PDA

View Full Version : Maybe...

alanlee11
28-10-2017, 10:50 PM
I've vented about us having no striker, about our lack of a top flight quality goalie, the mess with FDB, the failure to develop a proper squad built for this division, it goes on.

But maybe, maybe this season we could pull off our biggest demonstration of "together our spirit is unbreakable" yet - I was ready to go down, but now I'm no sure, im ready to see us do something special, surely these players have it in them, surely we as supporters can set this league alight again with passion? It is going to be very tough, but it is exciting to image us pulling this off! Can we go into every march scrapping? Desperate for points and full of hunger. It could be magic if we do this, gotta believe.

Red and blue army march on!

cdm61
28-10-2017, 10:56 PM
10 games 4 points 20 games 8 points? Clearly no striker is the issue.

CPFC.1990
28-10-2017, 10:57 PM
Amazing what a last minute equaliser against a shitty West Ham can do for morale.

Let's just wait and see how we do against Spurs before we start proclaiming a new era.

alanlee11
28-10-2017, 11:00 PM
To be honest, im just drunk, we probably are going down.

Nostrils
28-10-2017, 11:01 PM
Amazing what a last minute equaliser against a shitty West Ham can do for morale.

Let's just wait and see how we do against Spurs before we start proclaiming a new era.

I don't think anyone's proclaiming a new era, but the character to come back in the position we're in is heartening. No striker or our two most expensive signings. Personally, I'm going to bask in every bit of positivity that I can, what's the point otherwise?

CPFC.1990
28-10-2017, 11:02 PM
To be honest, im just drunk, we probably are going down.

Of course we are but at least we've got another 28 games to see Wilf, Cabaye, Sakho etc...

CPFC.1990
28-10-2017, 11:03 PM
I don't think anyone's proclaiming a new era, but the character to come back in the position we're in is heartening. No striker or our two most expensive signings. Personally, I'm going to bask in every bit of positivity that I can, what's the point otherwise?

It's heartening but West Ham were so shit that it really feels like two points lost. We should have won that game.

Nostrils
28-10-2017, 11:08 PM
It's heartening but West Ham were so shit that it really feels like two points lost. We should have won that game.

True, it was a poor 1st half, but they weren't any better although the scoreline suggests otherwise. My real cause for optimism is the players themselves will start to believe, usually one goes in and it's game over. Mental strength has lost us so many games for a long time now.

PeterH
28-10-2017, 11:08 PM
A weeks break after Spurs. A chance to get Benteke back?

Not sure what happened with Dougies stone turning. Even if he couldnt uncover a striker, there must have been a keeper or any other kind of player available on a short term contract to improve the squad.

Cost cuttings could be made in the management team if we are planning for any clear outs of deadwood.

alanlee11
28-10-2017, 11:09 PM
Come on guys, that was a cool equaliser. All we want is more of those kind of moments. Makes it worth it.

4 cryingOutloud
28-10-2017, 11:44 PM
Looking at the table, any of the teams from 10th place down are all candidates for relegation and we all know how teams can have a run of good form after Christmas. Personally, I think we'll be okay, but it will require a few shrewd buys in January, and not on the last day.

greybot
28-10-2017, 11:46 PM
Come on guys, that was a cool equaliser. All we want is more of those kind of moments. Makes it worth it.

I know right. Felt like a win given the stick he received from the West ham fans for the majority of the game. :lux:

trufan
28-10-2017, 11:52 PM
Looking at the table, any of the teams from 10th place down are all candidates for relegation and we all know how teams can have a run of good form after Christmas. Personally, I think we'll be okay, but it will require a few shrewd buys in January, and not on the last day.

If we delay making signings in January I'll be astonished. All business sense and common sense will have completely disappeared. Bristol proved it, we have no strength in depth. A couple of mid to long-term injuries in the wrong areas and, without reinforcements, we can kiss all hope goodbye.

orp pisshead1
29-10-2017, 03:44 AM

Thatís the spirit :rolleyes:. RH is stabilising us as a team and the mentality of the squad.

orp pisshead1
29-10-2017, 03:44 AM

Spot on:p

orp pisshead1
29-10-2017, 03:47 AM

Imo we need to open the window with 3 Signings as we all know clubs line up signings ahead of the window officially opening.

brisbane_eagle
29-10-2017, 03:50 AM

We used to have a word for this - BOUNCEBACKABILITY!!:p

orp pisshead1
29-10-2017, 03:50 AM
We used to have a word for this - BOUNCEBACKABILITY!!:p

:lux:

Jason
29-10-2017, 05:58 AM

I'd have to agree with this. What we're seeing is a steady improvement in performance, and you get a sense that Hodgson is now close to the point where he consistently gets the best out of what he has. With a bit of luck on our side, we'd be sitting on 7 points now and things would look very different.

It's still a big ask to turn this round of course. We have no fit striker of anything resembling first team quality, and at the other end of the pitch we have two goalkeepers who are at best mid table championship players (due to age related decline in Jules case). Trying to grind out enough points to stay in touch until January in that scenario is going to be very difficult, and if it was anyone else in our position, we'd probably be saying they are down already.

But, if we can get a bit of luck, and avoid further injuries before January, we might just have half a chance. Even more than usual, the window is crucial though, and hopefully we have a keeper and striker lined up for the beginning of January, rather than waiting until the end

orp pisshead1
29-10-2017, 06:17 AM
I'd have to agree with this. What we're seeing is a steady improvement in performance, and you get a sense that Hodgson is now close to the point where he consistently gets the best out of what he has. With a bit of luck on our side, we'd be sitting on 7 points now and things would look very different.

It's still a big ask to turn this round of course. We have no fit striker of anything resembling first team quality, and at the other end of the pitch we have two goalkeepers who are at best mid table championship players (due to age related decline in Jules case). Trying to grind out enough points to stay in touch until January in that scenario is going to be very difficult, and if it was anyone else in our position, we'd probably be saying they are down already.

But, if we can get a bit of luck, and avoid further injuries before January, we might just have half a chance. Even more than usual, the window is crucial though, and hopefully we have a keeper and striker lined up for the beginning of January, rather than waiting until the end

Agree staying in touch is the key till January and need signings straight away.

Sharkba1t
29-10-2017, 07:44 AM

Exactly my thinking. Freedman better be working his sweaty Scottish bollox off right now looking for players to sign as soon as the window opens.

BringbackShipps
29-10-2017, 08:00 AM
If we delay making signings in January I'll be astonished. All business sense and common sense will have completely disappeared. Bristol proved it, we have no strength in depth. A couple of mid to long-term injuries in the wrong areas and, without reinforcements, we can kiss all hope goodbye.

This is how I felt in the summer as business sense suggested we needed to get off to a good start given the fixture list and our wrotten form last year...my head had nearly exploded by deadline day when the Niasse and Ronnow deals flopped. Expect the worst on our transfer dealings, and anything else is a bonus :D

west eagle
29-10-2017, 08:06 AM
Next 10 games will make or break our season, I'd say 8 we can realistically get points from and a bit of luck at Wembley and the Emirates we could be free of the bottom three.

old git
29-10-2017, 08:14 AM
We are right in it but are only four of safety. With a little luck we could have won our last three games and be sitting on nine points.Spurs next week will probably produce another thumping but after that we have a run of about eight games that could go either way,let's see where we are after that.

Scifo
29-10-2017, 08:18 AM
10 games 4 points 20 games 8 points? Clearly no striker is the issue.

6 games 0 points with a striker

4 games 4 points without a striker

May as well be honest here

thereichstuff
29-10-2017, 08:20 AM
True, it was a poor 1st half, but they weren't any better although the scoreline suggests otherwise. My real cause for optimism is the players themselves will start to believe, usually one goes in and it's game over. Mental strength has lost us so many games for a long time now.

Quoted the wrong post .

Thefunkymonk
After spurs we have a run of 8 fixtures where we face Everton, Stoke, Brighton, wba, Bournemouth, Watford, Leicester, Swansea.

Now despite being one of be most pessimistic there is.. I see 15 points there... if we can do that, we go into our xmas period with 19 points. With Benteke back after international break I am starting to feel more positive. We could of easily capitulated yesterday, but we had fight.. something we have lacked recently

thereichstuff

Well said :p

TWELLSEagle
29-10-2017, 08:29 AM
I don’t think we will go down. The next 10 matches, not the first 10, will tell us though.

Nigelbrag
29-10-2017, 09:00 AM
Many of us including myself have been critical of what has gone before this season, and the Bristol game summed it all up.
But in fairness judgement on Roy Hodgson needs to be on our last Three league games and the improvement we have seen as His methods kick in, which has yielded Four points and this achieved with the incredible situation of NOT having a Striker to call on for several weeks. Also lets not forget it took Sam Allardyce what was it 8 games to kick start his turnaround.
More to the point is we are starting to see the improvement, spirit and belief in the teams attitude and performances that has been created by this turnaround, make no mistake this is only a small bit of hope with such a long way to go, but is really heartening to see and really does give us hope of pulling off the unlikely and unexpected.
Next week's game is going to be so crucial not in the sense that i am expecting a win as we have to be realistic, but a good hard working team performance against a free flowing Spurs side will give us a huge boost and who knows what may happen, but it will be a fillip for some of the winnable games we have coming up to Christmas, and then we can look at the January transfer window with real optimism.

Thefunkymonk
29-10-2017, 09:07 AM

Personally think we would of won both yesterday and Newcastle with a striker

IanH
29-10-2017, 10:35 AM

A striker clearly helps but you have to have a decent striker for the Premier League (we have other strikers who we could play but they are not considered good enough for the Premier League (Ladapo and Kaikai)) and you need a decent striker thatís in form. We played something like 12 consecutive league games with Benteke up front and he and the team only scored in 1 of those games. Since he has been out we have scored 4 goals in 3 games.

MFBias
29-10-2017, 11:29 AM

6 games 0 points 0 goals with a striker.

4 games 4 points 4 goals without a striker.

Levski
29-10-2017, 11:38 AM

Definitely true about the window. But as for the table, in reality I don't see the likes of Everton, Stoke, WBA, Leicester, or even West Ham as realistic relegation candidates. I think they all have decent squads, with strength in depth and will get their acts together.

Swansea & Bournemouth do look weak and I would expect them to stay down there all season. But that's only two clubs. We desperately need Brighton (obviously) and Huddersfield to slide. It's worrying that they have 11/12 points already. I'd have predicted they would have about 6 or 7 tops, so I think this is a real problem for us. Watford and Burnley also massively exceeding expectations. Worrying.

trufan
29-10-2017, 11:39 AM
6 games 0 points 0 goals with a striker.

4 games 4 points 4 goals without a striker.

Watching Tammy Abraham at Swansea, among others, suggests strongly that Benteke is a very bad fit for us. Our man creates next to nothing for himself, is shockingly immobile, seems to lack aggression and an ability to read the game - and even appears more likely to miss than score when presented with a decent opportunity on the deck.

January can't come soon enough. Hopefully we'll find someone who can do what Big Ben does, while adding some of the many features missing from his game.

norwoodeagle
29-10-2017, 01:44 PM
A point a game average over the season will get us 38 points.
We are way off track at the moment and I look to the next 9 games, halfway through the season. Can we win 5 of the next 9 games? This would put us back on track and be a great performance. I'll be happy with 4 wins from the next nine games and that will be a good platform for the second half of the season.

the digger
29-10-2017, 01:57 PM
Alternatively, 4 points from the last 3 games. If we continue that form, we get 41 points.

trufan
29-10-2017, 02:48 PM
Add Murray to the list of strikers currently looking a better bet than Benteke on what we've seen this season. :( Improving this area is key for me. Goals are still inordinately hard to come by for us.

st albans
29-10-2017, 03:04 PM
Watching Tammy Abraham at Swansea, among others, suggests strongly that Benteke is a very bad fit for us. Our man creates next to nothing for himself, is shockingly immobile, seems to lack aggression and an ability to read the game - and even appears more likely to miss than score when presented with a decent opportunity on the deck.

January can't come soon enough. Hopefully we'll find someone who can do what Big Ben does, while adding some of the many features missing from his game.

A fit wickham

trufan
29-10-2017, 03:20 PM
A fit wickham
A rare sight.

Jason
29-10-2017, 06:54 PM
Alternatively, 4 points from the last 3 games. If we continue that form, we get 41 points.

Exactly. And interestingly, that 1.33 points per game has been roughly Hodgson's average in his less successful spells in the Premiership. With a bit of luck injury wise and a couple of decent signings early in January, there's no reason why we can't achieve this given our recent upturn in performance.