PDA

View Full Version : advantage of having a big keeper

Cpfcbob
24-10-2017, 08:31 PM
Can some please explain the advantage of having a big keeper? There is nothing WH does to enhance our team by being tall. How can you be scared to catch a cross at 6ft6?

glaziers fan
25-10-2017, 09:25 AM
It's only an advantage if he's agile, with good reflexes for shot-stopping, and can command his box. Sadly WH hasn't any of those attributes. Speroni may be 38, but Shilton was 40+ and still playing at the top level. We need a new keeper in January. Preferably someone who is big, and who can command his box. But Speroni will do me for the next 10 games before that.

popovic7
25-10-2017, 09:34 AM
He isn't a "big" keeper though, he is tall but looks like a gust of wind could blow him over. He is too scared of getting hurt, he knows if he tries to claim a catch he isn't strong to knock players out of his way and will probably drop it. As a keeper you need to be fearless. You can see his fear because when he is one on one with a striker he tries to tackle with his feet. There is no way he is getting down to try and make a save like speroni did in the play off final diving at a players feet.

He also sees being tall means he doesn't have to work on his positioning and is very static. You look at smaller keepers and their feet are always moving because they need that extra momentum to reach the corners which improves their reflexes.

jimmy the gent
25-10-2017, 09:47 AM
Schmeichal was the archetypal big keeper, Southall too. Hennessey is, in the words of Harold Shand, a long streak of paralysed piss.

Kirby
25-10-2017, 09:50 AM
Honestly think Peter Crouch would do the same job.

Mr Palace
25-10-2017, 10:43 AM
He's a lanky streak of piss. Not good enough and never has been.

cantspell
25-10-2017, 05:31 PM
Honestly think Peter Crouch would do the same job.

He'd do a better job

Dorking .Eagle
25-10-2017, 05:56 PM
Salako or Clint Hill would do a better job

Nelson Muntz
25-10-2017, 05:57 PM
A streak of my piss is a better keeper than him.

Penstone Eagle
25-10-2017, 06:01 PM
Feeble excuse of a keeper. Need one who comes out and commands the area.

RAB
25-10-2017, 06:17 PM
It's not just physique surely! Being tall or even bulky like Mark Crosssley or Southall is useful so that a goalie can take a shove or barge and the perpetrator bounces off them. As much as any physical quality a goalie needs character and peronalty which is linked to courage. The bravery to take the risk of getting hurt but not thinking about it.

Speroni might lack the height but he has always been brave. His quiet nature perhaps has held him from been put in the same frame as Jackson and Martyn. Arguably.

Martyn. Now there was a Palace goalie who had the lot. I once watched in awe a training session at Bishopdsford Road where all the outfield players, as many as 15 or 16, formed a big ring with Martyn in the middle. Their job was to control and pass the ball with no more than two touches. Martyn's role was to charge at them to intercept the ball or if the player was slack in contol and release, to take man and ball. Happy days! I don't recall any coach supervising this but the players showed a mixture of hysterical fun and fear. Martyn was like a bear!

IanH
25-10-2017, 06:31 PM
Goalkeeper is a funny position - Fraser Forster is 6 foot 7 but has been all over the place for
months now. Joe Hart is 6 foot 5 and has been playing pretty badly for a year or so now. The good thing about Hennessey is that he is very consistent in that he has never been any good!

Kylie_Tracey
25-10-2017, 06:34 PM
It's only an advantage if he's agile, with good reflexes for shot-stopping, and can command his box. Sadly WH hasn't any of those attributes. Speroni may be 38, but Shilton was 40+ and still playing at the top level. We need a new keeper in January. Preferably someone who is big, and who can command his box. But Speroni will do me for the next 10 games before that.

Shilton was hopeless as a 40 year old,slow and nonathletic, took Derby down in the 1990 season, played on far far too long, I could name keepers in the 2nd division who were better, Seaman, Martyn,Flowers and Coton were miles better, if Bobby Robson was still alive and the England manager he'd still pick Shilton.

bodger
25-10-2017, 06:35 PM
If you could get a keeper that was as big as the goal then it would be a big advantage.

BLUE BOY
25-10-2017, 06:39 PM
His feet never seem to leave the ground when he dives.

Kylie_Tracey
25-10-2017, 06:42 PM
His feet never seem to leave the ground when he dives.

that is true, he is dreadful with crosses and high balls in the box, its a case of close your eyes.