PDA

View Full Version : Relegation Avoidance Calculator 17/18

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

sw16girl
05-11-2017, 10:34 PM
Earlier and better than ever. I just have a feeling that this thread is going to be ever present all the time we are in the Prem. As usual I am not making predictions just showing the type of position we should be in during the season if we are to avoid relegation. I have taken 39 points again as the safe total - it may be less and I was considering reducing it but this season clubs do seem to be doing a little better than last so I'm keeping it the same. So that means 35 points from 27 games - easy?

As has been said elsewhere these next games do look fairly vital to do well in as we have a tough run after that.

Team______________Projected_______Actual____Target +/-____Overall
Everton (h)........................D.................D.... ...........0...................0
Stoke (h)...........................W................W.. .............0...................0
Brighton(a)........................L.............. ..D..............+1.................+1
West Brom (a)....................D................D......... ......0.................+1
Bournemouth(h).................W................D. .............-2..................-1
Watford(h).........................W.............. .W................0..................-1
Leicester(a)........................L............. ...W.............+3.................+2
Swansea (a).......................W................D...... ........-2...................0
Arsenal(h)..........................L............. ...L................0...................0
Man City(h).........................L................D .............+1.................+1
Southampton(a)..................L................W .............+3.................+4
Burnley(h)..........................W............. .W................0.................+4
Arsenal(a)...........................L............ ...L................0..................+4
West Ham(a).......................D...............D.... ...........0..................+4
Newcastle(h).......................W.............. D...............-2..................+2
Everton(a)..........................L............. ...L................0..................+2
Spurs(h).............................D............ ...L...............-1..................+1
Reset so now overall level to target again
Man U(h)............................L................L ...............0..................+1
Chelsea(a)..........................L............. ..L................0..................+1
Huddersfield(a)...................D............... W.............+2..................+3
Liverpool(h)........................D............. ..L...............-1..................+2
Bournemouth(a)..................D...............D. ..............0..................+2
Brighton(h).........................W............. .W...............0..................+2
Watford(a)..........................L............. ..D..............+1.................+3
Leicester(h)........................W............. .W................0.................+3
Stoke(a).............................L............ ..W..............+3.................+6
West Brom(h).....................W

By the Way does anyone know why we play Swansea twice before we play Arsenal once? I do not recall that happening before but maybe it does sometimes - means that our first 19 games are easier on paper than our second 19 as the team we play twice in the first 19 is Swansea.

bigend1
06-11-2017, 12:04 PM
Nice one

Just a little bump to get it above the old thread

:lux:

Zohar's Penalty
06-11-2017, 12:11 PM
This isn't anywhere near as daunting as I had expected it to look.

Quietly confident.

CharlieCPFC
06-11-2017, 12:14 PM
Cheers for that, given our recent performances that looks very doable.

Stockport_Eagle
06-11-2017, 12:18 PM
There is an implicit assumption in the OP that we will score a minimum of 10 more goals between now and the end of the season. :eek:

foresthillbilly
06-11-2017, 12:25 PM
There is an implicit assumption in the OP that we will score a minimum of 10 more goals between now and the end of the season. :eek:

That is entirely possible with our current joint-leading top scorer,. . . o.g.

Everton (h)........................D
Stoke (h)...........................L
Brighton(a)........................L
West Brom (a)...................L
Bournemouth(h).................W
Watford(h).........................W
Leicester(a)........................L
Swansea (a).......................L
Arsenal(h)..........................L
Man City(h).........................L
Southampton(a)..................L
Burnley(h)..........................L
Arsenal(a)...........................L
West Ham(a).......................D
Newcastle(h).......................W
Everton(a)..........................L
Spurs(h).............................L
Man U(h)............................L
Chelsea(a)..........................L
Huddersfield(a)...................L
Liverpool(h)........................L
Bournemouth(a)..................W
Brighton(h).........................W
Watford(a)..........................L
Leicester(h)........................W
Stoke(a).............................L

or maybe not

Mr Bo Jangles
06-11-2017, 12:28 PM
Next 4-6 games look very winneable, Benteke back, starting to play well, defence tighter. Surely our luck has to change. Things will be so much clearer in early December.

mystery_man
06-11-2017, 12:29 PM
Disappointed that we're so low on confidence we are projecting a loss at the Amex. Probably right though.

Seanee Pawnee
I just did a quick calculaish and have us finishing on 35pts...
Not enough!

st albans
That is entirely possible with our current joint-leading top scorer,. . . o.g.

you do realise Zaha is out top scorer with 2

Thefunkymonk
06-11-2017, 12:32 PM
I’ll have a go...

Everton (h)........................W
Stoke (h)...........................W
Brighton(a)........................W
Watford(h).........................D
Swansea (a).......................W
Southampton(a)..................D
Burnley(h)..........................W
Huddersfield(a)...................W
Watford(a)..........................D
Stoke(a).............................D

Think that would see us safe and isn’t unrealistic

mroakley9
06-11-2017, 12:33 PM
you do realise Zaha is out top scorer with 2

yeah zaha is an og

sw16girl
06-11-2017, 12:36 PM
I was deliberately pessimistic with a few of our upcoming matches because I think people are investing far too much in them - too many people saying Everton is a must win game, that we cannot allow ourselves to lose to Brighton etc. The above shows that isn't true and there is more than enough time to get out of the mess we are in

TFM - I am not sure you have understood the principle - you have got us getting lots of points more than we need - we may well do but this is not a prediction thread simply an indication of what we might need to do to get to the magic 39 points. We can ignore what others do (no need to hope that Man U or Brighton win eg) as long as we get enough points on the board we will be safe.

Thefunkymonk
06-11-2017, 12:38 PM
I was deliberately pessimistic with a few of our upcoming matches because I think people are investing far too much in them - too many people saying Everton is a must win game, that we cannot allow ourselves to lose to Brighton etc. The above shows that isn't true and there is more than enough time to get out of the mess we are in

TFM - I am not sure you have understood the principle - you have got us getting lots of points more than we need - we may well do but this is not a prediction thread simply an indication of what we might need to do to get to the magic 39 points. We can ignore what others do (no need to hope that Man U or Brighton win eg) as long as we get enough points on the board we will be safe.

I know I get that. More a post to show we are still in it.

sw16girl
06-11-2017, 12:52 PM
I know I get that. More a post to show we are still in it.

:p

Chris Finch
06-11-2017, 01:01 PM
Does anyone have website links to updated Gx charts people sometimes mention?

I know we took 1 point from Newcastle, West Ham and Spurs but our performances perhaps warranted more

st albans
06-11-2017, 01:03 PM
I just did a quick calculaish and have us finishing on 35pts...
Not enough!

would have been 3 out of the last 5 years

MasterYoda
06-11-2017, 01:12 PM
Does anyone have website links to updated Gx charts people sometimes mention?

I know we took 1 point from Newcastle, West Ham and Spurs but our performances perhaps warranted more

Here's one of many examples. This lot have us in 10th based on xG.

We "won" again on the weekend - as we have for the last 3.

Ant.Palace
06-11-2017, 10:59 PM
Good to see this thread back another year, keeps a more realistic view of our chances of staying up

WLYWLYAWYPWF
06-11-2017, 11:56 PM
I’ll have a go...

Everton (h)........................W
Brighton(a)........................W
Watford(h).........................D
Watford(a)..........................D
Stoke(a).............................D

Think that would see us safe and isn’t unrealistic

We have never won more than 13 games in a season since we've been up. Asking a lot to match that record after such a stinking start. Hope we can string a run together that gets us back in abunch. Being cut adrift feels awful.

Chas
07-11-2017, 12:54 AM
Our first season in the premier league, we were something like top 8 in the second half of the season. We can do this.

alanlee11
07-11-2017, 01:54 AM
I have us down as getting 31 more points, so 35 in total.

Team______________Projected_____________Actual____ ________Target +/-_____________Overall
Stoke (h)...........................D
West Brom (a)...................D
Swansea (a).......................D
Bournemouth(a)..................D

By the Way does anyone know why we play Swansea twice before we play Arsenal once? I do not recall that happening before but maybe it does sometimes - means that our first 19 games are easier on paper than our second 19 as the team we play twice in the first 19 is Swansea.[/QUOTE]

Nigelbrag
07-11-2017, 10:23 AM
Earlier and better than ever. I just have a feeling that this thread is going to be ever present all the time we are in the Prem. As usual I am not making predictions just showing the type of position we should be in during the season if we are to avoid relegation. I have taken 39 points again as the safe total - it may be less and I was considering reducing it but this season clubs do seem to be doing a little better than last so I'm keeping it the same. So that means 35 points from 27 games - easy?

As has been said elsewhere these next games do look fairly vital to do well in as we have a tough run after that.

Team______________Projected_____________Actual____ ________Target +/-_____________Overall
Spurs(h).............................D
Huddersfield(a)...................D
Liverpool(h)........................D

By the Way does anyone know why we play Swansea twice before we play Arsenal once? I do not recall that happening before but maybe it does sometimes - means that our first 19 games are easier on paper than our second 19 as the team we play twice in the first 19 is Swansea.

I do hope you are right, but 10 Wins and 6 Draws at this moment seems very optimistic to say the least.:p
But then rightly as you suggest we Must aim high for that return if we are to save ourselves, this season looks as though it will need a bumper points total for safety, unfortunately i can see Palace getting no more than a hopeful 36 points and then keep everything crossed that it means safety.

ardeo
07-11-2017, 10:29 AM
Don't think playing Swansea twice in the first 19 games makes it any easier than playing Arsenal twice in the second 19 games, based on our recent results against them both...

Robson
07-11-2017, 10:33 AM
Our first season in the premier league, we were something like top 8 in the second half of the season. We can do this.
Those players had a lot more mettle than this lot.

victor43
07-11-2017, 01:49 PM

Bet you weren't saying that after 11 games that season when we were also on 4 points!

We have the quality, now need return of Big Ben and to start taking some chances!

Stellavista
07-11-2017, 02:11 PM
We don't need a calculator this season.
We're f*cked.

bigend1
07-11-2017, 02:22 PM

I might have thought that for a while but not after the last five games. Roy has them fighting. There has been no lack of trying from most. For the whole game, they haven’t given up. Look at West Ham.. finally got the reward but that was typical of what we have seen. They’ve kept fighting. That’s the only reason I still think we have a chance. At some point the ball goes in off the post in stead of out, the ref does give the penalty, the keeper doesn’t make the one in ten times save we just need to keep making those chances.

I think this is the most fight we have seen. Even under sam it took a long time for them to believe again. With Roy we could see the difference even against Utd and city. Yes we slumpped second half but after that two week break pre chelsea we were a different side.

Even now, look at Scott Danns interview after Spurs. He believes what he is saying. Look back at a couple of old ones when frank was here and Scot Dann is saying want he is supposed to but you could tell he wasn’t sure. That’s one of the things that worried me about frank, the players weren’t believing what they were saying even before we were losing.

Now they do and I think they are up for it. We need the rewards soon though, we need points otherwise they really will start to doubt that anything they do will make a difference.

Celestial Empire
07-11-2017, 02:28 PM
By the Way does anyone know why we play Swansea twice before we play Arsenal once? I do not recall that happening before but maybe it does sometimes - means that our first 19 games are easier on paper than our second 19 as the team we play twice in the first 19 is Swansea.[/QUOTE]

The second Swansea fixture is probably timed to take place the week after they ditch Clement and bring in a good manager.:rolleyes:

bald-eagle
07-11-2017, 04:41 PM
I think there's some mistake.....surely Chelsea (a) is a "W" :supergrin:

JDawg
07-11-2017, 07:37 PM
We need goals, clean sheets and snookers. Not much then

Happy Arthur
07-11-2017, 08:01 PM
We need a decent November.

the digger
07-11-2017, 08:27 PM
Win, lose, draw for the rest of the season and we should stay up. Obviously it would be nice to get ahead of points per game sooner rather than later, but I think pragmatism, patience and iron wills are what's required.

sl6 Eagle
07-11-2017, 09:53 PM
We need a decent November.

That started well then :frown:

Oli28
07-11-2017, 10:17 PM
Easy to say in hindsight.

I don't recall many complementing the team on their mettle after the 1-4 against Fulham.

Michael G
08-11-2017, 01:41 AM
Easy to say in hindsight.

I don't recall many complementing the team on their mettle after the 1-4 against Fulham.

Yes remember that well. Took a box for my 40th. The day after we went to Lingfield for the raceday and there were plenty of long faces on view . Holloway then went and we then started to the Pulis time. This side is in a different county to that one and I am confident we will start a recovery. Saying there is no fight is simply not true.

Brumie Allan
08-11-2017, 07:50 AM
My top 10 bet looks on then.

I think I've written off the top 6 bet.

Staying up bet is money in my pocket.

CP-RJW
08-11-2017, 07:59 AM
yeah zaha is an og
:supergrin:

Dave McGregor
08-11-2017, 12:26 PM
So if we are to stay up which are the 3 sides that will go down?

Selhurst Celtic
08-11-2017, 12:31 PM
Hopefully Brighton, Hove and Albion.

firesign
08-11-2017, 12:34 PM
So if we are to stay up which are the 3 sides that will go down?

Swansea, West Ham, Bournemouth

JDawg
08-11-2017, 12:51 PM
We don't need a calculator this season.
We're f*cked.

Ah, but how ****ed? For that we do need a calculator!

NorthPalace23
08-11-2017, 01:03 PM
Thanks for starting the thread.

We can and will stay up!

DaveTuttles
08-11-2017, 01:06 PM
We have to do this without Jedinak, thats a few points missing for sure.

GB2506
08-11-2017, 01:23 PM
We have to do this without Jedinak, thats a few points missing for sure.

What??

FMH57
09-11-2017, 09:59 AM
If by some miracle Sakho, Zaha and Benteke are fit for the rest of the season , we will stay up . We will win more games than we lose if these three are in the side. Unfortunately if any of them are missing from the starting line-up our chances of winning the game decrease dramatically.

Michael G
18-11-2017, 06:15 PM

Spurs(h).............................D
Huddersfield(a)...................D
Liverpool(h)........................D

On target then!

stumpy feelers
18-11-2017, 06:42 PM
Don't bother. It's useless. We're down.

PoshPalace
18-11-2017, 06:45 PM
Don't bother. It's useless. We're down.
That's the spirit, up and at 'em!

Martin H
18-11-2017, 07:01 PM
Current points form would have us on 16 points for the season. Ouch. Havig watched us perform so well against Spurs and Everton for long spells and come out of that with 1 point, maybe its about right :(

Saturday nights are depressing even when we draw apparently. Need to play some Leonard Cohen to cheer myself up I reckon.

DARZET EAGLE
18-11-2017, 07:46 PM
Current points form would have us on 16 points for the season. Ouch. Havig watched us perform so well against Spurs and Everton for long spells and come out of that with 1 point, maybe its about right :(

Saturday nights are depressing even when we draw apparently. Need to play some Leonard Cohen to cheer myself up I reckon.

Cheer up, it's only a football game. Yeah I know:sob:

CPFC.1990
18-11-2017, 09:02 PM
West Ham and Everton were the most clueless and inept teams we have played this season and they they both won a point from us. Where are we going to make up these lost 4 points??

We can't even beat the very shittest in the league.

If West Ham win tomorrow, what with the Bournemouth result today, then I really think we are going to struggle.

sw16girl
19-11-2017, 09:15 AM
It isn't about other peoples results - that is what this thread is partly for - no feeling dirty for wanting Man U or Brighton to win games against teams round us - it is only about concentrating on our scores - if we get the points we will stay up no mater what other results are, and as long as I have not been optimistic in saying 39 will keep us up.

It would have been nice to have been two points ahead but we aren't and it is still eminently doable

sw16girl
24-11-2017, 11:31 AM
Well this is a game that we really need to get something out of even though I hate saying that this early in the season. Up to now all the talk of six pointers etc have been a bit premature but looking at the fixtures they fall into three groups - a set of "easier" games now, then a long run of mainly hard games and then a further run of "easier" games at the end of the season.

If we do not pick up an acceptable number of points from the next seven games to lift us up to at least the top of the relegation zone or hopefully out of it then it is difficult seeing us staying enough in touch over the following 13 game period to take any kind of advantage from the easier run of 6 games at the end.

Martin H
24-11-2017, 11:55 AM
Well this is a game that we really need to get something out of even though I hate saying that this early in the season. Up to now all the talk of six pointers etc have been a bit premature but looking at the fixtures they fall into three groups - a set of "easier" games now, then a long run of mainly hard games and then a further run of "easier" games at the end of the season.

If we do not pick up an acceptable number of points from the next seven games to lift us up to at least the top of the relegation zone or hopefully out of it then it is difficult seeing us staying enough in touch over the following 13 game period to take any kind of advantage from the easier run of 6 games at the end.

Perfectly put. If we don't generate the confidence and points in these next few games I would fear the worst. TBH I am twitchy already that the results against West Ham and Everton could later be seen as the first nails in that 'lid'. Spurs was more of an encouragement because I would never rely on points there but the other two results are weighing heavy now. Forget the decisions, its the blunders that have killed us all season - misses and defensive mistakes - and we continue to make them.

st albans
24-11-2017, 12:09 PM
Forget the decisions, its the blunders that have killed us all season - misses and defensive mistakes - and we continue to make them.

at least we're consistent....

sw16girl
25-11-2017, 09:33 PM
So nicely on track and a game that we really could have done with winning safely won. It would be good to win at Brighton but anything from that game will put us ahead of schedule. Off for a large G&T.

sylvan eagle
25-11-2017, 09:34 PM
So nicely on track and a game that we really could have done with winning safely won. It would be good to win at Brighton but anything from that game will put us ahead of schedule. Off for a large G&T.

Safely won [emoji51]

El Aguila
25-11-2017, 10:35 PM
.... in the 93rd minute :lux:

costello
25-11-2017, 10:57 PM
We are the only one of the bottom four teams to have won any of their last 5 matches. Very fortunate that there is so much dross immediately above us.

hdeagle
25-11-2017, 11:08 PM
Palace have over the previous 5 games deserved to have won all 5 games so today was just rewards for an improving Palace side that are not playing like a relegation team and will soon be out of the relegation zone.

Palace are back.

COYP

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
26-11-2017, 02:36 AM
It still looks like a tough ask to get all the points required when you read through that opening post.

sw16girl
28-11-2017, 09:45 PM
A dire game but the good thing is we did not lose and we edged ahead of projected position. That +1 has cheered me up having watched the dross.

Robson
28-11-2017, 09:49 PM
A dire game but the good thing is we did not lose and we edged ahead of projected position. That +1 has cheered me up having watched the dross.

Dross on Saturday, dross tonight = 4 points.

I want more dross.

rhiannapaul
28-11-2017, 09:51 PM
We will stay up now ,even getting Wickham back will help

sw16girl
28-11-2017, 09:59 PM
Dross on Saturday, dross tonight = 4 points.

I want more dross.

I didn't think Saturday was too bad - I quite enjoyed it - good chances on both sides and fairly entertaining. Tonight the tension got to everyone

Mr Palace
28-11-2017, 09:59 PM
We have a chance if we sign a keeper, two strikers and a winger.

Robson
28-11-2017, 10:01 PM
We will stay up now ,even getting Wickham back will help

who?

wavey
28-11-2017, 10:12 PM
The great thing about being as terrible as we were at the start of the season is the only way is up. We've been steadily improving and it's still easy to see how we can improve further.

Now RH has Benteke back and has some time available on the training pitch I think we'll switch to 451/433. RLC will thrive in the center, while giving Wilf a little more space should see him in the game more. Maybe a few of these draws will turn into wins.

NorthPalace23
28-11-2017, 10:51 PM
A point gained.

I feel positive on reflection.

swirly007
28-11-2017, 11:00 PM

:lux::lux:

NorthPalace23
28-11-2017, 11:04 PM
We had 16 from 19 last season.

If we can get 7 more from 5 we will be on track.

PalaceForever
28-11-2017, 11:04 PM
We’re clawing out points, becoming harder to beat and building confidence slowly. We have to keep it going and pick up a few more wins though - teams like Brighton know that they can play for a draw and keep us at arm’s length due to the pointa cushion. If we can get closer to these teams in the table it will put them under pressure and I think the games will be more open.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
29-11-2017, 12:49 AM
We’re clawing out points, becoming harder to beat and building confidence slowly. We have to keep it going and pick up a few more wins though - teams like Brighton know that they can play for a draw and keep us at arm’s length due to the pointa cushion. If we can get closer to these teams in the table it will put them under pressure and I think the games will be more open.

Yep, although we were the away side, in the bigger picture a point is probably better to them than it is to us. We need to catch these teams.

Eagle Kneevil
29-11-2017, 12:54 AM
Ahead of target already. Easy.

DeadPanX
29-11-2017, 01:01 AM
We've picked up more points than Spurs and only lost once in the last 5 games. Let that sink in.

Simmo the Elder
29-11-2017, 09:35 AM
We had 16 from 19 last season.

If we can get 7 more from 5 we will be on track.

Yes - we can get 7/8 points from the next five

Simmo the Elder
29-11-2017, 09:37 AM
http://www.soccerstats.com/formtable.asp?league=england:p

Simmo the Elder
29-11-2017, 09:40 AM
Brighton wont be at arms length come Feb - mark my words (unless they splash out on a new centre forward in Jan, which is what we must do).

McpfcS
29-11-2017, 11:58 AM
Down to third faves for relegation now - Huddersfield have taken our place. West Ham, West Brom and Brighton very close behind us too.

eagles2345
29-11-2017, 12:10 PM
Last 7 games - palace 9 points, west ham 6, swansea 4, west brom 3. Only a couple of wins away from Newcastle and Huddersfield as well. We're finally gaining some momentum despite missed opportunities in the two home games before Stoke. Think west ham and swansea are worse than us so as long as this continues we have a chance.

Maidstone Eagle
29-11-2017, 06:59 PM
I look at it that we had 0 points from the first 7 games and 9 from the next 7.

If we were to match the target of 9 in each of the next sets of 7 games we reach 36 with 3 games spare.

Very possible.

The key is to be in touch by the half way mark and have a chance the second half of the seaso

Next 5 games we could do with 7 points

bhb
29-11-2017, 07:09 PM
Love this thread. In 11 November days, we’ve got 5 points (including 1st away point and clean sheet). Took us about 2.5 months to get the first 4 points. Things must be looking up!

rhino_mik
02-12-2017, 11:52 PM
Can we draw ourselves to safety?

Palacebear
03-12-2017, 12:01 AM
Can we draw ourselves to safety?

22 draws & 1 win may just be enough. Come on Roy 6-4-0 formation from now on pls....

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
03-12-2017, 01:08 AM
So much still depends on us keeping our best players fit in my opinion. We did well to get a point with a few absences today but as the start of the season showed without the likes of Zaha, Cabaye, Luka and Sakho we will not pick up many points at all.

CPFC since 1989
03-12-2017, 02:16 AM
Off the foot of the table. Absolutely delighted. We are staying up!

averity
03-12-2017, 02:24 AM
Think we will invest in Jan, and it looks a lot better now than it did a couple of weeks back! Also we are gaining some confidence, clean sheets, unbeaten in 4 etc. But I feel next week will be a defining week, as west brim have got Swansea and we have Bournemouth, if us and Swansea were to lose the league would look very daunting all of a sudden

McpfcS
03-12-2017, 12:00 PM
Swansea, West Ham and Huddersfield now all more likely to go down than us according to the bookies.

bigend1
03-12-2017, 12:13 PM
What we have seen over the last three games is how thin the squad is. 3 games in 8 days... we’ve got that sort of physical challenge coming twice more now.

Where other teams will have the advantage is that we will be hoping the vast majority of our players will make every minute of it. Other side will be able to rotate more than us. Even taking off key players with 20 mins to go as required.

We can do that with benteke for example. Yes we played wilf and Townsend reasonably well there before but the difference is they will also be playing every minute. Jimmy can rotate with Luka and cabaye of course. Ruben? Shocked he’s played so much in this last 8 games given he’s a apparently been unable to do that until now but he’ll be tested again.

We really really need cabaye, Tomkins and Dann fit for it. I suspect pva/schlupp will get time on the left wing. It will be firefighting again at times for the next 5 weeks and we truly need a bit more luck than we’ve had with injuries.

Get through that with a reasonable number of points and I’m confident we’re ok

swissroll
03-12-2017, 12:21 PM
I look at it that we had 0 points from the first 7 games and 9 from the next 7.

If we were to match the target of 9 in each of the next sets of 7 games we reach 36 with 3 games spare.

Very possible.

The key is to be in touch by the half way mark and have a chance the second half of the seaso

Next 5 games we could do with 7 points

Indeed, its a fight right to the end of the season , but at least we now have a chance

Celestial Empire
03-12-2017, 01:24 PM
It's a shame that we haven't managed to give game time to Jairo and Fosu-Mensah, they both have something to offer and we might need them in the Christmas lunacy fixture list.:(

Mr Bo Jangles
03-12-2017, 01:27 PM
Roy has recognised there are only about 15 players he will trust and the rest he clearly doesn't rate and that includes F-M. Who else would have put Kelly in yesterday ahead of F-M. Fair play to Roy, clean sheet so it must have worked.

BillyTKid
03-12-2017, 02:46 PM
I see the predictor has us down for three wins in the next four. Bullish

Twilko
03-12-2017, 03:00 PM
I see the predictor has us down for three wins in the next four. Bullish

Remember it's not a predictor, but a projection of the kind of results we need.
Like that scene in Interstellar:

TARS: "Its not possible."
Cooper: "No. Its necessary."

(hopefully winning three out of four turns out to be easier than matching spin with retro thrusters)

sw16girl
03-12-2017, 07:48 PM
Still one up and ticking along nicely and although a daunting set of fixtures coming up - I think Watford worries me most - they are holding their form really well.

On TFM I understand that the reason he came to Palace was so he could play in the centre as United think of him as a right back but he think he should be more in the centre - FDB presumably promised him game time there. Now he isn't getting it his motivation may not be what it was and he may well go back in the window.

Hector
04-12-2017, 02:14 PM
It's a shame that we haven't managed to give game time to Jairo and Fosu-Mensah, they both have something to offer and we might need them in the Christmas lunacy fixture list.:(

I think they might have something to offer if we were not in a scrape. Both particularly Jario need playing to get use to the Premier League and when you are backs to the wall there is no time to ease people in. I don't see Reideweld getting any real game time until next season if he's still here.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
04-12-2017, 03:47 PM
Still one up and ticking along nicely and although a daunting set of fixtures coming up - I think Watford worries me most - they are holding their form really well.

On TFM I understand that the reason he came to Palace was so he could play in the centre as United think of him as a right back but he think he should be more in the centre - FDB presumably promised him game time there. Now he isn't getting it his motivation may not be what it was and he may well go back in the window.

Hopefully his presence in the squad may be bringing the best out of Wardy though

Mr Palace
04-12-2017, 06:21 PM
Not sure how this squad will get through the busy Christmas schedule - that's going to be very tough. We need to pick up decent points in the next four to haves chance of being in contention come January and then hopefully new signings will be made early doors. It would be good if we didn't f*ck about like we usually do and leave it to the last minute.

sw16girl
09-12-2017, 06:55 PM
So the first real setback

Everton (h)........................D...................... ......D............................0.............. .....................0
Stoke (h)...........................W................... ........W............................0............ .......................0
Brighton(a)........................L.............. ..............D.............................+1.... .............................+1
West Brom (a)...................D........................... .D.............................0.................. .................+1
Bournemouth(h).................W.................. .........L.............................-2..................................-1

I am a little concerned because I will admit when I sit down and work out the estimates I just put down what I think the results are likely to be and then tweak them until I get 39 points from the results. For the first time this season my first estimate was below the necessary total so I had to bump some of them up. Watford was one of those that I nudged from a draw to a win - doesn't mean we cannot do it because obviously we can but it does look like one of the harder wins and going further behind the target at this stage would not be good with the Christmas of death period approaching

Celestial Empire
09-12-2017, 08:15 PM
So the first real setback

Everton (h)........................D...................... ......D............................0.............. .....................0
Stoke (h)...........................W................... ........W............................0............ .......................0
Brighton(a)........................L.............. ..............D.............................+1.... .............................+1
West Brom (a)...................D........................... .D.............................0.................. .................+1
Bournemouth(h).................W.................. .........L.............................-3..................................-2

I am a little concerned because I will admit when I sit down and work out the estimates I just put down what I think the results are likely to be and then tweak them until I get 39 points from the results. For the first time this season my first estimate was below the necessary total so I had to bump some of them up. Watford was one of those that I nudged from a draw to a win - doesn't mean we cannot do it because obviously we can but it does look like one of the harder wins and going further behind the target at this stage would not be good with the Christmas of death period approaching

We didn't lose.

st albans
09-12-2017, 08:23 PM
We didn't lose.

Lol

sw16girl
09-12-2017, 08:57 PM
We didn't lose.

oops! Of course we didn't - it just felt like it in the way that West Ham felt almost like a win.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
09-12-2017, 09:23 PM
After today's fiasco and the dropped points and with Sakho likely to miss the christmas period, combined with Dann's poor form and Tomkins injury problems, I think we are in big trouble.

Spindle
09-12-2017, 10:34 PM
Yeah it suddenly feels really bad. It's the same feeling as after the 4 nil Sunderland game last season. Defoe is a dark spectre for us.

Chas
09-12-2017, 11:50 PM
While it may have felt like a loss given the final moment of the match, we actually drew today vs. Bournemouth :)

Reg_Maudling
10-12-2017, 01:26 PM
Bournemouth are really not a bad side and are organised and competent and able to cheat

a point is really not a disaster

IF the benteke issue doesn't affect team spirit and morale

McpfcS
10-12-2017, 01:35 PM
Bournemouth are really not a bad side and are organised and competent and able to cheat

a point is really not a disaster

IF the benteke issue doesn't affect team spirit and morale

We need to win at least 7 (probably 8) more games. Just can’t see where they come from now - we’ve wasted too many opportunities.

hdeagle
10-12-2017, 02:08 PM
Palace in spite of dropping points and going back to the bottom of the table are now only 3 points from getting out of the bottom 3 as we gained a point on West Brom and have now reduced the gap to them to just 2 points.

Next week these are the key mid-week games :

Palace v Watford
Swansea v Man City
Chelsea v Huddersfield
Spurs v Brighton
West Ham v Arsenal
Burnley v Stoke
Newcastle v Everton
Man United v Bournemouth

A Palace win could see us move up to 4th from bottom.

COYP

Mr Palace
10-12-2017, 02:10 PM
Anyone seen our run from Jan to April? Nightmare. That's why throwing away so many winnable home games could cost us.

hdeagle
10-12-2017, 02:10 PM
i forgot to mention another key game next week

Liverpool v West Brom

hdeagle
10-12-2017, 02:22 PM
Palace lie 12th in the current form table which is better form than many of the bottom 10 teams.

http://footstats.co.uk/index.cfm?task=formguide

Mr Palace
10-12-2017, 02:29 PM
Palace lie 12th in the current form table which is better form than many of the bottom 10 teams.

http://footstats.co.uk/index.cfm?task=formguide

We've had easier games though.

Ooh Betty
10-12-2017, 02:43 PM
Palace in spite of dropping points and going back to the bottom of the table are now only 3 points from getting out of the bottom 3 as we gained a point on West Brom and have now reduced the gap to them to just 2 points.

Next week these are the key mid-week games :

Palace v Watford
Swansea v Man City
Chelsea v Huddersfield
Spurs v Brighton
West Ham v Arsenal
Burnley v Stoke
Newcastle v Everton
Man United v Bournemouth

A Palace win could see us move up to 4th from bottom.

COYP

No it couldn't.

darved
10-12-2017, 02:49 PM
I've been pretty optimistic so far but dropping points like we did yesterday is becoming too much of a regular occurrance. Its putting a real squeeze on the rest of the season.

macstar
10-12-2017, 02:50 PM
I've been pretty optimistic so far but dropping points like we did yesterday is becoming too much of a regular occurrance. Its putting a real squeeze on the rest of the season.

and now Sakho injury and the possibility now that Benteke will put even less effort in than he did before

hdeagle
10-12-2017, 02:54 PM
West Brom are currently 4th from bottom on 13 points which is just 2 points more than Palace on 11 points
If Palace can beat Watford then they would go above West Brom.

Swansea would have to beat Man City to stop a Palace win taking us out of the relegation places with a win over Watford.

https://www.premierleague.com/tables

newish eagle
10-12-2017, 02:56 PM
West Brom are currently 4th from bottom on 13 points which is just 2 points more than Palace on 11 points

Swansea would have to beat Man City to stop a Palace win taking us out of the relegation places with a win over Watford.

Assuming of course....we beat Watford.

It’s hardly done deal territory is it.

RAB
10-12-2017, 02:57 PM
Palace will probably need to win 7 more matches with 3/4 draws. That would total 35/36 points which might be enough. Whilst not currently adrift, the lack of resources in every position is the most concerning aspect of trying to make a case for Palace surviving this time.

sw16girl
10-12-2017, 02:58 PM

I think that ooh Betty's pedantic point is that fourth from bottom is actually 16th place as it goes bottom, next to bottom, 2nd from bottom, 3rd from bottom and then 4th from bottom. We would therefore need to go above Newcastle to be 4th from bottom. However everyone know what you mean - he is just being difficult. You are right and considering the opposition it is entirely possible we will be out of the relegation zone - even if it is only for a while.

hdeagle
10-12-2017, 03:04 PM
Palace being relegated is not a done deal as some like to imply

There are still 23 games left to play with only 15 games having already been played.

COYP

sw16girl
10-12-2017, 03:28 PM
Palace being relegated is not a done deal as some like to imply

There are still 23 games left to play with only 15 games having already been played.

COYP

Which is precisely what this thread is there to show - btw do you ever actually react to any posts and reply or just simply post encouraging posts and set out pre-conceived ideas?

exiledeagle
10-12-2017, 03:39 PM
I think that ooh Betty's pedantic point is that fourth from bottom is actually 16th place as it goes bottom, next to bottom, 2nd from bottom, 3rd from bottom and then 4th from bottom. We would therefore need to go above Newcastle to be 4th from bottom. However everyone know what you mean - he is just being difficult. You are right and considering the opposition it is entirely possible we will be out of the relegation zone - even if it is only for a while.

too many bottoms :angel:

Sam Spade
10-12-2017, 03:43 PM
Which is precisely what this thread is there to show - btw do you ever actually react to any posts and reply or just simply post encouraging posts and set out pre-conceived ideas?
??
The post above yours is clearly a reaction to many posts suggesting we are already down.
Down with encouraging posts and pre conceived ideas. More thoughtless reaction is just what the BBS needs.

McpfcS
10-12-2017, 04:23 PM
Anyone seen our run from Jan to April? Nightmare. That's why throwing away so many winnable home games could cost us.

Exactly

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
10-12-2017, 04:51 PM

Yeah, I think we are f*cked to be honest. Have thrown away so many points.

Lee's mistake and Dann's miss at Burnley
Pathetic performances at home to Hudds and Swans
Speroni and Dann against Everton
Wilf's open goal miss at Spurs
Dann's miss and the penalty miss yesterday

We should be comfortably on 20 points plus by now and we are nowhere near. We need to beat other teams in the bottom half and have only managed it once with close to half the season gone.

cpfc 81
10-12-2017, 04:57 PM

We should be comfortably on 20 points plus by now and we are nowhere near. We need to beat other teams in the bottom half and have only managed it once with close to half the season gone.

I'm glad your not motivating the players. may have a burnley esque 2nd half of season.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
10-12-2017, 04:59 PM
I'm glad your not motivating the players. may have a burnley esque 2nd half of season.
I'm glad it's not my job either! There is plenty of football to play and the future isn't written but I think we will pay for our almost constant mistakes.

McpfcS
10-12-2017, 05:02 PM
Watford is as close to a ‘must win’ game as it’s possible to get without being an actual ‘must win’ game!

Need 8 more wins - two of them need to happen before the halfway point imo.

cpfc 81
10-12-2017, 05:07 PM
I'm glad it's not my job either! There is plenty of football to play and the future isn't written but I think we will pay for our almost constant mistakes.

Same here mate.

I just don't see the doom from many with so many games left, and we could be out of relegation zone on Tuesday, who wouldn't have taken that a few weeks back

Truth is we were in a worse position last season with fewer games left.

Well within our grasp, players need to maintain current performance levels and I'm sure all will be ok.

Mr Palace
10-12-2017, 05:25 PM

It's been an unbelievably poor season - we've gifted away so many points.

chrisophiex
10-12-2017, 05:31 PM
Without sounding defeatist I would be ok with Roy for another year , and if it’s in the championship (and we bounce back) then he could build a very stable foundation.

Trying to ignore all those teams, now forgotten, that say the same thing...

McpfcS
10-12-2017, 05:56 PM
Without sounding defeatist I would be ok with Roy for another year , and if it’s in the championship (and we bounce back) then he could build a very stable foundation.

Trying to ignore all those teams, now forgotten, that say the same thing...

I just can’t see this. If we go down every decent player leaves us and we are left with Sako, Mutch, CYL and all the other crap that we can’t shift.

Roy will leave and we will try to make a longer term appointment. I think we’ll struggle in the Championship next season. And if we were to come back up we’d be starting from a squad base akin to our 2013/2014 side which would have little hope of staying up. Years of great work undone through sheer stupidity.

Mr Palace
10-12-2017, 06:32 PM
Luckily shitheads like Sako, Mutch and CYL are out of contract. Along with a host of others - some that you wouldn't want to lose but inevitably will - eg Cabaye. If we do go down its a big rebuild job. I think it would be better to back a younger up and coming manager and keep Roy on in an advisory capacity.

alanlee11
10-12-2017, 06:33 PM
running out of home games against poor teams.

chrisophiex
10-12-2017, 06:35 PM
Luckily shitheads like Sako, Mutch and CYL are out of contract. Along with a host of others - some that you wouldn't want to lose but inevitably will - eg Cabaye. If we do go down its a big rebuild job. I think it would be better to back a younger up and coming manager and keep Roy on in an advisory capacity.

Shitheads...:D

Speron1
10-12-2017, 06:48 PM

Benteke miss at Liverpool an' all :p

SussexRed&Blue
10-12-2017, 07:01 PM
Think if we are going to stay up now we are going to have to do it the hard way with some shock wins against the big boys.

Like last season the 3 wins we got over Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal kept us up. We may need some similar results as we just keep shooting ourselves in the foot and not taking our chances.

Frustrating because this team is much better than our league position shows but if you get 0 points from 1st 7 games it takes some getting back.

We need to be on at least 14 points after 19 games to have any chance to stay up. Trying to recruit new players in January will be difficult because of our chances of being relegated.

Stellavista
10-12-2017, 07:04 PM

Yes, we could make him Director of Football. Oh...

palacelad197o
10-12-2017, 07:09 PM
I just can’t see this. If we go down every decent player leaves us and we are left with Sako, Mutch, CYL and all the other crap that we can’t shift.

Roy will leave and we will try to make a longer term appointment. I think we’ll struggle in the Championship next season. And if we were to come back up we’d be starting from a squad base akin to our 2013/2014 side which would have little hope of staying up. Years of great work undone through sheer stupidity.

mick McCarthy would be a good appointment if we go down has been in the championship for a few seasons and always gets teams up and around the play offs

Harry Bassett
10-12-2017, 07:36 PM
mick McCarthy would be a good appointment if we go down has been in the championship for a few seasons and always gets teams up and around the play offs

Paddy maybe/doubtful but not Mick,he must be 103.

st albans
10-12-2017, 07:43 PM
No it couldn't.

It could

Mr Palace
10-12-2017, 07:47 PM
Yes, we could make him Director of Football. Oh...

That would have been a wise move! Maybe they will even swap roles...

sw16girl
10-12-2017, 08:31 PM
??
The post above yours is clearly a reaction to many posts suggesting we are already down.
Down with encouraging posts and pre conceived ideas. More thoughtless reaction is just what the BBS needs.

I'd just like him to actually react to what is said sometimes- and this is of course intended as a positive thread as I start it to counter all those people running round after about 8 games claiming we are down already and that every match is a six pointer. I just think his brand of optimism would be more appreciated if he actually engaged - or maybe it is just me that he ignores and never replies to.

hdeagle
11-12-2017, 11:44 AM
It is not a blight against you SW16 girl that I don't reply directly to your posts but the fact is that you do not insult me like some of the negative cretins that plague the BBS and literally have nothing good to say about the club that they claim to support.

They resort to abuse and childish emotes in their replies to me which only shows their ignorance.

What gets me is that many of them do not even go to Palace games and seem to lap it up when we are struggling or not winning games.

It is at these times that the fans need to show their support and not just when the team are doing well.

Thankfully they are very much in the minority and are not a true reflection on the Palace fans that give such admirable support at Palace matches home and away.

COYP

palacelad197o
11-12-2017, 12:01 PM
Paddy maybe/doubtful but not Mick,he must be 103.We like em old

ee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o
11-12-2017, 02:49 PM
Statistically we have gained more points from the last 5 games than any of the other teams in the bottom 10. So, there's a positive.

palacelad197o
11-12-2017, 08:47 PM
Statistically we have gained more points from the last 5 games than any of the other teams in the bottom 10. So, there's a positive.

The last 5 form table

https://s33.postimg.org/xqw9x5czz/Screenshot-2017-12-11_ENGLAND_Premier_League.png

Bankerhater1
11-12-2017, 09:27 PM
Um .... Bournemouth drew their last game - surely shome mishtake ...... Hic! Isn't that at least a game out of date?

ps - Forgot this .... :-)

Bankerhater1
11-12-2017, 09:30 PM
Here we go ....

Premier League Form Guide
Team Last Six (oldest first) PTS
1 Manchester City WWWWWW 18
2 Liverpool WWDWWD 14
3 Chelsea WWDWWL 13
4 Manchester United LWWWWL 12
5 Burnley WWLWLW 12
6 Leicester City DLDWWW 11
7 Everton WDLWWD 11
8 Arsenal LWWWLD 10
9 Bournemouth WWDLDD 9
10 Tottenham Hotspur WLDLDW 8
11 Watford LWWLDL 7
12 Crystal Palace LDWDDD 7
13 Huddersfield Town WLLLLW 6
14 Stoke City DDLLWL 5
15 Southampton LLWLDD 5
16 Brighton & Hove Albion WDLDLL 5
17 Swansea City LLDLLW 4
18 West Ham United LLDLLW 4
19 West Bromwich Albion LLDDDL 3
20 Newcastle United LLLDLL 1

Bipe
11-12-2017, 09:49 PM
I think the original table is correct, most recent result shown on the left which is slightly counterintuitive.

Interesting to note that Man City, Liverpool and little old us are the only three teams not to have suffered any losses in their last five games!

Louis
11-12-2017, 09:59 PM
That's encouraging. Although our last 5 games have been against bottom half sides: Bournemouth, West Brom, Brighton, Stoke, Everton

Joe.L
11-12-2017, 11:08 PM
As already stated in this thread we have used up far too many of the 'easier' home games and not won when we really should have. I think I'm right in saying we have only played one home game against a top half team so would be relying heavily on our away form to have any chance of staying up, and we haven't even scored away from home yet! I'm not giving up completely but it's certainly starting to look unlikely that we will get out of the s**t this time.

Ooh Betty
11-12-2017, 11:21 PM

Ffs..these are our 'must win' games on our 'easy run before xmas'

We appear not to be winning any of them.

Statistically you are barking mad.

ardeo
12-12-2017, 08:47 AM
I don't see why we can't beat the top half teams at home, for the last four years we've struggled to beat the bottom half at home anyway, so not sure why people think it's disastrous we haven't won those games again this year.

Bankerhater1
12-12-2017, 10:52 AM
Aha!!! Oops ... I must admit that half of me says "Picking up points, good ..." - whilst the other half says "Dropped points via stupid mistakes ..". My worry is that unless we can get on some sort of run of winning form, this will not be enough ... although at least we're back in the "pack" now ..... I suppose that statistically, that is all nonsense however ..! 21 games left = 63 points ..... Man city still to play once .... so 60 points available .... Righto I'll try and sober up now!!

sw16girl
12-12-2017, 02:21 PM
It is not a blight against you SW16 girl that I don't reply directly to your posts but the fact is that you do not insult me like some of the negative cretins that plague the BBS and literally have nothing good to say about the club that they claim to support.

They resort to abuse and childish emotes in their replies to me which only shows their ignorance.

What gets me is that many of them do not even go to Palace games and seem to lap it up when we are struggling or not winning games.

It is at these times that the fans need to show their support and not just when the team are doing well.

Thankfully they are very much in the minority and are not a true reflection on the Palace fans that give such admirable support at Palace matches home and away.

COYP

Thanks for your reply - I do think that you are hard on fans that may question what is happening on here - they are in many cases the same ones cheering for the team on the pitch but may want to discuss worries and concerns - not all but a fair number. Being a pessimist does not make you a bad fan just a more gloomy one.

BillyTKid
12-12-2017, 02:33 PM
On the sky app it says that we lost the most premier league games in 2016 (22) and have so far lost the most in 2017 (20). What a slog it has been over the last couple of years.

Bankerhater1
12-12-2017, 02:50 PM
And ... "Palace are unbeaten in their last five league games, but have drawn four of them.
They could equal their Premier League club record of six consecutive home fixtures unbeaten, set between February and April 1993." BBC w/site ...

greybot
12-12-2017, 03:13 PM
Sakho out is a huge blow for our survival hopes.

GreatGonzo
12-12-2017, 04:07 PM
We had 16 points after 19 games last season. A win and 2 draws from our next 3 gives us identical figures, 2 wins and a defeat puts us ahead of last year.

At the end of the January window we will have played 25 games (9 more) and last season we had 19 points at that stage. To match it we need 8pts from 9 games. (Oh yeah and to go on a run of 6 wins 1 draw and 1 defeat in 8 games ;))

The Vicar
12-12-2017, 04:32 PM

yes it is, hope Dann and Tomkins stay fit

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
12-12-2017, 06:10 PM
Yep, massive. With the injury problems Tomkins has and Dann's lack of form (he seems to struggle with niggles too) it could the most significant blow from Saturday and may well be one we don't recover from. Dann and Tomkins have never looked secure as a pairing even when they are both fit.

davemorris04
12-12-2017, 09:08 PM
We’re not getting out of it this time. All the damage was done in that farcical summer.

Tim
12-12-2017, 09:12 PM
Yep, massive. With the injury problems Tomkins has and Dann's lack of form (he seems to struggle with niggles too) it could the most significant blow from Saturday and may well be one we don't recover from. Dann and Tomkins have never looked secure as a pairing even when they are both fit.

Don’t worry, we’ve still got Kelly & Delaney!

sw16girl
12-12-2017, 11:55 PM
Well a win keeps us on track - it was close (like Stoke) but we seem to have turned in to the team that doesn't give in and just carried on to the end and nicks it by sheer effort which is really refreshing.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
13-12-2017, 12:18 AM
I'll admit it, after 87 minutes I was completely giving up on the season. Now... who knows.

It is baffling though, the two recent wins we have played poorly and we have failed to win the ones we've played well in. Strange, strange season so far.

martin.cpfc
13-12-2017, 12:56 PM
We’re not getting out of it this time. All the damage was done in that farcical summer.

That's the spirit! :wallbash:

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
13-12-2017, 01:04 PM
Very tough run of fixtures coming up, especially at home, we need to start getting some wins (let's start with a goal) away from home.
So it still looks tough to me - a lot of very big performances and results still needed. A win last night was necessary just to stay in it in my opinion (and we somehow dug it out)

hdeagle
13-12-2017, 01:21 PM
Palace now unbeaten in their last 6 games and putting their terrible start behind them are now just 4 points off of the top 10 and within striking distance of many teams that are in worse form including Brighton who are just 3 points ahead of us.

Many of these teams are tonight playing against top teams and hopefully many will get beaten by them and their goal difference will suffer.

Palace's improved form has really turned up the heat on a number of teams and their under pressure managers.

COYP

Reg_Maudling
13-12-2017, 01:24 PM
Palace now unbeaten in their last 6 games and putting their terrible start behind them are now just 4 points off of the top 10 and within striking distance of many teams that are in worse form including Brighton who are just 3 points ahead of us.

Many of these teams are tonight playing against top teams and hopefully many will get beaten by them and their goal difference will suffer.

Palace's improved form has really turned up the heat on a number of teams and their under pressure managers.

COYP

You are right about our form it stands out from all the others down at the bottom

HD, do you think we can avoid relegation? I think we can but it's still going to be tough

Excowboy
13-12-2017, 01:29 PM
If we can get four points out of our next two games, we'll be almost averaging a point a game halfway through the season - that'll mean we only need a slight improvement in the second half of the season to get near 40 points.

The other slight cause for optimism is we now have only the fourth worst goal difference in the league!

Zohar's Penalty
13-12-2017, 01:31 PM
Last night was massive as we should now be in touch come the new year.

I think we will go a bit mental in January with reinforcements. The Yanks don't want us going down. Will spend similar to last year, but I actually trust Roy's judgement more than Sam's. Imagine we will splash out on a striker, goalkeeper and centre back as cover as prospect of Kelly or Delaney is a bit worrying.

clockhouse
13-12-2017, 01:32 PM
It’s conceivable, likely even, that all of the bottom 10 teams except us could lose in this round of fixtures. Can’t remember a set of fixtures where the top ten play the bottom ten.

SussexRed&Blue
13-12-2017, 01:38 PM
Tough fixtures to come at home.

Sometimes it is easier though to work chances against the big boys who will come out and go for the win.

See it as a challenge to raise our game like we did last season against Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool.

We have certainly given ourselves a chance our run in doesn't look that bad compared to the likes of Brighton who finish with Man Utd at home and Liverpool away!

Just need to keep improving make a couple of additions in the January window and maybe we will be ok.

hdeagle
13-12-2017, 01:57 PM
I have always been of the belief that Palace would put their awful start behind them once our key players returned from injury and that has been the case as our best first team is not a relegation side.

It was difficult enough having to play top clubs away from home but when you factor in just how many of our key players missed those games then you can see that we were on a hiding to nothing and so it proved.

I still think that there is more to come from our returning players and some are not yet up to speed and may have needed longer to recover but are playing through necessity.

A club of Palace's limited resources due to FFP really are affected by an injury crisis and we cannot afford to have like for like replacements like clubs with bigger incomes can.

Palace are not a poor club but our spending is restricted by our relatively low club generated income and this will be the case until the Selhurst Park capacity can be increased thus raising our spending limit on player wages.

COYP

dmf73
13-12-2017, 02:04 PM
After 16 games last season we had 15 points.

We are only one off that. We lost our 17th game so if we win at Leicester on Saturday we will be ahead of last season.

alanlee11
13-12-2017, 02:09 PM
many of the teams around us will have been sickened by our comeback last night

Palacebear
13-12-2017, 02:10 PM
Our away performances need to drastically improve, we’ve not even scored an away goal yet.

Hopefully we can pick up a point at Leicester and then batter Swansea.

Glɑzier
13-12-2017, 02:34 PM
many of the teams around us will have been sickened by our comeback last night

Great! I was getting fed up of us being sickened by others' results week after week for the first third of the season or so. About time we shared that pain :p

MFBias
13-12-2017, 02:37 PM
I have always been of the belief that Palace would put their awful start behind them once our key players returned from injury and that has been the case as our best first team is not a relegation side.

It was difficult enough having to play top clubs away from home but when you factor in just how many of our key players missed those games then you can see that we were on a hiding to nothing and so it proved.

I still think that there is more to come from our returning players and some are not yet up to speed and may have needed longer to recover but are playing through necessity.

A club of Palace's limited resources due to FFP really are affected by an injury crisis and we cannot afford to have like for like replacements like clubs with bigger incomes can.

Palace are not a poor club but our spending is restricted by our relatively low club generated income and this will be the case until the Selhurst Park capacity can be increased thus raising our spending limit on player wages.

COYP

Add to all that a Clown as a manager for pre-season and first 4 games, he can score nice goals in training though.

palace910
13-12-2017, 02:41 PM
Was hoping to get 17 points by Jan. One more win would do that, so ether Leceister or Swansea away would be good! Both would be amazing, but would take 1 win. Preferably Swansea! And who knows about Arsenal at home, we did them last year.

However I'm a Palace fan and know we won't do it the easy way, the January window is massive for us. Hopefully Dougie has done his homework!

CPFC.1990
13-12-2017, 02:41 PM

COYP

Results have improved, but our performance is the problem. We were second best last night. Mahrez is going to rip us apart if we play like last night.

Don't see how on earth you could possibly look up the table based on last night, unless of course you didn't see us play in 90 mins and only saw the result.

Roadblock
13-12-2017, 03:11 PM
Results have improved, but our performance is the problem. We were second best last night. Mahrez is going to rip us apart if we play like last night.

Don't see how on earth you could possibly look up the table based on last night, unless of course you didn't see us play in 90 mins and only saw the result.

Yes, but you're disregarding the other teams. There will be times where just like us they play badly and win, or play well and drop points. As we've already seen this season, our performances range from the sublime to the ridiculous but performances don't really matter, only the results. As Roy said, you don't get what you deserve you get what you get.

MARK PALACE TILL I DIE
13-12-2017, 03:14 PM
I have done my own for the past 6 games. I have us only picking up 1 more point in December but still reaching 39 Points. It still looks very very realistic to me and I am a long way from giving up hope especially if we get a few good players in the Jan Window. I will also predict that the Shirt-Lifters and Huddersfield will get dragged into the dog fight in the New-Year.

FourtyTwo
13-12-2017, 03:17 PM
I'd be happy if we beat Swansea, even if we get nothing from Leicester.

Conversely, I wouldn't be as happy if we beat Leicester and then lost to Swansea.

Hopefully we beat both!

alanlee11
13-12-2017, 03:32 PM

we were playing a very good team last night. Always so keen to focus on just our team, there are another 11 players on the pitch too who have an impact on the game!

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
13-12-2017, 03:32 PM
Agree that our next few games are vitally important, especially Swansea. We know we need to buy and want to look like an attractive proposition in January, or at the very least a side with a fighting chance of survival. Such a shame we will miss Sakho for these games.

Eric the Ginga
13-12-2017, 03:38 PM
This is Palace. We all know what happens against Swansea.

PALACEWU
13-12-2017, 03:44 PM
This is Palace. We all know what happens against Swansea.

Yarp. It's brilliant isn't it. :eek: and we'll beat man city by 2 clear goals.

Bungalow
13-12-2017, 03:45 PM
I think about 36 pts will be enough to stay up this year

ebyeeckeagle
13-12-2017, 04:03 PM
I'd be happy if we beat Swansea, even if we get nothing from Leicester.

Conversely, I wouldn't be as happy if we beat Leicester and then lost to Swansea.

Hopefully we beat both!

I think Leicester are a really decent team. A point would be a bonus. Swansea have matched us for looking awful but not matched our good displays.

Swoonara
13-12-2017, 04:09 PM

Up until last night, up the table was the only way we could look:p

Jacko1
13-12-2017, 04:13 PM
Be over the moon if we lose to Leicester but beat Swansea.

We cannot lose to Swansea. If you offered it to me now i'd even take 2 draws to be honest.

Always had it in my head we need to get to Jan firmly in the mix, get a few players in, then go from there.

Stockport_Eagle
13-12-2017, 04:17 PM
We have no chance against Swansea, simply none. They beat us 100 times out of 100. May as well rest a few for the Arsenal game.

Need to nick another win on Saturday at Leicester to be on 17 points and not bottom at Christmas.

Reg_Maudling
13-12-2017, 04:23 PM
Leicester on a good run with three straight wins are onw of the form teams so I hope they lose tonight

CPFC.1990
13-12-2017, 04:25 PM
we were playing a very good team last night. Always so keen to focus on just our team, there are another 11 players on the pitch too who have an impact on the game!

Watford did not make us look bad, we did that ourselves. Watford were streets ahead of us in terms of ability but that doesn't excuse the basic errors a number of our players made last night.

Celestial Empire
13-12-2017, 04:33 PM
There will be lots of dodgy football and surprise results over the next few weeks. Smaller Prem clubs can't easily sustain two games a week, let alone the loony Christmas programme.
If Conti thinks his players are tired now, let's see what he thinks of Christmas.:)
Just pray for an abatement of our injury list, and that we are on the right side of some "surprise" results. ;)

SussexRed&Blue
13-12-2017, 04:52 PM
If we get a draw at Leicester that would be a great result.

Swansea ideally a win but they are a real bogey side to us so not overly confident with that. Brilliant we won last night to take some of the pressure off.

eddieskyclad
13-12-2017, 05:05 PM
Results have improved, but our performance is the problem. We were second best last night. Mahrez is going to rip us apart if we play like last night.Since the start of September we've been the better team in most of the matches we've played. Interestingly we won both games where the opposition were clearly better than us...

We were the better team vs.
Chelsea
Newcastle
West Ham
Spurs
Everton
Bournemouth

It was about even vs.
Brighton
West Brom

Ok they were better than us but we dug in and got 3 points
Watford
Stoke

minch1
14-12-2017, 01:13 AM
You have to say we are consistent. We have the same Number of points after 17 games that we had last season. The difference is last season we got 7 of them in the first 4 games. But thanks to Frank this year we got zero. But for him we would have been much further up the table.

alanlee11
14-12-2017, 01:42 AM
Only issue is the way our fixtures are spread. We have very few "easier " home games left. Without an away goal, let alone win, it is still very likely we will go down.

Far East Eagle
14-12-2017, 04:37 AM
Only issue is the way our fixtures are spread. We have very few "easier " home games left. Without an away goal, let alone win, it is still very likely we will go down.

Just wait for this weekend mate, away goal is coming #BackTheSak

Far East Eagle
14-12-2017, 04:41 AM
You have to say we are consistent. We have the same Number of points after 17 games that we had last season. The difference is last season we got 7 of them in the first 4 games. But thanks to Frank this year we got zero. But for him we would have been much further up the table.

We had 28 at this stage under Pardew didn't we? How did the rest of that season go?:D

dmf73
14-12-2017, 07:23 AM
Have just had a look and if the season had started when Roy took over we would be 11th.

sydnsteve
14-12-2017, 10:11 AM
SW16 girl that looks a reasonable suggestion on outcomes. If only we hadn't ****ed up those early, winnable games. Also a shame leicester have suddenly started playing like world beaters!

Psych
14-12-2017, 10:39 AM

Perhaps - but didn’t Burnley stay up last season through their home form? And didn’t they only win one away game last season (against us I believe)?

hdeagle
14-12-2017, 10:43 AM
There are now a lot of teams just ahead of us that are in far worse form than us :

West Brom
Newcastle
Stoke
Brighton
Bournemouth
Huddersfield

Many of these teams got off to good starts and are now floundering and could never have imagined how rapidly their form has declined.

Palace gave these teams a massive head start but now we have them in our sights and their loss of form has coincided with ours improving and we have a very good chance of overtaking them soon if we can keep on picking up points and they continue to struggle.

COYP

swissroll
14-12-2017, 10:56 AM
Take Swansea out of the equation and I cant see any real favourites for the other 2 relegations positions. Huddersfield are slumping but one won in next couple of games gets them to half way points amount that usually sees survival. Stoke really ought to be doing better, Brom might be getting the Pardew bounce after the Liverpool draw, WHam have had 2 really good results last 2, Bournemouth are always good for goals and so on - plus one of those teams will be hiring Pullis in the next few weeks (Swansea probably)

bubbs11
14-12-2017, 11:02 AM
The three promoted clubs will be pooping themselves. They’re fast getting sucked in having all had decent starts and probably thinking they had a good chance of survival.

Huddersfield have scored the same as us, baring in mind we gave them a 7 game start and haven’t scored away yet. Crazy to think Swansea have scored less than us. The worry for me is if Pulis goes there.

hdeagle
14-12-2017, 11:26 AM
Newcastle have won 1 point out of their last 24
Brighton have only won 2 points out of their last 18
Huddersfield have only won 3 points out of their last 18

Palace have won 10 points out of their last 18.

https://www.twtd.co.uk/league-tables/competition:premier-league/form/matches:6/type:home-and-away

Martin H
14-12-2017, 11:54 AM
Can't count how many times I have watched Wilf's mazy run for the second goal - it is truly amazing to watch. Ridiculous :D

LDNEAGLE
14-12-2017, 11:59 AM
I reckon 6 wins and we're safe.

5 plus scraping a few draws against the big boys could also work.

delboy01
14-12-2017, 12:04 PM
We should be aiming at 37+

This season there are around 10 teams who will be fighting to avoid the drop.

Dave McGregor
14-12-2017, 12:06 PM
There are now 10 teams (i.e. half the premier league) covered by 6 points. We have done so well to get back in the mix. A number of those teams are on a downward spiral. At least one team traditionally drops like a stone. BHA/Huddersfield/Newcastle/Stoke anyone?

aj4england
14-12-2017, 12:20 PM
If we could get something at Leicester it would be massive. Even a 1-1 draw, get the away goal hoodoo of us and then go to Swansea with them knowing they need to win. With Swansea playing this monday they could be between 3 and 5 points from safety all of a sudden come their game.

Happy Arthur
14-12-2017, 12:23 PM

If the wins are against our rivals.

wrightchipvcfc
14-12-2017, 12:23 PM
Prob about 9 teams who won't feel safe some will throw money at it to help there fight for survival w ham Newcastle maybe even Brighton. so window will be important time if we can be on 17 18 points at half way stage we got a chance keeping wilf fit is key

FourtyTwo
14-12-2017, 12:38 PM

Doesn't that, by default, mean we have had the "harder" away games, and therefore have the "easier" ones to come?

After the Arsenal game, everyone will have played everyone at least once, with the anomaly of a second round of matches against one team already having happened. As good as a win on Saturday would be, it is far more important to win at Swansea the week after, having already gifted them the customary 3 points at Selhurst. But, after Arsenal, you should get a balanced view of where everyone is, as the teams played will be (bar one match) the same for everyone.

Ooh Betty
14-12-2017, 01:07 PM

Cloud cuckoo land

swissroll
14-12-2017, 01:12 PM
Reality is 4 of the next 5 games are very tough for us to get anything. Leicester would be nice to get anything, so Swansea will be as close as you can get to a must win and January we are going to have to start scoring and winning away from home

GreatGonzo
14-12-2017, 01:12 PM
Cloud cuckoo land

6 wins would need to be accompanied by 5 draws, or 7 wins and 2 draws.

McpfcS
14-12-2017, 01:17 PM
Cloud cuckoo land

Why? You think we'll need more or rather that we won't achieve 5-6 wins?

GreatGonzo
14-12-2017, 01:19 PM
Why? You think we'll need more or rather that we won't achieve 5-6 wins?

6 wins on their own of 5 and 3 draws would put us on 32 points. Highly unlikely that will be enough.

McpfcS
14-12-2017, 01:21 PM
There are now 10 teams (i.e. half the premier league) covered by 6 points. We have done so well to get back in the mix. A number of those teams are on a downward spiral. At least one team traditionally drops like a stone. BHA/Huddersfield/Newcastle/Stoke anyone?

Very unlikely all the promoted teams will stay up. Still every chance all three will go down.

McpfcS
14-12-2017, 01:23 PM
6 wins on their own of 5 and 3 draws would put us on 32 points. Highly unlikely that will be enough.

9 wins and 10 draws in total will likely be sufficient. We are on course for 10 draws.

SOUTHGATE EAGLE
14-12-2017, 01:23 PM
Time to drop Benteke for the away games? Extra man in midfield for us and more mobile. Need to do something to get away wins, although we are improving there too and we have already played the two hardest away games of the season.

SussexRed&Blue
14-12-2017, 01:32 PM
Got to be aiming for at least 40 points. 7 more wins (4 at home 3 away) and 5 more draws.

Points total required could be lower but the teams expected to struggle got off to good starts.

Hopefully there will be one team that drops like a stone to make it a bit easier. At this stage i would say Swansea, Brighton and Huddersfield. The teams that struggle to score goals will be in the mix.

Although Newcastle really struggling at the moment a lot will depend on whether they get taken over and what business they do in the January window.

GreatGonzo
14-12-2017, 01:53 PM
Last year at the halfway point Boro have 18 points and were 4 clear of relegation. Year before Norwich had 20 points and were 3 clear of relegation.

Whole bottom half are still all in it.

McpfcS
14-12-2017, 01:53 PM
Last year at the halfway point Boro have 18 points and were 4 clear of relegation. Year before Norwich had 20 points and were 3 clear of relegation.

Whole bottom half are still all in it.

Absolutely

BringbackShipps
14-12-2017, 02:02 PM
For me we should be aiming to take points from the next game, it's as simple as that. All of this 'need to do this' and 'need to do that' I just don't get, every team in the bottom half will be looking at their fixtures wondering where the points will come from and putting more and more pressure on themselves as a result. The reality is we have to take more points than 3 other teams around us and given how we've reeled in the pack I'm confident we can do it. Won't be easy, but we've got the players and got the experience, so let those that don't worry about us. The late points we keep taking are just as damaging for them mentally as they are positive for us too. Old cliche but one game at a time.

SussexRed&Blue
14-12-2017, 02:24 PM
For me we should be aiming to take points from the next game, it's as simple as that. All of this 'need to do this' and 'need to do that' I just don't get, every team in the bottom half will be looking at their fixtures wondering where the points will come from and putting more and more pressure on themselves as a result. The reality is we have to take more points than 3 other teams around us and given how we've reeled in the pack I'm confident we can do it. Won't be easy, but we've got the players and got the experience, so let those that don't worry about us. The late points we keep taking are just as damaging for them mentally as they are positive for us too. Old cliche but one game at a time.

Very true like last season the so called "must win" games we generally lost at home and then we went out and beat Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool to save our skin. You just never can poinpoint where the points are going to come from.

No game should be a write off we just need to be competitive in all of them although the fixture timing from the Man City game to the Southampton game is not favourable.

RAB
14-12-2017, 02:26 PM
There was talk in the Swansea v City commentary last night that City will have the League wrapped up by February. If so, City may play youth players in league matches, keeping their first team and squad for the Champions League to keep their main players fresh and fit.

City play Palace on the last day of the year and before that date are due to play Bournemouth and Newcastle.

City are due to play Brighton in March, Swansea and West Ham in April and Huddersfield in May.

If City did field youth players against relegation rivals because they had already won the League, it would not be fair on the clubs who had faced City's strongest players and I hope that any club that felt adversely affected by this, including being relegated, took the Premier League to Court.

eagles #1
14-12-2017, 02:33 PM
There was talk in the Swansea v City commentary last night that City will have the League wrapped up by February. If so, City may play youth players in league matches, keeping their first team and squad for the Champions League to keep their main players fresh and fit.

City play Palace on the last day of the year and before that date are due to play Bournemouth and Newcastle.

City are due to play Brighton in March, Swansea and West Ham in April and Huddersfield in May.

If City did field youth players against relegation rivals because they had already won the League, it would not be fair on the clubs who had faced City's strongest players and I hope that any club that felt adversely affected by this, including being relegated, took the Premier League to Court.
Pretty sure the premier league will take a grim view if they played their youth in the final months.

They'll probably rotate the senior players. But when you have Toure, Jesus, B.Silva, Gundogan, Danilo etc to rotate in....It's not exactly weakening the team.

eddieskyclad
14-12-2017, 02:43 PM

If City did field youth players against relegation rivals because they had already won the League, it would not be fair on the clubs who had faced City's strongest players and I hope that any club that felt adversely affected by this, including being relegated, took the Premier League to Court.Did us a lot of good vs. Manchester United last season...

andyocpfc
14-12-2017, 03:05 PM
Did us a lot of good vs. Manchester United last season...

Indeed - along with the fact that our team were on the f—King beach too. A few thousand Palace fans travelled circa 500 miles in the hope we would finally be able to get a result against the team that’s continually over the years broken our hearts and stuck the boot in!

Whilst the result in the grand scheme of things didn’t matter, it pissed me off and I ended up getting pissed in the city centre in disgust (I probably would have got pissed either way tbf).

Psych
14-12-2017, 05:39 PM

A lot of ‘ifs’ there - I’d also imagine they’d want to keep playing their top players to maintain match fitness? Although as someone else as said, they could rotate squad and still have a killer team...

Yogya
14-12-2017, 10:58 PM
U

Robson
14-12-2017, 11:02 PM

City won't have it wrapped up by February, that's just hype. Even when the Arsenal 'Unbeatables' won the league it took them until April to seal it. City will go through a rough patch sure enough.

davech
14-12-2017, 11:21 PM
City won't have it wrapped up by February, that's just hype. Even when the Arsenal 'Unbeatables' won the league it took them until April to seal it. City will go through a rough patch sure enough.

..... starting on 30th December :D. F*ck Oasis - We need to play Glad All Over at Volume 11!

ChiswickEagle
14-12-2017, 11:46 PM

Read this...

City could lose not only on Saturday but also at Anfield, the Emirates Stadium and Wembley, and Manchester United would still have to avoid defeat against City and win their other 20 games this season to secure the title.

swissroll
15-12-2017, 04:22 PM

If we follow the calculator we will likely be 19th or 20th 1st week of Jan so I would like to see another point somewhere in the above and not only do we have to beat Swansea, it means scoring an away goal or two.

chrisophiex
15-12-2017, 07:03 PM
An away goal ? Next you'll want the moon on a stick !

bubbs11
16-12-2017, 09:26 AM
One win in our next two games and we’ll have more points than we did last season at the halfway stage.

After the start we had that is staggering.

RAB
16-12-2017, 02:40 PM
6 more wins.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
16-12-2017, 03:58 PM
Didn't see today's performance or result coming. Such a shame Benteke misses next week after that game. With the tough fixtures to come we really have to hope to get something next weekend. At least Luka and hopefully Ward will be available.

Still think we have to really keep our fingers crossed that players stay fit though.

Stockport_Eagle
16-12-2017, 09:05 PM
One win in our next two games and we’ll have more points than we did last season at the halfway stage.

After the start we had that is staggering.
Not that staggering really, we were awful last year too, so much so that Pardew waa about to be sacked.

Miklemoose
17-12-2017, 09:36 AM
Looking at the run of games we're going into, beating Swansea is going to be very important.

From their perspective, getting beat would feel like they are dead & buried. If they win though, they're right back in the mix.

Ooh Betty
17-12-2017, 09:41 AM
Looking at the run of games we're going into, beating Swansea is going to be very important.

From their perspective, getting beat would feel like they are dead & buried. If they win though, they're right back in the mix.

Beaten

sw16girl
17-12-2017, 09:46 AM
So 2 ahead now and a confidence boosting away win, even a draw against Swansea will see us going into our hard run on schedule. And playing like that, the bad run coming up doesn't look so daunting either with plenty of opportunities to pick up extra points.