PDA

View Full Version : Player Ratings And Reviews: vs Newcastle (away)

glaziers fan
21-10-2017, 04:32 PM
Decent performance from the players. Hodgson got what he deserved if Wilf was not injured. Absolutely furious. RLC (MOM in all his starts) should not have been on the bench anyway. Awful sub

Speroni 6 fine. Can't kick but deserves to hold the shirt

PVA 7 like him. Tries to make things happen
Sakho 6 calm
Dann 6 solid
Ward 7 good game

Schlupp 5 what did he add?
Luka 6 ok
Cabaye 7 fine. Extra point for a superb tackle.

Townsend 7 bright
Zaha 7 MOM did very well when given service

Hodgson 0 he was the clown of the match. Not going to get supporters onside with subs like that. But hopefully he will learn. That is close to a sackable offence. And I am only half-joking. Not going to get the fans onside like that is he?

andyocpfc
21-10-2017, 04:44 PM
On the metro in Newcastle on the way home (bloody long way) pissed off and not quite understanding how we lost that. We were comfortable but somehow it seemed inevitable that they would score a late goal. Just knew it was gonna happen although there was no reason to think it was gonna happen. I might get pissed to console myself, oh no, iíve gotta bloody drive later too FFS. I might take up chess as a hobby, surely if you lose it doesnít feel as bad?

Ps - how close was that late PVA chance as I couldnít see from the other end?

CPFC.1990
21-10-2017, 04:44 PM
PVA a 7. Oh my word.

Keith Powell
21-10-2017, 04:47 PM
PVA a 7. Oh my word.

Missed a sitter

glaziers fan
21-10-2017, 04:48 PM
PVA a 7. Oh my word.

Very good going forward. Don't tell me he was assigned Merino? I left before they scored. He shouldn't mark anyone at a corner or free kick; he's AWFUL in the air.

TheCharmer1
21-10-2017, 04:48 PM
Extremely frustrating. An excellent and controlled away performance, where we deserved a point at the very least.

If you want to bring on RLC, take off Mcarthur or Schlupp, not our main outlet. It meant we sat deeper and deeper, and Roy was telling the players that too. That gave newcastle and their fans hope, when they otherwise had none, and then the goal was inevitable.

Respect the point I get, but extremely poor in game management by Roy.

TrickyD
21-10-2017, 04:49 PM
If we'd had a forward and a keeper upgrade we'd have won. Those decisions look like costing us dear.
Sakho for me. Defence worries me at every corner mind.

TheCharmer1
21-10-2017, 04:50 PM
Very good going forward. Don't tell me he was assigned Merino? I left before they scored. He shouldn't mark anyone at a corner or free kick; he's AWFUL in the air.

mcarthur's

glaziers fan
21-10-2017, 04:50 PM
Oh didn't see the late PVA chance. Digusted with the manager by then. What was score when Wilf went off?

glaziers fan
21-10-2017, 04:51 PM
mcarthur's

Fair enough. Drop him for the next. He's ok as a squad player. But should never stay on ahead of Wilf.

TheCharmer1
21-10-2017, 04:52 PM
Oh didn't see the late PVA chance. Digusted with the manager by then. What was score when Wilf went off?

Read my original post, 0-0

HurstpierPalace
21-10-2017, 04:52 PM
Football is shit. God is a Brighton fan. We played well but I called 1-0 Newcastle at half time. At least I've got a bed up here tonight so can drink. **** football.

Owngoal
21-10-2017, 04:53 PM
Need to get LB sorted out. Speroni had sweet FA to do all match and was all over the place for the goal, two kicks straight into touch and lucky not to have conceded when he pushed the ball out when easier to hold. Ward, Dann and the man who saved another goal Sakho all did well. Midfield 3 good but Sculpt should not have played, RLC should have started. Wilf and Andros did well but could not score. Right result should have been a draw. Needed quicker substitution from Roy to change match around.

TheCharmer1
21-10-2017, 04:53 PM
Fair enough. Drop him for the next. He's ok as a squad player. But should never stay on ahead of Wilf.

I actually thought he played well, but was tiring and either him or the ineffectual schlep could have been replaced. Wilf's face told you everything !

Owngoal
21-10-2017, 04:55 PM
Newcastle fans are a subspecies of Millwall fans. Hope that is not considered racist.

Mr Palace
21-10-2017, 04:55 PM
Hodgson cost us at least a point with his horrendous decision to sub Wilf. What on earth was he thinking? Newcastle knew we had nothing up front when he went off. It's one of the worst decisions of an already awful season.

The lack of strikers again cost us badly. No shots on target against an awful Newcastle team says it all. They were there for the taking but we have nothing up front. How can we expect to eek out points with such a lack of options in the final third? Townsend works so hard but he just cannot shoot - he should be getting 8-10 goals a season in the position he plays but he never looks like scoring.

That defeat is very hard to take but it's our own fault.

Speroni - 6 - looked solid. Can't be blamed for the goal IMO.

Ward - 6 - he's ok but doesn't get forward effectively and him and McArthur meant our right side was wasted. Did we need such a defensive right side when they didn't have anyone decent down the left?
PvA - 5 - I don't see how this guy starts games. He's so weak and cannot be relied upon. He's a poor defender and was supposed to be a threat going forward but that part of his game has been non-existent this season. he bottled that easy tap in because he didn't want to get hurt. If we're going down then please don't let us have to watch players like him every week.
Dann - 7 - in control and looked good.
Sakho - 6 - a few heart in mouths moments and his passing wasn't as concise as it normally is.

Luka - 6 - not as good as last week but did ok.
Cabaye - 5 - went missing most of the game. No creativity and poor set-pieces. Lucky to avoid a red card and then he didn't turn up for the second half.
McArthur - 5 - I can see why we played him against the chamoions last week but why play him against a poor Newcastle team? He's a great pro and works hard but adds very little as a creative force.
Schlupp - 4 - painful to watch. I can't recall one decent run from him. Goes missing all the time.
Townsend - 6 - great workrate but again lacking an end product. We need him to step up and start scoring but he seems incapable.
Wilf - 6 - again, good workrate and effort and had to live off scraps. Awful decision to sub him.

Subs
RLC - one great ball across for PvA which was easier to score than miss. Not on long enough sadly.
Sako - don't recall him touching the ball.

Hodgson - 5 - very negative today and his substitution of Wilf handed them the initiative. I hope he isn't always so dour in his approach as one point per game won't be enough from this position.

glaziers fan
21-10-2017, 04:57 PM
I actually thought he played well, but was tiring and either him or the ineffectual schlep could have been replaced. Wilf's face told you everything !

He was furious. And rightly so. I'd rather take off Speroni and play without a keeper. Ridiculous management to take off our talisman. I'm glad it backfired. One step back to take 3 steps forward. We controlled the game with Wilf on the pitch.

Mr Palace
Extremely frustrating. An excellent and controlled away performance, where we deserved a point at the very least.

If you want to bring on RLC, take off Mcarthur or Schlupp, not our main outlet. It meant we sat deeper and deeper, and Roy was telling the players that too. That gave newcastle and their fans hope, when they otherwise had none, and then the goal was inevitable.

Respect the point I get, but extremely poor in game management by Roy.

Fully agree.

Owngoal

Schluup is the weakest link along with PVA. 30 million and we have not got a nailed on LB. should have got Robbie Brady and we would also have had some decent free kicks. Souare to return if fit.

Golf Boy
21-10-2017, 04:59 PM
Would Wilf have saved the goal?

glaziers fan
21-10-2017, 05:02 PM

Yes. He'd have blocked it and run the whole length of the pitch and slotted in at the other end.

CPFC_Fan
21-10-2017, 05:11 PM
On way home from the game now and we didn't exactly have a threat on their goal. Sure we did well first half but as soon as wilf went off we were lacking any threat up top.

Onwards to the Hammers now. If we don't beat them well we could be screwed.

mrgins
21-10-2017, 05:17 PM

I've never left a game early. Surprised you even admitted to it so you must've had a good reason!

Dedders
21-10-2017, 05:20 PM

You are missing the point

mrgins
21-10-2017, 05:21 PM

I thought he was tiring and went missing for chunks of the second half

redandblue
21-10-2017, 05:22 PM

Wilf's job is not save goals but to score them set them up so the argument is that if he was off the pitch we had less chance of scoring does that make sense ?

BLUE BOY
21-10-2017, 05:23 PM
Wilf looked whacked, why risk an injury, i understand its not popular but i don't think it cost us the game.
RLC should've been brought on earlier for Schlupp.
If Hennessey had conceded that goal he would've got ripped apart for it but in saying that as last week to our defending of corners is suspect.

Newcastle sat very deep, totally nullified our plans today and the lack of a natural striker was more evident than ever.

aj4england
21-10-2017, 05:25 PM

Allowed them to come forward in numbers , also had loftus been on earlier in the middle of park with his energy and ability we probably would have won

spike
21-10-2017, 05:30 PM
GF, do you support the team or Wilf? Grow up.

CaptainCharisma
21-10-2017, 05:34 PM
Think there are some harsh reviews on here that has we nicked a 1-0 would be scored very differently for he same performance. I also thinks Glaziers is talking out his arse. Currently on the coach home frustrated, but not disheartened. For 70 Mins we totally outclassed them. Our passing was on point, we controlled the ball and always looked to use it instead of just good it. Newcastle barely had a sniff and just fouled us something rotten. Cabs was lucky to stay on, however that mess was caused by the ref who had let several off the ball fouls go for Newcastle when we could have easily picked up injuries.

Did taking off Wilf kill us? No it didn't. Second half you didn't even know Wilf was playing. Not a slight on him, just one of those games where they started muscling him out. He was offering nothing when the rest were still being effective. We then tired and that have Newcastle he impotis having done nothing for most of the game.

Today was a bit of a reality check. There had been a lot of talk after last week that we didn't need benteke, but today proved we did. We never had anyone in th box to cross to and he would have been a physical menace to their defence.

Those complaining about the line up, how could you drop anyone from last week? No complaint from me in his choice. Also their goal was lucky, McArthur heads it into Merino's head, could have gone anywhere but typically went in. Roy has us looking so much better. We use the ball, we look confident and controlled. There is enough here to keep fighting and hopefully keep us in touch come January. Then it is up to Parish to pull his finger out and back the boss.

Oh and Newcastle fans are shite. I always thought they had a great support, but they were sat silent.

Frustrating, but still positives

Kai
21-10-2017, 05:35 PM
Defensively we were great for 85 mins

Speroni 6 nothing to do
ward 7
Sakho 7
Dann 7
Pva 6
MacArthur 6
Luka 7
Cabaye 7
Schlupp 4 did nothing. Afraid of the ball
Zaha 6 bright 1st half, quiet 2nd
Townsend 7

RLC 7 bright

Keith Powell
21-10-2017, 05:37 PM
Watched the game in a pub in Sutton.Should never have lost that game still dreadful at defending corners also thought Speroni s lack of height played a part in the goal ,should have been a goal up by then dreadful miss by van Aanhult from Loftus cheek cross didn't even make contact

Windsor_Eagle
21-10-2017, 05:37 PM
Think there are some harsh reviews on here that has we nicked a 1-0 would be scored very differently for he same performance. I also thinks Glaziers is talking out his arse. Currently on the coach home frustrated, but not disheartened. For 70 Mins we totally outclassed them. Our passing was on point, we controlled the ball and always looked to use it instead of just good it. Newcastle barely had a sniff and just fouled us something rotten. Cabs was lucky to stay on, however that mess was caused by the ref who had let several off the ball fouls go for Newcastle when we could have easily picked up injuries.

Did taking off Wilf kill us? No it didn't. Second half you didn't even know Wilf was playing. Not a slight on him, just one of those games where they started muscling him out. He was offering nothing when the rest were still being effective. We then tired and that have Newcastle he impotis having done nothing for most of the game.

Today was a bit of a reality check. There had been a lot of talk after last week that we didn't need benteke, but today proved we did. We never had anyone in th box to cross to and he would have been a physical menace to their defence.

Those complaining about the line up, how could you drop anyone from last week? No complaint from me in his choice. Also their goal was lucky, McArthur heads it into Merino's head, could have gone anywhere but typically went in. Roy has us looking so much better. We use the ball, we look confident and controlled. There is enough here to keep fighting and hopefully keep us in touch come January. Then it is up to Parish to pull his finger out and back the boss.

Oh and Newcastle fans are shite. I always thought they had a great support, but they were sat silent.

Spot on.

tsunamiman
21-10-2017, 05:42 PM
Moved the ball well and kept possession but it's easy to do when you play 4-6-0.

sunshine lucas
21-10-2017, 05:45 PM
Good performance in general with some surprisingly good ball retention. Thought Ward did v well v Atsu.
Really think that RLC should have come on for Schlupp earlier when we were really bossing it...Zaha had been v quiet centrally so why not move him to the wing with RLC more central? Schlupp was fairly tidy and helped PVA out and was target of most free kicks but was poor in last third. All for respecting points but they were there for taking. Really hope we see Wilf and RLC in first 11 soon... should help us get some more points.

spotkick
21-10-2017, 05:58 PM
Tough result and with others winning around us making it look grim right now.

However as stated we have shape and played well. Just missed a number 9.

A long way to go.

sherstonpalace
21-10-2017, 06:08 PM
At Newcastle airport. Incredibly frustrating because we were so obviously the better team, but equally obvious that we were never going to score.

Taking Wilf off was tantamount to conceding that we neither could nor would win the match. Little wonder it encouraged a poor Newcastle team to step up a gear.

Massively disappointing.

redemptionday
21-10-2017, 06:09 PM
Thought Sakho did well. Schlupp is awful

newish eagle
21-10-2017, 06:10 PM
At Newcastle airport. Incredibly frustrating because we were so obviously the better team, but equally obvious that we were never going to score.

Taking Wilf off was tantamount to conceding that we neither could nor would win the match. Little wonder it encouraged a poor Newcastle team to step up a gear.

Massively disappointing.
Agree with that. Except I’m on the train back, not at the airport.

jimmy the gent
21-10-2017, 06:16 PM
Hodgson cost us at least a point with his horrendous decision to sub Wilf. What on earth was he thinking? Newcastle knew we had nothing up front when he went off. It's one of the worst decisions of an already awful season.

The lack of strikers again cost us badly. No shots on target against an awful Newcastle team says it all. They were there for the taking but we have nothing up front. How can we expect to eek out points with such a lack of options in the final third? Townsend works so hard but he just cannot shoot - he should be getting 8-10 goals a season in the position he plays but he never looks like scoring.

That defeat is very hard to take but it's our own fault.

Speroni - 6 - looked solid. Can't be blamed for the goal IMO.

Ward - 6 - he's ok but doesn't get forward effectively and him and McArthur meant our right side was wasted. Did we need such a defensive right side when they didn't have anyone decent down the left?
PvA - 5 - I don't see how this guy starts games. He's so weak and cannot be relied upon. He's a poor defender and was supposed to be a threat going forward but that part of his game has been non-existent this season. he bottled that easy tap in because he didn't want to get hurt. If we're going down then please don't let us have to watch players like him every week.
Dann - 7 - in control and looked good.
Sakho - 6 - a few heart in mouths moments and his passing wasn't as concise as it normally is.

Luka - 6 - not as good as last week but did ok.
Cabaye - 5 - went missing most of the game. No creativity and poor set-pieces. Lucky to avoid a red card and then he didn't turn up for the second half.
McArthur - 5 - I can see why we played him against the chamoions last week but why play him against a poor Newcastle team? He's a great pro and works hard but adds very little as a creative force.
Schlupp - 4 - painful to watch. I can't recall one decent run from him. Goes missing all the time.
Townsend - 6 - great workrate but again lacking an end product. We need him to step up and start scoring but he seems incapable.
Wilf - 6 - again, good workrate and effort and had to live off scraps. Awful decision to sub him.

Subs
RLC - one great ball across for PvA which was easier to score than miss. Not on long enough sadly.
Sako - don't recall him touching the ball.

Hodgson - 5 - very negative today and his substitution of Wilf handed them the initiative. I hope he isn't always so dour in his approach as one point per game won't be enough from this position.

Not to say he was good, but he made one excellent run into the box when we countered, but Andros held onto the ball too long.

Jukesy
21-10-2017, 06:18 PM

You talk an absolute crock of shit

Celestial Empire
21-10-2017, 06:27 PM
Reminds me of last season.
We beat Bournemouth away, and suddenly it seemed that the Allardyce revolution had arrived, to everyone's relief. Then we lost the next couple (Palace 0 Sunderland 4 - lest we forget :wallbash:), before finally going on a run starting with 'Boro.
Patience.

glaziers fan
21-10-2017, 06:32 PM
I've never left a game early. Surprised you even admitted to it so you must've had a good reason!

Yes, Zaha substitution. Attacking threat gone. Do keep up!

glaziers fan
21-10-2017, 06:33 PM
You are missing the point

By having that threat on the pitch it also makes us less likely to concede.

CP Satellite
21-10-2017, 06:35 PM
Not going to give player ratings as it was so far up in the God’s after climbing ten flights of ******* stairs, it was hard to tell if I was watching any one of several games I have seen Palace play at Newcastle since the late 1970’s - when the jammy northern bastards always seem to snatch a goal from nothing - from Alan Shoulder in ‘79 to the **** who scored with his shoulder today.

We just lacked a finish after making several good moves, Wilf obviously tired, I felt, after not playing matches for nearly two months, it’s probably right to give him a breather - but we lost momentum after he went off - and the Geordies capitalised as we kept giving them time and space to attack us in the last 15 minutes or so.

Not sure if it was PVA who missed a great chance before they got their deflected goal, but those are the breaks when you are in our position, we had a bit of luck last week (which we deserved for the energy and desire the lads showed - today we were up against a team who got a bit of luck, which I felt they didn’t deserve - a load of free kicks from soft challenges - they wanted Cabaye to be sent off - looked a dodgy challenge, but they put in three or four just as bad or worse.

PVA looked like he bottled it a bit at the end from my view, I think he could have done better but lacked confidence and I felt that was partly why we wobbled at the end.

Not totally shocked we got beat, I think we have enough to turn things around, Newcastle do not look any better than us, I think they will be struggling themselves by January, but I guess they have the take-over money to replace the lucky monkeys they had today.

st albans
21-10-2017, 06:35 PM
He was furious. And rightly so. I'd rather take off Speroni and play without a keeper. Ridiculous management to take off our talisman. I'm glad it backfired. One step back to take 3 steps forward. We controlled the game with Wilf on the pitch.

He didn't touch the ball in the second half, was a complete passenger. Right to sub him off in my opinion. The fact that his replacement set up a great chance and could have scored himself shows he was justified

glaziers fan
21-10-2017, 06:36 PM
GF, do you support the team or Wilf? Grow up.

Both. Which is why RH deserves the flack for divorcing the 2 unnecessarily. Did he go senile? He's been so good for us so far; uncharacteristic sub. I like Roy.

st albans
21-10-2017, 06:36 PM
Yes, Zaha substitution. Attacking threat gone. Do keep up!

You left the game when be took off wilf?!? For that reason?!?

Palace Dan
21-10-2017, 06:52 PM
I voted for Joel Ward. Mamadou Sakho for me was our best player but Ward played well and I felt needs recognition for good defensive play and positioning. Off for a beer in Newcastle now!

mcmean
21-10-2017, 06:56 PM
I thought Schlupp had a decent game.

All in all, it was a pretty boring affair. We bossed the first half and the lions share of the chances though so on balance probably should have won

meee
21-10-2017, 07:13 PM
Awful game.Thought Luka,Dann and Sakho played well.We resorted to hoof ball for most of the game which is never going to work with these players.We also defended well and were never going to concede from open play.Apart from Luka and Cabaye,we're very soft.We allowed a few of their players to bully us physically and it was only when Cabaye went absolutely steaming into Yedlin that they took a backward step.Overall the game deserved to be 0-0 and their goal,the only chance they really created,was a bit lucky.Schlupp and Van Aanholt need to be replaced and Schlupp should have come off rather than Zaha.

in-exile
21-10-2017, 07:17 PM
Another ****up it's seems....were wank.

Hedgehog
21-10-2017, 07:22 PM
Can I just say that Sakho is a nut case!

Oh and how annoying did the Newcastle fans come off on TV, both visually and audibly.

glaziers fan
21-10-2017, 07:27 PM
You left the game when be took off wilf?!? For that reason?!?

Attacking threat gone. Did you see the previous 6 games without him?

glenn.f
21-10-2017, 07:36 PM
I went for Sakho for my mom. The game was going to plan for the first seventy five minutes but we ultimately paid for our lack of quality or imagination at set-pieces and then our lack of options from the bench. There were positive signs with our organisation along with our work rate and closing down of the opposition definitely in evidence but when you sit in and try to frustrate the opposition like we did, you've got to be a bit more clinical in and around the box and make more use of our set pieces than we are currently showing. We aren't much cop at defending them either which is putting added pressure on us as well.

glenn.f
21-10-2017, 07:44 PM
Can also see the reasoning from both sides regarding the Wilf substitution. Sensible to be giving him a slight breather after the time he's had out, but in an ideal world it would have been after we'd have nicked a goal. Once off we are left without that spark that may have got us a goal. We could also have been sat here facing another loss with Wilf limping away in the final few minutes after over exerting himself. Who knows what might have happened if he'd have stayed on.

HOVE EAGLE
21-10-2017, 07:52 PM
Sorry but zaha wasn't doing anything in the second half and I thought he was starting to look tired
Substitution was right
I am in Newcastle tonight Geordies very happy but realise they got away with it

arabian eagle
21-10-2017, 08:14 PM

Cheers good post gives cause to be optimistic!

sydnsteve
21-10-2017, 08:14 PM
Our fate lies in the WHam, Everton and Stoke games. We have to get 7 points from them or we have had it. A very tough ask. Remember Newcastle beat Liverpool and drew well with Soton. They are not mugs. We somehow have to get our self belief back

CPFC.1990
21-10-2017, 08:15 PM
We somehow have to get our self belief back

If a win against Chelsea won't raise the belief then nothing will.

Ian Hart
21-10-2017, 08:29 PM
It seems to me there is a bit of "being wise after the event" in those saying the substitution cost us the game.

In all honesty, how many would have complained about the substitution if PVA had scored from the substitute's cross - as he should have done - and we went on to win 1-0. In that event, I suspect a lot of people would have been praising the substitution, and those who didn't want Wilf taken off would have just stayed silent

sunshine lucas
21-10-2017, 08:52 PM
It seems to me there is a bit of "being wise after the event" in those saying the substitution cost us the game.

In all honesty, how many would have complained about the substitution if PVA had scored from the substitute's cross - as he should have done - and we went on to win 1-0. In that event, I suspect a lot of people would have been praising the substitution, and those who didn't want Wilf taken off would have just stayed silent

Perhaps... but PVA didnít score and had Wilf and RLC been on the pitch together the chance may have fallen to someone more likely to take it... and I believe there would have been other chances created...

Anyway itís gone now... hope for better outcomes in future games.

macstar
21-10-2017, 08:56 PM
Newcastle sat very deep, totally nullified our plans today and the lack of a natural striker was more evident than ever.

its plain to see and has been for a number of seasons now... we do not have enough to break down teams who sit back. We havent got a clue......and when we do get the rare set pieces we fail to make them count.

Mictor Voses
21-10-2017, 09:03 PM
If we'd had a forward and a keeper upgrade we'd have won. Those decisions look like costing us dear.
Sakho for me. Defence worries me at every corner mind.

Yep. It doesn't matter what Roy does or who you put in charge all the while
You don't have a goalkeeper up to it at this level or any form of striker at all then we have no chance. I just hope we can stay in touch until January and then hope that we still have some money to spend.

TomEagle
21-10-2017, 09:18 PM
PvA - 2 awful, can't pass to his team mates, breaks down moves and can't put the ball in an empty net incase he slides in to the post.

Everyone else 5/6

st albans
21-10-2017, 09:19 PM
Attacking threat gone. Did you see the previous 6 games without him?

Attacking threat gone? Didn't we create the best chance of the game after he'd gone off?

st albans
21-10-2017, 09:20 PM
Our fate lies in the WHam, Everton and Stoke games. We have to get 7 points from them or we have had it. A very tough ask. Remember Newcastle beat Liverpool and drew well with Soton. They are not mugs. We somehow have to get our self belief back

Assuming none of them sack their managers between now and then I feel we can get points from those games

aj4england
21-10-2017, 09:26 PM
Pva and Schlupp are playing the wrong way round. One cant attack and one cant defend

Glazier69
21-10-2017, 09:33 PM
The answer is Souare when fit. Benteke back and weíll be ok.

st albans
21-10-2017, 09:42 PM
Pva and Schlupp are playing the wrong way round. One cant attack and one cant defend

Neither should be in our first team when everyone fit. I can't believe how much we spent on those two

stinky
21-10-2017, 09:51 PM
Attacking threat gone? Didn't we create the best chance of the game after he'd gone off?

He wouldn't know. He'd stormed off in a huff by that point.

Reg_Maudling
21-10-2017, 09:56 PM
watching the second half again and zaha did very little in the second half - could see why he was substituted

Ardent
21-10-2017, 09:58 PM

Half right - neither can attack, neither can defend.

If this is the kind of mercenary crap we would of ended up with then thank the Lord Sam has gone.

Martin H
21-10-2017, 10:11 PM
Would appreciate any links to the full 90 mins please. Thx.

aj4england
21-10-2017, 10:14 PM
[QUOTE=sunshine lucas;13905453]Perhaps... but PVA didn’t score and had Wilf and RLC been on the pitch together the chance may have fallen to someone more likely to take it... and I believe there would have been other chances created...

Anyway it’s gone now... hope for better outcomes in future games.[/QUOTE

There were 4 failures at least

Not getting subs on earlier
Subbing Wilf
Not bringing on a central defender for the last five ( as Sam would have done)
No using all 3 subs
The Team did their job (on the whole) but Roy didn't . Improvement isn't enough , a confidence building result was tossed away.

Credit to Roy for shape , passing but that's it today

BLUE BOY
21-10-2017, 10:23 PM
its plain to see and has been for a number of seasons now... we do not have enough to break down teams who sit back. We havent got a clue......and when we do get the rare set pieces we fail to make them count.

Absolutely, we lack that true play maker in the middle of the park and set piece delivery is poor at best.

Reg_Maudling
21-10-2017, 10:28 PM

http://www.footballorgin.com/epl-newcastle-united-vs-crystal-palace-full-match-replay/2/

got the second half here - not great quality but watchable

first half seems to have disappeared

CP-RJW
21-10-2017, 10:33 PM
Half right - neither can attack, neither can defend.

If this is the kind of mercenary crap we would of ended up with then thank the Lord Sam has gone.
How is Schlupp a mercenary?

exiledeagle
21-10-2017, 10:34 PM

Wouldn't bother it was a very poor game to watch

Ardent
21-10-2017, 10:54 PM
How is Schlupp a mercenary?

Considering the money he is on (no I don't know what it is) he seems unable to concentrate, focus, or even care about his duties for even the 90 mins. a week he is on the pitch,the same goes for Pva.

Hudds Eagle
21-10-2017, 10:54 PM
Not sure what game everyone was watching, Schlupp was our best attacking player by some distance. Played some great passes through to the strikers.

CP-RJW
21-10-2017, 11:09 PM
Considering the money he is on (no I don't know what it is) he seems unable to concentrate, focus, or even care about his duties for even the 90 mins. a week he is on the pitch,the same goes for Pva.
Well I don’t really see it to be honest, you’re the first I’ve seen on here to mention Schlupp and mercenary in the same sentence. I think he’s a limited player who puts in a shift and regarding his duties, he isn’t defensively sound enough to be a left back or good enough attacking wise to be a left mid/winger: he’d work well as a wing back though. Being bought by Sam for an inflated fee isn’t Jeff’s fault. Harsh to criticize him for not focusing when that was a problem in our whole team today, are the likes of Ward mercenaries too? I agree on PVA though, lazy twat, Sunderland fans said the same and hated him.

Martin H
21-10-2017, 11:10 PM
Just seen the goal in MOTD. Oh dear.

JDawg
22-10-2017, 12:21 AM
People need to stop getting prissy, recognise that we are in the merde and it may take a while, We are still in a better position than we were.

Today we were unlucky. So what? 50,000 locals, a European Cup winning manager We played OK and held them until late on. Bring on West Ham next weekend. We'll be fine.

bubbs11
22-10-2017, 02:54 AM
Need to get LB sorted out. Speroni had sweet FA to do all match and was all over the place for the goal, two kicks straight into touch and lucky not to have conceded when he pushed the ball out when easier to hold. Ward, Dann and the man who saved another goal Sakho all did well. Midfield 3 good but Sculpt should not have played, RLC should have started. Wilf and Andros did well but could not score. Right result should have been a draw. Needed quicker substitution from Roy to change match around.

How predictable :S:

What I saw with my own eyes yesterday was a keeper that exuded more confidence in his team mates with his verbal organisation, decision making and proactive reactions to situations. Jules is not the answer but sorry, you must have a hidden agenda or be blind to think we are a better team with Wayne in goal.

Thought we played well yesterday over all without penetrating enough. My one over riding thought was that maybe Roy shouldn't have gone with the same Andros and Wilf up top formation. That worked against a 3 at the back non aggressive Chelsea defence for a reason, and was never going to have the same affect against an attritional 4 at the back Newcastle side. Hindsight's a wonderful thing though, and had Loftus Cheek buried his golden chance - or if van Anholt connected, then we'd be hailing that Roy's hit upon a formation that's working.

PeterH
22-10-2017, 02:59 AM
How predictable :S:

What I saw with my own eyes yesterday was a keeper that exuded more confidence in his team mates with his verbal organisation,

And English is his second language (prob The Hen TBF, too ).

What were you chatting with SP about? Marijuana in Amsterdam?

bubbs11
22-10-2017, 03:04 AM
People need to stop getting prissy, recognise that we are in the merde and it may take a while, We are still in a better position than we were.

Today we were unlucky. So what? 50,000 locals, a European Cup winning manager We played OK and held them until late on. Bring on West Ham next weekend. We'll be fine.

I'm also very confident we're going to be fine. It's going to take a little longer to dig ourselves out of this hole than might feel comfortable to some, and the lads and supporters need to be patient and not panic at the sight of the league table for a couple of months. We will slowly but surely pull ourselves out of the mire.

In fact, I would ban anyone connected with Palace looking at a league table until well after New Year. It's like watching all the doom and gloom on the news - what's the point? Just focus on getting as much from the next game. This side and manager have enough about them to grind out a top 17 finish.

bubbs11
22-10-2017, 03:06 AM
And English is his second language (prob The Hen TBF, too ).

What were you chatting with SP about? Marijuana in Amsterdam?

:D. Yeah, I was just trying to see if he had any left over. Needed it after that goal.

PeterH
22-10-2017, 03:10 AM

This is a very fine post. A long way to go yet.

Despite todays kick in the teeth, I would bet on us staying up. There is another international break soon to get Benteke closer. Just need to have a word in his ear about avoiding a yellow card or two when he gets back.

There are plenty of average teams out there, and outside of Man City being head and shoulders, the Premier is very competitive with no one to fear. In that context, we have a good set of first team players when all available. SP has left us short in depth, but we have the right manager for just this moment, and at least one player on the very top of his game (perhaps more if you add Townsend, Sakho and a seemingly rejuvenated Ward).

Can we pull off the greatest ever Great Escape? Would you bet against us doing it, Is SP the luckiest muther in the history of football? Turn up against West Ham and it might well get very interesting on that upward run of the rollercoater.

Feckin hell we fly by the seat of our pants...

PeterH
22-10-2017, 03:23 AM
:D. Yeah, I was just trying to see if he had any left over. Needed it after that goal.

Jesus. I was fecking gutted at the end of my class in Santiago. I immediately thought of those that had spent their hard earned travelling and staying over. People flew there. How have we been the better team and then got screwed over by a poor team that are now something like 6th. How on gods earth is that how it stands, Huddersfield winning, Brighton slapping West Ham, and we get that despite all our efforts.

No luck at all this season, despite the self.imploding summer. I dont count Chelsea becuase we fecked then over by pure grit. But that annoys me constantly as well. In our psyche, why can we turn up occasionally against Chelsea, Liverpool, or Arsenal last season at least, and then be lethargic and strangers, not knowing the basics against the likes of West Ham, West Brom or Burnley. You cant balme the manager or the training or fans or the management. That is entirely down to the players.

We would be a big, top club if someone could work that one out.

I was shocked against Huddersfield, disillusioned against Swansea, bemused against Burnley, accepting against the Manchesters, ecstatic against Chelsea, and gutted against Newcastle. Where will West Ham leave me...

And I feel I mirror every Palace fan in that last paragraph - we have absolutely no idea what will happen next Saturday.

glaziers fan
22-10-2017, 04:47 AM
Still think we will be ok. We controlled the game. Just need to give Zaha more of the ball. And get Benteke back.

Golf Boy
22-10-2017, 05:39 AM
The Wilf Andros front two was much less effective against their tactics of more at the back. We couldn’t stretch them. Lascalles looked to have the better of wilf for long periods as well.
I wouldn’t have taken Wilf off but if i had to take a forward off, Wilf was much less threatening than Andros yesterday.

I would have put Rlc on to mix it up in their defense plus reidewald to put a bit mire energy in the midfield.

scro
22-10-2017, 06:05 AM
This season just needs to hurry up and end, being dead from early October is humiliating. We badly need a striker but this seasons evidence suggests benteke would not have made any difference.
Seems woy is now on a mission to not single out wilf as easily our most important player as well.

charltonhater
22-10-2017, 07:14 AM

Agree with everything here.

ExiledStirling
22-10-2017, 07:17 AM
What were you chatting with SP about?
Some randoms came up to BUBBS and asked to have a photo taken with him (I assume you know the bloke in the photo as you refer to him as SP? The other guy I think was called Steve). BUBBS is still a man of the people so was happy to oblige.

TheCharmer1
22-10-2017, 07:30 AM
Not sure what game everyone was watching, Schlupp was our best attacking player by some distance. Played some great passes through to the strikers.

Not sure what game you were watching. Thatís just being argumentative for the sake of it.

Lombardo 888
22-10-2017, 07:39 AM
Jesus. I was fecking gutted at the end of my class in Santiago. I immediately thought of those that had spent their hard earned travelling and staying over. People flew there. How have we been the better team and then got screwed over by a poor team that are now something like 6th. How on gods earth is that how it stands, Huddersfield winning, Brighton slapping West Ham, and we get that despite all our efforts.

No luck at all this season, despite the self.imploding summer. I dont count Chelsea becuase we fecked then over by pure grit. But that annoys me constantly as well. In our psyche, why can we turn up occasionally against Chelsea, Liverpool, or Arsenal last season at least, and then be lethargic and strangers, not knowing the basics against the likes of West Ham, West Brom or Burnley. You cant balme the manager or the training or fans or the management. That is entirely down to the players.

I was shocked against Huddersfield, disillusioned against Swansea, bemused against Burnley, accepting against the Manchesters, ecstatic against Chelsea, and gutted against Newcastle. Where will West Ham leave me...

And I feel I mirror every Palace fan in that last paragraph - we have absolutely no idea what will happen next Saturday.

Excellent post from an excellent poster.

Nostrils
22-10-2017, 08:10 AM
Just watched the goal properly - damn, that was unlucky. I thought at the time he had a clean head on it.

A few positives: Loftus-Cheek looked good and he'll surely start next week, we were the better team for large parts of the game, West Ham will be on a worse downer than us I reckon and Roy has us playing with organisation and belief.

andyocpfc
22-10-2017, 08:13 AM
I flew and and got back to rainy Sussex at 10.30pm so not too bad. I was gutted and furious we had lost a game we should never have done. First half we were so comfortable it was unbelievable. We controlled the game without making proper clear cut chances. The annoying thing is we were literally 1 inch from winning the game with PVA. The game would have been dead if that had gone in yet we went from 3 points to zero in a space of minutes which is hard to take.

As a positive of the day we sat next to Chris Kamara on the flight home and heís a nice bloke with time for everyone.

eagleincroydon
22-10-2017, 08:19 AM
cabaye for late tackle, looked like after newcastle player roughed up zaha cabaye
revenged the same player and they eased off us

orp pisshead1
22-10-2017, 08:22 AM
Good performance in general with some surprisingly good ball retention. Thought Ward did v well v Atsu.
Really think that RLC should have come on for Schlupp earlier when we were really bossing it...Zaha had been v quiet centrally so why not move him to the wing with RLC more central? Schlupp was fairly tidy and helped PVA out and was target of most free kicks but was poor in last third. All for respecting points but they were there for taking. Really hope we see Wilf and RLC in first 11 soon... should help us get some more points.

Think Wilf and RLC can cause havoc vs the hammers :p

bodger
22-10-2017, 08:35 AM
WH would have been slaughtered for the goal but you have to have luck to save that at such close range. RH kept the same team and they did not let him down we were the better team i would have taken Cabaye of for RLC as he was on a yellow not sure we had anything else on the bench that would have changed the game. We must give Ladapo a start any striker is better then no striker the cup game gives RH a chance to pick him and use at least two other young players.

glaziers fan
22-10-2017, 08:35 AM
The Wilf Andros front two was much less effective against their tactics of more at the back. We couldn’t stretch them. Lascalles looked to have the better of wilf for long periods as well.
I wouldn’t have taken Wilf off but if i had to take a forward off, Wilf was much less threatening than Andros yesterday.

I would have put Rlc on to mix it up in their defense plus reidewald to put a bit mire energy in the midfield.

I agree that Wilf didn't have a brilliant game although I think that's more down to lack of service and support. I'd have started RLC and I'd definitely brought him on after 60 mins. Take off Schlupp and let the 3 attackers roam. Take McArthur off. Take Cabaye off because he was on a yellow.

OR just keep it as it is and take the point. Instead it was a sub that gives the opposition confidence. It was crazy to not bring on a sub earlier, but I wish he hadn't bothered to make one at all.

Palace Dan
22-10-2017, 08:53 AM
As a positive of the day we sat next to Chris Kamara on the flight home and heís a nice bloke with time for everyone.

Absolutely. He was my landlord in the 1980s in Swindon. He is a really nice guy. Very pleasant. I always thought that he must be a hoot to work with in Sky Soccer Saturday

exiledeagle
22-10-2017, 09:22 AM
Poor game to watch . Palace probably looked a bit more in control but were toothless up front . Just felt that for last 15 mins we were content with draw whereas Newcastle raised their game . The problem we have is that we have no forward or a decent keeper and that problem is not going away for quite a while . Even when Benteke comes back he needs to up his game .

Speroni 5 Made hard work of Shelvey shot and was at fault for goal
Ward 6 Looks more comfortable now its a back 4
Dann 6 Decent but not a lot to do
Sakho 6 As above
Van Aanholt 5 Wasn't that bad I thought and at least he gets in position to help attack
Cabaye 5 Should have been sent off - anonymous after that
McArthur 5 Tried but no influence on game
Milivojevic 6 Steady game
Schlupp 4 Big disappointment to me - doesn't seem comfortable anywhere at moment
Townsend / Zaha 6 Our only threat but neither are forwards and will struggle to score - both tended to drift out to their natural positions .

In summary No forward no adequate keeper - we are going to struggle .

macstar
22-10-2017, 09:51 AM
Poor game to watch . Palace probably looked a bit more in control but were toothless up front . Just felt that for last 15 mins we were content with draw whereas Newcastle raised their game . The problem we have is that we have no forward or a decent keeper and that problem is not going away for quite a while . Even when Benteke comes back he needs to up his game .

Speroni 5 Made hard work of Shelvey shot and was at fault for goal
Ward 6 Looks more comfortable now its a back 4
Dann 6 Decent but not a lot to do
Sakho 6 As above
Van Aanholt 5 Wasn't that bad I thought and at least he gets in position to help attack
Cabaye 5 Should have been sent off - anonymous after that
McArthur 5 Tried but no influence on game
Milivojevic 6 Steady game
Schlupp 4 Big disappointment to me - doesn't seem comfortable anywhere at moment
Townsend / Zaha 6 Our only threat but neither are forwards and will struggle to score - both tended to drift out to their natural positions .

In summary No forward no adequate keeper - we are going to struggle .

Jojo Shelveys shot wobbled in the wind. Speroni certainly doesnt deserve to be marked down based on that.

TheMexicanHorse
22-10-2017, 09:53 AM
I flew and and got back to rainy Sussex at 10.30pm so not too bad. I was gutted and furious we had lost a game we should never have done. First half we were so comfortable it was unbelievable. We controlled the game without making proper clear cut chances. The annoying thing is we were literally 1 inch from winning the game with PVA. The game would have been dead if that had gone in yet we went from 3 points to zero in a space of minutes which is hard to take.

Sol Campbell was also on our flight , saw him chatting to a couple of CP fans at Heathrow when we landed, seemed a nice guy.

As for the game, no attacking threat up top and soon as Zaha went off you knew that the Newcastle winner was coming.

bigend1
22-10-2017, 09:59 AM

Good post and that's how I saw it.

We played well, the defence looks good. The goal was unlucky for us, bit of a freak one but otherwise largely solid.

The midfield dominated, cabaye was understandably quiet after he luckily escaped red, I'm not sure why he did that, perhaps the abuse? But it was silly. Still he and Luka controlled it with schlupp and Jimmy doing lots of running defensively and in attack.

Zaha and Townsend looked a threat but it all broke down around their area. Maybe 15 times in that game we were in an ideal position to cross for benteke but we had no one. We played good stuff until the final ball and it wasn't the ball it was the lack of target.

Play like we have the last two games with a striker and we'll win games.

Let's hope Big Ben is back soon though because we can't get too much further behind

CamberleyEagle
22-10-2017, 10:11 AM
So basically you would have gone with every possible permutation?

Or maybe none at all?

I agree that Wilf didn't have a brilliant game although I think that's more down to lack of service and support. I'd have started RLC and I'd definitely brought him on after 60 mins. Take off Schlupp and let the 3 attackers roam. Take McArthur off. Take Cabaye off because he was on a yellow.

OR just keep it as it is and take the point. Instead it was a sub that gives the opposition confidence. It was crazy to not bring on a sub earlier, but I wish he hadn't bothered to make one at all.

FourtyTwo
22-10-2017, 10:33 AM

Thatís pretty much spot on IMO. Zaha wasnít having much influence in the second half, however I wouldnít have taken him off as he has the ability to produce something. Schlupp just looked out of his depth and Iíd have been more tempted to take him off and drop Zaha wide.

Shelvey is a snidey little bastard - no idea how the prick didnít get booked. Thinks heís so much better than he is as well. Wanker!

Danny_Cheviot
22-10-2017, 10:43 AM

Agree.

Newcastle playing the bottom side at home were never going to settle for a draw so were always going to push on at the end.

A liitle worried that after 5 years in the Premier League we still seem to struggle to last 95 mins.

macstar
22-10-2017, 10:55 AM
Agree.

Newcastle playing the bottom side at home were never going to settle for a draw so were always going to push on at the end.

A liitle worried that after 5 years in the Premier League we still seem to struggle to last 95 mins.

One of the problems is we continue to lose against teams who are directly in a relegation fight with us (regardless of their current position, Newcastle will be bottom 6 i reckon).....a DRAW against teams like this is such a big result. We just are not managing it. We seem unable to hold onto draws and seem incapable of scoring after an opponent has scored.

One of the big reasons being Set pieces, defending against them and getting the most out of our own. We must do better.

Langers
22-10-2017, 10:57 AM

Massively disappointing.

Respect to those of you who made the trip - came across loud and clear but it was another Burnley away from what I saw - better team lost but no shots on target is very worrying

glaziers fan
22-10-2017, 12:55 PM
So basically you would have gone with every possible permutation?

Or maybe none at all?

Basically anything other than what did happen (only thing worse would have been taking off Zaha even earlier)

The Vicar
22-10-2017, 01:28 PM
When fit, RLC and TFM must play. A lesson learned from Newcastle.

andyocpfc
22-10-2017, 01:28 PM
Absolutely. He was my landlord in the 1980s in Swindon. He is a really nice guy. Very pleasant. I always thought that he must be a hoot to work with in Sky Soccer Saturday

He said to me ďIíve got the best job in the worldĒ.

bigGcpfc
22-10-2017, 01:30 PM
I'll tell you how bad Schlupp is , I'd rather have Jordan Mutch in the team than him and I don't think Mutch is even National League south standard !!

andyocpfc
22-10-2017, 01:32 PM
Sol Campbell was also on our flight , saw him chatting to a couple of CP fans at Heathrow when we landed, seemed a nice guy.

As for the game, no attacking threat up top and soon as Zaha went off you knew that the Newcastle winner was coming.

You must have been on my flight then as SC was on my flight too on way home. He was in the BA lounge at Newcastle and was happy to talk to my Dad and another fella although I didnít personally talk to him.

Agree re the game and knew it was coming when Zaha went off. We handed them the impetus and in turn the 3 points albeit it was rather lucky how it came about with regards to the header.

st albans
22-10-2017, 02:05 PM
Didn't sol Campbell used to play as a striker.....

Mad Raschic Ken
22-10-2017, 02:57 PM
Palace were well-organised and looked very comfortable, but despite dominating the game we were unable to create any real chances in 90 minutes. The idea that Wilf being taken off is laughable in my view. He got into plenty of good positions, but like everyone else, was unable to find the right final ball. I thought our passing was poor and that is what ultimately cost us the game. Wilf had tired and was not really in the game by the time he went off.

I thought we needed fresh legs in the middle and should have brought Riedewald on with about 20 minutes left. They just started to get a grip of the game about then and we didn't react.

We were unlucky to lose, especially to a fluke goal, but unless we improve our decision making in the final third we're going to lose games. It's no coincidence that we've been struggling to score.

jimmy the gent
22-10-2017, 06:21 PM
PVA two borderline open goals missed in two games. He seemed to bottle it to me.

jimmy the gent
22-10-2017, 06:34 PM

No, though i think he made his first performances for spurs first time as a DM.

Martin H
22-10-2017, 06:39 PM
Thanks for the link. Managed to watch it having got home from the wedding :)

Having watched it I actually feel worse about the loss because we really didn't deserve to lose that match. We probably didn't deserve to win it either and a draw was a fair result. We were the better team but it does feel like points thrown away. We looked pretty toothless in attack and at times fairly clueless about what to do as we approached the penalty area but everything else was looking tightly under control and without Macca's powerful headed clearance and Speroni' s oops moment they wouldn't have scored in a month of Sundays. Gutted. So as the Managers cliche goes, there were lots of positives.

PeterH
22-10-2017, 06:41 PM

Great to hear that. :p

DARZET EAGLE
22-10-2017, 06:44 PM

And were you livid after Liverpool and shocked after Southampton?

:sob:

DARZET EAGLE
22-10-2017, 06:44 PM

And were you livid after Liverpool and shocked after Southampton?

:sob:

meee
22-10-2017, 06:46 PM
cabaye for late tackle, looked like after newcastle player roughed up zaha cabaye
revenged the same player and they eased off us

Cabaye's foul was important.They were kicking lumps out of us before that and we were just taking it.Cabaye was having none of it and went flying into Yedlin straight after the Zaha incident.They barely laid a glove on us after that.

DARZET EAGLE
22-10-2017, 06:49 PM

No centre half.

4 cryingOutloud
22-10-2017, 08:45 PM

Yes, but you have to realise that if you're not flavour of the month on the BBS, you'll never get the marks you deserve, unlike those who's shit don't stink nomatter how they play. :p

FourtyTwo
22-10-2017, 08:48 PM
Just watched MOTD highlights - no way that their goal should have stood, as Shelvey clearly takes out Cabaye as the corner is coming in.

Makes not getting the point even harder to take :(

Mr Palace
22-10-2017, 08:59 PM
Thanks for the link. Managed to watch it having got home from the wedding :)

Having watched it I actually feel worse about the loss because we really didn't deserve to lose that match. We probably didn't deserve to win it either and a draw was a fair result. We were the better team but it does feel like points thrown away. We looked pretty toothless in attack and at times fairly clueless about what to do as we approached the penalty area but everything else was looking tightly under control and without Macca's powerful headed clearance and Speroni' s oops moment they wouldn't have scored in a month of Sundays. Gutted. So as the Managers cliche goes, there were lots of positives.

I agree with all of that apart from the bit about speroni. I genuinely don't know how the goal can be considered a mistake by him. The fact that it looked to all intents and purposes that McArthur had headed it away would not have added to the surprise factor when it whizzed past speroni at pace. Merrino couldn't have placed it better if he had of tried. It was a freak goal and another slice of bad luck for us.

Martin H
22-10-2017, 09:10 PM
From that download I would have said :

Speroni - 5 - might seem harsh but he had very little to do other than clear the ball upfield and deal with a handful of shots. He misjudged Shelvey's thunderbolt and almost dived out of the way, just saving it with a hand reaching back to where he had been and he really should have tipped their goal over the bar. With so little to do, there were no redeeming factors. It unfortunately cost us the game.

Ward - 6 - Playing far better than earlier in the season but is too often getting done by wingers for pace and/or tricks. Has been covering for the CBs well.

Dann - 6.5 - has slowly playing back towards his better form in recent games. Looking composed. Still concerned re lack of pace and he no longer dominates the opponents box at FKs but defending well.

Sakho - 6. 5 - NOt back to his best yet but still effective. Takes too many risks for the sake of my nerves but gets away with most.

PVA - 5.5 - frustrating player. Has something but it isn't top level defending and we don't seem to facilitate his attacking.

Macca - 6 - solid, hard working. Just think for this match we should have had him on the left side instead of Schlupp or PVA and started with Ruben. Either that or sitting on Shelvey.

Cabaye - 6.5 - another battling performance and far too often the only one trying to get into the box despite coming from deep. Risky tackle but yellow was probably 'just' about right.

Luka - 6.5 - ditto Cabaye but sits deep covering while Yo is making those runs.

Schlupp - 5.5 - another frustration. At times he really looked the part then at others looks almost as if he is lost and playing his first game of football. I wonder if he needs to pick a position and stick to it (career wise).

Townsend - 6.5 - another hard working performance. Not sure about decision making and shooting but we need him at this level as a minimum.

Zaha - 6.5 - some flashes of genius but seemed too disturbed by the row with Ritchie which was a shame. Second half he showed less and I kind of understand why he was taken off.

As I said above, we did more than deserve a point but gave it away at the end. It's always damned if you do or don't but it just feels like we dropped deep to defend the last phase and it simply invited them on to their best spell and that stupid corner. If we were going to defend it out then surely there were other subs to bolster our defensive shape and set pieces. I would personally have favoured pushing them back by bringing on RLC but adding some fresh legs elsewhere in the middle too.

I don't think we can see out the remaining weeks trying to play without someone at least trying/pretending to be a striker. If the current ploy is to play with just the two wingers then they have to be far more willing to pull the trigger and they have to hit the target. The 'other one' has to bust a gut to get into the area they can't stand and watch from the far post.

Martin H
22-10-2017, 09:16 PM
I agree with all of that apart from the bit about speroni. I genuinely don't know how the goal can be considered a mistake by him. The fact that it looked to all intents and purposes that McArthur had headed it away would not have added to the surprise factor when it whizzed past speroni at pace. Merrino couldn't have placed it better if he had of tried. It was a freak goal and another slice of bad luck for us.

From the keepers perspective it surely looked in RT for Speroni as if the 2 players went up for it and Merino won the header. I can't imagine Speroni got fooled by Macca heading it onto Merino. No one in the ground realised that until the replay did they? I think he just got beaten because he didn't get up high enough quick enough despite it being directly over him. His height doesn't help him but that's not an excuse it's just something he has to compensate with his reactions/mobility.

adrenalin john
22-10-2017, 09:43 PM
Not seen any TV highlights but at the game, my immediate thought was the taller Hennessey would have saved it (as would a quicker-reacting, spring heeled Speoni of 6 years back)

Wilf was tired and ineffective in the 2nd half can understand why he got the hook and had PVA scored from RLC's ball we would all be praising both the performance and RH's management

GrayP41ace
22-10-2017, 10:31 PM
From the keepers perspective it surely looked in RT for Speroni as if the 2 players went up for it and Merino won the header. I can't imagine Speroni got fooled by Macca heading it onto Merino. No one in the ground realised that until the replay did they? I think he just got beaten because he didn't get up high enough quick enough despite it being directly over him. His height doesn't help him but that's not an excuse it's just something he has to compensate with his reactions/mobility.

All this was from 6 yards out.

Can't believe he's getting as much flack about not saving a free header from 6 yards that went over his head, not through him, but over him. Watch the Deeney header in the fa cup semi, about a yard closer and the taller, younger Hennessey doesn't reach it, and don't remember him getting much grief for it either?

A free header saved, from 6 yards out, is a good save, not an expected save.

adrenalin john
22-10-2017, 10:54 PM
Now seen it on TV, very lucky goal. Still think Speroni should have tipped it over

Martin H
22-10-2017, 10:57 PM

Can't believe he's getting as much flack about not saving a free header from 6 yards that went over his head, not through him, but over him. Watch the Deeney header in the fa cup semi, about a yard closer and the taller, younger Hennessey doesn't reach it, and don't remember him getting much grief for it either?

I don't agree.

On my part at least, it's not about flak for the specific keeper, it's about the specific chance and should any keeper be expected to save it or not. I think any keeper would on Monday morning would put his hands up and say 'my bad'. I think Jules will do that tomorrow when they review it. It was straight over his head and he was a yard off his line max. It wasn't a bullet header in the corner. I don't think it was a super easy save but I think it would be expected.

GrayP41ace
22-10-2017, 11:04 PM
I don't agree.

On my part at least, it's not about flak for the specific keeper, it's about the specific chance and should any keeper be expected to save it or not. I think any keeper would on Monday morning would put his hands up and say 'my bad'. I think Jules will do that tomorrow when they review it. It was straight over his head and he was a yard off his line max. It wasn't a bullet header in the corner. I don't think it was a super easy save but I think it would be expected.

Not saying it's specific to whom is in goal, I'm saying an almost carbon copy wasn't highlighted as much.

If we expect our keepers to save free headers from 5/6 yards out every single time we have officially gone mad. He COULD have saved it, as many keepers do. He COULD concede it, as many keepers do. He may feel he could have done better on Monday morning, but by definition that doesn't mean he SHOULD be doing better, and certainly not be expected to save it.

Essexeagle
23-10-2017, 04:36 AM
Not saying it's specific to whom is in goal, I'm saying an almost carbon copy wasn't highlighted as much.

If we expect our keepers to save free headers from 5/6 yards out every single time we have officially gone mad. He COULD have saved it, as many keepers do. He COULD concede it, as many keepers do. He may feel he could have done better on Monday morning, but by definition that doesn't mean he SHOULD be doing better, and certainly not be expected to save it.

Don't think they are close to be being carbon copy goals. I took the time to watch the two goals again repeatedly just now.

Deeney's header was considerably more difficult to save, it came at pace, was a yard closer and Hennessey doesn't see it until it's about 2 yards from him.

The goal yesterday was at least a yard further out, loops and is slower. Not saying it was an easy save but I am saying Hennessey more than likely saves that. Speroni's height was definitely a disadvantage yesterday and his reflexes seemed a little slower (as is natural).

I write this as someone who thinks Speroni should be our number one until we can buy someone in the January window. I don't think it was an easy save, but I do think he should have done better (I don't think he got anything on it). I also don't think it was a howler but it did cost us the game.

exiledeagle
23-10-2017, 08:11 AM
Cabaye's foul was important.They were kicking lumps out of us before that and we were just taking it.Cabaye was having none of it and went flying into Yedlin straight after the Zaha incident.They barely laid a glove on us after that.

It was an awful tackle and amazed he was not sent off . It affected Cabaye as he seemed anonymous after that . I did not notice any difference to Newcastle`s play after his tackle .

Sceagle
23-10-2017, 08:48 AM
We were the better team, didn't deserve to lose. Zaha back post header would have been finished by Benteke. PVA should be on two goals this season. Don't think Schlupp adds much and would have subbed him for PVA. All in all, not bad. The points are coming.

Martin H
23-10-2017, 09:13 AM

Funnily enough, I agree with your sentence as a generalisation. But obviously it's a generalisation. e.g. - an unseen bullet header in the top corner yards from goal wouldn't be the same as a visible powder puff into the keepers hands.

I don't really understand why you keep referencing the Deeney goal but I did also take a look to jog my memory. In my view there is quite a difference between those 2 goals. TBH it's quite a good example of the generalisation point albeit not as extreme. By referring to it you obviously risk making this a Hennessey vs Speroni issue even if that isn't your intention.

Anyway, I get your general point but disagree with this example. That isn't a verdict on who should play next week, it's just an opinion on that goal. Thankfully we don't have to agree :D

Cheers

Sceagle
23-10-2017, 09:27 AM
Another day, Wilf sticks that header in and PVA scores the tap in. Mix in the other chances we had, we could have won 3-0.

bald-eagle
23-10-2017, 09:28 AM
Shelvey is a snidey little bastard - no idea how the prick didnít get booked. Thinks heís so much better than he is as well. Wanker!

spot on. should have been booked in the first half for a succession of fouls and that would have stopped him carrying on in the second.

Possibly could have given a pen away for a challenge on wilf immediately prior to Cabaye's yellow - that's why Cabeye went in like he did, frustration at Wilf not getting any thing from a poor home ref.

Also shelvey pulled Cabaye back by the neck at the corner which led to the goal. Should have been spotted by the ref and a foul give, absolutely blatant. Every time you see the replay it easily spotted.

bald-eagle
23-10-2017, 09:32 AM
Another day, Wilf sticks that header in and PVA scores the tap in. Mix in the other chances we had, we could have won 3-0.

Wilf was never going to score with that header, he seems incapable of generating any power in headers unless there's good pace on the ball to start with. Not knocking him, just saying

Mr Palace
23-10-2017, 09:39 AM

Not bad going when we didn't have a single shot on target! But I know what you mean - we had one glorious chance in particular when PvA just seemed to either bottle it or take his eye off the ball. It was the chance of the game and almost certainly all three points for us if he had of taken it. Such a shame.

Yoda
23-10-2017, 09:44 AM
Wilf was never going to score with that header, he seems incapable of generating any power in headers unless there's good pace on the ball to start with. Not knocking him, just saying

Wilf himself admits heís not great at headers, certainly not good enough to play striker regularly at this level.

Itís a shame, but I guess his genius with his feet is slightly counter-balanced by being a bit rubbish with his bonce!

Sceagle
23-10-2017, 09:49 AM
Meh, anyone can head a ball, Wilf just pussies out.

Martin H
23-10-2017, 10:08 AM
When you think about it, we have gone from the sublime to the ridiculous with our aerial threat up front by replacing Benteke with Wilf and Andros. Andros is probably the only player who heads a ball less often than Wilf and with less effect. Doh!

Old Joe Paxton
23-10-2017, 10:35 AM
How did PVA miss? It was going quickly and yards ahead of him

Martin H
23-10-2017, 10:47 AM

I had heard about it before seeing it and was a bit surprised it was described as a sitter by some. I was just gutted Ruben didn't smash it at goal, unless that was what he did and misjudged it ?

We seem to a bit shot shy up there at times. Obviously we don't want to waste opportunity blasting it from range but equally, you don't score if you don't shoot.

Mr Palace
23-10-2017, 10:54 AM
PvA needed to be braver and he would have got that. He seemed to hesitate.

andyocpfc
23-10-2017, 10:58 AM
I noticed a lot on Saturday that both Wilf and Andros naturally moved out to the wings and looked to cross it but a) the box was often empty and b) even if we did we have very little aerial presence to cause a problem to them.

exiledeagle
23-10-2017, 11:00 AM

My thoughts as well . The ball was just going too fast across the surface . He didn't bottle it . Said before not many full backs would get in that position ( but yes he does need to improve defensively ) . Also not sure whether RLC mishit his shot and it wasn't a deliberate pass ?

st albans
23-10-2017, 11:24 AM

as it was only 6 yards out shouldn't a keeper be coming to either claim or punch it

glaziers fan
23-10-2017, 11:28 AM
My thoughts as well . The ball was just going too fast across the surface . He didn't bottle it . Said before not many full backs would get in that position ( but yes he does need to improve defensively ) . Also not sure whether RLC mishit his shot and it wasn't a deliberate pass ?

Agreed. Way too much stick for PVA.

He's not the best defender in terms of positioning or heading, but he's ok in the tackle, and decent on the ball. And what you do get is those forward runs. He's exactly what we need in games like this. I give him huge credit for even being in that position, as you rightly say.

glaziers fan
23-10-2017, 11:31 AM
as it was only 6 yards out shouldn't a keeper be coming to either claim or punch it

Well, that is the kind of dominant keeper I would like us to have, but Speroni and Hennessey have always been shot-stoppers who are afraid to command their box. I hope when we do finally sign a new keepr we get someone who will own the penalty area.

Mr Palace
23-10-2017, 11:32 AM
Expectations are so low these days. PvA is a £60k per week plus defender and people are happy with someone who can't defend and who adds very little going forward. If he isn't creating then his defensive deficiencies make him a poor choice IMO. Schlupp needs to be restored to left back where he played well last season. I think he has suffered from being played in multiple positions.

917L
23-10-2017, 11:54 AM

It was clearly a deliberate cross

glaziers fan
23-10-2017, 12:04 PM
From that download I would have said :

Speroni - 5 - might seem harsh but he had very little to do other than clear the ball upfield and deal with a handful of shots. He misjudged Shelvey's thunderbolt and almost dived out of the way, just saving it with a hand reaching back to where he had been and he really should have tipped their goal over the bar. With so little to do, there were no redeeming factors. It unfortunately cost us the game.

Ward - 6 - Playing far better than earlier in the season but is too often getting done by wingers for pace and/or tricks. Has been covering for the CBs well.

Dann - 6.5 - has slowly playing back towards his better form in recent games. Looking composed. Still concerned re lack of pace and he no longer dominates the opponents box at FKs but defending well.

Sakho - 6. 5 - NOt back to his best yet but still effective. Takes too many risks for the sake of my nerves but gets away with most.

PVA - 5.5 - frustrating player. Has something but it isn't top level defending and we don't seem to facilitate his attacking.

Macca - 6 - solid, hard working. Just think for this match we should have had him on the left side instead of Schlupp or PVA and started with Ruben. Either that or sitting on Shelvey.

Cabaye - 6.5 - another battling performance and far too often the only one trying to get into the box despite coming from deep. Risky tackle but yellow was probably 'just' about right.

Luka - 6.5 - ditto Cabaye but sits deep covering while Yo is making those runs.

Schlupp - 5.5 - another frustration. At times he really looked the part then at others looks almost as if he is lost and playing his first game of football. I wonder if he needs to pick a position and stick to it (career wise).

Townsend - 6.5 - another hard working performance. Not sure about decision making and shooting but we need him at this level as a minimum.

Zaha - 6.5 - some flashes of genius but seemed too disturbed by the row with Ritchie which was a shame. Second half he showed less and I kind of understand why he was taken off.

As I said above, we did more than deserve a point but gave it away at the end. It's always damned if you do or don't but it just feels like we dropped deep to defend the last phase and it simply invited them on to their best spell and that stupid corner. If we were going to defend it out then surely there were other subs to bolster our defensive shape and set pieces. I would personally have favoured pushing them back by bringing on RLC but adding some fresh legs elsewhere in the middle too.

I don't think we can see out the remaining weeks trying to play without someone at least trying/pretending to be a striker. If the current ploy is to play with just the two wingers then they have to be far more willing to pull the trigger and they have to hit the target. The 'other one' has to bust a gut to get into the area they can't stand and watch from the far post.

Agree with a lot of what you say.

We played well against Newcastle and Chelsea. The difference between the 2 games is that whilst Chelsea came forward to give us space on the counter, against Newcastle they sat back in numbers. They were quite content with a 0-0 until we gifted them the impetus with our sub, and they fluked the goal from a set-piece.

It is precisely for games against inferior opposition who will sit back that we need Benteke. (And that FdB might have helped us with in the long term.) We have more quality than at least 10 sides in the Premier League, but we need to give our players the opportunity to flourish in these games. That means being tactically flexible to see where the game is going, and hopefully to also preempt the opposition's approach. Against the big teams we will either lose because they have more quality (acceptable) or win due to our threat on the counter attack. But it is against inferior opposition where we need to improve.

A good start would be to play our best attacking players for these games. The old mantra "you don't change a winning team" probably affected Hodgson's decision-making process for picking the XI. It clouded his judgment. Newcastle is a completely different challenge to Chelsea. We were always going to have more of the ball, and we should have set up in a way that reflected this, with more attacking players in the XI. RLC should have started. Absolutely he should have done, with Schlupp making way, but RH was also probably concerned about Ruben's "lack of experience". Which is a massive shame because RLC has been our best player in every game he has started!

I was surprised by the extent to which Newcastle sat back. Again, this is where Roy should have used his football intelligence, and adapted our style to suit; if not at half time then after 60 mins or so. RLC should have been brought on much earlier. And it shouldn't have been Wilf or Townsend coming off, it should have been either JS or JM. We needed our 3 fit attacking players on the field at the same time: AT, WZ and RLC. (As an aside you make a good point about our midfield in the last 20 mins. Cabaye, already on a yellow card, should have been subbed for Riedewald.)

We will be ok, but RH will need to show better game management, and a more attacking mindset. RLC simply must start every game he is fit. The same goes for Townsend, Zaha and Benteke, and in the latter's absence it is even more imperative that the former 3 do indeed start. I look forward to seeing the starting XI for the West Ham game, and I hope that errors are not repeated. I will then be interested to see how West Ham approach the game. Will they see it as winnable, and attack us? If they do I think we will pick them off on the counter. If they sit deep we will struggle to break them down, and Roy must work some offensive magic from the touchline. Big game. It's not must-win at this stage, but it is a please please please win game! One point will not satisfy me. What about you?

GrayP41ace
23-10-2017, 12:28 PM
Funnily enough, I agree with your sentence as a generalisation. But obviously it's a generalisation. e.g. - an unseen bullet header in the top corner yards from goal wouldn't be the same as a visible powder puff into the keepers hands.

I don't really understand why you keep referencing the Deeney goal but I did also take a look to jog my memory. In my view there is quite a difference between those 2 goals. TBH it's quite a good example of the generalisation point albeit not as extreme. By referring to it you obviously risk making this a Hennessey vs Speroni issue even if that isn't your intention.

Anyway, I get your general point but disagree with this example. That isn't a verdict on who should play next week, it's just an opinion on that goal. Thankfully we don't have to agree :D

Cheers

I referenced the Deeney header as it was the first free header from a corner that I could remember off the top of my head (there was a video posted for the Charlton goal I could have referenced, Aguero goal or Lescott's too) that he rightly wasn't singled out for conceding. I agree it wasn't exactly the same, but almost. A free header, from 5/6 yards out, that goes over the keepers head, Deeneys header was faster but lower, Merino slower but higher.

The intention was to defend the notion any free header should expectedly (is that a word?) be saved from 5/6 yards out, and that by suggesting Hennessey does save (not so much you) what Speroni doesn't isn't that much of a sure thing. The fact Hennessey got little criticism from it (rightly), and Speroni has was the bit I was confused by.

This was not a one/or the other debate, merely that both should be given the benefit of the doubt when beaten from 5 yards out. If we are going to be using that as a stick to beat either keeper with, then we are well and truly outdoing ourselves in the criticism stakes!

Haha indeed, that verdict will never be decided by us thank ****.

GrayP41ace
23-10-2017, 12:31 PM

He had a Newcastle player in front of him to stop him doing precisely that. Add to it that PVA was marking said player, unless he becomes Casper or Mr Fantastic, he is never getting there.

macstar
23-10-2017, 12:41 PM
He had a Newcastle player in front of him to stop him doing precisely that. Add to it that PVA was marking said player, unless he becomes Casper or Mr Fantastic, he is never getting there.

Yep... the box was too crowded and as we know McArthur actually got there first to clear it but his lack of height was an element to the bad luck that then occurred.

4 cryingOutloud
23-10-2017, 02:26 PM

EXACTLY! The only problem is that both our goalkeepers glue themselves to the line and don't have the ability to do that. Anything in the 6 yard box is (or should be) the goalkeepers.

4 cryingOutloud
23-10-2017, 02:46 PM

There was no player in front of him and he had a clear view of the ball, look again. He's was never going to get there anyway, and I think we all know that if we're honest, because he never leaves his line. The inner edges of the posts must be 7.32 metres (8 yards) apart, and the lower edge of the crossbar must be 2.44 metres (8 feet) above the ground. Speroni stands 6′ 1″ and the ball passed directly over his head in that 23 inch space, and well under the bar. Just extending his hands would have stopped the ball, but as usual, he had to attempt one of his crowd pleasing acrobatic maneuvers, and he frucked it up. It was such a simple save (or a stop really) which he saw all the way. Let's not be pussies when attributing blame when it's so obvious who the culprit was in this case.

andyocpfc
23-10-2017, 02:56 PM

Whether or not it helps the debate- this was the moment Macca headed it.

I have to say at that moment, all looks fine and happy with Jules where he is. If he had come out the guy would have headed it into an empty net.

grand aigle
23-10-2017, 03:04 PM
There was no player in front of him and he had a clear view of the ball, look again. He's was never going to get there anyway, and I think we all know that if we're honest, because he never leaves his line. The inner edges of the posts must be 7.32 metres (8 yards) apart, and the lower edge of the crossbar must be 2.44 metres (8 feet) above the ground. Speroni stands 6′ 1″ and the ball passed directly over his head in that 23 inch space, and well under the bar. Just extending his hands would have stopped the ball, but as usual, he had to attempt one of his crowd pleasing acrobatic maneuvers, and he frucked it up. It was such a simple save (or a stop really) which he saw all the way. Let's not be pussies when attributing blame when it's so obvious who the culprit was in this case.

Fine , just as long as others attribute blame to Hennessey when he screws up once again , as he surely will....he aint a goalkeeping great now and never will be! Dont try and pretend hes faultless because hes not!

macstar
23-10-2017, 03:14 PM

I have to say at that moment, all looks fine and happy with Jules where he is. If he had come out the guy would have headed it into an empty net.

exactly. It was bad luck and mcarthurs lack of height/poor jump which are the factors.

Saying that, the corner was put into a great area. If only we did that more.

Johnnieboy
23-10-2017, 03:32 PM

Watching on MOTD, by the time Jules went to jump, it looked like PvA was right behind him and may have impeded his movement slightly.

andyocpfc
23-10-2017, 03:34 PM
We can rip the shit out of everything to do with their goal but I think we mainly have to put it down to bloody bad luck.

thereichstuff
23-10-2017, 03:36 PM
The troll has all the hallmarks of another one of bottys :rolleyes:

4 cryingOutloud
23-10-2017, 03:42 PM
Fine , just as long as others attribute blame to Hennessey when he screws up once again , as he surely will....he aint a goalkeeping great now and never will be! Dont try and pretend hes faultless because hes not!

I never have pretended anything matey, unlike those who constantly blame him for everything, but see no wrong in Speroni, who, IMO has never been as great as some make out, especially in the premiership. Sure, he's been a loyal servant to the club, but that doesn't mean his sh!t don't stink. :rolleyes::wallbash:

Martin H
23-10-2017, 03:46 PM
exactly. It was bad luck and mcarthurs lack of height/poor jump which are the factors.

Saying that, the corner was put into a great area. If only we did that more.

Can't be anything to do with Macca's poor jump - he won the header! He headed it and it rebounded off the dude's head. I nearly added something to an earlier post that typically here the 'defender' should have won the header but TBH Macca did. It's a freakish event that ended with it going goalwards. But from the keepers perspective it was really just like the forward won the header. I assume that is why Jules sat with his arms out after it went in. I couldn't see any sign of a foul, unless he had seen the Cabaye incident?

4 cryingOutloud
23-10-2017, 03:58 PM
For those who want to see the goal again. Fast forward to 8:51 and tell me Speroni didn't have a good view of the flight of the ball, and wasn't to blame.

https://eagles.cpfc.co.uk/?_ga=2.15964149.215378376.1508773657-1224972736.1498487997

Owngoal
23-10-2017, 04:31 PM
Speroni should have done better for their goal but we should have scored from one of the chances and then it would not have mattered. All I care about is that regardless of who is in goal on Saturday we defend well again (Newcastle were little threat because of this) and get some goals past Joe 'England' Hart who is worse than both our keepers.

palace23
23-10-2017, 04:39 PM

Everyone keeps on mentioning the PVA chance and how Roy was wrong to take off Wilf. I haven't read every post and do think that Wilf should have been moved to Left Wing instead of being taken off but, from the game I saw Wilf missed a free header which would have put us at 1-0.
Read some great posts here though thanks for pointing out many things.
Onwards to West Ham...
When we get behind the team from before the game like against Chelsea hopefully we can again get the early breakthrough.

:lux:

CP Satellite
23-10-2017, 06:04 PM
For those who want to see the goal again. Fast forward to 8:51 and tell me Speroni didn't have a good view of the flight of the ball, and wasn't to blame.

https://eagles.cpfc.co.uk/?_ga=2.15964149.215378376.1508773657-1224972736.1498487997

Did anyone else spot Shelvey cuffing Cabaye around the head as the corner came in - straight in front of Atwell too?

There were several bits of bad luck in the space of a split second!

Wrightys Tooth
23-10-2017, 10:12 PM

Totally agree. I was in a bar in Bishops Stortford a couple of years ago, and he came in. It was some sort of charity night, with a band, tiny stage etc which was nothing to do with him... but he got up and said a few words (don't ask me what (cheers/hic) but he made everyone proper laugh) Not a 'look at me, I'm a star' bone in him.

big bad John
24-10-2017, 12:03 AM
I left before they scored.

Do you really think you should be starting a thread critiquing the performance of our players when you miss approx 15% of the match. You did the same last season when you gave Wickham no ratings because you said that he was anonymous once he came on.When it was pointed out to you that he very nearly scored in the last seconds you admitted to having left early. Never review the book without reading the last chapter. Leave the marks out of ten to those who actually watch the whole match.

Mad Raschic Ken
24-10-2017, 07:22 AM
Did anyone else spot Shelvey cuffing Cabaye around the head as the corner came in - straight in front of Atwell too?

Certainly did. I was shouting for a free kick before the ball reached McArthur and Merino.

elgin eagle
24-10-2017, 07:34 AM

They were at it all match. If Matt Ritchie is unlucky enough to meet me coming the other way at some point in the future he might find out how it feels to be winded himself.

andyocpfc
24-10-2017, 07:39 AM

I've just caught up with this thread in its entirety. I have to ask, why did you leave that early GF at such a crucial time? I know people leave early (ie injury time etc) but that's really early to leave. Not trying to have a pop, just intrigued as you must have missed about 15 mins of the match inc injury time.

bigend1
24-10-2017, 08:17 AM

How the ******* hell did that goal stand? Easy to miss on tv but right in front of the ref. Shelvey wraps his arm around cabaye's head and takes him out completely. That's violent conduct and a ban surely

Edit. Not blaming the ref btw, we won that game regardless with a striker. Just frustrating because it's so blatant on the replays and whilst ref doesn't have the Privilege of that he wasn't far away and had three other officials to help.

Martin H
24-10-2017, 08:49 AM
Newcastle have developed a nasty attitude during their Championship spell. No surprise with Shelvey but hadn't realised that Ritchie was such a niggly player and proper windup merchant. With today's cameras and analysis how do they both get away with it and TBH why are they daft enough to try?

Cabaye has his moments himself, I know but I thought he did really well to stay out of trouble after that booking because they were at him for the whole of the match. His wild tackle was a very bright yellow but I think a red would have been harsh. It looks bad because there is no doubt about intent and the sweeping leg and some refs would have sent him off I am sure but I thought the pundit reaction was a bit over the top. This wasn't out of control, it was just very deliberate and blatant. I am not defending Yohan here because he took a stupid risk and could have left us with 10 men, more agreeing with the decision. Yedlin is no angel either, which I had only realised watching him the week before.

glaziers fan
24-10-2017, 08:51 AM
I've just caught up with this thread in its entirety. I have to ask, why did you leave that early GF at such a crucial time? I know people leave early (ie injury time etc) but that's really early to leave. Not trying to have a pop, just intrigued as you must have missed about 15 mins of the match inc injury time.

I didn't actually leave that early - but thought about it such was my disgust at the Zaha substitution! The truth is I couldn't see who was marking who from so far away ;)

glaziers fan
24-10-2017, 08:53 AM
Newcastle have developed a nasty attitude during their Championship spell. No surprise with Shelvey but hadn't realised that Ritchie was such a niggly player and proper windup merchant. With today's cameras and analysis how do they both get away with it and TBH why are they daft enough to try?

Cabaye has his moments himself, I know but I thought he did really well to stay out of trouble after that booking because they were at him for the whole of the match. His wild tackle was a very bright yellow but I think a red would have been harsh. It looks bad because there is no doubt about intent and the sweeping leg and some refs would have sent him off I am sure but I thought the pundit reaction was a bit over the top. This wasn't out of control, it was just very deliberate and blatant. I am not defending Yohan here because he took a stupid risk and could have left us with 10 men, more agreeing with the decision. Yedlin is no angel either, which I had only realised watching him the week before.

Penalty, Shelvey on Zaha?

Martin H
24-10-2017, 12:52 PM
Penalty, Shelvey on Zaha?

I didn't think the Yedlin, Shelvey thing was a penalty. I suspect Cabaye thought it was and having watched Shelvey get away with the tackle on Sakho and a couple of other things already, he decided to make a point. As it turned out he got away with it but it could have been a nightmare if he was out for a couple of games etc. as well as losing.

I am a bit depressed now thanks to you :D I watched the eagles rerun to see the penalty incident again and of course saw the goal and the missed chances yet again. Doh - depressing.

glaziers fan
24-10-2017, 12:59 PM
I didn't think the Yedlin, Shelvey thing was a penalty. I suspect Cabaye thought it was and having watched Shelvey get away with the tackle on Sakho and a couple of other things already, he decided to make a point. As it turned out he got away with it but it could have been a nightmare if he was out for a couple of games etc. as well as losing.

I am a bit depressed now thanks to you :D I watched the eagles rerun to see the penalty incident again and of course saw the goal and the missed chances yet again. Doh - depressing.

I think there was contact from Shelvey. But, as you say, the main thing is Cabaye getting only a yellow. A straight red for a bad tackle is a 3 game ban isn't it? That would have been awful. 2 of the next 3 are home games against teams around the relegation zone. Cabaye is a crucial cog in our machine.

TheCharmer1
24-10-2017, 01:10 PM
I think there was contact from Shelvey. But, as you say, the main thing is Cabaye getting only a yellow. A straight red for a bad tackle is a 3 game ban isn't it? That would have been awful. 2 of the next 3 are home games against teams around the relegation zone. Cabaye is a crucial cog in our machine.

just needs to control his emotions, which he struggles with

jimmy the gent
24-10-2017, 01:12 PM
Complaining about the ref seems a tad daft after he gave Cabaye the benefit of the doubt on that Red card (think 4 times out of 5 a ref gives a straight red there). Had that been the case we'd have no cabaye for the next 3 games, a vital player to lose.

Mad Raschic Ken
24-10-2017, 01:24 PM
Complaining about the ref seems a tad daft after he gave Cabaye the benefit of the doubt on that Red card (think 4 times out of 5 a ref gives a straight red there). Had that been the case we'd have no cabaye for the next 3 games, a vital player to lose.

At the time I wondered whether it was a lino or the 4th official that saved Cabaye. The ref sprinted over there reaching for his pocket, which is usually the sign that a red is on the way. Then he suddenly calmed down and took his time. Pretty sure someone was in his ear telling him not to be too hasty.

jimos_uk
24-10-2017, 01:43 PM

From watching on TV, it looked worse in real time than it was - you're right though, in that instance, the ref did us a favour by being sensible. I remember saying when Cabaye signed that he has a streak in him - he showed it on Saturday and, given the reception he was given, I felt he was always going to go in hard on someone. Glad it doesn't mean an immediate suspension with a run of games coming up that we have a good chance of getting points from.

The ref could also have easily sent off Joselu for a second bookable (and arguably, should have done). I guess these things even out, but there was a nasty side to Newcastle that I don't think I expected.

redeagle
24-10-2017, 02:25 PM
Having watched the highlights a couple of times Speroni should have tipped it over the bar. It was straight at him and not particularly hard. While Speroni was once a great keeper he is now, in different ways, as poor as Hennessy. Shocking state of affairs that we have two such poor keepers.

jimmy the gent
24-10-2017, 04:50 PM
Having watched the highlights a couple of times Speroni should have tipped it over the bar. It was straight at him and not particularly hard. While Speroni was once a great keeper he is now, in different ways, as poor as Hennessy. Shocking state of affairs that we have two such poor keepers.

Yep. He, like Hennessey, is absolutely not Premiership Class. They are both mid table Champ keepers. Along with the striker situation it's absolutely shocking club management from Parish. Stunningly bad, frankly.

adrenalin john
24-10-2017, 05:15 PM
From watching on TV, it looked worse in real time than it was - you're right though, in that instance, the ref did us a favour by being sensible. I remember saying when Cabaye signed that he has a streak in him - he showed it on Saturday and, given the reception he was given, I felt he was always going to go in hard on someone. Glad it doesn't mean an immediate suspension with a run of games coming up that we have a good chance of getting points from.

The ref could also have easily sent off Joselu for a second bookable (and arguably, should have done). I guess these things even out, but there was a nasty side to Newcastle that I don't think I expected.

Yedlin was the chief culprit kicking lumps out of Wilf, but they were all at it. However after Cabaye took Yedlin out, despite his miraculous recovery, he at least stopped kicking the shit out of Wilf.

Yes cabaye could easily have gone but the ref should have stamped down on newcastle way way before that.

Dirty team but without the rep - bit like scummy Bournemouth in that respect.

adrenalin john
24-10-2017, 05:17 PM

Can't disagree with this. Both are real triers but simply aren't good enough.

Hennessey, being so much taller, I think would have saved it, but he may have caused other issues...

Alfonso
26-10-2017, 09:52 PM
My view of the game here: https://youtu.be/-b6gzee6JFY