PDA

View Full Version : van Aanholt Daily Star story

bubbs11
05-11-2017, 06:51 AM
https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/657463/Crystal-Palace-news-Patrick-van-Aanholt-shisha-Newcastle-Premier-League

Banger
05-11-2017, 06:59 AM
Ban him for life :)

GtExpectations
05-11-2017, 07:01 AM
Aside from the smoking side, which may not be great for a pro player/anyone, why is that article making such an issue of getting back to London from Newcastle within an afternoon/evening?

Feels like an attempted sting for the sake of it?!

Ogilvy
05-11-2017, 07:41 AM
In tomorrow's daily star apparently they also caught him turning up for training early and laughing with a sainsburys worker....WHO WAS A GIRL, all this at 8:15am, when will he learn? Disgraceful even more so because we're bottom of the league, and the fish counter doesn't open until 9am so obviously buying chocolate and fireworks.

McpfcS
05-11-2017, 07:41 AM
Total non story. Though he has been playing like there’s more than just tobacco and nicotine in his shisha.

Yoda
05-11-2017, 07:59 AM
Total non story. Though he has been playing like there’s more than just tobacco and nicotine in his shisha.

Is it a ‘non story’?

If it effects his health and fitness then I think it’s something the club has to consider and discuss with him, just as they would if a player had a more conventional smoking habit.

If this photo had been taken during his summer holiday, then I’d be more inclined to shrug my shoulders about it.

McpfcS
05-11-2017, 08:01 AM
Is it a ‘non story’?

If it effects his health and fitness then I think it’s something the club has to consider and discuss with him, just as they would if a player had a more conventional smoking habit.

If this photo had been taken during his summer holiday, then I’d be more inclined to shrug my shoulders about it.

Many players smoke

Eaglesfan1
05-11-2017, 08:01 AM
Is it a ‘non story’?

I think it's a non story. Similar to the fuss the press made about Rooney getting drunk at a wedding after an England game.

Palace Kebab
05-11-2017, 08:22 AM
Unprofessional, but so is my wanking in the work toilets when I’m bored

Kai
05-11-2017, 08:26 AM
The effects of it were still felt in Bristol...

Golf Boy
05-11-2017, 08:30 AM
Cham liked to sneak a fag i`ve heard.

SeanPalace84
05-11-2017, 08:34 AM
Unprofessional, but so is my wanking in the work toilets when I’m bored

:supergrin: We've all been there

dave_who_ru
05-11-2017, 08:42 AM
Third hand story but I was told recently by someone who had a mate working with the players that several of them smoke. Not sure what but they thought it was very unprofessional.

bradpitt
05-11-2017, 08:44 AM
I just knew as soon as I clicked into that link it would start ‘Premier league star...’

sylvan eagle
05-11-2017, 08:53 AM
If it’s true Roy won’t have this

Braders
05-11-2017, 08:55 AM
He's been toilt and doesnt seem to give a shit about Palace but I don't see an issue with this 'eclusive' to be honest.

orp pisshead1
05-11-2017, 09:09 AM
He's been toilt and doesnt seem to give a shit about Palace but I don't see an issue with this 'eclusive' to be honest.

But if it means we’ve an excuse to get rid of him ( he’s ******* awful) ;)

Nigelbrag
05-11-2017, 09:09 AM
We all know it is something as a professional sportsman he should avoid, but these are Footballers who today are a law unto themselves so impossible for a manager to reprimand, so how does he stop it.
Having said that he could have been doing something a lot worse like cocaine etc, unfortunately managing a football team today isn't only about getting it right on the pitch, it is also being able to become nanny off the pitch to many spoilt overpaid under performing brats.

CharlieCPFC
05-11-2017, 09:16 AM
If he were putting in 8/10 performances in a consistent basis nobody would give a shit.

Complete non story.

Penstone Eagle
05-11-2017, 09:21 AM
Blokes not a team player anyway, sooner he ***** off the better

Vince Hilaire's Afro
05-11-2017, 09:22 AM
Those surprised at the existence of this piece despite it being a 'non-story' - you've perused the rest of the 'headlines' on the page, I presume!

davo
05-11-2017, 09:34 AM
If he were putting in 8/10 performances in a consistent basis nobody would give a shit.

Complete non story.

if he was doing Ok I would not care about this story but he doesn't give that level of performance, i think he puts int he lowest level of effort of all our players

Owngoal
05-11-2017, 09:41 AM
If it really is equivalent to smoking 200 cigarettes demonstrates he is not particularly professional in keeping fit. Have not been overly impressed with a guy who cost us 14 million. LB should be nailed down for him, it isn't.

chrisophiex
05-11-2017, 09:42 AM
if he was doing Ok I would not care about this story but he doesn't give that level of performance, i think he puts int he lowest level of effort of all our players

He's puffing after a few minutes.

Yoda
05-11-2017, 10:55 AM
Many players smoke

I imagine some do, doesn’t make it the right thing for a v highly paid professional athlete to do.

I also expect their clubs encourage them not to, just as they’d be expecting them to maintain a healthy weight, stay of drugs etc etc.

It also depends on the extent of their habit. Is it once in a blue moon, or daily?

Yoda
05-11-2017, 10:59 AM
Cham liked to sneak a fag i`ve heard.

I do remember seeing a story on this.

Maybe if Cham hadn’t done this sort of thing, he’d have had a more glittering and longer career?

sheepy
05-11-2017, 11:07 AM
It's only a non story if he's playing well.

Considering his form and apparent attitude on and off the pitch, personally I'd see that as grounds for more serious repurcussions.

Blowing off steam is one thing. Doing it on a habitual basis as a professional sportsmanship would be grounds for fines / termination of contract in my book.

Scifo
05-11-2017, 11:24 AM
If it really is equivalent to smoking 200 cigarettes demonstrates he is not particularly professional in keeping fit. Have not been overly impressed with a guy who cost us 14 million. LB should be nailed down for him, it isn't.

it isn't though

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2011/aug/22/shisha-smoking-how-bad-is-it

According to Chaouachi, studies led by independent researchers at the Royal University of Saudi Arabia have shown that shisha smoke is 30 times less concentrated in chemicals than cigarette smoke, contradicting the WHO's warnings. "It is ludicrous and anti-scientific to claim that hookah or shisha smoke is 200 times more toxic than cigarette smoke," he says. "While about 5,000 chemicals have been identified so far in cigarette smoke, chemists and pharmacologists from Saudi Arabia only found 142 chemicals in shisha smoke. Also, a medical team in Pakistan found that shisha smoke can be much less carcinogenic and radioactive than cigarette smoke."

Dr Mags
05-11-2017, 12:31 PM
it isn't though

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2011/aug/22/shisha-smoking-how-bad-is-it

There are studies and then there are studies. Was it published in the British Medical Journal or the New England Journal of Medicine?

beef
05-11-2017, 12:35 PM
Think we're seeing the PvA who Sunderland fans loved so much

Mictor Voses
05-11-2017, 12:48 PM
Never liked his character and this proves it.

TWELLSEagle
05-11-2017, 01:19 PM

Scifo
05-11-2017, 01:40 PM
There are studies and then there are studies. Was it published in the British Medical Journal or the New England Journal of Medicine?

Any studies that come up with "200 x the effect of smoking a cigarette" are the ones I would question. It's blatantly shite used to sensationalise a story

jaspercpfc
05-11-2017, 02:40 PM

Lombardo used to smoke and he was regarded by Sir Steve as the consummate profession

Glazier69
05-11-2017, 04:37 PM
I bet Yo reeks of garlic and Gitanes!

Yoda
05-11-2017, 04:53 PM
I bet Yo reeks of garlic and Gitanes!

With a top note of Hugo Boss to please his sponsors.

nash84
05-11-2017, 09:05 PM
I can tell you of a footballer who smokes like a chimney and orders 7 portions of tiramisu for dessert. I watched the same player put in a man of the match performance today for Roma vs Florentina. NON STORY

Brod
05-11-2017, 09:29 PM
:supergrin: We've all been there

You really should find your own cubicle.

brighton_eagle
07-11-2017, 10:02 AM
Premier league football players get paid a small fortune and part of what they are expected to do for that money is look after their fitness. It's the least I'd expect of a highly paid professional athlete. Smoking anything can't be good for his fitness so this is unacceptable imo. Once he's retired as a millionaire aged 35 he can do what he wants.

Penstone Eagle
07-11-2017, 12:03 PM
Premier league football players get paid a small fortune and part of what they are expected to do for that money is look after their fitness. It's the least I'd expect of a highly paid professional athlete. Smoking anything can't be good for his fitness so this is unacceptable imo. Once he's retired as a millionaire aged 35 he can do what he wants.

They should give a shit too, he doesn't.

jmemour
07-11-2017, 12:16 PM

jmemour

jmemour
Hopefully flog him to Everton when Sam takes over. Only manager that can get a tune out of the guy.

Zulu84
07-11-2017, 01:09 PM

Do you remember what it was like to be in your 20's? Now add fame and money...the fact most players stay out of trouble is actually quite remarkable and I think they deserve a little leeway on things like this.

in-exile
07-11-2017, 01:16 PM
Unprofessional, but so is my wanking in the work toilets when I’m boredkebab sauce....not good!

Maiden Eagle
07-11-2017, 02:37 PM
Hopefully flog him to Everton when Sam takes over. Only manager that can get a tune out of the guy.

Did even play that well for us under Big Sam. I know he got a vital winning goal against Boro and he was injured for a few games, but he didn't impress much me, last season.
It says a lot that an out of form right back, playing on the left, looked way better than PVA, on Sunday

Owngoal
07-11-2017, 02:52 PM
Did even play that well for us under Big Sam. I know he got a vital winning goal against Boro and he was injured for a few games, but he didn't impress much me, last season.
It says a lot that an out of form right back, playing on the left, looked way better than PVA, on Sunday

He was certainly not worth £14 million unless there were other benefits (cough, cough) Sam?

gilesy14
07-11-2017, 03:01 PM
Quickly becoming one of my most hated Palace players. Fortunately the fact we still have Jordon Mutch means PvA could call my mother a slag & shag my sister, & he still wouldn't be the biggest c*nt at the club.

jimmy the gent
07-11-2017, 03:10 PM
Can someone explain why Mutch gets such abuse? I realise he's not good enough, but in his defence the only time he ever played consistently he improved significantly, then was dropped by Pardew. Since then he's been rotting in the reserves, in the way of one or two players at any club at any given time. To my mind he's a poor footballer who was given a contract above their value by a pair of mugs, and now is disilusioned. Needs a move, and no doubt will go on a free to a lower champ club which would be his level.

PVA on the other hand has form for being a sulky, unprofessional git, and is putting in awful performances week on week, while having good natural talents. While he's in the squad he should be supported by the fans, but personally i cannot stand him. Has the talent, just thinks defending and concentrating are beneath him.

ebyeeckeagle
07-11-2017, 03:13 PM
Johan Cruyff was famous for his smoking. (I feel slightly bad in using his name in a PVA thread).

FourtyTwo
07-11-2017, 03:21 PM
Can someone explain why Mutch gets such abuse? I realise he's not good enough, but in his defence the only time he ever played consistently he improved significantly, then was dropped by Pardew. Since then he's been rotting in the reserves, in the way of one or two players at any club at any given time. To my mind he's a poor footballer who was given a contract above their value by a pair of mugs, and now is disilusioned. Needs a move, and no doubt will go on a free to a lower champ club which would be his level.

PVA on the other hand has form for being a sulky, unprofessional git, and is putting in awful performances week on week, while having good natural talents. While he's in the squad he should be supported by the fans, but personally i cannot stand him. Has the talent, just thinks defending and concentrating are beneath him.

I think a lot of it stems from something in your post I would disagree with - I actually think Mutch is good enough, and could be an asset to a lot of clubs outside the top six. The problem is his effort and application - he just doesn't bother. Even when given the chance to prove himself under new managers, he just doesn't look interested. Three managers have come in since he signed, and not one has seen fit to have him consistently in the match day squad. And on the odd occasion he has been, he hasn't done what you'd expect and actually put in a performance worthy of him playing more frequently.

Maybe I'm wrong, and he just isn't good enough, but my frustration is that I think he is, but isn't bothering to try!

wedgetail
07-11-2017, 03:39 PM

Because he is a lazy fecking shirker.

Martin H
07-11-2017, 03:48 PM
Quickly becoming one of my most hated Palace players. Fortunately the fact we still have Jordon Mutch means PvA could call my mother a slag & shag my sister, he still wouldn't be the biggest c*nt at the club.

'hated'? I am no fan of PVA as a player but that would be crazy.

Re the Daily Star story - WTF are they doing trying to whip a story out of that FFS. There is so much wrong in the world to write about at the moment and they want to make a fuss over a footballer going for a meal and have a smoke or whatever the right word is. If we start taking these 'rags' seriously then we only have ourselves to blame.

gilesy14
07-11-2017, 03:49 PM
'hated'? I am no fan of PVA as a player but that would be crazy.

Re the Daily Star story - WTF are they doing trying to whip a story out of that FFS. There is so much wrong in the world to write about at the moment and they want to make a fuss over a footballer going for a meal and have a smoke or whatever the right word is. If we start taking these 'rags' seriously then we only have ourselves to blame.

For the fee we paid & the way he seems to not really give a toss, he's not particularly likeable...

Martin H
07-11-2017, 03:58 PM
For the fee we paid & the way he seems to not really give a toss, he's not particularly likeable...

:)

Jordan's Jacket
07-11-2017, 04:01 PM
he is a Dutch pikey

exiledeagle
07-11-2017, 04:11 PM
Quickly becoming one of my most hated Palace players. Fortunately the fact we still have Jordon Mutch means PvA could call my mother a slag & shag my sister, he still wouldn't be the biggest c*nt at the club.

He needs to up his game for sure , but I certainly do not hate him and hope he comes good .

Owngoal
07-11-2017, 04:51 PM
Johan Cruyff was famous for his smoking. (I feel slightly bad in using his name in a PVA thread).

Yeas but was a genius on the field. George Best would spend the night drinking and shagging then be the best player on the field. PVA is a very limited player and needs to give himself every advantage

CPFC.1990
07-11-2017, 04:56 PM
PVA is absolute crap. Sunderland laughed all the way to the bank..

brighton_eagle
08-11-2017, 10:00 AM
Do you remember what it was like to be in your 20's? Now add fame and money...the fact most players stay out of trouble is actually quite remarkable and I think they deserve a little leeway on things like this.

I don't. They maybe need better guidance and support from the clubs.

Yoda
08-11-2017, 10:25 AM

After a heart by-pass and continuing heart problems, Cruyff gave up smoking and did an advert in Catalan for their Dept of health.

He did keep-uppies with a packet of fags and said ‘football gave me everything in life, smoking almost took it away’.

He was diagnosed with lung cancer and died aged 68.

A terrible waste as he still had plenty to give football as a coach etc.

cpfcben
08-11-2017, 11:09 AM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3802896/Patrick-van-Aanholt-seen-smoking-shisha-pipe-just-month-pulled-Sunderland-Tottenham-clash.html

cpfcben
08-11-2017, 11:10 AM
Played a key role in helping us stay up. If he played well no one would care. Has been poor this season.

GreatGonzo
08-11-2017, 11:13 AM
Played a key role in helping us stay up. If he played well no one would care. Has been poor this season.

His goal against Boro was critical.

TheCharmer1
08-11-2017, 11:19 AM
should swap him and a schlupp around. PVA is better going forward and cant defend. Schlupp offers nothing going forward

glaziers fan
08-11-2017, 12:33 PM
His goal against Boro was critical.

Absolutely. In the context of where we were, it was probably worth £20m minimum.

Brett
08-11-2017, 01:06 PM
This is what happens when you wank every summer away and then have to spunk top dollar on average players you’ve done no due diligence on in January.

whereEaglesFly
08-11-2017, 01:07 PM

Isn't this the point though? The fact he isn't playing well and is doing something which a Professional shouldn't really be doing makes it something people do care about.