PDA

View Full Version : Palace v Leicester: Report

Ian Hart
02-11-2000, 04:29 AM
As I don't live as far south as most, I suspect I'm one of the first home, and I can tell those unlucky enough to miss it that Palace were an absolute revelation tonight. There's no doubt that from the very first minute they were absolutely intent on working their socks off, and playing as a team. The 3 players who have been put on the transfer list were particularly impressive in their determination.

Perhaps the most impressive thing of all was that there were hardly any hopeful long balls played all night until the last 10 minutes when they began holding what they had. All night long they were intent on playing short, intricate passing movements. It was hard to believe it was Palace we were watching.

In the centre of the defence Austin and Smith (yes, little Smith) protected their goal all night with calm assurance, and Mullins and Harrison were safe along side them. When the first goal came it was certainly not against the run of play. A flick on at the near post (I think by Austin) and Morrison rose at the far post to head in. There was the odd scare, but nothing too drastic, before Thompson scored a brilliant second. After a passing movement of great patience, he eventually got the ball 25 yards out with his back to goal, spun and hit a stunner.

We assumed Leicester would come at us more in the second half, (especiaslly as they brought on Elliot and Izzet at half time) but a goal even better than Thompson's killed them off. Rubens went on a mazy dribble through the centre, and again from around 25 yards hit a stunning curler into the top corner.

After that, Leicester threw caution to the wind, but despite the odd fright - one in particular kicked off the line - never loked as if they would get back in the game. A great, great performance.

John 24
02-11-2000, 04:34 AM
Cheers Ian

I had SO much work to do tonight that I couldn't even listen to it on the radio. It sounds like it was a great performance and I hope it's a start of things to come. I can't believe that we comfortably beat Leicester. Well done Palace and well done to all the fans who made it up there.

Ian Hart
02-11-2000, 04:57 AM
One correction from my report. My daughter say it was Harrison who nodded it across goal for the first, and I need glasses. On reflection, I think she's right on both counts.

As I'm writing, I must say that Smith got his tactics spot on tonight. He left Morrison upfield as a sole striker, and had five across the midfield, from where Carlisle and Rubens tried to join Morrison as often as possible. The midfield did a great job all night, stifling Leicester, and working a number of excellent passing movements. Also, with his normal central defenders missing, he must have been tempted to play Mullins there, but kept him at right back. He completely played Guppy out of the game and this is DEFINITELY his best position.

Finally, to the unknown lady who kept throwing her arms around me and embracing each time Palace scored, thanks.

[This message has been edited by Ian Hart (edited 02 November 2000).]

lightweight
02-11-2000, 05:42 AM
just back - still stunned by an amazing performance - totally unexpected - both the result and the way the lads played.

Brilliant http://www.cpfc.org/ubb/smile.gif

AJ
02-11-2000, 06:08 AM
Thanks for the report. I spent the game (well most of it) in the BBS Latest Score section and it was tense, but, exciting.. I think at last count over 25 pages of it.

It's always nice to win, especially with good goals, good performance and against a team that should have hammered us!

Gladys Allover
02-11-2000, 06:08 AM
Just back too, left my voice at Filbert Street and hope that this is a proper dawn, as I can't wait to see them play like that again.......the best 10 spent in ages!!

Glaws Eagle
02-11-2000, 12:51 PM
Well,

It could have been five.

Can't see what all the problem is with this Premiership stuff.

CPFC Cheerleader Observer
02-11-2000, 02:23 PM
Wahoo!

:d

SIKO
02-11-2000, 02:33 PM
One of the best games Ive seen Palace play. Perhaps on Saturday he should leave Ruddock, and Co out of it the way we played last night

02-11-2000, 02:34 PM
Fantastic.

And good to have the opportunity to sing Peter Taylor's name again.

If we play like that in the league for the next few games I might even add the
Alan Smith's bit to Red & Blue Army.

arussell
02-11-2000, 03:37 PM
Have to say I was absolutely delighted with the lads last night - total commitment from them all. Was a bit sceptical when I heard that Morrison was ploughing the front-line on his own, but all credit to Smith, he got it totally right, and Leicester looked totally out of sorts.

Mullins has been a bit of a revelation (almost) since switching to right back - maybe he's happier too at playing back in defence (where I still think he is best) - certainly see no reason to switch him from there at the moment. Was delighted for Rubens and young Steve Thomson - both of whom ran their hearts out last night and of course what can you say about those two peaches they scored !! http://www.cpfc.org/ubb/smile.gif - almost jumped on the pitch when Rubens came over to us but thought better of it when I realised I might get chucked out !

As I've said elsewhere - would certainly make room for Thomson in the side this Saturday, he was confident and assured last night in everything he did.

Superb effort lads ... now can we please have more of the same on a permanent basis !?

Gaffer
02-11-2000, 03:50 PM
I'm still in shock after seeing such a stunning performance. The adrenalin carried me all the way home!

Hayden Mullins - simply outstanding, how wonderful to have this guy back. He was immense.

Great to see Alan Smith tucking Tommy inside and putting Carlisle on the wing, this was a masterstroke with Black looking HUGELY impressive.

The passing was wonderful - the build-up to Thomson's fantastic goal (he likes Filbert Street no?) the sort of interplay we haven't seen for SO long.

The confidence surged through the team and while the defence had a bit of luck with some comical goalmouth scrambles and Kolinko looked a tad suspect, the team deserved to win handsomely. Morrison and Black missed good chances to make it four.

Overall the five across the midfield plan was spot-on, well done Alan Smith.

NOW WE MUST CARRY THIS OVED TO SATURDAY. A fabulous, wondrous performance last night but it's time to get out of the mire in the league!

Bob S
02-11-2000, 03:54 PM
I don't think I've enjoyed a game as much as that since the play-off final... and what a great atmosphere.

Agree with Alan about Thompson who had an excellent game.....but so did they all.

Gives Smith a dilemma for Saturday though. Mullins at right back and Carlisle on the wing were outstanding and caused Leicester real problems throughout the game. Presumably he's going to go back to a 4-4-2 on Sat, which means (probably) dropping Carlisle for Freedman. Will Mullins continue to play at right back with the return of Fan and Staunton, or will it be a Harrison Austin Fan Staunton back four. I doubt that Thompsons perfomance will keep Pollock out of the team, so we could see some major changes for the Wednesday game.

Will S
02-11-2000, 03:57 PM
Anyone know if the goals are on the net anywhere ?

lightweight
02-11-2000, 06:05 PM
I too was shouting abuse at Mellor - listening to it on the way back.. really shut him up the bloke who explained about palace having 6 regulars out.

first time I've listenend to him since he slagged us off - just wanted to see if any palace fans would call up.

Swampy Eagle
02-11-2000, 06:11 PM
Only comment I would like to add is that last night my faith was restored.

As we all sang at the end "we're proud of you" etc. etc..... and I was.

Best night out in a long time.

Teaser
02-11-2000, 06:15 PM
I still can't believe that we won http://www.cpfc.org/ubb/smile.gif nice one boys http://www.cpfc.org/ubb/smile.gif

Sandowneagle
02-11-2000, 07:12 PM
Great night. Palace out thought and out fought Leicester. The whole team desrves credit but a special mention to the following

Mullins at right back looks the player he always threatened to be.

Austin and Smith at centre backs had no right to win a header all match against a big Leicester team. But they did.

Thompson - Exceptional performance

Black, Rubins and Carlisle for running at the poor Leicester defence all night.

Morrison - didn't stop working.

Alan Smith - Tactically superb.

If it hadn't been for Kolinko missing a number of crosses, Leicester weren't in the game.

------------------
I'm on my way......

lightweight
02-11-2000, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by Swampy Eagle:

As we all sang at the end "we're proud of you" etc. etc..... and I was.

Best night out in a long time.

Agreed - singing "we are palace, SUPER palace" for the first time with conviction this season..... http://www.cpfc.org/ubb/smile.gif

Definitely worth the trip up there - even if it did take me nearly 4 hours to get there!!!

Ian Hart
03-11-2000, 12:01 AM
I think people may be being a bit unfair on Kolinko. Overall, I thought he had a solid game. He made one particularly important save (from Eadie? coming in from the left) early in the game before we had scored, spreading himself well to make it very difficult to chip the ball past him. If we had gone a goal down then, who knows what difference it might have made.

He does try and punch a lot, but that's simply a trait of foreign keepers. We shouldn't automatically assume our way is correct. Punching gives you a split second edge. If Royce had tried to punch the cross (rather than waiting to catch it, in the normal British way) from which Morrison scored from right in front of him, he might have got it away.

Kolinko did miss-time some punches, and that is where he got himself into trouble. That's something he can work on. Overall, however, I thought he looked pretty safe last night, made some very good catches, and gave the impression of being quite a barrier. A Leicester season ticket holder who works for me was impressed by him.

Incidentally, I note the woman who kept hugging me (whom I mentioned earlier) hasn't come forward yet!

matt@teamturtle
03-11-2000, 12:13 AM
What a brilliant result.

I was able to gloat over the Brum fans at work who thought they were the dogs ******** for beating Spurs.

Who cares if Kolinko punches. He punched one that went into space and we were able to counter attack. Would't have been able to do that if he caught it.

By the way, if the bloke who gave me a complimentary ticket at the gate is reading this, cheers.

Bob S
03-11-2000, 01:42 AM
Yeah, I forgot that matt. Thanks go from me also to the guy who gave me three free tickets at the gate for my family. Saved me 30.

He told me the players gave them to him when they got off the bus.

On Mellor, I was also fuming and for the first time ever I tried to ring the programme - needless to say it was permanently engaged. Well done the bloke who got an e-mail in pointing out we were missing 6 first team regulars and got it read out on air.

Mellor = tosspot

Eagle
03-11-2000, 02:48 AM
I went last night and it was just simply breathtaking!
The performance was superb, players playing for each other and the whole outfit were superb.
Special praise must goto Mullins though, he was outstanding, you'd have thought he was a regular right back. Also Morrison run himself into the ground tonight and he deserved a goal for doing it, whoever said these 2 had an attitude problem must be mad!
All credit to Alan Smith though, he seems to have bought the best out of these 2 now since publicly criticising and they've responded, let's hope it stays that way, and they do come off the transfer list.
The rest of the team were excellent, Jamie Smith was outstanding amd just think in the second half he won everything in the air against Matt Elliott!
Rubins looking more and more settled in every game he plays and i'm sure he'll be an excellent signing for us.
Black proved last night he can cope amongst the Premiership players and as usual done it well. Was pleased to see Carlisle get a game and he showed Alan Smith he's worthy of a place in the side.
Anybody else i missed out were also excellent, the problem now for Alan Smith is who does he pick on Saturday, it's a problem but a very nice one and that!
Well done lads!!!

Palace Eagle
03-11-2000, 05:04 AM
What a day.
It was all about Palace yesterday, from the magnificent display of football to the atmosphere created by the fans, it was just superb. It was by far, one of the best away games I've been to not forgetting Tranmere last season. It'll be interesting to see what team AS picks on saturday against Wednesday. Let's hope we can do Tranmere at home and get a big tie against Man U at old traffird. Come on Palace.

------------------
I'm Palace til i die, I'm Palace til i die, WOO HOO!!!

Men At Work
03-11-2000, 05:30 AM
On Mellor, I was also fuming and for the first time ever I tried to ring the programme[/B]

He did drop in the odd snide remark about how bad we are doing in the league but for the most part seemed as if he was trying to avoid the subject. The two funniest comments were from callers. One Leicester fan complained that "Peter Taylor didn't have experience of managing a big club before he came here" while some other toady actually said "David, based on your in-depth knowledge of the game...". The sad thing is that there wasn't a trace of irony in it.

TAK
03-11-2000, 05:32 AM
Thompson's goal was a real lesson for Forrsell, when the ball at your feet and your back's to the goal, that's what you should do Mikeal.

Brett
03-11-2000, 05:42 AM
Palace v Leicester.

It was simply unbelievable.

To the guy who said it could ave been five, I say it SHOULD have been at LEAST five.

I dont think I can recall an away cup match when we totally totally murdered supposed much classier opposition.

Mellor's comments on Five Live coming back on the coach were laughable, as was the Leicester callers saying they had understrength.

Leicester - three regulars out.
Palace - SIX regulars out.

As we sang at the end....

"We should've played our first team".

http://www.cpfc.org/ubb/biggrin.gif

Gaffer
03-11-2000, 05:49 AM
Brett, not just on Mellor's show. I listened to BBC Radio Leicester and the phone-in on there was just unbelievable.

Not ONE person gave Palace a modicum of credit. One caller said "Peter Taylor's got to realise, this is our competition and he can't go fielding reserve teams, even against Palace."

RESERVE TEAM? Give me a break. And what do you mean "even" Palace. We just slaughtered you!

Mellor showed himself once again to have absolutely no idea about anything. I would have rung myself but I could never talk to the name-dropping freak without swearing.

Gaffer
03-11-2000, 05:50 AM
BTW, I also listened in horror as the Leicester fans whinged about "not having any strikers".

Er... Benjamin, Akinbiyi, Cresswell, Gunnlaugsson....

Even when Elliott went up front they were never going to score. GIVE PALACE SOME CREDIT!

Gaffer
03-11-2000, 05:57 AM
Even Neil Lennon (who was poor last night) admitted his team were outfought (from www.lcfc.co.uk) (http://www.lcfc.co.uk))

Lennon said: "Nothing went right for us and Crystal Palace on the night really deserved their win.

"We let ourselves down in the first-half by going in at 2-0 down and from there we were just chasing the game and then they scored a great third goal.

"But there are no excuses, individually I don't believe the performances was acceptable really.

"Before the match we talked about the last time we were defending the trophy and lost at Grimsby and decided we didn't want that to happen again.

"But the performance tonight was very disappointing from everyone's point of view.

"When looking for what went wrong you could start from one to 11, we didn't really improve in the second-half either.

"We got to try and forget about it, we've got a couple of days before the Manchester City game and we've got to work on a few things and get them right for Saturday.

"Palace looked a lot more hungry than we did and that's not like us.

"We've built up an ethic over the last few years where we have always been hungry and outworked the other team, but we got outworked tonight by Crystal Palace.

"You can't take anything away from Palace they deserved to win on the night and that is the most disappointing thing from our point of view.

"We understand the frustration of the fans at the end, they pay good money to come and watch us and that performance was just unacceptable."

Ash
03-11-2000, 05:57 AM
Who cares ? Sod Leicester. And their w*nky fans.

Brett
03-11-2000, 05:58 AM
The summing up of the evening was little Jamie Smith outjumping and winning every header from mighty Matt Elliot.

And lets not forget, Leicester fielded these regulars....

Sinclair
Davidson
Rowett
Gilchrist
Lennon
McKinlay
Eadie
Gunnlaugsson
Cresswell
Guppy

And after the break....

Elliot
Izzet
Benjamin

Cheer up Peter Taylor, 0-3 flattered you.

Ash
03-11-2000, 05:59 AM
Fair play to Lennon.