PDA

View Full Version : Rumour: Moussa Dembele

Jordan555x
31-10-2017, 11:16 AM
https://youtu.be/FFzjG2AuC7E

Celtics striker, reportedly 17 pl clubs in for him. Surely we are one of those if true.

I never have much confidence in player froms Scottish league but this guy looks shit hot. Best striker they have had since Henrik Larsson IMO

CP-RJW
31-10-2017, 11:42 AM
The bloke that Man United, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal and 13 other Prem clubs are in for? Way out of our league now. We should’ve went for him when he was still in the championship, only costed 500,000!

Kirby
31-10-2017, 11:50 AM
Not a hope in hell. He'll be at a major club by the summer.

BillyTKid
31-10-2017, 11:52 AM
Looks a great prospect but would be a big risk for a club like us. I'm sure the fee will be well north of £25m. Its pretty easy to score goals for celtic. Gary Hooper and Leigh Griffiths for example have better scoring rates that Dembele although obviously he is a lot younger.

CharlieCPFC
31-10-2017, 11:56 AM
We should have pursued this one a few years ago when he was at Fulham. Tosun would be a better bet in my opinion.

BBK
31-10-2017, 12:31 PM
The bloke that Man United, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal and 13 other Prem clubs are in for? Way out of our league now. We should’ve went for him when he was still in the championship, only costed 500,000!

He was out of contract so would have cost more for an English team to sign.

CP-RJW
31-10-2017, 12:43 PM
He was out of contract so would have cost more for an English team to sign.
Ah, my mistake. Still would’ve been a bargain when 40 million is being banded around now :D

Stavros 69
31-10-2017, 03:40 PM
Not a hope in hell. He'll be at a major club by the summer.

You're prob right, but he will need a stepping stone from Scottish football to a big boys league.

JDawg
10-11-2017, 07:21 PM
Why would he come here. More exposure in the Europa League.

CharlieCPFC
18-12-2017, 08:22 AM
Brighton supposedly interested, I think as well being a good player he'd be a good fit in the squad too. We should be all over this.

Vince Hilaire's Afro
18-12-2017, 08:38 AM
If his agent has said 17 PL clubs are in for him, then I suppose we'd best offer him three times the wages we think he's worth, just in case

Thefunkymonk
18-12-2017, 09:35 AM
Brighton supposedly interested, I think as well being a good player he'd be a good fit in the squad too. We should be all over this.

He will not go Brighton. In fact he won’t go to anyone outside top5/6 sides if he comes To premier league

RisZero
18-12-2017, 10:24 AM
:lux:

Thefunkymonk
25-12-2017, 10:26 AM
Bloody Brighton had bud accepted. £18m. Bloke is absolutely quality. We should be in there

CharlieCPFC
25-12-2017, 10:38 AM
Bloody Brighton had bud accepted. £18m. Bloke is absolutely quality. We should be in there

Should but we won't.

Neillo's Son
25-12-2017, 10:44 AM
Only 8 goals in 18 games this season in by far the best side in a terrible league. He’s still very, very young but how many goals would you expect him to score in the PL if he joined in Jan?

Cracking signing for them if true but not one I’d expect an immediate return on.

Thefunkymonk
25-12-2017, 10:50 AM
Only 8 goals in 18 games this season in by far the best side in a terrible league. He’s still very, very young but how many goals would you expect him to score in the PL if he joined in Jan?

Cracking signing for them if true but not one I’d expect an immediate return on.

He’s been injured and had come off bench a fair few times

Martin H
25-12-2017, 10:54 AM

With all the hype I am surprised it is such a low figure. e,g, PVA 12-14m last Xmas.

thereichstuff
25-12-2017, 10:54 AM
Should but we won't.

How do you know we won’t . Now it’s out every club will match the offer and the player will decide .

redeyed
25-12-2017, 10:55 AM
Weed are just being used as a proxy to increase the price when more serious clubs get involved..

Plus the player can always say no :p

RisZero
25-12-2017, 10:56 AM
Ill be honest, no idea wtf Celtic are thinking at only £18m, but we should be all over that

averity
25-12-2017, 10:59 AM
best thing for him wouljd be to go to us or everton, as he wants to be playing all the time

averity
25-12-2017, 11:00 AM
really hope he doesnt go brighton

CharlieCPFC
25-12-2017, 11:01 AM
How do you know we won’t . Now it’s out every club will match the offer and the player will decide .

Have a look at the signings in the past few years we should've gone for and come out with in the end.

Redmond, Cresswell, Lookman etc are all players we should've enticed here.

I understand our recruitment has changed up a bit but I still don't feel were proactive enough in the market.

I hope we change that this January with a steady manager in place.

TheMexicanHorse
25-12-2017, 11:07 AM
He isn’t EPL.

gilesy14
25-12-2017, 11:09 AM
Spoke to someone I know who follows Brighton for the West Sussex County Times - he told me they were in for him. I laughed & said no chance...looks like I was wrong sadly. Hopefully bigger teams will blow them out the water.

dannyturner
25-12-2017, 11:19 AM
Have a look at the signings in the past few years we should've gone for and come out with in the end.

I understand our recruitment has changed up a bit but I still don't feel were proactive enough in the market.

Agree, hope we change our policy slightly, but none of the above have set the world on fire IMO.

thereichstuff
25-12-2017, 11:43 AM

We were in for those players but they chose to go elsewhere . We can only get them if they want to come here .

CP-RJW
25-12-2017, 11:45 AM
Agree, hope we change our policy slightly, but none of the above have set the world on fire IMO.
Redmond is class and a level above Townsend, we missed a trick signing the latter instead.

dave_who_ru
25-12-2017, 11:55 AM
We were supposed to be sniffing around in his last season at Fulham but Spurs wanted to buy him. I believe a fee was agreed but Fulham wanted him on loan for the rest of the season. So when Spurs dropped out a deal could have been done on the basis one for the future. We didn’t and I can’t be ar**d to check who we bought instead. It may be too upsetting and I just want to relax today. As we all know Celtic snapped him up on the cheap at the end of the season and the rest is history.

Definitely one that got away.

PS sorry should have linked to Dembele post

dave_who_ru
25-12-2017, 12:00 PM
Hopefully Roy and Ray Lewington have a good eye for up and coming talent. I suppose I should add in Dougie.

Stinger1
25-12-2017, 12:03 PM
NONSENSE' Celtic deny club have accepted £18million Moussa Dembele bid from Brighton (https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/5209055/celtic-deny-club-have-accepted-18million-moussa-dembele-bid-from-brighton/)

CharlieCPFC
25-12-2017, 02:18 PM
We were in for those players but they chose to go elsewhere . We can only get them if they want to come here .

I don't ever remember us putting in any concrete offers?

Mitcham 74
25-12-2017, 02:49 PM
Breaking... Celtic accept bid from Brighton for striker Moussa Dembélé. Two clubs have reached agreement on transfer fee of £18 million

Pistol Knight
25-12-2017, 03:29 PM
Breaking... Celtic accept bid from Brighton for striker Moussa Dembélé. Two clubs have reached agreement on transfer fee of £18 million

try reading the thread..............

DARZET EAGLE
25-12-2017, 05:01 PM

Post 32?

Dave
03-01-2018, 08:44 PM
https://www.thesportsman.com/articles/celtic-star-moussa-dembele-features-in-crystal-palace-transfer-news-round-up

Sir.S.C Remembered
04-01-2018, 09:27 AM
Ill be honest, no idea wtf Celtic are thinking at only £18m, but we should be all over that

He is young so goal records tend to not be as good at those ages, but his record at Fulham is not amazing and it is 1 in 2 at Celtic. 1 in 2 in the context of their dominance is not ridiculous. It is a big jump to the Premier League but would be good to analyse his performances in Europe if I were a scout (factoring in how many players up unsustainable effort levels for these games).

Tough to judge, but then Virgil made the jump so much.

GreatGonzo
04-01-2018, 09:33 AM
We were supposed to be sniffing around in his last season at Fulham but Spurs wanted to buy him. I believe a fee was agreed but Fulham wanted him on loan for the rest of the season. So when Spurs dropped out a deal could have been done on the basis one for the future. We didn’t and I can’t be ar**d to check who we bought instead. It may be too upsetting and I just want to relax today. As we all know Celtic snapped him up on the cheap at the end of the season and the rest is history.

Definitely one that got away.

PS sorry should have linked to Dembele post

However the fee to us would have been big as he would have been on a tribunal at the end of the season to an English club. Celtic are able to take advantage of the foreign club rules and therefore not face tribunal and get him for knockdown fee.

GreatGonzo
04-01-2018, 09:36 AM
https://www.thesportsman.com/articles/celtic-star-moussa-dembele-features-in-crystal-palace-transfer-news-round-up

Any article suggesting we sign a player on loan from another English club is clearly poorly researched.

Brod
04-01-2018, 09:50 AM
Any article suggesting we sign a player on loan from another English club is clearly poorly researched.
I can't find that article but if it's referring to Celtic, aren't they a Scottish club?

Dave
04-01-2018, 09:52 AM
He is young so goal records tend to not be as good at those ages, but his record at Fulham is not amazing and it is 1 in 2 at Celtic. 1 in 2 in the context of their dominance is not ridiculous. It is a big jump to the Premier League but would be good to analyse his performances in Europe if I were a scout (factoring in how many players up unsustainable effort levels for these games).

Tough to judge, but then Virgil made the jump so much.

This type of thinking makes me angry.

Football transfers are not about buying sure things. This is especially true for centre forwards.

The only teams who can buy guaranteed goals are the top teams and even then it can go very wrong, see Vincent Janssen.

You need to buy potential. Either kids like Moussa or older players not fulfilling their talent.

Would we have bought Wright or AJ based on their records?

GreatGonzo
04-01-2018, 09:53 AM
I can't find that article but if it's referring to Celtic, aren't they a Scottish club?

No the whole article is about Palace.

dave_who_ru
04-01-2018, 09:56 AM
However the fee to us would have been big as he would have been on a tribunal at the end of the season to an English club. Celtic are able to take advantage of the foreign club rules and therefore not face tribunal and get him for knockdown fee.

I read that Spurs had agreed a fee of £5/6m, so that was the most we would have paid. Spurs finished third that season with Kane and Alli making a breakthrough so presumably Spurs decided they could look at more expensive options.

We signed Adebayor in the January window and then bought Benteke in the summer.

GreatGonzo
04-01-2018, 10:03 AM

Football transfers are not about buying sure things. This is especially true for centre forwards.

The only teams who can buy guaranteed goals are the top teams and even then it can go very wrong, see Vincent Janssen.

You need to buy potential. Either kids like Moussa or older players not fulfilling their talent.

Although the fee being touted here (£18m) is higher then the fee Spurs paid for Janssen. Every transfer is a gamble. Strikers from Peterborough look good because they are set up to attack and score goals. Defenders at Burnley look good because they are set up to defend solidly. When put into a team that plays a different way they will look different.

The trouble with Scottish football is the quality of defender and goalkeeper he is having to beat is poor. He scored a 1st minute goal against PSG in a humbling but it was his only goal in Europe. He would be a big gamble for the money he is likely to cost. Scott Sinclair is their top scorer and we have seen him 1st hand.

GreatGonzo
04-01-2018, 10:06 AM
I read that Spurs had agreed a fee of £5/6m, so that was the most we would have paid. Spurs finished third that season with Kane and Alli making a breakthrough so presumably Spurs decided they could look at more expensive options.

We signed Adebayor in the January window and then bought Benteke in the summer.

If Spurs were convinced by him and could have had him for £5m they would have done. Like they did with Alli, who cost £5m. IF that was the case and he did not go there it is because they were not sure he could do it at PL level in the next couple of years.

dave_who_ru
04-01-2018, 10:25 AM
If Spurs were convinced by him and could have had him for £5m they would have done. Like they did with Alli, who cost £5m. IF that was the case and he did not go there it is because they were not sure he could do it at PL level in the next couple of years.

Reading some reports at the time Spurs were considering better players like Berahino and Batshuayi, so who knows.

They ended up buying Vincent Janssen who is now out on loan.

Chillo
04-01-2018, 10:38 AM
Every transfer is a gamble. Strikers from Peterborough look good because they are set up to attack and score goals. Defenders at Burnley look good because they are set up to defend solidly. When put into a team that plays a different way they will look different.

These are very good points GG and the reason why we often see players struggle in teams where we think they should do better.

Add to this the leap in division (say, Peterborough to premiership club) and you can see why even what seems like a good buy at the time can have fans pulling their hair out, when things don't do as planned - 'well he was scoring for fun at {insert name of former club}'.

Nigelbrag
04-01-2018, 11:00 AM
Its staggering to think if we are not interested or not made an enquiry at the very least in a quality young proven player, who's value will only quadruple in time if he proves himself in the premiership which he is more than capable off.
Surely if Brighton have realised the potential of a goldmine then why cant we? we are desperate for another striker if not TWO, so it should be a no brainer especially at the fee mentioned.

stanmar
04-01-2018, 11:01 AM
I would be more interested in analysing his movement and anticipation. Also can he play as lone striker, in a two or ront three.

If he has at least the 1st, then the quoted price being slightly higher than our left backs last Jan is worth the price in this crazy market.

If he only has the limited movement of a Benteke or Gayle, I suggest it's not.

eagle69
04-01-2018, 11:36 AM
Don't want us to sign him at all , a 'good' player in a very average league , who did nothing when in the Championship (prem ?)

BillyTKid
04-01-2018, 11:44 AM
Its staggering to think if we are not interested or not made an enquiry at the very least in a quality young proven player, who's value will only quadruple in time if he proves himself in the premiership which he is more than capable off.
Surely if Brighton have realised the potential of a goldmine then why cant we? we are desperate for another striker if not TWO, so it should be a no brainer especially at the fee mentioned.

Why are you so convinced? 1 in 2 in Scotland is not that amazing and Rodgers doesn’t seem that keen on him this season.

averity
04-01-2018, 11:49 AM
Good player, worth a punt, obviously depending on the price! Maybe we have the same scout looking at him who told warnock van dyke wasn't worth 5 million ;)

DARZET EAGLE
04-01-2018, 12:04 PM

This is is assumption at it's best Nigel. £72m as a future potential sell on if he proves himself is pure fancy at the moment, but I agree with you. Talking of other young stars Fulham have produced I prefer Ryan Sessignon, but I think he is earmarked for a top six club.

Harry Bassett
04-01-2018, 12:37 PM
When you consider players from lower rated leagues you have to look around for clues, in the case of Scotland you need to think of the standard of the defenders that Dembele comes up against and why Rodgers is prepared to sell him?

It used to be the case that the better Scottish players could come into English football and succeed, the playing field has now changed so much that nowadays the top English league is about world footballers and you have to ask if moving to Scotland has enhanced or worked against the progress of Dembele...while he was at Fulham we had a known quantity to measure him against.

We were obviously interested in Tosun in the Turkish league where his goal scoring record is on a par with Adebayor but even at the lower transfer value Palace were involved with It was a risk.

st albans
04-01-2018, 12:39 PM
Its staggering to think if we are not interested or not made an enquiry at the very least

how do you know we haven't? Pretty sure most clubs will be aware of the fee that Celtic are looking for. If we've deemed it too high then no point enquiring

Dave
04-01-2018, 12:45 PM
When you consider players from lower rated leagues you have to look around for clues, in the case of Scotland you need to think of the standard of the defenders that Dembele comes up against and why Rodgers is prepared to sell him?

are you serious? You can't see why Celtic would want to to make ~ 20m profit in a couple of months?

PremierPalace
04-01-2018, 01:09 PM
Don't want us to sign him at all , a 'good' player in a very average league , who did nothing when in the Championship (prem ?)

He was a teenager in the championship wasn’t he? And he wasn’t exactly crap, he attracted a lot of interest back then

Harry Bassett
04-01-2018, 01:28 PM
are you serious? You can't see why Celtic would want to to make ~ 20m profit in a couple of months?

I have not made a comment about transfer value , only about the quality of the player and the risk involved in making an approach to players in lower leagues.

Every club including Celtic want to maximise profit but you have to decide as a buyer if a player matches your criteria first.

Thefunkymonk
04-01-2018, 02:09 PM

Utter tosh.

He is being watched very closely by some of the top clubs in Europe. He is a very very good player and would be a top quality singing for us.. so much so it won’t happen

GreatGonzo
04-01-2018, 02:19 PM

Proven?

lewisuk
04-01-2018, 02:19 PM
For a 21 year old that’s not bad goal scoring stats pretty sure that is around a 1 in 3 over his career so far and I don’t know how many of those games he came on as sub at Fulham
Senior career*
Years Team Apps (Gls)
2013–2016 Fulham 56 (15)
2016– Celtic 42 (21)

Add in 7 goals in 10 for France u21 since 2016

Yeah it’s a risk £20 million for an untested striker in the premier league but I think you will be paying the same kind of money for a striker from elsewhere in Europe who hasn’t scored in the prem . Based on that I think he is worth the gamble who knows he might be able to play from the wing as well if needed

Mr Palace
04-01-2018, 02:23 PM
We will be in for him - he's exactly the type of striker we need. Whether we get him or not is another matter of course.

GreatGonzo
04-01-2018, 02:29 PM
Imagine an 18 year old finding his feet in the Championship. Imagine him scoring 9 goals in the final 19 games of the season.

Imagine.......

Imagine Connor Wickham. At similar age Dembele was not playing very much and not scoring when he did games at the same level. He scored 15 goals in the Championship aged 19/20. However 7 players scored more than that including several who are either currently or have been in the PL and not scored many goals. Still a gamble of a signing and a big one at £18m.

Pete79
04-01-2018, 03:17 PM
Imagine an 18 year old finding his feet in the Championship. Imagine him scoring 9 goals in the final 19 games of the season.

Imagine.......

Imagine Connor Wickham. At similar age Dembele was not playing very much and not scoring when he did games at the same level. He scored 15 goals in the Championship aged 19/20. However 7 players scored more than that including several who are either currently or have been in the PL and not scored many goals. Still a gamble of a signing and a big one at £18m.

Wickham is a good forward. He's never played more than 21 PL games in a given season for poor Sunderland teams and us. He's averaging about a goal every 4 games. That makes him a 10 goal a season forward in the PL which sounds about right. This is similar to Dwight Gayle who is also about a 1 in 4 forward, albeit with more experience, especially in the championship and at the age of 28.

We spent 7 million on Wickham which in todays money would be a steal for a 1 in 4 forward if we could get him on the pitch. Newcastle bought Gayle for £10 million.

Dembele has proven himself in the Championship and Scottish Premiership. So the first £10 million of his £18 million fee is reasonably secure. If he can't quite perform in the PL a championship team will spend millions on him with the hope of getting promoted. It is fairly likely that he can score 1 in 4 1 in 5 like Wickham and Gayle and thus be a decent back up, like Campbell but with a couple more goals. it isn't unreaosnable to expect significant improvement at the age of 21. The risk is losing a few million in value if we sell him but that's surely worth the possibility of him becoming a very good PL forward. The gamble is that if he's our back up forward he may have to start if Benteke gets injured. But with Wickham also possibly coming back it seems to me like a worthwhile gamble. I would be interested to know if he can play off the main striker as Wilf is doing and thus potentially offer an alternative should the unthinkable happen. If he can this becomes a pretty obvious signing for us (should Celtic be willing to sell).

Mr Palace
04-01-2018, 03:35 PM
Dembele has scored goals in the champions league, has he not? I'm not sure what there is not to like about him. Huge potential, big re-sale value if he does well. And he could be first team material right now. Looks a good foil for Benteke too.

carter
04-01-2018, 03:38 PM
He knows where the goal is which is all you want from a striker regardless of the league he plays in. Got all the other attributes to be successful in the Prem as well. Him, Zaha, Townsend and Benteke in attack would be brilliant

Icy
04-01-2018, 03:51 PM
Great signing regardless of playing in the pub league. We have no chance of signing him mind (and i'd be surprised if the tarquins do either)

CP-RJW
04-01-2018, 03:57 PM
He knows where the goal is which is all you want from a striker regardless of the league he plays in. Got all the other attributes to be successful in the Prem as well. Him, Zaha, Townsend and Benteke in attack would be brilliant
Yep, it’s one thing when a physically mediocre player like Gary Hooper tears up the SPL, but Dembele has pace and strength, both of which are very important attributes in the premier league.

Thefunkymonk
04-01-2018, 04:08 PM
Yep, it’s one thing when a physically mediocre player like Gary Hooper tears up the SPL, but Dembele has pace and strength, both of which are very important attributes in the premier league.

Spl gets ridiculed but celtic have a top notch scouting network. Some of te players they find are quality. I like their new centre back ajer. Looks a proper player. I know a fair few people up there and they really rate Dembele although they do say he has an attitude.

Dave
04-01-2018, 04:11 PM

Imagine.......

Lots of teams try and do moneyball. It simply doesn't work.

Stats are not the way to do transfers.

Mr Palace
04-01-2018, 05:00 PM

Definitely.

DARZET EAGLE
04-01-2018, 05:32 PM
Dembele has scored goals in the champions league, has he not? I'm not sure what there is not to like about him. Huge potential, big re-sale value if he does well. And he could be first team material right now. Looks a good foil for Benteke too.

I'm with you Mr P., get him in.

Mr Palace
04-01-2018, 05:35 PM
I'm with you Mr P., get him in.

If it were up to me Darzet...

We'd probably be broke :D

Nigelbrag
04-01-2018, 05:58 PM
In response to "Billy the Kid".

This lad always had a special quality when at Fulham, even though he was only 18 yrs old would finish off chances like an old seasoned finisher. Hence why he had all the big clubs interested but i was really surprised when he joined Celtic for a bargain fee and top premiership hesitated in taking a chance, as we have seen at Celtic he can do the business but also in the Champions league.
What is there not to like.

Nigelbrag
04-01-2018, 06:18 PM
Proven?

Very much has proven his pedigree, just take a look at the stats "LewisUK" produced, if that is not impressive for a 21 yr old to interest us, then we must be brimming with talented strikers at Palace.
This is the kid who has scored some "crackers" for Celtic that i have seen, some may say it is only the Scottish league, but a goalscorer will score wherever as we saw with Kenny Dalglish and Charlie Nicholas when they came over, quality is permanent. Also this lad had the quality to score a beauty against Barca in the Champions league amongst other goals in that league must say something, that makes him good enough for me and surely little old Palace.

Thefunkymonk
04-01-2018, 06:24 PM
I would love him here.. be a great investment aswel.. but not sure We’ll pay the. £25m + celtic will want

Nigelbrag
04-01-2018, 06:31 PM
This is is assumption at it's best Nigel. £72m as a future potential sell on if he proves himself is pure fancy at the moment, but I agree with you. Talking of other young stars Fulham have produced I prefer Ryan Sessignon, but I think he is earmarked for a top six club.

Ok it may be a bit exaggerated my valuation Darzet:) but who's to say if he continues to improve and scores goals in the premiership if he was to join, as we all know strikers are like gold dust then who is to say it wont be even more.
Who would have thought Zaha could be worth in excess of 50m and he cant score:D and Man Utd paid 60m for Martial 2 yrs ago and he is not even a regular, its a crazy market out there.

Se9 eagles
04-01-2018, 06:53 PM
For what it's worth a few rumours on twitter from a reliable source that he could be coming to us!

Thefunkymonk
04-01-2018, 06:58 PM
For what it's worth a few rumours on twitter from a reliable source that he could be coming to us!

Haha I saw that.. how is he reliable? Looked like he was taking Piss to me

Penstone Eagle
04-01-2018, 07:01 PM

Twitter is bollocks.

Se9 eagles
04-01-2018, 07:01 PM

It came second hand from my son sorry!

cpfcfan1
04-01-2018, 07:23 PM
No chance

PremierPalace
04-01-2018, 07:53 PM

Spot on, he was

croydonexile
04-01-2018, 09:43 PM
Not happening. We won't spend £26m total this window let alone on 1 player.

hedge end eagle
04-01-2018, 09:50 PM

So we won't be signing Amadou then? As him and the Ipswich keeper would be 20m or so before a striker

Mr Palace
04-01-2018, 09:53 PM

We'd be foolish not to. We need to invest in three players minimum so can't see us getting away with less than that.

FMH57
04-01-2018, 10:18 PM

Forgetting Dembele, is that spend or net spend? What if say Van Aanholt goes for £10 million?

Sir.S.C Remembered
04-01-2018, 10:19 PM

Benteke was bought based on a proven record.

croydonexile
So we won't be signing Amadou then? As him and the Ipswich keeper would be 20m or so before a striker

Amadou will be a loan (big fee) with view to permanent in the summer I heard.

Might be wrong though..

monkey nuts
Overrated - Watched all home games at Fulham when he played there as I operate the LED on match days - nothing special, SPL makes him look good IMO

cpfcfan1
04-01-2018, 10:37 PM
Same with scott sinclair

GreatGonzo
05-01-2018, 09:06 AM
Very much has proven his pedigree, just take a look at the stats "LewisUK" produced, if that is not impressive for a 21 yr old to interest us, then we must be brimming with talented strikers at Palace.
This is the kid who has scored some "crackers" for Celtic that i have seen, some may say it is only the Scottish league, but a goalscorer will score wherever as we saw with Kenny Dalglish and Charlie Nicholas when they came over, quality is permanent. Also this lad had the quality to score a beauty against Barca in the Champions league amongst other goals in that league must say something, that makes him good enough for me and surely little old Palace.

Seen those and i have clearly said that his scoring in the Championship was below that of several players who either have, or are now playing in the premier league and not scoring many. Scoring lots in the Championship (and Scottish league) does not automatically translate into scoring lots in the PL.

He may well make it, he might not, but £18m is a big gamble for us, it would be our 3rd highest ever transfer fee wouldn't it?

Aged 20 Wickham scored 8 goals in 11 games on loan in the Championship at Sheff Wed. Its far more about whether his attributes will translate.

How about his accuracy shooting? This season 5 Celtic players are more accurate and Dembele has a similar % rate of hitting the target with his shots as their left back! Scott Sinclair leads the way and he leads with goals and assists. So why do you think Dembele will be so much better a player in the PL compared to him?

Dave
05-01-2018, 12:21 PM
Benteke was bought based on a proven record.

Haven't you just proved my point?

Nostrils
06-01-2018, 03:36 PM
http://www.croydonadvertiser.co.uk/sport/football/crystal-palace-celtic-manchester-united-1021202?service=responsive

"At still just 20, Celtic are reportedly targeting £40m for a player they got on a free transfer in 2016." :eek:

bourne man
06-01-2018, 04:00 PM
Wouldn't surprise me if there's something in his contract a release fee of some kind of a prem club comes a courting

Nostrils
07-01-2018, 12:22 PM
Would people be happy to have just one striker if it was this bloke, I think I would. How many spaces will we have in the 25 for all the new signings that we're after anyway? I thought we only had one left. Can we remove Punch and Dann from the 25 now they're out for the season? I can't remember.

If it was to be between us, Brighton, Stoke and Everton I think we'd stand a chance from his point of view if the price was right.

Mr Palace
07-01-2018, 12:50 PM
Would people be happy to have just one striker if it was this bloke, I think I would. How many spaces will we have in the 25 for all the new signings that we're after anyway? I thought we only had one left. Can we remove Punch and Dann from the 25 now they're out for the season? I can't remember.

If it was to be between us, Brighton, Stoke and Everton I think we'd stand a chance from his point of view if the price was right.

We only had 24 players to start with and now Dann and Puncheon are out for the season so that's down to 22. I imagine we will sell one player at least - KaiKai, Mutch (please someone buy him ffs) and Lee could move on.

You don't have to include players in your squad if they are long term injuries but if you don't have 25 players over 21 then they are automatically included. I think that's how it works anyway.

Henry’s Cat
07-01-2018, 12:56 PM
Andy Dorman looked good in Scotland.

Nostrils
07-01-2018, 01:05 PM
Thanks.

If we have the money, I'd love this fella, the Spanish keeper and the French midfield/centre back on loan with view to buy in the summer. Expensive, but possible.

Mr Palace
07-01-2018, 02:29 PM
Thanks.

If we have the money, I'd love this fella, the Spanish keeper and the French midfield/centre back on loan with view to buy in the summer. Expensive, but possible.

That would be good business.

orp pisshead1
07-01-2018, 02:40 PM

:)

jamescav0
14-01-2018, 12:24 AM
https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/5335991/crystal-palace-news-lille-ibrahim-amadou-loan-move/

Bottom of article says we are looking at him. Maybe today shows the tactic Roy wants to play. A smaller fast striker playing off Ben

averity
14-01-2018, 12:25 AM
He would be a massive piece to our jigsaw!

croydonexile
14-01-2018, 02:26 PM
Amadou will be a loan (big fee) with view to permanent in the summer I heard.

Might be wrong though..

RisZero
14-01-2018, 02:27 PM
I like him and wanted him before he went to Celtic. Granted the league he is in makes it difficult to know how good he really is, but this is the kind of player I wouldnt mind taking the gamble on (price dependent of course). Offers something different to Benteke too.

RisZero
14-01-2018, 02:32 PM

Thefunkymonk
14-01-2018, 02:32 PM

Tease

Nostrils
14-01-2018, 02:35 PM
Never seen him play in person, but from what I have seen, he has an amazing first touch, but I guess that there are as many dodgy ones that don't make his youtube videos. He would definitely be my first choice if we can afford it, no idea what a realistic price would be though.

DARZET EAGLE
14-01-2018, 05:55 PM

What in a kilt?:cool:

Surrey Eagle
14-01-2018, 07:00 PM
I would love to see him here, several French lads here as well...

SeanPalace84
14-01-2018, 07:54 PM

16eagles
14-01-2018, 09:02 PM
If we win next 2 games( unlikely) we will look in very good position, practically safe and top half side. Could tempt him and wouldn’t be risk. Wouldn’t pay more than 17mill. I feel they would want over 20 which yes is ridiculous.

davech
14-01-2018, 11:14 PM

Off to Arsenal then :rolleyes:

Jordan555x
15-01-2018, 07:17 AM

Who says a decent Europa league side would play him? Scottish league is a lot weaker dont forget, personally I think we would be perfect for him. Stepping stone definitely but Zero risks and plenty of exposure playing in PL, the players on our books are on very handsome wages so why wouldnt he be? He could go to Europa league french side for example where he will get gauranteed games but thats not even a step forward!

McpfcS
15-01-2018, 07:34 AM
Who says a decent Europa league side would play him? Scottish league is a lot weaker dont forget, personally I think we would be perfect for him. Stepping stone definitely but Zero risks and plenty of exposure playing in PL, the players on our books are on very handsome wages so why wouldnt he be? He could go to Europa league french side for example where he will get gauranteed games but thats not even a step forward!

He’s playing for a Europa league side currently

Davy64
15-01-2018, 09:39 AM

2 words....

Roy Hodgson

mushroom
15-01-2018, 09:41 AM
1 word

Money

Martin H
15-01-2018, 09:42 AM
1 word

Money

Argent

Thefunkymonk
15-01-2018, 09:43 AM
We won’t spend the money he would cost

theCoach
15-01-2018, 09:48 AM
Would be pleasantly surprised if we got him........

BBK
15-01-2018, 09:52 AM

Who play in a shit league. He probably wants to come to the EPL for 6 months at a bottom half team, score goals and then have the chance to go to a good team in europe and start rather than go there now and get some games off the bench.

Martin H
15-01-2018, 11:15 AM
We won’t spend the money he would cost

He would be an investment I am sure but I agree that we are unlikely to spend, or be able to spend that much. STCC.

Thefunkymonk
15-01-2018, 11:23 AM
sky reporting our interest

MonsterMunch
15-01-2018, 11:26 AM
He would be an investment I am sure but I agree that we are unlikely to spend, or be able to spend that much. STCC.

It would be a investment you are right, a calculated risk. I'm sure we can afford it. Depends what their mindset is. Do we pay 10m+ for Sakho or Niasse with little or no appreciation or do we lump a bit on with a talented youngster whose value will only go up with a few goals and exposure in the premier league?

Jordan555x
15-01-2018, 11:36 AM

Celtic are a decent Europa league side?

Crunchie
15-01-2018, 11:40 AM
sky reporting our interest

Sky bet goes mad :supergrin:

However, Van Dijk played in a shit league too. I really wanted him to sign for us whilst at Fulham.

If a Scottish loan is a foreign one, why not pay a large loan fee with a view to a pre-agreed fee, 1st choice etc, to see how he gets on?

Nostrils
15-01-2018, 11:53 AM

However, Van Dijk played in a shit league too. I really wanted him to sign for us whilst at Fulham.

If a Scottish loan is a foreign one, why not pay a large loan fee with a view to a pre-agreed fee, 1st choice etc, to see how he gets on?
That's a really good shout actually. Not sure they would see it that way for Dembele, but that Jozo Simunovic (?) Could be a decent cover and we could assess his injuries without committing.

RisZero
15-01-2018, 12:10 PM
Unlike 99%+ of other players in that league, he has actually been linked to some of the top clubs in our league in seasons past which is encouraging

Whoru
15-01-2018, 05:39 PM
Frustrating that we didn't sign him from Fulham. Now we would have to spend about twenty times as much. ( not to mention unproven in EPL).

in-exile
15-01-2018, 05:44 PM
Everyone had heard or seen he was great for Fulham before he went to Scotland ... Apart from our football scouts it seems!

Ruskin Old Boy
16-01-2018, 11:45 AM

HLTCO has it about right:

http://www.hltco.org/2018/01/16/palaces-interest-celtics-dembele-shows-sky-sports-worst/

Sky. Believe in betting.

spt1978
16-01-2018, 01:51 PM
Would love this to happen.

herts_palace
16-01-2018, 09:59 PM
Everyone had heard or seen he was great for Fulham before he went to Scotland ... Apart from our football scouts it seems!

Not quite. I saw him play for Fulham at Ipswich and was not impressed.

TheCharmer1
17-01-2018, 11:20 AM
Sounds like he’s first choice now

Thefunkymonk
17-01-2018, 11:42 AM
Sounds like he’s first choice now

Where did you hear that?

cpfcfan1
17-01-2018, 11:44 AM
Yes please

ebyeeckeagle
17-01-2018, 12:29 PM

Erm, so why did no other club take him either?

ebyeeckeagle
17-01-2018, 12:33 PM

What does a single game really show? Either way?

I have no idea how good he might or might not be at this level. In reality, no one does. Unless a player is so clearly that good, in which case of course, we would not be in with a sniff.

ForzaPalace
17-01-2018, 12:40 PM

Maybe he wanted to go to Celtic where he knew he'd be starting regularly. Think he was linked with Spurs but probably knew he'd be on the bench at best.

Palacebear
17-01-2018, 12:44 PM

None of the English clubs obviously fancied taking a chance with him & paying a c.£3-5m tribunal fee.

This was avoided with the cross border transfer & Celtic only paid about £400k for him. A great bit of business by them.

st albans
17-01-2018, 12:44 PM

by the same logic you could look at zaha at the weekend and not have been impressed

Jim Cannon
17-01-2018, 12:53 PM
by the same logic you could look at zaha at the weekend and not have been impressed

Yep he didn't exactly look worth north of 50M did he

Martin H
17-01-2018, 01:13 PM
Yep he didn't exactly look worth north of 50M did he

He has stuttered a little after a sensational return and I just wonder if he is carrying an injury or something. He also seems to be backsliding a little on his temper control (not that you could blame him but....) which has improved a lot this year. Again if he is struggling with injury maybe that is winding him up a little tighter.

Owngoal
17-01-2018, 01:24 PM
He has stuttered a little after a sensational return and I just wonder if he is carrying an injury or something. He also seems to be backsliding a little on his temper control (not that you could blame him but....) which has improved a lot this year. Again if he is struggling with injury maybe that is winding him up a little tighter.

Thought it was said he had a virus but played?

herts_palace
17-01-2018, 01:26 PM
Agreed, but if you were actively looking to buy him you would watch him more than once. I'm not a scout just an observer.

Martin H
17-01-2018, 01:26 PM
Thought it was said he had a virus but played?

That makes sense. Hadn't heard that but feel happier that there is an explanation. O

herts_palace
17-01-2018, 01:32 PM
What does a single game really show? Either way?

I have no idea how good he might or might not be at this level. In reality, no one does. Unless a player is so clearly that good, in which case of course, we would not be in with a sniff.
Well all players can have a bad game. That's why I guess scouts watch players over several if not many games. In one game you can't measure consistency of performance for example. However if he did something brilliant that not many players could do you could probably say that he had a high technical level, that would warrant a few more watches.

I'm just reporting my initial impression and based on that one game only I would not have bought him.

GreatGonzo
17-01-2018, 01:37 PM
None of the English clubs obviously fancied taking a chance with him & paying a c.£3-5m tribunal fee.

This was avoided with the cross border transfer & Celtic only paid about £400k for him. A great bit of business by them.

£3-5m?

Tribunal fee would have been £10m+.

in-exile
17-01-2018, 01:45 PM
Maybe he wanted to go to Celtic where he knew he'd be starting regularly. Think he was linked with Spurs but probably knew he'd be on the bench at best.At the time most report's had a move to Spurs down as the done deal ... I believe you are right that Celtic were offering a first team start place.

Madden
17-01-2018, 02:05 PM
At the time most report's had a move to Spurs down as the done deal ... I believe you are right that Celtic were offering a first team start place.

And probably a huge signing-on fee as they had such a low transfer fee to pay Fulham!

Surrey Eagle
17-01-2018, 09:39 PM
I would love to have him, does anyone else agree he looks the real deal?

Thefunkymonk
17-01-2018, 09:46 PM
I would love to have him, does anyone else agree he looks the real deal?

He’s and excellent prospect. Highly sought after when he left Fulham.. if he surprised if he came to us and if we paid the fee Celtic would want (rumoured to be in excess of £25m plus sell on). If he did it would be a stepping stone for a year or two before he moved on.. which I suppose is fine if we get a big fee and he does well for us.

The Drive Man
17-01-2018, 10:05 PM
If we’re looking to spend that sort of money Iheanacho would be a safer bet with proven Prem quality. And still plenty of scope to improve.

Thefunkymonk
17-01-2018, 10:14 PM
If we’re looking to spend that sort of money Iheanacho would be a safer bet with proven Prem quality. And still plenty of scope to improve.

Wouldn’t class Ineanacho as proven prem quality.. he made few sub appearances for the best side in the country where he was gifted chances.. big money move to Leicester and he’s done **** all and they want to sell.

Palacebear
17-01-2018, 10:26 PM
£3-5m?

Tribunal fee would have been £10m+.

£3-5m was the estimated tribunal figure given by the scout who courted dembele and got him to go to Celtic.

Given that the Ings tribunal fee of £6.5m is the biggest so far and that was at a similar time to the dembele transfer, I doubt it would have been £10m+.

Also dembele was not at Fulham that long, so that reduces the tribunal fee.

Martin H
17-01-2018, 10:39 PM
I think I have managed to dodge Moussa D's better games because whenever I have seen him he has looked raw and if anything a little clumsy. Obviously I haven't seen much/enough of him as he seems to score goals and has been highly rated for ages.

Jim Cannon
17-01-2018, 11:18 PM
I think I have managed to dodge Moussa D's better games because whenever I have seen him he has looked raw and if anything a little clumsy. Obviously I haven't seen much/enough of him as he seems to score goals and has been highly rated for ages.

Same here as far as Celtic goes but he looked a bit useful at Fulham.

Martin H
18-01-2018, 07:28 AM
Same here as far as Celtic goes but he looked a bit useful at Fulham.

Just found last season highlights Vid and that's impressive and not what I saw in the few matches I watched. Must have just caught him at the wrong time - odd though. Seems to have missed quite a few games this year. Not sure why?

Neillo's Son
18-01-2018, 07:34 AM
You can discount quite a few goals in the SPL as being unlikely to appear in our top league, but he’s scored against some of the worlds best in the CL so there’s clearly a lot of talent there and still very young.

Are Celtic actually willing to sell at £20mill?

Surrey Eagle
18-01-2018, 07:52 AM
He’s and excellent prospect. Highly sought after when he left Fulham.. if he surprised if he came to us and if we paid the fee Celtic would want (rumoured to be in excess of £25m plus sell on). If he did it would be a stepping stone for a year or two before he moved on.. which I suppose is fine if we get a big fee and he does well for us.
I do agree with this with the fee.

Montyburns76
20-01-2018, 06:22 PM
Some people are really quite sJames Niles
James Niles
@JamesNmirror
Can confirm Palace have reached an agreement with Celtic for the transfer that involves Moussa Dembele.

Fee believed to be around £27m with add ons. The deal could, potentially, rise to rise £30m. #CPFCad .....

Malarkey
20-01-2018, 06:24 PM
James Niles
@JamesNmirror
Can confirm Palace have reached an agreement with Celtic for the transfer that involves Moussa Dembele.

Fee believed to be around £27m with add ons. The deal could, potentially, rise to rise £30m. #CPFCad .....

Who is James Niles

Has like 2 followers

Jim Cannon
20-01-2018, 06:26 PM
Smells of bullshit

carter
20-01-2018, 06:28 PM
Convenient it’s the first ever tweet of the account. Got my excited for a minute. Just like Loafster did earlier

st albans
20-01-2018, 06:29 PM
James Niles
@JamesNmirror

Lol

henryhallandhisbasque
20-01-2018, 06:30 PM
It looks like he’s a Pastor from the Tabernacle School of Ministry, which is great, because after today’s debacle, it needs somebody to work a miracle from God to get anybody to agree to sign for us.

4 cryingOutloud
20-01-2018, 06:32 PM
Who is James Niles

Has like 2 followers

Why LIKE? He either has or he hasn't. LIKE = Californian girl talk.

Martin H
20-01-2018, 06:32 PM
James Niles
@JamesNmirror

2 followers - it's silly season again and we should expect this all week etc. 11 days of bliss - NOT.

SJ'sLoveMonkey
20-01-2018, 06:33 PM
Utter tosh

DARZET EAGLE
20-01-2018, 09:19 PM

:lux:

alexcpfc
20-01-2018, 09:25 PM

James Niles

@JamesNmirror

We ain’t paying that sort of money for anyone in this window.

Olympian2
20-01-2018, 09:35 PM
We ain’t paying ANY sort of money for ANYONE in this window.

EFA

MFBias
20-01-2018, 10:14 PM

Exactly what I was thinking. I was going to let it go but thankyou.

Stavros 69
20-01-2018, 10:53 PM
£27m lol
No chance

AJ
20-01-2018, 11:25 PM
£27m lol
No chance
Maybe that is Scottish pounds?

Wolfnipplechips
20-01-2018, 11:35 PM
Who is James Niles

Has like 2 followers

One or three?

Staines Eagle
21-01-2018, 12:03 AM
James Niles
@JamesNmirror

It says that it "involves " Dembele, not necessarily signing him.

He might just be making the sandwiches for the contract negotiation meetings for Griffiths.

the drexciyan
21-01-2018, 06:36 AM
Chuck in Jordan Mutch as a makeweight. He might even look like a footballer in that league.

eagle69
21-01-2018, 07:24 AM
Chuck in Jordan Mutch as a makeweight. He might even look like a footballer in that league.

Jordan Mtch has already chucked it in

Vince Hilaire's Afro
21-01-2018, 07:37 AM
It feels as though this transfer speculation has been highly engineered by the agent trying to capitalise on a bit of success at Celtic. I don think there's been any bit as much actual 'interest' in his client as we've read about, and I'd feel like us, or any club paying anything like the fee being quoted has been mugged off a bit

Billy Rhino
21-01-2018, 07:47 AM

Like, you know, whatever

Or it could be Geordie talk, but then the like would be on the end like

Gazza2
21-01-2018, 08:00 AM
Frustrating that we'd have to pay so much now as he was a big noise in U18s football at Fulham and always looked decent in the 3 matches I saw him play v our U18s. So much so that there was a suggestion that Palace had spoken to Fulham at that time to see if they'd be willing to accept £1m for him which was not an inconsiderable sum for someone who hadn't played a 1st team game.
This was before teams like Spurs and Celtic were in for him.

Malarkey
21-01-2018, 09:26 AM
One or three?

Malarkey
21-01-2018, 09:27 AM

But I am a Californian girl

Nostrils
21-01-2018, 10:17 AM

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/a4/d5/f3/a4d5f311b881a70710bf17cee25ed975.jpg

Mr Palace
21-01-2018, 11:00 AM
This is the striker we need - a penalty box predator who can score. Unlike anything we have in the squad.

bigend1
21-01-2018, 11:07 AM
This is the striker we need - a penalty box predator who can score. Unlike anything we have in the squad.

I’m kind of hoping the handful of cheap options were seeing coming might facilitate a deal like this

Benteke, dembele, ulloa and wickham as and when fit is actually a very good set of options for us

Mr Palace
21-01-2018, 11:07 AM
I’m kind of hoping the handful of cheap options were seeing coming might facilitate a deal like this

Benteke, dembele, ulloa and when wickham as and when fit is actually a very good set of options for us

Yep me too - hopefully saving the majority of our budget for some real quality.

Chewbacca
21-01-2018, 02:11 PM
If we could rob Gamiero I would over Dembele

DARZET EAGLE
21-01-2018, 02:38 PM

Thought so.:supergrin:

Malarkey
21-01-2018, 04:18 PM
If we could rob Gamiero I would over Dembele

Gameiro's first name isn't Rob

16eagles
22-01-2018, 11:01 PM
He’s off this window defo then! We could sign him if want I feel, Back to London- many French speaking players but..will be 25 mill won’t it!? Not sure what they would want for him.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/908402/Celtic-news-Moussa-Dembele-Peter-Lawwell-Chris-Davies-Odsonne-Edouard

RisZero
22-01-2018, 11:03 PM
Mutch could probably kick it in the Scottish Prem right

Pikie Punisher
22-01-2018, 11:07 PM
He’s off this window defo then! We could sign him if want I feel, Back to London- many French speaking players but..will be 25 mill won’t it!? Not sure what they would want for him.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/908402/Celtic-news-Moussa-Dembele-Peter-Lawwell-Chris-Davies-Odsonne-Edouard

"Brighton are out of the running for Dembele and it now remains to be seen if suitors such as Everton, West Ham, Crystal Palace and Southampton step up their interest"

Gregz41
22-01-2018, 11:19 PM
This would be incredibly exciting. If £20m is the asking price and we were reportedly interested in Babacar at £14m, I think we should push the boat for Dembele. The perception in world football that Dembele's ceiling is a lot higher, he is younger and could be a player we might get offers of £50m+ one day.

Easy to say when it's not my money, but the extra £6m could represent great investment.

Naboo
22-01-2018, 11:39 PM
Dembele scored 17 goals in his last season in the championship for Fulham at 19 years old. That would make him a £20m player in today's market regardless of what he has done since at Celtic which has been equally impressive.
At 21, he has all the attributes to be a top, top striker - quick, strong, good in the air and strong with both feet. Forget that he plays in the Scottish league - he has come from the PSG academy so has serious talent. We should be going all out to get him.

Die hard Hoj
23-01-2018, 02:34 AM
Can’t we just buy him and forget all the other shite on here. ��

bubbs11
23-01-2018, 02:45 AM
My Celtic mate up here - who knows his football - is not impressed with him at all.

Zohar's Penalty
23-01-2018, 07:36 AM
I was a bit sceptical about whether he would cut it at this level, but after Swansea beating Liverpool last night I’ve woken up this morning & I’m panicking so I’m now adamant we should sign him before lunchtime today. 20 million, and throw in Mutch, Lee, 3 crystals & Phil Alexander.

Tim
23-01-2018, 07:55 AM
I was a bit sceptical about whether he would cut it at this level, but after Swansea beating Liverpool last night I’ve woken up this morning & I’m panicking so I’m now adamant we should sign him before lunchtime today. 20 million, and throw in Mutch, Lee, 3 crystals & Phil Alexander.

Surely Mutch & Lee could do a job north of border? We really need to get shot of them both in this window.

ForzaPalace
23-01-2018, 09:00 AM
Surely Mutch & Lee could do a job north of border? We really need to get shot of them both in this window.

Can't sell players who no one wants. They must have shit agents. Both shit purchases too. For every Luka and Tomkins theres a Mutch and Lee

ebyeeckeagle
23-01-2018, 09:02 AM

Wages. Particularly Mutch, if some figures are to be believed. Bolton apparently were interest in Lee, they didn't bother following it up!

cpfcfan1
23-01-2018, 09:11 AM
Would be another for the u23s