PDA

View Full Version : Loud bang

Pages : [1] 2

dav434
05-11-2017, 03:18 PM
Did anyone else hear it and know what it was? Couldn't see any flares from where I was

Terrace Bickle
05-11-2017, 03:22 PM
Sako's arse backfiring.

Nostrils
05-11-2017, 03:23 PM
Sako's arse backfiring.

:D

ForzaPalace
05-11-2017, 04:08 PM
The sound of us dropping a division

BillyTKid
05-11-2017, 04:12 PM
Did anyone else hear it and know what it was? Couldn't see any flares from where I was

My foot going through the tv when Zahs missed.

Ruskin Old Boy
05-11-2017, 04:15 PM
They do that every home game, apparently to alert Spurs fans to leave early if they want to avoid the queues at Wembley Central. :angel:

old git
05-11-2017, 04:27 PM
Spurs fans moaning on twitter about Palace fans throwing fireworks into the blue check pub at Wembley.

aj4england
05-11-2017, 04:27 PM
Looked like a smoke bomb

tasty_snacks
05-11-2017, 05:03 PM
Just a bloody loud bang. Didn't see any smoke.

Daft in today's climate.

Nelson Muntz
05-11-2017, 05:15 PM
A loud banger was let off in our end followed by two flares. One red one blue.

st albans
05-11-2017, 05:23 PM
Scared the shit out of me when it first went off

bhb
05-11-2017, 05:39 PM
It went off behind me, I felt the blast in the back of my legs before I heard it! The bomb dogs are clearly ineffective!

bhb
05-11-2017, 05:41 PM
As was most of the stewarding today.

Owngoal
05-11-2017, 05:43 PM
Annoys me they can get into the ground as could equally be somdthing from a terrorist. Y

Dorking .Eagle
05-11-2017, 05:44 PM
These quotes are from the BHA tickets thread, where many myself included were expressing frustration at the reduced allocation. The posts below were made by a respected supporter who helped run the CPFC Supporters Club for many years and now sits as a supporter observer on the Safety Advisory Group, which comprises people like the Council Licensing Dept, Police, Stadium Management and the Sports Grounds Safety Authority. Maybe these meetings might normally be somewhat boring, however, how these bodies view Crystal Palace fans and their behaviour has an impact on ticket allocation decisions and how much we are (or aren't) trusted (and how strictly we are treated) in future.

Because of ..... those who set off flares and loud explosions at Chelsea last season all of the more reasonable fans can expect rigorous body searches and severe restrictions on bags. The history of this fixture and similar games against Charlton suggest that not all fans of either club can be trusted to behave in a reasonable manner, however small a minority they may actually be. The restrictions imposed at future games will entirely depend on our behaviour at these fixtures.

Not everything is a conspiracy against Palace fans. We reap what we sow. Actions by a few at previous games like Chelsea or Liverpool result in restrictions on the many.

in-exile
05-11-2017, 05:57 PM
It was a quite large bang .. from the back right of our seats ... We all know who were in that corner. ;)
Not a big deal really. :rolleyes:

liberal clubber
05-11-2017, 06:03 PM
So. You fannies and your large bangs have stopped me getting a Brighton ticket so is a big deal for 1000 palace fans who nearly got a ticket

in-exile
05-11-2017, 06:04 PM
So. You fannies and your large bangs have stopped me getting a Brighton ticket so is a big deal for 1000 palace fans who nearly got a ticket Allegedly ... Plus don't blame me I was twenty feet away.

palacemetros
05-11-2017, 06:08 PM
Annoys me they can get into the ground as could equally be somdthing from a terrorist. Y

You must understand that if a terrorist wants to, they can. No amount of security screening will stop it but the appearance makes people "feel" safer.

We got to Wembley at 11.30 and left three cans in a plastic bag in a bush on Wembley Way in the hope that they might be there for "afters". Guess what. They were still there when we returned after the game.

little al
05-11-2017, 06:27 PM
So. You fannies and your large bangs have stopped me getting a Brighton ticket so is a big deal for 1000 palace fans who nearly got a ticket

They don't care, they have a ringfenced ticket allocation apparently.

eaglejez
05-11-2017, 06:35 PM
These people really are thick. It's a jailable offence when they get caught

Oli28
05-11-2017, 06:37 PM
Why would bangers at a previous game have an impact on our alllcation at Brighton away? Plenty of other teams in this league set off way more pyro than Palace do and still get full allocations at their away matches. Some of you will believe anything.

meee
05-11-2017, 06:40 PM
These quotes are from the BHA tickets thread, where many myself included were expressing frustration at the reduced allocation. The posts below were made by a respected supporter who helped run the CPFC Supporters Club for many years and now sits as a supporter observer on the Safety Advisory Group, which comprises people like the Council Licensing Dept, Police, Stadium Management and the Sports Grounds Safety Authority. Maybe these meetings might normally be somewhat boring, however, how these bodies view Crystal Palace fans and their behaviour has an impact on ticket allocation decisions and how much we are (or aren't) trusted (and how strictly we are treated) in future.

What on earth has any of that got to do with reduced allocations?Someone makes a loud bang so suddenly we can only have 2000 fans at an away game?

little al
05-11-2017, 06:42 PM
Why would bangers at a previous game have an impact on our alllcation at Brighton away? Plenty of other teams in this league set off way more pyro than Palace do and still get full allocations at their away matches. Some of you will believe anything.

We are not trusted.

west country boy
05-11-2017, 06:44 PM
We are not trusted.Thanks to Parish’s chums in Block B.

little al
05-11-2017, 06:45 PM
Thanks to Parish’s chums in Block B.

Who will all have tickets to Brighton so don't care.

Oli28
05-11-2017, 06:46 PM
Who will all have tickets to Brighton so don't care.
Almost as if it's not the true reason for the reduced allocation...

Dorking .Eagle
05-11-2017, 06:47 PM
Do silly shit like this and it's giving the authorities an easy excuse.

Whether our allocation is 2000 or 200 I'd still qualify for a ticket, so from that respect I shouldn't really care.

Just have the opinion that this sort of behaviour doesn't help anyone in the long run.

Twin of Droy
05-11-2017, 06:56 PM
It subdued the atmosphere in our end.
At a time in the game when we were getting behind the team because the police made a show of videoing all fans, not just the HF.

MFBias
05-11-2017, 08:01 PM
You must understand that if a terrorist wants to, they can. No amount of security screening will stop it but the appearance makes people "feel" safer.

We got to Wembley at 11.30 and left three cans in a plastic bag in a bush on Wembley Way in the hope that they might be there for "afters". Guess what. They were still there when we returned after the game.

What you expect the navy seals to find your three beer cans a bush? I dont think most alcoholics would be sweeping bushes for cans of beer. This proves nothing. Security will always be a measure not a prevention, as you say there always a way, but do you really expect stewards searching bushes around the ground for your haul of Four X?

Joe85
05-11-2017, 08:04 PM
What you expect the navy seals to find your three beer cans a bush? I dont think most alcoholics would be sweeping bushes for cans of beer. This proves nothing. Security will always be a measure not a prevention, as you say there always a way, but do you really expect stewards searching bushes around the ground for your haul of Four X?

Lol

HurstpierPalace
05-11-2017, 08:07 PM
Didn't seem to achieve much whatever it was. Barely saw any smoke or colour from down the front and even when a fireman went up the back he didn't seem to find anything. Someone should be asking for a refund.

Malarkey
05-11-2017, 08:08 PM
3,000 people, always gonna have a few absolute morons included in there.

kabbott
05-11-2017, 08:10 PM

Here's another security blip. Madame kabbott and I took a plane back to France from Lisbon the other day and didn't have our passports checked once anywhere! :eek:

west eagle
05-11-2017, 08:12 PM
Just find them really annoying, the smoke is one thing but the maroons are just a pain.

west eagle
05-11-2017, 08:13 PM
Here's another security blip. Madame kabbott and I took a plane back to France from Lisbon the other day and didn't have our passports checked once anywhere! :eek:

Schengen init

JAS78
05-11-2017, 08:14 PM
Last 5 minutes and we were moving forward with the ball when this went off, lost it quickly after the explosion

Convinced it distracted out attack, well done you absolute ****

Princess
05-11-2017, 08:18 PM
It’s stupid.
In this day and age people should know better than to do this shit.

FourtyTwo
05-11-2017, 08:27 PM
Wasn't there today, but just think bangers are ridiculous and pointless, and do more to disrupt than create an atmosphere.

I was just getting my six year old daughter into football last season when a number got let off at Bolton in the cup. She's not been interested since, as it scared her - so slightly limits my opportunities to attend as well.

My guess would be it's the same people, whoever they may be, but thanks to them I don't get to see my team as often, and we've probably lost a future fan!

palacemetros
05-11-2017, 08:29 PM

The strange thing is that at time of stashing, we did consider that they might look suspicious. When the banger went off, we thought that security had blown our Stella to bits!

Nelson Muntz
05-11-2017, 08:30 PM
The strange thing is that at time of stashing, we did consider that they might look suspicious. When the banger went off, we thought that security had blown our Stella to bits!

sydney eagle
05-11-2017, 08:39 PM
Usually on tele you hear it but it’s more background noise. The bang today was ******* loud and very clear

liberal clubber
05-11-2017, 08:44 PM
We are not trusted so our allocation to Brighton gets reduced I feel sad for anyone that doesn’t get this

west country boy
05-11-2017, 08:48 PM
Schengen initI didn’t get my passport checked between Heathrow and Aberdeen a couple of months ago (which was very different to my experience on the same trip last year).

CP Satellite
05-11-2017, 08:48 PM
Not saying it’s advisable to bring pyro to public events - but I’m fairly sure several away club’s fans did at Selhurst last season - many of them were from the biggest clubs in the Premier - so did Chelsea, Liverpool, Man U etc have their ticket allocations reduced for any matches after exactly the same offences that are being offered as the reason for Palace’s reduced allocation at Brighton?

It would be interesting to find out if we are the only club being treated in this way. Having spoken to several match stewards at Palace over the last few years - other club’s fans have managed to assault stewards and the catering staff in the Arthur Wait Stand, damage the facilities on the concourse and of course on the night we drew with Liverpool 3-3, they had several hundred ticketless fans forcing their way through the turnstiles and gates of their section.

So a couple of loud bangs and some smoke are far worse crimes are they?

Sick Bucket
05-11-2017, 08:54 PM
Undeniably ******* stupid given the current climate of regular terrorist attacks, what's the point? ******* bellends, whoever did it I really hope they are caught, fined and banned.

kabbott
05-11-2017, 08:57 PM
Schengen init

I get that obviously but I always thought there was a compulsory passport check on planes especially with these high security levels!

nash84
05-11-2017, 08:58 PM
Part of our attendance still see football as it was 20-30 years ago. The only thing which changed is the demographic of the support due to the sanitizing of the game as a whole. Now you naturally have a large majority who would to sit and watch a game of football without any disturbances. Therefore, you will have a conflict of opinion.
I watched the "lighthouse derby" between Genoa and Sampdoria yesterday evening, where they were letting of flares and smoke bombs all night. Women and children in the crowd appeared to be having a great time. I think society has gone completely soft .

IanH
05-11-2017, 09:10 PM

Think people are not using their brains on this thread. So when we only got 2,000 tickets for the play-off semi-final how many bangers had been let off at games involving Palace leading up to that game?

Yoda
05-11-2017, 09:15 PM
Not saying it’s advisable to bring pyro to public events - but I’m fairly sure several away club’s fans did at Selhurst last season - many of them were from the biggest clubs in the Premier - so did Chelsea, Liverpool, Man U etc have their ticket allocations reduced for any matches after exactly the same offences that are being offered as the reason for Palace’s reduced allocation at Brighton?

It would be interesting to find out if we are the only club being treated in this way. Having spoken to several match stewards at Palace over the last few years - other club’s fans have managed to assault stewards and the catering staff in the Arthur Wait Stand, damage the facilities on the concourse and of course on the night we drew with Liverpool 3-3, they had several hundred ticketless fans forcing their way through the turnstiles and gates of their section.

Liverpool set off some smoke flares (or whatever they’re called) in the Arthur when they came to us. But not the explosively loud bangs.

The bangs don’t help and are quite possibly counter-productive.

If it is the HF, time to stop indulging this behaviour...and if our ticket allocations do become reduced as a consequence of a bad rep they’re getting us, then the first cut will have to be from their privileged ticket allocation.

If actions have no consequences for those involved, then they’re unlikely to stop.

CP Satellite
05-11-2017, 09:18 PM
Part of our attendance still see football as it was 20-30 years ago. The only thing which changed is the demographic of the support due to the sanitizing of the game as a whole. Now you naturally have a large majority who would to sit and watch a game of football without any disturbances. Therefore, you will have a conflict of opinion.
I watched the "lighthouse derby" between Genoa and Sampdoria yesterday evening, where they were letting of flares and smoke bombs all night. Women and children in the crowd appeared to be having a great time. I think society has gone completely soft .

You can understand the sensitivity purely from a security point of view, especially after recent terrorist attacks - but as I’m from a mediteranean background where their are firework festivals throughout the year not just one like Nov 5th (which is now apparently less popular than Haloween!) - it’s strange to see the difference in reaction to what you get from many people here have to unscheduled pyro to that on the continent - where the majority of people simply don’t give a shit when they see smoke and far louder and more frequent pyro than you get here.

I totally get why people get upset, but it really is a cultural difference that you would only understand if came from a country that had street fireworks every other week in the year.

mether
05-11-2017, 09:21 PM
We’re Beginning to sound like Chelsea fans at the away game last season, the loud bang stopped us playing.

Yoda
05-11-2017, 09:23 PM
You can understand the sensitivity purely from a security point of view, especially after recent terrorist attacks - but as I’m from a mediteranean background where their are firework festivals throughout the year not just one like Nov 5th (which is now apparently less popular than Haloween!) - it’s strange to see the difference in reaction to what you get from many people here have to unscheduled pyro to that on the continent - where the majority of people simply don’t give a shit when they see smoke and far louder and more frequent pyro than you get here.

I totally get why people get upset, but it really is a cultural difference that you would only understand if came from a country that had street fireworks every other week in the year.

There was a piece on the BBC recently that demonstrated that in some US states you have to go through more checks to buy a firework than to buy a gun!

I guess that’s because the right to bear sparklers and Roman candles wasn’t in their constitution.

eagles #1
05-11-2017, 09:24 PM

Of course they haven't. It's not the reason we (Or Brighton, don't forget) have a reduced allocation. It has nothing to do pyro.

pauldrulez
05-11-2017, 09:32 PM
It’s Firework night.

There’s loud bangs everywhere.

radiomike
05-11-2017, 09:36 PM
We are not trusted so our allocation to Brighton gets reduced I feel sad for anyone that doesn’t get this

Unfortunately there are some sub morons who would find such an argument well beyond them and really have little interest in football. There were young children at the game but that of course is worth less than getting a laugh from Thier equally cretinous mates. Hopefully cctv will expose these sub humans and everyone else can watch gAmes without the presence of these brain deads

MFBias
05-11-2017, 09:48 PM
It’s Firework night.

There’s loud bangs everywhere.

But the Terrorists :sob:

CJ PLUM
05-11-2017, 10:06 PM
Do silly shit like this and it's giving the authorities an easy excuse.

Whether our allocation is 2000 or 200 I'd still qualify for a ticket, so from that respect I shouldn't really care.

Just have the opinion that this sort of behaviour doesn't help anyone in the long run.

Hi Dave - hope your boy was okay after the explosion. I was sitting very near you and right in front of the Holmesdale Fanatics.

The thunderclap was set off within the Fanatics group who were standing in a small block at the rear of section 114. Whoever set it off clearly used a couple of rows of their group to act as a shield so that they could not be observed by Police and stewards who were standing just below them in the vomitory.
Not only did it shock many around us but it also seemed to deaden the general atmosphere. After the bombing attacks at public gatherings in Manchester, Paris and Brussels over the last few years this was particularly worrying for many supporters. Also following the earlier moment of remembrance for those far braver than them it was especially insensitive.
Yet again our friends have let the club down. One of them has used the block sale of tickets by the club to their group to hide from view. This follows the incidents at Chelsea when they were allocated seats at the front of the upper tier where they set off flares and several loud explosions. The photo below shows a rucksack full of pyrotechnics that was found in Brompton Cemetery that day. Did someone seriously think they could take this cache into a football game?
Other notorious incidents by them have been at Liverpool, Bolton and at Selhurst, only days after the Paris attacks, when a loud explosion under the Selhurst railway bridge was set off as they were escorted to the ground and clearly frightened many fans just before the game.

Many people falsely believe that we have well behaved fans. Whilst the press may laud the ‘famous atmosphere’, amongst the Police Constabularies we have a more notorious reputation. At the SAG meetings the Met Police will regularly read out a litany of incidents that take place at away games, usually away from the ground. When we were in the Championship we had probably the worst club reputation. This is not the same sort of reputation that club ‘firms’ would gain in the 80’s but more a whole series of anti-social behaviour incidents. This information is shared by the Police intelligence officers and club security officers so it directly affects their match planning and the restrictions imposed on all our fans.
I feel sorry for their organisers who clearly put a lot of effort into planning displays, away trips and even merchandising only to be let down by the inconsiderate actions of a few. How much longer can the club continue to appease this group without confirmation that it has some control over its members? Can you actually organise a group of anarchists?
As I have said before we reap what we sow; actions by a few result in restrictions on the many. Of course the Brighton restrictions are not directly due to these problems but it all adds up.

As a warning to them the other photo shows what can happen when a pyrotechnic went off early in the hand,or at least what was left of it, of an Ultra in Italy.

http://www.cpfc.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=33&pictureid=116 http://www.cpfc.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=33&pictureid=118

MFBias
05-11-2017, 10:16 PM
I find the bangers annoying only because I have tinnitus and dont want to make it worse, but if I find those that have been sucked into project fear by the media in regard to hearing a bang go off and think it's terrorists is a stretch. Does anyone actually have this response, or are they worried for other hypothetical people that will have that response?

Gizmo
05-11-2017, 10:23 PM
Went off right behind us. Not impressed and told them so.

IanH
05-11-2017, 10:24 PM
When we were in the Championship we had probably the worst club reputation. This is not the same sort of reputation that club ‘firms’ would gain in the 80’s but more a whole series of anti-social behaviour incidents. This information is shared by the Police intelligence officers and club security officers so it directly affects their match planning and the restrictions imposed on all our fans.

http://www.cpfc.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=33&pictureid=116 http://www.cpfc.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=33&pictureid=118

Laughable. We are always right near the bottom of arrest league tables when they are published.

CJ PLUM
05-11-2017, 10:31 PM
I find the bangers annoying only because I have tinnitus and dont want to make it worse, but if I find those that have been sucked into project fear by the media in regard to hearing a bang go off and think it's terrorists is a stretch. Does anyone actually have this response, or are they worried for other hypothetical people that will have that response?

I suggest you look at videos of the Manchester bombing and the panic inside the arena.

scro
05-11-2017, 10:31 PM
They don’t provide a visual spectacle, they scare kids and others and they do nothing for the atmosphere so all they do is serve to prove how daring and uncontrollably cool the black shirts are.

Still I can’t afford a corporate box so I guess it might be worth a try letting one or two off if it wins me a reserved section for me and my pals at all the big games.

jaspercpfc
05-11-2017, 10:33 PM

bloody gremlins

CJ PLUM
05-11-2017, 10:34 PM
Laughable. We are always right near the bottom of arrest league tables when they are published.

Those figures are for inside grounds. I am including incidents away from grounds.

Gazza2
05-11-2017, 10:35 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-24931711

Can be fatal injuries from pyros in grounds.

Gazza2
05-11-2017, 10:37 PM
Man U used to suffer reduced away allocations on Merseyside for persistent standing!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-18955495

CPFC.1990
They are thick .

Gizmo
bloody gremlins

Gremlins was not the words I used even shocked my husband :)

scro
05-11-2017, 10:38 PM

I think people simply have the right not to be left in any doubt that a loud explosion in a stadium/arena is something they should feel edgy about.

Would you let one off on a tube and expect everyone to have a jolly good laugh about it?

They have no upside! Who thinks it helps the team or the atmosphere?

CPFC.1990
05-11-2017, 10:41 PM
Tweet this to Parish, only way to stop this sort of crap going on by bringing it attention.

A Wooden Fish On Wheels
05-11-2017, 10:43 PM
Yes! I do

CPFC.1990
05-11-2017, 10:44 PM
It's made the media anyway. They will have a pic of who did it.

Gazza2
05-11-2017, 10:44 PM
I think that's the point of them letting them off. They get a kick from reaction it causes.
If letting them off got no reaction then there would be no point in doing so.

CPFC.1990
05-11-2017, 10:45 PM
I think that's the point of them letting them off. They get a kick from reaction it causes.
If letting them off got no reaction then there would be no point in doing so.

The lifetime ban will make a bigger noise.

Gazza2
05-11-2017, 10:48 PM
Lifetime bans or shorter ones can be difficult to enforce. Over the years I've seen a number of Palace fans at games while they are banned.

Gazza2
05-11-2017, 10:53 PM
I think there has been a bit of give and take between club and HF. I stood next to Browett on a Sat morning at a Palace U18s match. There were rumours that HF would be doing a Holloway out protest at the afternoon 1st team home game.
I overheard Browett on phone saying protest all you want but not during the 90 mins as need you to support the team during the game. I assume he must have been speaking to the HF. And at 1st team game there was no protest during the 90 mins.

Dorking .Eagle
05-11-2017, 10:54 PM
New thread on HOL today - 'Trouble in Pub', apparently rival fans fighting each other away from the ground after the game. Not making any connections other than such reports back up the 'antisocial behaviour' rep. alluded to in earlier posts above.

Gazza2
05-11-2017, 10:57 PM
It was at Blue Check Bar. Palace fans said there was some 50/50 aggro and then a Spurs fan pulled a knife.

Billy Rhino
05-11-2017, 11:01 PM
It was loud and scary, and that was just the fireworks I let off in my back garden

Yoda
05-11-2017, 11:10 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-24931711

Can be fatal injuries from pyros in grounds.

I’m not condoning this activity, but the stuff I’ve seen our fans set off is not that sort of flare. They don’t rocket off across the ground like a massive firework.

I’d like to think no Palace fan could possibly condone or encourage any sort of propelled firework type flare being used, such as the one you have linked to.

I saw them holding up the smoke things when we were at Chelsea and they looked like the sort of thing that you see yachtsman holding aloft when they win a race. They let out a big plume of coloured smoke.

eagles #1
05-11-2017, 11:17 PM
Hi Dave - hope your boy was okay after the explosion. I was sitting very near you and right in front of the Holmesdale Fanatics.

The thunderclap was set off within the Fanatics group who were standing in a small block at the rear of section 114. Whoever set it off clearly used a couple of rows of their group to act as a shield so that they could not be observed by Police and stewards who were standing just below them in the vomitory.
Not only did it shock many around us but it also seemed to deaden the general atmosphere. After the bombing attacks at public gatherings in Manchester, Paris and Brussels over the last few years this was particularly worrying for many supporters. Also following the earlier moment of remembrance for those far braver than them it was especially insensitive.
Yet again our friends have let the club down. One of them has used the block sale of tickets by the club to their group to hide from view. This follows the incidents at Chelsea when they were allocated seats at the front of the upper tier where they set off flares and several loud explosions. The photo below shows a rucksack full of pyrotechnics that was found in Brompton Cemetery that day. Did someone seriously think they could take this cache into a football game?
Other notorious incidents by them have been at Liverpool, Bolton and at Selhurst, only days after the Paris attacks, when a loud explosion under the Selhurst railway bridge was set off as they were escorted to the ground and clearly frightened many fans just before the game.

Many people falsely believe that we have well behaved fans. Whilst the press may laud the ‘famous atmosphere’, amongst the Police Constabularies we have a more notorious reputation. At the SAG meetings the Met Police will regularly read out a litany of incidents that take place at away games, usually away from the ground. When we were in the Championship we had probably the worst club reputation. This is not the same sort of reputation that club ‘firms’ would gain in the 80’s but more a whole series of anti-social behaviour incidents. This information is shared by the Police intelligence officers and club security officers so it directly affects their match planning and the restrictions imposed on all our fans.
I feel sorry for their organisers who clearly put a lot of effort into planning displays, away trips and even merchandising only to be let down by the inconsiderate actions of a few. How much longer can the club continue to appease this group without confirmation that it has some control over its members? Can you actually organise a group of anarchists?
As I have said before we reap what we sow; actions by a few result in restrictions on the many. Of course the Brighton restrictions are not directly due to these problems but it all adds up.

As a warning to them the other photo shows what can happen when a pyrotechnic went off early in the hand,or at least what was left of it, of an Ultra in Italy.

:D **** sake..

You sound like a little bitch.

CPFC31
05-11-2017, 11:25 PM
The sound of Relegation Confirmed.

eagles #1
05-11-2017, 11:25 PM
Meanwhile in Switzerland this afternoon..

zTSTCifLDp8

I wonder how many people died?

Bunch of ******* pussies in this country.

eagles #1
05-11-2017, 11:29 PM
And meanwhile in France..

8qZA7f-9nyQ

Inconsiderate bastards. I bet everyone thought they were terrorists.

MFBias
05-11-2017, 11:30 PM
I think people simply have the right not to be left in any doubt that a loud explosion in a stadium/arena is something they should feel edgy about.

Would you let one off on a tube and expect everyone to have a jolly good laugh about it?

They have no upside! Who thinks it helps the team or the atmosphere?

I dont like them and think they should be banned from stadiums due to the damage they can do to people's ear, as I myself have tinnitus caused from a loud bang. My point wasnt whether they have a place at football, more whether people actually have the thought process that they could be 'terrorist attack' as some earlier posters mentioned, or are just assuming an hypothetical person may perceive it as much?

When I hear it, I just think bloody pryo, not 'quick to the exit Al Qaeda are coming'

eagles #1
05-11-2017, 11:31 PM
******* hell. Even the Danish are at it this afternoon.

r28tYm6gV-4

Death toll across Europe must have been huge.

meee
05-11-2017, 11:39 PM

I've built a nuclear bunker for the annual 5th November bangs.You can never be too safe.Any one of them could be something other than a firework.

macstar
05-11-2017, 11:58 PM

i got searched twice when entering the ground.... full search/rub down etc etc.......whats the point of doing it to just a few people.!1

I was also close to the HF where the bang and flares came from..... they are a pain in the arse.

StonePenge
06-11-2017, 12:23 AM
What’s missing from this thread is 5 reasons explaining why letting off fireworks in an enclosed space will help CPFC. Or why it is a good idea at all. The floor is yours....

jimmy the gent
06-11-2017, 01:19 AM
******* hell this country is so pussified. Oh no, a loud bang!!! At a football match!!! Heaven help us... write a stern letter to the FA and/or your local mp why don’t you...

StonePenge
06-11-2017, 01:29 AM
Why is it a good idea?

Ooh Betty
06-11-2017, 01:29 AM

What a load of cobblers. Man up. Ffs

Ooh Betty
06-11-2017, 01:33 AM
Last 5 minutes and we were moving forward with the ball when this went off, lost it quickly after the explosion

Convinced it distracted out attack, well done you absolute ****

Seiously ?
Really?

Knob

CJ PLUM
06-11-2017, 01:37 AM
i got searched twice when entering the ground.... full search/rub down etc etc.......whats the point of doing it to just a few people.!1

I was also close to the HF where the bang and flares came from..... they are a pain in the arse.

Probably where they hid the firework.

Ooh Betty
06-11-2017, 02:51 AM
******* hell this country is so pussified. Oh no, a loud bang!!! At a football match!!! Heaven help us... write a stern letter to the FA and/or your local mp why don’t you...

Darts
:p

Sick Bucket
06-11-2017, 06:41 AM
Why is it a good idea?

Because the children think it's hard and cool :jerkit:

Dorking .Eagle
06-11-2017, 06:52 AM
- pyro in the stadium;

- report of Palace fans throwing fireworks into the Blue Check Restaurant at Wembley;

- 30 fans attacking a pub full of Spurs fans with flag poles, police and ambulances in attendance.

Just a normal matchday, nothing to see here.

I think some of our fans will be happier in the Championship amongst the likes of Leeds, Millwall and Birmingham.

scro
06-11-2017, 06:54 AM
I dont like them and think they should be banned from stadiums due to the damage they can do to people's ear, as I myself have tinnitus caused from a loud bang. My point wasnt whether they have a place at football, more whether people actually have the thought process that they could be 'terrorist attack' as some earlier posters mentioned, or are just assuming an hypothetical person may perceive it as much?

When I hear it, I just think bloody pryo, not 'quick to the exit Al Qaeda are coming'

Righto so it’s a total over reaction to not appreciate a loud explosion at an event in a city where attacks have taken place several times this year but if Kevin spacey shows you his winky it’s perfectly normal to blame that for a lifetime of under confidence and nightmares.

No hypothetical about it. I took my Mrs to the game yesterday (her first one) she said “was that a bloody bomb?”. Obviously I thought it more likely to be a double hard hf letting off a “pyro”. She wasn’t traumatised but why should everyone be made to jump/put on edge? So our vip guests can show off in front of their mates?

pauldrulez
06-11-2017, 07:28 AM
- pyro in the stadium;

- report of Palace fans throwing fireworks into the Blue Check Restaurant at Wembley;

- 30 fans attacking a pub full of Spurs fans with flag poles, police and ambulances in attendance.

Just a normal matchday, nothing to see here.

I think some of our fans will be happier in the Championship amongst the likes of Leeds, Millwall and Birmingham.

When the HF and other fans got attacked by 300 Man Utd fans, was you being this much of a bellend?

scro
06-11-2017, 07:35 AM
When the HF and other fans got attacked by 300 Man Utd fans, was you being this much of a bellend?

Were you.

Come on, there is no need to sound like a hooligan just because we are discussing them.

Dorking .Eagle
06-11-2017, 08:04 AM

I attended the Man United away match with my family, wore our Palace colours perfectly safely had no problems at all. You do understand why the police classify groups like the HF as 'risk supporters' don't you, all dressed similarly and coming and going in a large group? Why opposition troublemakers might get the wrong impression when seeing or hearing them en masse? The HF aren't afraid to draw attention to themselves, not always wise when at bigger clubs with bigger reputations.

Still not seen any reasons why letting off pyro in the stands is a good idea, if anything it just seems to divide the support. Really cant see the point, seems like more and more Palace fans are sick to the back teeth of it to be honest.

JAS78
06-11-2017, 08:10 AM
Seiously ?
Really?

Knob

Don’t be a dimwit, of course a massive explosion in the the stand which was completely random is going to distract everyone for a few seconds, including the players.

orp pisshead1
06-11-2017, 08:10 AM
Wasn't there today, but just think bangers are ridiculous and pointless, and do more to disrupt than create an atmosphere.

I was just getting my six year old daughter into football last season when a number got let off at Bolton in the cup. She's not been interested since, as it scared her - so slightly limits my opportunities to attend as well.

My guess would be it's the same people, whoever they may be, but thanks to them I don't get to see my team as often, and we've probably lost a future fan!

It don’t really bother me until I read posts like this :(, drop the bangers/louder noises at least please. It 100% doesn’t improve atmosphere at all and neither does the drum proved yesterday as our block was singing ( admittedly not as loud as normal but i blame those ***** BT), and we was over other side from the hf who are obviously favoured by Parish :rolleyes:.

orp pisshead1
06-11-2017, 08:12 AM
I attended the Man United away match with my family, wore our Palace colours perfectly safely had no problems at all. You do understand why the police classify groups like the HF as 'risk supporters' don't you, all dressed similarly and coming and going in a large group? Why opposition troublemakers might get the wrong impression when seeing or hearing them en masse? The HF aren't afraid to draw attention to themselves, not always wise when at bigger clubs with bigger reputations.

Still not seen any reasons why letting off pyro in the stands is a good idea, if anything it just seems to divide the support. Really cant see the point, seems like more and more Palace fans are sick to the back teeth of it to be honest.

Spot on :p.

orp pisshead1
06-11-2017, 08:14 AM

Shut up you muppet you obviously don’t know who the poster is :hmph:

Yoda
06-11-2017, 08:18 AM

Why don’t you post a considered argument why these explosive pyros, which are banned in stadia in this country (so it’s irrelevant what’s allowed elsewhere) should be encouraged and are a good thing?

Personally, I don’t mind the smoke ones as I can see that they can add to the atmosphere (in more ways than one!).

But this thread is about the ones that are just a huge bang. No, we don’t think terrorist when we hear them, but that’s only because we half expect it when we travel away with Palace.

redandblue
06-11-2017, 08:28 AM

Maybe because we don't have police in the ground.

I don't know how arrests outside of the ground are sorted into football and non football, so if a few of the HF get nicked for putting some stickers in Victoria Station public toilets at 9pm on the way home form Leicester is that a football offence ?

WandsworthEagle
06-11-2017, 08:51 AM
Sad to read the nastiness on here towards hugely respected life-long fans. I should think that the last time Chris P or David L missed a Palace game the people on here calling them bellends and bitches were not even born.

Dorking .Eagle
06-11-2017, 09:27 AM
To give this thread so balance (god knows why I should feel the need to), I don't think anyone disputes that the HF have brought loads of noise, colour and atmosphere to Palace games, home and away. Quite frankly the atmosphere in the late 90's at Selhurst before they got things going was largely limited to about 50 teenage 'Back Row Boys' valiantly trying to make some noise singing that the opposition player taking the corners near them was 'shagging Will Young' - totally embarrassing.

The flags, banners and tifo's are a huge feat of organisation, and donations are made from right across the fanbase towards these, they are not just funded from within the HF.

Palace fans have pretty much all bought into the positive atmosphere that they have introduced. We don't all wear black, paint our own flags or march to the ground together for games, but look at the atmosphere at the Chelsea home game a few weeks ago - the entire ground was going absolutely mental singing the same songs together on all 4 sides of the stadium.

The club rightly recognise the vocal lift that such an organised group of lads bring and let them have a storage cupboard, reserve sections for them at big away games, invite them to meetings and give them a hotline to the owners should they choose to use it.

Nobody is saying don't make a racket, stop the flags and banners. Nobody is saying be like Fulham and sit in silence watching games for 90 minutes (although the 13 years in the top flight and the European Final achieved under Roy would be nice!). We are Palace and we clap with our hands not clappers like Br*ghton.

Just a bit of common sense really, the anti-social behaviour doesn't do anyone any favours - you can't complain if you give it the biggun and Man United give you a slap.

Poor behaviour does have an impact on how we all are treated in the future.

Even if Millwall have behaved like angels all this season, going to their game at Leeds as an away fan will be a complete pain in the arse for them, because of the reputation they have previously earned. I really wouldn't want Palace to become like that. A lot of other Palace fans don't want that either. We are old enough to remember what going to football used to be like, it was a bit hairy in the old days, and whilst it could be argued it always was like that 30+ years ago, the punishments for it now are a great deal worse.

We reap what you sow.

Maz
06-11-2017, 09:29 AM
******* hell this country is so pussified. Oh no, a loud bang!!! ...

Did you not think this through?

PremierPalace
06-11-2017, 09:34 AM
To give this thread so balance (god knows why I should feel the need to), I don't think anyone disputes that the HF have brought loads of noise, colour and atmosphere to Palace games, home and away. Quite frankly the atmosphere in the late 90's at Selhurst before they got things going was largely limited to about 50 teenage 'Back Row Boys' valiantly trying to make some noise singing that the opposition player taking the corners near them was 'shagging Will Young' - totally embarrassing.

The flags, banners and tifo's are a huge feat of organisation, and donations are made from right across the fanbase towards these, they are not just funded from within the HF.

Palace fans have pretty much all bought into the positive atmosphere that they have introduced. We don't all wear black, paint our own flags or march to the ground together for games, but look at the atmosphere at the Chelsea home game a few weeks ago - the entire ground was going absolutely mental singing the same songs together on all 4 sides of the stadium.

The club rightly recognise the vocal lift that such an organised group of lads bring and let them have a storage cupboard, reserve sections for them at big away games, invite them to meetings and give them a hotline to the owners should they choose to use it.

Nobody is saying don't make a racket, stop the flags and banners. Nobody is saying be like Fulham and sit in silence watching games for 90 minutes (although the 13 years in the top flight and the European Final achieved under Roy would be nice!). We are Palace and we clap with our hands not clappers like Br*ghton.

Just a bit of common sense really, the anti-social behaviour doesn't do anyone any favours - you can't complain if you give it the biggun and Man United give you a slap.

Even if Millwall have behaved like angels all this season, going to their game at Leeds as an away fan will be a complete pain in the arse for them, because of the reputation they have previously earned. I really wouldn't want Palace to become like that. A lot of other Palace fans don't want that either. We are old enough to remember what going to football used to be like, it was a bit hairy in the old days, and whilst it could be argued it always was like that 30+ years ago, the punishments for it now are a great deal worse.

We reap what you sow.

Good post.

jaspercpfc
06-11-2017, 09:41 AM
Quite frankly the atmosphere in the late 90's at Selhurst before they got things going was largely limited to about 50 teenage 'Back Row Boys' valiantly trying to make some noise singing that the opposition player taking the corners near them was 'shagging Will Young' - totally embarrassing.

Ah the good old days of the BRB, Dean, Dom, Paul, Andy & co :p

eaglejez
06-11-2017, 09:41 AM

lovely :(

eagle mart
06-11-2017, 09:46 AM

I'm more in the no pyro, no party camp - but that's grim.

sydnsteve
06-11-2017, 10:11 AM
How can anyone seriously think letting off bangers at a football match is a good idea? Give me strength.

oddrod
06-11-2017, 10:12 AM
Ah the good old days of the BRB, Dean, Dom, Paul, Andy & co :p

Fantastic times.

Barbara4003
06-11-2017, 10:14 AM
I don't understand how anyone with even low/medium intelligence can't understand why a loud bang in an area in London that is known to contain thousands of people, isn't seen as worrying by a lot of people.

But that aside, I'm also concerned as to how the whatever-it-was got into the ground at all. We're all reminded about enhanced security checks at virtually every ground we go to now. No bags, no rucksacks, body searches. So how did a seemingly well known group of boys/men, known to be Ultras and recognised by their dress, manage to smuggle the thing in? It's quite worrying that these so-called enhanced searches obviously aren't being implemented in the correct manner.

Do they use children to smuggle them in? I'd have said in the past maybe they use girls, but even us females are subject to pat downs and bag searches now.

orp pisshead1
06-11-2017, 10:14 AM
Sad to read the nastiness on here towards hugely respected life-long fans. I should think that the last time Chris P or David L missed a Palace game the people on here calling them bellends and bitches were not even born.

100% spot on :p.

Sp1Eagle
06-11-2017, 10:15 AM
I blame the security :cool:

Chris Leitch
06-11-2017, 10:22 AM
One hell of a bang - felt it hit my legs before hearing the noise! Have to say my first thought was that it might be something far more sinister.

Couldn't care less about HF or what they do/don't do... (I did enjoy the Zombie Nation chant yesterday) I think the bigger worry is that if they can take these things in the ground, then so can other people with bad intentions.

scro
06-11-2017, 10:23 AM
I don't understand how anyone with even low/medium intelligence can't understand why a loud bang in an area in London that is known to contain thousands of people, isn't seen as worrying by a lot of people.

But that aside, I'm also concerned as to how the whatever-it-was got into the ground at all. We're all reminded about enhanced security checks at virtually every ground we go to now. No bags, no rucksacks, body searches. So how did a seemingly well known group of boys/men, known to be Ultras and recognised by their dress, manage to smuggle the thing in? It's quite worrying that these so-called enhanced searches obviously aren't being implemented in the correct manner.

Do they use children to smuggle them in? I'd have said in the past maybe they use girls, but even us females are subject to pat downs and bag searches now.

Pat downs are almost meaningless. I guess the bag checks prevent home made devices in back packs like we have seen in london.

I have no idea what they use to make such a loud bang? Presumably bigger than the old school traditional banger but presumably not so big that you can't hide it about your person without being identified. In some senses this does provide some comfort because something designed to cause mass harm would presumably be harder to shove in your pants.

Icy
06-11-2017, 10:27 AM
It wasn't that loud. Storm in a teacup like usual. Still no idea how they got in with flares; I got searched 3 times going in.

art malice
06-11-2017, 10:30 AM
Pat downs are almost meaningless. I guess the bag checks prevent home made devices in back packs like we have seen in london.

I have no idea what they use to make such a loud bang? Presumably bigger than the old school traditional banger but presumably not so big that you can't hide it about your person without being identified. In some senses this does provide some comfort because something designed to cause mass harm would presumably be harder to shove in your pants.

Maybe it’s a very loud phone playing a clip of a banger

johnbush
06-11-2017, 10:32 AM
Did you not think this through?
Judging by other posts he doesn't do thinking.

Nelson Muntz
06-11-2017, 10:35 AM
But that aside, I'm also concerned as to how the whatever-it-was got into the ground at all.

The dogs are noseblind. Must have been the same ones at Chelsea last season.

I was stood with my daughter about 10 seats to the right of the HF in the ground and have to say that they did have the whole end singing in unison almost all the time.
The actual bang didn't seem that loud to us even though we were very close to it. The sound must have rebounded off the back wall.
Same with the smokebombs. The smoke went behind us along th back row. The Spurs fans to our right seemed pretty upset by it.

Good to see SB on this thread. With the two sides of the argument being fiercely put across and the name calling, you can see why he doesn't get involved on here anymore. He'd just be dragged into a slanging match.

libran
06-11-2017, 11:02 AM
We're still really behind in this country in terms of supporter culture.
The MLS has organised areas where people know smoke devices will be used and can then avoid or join in as they choose.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/03/06/15/3E02374D00000578-0-image-a-38_1488814383820.jpg

https://orlando-mp7static.mlsdigital.net/styles/image_landscape/s3/images/FansStadium.jpg

thefox
06-11-2017, 11:04 AM

Where would the girls hide them ?

Barbara4003
06-11-2017, 11:18 AM
Where would the girls hide them ?

Not where you think!

Females didn’t used to be searched as thoroughly as the men, so would have been easier to take a chance.

Ooh Betty
06-11-2017, 11:25 AM

What a chap

SuttonExile
06-11-2017, 11:46 AM
We're still really behind in this country in terms of supporter culture.
The MLS has organised areas where people know smoke devices will be used and can then avoid or join in as they choose.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/03/06/15/3E02374D00000578-0-image-a-38_1488814383820.jpg

https://orlando-mp7static.mlsdigital.net/styles/image_landscape/s3/images/FansStadium.jpg

And yet this will get ignored :D

scro
06-11-2017, 11:52 AM

I can see the appeal of smokes.. I cannot see the appeal in making loud bangs.

Regardless of that though we don't have sections so thats that.

CJ PLUM
06-11-2017, 11:57 AM
To give this thread so balance (god knows why I should feel the need to), I don't think anyone disputes that the HF have brought loads of noise, colour and atmosphere to Palace games, home and away.

Nobody is saying don't make a racket, stop the flags and banners.

We reap what you sow.

Well said Dave

What a great post. Probably the most reasoned argument I've read in ages. Everyone should go back and read the full post #110.

Dorking .Eagle
06-11-2017, 11:58 AM

It doesn't add anything to the debate about Pyro at Palace matches though does it. Pyro inside stadiums is illegal in this country, and I really cannot see any future government changing that all the time Bradford is in people's minds. This Country has a much stricter Health and Safety culture than abroad.

By all means go to Panionos games and indulge your pyro fantasies, but in this country more than pissing off your fellow fans and dividing opinion, you risk a custodial sentence!

To be honest the more I think about it, the more I think that the extra hassle we get isn't really a deterrent to the Ultras. They get followed everywhere by the police, it makes them feel important. The notoriety is probably why they do it.

SuttonExile
06-11-2017, 12:11 PM
It doesn't add anything to the debate about Pyro at Palace matches though does it. Pyro inside stadiums is illegal in this country, and I really cannot see any future government changing that all the time Bradford is in people's minds. This Country has a much stricter Health and Safety culture than abroad.

By all means go to Panionos games and indulge your pyro fantasies, but in this country more than pissing off your fellow fans and dividing opinion, you risk a custodial sentence!

To be honest the more I think about it, the more I think that the extra hassle we get isn't really a deterrent to the Ultras. They get followed everywhere by the police, it makes them feel important. The notoriety is probably why they do it.

I agree with your last point. I love HFs tifos's and they do improve the atmosphere home and away. I have no problem with smoke bombs and flares. But bangers don't add anything to the atmosphere in my opinion anyway.

I also think health and safety in this country is OTT. Rightly or wrongly. I have no intention of going to a Panionos game, however I do go to watch Red Star Belgrade when I can, who let off pyro at every single game and yet no injuries/deaths are reported.

eagles #1
06-11-2017, 12:24 PM
Shut up you muppet you obviously don’t know who the poster is :hmph:

Old Bill?

CJ PLUM
06-11-2017, 12:26 PM

So we should salute our brave warriors who courageously infiltrated enemy territory. After landing at the Tram Stop beach-head they fought against overwhelming odds through the war zone of Trafford Wharf to reach their target objective of the turnstiles.

Maybe the club will recognise their sacrifices with a minute of appreciation next week. Edit Changed from minute silence as even they do not deserve comparison with real heroes.

They may think that they're defending the fans' honour; just not in my name.

We got caught behind this incident and the HF were hardly an innocent party when they came across what appeared to be a Man Utd protest group.

FourtyTwo
06-11-2017, 12:32 PM
I can see the appeal of smokes.. I cannot see the appeal in making loud bangs.

Regardless of that though we don't have sections so thats that.

Exactly - smokes / flares etc I don't have an issue with (if you ignore the illegality) - especially if done in an isolated area where there is fair warning (i.e. Block B), but bangers just do not add anything to the atmosphere.

Yesterday was completely different in that it was (a) a banger, not a smoke bomb and (b) an away fixture where people can't necessarily control where they are sat.

SA Eagle
06-11-2017, 12:32 PM
I'm fairly agnostic as regards flares and bangers etc. but what I don't understand is what purpose yesterday's served. At Chelsea, I can see that the bangers going off were in keeping with the raucous goal celebrations and atmosphere at the time; but yesterday's didn't add to anything; the game was generally meandering along to its' end, the atmosphere had largely faded and the banger didn't change anything; it didn't even seem to particularly lift the HF.

cp98
06-11-2017, 12:35 PM
Still didn't wake up the soulless bowl that Wembley is. Zombies

Dorking .Eagle
06-11-2017, 12:43 PM
Old Bill?

Old Bill?

He is probably too modest, so I will explain - for donkeys years Chris worked for the supporters club and has probably arranged and put on more Palace rail excursions and 'specials' (you might read about those in a Dougie Brimson book) for his fellow fans than you have had school dinners. Things like the Player of the Year event only happened for years because of volunteers like Chris. He has been helping out other Palace supporters for more years than most of us have been around.

Even now he voluntarily gives up his own time to represent the views of Palace fans at meetings such as last week for planning the arrangements for Br*ghton away, the sort of meetings that the HF cannot even bother to attend, just because he cares about his fellow fans and is keen to see Palace fans' voices heard and ensure that arrangements go as smoothly as possible.

He sticks up for Palace fans when sometimes he must wonder why he bothers and tries to defend the indefensible.

Just my view but I think he deserves a little bit of respect on this subject.

Gizmo
06-11-2017, 12:47 PM
What a chap

Funny seeing as i’m a woman. Doh

Yoda
06-11-2017, 12:47 PM
I'm fairly agnostic as regards flares and bangers etc. but what I don't understand is what purpose yesterday's served. At Chelsea, I can see that the bangers going off were in keeping with the raucous goal celebrations and atmosphere at the time; but yesterday's didn't add to anything; the game was generally meandering along to its' end, the atmosphere had largely faded and the banger didn't change anything; it didn't even seem to particularly lift the HF.

Exactly my thoughts on it.

I can only guess that the plan was to let it off during the general melee when we score (as per at Chelsea), but as we didn’t look like scoring they decided to let it off anyway.

Having already taken a chance to bring it in the ground, maybe they felt it was better to explode it and therefore get rid of it, rather than risk anyone being caught with it on them? Mission accomplished (no doubt a little buzz of excitement for the person involved), rather than having to carry the thing back home.

orp pisshead1
06-11-2017, 12:59 PM
He is probably too modest, so I will explain - for donkeys years Chris worked for the supporters club and has probably arranged and put on more Palace rail excursions and 'specials' (you might read about those in a Dougie Brimson book) for his fellow fans than you have had school dinners. Things like the Player of the Year event only happened for years because of volunteers like Chris. He has been helping out other Palace supporters for more years than most of us have been around.

Even now he voluntarily gives up his own time to represent the views of Palace fans at meetings such as last week for planning the arrangements for Br*ghton away, the sort of meetings that the HF cannot even bother to attend, just because he cares about his fellow fans and is keen to see Palace fans' voices heard and ensure that arrangements go as smoothly as possible.

He sticks up for Palace fans when sometimes he must wonder why he bothers and tries to defend the indefensible.

Just my view but I think he deserves a little bit of respect on this subject.

Bang on the money.

selhurst.cpfc
06-11-2017, 01:16 PM
Don’t really care about loud bangs or flares but every time I see the “HF” walking down the street before or after games I cringe. A group of angry skinny boys, from Surrey, dressed in black playing European Ultras. They claim to be anti modern football but idolise players like Yohan Cabaye who drain every penny out of the club.

Strange group...

whereEaglesFly
06-11-2017, 01:21 PM
Don’t really care about loud bangs or flares but every time I see the “HF” walking down the street before or after games I cringe. A group of angry skinny boys, from Surrey, dressed in black playing European Ultras. They claim to be anti modern football but idolise players like Yohan Cabaye who drain every penny out of the club.

Strange group...

What an odd statement that part really is

IanH
06-11-2017, 01:29 PM
I can only guess that the plan was to let it off during the general melee when we score.

I wonder if they have taken it to every away league game so far this season but were getting worried that the banger was getting close its use before date!

Thefunkymonk
06-11-2017, 01:35 PM
Can I ask... why is setting a banger off support.. or even atmosphere?

Bellends springs to mind. Sing jump dance whatever.. setting bangers off.. what’s the ******* point?

Braintree Eagle
06-11-2017, 01:41 PM
Old Bill?

You really are showing yourself up here.

I'm sure Chris doesn't need me or anyone else to speak up for him, he doesn't even know who I am. But I respect the man from back in the days of the special trains back in the 80's.

as SB said earlier, you probably weren't even born.....

edit: I see DE has said above what I wanted to say (and said it much better too)

FourtyTwo
06-11-2017, 01:41 PM
Can I ask... why is setting a banger off support.. or even atmosphere?

Bellends springs to mind. Sing jump dance whatever.. setting bangers off.. what’s the ******* point?

You'll never get an answer to that question, and instead get people showing how good smokes / flares are, and the lengths other clubs go to where it's allowed / commonplace. It's been the same in every thread where it gets brought up - the reason there is no answer, I am guessing, is because there isn't an answer.

They add nothing to the atmosphere, and as has been said before, can indeed have a negative impact.

And yet you'll still get people defending those that let it off.

eagle mart
06-11-2017, 01:55 PM
Old Bill?

No offence, but I think CJ Plum, has probably been caught up in and seen lots worse at football matches over the years, than you wish to be involved in – or think you are experiencing. Can that earn your respect? Maybe he could share a few stories with you? None of this hiding behind a police escort, dropping a banger, and posting a picture online with your face blurred out – but that pays the HF a disservice. I think Silent Assassin is better to defend anything the HF do or have done, rather than your need to.

Regard to bangers and stuff – not fussed too much. Had one go off in front of me at Anfield the other year two feet away – dropped by a Glaswegian (Rangers fan) who was obviously in with mates – then the purple smoke! I have no problems with it really – and surprised the threads get like they do. ‘Ooh there was a bang’ And may be surprised at the negativity of it but then everybody is different - and that’s internet/social media for you.t. C J Plum is right in his post, because it’s ‘illegal’ – but to me so is being drunk in a stadium, etc. And these viewpoints should be expected – as he has to face the police as representative, like the club employees do. But the old ‘terrorism’ excuse is pretty weak. Until that time if it happens, people will use it as a stick to suppress - it's jus used for an agenda. Surprised they haven’t cancelled November 5th with that line of thinking. The authorities of football and law with regards to football want a completely sanitised experience – all about the brand and money. They’d be happy with polite applause if they could, as long as the money comes flooding in – big crowds paying for expensive seats, Corporate boxes, with great TV deals, top players coming here and earn them billions worldwide in the process. And unfortunately the problem with that is the supporters – so they will always be clamped down on – they are trying to enforce a culture. And what happens to enforced culture? Football supporters continue to be treated like second class citizens, if the sport is to continue to for generations, terrace culture, passion – within reason, needs to thrive and evolve. Who was it playing at Wembley the other year? Foreign club or country set-off about 15 flares, stewards all about – watching and didn’t do a thing. It made the online media like some sort of fabulous display -almost revered. Same every year, with the CL games – away fans in UK stadia, lighting flares all over the place. Leicester & Old Trafford recently. The narrative if it was a British supporter – ohhhhwww dangerous, hazardous, naughty etc. Probably custodial sentence. It’s the same authorities/media people who use the fans, displays, passionate, derbies, grudge matches to sell their brand in the first place. All about narrative. And football fans are used – and abused when suited.

I don’t want anybody selectively quoting me to try and belittle me for having this view – it’s just a view. That is all. I completely see everybody’s else’s point – even if it is circumstantial to their own matchday experience and expectations. And others who just like a moan. You should expect resistance to ‘modern football’, and it should be (if mildly) encouraged – this is a by-product of it. As is standing, Drinking, kick-off times, Ticket prices, marketing, etc. I’m also totally against people imposing their own expectation of a match day experience on anybody else – it should just be.

P.S I thought WE was his son. (BWTFDIK)

Yoda
06-11-2017, 02:06 PM
I wonder if they have taken it to every away league game so far this season but were getting worried that the banger was getting close its use before date!

You know what, you’re probably right!

That same cannister has been smuggled into Burnley, Anfield, Newcastle and Wembley....so maybe they did think oh stuff this, let’s just set it off here whilst we’re on a big stage on the telly.

Or maybe it reached its use by date and set itself off, like a self-distructing message on Mission Impossible.

Big Fella
06-11-2017, 02:11 PM
All I know is the banger ruined the atmosphere, as it went completely flat after. Police and Fire Brigade turned up as well. Plenty of pickles out yesterday so I guess they had a good day out.

Sick Bucket
06-11-2017, 02:14 PM

Hahaha yeah right no chance! our lot won't fancy that one bit... mysteriously go missing.

I don't really care what they do but I do care about a small explosive going off, I'm planning on taking my 88 year old Dad and my 10 year old daughter to SP soon, if one of thoe ******* things goes off it will scare the crap out of them, I don't think it's ridiculous to suggest it could potentially give Dad a heart attack and possibly put my daughter off going again.

Thefunkymonk
06-11-2017, 02:17 PM
You'll never get an answer to that question, and instead get people showing how good smokes / flares are, and the lengths other clubs go to where it's allowed / commonplace. It's been the same in every thread where it gets brought up - the reason there is no answer, I am guessing, is because there isn't an answer.

They add nothing to the atmosphere, and as has been said before, can indeed have a negative impact.

You are probably right.. I kind of dont expect a real answer from anyone setting them off

Yoda
06-11-2017, 02:19 PM

I think there are some who vehemently defend against any criticism of HF-related activity.

They will probably hold that opinion until one day something directly impacts on them in a negative way.

Most people on this thread have been v specific about what they’re unhappy about and it hasn’t been the HF in general (which I think would be unreasonable). But some won’t see it that way.

IanH
06-11-2017, 02:24 PM
You know what, you’re probably right!

That same cannister has been smuggled into Burnley, Anfield, Newcastle and Wembley....so maybe they did think oh stuff this, let’s just set it off here whilst we’re on a big stage on the telly.

Or maybe it reached its use by date and set itself off, like a self-distructing message on Mission Impossible.

And Man City and Man U. First away goals will be at Brighton [emoji106]

TwoFace1905
06-11-2017, 02:29 PM
8 pages for a banger, so many wet wipes. Bring back Rambo.

Hope we make Europe one day.

Yoda
06-11-2017, 02:32 PM
And Man City and Man U. First away goals will be at Brighton [emoji106]

Sounds like they’ll need to get through passport control and body scanners first to attend that one.

petertaylor11
06-11-2017, 02:39 PM
Bangers and flares are quite different in today's climate.
Give it a rest boys. Our club doesn't need the attention or aggro.

pauldrulez
06-11-2017, 03:02 PM

As an aside, I was far too harsh this morning. Bellend was unnecessary, so I apologise for that.

eagles #1
06-11-2017, 03:04 PM
No offence, but I think CJ Plum, has probably been caught up in and seen lots worse at football matches over the years, than you wish to be involved in – or think you are experiencing. Can that earn your respect? Maybe he could share a few stories with you? None of this hiding behind a police escort, dropping a banger, and posting a picture online with your face blurred out – but that pays the HF a disservice. I think Silent Assassin is better to defend anything the HF do or have done, rather than your need to.

Regard to bangers and stuff – not fussed too much. Had one go off in front of me at Anfield the other year two feet away – dropped by a Glaswegian (Rangers fan) who was obviously in with mates – then the purple smoke! I have no problems with it really – and surprised the threads get like they do. ‘Ooh there was a bang’ And may be surprised at the negativity of it but then everybody is different - and that’s internet/social media for you.t. C J Plum is right in his post, because it’s ‘illegal’ – but to me so is being drunk in a stadium, etc. And these viewpoints should be expected – as he has to face the police as representative, like the club employees do. But the old ‘terrorism’ excuse is pretty weak. Until that time if it happens, people will use it as a stick to suppress - it's jus used for an agenda. Surprised they haven’t cancelled November 5th with that line of thinking. The authorities of football and law with regards to football want a completely sanitised experience – all about the brand and money. They’d be happy with polite applause if they could, as long as the money comes flooding in – big crowds paying for expensive seats, Corporate boxes, with great TV deals, top players coming here and earn them billions worldwide in the process. And unfortunately the problem with that is the supporters – so they will always be clamped down on – they are trying to enforce a culture. And what happens to enforced culture? Football supporters continue to be treated like second class citizens, if the sport is to continue to for generations, terrace culture, passion – within reason, needs to thrive and evolve. Who was it playing at Wembley the other year? Foreign club or country set-off about 15 flares, stewards all about – watching and didn’t do a thing. It made the online media like some sort of fabulous display -almost revered. Same every year, with the CL games – away fans in UK stadia, lighting flares all over the place. Leicester & Old Trafford recently. The narrative if it was a British supporter – ohhhhwww dangerous, hazardous, naughty etc. Probably custodial sentence. It’s the same authorities/media people who use the fans, displays, passionate, derbies, grudge matches to sell their brand in the first place. All about narrative. And football fans are used – and abused when suited.

I don’t want anybody selectively quoting me to try and belittle me for having this view – it’s just a view. That is all. I completely see everybody’s else’s point – even if it is circumstantial to their own matchday experience and expectations. And others who just like a moan. You should expect resistance to ‘modern football’, and it should be (if mildly) encouraged – this is a by-product of it. As is standing, Drinking, kick-off times, Ticket prices, marketing, etc. I’m also totally against people imposing their own expectation of a match day experience on anybody else – it should just be.

P.S I thought WE was his son. (BWTFDIK)

I couldn’t be bothered to read all that but thanks for the response.

It was a genuine question. I have no idea who CJ PLUM is and always thought he posted as a Police Officer.

pauldrulez
06-11-2017, 03:06 PM

pauldrulez
06-11-2017, 03:10 PM
Not all pyro seems to come from the HF. Back in the good old days of 2012/13, there was an entire firework factory used away at Charlton, and again at Watford.

Charlton away, one of these bangers was lit and lobbed back a few rows where it went off near my foot. This was someone who was in with the HF, but I've no idea if he was part of them or along for the ride but it added to the atmosphere all the same!

Watford, the HF had their smokebombs etc on one side, but there were loud bangers being let off a block away from them. Was this the same day that somebody got hit on the head with a seat?!

All in all, it's illegal but shouldn't be. Ends the conversation really.

bodger
06-11-2017, 03:26 PM
It was very loud there was a flash as well and ive never seen that before i hope it was not thrown into the air as that would be very dangerous the smoke is less of a problem. Best not to take these bangers into the ground its only a matter of time before it goes wrong and some poor sod ends up hurt.

CPFC.1990
06-11-2017, 05:05 PM
Hahaha yeah right no chance! our lot won't fancy that one bit... mysteriously go missing.

Always makes me laugh when these so called hard men proclaim on here what heroes they are and they are scared of nothing.....

I've seen these so called heroes leave a Palace fan to get his head kicked in by a group of Millwall fans literally outside the top of Holmesdale Road.

I've seen them run away after confronting a group of Sunderland fans in the front row only for the 'big guys' at the back of the stand to come down and scare them away.

I never saw these so called hard men make a peep at the Millennium Stadium against West Ham.

They don't turn up against Millwall, Wolves, Leeds, Cardiff or Birmingham.

I genuinely believe some of these guys live in some kind of Danny Dyer/football factory fantasy that simply doesn't exist.

I'm not talking about the kids taking bangers in, i'm talking about these Danny Dyer wannabees who pipe up on threads like these making out they are hard nuts...

Sick Bucket
06-11-2017, 05:22 PM
8 pages for a banger, so many wet wipes. Bring back Rambo.

Hope we make Europe one day.

See post above.

justjuice
06-11-2017, 06:46 PM
If pyros are illegal, isn't any follow on discussion pointless?

Oli28
06-11-2017, 07:20 PM
If pyros are illegal, isn't any follow on discussion pointless?
Plenty of things are illegal but still worthy of discussion

Thefunkymonk
06-11-2017, 07:35 PM

That’s fair.... but Still nobody has answered me what letting a banger off brings to the atmosphere etc?

Nth Kent Eagle
06-11-2017, 07:36 PM

I don't really care what they do but I do care about a small explosive going off, I'm planning on taking my 88 year old Dad and my 10 year old daughter to SP soon, if one of thoe ******* things goes off it will scare the crap out of them, I don't think it's ridiculous to suggest it could potentially give Dad a heart attack and possibly put my daughter off going again.

There are plenty of more serene areas of Palace such as the Old/Main Stand. You'll be able to enjoy the match without too many noise problems there. (Okay, enjoy is not perhaps the best word this season other against Chelsea). In fact, your dad and daughter may be told off by the other fans for being too exuberant.

pauldrulez
06-11-2017, 07:52 PM
After having watched it back on the video, and then comparing it to this:

s_I4TJUAWGU

Fair play, that banger sounds ******* loud on the 90 minute replay. Not the brainiest idea in the current climate. To me, a smokebomb is fine, a little bit of smoke isn't harming anybody, though of course, that is also illegal!

Oli28
06-11-2017, 08:04 PM
That’s fair.... but Still nobody has answered me what letting a banger off brings to the atmosphere etc?
Don't know, I'm not bothered either way but can see why others dislike it. I think it adds something if accompanying smoke but on it's own it's pretty pointless

Thefunkymonk
06-11-2017, 08:15 PM
Don't know, I'm not bothered either way but can see why others dislike it. I think it adds something if accompanying smoke but on it's own it's pretty pointless

My thoughts

horsham palace
06-11-2017, 08:59 PM
It would have been interesting to rewind the clock and see what would happen if we had the HF around the time we played in the Intertoto in Turkey. The fans on the official trip were told not to clap in the main stand on the off chance we got a goal (not such luck as we took our reserves). I would suspect it would have been a police escort from arriving in Turkey to departing.

justjuice
06-11-2017, 09:31 PM

That's true. But here I meant what is the point debating Fors and Againsts if they are illegal? Its a bit academic. If the majority agree that they are good, so what? They are still not allowed.

If the majority think they are bad, whoever is letting them off doesn't give a f***. They are happy to break the law - so they are hardly going listen to anyone's opinion that doesn't like them.

Ooh Betty
06-11-2017, 09:37 PM
It would have been interesting to rewind the clock and see what would happen if we had the HF around the time we played in the Intertoto in Turkey. The fans on the official trip were told not to clap in the main stand on the off chance we got a goal (not such luck as we took our reserves). I would suspect it would have been a police escort from arriving in Turkey to departing.

There wasn't an 'official trip' to that game.

Dorking .Eagle
06-11-2017, 09:56 PM
There wasn't an 'official trip' to that game.

Yes there was, I was on it, one of 12 Palace fans (another was Simon Jordans dad Peter, 2 years before Simon bought Palace) on the same plane , coaches etc as the team and management and stayed in the same hotel etc. Sat next to Steve Coppell on the minibus from hotel to ground for the match, and from match to airport :) Lots of very funny things happened on that trip!

We did get out my Palace St Georges flag for a photo in the ground, but very quickly were told to put it away lol.

http://www.myimagehosting.com/10429DiTSJ-144161.pic

Malarkey
06-11-2017, 10:04 PM
After having watched it back on the video, and then comparing it to this:

s_I4TJUAWGU

Fair play, that banger sounds ******* loud on the 90 minute replay. Not the brainiest idea in the current climate. To me, a smokebomb is fine, a little bit of smoke isn't harming anybody, though of course, that is also illegal!

Thought of this too :(

A Wooden Fish On Wheels
06-11-2017, 10:04 PM
Did you get your bangers out?

eagles #1
06-11-2017, 10:23 PM
Yes there was, I was on it, one of 12 Palace fans (another was Simon Jordans dad Peter, 2 years before Simon bought Palace) on the same plane , coaches etc as the team and management and stayed in the same hotel etc. Sat next to Steve Coppell on the minibus from hotel to ground for the match, and from match to airport :) Lots of very funny things happened on that trip!

We did get out my Palace St Georges flag for a photo in the ground, but very quickly were told to put it away lol.

Did someone fart and you all fell over in hysterics? Did Peter tell his best 'knock knock' joke?

Go on, tell us more!

Dorking .Eagle
06-11-2017, 10:42 PM
Did someone fart and you all fell over in hysterics? Did Peter tell his best 'knock knock' joke?

Go on, tell us more!

Terry Venables fell asleep in his room on the first evening there, so missed the formal 'welcome dinner' laid on by the host team (Coppell had to go on his own). Venables did manage to make it to the bar later that night though.

David Tuttle was the team joker, somehow he got given the job of looking after the players passports, and Clinton Morrison's must have been many years old, because the photo of him was aged about 10, and he showed it to everyone to wind up Clinton!

Everyone was very wary of having ice in our drinks as the water over there wasn't to be trusted, even so the kit man Vic Betinelli got the trots and slept pretty much all of the day of the game.

The players had a bedtime curfew, but Clinton was full of energy all evening and kept trying to sneak into the hotel bar!

In the afternoon before the game the fans had some time to kill so we went into town to have a look around and found a couple of other groups of Palace fans who had made it out there via different means. After some drinks, Grim Reaper (Cris) from One More Point fanzine and I went on a mission to find a sports shop selling Samsunspor shirts, which we eventually managed. Unfortunately after this, it turned out his hire car had been towed away by the police. Cue lots of running around panicking as to what to do. When the police had eventually been found, and communication was achieved and the car released, Cris managed to blag a blue light police escort all the way to the ground through all the traffic!

The club trip fans were taken to the ground in our own minibus, with Steve Coppell telling us stories of his trips abroad when playing for England, and when we got to the ground we pulled up to the directors entrance and had to leg it inside whilst crowds of locals surrounded us. Somehow Cris managed to blag his way into our part of the stand, which the clubs official Turkish translator wasn't to impressed with, and he then got chucked out and had to sit in the home end with the local Turkish fans!

http://www.myimagehosting.com/10429DiTSJ-144162.pic

Ooh Betty
07-11-2017, 12:02 AM

I stand corrected. Great picture.

Anyway we certainly never took it seriously. Seem to remember only a couple of turnstiles open at the home leg. It was pretty obvious to anyone except the club that we would get a decent crowd. 14k turned up i believe.

horsham palace
07-11-2017, 07:06 AM
If I remember correctly, the cost of the Turkish trip was around £800 which was not a small sum of money in those days (or these days!). Imagine the Parish points you get for that.

IanH
07-11-2017, 07:10 AM
That's true. But here I meant what is the point debating Fors and Againsts if they are illegal? Its a bit academic. If the majority agree that they are good, so what? They are still not allowed.

If the majority think they are bad, whoever is letting them off doesn't give a f***. They are happy to break the law - so they are hardly going listen to anyone's opinion that doesn't like them.

This. I don’t think many fans think that bangers add anything to the atmosphere but most are completely indifferent to the whole incident. Letting bangers off is, as you say, illegal, a ban will follow if the perpetrator is identified and the police try to sniff them out on entry. So not much point to this thread really. I’m surprised that no one on here has complained that it woke them up!

That said, how many threads are there about us not having a striker. Nothing that we can do about that either until January. I think people generally just like to have a moan. Hopefully, a couple of wins will lighten the mood on here.

FourtyTwo
07-11-2017, 07:14 AM
If I remember correctly, the cost of the Turkish trip was around £800 which was not a small sum of money in those days (or these days!). Imagine the Parish points you get for that.

Probably less than a gnome!

philsick
07-11-2017, 08:44 AM
The pyro on sunday was a non event, how have you stretched 10 pages out of it??

Heath eagle
07-11-2017, 10:05 AM
Vids doing the rounds of palace taking to yids at the blue cheek bar

Dorking .Eagle
07-11-2017, 10:23 AM

The first rule of Fight Club is: You do not talk about Fight Club

Back to Turkey.....

Yes, it was a heck of a lot of money, about £800, however to put it into context, the world was quite a different place in 1998!

Very few people had the internet, the few people who did have it mostly only had it through working in good office jobs, and it was very slow and quite basic. There was almost no e-commerce. There was no BBS, Palace news online was mainly through a daily roundup newsletter produced by Ray Bateup.

For those not lucky enough to be online back then, the main sources of up to date Palace news were the match programme (not a lot of use in the Summer when there were no home games!) snippets on Teletext, the invaluable Croydon Advertiser every Friday morning which was a mine of information, and if you were desperate for something important, you could ring Palace Clubcall, which was basically a very expensive premium rate recorded message, changed each day.

Palace being in a European competition was still of quite some interest to a lot of Palace fans. We had been robbed of our place in 1991, due to the early reintroduction of Liverpool ahead of their supposed additional 3 year ban.

Further to this, Palace fans had had a small taste of it via a pre-season competition in Italy in 1990 (Eagle Eye fanzine ran a coach), a friendly game in Athens in 1991 (‘Palace Travel’, the nearby travel agents did an expensive package), a tournament in Gijon, and then South Africa a year later (which most could not afford).

I promised myself, as probably many Palace fans have, that when Palace were next in Europe, I would go, but for the next few years, pre-season was the likes of Crawley and Bournemouth away. When I heard we were the only team to put our names forward for the place in the Intertoto Cup in 1998, I decided I’dd definitely go, and a couple of weeks at the 1998 France World Cup only served to whet my appetite for going abroad for footy.

The Intertoto Cup was basically the ‘feeder’ competition for the lowest ranked teams in easch UEFA country and England took one place, which we got as nobody else wanted it, even though we finished bottom of the Premier League!

What was handy is that the competition was largely pre-drawn, so we knew we would enter in Round 3, and would play the winners from R2 of either Samsunspor of Turkey, or Lyngby from Copenhagen in Denmark. It was also pretty fast paced, the ties came around VERY quickly, as they had lots of 2 legged rounds to get through before the UEFA Cup started.

At Palaces pre season friendlies, the talk amongst fans was that we all wanted Lyngby, and if we got them, we’d take hundreds, if not maybe a thousand fans. Eagle Eye had successfully ran a coach to Italy before, and groups could easily do similar. No-one fancied Turkey as Samsun was in the arse end of nowhere, and Turkish fans had a bit of a reputation – Man United had experienced ‘Welcome to Hell’ at Galatasaray in 1993, which had become infamous about how their fans were treated out there.

Sure enough we got the Turkish team, and just 2 weeks before the away leg! The home game tickets sold very slowly, it was summer and the game was on a Sunday, so the club just thought not much interest, open the Lower Tier and the Main Stand only, and put the Turkish fans in the Whitehorse.

A week after we knew who we were getting, the Croydon Advertiser mentioned in one line that the club was doing a trip. So I phoned up, and was put through to the Marketing Dept. Basically they were selling the spare spaces on the small plane which the club had chartered, and you got to do all the travel with the team and management. The price was a hell of a lot, but I went for it, as I had promised myself that I would go if we ever got into Europe, and all the travel arrangements were sorted, didn’t have to work out hotels, flights, transfers etc. Our hotel was the best in town thank goodness, as it was a very poor place, and rough as a badgers arse out there.

As I said Samsun was in the middle of nowhere. Apart from our charter flight, the airport never had anything other than internal flights go there, there were no direct flights from the UK to Samsun. More adventurous fans did do their own thing, flying to either Ankara or Istanbul, then either a really coach journey from Istanbul, or a hire car for the ‘One More Point’ group of 4, and a minibus from the airport for the remainder who had got togher through Ray Bateups new fangled internet newsletter

Even booking the flights, pre-internet was a challenge, it wasn’t a package holiday through Thomson, you had to go to an independdent travel agent and take whatever they could find for you.

Consequently very few Palace fans, maybe about 30, made it there. Maybe the rest were hoping to go to the next round (we knew before the tie that the winners would get Werder Bremen, which would have been a lot more civilised) but sadly the next round never happened as we lost 0-4 on aggregate over the 2 legs.

Still a great memory and very proud to say I was there.

As you say, at the home leg, thousands decided to pay on the day, and they had to delay kick off! An expected crowd of 3000 became well over 10k, probably more!

Bubble Wrap
07-11-2017, 10:31 AM
Blue Check Bar, but yes, it's easily found on twitter :(

Back to Turkey.....

Yes, it was a heck of a lot of money, about £800, however to put it into context, the world was quite a different place in 1998!

Very few people had the internet, the few people who did have it mostly only had it through working in good office jobs, and it was very slow and quite basic. There was almost no e-commerce. There was no BBS, Palace news online was mainly through a daily roundup newsletter produced by Ray Bateup.

For those not lucky enough to be online back then, the main sources of up to date Palace news were the match programme (not a lot of use in the Summer when there were no home games!) snippets on Teletext, the invaluable Croydon Advertiser every Friday morning which was a mine of information, and if you were desperate for something important, you could ring Palace Clubcall, which was basically a very expensive premium rate recorded message, changed each day.

Palace being in a European competition was still of quite some interest to a lot of Palace fans. We had been robbed of our place in 1991, due to the early reintroduction of Liverpool ahead of their supposed additional 3 year ban.

Further to this, Palace fans had had a small taste of it via a pre-season competition in Italy in 1990 (Eagle Eye fanzine ran a coach), a friendly game in Athens in 1991 (‘Palace Travel’, the nearby travel agents did an expensive package), a tournament in Gijon, and then South Africa a year later (which most could not afford).

I promised myself, as probably many Palace fans have, that when Palace were next in Europe, I would go, but for the next few years, pre-season was the likes of Crawley and Bournemouth away. When I heard we were the only team to put our names forward for the place in the Intertoto Cup in 1998, I decided I’dd definitely go, and a couple of weeks at the 1998 France World Cup only served to whet my appetite for going abroad for footy.

The Intertoto Cup was basically the ‘feeder’ competition for the lowest ranked teams in easch UEFA country and England took one place, which we got as nobody else wanted it, even though we finished bottom of the Premier League!

What was handy is that the competition was largely pre-drawn, so we knew we would enter in Round 3, and would play the winners from R2 of either Samsunspor of Turkey, or Lyngby from Copenhagen in Denmark. It was also pretty fast paced, the ties came around VERY quickly, as they had lots of 2 legged rounds to get through before the UEFA Cup started.

At Palaces pre season friendlies, the talk amongst fans was that we all wanted Lyngby, and if we got them, we’d take hundreds, if not maybe a thousand fans. Eagle Eye had successfully ran a coach to Italy before, and groups could easily do similar. No-one fancied Turkey as Samsun was in the arse end of nowhere, and Turkish fans had a bit of a reputation – Man United had experienced ‘Welcome to Hell’ at Galatasaray in 1993, which had become infamous about how their fans were treated out there.

Sure enough we got the Turkish team, and just 2 weeks before the away leg! The home game tickets sold very slowly, it was summer and the game was on a Sunday, so the club just thought not much interest, open the Lower Tier and the Main Stand only, and put the Turkish fans in the Whitehorse.

A week after we knew who we were getting, the Croydon Advertiser mentioned in one line that the club was doing a trip. So I phoned up, and was put through to the Marketing Dept. Basically they were selling the spare spaces on the small plane which the club had chartered, and you got to do all the travel with the team and management. The price was a hell of a lot, but I went for it, as I had promised myself that I would go if we ever got into Europe, and all the travel arrangements were sorted, didn’t have to work out hotels, flights, transfers etc. Our hotel was the best in town thank goodness, as it was a very poor place, and rough as a badgers arse out there.

As I said Samsun was in the middle of nowhere. Apart from our charter flight, the airport never had anything other than internal flights go there, there were no direct flights from the UK to Samsun. More adventurous fans did do their own thing, flying to either Ankara or Istanbul, then either a really coach journey from Istanbul, or a hire car for the ‘One More Point’ group of 4, and a minibus from the airport for the remainder who had got togher through Ray Bateups new fangled internet newsletter

Even booking the flights, pre-internet was a challenge, it wasn’t a package holiday through Thomson, you had to go to an independdent travel agent and take whatever they could find for you.

Consequently very few Palace fans, maybe about 30, made it there. Maybe the rest were hoping to go to the next round (we knew before the tie that the winners would get Werder Bremen, which would have been a lot more civilised) but sadly the next round never happened as we lost 0-4 on aggregate over the 2 legs.

Still a great memory and very proud to say I was there.

As you say, at the home leg, thousands decided to pay on the day, and they had to delay kick off! An expected crowd of 3000 became well over 10k, probably more!

Wow how off track is this thread. Turned into a book launch at the end.

Dorking .Eagle
07-11-2017, 10:44 AM
It would have been interesting to rewind the clock and see what would happen if we had the HF around the time we played in the Intertoto in Turkey. .

Have you ever seen the film Midnight Express :D

Mad Raschic Ken
07-11-2017, 08:41 PM

They could invite their mates from Athens along now. That would go well.

BeaverWilly
08-11-2017, 02:37 AM

Whole thread about this incident on another palace forum which I wont name here.

StonePenge
08-11-2017, 02:48 AM

Just answer the question.

“What’s missing from this thread is 5 reasons explaining why letting off fireworks in an enclosed space will help CPFC. Or why it is a good idea at all. The floor is yours....“

ForzaPalace
08-11-2017, 10:20 AM
Whole thread about this incident on another palace forum which I wont name here.

cpfcgrasses.net?

Yoda
08-11-2017, 10:29 AM
Wow how off track is this thread. Turned into a book launch at the end.

It was interesting though.

Selhurst Celtic
08-11-2017, 11:09 AM

I'll be honest and admit that 'the footage from inside the pub' clip did make me bray like a carthorse.

Chris K
08-11-2017, 11:28 AM

There is? I was in there after the game for a couple of ciders with a yid I know and didn't see anything

WLYWLYAWYPWF
08-11-2017, 11:47 AM
There is? I was in there after the game for a couple of ciders with a yid I know and didn't see anything

Seen the video and the childish voice message response from yids. Can't understand why it was kicking off in Bushey?

PauLo
08-11-2017, 11:51 AM

Do you call all your friends slurs based on their religion? Just wondering...

bhcp
08-11-2017, 11:56 AM

I was having a beer with mick the mick, sooty joe and the fat Turk.

Chris K
08-11-2017, 01:08 PM

Isn't it what Spurs fans call themselves? You know, as in the chant of "Come on you Yids" or "Yid Army"? Anyway, if you're after a debate on the matter enjoy but i've got a busy afternoon at work :hi:

ChiswickEagle
08-11-2017, 01:10 PM
The pyro on sunday was a non event, how have you stretched 10 pages out of it??

Presumably because people feel it was more than a non event. I was sat down the other end and it was loud enough. Had I been near it I would have been well hacked off.

Why was it thought necessary to let the banger off?

Worksop Palace
08-11-2017, 01:15 PM

Did you actually post that ?

Good grief man, get a grip

PauLo
08-11-2017, 02:16 PM
Did you actually post that ?

Good grief man, get a grip

Sorry my little snowflake :(

Bubble Wrap
08-11-2017, 02:27 PM

I think your being a snowflake. Yid a religious slur? No its not.
Another bellend being offended on behalf of people that really do not give a shit.

Worksop Palace
08-11-2017, 02:33 PM

Ha ha brilliant

That's a joy coming from the biggest snowflake on the BBS

PauLo
08-11-2017, 02:34 PM
Another bellend being offended on behalf of people that really do not give a shit.
The word Yid (/ˈjiːd/; Yiddish: ייִד‎) is a slang Jewish ethnonym of Yiddish origin. Its usage may be controversial in modern English language. It is not usually considered offensive when pronounced /ˈjiːd/ (rhyming with deed), the way Yiddish speakers say it, though some may deem the word offensive nonetheless. When pronounced /ˈjɪd/ (rhyming with did) by non-Jews, it is commonly intended as a pejorative term. It is used as a derogatory epithet by antisemites along with, and as an alternative to, the English word 'Jew'.[1]

PauLo
08-11-2017, 02:39 PM
Ha ha brilliant

That's a joy coming from the biggest snowflake on the BBS

I've always said the only thing i'm offended by is ignorance and the narrow minded. I guess that's why you get so wound up, because in you're mind, your narrow world view is the only way.

But like I said, you be you. Don't let us beta cuck snowflakes get to you.

CJ PLUM
08-11-2017, 02:40 PM
Exactly - smokes / flares etc I don't have an issue with (if you ignore the illegality) - especially if done in an isolated area where there is fair warning (i.e. Block B), but bangers just do not add anything to the atmosphere.

Yesterday was completely different in that it was (a) a banger, not a smoke bomb and (b) an away fixture where people can't necessarily control where they are sat.

One important point is that they do not do pyrotechnics at home games where they could be more clearly identified and they do not wish to be banned or lose their club priviliges.

Whilst some may think that smoke bombs and flares at least add some form of visual spectacle to games almost no one can see the point in these ‘thunderflash’ type bangers.
As well as being highly insensitive in the current terrorist climate, these can also have psychological effects, especially for young children, which can take a long time to overcome. The six year old daughter of the above poster at Bolton mentioned in an earlier post or Dorking Eagle’s young son, who first attended a Palace game as literally a babe in arms, are sad examples. Many of us first attended Palace games as only five or six year olds but future generations may be denied this option due to the inconsiderate actions of a few. They already have enough problems with the persistent standing at away games.
However all pyrotechnics are dangerous within the confines of a crowded football stadium. There have been several incidents of serious injury caused by their use in the past, even including the death of a Welsh fan in Cardiff at a World Cup game when a distress flare was aimed directly across the stadium.
Bengal flares, which are often used, burn at extremely high temperatures up 1600°C, risk serious injury, are difficult to extinguish and can easily cause fires. Smoke bombs give off toxic smoke and can cause respiratory problems and even an arrhythmia.
A teenager was taken to hospital with lung damage from a smoke bomb at an Aston Villa match. The 15-year-youngster affected was close to where one was set alight and immediately struggled to breathe and felt burning to his eyes. Chest x-rays revealed he was suffering the effect of smoke inhalation and had suffered damage to his lungs. Doctors were also concerned that he could have been affected by toxins in the flares.
The smoke bombs at Liverpool caused problems for fellow Palace fans who suffered from asthma as the dense smoke dwelt in the low roof space and they subsequently missed most of the game. Another incident at Selhurst was when a flare was thrown forward by a fan to avoid detection. The unextinguished flare landed in the hooded jacket of a fellow supporter and started to melt the synthetic material. Only quick reactions avoided serious injury.
2 Chelsea supporters were sent to prison for a month after being arrested for possessing smoke bombs at an away match against Swansea. They were banned from attending football games for six years. Chelsea has also barred them from Stamford Bridge for ten years each. 5 Palace fans were arrested as a consequence of the last season’s incidents at Chelsea.
All pyrotechnics at Football grounds even including sparklers fall within the scope of two laws. Under the Fireworks Regulation Act 2004 it is an offence for anyone under 18 to be in possession of fireworks in any public place including football grounds. Whilst those over 18 can be in possession they are not allowed to let off fireworks in a public space.
Under The Sporting Events (Control of Alcohol, etc.) Act 1985 it is an offence to be in possession inside or when attempting to enter a football ground and not just when igniting pyrotechnics. Both are treated equally seriously when sentencing and attempting to enter can include being in the general vicinity of the ground when also in possession of a match ticket. This means that you would not be breaking the law as you drove to a game but could be as you left the parked car near a ground.

Worksop Palace
08-11-2017, 02:46 PM
I've always said the only thing i'm offended by is ignorance and the narrow minded. I guess that's why you get so wound up, because in you're mind, your narrow world view is the only way.

But like I said, you be you. Don't let us beta cuck snowflakes get to you.

You actually are drunk aren't you ?

It's the only possible explanation

PauLo
08-11-2017, 02:58 PM
It's the only explanation if you're not smart enough to have a conversation, sure.

PauLo
08-11-2017, 02:59 PM
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/sep/17/david-cameron-yid-really-is-race-hate-word

Although as it's the guardian, i'm sure you wont read it.

Worksop Palace
08-11-2017, 03:02 PM
It's the only explanation if you're not smart enough to have a conversation, sure.

Er, you may want to check some of your own responses before throwing that one around

eagle mart
08-11-2017, 03:03 PM
I'm pretty sure being narrow minded means not being able to tolerate others views.

Paulo is going to pass his own sentence after repeatedly offending (in both senses) himself.

foresthillbilly
08-11-2017, 03:42 PM
If a firework is detonated within an enclosed group of fans, I am more tolerant.

A few years ago , at an away match, I had a lit firework kicked under my seat from a group of fans behind me. I don't know if it was intentional (I didn't take it personally), but the potential for human harm with bevvied fans doing that 5hlt is considerable.

Baffled Bob 2
08-11-2017, 03:46 PM

Of course it's a religious slur. I'm not offended on behalf of someone else. I find it offensive.

Nelson Muntz
08-11-2017, 03:50 PM
If a firework is detonated within an enclosed group of fans, I am more tolerant.

A few years ago , at an away match, I had a lit firework kicked under my seat from a group of fans behind me. I don't know if it was intentional (I didn't take it personally), but the potential for human harm with bevvied fans doing that 5hlt is considerable.

I caught one of your bollocks. The bloke three rows down caught the other one.

ebyeeckeagle
08-11-2017, 04:06 PM

I'm offended by you're post.

With regards to being a religious slur, while police have sensibly backed down on threats to Spurs fans, try shouting it out loud a few times and see the response. I suspect the CPS would deem it an offence from a non-Yiddish speaker or probably non-Jewish person.

foresthillbilly
08-11-2017, 04:30 PM
I'm offended by you're post.

With regards to being a religious slur, while police have sensibly backed down on threats to Spurs fans, try shouting it out loud a few times and see the response. I suspect the CPS would deem it an offence from a non-Yiddish speaker or probably non-Jewish person.

whilst your intensions are moralistic, the whole thing is bollox. Are there any
Yiddish speaker amongst Spurs fans, and who gives a fck anyway. ?

Optimistic Kev
08-11-2017, 05:29 PM
I know a number of non-Jewish Spurs fans who refer to themselves as ‘Yids’ and sing about the ‘Yid Army’ along with other songs that use the word.

Are they therefore ‘racist’ as they are saying the word but are actually not Jewish themselves?

eagles #1
08-11-2017, 05:34 PM
One important point is that they do not do pyrotechnics at home games where they could be more clearly identified and they do not wish to be banned or lose their club priviliges.

Whilst some may think that smoke bombs and flares at least add some form of visual spectacle to games almost no one can see the point in these ‘thunderflash’ type bangers.
As well as being highly insensitive in the current terrorist climate, these can also have psychological effects, especially for young children, which can take a long time to overcome. The six year old daughter of the above poster at Bolton mentioned in an earlier post or Dorking Eagle’s young son, who first attended a Palace game as literally a babe in arms, are sad examples. Many of us first attended Palace games as only five or six year olds but future generations may be denied this option due to the inconsiderate actions of a few. They already have enough problems with the persistent standing at away games.
However all pyrotechnics are dangerous within the confines of a crowded football stadium. There have been several incidents of serious injury caused by their use in the past, even including the death of a Welsh fan in Cardiff at a World Cup game when a distress flare was aimed directly across the stadium.
Bengal flares, which are often used, burn at extremely high temperatures up 1600°C, risk serious injury, are difficult to extinguish and can easily cause fires. Smoke bombs give off toxic smoke and can cause respiratory problems and even an arrhythmia.
A teenager was taken to hospital with lung damage from a smoke bomb at an Aston Villa match. The 15-year-youngster affected was close to where one was set alight and immediately struggled to breathe and felt burning to his eyes. Chest x-rays revealed he was suffering the effect of smoke inhalation and had suffered damage to his lungs. Doctors were also concerned that he could have been affected by toxins in the flares.
The smoke bombs at Liverpool caused problems for fellow Palace fans who suffered from asthma as the dense smoke dwelt in the low roof space and they subsequently missed most of the game. Another incident at Selhurst was when a flare was thrown forward by a fan to avoid detection. The unextinguished flare landed in the hooded jacket of a fellow supporter and started to melt the synthetic material. Only quick reactions avoided serious injury.
2 Chelsea supporters were sent to prison for a month after being arrested for possessing smoke bombs at an away match against Swansea. They were banned from attending football games for six years. Chelsea has also barred them from Stamford Bridge for ten years each. 5 Palace fans were arrested as a consequence of the last season’s incidents at Chelsea.
All pyrotechnics at Football grounds even including sparklers fall within the scope of two laws. Under the Fireworks Regulation Act 2004 it is an offence for anyone under 18 to be in possession of fireworks in any public place including football grounds. Whilst those over 18 can be in possession they are not allowed to let off fireworks in a public space.
Under The Sporting Events (Control of Alcohol, etc.) Act 1985 it is an offence to be in possession inside or when attempting to enter a football ground and not just when igniting pyrotechnics. Both are treated equally seriously when sentencing and attempting to enter can include being in the general vicinity of the ground when also in possession of a match ticket. This means that you would not be breaking the law as you drove to a game but could be as you left the parked car near a ground.

Can people understand why I think/thought our Plum Chum was Old Bill? :D

old git
08-11-2017, 05:42 PM
Can people understand why I think/thought our Plum Chum was Old Bill? :D

Very nice bloke actually:p He used to threaten to ban us from his special trains on a regular basis in the late 70's early 80's but always relented and sold us tickets the next game.:p

eagles #1
08-11-2017, 05:50 PM
Very nice bloke actually:p He used to threaten to ban us from his special trains on a regular basis in the late 70's early 80's but always relented and sold us tickets the next game.:p

So he is..?

917L
08-11-2017, 06:09 PM
So he is..?

A Palace fan?

eagles #1
08-11-2017, 06:19 PM
A Palace fan?

Gestapo.

Mad Raschic Ken
08-11-2017, 06:21 PM
Of course it's a religious slur. I'm not offended on behalf of someone else. I find it offensive.

I can see your point of view, but personally I don't think that it's a religious slur in this context. Words can have more than one meaning and language develops over many years. In my view the word when used in relation to a Jewish person would be a religious slur.

However, when used in relation to Tottenham fans it is simply a nickname for the club's fans used by them and opponents alike. Obviously I recognise that this nickname arose out of their Jewish heritage, but most people don't think of it in that way when referring to Tottenham fans.

I certainly know some Christian Tottenham fans who refer to themselves as 'yids'. That said, I don't use the term myself as I realise there's some ambiguity.

wrightchipvcfc
08-11-2017, 06:22 PM
His been to a few grounds following palace

Nth Kent Eagle
08-11-2017, 06:22 PM
Gestapo.

We had a travel club in the 70s which chartered special trains for the few hundred of us who went to northern away games in division 3. We were young and couldn't afford the full intercity fares. He was one of the guys who organised it. He was a good guy.

Archiebald Leitch
08-11-2017, 06:38 PM
With Maurice?

stamford triumph
08-11-2017, 07:21 PM
I know a number of non-Jewish Spurs fans who refer to themselves as ‘Yids’ and sing about the ‘Yid Army’ along with other songs that use the word.

Are they therefore ‘racist’ as they are saying the word but are actually not Jewish themselves?

Well, they're certainly not racist but they aren't antisemitic either because its a form of endearment rather than abuse. If you say someone is Black that's a statement of fact. If you say someone is a Black c***, you are using their colour as a means of abuse. Its really not that complicated.

CP-RJW
08-11-2017, 07:48 PM
Well, they're certainly not racist but they aren't antisemitic either because its a form of endearment rather than abuse. If you say someone is Black that's a statement of fact. If you say someone is a Black c***, you are using their colour as a means of abuse. Its really not that complicated.
How can you compare black to yid? One is a colour, the other is quite widely known as an anti semetic slur. If the two words were black and Jew then maybe your comparison would make sense. I’m a fence sitter on this whole Tottenham debate though, can see arguments for both sides.

Cleon
08-11-2017, 07:59 PM
We used to sing songs about poor little yiddos not partaking in the round system, northerners getting food from dustbins, east Anglians shagging their sisters, Brighton fans engaging in sodomy, Charlton fans being gypos and Welsh fans shagging sheep.

Were we all such terribly nasty people back then?

Salad_Burnet
08-11-2017, 08:19 PM
I don't find Yid offensive as such, just a bit cringe-worthy, especially when used by spurs fans that are related to you. Sort of half baffling, half cringy.

I find the term 'snowflake' on a fans forum much more offensive. It's the closest you can get to an on-line sneer in my opinion. It reminds me of those minor road rage incidents you see when one side kisses the air at the other. It's horrible.

SA Eagle
08-11-2017, 08:39 PM
People arguing about how the term 'Yid' is regarded may want to watch Monday night's Dispatches on catch up before bandying the term around too freely at matches.

bolabolabola
09-11-2017, 12:48 AM
I know C J Plum. You won’t find a more committed or generous Palace fan.

He’s right in everything he says here too.

Mad Raschic Ken
09-11-2017, 07:04 AM
We used to sing songs about poor little yiddos not partaking in the round system, northerners getting food from dustbins, east Anglians shagging their sisters, Brighton fans engaging in sodomy, Charlton fans being gypos and Welsh fans shagging sheep.

Were we all such terribly nasty people back then?

Aside from the first of these I wouldn't say they are exactly in the past. Unless the fact that our last games against Liverpool, Norwich, Brighton, Charlton and Swansea are technically in the past counts.

Joe.L
09-11-2017, 09:29 AM

I agree although I have never truly forgiven him for the mouldy cheese sandwich he sold me on a special train to Bradford once in the 80's.

Apologies for derailing this thread even further but what was the name of the other guy who used to run those special trains with Chris back then? I'm thinking it was Gildo but could have that wrong.

SJ'sLoveMonkey
09-11-2017, 09:30 AM
I agree although I have never truly forgiven him for the mouldy cheese sandwich he sold me on a special train to Bradford once in the 80's.

Apologies for derailing this thread even further but what was the name of the other guy who used to run those special trains with Chris back then? I'm thinking it was Gildo but could have that wrong.

It was Gildo

selhursthoover
09-11-2017, 11:46 AM

Seconded.

selhursthoover
09-11-2017, 11:47 AM

Ditto.

IanH
09-11-2017, 12:34 PM
We had a travel club in the 70s which chartered special trains for the few hundred of us who went to northern away games in division 3. We were young and couldn't afford the full intercity fares. He was one of the guys who organised it. He was a good guy.

I may be wrong but I think he might have also organised the coaches to Brighton one year in the late 70’s/early 80’s - our coach came back minus quite a few of its passengers and minus a few of its windows [emoji23]

Coastal Palace
09-11-2017, 12:35 PM

Same here.
Great supporter too. And his dear old mum.

old git
09-11-2017, 01:09 PM

Funnily enough I found these amongst some old Palace stuff I had when having a clear out.:)
I think the third one is Leeds away.

Hedgehog
09-11-2017, 01:18 PM
You had to be a member though:

http://www.cpfc.org/forums/showpost.php?p=3894425&postcount=4

Archiebald Leitch
09-11-2017, 01:56 PM
I have my 76/77 Rail Travellers Club card and it includes this:

Far East Eagle
09-11-2017, 04:53 PM

What if, because the West Ham area has a lot of people from the sub-continent they start calling themselves the 'Pa*i Army' and shout 'come on you pa*is' on the terraces. Would that also count as a 'form of endearment'? :jerkit:

orp pisshead1
09-11-2017, 05:10 PM

Aye we got threatened with a ban by the travel club a few times too :D. Last one was for disembarking the train near bramall lane as it was running late and we didn’t want to miss KO. Looked along carriages and loads were getting off :lux:. The travel lads and plod weren’t happy at all:D.

orp pisshead1
09-11-2017, 05:11 PM
Ditto.

No shit :eek:

:)

old git
09-11-2017, 05:14 PM
Aye we got threatened with a ban by the travel club a few times too :D. Last one was for disembarking the train near bramall lane as it was running late and we didn’t want to miss KO. Looked along carriages and loads were getting off :lux:. The travel lads and plod weren’t happy at all:D.

Ours was normally for engaging with various other supporters at stations on route or at the destination. ;)