PDA

View Full Version : 15 points by new year

cpfc 81
22-10-2017, 10:14 AM
Surely with run of games and better team structure we can get to 15 points by xmas?

It's a marathon not a sprint hence at xmas under pulis we had 15 points and finished on 48 points.

Just got to keep the belief, things can change with little runs.

McpfcS
22-10-2017, 10:19 AM
Exactly. In all but one season since promotion we've had 16 points at the half way stage and stayed up with something to spare.

But given how our fixtures play out in the second half of the season it's going to be stressful and likely rely on us taking significant points from our last six games.

old git
22-10-2017, 10:23 AM
We only had three points from ten games in 2013/14 and stayed up with plenty to spare.;)

FourtyTwo
22-10-2017, 10:24 AM
With the run of games we’ve got, to be on 15 points by New Year would be disappointing IMO. There’s 8 winnable games before Christmas - if we lose 4 of those, it won’t be very good. 4 wins would be okay, if backed with a couple of draws as well.

sheepy
22-10-2017, 10:26 AM
I'd still take 15 points by the end of the season. Until we hit 11 points that Derby record is gonna hang over the club like a black cloud.

McpfcS
22-10-2017, 11:22 AM
I'd still take 15 points by the end of the season. Until we hit 11 points that Derby record is gonna hang over the club like a black cloud.

Who cares? I donít care if we get 11 or 35 points if it takes us down.

CharlieCPFC
22-10-2017, 11:38 AM
The thing that gives me hope is we have the quality in our strongest 11 to achieve top 6 form over a few games as we showed last season. That's all it will take and I'm confident we'll strengthen well in January to see us finish the job.

libran
22-10-2017, 11:41 AM
We're one striker away from a very good team. All over Newcastle for much of yesterday, but lacking that final product.

jimmy the gent
22-10-2017, 12:25 PM
We're one striker away from a very good team. All over Newcastle for much of yesterday, but lacking that final product.

A striker and a goalkeeper. I still cant get over going into September with two championship keepers and one striker. Mind boggling incompetence by Parish.

Penstone Eagle
22-10-2017, 12:28 PM
A striker and a goalkeeper. I still cant get over going into September with two championship keepers and one striker. Mind boggling incompetence by Parish.

Shhh, not allowed to mention that.

Selhurst Celtic
22-10-2017, 12:37 PM
Why has nobody mentioned that before?

Ooh Betty
22-10-2017, 01:45 PM
With the run of games weíve got, to be on 15 points by New Year would be disappointing IMO. Thereís 8 winnable games before Christmas - if we lose 4 of those, it wonít be very good. 4 wins would be okay, if backed with a couple of draws as well.

We've lost all of our 'winnable games' so far.

Ooh Betty
22-10-2017, 01:46 PM
The thing that gives me hope is we have the quality in our strongest 11 to achieve top 6 form over a few games as we showed last season. That's all it will take and I'm confident we'll strengthen well in January to see us finish the job.

Cloud cuckoo land..

Maiden Eagle
22-10-2017, 02:01 PM
We've lost all of our 'winnable games' so far.

This

Maiden Eagle
22-10-2017, 02:02 PM

And this (although I am not allowed to mention it)

newish eagle
22-10-2017, 02:10 PM
This could get more comical by the week.

If we just go on a...
-six
-seven
-eight
-etc

....game run, we’ll pull clear...

wawman_15
22-10-2017, 03:16 PM
I believe anything less than 20 points by xmas is a disappointment.

Fixtures get real tough after that

cpfc 81
22-10-2017, 03:22 PM
What's the earliest benteke will be back?

McpfcS
22-10-2017, 03:23 PM
This could get more comical by the week.

If we just go on a...
-six
-seven
-eight
-etc

....game run, weíll pull clear...

You're continuing to miss the point. No "run" is necessary just need to win any four games (out of 9) before New Year.

McpfcS
22-10-2017, 03:24 PM
I believe anything less than 20 points by xmas is a disappointment.

Fixtures get real tough after that

Fixtures are the same before and after Xmas? Got to play everyone twice.

wawman_15
22-10-2017, 03:27 PM
Fixtures are the same before and after Xmas? Got to play everyone twice.

Iíll put it a bit better sorry.

The games from Boxing Day to March look tough then it softens up towards the end.

We need to bank some points by xmas to allow for that tough run so we arenít counting on those last 5 games

cpfc 81
22-10-2017, 03:30 PM

The games from Boxing Day to March look tough then it softens up towards the end.

We need to bank some points by xmas to allow for that tough run so we arenít counting on those last 5 games

I would say boxing day to march looks ok really

McpfcS
22-10-2017, 03:36 PM

That is fair. The last six games will no doubt be rather stressful.

wawman_15
22-10-2017, 03:37 PM
I would say boxing day to march looks ok really

Definitely some tough ones in there. I look at the fixtures from now till xmas as very winnable (minus spurs) then all fixtures from April onwards all very winnable too. That chunk in between has some of the better teams.

simonjmac
23-10-2017, 02:30 AM
7 of our 9 games have been to top 10 sides....our fitures were really tough as it turns out...

spt1978
23-10-2017, 03:48 AM
Suspect we have used up all our luck and we go down.

Strangely the thought of the championship does not seem so bad, hello old friend.

sw16girl
23-10-2017, 07:22 AM
7 of our 9 games have been to top 10 sides....our fitures were really tough as it turns out...

Some of them are top 10 only because they beat us. At this stage of the season those stars are extremely unreliable.

Hector
23-10-2017, 07:23 AM
Problem is the pressure that is now on 'winnable' games is huge. West Ham next weekend is almost a must win game, certainly a must not lose, and we are only 9 games in.

Jim Cannon
23-10-2017, 07:25 AM

We live in hope but we deffo need to be on 15 minimum

cpfc4evandeva
23-10-2017, 07:33 AM
Who cares? I don’t care if we get 11 or 35 points if it takes us down.

Seriously? If we were to get 11 points, that means for the remadiner of the season we would likely achieve just 2 wins and 2 draws.

I don't go to Selhurst (or away) expecting to win, but I go there expecting the team to put in some fight. If we were to have a Derby type season, it would clearly point towards there being no fight in the team at all. Especially when fully fit (ha!), our first choice XI is actually decent. Can't say the same about the squad though...

I can accept shit football, but I can't accept zero effort from the players.

pallet
23-10-2017, 08:22 AM
If we get 15 points before the new year I will be amazed, its like the 12 wins thread. Yes I want us to do it but losing 8 out of the 9 opening games . we have nt even managed to dig out any draws.

cpfc4evandeva
23-10-2017, 08:48 AM
If we get 15 points before the new year I will be amazed, its like the 12 wins thread. Yes I want us to do it but losing 8 out of the 9 opening games . we have nt even managed to dig out any draws.

Biggest difference between this season and last is that even if we had a horrendous start like this goals wise, I'm convinced that we would have got draws out of Liverpool, Burnley and Newcastle, under Allardyce.

DARZET EAGLE
23-10-2017, 09:44 AM
Biggest difference between this season and last is that even if we had a horrendous start like this goals wise, I'm convinced that we would have got draws out of Liverpool, Burnley and Newcastle, under Allardyce.

I agree, but this season two different managers failed to do so. See the Chelsea win as an unexpected bonus which covers the draws from the games you refer to.

Hector
23-10-2017, 09:48 AM

We would have been no where near this sh*t start. Roy has got a chance of keeping us up but only a punchers chance. Greatest achievement is our history if he does it.

whereEaglesFly
23-10-2017, 09:54 AM

Not sure why, we only had 3 draws in 24 games under Allardyce.

whereEaglesFly
23-10-2017, 09:55 AM
We would have been no where near this sh*t start. Roy has got a chance of keeping us up but only a punchers chance. Greatest achievement is our history if he does it.

Pulis took over in a worse position imo

McpfcS
23-10-2017, 09:59 AM

Nonsense Pulis, Pardew (first season) and Sam all had much tougher tasks.

Mr Palace
23-10-2017, 11:37 AM

They won't stay in the top 10. We've had a great start in terms of home fixtures in particular and some winnable away games. Who are the easier teams that we've got to play if we can't take points from Huddersfield, Newcastle, Burnley, Swansea, Southampton etc?

The good news is that our next run of home games are very winnable. We should be looking at 4-5 wins from them alone and this would give us a great chance.

cpfc4evandeva
23-10-2017, 11:55 AM
Not sure why, we only had 3 draws in 24 games under Allardyce.

Because we actually scored goals, meaning that the games where we were the better team, we tended to win. I said that if Allardyce was in charge of this team that struggled to score, we would still get the odd point. In the games I mentioned where we actually played ok, I think Allardyce would have secured a point if we hadn't of scored.

Hong Kong Eagle
24-10-2017, 01:19 AM
It's not really an issue whether the games coming up are considered more or less winnable than any other game.

We have no form for doing better in 'easier' games or worse in 'harder' games.

It depends IMHO on the form we are in , we have proven we can beat just about anybody if we are on top form.

adrenalin john
24-10-2017, 04:44 AM
We have been bang unlucky. We should have won at Bunley and drawn against Newc, Swansea and

We have the squad and players to survive but the pressure of being cut adrift is real

cpfc4evandeva
24-10-2017, 04:58 AM
But we don't have the squad to survive? 1 proper centre forward and that's it, with 2 keepers that both have question marks over them.

We have a good first XI, but not a good squad.

JackTheBiscuit
24-10-2017, 08:37 AM
We have been bang unlucky. We should have won at Bunley and drawn against Newc, Swansea and

We have the squad and players to survive but the pressure of being cut adrift is real

In what world is having a two goalkeepers not up to standard at this level and one fit striker unlucky? It is negligence, nothing else.

JackTheBiscuit
24-10-2017, 08:40 AM

And Burnley have played Chelsea, Liverpool, Spurs, Everton and City away. What's your point?

Hector
24-10-2017, 09:20 AM

Amazing how many relegated teams say this.