PDA

View Full Version : I Hate Football

Elephant with mouse gyp
05-05-2004, 07:43 AM
Not me but Will Buckley, a sports journalist, who has had enough. Any self-recognition for anyone here?

http://football.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,9753,1209575,00.html

El Aguila
05-05-2004, 07:51 AM
Yeah.
Mid-life crisis, they used to call it.

selhurstparkflyer
05-05-2004, 08:18 AM
Maybe I am getting old.

While I love Palace and England (especially when we are winning) I find it harder and harder to get motivated by any other game.

There is a lot wrong with the game, the cheating, the dissent and the arrogance of so many players. And I am really not sure the product is that good anymore. Crowds in the European Cup are dwindling in all but Britain and the competition in the Prem League is being reduced all the time.

Some may point to the technical side and that's fair enough but I think the excitement aspect needs more stimulus. How I don't know.

Son of Selhurst
05-05-2004, 08:28 AM
Football is boringly predictable?? He's never supported Palace then.....

Elephant with mouse gyp
05-05-2004, 08:58 AM
I half agree with Buckley and half don't. I still love football. Watching Ronaldinho the other night brought a tear to my eye and both Dougie and Julian Gray have done the same to me in recent weeks.

What I agree with him is on the way football has become this big vacuum cleaner sucking up the rest of culture, all the periphery Footballers Wives, Posh and Becks stuff, the way people who don't really have an interest in football feel they have to talk about it and especially the way journalists don't write about the pattern of the game itself, though that's more of a British problem.

E.X Moontoad
05-05-2004, 10:32 AM
I know what he means about Football overshadowing other sports. Even over the summer months this continues to be the case, whereas not so long ago Cricket, Athletics and Tennis (Wimbledon) would take precedence.
I was only thinking to myself the other day, will there ever be a time when for example, a cricketer becomes a national hero and part of the national psyche in the way that the likes of Boycott, Botham, Gower, etc did in my youth?
Maybe (and to partly answer my own question), it would take some truly Botham like heroics or a British Wimbledon champion to temporarily knock Football off the centre stage. But such is the dominance of Football, you feel that this would not last for long (as proved by the Rugby World Cup), and that the days of the Benson And Hedges cup final and the latest big athletics meeting at Crystal Palace making the back page headlines, have long since gone.

JohnA
05-05-2004, 10:36 AM
He's an Arsenal supporter. I think he ghosted Adam's book.
He is right about the saturation coverage & hype of Sky though. I'd rather they did quality not quantity.

E.X Moontoad
05-05-2004, 10:39 AM
I think it was Ian Ridley, who ghosted the Adams book, John.

El Aguila
05-05-2004, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Elephant with mouse gyp
I half agree with Buckley and half don't. I still love football. Watching Ronaldinho the other night brought a tear to my eye and both Dougie and Julian Gray have done the same to me in recent weeks.

I was going to say that Palace and Barcelona are two teams who are keeping their fanbases excited. So I can hardly grumble at the moment. Mostly fans just want to see a bit of joy in playing the game and that, I think, is where the Real madrid or Chelsea fans start grumbling about their miserable millionaires.

Sick Bucket
05-05-2004, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by Elephant with mouse gyp

What I agree with him is on the way football has become this big vacuum cleaner sucking up the rest of culture, all the periphery Footballers Wives, Posh and Becks stuff, the way people who don't really have an interest in football feel they have to talk about it and especially the way journalists don't write about the pattern of the game itself, though that's more of a British problem.

I agree with you, if you look carefully enough you can still find the magic. As I have mentioned a number of times I have had to adopt Barca as my new club, they are on a great role at the moment and the boy Ronaldinho plays with a smile on his face and gets people out of there seats, a true star.

limited_edition
05-05-2004, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Sick Bucket
I agree with you, if you look carefully enough you can still find the magic. As I have mentioned a number of times I have had to adopt Barca as my new club, they are on a great role at the moment and the boy Ronaldinho plays with a smile on his face and gets people out of there seats, a true star. Hard to tell who has the worst barnet at Barca, Ronaldinho or Rijkaard. But they are both doing a great job.

El Aguila
05-05-2004, 12:25 PM
I think Rijkaard looks rather cool (and I know him to be rather cool - Kim Deal once showed me a photo she had taken with him, backstage at a Breeders concert).

Latvian Eagle
05-05-2004, 12:32 PM
I actually half hope Barcelona win the Spanish League this season. They've done really well to come from about 9th to within 5 points of 1st. Not so long ago they were about 8 points behind Depor and 14 behind Valencia and Madrid.

As a friend pointed out, if their run had started one game before the winter break they'd be 2nd and 2/3 points behind Valencia. :eek:

El Aguila
05-05-2004, 12:34 PM
Spoken like a true Real Madrid fan.

Latvian Eagle
05-05-2004, 12:36 PM
Que? :D

I just think that given their stunning form they deserve to win La Liga.

JohnA
05-05-2004, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by E.X Moontoad
I think it was Ian Ridley, who ghosted the Adams book, John.

I got them confused

limited_edition
05-05-2004, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by El Aguila
I think Rijkaard looks rather cool (and I know him to be rather cool - Kim Deal once showed me a photo she had taken with him, backstage at a Breeders concert). That Soul Glo circa 1988 perm is not cool. Just ask Chris Kamara. At least Frank's ditched the 'tache. Glad he's doing well. Felt sorry for him in Euro 2000. He had little or no managerial experience and there was huge expectation for Holland, as co-hosts, to win the trophy.

Son of Ron
05-05-2004, 12:50 PM
sure this isn't a woman's ramblings ?!

one bit I agree with is the media's obsession with everything Premier League - but I guess next season when we're in it I won't mind so much ! ;)

El Aguila
05-05-2004, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by limited_edition
That Soul Glo circa 1988 perm is not cool. Just ask Chris Kamara. At least Frank's ditched the 'tache. Glad he's doing well. Felt sorry for him in Euro 2000. He had little or no managerial experience and there was huge expectation for Holland, as co-hosts, to win the trophy.
He's a scruff, so is Ronaldinho. I like that..... I, too have my scruffy side.

AndyStreet
05-05-2004, 03:12 PM
Anybody who has grown to hate football should watch some Ronaldinho. The way he plays is quite simply beautiful.

Ruskin Old Boy
05-05-2004, 04:38 PM
Speaking as a football writer surely he's part of the problem? Can't see the wood for the trees? Fecking S$y took off in this country for one reason only - buying up football to sell to couch potatoes. Murdoch and Blatter, the undynamic duo.

Hate Murdoch? Yes

Hate football? Never

El Aguila
05-05-2004, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by AndyStreet
Anybody who has grown to hate football should watch some Ronaldinho. The way he plays is quite simply beautiful.
I agree with that.

AndyStreet
05-05-2004, 05:01 PM
http://www.danceconcept.com/ronaldinho.gif

El Aguila
05-05-2004, 05:01 PM
The football press is bloody terrible over here as well. Michael Robinson has a pretty good TV show but the rest is awful and the amount of time dedicated to it on serious news programmes, utterly disproportionate.

Great Lombardi
05-05-2004, 05:03 PM
Yeah , but the way he looks is quite hideous.

El Aguila
05-05-2004, 05:09 PM
ooops.

El Aguila
05-05-2004, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by Great Lombardi
Yeah , but the way he looks is quite hideous.
Michael Robinson? He doesn't wear the Brighton shirt any more.

Great Lombardi
05-05-2004, 05:14 PM
good gag. No the buck toothed wonderboy.

will hung
05-05-2004, 08:17 PM
An interesting article which articulates a lot of my feelings about how over-hyped football is now. Due to my perverse nature I had more fun following Palace in the grey old days of the early-mid 1980s when to admit liking the game in polite society was to risk ridicule. The blanket coverage of all things Prermiership also depresses me, I hate seeing faces of grown crying when their team gets relegated, promoted or their idols arrested in La Manga. After all what is football except 22 sweaty oafs chasing a ball around