PDA

View Full Version : Podcasts....podcasts everywhere.....

Maidstoned Eagle
31-10-2017, 07:14 AM
Why are podcasts like buses? Miss one and there's another one along in a minute, usually with 2 right behind that.

Though I do appreciate the hard work etc some people put into their efforts...could we just have a podcast thread, instead of loads of threads popping up.

We could call it the Podcast Discussion thread to fit in with the latest trend of "Discussion" named threads.

Neckinger Eagle
31-10-2017, 07:23 AM
Or you could make a podcast review podcast and then post a thread about it?

Maidstoned Eagle
31-10-2017, 07:23 AM
Or you could make a podcast review podcast and then post a thread about it?
I'd have to listen to them all then. I don't have time for all that, I have packed lunch to make.

Neckinger Eagle
31-10-2017, 07:26 AM
You could avoid listening to them all by reading out aloud all the BBS comments on the podcasts by others like a Dave Gorman Found Poem?

Bipe
31-10-2017, 07:27 AM
Yes the recent proliferation of 'discussion' threads is a point worthy of discussion...although for convenience and to avoid such comments becoming dissipated and lost, I would suggest that a 'discussion threads discussion' thread would make a handy single point of reference.

As for the podcasts...ashamed to say I have never listened to a Palace one. Regarding podcasts in general though, I am old and I struggle to see the motivation for getting one started in the first place (assuming you are not already famous with an established following who will hang on your every word). It's the presumed 'I have something of value to say and I want everyone to hear it' stance which I struggle to get my head around. A similar thing is also now starting to proliferate on LinkedIn, where you see 'business leaders' publishing a couple of minutes video which is simply them as a taking head peddling their latest management theory. It's amazing how all of these are based on a personal true life story which can be used as an analogy for the leadership technique being discussed. 'I was walking down the High Street yesterday and there was a homeless man sitting outside Argos. Rather than walk by, I decided to stop and talk. He explained to me how he used to work in a Tupperware factory...' etc etc and so on and so forth.

Neckinger Eagle
31-10-2017, 07:31 AM
A similar thing is also now starting to proliferate on LinkedIn, where you see 'business leaders' publishing a couple of minutes video which is simply them as a taking head peddling their latest management theory. It's amazing how all of these are based on a personal true life story which can be used as an analogy for the leadership technique being discussed. 'I was walking down the High Street yesterday and there was a homeless man sitting outside Argos. Rather than walk by, I decided to stop and talk. He explained to me how he used to work in a Tupperware factory...' etc etc and so on and so forth.

Sounds like Arsenal TV for the terminally dull, although I admit Arsenal TV is Arsenal TV for the permanently dull already.

Maidstoned Eagle
31-10-2017, 07:35 AM
You could avoid listening to them all by reading out aloud all the BBS comments on the podcasts by others like a Dave Gorman Found Poem?

Isn't that what they already are?

Yes the recent proliferation of 'discussion' threads is a point worthy of discussion...although for convenience and to avoid such comments becoming dissipated and lost, I would suggest that a 'discussion threads discussion' thread would make a handy single point of reference. A point worthy of discussion.

As for the podcasts...ashamed to say I have never listened to a Palace one. Regarding podcasts in general though, I am old and I struggle to see the motivation for getting one started in the first place (assuming you are not already famous with an established following who will hang on your every word). It's the presumed 'I have something of value to say and I want everyone to hear it' stance which I struggle to get my head around. A similar thing is also now starting to proliferate on LinkedIn, where you see 'business leaders' publishing a couple of minutes video which is simply them as a taking head peddling their latest management theory. It's amazing how all of these are based on a personal true life story which can be used as an analogy for the leadership technique being discussed. 'I was walking down the High Street yesterday and there was a homeless man sitting outside Argos. Rather than walk by, I decided to stop and talk. He explained to me how he used to work in a Tupperware factory...' etc etc and so on and so forth.
Yes, is very much a "MEMEME......YOU MUST LISTEN TO MEEEEEEEE!" attitude.

Everyone wants their 15 minutes...only now, due to "everyone" being an ever increasing number, this has been reduced to 30 seconds.

Lego Knight
31-10-2017, 07:40 AM
I have to admit, I'm a bit of a podcast evangelist, there's so many good ones around, but I'm struggling to keep up. The Guardian had a good article yesterday listing some ones to check out: https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2017/oct/29/best-podcasts-of-2017-part-1-from-the-buzziest-to-politics-and-brain-food

Neckinger Eagle
31-10-2017, 07:42 AM
I must admit it's only recently that I realised there was more than one Palace podcast. I would just see that a thread was about a podcast and only occasionally clicked on them.

The only time I've listened to them is when Parish has shipped up and seeing as I don't really respect the guy's business capability any more I don't even listen to him now.

Perhaps podcast and fanzine advertising should have its own separate forum?

Neckinger Eagle
31-10-2017, 07:45 AM
I have to admit, I'm a bit of a podcast evangelist, there's so many good ones around, but I'm struggling to keep up. The Guardian had a good article yesterday listing some ones to check out: https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2017/oct/29/best-podcasts-of-2017-part-1-from-the-buzziest-to-politics-and-brain-food

Yes, I do like good, professionally produced podcasts, where the contributors are taking a non-partisan view.

mcmean
31-10-2017, 07:45 AM
Just subscribe to them and they’ll download automatically. No need to check here

Lego Knight
31-10-2017, 08:23 AM

MFBias
31-10-2017, 10:15 AM
Even worse is making post where the poster says, 'I said the same thing on my Pod, the link is in my huge signature, please listen to my pod'

THEDESPERATEPALACEPODCAST LINK
[PLEASE LISTEN

art malice
31-10-2017, 10:20 AM
I’ve been discussing the antics of a bald androgynous child who marches purposefully towards the camera in my new bodcast if anyone gives a fvck

CPFC.1990
31-10-2017, 02:46 PM
The poster sc whatever is frankly taking the piss with the bold red advertising.

ForzaPalace
31-10-2017, 03:03 PM
They're all shit. Listened to one for the first time the other day and in 40 minutes of drivel I summarised that it's nothing you couldn't get off of here or Twitter in about 5 minutes.

Nigel_Scarfer
31-10-2017, 03:15 PM
The poster sc whatever is frankly taking the piss with the bold red advertising.
It also sounds incredibly dull and pretentious - a critical thinking podcast - whatever the **** that means.

MFBias
31-10-2017, 03:57 PM

His signature seems to go in size in accordance with his desperation.

PeterH
01-11-2017, 01:36 AM
Sounds like Arsenal TV for the terminally dull, although I admit Arsenal TV is Arsenal TV for the permanently dull already.

The casts are better than Arsenal TV and other similar wank programmes. You do them a disservice by comparing them.

If we ever have Palace TV, we will need to bury our heads in shame.

hong_kong_hg
01-11-2017, 04:49 AM
I’ve been discussing the antics of a bald androgynous child who marches purposefully towards the camera in my new bodcast if anyone gives a fvck

:)

Kai
01-11-2017, 05:57 AM
They are the fanzines of the modern age but without all the charm. I just never bother listening. Reading a fanzine on the other hand...

little al
01-11-2017, 06:10 AM
They're all shit. Listened to one for the first time the other day and in 40 minutes of drivel I summarised that it's nothing you couldn't get off of here or Twitter in about 5 minutes.

Pretty much this, have listened to a few but don't bother now.

little al
01-11-2017, 06:12 AM
They are the fanzines of the modern age but without all the charm. I just never bother listening. Reading a fanzine on the other hand...

This as well. Loved the fanzine era.

JDawg
01-11-2017, 06:45 AM
If you like them listen to them. If you don't like them, don't listen to them.

Simple really.

little al
01-11-2017, 06:48 AM

Simple really.

Judging by the few posts so far, this is happening.

Oli28
01-11-2017, 07:13 AM
Judging by the few posts so far, this is happening.
There are a lot more posts in the FYP podcast thread.

cpfc4evandeva
01-11-2017, 07:38 AM
I'm pleased I'm not the only who finds them fairly shit. They all seem to follow a similar formula, with a balanced(ish) presenter and then several of the following ingredients:

An absolute grade-A moron
Some bellend who tries to pretend he's 'ITK'
Someone with an incredibly annoying voice
Hdeagle or someone just like him
A failed comedian

The only thing worse are vlogs, with weirdos who just sit there filming themselves for 90 minutes of a game.

carlito
01-11-2017, 07:45 AM

Simple really.

:p

Jim Cannons Moustache
01-11-2017, 07:48 AM
The only thing worse are vlogs, with weirdos who just sit there filming themselves for 90 minutes of a game.

You are of course right here, there is something very creepy about those. They always strike me as the type who may go all Columbine on us at any moment.

little al
01-11-2017, 07:51 AM
There are a lot more posts in the FYP podcast thread.

This is a new thread, Ant the FYP pdcast is among the worst imho.

Reg_Maudling
01-11-2017, 08:11 AM
I like FYP and HOlradio and listen to both every week

I didn't like the palace luvvie/media one with the ex-player guests that has disappeared now, too much about films and television for my interest

I always listen whether we lose draw win or lose easily or lose unluckily and its just a hunch but it seems that that I enjoy the podcasts much more when we win

Trilby
01-11-2017, 11:23 AM
It's nice that there is now a thread where all the people who are angriest about the world can come and be angry with each other.

Reg_Maudling
01-11-2017, 11:57 AM
It's nice that there is now a thread where all the people who are angriest about the world can come and be angry with each other.

I AM NOT ANGRY

Sir.S.C Remembered
01-11-2017, 12:00 PM
Even worse is making post where the poster says, 'I said the same thing on my Pod, the link is in my huge signature, please listen to my pod'

THEDESPERATEPALACEPODCAST LINK
[PLEASE LISTEN

haha lovely dig :);)

mcmean
01-11-2017, 01:32 PM
I'm pleased I'm not the only who finds them fairly shit. They all seem to follow a similar formula, with a balanced(ish) presenter and then several of the following ingredients:

An absolute grade-A moron
Some bellend who tries to pretend he's 'ITK'
Someone with an incredibly annoying voice
Hdeagle or someone just like him
A failed comedian

Personally I quite enjoy the podcasts, but, christ, the people that film themselves need to get their heads out of their own arses

art malice
01-11-2017, 01:35 PM
Personally I quite enjoy the podcasts, but, christ, the people that film themselves need to get their heads out of their own arses

I’d watch that

Maidstoned Eagle
01-11-2017, 01:40 PM
The casts are better than Arsenal TV and other similar wank programmes. You do them a disservice by comparing them.

If we ever have Palace TV, we will need to bury our heads in shame.

Best start digging.

https://www.youtube.com/user/PalaceFanTV

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUye7flG-bzwiXGH55e6pfw

Maidstoned Eagle
01-11-2017, 01:43 PM

A strange assumption that people who express a dislike of podcasts are the "Angriest in the world".

My small complaint is the amount of threads started by each podcaster, and why can't we have just one catch all thread where BBSers can be made aware of the newest one. For what it';s worth the FYP one is the only one I have listened to, and the Andy Gray one was excellent, however, I do think a bit of editing wouldn't go amiss.

eagle mart
01-11-2017, 02:09 PM
I used to like FYP podcast when it was in the Waterfront in Streatham. That pub background noise used have the soothing affect and send me to sleep.

eagle mart
01-11-2017, 02:12 PM
And tbf, HLTCO promoted his blog on here first. I remember reading it and thinking oh god, not another blog - but the dudes done quite well. Fair play.

MFBias
01-11-2017, 02:46 PM
haha lovely dig :);)

I see you made your signature slightly smaller, ... some way still to go.

EDIT, Actually it is the same size, maybe make it smaller?

RDSdaEAGLE
01-11-2017, 03:09 PM
A strange assumption that people who express a dislike of podcasts are the "Angriest in the world".

My small complaint is the amount of threads started by each podcaster, and why can't we have just one catch all thread where BBSers can be made aware of the newest one. For what it';s worth the FYP one is the only one I have listened to, and the Andy Gray one was excellent, however, I do think a bit of editing wouldn't go amiss.

To be fair, we started doing podcast threads (along with the Holmesdale one) because people wanted to find the latest FYP one. The fact that it seems to have started a trend is something we can't control.

We started podcasts because we saw it as an opportunity to discuss and share views on Palace's performances. We don't all agree but equally we don't go into these things with the intention of being controversial. We get a fair few listens every week and the majority of feedback is positive. Of course it's a shame that some people don't like what we do but that's individual taste -- we can't influence that.

We also don't expect people to want to listen to what we have to say. It's an optional thing. You can choose to click on the FYP podcast thread. You can choose to click on the Holmesdale one. You can choose to ignore them. None of this is a requirement of being a Palace fan.

I used to like FYP podcast when it was in the Waterfront in Streatham. That pub background noise used have the soothing affect and send me to sleep.

We would have liked to carry on there but the place changed owners twice in a short space of time and in doing so it became less of a welcoming place for our podcasts. Ho hum.

Pub Idol
01-11-2017, 03:14 PM
I like the Magic Sponge.

Its very deliberate - But good - Often Jimmys mates etc but I enjoy it.

PALACEWU
01-11-2017, 03:28 PM
What's HLTCO dun?

andyocpfc
01-11-2017, 03:51 PM
FWIW....

I love the FYP one.
I like the Hol one.

My commute to work is worse off without listening to a Palace pod. I have the best part of 5 hours a week to fill whilst driving and I would prefer a Palace pod ahead of listening to any commercial radio shit. When I run out of Palace pods, I then listen to the Five live pod which is normally daily but I’m a few days behind by the time I listen to them. On a Friday evening commute, I listen to the Roy press conference.

What other Palace ones are there bar FYP and HOL? Links please.

little al
01-11-2017, 04:29 PM
I like the Magic Sponge.

Its very deliberate - But good - Often Jimmys mates etc but I enjoy it.

Me too. Its very funny at times.

MFBias
01-11-2017, 04:35 PM
I only listen to the FYP, I tried some others but one is enough for me. I like having a thread to be able to be able to discuss things that come up on it or hear other listeners thoughts, and also a place for questions for the show. It is a shame there has been an anti-BBS slant this season from the FYP, which this thread wont help.

AndyStreet
01-11-2017, 04:37 PM

God I miss that pub. :sob:

jimmy the gent
01-11-2017, 05:01 PM
I have to say i'm absolutely delighted there isn't an AFTV equivalent at Palace. Long may that continue.

cpfc4evandeva
01-11-2017, 05:43 PM
I have to say i'm absolutely delighted there isn't an AFTV equivalent at Palace. Long may that continue.

It's blatantly going to happen one day. In hdeagle we have our very own Ty, so who's going to be Claude?

Oli28
01-11-2017, 06:04 PM
Threads about podcasts are easy to avoid if you're not interested.

Having separate ones for each pod is helpful to know when a new one has been released. FYP is really good but I might well miss it being released without the thread being bumped.

BeaverWilly
02-11-2017, 07:58 AM

Having separate ones for each pod is helpful to know when a new one has been released. FYP is really good but I might well miss it being released without the thread being bumped.

Agreed.

Just listened to a new one recorded by a bunch of guys in Australia which was an interesting take. Wouldn't have known about it if I hadn't seen their thread and I'm glad they posted it up on here. Makes sense to do so seeing as their target audience you'd think would be other palace fans.

RDSdaEAGLE
02-11-2017, 10:43 AM
It's blatantly going to happen one day. In hdeagle we have our very own Ty, so who's going to be Claude?

We discussed it a while ago. We won't do it. There isn't a taste for it and typically it makes fans look like idiots.

Scroatey
02-11-2017, 12:40 PM
"Podcasts killed the radio star..." worried Maidstoned as The Buggles 7" spun on his wheels of steel.

danpalace07
02-11-2017, 01:05 PM
I like both main podcasts but any beyond them would have to offer something quite different, a lot more light hearted maybe with a different format. Having all the pods in one thread would end up being confusing imo

Penstone is the obvious choice

What's HLTCO dun?

lots of followers on twitter and getting paid for the blog via Patreon

Maidstoned Eagle
02-11-2017, 07:38 PM

Really? One podcast thread where each podder can post that their latest edition is out wouldn't be enough for you?

Maidstoned Eagle
02-11-2017, 07:40 PM
It is a shame there has been an anti-BBS slant this season from the FYP, which this thread wont help.

Why?

Duffle Coat
02-11-2017, 08:15 PM

After your Peter Wyngarde>Lingard, I'd certainly give it a whirl!

PeterH
02-11-2017, 08:19 PM
I listened to one of the Russell Brand ones. Enjoyable, he loves his long words, though. The one with Frankie Boyle. I will catch a few others / a soothing listen if you are not doing very much.

Oli28
02-11-2017, 08:27 PM
Really? One podcast thread where each podder can post that their latest edition is out wouldn't be enough for you?
Can't you just ignore the threads if you don't like them? It's not compulsory to participate in every thread on this website.

And to be honest I'd rather not have to read one thread about a load of separate podcasts just to find out if the latest FYP has been released or to find out if they have a special guest or something.

andyocpfc
02-11-2017, 08:56 PM
Not listed to this yet so don’t know if he mentions us but might be worth a listen. Super Kev......

https://www.acast.com/thebiginterviewwithgrahamhunter/kevinphillips-phoenixnightsandthemightyquinn

little al
03-11-2017, 06:16 AM
I listened to one of the Russell Brand ones. Enjoyable, he loves his long words, though. The one with Frankie Boyle. I will catch a few others / a soothing listen if you are not doing very much.

Russell Brand is odious.

PeterH
03-11-2017, 06:23 AM
Russell Brand is odious.

I am betwixt on the issue. I can see why people find him odious, certainly. I find I can take him in small doses. I am still trying to work out whether I like him or not.

Remember, I have been out of the country so long that by and large I have avoided what must have been overexposure to the brand of Brand.

Scroatey
03-11-2017, 07:23 AM
Lucky you.

Uncle Neal
03-11-2017, 08:11 AM
Yes the recent proliferation of 'discussion' threads is a point worthy of discussion...although for convenience and to avoid such comments becoming dissipated and lost, I would suggest that a 'discussion threads discussion' thread would make a handy single point of reference.

Absolutely spot on.

Should get a spot in the “work” section of the moderntoss collection!

NB please remember to “like” my comments

Trilby
03-11-2017, 09:37 AM
Absolutely spot on.

Should get a spot in the “work” section of the moderntoss collection!

NB please remember to “like” my comments

Haha Modern Toss is great.

Maidstoned Eagle
03-11-2017, 10:21 PM
Can't you just ignore the threads if you don't like them? It's not compulsory to participate in every thread on this website.

And to be honest I'd rather not have to read one thread about a load of separate podcasts just to find out if the latest FYP has been released or to find out if they have a special guest or something.

I do, I was just expressing an opinion, same as everyone else.

Popester
03-11-2017, 10:42 PM
To save the post count I assume this is now the place to critique the HOL and FYP podcasts? Or should we also critique pod casts that aren’t football related in this thread too?

Or is Maidstone a mere philistine?

Lego Knight
04-11-2017, 08:45 AM

That's the topic that's going to be discussed on this weeks pods.

Maidstoned Eagle
04-11-2017, 08:57 AM
To save the post count I assume this is now the place to critique the HOL and FYP podcasts? Or should we also critique pod casts that aren’t football related in this thread too?

He might be...MaidstoneD however, was merely expressing an opinion on the amount of podcast threads on the BBS and isn't really sure why this, rather gentle and non discriminatory post has singled him out for some of the comments?