PDA

View Full Version : Was that the worst Cup Final in living memory?

James
22-05-2004, 04:00 PM
It was for me. I can't remember the last time I lost interest in a Cup Final before the first half had ended, and abandoned it in favour of a stroll round the garden.

Absolutely predictable result between two horrible Teams.

riz
22-05-2004, 04:01 PM
Although the result was justified, this has got to be one of the worst cup finals I can remember.
Infact the only reason I continued to watch it was a 25 bet on Nistlerooy to get a hatrick.

Maybe I have been spoilt with the thrillers my beloved Palace have given me lately.

PhilD
22-05-2004, 04:06 PM
It was a very poor game and although I do remember several other very bad ones (Man Utd Vs Liverpool, Villa Vs Chelsea) in recent years, I can't remember a more one sided final.

Son of Selhurst
22-05-2004, 04:11 PM
It was always going to be a one-sided final... I was online for the 2nd half, which shows how interested I was in it - normally the phone is unplugged, curtains are drawn, and mates are round drinking till we're legless....

At least the millwall scum will shut up now.

Son of Selhurst
22-05-2004, 04:12 PM
Also, Martin Tyler has just proved that he's NEVER been to a game against Millwall in the league.

Simon A
The highlight of the whole Cup Final for me was my other half turning to me at the end with a quizzical look on her face and and saying "so if Palace win on Saturday, do they have to play Man Utd?" :bash:

bobmatt
Originally posted by James
It was for me. I can't remember the last time I lost interest in a Cup Final before the first half had ended, and abandoned it in favour of a stroll round the garden. My Garden isn't big enough to take 45mins to stroll round. :D :D

James
22-05-2004, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Simon A
The highlight of the whole Cup Final for me was my other half turning to me at the end with a quizzical look on her face and and saying "so if Palace win on Saturday, do they have to play Man Utd?" :bash: I hope you were polite enough to tell her that indeed yes - victory next Saturday will mean we have to play United twice next Season.

selhurst
22-05-2004, 04:17 PM
I think the FA Cup as a competition has been in decline, since Wembley Stadium closed. Man Utd may have won today, but they didn't even bother playing in the competition a few years back. And I wonder how long it will be before the BBC stop bidding for the TV rights to cover the Final.

marky1919
22-05-2004, 04:18 PM
Terrible. At least if we'd be playing Man Utd, we would have given them something to raise their eyebrows over! Routledge, Gray, AJ, Butts and Hughesy. We would have given them a game. Maybe even a goal or two. Although I hate Millwall and wanted them to lose, they were an absolute disgrace, no style or class. Thank God next Saturday will be better!

cantspell
22-05-2004, 04:20 PM
Got bored.

Did the gardening

2can
22-05-2004, 04:24 PM
It wasn't that bad at all - Millwall were hilarious!

Strathclyde Eagle
22-05-2004, 04:25 PM
Schmeichel on Ronaldo: "I've only ever seen Zidane do that trick in a game."

Yes, well our Wayne has done it plenty of times, and caused a better result. Still, don't suppose you'd ever consider watching a Palace vs Stoke game, would you?

And don't get me started on Mark Lawrenson. :veryangry

All around, awful.

bobmatt
22-05-2004, 04:25 PM
Watched a bit of the first half, got bored and spent the rest of the game moving a tonne of york stone from the front garden to the back garden, now totally knackered.

wighteagle
22-05-2004, 04:26 PM
Quite agree, it was the worst final I can recall. By half time I had lost interest and normally I don't want to be disturbed by anyone on cup final day. It has lost something now that it's not at Wembley any more. I miss the steps up to the Royal Box and the cup being presented there. This is the first year that I haven't watched any of the celebrations because I detest both teams involved.

22-05-2004, 04:30 PM
Yes, a dreary, drab performance, but Hell, what did you all expect from Millscum, for Chrissakes?

Any of you who went to The New Den to see us this season, or indeed the Boxing Day game at the cradle, will know that we wuz robbed in the first by a last-gasp error after fielding one of our weakest sides of the season, due to all those early red cards and some injuries.

Plus we should have thrashed them on Boxing Day but their early goal and our lack of confidence in ourselves was still apparent.

But if Millscum had to make such a hard job of it against us at that time, how were they ever going to do anything at all against Manchester United? The magic of the Cup, you say? Yeah, yeah - Millscum + Magic -forget it.

Furthermore their presence at the FA Cup Final was possibly the least deserved in the Cup's entire venerable history - replays against Telford United and Colchester and Tranmere and Sunderland (who were certainly the strongest opposition they had to face throughout their run).

No, in truth, the Millscum were just happy to be there. It will never happen again and the players and the management and the supporters all know it. They'll have a smashing day out and no doubt get the 'respect' factor from any loitering Manure 'fans' and/or Cardiff-ers.

Millscum also have no need to cry into their chins because apart from the flukiest entry into the FA Cup Final ever, they also qualified for the UEFA Cup next season, and all their supporters know that is a huge cash boost to their little club.

So all-in-all, no complaints, I wouldn't have thought, from true Millscummers.

As for the rest of us - really it would have been better to show it on a Sky Pay-Per-View Channel and leave the rest of us in peace.;)

Strathclyde Eagle
22-05-2004, 04:39 PM
And what's with having the pre-match walk around the pitch, carrying mobile phones and calling relatives about? At least carry the illusion that you're intending to be competitive.

Duffle Coat
22-05-2004, 04:48 PM
No, Arsenal Southampton by a very long way was the worst. This at least had some quality goals.

Palace Palare
22-05-2004, 05:07 PM
Were Jordan and Paphitis holding hands?

mojoeagle
22-05-2004, 05:16 PM
I have got flu and needed something to get me off to sleep this did the trick for me.

Panman268
22-05-2004, 05:16 PM
Although not as bad as today's match, I can't say our replay against Man U was the greatest game I've ever been to.

Steve in Phoenix
22-05-2004, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by 2can
It wasn't that bad at all - Millwall were hilarious!

Agreed.. it had real comedy value. :p :D

Steve in Phoenix
22-05-2004, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by beestey
Millscum also have no need to cry into their chins because apart from the flukiest entry into the FA Cup Final ever, they also qualified for the UEFA Cup next season, and all their supporters know that is a huge cash boost to their little club.

I cant imagine the cash boost is that big. Its barely a round ahead of the Intertoto and teams turn that down because they actually lose money going to exciting places like Dynamo Tbilisi. I wouldnt be surprised if Palace or West Ham have made more money in the playoffs than Millwall will do from Europe.

dorkinglad
22-05-2004, 05:46 PM
It was certainly not the worst final I've ever seen and I can remember as far back now as 1964 but it was one of the least competiative.

The Millwall fans were superb and their team already seriously weakened by injuries and ridiculous suspensions never gave up. They showed some true London grit today. Unfortunately they were out-classed by a Manchester team that played well within themselves.

The worst final has to the 1-0 Manchester v Liverpool game in the mid 90's. Apparently Cantona scored but by then I'd given up watching.

Manchester City versus Leicester from 1969 was also a shocker as was the one from the previous year which WBA won by an Astle goal in extra time.

Panther
22-05-2004, 05:49 PM
I would have expected at least a little bit of passion from Millwall (and I don't count Wise's nasty little tricks as passion). They didn't play particularly badly but just seemed to accept from the start that they weren't going to win against a United side that was certainly beatable by a team with a bit more ambition but who didn't have to break sweat to achieve an easy victory.

PalaceFan in Alabama
22-05-2004, 05:52 PM
I am so glad the price of PPV put me off and I worked in my garden and on a computer for a friend :p

PFiA 10 :lux:

kolinkins
22-05-2004, 07:35 PM
It truely stank. I can remember a recent cup final where the celebrations were so muted by a winning team.

I normally like Andy Gray, but today he showed he did not watch our match against Sunderland. He was so surprised that there was a contested drop ball. If he really watched all levels of the game as ge likes to profess, he would have known there were 2 or 3 on Monday night.

Super Mabbutt
22-05-2004, 07:39 PM
was there a cup final today ?

oz_da II
22-05-2004, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by kolinkins
If he really watched all levels of the game as ge likes to profess, he would have known there were 2 or 3 on Monday night.

3 drop balls :p

and it was highlighted on Soccer AM this morning. :)

Santos-er
22-05-2004, 07:54 PM
Arsenal v Newcastle a few years back was utterly crap.

(a grudging) Well done to the Millwall fans today. They were far better than their team.

Now watch some real passion from fans and players at the Millenium stadium NEXT Saturday. It's gonna be a cracker :p :)

TrevorWel
22-05-2004, 08:04 PM
I was only really entertained for one moment during the game.

To the tune of "we'll support you ever more" the Mill fans taunted the Mancs with "your support is f@cking s#it"!

In an utterly witty reply, the Mancs came back with "loyal supporters"!

As Austin Powers would say:

RRRRRRRRRRRRIIIIIIGGGGGHHHHHTTTTTTTTT

Santos-er
22-05-2004, 08:09 PM
I really, really want to go to OT next season. Oh, the fun we will have with the prawn sandwich brigade :D

Scifo
22-05-2004, 08:09 PM
The FA Cup would be a lot more exciting if the winner were to qualify for the Champions League.

Santos-er
22-05-2004, 08:10 PM
"shit ground, no fans" will have to be for starters...

Santos-er
22-05-2004, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by Scifo
The FA Cup would be a lot more exciting if the winner were to qualify for the Champions League.

But since Man Ure finished third, that would put Millwall into the CL qualifiers! :eek:

Granada allover
22-05-2004, 08:23 PM
Neither team had anything to lose - that's why it was so boring.

To Man U it was just a so-what consolation prize, for Millwall it was all about being there (and shirt-swapping at the final whistle). I've seen more passionate Charity Shields (Bremner/Keegan etc).

There has to be something to lose, as well as gain, for any match to be a real occasion.

Er, now, on the other hand... next Saturday anyone?

davematt
22-05-2004, 08:26 PM
The whole occasion was awful. Man Utd did not look over the moon to be there, and their celebrations were so depressing. Millwall would of had a great day out, but never really showed what they are capable of. If Dichio had not of been suspended, they would of created more chances, but playing 1 up front was always going to be tough, especially with their defence playing against players like Giggs, Scholes, Ruud, and the outstanding Ronaldo.

Scifo
22-05-2004, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by Santos-er
But since Man Ure finished third, that would put Millwall into the CL qualifiers! :eek:
Nah, in this instance Man U would automatically qualify for the Champions League and Chelsea and Liverpool would go into the qualifiers, the cup runner-ups. It would mean that for a team to qualify automatically for the champions league they'd have to be the Winner of their countries league or major trophy. (unless another team has done the double)

we_8_brighton
22-05-2004, 09:18 PM
It was a trainning game for Man Utd. Nice to see Millwall stuffed though. Wise was a disgrace imo should have been sent off.

welshneil
22-05-2004, 09:39 PM
I went to B & Q! Zzzzzzzzzzzz

saul1664
22-05-2004, 09:57 PM
To be fair, I thought Millwall did quite well. I thought Palace would get beat at least 3 or 4 against the Mancs so they did fair enough, and were frustrating United enough before they scored. Admittedly I had 50 at 8/11 Man Utd -1 goal which kept me interested more than I should have been. What we have to realise is that we are not that far ahead of Millwall (points wise), and this is the gulf between the divisions (I think Man Utd never got out of first gear). I liked Iffill for Millwall, I think he gave Man Utd a bit of a runaround, but no-one was able to take advantage through the middle, and Cahill was ok in midfield. Ronaldo showed Routledge type tricks and Keane seems a bit more reserved these days. Antics of Wise and Van Nistelrooy (who had a poor game but still got two goals) soured the match, they are both as odious as each other and made me not want to support either team. Could have done with another Manc goal as I had 4-0 as a correct score as well. I think Millwall deserve credit for getting there no matter how much we hate them - doesn't matter who you play, you still have to get a result, and a nationwide team in an FA Cup final and in Europe is a rare feat nowadays.

Saul

oz_da II
22-05-2004, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by saul1664
Van Nistelrooy (who had a poor game but still got two goals)

Named Man of the Match over the loud speaker with five minutes to play.

What was that all about? :confused:

saul1664
22-05-2004, 10:05 PM
Ronaldo surely or Keane who seems to be far more effective now he's not running around the pitch hacking everybody down...

Men At Work
23-05-2004, 12:05 AM
I can't comment on the quality of the game as I fell asleep three times while watching it.

Twyford Bee
23-05-2004, 06:00 PM
It wasn't that bad, the first half was OK. People have been moaning about crap cup finals for a decade so I don't see why this one should stand out particularly. I agree that the Man U v Liverpool one in 1995 was worse, and ones like Man U v Newcastle in 1999 and Chelsea v Aston Villa in 2000 were also not very good. At least we saw a genuine battle for a drop ball! Don't get many of them these days.

redandblue
23-05-2004, 06:14 PM
I really enjopyed the first half the worst FA cup final was the Coventry one that had somthing like 44 back passes to the keeper and was the reason that the rule preventing the keeper from picking up form a back pass was introduced. I was on a stag night, i use this term lightly as the bride had rescued the stag at about 6pm and he passed out whilst the rest of us and the bride went for a curry and carried on properly. Anyway it was a great atmosphere in the pub though I must admit I had lost interest long before the end

Gooders
23-05-2004, 06:24 PM
Dreadful

Ruskin Old Boy
23-05-2004, 06:30 PM
The Millscum banner in English and Welsh was pretty neat.

pauldrulez
23-05-2004, 07:02 PM
No, Didn't you see the skills on offer by the players.

THERE'S TWO RONALDOS NOT ONE.

MartinE
24-05-2004, 08:41 AM
Was that the worst performance in a Cup Final or what. I don't think I've ever seen a team turn up with the pure objective of keeping the score down. Did they actually have a shot in the whole game? Granted, Man U are a top Premiership team but they are not as good as they have been and a midfield with Fletcher as the play maker should hardly put the fear of God up anyone. All that tosh from Wise and Wilkins along the lines of "we're proud of the lads" was pathetic. At least if anyone from the top six had been in the final, I'm sure that would have had a go. The likes of Millwall are going to make one final in a blue moon (and they must have had the easiest route to a Final in history) so why not actually try and win the game? Absolute crap!!!

Simon A
24-05-2004, 08:45 AM
Millwall are an embarrassment to football full stop. :moo:

arussell
24-05-2004, 08:47 AM
What's this got to do with "transfers" then ? :rolleyes:

Granada allover
24-05-2004, 08:48 AM
It was an excellent post-season friendly. Stop complaining...

Shoreditch CPFC
24-05-2004, 08:51 AM
I still can't believe they had a parade despite losing ! That really is astonishing.

Granada allover
24-05-2004, 08:59 AM
Millwall went to Cardiff knowing they were going to lose but with the motive of trying to salvage a dodgy reputation.

Once you have that mindset, the game's a mere kickaround.

All their fans could talk about afterwards was how well behaved they had been. In fairness, I don't blame them for doing that - but they weren't <cliche alert> gutted. And if you're not gutted when you lose, you're not up for winning in the first place.

LeeSinnots ears
24-05-2004, 09:06 AM
Thank god somebody has started this I had no access on line over the weekend otherwise I would have been straight on.

It was the worst final by miles Milwall were an absolute joke,totally useless and isn't it nice to see the Journos seeing through that little jerk Wise and actulally describing him as he is a very little man in every sense

ReadingPalace
24-05-2004, 09:16 AM
I failed to summon up any enthusiasm at all for this year's Cup Final. Aside from the odd year when I've been out of the country, I've watched every final since the early 1970s. This year, however, I just knew it was a foregone conclusion, so I took my two year old daughter to the park instead.

charltonhater
24-05-2004, 10:00 AM
I thought it was the best FA cup final for seven or eight years. Normally it is nonstop negative football from both sides. There were something like 20 attempts on goal from ManU last night.

Lambeth Palace
24-05-2004, 10:29 AM
Yeah, perhaps they should give a bye to the final for Carlisle next season. That would mean more attempts on goal and the best final ever. :rolleyes:

Sunny Fan
24-05-2004, 11:58 AM
I watched the cricket. That was excellent at times.

PengeEagle
24-05-2004, 12:20 PM
they have always been an embarassment to themselves!

sydnsteve
24-05-2004, 12:26 PM
I didn't think they were too bad to be honest, and Harris was totally through when on side, and would have had only the keeper to beat, if the linesman had not got it so badly wrong. I don't see what else they could have done with Dichio out, and if they'd gone in at half time 0-0 things may have been different. Once Utd scored it was all over, but I think this criticism (except that of Wise, who is such a nasty bit of work) is a bit OTT.

Clapham Grand
24-05-2004, 12:33 PM
Wise was also a disgrace to football

sunshine lucas
24-05-2004, 12:39 PM
A warm up game.

Ronaldo must have been watching our Wayne me thinks...;)

andy1905
24-05-2004, 12:40 PM
Have a Millwall fan at work, told him in no uncertain terms that they were cr@p,

He did not care, he went for the day out, and was pi$$ed off as he had a bet on 4-0 man u. All they were intrested in was reapairing some of their dodgy reputation!

worst cup final in years!, last great one was 1990 according to the sun!