PDA

View Full Version : Worst team in Premier League history?

ForzaPalace
05-11-2017, 07:11 PM
Whether you like it or not, we're on track to become the worst PL team ever. At this stage in 2007, even Derby had 6 points. Record breakers.

McpfcS
05-11-2017, 07:14 PM
Pointless thread - please delete.

All that matters is staying up - if we go down I don't care if it's with 40 or 0 points.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
05-11-2017, 07:17 PM
Pointless thread - please delete.

All that matters is staying up - if we go down I don't care if it's with 40 or 0 points.
It's not pointless, we have four of them.

But more seriously, who are you to decide someone else's thread should be deleted?

CP-RJW
05-11-2017, 07:18 PM
Whether you like it or not, we're on track to become the worst PL team ever. At this stage in 2007, even Derby had 6 points. Record breakers.
Would you bet on that happening?

McpfcS
05-11-2017, 07:20 PM
It's not pointless, we have four of them.

But more seriously, who are you to decide someone else's thread should be deleted?

I'm a pretty big deal [emoji6]

bigend1
05-11-2017, 07:20 PM
We were worse before pulis and finished 11th.

The last 5 games have arguably been our most consistent run of good performance since we've been up. Roy has them playing well and fighting with belief. We've failed to win all those games due to a lack of striker.

We have our top scoring premiership striker back, hopefully next game

We are far from the worst side this season and certainly not ever so stop taking such depressing bull shit

wrightchipvcfc
05-11-2017, 07:21 PM
Had some terrible performances but been unlucky in 3 or 4 could easily be on10 or 11 points had burnley Newcastle w ham and spurs had gone different people will say ifs and buts but anyone who see them games would know we deserved more out of them luck refs opposition keeper ect.

lee_cpfc
05-11-2017, 07:26 PM
"Unlucky"
We are bottom for a reason.
We are the worst team in the league and don't have any fit strikers due to you know who's incompetence
We won't survive this. Time to get ready for another long spell in the championship

Jim Cannon
05-11-2017, 07:29 PM

at this stage in 2013, we had 4 points too.

ANDYEAGLE
05-11-2017, 07:37 PM
We are not even the worse team in this seasons premier league,let alone the worst ever. Another total negative stupid thread.

Thefunkymonk
05-11-2017, 07:38 PM
We are not even the worse team in this seasons premier league,let alone the worst ever. Another total negative stupid thread.

Well we kinda are mate. League table donít lie

sylvan eagle
05-11-2017, 07:38 PM
What a load of rubbish

Palace Kebab
05-11-2017, 07:39 PM
Being bottom now does not get you relegated fortunately. Performances and indeed the fact we have picked up points in our most recent run of games suggest that we will not continue at our current average points per game. So, the thread appears intentionally negative and skewed. Why did you start it out of interest? Consciously stirring or sub- consciously crying for help in some way?

Mr Palace
05-11-2017, 07:39 PM

Not that I agree with this thread but we are clearly the worst team in the league this season. So far at least. On every measure. Points / goals scored / goals conceded. It's a fact sadly.

trufan
05-11-2017, 07:45 PM
"Unlucky"
We are the worst team in the league and don't have any fit strikers due to you know who's incompetence
We won't survive this. Time to get ready for another long spell in the championship

I'm fairly sure he's not solely to blame. But he is a Palace fan and will be feeling exactly what we're feeling right now. I expect him to put things right in spectacular fashion as soon as January arrives. The task of Roy and the boys is to make sure we're still in contention by then. Performances suggest we can do this. At the risk of sounding like a broken record, it's all about converting our chances. Mental strength, composure and cool-headed professionalism are essential from here on in.

sherstonpalace
05-11-2017, 07:45 PM
I fear we may go down - but we are categorically nowhere near the worst team ever in the PL. We've lost away to the teams that are 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 7th and 11th; four of those games were lost 1-0, and in three of them (Burnley, Newcastle and today) we clearly didn't deserve to lose.

Let's revisit this discussion after the Swansea match on Dec 23rd.

Chillo
05-11-2017, 07:47 PM

Well actually, you're not comparing like with like.

Until each team has played each other home and away, the table is skewed as there are better and worse teams to play. That only happens when you get to the end of the season.

Our games so far (and Everton's) show we have played a higher percentage of better (top six-type) teams; Everton's and our results show that.

Can you honestly say all teams have had an equally difficult set of fixtures?

Not really, which is why we look to see where we can pick up points (the next eight games) and where we are unlikely to (like the games towards the end of last season).

bigGcpfc
05-11-2017, 07:48 PM

Even just a passing glance at the table will show you we are the worst team this season and probably the worst team ever. It matters not how you think we have played in any game we have lost. By all means stay positive if not realistic.

exiledeagle
05-11-2017, 07:50 PM

Until each team has played each other home and away, the table is skewed as there are better and worse teams to play. That only happens when you get to the end of the season.

Our games so far (and Everton's) show we have played a higher percentage of better (top six-type) teams; Everton's and our results show that.

Not really, which is why we look to see where we can pick up points (the next eight games) and where we are unlikely to (like the games towards the end of last season).

But we have lost to Huddersfield Swansea Burnley Southampton Newcastle as well and drawn against West Ham

bigGcpfc
05-11-2017, 07:51 PM

What tosh mate. How many points have taken off the weaker teams ?

MFBias
05-11-2017, 07:55 PM
BOLLOX.

We were the better team today, I have faith we have a chance of staying up, every yesr there are these downbeat negative threads and although our time may finally come this year, we wont be the worst team.

You can see its almost clicking. Dont take your views from the highlights, Tottenham scored a scrappy goal and we had the best chances today. Im proud of the performance.

MFBias
05-11-2017, 07:56 PM

The table only doenst lie at the end of season, until then its a guide.

Zohar's Penalty
05-11-2017, 07:59 PM
Delete this shit.

wawman_15
05-11-2017, 08:03 PM
We will be above that points record by xmas

Jaserob
05-11-2017, 08:07 PM

Stupid thread.

Anyway, statistically, we have had 4 points from 11 games, or an average of 0.36363636 points per game. Extrapolate that over the 38 game season and we would end up on 13.8181818 points, well above Derby's total of 11, so we are above track for that total

ExiledStirling
05-11-2017, 08:13 PM
We will stay up. We are far better than our points haul so far indicates.

We have had one hand tied behind our back with no recognised striker for most of the games so far.

CPFC.1990
05-11-2017, 08:17 PM
No team will ever be worse than that Derby team.

west eagle
05-11-2017, 08:35 PM
Can't let this happen as it will let Robbie Savage off the hook for being the captain of the worst team in history.

Dorking .Eagle
05-11-2017, 09:04 PM
Can't let this happen as it will let Robbie Savage off the hook for being the captain of the worst team in history.

Exactly this. How he has the brass neck to do punditry after that epic fail is incredible :eek:

Danny_Cheviot
05-11-2017, 09:07 PM
Who cares?

Only thing that matters is where we are 13.05.2018.

ANDYEAGLE
05-11-2017, 10:01 PM

It is lying for me at the moment:) Last 4 games without a bloody striker we have been okay. I do not suffer from blind optimism,but I think we will be okay.

palacelad197o
05-11-2017, 10:09 PM
i think our next game will be the benchmark of where we really are

eaglejez
05-11-2017, 10:10 PM
we are playing some of the best football at the club for years.
That said I think we'll go down :(

rhiannapaul
05-11-2017, 10:20 PM
Hope not ...but gallantly losing 1 nil again dont help, poxy Brighton win 1 nil with a knee we need some goals

GorBlimey
06-11-2017, 12:57 AM
"Unlucky"

Really just f*ck off.

We're not even a third of the way in.

The way we played today shows we're going to be OK.

Hedgehog
06-11-2017, 01:15 AM
For what it's worth Phil Neville commented today that there were worse teams than us in the Premiership at this time.

He didn't say who, and seemed an odd thing to say, but there you go.

Daniel_Nash
06-11-2017, 02:08 AM
Buy a forward or two in January and you'll be fine.

Having a shit summer, De Boer not working out, losing Zaha and then Benteke to injury has left you in a 'false' position but the team is creating chances now and with someone capable of finishing them, you'll be able to pick up enough points to move up the table.

West Ham, Stoke at the moment, West Brom and Everton until yesterday are all conceding more than Palace.. and you play three of those four next.

hdeagle
06-11-2017, 03:46 AM
The weaker teams have not played hardly any of the top 10 teams and certainly have had far easier fixtures than Palace and Everton who have already played some of their most difficult games.

Palace in their first 11 games have already played 5 of last seasons top 6 sides with only one of those games being at home which we won.

I am quite sure that other smaller teams would have struggled if they had played as many top sides as Palace and Everton have in their opening 11 games of a 38 game season.

COYP

Ooh Betty
06-11-2017, 06:24 AM
i think our next game will be the benchmark of where we really are

We say this every bloody week.

Ooh Betty
06-11-2017, 06:26 AM
Really just f*ck off.

We're not even a third of the way in.

The way we played today shows we're going to be OK.

We lost again

H.Bomb
06-11-2017, 06:31 AM
We have been very unlucky in our recent games. I am convinced our fortunes will change soon.

palacelad197o
06-11-2017, 06:40 AM
To be fair we did deserve a point from the spurs game

IanH
06-11-2017, 06:46 AM
Thereís a lot of blind optimism on these boards. We are in deep deep trouble. If you listen to Hodgsonís post-match comments he seems to be much more aware of how bad our plight is than some of the fans are. He also seems to be getting rather angry about the deficiencies in the squad particularly from his comments about having to bring a left winger on to play centre forward. Hopefully, we will turn it around but the signs are not at all good. We havenít scored a goal in an away league game yet this season.

Mr Palace
06-11-2017, 06:57 AM

Seriously? We can't score. It's really not good at all. 4 goals in 11. We've been poor all season bar one and a half games.

bigGcpfc
06-11-2017, 06:58 AM
There is one thing being optimistic and another being plain daft. We are more than likely going down but after every close defeat some on here say keep playing like that and we will stay up. We do keep playing like that and we still keep losing.Losing has become a bad habit for us.

Mr Palace
06-11-2017, 07:02 AM
The weaker teams have not played hardly any of the top 10 teams and certainly have had far easier fixtures than Palace and Everton who have already played some of their most difficult games.

Palace in their first 11 games have already played 5 of last seasons top 6 sides with only one of those games being at home which we won.

I am quite sure that other smaller teams would have struggled if they had played as many top sides as Palace and Everton have in their opening 11 games of a 38 game season.

COYP

I doubt this is even true but you keep spouting it. Look at Burnley for example - they've beaten Chelsea away, got a draw away to Liverpool and Spurs, but lost to Man City away. It's a great return.

By your reckoning we should win most of our next 8 then. Hopefully we will do that - we won't have any excuses if we don't.

davemorris04
06-11-2017, 07:15 AM
We cannot score goals because we donít have any strikers. Even when Benteke is fit he has no competition. Itís a ludicrous position for a professional football club to be in and is costing us very dearly.

spt1978
06-11-2017, 07:18 AM
Fear we will get relegated with lots of bad luck stories to tell.

stumpy feelers
06-11-2017, 07:26 AM
Seriously? We can't score. It's really not good at all. 4 goals in 11. We've been poor all season bar one and a half games.

Agree with the can't score part..but we haven't been poor the last 4 games. Played bloody well but thanks to the ineptitude of our summer transfer activities like myself we're firing blanks.

Chris Finch
06-11-2017, 07:27 AM
Huddersfield and Swansea at home have been the only two truly awful results (points wise).

We really need a team to implode, at the moment we are rightfully one of the 3 worst teams in the league.

Thankfully the season doesn't end now

Mr Palace
06-11-2017, 07:30 AM
Agree with the can't score part..but we haven't been poor the last 4 games. Played bloody well but thanks to the ineptitude of our summer transfer activities like myself we're firing blanks.

We played well yesterday - unlucky not to get a point but we will always struggle when we can't score. We played very well against West Ham in the second half but the first half was among the worst of the season. We lost to a very average Newcastle team - Bournemouth's win against them says it all. And a great win against Chelsea.

Performances have definitely picked up which is encouraging but the fact is that we have only scored in two of our 11 games. That is an incredible stat.

ForzaPalace
06-11-2017, 07:34 AM

COYP

Oh **** off mate, we've lost to Everton, Huddersfield, Southampton, Newcastle, Burnley and Swansea already. Proper top sides them eh?

And for those still clutching on to the 'we've been unlucky and deserved a point' theory, you don't get anywhere in football for trying hard. You need to win and earn that win.

scro
06-11-2017, 07:39 AM
We are clearly a better side than derby were back then. Which makes the achievement of being behind their run rate at this stage even more unimpressive.

I think there is a case to be made for us being on one of the worst runs in premier league history. Mainly due to the fact that so much dosh has gone into achieving it.

Raggy
06-11-2017, 07:50 AM
Even just a passing glance at the table will show you we are the worst team this season and probably the worst team ever.

:D
The worst team ever.

You clearly never saw my primary school second XI.

danpalace07
06-11-2017, 08:04 AM

would be the most Palace relegation ever, so typical :D

newish eagle
06-11-2017, 08:04 AM
We played well yesterday - unlucky not to get a point but we will always struggle when we can't score. We played very well against West Ham in the second half but the first half was among the worst of the season. We lost to a very average Newcastle team - Bournemouth's win against them says it all. And a great win against Chelsea.

Performances have definitely picked up which is encouraging but the fact is that we have only scored in two of our 11 games. That is an incredible stat.
It is an incredible stat! All roads lead to the monumental cock up in having no striker when the window ‘slammed shut’! I know we all keep saying it, but it’s just tragically obvious.

If we aren’t too far adrift when the next window opens, you have to hope/pray/meditate/[other positive cognitive behaviour to be added] that the board are ready with the readies on day one of the window. We simply cannot wait until 31 January.

palacelad197o
06-11-2017, 08:08 AM
It is an incredible stat! All roads lead to the monumental cock up in having no striker when the window Ďslammed shutí! I know we all keep saying it, but itís just tragically obvious.

If we arenít too far adrift when the next window opens, you have to hope/pray/meditate/[other positive cognitive behaviour to be added] that the board are ready with the readies on day one of the window. We simply cannot wait until 31 January.Sky sources say we will get an extension untill 1st Feb at 23.59 when we can sign a out of contract free agent

newish eagle
06-11-2017, 08:09 AM
Sky sources say we will get an extension untill 1st Feb at 23.59 when we can sign a out of contract free agent
Ha! Nice one mate :)

Worksop Palace
06-11-2017, 08:14 AM
To be fair we did deserve a point from the spurs game

You don't deserve to get anything if you can't keep a clean sheet and can't score.

All this bollocks about luck is just that. Bollocks

Mr Palace
06-11-2017, 08:25 AM
It is an incredible stat! All roads lead to the monumental cock up in having no striker when the window Ďslammed shutí! I know we all keep saying it, but itís just tragically obvious.

If we arenít too far adrift when the next window opens, you have to hope/pray/meditate/[other positive cognitive behaviour to be added] that the board are ready with the readies on day one of the window. We simply cannot wait until 31 January.

Sadly so. The Board have to ensure as many players as possible sign on 1 Jan when the window opens. There won't be any excuses not to have a new striker at least in place, plus a keeper too. I'm sure they know this though.

sherstonpalace
06-11-2017, 08:31 AM
Oh **** off mate, we've lost to Everton, Huddersfield, Southampton, Newcastle, Burnley and Swansea already. Proper top sides them eh?

And for those still clutching on to the 'we've been unlucky and deserved a point' theory, you don't get anywhere in football for trying hard. You need to win and earn that win.

Lost to Everton? I must have missed that one.

IanH
06-11-2017, 08:37 AM
We are clearly a better side than derby were back then. Which makes the achievement of being behind their run rate at this stage even more unimpressive.

I think there is a case to be made for us being on one of the worst runs in premier league history. Mainly due to the fact that so much dosh has gone into achieving it.

Did Derby have any £30 million players or any player on over £100k a week (or their financial equivalents at the time)? In fact how many of the current bottom 10 in the Premier League have spent £30 million on a single player?

newish eagle
06-11-2017, 08:45 AM
The defeats are coming so fast, it’s hard to keep up mate ;)

ForzaPalace
06-11-2017, 08:52 AM

Come back in 2 weeks

Kylie_Tracey
06-11-2017, 09:00 AM
Did Derby have any £30 million players or any player on over £100k a week (or their financial equivalents at the time)? In fact how many of the current bottom 10 in the Premier League have spent £30 million on a single player?

some good points there although comparing todays transfer fees and salaries with the TV money and how the Chinese market has affected things is quite difficult, they did spend fairly substantial money on Earnshaw,Claude Davies,Tyrone Mears,Savage,Kenny Miller and a player called Emunual Villa(£2m) who I have no recollection of whatsoever, the sqaud did also have a lot of loanees in it as well, I doubt they were paying huge salaries though, Savage would have probably been one of the biggest earners.

Zohar's Penalty
06-11-2017, 09:54 AM
This is all pointless subjective conjecture.

Even if we have been “the worst side” in history, so what?? Over 11 games. Yes we’ve made it massively hard for ourselves and their have been some shameful cockups- but we are where we are.

And where are we?

Well, we have 29 games and 87 points still to play for. We have a 28 million quid centre forward about to come back, and our team is looking a lot better in recent weeks, and January is coming.

Lots to play for and no time to lick our wounds. We can do this but let’s get behind the team.

The time for finger pointing will come in May (or earlier) should we drop. Until then let’s man up and help the team try and dig it’s way out of it.

sherstonpalace
06-11-2017, 10:08 AM

Even if we have been ďthe worst sideĒ in history, so what?? Over 11 games. Yes weíve made it massively hard for ourselves and their have been some shameful cockups- but we are where we are.

And where are we?

Well, we have 29 games and 87 points still to play for. We have a 28 million quid centre forward about to come back, and our team is looking a lot better in recent weeks, and January is coming.

Lots to play for and no time to lick our wounds. We can do this but letís get behind the team.

The time for finger pointing will come in May (or earlier) should we drop. Until then letís man up and help the team try and dig itís way out of it.

Agree 100%.

scro
06-11-2017, 10:09 AM

well no and that was my point.

bigGcpfc
06-11-2017, 10:25 AM

Even if we have been ďthe worst sideĒ in history, so what?? Over 11 games. Yes weíve made it massively hard for ourselves and their have been some shameful cockups- but we are where we are.

And where are we?

Lots to play for and no time to lick our wounds. We can do this but letís get behind the team.

The time for finger pointing will come in May (or earlier) should we drop. Until then letís man up and help the team try and dig itís way out of it.

Some of us were born to moan and point fingers and Palace have given us plenty of ammo in the last 2 years. :(

eddieskyclad
06-11-2017, 10:42 AM
Teams are scoring every half chance they create against us and we're missing well-worked sitters. Sure you could argue that means we're not good enough but ultimately with just a bit of extra luck up we could be comfortably mid-table right now.

In fact according to the simulated expected goal league table from Nov 1st we'd be 10th. We'd have scored 10, conceded 14 and we'd be 10th with 12 points.

Happy Arthur
06-11-2017, 10:49 AM
We're not a bad side. Our slow start will/could cost us.

scro
06-11-2017, 10:50 AM
Teams are scoring every half chance they create against us and we're missing well-worked sitters. Sure you could argue that means we're not good enough but ultimately with just a bit of extra luck up we could be comfortably mid-table right now.

In fact according to the simulated expected goal league table from Nov 1st we'd be 10th. We'd have scored 10, conceded 14 and we'd be 10th with 12 points.

https://understat.com/league/EPL

The Zaha miss summed up the problem. Our attacking players simply are not clinical enough.

Also despite people going on about how everyone scores every chance against us and how unlucky we are... we are only 3 over the expected goals against stat and we are the worst in the league on that stat. So perhaps us getting relegated wouldn't be quite so remarkable a statistical anomaly.

JackTheBiscuit
06-11-2017, 11:13 AM

It isn't about luck - we have brought this upon ourselves. No keeper, no centre forward. Simple.

eddieskyclad
06-11-2017, 11:23 AM
https://understat.com/league/EPL

The Zaha miss summed up the problem. Our attacking players simply are not clinical enough.

Also despite people going on about how everyone scores every chance against us and how unlucky we are... we are only 3 over the expected goals against stat and we are the worst in the league on that stat. So perhaps us getting relegated wouldn't be quite so remarkable a statistical anomaly.I saw a league table slightly different to yours with fewer expected goals against but even by your table we are still 9 under the expected goals and 10 under the expected points so yes it really is a statistical anomaly.

Sure we're making mistakes and we are definitely suffering for not having a striker but it's disingenuous to suggest we're the worst team in premier league history. If we had just a bit more luck in front of goal we'd be comfortably mid-table right now.

scro
06-11-2017, 11:50 AM
I saw a league table slightly different to yours with fewer expected goals against but even by your table we are still 9 under the expected goals and 10 under the expected points so yes it really is a statistical anomaly.

Sure we're making mistakes and we are definitely suffering for not having a striker but it's disingenuous to suggest we're the worst team in premier league history. If we had just a bit more luck in front of goal we'd be comfortably mid-table right now.

I would suggest we are miles off being that. I just suggest we may be on the worst run in premier league history. When you take into account how poorly we compare to expectations.

aj4england
06-11-2017, 11:52 AM
Interesting to read that sunderland have won more prem league away games in 2017 than West Brom.

West Brom have Spurs and Chelsea up next and pressure is beginning to mount on Tony....

palacelad197o
06-11-2017, 01:00 PM
Interesting to read that sunderland have won more prem league away games in 2017 than West Brom.

West Brom have Spurs and Chelsea up next and pressure is beginning to mount on Tony....They do seem to be dropping fast

Eaglefoz
06-11-2017, 01:03 PM

West Brom have Spurs and Chelsea up next and pressure is beginning to mount on Tony....

West Brom fans were calling for his head at the weekend.

Trouble is, he would be happy to get out now as it would preserve his never been relegated crap because he would have left before hand.

Dorking .Eagle
06-11-2017, 01:35 PM
West Brom fans were calling for his head at the weekend.

Trouble is, he would be happy to get out now as it would preserve his never been relegated crap because he would have left before hand.

And someone like West Ham would pay a premium to get him in.

glaziers fan
06-11-2017, 01:44 PM

You're right. Maybe he will walk away if he can't engineer himself the sack? I gather his daughter is on the look out for another property, and a bonus is due! ;)

Thanet Eagle
06-11-2017, 01:58 PM

Never. Does not play the West Ham way.

Maiden Eagle
06-11-2017, 02:07 PM

COYP

Give it a rest ! Palace have taken ONE point from the other 6 games against what you call the 'smaller' Clubs. That is why we are in such desperate trouble. And for the record, I think the team played well, yesterday and were a bit unlucky to lose. I am confident we will not end up with an embarrassing points total but think we have given ourselves far too much to do to stay up, now. Hope I'm wrong of course.

Maiden Eagle
06-11-2017, 02:40 PM
On a slightly brighter note, at least we haven't the worst points total ATM, in Europe any more !!
Malaga have same record as us in Spain
Metz have 1 win and no draws from 12 games in Ligue 1
Cologne have 2 pts from 11 games in Germany
And in Italy, Benevuento P12 L 12 in Serie A !!:eek:

Benzhiyi
06-11-2017, 02:50 PM
You don't deserve to get anything if you can't keep a clean sheet and can't score.

All this bollocks about luck is just that. Bollocks

Yep.

No clean sheet all season.

No away league goal since April.

Four goals in total – and two of those were an own goal and a penalty.

We have had some moments of bad luck, sure, but one third of the season in the league table doesn't lie. And certainly not when you're five points adrift of the club in 19th place.

bigGcpfc
06-11-2017, 04:26 PM
Yep.

No clean sheet all season.

No away league goal since April.

Four goals in total Ė and two of them where an own goal and a penalty.

We have had some moments of bad luck, sure, but one third of the season in the league table doesn't lie. And certainly not when you're five points adrift of the club in 19th place.

When you see it in black and white like this it is quite embarrassing really. But apparently we are still not allowed to feel embarrassed by our situation.

Martinsleftpeg
06-11-2017, 04:32 PM

Luckily for us they now have David Moyes .....

Nigelbrag
06-11-2017, 05:33 PM
Its a bit harsh to say we are the worst team in the premiership as we are playing a lot better than our points return shows, also we saw on Sunday against an inform Spurs our luck has deserted us.
Our main problem stems from our lack of a striker coupled with woeful finishing beautifully illustrated by Wilf Zaha, hard to believe his miss of an open goal if you cant put those away then you will get punished.
I really do believe if that had gone in we would have won as Spurs were struggling for any fluency and looked totally drained, but with the quality they still had at their disposal it just required One chance for them to punish Palace.
However, what we have seen since Roy Hodgson took over is a club that is starting to show more method and understanding to their play which will only get better in the weeks ahead, and hopefully with Benteke back will give the attack a focal point again, and if RH can convince the players to play to CB's strengths and provide him with the service that he must have and deserves, do so and we WILL see him score the goals again for sure.
But we cant hide from the fact that we have left ourselves a mountain to climb for safety due to poor performances and shambolic leadership previously, but i feel there is a chink of light of hope appearing and that change for the better might be around the corner.

bigGcpfc
06-11-2017, 05:41 PM
Its a bit harsh to say we are the worst team in the premiership as we are playing a lot better than our points return shows, also we saw on Sunday against an inform Spurs our luck has deserted us.
Our main problem stems from our lack of a striker coupled with woeful finishing beautifully illustrated by Wilf Zaha, hard to believe his miss of an open goal if you cant put those away then you will get punished.
I really do believe if that had gone in we would have won as Spurs were struggling for any fluency and looked totally drained, but with the quality they still had at their disposal it just required One chance for them to punish Palace.
However, what we have seen since Roy Hodgson took over is a club that is starting to show more method and understanding to their play which will only get better in the weeks ahead, and hopefully with Benteke back will give the attack a focal point again, and if RH can convince the players to play to CB's strengths and provide him with the service that he must have and deserves, do so and we WILL see him score the goals again for sure.
But we cant hide from the fact that we have left ourselves a mountain to climb for safety due to poor performances and shambolic leadership previously, but i feel there is a chink of light of hope appearing and that change for the better might be around the corner.

Mostly valid and good points apart from the Benteke bit. Did you see his performances before his injury ? He was woeful and to pin our hopeful success on him returning is whimsical at best.

sl6 Eagle
06-11-2017, 05:55 PM

And where are we?

We only 27 games left not 29 by the way.

Nigelbrag
06-11-2017, 06:18 PM
Mostly valid and good points apart from the Benteke bit. Did you see his performances before his injury ? He was woeful and to pin our hopeful success on him returning is whimsical at best.

Without question Benteke has been awful this season and i also have been very critical of his performances and there are flaws to his game, but also in fairness to him the system he had to play under FDB and also the service he received would have made even Alan Shearer look like a donkey if he had to play in our system.
Hence why i said it will need RH to realise what is needed in providing CB with the service of decent crosses and balls to feet to fully function, and then we will see the best of CB again like last season when he scored 17 goals, but to do so will require teammates playing to his strengths.
You have to remember he along with Lukaku is the Centre Forward choice for the current Number One rated team in the World (Belgium) surely that makes him good enough for Palace? but if we continue to feed him with scraps to feed off, then we will get what we deserve.

redemptionday
06-11-2017, 07:51 PM
We'll get more points than Derby and Sunderland (circa 2006) but we'll most likely go down.

bodger
06-11-2017, 09:34 PM
Thereís a lot of blind optimism on these boards. We are in deep deep trouble. If you listen to Hodgsonís post-match comments he seems to be much more aware of how bad our plight is than some of the fans are. He also seems to be getting rather angry about the deficiencies in the squad particularly from his comments about having to bring a left winger on to play centre forward. Hopefully, we will turn it around but the signs are not at all good. We havenít scored a goal in an away league game yet this season.

He had a choice he chose to bring Sako on.

Skintagain
06-11-2017, 09:43 PM
Don't panic, don't panic.

We are playing well. What we need is a couple of strikers and a gk.
Improving our keepers should be easy. There's better in the championship.
Strikers not so easy and we'll have to pay through the nose and we're not a good sell at the moment. The cost of dithering in the summer will now result in far higher prices.

I'm confident of getting more points than Derby.

TouchyAndalou
07-11-2017, 01:30 AM

COYP
Here he is.

The EEEAAAGGGLLLEEE!!!
07-11-2017, 01:53 AM
All this "we're not a bad side" is bollox. We have by far the worst goalkeeper(s) in the division, and absolutely no threat whatsoever in front of goal. Even the likes of Bournemouth have Defoe. West Ham have Carroll who sat on the bench against us but would walk into our first team right now. Our defensive frailty has been exposed in almost every game. We are crap right now and our situation is desperate.

Having said that, we are not doomed. Three or four wins before Christmas with Benteke back do look possible, and that would put us in touching distance of the pack. Strengthen the obvious positions early January (yes Steve and Dougie, I'm talking to you) and not waste points waiting till Jan 31st I think we can do it.

palace_burger
07-11-2017, 04:10 AM

To be fair Beneteke was playing in FDB madness of a system where no one knew what was going on. When Frank left he played in a transitioning team with no Wilf on the leg either.

Not giving excuses but i would hope a fully fit Benteke (and Wickham) in the current much more balance set up would put away the chances that we are creating.

Timbo
07-11-2017, 04:14 AM

.....And?

Illeagle
07-11-2017, 08:29 AM
Without question Benteke has been awful this season and i also have been very critical of his performances and there are flaws to his game, but also in fairness to him the system he had to play under FDB and also the service he received would have made even Alan Shearer look like a donkey if he had to play in our system.
Hence why i said it will need RH to realise what is needed in providing CB with the service of decent crosses and balls to feet to fully function, and then we will see the best of CB again like last season when he scored 17 goals, but to do so will require teammates playing to his strengths.
You have to remember he along with Lukaku is the Centre Forward choice for the current Number One rated team in the World (Belgium) surely that makes him good enough for Palace? but if we continue to feed him with scraps to feed off, then we will get what we deserve.

Benteke is currently 4th choice for Belgium. Behind Batushyi and Origi as well as Lukaku.

Nigelbrag
07-11-2017, 09:59 AM
Benteke is currently 4th choice for Belgium. Behind Batushyi and Origi as well as Lukaku.

To be fair to him if as you state he is now 4th choice, it is probably due to his form playing for a team and system previously, that would have made even Alan Shearer look a donkey. Hopefully with RH now in charge will realise what is needed to get the best out of that type of player, for CB to have to feed off the scraps he has been fed is disgraceful.
Palace have always been a team that plays a style with a physical Centre Forward, and if we are to see the best of that type then we need to give them the type of service they need.

JackTheBiscuit
07-11-2017, 10:06 AM

behind Mertens as well

palacelad197o
07-11-2017, 10:19 AM
To be fair to him if as you state he is now 4th choice, it is probably due to his form playing for a team and system previously, that would have made even Alan Shearer look a donkey. Hopefully with RH now in charge will realise what is needed to get the best out of that type of player, for CB to have to feed off the scraps he has been fed is disgraceful.
Palace have always been a team that plays a style with a physical Centre Forward, and if we are to see the best of that type then we need to give them the type of service they need.Still think he may be sold if we are cut adrift by the next transfer window

palacelad197o
07-11-2017, 10:24 AM
Mostly valid and good points apart from the Benteke bit. Did you see his performances before his injury ? He was woeful and to pin our hopeful success on him returning is whimsical at best.I kind of agree he was looking lazy and not up for it and will be hard for Roy but as I have said I still think he may go in January with the money spent on 2 championship strikers but don't ask who lol