PDA

View Full Version : The Croydon Greyhound - Punk - Las Vegas

Palace Palare
17-04-2004, 04:36 AM
Currently on my hols in Las Vegas and I was walking by those snooty designer shops in Caesars Palace when a shirt in a shop window caught my eye. Its design was based upon a 'bill poster' from The Greyhound in Croydon advertising some early punk gigs (late 70's) at Surrey's Premier Punk Venue :) Kind of threw me a bit - like a pokey music venue from my home town immortalised on a designer shirt some 5000 miles away :cool:

Anyway, I guess that its just another sign of the global market etc. etc. but it did give me a bit of a buzz, thinking about the part The Greyhound played in the birth of British punk :p I never went to any gigs there myself, but I remember lines of Damned fans queuing up to get in there in 1976 :) Hard to miss really ;)

By the way the shirt was $180 :eek:

Isle of Wight
17-04-2004, 07:01 AM
I was there. What a great place. The highlight being a Motorhead concert when halfway through, Lemmy (blind drunk) had enough, gave up and walked off stage leading to a mini riot. Ahhhhh Happy Days.

Adrian
17-04-2004, 07:11 AM
Ah, memories. I was a reasonably regular attendant at the Greyhound during '74 and '75 - before punk - when the likes of Status Quo, Mott the Hoople, Man etc played. I must have been loadsa times but can't remember whom I saw! The bands used to drink at the bar with the rest of us, I seem to recall......
:)

redandblue
17-04-2004, 07:49 AM
We were in a bar about 10 years ago I think in Universal Studios and they had all the old BR station signs and boards for the East Grinstead to London Bridge line, they did have them all in the wrong order like Riddlesdown was somwehere out near Dormans Land and Lingfield was almost in the city

celery stick
17-04-2004, 09:49 AM
The Greyhound!
Great venue. Great memories.
I saw The Damned, The Ramones, The Jam, and er, Johnny Moped there!
Not all on the same night - that would've been something!

Adrian
17-04-2004, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by redandblue
We were in a bar about 10 years ago I think in Universal Studios and they had all the old BR station signs and boards for the East Grinstead to London Bridge line, they did have them all in the wrong order like Riddlesdown was somwehere out near Dormans Land and Lingfield was almost in the city
Did you put them in the right order, then?

redandblue
17-04-2004, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by Adrian
Did you put them in the right order, then?

No but I did tell them

RednBlue
17-04-2004, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by celery stick
The Greyhound!
Great venue. Great memories.
I saw The Damned, The Ramones, The Jam, and er, Johnny Moped there!
Not all on the same night - that would've been something! Yes indeed! I say the Pretty Things and the Nashville Teens at the Greyhound. happy Days!

The Misfit
18-04-2004, 02:34 PM
I was there! Saw Siouxsie & The Banshees, The Slits and, best of all, The Buzzcocks. I seem to recall the emcee or whatever coming on stage before they came on to ask people not to pogo cos the floor couldn't take it. Needless to say as soon as they started to play the entire audience started pogoing. Brilliant brilliant brilliant.

Palace Palare
18-04-2004, 05:01 PM
With another piece of mild irony, although I never saw The Damned at The Greyhound, I did see them 25+ years later in San Francisco. The crowd were still shouting "VVanker" at Sensible - good to see a fine Damned tradition still being respected :p

selhurst
18-04-2004, 05:32 PM
I have so many memories of Sunday nights at the Croydon Greyhound. I went to my first gig there in 1977, when The Ramones headlined. They were supported by Talking Heads. I saw the Buzzcocks, Jam, Generation X, Siouxsie & The Banshees to name but a few. When The Slits played, Malcolm McLaren turned up to watch.

For a while it was very, very exciting. I used to go to the Marquee, etc during the week, and The Greyhound most Sunday nights. But after a while it changed. They tried to stop pogoing, because of safety fears, and more and more skinheads started to turn-up (although I don't think Sham 69 ever played there).

I have attached a handbill from 1978, which was given out advertising future gigs.

Palace Palare
18-04-2004, 06:33 PM
Selhurst, it seems like you are in possession of the original shirt artwork :p

I wonder if you can claim back-royalties :confused: ;)

Where is James when you need him? :hmph:

El Aguila
18-04-2004, 06:38 PM
When did it close, then? I started going to gigs in 1979 and there was nowhere in Croydon by then - luckily I was at school in London, anyway.

selhurst
18-04-2004, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by Palace Palare
Selhurst, it seems like you are in possession of the original shirt artwork :p

That's very interesting, because it's the only handbill I have, and I used to go to The Greyhound every week. I've always been a bit of a collector, and I'm sure I would have kept any others that were handed out. Perhaps they only produced one! I do know that they were nervous about too many people turning-up at the gigs. People used to come from miles around Croydon.

selhurst
18-04-2004, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by El Aguila
When did it close, then? I started going to gigs in 1979 and there was nowhere in Croydon by then

I'm not sure El Aguila, it was probably closed by 1979 due to the dancefloor being unsafe. The crowds had started to dwindle too, as punk was pretty much over by then.

selhurst
18-04-2004, 07:24 PM
Alas, I was too young to have seen David Bowie play at the Croydon Greyhound. He played there on 25 June 1972...

Concert: Greyhound, Park Lane, Croydon. Roxy Music play support. Bowie's fame is now so great that one thousand people are turned away from this concert on Sunday. A spokesman for David Bowie's management later said " David would like to apologise to all those who were turned away last week. Another gig will be arranged in the area in the near future."

"He was on a roll at the time and we were just emerging. I think he asked for us to join him on tour. It was a very good audience for both turns" - Bryan Ferry

Pistike
18-04-2004, 10:27 PM
I had a hand bill from The Greyhound lying about for years. Same format different acts - I think Eddie and the Hot Rods though can't be sure.

OH BONDAGE UP YOURS!

gcwhite
18-04-2004, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by selhurst

Concert: Greyhound, Park Lane, Croydon. Roxy Music play support. Bowie's fame is now so great that one thousand people are turned away from this concert on Sunday. A spokesman for David Bowie's management later said " David would like to apologise to all those who were turned away last week. Another gig will be arranged in the area in the near future."

"He was on a roll at the time and we were just emerging. I think he asked for us to join him on tour. It was a very good audience for both turns" - Bryan Ferry

I was one of those people who were turned away. Us hippies were a bit put out that we couldn't get in as we were Greyhound regulars. I think there were a lot of teenyboppers there that night.

Without doubt one of the the best acts at the Greyhound circa 1970-72 were Mott the Hoople. I think it was Mott's favourite venue.

Then they went a bit strange after Bowie started working with them. I used to cringe when I saw Mott playing 'All the Young Dudes' on Top of the Pops. It bore no relationship to their stage act.

Other favourites in those days were Free, Status Quo, Taste, Deep Purple and Edgar Broughton.

PalaceFan in Alabama
18-04-2004, 11:06 PM

I told them they were in the wrong order and I was told to feck off nobody else will notice, this was in 1993.

I remember going to the Greyhound to see Bowie, Mott the Hoople, and Status Quo. I am glad I am not the only one who remembers the Greyhound.

Palace Palare
19-04-2004, 12:16 AM
That's very interesting, because it's the only handbill I have, and I used to go to The Greyhound every week. I've always been a bit of a collector, and I'm sure I would have kept any others that were handed out. Perhaps they only produced one! I do know that they were nervous about too many people turning-up at the gigs. People used to come from miles around Croydon. Well at least two handbills are in evidence now :p

Worth 10 quid with the Pretty Things on it (http://www.recollections.co.uk/prod1197.htm)

Hedgehog
19-04-2004, 01:43 AM
I remember that place I think. Wasn't it outside the park and in a place called something like Victoria Station? The place is long gone, but I went in there about 18 years ago, and it had old red phone boxes etc., plus British Rail clocks and stuff.

The Misfit
19-04-2004, 07:37 PM
I have so many memories of Sunday nights at the Croydon Greyhound. I went to my first gig there in 1977, when The Ramones headlined. They were supported by Talking Heads. I saw the Buzzcocks, Jam, Generation X, Siouxsie & The Banshees to name but a few. When The Slits played, Malcolm McLaren turned up to watch.

For a while it was very, very exciting. I used to go to the Marquee, etc during the week, and The Greyhound most Sunday nights. But after a while it changed. They tried to stop pogoing, because of safety fears, and more and more skinheads started to turn-up (although I don't think Sham 69 ever played there).

I have attached a handbill from 1978, which was given out advertising future gigs.

Ah selhurst, I'm getting all dewey eyed with nostalgia. Sunday 2nd April 1978 was the night. Buzzcocks supported by The Slits. What a gig that was.

selhurst
19-04-2004, 07:44 PM
I took a few blurred photos that night, I think they're in the loft somewhere...:cool:

SIR
19-04-2004, 07:53 PM
Never knew my beloved Croydon had this kind of musical history!! The Jam, The Ramones, The Buzzcocks, BOWIE!!!!! I was born in the wrong era :sob: Can't imagine anyone of any note ever coming here these days (unless of course a Palace fan one day climbs to great heights and plays 'Selhurst')

Phil O'Sophical
19-04-2004, 08:29 PM
Fairfield used to have great Sunday night concerts too in the 60's with the likes of The Nice (they recorded a live album during one Fairfield Concert), and King Crimson (members of both bands later became Emerson, Lake and Palmer). The Who played one of their early performances of Tommy there. Elton John played one of his "Louder Than Concorde" tour gigs there in '74 (still got the T-shirt). The music spectrum went right the way through to Stevie Wonder, the Supremes and the Four Tops.

In its early days Fairfield I believe hosted both the Beatles and the Stones from what I recall.

During the 60's and 70's Croydon was a centre of really great live music. Bit different now.

SIR
19-04-2004, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by Phil O'Sophical
Fairfield used to have great Sunday night concerts too in the 60's with the likes of The Nice (they recorded a live album during one Fairfield Concert), and King Crimson (members of both bands later became Emerson, Lake and Palmer). The Who played one of their early performances of Tommy there. Elton John played one of his "Louder Than Concorde" tour gigs there in '74 (still got the T-shirt). The music spectrum went right the way through to Stevie Wonder, the Supremes and the Four Tops.

In its early days Fairfield I believe hosted both the Beatles and the Stones from what I recall.

During the 60's and 70's Croydon was a centre of really great live music. Bit different now.

I heard once that Nick Drake once played the Fairfield. Can anyone confirm this? And to really really blow me away is there anyone who may even know someone who actually went to the gig? An all time hero of mine :afro:

Tim of the 80's
19-04-2004, 09:03 PM
I was trying to remember the name of the awful DJ and he's there on the bottom of the handout - Peter Fox (no relation to Rob I hope...)
John Rotten was there one night - the Buzzcocks were on I think and Fox played this dub track by the Revolutionaries, El Bimbo I think it was called (he used to play it every week) and in a toe-curlingly awful moment of self ingratiation dedicates it to his "very good friend backstage in the top hat". Right.

I used to come up from Tattenham Corner and get off at East Croydon. There used to be a huge piece of Graffiti on the corrugated fence opposite the station - "Slimey Toad eats Neptune Super Fish". (I saw Mr Toad play the Greyhound on a memorable night when Johnny Moped was supposed to be supporting the Damned - Moped himself chose to visit his girlfriend rather than play, leaving the band to join up with Captain Sensible and another support act The Cowards, who all played hard loving man for a very long time).

About 15 years later, my band is playing at a house party and I'm later engaged in conversation with a bloke claiming to be Slimey Toad, who tells me they're doing a reunion show with chrissie Hynde and others. At the time I chose not to believe him, but later I looked again at the back of my cover of Phsycledelic and it was indeed he.

RednBlue
20-04-2004, 07:51 AM
For those who haven't read it, read 'Rockin' and Around Croydon' will bring back a lot of great memories.....see http://freespace.virgin.net/a.west/rockin.htm

gcwhite
20-04-2004, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by Phil O'Sophical

You sometimes had a tough choice on a Sunday night. I remember one Sunday when the Nice were on at the Fairfield and Deep Purple were playing the Greyhound.

We opted for the Nice. I can't remember if it was that one but the Nice did play their farewell concert at the Fairfield with Roy Harper as the support act. I then saw Keith Emerson make his debut with ELP at the Isle of Wight festival (the Hendrix one in 1970). What a sad old hippie I am. I mainly listen to Radio 4 these days. :rolleyes:

The Misfit
20-04-2004, 08:32 PM
I took a few blurred photos that night, I think they're in the loft somewhere...:cool:

Any chance of digging them out & posting them? :p

selhurst
20-04-2004, 08:34 PM
If I can find them!
I'll try and sort them out at the weekend.

The Misfit
20-04-2004, 08:43 PM
Top man selhurst! I still get goose bumps thinking about that night. I'd never heard Buzzcocks before that gig and THEY WERE FANTASTIC. The Slits on the other hand were just Wild Things. But then, you were there so you know.

sfera
20-04-2004, 09:43 PM
I saw Lindisfarne at the Greyhound several times, and on the way out one week they were publicising next week's act: David Bowie. I didn't bother, as I hadn't heard of him, but within weeks Starman was everywhere, and I eventually saw him at the Fairfield, on the famous Ziggy Stardust tour. Also saw The Jam, Talking Heads, Nils Lofgren, Dire Straits, and loads of others including Fanny, Man, who seemed to be on most weeks, and Eddie & The Hot Rods, at the time pioneering Punks!

celery stick
21-04-2004, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by The Misfit
I was there! Saw Siouxsie & The Banshees, The Slits and, best of all, The Buzzcocks. I seem to recall the emcee or whatever coming on stage before they came on to ask people not to pogo cos the floor couldn't take it. Needless to say as soon as they started to play the entire audience started pogoing. Brilliant brilliant brilliant.

I think it was a regular problem - no one took any notice - I remember an intro to a Damned song . . .
1 - 2 - Po - Go!

The Misfit
30-04-2004, 07:32 PM
'Ere selhurst, what happened to the photos you were gonna dig out? Remember? Croydon Greyhound April '78.

Or are they lost forever?

Super Mabbutt
30-04-2004, 07:50 PM
Surely it's What EVER happened to ?

ReadingPalace
01-05-2004, 06:34 PM
I once saw Pete Shelley in The George in Beckenham. A Saturday night back in the early/mid 80s, he was just having a quiet drink with a few friends, so I didn't go and bug him.

The Misfit
02-05-2004, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by Super Mabbutt
Surely it's What EVER happened to ?

:D

Oh well, I DON'T MIND if he can't find 'em.

selhurst
02-05-2004, 12:52 PM
'Ere selhurst, what happened to the photos you were gonna dig out? Remember? Croydon Greyhound April '78. Or are they lost forever?

I'm afraid I haven't been able to find them yet, sorry.

The Misfit
02-05-2004, 07:15 PM
Oh well, thanks for trying anyway. :(

Super Mabbutt
02-05-2004, 07:39 PM
Oh well, thanks for trying anyway. :(

Something's Gone Wrong Again

Nelson Muntz
02-05-2004, 07:43 PM
What do I get?

The Misfit
03-05-2004, 11:33 AM
Oh Sh1t!

Super Mabbutt
03-05-2004, 11:43 AM
I Don't Know What To Do With My Life

(ode to a BBS user )

selhurst
12-06-2004, 05:29 PM
Well, I've been up in the loft today, and found a few things from the Punk era…

selhurst
12-06-2004, 05:30 PM
This is a handbill for The Greyhound, Croydon, from 1977.

selhurst
12-06-2004, 05:32 PM
My photographs of The Buzzcocks at The Greyhound, Croydon, taken at their first gig there on Sunday 13 November 1977. (sorry The Misfit, I originally thought I took the photos at their April 1978 gig, but I now know that they were taken in 1977).

selhurst
12-06-2004, 05:33 PM
The Buzzcocks at The Greyhound, Croydon, Sunday 13 November 1977.

DuncanW
12-06-2004, 05:38 PM
Quality photos Selhurst!

By the way, they were selling those T Shirts a couple of years back in Burro in Floral Street, Covent Garden.

selhurst
12-06-2004, 05:38 PM
The Buzzcocks at The Greyhound, Croydon, Sunday 13 November 1977.

selhurst
12-06-2004, 05:40 PM
A ticket for gigs at The Red Deer, Croydon, from 1977. A mere 40p to get in…!

selhurst
12-06-2004, 05:41 PM
My mate Chris with Bob Geldof (Boomtown Rats) and Paul Cook (Sex Pistols) at The Lyceum, 1978.

selhurst
12-06-2004, 05:42 PM
My sister Debbie, 1977.

selhurst
12-06-2004, 05:43 PM
That’s me in my punk days, with a Croydon Greyhound poster, back in 1977.

selhurst
12-06-2004, 05:44 PM
A few people I used to go to gigs with, 1977.

James Calder
12-06-2004, 06:00 PM
This is a handbill for The Greyhound, Croydon, from 1977.

Amazing stuff selhurst, thanks so much for sharing.

I love the mis-spelling of Ian Dury on that handbilll... makes him sound a bit posh!

selhurst
12-06-2004, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by James Calder
I love the mis-spelling of Ian Dury on that handbilll... makes him sound a bit posh!

Ian Dury posh...! I just can't imagine that somehow...:D
I know what you mean James, Ian Dury's name was always being mis-spelt.

Ruskin Old Boy
12-06-2004, 07:19 PM
Blimey, how old do you feel seeing those Selhurst? :eek:;)

Psychokiller
12-06-2004, 07:21 PM
Funny how haircuts and looks come back into fashion....

selhurst
12-06-2004, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by Ruskin Old Boy
Blimey, how old do you feel seeing those Selhurst? :eek:;)

It was another age ROB, but I wouldn't have missed it for the world. The funny thing is, I'm probably still a punk at heart. :cool:

selhurst
12-06-2004, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by Psychokiller
Funny how haircuts and looks come back into fashion....

Tell me about it Psychokiller. I'll be fashionable again one of these days, if I can wait long enough.

Ruskin Old Boy
12-06-2004, 08:06 PM
Palace will keep you young S'hurst :)

James Calder
12-06-2004, 08:31 PM
Tell me about it Psychokiller. I'll be fashionable again one of these days, if I can wait long enough.
Ah the good old days when I actually had hair...

:sob:

El Aguila
12-06-2004, 08:40 PM
Great stuff, Selhurst. Thank you very much.

celery stick
13-06-2004, 12:32 AM
It was another age ROB, but I wouldn't have missed it for the world. The funny thing is, I'm probably still a punk at heart. :cool:

I am!!!
:p

and a Grungehead

I feel lucky to have lived through Punk, Madchester, Grunge, and rave. No wonder I feel knackered now though . . . partying all that time!

Great pics Selhurst!!

celery stick
13-06-2004, 12:36 AM
Wire!!!
Fantastic band

Timbo
13-06-2004, 03:21 AM
Nice piccys mate

selhurst
14-06-2004, 04:51 AM
It's a shame that The Greyhound had to close, it really was a great venue.

NZsparky
14-06-2004, 04:56 AM
Bugger I feel old, anyone remember the Daleks? This is life in a big town got to no.33 in the charts in about 77/78 although I might be wrong as I have appalling long term memory..............................now what was the word?

RednBlue
15-06-2004, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by sfera
.........on the way out one week they were publicising next week's act: David Bowie. I was there!!!

celery stick
15-06-2004, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by NZsparky
Bugger I feel old, anyone remember the Daleks? This is life in a big town got to no.33 in the charts in about 77/78 although I might be wrong as I have appalling long term memory..............................now what was the word?

I do.
I saw them play a gig to about 30 people in a trashy Church hall in Reigate.

Exterminate.

They had to use the ramp at the side of the building because they could'nt go up stairs or something.

MartinE
15-06-2004, 02:38 PM
I remember getting a free single when the Damned played once - different version of Love Song and Smash it Up I seem to remember. Also remeber seeing The Cure there, supporting someone, possibly Siouxsie & The Banshees. Memorable because there wer about 4 people watching The Cure and everyone else was in the bar and to think they were on The Jonathan Ross show last week. Also remeber X-Ray Spex when Sid Vicious turned up and went on stage to join in with "Oh Bondage Up Yours". God, I feel old now!!!!!!!

Stellavista
15-06-2004, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by MartinE
I remember getting a free single when the Damned played once - different version of Love Song and Smash it Up I seem to remember. Also remeber seeing The Cure there, supporting someone, possibly Siouxsie & The Banshees. Memorable because there wer about 4 people watching The Cure and everyone else was in the bar and to think they were on The Jonathan Ross show last week. Also remeber X-Ray Spex when Sid Vicious turned up and went on stage to join in with "Oh Bondage Up Yours". God, I feel old now!!!!!!!

Don't remember that Damned freebie, but I do have a couple of the free singles given away at their first anniversary gigs at the Marquee.
'Sick of Being Sick', backed with 'Stretcher Case'.

I didn't know that the DJ at the Greyhound was called Fox.
The Fox Club was certainly the name of the Sunday night shin-digs at The Greyhound, hence the Fox head logo on Selhurst's handbills.

I started going there in about '75, when it was a proper old hippy hangout, and just carried on attending through the transition into punk, with a fairly rapid change of haircut and clothing.

Saw everyone from Cockney Rebel, Greenslade, Judas Priest, Groundhogs, and Budgie, to Buzzcocks, The Banshees, and the Jam there.
However, my fave has to be the glorious Albertos Y Los Trios Paranoias, and Eric, their eight foot fanny mascot. Outstanding.

Pistike
15-06-2004, 03:23 PM
I saw Albertos Y Los Trios Paranoias at the Sportsman, Crystal Palace Hotel whatever it was / is called.

I remember a load of nazi's in the corner.

Sorry actually that was Slodgeness Abounds.

My memory isn't great either.

PS I got a copy of the Damned 7" white label outside the Greyhound as well. God knows what heppened to it though.

loz
15-06-2004, 03:43 PM
The Daleks, I can remember were a band from Caterham and one of there members was called Eddie Turtell, who later was in a band called Stress.
I meet slimey toad in the Pawsons arms at the leeds FA cup game last season and I was quite impressed he still knew my name.
If my memory is working, did I see T.rex play with the Dammned or was that some sort of dream, it was at the Greyhound or the Faifield halls (ithink).

Tim of the 80's
16-06-2004, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by loz
The Daleks, I can remember were a band from Caterham and one of there members was called Eddie Turtell, who later was in a band called Stress.
I meet slimey toad in the Pawsons arms at the leeds FA cup game last season and I was quite impressed he still knew my name.
If my memory is working, did I see T.rex play with the Dammned or was that some sort of dream, it was at the Greyhound or the Faifield halls (ithink).

Eater were also from Caterham. But they were dreadful. The T.Rex/Damned thing is pretty likely. They toured together after The Damned made an appearance on Bolan's TV show Marc.

Kevin T
16-06-2004, 01:42 PM
Where was the Greyhound? Is it where the Blue Orchid is now?

selhurst
16-06-2004, 09:10 PM
I think so... or thereabouts.

selhurst
17-06-2004, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by Stellavista
I do have a couple of the free singles given away at their first anniversary gigs at the Marquee.
'Sick of Being Sick', backed with 'Stretcher Case'.

Yes, I got that one too Stella. The strange thing is, I can't remember going to the gig, was it cancelled? I think I got a voucher with my ticket, and had to send off for the single.

The most memorable Damned gig I went to was at The Sundown, Charing Cross Road, when The Adverts supported them back in 1977. Pure ANARCHY!!!

Pistike
18-06-2004, 08:23 AM
The Damned freebie was in fact Love Song b/w Burglar by the Doomed.

1978 according to the "official Damned" web site - I was 16! :eek:

loz
18-06-2004, 08:29 AM
Going off subject, But were the "Bully boys" who played at the star and the cartoon in the late 70s and early 80s the Damned? I was to young at 16/17 to get in these pubs.

selhurst
26-06-2004, 10:40 PM
I also played at The Cartoon, in the early 80s on audtion night! But that's another story...

Any more memories of The Greyhound...?

Eagle El
26-06-2004, 11:07 PM
Saw TRB there, (the week before Ian Dury I fink?) on the strength of 2-4-6-8 Motorway - didn't realise they were Urs buyers then...

Tim of the 80's
28-06-2004, 04:40 PM
I also played at The Cartoon, in the early 80s on audtion night! But that's another story...

Any more memories of The Greyhound...?

snap.

Pistike
28-06-2004, 05:20 PM
I remember watching the Damned from the top of a ladder behind the PA system.

Captain Sensible refused to take the stage until "the bloke with the beard has left!"

Maz
28-06-2004, 05:32 PM
I remember watching the Ramones play and play until the audience was too exhausted to applaud anymore.

And Captain Sensible chucking beer at The Jam when they played.

And Talking Heads barely getting through a set they were so nervous of all the hard core punks.

Tim of the 80's
28-06-2004, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by Maz
And Talking Heads barely getting through a set they were so nervous of all the hard core punks.

I think they used to just look that way because I'm pretty sure they did 4 or 5 encores that night. The last one was Gloria and Mark Knopfler joined in (Dire Straits were support). I had a bit of a thing for Tina Weymouth in those days...

selhurst
30-06-2004, 07:12 PM
David Byrne of Talking Heads was really nervous when they played The Greyhound (I think they're were supporting The Ramones that night). A few weeks later I was at a gig at The Roundhouse, and the DJ played this record that just blew me away. The record hadn't been played on the radio, and I was dying to know what it was. I asked someone, and they said: "Oh, that's Talking Heads, 'Psycho Killer'..."

I bought that record the next day. It was just one of those times when you hear a record for the very first time, and you just think "wow!" It was like the time I was at The Speakeasy, watching the New Hearts, and the DJ played Patti Smith. Just to hear that sound sent a shiver down my spine. I'm 43 now, but I remember it like it was yesterday. And I still love those records.

The EEEAAAGGGLLLEEE!!!
30-06-2004, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by loz
If my memory is working, did I see T.rex play with the Dammned or was that some sort of dream, it was at the Greyhound or the Faifield halls (ithink). I was the original singer in stress. I got replaced by Jason Boyce/Handley. The other original member of Stress were Nigel Dean on drums, and Paul Coleman on base. We started up rehersals in Tatsfield Village Hall.

Once I left Stress I joined a band called the Septik Klitz.

I also know Eddie Turtell and Slimey Toad (Simon Fitzgerald). I played football with them on sunday mornings for years.

Small world?

Del Gland
30-06-2004, 07:43 PM
Fond memories of the Greyhound.....

Mott
Status Quo
Sabbath
Free
The Faces
Edgar Broughton
Bowie
JSD Band
Stray
Groundhogs
The late great Rory Gallagher with and without taste
Steamhammer
East Of Eden
Stackridge
Bowie
Roxy Music
Ramones
Genesis
Barclay James Harvest
Capability Brown
Arthur Brown
Hawkwind
Pink Fairies
Family
Focus
Can
Tangerine Dream
Blodwyn Pig
Robin Trower
Dashing back from the gig at the Fairfield to catch the encores
New Years Eve with Quo
Del Stevens
Brian Mason
Urinating on the 197 back to SE25

Bad memories

Staying in the bar and missing the support act...Talking Heads
Steve Harley giving me the eye in the bar
Collapsing at a Focus gig

A major part of my childhood to partner the old Goat House disco nights. Anyone remember the Fox at the Swan and Sugar Loaf and the night of the bikers clash - like a scene out of the best western you've ever seen except for it was real and quite scary.

Del Gland
30-06-2004, 07:44 PM
Oh ...and the wonderful Fairport Convention, Yes, Heavy Metal Kids, Fanny, Skid Row!

Del Gland
30-06-2004, 07:45 PM
and Atomic Rooster!

The EEEAAAGGGLLLEEE!!!
30-06-2004, 07:48 PM
I remember seeing:-

Stray,
Badgie,
Ramones (with Talking Heads).
Slaughter and th Dogs,
Generation X
XTC
The Slits
Boomtown Rats.

Probably loads more aswell.

The EEEAAAGGGLLLEEE!!!
30-06-2004, 07:49 PM
Does anyone remember the Clash playing at Tiffinies in Purley. Slits were the support band.

loz
02-07-2004, 02:25 PM
The EEEAAAGGGLLLEEE!!!
I Used to watch you in the tatsfeild church hall, and used to play football with Eddie,simon and dave burk (drummer with JM) on sundays, even before you were in stress Nigel,Paul ,liam and I used to play a bit in my shed.After you left, Stress got quite big and supported a few bigish bands.
Yes I saw the clash at tiffinies.

PM me I must know you!

Del Gland
02-07-2004, 02:38 PM
and Nazareth

selhurst
30-07-2004, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by The EEEAAAGGGLLLEEE!!!
I remember seeing:- Boomtown Rats.

I canīt remember the Boomtown Rats playing The Greyhound. I saw them at The Marquee Club, the night Geldof almost passed-out because of the heat. I also went to the Boomtown Rats Christmas Show at Hammersmith Odeon. That was when I saw this thin blonde bird with a tattoo and skimpy top. It wasnīt until much later that I discovered it was Paula Yates, Bobīs girlfriend.

Maz
30-07-2004, 05:06 PM
Ramones (with Talking Heads).

The best gig ever in the entire history of gigs in the known universe.

(Imho...)

celery stick
31-07-2004, 10:00 AM
I remember The Jam getting mightily peed off about being spat at.
Bruce Foxton threatened to wrap his Rickenbacker round some skinheads neck! Needless to say that encouraged people to spit all the more. I thought it was gonna kick off with Weller and Foxton comiung right to the front of the stage staring this one bloke out, pointing him out to the bouncers etc.
It calmed down but I can't remember why, maybe those bouncers got him.

selhurst
17-09-2004, 05:41 PM
Johnny Ramone
R.I.P

celery stick
17-09-2004, 05:44 PM
Johnny Ramone
R.I.P

Excellent point, well made.
Gabba Gabba Hey!

The Misfit
19-09-2004, 07:34 PM
Does anyone remember the Clash playing at Tiffinies in Purley. Slits were the support band.

I realise that this was posted about 3 months ago but I've been away from the BBS for a while. Now I'm back and I spotted that this thread was still there and YYYEEESSS EEEAAAGGGLLLEEE, I was there. What a great gig it was too.

By the way Selhurst, great photos from '77.

On the subject of The Clash, the 25th anniversary re-issue of London Calling is out tomorrow complete with lost "vanilla tapes" stuff. Think I might have to pay a visit to hmv after work.

Tim of the 80's
20-09-2004, 12:53 PM
I was at Tiffany's. I remember just before The Clash started there was a large contingent pogoing and shouting "Croydon barmy Army". Strummer walks on and shouts "Hello Brighton!" I wonder if he knew...

Judge 400 Years
20-09-2004, 07:44 PM

I was skateboarding in the car park opposite, and saw all this commotion from outside the club, quite a large crowd, bit of press - rumours going around the car park that a "Punk Rocker" was coming. Then a white car pulled up and people got out one of them in black leather. And thats really all I can remember.

I don't know if it was them but I like to think I saw the Clash in their early days.

The EEEAAAGGGLLLEEE!!!
21-09-2004, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by celery stick
I remember The Jam getting mightily peed off about being spat at.
Bruce Foxton threatened to wrap his Rickenbacker round some skinheads neck! Needless to say that encouraged people to spit all the more. I thought it was gonna kick off with Weller and Foxton comiung right to the front of the stage staring this one bloke out, pointing him out to the bouncers etc.
It calmed down but I can't remember why, maybe those bouncers got him. Bruce Foxton is now in Stiff Little Fingers, and I saw them playing in Cincinnati last month. It was a great gig, but him and Jake Burns look a lot older these days. I suppose they must be in thier late 40's now.

selhurst
17-12-2005, 09:36 PM
Bump.
Been playing a fair bit of 70s punk lately, and remembering those crazy nights at The Greyhound.

Tim of the 80's
18-12-2005, 09:52 AM
I've recently bought a Philips Hard Drive - it's principle advantage over other MP3 players is you can record vinyl straight into it from your hi-fi headphone jack. So I'm gradually migrating all my rarer punk singles, all the stuff that tends not to appear on Best Punk Album in the World Ever whenever it comes out to WMA's. And reliving the great days at the same time.

Smoz
18-12-2005, 12:37 PM
I have been on a bit of a punk/new wave nostalgia trip myself. Saw Wreckless Eric & The Damned down in Brighton a few weeks ago & saw Blondie at Shepherds Bush Empire last night.

All three were good, I have seen both Wreckless & The Damned many times before but last night was the first time I have seen Blondie live & was surprised at how good they still are on stage, excellent rhythm section.

Got the Pogues coming up at Brixton on Wednesday, it’s that time of year again.