PDA

View Full Version : Player Ratings And Reviews: West Ham (home)

Pages : [1] 2

glaziers fan
28-10-2017, 04:51 PM
Speroni 5 No saves. 2 shots 2 goals. neither in the corner. we need a keeper badly

PVA n/a I like him, and even I admit he shouldn't have been starting
Tomkins 7 Some good headers, better than Dann
Dann 5 Average. Very slow. Not an aerial threat anymore, outdone by Tomkins
Ward 4 His fault for first goal imho (where was he?) and offers nothing going forward. Rightly subbed

Schlupp 6 Felt he was better as a left back. Covering pace. Like it.
Milivojevic 7 Mistake for the second so minus a point, but other than that he bossed it. Excellent penalty. Again.
Cabaye 10 MOM He was ******* everywhere. Hit the post, so many tackles and interceptions. Lasted 90 mins. His best performance for us. Should be captain
Loftus Cheek 6 Was very poor for the first 75 mins but then came alive. Has power and pace but lacks energy. Doesn't close down properly

Zaha 9 Another goal to prove the doubters wrong. Should have had a penalty. Made the right decisions more often than not. With him we always have a chance
Townsend 7 Bright. A great runner, with quality on the ball and workrate off it. Won the penalty. Great work again Andros.

Subs:

Tim Fosu-Mensah 8 Beast of a player. So much pace, carried it forward. More about him later
Sako 7 I know he missed a glorious opportunity but I felt he worked so bloody hard, and was a threat despite playing out of position. he looks like a completely different player to me. Well done Bakary

Hodgson: Big credit to him, he seems to understand who his best players are. I didn't agree with the 4-3-3 but that 2nd sub was spot on.

Huge signs of encouragement there. Real fighting spirit, especially from Cabaye. There is NO WAY we are going down, especially if the manager gets it right. West Ham sat back as expected and we huffed and puffed and conceded the first after switching off. The 2nd was an error from Luka. But the whole reason we were in trouble was that we don't have enough attacking players, especially the full backs, at home. In fact, I blame Joel Ward for our abysmal home form. He simply has no pace, can't cross and can't go forward. That's not good enough for a modern Premier League full back. We were a different proposition when he went off. Tim Fosu-Mensah, superb game from him. He can run with it, he has the pace and he can tackle. Sign him up. Crucial cog in the machine for home games for me. Likewise Schlupp as a left back. Has the recovery pace, and can run with it. He is what is needed for home games especially. Very encouraging signs. We all know the XI that should be playing once Benteke is back. Let's hope we see it on a regular basis. We need to play with 2 pacy attacking full backs in the home games, plus RLC, Zaha, Townsend and Benteke to open them up. Pleased with our aerial presence today. Back to normal for us in that regard.

TouchyAndalou
28-10-2017, 05:05 PM
PVA MOM. Didn't make any major mistakes today.

Lordbenny
28-10-2017, 05:05 PM
Johan never stoped, just battled the whole game deffo MOTM for me.

jaspercpfc
28-10-2017, 05:06 PM
YC was superb today and definitely our MOTM. Special mention for Tomkins who put in a shift and stepped up for the cause.

doogleboy
28-10-2017, 05:07 PM
Thought TFM did well when he came on

teesdale99
28-10-2017, 05:07 PM
Voted for cabaye as he took the game by the scruff of the neck, broke up play well, passed it with precision, put in some good free kicks and hit the post.

Wilf and andros both lively second half. Tomkins solid, hope we can get him and sakho playing a run of games together. Dann composed but is getting exposed for lack of pace. Tfm excellent at right back. Luka solid other than sloppy mistake for second goal. Rlc get into the game and drove at defence at pace second half, poor first half defensively offering little cover to ward. Speroni seemed to get nowhere near either goal, still our best choice unfortunately. Sclupp solid enough and currently our best choice at left back. His and wards crossing is truly shocking. All these guys do is play football and train.

Jules 5
Ward 4
Pva 4
Dann 5
Tomkins 7
Sclupp 5
Luka 7
Cabaye 8
Townsend 8
Zaha 8
Rlc 7
Tfm 7
Sako 6

Gregz41
28-10-2017, 05:11 PM
I suspect Zaha will man of the match for providing the goods at the end, but Cabaye was the pick of the bunch for me today. Showed experience, composure and leadership when the chips were down.

Wound Noble right up at the end as well.

Biggineagle
28-10-2017, 05:12 PM
Cabaye for me. Very special mention for Wilf also most excellent.

Thefunkymonk
28-10-2017, 05:17 PM
Game of two halves.

We were so lacklustre in first half... gifted them two goals (they did nothing apart from that)

Second had different animal.

Huge difference was moving wilf and Townsend wide with TFM right back!

Anyway ratings

Speroni 5 - wasn’t great for either goals, nothing to do apart from that

Ward 4 - poor, cost us first goal
Dann 6 - him and Tomkins poor for second goal, solid in 2nd half
Tomkins 6 - as above
Pva - not fair to judge on short outing

RLC 6 - better when he came in middle
Cabaye 8 - was everywhere
Luka 7 - again quality. Marked down for mistake that led to second
Schlupp 7 - did well today.

Wilf 8 - quiet in spells, actually think he’s wasted up top, love the man so much
Townsend 7 - was everywhere

Subs
TFM 7 - so much better than ward
Sako 5 - pony

Kai
Speroni 6
Ward 6
Dann 7
Tomkins 7
Fosu-Mensah 7
Cabaye 8
Luka 6
Loftus-Cheek 6
Townsend 7
Schlupp 7
Zaha 8

Sako 5

Pubface
Cabaye hands down best player. Tfm showed brilliant bursts of speed second half and cannot fault Wilf. Thank you for something against this lot!

bigend1
28-10-2017, 05:19 PM
Cabaye really has been excellent this season.

Least shit under frank

Best under roy

Jim Cannon
28-10-2017, 05:22 PM
Cabaye deffo MOM
So unlucky not to equalise when he did. If that had gone in we may have got all 3 points. Other feeling if TFM was excellent once switched to RB. Think he should start there.
What is up with Sakho?

teesdale99
28-10-2017, 05:24 PM
Today was further evidence, if we needed it, of our best team. The ludicrous dalliance under fdb with 3 at the back that resulted in odd team selections and positions, low confidence and presumably discontent amount the players has really set us back. But all is not lost.

I still think a 451 will suit is best with benteke joined by andros and wilf who should learn a lot from their advanced narrower roles in bentekes absence. Downside is they are required to get up and down the pitch more and will have more defensive duties, but allows us to play the obvious midfield 3.

Sakho and Tomkins with sclupp and tfm at the back.

It's been a fairly obvious first choice team but not sure we have got it on the pitch yet?

IF we can make it through to January without too many injuries and in touch with the relegation pack we need to be very savvy with 2 or 3 buys. No 1 priority is a goalie. Secondly a striker, someone with pace. If budget allows a young tricky winger and another holding midfielder like Luka would be nice.

mrB
28-10-2017, 05:24 PM
What a ******* goal by wilf tho

Kidofwonder
28-10-2017, 05:25 PM
Loved seeing the old Cabaye this season, hes a bastard

KingClinton
28-10-2017, 05:26 PM
Hodgson surprised me nicely by dropping puncheon.

Go on uncle Roy. Drop ward too. You know it makes sense. Weak link.

Millip
28-10-2017, 05:33 PM
Why does Joe Hart decide to find some form when we play them?

Cabaye excellent, following on from Chelsea game

aj4england
28-10-2017, 05:35 PM
Game of two halves.

We were so lacklustre in first half... gifted them two goals (they did nothing apart from that)

Anyway ratings

Speroni 5 - wasnít great for either goals, nothing to do apart from that

Tomkins 6 - as above

Wilf 8 - quiet in spells, actually think heís wasted up top, love the man so much

Subs
Sako 5 - pony

Roy too negative first half , could have won with Delaney on last ten and Carroll unable to come on , they were weak in the air but Roy just don't see it .
Cabaye class , special mention to fosu at right back ( what were you doing Roy at left back ) , Wilf and Andros. Luka stop strolling please. Sako did ok out wide - again Roy the wingers need to swop now and again.

Skintagain
Game of two halves.

We were so lacklustre in first ha

Subs
Sako 5 - pony

For the second he got turned twice, piss poor.

carter
Zaha will get the headlines but he wasn’t our best player. Cabaye, Townsend, TFM & Tomkins were good today. At half time I was not happy but in the end we deserved the win. Can’t conplain about a draw when your 2-0 down at half time though.

Milivojevic has to start being better in possession. He did that first game of season. Ward is a weak link. So is Schlupp.

chav_hater
28-10-2017, 05:36 PM

Been going long? ;)

teesdale99
28-10-2017, 05:36 PM
Speroni 5 No saves. 2 shots 2 goals. neither in the corner. we need a keeper badly

Tomkins 6 Was ok
Dann 6 He was ok
Ward 4 His fault for first goal imho (where was he?) and offers nothing going forward. Rightly subbed

Milivojevic 7 Mistake for the second so minus a point, but other than that he bossed it. Excellent penalty. Again.
Cabaye 10 MOM He was ******* everywhere. Hit the post, so many tackles and interceptions. Lasted 90 mins. His best performance for us. Should be captain
Loftus Cheek 6 Was very poor for the first 75 mins but then came alive. Has power and pace but lacks energy. Doesn't close down properly

Zaha 9 Another goal to prove the doubters wrong. Should have had a penalty. Made the right decisions more often than not. With him we always have a chance
Townsend 7 Bright. A great runner, with quality on the ball and workrate off it. Won the penalty. Great work again Andros.

Subs:

Tim Fosu-Mensah 8 Beast of a player. So much pace, carried it forward. More about him later
Sako 7 I know he missed a glorious opportunity but I felt he worked so bloody hard, and was a threat despite playing out of position. he looks like a completely different player to me. Well done Bakary

Hodgson: Big credit to him, he seems to understand who his best players are. I didn't agree with the 4-3-3 but that 2nd sub was spot on.

Huge signs of encouragement there. Real fighting spirit, especially from Cabaye. There is NO WAY we are going down, especially if the manager gets it right. West Ham sat back as expected and we huffed and puffed and conceded the first after switching off. The 2nd was an error from Luka. But the whole reason we were in trouble was that we don't have enough attacking players, especially the full backs, at home. In fact, I blame Joel Ward for our abysmal home form. He simply has no pace, can't cross and can't go forward. That's not good enough for a modern Premier League full back. We were a different proposition when he went off. Tim Fosu-Mensah, superb game from him. He can run with it, he has the pace and he can tackle. Sign him up. Crucial cog in the machine for home games for me. Likewise Schlupp as a left back. Has the recovery pace, and can run with it. He is what is needed for home games especially. Very encouraging signs. We all know the XI that should be playing once Benteke is back. Let's hope we see it on a regular basis. We need to play with 2 pacy attacking full backs in the home games, plus RLC, Zaha, Townsend and Benteke to open them up. Pleased with our aerial presence today. Back to normal for us in that regard.
We saw the game in exactly the same way - we wrote almost exactly the same thing at the same time. I'm relatively optimistic about staying up IF we continue to show the same fighting spirit as of late. Our energy levels and commitment were hugely improved in the second half - they must have had a rollicking!! At some point fortune will smile in us too - so many golden chances somehow conspiring to stay out due to poor finishing, good saves and General rub of the green.

norwoodeagle
28-10-2017, 05:37 PM
Yohan was top drawer today and has been all season.
Julian seems to have the confidence of the defence and this helps with distribution, no panics. Is it because he looks like a keeper in the yellow whereas Wayne in grey looks just that grey and not visible to anyone.
Wilf has acquired an edge and determination that means the opposition can't let upon him.
TFM has so much pace, and defensively he's very sound a real find, shame it's only a loan.

Spindle
28-10-2017, 05:38 PM
Luka has a bit of a habit of losing the ball softly for all his great play. Because he plays so deep it is usually costly.

JDawg
Cabaye MOM by a country mile

Townsend and Luka a close second

Wilf seem to drift in and out but came alive at the end and took his goal well.

TFM redeemed himself and some.

RLC had some good moments but I didn't find him that great.

Was I the only one spotting PVA throwing a tracksuit wha he was subbed.

The performance in the second half was as good as it was lacklustre in the first half. How come Joe Hart decides to put in a performance for the first time in about two years today? Has his dandruff flared up so he needs the ad again?

I want to see the Wilf penalty shout as it was the other end from the HU, but.......

We respect the point, but I agree with Roy. The amount of chances we created we could have won it by two goals. However, this isn't the first time. We have to convert this stuff. Get this right and we will be out of the relegation zone by Christmas.

I also think Roy is exactly the person we need at the moment. He says it how it is and is also beginning to turn this into action.

I would have been pissed off to have left Selhurst today with nothing. If West Ham get narky then **** them. I think 6 minutes of added time was generous to them given how much time they wasted. A real amount of added time and we would have won it.

Skintagain
Much better everybody working hard and a bit of fight, 18 fouls. How much more urgent was the midfield.

BBC reckons 57% possession.

They had 2 shots on target and 2 goals, we created 9 on target for our 2. Oh for a striker.

Bounce back
28-10-2017, 05:39 PM
Enjoyed the game , came home feeling entertained

CK
28-10-2017, 05:43 PM
And we have won the world cup for the second time in my life.:lux:

glaziers fan
Game of two halves.

Anyway ratings

Speroni 5 - wasn’t great for either goals, nothing to do apart from that

Tomkins 6 - as above

Wilf 8 - quiet in spells, actually think he’s wasted up top, love the man so much

Subs
Sako 5 - pony

If Wilf was played on the right wing, as everyone wants, he would never have scored the equaliser or had 4 shots on target. He was outstanding. I don't want him to have to defend. That's how good he is. He is not a winger who crosses. He is a goalscorer. He is our Thierry Henry. Great to see him cutting in and shooting. Still has the option to go down the line, but if he scores goals he will finally get the pladits he deserves. Not beating players so much, but more end product where it matters.

Also, people criticise Parish but signing Zaha to a long term deal was the best bit of business any club did over the season.

Also, agree with the majority of your ratings - have just given slightly higher marks to Zaha and Cabaye, but understand most won't because we didn't win.

COYP.

Al From Bromley
No keeper in the world would have saved that second goal of theirs.

Mr Palace
28-10-2017, 05:44 PM
Dreadful performance in the first half but very good second half. We deserved a point at least. Whether it's enough is another matter. West Ham were awful and I think it's a bad result for us not to beat them but credit to the players for working to the end.

We are about as close to being a one man team as you can get. We have no cutting edge apart from Wilf. Thank the lord for Wilf. I can't stand the premier league but watching him every week is the main reason I want us to stay up. He's a joy to see.

As for the defence, it was another day to forget. We looked all over the place in the final 20 mins of the second half. Badly missed Sakho.

Well, at least we didn't lose. I can't stand those wankers so to grab a draw is something at least.

Speroni - 6 - thought he was good. No fault for either goal.

Ward - 5 - Lots of poor passes and rightly subbed as he offers nothing going forward.
PvA - another pathetic performance before he limped off. What a useless pussy.
Dann - 5 - thought he was quite poor. Looks better with the superior Sakho to guide him.
Tomkins - 5 - not as strong as he should have been for several challenges and generally looked like a player that hasn't started in the league for a while.

Luka - 6 - very weak for Ayew's goal. Looked unsettled a lot but got into it more in the second half. Great penalty.
Cabaye - 7- lost the midfield battle first half but again he was much better second half. Some lovely through balls and a great shot that hit the post.
Schlupp - 4 - he's become a nothing player. Pointless for most of the game and always takes the safe option by passing backwards or sideways. What happened to the guy who would go on surging runs down the left? I'd restore him ah LB asap as he's not good enough to play further forward.
RLC - 6 - when he could be bothered he was ok as he made some lovely runs but he switches off for large periods of the game. He neeede to deliver a lot more.

Townsend - 6 - always busy and works so hard so gets a lot of credit but his lack of creativity and end product is very frustrating.
Zaha - 8 - the only player capable of hurting West Ham. Not his best game but he's still a menace. What a fantastic goal to rescue a point. Much better on the wing than up front.

Subs
TFM - 6 - poor at left back but I thought he was very good in the second half when he switched to right back. Much more of a threat going forward than ward.
Sako - 5 - very clumsy and couldn't time his runs but he did some good work on the right wing. I'd start him until Benteke returns.

Hodgson - 5 - marked down for his negative approach - he needs to be bolder. Things are still poor but he doesn't have many options. Pleased for him that we got something out of this at least.

andyocpfc
28-10-2017, 05:45 PM
Cabaye deffo MOM
So unlucky not to equalise when he did. If that had gone in we may have got all 3 points. Other feeling if TFM was excellent once switched to RB. Think he should start there.
What is up with Sakho?

A very minor calf strain and wanted to play but I assume Roy didnít want to risk it and make matters worse and risk losing him for longer.

Yoda
28-10-2017, 05:47 PM
Good to see Hodgson act a bit sooner and more decisively with his subs this week.

Need to see their first goal again, but at the time I couldn’t understand why Ward left his wing undefended and was attracted towards another WH player, who someone else had.

Great second half performance by TF-M, especially after a painful injury in the first half.

I also thought Townsend and Wilf were great...and Sako pitched in by winning some corners and giving their defence another nuisance to think about. Obviously not a Prem striker though.

Luka worked hard, but was also partly responsible for their second goal.

RL-C is annoying me at times, by sauntering around and drifting out the game for periods. But, then he suddenly comes alive for a patch and shows great skill and vision! A frustrating player who could be brilliant if he could be more consistent.

But MoM for me was Cabaye for trying throughout the match, geeing up the others, nearly scoring (how did the rebound off the post miss the back of Hart?!) and showing the grit that was missing in nearly all those who played on Tuesday.

AJ
28-10-2017, 05:49 PM
We really needed 3 points, but we show spirit and determination to come back from 2 down to draw.

Speroni 5 - should have done better with both goals. The second was from outside the box and straight at him!

Ward - 5 mixed bag, not terrible, not good.

PVa - na. Injured early

Dann 5 - average7

Tomkins 6 - better than Dann, 2 good headers on target.

Luka 7 - strong all game, slipped for the 2nd goal, but other players had 1/2 the field to stop Ayew. Good penalty.

Cabaye - 8 good game, hit the post and keep going.

Lotus-Cheek - 6 a few good runs, but really spends too much of the game anonymous

Shlupp - 6 slotted in well at lb. Says a lot when he plays better than our actual first choice lb.

Townsend - 7 lots of running with the ball, but not much to show for it. Won the penalty

Wilf - 8 will also struggle with Madely as ref, as he never gives him anything. Lots of on target shots today, last one went in!

Subs
TFM - 6 came in on left, switched to right and did well.

Sako - 6 played central which allowed Wilf to pull wide

bigend1
28-10-2017, 05:50 PM

That was Dann

Dann would have been one on one with ayew for the first goal too which is why ward came across as he's supposed to do. He wasn't at fault, normally Luka would have been picking ayew up in front of the back four there but it was a quick break

Mr Palace

Exactly. Some ridiculous comments about Speroni here.

glaziers fan

Was it in the corner? Don't think so.

andyocpfc
28-10-2017, 05:56 PM
PVA had the real rats when he came off sitting in the dug out. Silly really as itís hardly worth making an injury worse by playing on - see Wilf against Huddersfield.

bigend1
28-10-2017, 05:57 PM
No keeper saves that second goal. Watch it again from behind ayew

jhc
28-10-2017, 05:58 PM
Wilf & Yohan 9.5, magic!
Why, oh why did we only get one point out of that game?
Deserved all three but we’re lucky to get one in the end! A travesty of justice

AJ
28-10-2017, 05:58 PM
Hart would have. It really was hit well, but straight at Speroni who was back peddling. A taller goalkeeper could have stood still and probably reached it. What was criminal was that he got the ball near the half way line and ran unchallenged to just outside the box where he had time to set himself up and shoot. All Ward had to do was get in front of him and force him wide.

nicobos
28-10-2017, 06:00 PM
We really deserved to win bar two bits of sloppy play.

Much more inventive in the second half and glad to get a point after all the stop-start fouling which seemed to slow us down every time we started gaining momentum.

Cabaye superb. Fosu men far better on right hand side.

Not sure about sako on the right as can only cross with his left foot. Inside forward but with not enough space to cut inside.

Schlupp a bit anonymous in midfield in first half

Loftus cheek has the quality but doesn't use it often enough. A bit out of position. Good player but not one I feel will help dig you Out of a hole...

Townsend had another good game and showing some real quality on the ball. Surely a matter of time before he gets his first goal of the season.

Luka played well excluding his mistake and looked assured in the middle; breaking up play and his distribution was decent. Felt dann should have done better against Ayew.

Zaha was the game changer that stole the point. Constant threat all game and thwarted by Hart on previous occasions. Very happy for him following the West Ham fans England chant. Showed maturity to brush it off.

On a separate note, congratulations to Kirby on a fine England victory ! I look forward to seeing him in red & blue in a season or two's time!

brisbane_eagle
28-10-2017, 06:05 PM

And drop Dann

Golf Boy
28-10-2017, 06:06 PM
Hart would have. It really was hit well, but straight at Speroni who was back peddling. A better goalkeeper could have stood still and probably reached it. What was criminal was that he got the ball near the half way line and ran unchallenged to just outside the box where he had time to set himself up and shoot. All Ward had to do was get in front of him and force him wide.

efa

TheCharmer1
28-10-2017, 06:08 PM
feels like a turning point.

Not only the fight back, but the change in formation and so many lessons learnt personnel wise.

433 is the way forward. TFM is better than Ward, Schlupp is better than PVA, Tomkins is better than Dann, plus townsend and Zaha are better wide. Make Cabaye or Mamu captain and be done with it. Lets stop this south london and proud marketing crap.

TheCharmer1
28-10-2017, 06:09 PM
feels like a turning point.

Not only the fight back, but the change in formation and so many lessons learnt personnel wise.

433 is the way forward. TFM is better than Ward, Schlupp is better than PVA, Tomkins is better than Dann, plus townsend and Zaha are better wide. Make Cabaye or Mamu captain and be done with it. Lets stop this south london and proud marketing crap.

Golf Boy
28-10-2017, 06:10 PM

The performance in the second half was as good as it was lacklustre in the first half. How come Joe Hart decides to put in a performance for the first time in about two years today? Has his dandruff flared up so he needs the ad again?

I want to see the Wilf penalty shout as it was the other end from the HU, but.......

We respect the point, but I agree with Roy. The amount of chances we created we could have won it by two goals. However, this isn't the first time. We have to convert this stuff. Get this right and we will be out of the relegation zone by Christmas.

I also think Roy is exactly the person we need at the moment. He says it how it is and is also beginning to turn this into action.

I would have been pissed off to have left Selhurst today with nothing. If West Ham get narky then **** them. I think 6 minutes of added time was generous to them given how much time they wasted. A real amount of added time and we would have won it.

No. If you read the match thread at half time, he is the worst appointment ever made at any club. Sack him now and let Dougie play the kids.

Jim Cannon
28-10-2017, 06:11 PM

Seeing as he has been dropped for weeks I'm surprised you are surprised

Golf Boy
28-10-2017, 06:11 PM
Roy has to find some tactics to bring RLC into the game more. it is evident that he is going to make it happen by himself.

Jim Cannon
28-10-2017, 06:13 PM

I wondered who threw it, I only saw it landing!

TheCharmer1
28-10-2017, 06:13 PM
Luka has a bit of a habit of losing the ball softly for all his great play. Because he plays so deep it is usually costly.

cost us at least two goals this season

TheCharmer1
28-10-2017, 06:14 PM
I wondered who threw it, I only saw it landing!

he went mental. Physio took him off. Thank god he did! He's shit!

JDawg
28-10-2017, 06:17 PM
No. If you read the match thread at half time, he is the worst appointment ever made at any club. Sack him now and let Dougie play the kids.

Bizarrely enough, at half time we were having the next season conversation about RH and Dougie swapping roles and our favourite Championship away days (Ipswich).

Changed by full time. Roy has given us hope. The bastard!

sunshine lucas
28-10-2017, 06:20 PM
Was it a pen on Wilf before their first?I thought so on first look...

Cabaye was brilliant.

Need a clean sheet desperately.

Didnít rate Madley, but at least he didnít blow whistle before Wilf finally got the second.

Golf Boy
28-10-2017, 06:20 PM
Bizarrely enough, at half time we were having the next season conversation about RH and Dougie swapping roles and our favourite Championship away days (Ipswich).

Changed by full time. Roy has given us hope. The bastard!

It's the hope that kills you.

Golf Boy
28-10-2017, 06:21 PM
he went mental. Physio took him off. Thank god he did! He's shit!

serves him right for faking it then.

Golf Boy
28-10-2017, 06:21 PM
I prefer Schlupp at left back tbh.

jimmy the gent
28-10-2017, 06:24 PM
Imagine how good Wilf would be in a proper team.

DundeeFan
28-10-2017, 06:26 PM
Hart would have. It really was hit well, but straight at Speroni who was back peddling. A taller goalkeeper could have stood still and probably reached it. What was criminal was that he got the ball near the half way line and ran unchallenged to just outside the box where he had time to set himself up and shoot. All Ward had to do was get in front of him and force him wide.

A better keeper might have, but Joe Hart is piss poor.

sunshine lucas
28-10-2017, 06:29 PM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/dam/football/2017/10/28/TELEMMGLPICT000144979989_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqmRnaWIk zDVpCKltYOKrpmdAogu1dTFxxbfW9XOhWRyc.jpeg?imwidth= 1400

jimmy the gent
28-10-2017, 06:29 PM

Not today he wasn't. Good premiership keeper. Nothing more, nothing less. To think people were turning their noses up at the idea of getting him at Palace this summer...

glaziers fan
28-10-2017, 06:30 PM

hear hear

glaziers fan
28-10-2017, 06:31 PM
We saw the game in exactly the same way - we wrote almost exactly the same thing at the same time. I'm relatively optimistic about staying up IF we continue to show the same fighting spirit as of late. Our energy levels and commitment were hugely improved in the second half - they must have had a rollicking!! At some point fortune will smile in us too - so many golden chances somehow conspiring to stay out due to poor finishing, good saves and General rub of the green.

:p cheers. So unlucky not to win, but point will keep morale going. Excellent performance. With 28 games to go, that's what matters.

Golf Boy
28-10-2017, 06:31 PM
Not today he wasn't. Good premiership keeper. Nothing more, nothing less. To think people were turning their noses up at the idea of getting him at Palace this summer...

would have been three points today. Not just the keeping but i noticed in the first half he turned defense into attck with some ggod, quick distribution - something we never do from the keeper.

If Jules can get it into the opponents half and keep it on the pitch i'm happy.

Golf Boy
28-10-2017, 06:32 PM
hear hear

depends on the formation

gilesy14
28-10-2017, 06:33 PM

Cabaye excellent, following on from Chelsea game

Just showing own goal & co that theyíre talking absolute bollocks when they claim Hennessey is the better Ďkeeper...

Glad Yohan is finally starting to get the credit he deserves. Class player who improves us hugely.

exiledeagle
28-10-2017, 06:34 PM
Speroni - 6 - thought he was good. No fault for either goal.

PvA - another pathetic performance before he limped off. What a useless pussy.

Love Speroni but apart from goals he had nothing to do , not sure how you can say he had a good game .

PVA - He went off after 11 minutes , silly to say he was pathetic and a useless pussy .

16eagles
28-10-2017, 06:34 PM

Tomkins 6 Was ok
Dann 6 He was ok

Subs:

Decent Summary apart from 1st goal wasn't down to Ward. Loftus cheek- Cresswell was his man and was nowhere Roy won't be happy about that, your a right midfielder for a reason. Missed McCauthur.

Nostrils
28-10-2017, 06:36 PM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/dam/football/2017/10/28/TELEMMGLPICT000144979989_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqmRnaWIk zDVpCKltYOKrpmdAogu1dTFxxbfW9XOhWRyc.jpeg?imwidth= 1400
That photo is class.

JDawg
28-10-2017, 06:36 PM

He's a bastard as well. Been piss poor for two years and then it clicks today. But for him we'd have won that comfortably.

meee
28-10-2017, 06:39 PM
Glad Yohan is finally starting to get the credit he deserves. Class player who improves us hugely.

It baffles me the amount of stick he gets on here.We've got one poster on the Cabaye thread who posts practically every game about the fact he hasn't scored a worldie or played a 70 yard diagonal.Him and Zaha link up so well and are still our best players by some distance.

redandblue
28-10-2017, 06:40 PM
Decent Summary apart from 1st goal wasn't down to Ward. Loftus cheek- Cresswell was his man and was nowhere Roy won't be happy about that, your a right midfielder for a reason. Missed McCauthur.

I also thought that Dann could have got a tackle in

Danny_Cheviot
28-10-2017, 06:40 PM

Amazing picture. So many stories.

Penstone Eagle
28-10-2017, 06:42 PM
PVA - He went off after 11 minutes , silly to say he was pathetic and a useless pussy .

He is though. His attitude stinks.

JDawg
28-10-2017, 06:42 PM

That goes up there with Alan Lee scoring at Sheffield Wednesday and Damien Delaney with Diego Costa as the ultimate screensaver.

Skintagain
28-10-2017, 06:43 PM
It baffles me the amount of stick he gets on here.We've got one poster on the Cabaye thread who posts practically every game about the fact he hasn't scored a worldie or played a 70 yard diagonal.Him and Zaha link up so well and are still our best players by some distance.

He seems to last the whole game now whereas previously he was only good for about 70mins.
I guessing its because he doesn't have to fill the gaps left by Punchy and Mac.

exiledeagle
28-10-2017, 06:44 PM
http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11685/11103317/west-hams-mark-noble-was-furious-after-drawing-2-2-with-crystal-palace

Skintagain
28-10-2017, 06:45 PM

Great picture.

Penstone Eagle
28-10-2017, 06:45 PM
Lotus cheek poor for the second time in a week.
Townsend back to his usual poor end product and set piece delivery.
Dann faffed about too often.
Cabaye superb.
We remain a one man team in Wilf.

aj4england
28-10-2017, 06:46 PM
Jules 6

Fosu Mensah at Left back 3. Right back 8 - good power
Tomkins 8 - got stuck in
Dann - 6 distribution poor
Ward - 4 Cant cross for toffee

Cabaye - 10 unreal performance
Luka 5 - poor game, at fault for 2nd goal but good pen
RLC - 5.5 Really patchy - some great stuff but naff all defensively
Schlupp 4 - Awful passing. Did he touch the ball 1st half? Slightly better at LB
Wilf - 8 Our main threat but was off the boil for large parts but great goal. Zero protection
Townsend - 9 another fantastic performance would just love him to pop up with a goal

Bakary - 7. He is what he is. careless but also direct.

Shouldve won, almost lost. Need to improve. 11 corners and we had 2 CBs on the bench who shouldve come on for Schlupp last 10 for extra height

A point for a game that Bobby Maddley refs is a positve in my eyes

RobertCPFC
28-10-2017, 06:46 PM
Having scored so late makes it feel like a win.

In the first half I thought both sides were poor but we made two major errors. I sit just behind the Holmesdale goal and don't feel Jules could have done anything either goal. The defending was poor higher up the pitch. Did Wilf get fouled just before the first goal? It looked obvious to me but maybe from closer it didn't look that way.

In the second half we looked like a different team. It helped scoring early and putting West Ham under pressure. On another day we could have scored quite a few but Hart did better than I ever remember. We still had some chances that I don't know how they didn't go in.

According to my watch Wilf started going past the defenders with five second left before having the shot. That is leaving it very late but worth it now.

JDawg
28-10-2017, 06:47 PM
Do we play RLC or Macca?

Difficult one. Wasn't convinced by RLC today until the last 15 mins.

teesdale99
28-10-2017, 06:49 PM
Cabaye superb.
Wilf is undoubtedly our star but we are not a one man team. Townsend has been excellent, cabaye our best player this year. Benteke will score goals, hopefully we will see greater work ethic and fighting spirit from him too.

AddoWolz
28-10-2017, 06:54 PM
We'll Joe Hart was the man of the match obviously and we need a new keeper because either of the current two are not good enough.

Fitzie123
28-10-2017, 07:00 PM
Cabaye superb.

Rubbish! Townsend was brilliant in the second half. Loftus Cheek was one on the better players in the 1st half and admittedly went missing for a large part of the second half but still all in all I wouldn't say his performance was poor.

rambo1
28-10-2017, 07:01 PM
Though a Late Goal,from Wilf Zaha,the Point was the Minimum Deserved.
The amount of chances Created,Blocked,Hit the woodwork & saved,by Joe Hart,who was Man-of Match.
Though felt,Yohan Cabaye,was excellent.
Mamadou Sakho was a Huge Miss.

Malaga Eagle
28-10-2017, 07:05 PM
First half was a shambles
Referee a complete cunit
Mark Noble how come no yellow for at least three studs up tackles.
Can't be bothered anymore and im lucky only live 20 mins walk away

beef
28-10-2017, 07:05 PM
what wage is Hart on though? Must be mega-bucks for a 'good' goalkeeper

JDawg
28-10-2017, 07:06 PM
So Bilic is quoted saying that the draw "felt like a defeat". Were we watching the same game? Ok we sneaked the draw but.........

JDawg
28-10-2017, 07:06 PM
Referee a complete cunit

20 mins walk to Malaga? I know I'm a bit pissed atm but........

dave_who_ru
28-10-2017, 07:07 PM
That was Dann

Dann would have been one on one with ayew for the first goal too which is why ward came across as he's supposed to do. He wasn't at fault, normally Luka would have been picking ayew up in front of the back four there but it was a quick break

Well after two posters blamed Ward for both goals I'm glad someone cleared it up.

JDawg
28-10-2017, 07:08 PM
what wage is Hart on though? Must be mega-bucks for a 'good' goalkeeper

I suppose there has to be an adjustment now he has to buy his own shampoo.

alanlee11
28-10-2017, 07:09 PM

I think in this case you can't use the "respect the point" motto. Seeing as we only clinched it in the 96th minute. Id say that's "thankful for the point"

mean
28-10-2017, 07:10 PM

Watch Match of The Day tonight. Joe Hart was sadly far from piss poor. Three top class saves and decent kicking behind a shocking defence.

PalaceRichard
28-10-2017, 07:11 PM
As terrible as the first half was, the second was a fantastic effort full of commitment and in the end a draw was the very least we deserved if not a win. To be 2-0 down at half-time to literally the only shots at all that West Ham had was particularly galling, as poor as we were going forwards. The interesting thing was that the players were clapped from the field, and that positive response from the crowd continued to the momentum of the team after the break. The MOM could have been Joe Hart who produced some amazing saves and blocks, even if he didn't know much about one of them.

The were several talking points that I would need to see again on TV before making a final judgement.

Speroni - 6 - nothing to do, and can't really judge from where I was whether he could have done better for either goal. My impression was that it was a great finish by Ayew.

Ward - 5 - limited going forward and slows us down in attack. Not sure about the first West Ham goal, but Cresswell was in acres of space, and someone else totally lost Hernandez coming in from the left

Van Aanholt - injured early

Fosu-Mensah - 7 - good game from him, takes us further upfield, but needs the confidence to keep driving forward rather than stopping and looking to pass inside.

Dann - 6 - very little to do

Tompkins - 6 -very little to do, but why can't he score from point blank range? this wasn't the first time

Luka - 7 - dominated the space in front of the back 4 except in one crucial case, making a terrible error that cost us a goal. Shame for him but showed character to bury the penalty

Cabaye - 9 - (MOM) what a tremendous footballer, we are lucky to have him. Played with aggression, drove us on with many positive passes and so unlucky not to score on 2 occasions, hitting the post and forcing a great save from Hart from a free kick

RLC - 6 - looks short of confidence, but looked more positive towards the end. Did the difficult stuff and then failed to pick the easier option in the box a couple of times. Worth persisting with him I think.

Townsend - 7.5 - full of energy again, beat players wide and put a few good balls in. Won the penalty.

Zaha - 8 - in the first half he was getting frustrated, but as usual raised his performance and scared the daylights out of their defence, getting his just deserts right at the death. Brought the house down, and right now, he is Palace.

Sako - 7 - didn't look totally in control of the ball at times, but put in a shift winning a few corners and keeping up the pressure.

Hodgson - 7 - not sure why we were so tepid in the first half, but made the correct change with Sako.

The performances in the last 3 league games are encouraging but we should really have come out with more points, so we need luck to change as well. This last minute goal has to be an uplifting feeling for the team, management and fans.

cdm61
28-10-2017, 07:17 PM
Once again the lack of a striker shows what a disaster of a window we had.

If the team that finished had started we may have won. Finally we got rid of Ward and Tim at right back - what a difference, pace and accuracy with his passing.

Ward needs to go the way of Puncheon.

RLC got to play centrally and that meant he became the player we need with powerful runs from midfield into their defence.

Wilf could have scored more he had enough chances.

A point was what we deserved in the end but its still two dropped. We played some great football in the second half but no cutting edge let us down again - we had enough chances to get the 3-2 win.

Cant see us staying up - 10 games 4 points there will need to be another incredible transformation to make 38.

SW11 Andy
28-10-2017, 07:19 PM

Country mile, close second.....interesting.

mikethetie2010
28-10-2017, 07:19 PM
Our players and management must learn that ability alone will not keep us up. However if we work our nuts off. Show a bit of guts . Have a bit of luck along the way we do have enough ability to climb out of trouble. The 2nd half performance makes the 1st even more frustrating. Sometimes we have to be prepared to tackle a runner properly hard. Not dirty but hard. Noble is not my most popular player but by christ we need an enforcer like him sometimes. Or preferably 6 . Football is a contact sport and the sooner some of our defenders realise this the better. Damo may be slow but at least if he gets their you reckon he will win the tackle. If this happens at 3 pm rather than 4 pm even better. The positional play of our centre backs also puts to much pressure on the man on the ball. Mamadou always creates an easy option . I am dissapointed that the others havent learnt from him

Malaga Eagle
28-10-2017, 07:20 PM
20 mins walk to Malaga? I know I'm a bit pissed atm but........

Yeah i know it takes 30 actually without Stellios!!

Owngoal
28-10-2017, 07:22 PM
If only the team played like they did second half in the first. Andros was so much better second half as was TFM switching wings. Needs to start instead of Ward. Ward off form again and not sure how some can give Jules a 6 when the two times he was called to action he didn't. Ref should have given Wilf more. If only Sakho had played I think it might have been very different as we may not have opened up so easily. Great to get a point after that first half.

Krise
28-10-2017, 07:24 PM

dmf73
28-10-2017, 07:25 PM
Cabaye was so bloody good today..

Mom by miles.

Wilf always a threat

Andros never stopped running

RLC ran out of steam

Luka was a rock

But we so miss a striker

Naboo
28-10-2017, 07:27 PM
Cabaye excellent. I thought it was going to be one of those days for Wilf. Townsend and Luka good. TFM MUST start Rb ahead of Ward.

What is the point of Jeffrey Schlupp?

Skintagain
28-10-2017, 07:29 PM
That was Dann

Maybe I'm wrong I usually am, I'll be watching MOTD later to see which of them it actually was.

Robson
28-10-2017, 07:32 PM
Game of two halves.

Anyway ratings

Tomkins 6 - as above

Wilf 8 - quiet in spells, actually think heís wasted up top, love the man so much

Subs
Sako 5 - pony
Prospects now of staying up, Funky? Missed game; am in Cornwall.

Nth Kent Eagle
28-10-2017, 07:34 PM
A plea really for fans not to abuse individual players. It never helps. Thank goodness it didn't happen today.

DARZET EAGLE
28-10-2017, 07:35 PM
We'll Joe Hart was the man of the match obviously and we need a new keeper because either of the current two are not good enough.

Adrian is available, he'll never get past Hart save for injury.

DARZET EAGLE
28-10-2017, 07:37 PM
Referee a complete cunit

Keep your spirits up mate, the late goal and energy shown in the second half makes it all worthwhile. COYP.

Zulu84
28-10-2017, 07:41 PM
Game of two halves.

Anyway ratings

Tomkins 6 - as above

Subs
Sako 5 - pony

You had me in agreement until you said Sako was pony

alf
28-10-2017, 07:42 PM

Unfortunately for Palace he wasn't today:frown:

CPFC.1990
Feels like a good result, but then you look at the league table and you realise what a massively missed opportunity that was. We are rooted to the bottom and will remain bottom even if we win our next game and Bournemouth lose.

Stoke winning was a shock and puts them 7 points ahead of us!

We've got to try and get something at Spurs as I can see Everton and Swansea getting wins.

RisZero
Credit to Hart because he kept this from being about 8-2. Glad we rescued something because I think I would have been physically sick if we lost after how West Ham played.

Zulu84
28-10-2017, 07:43 PM
Maybe I'm wrong I usually am, I'll be watching MOTD later to see which of them it actually was.

You're not, Ward was massively out of position and then didn't have the speed to recover

cpfc4evandeva
28-10-2017, 07:43 PM
How far out was Sako's miss? A yard?

Skintagain
28-10-2017, 07:44 PM

Yep, just watched it on youtube, it's Dann.

Edit for Zulu: my original post was about Ward getting turned twice. It was Dann. No idea what was Ward doing.

JDawg
28-10-2017, 07:44 PM
Country mile, close second.....interesting.

I should lay of the JD before posting....

Green Bin
28-10-2017, 07:45 PM
Cabaye excellent. I thought it was going to be one of those days for Wilf. Townsend and Luka good. TFM MUST start Rb ahead of Ward.

As a left back.....not sure he knew what he was doing today, think PVA would be better further forward

Woosie
28-10-2017, 07:48 PM
Wilf wasn't really involved all that much today and then he goes and does that at the end. He's definitely matured into a much better player over the last 18 months and it's such a joy to see.

Thought Cabaye covered the entire pitch, Fosu-Mensah was largely excellent when he came on. His ability to read the game is great, and he gets back to do "emergency" defending so well.

Was great to see the West Ham fans' chant "Too shit for England" come back to bite them. One of their fans got evicted from the Whitehorse after celebrating their second goal a bit too vigorously.

Why did Noble get lairy at the end?

averity
28-10-2017, 07:57 PM
They are saying noble was pissed off with Antonio. Which is fair enough I suppose

TopKnot
28-10-2017, 07:59 PM

According to KUMB he was extremely pissed off with Antonio for giving the ball to Speroni Just before the equaliser instead of killing time in the corner.

Karma, after spending so much of the game time wasting and abusing Wilf.

old git
28-10-2017, 08:00 PM
I have been watching Palace since the early 70's and Wilf is fast becoming my favourite player to don the shirt.

Zulu84
28-10-2017, 08:05 PM
Yep, just watched it on youtube, it's Dann.

Edit for Zulu: my original post was about Ward getting turned twice. It was Dann. No idea what was Ward doing.

Ha, yea, read it too quickly and jumped in. As you said Dann got spun but even for that goal there was no one covering the left side or in front of Dann which left him extremely vulnerable.

I feel for ward because he is a good pro but unfortunately at this level he simply doesn't have the ability to cover the amount of ground necessary as a back. He was fine in a compressed formation like under Pulis but as soon as we stretch the field his lack of speed is exposed.

Nth Kent Eagle
28-10-2017, 08:08 PM
I have been watching Palace since the early 70's and Wilf is fast becoming my favourite player to don the shirt.

Always plays with passion, natural skill, proud to wear the shirt, local lad, plays better at Palace than at a bigger team, gives 100% in the shirt. I agree. Can't think of anyone who has done better.

Eaglez
28-10-2017, 08:09 PM
What happened with Van Aanholt? Went off in a right strop?

cpfcben
28-10-2017, 08:10 PM
West Ham view.
https://youtu.be/TcgqhUpEkw0

Thefunkymonk
28-10-2017, 08:15 PM
West Ham view.

Hahahahaha

Utter wankers. Despise them

Yoda
28-10-2017, 08:16 PM
What happened with Van Aanholt? Went off in a right strop?

Strop?

I guess we interpret things differently, but I thought he was frustrated/angry to be injured.

Neckinger Eagle
28-10-2017, 08:22 PM

If I was Noble I would get lairy just looking in the mirror.

COYP!

Mr Palace
28-10-2017, 08:22 PM
Love Speroni but apart from goals he had nothing to do , not sure how you can say he had a good game .

But that's what he is. Good riddance I hope.

KingClinton
28-10-2017, 08:26 PM
And drop Dann

Hasn't been good for 2 seasons.

Eagleinmk
28-10-2017, 08:28 PM
http://d2x51gyc4ptf2q.cloudfront.net/content/uploads/2017/10/28175852/Wilfried-Zaha-699x367.jpg

Loved Wilf attitude today, this was his response to West Ham's 'too shit for england' chant

Their fans are scum, spent more time attempting to antagonise Palace fans rather than watching the game

Spindle
28-10-2017, 08:29 PM
No keeper saves that second goal. Watch it again from behind ayew

Least of all Wayne Hennessey

Alfonso
28-10-2017, 08:32 PM
Cabaye MOTM for me! Ran everywhere and almost scored...

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
28-10-2017, 08:33 PM
Delighted with the comeback but we really need to start turning up for the whole match (and our first halves at Selhurst in particular are so often poor) if we want to get the wins we need to stand any chance of survival. Can't fault the effort to get back in to it though.

Spindle
28-10-2017, 08:44 PM
So Bilic is quoted saying that the draw "felt like a defeat". Were we watching the same game? Ok we sneaked the draw but.........

He should be delighted with the point

Ardent
28-10-2017, 08:44 PM
Cabaye superb.

That would be Wilf Cabaye then?

sylvan eagle
28-10-2017, 08:45 PM
Delighted with the comeback but we really need to start turning up for the whole match (and our first halves at Selhurst in particular are so often poor) if we want to get the wins we need to stand any chance of survival. Can't fault the effort to get back in to it though.

We was good against Chelsea

Yoda
28-10-2017, 08:53 PM
Thought I’d entertain myself by reading a WHU fans forum.

Went to the Knees Up Mother Brown site, and was surprised by the number of fair posts. Lots said we deserved the draw, if not to win.

Several criticised West Ham for wasting too much time in the second half, and that some ‘injuries’ that their players went down for were just embarrassing. (Hart had one near the end, despite his defender clearing the ball, not him.)

Some also mentioned that they enjoyed the stadium and atmosphere....understandable if they’re usually at the Olympic ground.

Spindle
28-10-2017, 08:56 PM
West Ham view.

Better than Arsenal TV

Spindle
28-10-2017, 09:03 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcXzgD7v2Sw

While it's still there

TheCharmer1
28-10-2017, 09:11 PM

hes a far better left back than PVA

Hal Low
28-10-2017, 09:12 PM
RL-C is annoying me at times, by sauntering around and drifting out the game for periods. But, then he suddenly comes alive for a patch and shows great skill and vision!

Showed fantastic attacking skill at one point in the second half. Beat 3 or 4 men down the right, got into the box and then made a fantastic defensive clearance - much to West Ham's relief. A great prospect but too often he seems to me as if he can't be arsed.

First half the team was poor. To many seemed scared of the ball - got rid of it too quickly and didn't go looking to support team mates who did have it. There was one point in the first half when Wilf had four West Ham snapping at his heels and no-one from Palace willing to help out. But what a change in the second half.

With Wilf playing as he did surely no-one else could be MoM - but I think Cabaye edges it.

Speroni should have done better with their second goal (yes - I know about the midfield cock up seconds before)

Nelson Muntz
28-10-2017, 09:15 PM
Jules - 6 - Not much chance with the second. Couple of good takes second half. You can see the players are more comfortable with him in goal.

Fosu Mensah - 6
Tomkins - 7 - Decent
Dann - 6 -
Ward - 5 - Somebody near me said he's shit. Someone else said he's not that good.

Cabaye - 9 - I'm going to bawl my eyes out when he leaves.
Luka 5 - Poor. Weak in the tackle and gave the ball away yet again for us to concede. Decent pen though.
RLC - 6 - Good and bad.
Schlupp 5 - ******* quick !
Wilf - 7 - Not really in it 1st half. Played the WHU fans well. Has to be careful in our own box, he'll concede a pen before the seasons out. Talisman
Townsend - 8 - Ran his balls off.

Bakary - 6 - Gave us something extra.

Ref: Piss poor.
WHU fans: Great for Wilf to get the last laugh.
Joe Hart: MOM

ebyeeckeagle
28-10-2017, 09:23 PM
I know people will go on about Wilf and Townsend, but really, if people still don't see the quality of Cabaye, then I give up.

ebyeeckeagle
28-10-2017, 09:24 PM
Ah. Muntzy. Spot on.

Owngoal
28-10-2017, 09:30 PM
Least of all Wayne Hennessey

WellSperoni never got it or the other goal so what is your point?

Sam Spade
28-10-2017, 09:30 PM
depends on the formation

No.The haters have to have someone to rant about. With Punch and Hennesey dropped Wardy was always going to get it. Formation? Not on the haters radar.

Reg_Maudling
28-10-2017, 09:38 PM
More impressed with tfm today looked energetic and fast going forward and made sure we didn't conceded on the break in the second half
Rlc again inconsistent some good bursts but coming in and out of the game
Andros excellent and underrated even
Sako looked clumsy although did win some corners
Cabaye excellent shows urgency and fight and good use of the ball esp from defence
Dann lacks pace and poor on the ball often to ponderous and means we go sideways or backwards at too slow a pace
Ward - very poor crossing substituting him for sako and switching tfm was a good decision from Roy
Would partner sakho and Tomkins now
Speroni looks like might have done better with first goal but his kicking was decent today and also I liked his urgency when starting attacks
Imagine if we had a keeper at Hart's level not even anything more
Pva - we were lucky he got injured
Schlupp Good effort although sometimes lacking in quality
Mili decent game although marred by his mistake for the second wham goal but again took his penalty well

alexcpfc
28-10-2017, 09:42 PM
I know people will go on about Wilf and Townsend, but really, if people still don't see the quality of Cabaye, then I give up.

If Cabaye plays well then Palace play well. That was his best performance in a Palace shirt and he stepped up when the chips were down. MOM by a country mile.

TFM should be our RB and Schlupp back to LB. Pleasing to see that there is spirit left in the team. We will be alright as long as we keep persevering.

jimmy the gent
28-10-2017, 09:48 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcXzgD7v2Sw

While it's still there

That first goal is appalling from ward. Caught woefully out of position, then slow in reacting, and when the ball is played across, if he's sharp he gets a foot out for that and puts it out for a corner. As bad defending as you'll see at this level. Needs replacing (and has done for 2 years)

Nelson Muntz
28-10-2017, 10:02 PM
If Cabaye plays well then Palace play well.

I have a saying.
'No Cabaye = No points'
Great to see him playing so well.

BLUE BOY
28-10-2017, 10:26 PM
Dreadful first half, total lack of urgency and tempo.
2nd half was what i want to see every game.
TFM needs to be replacing Ward pronto, offers so much more.
RLC needs the ball at his feet so he can drive forward.
Zaha and Townsend are wasted being used centrally, both need to be wide running at defenders causing panic. This means we need to play a striker so play either Sako or throw a youngster in.
Tompkins looked decent, maybe a better partner for Sakho.
Don't rate either PVA or Schlupp as left backs so another big weakness in my view.

BLUE BOY
28-10-2017, 10:27 PM
That first goal is appalling from ward. Caught woefully out of position, then slow in reacting, and when the ball is played across, if he's sharp he gets a foot out for that and puts it out for a corner. As bad defending as you'll see at this level. Needs replacing (and has done for 2 years)

Ward was ball watching, no awareness at all.

PeteCampbell
28-10-2017, 10:42 PM
Cabaye or Zaha are the obvious options but Fosu-Mensah deserves a lot of praise for his performance after he came on. He shouldn't be on the bench. Either play him at right-back or defensive-midfield but we should play him.

Stavros 69
28-10-2017, 10:44 PM
RLC is a fraud. Ducked every tackle, closed his eyes when heading the ball.
Looked after himself and not the team, showed up on 80 mins.
I'm sure he'd be great in a good team but wish we had Jimmy Mac who would at least bust his arse for the team.

cranesparkeagle
28-10-2017, 10:55 PM
GF harsh on Speroni no chance with either goal. My MOM was Cabaye who held the team together throughout, was desperately unlucky not to score and hardly missed a pass. Zahaa was close to MOM but see next part. He deserves his part of the blame. The team seemed to have a collective sulk for the first goal and forgot to track back. For the second if you back off like that you make a player look like Pele. Wonderful comeback with only Hart between us and a win. West Ham got the time added they deserved as one after another they sat down and feigned injury. What was Hart doing when nobody was near him.

Due to my needing an operation this was my first game since the Huddersfield cup tie. I am shattered after that. Thanks to the real struggle for points at the bottom we are not out of this yet but we have to stop giving teams 2 goal starts

MFBias
29-10-2017, 12:03 AM

That was Dann.

minch1
29-10-2017, 12:36 AM
Cabbaye was the best player on the pitch and for Palace Bakary Sako was the game changer. Both Battled and without those two we would have sunk. Zaha was the icing on the cake and Townsend and Loftus Cheek did well too but let's give Sako some credit. Tactically if we had had the formation we had at the end from the start we would have won.

minch1
29-10-2017, 12:40 AM
WellSperoni never got it or the other goal so what is your point?

Our defence looks more comfortable with Speroni on the pitch and his distribution is much better than Hennesey due to his confidence.

Hedgehog
29-10-2017, 12:54 AM
I believe PVA did think he was going to come back on. He was stretching his leg and positioning himself to come back on, when he was told he was being replaced. His facial expression and appearing to say "What?" when he realized he was being replaced made it clear he was surprised. Which is odd. Stormed past everyone to the dug out back row seats talking to himself.

All seemed a bit odd, as surely the physio and he would have discussed it on the field, or overheard his communication with the bench.

Hedgehog
29-10-2017, 12:59 AM
Obviously Luka let himself down with the **** up for the second goal, but he has such a sweat "ping" with his passing. None of those hitting it in the general direct of a team mate or giving them hospital balls.

I though he made a couple of nice, timely and clean tackles also that broke up WH's play.

Makes me nervous with the stutter step penalties, but at least he blast them, unlike what ever it is Benteke tries (or is that tried) to do!

Mr Bo Jangles
29-10-2017, 07:44 AM
Jules - 6 - No chance with goals, no other real saves.
Fosu Mensah (sub) - 7 gave us something different going forward
Tomkins - 7 - Solid, couple of goal chances
Dann - 5 - poor, rightly booked, didn't do enough for the second goal
Ward - 4 - Really poor game for Joel, total lack of confidence

Cabaye - 9 - Excellent, bar Hart best player on the pitch by a country mile
Luka 6 - Would have been 7 but at fault for second goal, worked hard always available, smart in the tackle.
RLC - 5 - Would have been less but for last 15 minutes, looked lost for most of the game.
Schlupp 6 did well, very versatile
Wilf - 7 - Poor first half but kept going second half and deserved the goal. Still looks a bit off the pace after his injury, some silly fouls he gave away
Townsend -7 - Didn't stop trying

Bakary (sub) - 6 - Gave us something different

Another chance of 3 points gone especially as we were so much better than them; we are going to need to go on a run of 2/3 wins on the trot and realistically it will have to be the matches after Spurs

Neckinger Eagle
29-10-2017, 07:57 AM
The first half was a write off, but the verve shown by Wilf, Andros, Cabeye, Sako, Timbo and late on by RLC in the second half gives me hope for the future.

west eagle
29-10-2017, 08:12 AM
The lack of height and combativness in the final 3rd for high balls is a real concern, very impressed with schlupp in the air to give us some challenge.
Let's be honest, Hart had the game of his season or we would have walked that game.

For me the finishing 11(with sakho) is our best option at the mo, Sako won 4 or 5 corners when he came on and gave far more balance to the team, keeping Andros and Wilf in their favoured positions out wide.

Mr Palace
29-10-2017, 08:23 AM
Showed fantastic attacking skill at one point in the second half. Beat 3 or 4 men down the right, got into the box and then made a fantastic defensive clearance - much to West Ham's relief. A great prospect but too often he seems to me as if he can't be arsed.

First half the team was poor. To many seemed scared of the ball - got rid of it too quickly and didn't go looking to support team mates who did have it. There was one point in the first half when Wilf had four West Ham snapping at his heels and no-one from Palace willing to help out. But what a change in the second half.

With Wilf playing as he did surely no-one else could be MoM - but I think Cabaye edges it.

Speroni should have done better with their second goal (yes - I know about the midfield cock up seconds before)

Absolutely not - it was a bloody screamer. No keeper was saving that.

Eaglez
29-10-2017, 08:32 AM
Strop?

I guess we interpret things differently, but I thought he was frustrated/angry to be injured.

Was in the main stand. Definitely a strop. Threw his shirt Away and had words with the physio.

Reg_Maudling
29-10-2017, 08:33 AM
Was in the main stand. Definitely a strop. Threw his shirt Away and had words with the physio.

i expect he knew he was in the last chance saloon for his place

and perhaps another player would have been given a chance to play on

st albans
29-10-2017, 08:35 AM

Really?? It was a hamstring injury wasnít it? No chance weíd risk playing him longer. Guy seems a bit odd

Mr Palace
29-10-2017, 08:40 AM
i expect he knew he was in the last chance saloon for his place

and perhaps another player would have been given a chance to play on

Hodgson was mad to start him. Now there is no reason to. TFM at right back and Schlupp st left back is the obvious choice.

adrenalin john
29-10-2017, 08:51 AM
Hodgson was mad to start him. Now there is no reason to. TFM at right back and Schlupp st left back is the obvious choice.

I think it has been obvious for a while. Their pace is such an asset breaking forward and covering break aways

minch1
29-10-2017, 08:55 AM
For me the game changed when Sako came on and gave us a willing running target man. He won us a number of corners and kept the pressure on them and managed to keep two of their defenders busy every time. Once he came on and Roy changed over our two backs there was only one team in it. It's pointless knocking long high balls with only Wilf and Andros up front because neither of them can head it. Sako was one of the few who had played on Tuesday against Bristol City where he also played well and yet against West Ham he was still full of running.

minch1
29-10-2017, 08:59 AM
I believe PVA did think he was going to come back on. He was stretching his leg and positioning himself to come back on, when he was told he was being replaced. His facial expression and appearing to say "What?" when he realized he was being replaced made it clear he was surprised. Which is odd. Stormed past everyone to the dug out back row seats talking to himself.

All seemed a bit odd, as surely the physio and he would have discussed it on the field, or overheard his communication with the bench.

Thank goodness he went off, because he shouldn't have been on in the first place after another poor performance on Tuesday.

Jim Cannons Moustache
29-10-2017, 09:06 AM
I think we need to be a little more gung ho from the start. Not team selection or anything just pace of play and risk taking.

We always start as if we've been told to keep possession, keep shape, try to be too methodical. And we are rubbish at it.

We play our best when we play like an ice hockey team. Breaking at pace in waves, people running with the ball at different angles, releasing the ball quickly from the back.
We have some great dribblers of the ball. Get it to them quick whilst they have space and let them cause havoc.

Against Chelsea we did it for 90 mins and it was great.
We should just leave the clinical, hold the ball and wear them down tactics to the Arsenals and Chelseas of this world and we should go for the chaos approach.

Mr Palace
29-10-2017, 09:09 AM
I think it has been obvious for a while. Their pace is such an asset breaking forward and covering break aways

Definitely. We looked so much better with both of them at full back.

adrenalin john
29-10-2017, 09:12 AM
Although neither is great positionally, that is coachable. And again their pace gets them out of trouble.

Schlupp simply doesn't have the skills to be an attacker at this level

Yoda
29-10-2017, 09:18 AM

Iím in Main Stand too.

Weíll have to disagree in our interpretation of his anger then.

I just donít think you can say definitively what happened with PVA unless you could actually hear what he said, which presumably you didnít as you would have posted it.

Iím not the only one who thought he was frustrated to be injured and therefore subbed, and had a flash of anger about it. Thatís not the same as being angry with the physio or disagreeing with the decision.

So his reaction can be interpreted in more than one way.

If he wasnít injured and didnít want to risk being subbed, then he wouldnít have gone to ground during play for so long and waited for treatment. If he felt the physio was wrong, he could have got up and jogged about to prove his fitness rather than walking slowly off.

He tossed aside a tracksuit top he was offered as he reached the dugout, not his shirt.

bodger
29-10-2017, 09:19 AM
JS 5 no mistakes but nothing much to do
Ward 4 below average
Dann 6
Tomkins 7
PVA should never have started
Wilf 9 extra point for goal top class
Cabaye 9.5 class player motm
Luka 5 bad for their goal so -2
AT 9 great workrate anothe class player
Schlupp 7 fast high workrate makes up for his shortcomings
RLC 5 no desire/workrate -2 he is far better then this

Sako 7 slow worked hard out of position +1 won corners once fit will be decent back up.
FM 6 better the Ward must learn to cross the ball.

Should have won Hart had a very lucky day as well as a very good day. From 0-2 a good result we need our best eleven on the pitch asap that means no Ward FM is better Ward is a good back up player.

Lombardo's hair
29-10-2017, 09:31 AM
It's funny or ironic that people are saying we need pacy full backs especially at home and state that ward isn't up to it.....well isn't that what FDB was trying to do and said about ward.....reportedly. I said many times that full back and wingback aren't different roles. It's a different mindset.
As to YC. His performance yesterday seems to have impressed a lot of people. To me he played how he normally plays....works his nuts off every game. Note he is often chasing dwn oposition backpasses. He is more noticeable as he has a bit more freedom with Luka behind him.
The team that finished the game should have been the one that started it Imo. And should start the next unless Sakho fit then he replaces dann

minch1
29-10-2017, 09:43 AM
It's funny or ironic that people are saying we need pacy full backs especially at home and state that ward isn't up to it.....well isn't that what FDB was trying to do and said about ward.....reportedly. I said many times that full back and wingback aren't different roles. It's a different mindset.
As to YC. His performance yesterday seems to have impressed a lot of people. To me he played how he normally plays....works his nuts off every game. Note he is often chasing dwn oposition backpasses. He is more noticeable as he has a bit more freedom with Luka behind him.
The team that finished the game should have been the one that started it Imo. And should start the next unless Sakho fit then he replaces dann

Agreed and if the team who finished had started, we would quite probably have won.

exiledeagle
29-10-2017, 09:54 AM
We always start as if we've been told to keep possession, keep shape, try to be too methodical. And we are rubbish at it.

My thoughts exactly .It is like we are so concerned with keeping our shape / position that we are reluctant to press forward . Generally this results in opposition having little pressure on their defence and we eventually end up a goal behind . With the pace of Zaha and Townsend I feel we should be more offensive from the start but with method not gung - ho .

Speroni 5 Nothing to do apart from the 2 goals
Ward 5 Not great but little protection in front of him
PVA N/A
Dann 5 Average but lack of pace is a concern
Tomkins 5 As above
Cabaye 8 Good game and lasted better
Milivojevic 7 Excellent but was at fault for goal
RLC 5 Has quality but drifts out of game and needs to track back
Schlupp 5 Looks bit lost to me
Zaha 8 Without him we would have no points
Townsend 7 Full of energy and heart

Fosu Mensah 6 Decent at right back but needs to improve decision making when passing
Sako 6 Helped change game

We looked better when Zaha and Townsend went wide and Sako although not ideal put pressure on West Ham . Sure I heard RLC has only started 5 league games - maybe that explains why he drifts out of games .
Tomkins 5

bodger
29-10-2017, 09:57 AM
Agreed and if the team who finished had started, we would quite probably have won.

Sako is not fast enough to be a winger good enough to be a striker or fit enough to be in our team.

minch1
29-10-2017, 10:04 AM
Sako is not fast enough to be a winger good enough to be a striker or fit enough to be in our team.

In my view he made an effective contribution today . Having also played well at Bristol City. He knows how to make space for our other forwards with his bustling and runs.

Langers
29-10-2017, 10:14 AM

Heís definitely fitter and Roy has done a good job with him so far. Letís hope he stays fit - he looks hungry 😋

Billyd
29-10-2017, 10:16 AM
If we had Hart and Hernandez we win that game 5-0.

Keeper and striker issue cost us big today.

Cabaye and Wild excellent. RLC I thought was very poor today.

Nostrils
29-10-2017, 10:16 AM

He's in the best shape he's ever been in since he's been here which seems to have coincided with his improved performances, funny that. I thought he did pretty well yesterday at hassling the defenders and keeping possession, we're going to need that from time to time until Benteke returns. I've also noticed he's one you'll always see cheering and applauding on the bench when we score a goal.

JackTheBiscuit
29-10-2017, 10:22 AM
If we had Hart and Hernandez we win that game 5-0.

Keeper and striker issue cost us big today.

Cabaye and Wild excellent. RLC I thought was very poor today.

This is so true. It is killing me watching a team that on that second half performance should be top 10 but is going to continue to struggle due to failings in the two most important positions.

In terms of Mom has to be Cabaye

bigend1
29-10-2017, 10:22 AM
A game of two halves alright.

We were poor first half but still the better side unbelievably, that's how bad West Ham were.

We actually, goals aside we're solid in the first half but horrible in posession. Wasted balls so often and I can't remember passing that badly since we've been promoted. Still, West Ham did less other than the goals.

First goal... wilf should have had a penalty, he was shoved over and it was more obvious than Townsends that was given! They break quickly, and to be fair it was the first bit of quality they had, it was good. Ward wasn't at fault. TFM was out of position on the left as was our midfield simply due to the speed of the counter attack. Ward had to come accross as ayew would have been one on one with Dann if he had not and that's what you have to do in that situation. Obviously that gave cresswell loads of space on the left and they finished a good move. Only critism was the penalty decision and maybe speroni could have got more on it but it was hit first time, full of spin and a difficault stop.

Second goal was the best goal he'll score. Did Dann but no chance for jules with that. Luka caught in posession which was poor and we were punished.

They did two things that weren't shit in that half and scored 2. We were so bad at passing we failed to score more. We were unlucky at times yes but so poor with the ball we deserved to be punished.

Half time and I'm worried. We played well against Newcastle, just lacking the forward to make it count and lost at the death. We've been unlucky with crucial injuries and punished late... we are now 2 down to a terrible West Ham who have done literally nothing, the first coming from a penalty we never got again and the second yet another player scoring a goal he'll consider his best against palace! We have enough games, with luck on injuries we have enough quality players to stay up but we need the fight and at half time I thought this was the game we lose that. Second half is do or die. Lose and I think we surrender and accept our fate as the heads drop.

Wow! What a second half! They gave everything! How unlucky can we be. It just felt like it was written for us to lose because they couldn't have given and done anymore. It was the quality that was missing from the first half. Hart denied us the win and possibly a thumping one we deserved.

All scored - 1 for the first half!

jules 6 - little to do. Maybe he could have got a stronger hand on the first goal but it was hit first time, hard and spinning probably a little harsh. Second goal was just a scorcher that slid under the roof of the net.

Ward 6 - not to blame for the first goal. He HAD to come across to cover Dann who was one on one with ayew if he hadn't, that's his job. The defence was pulled over as TFM was out of position due the speed of the break as so all defenders get pulled across to cover gaps. West Ham exploited that well, it was for Ruben to get back to cover crewell if that was physically possible. He had a few poor crosses in that first half, as did everyone for some reason. I suspect he was on due to the threat of carol in the air who didn't get on. Rightly subbed to get the pace of TFM going forward to the right side.

Dann 5 - actually had little to do aside from the goals. Done by ayew for the second but many would have been. Not sure how much better people would have done on here as they seem to expect when faced with a fast, tricky player running at full speed at you with options either side while you run backwards trying to cover the angles

Tomkins 6 - not a huge amount to do. Defence was organised well. Gets one more than Dann as didn't get done for the goal but also didn't get tested

Pva na

TFM 7 - looked ok on the left. Better on the right. Lots of pace, read the game well. Think he'll be our rb when the aerial threat is minimal. Ward in for games when we need the cover in the air

Luka 7 - poor for the second goal, that was soft. Otherwise he and cabaye bossed the midfield as they have in the last three games. Another fine penalty and how nice is it to feel like we will score those again?!

Cabaye 9 - MOTM everywhere again, lasting longer. Defensively everywhere and a nussaince, quality going forward. Unlucky not to score. He's been like this for a long time. Only player fighting when pardew was losing the players. Only vaguely decent player during Sam's start here. He's been fighting hard all this season and now with players around him getting back into it he and Luka are dominating games. Unrated by many on here because he has a strop and lost his scoring touch when he got here with some poor shots. Also of course because it took 2 years for many to understand he IS NOT AN ATTAKING MIDFIELDER!! But he's been the engine in our midfield for a long time and we'll overdue the credit for it. Love yohan

RLC 7 - anonymous for large parts of the game but has real quality on the ball. He needs to add more to his game to avoid disappearing but his driving runs, touch, passing, skill and vision are excellent. Just need more of it

Schlupp 6 - he's a nussaince and very very fast. His passing, crossing and shooting are poor but his effort is excellent. I like him but he needs to make a role his own. He may or May not ever have enough quality on the final ball. He'd be my left back at least until January.

Townsend 7 - another run run run performance. Final ball lacking a few times but he always gives his allo. Get benteke back and I love him on the left for crosses without the cut back

Wilf 9 - should have had the decisive penalty first half and got frustrated. Second half he was wilf, always a threat and scored a great goal in the 97th minute. You can see what it meant to him and everyone and psychologically that keeps us in it!

Sako 7 - a threat once he got going. I think we are seeing the best Sako since he signed. He looks fitter and more interested. Still not a central player but he's third choice behind andros and wilf. Enjoying the fact that bringing him on now isn't the feeling of giving up it used to be.

Thank fucj for that. Really felt cursed during that game. We've been the better side for 3 games and got 4 points. Really really should be 9 and would have been with a striker and/or a bit of luck. Of the 6 halves 5 have been excellent and we deserve more from them.

We are still in this and that goal, that bloody goals keeps us believing. The players are fighting for Roy and that's what decides our fate.

Before Chelsea we needed 4-6 points from these three games. We got the 4 though we deserved 9. With Ben and luck it might have been 9 but he's coming back. We are still vulnerable to key injuries but if we carry on like this + a striker we can get the points to take us into January with the fight in our hands. A keeper and a striker as a minimum and I really believe we'll be ok.

Kudos to the fans at selhurst, while the bbs was toxic the fans at selhurst sounded amazing and got at least some of the reward at the death.

Come on boys, let's have the most palace season in history!!!

glaziers fan
29-10-2017, 11:32 AM

Some prefer Puncheon :D

Olympian2
29-10-2017, 11:40 AM
Some prefer Puncheon :D

To be fair, the Punch promoters have been conspicuous by their silence (if that's not mixing my metaphors too much) over the last few weeks.

KungFuCharlie
29-10-2017, 11:48 AM
Sako did what Benteke has struggled to do - force centre backs out wide and nick corners. Bit like Cameron Jerome.

Very blunt, but quite effective. Useful for last 20mins.

Swoonara
29-10-2017, 11:51 AM
A game of two halves alright.

We were poor first half but still the better side unbelievably, that's how bad West Ham were.

We actually, goals aside we're solid in the first half but horrible in posession. Wasted balls so often and I can't remember passing that badly since we've been promoted. Still, West Ham did less other than the goals.

First goal... wilf should have had a penalty, he was shoved over and it was more obvious than Townsends that was given! They break quickly, and to be fair it was the first bit of quality they had, it was good. Ward wasn't at fault. TFM was out of position on the left as was our midfield simply due to the speed of the counter attack. Ward had to come accross as ayew would have been one on one with Dann if he had not and that's what you have to do in that situation. Obviously that gave cresswell loads of space on the left and they finished a good move. Only critism was the penalty decision and maybe speroni could have got more on it but it was hit first time, full of spin and a difficault stop.

Second goal was the best goal he'll score. Did Dann but no chance for jules with that. Luka caught in posession which was poor and we were punished.

They did two things that weren't shit in that half and scored 2. We were so bad at passing we failed to score more. We were unlucky at times yes but so poor with the ball we deserved to be punished.

Half time and I'm worried. We played well against Newcastle, just lacking the forward to make it count and lost at the death. We've been unlucky with crucial injuries and punished late... we are now 2 down to a terrible West Ham who have done literally nothing, the first coming from a penalty we never got again and the second yet another player scoring a goal he'll consider his best against palace! We have enough games, with luck on injuries we have enough quality players to stay up but we need the fight and at half time I thought this was the game we lose that. Second half is do or die. Lose and I think we surrender and accept our fate as the heads drop.

Wow! What a second half! They gave everything! How unlucky can we be. It just felt like it was written for us to lose because they couldn't have given and done anymore. It was the quality that was missing from the first half. Hart denied us the win and possibly a thumping one we deserved.

All scored - 1 for the first half!

jules 6 - little to do. Maybe he could have got a stronger hand on the first goal but it was hit first time, hard and spinning probably a little harsh. Second goal was just a scorcher that slid under the roof of the net.

Ward 6 - not to blame for the first goal. He HAD to come across to cover Dann who was one on one with ayew if he hadn't, that's his job. The defence was pulled over as TFM was out of position due the speed of the break as so all defenders get pulled across to cover gaps. West Ham exploited that well, it was for Ruben to get back to cover crewell if that was physically possible. He had a few poor crosses in that first half, as did everyone for some reason. I suspect he was on due to the threat of carol in the air who didn't get on. Rightly subbed to get the pace of TFM going forward to the right side.

Dann 5 - actually had little to do aside from the goals. Done by ayew for the second but many would have been. Not sure how much better people would have done on here as they seem to expect when faced with a fast, tricky player running at full speed at you with options either side while you run backwards trying to cover the angles

Tomkins 6 - not a huge amount to do. Defence was organised well. Gets one more than Dann as didn't get done for the goal but also didn't get tested

Pva na

TFM 7 - looked ok on the left. Better on the right. Lots of pace, read the game well. Think he'll be our rb when the aerial threat is minimal. Ward in for games when we need the cover in the air

Luka 7 - poor for the second goal, that was soft. Otherwise he and cabaye bossed the midfield as they have in the last three games. Another fine penalty and how nice is it to feel like we will score those again?!

Cabaye 9 - MOTM everywhere again, lasting longer. Defensively everywhere and a nussaince, quality going forward. Unlucky not to score. He's been like this for a long time. Only player fighting when pardew was losing the players. Only vaguely decent player during Sam's start here. He's been fighting hard all this season and now with players around him getting back into it he and Luka are dominating games. Unrated by many on here because he has a strop and lost his scoring touch when he got here with some poor shots. Also of course because it took 2 years for many to understand he IS NOT AN ATTAKING MIDFIELDER!! But he's been the engine in our midfield for a long time and we'll overdue the credit for it. Love yohan

RLC 7 - anonymous for large parts of the game but has real quality on the ball. He needs to add more to his game to avoid disappearing but his driving runs, touch, passing, skill and vision are excellent. Just need more of it

Schlupp 6 - he's a nussaince and very very fast. His passing, crossing and shooting are poor but his effort is excellent. I like him but he needs to make a role his own. He may or May not ever have enough quality on the final ball. He'd be my left back at least until January.

Townsend 7 - another run run run performance. Final ball lacking a few times but he always gives his allo. Get benteke back and I love him on the left for crosses without the cut back

Wilf 9 - should have had the decisive penalty first half and got frustrated. Second half he was wilf, always a threat and scored a great goal in the 97th minute. You can see what it meant to him and everyone and psychologically that keeps us in it!

Sako 7 - a threat once he got going. I think we are seeing the best Sako since he signed. He looks fitter and more interested. Still not a central player but he's third choice behind andros and wilf. Enjoying the fact that bringing him on now isn't the feeling of giving up it used to be.

Thank fucj for that. Really felt cursed during that game. We've been the better side for 3 games and got 4 points. Really really should be 9 and would have been with a striker and/or a bit of luck. Of the 6 halves 5 have been excellent and we deserve more from them.

We are still in this and that goal, that bloody goals keeps us believing. The players are fighting for Roy and that's what decides our fate.

Before Chelsea we needed 4-6 points from these three games. We got the 4 though we deserved 9. With Ben and luck it might have been 9 but he's coming back. We are still vulnerable to key injuries but if we carry on like this + a striker we can get the points to take us into January with the fight in our hands. A keeper and a striker as a minimum and I really believe we'll be ok.

Kudos to the fans at selhurst, while the bbs was toxic the fans at selhurst sounded amazing and got at least some of the reward at the death.

Come on boys, let's have the most palace season in history!!!

Great post!

glaziers fan
29-10-2017, 11:54 AM
Have watched again:

Ward is partly to blame for the first and second goals. I agree with some that he needed to cover the centre, but he also should have covered the right hand side more. And for the second goal he is nowhere either! He's just too slow. Must be dropped now, especially with how well TFM played.

Milivojevic played well, but I think he was also at fault for the first goal - too far forward leaving the back 4 exposed. Especially with a lack of pace on the right of our defence that will hopefully now be sorted with TFM and Schlupp.

Plus I have edited my marks for Tomkins and Dann. In hindsight I don't think Dann does enough. Tomkins is far more mobile and winning more headers from corners as well. I think Dann should be dropped when Sakho comes back.

Finally, RLC. 4 key passes, and much better when on the left. He was at fault for the first goal, and doesn't work hard enough, but he has such quality running with the ball. Would still have him in the team.

I feel Hodgson might finally know his side after this game. And that is excellent news for all of us.

IanH
29-10-2017, 12:03 PM
Plus I have edited my marks for Tomkins and Dann. In hindsight I don't think Dann does enough. Tomkins is far more mobile and winning more headers from corners as well. I think Dann should be dropped when Sakho comes back.

us.

Tomkins and Sakho is the best pairing we have - Allardyce used that pair during our winning run last season.

cranesparkeagle
29-10-2017, 12:37 PM
I wonder how many people at the ground changed their view on the game at all after seeing it on tv. I know, for one that I was quite unaware how good a couple of Harts saves were or even that he made 2 when we went close in the first half. I was unaware that Tomkins header was tipped onto the bar as was the guy next to me who kept saying he should have done better. I like to think PVA s reaction was just disappointment but this is not a time for us to be carrying players with a knock or whose fitness is marginal. I think those knocking Sako should look again. Rough and ready certainly but having Cresswell occupied and taking pressure off Zaha definitely helped. His most effective game for us(that I've seen). I recommend the Guardian report listed under News here. Summed up the game well for me.Oh and no pundits seemed to think Speroni was at fault for the goals that I could see. I think they were down to loss of focus for the first leaving our defenders outnumbered, rather like our equaliser. The second we lost the ball and then no one took responsibility to press the ball allowing the guy a free run and hit as if on the training ground

desperado
29-10-2017, 01:06 PM
Deservedly got a point out of yesterday's game against a poor West Ham side who only had two shots on target all afternoon

A couple of injuries showed by those in the starting eleven and bench how little quality we have in the squad

Yohan Cabaye was the best player on the pitch by a distance. His performance deserved a goal and he could have had two. Denied by the inside of the post and another good save by Joe Hart

Joe Hart had what must have been his best game for some time making several good saves. It's what happens when a club has a Premier League goalie who is on form. Swap the goalkeepers and we win that game four or five nil

Fosu-Mensah looked a better left back than PvA when he replaced him and he looked a better right back than Joel Ward when he later replaced him

Fans were great throughout especially in the second half. Bobby Madley had another terrible game. It seems the fans have forgotten the words to the 'shit referee' song

Speroni 5, Ward 5, Dann 6, Tomkins 7, van Aanholt, Luka 7, Schlupp 6, Loftus-Cheek 6, Cabaye 9, Townsend 8, Zaha 8

Subs
Fosu-Mensah 7, Sako 6

Dobbo
29-10-2017, 02:05 PM
With Cabaye getting 53% of the vote for MOM on here, how come the official site says Wilf was with 69%. Too much of a statistical error there.

Chris Finch
29-10-2017, 03:00 PM
one positive of having no striker currently is that we rarely hoof it forwards up in the air

Showed great fight to get the point but really WHU were there for the taking

Going to need some big scalps again this season

Malarkey
29-10-2017, 03:02 PM
one positive of having no striker currently is that we rarely hoof it forwards up in the air

Luckily we've already had one...

NorthPalace23
29-10-2017, 03:08 PM
Speroni 6 No chance with either goal. Distribution great for our equaliser.

Ward 5 Their 1st goal came from the right side. Pretty solid generally.
Dann 5 Should have taken Ayew out before he scored the 2nd. Good in the air. Pretty solid generally.
Tomkins 7 Very unlucky not to score twice.
Pva 5 Not on for that long.

Townsend 7 Grew into the game. Won the penalty. Involved in the build up to the equaliser.
Cabaye 8 Our best player. He was great in an attacking and defensive sense. Made us tick at times.
Milivojevic 6 Awful error for the 2nd goal. Nice penalty. Made some useful tackles and fouls.
Loftus Cheek 5 Felt he was a passenger at times. Weak in the tackle. Poor passing. He did look bright at times though and got in good positions. Assist for Zaha.
Zaha 8 Motm. Made one scored one. Amazing in the 2nd half. Didn't touch the ball much in the 1st half. He made the difference.
Schlupp 7 Did a good job defensively.

Subs:
Fosu Mensah 6 Great at right back going forward. I prefer a defensive full back like Ward but this player is a good option.
Sako 6 Had a positive impact. Probably should have scored.

Nostrils
29-10-2017, 03:17 PM

When we do finally have a bonafide striker, we will be used to playing whithout only hoofing balls into the box. It's the only good thing that can come out of this. With Benteke, Wickham or A.N.Other available we won't be so one dimensional, and may, just possibly be able to break teams down without requiring three at the back or tacka-tacka nonsense.

CPFC.1990
29-10-2017, 03:19 PM
Julian's energy and intelligence to get the game going was a real plus.

As soon as he had the ball he looked up and tried to get the play going again. It's so motivating for the team to see the urgency and desire in Julian to get the team going.

Reg_Maudling
29-10-2017, 03:20 PM
I am not yet missing the Delaney diagonal

alexcpfc
29-10-2017, 03:24 PM
With Cabaye getting 53% of the vote for MOM on here, how come the official site says Wilf was with 69%. Too much of a statistical error there.

How Cabaye was not MOM is quite simply unbelievable. Best player on the pitch by a country mile. That was his best game in a Palace shirt and Iíve said it before If Cabaye plays well then Palace play well.

EdMan
29-10-2017, 03:40 PM
Love it.

TcgqhUpEkw0

917L
29-10-2017, 03:40 PM
Tompkins seems to be getting off lightly regarding the second goal

Yes Dann got turned but Tomkins then turned away from the shot. Had he stood his ground the ball would have hit him, and not flown into the net.

Not the first time he has done this either

Sam Spade
29-10-2017, 05:24 PM
Have watched again.
I have edited my marks.

Be sure to let Roy know.

The Vicar
29-10-2017, 05:30 PM
I think West Ham may not have scored both goals had TFM been at right back...his pace and quickness could have made the difference.

glaziers fan
29-10-2017, 05:35 PM
Speroni 6 No chance with either goal. Distribution great for our equaliser.

Ward 5 Their 1st goal came from the right side. Pretty solid generally.
Dann 5 Should have taken Ayew out before he scored the 2nd. Good in the air. Pretty solid generally.
Tomkins 7 Very unlucky not to score twice.
Pva 5 Not on for that long.

Townsend 7 Grew into the game. Won the penalty. Involved in the build up to the equaliser.
Cabaye 8 Our best player. He was great in an attacking and defensive sense. Made us tick at times.
Milivojevic 6 Awful error for the 2nd goal. Nice penalty. Made some useful tackles and fouls.
Loftus Cheek 5 Felt he was a passenger at times. Weak in the tackle. Poor passing. He did look bright at times though and got in good positions. Assist for Zaha.
Zaha 8 Motm. Made one scored one. Amazing in the 2nd half. Didn't touch the ball much in the 1st half. He made the difference.
Schlupp 7 Did a good job defensively.

Subs:
Fosu Mensah 6 Great at right back going forward. I prefer a defensive full back like Ward but this player is a good option.
Sako 6 Had a positive impact. Probably should have scored.

No way should Sako have scored. It was behind him at head height. Very unlucky.

glaziers fan
29-10-2017, 05:40 PM
Be sure to let Roy know.

Well, he's dropped Puncheon. And makes so many decisions I agree with. So, yes, Roy is keeping a close eye on my posts don't worry. ;)

bodger
29-10-2017, 05:44 PM
He's in the best shape he's ever been in since he's been here which seems to have coincided with his improved performances, funny that. I thought he did pretty well yesterday at hassling the defenders and keeping possession, we're going to need that from time to time until Benteke returns. I've also noticed he's one you'll always see cheering and applauding on the bench when we score a goal.

No way he was in shape and had pace when he first came now he is slow and unfit. He did well to win a few corners looked lost when he was central he is a very good crosser of the ball FM and Ward could learn from him on that front.

glaziers fan
29-10-2017, 05:44 PM
I think West Ham may not have scored both goals had TFM been at right back...his pace and quickness could have made the difference.

Agreed. Could have covered Dann properly for the 2nd and got closer to Cresswell for the 1st. I don't think people realise what a game changer his sort of pace is. We will have a phenomenal XI for Everton (h). I don't think a lot of fans realise how good our squad is. Sticky start but we will stay up. We will be mid table by end of December with good luck.

bodger
29-10-2017, 06:29 PM
Agreed. Could have covered Dann properly for the 2nd and got closer to Cresswell for the 1st. I don't think people realise what a game changer his sort of pace is. We will have a phenomenal XI for Everton (h). I don't think a lot of fans realise how good our squad is. Sticky start but we will stay up. We will be mid table by end of December with good luck.

Yes l/b and r/b must have pace they are up against fast wingers most weeks. Ward gets targeted for that lack of pace, to be fair he has been a very good player for us and still is a good back up player. Our squad is a striker or two a goalkeeper and a winger away from being good, come next season if we stay up add a l/b and att midfielder or two as well so 100m or so to spend in the next two windows at the very least.

Mr Palace
29-10-2017, 06:35 PM

Our squad is poor. What is phenomenal about it? I don't even think we have a good XI - maybe a good 6 or 7 players at best. The squad is horrific after the 13th/14th first choice player. Major surgery needed in January.

Gosberton Eagle
29-10-2017, 06:43 PM
[QUOTE=NorthPalace23;13918668]Speroni 6 No chance with either goal. Distribution great for our equaliser.

Distribution hasn't always been Jules' strongest skill, but his speed and accuracy for our equaliser was crucial.

ct_
29-10-2017, 06:49 PM

Isn't the official site just a Twitter vote (by random people).

Yoda
29-10-2017, 06:57 PM
Isn't the official site just a Twitter vote (by random people).

Some, if not many, of whom might not have been at the match.

Nostrils
29-10-2017, 07:08 PM
No way he was in shape and had pace when he first came now he is slow and unfit. He did well to win a few corners looked lost when he was central he is a very good crosser of the ball FM and Ward could learn from him on that front.

Maybe not from when he first arrived, but certainly over the last 12 months, he's definitely lost weight, and gained pace because of it imo.

bodger
29-10-2017, 07:14 PM
Our squad is poor. What is phenomenal about it? I don't even think we have a good XI - maybe a good 6 or 7 players at best. The squad is horrific after the 13th/14th first choice player. Major surgery needed in January.
JS or WH
FM Tomkins Sakho Schlupp
Luka Cabaye
Wilf RLC AT
CB

McArthur Punch Dann Ward PVA

A good ten goalkeeper needed for a good eleven some good back up players given luck with injuries this team should stay up

Maiden Eagle
29-10-2017, 07:14 PM
We will be mid table by end of December with good luck.

Have you morphed into HDeagle ???

JDawg
29-10-2017, 07:17 PM
Love it.

TcgqhUpEkw0

Excitable chap.

Owngoal
29-10-2017, 07:44 PM
We have been better without Puncheon starting. Still think captaincy is a millstone round Danns neck and one of our two French players should take over, probably Cabaye as Sakho does his leadership bit of the defence anyway. With our best team out (TFM for Ward and Schlupp for PVA) and Benteke leading the line we will be able to beat a lot of teams. Not totally sure of Roy yet but he is our only manager to drop Puncheon who has needed it for two years.

Penstone Eagle
29-10-2017, 07:59 PM
Really?? It was a hamstring injury wasnít it? No chance weíd risk playing him longer. Guy seems a bit odd

Yep, strange chap I think. May be wrong but he seems a bit of a loner, or just disliked.

bigend1
29-10-2017, 08:12 PM
Just seen the stats for this game.

Not a stato but they do show why we thought we were cursed during the game when we weren't scoring. Keeping in mind how much we wasted posession in the first half we walloped them in the second!

Best team against Chelsea, Newcastle and West Ham... we are in this still. Keep doing that and get Big Ben back we'll be ok. Just gotta keep the faith

alanlee11
29-10-2017, 09:34 PM
build up to Wilf's goal is real nice, kudos to all involved.

Mr Palace
29-10-2017, 09:49 PM
JS or WH
FM Tomkins Sakho Schlupp
Luka Cabaye
Wilf RLC AT
CB

A good ten goalkeeper needed for a good eleven some good back up players given luck with injuries this team should stay up

But only two players in that squad - Wilf and Benteke - can score.

And of the back ups you mentioned, PvA, Puncheon and probably Ward aren't good enough. McArthur is a good pro but limited. Dann has seen much better days though I've always liked him. It's threadbare.

jobiinthelastmi
29-10-2017, 10:00 PM
I am not yet missing the Delaney diagonal

Delaney would have clattered Ayew before he got chance to wack that goal in.

Teams foul Zaha and Townsend all day long and since we've been promoted fouling our two wingers Zaha and then Bolasie on the halfway line was regularly done to stop us countering them.

The second Luka gave the ball away one of our defenders should have gone right through him.

The Vicar
29-10-2017, 10:12 PM
JS or WH
FM Tomkins Sakho Schlupp
Luka Cabaye
Wilf RLC AT
CB

Spot on, and the obvious key for us will be avoiding a lot of injuries to important players.

Hector
30-10-2017, 08:42 AM
Cabaye was superb, drove the team on and so very nearly scored

Zaha - talisman and the best player ever to wear a Palace shirt

Townsend - great energy and desire

JDawg
30-10-2017, 08:45 AM
We are nearly there but there is still to do. We drew 2-2 at home, the weed beat them 3-0 away.

danpalace07
30-10-2017, 09:45 AM
I can't work RLC out personally. Has moments of absolute class but does nothing for 30 min periods. Good passer when he feels like it tbf.

TFM defo the better loan, absolute class and should start. Really bought into Palace as well

Cabaye clearly MOTM for running the show and controlling our attempts to break WHU down, Wilf and Andros not far behind. Fair play to Sako for his effort coming on and for giving us something to aim for in the box. Thought Schlupp was good as well, supported the winger well

AJ
30-10-2017, 10:03 AM
I can't work RLC out personally. Has moments of absolute class but does nothing for 30 min periods. Good passer when he feels like it tbf.

I noticed this too, he is a luxury player as he really doesn't help out the team for the whole match. I think early on this season he was heads and shoulders above the rest of the team, but as the rest of the team have improved, he hasn't and now looks lazy or like he can't be bothered to get too involved. But as you noted he has the talent to be exceptional and will get an assist for Wilfs goal as it was his pass that set him up.

Reg_Maudling
30-10-2017, 10:10 AM
build up to Wilf's goal is real nice, kudos to all involved.

Townsend was important in that move for urgency and committing defenders and switching the play to rlc

That looked like some end product from him when I watched it

glaziers fan
30-10-2017, 10:22 AM
JS or WH
FM Tomkins Sakho Schlupp
Luka Cabaye
Wilf RLC AT
CB

Exactly. I think we are only weak in terms of the XI in the goalkeeper position. There are a few things we need to do over the next 2 transfer windows:

Sign 2 goalkeepers (a No1 and a youngster)
Sign a midfielder like Wilshere
Sign a young winger like Lookman
Get Cabaye to sign a new contract

I think we can challenge for the Europa League next season.

glaziers fan
30-10-2017, 10:28 AM

TFM defo the better loan, absolute class and should start. Really bought into Palace as well

Cabaye clearly MOTM for running the show and controlling our attempts to break WHU down, Wilf and Andros not far behind. Fair play to Sako for his effort coming on and for giving us something to aim for in the box. Thought Schlupp was good as well, supported the winger well

Except that RLC was our best player in his first 4 games for us! He is a classy midfielder. He is also very young and inexperienced. Cut the lad some slack. I agree that he hasn't been great this week. He needs to up his workrate and desire. But 4 key passes in the last one, and really drove us on in the last 20 vs Hammers, plus provided the assist.

I think he should play left midfield in our 4-4-2 formation. He can cut in when running with the ball, and he can drift inside to bolster the centre mid as well.

andyocpfc
30-10-2017, 10:29 AM
Nice pic this of Wilf and Andros - shows what it means to both.

http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/license/867472266

Andy this one of Fosu-Mensa. Loan or not, he clearly cares.

http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/license/867474476

Yoda
30-10-2017, 10:52 AM

Youíve written a similar post to my one.

TFM has great speed that helps him to rescue some mistakes, and desire. With more experience, bearing in mind heís 19, he could be quite some player. Shame heís not ours, as I think he could really suit us long term.

Jordan555x
30-10-2017, 10:54 AM
Cabaye but Zaha got the most important goal all season so far. Cabaye was our best player but for me if it wasnt for that goal we will be going down for sure

WLYWLYAWYPWF
30-10-2017, 11:02 AM
Nice pic this of Wilf and Andros - shows what it means to both.

http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/license/867472266

Andy this one of Fosu-Mensa. Loan or not, he clearly cares.

http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/license/867474476

Someone stood on Fosu-Mensahs toe.

Jordan555x
30-10-2017, 11:07 AM
Repost. Sorry.

Sceagle
30-10-2017, 11:18 AM
serves him right for faking it then.

He didn't fake it. He's done his hamstring. He was angry he got injured, not angry he got subbed. Good to see IMO.

Should be playing further up the pitch than Schlupp IMO.

Owngoal
30-10-2017, 12:41 PM
He didn't fake it. He's done his hamstring. He was angry he got injured, not angry he got subbed. Good to see IMO.

Should be playing further up the pitch than Schlupp IMO.

Prefer Schlupp overall for the fee paid as he will get better, PVA should be at his peak. Attitude seems to be either great or lacking. Wish we had got Brady

glaziers fan
30-10-2017, 01:05 PM
Thinking it through, it's probably the best draw I've ever witnessed for us at home. Not just the last minute goal and the fact my hero Zaha scored it. Or that it was a world class finish. Or that we came from 2-0 down.

But it felt like we have made real progress in other areas, especially the defence. TFM will surely start ahead of Ward vs Spurs after that performance. Schlupp's return to left back will add even more pace to the defence. And Tomkins showed that he's better than Dann. Hodgson made the right subs, and continues to make the correct decisions on the whole.

Once we have our 2 biggest signings back (Benteke and Sakho) we will have a very exciting team. It's been a miserable couple of years. I understand the negativity. But we are about to turn this around. Hopefully Hodgson can be here for 3 years and give us a bit of stability.

Jim's Cannon
30-10-2017, 01:08 PM
Sorry if it's been mentioned (I've looked around and couldn't see that it was) but how bad was Hernandez's attempt to get Tomkins sent off?

They squared up on the half way line, then as soon as the ball broke and they chased it shoulder to shoulder, he hit the deck pretending to have been elbowed in the face. Right in front of the inept linesman and West Ham fans.

I haven't seen it on TV (MOTD or Sky didn't seem to show it.).

To me it looked disgraceful simulation, but I may have been blinkered in the heat of the game!

Eagleinmk
30-10-2017, 01:30 PM
Sorry if it's been mentioned (I've looked around and couldn't see that it was) but how bad was Hernandez's attempt to get Tomkins sent off?

They squared up on the half way line, then as soon as the ball broke and they chased it shoulder to shoulder, he hit the deck pretending to have been elbowed in the face. Right in front of the inept linesman and West Ham fans.

I haven't seen it on TV (MOTD or Sky didn't seem to show it.).

To me it looked disgraceful simulation, but I may have been blinkered in the heat of the game!

Happened right in front of me and it wasn't entirely simulation, there was a bit of verbal between the two of them at the half way line, in the next phase of play Tomkins put his arm around Hernandez's neck and literally just threw him on to the floor.

The simulation was Hernandez lying on the floor holding his face when all Tomkins had done was given him a good cuddle!

Jim's Cannon
30-10-2017, 01:35 PM
Happened right in front of me and it wasn't entirely simulation, there was a bit of verbal between the two of them at the half way line, in the next phase of play Tomkins put his arm around Hernandez's neck and literally just threw him on to the floor.

The simulation was Hernandez lying on the floor holding his face when all Tomkins had done was given him a good cuddle!

Ah OK, thanks. I hadn't noticed Tomkins grab him.

Funny though that the West Ham fan at work said "Tomkins was lucky to stay on...."

aj4england
30-10-2017, 02:22 PM
Hernandez spent the whole game looking at the centre forward and jumping in to them and did it often to Tomkins who handled it well.

Had some words after Hernandez jumped into Tomkins when he cleared a header. Ball then went down the line and Hernandez runs into Tomkins with elbow leading and Tomkins shoves him off round the back off his neck.

Hernandez rolls around holding face. Gets up fine, no treatment needed!!!

Owngoal
30-10-2017, 02:48 PM
Hernandez spent the whole game looking at the centre forward and jumping in to them and did it often to Tomkins who handled it well.

Had some words after Hernandez jumped into Tomkins when he cleared a header. Ball then went down the line and Hernandez runs into Tomkins with elbow leading and Tomkins shoves him off round the back off his neck.

Hernandez rolls around holding face. Gets up fine, no treatment needed!!!

The benefit of learning at Man Unt from sporting icons

jmemour
30-10-2017, 02:50 PM
Would be quite happy to see Sako start next week. Pushing Townsend and Zaha wide with RLC through the middle seems to give us more threat. RLC is definitely not a right sided midfielder, and if we're going to keep the same shape then McArthur should come in for him if fit. RLC was very poor until he moved into the #10 role.

Martin H
30-10-2017, 05:30 PM
On a bad run at minute with 'life' getting in the way of the football and for the second week running I could only watch some of the match - doh - but eventually finished watching the whole game this morning. I won't do the whole review thing now as it is probably too late but a couple of things that stuck out for me watching it.

West Ham were pretty poor all the way through and constantly gave the ball away. TBH we often did the same but less so later on. They do look a mess.

Cabaye was majestic. A class above and working so hard despite that. Respect. I would say is probably the smartest footballer we have ever had (in the sense of reading and knowing what to do at any point in a match). Just bossed things and still had time to orchestrate those around him.

Wilf looked like a shadow of his normal self in the first half and I was actually wondering if he was injured or upset about something because he was too often just trotting around and rarely making runs for the pass or taking people on. Odd. The second half he certainly 'turned up' and looked great. His goal was just reward and if he can get those shots away, he has to score more often.

Schlupp (who had looked lost in recent games) had a far better match. Against Spurs I would still think about playing Ward at LB though. I would always have picked Timbo at RB anyway.

Luka jumped ( I only spotted it once, but its a start :) but still not at set pieces :() and played well except for that woeful error on the second goal.

I was surprised Hodgson didn't change things before HT. It really wasn't working and he really only shuffled shape at 60+ mins.

Their goals.

The first one seemed to be down to shape or communication, maybe both. In recent matches, FBs have played narrow with our wingers dropping deep as they attack wide. This leaves the middle 2 midfielders in front of the defence rather than being pulled quite so wide. Ruben really didn't do this despite holding the right side slot. Whether that was the plan or because he didn't understand it I don't know. So for the first, Joel was where he should be but Ruben wasn't. Joel after seeing it go wide could possibly have made an effort to get out wide but wouldn't have made it before the cross. Having accepted that, then you would expect it was key to cut out the cross - which all of our defence failed to do. Jules got a hand to it but wasn't strong enough vs the power. Not a bad miss/mistake, more a missed opportunity for an exceptional save.

We seemed to play the first half in this odd shape and it wasn't working.

The second was a silly mistake by Luka, some poor CB defending from Scott and a beauty of a shot. I don't think it was an easy save and it wasn't a dumb mistake. on Speroni's point but that unfortunately left him 2 in 2.