PDA

View Full Version : Player Ratings And Reviews: Bristol City away Carabao Cup

firesign
24-10-2017, 10:24 PM
We started off ok and after the first goal I thought we’d win comfortably. But for PVA’s error (as bad as any defensive howler I can ever recall seeing) I think we’d have been fine. He was also at fault in the build up to Bristol’s third - which Hennessey should have saved.

Oh well.

Quite nice stadium to be fair.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
24-10-2017, 10:28 PM
We started off ok and after the first goal I thought weíd win comfortably. But for PVAís error (as bad as any defensive howler I can ever recall seeing) I think weíd have been fine. He was also at fault in the build up to Bristolís third - which Hennessey should have saved.

Oh well.

It's our pathetic reaction (yet again) to (yet another) awful individual error that makes me angry. It was lazy, apathetic, not concentrating defending by PVA. But the way the whole side crumbled was just pathetic. Losing games due to a lack of quality or lack of luck, fair enough, that happens but to repeatedly watch this side lose games for 2 years due to its piss weak mentality really does my head in!

firesign
24-10-2017, 10:30 PM
Indeed - after Bristol equalised they grew in confidence and we shrunk back into our shell. Very disappointing.

Mr Palace
24-10-2017, 10:33 PM
We started off ok and after the first goal I thought weíd win comfortably. But for PVAís error (as bad as any defensive howler I can ever recall seeing) I think weíd have been fine. He was also at fault in the build up to Bristolís third - which Hennessey should have saved.

Oh well.

That really was the worst defensive mistake I've seen in years. He is so utterly clueless. He makes a mess of it first time round but could get away with it until he then commits an even worse error straight away to gift the goal. It defies logic. He just doesn't think. He then made the mistake that led to the third goal and made countless other poor passes. He clearly doesn't give a shit.

richdeniro
24-10-2017, 10:35 PM
Just got back to my hotel room in Bristol town centre. Probably one of the worst performances I’ve seen this decade.

Not even bothered about the £120 I’ve spent on this ‘day out’. The most depressing thing is that this is likely the team we will be lining up with in the Championship next season and based on that performance we are looking at another Peter Taylor type era in that division.

firesign
24-10-2017, 10:35 PM
I’m not sure that PVA doesn’t give a shit - he just is shit and there are no signs that he’s going to get any better.

The Duke
24-10-2017, 10:36 PM
Positives from tonight are that PVA and Hennesey Hopefully get no where near the first team again. Appalling. City weren't all That.

Ciderup
24-10-2017, 10:41 PM
Hi Eagles,
My perspective on the game if you don't mind.
Until our gifted equalizer, I thought you were going to win easily.
After that, you gave up. Sako apart, you were, with the greatest possible respect, absolutely terrible. Your left back had a mare!
I take no happiness in that at all but you played like you had been told to lose.
Appreciated, that's not your first 11 but Loftus Cheek etc, who were bossing the game just disappeared.
All that said, you, the fans had an admirable turn out for a midweek game, over 2,000 I would guess, fair play.
I wish you well in your battle and hope you were impressed with the new Gate plus hope your first 11 can show a lot more 'balls' than the team showed tonight as they were, with the greatest respect, dreadful after we equalized. Confidence is a tough thing to breed I guess.

All the best chaps!
CU.

TouchyAndalou
24-10-2017, 11:01 PM
Hi Eagles,
After that, you gave up. Sako apart, you were, with the greatest possible respect, absolutely terrible. Your left back had a mare!
I take no happiness in that at all but you played like you had been told to lose.
Appreciated, that's not your first 11 but Loftus Cheek etc, who were bossing the game just disappeared.
All that said, you, the fans had an admirable turn out for a midweek game, over 2,000 I would guess, fair play.
I wish you well in your battle and hope you were impressed with the new Gate plus hope your first 11 can show a lot more 'balls' than the team showed tonight as they were, with the greatest respect, dreadful after we equalized. Confidence is a tough thing to breed I guess.

All the best chaps!
CU. What a charming Bristol City fan. Can we keep him?

Ciderup
24-10-2017, 11:04 PM
What a charming Bristol City fan. Can we keep him?
Nope, Brizzle through and through.

Good luck all the same! :hi:

jmemour
24-10-2017, 11:07 PM
Roy comments after the game were spot on. None of the players who were on the side this evening bar Sako can have any claim to a first team place.

ugly and fat
25-10-2017, 12:42 AM
Hi Eagles,

All the best chaps!
CU.

Nail on head......

gilesy14
25-10-2017, 01:01 AM
I haven’t seen such a cowardly performance since New Years Day 2011. Only difference being, Puncheon had a good game in that one.

aj4england
25-10-2017, 01:04 AM
Terrible journey there and back.

Sako , Lee and Kia Kia ( first half ) played pretty well
Loftus was blowing after 15 mins
PVA really poor and naff commitment

Kelly , Fosu, loftus , punch , Tomkins , Wayne all below their individual par - and remember for some of them par is pretty low.

cybais
25-10-2017, 01:15 AM
I voted Hennesey, Muppet of the Match.

garnettwhitevan
25-10-2017, 01:26 AM
Judging by the comments on here tonight after the Bristol City drubbing, it looks like FdB knew what he was talking about regarding the players. Many shouldn't be anywhere near a Premier League Team.

gilesy14
25-10-2017, 01:27 AM
Hi Ronald, how’s your brother doing?

Ralph
25-10-2017, 04:10 AM
The team we put out tonight probably cost us £35M+ along with two loanees probably worth in excess of £10-15M each.

We lost 4-1.

A disgrace.

Benzhiyi
25-10-2017, 06:11 AM
Hennessey 3
Little he could do about any of the goals but his confidence is gone completely. Not upgrading this position in the summer remains unforgiveable

Fosu-Mensah 4
Worst game for the club, but the effort and firm tackling was there

Tomkins 5
Barged in the back every time he went up for a header. Ref offered zero protection

Kelly 5
As above

van Aaanholt 1
Come back Amir Karic, all is forgiven

Puncheon 2
Club captain playing for his place puts in a performance like that? Disgusting. Ponderous on the ball, shockingly poor even with his short passing, went missing second half. Way way behind McArthur in the pecking order on this evidence

Riedewald 5
Looked fine and then contributed *that* clearance to the comedy of errors. Decent footballer but I dunno where you play him. I've criticised the board a lot on here but one thing they're right on is that it was insane for FdB to consider him a centre back

Lee 7
Decent little creative spark playing out wide but drifting inside. Liked his interplay with RLC and Sako. Shithouse ref allowed him to be literally kicked out of the game. Our comeback chances died the instant he went off

Loftus-Cheek 7 (MOM)
Faded badly in the last half hour but loved his pace, power and fearlessness in running at opponents through the middle first half. Great through ball for the goal

Kaikai 6
Encouraging to see him get a start and some decent game time. Troubled both their full-backs while we were on top and can hold his head high unlike 2-3 of our senior pros

Sako 6
Not a centre forward – how's that sunrise looking this morning? – but did okay. The one player actually keen to shoot on sight in and around the box against a shaky keeper. You know, like so many teams do to us? His best Palace game in a long long time, which I realise isn't saying much

Subs 3
Good for them to get some fitness/experience but game was long over at 1-4

Roy 5
****ed by those above him's transfer policy. The scary part of the last night is that while it was considered mostly a reserve team, if we go down this is the calibre of side we'll be putting out at Ashton Gate in the Championship next season. But without Fosu-Mensah and Loftus-Cheek. Fun times

Braders
25-10-2017, 06:37 AM
I haven’t seen such a cowardly performance since New Years Day 2011. Only difference being, Puncheon had a good game in that one.

Is that the one where 'one of our own' and Palace mad Puncheon celebrated delighfully in front of us after scoring a hattrick for our rivals?

One of our own my arse, Puncheon has been the biggest myth on here since KG. Fair play to him duping most of the fans in to thinking he gives a shit. It bought time in the team and even the captaincy.

Kelly, Puncheon, Hennessy, Lee, PvA all need to sold asap.

cantspell
25-10-2017, 06:41 AM
Hennessey 3
Little he could do about any of the goals but his confidence is gone completely. Not upgrading this position in the summer remains unforgiveable

Fosu-Mensah 4
Worst game for the club, but the effort and firm tackling was there

Tomkins 5
Barged in the back every time he went up for a header. Ref offered zero protection

Kelly 5
As above

van Aaanholt 1
Come back Amir Karic, all is forgiven

Puncheon 2
Club captain playing for his place puts in a performance like that? Disgusting. Ponderous on the ball, shockingly poor even with his short passing, went missing second half. Way way behind McArthur in the pecking order on this evidence

Riedewald 5
Looked fine and then contributed *that* clearance to the comedy of errors. Decent footballer but I dunno where you play him. I've criticised the board a lot on here but one thing they're right on is that it was insane for FdB to consider him a centre back

Lee 7
Decent little creative spark playing out wide but drifting inside. Liked his interplay with RLC and Sako. Shithouse ref allowed him to be literally kicked out of the game. Our comeback chances died the instant he went off

Loftus-Cheek 7 (MOM)
Faded badly in the last half hour but loved his pace, power and fearlessness in running at opponents through the middle first half. Great through ball for the goal

Kaikai 6
Encouraging to see him get a start and some decent game time. Troubled both their full-backs while we were on top and can hold his head high unlike 2-3 of our senior pros

Sako 6
Not a centre forward Ė how's that sunrise looking this morning? Ė but did okay. The one player actually keen to shoot on sight in and around the box against a shaky keeper. You know, like so many teams do to us? His best Palace game in a long long time, which I realise isn't saying much

Subs 3
Good for them to get some fitness/experience but game was long over at 1-4

Roy 5
****ed by those above him's transfer policy. The scary part of the last night is that while it was considered mostly a reserve team, if we go down this is the calibre of side we'll be putting out at Ashton Gate in the Championship next season. But without Fosu-Mensah and Loftus-Cheek. Fun times

Was going to post something similar

Maiden Eagle
25-10-2017, 06:55 AM
I've never really got it about all the love for Puncheon, from the start.
The first 2 seasons, he got some vital goals towards the end of those 2 campaigns,
which masked his very ordinary performances in the first months of those seasons.
In 15/16, when we were doing well up to Xmas, he was pretty much the one weak link.
OK, he was nearly the hero at Wembley but how many good games has he had in the last 2 and a bit seasons ? Too slow, too ponderous, he actually seems to slow down any attacks we have.
TBF, he did well when he came on for those 15 mins or so Vs Chelski. So, perhaps as sub to help see out any games we are actually winning (rare!), he is the about the best he can hope for IMO

Cpfcbob
25-10-2017, 07:03 AM
The only positives to take from the game were that we should NEVER see WH or PVA in a Palace shirt again. They are POISION and cannot stand either of them!

Sako deserves to be around the 1st team.

Brumie Allan
25-10-2017, 07:06 AM
Is that the one where 'one of our own' and Palace mad Puncheon celebrated delighfully in front of us after scoring a hattrick for our rivals?

One of our own my arse, Puncheon has been the biggest myth on here since KG. Fair play to him duping most of the fans in to thinking he gives a shit. It bought time in the team and even the captaincy.

Kelly, Puncheon, Hennessy, Lee, PvA all need to sold asap.How can you lump Lee in with that lot, he played pretty well till he was kicked of the field, literally.

Mad Raschic Ken
25-10-2017, 07:09 AM
Not a great deal to add to what has already been said. We were genuinely pretty good in the first half an hour. We were well on top and created plenty of chances. Then one howler led to a complete capitulation. Confidence is unbelievably fragile and, for a decent spell in the 2nd half, even the simplest of passes seemed beyond any of the players. I think the fans turning on the team had got to them at that point.

Van Aanholt was absolutely abysmal. Forget the mistake for the goal - he can't control or pass the ball. His sliced free kick into the crowd was a real gem. Kelly was awful all night and Hennessey was at least partially culpable for the last three goals. Puncheon was also very poor. No sign of leadership from our captain when the chips were down.

On the other hand a few players did ok. Sako was our brightest player, but Kaikai and Lee also played well. Loftus-Cheek was good until he drifted badly out of the game. I'm not sure whether that was fitness or whether he was part of the collective lack of backbone.

In the first half an hour I was thinking how enjoyable the whole experience was. A loud away support in a proper ground and some good attacking football. It ended up being a shocker, both on and off the pitch.

Braders
25-10-2017, 07:22 AM
How can you lump Lee in with that lot, he played pretty well till he was kicked of the field, literally.

He is never going to hold a first team place and rarely makes an impact off the bench, so what is the point of having him here?

bigend1
25-10-2017, 07:34 AM
Judging by the comments on here tonight after the Bristol City drubbing, it looks like FdB knew what he was talking about regarding the players. Many shouldn't be anywhere near a Premier League Team.

Well it was frank that signed ridewald, fosu and Ruben. Made punch captain and also picked wayne and lee to start in the Premiership. That's 6 Roy hasn't been starting that frank did who all started in tonight's drubbing.

Not that right about these players was he because they werent starting under Roy only frank. Genius

bigend1
25-10-2017, 07:43 AM
From the 3 minute highlights

Speroni 9 - didn't get injured

Ward 9 - didn't get injured

Dann 9 - didn't get injured

Sakho 9 - didn't get injured

Schlupp 9 - didn't get injured

McArthur 9 - didn't get injured

Luka - 9 didn't get injured

Cabaye - MOTM 10 - didn't get injured and avoided a red card again

Townsend 9 -didn't get injured

Ruben loftus-cheek 9.5 - actually played and didn't get injured

Zaha 9 - didn't get injured

Horrible result but superb job avoiding injury by our first 11 for Saturdays huge huge huge game

BillyTKid
25-10-2017, 07:51 AM
Watched the couple of mins highlights on Sky. Sako looked great in those clips with some excellent crosses into the box. Would be good to see him, Zaha and Townsend play on Saturday.

andyocpfc
25-10-2017, 07:59 AM
Iím afraid to say I could be to blame. I made the cardinal sin of texting my Dad and bro saying how well we were playing and deserving of the lead... literally from that moment on PVA made the error and it all went down hill from there. My fault chaps and I hold my hand up.

Jman
25-10-2017, 07:59 AM
I think PVA was throwing a strop as the only "1st team" player picked against "inferior" opposition.

I also think RLC isn't used to battling against the odds he has had it far too easy in the Chelsea youth teams and although a fantastic player seems mentally weak (along with most of the rest of our squad!)

bigend1
25-10-2017, 08:04 AM
Think one positive will be the pva won't start for us for a while. There is a good player in there but he literally makes howlers every game in both defence and attack and I swear they are basically down to concentration. He switches off again and again.

Hopefully Ruben will play with zaha in the middle on Saturday and try to get in the bloody box because we have no one in the middle and it's costing us.

Sako isn't a forward. Cover for wilf and Townsend but Ruben has more to offer in the middle

firesign
25-10-2017, 08:06 AM
Hennessey 4
Fosu-Mensah 5
Tomkins 5
Kelly 5
van Aaanholt 2
Puncheon 5
Riedewald 5
Lee 6
Loftus-Cheek 6
Kaikai 6
Sako 7
Subs 4
Roy 6

Stadium 8

Skintagain
25-10-2017, 08:10 AM
How can you lump Lee in with that lot, he played pretty well till he was kicked of the field, literally.

That's Lee's problem, he's not muscular enough, get rid.

Essexeagle
25-10-2017, 08:15 AM
Granted I only watched the Sky highlights, but I can't see where Wayne is to blame for any of those goals.

Our defence basically gifted them the first two. But the last two were fantastic shots, unexpectedly hit early.

jmemour
25-10-2017, 08:18 AM
Hennessey - 1
Didnít see him do a single good thing

TFM - 2 - Rubbish, gave up after their equaliser
Kelly - 2 - Terrible, got bullied by their striker
Tomkins - 3 - See Kelly, looks like he got fouled for their equaliser but couldnít win a header against their giant striker
PVA - 0 - Disgraceful performance

Riedewald - 3 - Thought he did ok first half and looked decent until they scored and he lost his head
Puncheon - 2 - Genuinely cannot remember him doing anything, didnít even lead

Lee - 5 - Had a cracking effort hit the bar and looked tidy in parts but went messing then got injured
RLC - 5 - Looked good in the first half, but doesnít want to get stuck in. Heís strong running with the ball and a nice assist, but he went missing second half
Kaikai - 2 - Sorry, I know itís harsh on an academy lad but he was rubbish. Seen people giving him 6s, donít know what game they were watching as he gave it away every time he got it and was constantly shrugged off the ball by city defenders. Not up to standard, not surprised he couldnít get a championship loan.

Sako - 7 - The only player that looked like he was playing for his place. Worked hard and scored a goal. The only one deserving of applause at the end.

Subs - 3 - Souare was awful but I can excuse him for that since he played 24hrs earlier and he came on to a dire situation. Ladapo is nowhere near good enough. Lumeka didnít have enough time on the pitch to make an impact, which was a shame as PVA shouldíve come off way earlier.

Eaglefoz
25-10-2017, 08:21 AM
Granted I only watched the Sky highlights, but I can't see where Wayne is to blame for any of those goals.

Our defence basically gifted them the first two. But the last two were fantastic shots, unexpectedly hit early.

I was right behind the goal and I agree with you. Other players were at fault last night, not Wayne. Then to have Palace fans calling for Speroni behind him must have done his confidence a world of good.
Speroni will rightly start on Saturday, however, if he gets injured then our fans only have themselves to blame for Wayne's lowered confidence and anything that results from it.

READING EAGLE
25-10-2017, 08:30 AM
No way was Wayne stopping any of those goals.
We hit post cross bar and their keeper saved a couple.difference is they scored 4 from their 5 shots we scored 1 from our 7!

minch1
25-10-2017, 08:31 AM
We seem to have lost the squad mentality. It seems like there's the first eleven and then the rest who are unhappy with not being picked so are not putting in 100% which is totally unacceptable. Having said that PVA has no excuse. Someone needs to take him on one side and read him the riot act.

Games need to be arranged for This second eleven so that they keep practicing until they play with some spirit. Last night was shameful.

ugly and fat
25-10-2017, 08:32 AM

so you dont think that when there is a long throw (that the club were aware of the tactic) with a keeper of his height that he shouldnt come for that long throw?
and the shot from the left back went STRAIGHT through his hands;judging by his reaction he knew he shouldve done better?

i will agree that the other 2 are DEFENSIVE HOWLERS that you cant legislate for!!!

Away
25-10-2017, 08:32 AM

Although we were already 2-1 down, it was when Lee went off that we seemed to lose all coherence. RLC dropped back so his distribution and strength disappeared from the attack, puncheon went wide and was less of a threat than CYL, Ladapo was much less disruptive up front than Sako. We at least needed a spell to resettle at that point and we didn't get it.

Mad Raschic Ken
25-10-2017, 08:35 AM
I was right behind the goal and I agree with you. Other players were at fault last night, not Wayne. Then to have Palace fans calling for Speroni behind him must have done his confidence a world of good.
Speroni will rightly start on Saturday, however, if he gets injured then our fans only have themselves to blame for Wayne's lowered confidence and anything that results from it.

For me he was at least partially responsible for the last three, although I haven't looked back at them on TV. The second was a long throw that I thought he could have come for. The third I thought he should have saved (albeit it was a great strike) and the fourth he half came for the ball (at which point Riedewald wouldn't have been expecting to have to clear it) and then backtracked leaving Riedewald to make a rushed clearance. Obviously he had no chance with the shot.

They had 5 shots on target and scored 4 goals. We had 9 and scored 1. Their keeper made some very good saves. Ours didn't.

That said, I didn't like the singing of Speroni's name. It's difficult to see a way back for Wayne after last night. His confidence must be shot to pieces.

minch1
25-10-2017, 08:36 AM

Unfortunately FdB is the one who created much of the mess we are now in. With his signings, Letting forwards leave and crazy selections and tactics which we have never really recovered from.

GreatGonzo
25-10-2017, 08:42 AM
Hennessey - 5 Not to blame, couldn't save us from teammates errors but he is obviously mentally shot, partly in thanks to Palace fans.

Fosu-Mensah - 4 Put in a acouple of tackles, but he is an U21 dutch international hoping to get in the Man U team, he stood off for the 3rd was not good enough last night

Kelly - 3 Bullied by their strikers, failed to deal with the ball into the box for the 2nd

Tomkins - 5 Marginally better than Kelly but couldn't lead the back line strongly enough

PVA - 9 (MotM) City's best player by a long way, deducted a point as he seemed to put the wrong shirt on

Reidewald - 4 Would have got a 5 but for the error for number 4. Was ok most of the game but for a player who played Europa League final in May disappointing.

Puncheon - 0 Nothing, no leadership, no creativity, his passing was poor, he is slow, ponderous and passes backwards. Shocking.

Loftus-Cheek - 4 and that includes the point for an assist. Should have been the best player on the pitch, but after the equaliser he was anonymous.

KaiKai - 3 A chance to show what he is capable of, against a Championship team to closer to his level, but still looks below Championship - should have been out on loan

Lee - 6 One of the few players trying and we looked even worse once he was kicked out of the game

Sako - 7 Lots of effort, running and an extra point for the goal, put some decent balls into the box but for long periods of the game was the only Palace player trying.

Subs - 1 Not good enough

Ref - 1 Truly shocking - 18 fouls to 7 apparently, everything given to them and nothing to us. Roy was right not to risk first teamers in that kind of game.

GreatGonzo
25-10-2017, 08:45 AM
so you dont think that when there is a long throw (that the club were aware of the tactic) with a keeper of his height that he shouldnt come for that long throw?
and the shot from the left back went STRAIGHT through his hands;judging by his reaction he knew he shouldve done better?

i will agree that the other 2 are DEFENSIVE HOWLERS that you cant legislate for!!!

The player who they were aiming for was not starting so no they may not have been setting up for that tactic in the first half. And no i do not think a keeper should be trying to come through bodies to challenge a 6'7 striker if he is not 100% sure he is going to get there.

Essexeagle
25-10-2017, 08:49 AM

Watching the lowlights from Sky, the ball dropped about 12 yards from goal and into a crowd of six players, so I wouldn't expect my keeper to come for that. What happened was basically three Palace defenders went for the same ball, collectively managed to not win it - running into each other in the process, and left a player un-marked.

The shot from the left back went over his fingertips. You could argue he didn't get full extension quick enough, but that would be a bit harsh considering the shot came from nowhere.

I will state. I don't think WH should be our number one, and I'll be glad that Speroni will be in goal on Saturday (even though he isn't good enough either, he seems to give the defence more confidence), but I was expecting some howlers from Hennessey judging by the abuse he's getting on here. You might argue he could do better but you couldn't blame him for any of those goals.

JackTheBiscuit
25-10-2017, 08:53 AM
Unfortunately FdB is the one who created much of the mess we are now in. With his signings, Letting forwards leave and crazy selections and tactics which we have never really recovered from.

Thanks Steve.

Lombardo's hair
25-10-2017, 08:56 AM

WTF.....he had 3 players come in. RLC YGM and JR. All fairly decent players. The forwards you hint at was who? FC had left before he became manager. What other striker did we have? I for one think FEB should still be manager. I am sick of people blaming him for everything. This squad has be inconsistent for almost 3 years.injury prone weak wingers. FEB identified the weaklinks the players cried to SP. FDB gets sacked. Shambles

GreatGonzo
25-10-2017, 08:57 AM
I will state. I don't think WH should be our number one, and I'll be glad that Speroni will be in goal on Saturday (even though he isn't good enough either, he seems to give the defence more confidence), but I was expecting some howlers from Hennessey judging by the abuse he's getting on here. You might argue he could do better but you couldn't blame him for any of those goals.

The only question is which of the 2 'not good enough' keepers do you put in. Hennessey has absolutely no confidence and I really felt sorry for him last night as he was getting dogs abuse, from his own fans, having Jules name sung who wasn't even on the bench.

Hennessey is bad, unfortunately many of our 'fans' are worse.

H.Bomb
25-10-2017, 08:58 AM
For 35 minutes we were playing well and looked comfortable. A ridiculous mistake made it 1-1 and another made it 2-1. Second half we looked disorganised and played like strangers.

GreatGonzo
25-10-2017, 09:00 AM
WTF.....he had 3 players come in. RLC YGM and JR. All fairly decent players. The forwards you hint at was who? FC had left before he became manager. What other striker did we have? I for one think FEB should still be manager. I am sick of people blaming him for everything. This squad has be inconsistent for almost 3 years.injury prone weak wingers. FEB identified the weaklinks the players cried to SP. FDB gets sacked. Shambles

In England the manager is responsible for bringing in the players he wants. He came into a structure where there was no Director of Football at the time so it is a key part of what he needed to do.

Not only did he not do that but there are various reports that when players were being suggested to him he was constantly knocking back the suggestions.

FdB was the single most significant factor why we currently only have 1 striker (who got injured) and no PL quality keeper in our squad.

sherstonpalace
25-10-2017, 09:02 AM
It was notable that when the tide turned after the PVA brain-freeze, we had no Plan B.

Other premier league teams resting key players last night had them on the bench. Man Utd's subs included Lukaku, Mata and Matic; Leicester had Mahrez and Vardy on the bench; and Man City brought on De Bruyne, Sane, Stones and Walker.

We had nothing in reserve. Hopeless.

jmemour
25-10-2017, 09:09 AM
It was notable that when the tide turned after the PVA brain-freeze, we had no Plan B.

Other premier league teams resting key players last night had them on the bench. Man Utd's subs included Lukaku, Mata and Matic; Leicester had Mahrez and Vardy on the bench; and Man City brought on De Bruyne, Sane, Stones and Walker.

We had nothing in reserve. Hopeless.

I would imagine/hope the reason for this is that the first team players now don't need a recovery day today and can be in training for the W Ham game.

JackTheBiscuit
25-10-2017, 09:11 AM
I

Not only did he not do that but there are various reports that when players were being suggested to him he was constantly knocking back the suggestions.

"reports" - you mean Parish and his little media gang.

Nigelbrag
25-10-2017, 09:17 AM
You can't help but ask just how poor are we and the depths we have now reached?
This humiliation was against a team from a lower division that had been thrashed at home in their previous match 0-3, also with Palace having taken the lead should have given the team just the boost that was needed. To then be toyed with and eventually be humiliated 4-1 is unforgivable.
It was a game that offered Palace a genuine opportunity of a win, but also the chance to progress into the last 8 in the competition which would have been a huge boost to ALL inc fans, also to regain some momentum for the league games ahead into trying to save our already depressing season to date. We badly needed that win.
So what has gone wrong to cause this total lack of belief? had we not just beaten the Champions with an excellent TEAM performance, followed by a loss which we could have counted ourselves rather unlucky, then THIS result which beggars belief.
The team that caved in was made up of many experienced players including several Internationals, so that result could not be blamed on having a team of Youngsters thrown into the affray, making this result very hard to swallow.
So what happens next? it is easy to dismiss this as just a Cup game which was just a distraction to our true aim of league safety, that to me is a fob off excuse to hide behind for the real problems that exist, and is unacceptable.
WE have 10 league games coming up that we need to totally focus on before the end of the year and winning a minimum of FOUR is a Must for any chance of safety, is that a possibility in our current form? we can only hazard a guess.
One thing for sure in my opinion, Everyone at the club including Steve Parish, Hodgson, Coaches and Players need to get together asap to discuss this decline and how it WILL be rectified, or without doubt relegation is a certainty waiting to happen.
What a sorry state of affairs.

exiledeagle
25-10-2017, 09:17 AM
The team looks weak physically and mentally ( as does the first eleven )

Hennessey 5 Nothing to do but was not at fault for any of the goals .
Fosu Mensah 4 Tried but looks raw ( lack of experience showed )
Kelly 3 Woeful , bullied , slow in thought , wasteful hoofs .
Tomkins 4 As above but does have more ability - not last night though
PVA 3 Do not like abuse he gets but he was very poor last night
RLC 4 Started well then disappeared - makes little effort to track back
Riedewald 4 Nice easy passes when no pressure but not ready for first team
Lee 5 Neat and tidy but too weak
Puncheon 3 Thought he would be up for it last night - he wasn't
KaiKai 4 Tried but poor
Sako 6 Best player last night but isn't a striker

My concern is that we get outmuscled and over run ( not just last night ) We are too easy to play against . I know its too late now , but why oh why didn't we buy a keeper and striker .

Ifill Over
25-10-2017, 09:26 AM

Spot on. FDB was not supported by the board in the transfer market. However, I enjoy Roy's honesty and is more media savy.

Martin H
25-10-2017, 09:26 AM
Not at game and missed the odd minute here and there due to technical glitches that included the gap between Lee catching Bryan in the goolies and I assume the retribution he received because he was limping badly. Who did it? Bryan or the other one that powered in?

First half an hour we looked like a (slightly 'rusty') Premier team playing lower level opposition. Playing some tidy football with good possession and pushing them back and winning the ball at will. Not as fluid because most not played recently but regularly creating chances. This was largely due to Sako and Ruben who were combining well and their power/running caused them problems. Even when PVA melted down with his dumb double error that gifted them the equaliser, I thought we would just overcome that and I wasn't panicking even with the second, expecting Roy to get them back in track at HT. plenty of time to win the game. But instead half the team came out having apparently given up and the rest were flat. Only Sako sustained any enthusiasm for the 90 mins and as he tired and ran out of people that could be a**** our chance disappeared and by the final 20-25 mins roles had reversed. I don't know what Roy said at HT but they came out flatter than a flat thing. So either he flattened them or more likely couldn't lift them. Why PVA continued, I really don't know. Hodgson's post match with CG was pretty scathing which was probably fair but I felt a little for Sako who I thought did ask questions of him. He made a side comment re big money transfers not impressing (not a quote) but I thought that the worst by far was PVA who he has been picking every week. I should add that I have only seen the goals once and so care.

Hennessey - 5 - little chance with any of the shots other than the 3rd that he should surely have got a hand to but was caught out (like most I guess) expecting a cross. Maybe the 4th? The last 2 were screamers. But occasionally you just hope for a save that you didn't expect a keeper to save. Hennessey doesn't do these. The goals weren't his fault as such but FFS.

Timbo - 5.5 - solid at best and I was disappointed we didn't see more from him coming forward. I guessed that perhaps PVA was encouraged to go forward while TFM was to stay back because the former was constantly high and latter very deep. Shame really because he has the energy and pace to get up and down and we saw little of that.

Kelly - 4.5 - just seemed all over the place again. Difficult to believe this is the same guy that partnered Sakho so well last year. Outjumped, outmuscled and often out of position. Shame.

Tomkins - 5.5 - steady for spells but was often jumping way too early and passing was awful at times. Should have been shining bright as an option to pressure Dann but not sure we saw that.

PVA - 4 - awful night for him. Poor defensively and ineffectual going forward. Gifted them the first goal and got even worse after that. My score may be OTT TBH.

Lee - 5.5 - awesome rattling of the bar with an early volley some intelligent play but too often brushed aside. Can't see this changing his chances of playing.

Puncheon - 5 - started OK and alongside Jairo was winning and recirculating the ball. Thought he looked very down before the KO which is very unusual and by the second half he looked beaten, struggled and ended up out on the right wing where he was TBH worse . Really can't remember seeing him so deflated.

Jairo - 5.5 - I thought he had an excellent first half. Composed, good movement, moved the ball quickly and to a 'man in black'. Intelligent passing and often threading it through to the front 2 rather than just the shuffle out wide. Far quieter in the second half with the rest. In patches he showed but one was the miskick error that allowed O'Dowd to crash the 4th into the corner. Doh! So strong first half, mostly MEH second.

Kaikai - 5 - the odd glimmer but I don't think he took his chance. I don't think he will, get another and I was desperate that he would really put in a shift and show us what he has got.

Ruben - 5.5 - a very good first 30 mins but downhill after that. He has everything he needs to be a class and influential player at the highest level but has to get himself fully fit and can't collapse mentally. Even when dropped back into midfield he failed to lift himself and left Jairo an awful lot to do.

Sako - 7 - easily our best player and he never gave up. Took his goal well and set up several good chances. Made good runs albeit caught offside as they wised up. Short of puff at the end but TBH lasted well with very little support after the first 30 mins. The only one to ask questions of Roy viz a viz selection for Saturday. He won't replace Andros or Wilf but he could nick a spot up front allowing Roy to shuffle and leave out PVA. Unlikely still but I would be amazed if he doesn't get good mins this weekend.

Souare looked uncomfortable and possibly not recovered from this week's U23s. Not there yet. Gutted for him with the shirt incident but respect for his twitter response.

Lumeka, very little opportunity.

Ladapo - ran around hard but no real impact.

Roy - 5 - I understand why Roy has set out the 'shape' and persists with it to make it second nature to the whole squad but he has to be able to adjust this for specific matches and during matches where we are behind or it's not working. He shuffled the players within it but not the shape. He does need to be able to get the squad battling for the shirt. I think his post match was fair and accurate for the fans. I am not sure it will help his cause with these particular players. Hopefully he is a better judge than I.

Watching it, you could feel the game noticeably turn and the outcome of the second half just seemed inevitable somehow. Just more and more depressing to watch. The capitulation is the most worrying issue here. We will have little chance of survival if we can't cope with conceding goals. This wasn't the first team but 2/3rds would expect to be in the matchday squad. Oh dear....

Sceagle
25-10-2017, 09:34 AM
We made them look like a boys team for 15 minutes or so and then, **** me

Owngoal
25-10-2017, 09:39 AM
The team looks weak physically and mentally ( as does the first eleven )

Hennessey 5 Nothing to do but was not at fault for any of the goals .
Fosu Mensah 4 Tried but looks raw ( lack of experience showed )
Kelly 3 Woeful , bullied , slow in thought , wasteful hoofs .
Tomkins 4 As above but does have more ability - not last night though
PVA 3 Do not like abuse he gets but he was very poor last night
RLC 4 Started well then disappeared - makes little effort to track back
Riedewald 4 Nice easy passes when no pressure but not ready for first team
Lee 5 Neat and tidy but too weak
Puncheon 3 Thought he would be up for it last night - he wasn't
KaiKai 4 Tried but poor
Sako 6 Best player last night but isn't a striker

My concern is that we get outmuscled and over run ( not just last night ) We are too easy to play against . I know its too late now , but why oh why didn't we buy a keeper and striker .

Have not seen any 'highlights' but sounds about right. SP was too focused on getting Sakho to put the effort into keepers and forwards and boy are we paying for it. He went for the Turkish striker and as a result of bargaining we will have to pay a lot more for him now. Hennessy must want to get away from here now after yet again our fans blamed everything on him rather than the main culprit. Let's hope our first choice defence can protect Jules adequately and not make suicidal mistakes from now on. Roy should have picked a team that had a chance of winning as it is a habit, just like being humiliated is. Hopefully he has a better idea about the gutless players like PVA and captain fantastic. If you can't put on a performance to try and get back into the team? Disappointing that Jairo did not do better and TFM. Hopefully we repay the poor sods who went last night with a performance against W Ham who sound as disorganised as us.

WorthingEagle
25-10-2017, 09:43 AM
But occasionally you just hope for a save that you didn't expect a keeper to save. Hennessey doesn't do these. The goals weren't his fault as such but FFS.

This is the key point - a Premier League goalkeeper shouldn't just be judged on whether he makes howlers that result in goals, he should also be judged on how many outstanding saves he makes to prevent what would be certain goals at a lower level.

As almost everyone else in the league has a Goalkeeper who is capable of the extraordinary on a semi-regular basis, we're at a 5-10 point disadvantage before a ball is kicked.

Martin H
25-10-2017, 09:47 AM
Watching the lowlights from Sky, the ball dropped about 12 yards from goal and into a crowd of six players, so I wouldn't expect my keeper to come for that. What happened was basically three Palace defenders went for the same ball, collectively managed to not win it - running into each other in the process, and left a player un-marked.

The shot from the left back went over his fingertips. You could argue he didn't get full extension quick enough, but that would be a bit harsh considering the shot came from nowhere.

I hadn't realised Sky had these so thx. Just watched them and other than a super save moment I don't think he had much chance with 3 of them. I still think he should do better with the Bryan one but he hit it incredibly well and no one thought he would shoot. the goal centred on that more than a mistake. The others, would need something exceptional from him. He isn't that keeper and so they go in. I think most keepers would have conceded the rest. So none of this enhances his reputation but those blaming him for all 4 are stretching it a long way.

On the 2nd we had 3 around the big guy and 2 backed off (Punch and worse RLC) after the initial jump leaving Kelly floundering and outmuscled.

Gazpacho
25-10-2017, 09:56 AM
Make no mistake, for all Palace supporters this was a miserable night.

Our expensively assembled collection of overpaid individuals were put to shame by a Championship team that showed grit, determination and backbone. All things we lacked in bucket loads.

Bristol City looked so comfortable they could have played in their slippers and this game was over and gone well before the final whistle.

And Bristol City weren’t even that good.

If Roy was looking for this shower to give him a selection headache, ahead of Saturday’s game against West Ham and beyond, then he need not have worried. He will have learnt that he cannot rely on this lot to do any more than warm the subs bench and take up room in the car park.

From the angle of a supporter who has seen Palace over a period of 50 years I can honestly say that this lot looked like they couldn’t give a flying ***k. They looked like they couldn’t wait to get back to preening with their mirrors, posing with their expensive Rollers, and living in a fantasy world with their Fifa computer games.

The football I witnessed from Palace in the second half was so sterile, negative, full of mistakes and devoid of ideas that the opposition could have opened up the brandy, fired up the cigars and been forgiven for thinking that they were playing an Under 11’s side.

No one took responsibility, showed passion, or looked like they’d give everything and anything not to lose. They didn’t even look like they get on with each other off the pitch.

And they are clearly all far too comfortable, pampered and bubble wrapped to give a damn about the day job or wear the shirt with pride. There is a clear disconnect between what those players felt they needed to do to pick up their pay packets and what the supporters expect which is to at least give a damn, be brave and, if you are going to go down, to go down fighting.

Make no mistake, not recruiting a top class keeper in the summer or at least one decent striker is going to cost us but our longer term policy of taking players on without making sure they have the character and spirit to give everything for the club is going to be the biggest hole in the bottom of a boat that is sinking fast.

I don’t envy your task polishing this one up, Roy, but if you do, you will certainly have earnt your money.

Martin H
25-10-2017, 10:07 AM
This is the key point - a Premier League goalkeeper shouldn't just be judged on whether he makes howlers that result in goals, he should also be judged on how many outstanding saves he makes to prevent what would be certain goals at a lower level.

As almost everyone else in the league has a Goalkeeper who is capable of the extraordinary on a semi-regular basis, we're at a 5-10 point disadvantage before a ball is kicked.

If we are talking about assessing the keeper long term then obviously I agree but on here at least this just translates into many blaming him for every goal last night which is just silly. His biggest issue is still that he is the polar opposite to Jules. The abuse has spread to the ground now and I can't see him staying. This will bring cheers from all sides but having been looking for ages at UK based keepers I don't think there are many options (that would come and are better) and so we need to risk looking abroad again (shades of Mandanda). It's easy to say 'anyone' would be better, but I don't think that's true. Speroni can't be a serious option past January but will start on Saturday I am sure. That should be interesting if their resident giant is playing :(

AJ
25-10-2017, 10:14 AM
One thing that BC deserve credit for is shooting. The last 2 goals were opportunist shots on target from outside the box. When is the last time we have had a meaningful shot with power from a similar position.

Martin H
25-10-2017, 10:18 AM
One thing that BC deserve credit for is shooting. The last 2 goals were opportunist shots on target from outside the box. When is the last time we have had a meaningful shot with power from a similar position.

The last one was pretty much perfect. Only Lee matched the power in their last 2 goals.

DE - Glad All Over
25-10-2017, 10:20 AM
BC deserved it; sure they pushed and shoved and got decisions, but so what itís their job to do that and frankly we did not want to man up- agree a lot with above posts, looked like we did not care.

Owngoal
25-10-2017, 10:37 AM

Don't worry we have Jules now

Nigelbrag
25-10-2017, 10:38 AM
In England the manager is responsible for bringing in the players he wants. He came into a structure where there was no Director of Football at the time so it is a key part of what he needed to do.

FdB was the single most significant factor why we currently only have 1 striker (who got injured) and no PL quality keeper in our squad.

Such nonsense, on the one hand you suggest it is the Manager who is responsible for player recruitment (rightly so) then suggest by not having a DOF played a big part in our failings.
How many teams in England have DOF? does not having scouts and the then approval of the manager after having seen the recommended player not suffice, and business then concluded by Phil Alexander or Steve Parish, is that not how it could/should be done.
You then suggest he constantly kept knocking back any suggested recommendations, based on what? reports put out by who? do you honestly believe that he would have rejected the signing of a much needed Striker And a Keeper provided they slotted into his system? could it have been they were Not His choice of players that were thrust on him, afterall he would then be judged by somebody else choice of players, that is Not what it should be especially for a manager recently appointed.
Players he wanted to sign to fit into his intended new system along with budgets would surely have been discussed when interviewed for the managerial position and approved i would have thought, so Steve Parish would have been fully aware of what to expect.
As none of us are aware of the true facts behind FdB sacking it will always be based on hearsay, but the decision to sack a manager after FOUR games and for him to then be judged on that is hideous. Are we now saying that it is right to judge RH on the same basis? I feel SP realised that he had made an error in judgement and took the option to sack to save face i don't have a problem with that, but then he should be holding his hands up to admit he also has played a big role into the mess this club is in currently, and not as you suggested FdB being solely responsible, is simply passing the buck.
The signing of Sakho was made on the decision by SP basically to pacify the fans imo, and also he would have known that FDB would be fired so why not take that same decision himself in signing the much needed Striker and Keeper before the window shut, and with His choice of DoF on board to support His decisions into making those signings, having done so we may now have been in a less perilous position as we are in now.

Lombardo's hair
25-10-2017, 11:08 AM
The question that has surely been answered is: Have our managers been inept or are too many of our players in a comfort zone? I think we know the answer

H.Bomb
25-10-2017, 11:16 AM
You can't help but ask just how poor are we and the depths we have now reached?

This humiliation was against a team from a lower division that had been thrashed at home in their previous match 0-3, also with Palace having taken the lead should have given the team just the boost that was needed. To then be toyed with and eventually be humiliated 4-1 is unforgivable.

It was a game that offered Palace a genuine opportunity of a win, but also the chance to progress into the last 8 in the competition which would have been a huge boost to ALL inc fans, also to regain some momentum for the league games ahead into trying to save our already depressing season to date. We badly needed that win.

So what has gone wrong to cause this total lack of belief? had we not just beaten the Champions with an excellent TEAM performance, followed by a loss which we could have counted ourselves rather unlucky, then THIS result which beggars belief.

The team that caved in was made up of many experienced players including several Internationals, so that result could not be blamed on having a team of Youngsters thrown into the affray, making this result very hard to swallow.

So what happens next? it is easy to dismiss this as just a Cup game which was just a distraction to our true aim of league safety, that to me is a fob off excuse to hide behind for the real problems that exist, and is unacceptable.

WE have 10 league games coming up that we need to totally focus on before the end of the year and winning a minimum of FOUR is a Must for any chance of safety, is that a possibility in our current form? we can only hazard a guess.

One thing for sure in my opinion, Everyone at the club including Steve Parish, Hodgson, Coaches and Players need to get together asap to discuss this decline and how it WILL be rectified, or without doubt relegation is a certainty waiting to happen.

What a sorry state of affairs.

Fantastic assessment

EagleSE24
25-10-2017, 11:21 AM
They didnít even look like they get on with each other off the pitch.

I think this is an under-recognized factor in our ongoing slump. First couple of seasons the players looked they were fighting for one another. They also seemed to be friends. Now we seem like a team of individuals.

Seanee Pawnee
25-10-2017, 11:22 AM
Terrible journey there and back.

I got on the wrong sodding park and ride bus and ended up 9 miles away and only just made it back to car park before it closed - so that evening cost me an extra £25 taxi fare!

Penstone Eagle
25-10-2017, 11:55 AM
Anyone that scores RLC higher than anyone else apart from that spineless prick PVA, simply didn't see the game.

Disinterested and lazy.

Spindle
25-10-2017, 12:04 PM
BC deserved it; sure they pushed and shoved and got decisions, but so what itís their job to do that and frankly we did not want to man up- agree a lot with above posts, looked like we did not care.

They definitely didn't deserve to be 2 1 up after the first half. 0 2 would've been reasonable, we battered them and controlled the game aside one calamity head back from PVA, which shouldn't have happened because the giant Bosnian just fouled to win the ball, and a throw in mess where it was practically pushed in by rugby maul. BC created nothing at all.

Second half they must've all had a joint before going out to play. Pathetic.

Enjoyed the "We lose every week / you're nothing special" song :D

Spindle
25-10-2017, 12:07 PM
Hi Eagles,

All the best chaps!
CU.

As fair an assessment as any.

Spindle
25-10-2017, 12:09 PM

Yet these players were the ones he picked from the whole squad.

Spindle
25-10-2017, 12:11 PM

He did but for some crappy inaccurate passing

OriginalNutter
25-10-2017, 12:23 PM

And anytime we did have a tame shot Bristol City's keeper fumbled it every time.
He was their week link and we didn't do anything to try and exploit it.

Glaws Eagle
25-10-2017, 12:25 PM
Seems like yesterday ...

1988/1989
English League Cup
Tu 01Nov 1988

Bristol C 4 - 1 C Palace

glaziers fan
25-10-2017, 12:27 PM
Roy - 5 - I understand why Roy has set out the 'shape' and persists with it to make it second nature to the whole squad but he has to be able to adjust this for specific matches and during matches where we are behind or it's not working. He shuffled the players within it but not the shape. He does need to be able to get the squad battling for the shirt. I think his post match was fair and accurate for the fans. I am not sure it will help his cause with these particular players. Hopefully he is a better judge than I.

Watching it, you could feel the game noticeably turn and the outcome of the second half just seemed inevitable somehow. Just more and more depressing to watch. The capitulation is the most worrying issue here. We will have little chance of survival if we can't cope with conceding goals. This wasn't the first team but 2/3rds would expect to be in the matchday squad. Oh dear....

Excellent match review, and ratings I completely agree with. A couple of points though:

I think Roy Hodgson is right to persist with 4-4-2. It's his formation, the players are comfortable in it, and need to know their jobs. Later on it'd be nice if he could be a bit more flexible, but for now it is absolutely the right thing to happen.

The capitulation can be put down to the lack of leadership and fighting spirit in the XI. Luckily it is very different to our first XI:

Of team last night, who is a leader and/or can show fighting spirit?

WH: no

PVA: no
JT: no
MK: no
TFM: no

SKK: no
JR: no
JP: yes (but didn't see it last night)
CYL: no

BS: no
RLC: no

Of team vs Newcastle, who is a leader and/or can show fighting spirit?

Speroni: yes

PVA: no
Sakho: yes
Dann: yes
Ward: yes

Schlupp: no
Luka: yes
Cabaye: yes
McArthur: yes

Zaha: yes
Townsend: yes

That's also why we shouldn't look too much into the performance last night. Whilst it was sad to see so many heads dropping, they were mostly very inexperienced players. You'd see a different performance from a lot of them if it was alongside experienced pros with necessary leadership qualities and fighting spirit. Arguably that was a mistake from Hodgson, but I for one am delighted that minus PVA the XI on Saturday are all fit to play, and have had a week's rest.

Jim Cannon
25-10-2017, 12:29 PM
Iím not sure that PVA doesnít give a shit - he just is shit and there are no signs that heís going to get any better.

He is 27 should be approaching his peak - we better make sure he is long gone by the time he gets older

Mr Palace
25-10-2017, 12:45 PM
Awful, horrific performance from a bunch of players who clearly don't care. These players are incredibly well paid yet they swan around the pitch and don't compete against what was close to being Bristol City's reserve team. Most of them should be ashamed.

The good:

- Sako was probably the only bright spark. I thought he looked so much better and he looks fitter, more powerful. He took his goal well and was one of the only players willing to shoot. More of this please Sako.

- I don't rate Lee but I thought he was effective and it was a shame to see him injured. Fantastic shot that hit the bar.

The bad:

- Kelly - showed again that he isn't good enough. He's too weak to play CB and routinely got bullied off the ball.

- TFM - at least he seemed to try but he looked poor and was awful in possession. This was so obviously a waste of a premier league loan. No criticism intended of him but we could have used that loan spot for a striker.

- Puncheon - his influence is almost vanishing. Sad to see one of my favourite players in recent years performing at this low level.

- Hennessey - I don't think he was horrific but he again just doesn't produce saves. The third goal is a good example - he didn't get near it as he's so flat footed. He's such a poor keeper and how we didn't sign a ne keeper after Mandanda left will remain a mystery.

- Riedewald - I think there is a good player in there and he's technically good but this good stuff is undone by how weak he is physically and mentally. He seemed to give up and his clearance for the final goal was so poor. We should have spent that £8-10m on a striker - another indictment of de Boer.

The downright ugly:

- PvA - I just can't believe his defending for the first goal and his defending and attitude more generally. He's a parasite and should be sold if we can find a mug willing to buy him. Not sure I've ever disliked a player as much as him.

It's getting harder and harder to endure this at the moment but we have to rally behind the first team on Saturday and do all we can to help them get a vital win. I think we can beat a poor West Ham but if we don't then I can't see us making up the ground. Things are very precarious.

jhc
25-10-2017, 12:50 PM
One of the most depressing threads Iíve read in a long while:frown:

smoll
25-10-2017, 01:25 PM
We beat Chelsea 10 days ago. Calm down everyone

Martin H
25-10-2017, 03:05 PM
Excellent match review, and ratings I completely agree with. A couple of points though:

I think Roy Hodgson is right to persist with 4-4-2. It's his formation, the players are comfortable in it, and need to know their jobs. Later on it'd be nice if he could be a bit more flexible, but for now it is absolutely the right thing to happen.

I agree with sticking to a game plan generally - my concern was more that the game plan currently looks very much like one plan with one gear. i.e. there is no second or alternate gear when we play weaker opposition or need to chase a goal.

In part this is forced in Hodgson's mind perhaps by no striker but yesterday our response was simply shuffling players around within the same shape.

TBH who would want this job right now.

Chunt
25-10-2017, 03:17 PM
We beat Chelsea 10 days ago. Calm down everyone

Yes, and nothing bad has happened before or after that day.

:S:

Anyone who doesn't realise the gravity of the situation we are in has their head firmly in the sand.

GreatGonzo
25-10-2017, 03:42 PM
It ok people, calm down, it wasn't the players fault, it wasn't the managements fault, it was the ball.

The ball was rubbish, it was an unacceptable ball to use, it is used week in week out at FL level so they are used to it but our significantly better players are used to using a significantly better ball. That is the reason we did not score a hatful and that is the reason we lost.

(c) Pep Guardiola

pauldrulez
25-10-2017, 03:44 PM
3 thoughts:

1. We were by far the better team until van Aanholt made a massive balls-up yet again.

2. Kaikai will never be a PL footballer, along with a minimum of 5 or 6 others that were in the 18. I now see why other managers haven't given him a chance.

3. Loftus-Cheek looks good when you're drawing or winning. He disappears when you're losing and has no will to fight. Along with 6-7 other players, the spineless tossers.

IanH
25-10-2017, 03:49 PM
I didnít go to the game but, from what people have been saying, we started off well and then faded badly the longer the game went on. I was just wondering whether match fitness could have been a factor if a lot of these guys havenít played a Premier League game for ages?

andyocpfc
25-10-2017, 03:51 PM
WTF was PVA even thinking. Yet another (to go with all the others this season) risk that didnít need to be taken. If he was unsure of what to do then why donít you just head or kick it out. How many times this season have we played the risky ball and been punished. I love Sakho and heís far from being one to blame on this season but itís a matter of time before one of his tricks falls flat on his face and hands the opponent a goal. If youíre gonna do that shit, be 3-0 up first, not at 0-0 or a slim lead FFS

STOP BEING SO FóKING COCKY AND DEAL WITH THE BALL IN A PROFESSIONAL MANNER PALACE PLAYERS.

GreatGonzo
25-10-2017, 03:54 PM
I didnít go to the game but, from what people have been saying, we started off well and then faded badly the longer the game went on. I was just wondering whether match fitness could have been a factor if a lot of these guys havenít played a Premier League game for ages?

We didn't fade as the game went on.

When the Equaliser and especially the second went in we deflated. It wasn't fitness, it was character and THAT is what is so disappointing. If you say they gave absolutely everything but they just didn't have enough it would not be as bad.

Spindle
25-10-2017, 04:41 PM
We seem to have lost the squad mentality. It seems like there's the first eleven and then the rest who are unhappy with not being picked so are not putting in 100% which is totally unacceptable. Having said that PVA has no excuse. Someone needs to take him on one side and read him the riot act.

Games need to be arranged for This second eleven so that they keep practicing until they play with some spirit. Last night was shameful.

The old man called Damo over while he was warming up and spoke to him. Told him to go and tell those players on the pitch afterwards that they had really let down the fans. Palace gave good support until the third. After the 4th Hennessey was copping abuse from fans directly. He could hear it for sure.

Lee sinnots ear
25-10-2017, 04:45 PM

Puncheon didn't join until late 2013 so what are you talking about?

Ignore that now realise he was playing for Scumwall !!!!

Spindle
25-10-2017, 04:46 PM

Hi Ronald.

Dobbo
25-10-2017, 04:46 PM
Looks like the club are not bothering to put the lowlights on Palace TV.
Lucky for PVA.

Benzhiyi
25-10-2017, 04:48 PM

It was the day he scored a hat-trick against us for Millwall.

jimmy the gent
25-10-2017, 04:50 PM

He played for Millwall that day, and scored a hat trick.

Spindle
25-10-2017, 04:55 PM
PVA was shit but it's all a bit harsh here. He didn't give up any more than anyone else.

TouchyAndalou
25-10-2017, 05:12 PM

One of our own my arse, Puncheon has been the biggest myth on here since KG. Fair play to him duping most of the fans in to thinking he gives a shit. It bought time in the team and even the captaincy. Yeah, the worst thing about Puncheon is all those goals he scored that literally kept us in the league our first season up. Or other crucially important goals he's scored, like against Tottenham to kick-start our revival under Pardew, or against Hull when we were sinking towards relegation and hadn't won in about 10+ games. Or against Man U in the cup final, which could (should) have won us the game.

Spindle
25-10-2017, 05:17 PM
Are we getting our money back? Other clubs would've done a refund for being so shit.

IanH
25-10-2017, 05:24 PM
Are we getting our money back? Other clubs would've done a refund for being so shit.

With the way we are playing in the league, I suspect that Parish wonít want to set a dangerous precedent! [emoji23]

TouchyAndalou
25-10-2017, 05:24 PM
We made them look like a boys team for 15 minutes or so and then, **** me The problem is, then they made us look like a girls team!

That was offensive to girls, I apologise.

Stroud Eagle
25-10-2017, 05:38 PM

Spindle
25-10-2017, 08:36 PM
Just watched Roy's interview. He's passionately annoyed and said a lot of good things. It's a public bollocking for those who played.

Absolutely the right response.

cantspell
25-10-2017, 10:15 PM
Just watched Roy's interview. He's passionately annoyed and said a lot of good things. It's a public bollocking for those who played.

Absolutely the right response.

Did the same and spot on

Al From Bromley
26-10-2017, 08:18 AM
Hi Eagles,

All the best chaps!
CU.

Now there's a thing!

jhc
26-10-2017, 11:03 AM
The worst part, looking back on those 'highlights', is that every goal was avoidable and the result of individual or collective errors. Horrible to watch, but I suspect Roy would have put the players through a re-run which would have been even harder to watch for those involved.

sydnsteve
26-10-2017, 11:23 AM
The biggest trouble is who the **** do we play at LB? Allardyce probably left because he realised what a pile of shit he had bought in PVA and Schlupp, and Reidewaald looks completely out of his depth. At least Joel is now playing to form, but he may have to be moved to LB, and try TFM at RB. Our total absence of any sort of co-ordinated transfer policy is coming home to roost big time.
I am off to support the Seagulls before they shit on us.

Martin H
26-10-2017, 11:49 AM
The worst part, looking back on those 'highlights', is that every goal was avoidable and the result of individual or collective errors. Horrible to watch, but I suspect Roy would have put the players through a re-run which would have been even harder to watch for those involved.

But it sums up the whole season. Almost by definition, every goal comes from some sort of error but we seem to have reinvented the term 'blooper' and taken it to a whole new level. Our mistakes aren't things we could have done better they seem to be suicidal.

PVA broke new ground by introducing the double blooper on Tuesday night. First with his left and then with his head as he presented it on a plate to Taylor. So Palace continue to lead the way. Lee's effort at Burnley should have been recorded as an 'assist blooper or maybe a 'which team am I - blooper'. Kelly has unfortunately perfected the Doh blooper this season and there are unfortunately many more. Wayne has a range of them although he has never quite achieved the heights of the Villa one since. We have a team blooper called 'lets not jump at corners' that regularly features. A bit like synchronised swimming without the noseclips, water or synchronisation.

Alfonso
26-10-2017, 09:51 PM
My view of the game, well horror show, here: https://youtu.be/zdTVs3xbWIM