premier league showed some cohunas

BERT'S HEAD
21-10-2017, 01:15 PM
I live in hope. It’s about time the premier league showed some cohunas

Stop talking bollocks, it's cojones.

DocSavage
21-10-2017, 01:20 PM
i love it here, such warmth, so much camaraderie, such empathy and understanding :)

Penstone Eagle
21-10-2017, 01:22 PM

Lol

jimmy the gent
21-10-2017, 01:37 PM
40 years of managerial success in different countries and some want to judge him on one game against iceland

To be fair he was shit for England, just like Cappello, McLaren, and as will Southgate be. It was an awful appointment, he's a 100% club manager, works teams hard in his style. What England needed was a motivator like 'Arry, but the FA were typically conservative and wanted a company man.

Malarkey
21-10-2017, 03:54 PM
Not if he is as bad as that.

gilesy14
21-10-2017, 03:56 PM
Best thing about losing to Newcastle is hopefully hdeagle will shut up with his nonsensical bollocks.

Top 10 & we don't even have a striker?! Haha, **** off.

Malarkey
21-10-2017, 03:57 PM
Best thing about losing to Newcastle is hopefully hdeagle will shut up with his nonsensical bollocks.

And we don't make a substitution for 80 minutes. And take off our only player capable of doing anything.

HRP
21-10-2017, 03:59 PM

The mighty illustrious Crystal Palace lost unfairly and were cheated by the officials against Newcastle , when all of the injured players come back the magnificent Crystal Palace will be pushing for a champions league place .
Hdeagle

Malarkey
21-10-2017, 04:00 PM
The mighty illustrious Crystal Palace lost unfairly and were cheated by the officials against Newcastle , when all of the injured players come back the magnificent Crystal Palace will be pushing for a champions league place .

COYP WE ARE FINISHING IN THE TOP 10

Hdeagle

efa

gilesy14
21-10-2017, 04:02 PM
And we don't make a substitution for 80 minutes. And take off our only player capable of doing anything.

Mind blowing. Absolutely appalling game management from Hodgson.

How many top 10 teams lose to Huddersfield, Swansea, Burnley, Southampton & Newcastle as well? Can't believe this thread even exists. ******* embarrassing.

jaspercpfc
21-10-2017, 04:03 PM

your negativity and constant bemoaning indicates you are not a Palace fan. Your constant berating and mocking of all things CPFC is draining
COYP

is the response I'm expecting you'll receive from HD eagle

Malarkey
21-10-2017, 04:04 PM

How many Premier League teams lose to Huddersfield, Swansea, Burnley, Southampton & Newcastle as well? Can't believe this thread even exists. ******* embarrassing.

efa

eaglejez
21-10-2017, 04:04 PM
he really really can't

Loafster
21-10-2017, 04:30 PM
Top 10 in the Championship at this rate

November85
21-10-2017, 04:49 PM
Top 10 in the Championship at this rate
I'd be happy enough with that next season to be honest.

danpalace07
21-10-2017, 05:04 PM
do well to finish 18th at this rate

Windsor_Eagle
21-10-2017, 05:15 PM

How many top 10 teams lose to Huddersfield, Swansea, Burnley, Southampton & Newcastle as well? Can't believe this thread even exists. ******* embarrassing.

Firstly, this was an independent article that suggested that following survival 10th is not out of the question NEXT SEASON.

Secondly, Roy cannot be blamed for Hudds, Burnley, Swansea and would be harsh to lay Southampton at his door.

We also deserved at least a point today. Since he has been here we have only deservedly been taken apart by the Manc clubs. Not exactly shameful.

This Palace side, in my mind is somewhat divorced from the team that played from Hudds - Southampton (inclusive). That side looked lost, utterly bereft of belief and endeavour.

Since then we have had a good 45 against Man City (arguably the best any side has managed over 45 at the Etihad this season), a few OK spells against Man U, brilliant v Chelsea and decent enough today. Yes, today's result in the context of the season is bitterly disappointing and Roy didn't manage the game particularly well from 70 minutes onwards but respecting the point was the right tactic (IMO) and very fine margins have taken what would have been a very positive point from our clutches.

I firmly believe we can do this (get out of this hole) based on what I have seen since Roy came in.

Jim Cannon
21-10-2017, 05:17 PM

Please just stop it

Maiden Eagle
21-10-2017, 05:17 PM
I actually don't know what is worse.

HDeagle saying 'I told you so' if we win.

Or one of his endless excuses when we lose !

Maiden Eagle
21-10-2017, 05:19 PM

Oh FFS !! Have you just made this up ??

beef
21-10-2017, 05:49 PM
The BBS is manic

cough

Dobbo
21-10-2017, 05:54 PM
Oh FFS !! Have you just made this up ??

Just pray for 10 points each club mate !

Worksop Palace
22-10-2017, 07:33 AM
Firstly, this was an independent article that suggested that following survival 10th is not out of the question NEXT SEASON.

Secondly, Roy cannot be blamed for Hudds, Burnley, Swansea and would be harsh to lay Southampton at his door.

We also deserved at least a point today. Since he has been here we have only deservedly been taken apart by the Manc clubs. Not exactly shameful.

This Palace side, in my mind is somewhat divorced from the team that played from Hudds - Southampton (inclusive). That side looked lost, utterly bereft of belief and endeavour.

Since then we have had a good 45 against Man City (arguably the best any side has managed over 45 at the Etihad this season), a few OK spells against Man U, brilliant v Chelsea and decent enough today. Yes, today's result in the context of the season is bitterly disappointing and Roy didn't manage the game particularly well from 70 minutes onwards but respecting the point was the right tactic (IMO) and very fine margins have taken what would have been a very positive point from our clutches.

I firmly believe we can do this (get out of this hole) based on what I have seen since Roy came in.

If we deserved a point, we would have got one

We didn't get one so we didn't deserve one

Penstone Eagle
22-10-2017, 08:08 AM

This. You deserve nothing when you are wasteful and sloppy.

CharlieCPFC
22-10-2017, 08:19 AM
So you're telling me every result in football is deserved? Sorry but that's bollocks, Football is the most ruthless game out there.

We weren't sloppy or wasteful, in fact we were very organised and assured both with and without the ball. I didn't go to the Chelsea game last week but yesterday was the best I'd seen us play for ages.

If had Benteke we'd have won that, all ifs and buts I know but the fault lays into the hierarchys hands for allowing us to be in such a poor predicament.

Windsor_Eagle
22-10-2017, 08:20 AM

Yeah, 'cos that's how it works :rolleyes:

Windsor_Eagle
22-10-2017, 08:25 AM
So you're telling me every result in football is deserved? Sorry but that's bollocks, Football is the most ruthless game out there.

We weren't sloppy or wasteful, in fact we were very organised and assured both with and without the ball. I didn't go to the Chelsea game last week but yesterday was the best I'd seen us play for ages.

If had Benteke we'd have won that, all ifs and buts I know but the fault lays into the hierarchys hands for allowing us to be in such a poor predicament.

Don't go posting non-hysterical, considered opinions - they're not welcome around here after a defeat.

You know the rules - if we win we were lucky and didn't deserve it (papering over the cracks). When we lose, regardless of the performance, it is utterly deserved because we are useless.

I'm not too sure what we're supposed to get out of supporting Palace other than misery.

Nostrils
22-10-2017, 08:27 AM
Like others on here I understand why he took Wilf off, he was looking tired, at risk from injury and one more niggly foul would've been a yellow imo. I'm not sure using exactly the same formation up top helped much, and maybe Reidewald and Punch should've came on with RLC coming on much earlier, but overall he has us motivated and organised, so I for one am keeping the faith in Roy.

Kylie_Tracey
22-10-2017, 08:42 AM
not in a million years

HurstpierPalace
22-10-2017, 08:45 AM

Exactly. The team played well yesterday and up until the last 10 Newcastle were piss poor. Football is a right **** sometimes.

newish eagle
22-10-2017, 08:56 AM
The lack of a striker yesterday was a grim reminder of our transfer failings.

In the first half when Andros stood up that cross at the back post, you would have fancied Benteke, Wickham or any striker who is decent in the air to have buried it. Wilf mistimed it. Was also glaring that when we did get into some threatening positions out wide yesterday there was absolutely no one in the box.

Everyone knows you need a fifteen goals a season man to have a chance of survival, our one striker is out injured.

gilesy14
22-10-2017, 09:10 AM
Don't go posting non-hysterical, considered opinions - they're not welcome around here after a defeat.

You know the rules - if we win we were lucky and didn't deserve it (papering over the cracks). When we lose, regardless of the performance, it is utterly deserved because we are useless.

I'm not too sure what we're supposed to get out of supporting Palace other than misery.

Why don’t you have a little look at the league table & see why such hysteria is currently fully warranted?

Windsor_Eagle
22-10-2017, 09:16 AM
Why don’t you have a little look at the league table & see why such hysteria is currently fully warranted?

Fully aware of it thanks. Not a post can go by where it is not mentioned.

There is zero grey on this site. It is absurd. No reflection on the actual match ever takes place. We win and everyone thinks it is the second coming. Every defeat and it is unparalleled doom.

Roy has it spot on and said after Chelsea that moods oscillate wildly week to week based purely on result. However, we must remain level headed and focus on the process and the performances.

Yesterday was a solid performance coming after last weeks excellent win. Yes, we are all pissed at the result, but the performance barometer shows stark improvement from just a few weeks ago.

So whilst there is plenty of reason to remain concerned, there is also sufficient reason to be not entirely bereft of hope.

exiledeagle
22-10-2017, 09:31 AM
Fully aware of it thanks. Not a post can go by where it is not mentioned.

There is zero grey on this site. It is absurd. No reflection on the actual match ever takes place. We win and everyone thinks it is the second coming. Every defeat and it is unparalleled doom.

Roy has it spot on and said after Chelsea that moods oscillate wildly week to week based purely on result. However, we must remain level headed and focus on the process and the performances.

Yesterday was a solid performance coming after last weeks excellent win. Yes, we are all pissed at the result, but the performance barometer shows stark improvement from just a few weeks ago.

So whilst there is plenty of reason to remain concerned, there is also sufficient reason to be not entirely bereft of hope.

Agree with some of your comments but we are a quarter way through the season . We cannot continue to fail to pick up any points against the likes of Huddersfield , Swansea, Burnley , Southampton , Newcastle . We will have too much to do unless we start winning games . P9 W1 D0 L8 , scored in only one game , no clean sheets .

eaglejez
22-10-2017, 09:57 AM
we'll need 3 teams with 15 point deductions at this rate :(

jaspercpfc
22-10-2017, 10:24 AM
we'll need 3 teams with 15 point deductions at this rate :(

http://www.cpfc.org/forums/showpost.php?p=13902519&postcount=42 ;););)

andy m
22-10-2017, 11:20 AM
Yeah, 'cos that's how it works :rolleyes:

Well it sort of is. I lose count of the number of measures that people use to suggest their team was the better of two and were therefore unlucky if they didn't win - possession, shots, shots on target, corners, completed passes etc etc. Players are considered good if they operated mostly in the opposition half or covered more ground than their team mates. But the rules only reward one measure, and Newcastle were better than us in that regard simply because they scored a goal and didn't concede any. All the rest of it just obscures the actual aim of the game - to outscore the opposition. So, if you switch off in defensive situations, concede goals that keepers should save and miss chances when you come your way then what you deserve is defeat and we very much got what we deserved yesterday.