PDA

View Full Version : Part 4: Mike Gatting vs Shakoor Rana

elliott
07-08-2003, 01:02 PM
What happened here then when Shakoor Rana decided to become yet another biased Pakistani umpire

CHE
07-08-2003, 10:10 PM
Don't remember exactly, but I think Rana accused Gatting of continually changing the field while bowlers were in the course of their run-ups. He then started no-balling the bowlers for this from square leg, at which point Gatting blew his top.

I don't think it ever became clear what Gatting actually said, but Rana said he would not be spoken to in that manner and refused to take the field the next day, and other Pakistani umpires said they would not replace him.

Gatting eventually scrawled a two line apology, on a scrap of paper. It looked like something a schoolboy would write. He maintains that he never swore at Rana.

I am sure I have missed or embellished bits somewhere along the line, but that was the crux of it, I think!

Gatecrasher
08-08-2003, 01:57 AM
I can't remember exactly either, but I thought that it was all precipitated by Chris Broad's refusal to walk after being given out. Broad played and missed and was given out caught behind. The replay clearly showed that his bat was a country mile away from the ball. Broad stood his ground for about a minute before being talked into going off by his batting partner - I think it was Graham Gooch.

I've read that Gatting either said to Rana that he was a 'shit awful umpire' or a ' cheating ' but I guess only those two really know.

Grim Reaper
08-08-2003, 04:38 AM
I read about this in a book just a couple of months ago. It was at the end of a day's play (Day Two I think) and England were in a great position in the match. As the bowler was running in Gatting signalled for one of his players to change fielding position BEHIND the batsman. This was the key to everything as Rana's stance was that this was cheating as the batsman didn't know about it. There then followed the famous finger pointing etc.

Day Three was a non-event as both umpire and Gatting refused to budge. Can't remember if the match ever got restarted but I know it ended in a draw in the end.

I've often believed Rana was happy for it to not get resolved as Pakistan got away with a draw that had looked unlikely at that point.

KYLIE MINEAGLE
08-08-2003, 06:36 AM
Remember a lot of finger wagging and Gatting clearly saying ' One rule for them another for us." Rana then said he would not stand unless Gatting apologised in writing. Gatting ropped a page from a note book and scribbled something short like" I apologise " Mike Gatting.
This is all grist to the mill in Pakistan go back over the years before neutral umpires and see how many Pakistani players were ever out LBW.I think you will find not a lot.

El Aguila
08-08-2003, 07:01 AM
Wasn't this the incident which made neutral umpires inevitable? Rather sad.

Thatch
08-08-2003, 07:04 AM
Bill Lawry was never given out LBW in a Test in Australia - correct???

KYLIE MINEAGLE
08-08-2003, 07:22 AM
I dunno mate I'm a Pom.But he probably was and refused to walk.

Thin on Top
08-08-2003, 07:48 AM
Remember the famous six to win incident between New Zealand and South Africa, where the Aussie capt. (think it was greig) told the bowler to bowl underarm ?

Now there's cheating for you !

KYLIE MINEAGLE
08-08-2003, 07:52 AM
This is on another thread coincidentally.

James Varcoe
08-08-2003, 08:24 AM
Javed was not given out LBW in a home Test Match until his 65th innings

Oz_da_Eagle
08-08-2003, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by Thin on Top
Remember the famous six to win incident between New Zealand and South Africa, where the Aussie capt. (think it was greig) told the bowler to bowl underarm ?

Now there's cheating for you !

Greg Chappel not Tony Greig :confused:

Whilst very unsporting and terrible behaviour the underarm debacle was not cheating.

Ben H
08-08-2003, 02:48 PM
Wouldn't it be easier to hit a 6 from an underarm?

Steve M
08-08-2003, 03:06 PM
The ball was rolled along the ground, I believe

kolinkins
08-08-2003, 03:29 PM
imran khan was one of the strongest campaigners for neutral umpires. though, i have to say, gatting was out of line. he would not have reacted that way if the same umpiring decision had been made by an aussie or an englishman.

Oz_da_Eagle
08-08-2003, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by kolinkins
he would not have reacted that way if the same umpiring decision had been made by an aussie or an englishman.

I can next to gurantee that the same umpiring decision(s) would not have been made by an English or Aussie umpire. Gattings reaction was a build up of constant and blatant poor umpiring "decisions" through out the tour of Pakistan. The Pakistan umpires of the seventies and eighties were quite well known for their "home town" decisions.

Never thought I'd see the day of myself sticking up for an English cricket captain ;)

ElwissAtMemphis
07-10-2003, 12:44 AM
If you read "It's Not Cricket" by Simon Rae in explains the Shakoor Rana incident in detail; I've lent my copy out so I can't check but from memory I think explanations above are about right. England were also angry that the Pakistani TV turned up the stump microphones to catch what all the players were saying. Bill Athey was heard to say "the sooner we get out of this f***ing country, the better" which didn't go down too well amongst the local population.

Either Gatting or Rana accused the other (and possibly both) of calling the other a c**t which they both denied later whihc was what the lost day's play was about as both refused to apologize claiming they'd done nothing wrong.

Men At Work
07-10-2003, 01:38 AM
Originally posted by Thatch
Bill Lawry was never given out LBW in a Test in Australia - correct???

True. He was dismissed 50 times at home and never given out LBW. Being left-handed may have had something to do with it. Or perhaps his nose obstructed the umpire's view :) He was bowled quite a few times which is a bit unusual for an opener.