PDA

View Full Version : Murray was not good enough ...

Pages : [1] 2

redandblue
29-10-2017, 02:56 PM
Yeah right total ****witts !

st albans
29-10-2017, 03:02 PM
Great idea for a thread

Scifo
29-10-2017, 03:05 PM
Very few people wanted him gone, but at the time some could see a logic to it.

We had 5 strikers on the books at the time: Wickham, Bamford, Murray, Gayle & Campbell.

No one in their right mind would have put Campbell ahead of Murray but there was a case for the rest* and the fact we were being offered a decent fee for a striker who you expected to be in the wain there was some sense to it.

I'll not start claiming most people were happy with him leaving, just that some could understand it.

Also bear in mind that in the last 5 years we have made a profit on the following players only:

Bolasie, Gayle, Murray, Jedinak & Mandanda**

Fans expect us to balance the books by selling off the likes of Mutch and Lee. That isn't going to happen. Nobody wants them. You can only make money on the players other teams actually want.

* I know Bamford was unbelievably shit and Wickham is a crock, but try to look at it without your 20-20 hindsight

** I believe there as a minor profit there

redandblue
29-10-2017, 03:10 PM
Very few people wanted him gone, but at the time some could see a logic to it.

We had 5 strikers on the books at the time: Wickham, Bamford, Murray, Gayle & Campbell.

No one in their right mind would have put Campbell ahead of Murray but there was a case for the rest* and the fact we were being offered a decent fee for a striker who you expected to be in the wain there was some sense to it.

I'll not start claiming most people were happy with him leaving, just that some could understand it.

Also bear in mind that in the last 5 years we have made a profit on the following players only:

Bolasie, Gayle, Murray, Jedinak & Mandanda**

Fans expect us to balance the books by selling off the likes of Mutch and Lee. That isn't going to happen. Nobody wants them. You can only make money on the players other teams actually want.

* I know Bamford was unbelievably shit and Wickham is a crock, but try to look at it without your 20-20 hindsight

** I believe there as a minor profit there

Time makes you think differently and hindsight sight is of course a wonderful thing and something that all fans have (or remember having :))

We all knew he was better than Campbell and Gayle and Wickham I will give you but surely our scouting network should have seen enough of Bamford to see he was a pile of poop

st albans
29-10-2017, 03:12 PM
I know he’s scored today, but he’s been pretty poor

Malarkey
29-10-2017, 03:13 PM
Lucky goal due to crap goalkeeping after a ref's mistake.

rhiannapaul
29-10-2017, 03:15 PM
Could never understand not giving Gayle and Murray a go ..but past is past we stayed up ..even wasting millions on Adebayor wages Pardew was a dick

grand aigle
I know heís scored today, but heís been pretty poor

Id like someone that poor playing up front for us, at least he scores goals....Wickham, Benteke both injured uninterested and wastes of space

Yoda
Great idea for a thread

Yeah, not like itís been done to death before is it!

Jeez, some people just canít move on can they.

grand aigle
29-10-2017, 03:16 PM

Not when his replacements spend all their time in the treatment room or just being crap!

Scifo
29-10-2017, 03:16 PM
but surely our scouting network should have seen enough of Bamford to see he was a pile of poop

I'll give you a caveat there, Bamford wasn't playing every minute before Murray was sold. I can't recall if it was through injury or if Pardew didn't fancy him by that stage already.

If he was giving up on Bamford by that stage then you would have to would have to wonder why he would sell Murray

st albans
29-10-2017, 03:21 PM
Id like someone that poor playing up front for us, at least he scores goals....Wickham, Benteke both injured uninterested and wastes of space

Sorry, Iíd completely forgotten how many goals Benteke scored last season and generally in the prem...

CPFC.1990
29-10-2017, 03:22 PM
Murray was no way good enough for us at that time. Neither was Gayle. Neither was Jedinak.

At that point in time we needed better than Glenn Murray. Benteke is better in every department, unfortunately the rest of the team just cannot provide him with the service he needs.

Watch how effective Benteke was for Villa. All down to excellent service provided from all over the pitch. At Palace this season he has not been the focal point. We have a genuine World Class striker but don't utilise his play in our attacks, beyond crazy.

Thefunkymonk
29-10-2017, 03:23 PM
Murray wanted to go.

Close thread

Thefunkymonk
29-10-2017, 03:23 PM
Murray was no way good enough for us at that time. Neither was Gayle. Neither was Jedinak.

At that point in time we needed better than Glenn Murray. Benteke is better in every department, unfortunately the rest of the team just cannot provide him with the service he needs.

Watch how effective Benteke was for Villa. All down to excellent service provided from all over the pitch. At Palace this season he has not been the focal point. We have a genuine World Class striker but don't utilise his play in our attacks, beyond crazy.

Yep

rhiannapaul
29-10-2017, 03:24 PM
Benteke isnt world class

eaglejez
29-10-2017, 03:24 PM
it was a terrible terrible decsion selling him
made things much worse for us, got Brighton promoted, kept Brighton up

CPFC.1990
29-10-2017, 03:25 PM
Could never understand not giving Gayle and Murray a go ..but past is past we stayed up ..even wasting millions on Adebayor wages Pardew was a dick

Gayle will never be a Premiership starter because he doesn't work hard enough without the ball. Doesn't make runs...

CPFC.1990
29-10-2017, 03:25 PM

These will be the same people calling Parish sentimental.

CPFC.1990
29-10-2017, 03:27 PM
Benteke isnt world class

Of course he is. But like when we had Lombardo, we don't play the quality to compliment his game.

in-exile
I know heís scored today, but heís been pretty poorDoes a Striker need to do anything more?

grand aigle
Sorry, Iíd completely forgotten how many goals Benteke scored last season and generally in the prem...

and for the last 12 games???

Thefunkymonk
HE WANTED TO GO

CPFCalifornia
Murray wanted to go.

Close thread

This.

I love Muzza but he wanted out for more of a chance to play.

grand aigle
29-10-2017, 03:29 PM
Benteke isnt world class

not even close...if he was he wouldnt be at Palace

Thefunkymonk
29-10-2017, 03:29 PM
and for the last 12 games???

He is the most isolated striker in the premier league. Granted heís has 2:3 decent chances this season but confidence is shot to pieces.

He is top class. Play to his strengths and service/support him and heíll score 15-20 a season without a doubt just like he did last year despite us being crap. Somenting murray etc will never do at this level

grand aigle
29-10-2017, 03:31 PM
He is the most isolated striker in the premier league. Granted heís has 2:3 decent chances this season but confidence is shot to pieces.

He is top class. Play to his strengths and service/support him and heíll score 15-20 a season without a doubt just like he did last year despite us being crap. Somenting murray etc will never do at this level

If its that easy, why aint we doing just that?? Murray is closer to scoring 15 goals this season than Benteke is!

Penstone Eagle
29-10-2017, 03:31 PM
HE WANTED TO GO

Because Pardew said Wickham was to learn from Murray, clearly bollocks because he dropped Murray.

Piss poor man management.

in-exile
29-10-2017, 03:33 PM

He is top class. Play to his strengths and service/support him and heíll score 15-20 a season without a doubt just like he did last year despite us being crap. Somenting murray etc will never do at this levelHe needs it put on a plate.. sell on and buy Tammy Abrahams.

Malarkey
29-10-2017, 03:33 PM
**** him. Weed scum.

Coastal Palace
29-10-2017, 03:34 PM
Murray is the best striker we've had at Palace for a long time.
And then Benteke came along.

macstar
29-10-2017, 03:35 PM
HE WANTED TO GO

Pardew just said live on tv that it was his and the chairman's mistake selling him.

CPFC.1990
29-10-2017, 03:36 PM
He's a Brighton legend now, time to move on.

Nothing like Agent Sir Steve.

Thefunkymonk
If its that easy, why aint we doing just that?? Murray is closer to scoring 15 goals this season than Benteke is!

Murray wonít score 15 goals this season

jmemour
Benteke scored 17 goals last season.

Thefunkymonk
The sentiment really blinds a lot of folk

macstar
This.

I love Muzza but he wanted out for more of a chance to play.

shouldve remained first choice. Shite from pardew.

in-exile
29-10-2017, 03:37 PM
**** him. Weed scum. just like Stevie Coppell? ...... Your logic has problems.

Thefunkymonk
Pardew just said live on tv that it was his and the chairman's mistake selling him.

It was.. it left us short.. the mistake was not replacing him adequately at the time

eaglejez
this **** about him wanting to go. He allegedly wanted first team football. wtf does that even mean. He should have been told he's one of our regular strikers. Making him feel not wanted is part of the crapness of the policy. It was stupid and practically all of us knew it. It was arrogance not wanting him and letting him go

Tim
Yeah right total ****witts !

Totally agree fella. Hes nearly scored as many as our entire team.

Scoring goals for Brighton...

in-exile
29-10-2017, 03:38 PM
The sentiment really blinds a lot of folk Have you now moved on to goalkeepers?

grand aigle

neither will Benteke at his current rate! Ok he can be good, if he was interested it would help....at present he looks like he wants out in January

Coastal Palace
I used to love Murray but we've got a much classier striker in Benny Boy.
Old Glenn is making the most of his final top flight days. Bless him.

Thefunkymonk
29-10-2017, 03:39 PM
neither will Benteke at his current rate! Ok he can be good, if he was interested it would help....at present he looks like he wants out in January

:wallbash:

Zero service. Honesty I give up with some people...

We had this with cabaye.. people digging him out because he don’t run around as much as someone else.. seems some want headless chickens over ability

17 goals last season.

CPFC.1990
29-10-2017, 03:40 PM
just like Stevie Coppell? ...... Your logic has problems.

Taken from Sir Steve's wiki;

"Coppell did get an emotional return to Palace, being applauded into his dugout, despite taking charge of Palace's arch-rivals in the game. Palace won the match 5Ė0. Some Brighton fans accused Coppell of deliberately capitulating[6] which he denied."

:lux:

Thefunkymonk
29-10-2017, 03:40 PM
Have you now moved on to goalkeepers?

:D

To be fair.. same with them.. same with Jedi..

DocSavage
29-10-2017, 03:41 PM
murray would have scored a hat full if still at palace

hope he's slightly injured for mid November

grand aigle
29-10-2017, 03:41 PM
:wallbash:

Zero service. Honesty I give up with some people

Yeah you said zero service....why? If its so simple why doesnt Roy address the problem? If the ball isnt directly on his head he doesnt move he just waves his arms about and moans!

macstar
29-10-2017, 03:43 PM
It was.. it left us short.. the mistake was not replacing him adequately at the time

and Wickham getting injured shortly afterwards, unlucky... although with Wickhams history its not a surprise.

grand aigle
29-10-2017, 03:43 PM
murray would have scored a hat full if still at palace

hope he's slightly injured for mid November

Put money on him to score against us! Easy money! guaranteed! He'll be well up for it, will Benteke?

Mr Palace
29-10-2017, 03:44 PM
Ridiculous decision to sell which is being proved over and over again. But some of our fans prefer Wickham. Bizarre.

We got too far ahead of ourselves as a club and prematurely sold some real leaders.

Thefunkymonk
Yeah you said zero service....why? If its so simple why doesnt Roy address the problem? If the ball isnt directly on his head he doesnt move he just waves his arms about and moans!

Because Benteke isnít on the pitch for it to be addressed...

No idea why people dislike Benteke.. weíve been crying out for a striker like him for years.. we get it, he bangs in 17 goals last season (more than Gayle and Murray ever did in PL) and people moan about him. So boring.

Once heís fit, with both wilf and Townsend servicing him and probably playing closer to him heíll score plenty

Supermarioj
Murray was great for us in our promotion season, top scorer across all four divisions that year. Had a serious knee injury but recovered, we loaned him out to Reading and he scored goals for them. He came back and scored goals for us but we sold him to Bournemouth where he scored goals. They loaned him to the Weed where he scored goals and got them into the Prem. Great business.

Malarkey
just like Stevie Coppell? ...... Your logic has problems.

Murray is there now.

My logic has zero problems.

macstar
29-10-2017, 03:45 PM
this **** about him wanting to go. He allegedly wanted first team football. wtf does that even mean. He should have been told he's one of our regular strikers. Making him feel not wanted is part of the crapness of the policy. It was stupid and practically all of us knew it. It was arrogance not wanting him and letting him go

..exactly, and even if he did want to go, we didnt have to sell! I remember Dann and Delaney on Goals in SUnday a couple of weeks later saying what a shame it was for the team that he had gone.

grand aigle
29-10-2017, 03:46 PM
Because Benteke isnít on the pitch for it to be addressed...

No idea why people dislike Benteke.. weíve been crying out for a striker like him for years.. we get it, he bangs in 17 goals last season (more than Gayle and Murray ever did in PL) and people moan about him. So boring.

Once heís fit, with both wilf and Townsend servicing him and probably playing closer to him heíll score plenty

He was on the pitch for the first 5 games and did nothing! Dont dislike him at all, just hoped for more from him THIS YEAR! not last season but now! Hope youre right about him scoring loads, not holding my breath !

macstar
29-10-2017, 03:47 PM

we'll speak in May lol.

At this rate he'll score 12ish.... and of course he was only a sub in the first 6 games.

SA Eagle
29-10-2017, 03:48 PM
Murray was great for us in our promotion season, top scorer across all four divisions that year. Had a serious knee injury but recovered, we loaned him out to Reading and he scored goals for them. He came back and scored goals for us but we sold him to Bournemouth where he scored goals. They loaned him to the Weed where he scored goals and got them into the Prem. Great business.

3 in 19 in the PL for Bournemouth; not exactly a great record. At that stage £4m looked decent business.

Thefunkymonk
29-10-2017, 03:49 PM
He was on the pitch for the first 5 games and did nothing! Dont dislike him at all, just hoped for more from him THIS YEAR! not last season but now! Hope youre right about him scoring loads, not holding my breath !

Because we were really good in first 5 games...

Dunno why your not holding your breath.. bloke has a 1 in 2 goalscoring record at this level..

Thefunkymonk
29-10-2017, 03:50 PM
we'll speak in May lol.

At this rate he'll score 12ish.... and of course he was only a sub in the first 6 games.

Haha. He won’t. Today’s goal was terrible goalkeeping. I love muzza. Shouldn’t f sold him without replacing him but it’s done. He wasn’t in first team plans and wanted to go.. think some need to let it go.

spt1978
29-10-2017, 03:53 PM
Funny old game, 3 weeks ago the Brighton board had threads saying that he should be dropped because he is not good enough.

Maz
29-10-2017, 03:57 PM
Funny old game, 3 weeks ago the Brighton board had threads saying that he should be dropped because he is not good enough.

Bournemouth the same. Which I presume is why they loaned him out.

grand aigle
29-10-2017, 03:57 PM
Because we were really good in first 5 games...

Dunno why your not holding your breath.. bloke has a 1 in 2 goalscoring record at this level..

Maybe so but right now he has a 0 in 12 scoring record,(to stay at 1 in 2 he needs 12 in the next 12 games, lets hope he does that) and whatever you say he has had chances.....and fluffed them all, just expected more from him...he should have scored 3 or 4 this season from the chances hes had....but 0 so far! I do hope he comes good but lets wait and see

cpfc4evandeva
29-10-2017, 03:58 PM

It's weird how people can argue this.

cpfc4evandeva
29-10-2017, 03:59 PM

Yep.

jimmy the gent
29-10-2017, 04:01 PM
Murray out, Adebayour on probably double his wages in. Another masterstroke from Parish.

SA Eagle
29-10-2017, 04:02 PM
Maybe so but right now he has a 0 in 12 scoring record, and whatever you say he has had chances.....and fluffed them all, just expected more from him...he should have scored 3 or 4 this season from the chances hes had....but 0 so far! I do hope he comes good but lets wait and see

It's 0 from 6, not sure you can count games he hasn't played in.

Thefunkymonk
29-10-2017, 04:03 PM
Maybe so but right now he has a 0 in 12 scoring record,(to stay at 1 in 2 he needs 12 in the next 12 games, lets hope he does that) and whatever you say he has had chances.....and fluffed them all, just expected more from him...he should have scored 3 or 4 this season from the chances hes had....but 0 so far! I do hope he comes good but lets wait and see

Well heís not played 12 has he

Thefunkymonk
29-10-2017, 04:03 PM
It's weird how people can argue this.

Nobody is arguing. Itís done.. nearly 2 years ago.

People need to move on

Oli28
29-10-2017, 04:06 PM
Murray out, Adebayour on probably double his wages in. Another masterstroke from Parish.
Funny that Freedman gets the credit for signing him and Parish gets the blame for selling him.

Coastal Palace
29-10-2017, 04:08 PM
This biggest cock up wasn't selling on Murray for a big profit.
The biggest cock up was not signing another striker this summer due to the fact we only had one recognised one.
Who then got injured.

st albans
29-10-2017, 04:10 PM
Does a Striker need to do anything more?

Yes, of course he does

Oli28
29-10-2017, 04:11 PM
The biggest cock up was not signing another striker this summer due to the fact we only had one recognised one.
Who then got injured.
What was it, £4 mil? That's peanuts at this level, we should've kept him to see if he had another couple of seasons in him if that's the money on the table.

st albans
29-10-2017, 04:13 PM

I donít think we should read anything in to the De Boer games. He would have scored against Newcastle and West Ham, guaranteed. Weíre playing much more to his strengths now

Coastal Palace
29-10-2017, 04:17 PM
What was it, £4 mil? That's peanuts at this level, we should've kept him to see if he had another couple of seasons in him if that's the money on the table.

Yep and then he did nothing at Bournemouth. In the meantime we got an international striker who scored 17 in the top flight for us.
I like Murray but him and his old legs won't carry on to do that well.

CP-RJW
29-10-2017, 04:19 PM
The mistake wasn’t selling Murray, it was failing to replace/upgrade him with a 5-10 million back up striker.

grand aigle
29-10-2017, 04:21 PM
Well heís not played 12 has he

ok 0 from 6 this season, how many at the end of last season? Fair enough, we need 6 from 6 from him then if/when he returns.

grand aigle
29-10-2017, 04:22 PM
I donít think we should read anything in to the De Boer games. He would have scored against Newcastle and West Ham, guaranteed. Weíre playing much more to his strengths now

Yeah now hes not playing! Brilliant tactics!

Harry Holmesdale
29-10-2017, 04:23 PM
He wanted to leave

cpfc4evandeva
29-10-2017, 04:28 PM
He wanted to leave

So have loads of other players throughout the years, including Zaha about a year or so ago.

When it's a good player, you try to convince them to stay. He was/is a good player and I think that saying he wanted to leave it an easy out.

Thefunkymonk
29-10-2017, 04:29 PM
Who then got injured.

Yep.

dave_who_ru
29-10-2017, 04:37 PM
Yep and then he did nothing at Bournemouth. In the meantime we got an international striker who scored 17 in the top flight for us.

Glenn got 3 in 19 league games for Bournemouth when our joint top scorers got 5 each that season so not a lot to shout about.

redandblue
29-10-2017, 04:39 PM

Says the bloke with a user name for 1979 :)

the digger
29-10-2017, 04:54 PM
Brighton look a lot more effective (opta needs to find a way of measuring "effectiveness") with him in the team. He occupies defenders, retains possession and attacking shape, and gives focus to their play. He may not score loads of goals but he'll get a few while bringing other players into the game. The club got way ahead of itself thinking that he (like Jedinak) weren't valuable to the first team.

macstar
29-10-2017, 04:57 PM
3 in 19 in the PL for Bournemouth; not exactly a great record. At that stage £4m looked decent business.

cant really explain that....could it of just been a dip in form? Or maybe Bournemouth are more tippy tappy, yes definately dont play the long ball or put many crosses in. I put that down to it being a wrong fit...probably what Pardew and Parish were thinking too, but palace playing tippy tappy will never work.

917L
29-10-2017, 05:04 PM
FFS was easily good enougjh, and shipping him out was a big mistake. We would have been far better off had he still been here now.

aj4england
29-10-2017, 05:09 PM
FFS was easily good enougjh, and shipping him out was a big mistake. We would have been far better off had he still been here now.

Spot on

jimmy the gent
29-10-2017, 05:12 PM

B'mouth was always a poor club for him. he thrives on delivery from the wings, which he'd have got at palace, and is now getting at BHA.

jimmy the gent
29-10-2017, 05:15 PM
The club got way ahead of itself thinking that he (like Jedinak) weren't valuable to the first team.

Just another example of Parish's arrogance, along with the 'we've got a better squad than Burnley', 'this squad is bursting with talent', 'what if the sun doesn't come up', 'we've got to look to europe not just fight relegation' and the 'dutch revolution'.

CPFC.1990
29-10-2017, 05:17 PM
Jedinak couldn't run after 60 mins as this league was too demanding. He went at the right time.

jhc
29-10-2017, 05:20 PM

He wasn't getting enough game time and wanted to go.
Yes, he'd get plenty of that for us now, but hindsight is a wonderful thing!

Expat Eagle
29-10-2017, 05:23 PM
Put money on him to score against us! Easy money! guaranteed! He'll be well up for it, will Benteke?

Do you reckon he'll celebrate it? :eek:

JDawg
29-10-2017, 05:26 PM
made things much worse for us, got Brighton promoted, kept Brighton up

Sorry. Is it May 2018 and I've missed the season? How did we do?

The Vicar
29-10-2017, 05:28 PM
Must say, he did look good the last 2 matches...

and he is outscoring Benteke at the moment in a newly promoted team no less.

eaglejez
29-10-2017, 05:29 PM
Sorry. Is it May 2018 and I've missed the season? How did we do?

we know how this ends

Brighton stayed up

We went down with 31 pts

Oli28
29-10-2017, 05:36 PM
The mistake wasnít selling Murray, it was failing to replace/upgrade him with a 5-10 million back up striker.
Id say the mistake was selling a player who's still scoring in the Premier League for less than what Jordan Mutch cost us.

JDawg
29-10-2017, 05:44 PM
we know how this ends

Brighton stayed up

We went down with 31 pts

That's the spirit.

JDawg
29-10-2017, 05:48 PM

Very possibily but we'll never find out.

Remember also that he would have consented to go to Bournemouth. The manager at the time bought an expensive striker so there would always be the issue of game-time. Perhaps Murray took this into account when he decided to take the Bournemouth offer. It isn't all one-sided.

the digger
29-10-2017, 05:52 PM
Jedinak couldn't run after 60 mins as this league was too demanding. He went at the right time.
We’ve missed 60 minutes of Jedinak more times than I care to count.

sideburns7
29-10-2017, 06:08 PM
Foolish to get rid of Murray,I know Warnock sent him off to reading but he was called back
But I think supa al got rid
Scoring goals for palace.
Dwight Gale aswell
You couldn't make it up

sideburns7
29-10-2017, 06:09 PM
Gayle before the spelling Nazis

cpfc4evandeva
29-10-2017, 06:15 PM

Check the transfer thread from when he left. Plenty in there saw that this transfer was a poor move by the club - that's not hindsight.

Zohar's Penalty
29-10-2017, 06:24 PM
Should never have been sold. Quality player even at this level and we have nobody. Another error to ay to the catalogue the club has made in the last couple of years.

That said, Glenn Murray is Brighton more than he is Palace, so he is now outside our tent pissing in, in spite of all the good he did for us, **** him. Just another Brighton wanker now.

Golf Boy
29-10-2017, 06:28 PM
Tbh who thought he’d still be premier league in 2017/18?

Golf Boy
29-10-2017, 06:29 PM
Mind you he was always better than Wickham

dim
29-10-2017, 06:32 PM
Good enough for what?

He was literally better than any of the strikers left at the club when he moved. He is also better than any (fit) option currently at the club.

It was a MISTAKE. Look on the bright side, some people at the club didn't want to re-sign Wilf on a permanent.

Malarkey
29-10-2017, 06:47 PM
Scoring goals for palace.
Dwight Gale aswell
You couldn't make it up

this isn't how the song went

bodger
29-10-2017, 06:50 PM

Yes third choice striker was not for him so no mistake. He has done well for Brighton but had games at a lower level to find his form something he would not and did not get at Bournemouth or us.

SOUTHGATE EAGLE
29-10-2017, 06:59 PM

Funny how you think Murray wasn't good enough for us, nor Gayle, yet Benteke just needs better service. I've been saying since minute one back in the Prem that the thing we needed to improve most was our service.

One of the reasons Benteke scored well last season was Zaha became the player we hoped he'd be and far more accomplished in terms of the final ball. Gayle and Murray saw little of that and instead saw Zaha and Bolasie doing a million step overs, missing the window to cross and then generally delivering into row Z.

The number of goals created from a pass from central midfield to the striker has now improved so that we actually get a couple in a whole season. But it was a solid zero number of midfield created goals for the first few seasons, which again did bugger all good for both Murray and Gayle. All they had was the often futile hope that the wingers might sling over one decent cross per match. And some of us used to wonder why our strikers weren't scoring.

I'd have rather kept them both and stated repeatedly at the time that we'd do better to save the money on Benteke and bring in a top drawer AM plus a central midfielder with drive and guile -like a quality version of Guedioura. We didn't and, as I also predicted, we got only a fraction of what we could have gotten out of Benteke last season, although it was enough and came mainly from a massive improvement in Zaha in the second half of the season. It certainly had little to do with creativity in the center of midfield.

I still believe we will go down before investing heavily in the technical and creative midfielders able to slot a pass to the striker. That's a prime reason why we haven't gone forward an inch in three years and why only Benteke has done well for us since he can at least score from crosses. Yet we still remain heavily reliant on Zaha's fitness and performance for Benteke to score goals. Hopefully a fully fit RLC can help us produce something consistently from the midfield to aid Benteke upon his return. Maybe we'll even buy RLC instead or a specialist no10. Then again, the fact we are renting RLC and our previous and laughable policy to stick with Puncheon in that position for two miserable, failing seasons shows amply how much we value investing in the creation of goals from the center of the team.

But, in summation, it was always our midfield letting Murray and Gayle down rather than visa versa, IMHO. The fact that we had some of the poorest goal chance statistics from open play shows where the failure always was.

Cpfcbob
29-10-2017, 07:42 PM
Murray is a battering ram that has scored goals continuously throughout his career.
If he plays today in the premier league and scores goals, he's good enough period.
He's a grafter and has a much higher work rate than Benteke but would far prefer CB in my team all day long.

Murray career goal ratio is 0.37 (scores more than 1 goal every 3 games)
Bigben career goal ratio is 0.38 (a wincy bit better than GM)

red&blue_moomin
29-10-2017, 07:46 PM

Because our entire defence bar Sakho seem to think lumping it long with no accuracy or control like it's a hot potato is the way to service our main goal threat. All that driving at the opposition backline and ball to feet is something for them 'pwopa' football teams or summat.

Even yesterday there was a lot of crossfield hoofs. It smacks of unimaginative championship footballers to be honest. Look at the goal we scored no hoofing involved. It winds me up hugely because we just waste the ball by handing it straight back to the opposition. We have players like Wilf, Townsend, Sako, Shlupp, PVA, TFM, RLC so driving at the opposition playing through balls for the other attacker to run onto down the channels round the back of the defence causing fouls and getting us up the pitch works so much better when they bother to do it.

red&blue_moomin
29-10-2017, 07:55 PM
Funny how you think Murray wasn't good enough for us, nor Gayle, yet Benteke just needs better service. I've been saying since minute one back in the Prem that the thing we needed to improve most was our service.

One of the reasons Benteke scored well last season was Zaha became the player we hoped he'd be and far more accomplished in terms of the final ball. Gayle and Murray saw little of that and instead saw Zaha and Bolasie doing a million step overs, missing the window to cross and then generally delivering into row Z.

The number of goals created from a pass from central midfield to the striker has now improved so that we actually get a couple in a whole season. But it was a solid zero number of midfield created goals for the first few seasons, which again did bugger all good for both Murray and Gayle. All they had was the often futile hope that the wingers might sling over one decent cross per match. And some of us used to wonder why our strikers weren't scoring.

I'd have rather kept them both and stated repeatedly at the time that we'd do better to save the money on Benteke and bring in a top drawer AM plus a central midfielder with drive and guile -like a quality version of Guedioura. We didn't and, as I also predicted, we got only a fraction of what we could have gotten out of Benteke last season, although it was enough and came mainly from a massive improvement in Zaha in the second half of the season. It certainly had little to do with creativity in the center of midfield.

I still believe we will go down before investing heavily in the technical and creative midfielders able to slot a pass to the striker. That's a prime reason why we haven't gone forward an inch in three years and why only Benteke has done well for us since he can at least score from crosses. Yet we still remain heavily reliant on Zaha's fitness and performance for Benteke to score goals. Hopefully a fully fit RLC can help us produce something consistently from the midfield to aid Benteke upon his return. Maybe we'll even buy RLC instead or a specialist no10. Then again, the fact we are renting RLC and our previous and laughable policy to stick with Puncheon in that position for two miserable, failing seasons shows amply how much we value investing in the creation of goals from the center of the team.

But, in summation, it was always our midfield letting Murray and Gayle down rather than visa versa, IMHO. The fact that we had some of the poorest goal chance statistics from open play shows where the failure always was.

But we concede an enormous number of goals from set pieces. Since we signed Benteke and Wilf has started coming into his own it's not goals that have been the problem it's a basic inability to defend and our defenders (although they are improving, well the newer ones) inability to pass to a Crystal Palace player. We scored 50 goals last season the same number as Man U and good enough for a top 8 position. BUT the difference is we conceded 60 and each season we hover around 50 + goals conceded. I'd suggest that sorting our gopingly shite defence out is the priority. Welding JW, WH, PVA and maybe even SD to the bench would be a good start.

Jim Cannon
29-10-2017, 07:56 PM
Of course he is. But like when we had Lombardo, we don't play the quality to compliment his game.

Total bollocks, if he was world class he would have cost a lot more than 30M, would be at a bigger club than Palace and would be a nailed on starter for Belgium too

Golf Boy
29-10-2017, 07:58 PM
Murray is a battering ram that has scored goals continuously throughout his career.
If he plays today in the premier league and scores goals, he's good enough period.
He's a grafter and has a much higher work rate than Benteke but would far prefer CB in my team all day long.

Tbf, cb could screw that up a notch with a few seasons at Rochdale.

Golf Boy
29-10-2017, 08:03 PM

But what contract was he offered? Not only 4 million but we would have to have stumped up 40 k a week for four and and half years.

alanlee11
29-10-2017, 08:11 PM
Murray wanted to leave.

west eagle
29-10-2017, 08:31 PM
Bournemouth let him go as well,

CPFC.1990
29-10-2017, 08:47 PM
Weíve missed 60 minutes of Jedinak more times than I care to count.

Last 6 months of his time at Palace he was a liability.

the digger
29-10-2017, 08:57 PM
Last 6 months of his time at Palace he was a liability.

My point is that, as with Murray (and arguably the keeper situation), when we have strengthened the first team we have weakened the squad by letting 2nd choice players go and retaining third choice. As a result, we have left ourselves with players who canít ďdo a jobĒ when called on. To this day, Iíd rather see Murray, Jedinak and Mariappa on the bench than Ladapo, Mutch and Kelly.

dim
29-10-2017, 09:08 PM
^
This.

With bells on.

eastend eagle
29-10-2017, 09:22 PM
Not quite as simple as that though. Are those players happy to sit in the reserves? Is it healthy to have a strong character like Jedi around if he's not getting game time?

S.P.R.
29-10-2017, 09:33 PM
But we concede an enormous number of goals from set pieces. Since we signed Benteke and Wilf has started coming into his own it's not goals that have been the problem it's a basic inability to defend and our defenders (although they are improving, well the newer ones) inability to pass to a Crystal Palace player. We scored 50 goals last season the same number as Man U and good enough for a top 8 position. BUT the difference is we conceded 60 and each season we hover around 50 + goals conceded. I'd suggest that sorting our gopingly shite defence out is the priority. Welding JW, WH, PVA and maybe even SD to the bench would be a good start.

Despite this being a Murray thread, that is the most important point, that's why Sakho had a major impact in the vital run that kept us up last season.

It's not just WH and lately PVA, Dann and Ward are a weak link now, as much as they have been grafters for us over the last five years, although Tompkins cannot stay fit for five minutes, so we still lack an option.

Shamone
29-10-2017, 09:43 PM

If Benteke had been playing at Carlisle I fancy his ratio to be a bit higher

nicknackpalace
29-10-2017, 09:56 PM
I felt that GM let his fitness go under Pardew and was a yard too slow and he didnt get his fitness up to be in contention at Bournemouth either.

Billyd
29-10-2017, 11:19 PM
Remember when people said Wickahm was an upgrade on Murray. lol.

CP-RJW
29-10-2017, 11:44 PM

Diego Costa’s league goal ratio: 0.42 Dwight Gayle’s league goal ratio: 0.46 So you’d take Gayle over Costa any day wouldn’t you? I mean stats don’t lie.

917L
30-10-2017, 07:21 AM
Yes third choice striker was not for him so no mistake. He has done well for Brighton but had games at a lower level to find his form something he would not and did not get at Bournemouth or us.

Problem is he should never have been 3rd choice

johnp
30-10-2017, 07:34 AM
Murray wanted to leave.

Because dickhead Pardew told he he was going to be 3rd choice striker!

Golf Boy
30-10-2017, 07:42 AM

Pardew is the jammiest useless **** ever. So many quality players landed on his doorstep he couldn`t fail. The geordies said their results were due to player talent getting them results. With us he could just park the bus and threaten as we had Wilf and Yannick on the break. As soon as that got broken we were ******* useless.

Timbo
30-10-2017, 08:00 AM
Nurray can and does score goals without receiving any service, it seems that Benteke cant

stevek
30-10-2017, 08:03 AM
Remember when people said Wickahm was an upgrade on Murray. lol.

A fit Wickham would be an upgrade on Murray.

dave_who_ru
30-10-2017, 08:27 AM

Given the 10 year difference in age one would hope so. The problem is one is a natural striker and the other one isnít.

Certainly a 24 year old Murray over a 34 year old Wickham would be no contest.

Maidstoned Eagle
30-10-2017, 08:44 AM

The same dickhead who was praising GM after the game on Sky yesterday.

Yoda
30-10-2017, 08:46 AM
Not quite as simple as that though. Are those players happy to sit in the reserves? Is it healthy to have a strong character like Jedi around if he's not getting game time?

Quite.

Every player has different priorities, at different stages in their career.

Some in their mid-30s want to play every week and prefer to drop down a league to keep involved in the first team action and achieve new targets. Maybe needing to pocket a large signing on fee etc in the process.

Others prefer to remain in the squad of their Prem team, playing occasionally and maybe working towards their coaching badges at the same time.

Personally I think it must be tough to remain match fit, working on the training ground daily but with only 1-2 matches a month to look forward to. Some of those with Ďchunkierí bodies must find it v hard to keep lean and competitive.

Scifo
30-10-2017, 08:52 AM
Certainly a 24 year old Murray over a 34 year old Wickham would be no contest.

A 24 year old Murray has never scored more than 6 goals in a season nor played above the 4th tier :angel:

Billyd
30-10-2017, 09:23 AM

Wickham has never scored more than 5 goals in a season at this level. Murray has 3 and its not even November. He will out score Wickham.

Funniest thing is the justification for those who thought it was a good idea was that Glenns legs had gone. Whereas the reality is Murray has been able to mostly stay fit and is playing week in week out. Wickham on the other hand....

rhiannapaul
30-10-2017, 10:25 AM
Murray and Wilf had a good understanding connection Which Benteke hasnt got .just hope tekkers returns and gels because first 5 games he was poor

dim
30-10-2017, 10:37 AM
We sold him for £4M and have spent more than £50m trying to replace him after Pardew put him BEHIND the loanee Blowdry in the striking stakes.....

Surely someone at the club must have known Pardew was striker blind from when he played Sanogoals instead of FFS?

On reflection....bad leadership.

PengeEagle
30-10-2017, 01:34 PM
My point is that, as with Murray (and arguably the keeper situation), when we have strengthened the first team we have weakened the squad by letting 2nd choice players go and retaining third choice. As a result, we have left ourselves with players who canít ďdo a jobĒ when called on. To this day, Iíd rather see Murray, Jedinak and Mariappa on the bench than Ladapo, Mutch and Kelly.

Whilst I agree with your point, second choice players like Murray, Jedinak etc often have other clubs after them, or have ambitions to play first team football. Third choice players sometimes don't have either - so much more difficult to keep the second choice players than the third.

Thanet Eagle
30-10-2017, 01:46 PM
Murray and Wilf had a good understanding connection Which Benteke hasnt got .just hope tekkers returns and gels because first 5 games he was poor

Benteke scored 15 league goals for us last season. Can't see Murray getting near that.

Thefunkymonk
30-10-2017, 01:55 PM
Benteke scored 15 league goals for us last season. Can't see Murray getting near that.

This.

Murray wonít score more than 5/6 this season. He isnít anywhere near the ability of Benteke.

He left 2 years ago, heís gone, let it go people

Davy64
30-10-2017, 02:13 PM
This.

Murray wonít score more than 5/6 this season. He isnít anywhere near the ability of Benteke.

I can't :D

4 cryingOutloud
30-10-2017, 02:15 PM
Diego Costaís league goal ratio: 0.42 Dwight Gayleís league goal ratio: 0.46 So youíd take Gayle over Costa any day wouldnít you? I mean stats donít lie.

Stat's don't lie because they are based on what has been achieved and not on what will be achieved, that's why you can't rely on stats to forecast what will be.

rambo1
30-10-2017, 02:22 PM
This.

Murray won’t score more than 5/6 this season. He isn’t anywhere near the ability of Benteke.

He left 2 years ago, he’s gone, let it go people

Absolutely.
Glenn Murray wasn't,a Regular Premier League Starter,here or at Bournemouth.
Christian Benteke,is a Far Better Player,as is Connor Wickham,who will be Back in a Couple of Months.
Though an Additional,Striker is required,Need Benteke Back,ASAP.

redandblue
30-10-2017, 08:20 PM

A fit wickham will never happen

Golf Boy
30-10-2017, 08:29 PM

He hasnīt been up to now.

PalaceRichard
30-10-2017, 08:51 PM

Exactly this. That transfer was one of the worst sales in recent years, apart from Victor Moses and Nat Clyne which was in totally different circumstances.

One minute he was been talked of as someone for Connor Wickham to learn from, the next he was being sold for apparently a "great value" £3-4m. This is peanuts these days for a proven goalscorer, who could still have been a great option of the bench for us. From our point of view, what an absolute waste.

Bryan
30-10-2017, 08:53 PM
Weird how Murray still feels like a Palace player playing in a Tesco bag

the digger
02-11-2017, 06:24 PM
Whilst I agree with your point, second choice players like Murray, Jedinak etc often have other clubs after them, or have ambitions to play first team football. Third choice players sometimes don't have either - so much more difficult to keep the second choice players than the third.

That's why a manager is a manager not a coach.

Look at what Pochetino is doing with the squad that the Spurs hierarchy have given him. He's not asking Sissoko to be Dembele/Wanyama, or Son/Llorente to be Kane, but creating srparate roles for them where they feel key to the club's efforts. By managing the expectations and opportunities of his players he is getting them to perform at a higher level on a more regular basis.

Murray, Jedinak and Mariappa would all have played key roles and should have commanded contracts that matched that. Our manager was more concerned with having a star-studded first team but, when fitness, form and discipline created gaps, the cupboards were bare.

I should, of course, add the caveat that the ridiculous situation imposed on our club by EPPP criteria means our reserves/u23 ls are not playing at a level that prepares them for the Prem.

the digger
02-11-2017, 06:26 PM
This.

That's 5/6 more than the second choice striker we started the season with.

Sir.S.C Remembered
02-11-2017, 08:01 PM

Obviously, Benteke is better.

However, would have been worth having him in the squad. He is better than Wickham by far in my opinion and the transfer fee raised was nothing in the scheme of things. He'd have got plenty of minutes to keep him happy, well he should have.

Steve in Phoenix
02-11-2017, 09:13 PM
Murray wasn't happy that was very very clear

dim
02-11-2017, 09:15 PM
Only ever happy scoring.

Zulu84
02-11-2017, 09:31 PM
Wow, still beating this dead horse huh

Eagle's Nest
02-11-2017, 10:00 PM
Wow, still beating this dead horse huh

When you've got no fit strikers nostalgia is a powerful thing.

laggin
03-11-2017, 02:32 AM
saw a stat on ssn earlier than glenn murray and Dwight gayle are behind only harry kane and tammy Abraham in the top 4 English goalscorers in the top 2 divisions for the last 2 years

hdeagle
03-11-2017, 03:02 AM
Murray also left for family reasons if you look at his social media at the time.

cpfc4evandeva
03-11-2017, 07:41 AM
That's such a load of horseshit. It takes longer to get to Bournemouth from Brighton than it does to South London.

IanH
03-11-2017, 07:58 AM
This.

He has 3 goals in 4 starts so far this season.

CamberleyEagle
03-11-2017, 08:05 AM
It will certainly be interesting to see who scores more this season.

I'm dreading him scoring against us but I think it's gonna happen.

This.

S.P.R.
03-11-2017, 08:06 AM
saw a stat on ssn earlier than glenn murray and Dwight gayle are behind only harry kane and tammy Abraham in the top 4 English goalscorers in the top 2 divisions for the last 2 years

Means nothing if it's including goals in the champ.

Look how many goals Gayle gets in the champ compared to the prem, total step up.

If Benteke had been playing a few seasons in the champ, he would be up there on those stats.

thefox
03-11-2017, 08:15 AM

How many people will shout "FFS Murray " ?

Cpfcbob
03-11-2017, 08:16 AM
Diego Costaís league goal ratio: 0.42 Dwight Gayleís league goal ratio: 0.46 So youíd take Gayle over Costa any day wouldnít you? I mean stats donít lie.

YES

Cpfcbob
03-11-2017, 08:21 AM

btw costa = 0.41 and gayle is 0.5

My point was further the point natural born goal scorers consistently score at any level, ike Murray. Whereas Conor Wickham is very stop-start not consistent and is low on 0.21

CP-RJW
03-11-2017, 04:57 PM
btw costa = 0.41 and gayle is 0.5

My point was further the point natural born goal scorers consistently score at any level, ike Murray. Whereas Conor Wickham is very stop-start not consistent and is low on 0.21
If those stats are incorrect you can take it out on soccerbase :D I’m with you re Wickham, he can finish well at times but doesn’t seem like he has a goal scorers instinct and hunger. Also built like a brick shithouse yet doesn’t bully players or put himself about anywhere near enough.

H.Bomb
04-11-2017, 07:41 AM

Agreed. Murray was brilliant for us.

Vince Hilaire's Afro
04-11-2017, 08:00 AM
In addition to their own reasons for maybe wanting a move, it is sometimes necessary to sell players who have market value, even if they could still do a good job for us.

The issue is not so much with moving on players like Murray, for whom we got a decent fee, but the efficiency with which they're replaced.

Sceagle
04-11-2017, 08:02 AM
I love Glenn

Sceagle
04-11-2017, 08:03 AM
If Benteke had Murray's gamesmanship and cleverness, he would be world class

cpfc4evandeva
04-11-2017, 08:15 AM

Agree.

SussexRed&Blue
04-11-2017, 08:25 AM
Murray was great for us but he is now 34 and had the serious injury which took a long time to recover from. The thing with Murray was he never relied on his pace but his intelligence and strikers instinct to move into the right areas to receive the ball in. He always gave the defenders a tough game with his persistence and physical prescence. Scored goals at every level and solid pro. Coming towards the end of his career at 34 but how many players have scored goals at so many levels. Just a shame we haven't really been able to bring in an adequate replacement.

Benteke great in the air but just means you have to play more one way to suit his strength. It is all very well using goal stats per game to compare but you have to look at the value players add to the team. When he is not scoring he doesn't offer a great deal.

old traf
04-11-2017, 08:57 AM
He hasnīt been up to now.

He has/was when Murrey was the same age, he is like a good wine, just gets better with age. *****il your legs go)

Buysakho
04-11-2017, 09:07 AM
Murray should be in England squad ahead of Abraham . Most intelligent English striker since sheringham.

917L
04-11-2017, 12:01 PM

And work ethic

Owngoal
04-11-2017, 12:15 PM
I love Glenn

Would never have guessed

We all did. Glenn was one of the great championship strikers just as Andy Johnson was one of the great Premiership strikers. Both shared injury as the reason for a decline. Andy never got back because the easiest way to stop him was brutal and led to further injuries. Glenn has some very decent attributes still but has never really produced in the Prem. Flop at Bournemouth who paid us well. Because of who he now plays for can we wish him a good swansong?

CamberleyEagle
04-11-2017, 12:38 PM
It didn't work out for him at Bournemouth because he fell out with Eddie Howe, not because he played badly. Wasn't a flop.

Would never have guessed

We all did. Glenn was one of the great championship strikers just as Andy Johnson was one of the great Premiership strikers. Both shared injury as the reason for a decline. Andy never got back because the easiest way to stop him was brutal and led to further injuries. Glenn has some very decent attributes still but has never really produced in the Prem. Flop at Bournemouth who paid us well. Because of who he now plays for can we wish him a good swansong?

CJ PLUM
04-11-2017, 12:38 PM
Obviously, Benteke is better.

However, would have been worth having him in the squad. He is better than Wickham by far in my opinion and the transfer fee raised was nothing in the scheme of things. He'd have got plenty of minutes to keep him happy, well he should have.

Murray is clearly the better player than Benteke with his back to goal.
Benteke is probably a better player than Murray facing the goal.

So when you consider how the team functions it is actually closer than it looks as to which is the better player.

New LP
04-11-2017, 12:52 PM
He wanted to leave

Yes, thatís what the Parish PR machine told us at the time.

jimmy the gent
04-11-2017, 12:55 PM
Murray should be in England squad ahead of Abraham . Most intelligent English striker since sheringham.

Lol, calm down mate.

SA Eagle
04-11-2017, 12:58 PM
It didn't work out for him at Bournemouth because he fell out with Eddie Howe, not because he played badly. Wasn't a flop.

Certainly wasn't a success.

NorthPalace23
04-11-2017, 01:02 PM

I'd settle for that....as long as we win 3-1!

Owngoal
04-11-2017, 01:09 PM
He wanted a long term contract which we did not want to give him, he got it from Eddie Howe who was the only one stupid enough to do the same with Defoe.
Murray said Howe was a brilliant coach but GM did not deliver and was dropped. Taking off the rose tinted specs he always had a reputation as a miserable git, which does not matter if you deliver, but being dropped would certainly not enhance his attitude. He has a firm place in our history but he is the past and not the future. To say he is better than Ben is simply daft as Ben has delivered in the Prem and internationally

Billy Gilbert
04-11-2017, 01:41 PM
Have heard from a few sources that Glenn can be quite disruptive if he's not playing.

macstar
04-11-2017, 02:04 PM
Crouch scores again. If you are still good enough, age means nothing.

macstar
04-11-2017, 02:05 PM
Have heard from a few sources that Glenn can be quite disruptive if he's not playing.

you guess thats basically what happened when Pardew said he was gonna be behind Wickham.

Penstone Eagle
04-11-2017, 02:24 PM
you guess thats basically what happened when Pardew said he was gonna be behind Wickham.

Every right to be pissed off. Murray has stuck two fingers up at Pardew.

macstar
04-11-2017, 02:25 PM
Every right to be pissed off. Murray has stuck two fingers up at Pardew.

yup!

917L
04-11-2017, 03:15 PM
Murray is clearly the better player than Benteke with his back to goal.
Benteke is probably a better player than Murray facing the goal.

So when you consider how the team functions it is actually closer than it looks as to which is the better player.

Only with his head

macstar
04-11-2017, 03:32 PM
Just scored again

grand aigle
04-11-2017, 03:32 PM
just scored AGAIN!!

wawman_15
04-11-2017, 03:33 PM
He is still an excellent player

sylvan eagle
just scored AGAIN!!

One man team

SJ'sLoveMonkey
They are having a great start to the season it has to be said

grand aigle
04-11-2017, 03:34 PM
One man team

At least their one man is scoring goals!
and almost scored again......good business selling him and not replacing him!

Zohar's Penalty
04-11-2017, 03:35 PM
This.

Heís got 4 already. Another stupid **** up from us.

carter
04-11-2017, 03:37 PM
Pardews arrogance. I hope he doesn’t steal a living again off another club unless it’s any of Brighton or Millwall

Thefunkymonk
04-11-2017, 03:37 PM
Heís got 4 already. Another stupid **** up from us.

I still stand by my statement.

He left 2 years ago.

Are we going to have this every time he scores.. very tedious

Mr Palace
04-11-2017, 03:38 PM
Yep, it was always going to be a poor decision and Murray continues to prove that. Real shame.

anonymousone
04-11-2017, 03:38 PM
I never hardly post but I have read for many years. Around the time that Murray was being sold and lots of people were saying that 4 million is good business for a player his age, I felt like screaming then and feel even more like it now. Murray is one of those players who knows where the net is and will find it provided he is given deliveries, he has never been a player where pace is a part of his game, so age does not really affect him as it would others. Still we have to move on from Murray now and concentrate on our new exciting strike force, Oh. Still at least those we do have are fit, Oh again.

grand aigle
04-11-2017, 03:39 PM

He left 2 years ago.

Probably, because we have NO ONE who can score!

RedStripe Eagle
04-11-2017, 03:41 PM
Pardews arrogance. I hope he doesn’t steal a living again off another club unless it’s any of Brighton or Millwall

Might be the only way we get rid of some of our shit is if he gets a job and buys them - for that reason I hope he does get another job - but he fcked us right royally :wallbash::wallbash:

Thefunkymonk
04-11-2017, 03:41 PM
[/B]

Probably, because we have NO ONE who can score!

Well we do.

grand aigle
04-11-2017, 03:42 PM
I never hardly post but I have read for many years. Around the time that Murray was being sold and lots of people were saying that 4 million is good business for a player his age, I felt like screaming then and feel even more like it now. Murray is one of those players who knows where the net is and will find it provided he is given deliveries, he has never been a player where pace is a part of his game, so age does not really affect him as it would others. Still we have to move on from Murray now and concentrate on our new exciting strike force, Oh. Still at least those we do have are fit, Oh again.

Who exactly are these people? Benteke 0 goals injured ,Wickham 0 goals 0 games injured...points 4 so far ...mmmm very exciting strike force!

grand aigle
04-11-2017, 03:42 PM
Well we do.

Really? Not so much!

Zohar's Penalty
04-11-2017, 03:43 PM

He left 2 years ago.

Itís a discussion forum full of tedious shit. A striker we let go for peanuts has scored as many goals this season as our club, which is currently without a fit striker. That is relatively noteworthy.

Anyway, Iíll bet you £100 he gets more than 6.

macstar
04-11-2017, 03:46 PM

He left 2 years ago.

Yep, cos like i said, it hurts everytime he scores.

rhiannapaul
04-11-2017, 03:47 PM
4 goals for Benteke to catch up ....

grand aigle
04-11-2017, 03:49 PM
4 goals for Benteke to catch up ....

Might catch up in about 10 games IF Murray stops scoring!

PauLo
04-11-2017, 03:51 PM
Yep, cos like i said, it hurts everytime he scores.

I'd say it more annoying. And that's only because it's a Brighton goal.

He's a Brighton player again. Get over it (note to everyone)

anonymousone
04-11-2017, 03:51 PM
Who exactly are these people? Benteke 0 goals injured ,Wickham 0 goals 0 games injured...points 4 so far ...mmmm very exciting strike force!

I think you missed the part where I wrote 'Oh'

grand aigle
04-11-2017, 03:55 PM
I think you missed the part where I wrote 'Oh'

Sorry saw that just after I posted! Ooops!

NorthPalace23
04-11-2017, 03:57 PM
Benteke will score more than Murray this season, injuries permitting.

Murray couldn't have scored the number of Premier League goals Benteke has in his career. In terms of talent Benteke is far better and about 8 years younger.

What I want from Benteke is for him to work harder and play for the team. These are the qualities Murray has more of than Benteke.

Zohar's Penalty
04-11-2017, 03:59 PM

Personally I just think itís incredible the vast number of ways the club has shot itself in the foot in the past couple of years. Itís cruelly ironic the GM is banging goals in and we have a striker crisis.

The fact that Brighton are strolling towards comfortable mid table safety, whilst we are in deep shit is likely making some us even more irritable.

in-exile
04-11-2017, 04:01 PM

Murray couldn't have scored the number of Premier League goals Benteke has in his career. In terms of talent Benteke is far better and about 8 years younger.

What I want from Benteke is for him to work harder and play for the team. These are the qualities Murray has more of than Benteke.What a load of Bollocks ... Murray is a natural goalscorer and would have been banging them in for us!
Wanted to leave us is also shit .. pay the cash he's worth and he would have stayed..we wanted to cash in.
Just another case of our Chairman thinking we were better than we are.

HRP
04-11-2017, 04:01 PM

What I want from Benteke is for him to work harder and play for the team. These are the qualities Murray has more of than Benteke.

Murray couldnít have scored the number of premier league goals Benteke has in his career SIMPLY BECAUSE BENTEKE HAS OVER 120 PREMIER LEAGUE APPEARANCES .
You bell end :S:

HRP
04-11-2017, 04:03 PM
What a load of Bollocks ... Murray is a natural goalscorer and would have been banging them in for us!
Wanted to leave us is also shit .. pay the cash hrs worth and he would have stayed..

We sold him for £4 million :supergrin::supergrin:, we paid more than that for the waste of space Mutch . Parish hasnít got a ******* clue , looking at the fact we made a £4 Million profit that will result in a loss of £130 million

SA Eagle
04-11-2017, 04:05 PM
Murray couldnít have scored the number of premier league goals Benteke has in his career SIMPLY BECAUSE BENTEKE HAS OVER 120 PREMIER LEAGUE APPEARANCES .

There's probably a reason why Benteke has played more Premier League games.

NorthPalace23
04-11-2017, 04:06 PM

And why did Murray not appear in the Premier League until his 30's? Answer because he wasn't good enough.

Benteke has shown he is a regular Premier League scorer from his early twenties. He has more natural talent than Murray.

Temper temper.

NorthPalace23
04-11-2017, 04:11 PM
What a load of Bollocks ... Murray is a natural goalscorer and would have been banging them in for us!
Wanted to leave us is also shit .. pay the cash he's worth and he would have stayed..we wanted to cash in.

In terms of talent Benteke is far better than Murray.

Also, Benteke is about 8 years younger.

What gives Murray the edge is his link up play, hard work, and experience.

As I said, Benteke will score more than Murray this season and when their careers finish Benteke will have far more Pl goals and appearances as he is a better player. Would Murray have got a move to Liverpool? No. Will he score 20 plus in a pl season? No. These are Benteke's achievements. I'm a critic of Benteke as well!

in-exile
04-11-2017, 04:11 PM
Benteke should outshine Murray in a few weeks time than...I won't hold my breath!

grand aigle
04-11-2017, 04:13 PM

Not unless Benteke gets fit and starts to look a little bit interested in actually EARNING his 120k a week!

in-exile
04-11-2017, 04:13 PM
In terms of talent Benteke is far better than Murray.

Also, Benteke is about 8 years younger.

What gives Murray the edge is his link up play, hard work, and experience.

As I said, Benteke will score more than Murray this season and when their careers finish Benteke will have far more Pl goals and appearances as he is a better player. Would Murray have got a move to Liverpool? No. Will he score 20 plus in a pl season? No. These are Benteke's achievements. I'm a critic of Benteke as well!One is a natural goalscorer who will always be in the right place to score no matter his age or speed..and he plays for the weed.

Mictor Voses
04-11-2017, 04:16 PM
There is nothing more certain in life than that he will score against us at the Amex in a few weeks.

macstar
04-11-2017, 04:16 PM

lol..i find it funny that yourself and others come and look at this thread......everytime Murray scores lol

macstar
04-11-2017, 04:17 PM
Benteke should outshine Murray in a few weeks time than...I won't hold my breath!

the statue.......?

Needs to learn movement off Murray!

in-exile
04-11-2017, 04:25 PM
the statue.......?

Needs to learn movement off Murray!My green wheelie bin has move movement than Benteke.

grand aigle
04-11-2017, 04:41 PM
My green wheelie bin has move movement than Benteke.

Is it available for the next match?

in-exile
04-11-2017, 04:58 PM
Is it available for the next match?I'm going so yes it's available for selection.

Owngoal
04-11-2017, 05:01 PM
We had the same when Freedman went to the mighty Southend.

anonymousone
04-11-2017, 05:05 PM
I'm going so yes it's available for selection.

You have blown it now, expect to see your bin come down with an injury.

averity
04-11-2017, 05:22 PM
Hopefully sako has not been putting his rubbish in it or it will most defiantly be too heavy and not move great

dim
04-11-2017, 05:34 PM
If they ever make a budget remake of the Wizard of Oz, they could book big Ben to play all three sidekicks....

eaglejez
04-11-2017, 05:50 PM
:wallbash::wallbash:

Golf Boy
04-11-2017, 05:55 PM
I think Mureay has now surpassed in his career the amount of premier league goals Benteke got for us last year.

Mike Elwiss
04-11-2017, 06:01 PM
Apart from FDB , Getting rid of Murray has been our single biggest mistake since we have been in the premier league.
He only wanted to go because we didn't want him.

cockles
04-11-2017, 06:04 PM
I think Mureay has now surpassed in his career the amount of premier league goals Benteke got for us last year.

True, but this thread is not meant to be about him being > Benteke. Surely it was intended to rub in the fact that Murray clearly was in 2015, and in 2016 & now in 2017 good enough to have stayed at Palace.

Idiotic decision to allow him to leave. A Prem standard no.9 on a modest wage and game not reliant on pace.

Golf Boy
04-11-2017, 06:35 PM
True, but this thread is not meant to be about him being > Benteke. Surely it was intended to rub in the fact that Murray clearly was in 2015, and in 2016 & now in 2017 good enough to have stayed at Palace.

Idiotic decision to allow him to leave. A Prem standard no.9 on a modest wage and game not reliant on pace.

Was on a modest wage - what did Bournemouth offer? I rate Murray and he has lasted longer than i thought.

Ardent Eagle Forever
04-11-2017, 07:04 PM
Not a bad fortnight for a striker deemed not good enough for the premiershite.

Nigelbrag
04-11-2017, 07:14 PM
It was a huge error in judgement to sell Murray, for a Premiership club NOT to have adequate cover is unforgivable, and this is not in hindsight just commonsense thinking. He was a goalscorer that you can ill afford to discard and a great standby striker that would have put pressure on ensuring Benteke was always on top of his game if he was to remain in the side maintaining his position. Also especially seeing how brittle Wickham's body has been coupled with having Never been a prolific goalscorer unlike Murray, so it was vital to have had ALL Three to call on, as every premiership club requires at the very least Four good strikers.

johnp
04-11-2017, 07:16 PM

Only by Pardew, the destroyer of football clubs.

Neillo's Son
04-11-2017, 07:21 PM
Only by Pardew, the destroyer of football clubs.

Iíve said it before, Iím friends with someone who is very good friends with Murray and he didnít want to leave and Pardew didnít want to sell.

Pardew was told by Parish that if Bournemouth made an offer we couldnít refuse then we would sell, and thatís what happened.

Who knows how true it is and Iím not one to stir for the sake of it but whatever happened, it was a decision made with only one thing in mind - money.

foresthillbilly
04-11-2017, 07:22 PM
Apart from FDB , Getting rid of Murray has been our single biggest mistake since we have been in the premier league.
He only wanted to go because we didn't want him.

To be fair, he was very good for us, and Pardew, thinking Murray was getting past it (following the Parish philosophy of always selling players to recoup monies, before they get 'past it') tried to get value back.

And I think we would wish Murray the very best, for all he did for us. But for one thing.

We sold him back to the weed.
Then they got promoted, and now we're a few weeks away from our first Premiership meeting with our biggest rivals, and GM is still banging them away. Meanwhile, our (joint) leading top scorer in the Prem is o.g.
So for all the FFS taunts and Br1-3hton pl55 takes in recent years, it now looks likely that we will get our bottoms spanked and the tide of pl55-taking from weeds fans will be huge. GM looks almost destined to score for them.

and that is why we watch his form

S.P.R.
04-11-2017, 07:35 PM
To be fair, he was very good for us, and Pardew, thinking Murray was getting past it (following the Parish philosophy of always selling players to recoup monies, before they get 'past it') tried to get value back.

And I think we would wish Murray the very best, for all he did for us. But for one thing.

Then they got promoted, and now we're a few weeks away from our first Premiership meeting with our biggest rivals, and GM is still banging them away. Meanwhile, our (joint) leading top scorer in the Prem is o.g.
So for all the FFS taunts and Br1-3hton pl55 takes in recent years, it now looks likely that we will get our bottoms spanked and the tide of pl55-taking from weeds fans will be huge. GM looks almost destined to score for them.

Benteke will be fit by then and he has not scored yet, so the law of averages will mean he will bag a brace of goals.

Despite absolutely no logical reason, the law of averages is very important in football I think.

Golf Boy
04-11-2017, 07:38 PM

He was sold to another premier league team.

JDawg
04-11-2017, 08:52 PM
He left in part because we signed Benteke and having dropped nearly £30m on Big Ben, Glen was always going to play second fiddle.

You can debate who is the better player forever. Bottom line is we got 15 goals from Benteke last year. The most from a single player since..........

Murray isn't the quickest thing on two legs, but his awareness means he's usually in the right place at the right time. To flag him as shite is puerile.

AndyB
04-11-2017, 09:17 PM
He left in part because we signed Benteke and having dropped nearly £30m on Big Ben, Glen was always going to play second fiddle.

You can debate who is the better player forever. Bottom line is we got 15 goals from Benteke last year. The most from a single player since..........

Murray isn't the quickest thing on two legs, but his awareness means he's usually in the right place at the right time. To flag him as shite is puerile.

We sold Murray in 2015 and bought Benteke in 2016!!!

SA Eagle
04-11-2017, 09:26 PM

We sold him to Bournemouth not Br*ght*n

Billyd
04-11-2017, 09:45 PM
Legs gone etc :clown:

ee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o
04-11-2017, 09:53 PM
He'll always be a "hero" to me...no matter who he plays for. And I go back a heck of a way..Holton, Woodruff, Birchenall, Thomas, Lombardo are all up there along side him pour moi.