PDA

View Full Version : Player Ratings And Reviews: Spurs (away)

glaziers fan
05-11-2017, 01:59 PM
Speroni 6 little to do but tidy

Ward 6 defended well, but right footed
Sakho 7 MOM defended very well
Dann 7 solid and a set piece threat once more
TFM 6 learning but talented

Schlupp 4 not enough contribution for me. Not a midfielder.
Luka 6 fine
Cabaye 7 won ball
RLC 5 fairly anonymous

Zaha 5 awful miss. Shame because ok other than that
Townsend 7 bright and a ball of energy

Sub:

Sako n/a

Referee:

Kevin Friend 4 gave us very little and blew for stoppages when their guy went down, but nothing when our guy was on the floor.

spt1978
05-11-2017, 02:03 PM
played well. deserved more.

Hopefully these hard luck stories do not bite us at the end of the season.

pap
05-11-2017, 02:04 PM
Cabaye ran the midfield again

Terrace Bickle
Should have got something with Spurs injury problems. Story of the season.

BarcaPalace
Another good performance with no points to take away from it.

Cabaye MOM

charltonhater
05-11-2017, 02:06 PM
Only watched on Telly but Sakho looked m.o.m. to me. I counted four blocks in the first fifteen minutes alone and that was after being clattered by Gazzaniga (sp?)

sydnsteve
On radio Wilf brilliant but should have scored 2! Defence does at least seem organised and this time we did not collapse. Have to win next 2 home games.

Nostrils
Sakho, Dann, Townsend and Cabaye were very good. RLC useless/wasted in right midfield.

chrisophiex
05-11-2017, 02:07 PM
Wilf seemed to fade fast, really should have put his chance away.

Thought we should have brought on Sak-O-ffside 15 minutes earlier to try and shake things up a bit.

andyocpfc
05-11-2017, 02:08 PM
We could probably copy and paste the last game, the game before that and so on.

Played well, their keeper amazing, chances to win let alone only draw. They score undeservedly, they win.

Its infuriating yet predictable. The Gods of football re angry with us for some reason.

Seaside Eagle
05-11-2017, 02:12 PM
Cabaye, Dann and Sakho were excellent. Dealt really well with the Spurs pressure. Only a horrific and uncharacteristic miss from Wilf stopped us winning that game.

Unfortunately it seems like dominating games while getting f*ck all has become the story of our season.

mrgins
05-11-2017, 02:15 PM
played very well. their keeper was excellent although we couldn't put it away even when he was beaten. Wonder if sakho will be vilified for pulling out of his header the way pva was for pulling out of his chance three games ago

exiledeagle
05-11-2017, 02:16 PM
Speroni 6 Not much to do
Fosu Mensah 6 Plenty of effort but lacks quality in passing
Ward 7 Not flashy but looked solid and did his job
Sakho 7 Played well but always couple of heart in mouth decisions
Dann 8 Best performance all season
Cabaye 6 Decent but poor clearance cost us
Luka 6 Decent again
RLC 4 Looked lack lustre , gave Rose too much room - needs to up his game
Schlupp 4 Not sure what he gives us - seems to dither on ball
Townsend 7 Worked his socks off
Zaha 7 Always a threat but should have scored

Defining moments , Zaha miss , Cabaye poor clearance

and of course

No forward generally means no goals - this decision will take us down .

meee
05-11-2017, 02:21 PM
Everyone gave 100% except RLC.Cabaye was excellent but made the mistake for the goal.

squelchy18
05-11-2017, 02:21 PM
Inexcusable for any professional footballer to miss Zaha's chance.

Still, that should have been a striker in that position to finish, but hey-ho.

wavey
05-11-2017, 02:25 PM

Played well, their keeper amazing, chances to win let alone only draw. They score undeservedly, they win.

Its infuriating yet predictable. The Gods of football re angry with us for some reason.

Exactly how I feel. But the margins between winning and losing have narrowed significantly since the opening game.

What's encouraging is that Roy sets us up well and give or take picks the right team. Defense is now largely working well. Today Speroni barely had a save to make against a top 4 team. Upfront we're creating chances irrespective of the opposition. Why we're not taking the points is simple, we're not taking those chances and scoring goals frequently enough. It's not a surprise - we don't have a striker.

I hope we go to 433 when Benteke is back with Wilf and Andros either side and RLC playing centrally with Luka and Yohan behind him. Benteke wasn't playing well under FDB but I still believe that he's a dangerous striker that needs a run in an organised team. Have him back and we might start turning some of these chances into goals more regularly.

The christmas spend should then be to provide some depth and shape a bench that can provide an effective B plan. Get all that working and I have no doubt we'll start climbing the table. I think Roy is a cunning manager that'll guide us to safety. We saw a glimmer of hope today against Spurs.

desperado
Spurs third choice goalkeeper gets MoM with three good saves to deny us goals and Zaha misses an open goal. Spurs score from their only decent shot on target

The team played well defensively to keep a subdued and injury hit Spurs away from our goal for most of the game but we are paying the price for not having a Premier League goalkeeper at one end of the pitch and a Premier League goal scorer at the other

Dann and Sakho were outstanding at the centre of defence, Cabaye and Luka comfortable in midfield and Wilf and Townsend always a threat on the break

Parish’s muddled thinking in the summer continues to bite us on the arse

Speroni 5, Fosu-Mensah 6, Dann 7, Sakho 8, Ward 6, Luka 7, Cabaye 7, Schlupp 6, Loftus-Cheek 5, Townsend 7, Zaha 7
Sub: Sako 4

Loafster
if you look at the ZAHA miss pitch seems to bobble and heavy water away from goal
should of scored though

alanlee11
05-11-2017, 02:27 PM

not to do with divine intervention, maybe to do with the club failing to sign a striker.

glenn.f
05-11-2017, 02:28 PM
Loftus Cheek flatters to decieve but he is no way a right sided midfielder. I suspect we'll not see the best of him unless he plays in a 3 man midfield with Luka and Cabaye. Bit of a conundrum there for me because he's almost the wrong type of loan for us, unless he could be utilised in the gap up front as a surprise tactic. Laziness looks to be an issue with him as well.
Cabaye (clearance apart) Man of the match for me with Dann and Sakho not a million miles behind him. All three were excellent and deserved to be on the winning side.

CPFC.1990
05-11-2017, 02:30 PM
Should have won.

Perhaps one of the worst tactical decisions in recent memory. Taking off Ward, leaving us completely exposed down our right and giving the game and control to Spurs. Just do not know what Roy was thinking. That sub cost us any chance of at least a draw. Sako doesn't understand offside.

Sakho should have been braver to score in the first few minutes.

Cabaye played well, but cannot be motm when his poor clearance gave away the goal.

Never a better time to play Spurs and we should have capitalised.

Roy has got to improve on his tactical awareness as that today was a very, very poor decision that cost us.

squelchy18
For someone who's 6ft whatever, Loftus Cheek loses out on headers quite often.

Bin.

exiledeagle
As well as we played against a weakened Spurs side , it is only 1 point from last 3 games .
Unless we somehow start scoring , things will not improve .

Vendy
05-11-2017, 02:32 PM
Cabaye playing consistently and for 90 mins and commitment to the cause all of this since RH. Amazing really. I know he made a mistake today but it was that mistimed kick

penguin7
05-11-2017, 02:33 PM
Speroni 7.. .......Little to do, no chance with the goal.
Fosu-Mensah 8..Tough day having to cover acres of space against Rose and Son.
Ward 8.............Had to cover our problem position again and did well.
Dann 9.............True leader at the back and dangerous again at set pieces
Sakho 7............Some good challenges, but at times looked to lack bravery and fitness
Luka 7.............Just lacking in sharpness
Cabaye 8...........Busy, but set pieces inconsistent.
Schlupp 6..........A few incisive passes, but unreliable defensively.
RLC 7................Did more in defense than some credit him with, but needs a central attacking midfield position to shine.
Townsend 7........Some good touches but need more from him in that free role.
Zaha 8...............Still our only real threat, but so much weight on his shoulders.

Sako 2................Troubled the linesman more than the defense

Hodgson 8...........Tactics sound, but we need some luck.
Friend 2...............Gave us nothing

jobiinthelastmi
05-11-2017, 02:34 PM
Played well, freezing cold....

If we had a striker we could have won this one.

Story of the season I’m afraid!

Joe.L
05-11-2017, 02:44 PM
Can't carry on like this. The chances we are not taking and the points we are giving up are mounting. No way should we have lost to Burnley and probably should have won. Should never have lost to Southampton or Newcastle. And in the last two games really should have beaten West Ham and could have beaten Spurs. The same thing keeps happening and can't all be down to bad luck.

ee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o
05-11-2017, 02:45 PM
Should have won.

Perhaps one of the worst tactical decisions in recent memory. Taking off Ward, leaving us completely exposed down our right and giving the game and control to Spurs. Just do not know what Roy was thinking. That sub cost us any chance of at least a draw. Sako doesn't understand offside.

Cabaye played well, but cannot be motm when his poor clearance gave away the goal.

Roy has got to improve on his tactical awareness as that today was a very, very poor decision that cost us.

So with a Thread title MOM..who was yours ?

ee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o
05-11-2017, 02:46 PM

Oppps sorry doesn't mention MOM ..I rescind my post

bigend1
05-11-2017, 02:48 PM
Ward motm.

Dann was excellent and nearly scored. Sakho very good. Ward was superb and gets motm for that 10 mins early in the second half when spurs had us under siege. He made maybe 5 blocks, tackles and interceptions that would have been likely goals.

CPFC.1990
05-11-2017, 02:49 PM

Townsend

AJ
05-11-2017, 02:50 PM
We got nothing out of a game that we expected nothing, but in the end we should have got at least a point.

Speroni 6
Ward 7
TfM 6
Dann 7
Mama 7
Cabaye 7
Luka 6
RLC 5
Shlupp 5
Andros 8
Wilf 7

Glazier69
05-11-2017, 02:51 PM
Cabaye mom. Sakho and Dann very good. Ward Shlupp Luka TFM decent. Wilf was Wilf. Palace were Palace..... again!

sydnsteve
05-11-2017, 02:52 PM
Should have won.

I thought Ward was playing left back?

andyocpfc
05-11-2017, 02:52 PM
not to do with divine intervention, maybe to do with the club failing to sign a striker.

Of course and itís been written a million times, but that doesnít change what I wrote.

CPFC.1990
05-11-2017, 02:54 PM
I thought Ward was playing left back?

TFM moved more central after the sub.

aj4england
05-11-2017, 03:01 PM
Exactly how I feel. But the margins between winning and losing have narrowed significantly since the opening game.

What's encouraging is that Roy sets us up well and give or take picks the right team. Defense is now largely working well. Today Speroni barely had a save to make against a top 4 team. Upfront we're creating chances irrespective of the opposition. Why we're not taking the points is simple, we're not taking those chances and scoring goals frequently enough. It's not a surprise - we don't have a striker.

I hope we go to 433 when Benteke is back with Wilf and Andros either side and RLC playing centrally with Luka and Yohan behind him. Benteke wasn't playing well under FDB but I still believe that he's a dangerous striker that needs a run in an organised team. Have him back and we might start turning some of these chances into goals more regularly.

The christmas spend should then be to provide some depth and shape a bench that can provide an effective B plan. Get all that working and I have no doubt we'll start climbing the table. I think Roy is a cunning manager that'll guide us to safety. We saw a glimmer of hope today against Spurs.

disagree re roy . hes a manager that gets 75 per cent right but gets the crucial 25 per cent wrong - hes not decisive when it matters. his game mgt of the last 15 was poor again only 1 sub . We wont win enough under him

Barnstormer
05-11-2017, 03:03 PM
Townsend has to go wide and Loftus-Cheek central just doesn't work for me this way.

Mr Palace
05-11-2017, 03:04 PM
Full of heart and effort but we again fail to do the most important thing. We don't have the quality in the final third to hurt teams. Two new strikers in this team and we'd be a real threat. Such a shame as there was a lot of good aspects to our play today. But it's looking increasingly grim now.

Speroni - 7 - very solid. Played well albeit with not much to do
TFM - 6 - solid. Not the best distribution though.
Ward - 5 - good defending but gave the ball away far too much.
Dann - 8 - best performance for a long time.
Sakho - 9 - absolute quality. Brilliant at times.

Luka - 6 - competed well but sloppy at times in possession
Cabaye - 6 - would have been a 7 as he played well but for the awful mistake and poor setpieces. Cost us the game sadly
Schlupp - 4 - he should either play LB or not at all. He's a passenger in midfield. Doesn't work hard enough and zero quality on the ball.
RLC - 4 - does he even care? Doesn't seem to. Not a right sided midfielder in his defence but I lost count of the times he bottles challenges

Townsend - 7 - some great runs and efforts. He just can't score.
Zaha - 7 - if he rolls in that goal we're talking about a brilliant performance. Shame as he worked so hard and ran them ragged at times

Subs
Sako - 3 - painful to watch after the nice cameo last week

Hodgson - 6 - he really needs to open up a bit and start going for it. That's two away games in a row that his conservative style hasn't helped. To be fair we look much more solid so credit to him and his team for that but he needs to be more attacking.

The_Professor
05-11-2017, 03:05 PM
Speroni: 6 Little to do, he wasn't getting to the goal. No wobbles but I'd love him to get a clean sheet.
Fosu-Mensah: 6 Thought he worked hard.
Ward: 7 Bonus point as he has had a hard time occasionally and I thought apart from some wayward touches looked solid. We were more open after he went off.
Dann: 7 Some good defending and offered a threat from corners,
Sakho: 6 Should have scored in the 3rd minute! Other than that competent.
Luka: 5 Thought he wasn't quite on the pace today
Cabaye: 7 Working so hard in every match recently. Wish he could just provide more goal threat.
RLC: 5 One good run near the end where he released Townsend (I think) but needs to offer more (being moved inside might help)
Townsend: 7 Grew into it after an anonymous start. Unlucky with his shot and cross.
Zaha: 6 Our outlet in the first half when he chased a lot of hoofed balls. Made the big chance himself but then and on another occasion composure let him down. He will save us more points than his misses cost us though!
Schlupp: 5 Not sure of his best position or what he really adds to the side other than being an unspectacular squad player.

Sako: 3 Caught offside too often, though probably needed longer

Overall I thought we matched them and looked defensively pretty solid. Got to take those chances though...

wavey
05-11-2017, 03:06 PM
disagree re roy . hes a manager that gets 75 per cent right but gets the crucial 25 per cent wrong - hes not decisive when it matters. his game mgt of the last 15 was poor again only 1 sub . We wont win enough under him

If you're talking about bringing on Sako, at the moment it's about the only option he has to try something different, and it's not really a B plan it's more of a C plan.

charltonhater
05-11-2017, 03:12 PM
Inexcusable for any professional footballer to miss Zaha's chance.

Still, that should have been a striker in that position to finish, but hey-ho.

This is the sort of idiotic comment you expect from a "big-six supporter".
Only a handful of players would have been able to sprint as quickly to pick up the ball in the first place (none of which would be recognised strikers) and of those only half would have been able to round the keeper.
Yes, Wilf should have scored once in the position. He should have taken another touch. But it was only an open goal because Wilf made the chance an open goal on the first place. Anyone else there wouldn't have been a chance in the first place.

sl6 Eagle
05-11-2017, 03:12 PM
Everyone gave 100% with RLC the clear exception, he didn’t put in a shift and doesn’t appear to care. Schlupp tried but he simply isn’t good enough.
MoM for Palace Scott Dann closely followed by Sakho.
Wilf had flashes of brilliance but that miss was so costly.

Jim Cannon
05-11-2017, 03:14 PM

Thought we should have brought on Sak-O-ffside 15 minutes earlier to try and shake things up a bit.

I can't stand Sako and look forward to when he is no longer stealing a living from us

Martin H
05-11-2017, 03:15 PM
if you look at the ZAHA miss pitch seems to bobble and heavy water away from goal
should of scored though

TBH I think it had a lot more to do with the fact that he didnít look, he just hit it.

jimmy the gent
05-11-2017, 03:17 PM
Speroni - 6 not tested aside from goal which was never going to get close to. looked assured othewise and clearly the best of two poor options.

Ward - 6 limited, but competent enough defensively this week.
Dann - 7 fine performance defensively and threatened at set pieces for first time in what seems like ages
Mamadou - 7.5 Class act.
TFM - 6, comfortable and given he had RLC in front of him did well.

Schlupp - 6 Just an athlete. No footballing nouse or brain, and not much in the way of technique. He does at least track back and work defensively, but a poor footballer IMHO.
Luka - 6.5 - poor first half, much better in the second. Few very good passes.
Cabaye - 8 - Rolls royce. Ran the midfield and so much better athletically than he was under Pardew. His fitness improvemnts in the last 6 months have really underlined how appalling our coaching was under Pardew.
RLC - 5 - Lazy, couldn't give a f*ck. Really pissed me off today. Just been called up for England, maybe he thinks he's made it and is doing us all a favour with his presence at the club. Needs to buck his ideas up and fast. Jimmy Mac performs far better out wide and plays for the team.

Zaha - 7 - Poor miss, but he's a winger playing up front. Still our biggest threat by a distance and some great tracking back and work off the ball too.
Townsend 7 - Works his bollocks off, great fitness and attitude. One great effort low on goal. An excellent player.

Sako - 5 - Just shit. No brain, terrible shape for a winger. All that bulk he carries around knackers him out in 5 mins. Built like a bodybuilder with all that show muscle, but no conditioning. Awful footballer.

CPFC.1990
05-11-2017, 03:17 PM
Come on, Zaha is great but if any other player missed that most of you would be up in arms.

Golf Boy
05-11-2017, 03:18 PM
I am really pissed off. Well done lads. We deserve more atm but we canīt afford bad luck

All Wilf had to do was look up and it was an empty net.

Penalty to us as well

Speroni had nothing to do until he picked the ball out of the net.

st albans
05-11-2017, 03:21 PM
Only a handful of players would have been able to sprint as quickly to pick up the ball in the first place (none of which would be recognised strikers) and of those only half would have been able to round the keeper.
Yes, Wilf should have scored once in the position. He should have taken another touch. But it was only an open goal because Wilf made the chance an open goal on the first place. Anyone else there wouldn't have been a chance in the first place.

Yep. It's not fifa ffs. Plus he was fouled. Watch it back, it's a blatant pen

st albans
05-11-2017, 03:21 PM
TBH I think it had a lot more to do with the fact that he didn’t look, he just hit it.
Or that he was pushed off the ball

Reg_Maudling
05-11-2017, 03:22 PM
Sakho was very good
I thought ward was going to be the weak link but he did ok at left back
It turned out rlc was the weak link didn't track back and didn't offer anything much in possession or going forward
MacArthur would have been better
Cabaye did ok for the most part although he did the weak clearance
Luka was sloppy in possession a few times
Townsend had some good moments

Biggest disappointment was zaha not just his miss he gave the ball away a lot and often didn't make the right runs
Dann ok although some sloppy passing early on
Tfm seemed to fade away after the goal and it nearly cost more goals against perhaps he had been told to get forward more
Sako absolutely useless and needs to learn the offside rule fancy being Roy having to bring him on to save the game
Speroni can't be blamed for the goal which was a high quality finish and his kicking was Decent
Schlupp in my opinion not as awful as some say but just average

Disappointing as we are only a couple of players away from being a mid table quality side but that makes all the difference

It's spurs away and the result is not a disaster

Disasters were losing at home to swansea and Huddersfield

For the next match I would drop rlc and make him fight for his starting place

old git
05-11-2017, 03:23 PM
Very unlucky but after a while that excuse can wear a bit thin.

Martin H
05-11-2017, 03:26 PM

I really want to agree but Ďmethinksí you exaggerate too much to make the point. I donít agree with the earlier poster either :) All Wilf had to do was run because their keeper stitched himself by hesitating. The keeper then in effect beat himself by committing while still short of the ball and Wilf just had to push it past him. Pretty basic stuff on both. All he needed to do then was remain composed, look up and pass it into the open goal. Unfortunately he didnít which is the risk with both Andros and Wilf up front. Neither are natural or experienced finishers and they tend to panic and just hit it.

sunshine lucas
05-11-2017, 03:28 PM
Oh Wilf :( two poor executions today, the miss after taking the ball past the GK...AND blowing the chance to put RLC in...

Gotta keep the faith but to play as well as we have been doing and getting nowt is a killer. Need Benteke back and a shedload of luck. Am hoping all the missed chances will be cancelled out when we beat the Weed 8-0 at the a*ex.

Dobbo
05-11-2017, 03:33 PM
Third away game we could/should have won but have lost 0-1.
So bloody frustrating.

Jules 6. Only one pat down save from a Kane shot to make in 95 mins.
Fosu 6. Fairly solid, although there was a lot a space down his side.
Dann 7. Great blocks and tackles.
Sakho 7. See Dann.
Ward 6. Average but mad he has to play there after the £25m we spent in January.
Loftus 4. Anonymous. No defensive cover for Fosu and got no where near Rose. Amazed he's in the England squad.
Cabaye 7. Worked hard for 90 mins
Luka 7. See Cabaye.
Schlupp 5. Adds nothing to the side and so slow when he has the ball.
Townsend 6. Looked good at times but little end product.
Zaha 7. Caused them most trouble, but oh that open goal miss.

Sako 6. Would have liked to see him given longer.

Woy. Just about got the tactics right. His lack of action when we went behind demonstrates how little we have on the bench.

west eagle
05-11-2017, 03:33 PM
Same old story, played well in parts, come away with nothing.

Players are giving everything but it's just not enough to win games.

sydnsteve
05-11-2017, 03:36 PM
Don't give a **** about the Weed, in fact good luck to them for having probably the only BME manager in the PL. obviously want to win every game but Brighton mean nothing more than that.

Golf Boy
05-11-2017, 03:37 PM
Schlupp gets a raw deal on here.

Thefunkymonk
05-11-2017, 03:38 PM
RLC isn’t a right mid.. zaha didn’t play well... Townsend was quiet.. defence solid overall.

Thefunkymonk
05-11-2017, 03:38 PM

Yeah he didnít do much wrong at all

SussexRed&Blue
05-11-2017, 03:39 PM
Loftus Cheek flatters to decieve but he is no way a right sided midfielder. I suspect we'll not see the best of him unless he plays in a 3 man midfield with Luka and Cabaye. Bit of a conundrum there for me because he's almost the wrong type of loan for us, unless he could be utilised in the gap up front as a surprise tactic. Laziness looks to be an issue with him as well.
Cabaye (clearance apart) Man of the match for me with Dann and Sakho not a million miles behind him. All three were excellent and deserved to be on the winning side.

I think Loftus Cheek is better in a more central area with his creativity.

He is certainly not a workhorse but he definately has quality.

The only problem with this is Roy likes 4-4-2 and the middle of midfield is fine with Cabaye and Luka.

With Andros and Wilf still playing well where do you play him?

I would say that Loftus Cheek best role would be playing off the main striker.

bradpitt
05-11-2017, 03:40 PM

He does, but was very poor today

Thefunkymonk
05-11-2017, 03:41 PM
He does, but was very poor today

In what way? Bar him messing round with it and giving away that free kick he done nothing wrong

cdm61
05-11-2017, 03:44 PM
The failure to have an adequate strike force haunts us. It means players are not in their right positions. RCL being an example he should be the central forward midfielder. Wilf and Townsend wide.

Ward at left back again a player out of position even though he wouldn't make my first 11.

We have improved but points come as a result of goals.

Quite frankly we should be 8th and Brighton bottom. It's the measure of poor management of resources over our time in the Premier League.

bigGcpfc
05-11-2017, 03:45 PM
Schlupp is a terrible player. When a team like ours is struggling to pick up points , we need every player to show some either ability or at least 100% effort he offers neither.

Ruskin Old Boy
05-11-2017, 03:58 PM
Deserved a point.

Townsend, Cabaye and Sakho all did well; the former so unlucky just after half time. Thought Tomkins was unlucky not to start but Dann did ok.

Disappointed with Zaha who flattered to deceive. Missed two very good chances especially when the keeper came out, hesitated and the goal was empty. Agree that RLC on the right of midfield doesn't work.

Ground full of football tourists - apart from the away support of course. Not signing a striker this summer is coming back to haunt us in a big way.

Reg_Maudling
05-11-2017, 04:08 PM
TBH I think it had a lot more to do with the fact that he didnít look, he just hit it.

yes it was composure, lack of

he has been improving his composure in front of goal but still needs to improve this

costello
05-11-2017, 04:09 PM
Speroni 5, Ward 5, FM 5, Dann 8, Sakho. 9, Luka 6, Cabaye 7, LC 5, Schlupp 5, Townsend 7, Zaha 6

Excellent defensively. Townsend and Zaha a real threat but we were wasteful at times.

Penstone Eagle
05-11-2017, 04:11 PM
I think Loftus Cheek is better in a more central area with his creativity.

He is certainly not a workhorse but he definately has quality.

The only problem with this is Roy likes 4-4-2 and the middle of midfield is fine with Cabaye and Luka.

With Andros and Wilf still playing well where do you play him?

I would say that Loftus Cheek best role would be playing off the main striker.

Luka was poor.

Penstone Eagle
05-11-2017, 04:13 PM
Speroni 5, Ward 5, FM 5, Dann 8, Sakho. 9, Luka 6, Cabaye 7, LC 5, Schlupp 5, Townsend 7, Zaha 6

Excellent defensively. Townsend and Zaha a real threat but we were wasteful at times.

Accurate ratings in my opinion. Low marks for midfielder's sums it up for me, not good enough

Penstone Eagle
05-11-2017, 04:14 PM
Schlupp is a terrible player. When a team like ours is struggling to pick up points , we need every player to show some either ability or at least 100% effort he offers neither.

Schlupp is sloppy with the ball.

cpfcben
05-11-2017, 04:19 PM
Cabaye different class.

SussexRed&Blue
05-11-2017, 04:21 PM
Luka was poor.

Who would you play instead?

TheCharmer1
05-11-2017, 04:23 PM
We give the ball away so cheaply in crucial areas and it invites pressure. Son was waving for the ball on the edge of the box for the goal. Luka was asleep. How many goals has he cost us this season?
RLC canít play wide, defensively heís not good enough nor is his concentration and schlupp plays left back or not at all.

So frustrating, we will never get a better chance to beat this spurs side but we canít be so wasteful in front of goal. We re being exposed for our threadbare squad and bad recruitment.

Sackho or Yo mom for me

jhc
05-11-2017, 04:23 PM
Deserved a point.

We can't keep saying that. We have to start turning chances into goals, and goals into points!

No more excuses and feeling that we deserved better. From here on in it's got to be about a winning mentality. Everton & Stoke must be 6 points - no less!

Martin H
05-11-2017, 04:25 PM
Another frustrating result and encouraging performance. The concern being that many more of these Ďalmost matchesí and we could easily wave goodbye to the Premier League. A clean sheet for the first hour was a huge plus and we had looked fairly solid despite heavy pressure. The midfield and defensive unit worked well albeit Ruben regularly failed to cover his man. Timboís Pace and tackling compensated in part. Cabaye had another excellent game until a miss kicked clearance was ruthlessly punished by Son. The words Ďruthlessly punishí are not relevant to us and are the reason we risk relegation. We had many chances, most saved excellently by their 3rd choice keeper who had a blinder and the others inexplicably missed.

Speroni - 6 - had very little to do TBH. Didnít get close to Sonís powerful curling shot into the corner but certainly not a mistake on his part. More an opportunity for what might have been an outstanding save.

Fosu-Mensah - 6 - good solid performance at RB and a couple of times using his pace to cover.

Dann - 7 - regularly win the ball in the air in their box for the first time in ages. Good game. Lost for pace when pulled wide once but overall a good game.

Sakho - 7 - might be harsh but I thought he should have scored when he got clobbered early on. Deserved a pen TBH because there was no reason for being clumped like that. Very good game. Scary at times but gets away with it, so ....

Ward - 6 - better performance from Joel and happier with him there.

Loftus-Cheek - 5 - seems a mistake to me, playing him in effect in the wide defensive slot that Andros does so well while having Andros struggle up front. Has real ability, surging through the middle but less so out wide. Poor concentration.

Luka - 7 - lot of good things today but inexplicably wastes possession too often without pressure. Works very hard though.

Cabaye - 7.5 - MOM - class above, great vision and very hard working. Looks fitter/sharper/quicker than ever. The only weakness was the doh moment when mis-hitting his clearance he gave Son the chance to shoot. Still driving us on right until the end.

Schlupp - 6 - curates egg. Some great moments mixed with naive or dumb play. I think the problem is in his head, not physically. Not sure he will correct it. Good enough today.

Townsend - 6 - disappointing first half when hardly anything worked for him but a pretty good second half. Mystifying TBH. would definitely have swapped him with Ruben role-wise and would have expected a much better game.

Zaha - 6 - probably our biggest threat but not his best game. Struggled more often than usual with beating his marker and really hasnít nailed making the runs that would give him the yard of space he needs. The woeful miss felt bad and proved to be worse when they scored. He has to become more composed if he is to score more goals. Didnít look at the target despite having time and needing to.

Sako - on too late to make a real impact

aj4england
05-11-2017, 04:26 PM
Third away game we could/should have won but have lost 0-1.
So bloody frustrating.

Jules 6. Only one pat down save from a Kane shot to make in 95 mins.
Fosu 6. Fairly solid, although there was a lot a space down his side.
Dann 7. Great blocks and tackles.
Sakho 7. See Dann.
Ward 6. Average but mad he has to play there after the £25m we spent in January.
Loftus 4. Anonymous. No defensive cover for Fosu and got no where near Rose. Amazed he's in the England squad.
Cabaye 7. Worked hard for 90 mins
Luka 7. See Cabaye.
Schlupp 5. Adds nothing to the side and so slow when he has the ball.
Townsend 6. Looked good at times but little end product.
Zaha 7. Caused them most trouble, but oh that open goal miss.

Sako 6. Would have liked to see him given longer.

Woy. Just about got the tactics right. His lack of action when we went behind demonstrates how little we have on the bench.

Disagree with last comment - demontstrates the lack of courage Roy has , macca , Tompkins decent options

Penstone Eagle
05-11-2017, 04:26 PM
Who would you play instead?

That's the problem.

Martin H
05-11-2017, 04:27 PM
Noticed Hargreaves was worrying post match about the same thing as me. How does Roy integrate Benteke back into this team. No question that we need to, but what does that do to the game plan that has improved things. We will find out soon.

Penstone Eagle
05-11-2017, 04:28 PM
Cabaye different class.

Apart from shit freekicks and passing to Son.

Stavros 69
05-11-2017, 04:30 PM
Speroni - 7 can't blame him for the goal, did everything he needed to.

Ward - 7.5 thought he had a really solid game, felt sorry for being subbed
Dann - 7 Strong enough defensively but his passing is piss poor. How hard is it for him to pass it in front of his man
Mamadou - 7.5 still a class act
TFM -6.5 solid enough considering he had no help

Schlupp - 6 pretty average, would love to see him actually beat a man and deliver a good cross
Luka - 7 solid solid solid, one of the only leaders we have.
Cabaye - 7.5 does everything but put the ball in the back of the net, needs some more options ahead of him.
RLC - 4 Lazy, bottled challenges, isn't track back enough, just not enough effort at all. Jimmy Mac might not be techially as good but at least he busts a gut.

Zaha - 6 not his day, but missed an open net, we can't afford that.
Townsend 7 - Slow to get into the game but was a bright light.

Sako - 4 did he do anything today? Has he ever touched the ball and been onside?

We're getting there, but dreadfully short on quality.
Defensively we look good and Jules has taken a lot of the pressure off.
Luka and Cabeye are becoming a solid pairing in the middle of the park.
No point playing RLC wide because he's just not a winger, he needs an attitude check as well. He might not be with us next year, but he should care about the club enough to put some effort in.
We are crying out for a striker, because Wilf and Andros are more effective it wide. We're getting there and this run of games will make or break us.

Penstone Eagle
Disagree with last comment - demontstrates the lack of courage Roy has , macca , Tompkins decent options

Neither are game changers, Macca being as slow as Luca and Tomkins a defender, what had Roy got available to him?

orp pisshead1

On way home, Sako was shite as was RLC / Schlupp got better but started poorly. I’d say GF ratings were spot on. No way did we deserve to lose that and still relatively optimistic that Roy will just about keep us up.
Oh and BT are ***** making it 12 KO. Shit atmosphere.

bern5161
05-11-2017, 04:45 PM
Everyone gave 100% with RLC the clear exception, he didnít put in a shift and doesnít appear to care.

The New England recruit will be on our bench when Benteke comes back

penguin7
05-11-2017, 04:54 PM
I cannot believe that over half give MOM to Sakho. Our whole defense played well but to me he was marginally the worst of the back four.

He lacked commitment with the early chance ducking out of the header, and did a similar thing later on. Defensively he also seemed hesitant heading the ball. He will have better games than this one.

Ward was superb even on the wrong flank, with some outstanding blocks and tackles.

Dann arguably made the most clearances, and was constantly organising the defense. Plus he was the greatest threat at our set pieces.

TFM had little help against Rose, but was really cool under pressure

Mr Palace
05-11-2017, 04:55 PM
In what way? Bar him messing round with it and giving away that free kick he done nothing wrong

I think he has to play left back or not at all. He's no good in midfield and lacks any desire to get forward. He needs to sharpen up but I think he's our best bet at left back.

Mr Palace
05-11-2017, 04:56 PM
I cannot believe that over half give MOM to Sakho. Our whole defense played well but to me he was marginally the worst of the back four.

He lacked commitment with the early chance ducking out of the header, and did a similar thing later on. Defensively he also seemed hesitant heading the ball. He will have better games than this one.

Ward was superb even on the wrong flank, with some outstanding blocks and tackles.

Dann arguably made the most clearances, and was constantly organising the defense. Plus he was the greatest threat at our set pieces.

Absolute madness. Sakho was brilliant.

Mr Palace
05-11-2017, 05:00 PM
Noticed Hargreaves was worrying post match about the same thing as me. How does Roy integrate Benteke back into this team. No question that we need to, but what does that do to the game plan that has improved things. We will find out soon.

He starts no doubt. The game plan has resulted in four measly points. We need to change the way we are set up as this limited 4-4-2 isn't working from an attacking perspective. Best to go back to Zaha and Townsend either side of benteke with RLC in behind and Cabaye and Luka in central midfield. We are crying out for this formation and line up. At the moment too many players are out of position and 99% of the squad don't score.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
05-11-2017, 05:01 PM

Should have buried his headed chance which led to him being whacked round the head. I still don't understand how/ why he completely missed the ball.

He had a decent game other than that though.

CPFC.1990
05-11-2017, 05:02 PM
I never thought I would see Sakho chicken out of a header but he did......He played well for the rest of the game though.

Jim Cannon
05-11-2017, 05:03 PM
Why the hell should we be worried about bringing Benteke back into the side? We have no fecking striker.

Tele Caster
05-11-2017, 05:04 PM
As good as Cabaye was his clearance is the reason (a) we lost and as well as Wilf played his miss is the reason we didn't (b) win or draw. Small margins as every professional sports coach will tell you.

glaziers fan
05-11-2017, 05:10 PM
Come on, Zaha is great but if any other player missed that most of you would be up in arms.

And I was (and am) up in arms. Zaha cost us the 3 points today. BUT I won't be saying that again for the rest of the season, guaranteed, and that's the difference. Really sad to see Wilf's head go down for 20 mins after that glaring miss as well. Someone should have spoken to him.

glaziers fan
05-11-2017, 05:13 PM
TBH I think it had a lot more to do with the fact that he didn’t look, he just hit it.

In a way, it could be a positve. The whole world sees it, thinks he's shit, and underestimates him for the rest of the season. Will do me!

Martin H
05-11-2017, 05:14 PM
In a way, it could be a positve. The whole world sees it, thinks he's shit, and underestimates him for the rest of the season. Will do me!

Genius!

st albans
05-11-2017, 05:15 PM
Mutch would have offered more than RLC today ( and most of last week). Utterly abysmal again. I don’t care if you’re paying out of position, you still put a shift in. See ward for example. Strolled around again like it was a pre season. He either plays in the middle or doesn’t play, simple as that. Was like playing with ten men for most of it. How the hell he got an England call up is beyond me

Sam Spade
05-11-2017, 05:16 PM

Dann 6 solid

Schlupp 5 not enough contribution for me
Luka 6 fine
Cabaye 7 won ball
RLC 5 fairly anonymous

Sub:

Sako n/a

Referee:

Kevin Friend 4 gave us very little and blew for stoppages when their guy went down, but nothing when our guy was on the floor.

Agree with almost all of that. Thought Wilf's miss was unfortunate but his decision making today was poor. Cabaye went missing for most of the game.
Thought Dann and Sakho looked a good pair
Friend was pathetic. Son conned him to stop a great chance for us.

Jim Cannon
05-11-2017, 05:18 PM
Mutch would have offered more than RLC today ( and most of last week). Utterly abysmal again. I donít care if youíre paying out of position, you still put a shift in. See ward for example. Strolled around again like it was a pre season. He either plays in the middle or doesnít play, simple as that. Was like playing with ten men for most of it. How the hell he got an England call up is beyond me

Mutch has never offered anything before other than when he scores goals in pre season friendlies against park teams so why would he now

sheepy
05-11-2017, 05:19 PM

It's gonna be an interesting race between him and PVA over who can wrestle the title "worse ever palace signing" away from Jordan Mutch.

Personally I'm backing Schlupp. Woeful footballer with the touch of a Hollywood movie producer.

st albans
05-11-2017, 05:21 PM
Mutch has never offered anything before other than when he scores goals in pre season friendlies against park teams so why would he now

Thatís my point about how bad RLC has been the last two (bar when playing through the middle)

st albans
05-11-2017, 05:21 PM
Agree with almost all of that. Thought Wilf's miss was unfortunate but his decision making today was poor. Cabaye went missing for most of the game.
Thought Dann and Sakho looked a good pair
Friend was pathetic. Son conned him to stop a great chance for us.

Cabaye went missing?!?! Ran the midfield

boxthorncutter
05-11-2017, 05:22 PM

Who are you? What have you done with the real glaziers fan?

cantspell
05-11-2017, 05:26 PM
Disappointed with our corners - we had a lot but didn't do anything with them'
No striker really is crap but we need goals from other areas too. Need to start winning soon

Harry Bassett
05-11-2017, 05:41 PM
Obviously Spurs took their chance and we did not is the basic summary of the game but as well as various players did for us It was the physical ability of Spurs players that we could not match. Several times while we had possession Spurs players won the ball back.

Apart from the lack of a striker we have a couple of players that are not Premier league quality.

Sam Spade
05-11-2017, 05:44 PM
Cabaye went missing?!?! Ran the midfield

To great effect...

the digger
05-11-2017, 05:49 PM
The difference between the two sides today was that, when we had them under the cosh, Son went down holding his head and we get a throw in deep in our own half. Roles reversed and Cabaye's clearance falls to the miraculously recovered Son who finishes with aplomb.

We need to be more clinical, and cynical. But we've got enough to stay up.

Reg_Maudling
05-11-2017, 05:54 PM
cabaye is much improved and plays for the whole match

st albans
05-11-2017, 05:58 PM
I give up with some our fans recently

in-exile
05-11-2017, 06:01 PM
cabaye is much improved and plays for the whole matchThe last man interception in the penalty area was superb from Yohan!
Big Sam got him back to his best and it's carried on this season!

Mr Palace
05-11-2017, 06:03 PM
Should have buried his headed chance which led to him being whacked round the head. I still don't understand how/ why he completely missed the ball.

He had a decent game other than that though.

He's not a striker is he? Not sure why he's expected to score that.

Mr Palace
05-11-2017, 06:04 PM
Why the hell should we be worried about bringing Benteke back into the side? We have no fecking striker.

I know, it's incredible. He's second name on the team sheet after zaha.

Sam Spade
05-11-2017, 06:13 PM
cabaye is much improved and plays for the whole match

Was fantastic under Sam and MoM last week easily. I thought he was lacking today. Just my opinion.

jobiinthelastmi
05-11-2017, 06:14 PM
I can find heart from the defence who were mostly very tidy!

Speroni looked assured without being tested. Kicking was into the right areas.

Need goals!

hihi
05-11-2017, 06:15 PM
Speroni 6 Nothing to do
Fosu Mensah 6 nice to see a fullback get in some tackles
Ward 7 Did really well with some forward runs. RLC should have been substituted instead.
Sakho 8 numerous interceptions & vital headers
Dann 8 Seems to have got his mojo back. A threat in the air once again.
Cabaye 7 worked his socks off
Luka 7 Decent again
RLC 3. I said it before the game - should only be used as a sub. Seems to lack any real pace and jogs thro most of the game. Never a grafter
Townsend 6 Thought he wa rather subdued today, and didn't seem to harry in his usual manner
Zaha 7 I can't believe he didn't look up after rounding the keeper.
Sako 5 still looks overweight

Song was the difference - he's one of those players who always hits the ball sweetly, like Vardy & Kane. If Wilf had put his laces through the ball instead of using his instep it would be a different story, the same if it had been Vorm in goal

Ridcully
05-11-2017, 06:16 PM
Thought Townsend ran his socks off today, definitely my MotM. Sakho ran him close tho.

hihi
05-11-2017, 06:18 PM
Missed out Schlupp 5 His mind seems to go blank at times - needs to concentrate more

spotkick
05-11-2017, 06:29 PM

Wilf ran His socks off all game.

Sako made no difference 15 mins was enough

rainbow_child
05-11-2017, 06:42 PM
Versus Burnley, Newcastle & Spurs today if we’d have had a Striker we would of come away with something.

Simply inexcusable to go into a season with 1 fit Striker. Sadly that will be the reason we will be relegated!

meee
05-11-2017, 06:45 PM
I give up with some our fans recently

:lux: Anyone who thinks Cabaye went missing today can only have watched the game with a blindfold on.

aashman12
05-11-2017, 06:45 PM

Dann 6 solid

Schlupp 5 not enough contribution for me
Luka 6 fine
Cabaye 7 won ball
RLC 5 fairly anonymous

Sub:

Sako n/a

Referee:

Harsh on dann. Thought he was superb today.

aashman12
05-11-2017, 06:48 PM
played very well. their keeper was excellent although we couldn't put it away even when he was beaten. Wonder if sakho will be vilified for pulling out of his header the way pva was for pulling out of his chance three games ago

Doesn't need it but it was a complete bottle job. 1 nil that early would have been totally different

McpfcS
05-11-2017, 06:49 PM
Harsh on dann. Thought he was superb today.

Yep the back four were mostly excellent today. Cabeye was class except giving the goal away [emoji85]

cantspell
05-11-2017, 06:49 PM
Missed out Schlupp 5 His mind seems to go blank at times - needs to concentrate more

Like what you did there [emoji23]

aashman12
05-11-2017, 06:50 PM
should of scored though

That was not on target for 1 second. Horrendous miss

Sam Spade
05-11-2017, 06:50 PM
:lux: Anyone who thinks Cabaye went missing today can only have watched the game with a blindfold on.

It was a red'n'blue blindfold to be fair. We all see the game differently, as every match day thread proves. Happy to be wrong.

meee
05-11-2017, 06:52 PM
It was a red'n'blue blindfold to be fair. We all see the game differently, as every match day thread proves. Happy to be wrong.

Well true and I could understand criticism of the clearance for Son's goal but he absolutely bossed the midfield today.We would be utterly useless without Cabaye,like the start of the season proved.

Golf Boy
05-11-2017, 06:57 PM
Aguero would have scored that chance 100 times out of 100.

Lee sinnots ear
05-11-2017, 06:58 PM
Should have won.

Why are you not sitting alongside Souness and Henry you seem so tactically knowledgable, perhaps you should give Roy your contact details pre the Everton match:clown::clown:

scro
05-11-2017, 06:59 PM
Unfortunately zaha chose today to have a bit of a stinker.

exiledeagle
05-11-2017, 06:59 PM
Was fantastic under Sam and MoM last week easily. I thought he was lacking today. Just my opinion.

The problem with our midfield is that as good as Cabaye and Milivojevic play , they do not create enough offensively - generally we are relying on Townsend and Zaha to produce some magic . Loftus Cheek is wasted out wide and too lazy for that position .
If we ever get full squad to choose from ( with Benteke back and hopefully with some desire ) then I would play

Townsend Cabaye Milivojevic RLC Zaha with Schlupp dropping out .

glenn.f
05-11-2017, 07:00 PM
Missed a trick by not getting Tomkins on for set pieces in the second half, an extra aerial presence at corners would have given us another threat and in these tight defeats away from home.

jobiinthelastmi
05-11-2017, 07:01 PM
The problem with our midfield is that as good as Cabaye and Milivojevic play , they do not create enough offensively - generally we are relying on Townsend and Zaha to produce some magic . Loftus Cheek is wasted out wide and too lazy for that position .
If we ever get full squad to choose from ( with Benteke back and hopefully with some desire ) then I would play

We created plenty of chances today. We were set up to play on the break and we created two or three that if we had a natural finisher would have been easily finished.

palacemetros
05-11-2017, 07:10 PM
At the game, Sakho's chance early doors was at the other end and he clearly did not make contact with the ball. But he took a whack from the keeper who also didn't get the ball as it went for a goal kick. Can anyone tell me why that isn't a pen??

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
05-11-2017, 07:14 PM
Versus Burnley, Newcastle & Spurs today if weíd have had a Striker we would of come away with something.

Simply inexcusable to go into a season with 1 fit Striker. Sadly that will be the reason we will be relegated!
This. Utter stupidity and we all knew it. With the amount we have spent elsewhere in recent years, to then leave such a ridiculous gaping whole in the squad is possibly the daftest thing I have ever known Palace do.

Skiddo
05-11-2017, 07:15 PM
Watched the match on telly.

Sakho, Dann & Townsend had decent games.

RLC was beyond useless. Made no effort to stick to the right and provide cover to TFM. It was embarrassing how much space Spurs and in particular Son & Rose had down that flank. If he wasn't for the tracking back of Sakho and Son's cockiness to go for the near post on one effort it could have been a lot worse than 1-0.

Someone needs to tell him that he either grafts for the team or he can **** off back to Chelsea. Gutless display.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
05-11-2017, 07:20 PM
He's not a striker is he? Not sure why he's expected to score that.
It was a pretty simple header from a few yards out. I would expect most professional footballers to score from there (unless they were too short).

Lee sinnots ear
05-11-2017, 07:21 PM

100% agree as do all the pundits. There is no pleasing some people

firesign
05-11-2017, 07:23 PM
At the game, Sakho's chance early doors was at the other end and he clearly did not make contact with the ball. But he took a whack from the keeper who also didn't get the ball as it went for a goal kick. Can anyone tell me why that isn't a pen??

Two words. Kevin Friend.

Chillo
05-11-2017, 07:26 PM
What's encouraging is that Roy sets us up well and give or take picks the right team.

Something we didn't used to say when AP was the manager; how many times would the team change at half time/before?

There's too much moaning about the players we haven't got; we haven't got them, OK, we know! At least Roy picks the best team for the occasion, most of the time.

Shlupp worries me a bit; RLC seems to disappear in games for long periods.

Jim Cannon
05-11-2017, 07:26 PM
look up after rounding the keeper.
Sako 5 still looks overweight

5 is much too generous. Useless, overweight crock of shite. Only getting on the bench due to our self inflicted mess of a transfer window

exiledeagle
05-11-2017, 07:30 PM
Pasted this on RH thread

RH after todays game

When we look at the table we're still on four points and we're getting further away from the teams that are just outside of the relegation zone, and our task gets harder with every defeat.

"It would be nice by the end of the season to have one person who is a centre forward and goal scorer.
"They have [Harry] Kane, [Heung-Min] Son and [Fernando)] Llorente and all we have if we want to change something is Bakary Sako, a left winger trying his best as a centre forward."

He is obviously fed up like us

Lee sinnots ear
05-11-2017, 07:37 PM

100% agree as do all the pundits. There is no pleasing some people

nash84
05-11-2017, 07:54 PM
All in all we have a perfectly good team who should be competing at this level. Hodgson seems to be setting us up well but clearly has no options to drive the game. Unfortunately it all boils down to a catastrophic pre-season. Wrong manager hired after a month of searching (or not enough backing if they wanted a change)
Our best hope is to keep track until Jan and bring re-inforcements.

GB2506
05-11-2017, 07:54 PM

Got to be a joke??

westsussexeagle
05-11-2017, 08:08 PM

So all those balls Cabaye played over the top of Spurs backline for Wilf or Andros to run onto don't count as 'offensive' then?

st albans
05-11-2017, 08:17 PM
So all those balls Cabaye played over the top of Spurs backline for Wilf or Andros to run onto don't count as 'offensive' then?

I do wonder what game people watch sometimes

palacemetros
05-11-2017, 08:18 PM
Cabaye MoM for me again today.

I don't have to explain it. Just watch the game.

dannyturner
05-11-2017, 08:35 PM
Cabaye excellent, Wilf missed an open goal. That performance level
keeps us up over the course of a season.

AJ
05-11-2017, 08:45 PM
I can't stand Sako and look forward to when he is no longer stealing a living from us
What about RLC? Doesn't even try enough to even get offside.

Mr Palace
05-11-2017, 08:58 PM
Cabaye MoM for me again today.

I don't have to explain it. Just watch the game.

He played well. But he cost us the game with a bad mistake. Sakho MoM for me. Thought he had a blinder.

sydney eagle
05-11-2017, 09:16 PM

Indeed. He played one on the outside of his right boot to Wilf which was especially unbelievable. He did the same last week too

gadford4th
05-11-2017, 09:16 PM
I honestly think that Roy is doing the very best he can with the squad of players he has available. If we had Benteke or even Wickham playing we’d be 7 points better off by now.

Hedgehog
05-11-2017, 09:20 PM
I thought Dann had his best game for a very long time. He even seemed to be acting like a captain as well, encouraging people and organizing people... first time I've seen that from him.

He even seemed to be getting on the end of some corners for the first time in a while.

NorthPalace23
05-11-2017, 09:34 PM
Speroni 6 No chance with their goal. Not much to do!!!

Ward 7 Did his job well. Part of a good defensive unit. Better at left back like the 13/14 season.
Sakho 8 Great blocks and headers.
Dann 8 Motm. Same as Sakho and deserved a goal. Back to his best. Proved me wrong. I wanted Tomkins.
Fosu Mensah 6 Decent enough. Felt like Spurs got more joy on his side.

Townsend 6 Needed to do more today. He did assist Zaha for that chance though.
Cabaye 6 Overall really good. Very decent passing. Total cock up for their goal knocks his mark.
Milivojevic 7 Didn't feel like he imposed himself as much as he could do. He did win tackles and break things up though.
Loftus Cheek 6 Typical performance from him. Out of position to be fair. At times invisible. At other times he looked good going forward.
Schlupp 6 Slid Zaha in with a few decent balls. Needs to offer more offensively.
Zaha 7 Always a threat. Should have scored that chance. Should have passed to Rlc in the 2nd half.

Subs:
Sako 5 Didn't get involved.

cheekychippie
05-11-2017, 09:35 PM
played ok today , but we must start putting our chances away
did not deserve to lose today .

Celestial Empire
05-11-2017, 09:43 PM

Give him a break, he didn't even notice that Ward played on the left and Fosu-Mensah on the right.:rolleyes:

Very good shot from Son, but not "unsavable". Julian got across, but a fraction too late - a younger Julian would probably have reached that.
How desperate is it that Spurs can casually pick up an excellent Argie GK as third choice, whilst Palace can't even land a (mediocre) Dutch GK as first choice?:wallbash:

jobiinthelastmi
05-11-2017, 09:47 PM
Give him a break, he didn't even notice that Ward played on the left and Fosu-Mensah on the right.:rolleyes:

Very good shot from Son, but not "unsavable". Julian got across, but a fraction too late - a younger Julian would probably have reached that.
How desperate is it that Spurs can casually pick up an excellent Argie GK as third choice, whilst Palace can't even land a (mediocre) Dutch GK as first choice?:wallbash:

That shot started about a yard outside the post.

Braders
05-11-2017, 09:51 PM
I honestly think that Roy is doing the very best he can with the squad of players he has available. If we had Benteke or even Wickham playing weíd be 7 points better off by now.

I like Roy and respect him for making the bold call to cull Puncheon, but playing Ward at LB and Loftus-Cheek at RM is madness and will not help us.

eaglejez
05-11-2017, 09:55 PM
although I was there, having watched the highlights how the **** did we not win !! FFS :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

Ian Hart
05-11-2017, 10:00 PM
Unfortunately zaha chose today to have a bit of a stinker.

I appreciate it's a game of opinions, but I'm sorry - I really can't agree with that. For most of the game, he was really top class, and frightened the life out of them. They never looked comfortable when he was on the ball.

As is often the case on this thread, people's opinions on players overall performance get completely affected by the score. Zaha made one bad error, but overall he had a very good game, If he had scored with that chance, and we had won or drawn, I guarantee everyone would have been giving him 8s and 9s

Celestial Empire
05-11-2017, 10:00 PM
Everyone gave 100% with RLC the clear exception, he didnít put in a shift and doesnít appear to care. Schlupp tried but he simply isnít good enough.
MoM for Palace Scott Dann closely followed by Sakho.
Wilf had flashes of brilliance but that miss was so costly.

The England call-up for Loftus-Cheek was hailed by the punditry, and was presumably based on his good performance second-half v West Ham.
Actually, it's a stupidity, he is nowhere near ready and is likely to underperform and be burned. He is very inconsistent, even within a single game.
He is a big chap but needs to make his size count, he is always timid in the tackle/challenge. Is he saving himself for Chelsea, or just going through the motions ?

exiledeagle
05-11-2017, 10:01 PM

Cabaye is a good player but he isn't one that will deliver the killer ball or will burst from midfield . My point was moving RLC to a more central position to compliment Cabaye / Luka .

Celestial Empire
05-11-2017, 10:02 PM
That shot started about a yard outside the post.

Yep, very good shot.

GB2506
05-11-2017, 10:03 PM
He played well. But he cost us the game with a bad mistake. Sakho MoM for me. Thought he had a blinder.

With a bad mistake? He stuck out a leg to block a cross and it landed at Sons feet. He didnít mean to clear it straight to him. It was an insitinctive leg out and unlucky outcome.

I was sat in club wembley today at the other end of the ground and it was quite refreshing to be sat away from some of the clueless twats on here!

Hedgehog
05-11-2017, 10:06 PM
Am I allowed to say how impressed I was with Eric Dier? He made at least 3 clean saving tackles on Zaha that were very impressive.

Not seen anyone else do that so precisely on him before.

Celestial Empire
05-11-2017, 10:08 PM
I appreciate it's a game of opinions, but I'm sorry - I really can't agree with that. For most of the game, he was really top class, and frightened the life out of them. They never looked comfortable when he was on the ball.

As is often the case on this thread, people's opinions on players overall performance get completely affected by the score. Zaha made one bad error, but overall he had a very good game, If he had scored with that chance, and we had won or drawn, I guarantee everyone would have been giving him 8s and 9s

Fair comment, but in my opinion Wilf is still not quite back to his best. He still lacks a bit of his usual zip. Hopefully, the international break will give him more chance to reach top form. He isn't off with the Cote d'Ivoire again is he ?

Golf Boy
05-11-2017, 10:08 PM
Am I allowed to say how impressed I was with Eric Dier? He made at least 3 clean saving tackles on Zaha that were very impressive.

I noticed that. Terrible for england last time out.

scro
05-11-2017, 10:16 PM

Disagree he had some ok moments but his touch was way off when the ball was fed to him on several occasions, he loitered off side on a few occasions and he wasted two of the best openings. I didnt think his work rate and pressing was up to scratch and his passing was off. One poorly executed flick lead to one of Tottenhamís most dangerous attacks. A bad day at the office for him in a run of performances that have been superb.

Celestial Empire
05-11-2017, 10:25 PM
We can't keep saying that. We have to start turning chances into goals, and goals into points!

No more excuses and feeling that we deserved better. From here on in it's got to be about a winning mentality. Everton & Stoke must be 6 points - no less!

With Allardyce we also had some "wheel spin" before we started to get results. Newcastle away (despite their mediocre team) and Spurs, were always going to be difficult.

sydney eagle
05-11-2017, 10:46 PM
I thought Dann had his best game for a very long time. He even seemed to be acting like a captain as well, encouraging people and organizing people... first time I've seen that from him.

He even seemed to be getting on the end of some corners for the first time in a while.
My thoughts as well. Dann is looking like heís getting back to his best

CP-RJW
05-11-2017, 10:47 PM
I noticed that. Terrible for england last time out.
A player good for his club not performing for England, who would’ve thought.

macstar
05-11-2017, 11:25 PM
could zaha have just have walked the ball into the net after passing the keeper instead of taking that shot? havent seen the replay yet.

the digger
05-11-2017, 11:33 PM
could zaha have just have walked the ball into the net after passing the keeper instead of taking that shot? havent seen the replay yet.

Was off balance after getting pushed by the keeper as he went past him so doubt it.

jobiinthelastmi
05-11-2017, 11:41 PM
Yep, very good shot.

It's laughable to suggest he could have saved that. It hit the side netting

StonePenge
05-11-2017, 11:45 PM

You are. Had he not showed up we might have left with a point...or three.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
06-11-2017, 01:09 AM
With a bad mistake? He stuck out a leg to block a cross and it landed at Sons feet. He didnít mean to clear it straight to him. It was an insitinctive leg out and unlucky outcome.

I was sat in club wembley today at the other end of the ground and it was quite refreshing to be sat away from some of the clueless twats on here!
Nah. Watch it back. He wasn't blocking a cross he was attempting a clearance, he made a poor one.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
06-11-2017, 01:29 AM
Losing Benteke has certainly cost us. Let's hope he comes back firing.

It is also the knock on effect of having to use both Andros and Wilf as strikers (neither is big enough to play up there alone), which means we have to play Schlupp in midfield and Loftus-Cheek on the right where he is nowhere near as effective.

Palace Yankee
06-11-2017, 01:54 AM
Losing Benteke has certainly cost us. Let's hope he comes back firing.

It is also the knock on effect of having to use both Andros and Wilf as strikers (neither is big enough to play up there alone), which means we have to play Schlupp in midfield and Loftus-Cheek on the right where he is nowhere near as effective.Sclhupp was made a fool trying to get cute instead of clearing and nearly cost a goal. But, to his credit, he played a couple of glorious through balls.
RLC was ineffective on defense to put it mildly.
To not get a point from a well deserved effort feel soul crushing right now.
Mama was raped by that Argentine backup keeper of theirs.

Hedgehog
06-11-2017, 02:07 AM
Mama was raped by that Argentine backup keeper of theirs.
Should have done better though. Still not convinced by his heading ability, in attack or defence/defense.

audreytatou
06-11-2017, 03:10 AM

I dont think you are because even with all that stuff he is still a spuds ****.

orp pisshead1
06-11-2017, 05:47 AM

Did you go or watch it on tv? Genuine question and certainly not a dig. Defence played very well but Sakho was clearly our best defender.

orp pisshead1
06-11-2017, 05:56 AM

Wrong there mate tbh, he can do a job down the left flank as proved other season at Swansea away where he literally changed the game in our favour and he had a small good spell of games after. Whether anyone can get in his head to motivate him is another matter of course. Players like him are criminally stealing a living as they have the ability but can’t be arsed.

Mr Palace
06-11-2017, 07:04 AM

It really wasn't. He had kods of time and inexplicably passed it to Son. All he had to do was put his foot under the ball. It was an honest mistake but a bad one all the same. It wasn't a defensive block.

bubbs11
06-11-2017, 07:17 AM
It really wasn't. He had kods of time and inexplicably passed it to Son. All he had to do was put his foot under the ball. It was an honest mistake but a bad one all the same. It wasn't a defensive block.

It's a shame because he had a good game, but that's the second game he's lost us this season by not doing the basics right. Southampton at home, he lost a 50/50 on the edge of the box with Davis but then inexplicably just stood watching on the edge of the area as Davis made his way into the area to collect the cross unmarked to score. For a player of his experience and quality that was unforgivable.

I have to say Cabaye frustrates me more than most Palace players. Undoubted quality and one of the most classiest players we've ever had, and his form has been good of late; but his decision making does my head in. Again yesterday, on the edge of their box we had several players up in good positions yet he chooses to have a speculative shot. He does this a lot. I wouldn't mind if he has a habit of scoring from range but in 2 and a half years with us I can only think of the Arsenal goal.

Mr Palace
06-11-2017, 07:21 AM
I agree with that Bubbs. I do think he's been much better since Feb/March though - he seems fitter and is now regularly lasting the full game which is great to see. He's a class act. Would love to see him score a bit more though and his set pieces should be better.

Malarkey
06-11-2017, 07:45 AM
Wouldn't be as bad if that cheating **** hadn't scored the winner.

Malarkey
06-11-2017, 07:46 AM
Sakho was by far the best player on the pitch.

McpfcS
06-11-2017, 07:54 AM
Weíre far too honest. In the last few mins Andros shouldíve gone down in the area under a poor lunge but stayed up to deliver the cross.

Hector
06-11-2017, 08:27 AM
Great effort from the lads but missing chances costs. Great efforts are going to keep us up.

Cabaye and Sakho were quality. RLC is good player and still only a young lad but he could do with more end product.

Mr Palace
06-11-2017, 08:29 AM
Wouldn't be as bad if that cheating **** hadn't scored the winner.

I thought the rule was the ref only stops play if there's a head injury? he stopped it a couple of times for Spurs players who went down but not with head injuries.

Penstone Eagle
06-11-2017, 09:13 AM
Sakho was by far the best player on the pitch.

In the Palace team yes.

I should bloody well hope so for the money he cost.

Penstone Eagle
06-11-2017, 09:16 AM
I thought the rule was the ref only stops play if there's a head injury? he stopped it a couple of times for Spurs players who went down but not with head injuries.

It is.

But I think he got swayed because the cheat was in the vacinity of the goalmouth, not sure about the other incident. Plenty cheat like this now. Son blatantly cheated to put the pressure.on an easily influenced official, a poor one at that.

Martin H
06-11-2017, 09:17 AM

Looked to me as if he did try to clear it but just didn't get good contact/miskicked it. Probably the player I would least expect to do that but....
then of course it went to Son and he finished it really well from 20 yards? It followed what had been a period of building pressure.

For the other 90+ mins I thought Cabaye was again our best player even allowing for strong performances from the CBs. He covered the whole pitch and did really well against a strong midfield. He seems to be the one providing the drive/urgency which is good to see.

Yesterday the front 2 and Ruben all struggled to win the ball against their markers and then hold the ball for long enough for us to get much of a breather but we coped despite that. Died showed how good he is again yesterday. We created a lot of chances despite that which has to be a good sign but only if we start finishing them.

glaziers fan
06-11-2017, 09:35 AM
The England call-up for Loftus-Cheek was hailed by the punditry, and was presumably based on his good performance second-half v West Ham.
Actually, it's a stupidity, he is nowhere near ready and is likely to underperform and be burned. He is very inconsistent, even within a single game.
He is a big chap but needs to make his size count, he is always timid in the tackle/challenge. Is he saving himself for Chelsea, or just going through the motions ?

I agree that RLC's attitude has to be questioned. He played well under FdB but has been poor since returning from injury bar the odd flash here and there.

But at the same time I feel for him; he's not suited to the 4-4-2. He is not a right winger, and actually he is not a No10 either. He's a box-to-box midfielder, running with the ball from deep. If he can't play in the middle he should be on the left, so at least he can cut in, and run with the ball, for example in 2nd half vs West Ham.

We were very unlucky against Spurs, which is encouraging. But eventually that won't matter, so we have to find a way of grinding out the results. That might involve RLC dropping to the bench. Especially in away games.

gilesy14
06-11-2017, 09:39 AM
Frustrating game. I didn't go to Wembley expecting much & losing 1-0 to them is no disgrace. However, having witnessed a decent performance from us - it's hard to stomach coming away from there with nothing.

Wilf isn't a striker. He was growing more & more frustrated, coming up against arguably the best defence in the division. The sooner he is back out wide, the better. I haven't seen his miss back yet but it sounds like he should've scored.

Sakho was brilliant. Cabaye very good too.

But ultimately, we're being made to pay for not having a striker. Yet again. It really is a joke that we find ourselves in this position.

macstar
06-11-2017, 09:58 AM
Weíre far too honest. In the last few mins Andros shouldíve gone down in the area under a poor lunge but stayed up to deliver the cross.

agree

Martin H
06-11-2017, 10:09 AM
I agree that RLC's attitude has to be questioned. He played well under FdB but has been poor since returning from injury bar the odd flash here and there.

But at the same time I feel for him; he's not suited to the 4-4-2. He is not a right winger, and actually he is not a No10 either. He's a box-to-box midfielder, running with the ball from deep. If he can't play in the middle he should be on the left, so at least he can cut in, and run with the ball, for example in 2nd half vs West Ham.

We were very unlucky against Spurs, which is encouraging. But eventually that won't matter, so we have to find a way of grinding out the results. That might involve RLC dropping to the bench. Especially in away games.

If we revert to some sort of 451 pr 433 with Benteke's return he will do well in the middle. I am still surprised he hasn't pushed him forward and asked Townsend to do that right sided roll. I think Townsend is better with a defined role and is actually better coming forward from deep than he is making runs up front anyway. So same shape but swap their roles. Guess Roy knows best but it looks like it solves some problems.

There is no doubt that Ruben has had a couple of relatively MEH games but I don't think he should be consigned to the bin at this point. He obviously has real talent but needs to sharpen up quick from a Palace perspective. Lot of good role models around.

bigend1
06-11-2017, 10:24 AM
A bit late on this as I had to nail it out of the door at full time and don't get the chance at work.

Another excellent performance not rewarded with the points. The lack of striker cost us again. An outstanding performance from their keeper cost us again. Another not given penalty cost us again, though a more understandable one to be fair and it's only the replay again that you think ooooh. He's taken him out without the ball and that enough would have been enough to get Sakho pulling out from a certain goal. Hey ho, that's football and we have to make luck irrelevant...to the game.

All posession for Spurs, good old palace at their best stuff. We soaked it up most of the game and on the break were dangerous all game. Dier made four saving tackles that were excellent in the first half. Three on wilf and a one on schlupp failing with any would have been us through. A couple of heavy touches giving him the chance but excellent defending none the less. We weee knocking on the door. Sakho with his near goal clattering, nearly through a few times and looking dangerous. Spurs had only had one chance when the ball fell for kane took just long enough to drop to him wardy charged and did enough to stop a free header. They were looking dangerous down our right getting TFM isolated against rose and son regularly. In contrast ward and schlupp were doing an excellent job working together to keep what i thought would be our weak side watertight.

Second half and Spurs had us under siege for 10 minutes, we were getting battered and that's when we need someone to 'take a knock' and kill the game a bit because it was ferocious. The Solid defence that had played so well was looking stretched and again it was wardy who made maybe 5 superb tackles and blocks to save our skin.

Then it was our turn. We had 10 mins or so camped out in the their half and nearly scored a few. Dann, zaha, Luka and andros coming close. Good saves largely keeping us at bay and a horror Miss from zaha.

The goal, it was a first time clearance from cabaye, bit of a miss hit that rolled nicely to son who of course finished perfectly. A suburb shot and no keeper was getting near it with the curl on that.

Last 15 mins or so it was end to end but Spurs looking more likely. That's no problem, good from Roy as he went gung ho and all out attack. That's what we need to do this season. Goal difference is irrelevant as we will always be behind probably so go for the goals and points. Every game will have a cup game feel when we're behind now so I hope people can appreciate when to stop judging a well organised defence that's played well if we are throwing everything forward!

Jules 6 - didn't have much to do really. No chance for the goal

TFM 6 - not a great game. To be fair isolated against rose and son a number of times in the first half and that's in part due to RLC. Got sloppy in the second, caught in posession and lose passes that could easily have cost us. Probably tired by then.

Dann 9 - thought he was excellent. Cut out so much in the first half, organised the defence and nearly scored with a fine header. He's showing signs of the Dann of old this season, let's hope he does it consistently.

Sakho 8.5 - excellent display with Dann. Cut out what Dann didn't. Spurs rarely troubled us and they look an excellent pair. Could and probably should have scored but probably saw the keeper was taking him out and not the ball.

Ward 9.5 - MOTM - hard to chose between these three at the back. Ward gets the edge because of that 10 minutes of Spurs siege and it was all being played out of position. Was the only one to react quickly when the ball was dropping to kane in the first half and charged at him, it was the only thing that stopped kane having a free header 12 yards out and their best chance that half. During the siege he intercepted, tackled and blocked about 5 dangerous balls that would have seen us likely concede. I thought our left would be our weak link but ward and schlupp worked so well together, swapping positions and covering perfectly. Looks like they worked on that to address our problem area and it was excellent. Still gets a nosebleed in the opposition half but he's a defender first and foremost and at that he's great.

RLC 5 - not great. Needs to be central. We got glimpses of his quality on the ball and a few decent defensive headers but didn't track back and exposed TFM to both son and rose a lot. Not much going forward and really didn't fight for it. He'll be a top player, he's young and has the quality but I want more from him in this fight. We don't have time to develop a passenger and today for large periods he was.

Luka 7 - another steady performance batting in midfield. Wasn't his best and another few lose passes he should be doing better with but with cabaye next to him he's feeding off scraps. Yohan is doing everything!

Cabaye 9 - so underrated on here for so long due to people expecting him to score from 30 yards every game, he's finally getting the appreciation he deserved and is getting better and crucially fitter still. He's been excellent for 60 minutes for a long time and now it's 90. He's everywhere! Defensively a nightmare for opposition but with the quality to start an attack with a key pass. Poor clearance for the goal but he's miss hit it first time. Otherwise superb

Schlupp 7 - a couple of good moments going forward but defensively he was excellent for the most part today. His work with ward to seal up the left was great and they seem to have a great understanding. Between them we were covered well.

Zaha 7.5 - he played well. A threat all afternoon but marshalled superbly by dier in the first half when he almost broke away a few times. Did well to get chances but missed that open goal, awkward though it was. Also a couple of times the final ball was lacking or the wrong decision made. He still played a good game, just disappointing by his own hero like standards.

Townsend 8 - all energy and a threat all day with his pace. Lacking that killer shot or defence splitting run but his incredible engine and pace keeps teams at bay to a degree

Sako 5 - killed our fight back sadly. Didn't seem to have heard of offside and it killed our attack and allowed them to pile pressure on or slow the game with posession. Poor from him after his recent revival

Roy 9 - what can you say. He's got no strikers and a side who should be on the floor. Tactics have out gunned our last five opposition. The players still fight for him and believe. He's covered our left back problem with a well drilled combo of ward and schlupp. The defence is looking very well organised, the players fit and even cabaye in all action for 90 mins now. Despite the lack of a striker we look dangerous but just can't finish. Partly the place of striker but we've sadly been victim of some great saves too. Much to my delight he knows goal difference is **** all now to us and went all out attack for the last 10 minutes. That's great. We lose 9 out of ten sam concede an extra 10 goals doesn't matter if we get points from it in the other game!

This is probably one of, if not the most consistent run of good performances we've had since promotion. They fight, they believe. We don't need radical change we need to carry on doing what we are and take our chances. Some bad luck with saves and penalty decisions but we now create lots of chances and concede far less. The points will come, we just need to keep playing as we are. Big Ben needs to come in fighting for it and we can do this, we need to believe!

917L
06-11-2017, 11:39 AM
Good day out, but very frustrating. A game we should have taken at least a point from.

RLC has quality but doesn't appear to care

Wilf did ok but it was a really poor miss

Cabaye my mom

Spurs amongst the quietest fans I've ever seen

gilesy14
06-11-2017, 11:52 AM
Good day out, but very frustrating. A game we should have taken at least a point from.

RLC has quality but doesn't appear to care

Wilf did ok but it was a really poor miss

Cabaye my mom

Spurs amongst the quietest fans I've ever seen

I hated all of yesterday. Firstly the early KO & then the complete ballache of getting out & away from Wembley - it's a joke. For such a fairly new stadium which was meant to be state of the art, getting out of a stadium shouldn't be such a task & the transport links are a disgrace.

Re the atmosphere, I have season ticket holding Spurs mates. They despise it at Wembley because of the atmosphere. It's awful - I was on the right of our support yesterday, right by their fans & it was genuinely 99% tourists. The majority of their fans can't wait to get out of Wembley & I don't blame them.

glaziers fan
06-11-2017, 11:52 AM
If we revert to some sort of 451 pr 433 with Benteke's return he will do well in the middle. I am still surprised he hasn't pushed him forward and asked Townsend to do that right sided roll. I think Townsend is better with a defined role and is actually better coming forward from deep than he is making runs up front anyway. So same shape but swap their roles. Guess Roy knows best but it looks like it solves some problems.

There is no doubt that Ruben has had a couple of relatively MEH games but I don't think he should be consigned to the bin at this point. He obviously has real talent but needs to sharpen up quick from a Palace perspective. Lot of good role models around.

I agree with everything you say. There's no way he should be consigned to the dustbin, he's a very talented lad. I think 4-3-3 is the way forward:

------------Cabaye----Milivojevic------RLC
Townsend--------------Benteke---------------Zaha

But I can't see Roy switching from 4-4-2, so I am hoping for:

Townsend----Cabaye-----Miiivojevic-----RLC
---------------Benteke--------Zaha-----------

Either way, RLC is going to have to work much harder than he has in recent weeks. He needs to look at the role models as you say; people like Jimmy McArthur and Yohan Cabaye who work their arses off. If he can't do it then Jimmy Mac or Jairo Riedewald should be considered. Roy has 2 weeks to sort out the shape due to the international break. My biggest worry is that Roy goes 4-4-1:

Townsend-----Cabaye------Milivojevic-----Zaha
-------------------------RLC-----------------------
-----------------------Benteke--------------------

That to me would lead to Benteke getting isolated imho. If we are to go 4-4-1-1 or 4-4-2 it has to be either Wilf next to CB or we need to sign another nippy striker in the window. So Zaha for now. Despite his miss yesterday I still think he can do damage up front with benteke on a regular basis.

Mr Palace
06-11-2017, 11:54 AM
Looked to me as if he did try to clear it but just didn't get good contact/miskicked it. Probably the player I would least expect to do that but....
then of course it went to Son and he finished it really well from 20 yards? It followed what had been a period of building pressure.

For the other 90+ mins I thought Cabaye was again our best player even allowing for strong performances from the CBs. He covered the whole pitch and did really well against a strong midfield. He seems to be the one providing the drive/urgency which is good to see.

Yesterday the front 2 and Ruben all struggled to win the ball against their markers and then hold the ball for long enough for us to get much of a breather but we coped despite that. Died showed how good he is again yesterday. We created a lot of chances despite that which has to be a good sign but only if we start finishing them.

It was unfortunate as you say as Cabaye played well. You'd expect better of him than to make such a basic mistake but these things happen. More generally, he has noticeably improved since February and his fitness and stamina is much better. I don't think we could replace him easily if he were out inured/suspended.

Mr Palace
06-11-2017, 11:56 AM

I think that's spot on. We'll get much more out of RLC if he's just behind the striker. He wasn't good against West Ham for large parts of the game but then he came alive late on and his runs from the centre were fantastic. He really helped drive the team forwards. He's wasted out wide. And I agree that Townsend is much better on the wing. Saying all that, RLC does need to up his work rate though.

glaziers fan
06-11-2017, 11:57 AM
It was unfortunate as you say as Cabaye played well. You'd expect better of him than to make such a basic mistake but these things happen. More generally, he has noticeably improved since February and his fitness and stamina is much better. I don't think we could replace him easily if he were out inured/suspended.

Agreed. And I didn't think he was replaceable last season either and yet he has improved further!

Penstone Eagle
06-11-2017, 11:58 AM

Why have we had to wait for him to improve? His performances have been patchy at best, expected much better from him.

gilesy14
06-11-2017, 11:59 AM
Why have we had to wait for him to improve? His performances have been patchy at best, expected much better from him.

Nonsense.

Mr Palace
06-11-2017, 12:00 PM

I think he's been consistent for quite a while now. I suspect all the managerial chopping and changing - new formations and styles etc - hasn't helped him or other players. But he's firing on all cylinders now.

bigend1
06-11-2017, 12:02 PM

Not a pop at you... just amazing how the same game/performances can be seen so differently. He's been immense!

Owngoal
06-11-2017, 12:18 PM
Cabaye had a lot of personal problems last year splashed all over the French press that must have impacted on him. Being friends with Steve (the keeper, not the chairman) can't have helped his mood either. He is currently the player we thought we had bought and would love to see him sign a new contract with us.

Owngoal
06-11-2017, 12:23 PM
The MoM rating is hilarious with every player now on at least one vote. Jules gets 3 votes when as acknowledged on TV he had sweet FA to do! Good to see such a good and disciplined defensive performance with the Cabaye error not as bad as some we have gifted, and we should have done more to stop that goal. The more you look at Wilf attempt the more the water skews the ball. With injuries clearing up this bunch will do things compared to those just above us.

st albans
06-11-2017, 12:27 PM

probably our player of the season so far

eagle mart
06-11-2017, 12:38 PM
Interesting. I've gone with Sakho. Because he was immense - a leader. Ward was good too - which proves to FDB the team is always better than the sum of it's parts. Although cant believe that's not reflected here! I thought Zaha was not as good as previous games (and his miss summed it up) and Townsend was better.

But it's good to have so many possible candidates for a change.

Yoda
06-11-2017, 12:38 PM

Cabaye received nearly 50% of the votes cast on here to win MoM against West Ham, this despite fansí favourite Wilf also having a great match.

Heís been easily one of our best players this season, and did well with Allardyce too.

gilesy14
06-11-2017, 12:52 PM
It's no coincidence that Cabaye was not at his best under Pardew, who obviously paid little attention to fitness work - just think of Townsend under Pardew compared to him under Allardyce. He was a completely different player.

Cabaye's class on the ball has always been there for all to see. It just didn't help that he was struggling to be effective for 90mins - usually blowing after an hour. Fitness is so key in the Prem, it really was ludicrous that Pardew largely ignored it. As soon as Sam came in & got everyone up to the acceptable fitness levels, Cabaye was dominating midfield for 90 mins like everyone knew he capable of. Since the start of the year, he has been largely great for us & when he is not in the team, we look far worse for his absence.

It also probably didn't help that upon signing him, Mark Bright declared on Twitter that he's a number 10. He really isn't. For that reason, I think people expected we were getting a totally different type of player & set unreasonable expectations. Throw into that that his arrival coincided with fans favourite Jedinak playing less & less, I don't think he was the most popular player - especially given his reported wages.

I for one have always enjoyed watching Yohan play - for me he oozes class. He's arguably one of my favourite Palace centre mids in my time supporting the club. He'll be so hard to replace & when he is gone, fans may finally realise exactly what he brought to the side. Because it's an awful lot.

Malarkey
06-11-2017, 01:02 PM
In the Palace team yes.

I should bloody well hope so for the money he cost.

On the pitch.

Palacebear
06-11-2017, 01:05 PM
It's no coincidence that Cabaye was not at his best under Pardew, who obviously paid little attention to fitness work - just think of Townsend under Pardew compared to him under Allardyce. He was a completely different player.

Cabaye's class on the ball has always been there for all to see. It just didn't help that he was struggling to be effective for 90mins - usually blowing after an hour. Fitness is so key in the Prem, it really was ludicrous that Pardew largely ignored it. As soon as Sam came in & got everyone up to the acceptable fitness levels, Cabaye was dominating midfield for 90 mins like everyone knew he capable of. Since the start of the year, he has been largely great for us & when he is not in the team, we look far worse for his absence.

It also probably didn't help that upon signing him, Mark Bright declared on Twitter that he's a number 10. He really isn't. For that reason, I think people expected we were getting a totally different type of player & set unreasonable expectations. Throw into that that his arrival coincided with fans favourite Jedinak playing less & less, I don't think he was the most popular player - especially given his reported wages.

I for one have always enjoyed watching Yohan play - for me he oozes class. He's arguably one of my favourite Palace centre mids in my time supporting the club. He'll be so hard to replace & when he is gone, fans may finally realise exactly what he brought to the side. Because it's an awful lot.

I agree with this. YC is a top top player, assuming that we stay up & he leaves in the summer I think some fans will begin to realise how good he is/was.

In the current climate it would take tens of £mís to find an equal replacement.

I love watching him play and also like the fact he is niggly bístd, who doesnít take any sh*t from the opposition.

Celestial Empire
06-11-2017, 01:10 PM
It's laughable to suggest he could have saved that. It hit the side netting

I said a young Julian (with his super sharp reflexes) could have reached it, not this Julian. Enjoy your laugh, but try to spend a bit of time brushing up on your comprehension.:)

glaziers fan
06-11-2017, 01:15 PM

All of this. ^^^

And Cabaye has arguably kicked on again under Hodgson. He is even fitter now than under Big Sam. And he has always said he likes 4-4-2. He obviously relishes the extra responsibility. Well done Yohan. Now sign a new contract please ;)

Martin H
06-11-2017, 01:16 PM

There was a lot going on for him back then which TBH probably had a bigger bearing. Personal life turmoil, carrying an injury etc. Cabaye has always had a personal trainer as well as the clubs and there was footage of extra stuff he was doing on top of the club. When he first arrived there werenít many on the same wavelength TBH. I donít think it was just because he wasnít doing enough training. More injury and head stuff I would say. Still even then playing better than given credit for I think. Noticeably fitter/faster today this season.

glaziers fan
06-11-2017, 01:18 PM
I said a young Julian (with his super sharp reflexes) could have reached it, not this Julian. Enjoy your laugh, but try to spend a bit of time brushing up on your comprehension.:)

To me, he could have got there, but it would have been a wonderful save. As it is I don't believe it's an error, mainly because he was partially unsighted - looked from the tv replays that he got across well enough but the ball went under his hand. If he could have seen the trajectory of that shot all the way I think he saves it.

Skintagain
06-11-2017, 02:25 PM

I think he's been alright this year and very good yesterday, mom for me. I suspect last year playing with Mac and Puncheon he had too much to do, its the players around him that have given him the chance to shine.

GB2506
06-11-2017, 02:36 PM

Clueless

GreatGonzo
06-11-2017, 04:17 PM
Only watched on Telly but Sakho looked m.o.m. to me. I counted four blocks in the first fifteen minutes alone and that was after being clattered by Gazzaniga (sp?)

If a midfielder comes and clatters through an opposition player after the ball has gone it is a foul. Why when a GK come and clatters a player in the box when the ball has gone is that ok?

4 cryingOutloud
06-11-2017, 04:37 PM
Unbelievable how RLC's chin dropped (to the ground) immediately they scored. That isn't what is required from any player, and Zaha needs to learn to take the easiest option rather than trying to bulge the net when a simple tap in would have done us proud. It was a mighty miss that cost us points. Other than that everyone did their job, some better than others. I can't put down Schlupp, Ward or Sako, because they did their best playing out of their natural positions, but when there's no alternatives, you have to make do, and it doesn't help our plight when very good opportunities are missed.

EddieEdwards
06-11-2017, 10:19 PM
If a midfielder comes and clatters through an opposition player after the ball has gone it is a foul. Why when a GK come and clatters a player in the box when the ball has gone is that ok?http://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?p=13931345#post13931345

Alfonso
07-11-2017, 08:42 PM
My review of the game, including my player ratings here: https://youtu.be/qXBjtmsfBss