PDA

View Full Version : We're taken advantage of as fans

ForzaPalace
25-10-2017, 07:57 AM
Seems like every season there is some kind of shambles with our club on or off the pitch, but the club knows that despite any mess we may end up in, us fans will always fill Selhurst, pay for season tickets and follow the team up and down the country.

The club takes advantage of this by getting the players to mention our support at any opportunity and using us as a means of papering over the cracks in the mess we continue to support.

Personally I didn't go last night and I'm very glad I didn't, but at a minimum I think the fans that did go should be refunded or possibly have their tickets paid for for the FA Cup 3rd round.

In the long term however, when is enough, enough? It's great we stick together whenever we're in the shit but at what point do we stop showing support and make it clear that things need to change?

eaglejez
25-10-2017, 08:00 AM
back to the hard core next season

whereEaglesFly
25-10-2017, 08:03 AM
Seems like every season there is some kind of shambles with our club on or off the pitch, but the club knows that despite any mess we may end up in, us fans will always fill Selhurst, pay for season tickets and follow the team up and down the country.

The club takes advantage of this by getting the players to mention our support at any opportunity and using us as a means of papering over the cracks in the mess we continue to support.

Personally I didn't go last night and I'm very glad I didn't, but at a minimum I think the fans that did go should be refunded or possibly have their tickets paid for for the FA Cup 3rd round.

In the long term however, when is enough, enough? It's great we stick together whenever we're in the shit but at what point do we stop showing support and make it clear that things need to change?

About 15,000 of us yes, not the 25,000 we get every week now.

CharlieCPFC
25-10-2017, 08:05 AM
It does seem as though when interviewed they always have to make a point in regards to the fans "superb backing" like it's forced upon them.

When you consider how Newcastle's support carried on during their poor era I think the board here are lucky we've been very patient and tolerant to ongoings at the club.

It really is getting demoralising now.

stamford triumph
25-10-2017, 08:06 AM
I did have the thought last night that given we create a great noise most of the time and it has absolutely no impact on the performance we ought to try complete silence for a whole game or even not turning up at all. Perhaps the performances might improve. Certainly can't get any worse.

MFBias
25-10-2017, 08:07 AM
Plenty of Non-league teams that will pat give you the warm feeling of being in a club you are after. Football at the top level is a business and we are customers. You pay for entry to the match, that is all, not a guaranteed result.

I really dont see how this is worse than being stuck in the Championship for years after 1998 apart from 2003/04, we were often midtable to bottom half, dont people remember that? We are in the top flight, and with that we are going to lose games and have to fight hard to keep up and stay up, mistakes will be made in this process. I think people expect too much.

ForzaPalace
25-10-2017, 08:11 AM
Plenty of Non-league teams that will pat give you the warm feeling of being in a club you are after. Football at the top level is a business and we are customers. You pay for entry to the match, that is all, not a guaranteed result.

I really dont see how this is worse than being stuck in the Championship for years after 1998 apart from 2003/04, we were often midtable to bottom half, dont people remember that?

Always seemed more fun those days. Chasing the goal of the bright Premiership lights. When you're shit in the lower leagues however, no one cares. But when you're shit at the top level, you're in the spotlight all over the world.

HRP
25-10-2017, 08:11 AM

Look out for Parish’s programme notes on Saturday , saying we are all in this together , passionate crowd , blah blah blah blah

Kirby
25-10-2017, 08:29 AM
Having travelled over 1,000 miles to Manchester (x2), Newcastle and back over the past few weeks I'm finding myself left with absolutely no motivation to go to Selhurst on Saturday. Paying another £25 for the train (plus food & drink) to see those gutless wankers is so unappealing, especially when I could pocket £50 for my tickets, order a takeaway and have a wank instead.

I hate feeling like this and I know it'll provoke the same old 'f*ck off then' responses from the usual suspects but it's been over two years of this bollocks now and frankly I've had enough of wasting my time and money on these pricks.

(I'll probably still go)

King William
25-10-2017, 08:31 AM
Thought for a while now that it is getting boring the club / the players / Chris greison interviews waffling about how great the support is

King William
25-10-2017, 08:32 AM
Look out for Parish’s programme notes on Saturday , saying we are all in this together , passionate crowd , blah blah blah blah

Very true

Harry Holmesdale
25-10-2017, 08:34 AM
Thought for a while now that it is getting boring the club / the players / Chris greison interviews waffling about how great the support is

Yep, the interview with Roy last night had the usual 'but the fans support was great' line yet again, almost crowbarred into the interview as if its a line that has to be used in ALL interviews as directed from someone very senior...

Maz
25-10-2017, 08:35 AM
Of course if the support wasn't mentioned people would complain.

So it seems only fair that we should complain that they do mention the support.

Harry Holmesdale
25-10-2017, 08:36 AM

Mention it naturally not be asked about it in every interview Grierson does

MFBias
25-10-2017, 08:38 AM

People want acknowledgement for being part of the club, and when they do it, it's empty?

It's bullshit, people want a pat on the back but when it comes it's not enough.

It shows the only thing important is results, not being close to the club or any of that rubbish. I have never felt part of the club, they are a team I support and by that I mean they are the only club I am interested in fooball, I pay for entry and that is it, I dont expect anything back, ofcourse I want to see wins and criticise some of the decisions, but I dont need the players to make me a video or clap me (although it was good to see Speroni come over) I dont expect to meet the players or pretend them are my friends, another reason why I only call players by their surnames. I dont need Parish or the players to thank me for coming either, as it does feel empty but thats because I view it like this, as in the film Adaptation, just because you love something doesnt mean you should expect it to love you back, with this philosophy, I am happy with my engagement with the club, they give me what I want, to be able to watch them that is it.

keltic eagle
25-10-2017, 08:54 AM
Having travelled over 1,000 miles to Manchester (x2), Newcastle and back over the past few weeks I'm finding myself left with absolutely no motivation to go to Selhurst on Saturday. Paying another £25 for the train (plus food & drink) to see those gutless wankers is so unappealing, especially when I could pocket £50 for my tickets, order a takeaway and have a wank instead.

I hate feeling like this and I know it'll provoke the same old 'f*ck off then' responses from the usual suspects but it's been over two years of this bollocks now and frankly I've had enough of wasting my time and money on these pricks.

(I'll probably still go)

Well I'm a thousand miles each home game but the result and atmosphere against chelsea was what makes it worth while. Certainly makes the journey home more enjoyable :)

H.Bomb
25-10-2017, 08:57 AM
A majority... 99% of the fans last night were brilliant. There were a few voicing their frustrations but that is understandable (in my opinion) given the garbage we witnessed last night.

Kirby
25-10-2017, 08:58 AM
Well I'm a thousand miles each home game

You are mental.

keltic eagle
25-10-2017, 09:06 AM
You are mental.

It helps :supergrin:

King William
25-10-2017, 09:06 AM
Yep, the interview with Roy last night had the usual 'but the fans support was great' line yet again, almost crowbarred into the interview as if its a line that has to be used in ALL interviews as directed from someone very senior...

If we sign someone in January..... nailed on the question will be "it's a great atmosphere at Selhurst, the fans really get behind the team. How big a factor was that for you signing"

HOVE EAGLE
25-10-2017, 09:07 AM
Fans don't matter in premier league
Clubs could play to empty stadiums and still make money
Sky is to blame as is the ridiculous money players are paid
Years ago players used to travel drink and engage withfans
Can you imagine that van armhole cares about us
If you get the chance watch the documentary about crusaders in Northern Ireland last year
Manager and players really care about the club

elgin eagle
25-10-2017, 09:09 AM
You are mental.

This is true.

Eric the Ginga
25-10-2017, 09:12 AM
Quite happy to watch from afar nowadays. I feel for those that turn up each week, both home and away. It's a hard habit to break, but I've broken it.
I'll still support the club in spirit, yes. Financially,no.

Windsor_Eagle
25-10-2017, 09:18 AM
Quite happy to watch from afar nowadays. I feel for those that turn up each week, both home and away. It's a hard habit to break, but I've broken it.
I'll still support the club in spirit, yes. Financially,no.

Exactly this.

Will never criticise the fans that travel and spend heavily to follow the team.

I am aware that my glass half full attitude is made all the more possible because I am often in the comfort of my own home. It is not through apathy that I don't go anymore - 3 young kids at home and work and study occupying most of the rest of my time - Palace just slips down the list.

Ooh Betty
25-10-2017, 09:25 AM
If we sign someone in January..... nailed on the question will be "it's a great atmosphere at Selhurst, the fans really get behind the team. How big a factor was that for you signing"

Sign someone in January. Highly unlikely.

andyocpfc
25-10-2017, 09:29 AM
Well I'm a thousand miles each home game but the result and atmosphere against chelsea was what makes it worth while. Certainly makes the journey home more enjoyable :)

I don't know how you, Elgs and Bubbs do it I have to say. I thought about you lot when I travelled to Newcastle last weekend (getting up at 4.30am and getting home at 11pm) and thought 'those crazy bastards do this (and more) all the time for a couple of hours and then travel back'.

You of all people deserve better.

Bubble Wrap
25-10-2017, 09:30 AM

No player signs for Atmosphere etc. Its all about the money.
Not one of our players would stay if offered more cash elsewhere.

JackTheBiscuit
25-10-2017, 09:33 AM
It's alright everyone - Benteke is in the fans zone saturday. How grateful we should all be.

jimmy the gent
25-10-2017, 09:35 AM
Seems like every season there is some kind of shambles with our club on or off the pitch, but the club knows that despite any mess we may end up in, us fans will always fill Selhurst,

In all my life supporting palace, we only ever fill our stadium in the top division, and when mired in life in the championship regularly a less than half full ground. Most of the 2000s we'd get average gates of around 14k.

Ruskin Old Boy
25-10-2017, 09:47 AM

Nice one.

Your post is a beacon of light.

palacelad197o
26-10-2017, 08:59 PM
Years ago players used to travel drink and engage withfans
Can you imagine that van armhole cares about us
If you get the chance watch the documentary about crusaders in Northern Ireland last year
Manager and players really care about the club

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b09bdx7c/true-north-series-9-1-crusaders-keeping-the-faith

cpfc4evandeva
26-10-2017, 09:58 PM
I have never felt part of the club, they are a team I support and by that I mean they are the only club I am interested in fooball, I pay for entry and that is it,
I really pity you then.

I felt part of the club in 2010. In 2013 when we beat Brighton. In 2014 when we beat West Ham and the players came over to us. And probably a hundred other times at least.

I honestly cannot fathom how a long-term fan couldn't have ever felt like he or she wasn't 'part of the club' at some point in their lives, especially in 2010.

eagles #1
26-10-2017, 10:11 PM
It's alright everyone - Benteke is in the fans zone saturday. How grateful we should all be.

You just know his reaction when asked to do this was "Oh for **** sake, do I have to?" :D

elgin eagle
26-10-2017, 10:16 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b09bdx7c/true-north-series-9-1-crusaders-keeping-the-faith

That was a good watch that.

rhiannapaul
26-10-2017, 10:24 PM
Getting called plastic because i dont turn up regardless fed up of home defeats last 2 seasons. my money my choice
Its entertainment not a penance

Jim Cannon
26-10-2017, 10:32 PM
About 15,000 of us yes, not the 25,000 we get every week now.

Yes. The assholes who popped up in the spacious area near our seats when we got promoted, who have a habit of leaving early when we are losing will disappear. And maybe we will have a few less assholes on here too

JDawg
26-10-2017, 10:44 PM
WTF? Everyone is gown up enough to make their own decisions. If you think you're getting taken advantage of/having the piss taken then don't renew. That's your protest option.

Neckinger Eagle
27-10-2017, 12:29 PM
Of course we are taken advantage of. We are a captive market with brand loyalty to the exclusion of any other brand. The club assumes we will all pay a certain wad every year without necessarily bothering to do to much to facilitate.

That is the pact with our devil.

It will be different next season, all hearts and minds and South London is proud Cobblers, when some of us start to waiver and there aren’t obscure Chinese markets to target.

Sharkba1t
27-10-2017, 03:37 PM

Not necessarily. Would people even notice if the support wasn't mentioned?

Crystal Glitter
27-10-2017, 05:27 PM
This the bbs, of course it would be noticed and shit shoveled across multiple threads!

Chris K
27-10-2017, 05:46 PM
Appreciate some people's feelings but this is a bit of a typical thread the morning after the team has a shit performance.

That aside, taking into account people's comments in here receiving an e-mail just now with the subject as ""Our Fans Have Always Given Us a Massive Boost" - Schlupp" gave me a laugh

cpfc4evandeva
27-10-2017, 05:50 PM
It is absolutely the newest PR campaign by the club.

in-exile
27-10-2017, 06:05 PM
It's alright everyone - Benteke is in the fans zone saturday. How grateful we should all be.Not anymore .. that appearance is cancelled... Not that he's really turned up at all this year anyway.

Skiddo
27-10-2017, 06:39 PM

We've never had it so good.

MFBias
27-10-2017, 06:49 PM
I really pity you then.

I felt part of the club in 2010. In 2013 when we beat Brighton. In 2014 when we beat West Ham and the players came over to us. And probably a hundred other times at least.

I honestly cannot fathom how a long-term fan couldn't have ever felt like he or she wasn't 'part of the club' at some point in their lives, especially in 2010.

I have supported since '95, Crystal Palace is a part of me, but am I, a part of the club? no. As I said in the previous post, its maybe the way I think about things, but just because you love something doesnt mean it should love you back. Football clubs at this level are just a business or a institution, I truly think to get that feeling you are part of a club you would need to support a small non-league club.

elgin eagle
27-10-2017, 06:58 PM
I have supported since '95, Crystal Palace is a part of me, but am I, a part of the club? no. As I said in the previous post, its maybe the way I think about things, but just because you love something doesnt mean it should love you back. Football clubs at this level are just a business or a institution, I truly think to get that feeling you are part of a club you would need to support a small non-league club.

Yeah that link on post #31 really showed that. Interestingly I noticed Crusaders are third atm and playing tonight. That manager will be going nuts if they lose again :)

Chillo
27-10-2017, 06:59 PM

^^^^ This

cpfc4evandeva
27-10-2017, 08:16 PM

It sounds like you lead a fairly miserable footballing life. Sorry.

cjcpfc
27-10-2017, 08:41 PM

And what about the ones that went to 5-0 & 4-0 in manchester?

Mad Raschic Ken
27-10-2017, 08:52 PM
And what about the ones that went to 5-0 & 4-0 in manchester?

I went to both Manchester games, Newcastle and Bristol. The thing that made the Bristol City game so bad was that we proved in the first half hour that we were by far the superior team and then completely collapsed. Very different from the other games. We faced excellent teams in Manchester and were a little unlucky in Newcastle.

Dorking .Eagle
27-10-2017, 09:25 PM
I would have thought 90%+ of Palace fans who went to the City and United away games expected nothing but two defeats

Of course being Palace fans, there is always that glint of hope that you might be lucky to witness an amazing shock result. The 4-3 against Liverpool in 1990 (after the 9-0 earlier in the season) teaches you to always keep a tiny bit of hope for a miracle.

Newcastle was typical Palace. Bristol City was just shite!

BadenEagle
27-10-2017, 09:49 PM

What a load of old bollocks. I am as pissed off with the results as everyone else, but claiming the club is “taking advantage” of us infers that the club are losing on purpose There is no automatic right to stay in the PL....it has to be earnt every year. In order to achieve this, decisions are made on managers, coaching staff and players. Some of these decisions work out, others don’t, but to claim that the owners & staff of the club make them, not caring about the outcome, is utter BS.

Some team has to lose - 3 get relegated every year. Does this mean that these clubs “take advantage of their fans“ ?

Last year after the Sunderland game, the usual crap was spouted about “mercenaries”, “not fit to wear the shirt” etc. Shortly after, we stuffed Arsenal and we were the best team in the world...! Err, which is it ?

I fully share the present frustrations but please let’s stop with this “we deserve better” crap. No-one is deliberately trying to piss us fans off by losing, it just happens in football and sport in general.

aj4england
27-10-2017, 09:57 PM
No player signs for Atmosphere etc. Its all about the money.
Not one of our players would stay if offered more cash elsewhere.
i think you will find that Mr Zaha did

Harry Holmesdale
27-10-2017, 10:05 PM
What amazing support we have

Is that why you signed for the club

South London and proud

Fanatics

....its like some kind of zombie like subliminal messaging that goes on. Even the media buy into it.

Hard place to get a result etc etc... but its not been for at least 3 years now...

jimmy the gent
27-10-2017, 11:11 PM
Maybe they could mix it up a bit 'i hear there's a cracking programme seller here', 'i once was introduced to a BHA fan who was a smug tosser', 'i fancy a go on one of those cheerleaders'.

King William
28-10-2017, 06:12 AM
What amazing support we have

Is that why you signed for the club

South London and proud

Fanatics

....its like some kind of zombie like subliminal messaging that goes on. Even the media buy into it.

Hard place to get a result etc etc... but its not been for at least 3 years now...

https://www.cpfc.co.uk/news/2017/october/hodgson-fans-are-our-12th-man/

And as if by magic.....

Pistol Knight
28-10-2017, 06:27 AM
Not anymore .. that appearance is cancelled... Not that he's really turned up at all this year anyway.

We have a reserve injured striker sub, Wickham will be there instead

PeterH
28-10-2017, 06:35 AM

To be replaced with South London and Proud next season. Except Zaha gone, Puncheon put out to stud, and young players without enough investment and experience to be considered the new poster boys.

PeterH
28-10-2017, 06:40 AM
I, for one, was overjoyed to be able to scramble for a 40 quid ticket at the arse end of the Arthur the last time I was over. A whole stand away from my mates, and watching the game on my own. It wasnt my seat, but I couldnt be arsed trying to find that.

There were a few seats free in that corner, as I found out when the two tourists turned up 5 minutes after half time to claim the seat I was sitting. Probably hadnt worked out the transport logistics.

And people wonder why I dont get back so often.

Jordan's Jacket
28-10-2017, 06:50 AM
Tbf all clubs do the same. It is obvious that players are trained in how to use social media etc. Every tweet has to contain trite phrases about the wonderful support they receive. Hopefully it will be different in the championship

NRM the 2nd
28-10-2017, 06:51 AM
The club seem to look after a very small number of our support very well but don't care for the rest. Feel like I need to buy a drum, black hoodie and a can of spray and I can get an area and ticket for any game. To me it is beginning to feel that as fans the club the media etc only see one tiny part of the overall support actually matter

TheMexicanHorse
28-10-2017, 07:14 AM
We have a reserve injured striker sub, Wickham will be there instead

How nice of him to be in the Uk for once.

Skiddo
28-10-2017, 07:35 AM
Maybe they could mix it up a bit 'i hear there's a cracking programme seller here', 'i once was introduced to a BHA fan who was a smug tosser', 'i fancy a go on one of those cheerleaders'.

"I'm looking forward to playing with Wayne Hennessy and Martin Kelly."

PC of CP
28-10-2017, 10:10 AM
I think I'm starting to feel like some of my Chels & arse 'associates' did about 8-10 years ago. Guys that had held season tickets for years and travelled the country had had enough of being 'customers' and very few go regularly now. They still all love their clubs, but don't feel engaged or valued - easy to fill their seat with a tourist.

We've nearly been premiershipped !!!

I don't want us to go down, but I'm also not really enjoying things and haven't since the yanks, pardew, parishes skin tight jeans etc etc

Maybe just on a downer & smashing the spammers will help, but I fear it's deeper.

MFBias
28-10-2017, 11:56 AM
Double post.

Mr Palace
28-10-2017, 12:00 PM
I think I'm starting to feel like some of my Chels & arse 'associates' did about 8-10 years ago. Guys that had held season tickets for years and travelled the country had had enough of being 'customers' and very few go regularly now. They still all love their clubs, but don't feel engaged or valued - easy to fill their seat with a tourist.

I don't want us to go down, but I'm also not really enjoying things and haven't since the yanks, pardew, parishes skin tight jeans etc etc

Maybe just on a downer & smashing the spammers will help, but I fear it's deeper.

Pretty much how I feel. Something has died. But that happens when you flood the squad with overpaid mercenaries who don't care much.

MFBias
28-10-2017, 12:02 PM
It sounds like you lead a fairly miserable footballing life. Sorry.

Quite the opposite, I have been a season ticket holder for years and Palace gives me alot of joy, I just have a different perspective to it than you, which I can explain without being patronising.

I met the players when I was 10 at a training camp and sure that was exciting but now I dont idolise the players or feel association with other Palace fans at games (look at what happened to Souare, I cant represent with that) so that 'club' as in something you go to and are a member of is something I think is more at a localised smaller level. Sure it's great to meet another Palace supporter at work etc but I see it as a common interest rather than being a member of a club. Surely as a member of a club there has to be some form of community or involvement other than turning up with your mates and singing the songs? This I understand will be not how some people view it has they want to feel connected and their role has an importance but it's just how I view it, which Im happy with going to games and supporting the team.

jaspercpfc
28-10-2017, 12:13 PM

echo this

MFBias
28-10-2017, 12:15 PM
Pretty much how I feel. Something has died. But that happens when you flood the squad with overpaid mercenaries who don't care much.

Be careful what you wish for...

I truly think that if people want to feel connected with their club they should support a non-league team, they value their support because they need it, which works in reverse with the top clubs. Maybe some should form AFC Palace.

cpfc4evandeva
28-10-2017, 05:02 PM
Quite the opposite, I have been a season ticket holder for years and Palace gives me alot of joy, I just have a different perspective to it than you, which I can explain without being patronising.

I met the players when I was 10 at a training camp and sure that was exciting but now I dont idolise the players or feel association with other Palace fans at games (look at what happened to Souare, I cant represent with that) so that 'club' as in something you go to and are a member of is something I think is more at a localised smaller level. Sure it's great to meet another Palace supporter at work etc but I see it as a common interest rather than being a member of a club. Surely as a member of a club there has to be some form of community or involvement other than turning up with your mates and singing the songs? This I understand will be not how some people view it has they want to feel connected and their role has an importance but it's just how I view it, which Im happy with going to games and supporting the team.

What? I don't think anyone can explain the feeling (or lack of, in your case) behind it, and your post most certainly doesn't. Cool that you met the players as a nipper, but I have no idea what that has to do with it.

MFBias
28-10-2017, 05:13 PM
I dont think you understand what Im talking about. I support Palace and it's a part of me but in terms of being a 'club' that Im a member to, I dont feel I need acknowlegdement or feel part of the community as it doesnt really require it or portray it at this level. The 'club' is just a sub group of supporters you probably know who see at the ground and communicate with rather than the club as a whole. Today I celebrated the Zaha goal with a stranger, thats about it with mixing with other Palace fans outside my 'subgroup' ,and that is enough for me.

I probably felt more a connection when I was young but that is when life is romantic and everything feels deliberate and linked, the change was when I realised that just because someone supports the same club as me doesnt mean they arnt an oaf. Im really speaking philosophically how I view a club I support and the essense is, I dont need to feel a part of it or it to love me back for me to love it and to be part of me, I reckon most people couldnt handle that idea as they want to feel important to the thing they love.

CPFC.1990
28-10-2017, 05:16 PM
I dont think you understand what Im talking about. I support Palace and it's a part of me but in terms of being a 'club' that Im a member to, I dont feel I need acknowlegdement or feel part of the community as it doesnt really require it or portray it at this level. The 'club' is just a sub group of supporters you probably know who see at the ground and communicate with rather than the club as a whole. Today I celebrated the Zaha goal with a stranger, thats about it with mixing with other Palace fans and that is enough for me.

:supergrin:

And yet you spend a great deal of time talking to other Palace fans on here.

MFBias
28-10-2017, 05:22 PM
Yes because Im interested in talking about something Im invested in, there is a purpose: Debate, rather than coming on the BBS to feel a member of the club.

CPFC.1990
28-10-2017, 05:25 PM
Yes because Im interested in talking about something Im invested in, there is a purpose: Debate, rather than coming on the BBS to feel a member of the club.

But you just said you basically had no interest in engaging with other supporters.

MFBias
28-10-2017, 05:40 PM
But you just said you basically had no interest in engaging with other supporters.

At the ground yes, maybe Ill chat to someone the same way you would talk to someone at the train station but really we are all just a crowd of people who have a common interest, who goes out of their way to mingle with people out of their group at Palace? Hardly anyone I imagine.

There is a distinction regarding the BBS, Im not doing this to 'engage' with supporters but to engage in debate about topics that I have an interest in. Does that not make sense? I doubt you do it to make 'friends' with people that support Palace, if so many would be alot nicer to each other on here.

cpfc4evandeva
28-10-2017, 06:03 PM
You don't get it. It's simply this - if the club were ever to go under, like it nearly did in 2010, would it hurt?

If your favourite restaurant, shop, car manufacturer, airline, etc went under, how would you feel? Maybe a bit inconvenienced, maybe sorry for staff that had lost their jobs, but not hurt. At a football club you are not just a customer, but part of the very entity of the club.

If you really don't feel like that, I don't understand why you would go. I think deep down, you do have that feeling. Otherwise you wouldn't cheer when we score, you would clap. You wouldn't be annoyed by a bad refereeing decision, you'd just shrug your shoulders. Being a real football fan is more than just turning up each week.

thereichstuff
28-10-2017, 06:07 PM
The club seem to look after a very small number of our support very well but don't care for the rest. Feel like I need to buy a drum, black hoodie and a can of spray and I can get an area and ticket for any game. To me it is beginning to feel that as fans the club the media etc only see one tiny part of the overall support actually matter

You better not . It’s bad enough with Kev’s noise .

Salad_Burnet
28-10-2017, 06:08 PM
MFBias sounds very aloof.

redandblue
28-10-2017, 06:11 PM

the season before we went up the whole block in front of me was empty you could have sat anywhere. Surprised Season tickets not gone one sale for next year yet still I wont have any twats coming in 15 minutes after KO not knowing where their seats are, will be able to park close and wont have the idiots with all this seasons clobber on making out they are the best fans ever.

MFBias
28-10-2017, 06:15 PM
You don't get it. It's simply this - if the club were ever to go under, like it nearly did in 2010, would it hurt?

If your favourite restaurant, shop, car manufacturer, airline, etc went under, how would you feel? Maybe a bit inconvenienced, maybe sorry for staff that had lost their jobs, but not hurt. At a football club you are not just a customer, but part of the very entity of the club.

If you really don't feel like that, I don't understand why you would go. I think deep down, you do have that feeling. Otherwise you wouldn't cheer when we score, you would clap. You wouldn't be annoyed by a bad refereeing decision, you'd just shrug your shoulders. Being a real football fan is more than just turning up each week.

There are more than two distinctions you mention. I love my team, it doesnt love me nor do I feel a member of a 'club' that is a possible option.

crowboro eagle
28-10-2017, 06:32 PM
In the club shop today and thought about this thread. What the club need to remember is if we go down I will still be here. Getting my season ticket and supporting the club. Heir flick from Germany any son ching from China won’t be!!! Stop concentrating on tourists and start looking after the genuine real fans!!!

redandblue
28-10-2017, 06:37 PM
In the club shop today and thought about this thread. What the club need to remember is if we go down I will still be here. Getting my season ticket and supporting the club. Heir flick from Germany any son ching from China won’t be!!! Stop concentrating on tourists and start looking after the genuine real fans!!!

It is not just the tourists as I said the block in front of me in the WHR was empty in the Championship completely empty it is now full of Season Ticket holders that appeared after we got promoted.

I have been going since 84 and had a ST since 1990 even when I moved away and went two home matches in 2 seasons yet when these "new" or "revived" supporters started coming the policy was changed on my daughters free season ticket and I started having to pay for her (she was two)

Jon_C-Pal
28-10-2017, 06:43 PM
Be careful what you wish for...

I truly think that if people want to feel connected with their club they should support a non-league team, they value their support because they need it, which works in reverse with the top clubs. Maybe some should form AFC Palace.

This club more than any have needed the die hard fans in tbe stands over the years. It's not about the money but the support. It'd be the difference between us and the library full of plastics like the Amex if the chips where down for both clubs.

Ardent Eagle Forever
28-10-2017, 06:52 PM
Mention it naturally not be asked about it in every interview Grierson does

He mentioned it naturally tonight. Why is there all this cynicism when the fans are mentioned by the management in such a favourable light. FFS what's up with some of you people.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41703863

MFBias
28-10-2017, 06:55 PM
This club more than any have needed the die hard fans in tbe stands over the years. It's not about the money but the support. It'd be the difference between us and the library full of plastics like the Amex if the chips where down for both clubs.

Every club has diehard fans, we are no different to people who support Northampton Town etc.

cpfc4evandeva
28-10-2017, 06:56 PM
There are more than two distinctions you mention. I love my team, it doesnt love me nor do I feel a member of a 'club' that is a possible option.

You have a strange realationship with it then. It is a two-way thing for everyone it seems, other than you.

Ardent Eagle Forever
28-10-2017, 06:56 PM

Agree with this

[/QUOTE]Years ago players used to travel drink and engage withfans
Can you imagine that van armhole cares about us[/QUOTE]

I suspect that the likes of Wilf Zaha, Julian Speroni, Damian Delaney, Joel Ward and Scott Dann give a shit about us. Four of those were with us in the Championship.

Manager and players really care about the club[/QUOTE]

MFBias
28-10-2017, 07:55 PM
You have a strange realationship with it then. It is a two-way thing for everyone it seems, other than you.

Im sure you love the club, but explain the other part of the 'two-way thing'?

Even the HF are a sub-group and dont represent the club as a membership. In terms of a club, it's buying a ticket and going to games with your own sub-group that is your own club, it not joining an entity with the entire fanbase, that doesnt exist.

sylvan eagle
28-10-2017, 08:51 PM
I've loved the club since 1983 and still love the club as much now and my son who's 13 is exactly the same

King William
28-10-2017, 09:11 PM
I really pity you then.

Agree.

Really did on all the above you mention. Not at all now though

cpfc4evandeva
28-10-2017, 10:06 PM
Im sure you love the club, but explain the other part of the 'two-way thing'?

Even the HF are a sub-group and dont represent the club as a membership. In terms of a club, it's buying a ticket and going to games with your own sub-group that is your own club, it not joining an entity with the entire fanbase, that doesnt exist.

This is not a cop out, but you can't explain it. It's a feeling you get, and I honestly have no idea how it bypassed you in 2010.

And I'm with you King William. The closest I've felt to the club since 2010 would have been when the players came over to us at Upton Park in 2014. It was a real moment when we were with them and they were with us.

That feels like it was a 30 years ago now, not 3. The club seem so distant from those days of almost innocence. It seems at every turn they're trying to make a quick buck, and have no interest in planning for the future.

JannerEagle
28-10-2017, 10:15 PM
What does this mean in layman's terms??

MFBias
28-10-2017, 11:50 PM
This is not a cop out, but you can't explain it. It's a feeling you get, and I honestly have no idea how it bypassed you in 2010.

And I'm with you King William. The closest I've felt to the club since 2010 would have been when the players came over to us at Upton Park in 2014. It was a real moment when we were with them and they were with us.

That feels like it was a 30 years ago now, not 3. The club seem so distant from those days of almost innocence. It seems at every turn they're trying to make a quick buck, and have no interest in planning for the future.

I ran on the pitch at Stockport and was close to Freedman as he wept and Jamie Smith held his fist at me in triumph, yes these were emotional moments and probably the closest I have been to being part of what was happening on the pitch, but these moments are a rarity and even they have a big emotional reaction in me and importance in my life, but I still was a spectator of a team I love rather than a member of a club, Im not expecting you to understand my philosophy on it, as I have said before a good realisation in my life was that it's possible and good to not expect something that you love to love you back, as a group on the terrace we become one conscious which feels great when we score or win, but I cant say Im a member of the club or feel connected with the team or wider Palace support, it's just the way I see it.